本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你好。
Hello.
我是Georgie,BBC学习英语的英语教师和主持人。
I'm Georgie, an English teacher and presenter at BBC Learning English.
我想向你们介绍我制作的一个全新系列,主题是关于口语表达。
I want to tell you about a new series I've made all about speaking.
克服口语焦虑有助于你战胜说英语时的恐惧。
Beating speaking anxiety helps you fight your fears of speaking English.
每个视频都针对一种不同的恐惧,比如害怕犯错、害怕听不懂别人,以及害怕公开演讲。
Each video tackles a different fear, like the fear of making mistakes, the fear of not understanding people, and the fear of public speaking.
获取实用技巧,观看真实学习者进行口语练习的场景。
Find practical tips and see speaking activities in action with real learners.
请访问我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,查找《克服口语焦虑》系列。
Find beating speaking anxiety on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好,欢迎收听BBC学习英语出品的《六分钟英语》。
Hello, and welcome to Six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是尼尔,今天我和来自《万物是何物》播客的汉娜一起主持。
I'm Neil, and today we're joined by Hannah from the What in the World podcast.
嗨,尼尔。
Hey Neil.
很高兴回来。
It's great to be back.
所以,尼尔,你觉得自己擅长为未来或突发事件做准备吗?
So Neil, do you think you're good at preparing for the future or for unexpected events?
还算不错吧,我想。
Reasonably good, I suppose.
这要看我们说的是哪种事件。
Depends what kind of event we're talking about.
各种各样的事件。
All kinds of events.
我认为自己挺有条理的,但我现有的食物只够吃一周左右。
Now, I think I'm pretty organised, but I only have enough food to last me about a week.
今天,我们要聊聊末日生存者。
And today, we're talking all about preppers.
末日生存者是指那些相信灾难即将发生,因此提前做好准备的人。
A prepper is someone who believes that disaster is likely to happen soon, and so they prepare for it.
末日生存者可能会学习生存技能,或者建造一个地下避难所。
A prepper might learn survival skills, or they might build a bunker an underground shelter.
是的。
Yes.
最近,许多科技行业的知名亿万富翁因建造豪华避难所而登上新闻。
And recently, many famous billionaires from the tech industry have made the news for building luxury bunkers.
这些避难所的作用是保护你免受危险。
So what these bunkers need to do is to keep you safe from danger.
但它们也像间谍电影里的场景。
But they're also like something out of a spy film.
它们规模庞大,还配备了健身房或家庭影院等酷炫设施。
They're huge, and they've got cool features like gyms or home cinemas.
它们让人在确保安全的同时,也能过上舒适的生活。
They allow someone to live a comfortable life while staying safe from danger.
一种非常舒适的生活。
A very comfortable life.
我们将讨论这些豪华避难所、建造它们的人,以及他们如此害怕的原因。
We're going to be talking about these luxury bunkers, the people building them, and what they're so afraid of.
但首先,尼尔,我有个问题要问你。
But first, Neil, I've got a question for you.
Meta的首席执行官马克·扎克伯格正在夏威夷建造一处房产,据称其中包括一个巨大的地下避难所。
Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Meta is building a property in Hawaii, which is reported to include a huge underground bunker.
所以,尼尔,据报他在这个项目上花了多少钱?
So Neil, how much is he reportedly spending on the project?
是 a) 1000万美元,b) 5000万美元,还是 c) 1亿美元?
Is it a) $10,000,000 b) $50,000,000 or c) a $100,000,000?
嗯,汉娜,我不知道。
Well, Hannah, I don't know.
但他是个非常有钱的人,所以我猜是1亿美元。
But he's a pretty rich guy, so I think a 100,000,000.
我会在节目结束时揭晓答案。
Well, I will reveal the answer at the end of the programme.
汉娜,你一直在调查这些豪华避难所,比如据称马克·扎克伯格正在建造的那一个,你发现了什么?
Hannah, you've been looking into these luxury bunkers like the one Mark Zuckerberg is reported to be building on What in the World?
你有什么发现?
What have you discovered?
我邀请了BBC记者纳塔莉亚·希门尼斯来聊聊末日生存者,我首先问她是否曾考虑过建造一个避难所并为灾难做准备。
Well, I was joined by BBC reporter Natalia Jimenez to talk about preppers, and I started off by asking whether she had ever considered building a bunker and preparing for disaster.
我喜欢这个问题,因为我其实已经考虑很久了。
I love this question because I've actually been thinking about it for a while.
有个有趣的事实给你。
Fun fact you.
你是个末日生存者。
You're a prepper.
是的。
Yes.
当你在美国看电视时,打开任何一个美国电视频道,通常都会出现一些关于脱水食品的广告。
When you watch TV in in The US, when you turn on a kind of US TV channel, what happens is that there's usually some ads about freeze dried food.
我不是在开玩笑。
I'm not kidding.
这些广告经常出现,全都围绕着末日生存者的心理。
They pop up quite regularly, and it's all about kind of the prepper mentality.
末日来临时,你该怎么办?
What are you gonna do when the apocalypse happens?
纳塔莉亚曾考虑过建造避难所并做好准备,因为她在美国电视上经常看到那些能长期保存的脱水食品广告。
Natalia has thought about building a bunker and getting prepared because she sees adverts for freeze dried food that would last a long time on TV in The US.
当她谈到这些广告时,她说‘我不是在开玩笑’,意思是她很认真。
When she talks about the adverts, she says, I'm not kidding, which means I'm not joking.
纳塔莉亚说,这些广告是末日生存者心态的一部分。
Natalia says that these adverts are part of the prepper mentality.
心态是指一个人看待事物的方式。
A mentality is a person's way of thinking about things.
因此,末日生存者心态意味着像末日生存者一样思考问题。
So the prepper mentality would mean thinking about things like a prepper.
末日生存者心态的一部分,就是思考如果末日来临你会怎么做。
Part of the prepper mentality is to question what you would do if the apocalypse happens.
末日指的是导致毁灭和剧变的重大事件。
An apocalypse refers to a serious event which causes destruction and change.
所以很多人确实会考虑为糟糕的情况做准备。
So lots of people do think about preparing for bad things.
纳塔莉亚也思考过这个问题。
Natalia's thought about it.
对于像马克·扎克伯格这样的科技亿万富翁来说,他们有能力花大笔钱为灾难做准备。
And for tech billionaires like Mark Zuckerberg, they're able to spend a lot of money preparing for disaster.
所以你认为他们知道一些我们不知道的事情吗?
So do you think they know something we don't?
他们到底在为什么做准备?
What are they preparing for?
让我们再听听纳塔莉亚在《世界究竟怎么了》节目中对我的讲述。
Let's hear from Natalia again, speaking to me on What in the World.
所以这些原因包括核紧张局势、人工智能风险、气候灾难,本质上就是任何可能导致世界末日的事件。
So the reasons include nuclear tensions, AI risk, climate disaster, essentially any world ending event.
但其次,这也是一种社会地位的象征。
But secondly, it's also a mark of societal status.
所以无论发生什么,无论未来带来什么,只要你是个科技亿万富翁,你都能舒适地生存下来,不会影响你的生活方式,也不会降低你现有的生活标准。
So no matter what happens, no matter what comes our way, if you're a tech billionaire, you're going to be able to live through that comfortably without compromising your lifestyle, without compromising the standard that you have.
因此,这些科技亿万富翁本质上是在构建未来,而他们如此害怕未来——这本身就说明了一切。
So because these tech billionaires are essentially building the future, the fact that they're so afraid of it, quote, unquote, telling within itself.
虽然科技富豪们担心气候变化或人工智能等问题,但纳塔莉亚表示,豪华避难所也是一种社会地位的象征,就像我们在英国所说的那样。
So while tech billionaires are worried about things like climate disaster or AI, Natalia says that luxury bunkers are also a mark of social status or status, as we would say in The UK.
一个人的地位是指他人给予他们的尊重或重要性。
Someone's status is the amount of respect or importance given to them by other people.
有了这些避难所,科技富豪们能够在不损害其奢华生活方式的情况下生存,也就是说,不会降低他们的生活水平。
With their bunkers, tech billionaires would be able to survive without compromising their luxury lifestyle that means without lowering their standard of living.
好的。
Okay.
所以现在我需要知道你给我出的那道测验题的答案,汉娜。
So now I need to know the answer to that quiz question you gave me, Hannah.
是的,尼尔。
Yes, Neil.
所以我的问题是,Meta的首席执行官马克·扎克伯格正在夏威夷建造一处房产,据说其中包括一个巨大的地下避难所。
So my question was Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of Meta, is building a property in Hawaii, which is said to include a huge underground bunker.
据报道,他在这项工程上花费了多少?
How much is he reported to be spending on the project?
我想我当时选了选项C,也就是一亿美元。
Well, I think I gave option c, which was a $100,000,000.
你答对了,尼尔。
You're right, Neil.
据说该房产包含一个大型地下掩体。
The property is said to include a large underground bunker.
尽管扎克伯格说那只是一个小小的庇护所。
Although Zuckerberg says it's just a little shelter.
好的。
Okay.
现在我们来回顾一下节目中所学的语言,首先是‘生存主义者’,指那些认为灾难即将发生并为此做准备的人。
It's time to recap the language we've learnt during the programme, starting with prepper someone who thinks disaster is likely to happen soon and so prepares for it.
开玩笑的意思就是逗乐。
Kidding means joking.
你的思维方式就是你看待事物的方式。
Your mentality is the way you think about things.
末日指的是导致破坏和变革的重大事件。
An apocalypse refers to a serious event which causes destruction and change.
你的社会地位是指他人给予你的尊重和重要性程度。
Your status or status in society is the amount of respect and importance other people give you.
如果你对某事做出妥协,比如你的生活方式,就意味着你降低了它的标准。
And if you compromise something, like your lifestyle, you lower the standard of it.
以上就是本期《六分钟英语》的全部内容。
That's it for this episode of six Minute English.
但是汉娜,人们在哪里可以找到更多《世界万象》的内容?
But Hannah, where can people find more What in the World?
你可以在任何获取BBC播客的地方收听我们,也可以在BBC世界服务的YouTube频道观看我们。
Well, you can listen to us wherever you get your BBC podcasts, or you can watch us on the BBC World Service YouTube channel.
只需在工作室搜索《世界万象》,或点击本节目笔记中的链接即可。
Just search for What in the World in the Studio or click on the link in the notes for this programme.
别忘了登录我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,通过测验检验你在这期节目中所学的内容。
And don't forget to test what you've learnt in this programme with the quiz on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
再见,暂时告别。
Goodbye for now.
再见。
Goodbye.
如果你是末日生存者,祝你好运。
And if you're a prepper, good luck.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。