本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
感谢收听BBC英语学习播客。
Thanks for listening to this podcast from BBC Learning English.
你在工作中使用英语吗?
Do you use English at work?
在我们的播客系列《职场英语》中,我们将指导你了解在工作中该说什么、不该说什么。
In our podcast series Office English, we talk you through what to say and what not to say at work.
需要主持会议吗?
Need to run a meeting?
不确定该如何谈论工作中的规章制度?
Not sure how to talk about rules at work?
或者想学习如何礼貌地与同事表达不同意见?
Or want help disagreeing politely with colleagues?
《职场英语》是你的职场英语指南。
Office English is your podcast guide to the world of work.
在你的播客应用中搜索‘learning English for work’,或访问bbclearningenglish.com收听。
Search learning English for work in your podcast app or visit bbclearningenglish.com to listen.
六分钟英语
Six Minute English
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
from bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这是BBC学习英语的六分钟英语。
This is Six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是菲尔。
I'm Phil.
我是贝卡。
And I'm Becca.
六分钟英语的听众遍布全球,来自世界各地,包括地球上一些最寒冷的国家。
6 Minute English listeners are truly global, coming from all over the world, including some of the coldest countries on Earth.
比如芬兰,那里的冬季气温会降至零下20摄氏度。
Places like Finland, where winter temperatures drop to minus 20 degrees Celsius.
你很擅长应对寒冷吗,菲尔?
Are you good at dealing with the cold, Phil?
我不确定,但我知道我不喜欢寒冷。
I'm not sure, but I do know that I don't like it.
你呢,贝卡?
What about you, Becca?
我宁愿太热然后降温,也不愿太冷然后想办法取暖。
Well, I'd rather be too hot and cool down than too cold and try to warm up.
是的。
Yes.
我也是。
Me too.
在英国,气温从没像芬兰那样冷,但常见到一些人穿着T恤,而其他人则裹着暖和的衣服。
Here in The UK, it never gets as cold as Finland, but it's not unusual to see some people dressed in T shirts while others are wrapped up in warm clothes.
为什么人们对寒冷的感受如此不同?
Why do people feel the cold so differently?
我们将在本集中讨论这个问题,同时学习一些有用的生词和短语。
That's what we'll be discussing in this episode, as well as learning some useful new words and phrases.
和往常一样,您可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到本集的所有词汇、测验和练习表。
And as always, you'll find all the vocabulary from this episode, plus a quiz and worksheet on our website, bbclearningenglish.com.
但现在我有个问题要问你,贝卡。
But now I have a question for you, Becca.
根据《吉尼斯世界纪录》,有史以来记录到的最低温度是极寒的零下89摄氏度。
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the lowest temperature ever recorded was a very cold minus 89 degrees Celsius.
但是在哪里呢?
But where?
是a,北极,b,南极,还是c,珠穆朗玛峰顶?
Was it a, the Arctic, b, Antarctica, or c, the top of Mount Everest?
我猜是b,南极。
I'm going to guess b, Antarctica.
好的。
Okay.
我们将在节目结束时揭晓答案。
Well, we'll find out the answer at the end of the program.
我们对寒冷的体验取决于许多因素,包括我们的基因、文化和出生地。
Our experience of cold depends on many things, including our genes, culture, and place of birth.
但最明显的一点可能是我们所穿的衣服。
But perhaps the most obvious thing is the clothes we wear.
古尼尔·萨特兰教授生活在斯瓦尔巴群岛,那里位于北极圈内800英里处。
Professor Guneel Satran lives on the icy island of Svalbard, 800 miles inside the Arctic Circle.
在这里,她为BBC世界服务节目《大众科学》的主持人卡罗琳·斯蒂尔提供如何在严寒中穿衣的建议。
Here, she advises presenter Caroline Steele on how to dress against the cold for BBC World Service programme CrowdScience.
那么我们在选择衣物时应该考虑哪些因素呢?
So what should we consider when choosing our clothes?
首先,我认为性别可能有所不同。
First and foremost, I would say that perhaps the gender differs.
男性通常比女性更能耐受寒冷。
So male often are more tolerant perhaps than females.
当然,还有你习惯的环境。
Then it's of course what you're used to.
你习惯应对寒冷吗?
Are you used to dealing with the cold?
你不习惯吗?
Are you not?
冈希尔德说,男女对寒冷的感受首先有所不同。
Gunhild says that first and foremost, men and women filled the cold differently.
她使用“首先”这个短语,意思是“最重要的是”。
She uses the phrase first and foremost to mean more than anything else.
她想强调,某件事——在这个案例中是人的性别——是需要考虑的最重要因素。
She wants to emphasise that something, in this case someone's gender, is the most important thing to consider.
关于男性还是女性更能耐寒,目前还有一些争议。
There is some debate about whether men or women are more tolerant of the cold.
能够忍受某事而不受伤害,就是对它的耐受性。
Being tolerant of something means being able to endure it without getting hurt.
另一个重要因素是你是否适应寒冷,是否熟悉在寒冷环境中生活。
Another important factor is whether you are used to the cold, if being in cold environments is something you're familiar with.
听起来显而易见,出生在北极斯瓦尔巴的人会比出生在巴西的人感觉更不冷。
It might sound obvious that someone born in Arctic Svalbard would feel less cold than someone born in Brazil.
但除了环境因素外,是否存在实际的生理差异,使人更能耐受寒冷?
But apart from environmental factors, are there actual physical differences that allow people to cope better with the cold?
卡拉·奥科博克医生研究芬兰北部的驯鹿牧民,这些人每天生活在寒冷环境中,已经持续了数百年。
Doctor Kara Okobock studies reindeer herders in Northern Finland, people who live in cold temperatures every day and have done for centuries.
她测量他们对极端寒冷的反应,并与来自国内较温暖地区的普通芬兰人进行比较。
She measures their reaction to extreme cold and compares it to ordinary Finns from warmer parts of the country.
在这里,卡拉向BBC世界服务《大众科学》的卡罗琳·斯蒂尔分享了她的发现。
Here, Cara shares her findings with Caroline Steele from BBC World Services CrowdScience.
好的。
Okay.
我猜驯鹿牧民更能适应寒冷?
And my guess is the reindeer herders deal better in the cold?
是的,也不是。
Yes and no.
我们在这个领域收集的数据越多,情况就越混乱。
The more data we collect within this area, the more confusing the picture gets.
我可以这么说,就主观感受而言,目前驯鹿牧民至少在心理上更能应对寒冷。
I can say that subjectively, at this point, the reindeer herders at least kind of mentally handle the cold far better.
他们不太容易发抖。
They are far less likely to shiver.
那么驯鹿牧民更能适应寒冷吗?
So do the reindeer herders deal better with the cold?
答案是是的,也不是。
The answer is yes and no.
这是一个短语,用于当问题没有明确答案时,表示部分是、部分不是。
A phrase meaning partly and partly not used when there's no clear answer to a question.
然而,卡拉确实提到,从主观上看,牧民们应对得更好。
However, Cara does say subjectively, the herders manage better.
他们感觉没那么冷。
They don't feel so cold.
主观上意味着基于你个人的内在体验,而不是客观事实。
Subjectively means based on your personal inner experience rather than objective facts.
而且在生理上,也存在差异。
And physically, there are differences too.
驯鹿牧民不太容易发抖。
Reindeer herders are less likely to shiver.
发抖是寒冷的肌肉为试图保暖而产生的颤抖动作。
The shaky movement that cold muscles make to try and warm them up.
事实上,我们对寒冷的体验可能综合了我们所讨论的所有因素,包括从父母遗传给子女的基因适应。
In fact, how we experience the cold is probably a combination of everything we've discussed, including genetic adaptations passed on from parents to children.
是的。
Right.
我去找我的手套和毛线帽了。
I'm off to find my gloves and woolly hat.
所以,菲尔,你为什么不揭晓这个问题的答案呢?
So why don't you reveal the answer to the question, Phil?
是的。
Yes.
我问过地球上记录到的最低温度在哪里。
I asked where the lowest temperature on Earth was ever recorded.
你说是b,南极洲。
You said b, Antarctica.
这个答案是正确的。
And that is the right answer.
地球上记录到的最低温度发生在1983年南极洲的沃斯托克研究站。
The lowest temperature ever recorded on Earth was at the Vostok Research Station in Antarctica in 1983.
让我们回顾一下我们学到的词汇,首先从短语‘首要的是’开始,意思是最重要的是。
Let's recap the vocabulary we've learned, starting with the phrase first and foremost, meaning more than anything else.
一个对某事有容忍度的人,能够承受它而不受伤害。
A person who is tolerant of something is able to endure it without being hurt.
如果你习惯了某事,你就对它熟悉了。
If you're used to something, you're familiar with it.
成语 'yes and no' 意思是部分是、部分不是,当你无法对一个问题给出明确答案时使用。
The idiom yes and no means partly and partly not, and is used when you can't give a clear answer to a question.
副词 'subjectively' 意为以个人经验为基础,而非客观事实的方式。
The adverb subjectively means in a way that's based on your personal experience rather than objective facts.
最后,颤抖是指当你感到寒冷或害怕时,肌肉产生的抖动。
And finally, a shiver is the shaking movement made by your muscles when you feel cold or afraid.
再次提醒,我们的六分钟时间到了。
Once again, our six minutes are up.
但请记住,你可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到本集的测验和练习表。
But remember, you'll find a quiz and a worksheet for this episode on our website, bbclearningenglish.com.
我们很快在那里见。
See you there soon.
但目前,再见了。
But for now, it's goodbye.
再见。
Bye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。