本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
在我们的网站上获得最优质的播客体验。
Get the ultimate podcast experience on our website.
查找字幕和文本,帮助您理解内容。
Find transcripts and subtitles to help you understand.
尝试练习表和测验来检验您的学习成果,并使用我们便捷的词汇表辅助学习。
Try worksheets and quizzes to test what you've learned and use our handy vocabulary lists to help you study.
此外,您还可以观看视频系列,如《从伦敦到爱丁堡挑战》和《发音沙龙》,提升您的英语技能。
Plus find video series like the London to Edinburgh challenge and the Pronunciation Lounge to improve your English skills.
所有内容均可在 bbclearningenglish.com 上获取。
It's all available at bbclearningenglish.com.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
您好,欢迎收听BBC学习英语的《六分钟英语》。
Hello and welcome to six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是贝丝。
I'm Beth.
我是尼尔。
And I'm Neil.
目前英国正值圣诞节期间,和世界各地的庆祝活动一样,许多人对圣诞节都有许多美好的回忆。
Now, it's Christmas time in The UK at the moment and like with celebrations around the world, lots of people have many happy memories about Christmas.
贝丝,你有美好的圣诞节回忆吗?
Beth, do you have any happy Christmas memories?
我有很多。
I have a lot.
我以前和堂兄弟姐妹们总是为家人表演圣诞节目。
My cousins and I used to always put on a Christmas performance for the family.
那总是很有趣。
That was always fun.
你呢?
What about you?
圣诞节非常神奇。
Christmas was magical.
我小时候住在加拿大,那时总是下雪。
I lived in Canada when I was a kid and it was always snowing.
所以感觉完美极了。
So it just felt perfect.
太棒了。
Amazing.
在这一年中的这个时候,我们可能会回顾过去的圣诞节,尤其是童年的那些,觉得它们比今天的圣诞节更快乐、更神奇。
Well, at this time of year, we might look back at the Christmases from the past, from our childhood and feel like they were happier or more magical than Christmas feels today.
是的。
Yes.
回忆过去可能会让我们同时感到快乐和悲伤。
Thinking about the past can make us feel happy and sad at the same time.
这是一种我们称之为怀旧的奇怪感觉。
It's a strange feeling we call nostalgia.
今天我们将讨论怀旧情绪,以及圣诞记忆和传统。
And we're going to be talking about nostalgia today as well as Christmas memories and traditions.
和往常一样,我们会学习一些有用的新单词和短语。
And as usual, we'll be learning some useful new words and phrases.
你可以在我们网站的测验和练习册中练习这些内容。
You can practise these with the quiz and the worksheets on our website.
请访问 bbclearningenglish.com。
Go to bbclearningenglish.com.
首先,贝丝,我有个问题想问你。
First, Beth, I have a question for you.
在英国,最受欢迎的圣诞大餐是烤火鸡。
In The UK, the most popular Christmas meal is a roast turkey.
哦,是的。
Oh, yes.
还有烤土豆和卷心菜。
And all the roast potatoes and brussels sprouts.
没错。
That's right.
是的。
Yes.
但在日本,哪种食物已经成为圣诞节期间流行的食品呢?
But which of these has become a popular food to eat at Christmas time in Japan?
是 a) 火鸡拉面,b) 炸鸡,还是 c) 外卖披萨?
Is it a) Turkey ramen, b) fried chicken or c) takeaway pizza?
我认为答案是炸鸡。
I think the answer is fried chicken.
我们将在节目结束时揭晓答案。
Well, we'll find out at the end of the programme.
现在,圣诞节期间,人们常常会建立每年重复的家庭传统。
Now, at Christmas, people often create family traditions that they repeat every year.
英国常见的传统包括为圣诞老人(即给孩子们送礼物的圣诞老人)准备一份小吃。
Common traditions in The UK include putting out a snack for Father Christmas that's Santa Claus who delivers presents for children.
以下是BBC广播四台《全在心中》节目的主持人克劳迪娅·哈蒙德,她正在与心理学教授达里尔·奥康纳讨论他的圣诞传统。
Well, here is host of BBC Radio four's All in the Mind, Claudia Hammond, talking to psychology professor Darryl O'Connor about his Christmas traditions.
你好,达里尔。
Hello, Darryl.
我想知道,对过去圣诞节的怀旧之情是否会影响你现在的圣诞庆祝方式。
I wonder whether you think nostalgia for Christmas past influences your Christmas present place.
确实如此,克劳迪娅。
Indeed it does, Claudia.
事实上,我回想起童年时的圣诞节,充满了深深的怀念。
So, actually, I look back on my childhood Christmas with lots and lots of nostalgia.
小时候,每个圣诞早晨,我们都要在楼梯上排队,我父亲会走进客厅,确认圣诞老人是否还在那里。
So when I was a child, every single Christmas morning, we would have to queue up on the stairs, and my father would go into the front room of the house just to double check, just in case Santa Claus was still there.
然后我们得等着,当然,我也把同样的仪式重复到了我的孩子们身上。
And then we had to wait, and then, of course, I have repeated that exact same thing for my children.
他们也会在楼梯上排队。
They line up on the stairs as well.
真温馨。
How sweet.
急着要礼物。
Dying for their presents.
当克劳迪娅问达里尔怀旧是否影响他现在的圣诞节时,达里尔回答说确实如此。
When Claudia asked Daryl whether nostalgia influences his present day Christmases, Daryl responds indeed it does.
这是一种常见的对话方式,用来表示同意或肯定。
This is a common conversational way to say yes or agree with someone.
我们说‘indeed’后接助动词‘do’的现在时形式。
We say indeed followed by do in the present tense.
在圣诞节早晨,达里尔让他的孩子们排好队站在楼梯上,以便他检查圣诞老人是否还在,就像他小时候父亲做的那样。
On Christmas morning, Daryl asks his children to queue up on the stairs so he can check for Santa Claus, just like Daryl's father did when he was small.
克劳迪娅很喜欢这个传统,想象着孩子们在楼梯上等待,急切地盼着礼物。
And Claudia likes this tradition, imagining the children waiting on the stairs, dying for their presents.
当我们想表达某人非常想要某物时,可以非正式地使用‘dying for’这个短语。
We use the phrase dying for informally when someone really wants something.
现在,当我们回忆过去的圣诞节并感到怀旧时,我们通常会以非常积极的方式记住这些事情。
Now, when we remember Christmas from the past and feel nostalgia, we often remember things in a very positive way.
但过去就一定更好吗?
But was the past definitely better?
我们的记忆准确吗?
Are we remembering correctly?
这就是克劳迪娅·哈蒙德在BBC广播四台的节目《全在心中》中向认知神经科学教授凯瑟琳·洛维德提出的问题。
This is what Claudia Hammond asked Catherine Loveday, who's a professor of cognitive neuroscience on BBC Radio four programme, All in the Mind.
怀旧的记忆有多准确?
How accurate are nostalgic memories?
它们准确吗?
Are they accurate?
当然,它们常常会被美化,变得更加积极。
Well, they're often going to be rose tinted and made more positive, of course.
这正是我们对待过去的一般方式。
And that's what we do with our past generally.
但这其实并不重要。
But it doesn't really matter.
我的意思是,在我们的研究中,我们刚刚证明了记忆的功能并不在于准确性。
I mean, in our work, we've just shown that the function of memory is not about accuracy.
一些细节出错也没关系。
It doesn't matter if some of the details are wrong.
我们如何描述它也没关系。
It doesn't matter how we frame it.
事实上,从某种意义上说,重新构建我们的记忆并稍作调整以适应现在的自己,反而对我们更有利。
In fact, it's actually better for us in a way to reframe our memories and to slightly adjust them to suit who we are now.
凯瑟琳说,我们的记忆常常带有玫瑰色滤镜。
Catherine says that our memories are often rose tinted.
如果一段记忆带有玫瑰色滤镜,我们只会看到其中积极的一面,而不会记得任何不好的部分。
If a memory is rose tinted, we only see the positive things about it and don't remember any of the bad parts.
但根据凯瑟琳的说法,这并不总是重要的。
But according to Catherine, it doesn't always matter.
她说记忆的功能不在于准确性。
She says the function of memory is not accuracy.
功能指的是某物的目的。
Function means the purpose of something.
事实上,凯瑟琳说,我们如何构建记忆并不重要。
In fact, Catherine says that how we frame a memory doesn't matter.
‘构建’可以作为动词使用,意思是我們如何思考或描述像记忆这样的东西。
Frame can be used as a verb to mean how we think of or describe something like a memory.
所以我们的记忆并不那么准确,除非我们需要记住某些重要事情的事实细节,否则这并不重要。
So our memories aren't that accurate and it isn't that important unless of course we need to remember factual details about something important.
因此,我们对圣诞节记忆的怀旧之情可能并不基于过去事物的真实情况。
So our nostalgia about Christmas memories might not be based on what things were actually like in the past.
但我们不必太过担心。
But we shouldn't worry too much.
我想是时候向你揭示我测验问题的答案了,贝丝。
And I think it's time I reveal the answer to my quiz question, Beth.
我问了在日本圣诞节期间传统上会吃些什么食物。
I asked what has become a traditional food to eat in Japan at Christmas time.
我说是炸鸡。
And I said fried Chicken.
我答对了吗?
Was I right?
你完全正确。
You are absolutely correct.
让我们回顾一下我们学到的词汇,首先是怀旧,这是一种当你回想过去发生的事情时,既感到快乐又带点悲伤的情绪。
Let's recap the vocabulary we've learnt starting with nostalgia a feeling of happiness and also some sadness when you think about a thing that happened in the past.
短语‘indeed’加上助动词do的现在时形式,可以非正式地用来代替‘是的’来回答。
The phrase indeed followed by the present simple form of do can be used informally instead of answering yes.
例如,贝丝,你喜欢在圣诞节吃抱子甘蓝吗?
For example, Beth, do you enjoy eating brussels sprouts at Christmas?
确实,我喜欢。
Indeed, I do.
‘Dying for something’ 是一个非正式的短语动词,用来表示我们非常想要某物。
Dying for something is an informal phrasal verb we use to say that we really want something.
‘玫瑰色的’ 意思是只看到事物积极的一面,而忽略其消极的一面。
Rose tinted means seeing only the positive parts of something and not the bad parts.
‘Function’ 指的是某物的用途或功能。
Function means the purpose of something.
‘Frame’ 可以作为动词使用,意思是看待或描述某事的方式。
And frame can be used as a verb to mean how we think of or describe something.
再次提醒,我们的六分钟时间到了。
Once again, our six minutes are up.
请通过我们网站上的测验和练习册来检验你在这期节目中所学的内容。
Test what you've learnt in the episode with the quiz and worksheets on our website.
致所有正在庆祝圣诞节的听众,圣诞快乐,祝大家年末愉快。
To all our listeners who are celebrating Christmas Merry Christmas and we hope you all have a good end to the year.
我们很快再见。
See you soon.
再见。
Bye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。