本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这个BBC播客由英国境外的广告支持。
This BBC podcast is supported by ads outside The UK.
我们关注的是
We focus on the part of
大多数人不知道的互联网部分。
the Internet that most people don't know about.
它被称为暗网。
It's called the dark
网络。
web.
在暗网最隐蔽的角落,美国特工正执行任务,寻找并营救遭受虐待的儿童。
Undercover in the furthest corners of the dark web, US special agents are on a mission to locate and rescue children from abuse.
立即行动。
Move in now.
从
From
BBC世界服务《秘密世界》节目,深入最黑暗的网络,追踪他们令人震惊的调查。
the BBC World Service, World of Secrets, the darkest web follows their shocking investigations.
请在bbc.com或您收听BBC播客的任何平台收听。
Listen on bbc.com or wherever you get your BBC podcasts.
感谢收听本集节目。
Thanks for listening to this episode.
你听过我们的新播客《克服演讲焦虑》吗?
Have you heard our new podcast, Beating Speaking Anxiety?
它专注于如何克服说英语时的恐惧。
It's all about how to fight your fears of speaking English.
也许你害怕犯错,担心听不懂别人,或害怕说英语时无法做自己。
Maybe you're scared of making mistakes, worried you won't understand people, or worried you can't be yourself when speaking English.
每期节目都会针对一种恐惧,邀请专家帮助你提升说英语的自信。
Each episode tackles a different fear with experts to help you improve your speaking confidence.
在你的播客应用中搜索“Learning English Conversations”来查找最新节目。
Search learning English conversations in your podcast app to find the latest episodes.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这是BBC学习英语的六分钟英语。
This is Six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是尼尔。
I'm Neil.
我是贝卡。
And I'm Becca.
你喜欢烹饪吗,尼尔?
Do you enjoy cooking, Neil?
是的,我喜欢烹饪。
Yes, I do enjoy cooking.
我觉得这相当放松,尤其是在忙碌的一天之后。
I think it's quite relaxing, especially after a busy day.
你呢,贝卡?
How about you, Becca?
当我为别人做饭时,我喜欢烹饪。
I enjoy cooking when I'm feeding other people.
但通常在忙碌的工作日之后,我不喜欢为自己做饭。
But usually after a busy day at work, I don't enjoy cooking for myself.
今天我们来谈谈烹饪。
Well, we're talking about cooking today.
我们大多数人至少都会煮鸡蛋,但并不是每个人都能成为世界著名餐厅的专业厨师。
And most of us can at least boil an egg, but not everyone can make it as a professional chef in a world famous restaurant.
成为一名顶级厨师需要热情、奉献和辛勤工作。
Being a top chef requires passion, dedication and hard work.
许多厨师每天工作十五小时,每周工作六天。
Many chefs work fifteen hours a day, six days a week.
而且,忙碌的厨房里烹制昂贵的菜肴是非常有压力的工作环境。
And busy kitchens cooking expensive food are very stressful places to work.
那他们为什么还要这么做呢?
So why do they do it?
在本期节目中,我们将听一位南非厨师的故事,她在一个以精致餐饮闻名的国家——法国——创办了自己的获奖餐厅。
In this episode, we'll hear from one South African chef who started her own award winning restaurant in the country known as the home of fine dining, France.
和往常一样,我们会学习一些有用的生词和短语。
As usual, we'll be learning some useful new words and phrases.
请记住,你可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到本期节目所有的词汇表和文字稿。
And remember, you'll find all this episode's vocabulary along with the transcript on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
但首先,我有个问题要问你,尼尔。
But first, I have a question for you, Neil.
专业厨师的最高荣誉是米其林星级评定,这是授予烹饪水平卓越的餐厅的奖项。
The top prize for any professional chef are Michelin Stars, awards given to restaurants offering outstanding cooking.
那么,历史上获得最多米其林星级的厨师是谁呢?
But who is the winner of the most Michelin stars ever?
是意大利厨师恩里科·巴托利尼,还是法国厨师乔勒·罗布雄?
Is it a, Italian chef, Enrico Bartolini, b, French chef, Joelle Robuchon.
还是英国厨师戈登·拉姆齐?
Or C, British chef, Gordon Ramsay.
我猜是A,意大利厨师恩里科·巴托利尼,因为我最近去了意大利,那里的食物太棒了。
I'm gonna say A, the Italian chef, Enrico Bartolini, because I went to Italy recently and the food was amazing.
好吧,我们稍后在本集中揭晓答案。
Okay, we'll find out the answer later in this episode.
厨师尚琳·达顿尔出生于南非,她的烹饪生涯始于伦敦高档梅费尔区的一家三家米其林星级餐厅。
Born in South Africa, chef Chantelle Dartonall started her culinary career at a three Michelin star restaurant in the exclusive Mayfair area of London.
在这里,她向BBC世界服务节目《美食链》的主持人露丝·亚历山大讲述了这一切是如何开始的。
Here, she tells Ruth Alexander, presenter of BBC World Service programme, The Food Chain, how it all got started.
事情是这样的,我从普鲁莱斯食品与葡萄酒学院毕业后,决定把我的简历投给当时米其林指南上所有能找到的三家米其林星级餐厅。
What happened is I had graduated from the Pruleth College of Food and Wine and decided to send my CV to all the three Michelin Star restaurants that I could find at that moment in the Michelin Guide.
所以,你从一开始就志向高远?
So, you aimed high from the off?
我目标很高。
I aimed high.
他们最多只能说不,我又会失去什么呢?
The only thing that they could say was no and what would I lose?
我接到了保罗·罗兹厨师的电话,他问我什么时候可以开始工作。
I received a call from chef Paul Rhodes to say, when can you start?
哇。
Wow.
这直接推动了我的职业生涯。
And this sort of just catapulted my career.
香特尔把她的简历投给了世界顶级餐厅。
Chantel sent her CV to the world's top restaurants.
CV是curriculum vitae的缩写,是一份列出个人教育背景、资质和工作经历的文件,求职时使用。
CV is short for curriculum vitae, a document listing someone's education, qualifications, and work experience, which they write when looking for a job.
在美国英语中,它被称为resume。
In American English, it's called a resume.
夏ntal只申请了获得米其林星级的餐厅。
Chantal applied to only Michelin starred winning restaurants.
她志存高远,意思是她很有抱负。
She aimed high, meaning she was ambitious.
夏ntal说,他们最坏的做法也不过是拒绝,这句话的意思是,你不应该害怕尝试某事,因为最坏的结果不过是被拒绝。
Chantal says the worst they could do is say no, a phrase which means you shouldn't be afraid of trying to do something because the worst outcome is being rejected.
幸运的是,对夏ntal来说,答案是肯定的。
Luckily for Chantal, the answer was yes.
在伦敦一家顶级餐厅学习技艺,极大地推动了她的职业生涯。
And learning her trade in a top London restaurant catapulted, meaning accelerated her career.
26岁时,夏ntal离开伦敦,回到家乡,在南非比勒陀利亚附近开设了自己的餐厅Mosaic。
At the age of 26, Chantal left London and returned home to open her own restaurant, Mosaic, near Pretoria in South Africa.
她受到植物料理的启发,即使用可食用的花朵和香草来装饰和调味食物。
She'd been inspired by botanical cuisine, the use of edible flowers and herbs to decorate and flavor food.
在这里,夏ntal向BBC世界服务节目《美食链》讲述了更多故事。
Here, Chantal tells more to BBC World Service programme, The Food Chain.
当我于南非开设Mosaic餐厅时,我知道我想打造一种完全不同的东西,一种食客从未见过的体验。
When I opened Mosaic in South Africa, I knew I wanted something entirely different and something which diners had not seen.
我想拥有自己的独特风格,脱颖而出。
I wanted to have my own signature and to stand out.
我认为,特别是在南非,植物性料理还非常陌生。
And I think especially for botanical cuisine in South Africa, it was very much unknown.
夏洛特发展出了自己的标志性风格。
Chantal developed her own signature.
标志性菜品是指某种特别代表或强烈关联于某个人或某个地方的菜肴。
A signature item is something that is typical of or strongly associated with a particular person or place.
例如,威士忌是苏格兰的标志性饮品。
For example, whisky is Scotland's signature drink.
夏洛特的标志性特色是烹制植物类美食。
Chantal's signature is cooking botanical food.
夏洛特的Mosaic餐厅目前位于法国北部的泰尼尔城堡,被列入全球前200家顶级餐厅之列。
Chantal's mosaic restaurant is currently at the Chateau De Teniers in Northern France, where it's listed among the top 200 restaurants in the world.
2017年,她荣获了世界最佳女厨师称号。
And in 2017, she won the title best female chef in the world.
这些成就帮助查antal脱颖而出,使其比其他厨师更引人注目、更优秀。
These achievements have helped Chantal stand out to be more noticeable and better than other chefs.
查antal仍在等待,但毫无疑问,她获得那些备受追捧的米其林星级只是时间问题。
Chantal is still waiting, but surely it's only a matter of time until she wins those coveted Michelin stars.
说到这个,贝卡,你之前问题的答案是什么?
Speaking of which, what was the answer to your question, Becca?
啊,对。
Ah, yes.
我之前问过你,谁是获得米其林星级最多的厨师?
I asked you earlier, who is the winner of the most Michelin stars ever?
我说是意大利厨师恩里科·巴托利尼。
I said that it was the Italian chef, Enrico Bartolini.
但不幸的是,这个答案是错的。
But unfortunately, it was incorrect.
哦,不。
Oh, no.
正确答案是B,乔埃尔·鲁巴尚,我们这位拥有31颗星的法国厨师,是历史上获得最多米其林星的厨师。
The right answer is b, Joelle Roubachon, our French chef with 31 stars, the most decorated chef in history.
好的。
Okay.
让我们回顾一下我们学过的词汇,首先是简历,也就是英文中的curriculum vitae、CV或美式英语中的resume。
Let's recap the vocabulary we've learned, starting with curriculum vitae, CV or resume in American English.
一份概述个人教育背景、资质和工作经历的文件,通常在求职时准备。
A document outlining someone's education, qualifications and work experience, which they prepare when looking for a job.
志存高远意味着有抱负,并设定高标准的目标。
To aim high means to be ambitious and set high goals.
“最坏的结果也不过是被拒绝”这句话的意思是,不要因为害怕被拒绝而不敢尝试。
The phrase the worst they can do is say no means don't be afraid of trying to do something for the fear of rejection.
如果某物被 catapulted,就意味着它被突然加速或向前抛出。
If something is catapulted, it's suddenly accelerated or launched forward.
招牌项目是指一个人或一个地方所知名的特色事物。
A signature item is something that a person or place is known for.
最后,stand out 意思是比其他相似的事物更引人注目或更出色。
And finally, to stand out means to be more noticeable or better than other similar things.
再次提醒,我们的六分钟时间到了。
Once again, our six minutes are up.
如果你喜欢这期节目,你可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到测验和练习表,巩固我们学过的词汇。
If you enjoyed this episode, you'll find a quiz and worksheet to practise the vocabulary we've learnt on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
我们很快再见,但现在先说再见了。
See you again soon, but for now it's goodbye.
再见。
Goodbye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
我们关注的是
We focus on the part of
互联网中大多数人不了解的部分。
the Internet that most people don't know about.
它被称为暗网。
It's called the dark web.
在暗网最隐秘的角落里,美国特工正执行任务,寻找并营救遭受虐待的儿童。
Undercover in the furthest corners of the dark web, US special agents are on a mission to locate and rescue children from abuse.
现在行动。
Move in now.
警察。
Police.
来自BBC世界服务的《世界秘密》系列节目,《最黑暗的网络》追踪了他们令人震惊的调查。
From the BBC World Service, World of Secrets, the darkest web follows their shocking investigations.
可在bbc.com或您收听BBC播客的任何平台收听。
Listen on bbc.com or wherever you get your BBC podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。