本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你觉得学习语法难吗?
Do you find learning grammar hard?
我们为你准备了一档播客。
We have a podcast for you.
在对话中聆听语法,学习使用技巧,并通过游戏和测验检验所学。
Hear grammar in conversation, learn the tips to use it, and test what you've learned with games and quizzes.
在播客应用中搜索'学习英语语法',或访问bbclearningenglish.com获取最新节目。
Search learning English grammar in your podcast app or find the new episodes at bbclearningenglish.com.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这里是BBC英语学习的六分钟英语节目。
This is six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是菲尔。
I'm Phil.
我是皮帕。
And I'm Pippa.
本期我们将探讨礼仪——关于礼貌行为的规则,特别是用餐时的行为准则与禁忌。
In this episode, we're discussing etiquette, the rules about what makes polite behaviour, and in particular the dos and don'ts about what you should and shouldn't do when eating.
那么菲尔,你认为用餐时最不该做的行为是什么?
So Phil, what's the worst thing someone can do while eating in your opinion?
对我来说,是你做这件事时太吵了。
For me, it's being very noisy when you do it.
我受不了这个。
I can't stand it.
好吧。
Okay.
我对饮食没有太多规矩,但从小就被教导不要把手肘放在餐桌上。
I don't have too many rules about eating, but I was always told growing up that you shouldn't have your elbows on the table.
我一直不太明白为什么,但这个规矩我记得特别清楚。
And I never really understood why, but I always remember that one.
接下来我们将从几位大学生和一位英国礼仪专家那里了解更多关于餐桌礼仪的内容。
So we'll be hearing more about mealtime manners from some college students and an expert on British etiquette.
和往常一样,我们会学习一些有用的新词汇和短语,所有这些都可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到。
And as usual, we'll be learning some useful new words and phrases, all of which you can find on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
但首先,我有个问题要问你,皮帕。
But first, I have a question for you, Pippa.
关于礼貌行为的观念在不同国家差异很大。
Ideas about polite behaviour change a lot from country to country.
当BBC节目《食物链》向全球听众询问他们国家的餐桌礼仪时,你认为最常见的投诉是什么?
So when BBC programme The Food Chain asked listeners from around the world about eating manners in their country, what do you think was the most common complaint?
是a、用手吃饭,b、吃饭发出声响,还是c、在餐桌上打嗝?
Was it a, people eating with their hands, b, people eating noisily, or c, people burping at the table?
我觉得不是用手吃饭的问题,因为世界上很多人本来就习惯用手吃饭。
I don't think it's people eating with their hands because lots of people around the world do that as kind of their normal way of eating.
但也许是b,人们吃东西发出噪音,我想。
But maybe it's b, people eating noisily, I think.
就像你提到的,菲尔,那确实很烦人。
Like you mentioned, Phil, that's quite annoying.
我们将在节目稍后揭晓答案。
Well, we'll find out the answer later in the programme.
《食物链》节目还采访了伦敦威斯敏斯特城市学院的学生关于家庭晚餐时间的看法。
The food chain also interviewed students at London's City of Westminster College about family dinner times.
塞缪尔19岁,来自塞拉利昂;阿雅18岁,是英国人,但她的家人来自伊拉克。
Samuel is 19 and from Sierra Leone, and Aya is 18 and British, but her family are from Iraq.
让我们听听他们与BBC国际频道《食物链》节目的对话。
Let's listen as they chat with BBC World Services, the food chain.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为第一印象确实很重要,因为你如何展现自己、向他人呈现怎样的形象也非常关键。
I would say first impressions really do matter because it also it's really important how you portray yourself, how you present yourself to the person.
我最不想看到的就是大声咀嚼或者张着嘴吃饭,拜托了谢谢。
What I don't wanna see is any loud chewing or with your mouth open, please and thank you.
但我希望看到的是眼神交流、愉快交谈以及正确使用餐具。
I would like to see, though, eye contact, having a conversation, using your cutlery.
有时候——虽然可能对其他人来说有点挑剔——我会建议在膝盖上放张纸巾以防弄洒食物。
Sometimes, and I thought this could be like picky for everyone else, but having a tissue or a napkin on your lap just in case you spill anything.
学生们认为餐桌礼仪很重要。
The students think etiquette is important.
塞缪尔说,关键在于给人留下良好的第一印象。
Samuel says it's about making a good first impression.
第一印象是你初次见到某人时对其形成的看法。
Your first impression is the opinion you form about someone when you meet them for the first time.
在阿雅看来,张着嘴吃东西无疑是很粗鲁的。
For Aya, eating with your mouth open is definitely rude.
她还认为人们应该使用餐巾,尽管这可能被视为挑剔。
She also thinks people should use a napkin, although that could be seen as picky.
这里的挑剔是指对规则过于严格。
Picky here means being too strict about the rules.
对这群学生而言,表达对餐食的尊重和感激非常重要,这种观念在历史上大多数(即便不是全部)文化中都普遍存在。
For this group of students, showing respect and appreciation for the meal is very important, And this idea is common across most, if not all, cultures throughout history.
想象一下《权力的游戏》这样的电视剧场景。
So imagine a scene from a TV show like Game of Thrones.
两支敌对势力停止交战,达成和平,现在共进餐食。
Two enemy forces have stopped fighting, made peace and now gather for a meal.
首领们碰杯,即举起酒杯相碰并致祝酒词。
The leaders clink glasses, meaning they lift up and touch drinks and make a toast.
他们举起酒杯一饮而尽以示敬意。
They hold up a glass of alcohol and drink it to show respect.
请记住这个画面,我们将听到英国礼仪教练鲁珀特·韦森解释人们为何要碰杯。
Now keep that image in mind because we're going to hear British etiquette coach Rupert Wesson explaining why people clink glasses.
他正在接受BBC国际频道节目《食物链》主持人露丝·亚历山大的采访。
Here he is talking to Ruth Alexander, presenter of BBC World Service programme, The Food Chain.
也许最简单的例子就是,为什么我们在敬酒时要碰杯?
Perhaps the simplest example is why do we clink glasses when we have a toast?
如果你碰杯,你的饮料会洒一点到他的杯子里,他的饮料也会洒一点到你的杯子里。
If you clink glasses, you're slopping a bit of your drink into his cup and he's slopping a bit of drink into your cup.
因此,通过这样的敬酒,你在展示:看,我信任你,你也信任我,这就是我们这么做的原因。
And therefore, by having that toast, you are showing, look, I trust you, you trust me, and that's why we do it.
如果你在我的饮料里下了毒,现在毒酒洒进了你的杯子,你就不会喝它。
If you've poisoned my drink that's now slopped into your cup, you won't drink it.
没错。
Correct.
关于餐桌戴帽子的问题,BBC国际频道的听众们普遍认为这是不礼貌的行为。
Hats at the table, we're hearing from BBC World Service listeners that that is a no no.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
我是不会这么做的。
It's not something I would do.
事实上,我根本不会在室内戴帽子。
In fact, I would not be wearing a hat inside anyway.
所以菲尔,当我们碰杯敬酒时,我的酒可能会洒进你的杯子,你的酒也可能会洒进我的杯子。
So Phil, when we clink glasses in a toast, some of my drink might spill into your glass and some of your drink might spill into mine.
从历史上看,这种酒水混合的方式是为了证明酒里没有下毒。
Historically, this mixing of drinks was a way of proving the drinks were not poisoned.
露丝还询问了关于餐桌上戴帽子的问题,鲁伯特称这是‘禁忌’。
Ruth also asked about wearing hats at the table, and Rupert calls this a no no'.
'no no'是一个非正式短语,指社会普遍认为不可接受的行为。
A no no' is an informal phrase for something that is considered socially unacceptable.
礼仪随时间和文化差异很大,但核心始终是通过某些行为和避免其他行为来表达尊重。
Etiquette varies a lot over time and culture, but the essential point is always to show appreciation by doing some things and avoiding others.
说到要避免的行为,菲尔,你问题的答案是什么?
And speaking of things to avoid, what was the answer to your question, Phil?
好的,我问过你《食物链》节目的听众认为用餐时最大的礼仪问题是什么。
Okay, well, I asked you what listeners of the food chain thought was the biggest etiquette problem when people are eating.
你说是人们吃东西发出噪音,我可以揭晓这是正确答案。
You said that it was people eating noisily, and I can reveal that's the right answer.
就是人们吃东西发出噪音。
It was people eating noisily.
好的。
Okay.
让我们回顾一下学到的用餐礼仪词汇。
Let's recap the vocabulary we've learnt about mealtime do's and don'ts.
关于应该和不应该有的行为规范。
Rules about how you should and shouldn't behave.
对某人的第一印象是你初次见面时形成的看法。
Your first impression of someone is the opinion you form when meeting them for the first time.
挑剔(picky)这个词用来形容对规则过于严格的人。
The word picky is used to describe someone who is too strict about rules.
碰杯(clink glasses)是指将两个酒杯相碰以示友好,通常发生在敬酒时——这种表达尊重的仪式需要饮用杯中的酒。
If you clink glasses, you touch two drinking glasses together as a gesture of friendship, probably because you're making a toast, a show of respect that involves drinking from a glass of alcohol.
最后,'no no'是一个非正式用语,指那些被认为在社会上不可接受的事情。
And finally, a no no is an informal word for something considered socially unacceptable.
再次提醒,我们的六分钟时间到了,但如果你想了解更多关于餐桌礼仪的内容,请访问我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com下载节目工作表并尝试测验。
Once again, our six minute are up, but if you'd like to find out more about dining etiquette, then head over to our website bbclearningenglish.com to download a programme worksheet and try the quiz.
很快再见,但现在,是时候说再见了。
See you again soon, but for now, it's goodbye.
再见。
Bye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。