本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你害怕用英语说话吗?
Are you scared to speak in English?
当你试图对话时,会忘记单词吗?
Do you forget your words when you try to have a conversation?
或者,尽管你练习了很多,但还是觉得自己的口语没有进步?
Or maybe you feel like your speaking isn't getting better even though you practice a lot.
我们的新系列《克服口语焦虑》将探讨我们在说外语时常见的恐惧。
Our new series, Beating Speaking Anxiety is all about the common fears we have when speaking a foreign language.
你将听到真实学习者和专家的分享,了解这些恐惧的成因,并发现提升口语的技巧和活动。
You'll hear from real learners and experts about what causes these fears and discover tips and activities to improve your speaking.
请在我们的《学习英语对话》播客频道收听本节目,或访问我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 观看视频。
Listen to the podcast in our learning English conversations podcast feed or find videos on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这是BBC英语学习的六分钟英语。
This is six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是菲尔。
I'm Phil.
我是皮帕。
And I'm Pippa.
你是个爱读书的人吗,菲尔?
Are you a big reader, Phil?
有时是的。
Sometimes, yes.
有时不是。
Sometimes, no.
有时候我会好一段时间不看书。
Sometimes, I go a while without reading anything.
你呢?
What about you?
嗯,我非常热爱阅读。
Well, I really love to read.
我每天坐火车上班时都会看书。
I read on the train to work all the time.
嗯,这确实是挤时间阅读的好方法,我想。
Well, is a great way to get some reading in, I guess.
是的。
Yes.
阅读当然是一项生活技能,是每个人生活中都很重要或有用的技能。
And reading, of course, is a life skill an essential skill which is useful or important in everyone's life.
但对于患有阅读障碍的人来说,阅读可能是一种挑战,阅读障碍是一种学习困难,使人难以阅读、写作或拼写。
But reading can be a struggle for people with dyslexia, a learning difficulty making it hard for people to read, write or spell.
据估计,英国大约十分之一的人患有阅读障碍,许多阅读障碍儿童在学校里会感到吃力,因为学校的重点放在阅读和写作上。
It's thought that around one in ten people in The UK are dyslexic, and many dyslexic children struggle at school where the focus is on reading and writing.
但在本集中,我们将了解患有阅读障碍的人如何凭借其他技能在职场中脱颖而出。
But in this episode, we'll be hearing how dyslexics have other skills which allow them to excel in the workplace.
和往常一样,我们将学习一些有用的生词和短语。
As usual, we'll be learning some useful new words and phrases.
请记住,本集的所有词汇都可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到。
And remember, you'll find all the vocabulary for this episode on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
但首先,我有个问题要问你,菲尔。
But first, I have a question for you, Phil.
研究表明,阅读障碍者在某些领域具有增强的能力,能够在创造性思维、解决问题和创新能力方面表现出色。
Studies have shown that people with dyslexia have enhanced abilities in certain areas and can excel in creative thinking, problem solving and inventiveness.
那么,哪位著名科学家患有阅读障碍呢?
So which famous scientist was dyslexic?
是 a) 史蒂芬·霍金,b) 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦,还是 c) 玛丽·居里?
Was it a) Stephen Hawking b) Albert Einstein or c) Marie Curie?
哦,我觉得是 b),我觉得是阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦。
Oh, I think it's b) I think it's Albert Einstein.
我们会在节目结束时揭晓答案。
Well, we'll find out the answer at the end of the programme.
现在,英国慈善机构Made by Dyslexia分享在线学习工具,并与学校和教师合作,提高人们对这一状况的认识。
Now, the British charity Made by Dyslexia shares online learning tools and works with schools and teachers to raise awareness about the condition.
该慈善机构最近与几位患有阅读障碍的英国名人合作制作了这段宣传视频。
The charity recently collaborated with British celebrities who have dyslexia for this promotional video.
如果你有阅读障碍,这简直就是你的超能力。
If you're dyslexic, it's kind of your superpower.
这就像你的思维方式。
It's like the way that you think.
我们的大脑似乎是以不同的方式处理信息的。
Our brains, they're wired to, I think, process information differently.
我看待世界的方式可能和别人不同,但这是完全合理的。
The way I see the world might be different from somebody else, but that's valid.
事实上,这至关重要。
In fact, it's vital.
你可能认出了一些声音,包括演员奥兰多·布鲁姆、凯拉·奈特莉,以及商人理查德·布兰森。
You might recognise some of those voices, including actors Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, and businessman Richard Branson.
这个信息是,阅读障碍远非一种残疾,而是一种超能力——一种他人无法做到的能力。
The message is that far from being a disability, dyslexia is their superpower the ability to do something other people can't.
‘阅读障碍创造’由社会企业家凯特·格里格斯创立,她共同撰写了一份报告,表明赋能阅读障碍员工可为全球经济带来数十亿美元的增长。
Made by Dyslexia was founded by social entrepreneur Kate Griggs, and Kate co authored a report showing that empowering dyslexic workers could boost the global economy by billions.
BBC世界服务节目《改变世界的人》在伦敦的报告发布活动上采访了凯特,她解释了为什么阅读障碍实际上能为生活带来优势,包括一些令人兴奋的职业前景。
BBC World Service programme People Fixing the World met Kate at the report's London launch event where she explained why being dyslexic can actually give advantages in life including some exciting job prospects.
如果你想想间谍必须做什么,你需要快速读懂他人,发现复杂的模式,并迅速解决问题,以判断是否存在恐怖威胁。
If you think about what you have to do as a spy, you have to be reading people really quickly, spotting complex patterns, and solving problems really quickly so you can see whether there's a terror threat.
阅读障碍者天生就是出色的间谍。
It's natural that dyslexics are brilliant spies.
凯特认为,阅读障碍者很适合当间谍,也就是秘密收集他国政府或组织情报的人。
Kate thinks dyslexics make good spies, people who secretly collect information about another country's government or organisations.
为什么?
Why?
因为他们擅长读懂他人。
Because they're good at reading people.
读懂他人意味着通过对方的肢体语言和行为来理解其真实意图,而不是通过他们说的话。
To read people means to be able to understand someone's true intentions through their body language and behaviour rather than their words.
出席伦敦慈善活动的还有太空科学家、本身也是阅读障碍者的玛吉·阿德林-波科克博士。
Also present at the London charity event was space scientist and dyslexic herself, Doctor Maggie Adairin Pocock.
在这里,玛吉向BBC世界服务节目《改变世界的人们》讲述了阅读障碍如何为她的项目团队带来不同的技能和想法。
Here, Maggie tells BBC World Service's People Fixing the World how being dyslexic contributes different skills and ideas to her project teams.
我认为关键是识别他人的技能和差异。
Well, I think it's recognizing people's skills and differences.
这关乎团队合作与协作。
It's about teamwork and collaboration.
我们在科学中就是这样做的,也正是这样,我们才能触及星辰。
We do it in science, and that's when we reach for the stars.
但要做到这一点,我们需要了解自己的技能,并珍视所有技能。
But to do that, we need to know our skills and value all the skills.
玛吉认为每个人的技能都应被重视或视为重要。
Maggie thinks that everyone's skill should be valued or considered important.
阅读障碍者可能在阅读或拼写上有困难,但他们在解决问题和沟通方面的技能,例如,对科学成功至关重要。
Dyslexics may struggle to read or spell, but their skills in problem solving and communication, for example, can be essential for scientific success.
通过重视每个人的贡献,商业和科学团队可以追求星辰,这是一个习语,意为志存高远,努力实现看似不可能的目标。
By valuing everyone's contribution, business and science teams can reach for the stars, an idiom meaning to be ambitious and try to achieve something difficult even if it seems impossible.
说到追求星辰,皮帕,我觉得是时候揭晓你关于成功科学家的问题答案了。
And talking of reaching for the stars, Pippa, I think it's time you revealed the answer to your question about successful scientists.
是的。
Yes.
我问过你们,哪位著名科学家患有阅读障碍。
I asked you which famous scientist was dyslexic.
是a) 史蒂芬·霍金,b) 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦,还是c) 玛丽·居里?
Was it a) Stephen Hawking b) Albert Einstein or c) Marie Curie?
你答对了,菲尔,是阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦。
And you were right Phil, it was Albert Einstein.
好的,让我们回顾一下我们学到的词汇,首先是生活技能,这是一种对每个人生活都有用的重要技能,比如阅读或解决问题。
Okay, let's recap the vocabulary we've learned, starting with life skill, an essential skill such as reading or problem solving, which is useful in everyone's life.
超能力是指别人做不到的某种能力。
A superpower is the ability to do something that other people can't.
间谍是指秘密收集其他国家政府或组织信息的人。
A spy is someone who secretly collects information about other countries' governments or organisations.
如果你擅长读懂他人,你就能通过人们的言行举止理解他们的真实意图,而不是仅仅听他们说了什么。
If you're good at reading people, you can understand people's real intentions through how they act and behave instead of what they say.
如果你重视某事或某人,你就认为他们很重要。
If you value something or someone, you consider them to be important.
最后,习语‘reach for the stars’意味着设定高远或雄心勃勃的目标,并努力实现看似不可能的困难目标。
And finally, the idiom to reach for the stars means to have high or ambitious aims and try to achieve something difficult, even if it seems impossible.
再次提醒,我们的六分钟时间到了。
Once again, our six minutes are up.
但请记住,你可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到更多热门话题,以及本集的测验和练习 worksheet。
But remember, you can find many more trending topics, plus a quiz and worksheet for this episode on our website, bbclearningenglish.com.
希望很快能在那儿见到你们,但现在先说再见了。
Hope to see you there soon, but for now, it's goodbye.
再见。
Goodbye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。