本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
好吧。
Alright.
嗯,希望AirPods别把事情搞得太糟。
Well, hopefully, AirPods don't screw things up too bad.
看起来就像在空中的人一样。
Can look like humans on air.
如果我们遇到麦克风不在画面中的情况,那将是一个颠覆性的改变。
And if we ever end up in a situation with microphones that are out of frame, it'd be game changing.
那样我们就不会感觉像是在互相交谈了。
It'd be less like we're talking to each other.
是你吗?
Is it you?
是你吗?
Is it you?
是你吗?
Is it you?
现在谁掌握了真相?
Who got the truth now?
是你吗?
Is it you?
是你吗?
Is it you?
是你吗?
Is it you?
让我坐下。
Sit me down.
直说吧。
Say it straight.
另一个故事即将展开。
Another story on the way.
谁掌握了真相?
Who got the truth?
欢迎收听Acquired播客第十季第四集,本节目聚焦伟大的科技公司及其背后的故事与操作手册。
Welcome to season ten episode four of Acquired, the podcast about great technology companies and the stories and playbooks behind them.
我是本·吉尔伯特,也是位于西雅图的Pioneer Square Labs的联合创始人兼管理合伙人,以及我们的风投基金PSL Ventures的管理合伙人。
I'm Ben Gilbert, and I am the cofounder and managing director of Seattle based Pioneer Square Labs and our venture fund, PSL Ventures.
我是大卫·罗森塔尔,一名来自旧金山的天使投资人。
And I'm David Rosenthal, and I am an angel investor based in San Francisco.
我们是你们的主持人。
And we are your hosts.
我们已经做过Sequoia。
We've done Sequoia.
我们已经做过Andreessen Horowitz,但还没有深入探讨风投领域目前最重大的故事之一——跨界投资。
We've done Andreessen Horowitz, but we have not gone deep on one of the biggest stories in venture right now, crossover investing.
我们正看到像Tiger Global和Cotu这样的对冲基金一路向下,涉足种子轮投资;同时,像Sequoia这样的传统早期风投机构也在彻底重塑自身结构,以便在被投公司上市后仍能长期持有它们。
We are watching hedge funds like Tiger Global and Cotu come all the way down to seed investing, and we're simultaneously seeing classically early stage venture capital firms like Sequoia completely reinvent their structure to hold on to their winners longer even as they become public companies.
今天,我们想分析一家率先采用这种双重模式的公司——同时运营对冲基金和风险投资基金的Altimeter Capital。
And today, we wanted to analyze one of the firms that pioneered this dual approach of operating a hedge fund and a venture capital firm simultaneously, Altimeter Capital.
过去几年里,风险投资领域发生了巨大变化。
There has been so much change in Venture in the last few years.
我认为,过去几年的变化比我之前观察风险投资的十年还要多。
More change, I think, in the last few years than in the decade that I was doing Venture than watching it before.
为了讲好这个故事,今天我们邀请到了这家公司的创始人布拉德·格斯特纳。
And listeners, to tell the story right, we are joined today by Brad Gerstner, the founder of the firm.
说实话,其实是他和我们一起来的。
And, actually, to tell you the truth, he is joined by us.
我们实际上是在Altimeter公司位于沙丘路的办公室里,面对面录制了这期节目,还用了摄像机、支架、麦克风等全套设备。
We actually recorded this episode in person even with video, stands, microphones, everything at the Altimeter office on Sandhill Road.
对于还不了解的人,布拉德有着令人难以置信的职业生涯,他创办了五家公司。
And for those of you who don't know, Brad has had an unbelievable career starting five companies.
因此,他的思维方式与传统的对冲基金经理截然不同。
So he's got a very different mentality than your sort of classic hedge fund guy.
在投资方面,他主导了Snowflake的C轮融资,并且至今仍持有该公司大量股份。
On the investing side, he led the series c and Snowflake and still owns a massive stake of the company.
他主导了大量投资,并担任过你熟知的公司如MongoDB、Roblox、Zillow和Plaid的董事会成员。
He's led large investments and sat on the board of companies you know, like MongoDB and Roblox and Zillow and Plaid.
他主导了使Grab在东南亚上市的SPAC交易,并且由于参与了Expedia、Orbitz、Uber等诸多公司,他被广泛认为是全球在线旅游行业最懂行的人之一。
He led the SPAC that took Grab public in Southeast Asia, and he is widely known as one of the most knowledgeable people in the world on the business of online travel after his involvement in Expedia, Orbitz, Uber, and many others.
你可能忘了最重要的一点。
And you forgot maybe the most important part.
我认为他是我们朋友在《All In》播客上最常邀请的嘉宾。
I think he's the number one bestie guestie on our friends over at the all in pod.
我觉得这很可能没错。
I think that's probably right.
这很可能没错。
It's probably right.
好了,各位听众。
Alright, listeners.
现在是我们向Acquired团队最喜爱的公司之一Sentry致谢的好时机。
This is a great time to thank one of our favorite companies here at Acquired, Sentry.
那就是 Sentry,就像一个站岗的人。
That's s e n t r y, like someone standing guard.
是的。
Yes.
Sentry 帮助开发者调试错误和延迟问题,几乎能解决任何软件问题,并在用户发怒前修复它们。
Sentry helps developers debug errors and latency issues pretty much any software problem and fix them before users get mad.
正如它们官网所说,超过四百万名软件开发者都认为它不错。
As their homepage puts it, they are considered not bad by over 4,000,000 software developers.
今天,我们要讨论 Sentry 如何与 Acquired 宇宙中的另一家公司 Anthropic 合作。
Today, are talking about the way Sentry works with another company in the acquired universe, Anthropic.
Anthropic 过去曾使用一些旧的基础设施监控工具,但在他们庞大的规模和复杂性下,他们转而采用 Sentry 来更快地解决问题。
Anthropic used to have some older infrastructure monitoring in place, But at their massive scale and complexity, they instead adopted Sentry to help them fix issues faster.
对。
Yep.
在人工智能领域,崩溃可能是个大问题。
Crashes can be a massive problem in AI.
如果你正在运行一个庞大的计算任务,比如训练模型,一旦某个节点失效,就可能影响数百甚至数千台服务器。
If you're running a huge compute job like training a model and one node fails, it can affect hundreds or thousands of servers.
Sentry 帮助他们检测到有故障的硬件,从而能在引发连锁问题前迅速将其屏蔽。
Sentry helped them detect bad hardware so they could quickly reject it before causing a cascading problem.
Sentry 还让他们能够将排查大规模问题的时间从几天缩短到几小时,从而更快恢复训练任务。
Sentry also enabled them to debug massive issues in hours instead of days so they could get back to their training runs.
如今,Anthropic 依赖 Sentry 来追踪异常、分配错误,并实时分析其研究团队所使用的主要编程语言(包括 Python、Rust 和 C++)中的故障。
And today, Anthropic relies on Sentry to track exceptions, assign errors, and analyze failures in real time across all of the primary languages used by Anthropic's research teams, including Python, Rust, and c plus plus.
根据 Anthropic 团队的说法,Sentry 为我们的开发者提供了一个集所有调试所需信息于一体的平台。
According to the Anthropic team, Sentry gives our developers one place that will have all the information they need to debug an issue.
说到 AI,Sentry 现在推出了一款名为 SEER 的 AI 调试器。
And speaking of AI, Sentry now has an AI debugger called SEER.
SEER 是一个 AI 代理,它能整合 Sentry 和你的代码库中的所有问题上下文,不仅猜测问题,更能深入定位棘手问题的根本原因,并为你量身提出可直接合并的修复方案。
SEER is an AI agent that taps into all the issue context from Sentry and your code base to not just guess, but root cause gnarly issues and propose merge ready fixes specific to your application.
我们非常期待与 Sentry 合作。
We're pumped to be working with Sentry.
他们拥有令人难以置信的客户名单,不仅包括Anthropic,还有Cursor、Vercel、Linear等公司。
They have an incredible customer list, including not only Anthropic, but Cursor, Vercel, Linear, and more.
如果你想快速修复有问题的代码,就像超过15万家使用Sentry的组织一样,从独立爱好者到全球最大的公司,你可以访问 sentry.io/acquired。
If you wanna fix your broken code fast, like over a 150,000 other organizations that use Sentry from indie hobbyists to some of the biggest companies in the world, you can check out sentry.io/acquired.
那就是 sentry.io/acquired,别忘了告诉他们是Ben和David推荐的。
That's sentry.io/acquired, and just tell them that Ben and David sent you.
是的。
Yes.
他们为所有Acquired听众提供两个月的免费服务。
And they're offering two months free to all Acquired listeners.
是的。
Yes.
谢谢Sentry。
Thank you, Sentry.
好了,我们现在将切换到与Brad的访谈,但请提前知道,你可以在 acquired.fm/slack 上与我们讨论本集以及科技界的其他一切内容。
Well, we will cut over to our interview with Brad now, but please do know ahead of time that, you can discuss this episode and everything else in the tech world afterwards with us at acquired.fm/slack.
加入像你一样聪明、有思想的11000人行列。
Join 11,000 smart, thoughtful people like yourself.
我们还推出了一些精彩的LP节目内容。
And we have some awesome new LP show content out there.
你可以在你选择的播客平台中搜索“Acquired LP Show”。
You can search Acquired LP Show in the podcast player of your choice.
最后,这并非投资建议。
And, lastly, this is not investment advice.
请自行做研究。
Do your own research.
现在,有请来自Altimeter资本的布拉德·格斯特纳。
And now over to Brad Gerstner from Altimeter Capital.
跟我们谈谈你的家庭以及你父亲的创业经历。
Tell us about your family and your dad's experience with entrepreneurship.
我成长于印第安纳州北部靠近圣母大学的一个小乡村小镇,是家里第一代大学生。
Well, I grew up in a in a small rural town in Northern Indiana near Notre Dame, first generation college.
我爸爸有着一个典型的移民故事。
My dad had, you know, classic immigrant story.
他的父母几乎放弃了所有,只为供他们唯一的儿子上大学。
His parents had kind of given up everything in order to help put their only child through college.
他一开始在西北大学就读,但家里负担不起那里的费用,后来转到了伊利诺伊州的布拉德利大学,拿到了工程学位。
He started at Northwestern, they couldn't afford to finish there, you know, ended up at at Bradley in in Illinois, got an engineering degree.
简而言之,我出生于1971年。
And long story short, 1977 I was born in '71.
所以到了1977年,他成为了一家汽车零部件制造商的总经理,这家工厂是小镇上大多数人的主要雇主。
So 1977, he becomes a general manager of the auto parts manufacturer in, the small town that employed most of the people in the town.
是像通用汽车那样的公司吗?
Is it like a GM?
是的。
Yeah.
当时这家供应商是通用汽车和福特的供应商。
It supplier was to GM, a supplier to Ford at the time.
记住,我们的汽车行业当时正受到日本汽车制造商的冲击。
And remember, our auto industry was under assault by the Japanese auto manufacturers.
当时利率和通胀都高达两位数,这是三十年来首次再次成为人们热议的话题。
You had double digit interest rates and inflation, which for the first time in thirty years is all of sudden the topic of conversation again.
是在沃尔克领导下的美联储吗?
With the Fed under Volker?
是的,是在沃尔克时期。
Yeah, under Volker.
我们经历了七十年代末的滞胀,也就是低增长、高通胀。
We had, you remember stagflation, the end of the seventies, which was low growth, high inflation.
不知为何,突然有收购方前来想买下这家工厂。
And for some reason you know, so there was an acquirer that came along to buy this plant.
他们需要让我父亲和工人们同意这笔交易。
They needed to get my dad and the workers to go along, with the deal.
我父亲说,只要他们答应不裁员,他就能说服工人们。
My dad said he could deliver the workers so long as they agreed not to lay anybody off.
当然,他们说他们会这么做。
Of course, they said they would do that.
三个月后,他们打算裁掉所有这些人。
Three months later, they were going to lay off all these people.
在这个小镇上,你的话就是承诺。
And in this small town, your words are bond.
我父亲根本无法接受这样的结果。
And my dad just couldn't live with himself with that outcome.
于是,他一时冲动,决定要创办一家竞争对手。
And so in a fit of lunacy, decided that he was going to start a competitor.
他对创业一无所知。
He knew nothing about starting a business.
在那个地区,根本不存在风险投资这种东西。
There was no such thing in that part of the world as venture capital.
他只知道如何制造这些零件,也知道能激励这些男女加入他的事业,这是一场 crusade。
All he knew is that he knew how to make these parts and he knew he could inspire these men and women to join his cause and it was a crusade.
这是一场英勇的 crusade,我知道我可能带着玫瑰色的眼镜来看待它,但确实如此。
And it was a, you know, I look at it and I'm sure I look at it through rose colored lenses, but it was a valiant crusade.
不幸的是,我不得不向镇上的银行借钱。
Unfortunately, I had to borrow money from the town bank.
在典型的《Acquired》剧集或典型的科技故事中,这就像一场英雄之旅,他最终赢了。
In a typical Acquired episode or a typical tech story, it's like, this is the hero's journey and, like, he wins.
对吧?
Right?
你从小在这种了不起的创业旅程中长大,觉得这太棒了。
And, like, you grow up in this, like, amazing, you know, entrepreneurial journey, and you're like, this is awesome.
我也要去做同样的事。
I'm gonna go do the same for that.
这不会
That's not
发生。
gonna happen.
我希望这个故事能以这种方式结束,为了他好。
I wish I wish the story ended that way, you know, for his sake.
我的意思是,他向银行借了钱,抵押了房子,还抵押了车子。
I mean, he borrowed money from the bank, mortgaged the house, mortgaged the car.
有时候,尽管你尽了最大努力,尽管团队做出了非凡的牺牲,甚至想法本身非常出色,但命运的天平却完全偏向了另一边。
And the punchline is there are moments in time where the deck is so stacked against you, notwithstanding all your best effort, notwithstanding all the extraordinary sacrifice of the team, or maybe even the brilliance of the idea.
在那个时刻,这件事注定不会成功。
It's not meant to be at that moment.
在风险投资领域,如果你失败了,主要的风险是由风险投资人承担的。
And in venture capital, if you fail, the risk is largely on the venture capitalist.
我的意思是,在硅谷,只要创始人行事得体,失败的责任就落在创始人身上。
I mean, in Silicon Valley, failure is on the part of the founder so long as you conduct yourself in a way that's honorable.
你敢于尝试,这本身就是一种勇气的象征。
It's a badge of courage that you gave it a go.
我们有一个制度结构,让风险投资人能够承受这种损失,因为他们拥有一个投资组合,可以缓冲这些损失。
And we have an institutional structure where the venture capitalists can withstand that loss because they have a portfolio that they can cushion that with.
所以我经常看到年轻的创始人进来,说:‘我真的不确定自己能不能承担这个风险。’
So I often young founders will come in and say, well, I just don't know if I can take the risk.
他们刚从斯坦福毕业。
They just graduated from Stanford.
他们没有任何学生贷款。
They have no student debt.
是的。
Yeah.
他们正从风险投资人那里获得资金。
They're getting money from a venture capitalist.
如果他们失败了,也不需要偿还这笔钱。
If they fail, they don't have to pay the money back.
如果他们成功了,就能获得巨大的回报。
If they win, they get, you know, huge upside.
如果他们已经到了从风险投资人那里拿钱、拿到投资条款清单的阶段,那事情基本上已经成了——你已经赢了。
If they're at the stage where they're actually taking money from a venture capitalist and they have a term sheet and that, you know, that's gonna happen for them You've already won.
这里的个人风险极低。
The personal risk there is extremely low.
根本没有风险。
There's there's no risk.
你指的是什么风险?
What what risk are you talking about?
风险是:你有个年幼的家庭,抵押了房子和车子,面临两位数的利率和通货膨胀,生意失败,父亲失去健康,失去房子,失去婚姻,对吧?
The risk is have a young family, mortgage your house, mortgage your car, double digit interest rates and inflation, the business goes under, my dad loses his health, he loses his house, he loses his marriage, right?
那才是风险。
That's risk.
是的。
Yeah.
对吧?
Right?
这个国家最棒的地方在于,我们建立了一套鼓励冒险者的体系。
And the beautiful thing about this country is we have created a system where we encourage risk takers.
不幸的是,1980年,在美国中部的一个小镇,我父亲拒绝申请破产。
Unfortunately, in 1980, in the middle part of the country in a small town, my dad refused to declare bankruptcy.
他愿意用余生努力偿还那笔钱,因为他曾向借钱给他的人许下过承诺。
He would work the rest of his life trying to pay back that money because it was his word that he gave to the people who lent him the money.
因此,当我听到创业者们谈论风险,或者当我思考创办Altimeter或其他公司所面临的风险时,这些根本算不上什么风险,与他所承担的风险相比简直微不足道。
And so I think about that when I hear from entrepreneurs or when I even think about the risk associated with starting Altimeter or starting the other companies I started, it's really not risk relative to the risk he undertook.
所以我从小在企业家的环境中长大,但那并不是一个英雄式的创业故事。
So I grew up around an entrepreneur, but it was not a heroic entrepreneurial story.
我的祖父,也就是我父亲的父亲,根本禁止我们成为创业者。
And my grandfather, my father's father, basically forbade us from becoming entrepreneurs.
他对四个孙子说:你们可以成为专业人士,比如医生、律师、建筑师,但请千万不要成为创业者。
And he said to the four grandchildren, You can become professionals, doctors, lawyers, architects, but please don't become entrepreneurs.
所以我觉得自己欠他一份责任,尽管我从高中起就一直在搞一些小生意,我哥哥在大学时也这么想。
And so I felt like I owed that to him, even though I felt I was always kind of starting little enterprises in high school and thinking that way my brother did in college.
但我还是去上了法学院。
But I went to law school.
你当时以为自己会从政,成为政府的领导者。
And you thought you were going to go into politics, be, you know, a leader in government.
你在那条路上走了多远?
How far did you get on that path?
这个想法很早就定下来了。
That was programmed pretty early.
我在1991年到1992年间在牛津学习。
I had studied, in '91, '92 at Oxford.
我回来后,为印第安纳州的美国参议员迪克·卢格工作。
I came back and worked for The US senator from Indiana, Dick Luger.
当时他是外交关系委员会的主席。
He was chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee at the time.
那时我们正在推动俄罗斯的去核化。
We were denuclearizing Russia at the time.
那是一个充满激情的时刻,与一位德高望重的政治家、罗德学者、杰出的人共事,能与他共事我深感荣幸,之后我们也一直保持联系。
It was a pretty heady moment in time with a senior statesman, Rhodes Scholar, incredible human being, honored to work with him, stayed close with him.
所以当我从法学院毕业,进入一家大型律师事务所工作时,接到了卢格参议员的电话,他问我是否愿意接受印第安纳州副州务卿的任命,那时我大概是二十六七岁。
And so when I graduated from law school and I went to work for a big law firm, I got a call from Senator Luger asking me I don't know, I must have been 26 or 27 if I had to accept an appointment as deputy secretary of state in Indiana.
埃文·贝赫后来成为了印第安纳州的州长和参议员,他也是从这个职位起步的。
Evan Bayh, who went on to become governor and senator from Indiana, started there.
因此,这可以说是进入印第安纳州政坛的一个知名起点。
So it was kind of a known launching pad into Indiana politics.
于是我成为了副州务卿,面临一个抉择:要么竞选州务卿,要么去赚钱。
So I became deputy secretary of state and faced this fork in the road that I was either going to run for secretary of state or I was going to go try to make some money.
我考虑到自己成长在一个为金钱所困的家庭。
And I concluded having grown up around a family that struggled for money.
事实上,我祖父曾说:我们不是有钱的问题,而是缺钱的问题。
In fact, my grandfather said, we don't have money problems, we have lack of money problems.
我以前就听过你讲过这个。
I've heard you talk about this before.
这么说公平吗?你并不想为了竞选政治职位去筹钱?
Is it is it fair to say that you you didn't wanna go raise money to run a political campaign?
让我一辈子低头乞讨资金,这让我根本无法接受。
The idea of groveling for the rest of my career for money just didn't sit well with me.
有个有点疯狂但我很钦佩的人,就是1991年罗斯·佩罗的竞选活动。
Kind of a loon, but somebody I admired was the 1991 campaign of Ross Perot.
他用自己的数千万美元,在电视上以一种滑稽的方式,拿着海报板抨击国家债务。
And he, you know, spent tens of millions of his own money to go on television in kind of a goofy way with poster boards and rail against the national debt.
我觉得,没人能操控他。
And I thought, nobody owns this guy.
但人们忘了,他在选举前三周退出了竞选,但我认为他仍然获得了17%或19%的选票。
And, pero, people forget, he dropped out of the campaign three weeks before the election, and I think he still got 17 or 19% of the vote.
他自己就是个企业家。
He was an entrepreneur himself.
对吧?
Right?
他创办了
He started
EDS。
EDS.
EDS。
EDS.
是的。
Yeah.
电子数据系统。
Electronic Data Systems.
我不敢说,你知道的,我对罗斯·佩罗有很多不了解的地方,这也不是对他的政治立场的背书。
And I wouldn't say I you know, there there was a lot about Ross Perot I don't know, and it's not an endorsement of his politics.
但。
But it
但看到这一点。
But was seeing that.
对我来说,没人能掌控他。
Nobody owned it to me.
我当时想,好吧。
I was like, okay.
我可以一辈子摇着罐子要饭。
I can either shake a tin can for the rest of my life.
但像我之前的其他人一样,他们说:嘿,我要回商学院。
But like others who came before me, said, hey, I'll go back to business school.
也许我能赚点钱。
Maybe I can make a little bit of money.
所以计划是回去
And so the plan was go back
上哈佛商学院。
to HBS.
你是怎么决定要去哈佛商学院的?
How did you decide on wanting to go to HBS?
有人激励或鼓励你这么做吗?
Did somebody inspire you or encourage you to do that?
这是一个有点尴尬的故事。
It's a slightly embarrassing story.
我其实没做多少研究。
I didn't really do much research.
我记得在最后一天参加入学考试,手忙脚乱地填写申请表。
I remember taking the entrance exam the last day, scrambling to fill out the application.
事实上,我连申请表都没填完,因为后来我得到了面试机会,我记得面试我的人说,这种情况很独特。
In fact, I didn't even finish the application because I ended up getting an interview, and I remember the person who interviewed me said, this is a unique situation.
我可以说,我从未面试过连申请表都没时间填完的人。
I can't say that I've ever interviewed somebody who didn't have time to complete the application.
于是他一开始就说:你为什么没时间填完申请表?
And so he started with, why didn't you have time to complete the application?
你可能会说,呃,我可是副国务卿啊,对吧
You're like, well, I'm deputy secretary of state I right
我一路走到了这一步。
through I went through it.
而且也不是说,我只是最后才决定的。
And it wasn't you know, it was just I decided late.
我当时是。
And I was.
我拼命地工作。
I was working my ass off.
但我说,现在就是时候了。
But I said, now's the time.
我们就这样走了一遍,而且
And we went through it and
所以,你知道,这个故事对沃伦·巴菲特来说结局就不同了。
So, you know, that's a different outcome to the same story for Warren Buffett.
他想上哈佛商学院,而且坚信自己一定能被录取。
He wanted to go to Harvard Business School, and he was so sure he was gonna get in.
他没完成申请,却笃定自己会被录取。
He didn't complete the application, was sure he was gonna get in.
当然,他没被录取。
Of course, he didn't get in.
然后他不得不匆忙应对,这才去了哥伦比亚大学。
And then he had to scramble, that's how he ended up at Columbia.
当然,之后的事就都是历史了。
And, of course, the rest is history.
我上高中的时候,其中一个我最早的工作,就是一边上学一边打工。
When I was in high school, one of my first you know, I worked and was was going to school at the same time.
那是在我和父亲发生那件事之后。
And this was after this episode with my father.
我家乡所在的印第安纳州,全美国的房车和改装面包车都是在那里生产的。
And the part of Indiana that I'm from, they make all the RVs and conversion vans in the country.
于是我得到了一份工作,当某人的得力助手,相当于小幕僚长,什么都干。
So I ended up with a job as kind of the right hand, little chief of staff, go do anything.
我向一个叫皮特·莱加尔的人提出了请求。
I asked of a guy named Pete Legal.
彼特·莱加尔正在创办一家房车公司。
And Pete Legal was starting a RV company.
我为彼特工作了两年。
And I worked for two years for Pete.
他让我做各种事情,比如在财务部协助首席财务官,或者在生产线上帮忙处理1987年西耶拉房车线的采购工作。
He had me doing everything, you know, in the accounting department with the CFO, you know, out on the line helping to run purchasing for the Sierra RV line in 1987.
有趣的是这一点。
Here's the interesting thing.
彼特后来创建了全球最大的房车公司,并将其卖给了沃伦·巴菲特。
Pete went on to build the largest RV company in the world that he sold to Warren Buffett.
沃伦在他的年度信件中多次提到彼特,称他是个了不起的人,是我极大的灵感来源。
And Warren has written a lot in his annual letters about Pete, who's just a legend of a human being, was a great inspiration to me.
有趣的是,我最终和沃伦的搭档泰德·韦斯勒变得熟络起来,我们还一起合作过一些交易。
And it was funny because, ultimately, I became fond and friendly with Ted Weschler who works alongside Warren, and we worked on some deals together.
你知道,我们接下来要谈一笔交易
And, you know, the world We're gonna talk about a deal
我们稍后聊聊你们一起做的那个项目。
that you worked on together in just a little bit here.
真是圆满闭环了。
Really came full circle.
我也有和你一样的性格特点,就是不太愿意向人要钱。
I have the same personality characteristic that you do around an aversion to asking people for money.
是的。
Mhmm.
在政治筹款中,我能理解这会特别困难。
And in fundraising for politics, I can see how that would be especially hard.
我的意思是,你多年来为阿尔蒂米特筹集的资金,我想已经有数十亿美元了。
I mean, you you've raised, I think, literally billions of dollars over the years for Altimeter.
你现在筹款的方式,为什么在心理上感觉不一样了?
What is it about the way that you fundraise now that hits differently in your psyche?
那时候我就有这种感觉,也许只是因为那时我不像现在这样相信自己,但感觉像是在向人提出个人请求。
You know, I had the feeling at the time, and maybe it's just because at that point in time, I didn't believe in myself perhaps the way I believe in myself now, but it felt like a very personal ask.
比如,给我钱支持我的竞选。
Like, give me money for my campaign.
你知道的。
You know?
现在我是一名守护者。
Now I am a steward.
我是代表你们的受托人,我相信我会为你们赚很多钱,我们也已经为我们的有限合伙人赚了很多钱。
I am a fiduciary on your behalf, and I believe I'm gonna make you a lot of money, and we have made a lot of money for our LPs.
如果你们能看到我们收到的来自大学捐赠基金、基金会和家族办公室的信件,以及它们所描述的我们帮助实现的变革性成果——免费教育、大幅增加的奖学金、环保事业、移民议题,或是城市中心的学校。
And if you could see the letters we've received from university endowments, from foundations, from family offices, and the transformative things they outlined that we allowed them to do, free education, dramatically more scholarships, whether it's the environmental causes, whether it's immigration causes, whether it's inner city schools.
所以对我来说,我认为这些伟大的事业,正如别人所说的,我们可以为之努力,这不仅对创业者有利,对我们的经济有利,也能真正推动一些根本性问题的解决。
So to me, I think there is the great causes, I think as somebody else coined the phrase, that we can work on behalf of in a way that's great for entrepreneurs, in a way that's great for our economy, and in a way that helps to really transform some underlying causes.
因此,对我而言,这个请求更容易了,因为它不再那么个人化。
So it's an easier ask for me because it it doesn't feel quite so personal.
即使当你竞选公职时,你知道,这是为公共利益服务,但对你来说,它更像在说:‘帮我做这件事’,而我无法完全向公民展示这其中的回报率,但
And even though when you're running for office, you know, it's in public service, it kinda felt to you more like, hey, do this thing for me, and I can't totally see the ROI for you as a citizen, but
如果你能看到给我钱投资对你自己的回报率,这反而成了个问题。
It's kind of a problem if you can see the ROI for you for giving me the money to invest.
比如
Like
不。
No.
我觉得你说得对。
I think I think that's right.
听我说。
Listen.
我已经成功为政界人士和其他许多伟大事业筹集了大量资金。
I've gone on to raise a lot of money for people in politics to for a lot of other great causes.
为别人筹款对我来说很容易。
It's really easy for me to ask for others.
当我自己成为筹款受益者时,这就变得困难多了。
It's a more difficult ask when I'm a beneficiary of the ask.
而且在26岁的时候,即使有导师的支持,你也并没有广泛的人脉让那么多人替你去争取。
And at 26, even with the support of your mentor, it's not like you had the broad network to have so many people go ask on your behalf.
好的。
Okay.
于是你进入了哈佛商学院。
So you get to HBS.
你在哈佛商学院结识了两位小伙子,大卫和乔尔,他们后来创办了通用资本。
You get hooked up with two guys at HBS, David and Joel, who are going to start General Catalyst.
他们本身并不是那种让你觉得‘你肯定会创办一家风险投资公司’的人。
They themselves weren't people that you were like, oh, it's obvious you're gonna start a venture capital firm.
对吧?
Right?
恰恰相反,但我非常喜爱他们两人。
Quite the opposite, but I love them both dearly.
在那之前,让我稍微回溯一下。
Let me rewind just a little bit before that.
1989年,我开始对电子邮件网络产生浓厚兴趣,当时在Prodigy工作,并关注90年代的AOL,对投资产生了极大兴趣。
1989, I really start getting enamored with email networks, working in Prodigy, and following AOL in the '90s, really interested in investing.
1996年,我从法学院毕业。
1996, I'm graduating from law school.
现在,我提到过的祖父去世后留给了我2.5万美元。
Now my grandfather, who I mentioned, left me $25,000 when he passed away.
我用这2.5万美元进行日内交易,支付了法学院和商学院的学费。
And I day traded that $25,000 to put myself through law school and business school.
我考取了证券从业资格证,因为我想,也许这些人知道一些我还不懂的东西。
And I took the series seven because I thought, man, maybe there's something these people know that I don't know.
我想了解投资背后的隐秘真相。
I want to know the dark secrets of investing.
但后来我意识到,天啊,这些人其实什么都不知道。
And then I realized, wow, none of these people know anything.
这就是那个隐秘的真相。
That's the dark secret.
这个秘密就是根本没什么秘密。
The dark secret is there is no secret.
所以1996年我从法学院毕业时,也和很多人一样,经历了Netscape浏览器带来的震撼时刻。
So 1996, when I'm graduating from law school, I also have this moment like so many people did with the Netscape browser.
我当时就想,这彻底改变了互联网这个东西——以前互联网只是电脑之间通信和电子邮件网络,感觉很古怪、难以接触。
And I said, this changes the game on this thing called the Internet, which was just these computers talking and email networks, it felt wonky and inaccessible.
我记得在法学院图书馆召集了一群朋友,包括现在担任我总法律顾问的那个人。
And I remember gathering in the law school library a group of my friends, including the guy sitting in there who's now my general counsel.
我对他们说:你们必须看看这个。
And I said, you gotta see this.
从1996年开始,我回到那家律师事务所工作。
So from 1996, then I go back, work for this law firm.
1996年,我们开始接到一些关于域名抢注的诉讼案件。
We started getting litigation claims of people who are doing domain squatting in 1996.
但这家600人的律师事务所里,没人懂互联网、域名或任何相关的东西。
Well, nobody in this 600 person law firm knew anything about the Internet or domains or anything else.
我举手说:这些我都接了。
I raised my hand, I said, I'll take all of that.
你知道的,我帮他们建了律师事务所的网站,很快我就成了‘互联网专家’。
You know, I helped them build the firm website and I quickly became known as the Internet guy.
但我一直在想,如果我要去商学院,就必须找到去硅谷的路。
But I was thinking, so if I go back to business school, I've got to find my way to Silicon Valley.
我从法学院毕业时,确实来过这里,因为这里有一家名为VLG的创新律所——风险律所。
When I was graduating from law school, I actually came out here because there was an innovative law firm out here called VLG, the Venture Law Firm.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
当时他们通过为公司提供法律服务来换取股权。
That was taking equity stakes at the time for doing work for companies.
于是我真的一下子登上了飞机。
So I literally got on a plane.
我飞到了这里。
I flew out here.
办公室就在街对面的玫瑰园酒店旁边。
The office was right next to the Rosewood across the street.
我直接走进他们的办公室,说:嘿,我在找工作。
I just walked into their offices and said, hey, I'm looking for a job.
他们当时并没有适合我的职位,但这件事让我开始逐渐了解这个地方。
Now they didn't have a job for me, but, you know, it started to demystify this place for me.
商学院将是我转向这里的关键转折点。
And business school was going to be my pivot, my off ramp to coming out here.
所以我在1999年去了商学院。
So I go to business school in 1999.
我的意思是,这正是巅峰时期。
I mean, this is Peak.
这是巅峰中的巅峰。
This is peak peak.
对吧?
Right?
你知道吗,1999年的时候,麦肯锡和高盛在哈佛商学院的面试根本没人来参加。
And, you know, McKinsey and Goldman couldn't get anybody to show up at their interviews at HBS in 1999.
因为你的所有同学都对创业疯狂着迷。
Cause all your classmates are just so gaga for an
每个同学都会去创办一家公司。
Every classmate is gonna start a company.
每个同学都会去一家初创公司工作。
Every classmate's gonna work for a startup.
当时还出现了纯粹基于互联网的咨询公司。
Consulting firms were, you know, being started that were Internet only.
那真是一个非常特别的时刻。
It was it was it was really an interesting moment in time.
现在,我又在金融课的后排炒CMGI的股票,明明知道这东西迟早要归零。
Now, again, I'm day trading CMGI out of the back of my finance classroom, knowing that this thing's going to zero.
但我还是会趁还能赚的时候继续炒下去。
But I'm gonna ride it while I can
那你是怎么进行日内交易的?是做交易吗?
And is that like, do trade or how are you day trading at that point?
我们教室外面就有彭博终端。
We had Bloomberg terminals right outside the classroom.
我其实有个富达账户,我会在彭博上做研究,然后下单交易。
I had a Fidelity account actually, and I would do my research on the Bloomberg and then we'd place trades.
听好了。
Listen.
我那时候被称为一个诗人。
I was what's known as a poet.
我的意思是,我是个来自印第安纳的律师。
I mean, I'm a lawyer from Indiana.
出现吧。
Show up.
我这辈子从来没操作过电子表格。
I had never run a spreadsheet in my life.
我去了之后,发现周围都是些在对冲基金、私募股权公司、风险投资公司和华尔街投行工作过的人。
And I show up, and I have all these guys who've worked for hedge funds, private equity firms, venture firms, Wall Street guys, investment bankers.
于是,我突然间就和那些懂的比我多得多的人围在一起,盯着这些机器。
And so all of a sudden, I'm huddled around, you know, these machines with folks who knew a lot more than me.
在金融界,‘诗人’是不是就像扑克里的‘鱼’?
Is poet in finance the same thing as, like, a fish in poker?
没错。
Exactly.
这么说吧。
Let's put it this way.
我们当时正转向用电脑考试,只有我们两个人用计算器和笔参加金融考试,其他人都是用电子表格。
We were transitioning to taking exams on computers, and there were two of us who took our finance exam with a calculator and a pen, and the rest did it with a spreadsheet.
我记得我和一位同学,他是医生,叫克里斯·吉利根。
I remember myself and a classmate of mine who was a doctor, Chris Gilligan.
你看
And look at
你现在。
you now.
看看那些可怜虫,这些
Look at look at all those chumps of these
电脑当时一心想着涌向硅谷。
computers back hell bent on coming to Silicon Valley.
1999年,我开始来这里。
1999, I start coming out here.
我对一家很小的搜索公司着了迷,我开始用它来搜索一切,那就是谷歌。
I was enamored with a small little search company that I had started to, you know, run all my searches on called Google.
一家名叫Tell Me的热门初创公司,由迈克·麦休经营。
A hot start up called Tell Me run by Mike McHugh.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
认可。
Recognition.
最终被出售
Sold to ultimately sold
给
to
微软。
Microsoft.
因此我非常专注于来到这里。
And so I was very focused on coming out here.
我一位同学,后来成了我的妻子,非常坚持留在波士顿。
One of my classmates who had eventually become my wife was very focused on staying in Boston.
我认识了大卫和乔尔。
And I met David and Joel.
于是我说,好吧,也许我可以帮助创办这家风投公司,留在波士顿,看看会怎样。
So I said, Okay, maybe I can help start this venture firm, stay in Boston, and see where it goes.
所以在1999年到2000年期间,我们为这家风投公司提出了一个启动构想。
So in nineteen ninety nine, two thousand, we had a launch idea for the venture firm.
所以,可以说是一家启动公司,是一个在线旅游的概念。
So a launch company, if you will, which was an online travel concept.
它被称为NLG,国家休闲集团。
It was called NLG, National Leisure Group.
我们当时想构建的是基础设施。
And basically what we were trying to build was the infrastructure.
某种程度上可以把它想象成Shopify。
Think Shopify in some ways.
我们将要构建的基础设施,将为Expedia、Travelocity、Yahoo等销售旅游产品的公司提供支持,他们销售的是机票。
The infrastructure that would power Expedia, Travelocity, Yahoo, others who were selling travel, they were selling air tickets.
他们接入了这些全球分销系统,但当时还没有用于销售度假套餐、邮轮等其他产品的GDS。
They were plugged into these global distribution systems, but there was no GDS for selling vacation packages, cruises, all these other things.
所以我们说,那就来为这些领域构建一个有效的GDS吧。
So we said, Let's go build the GDS effectively for that.
我们与软银达成了合作。
And we partnered with SoftBank.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
我们为这个业务筹集了大约五千万美元。
We raised, it must be $50,000,000 for that business.
我们收购了一家小公司,作为我们的核心基础。
We bought a little business to give us kind of the kernel.
我们在其上构建了一个数字层。
We built a digital layer on top of it.
当整个世界都在崩溃时,我们发现自己处于一个相当令人羡慕的位置。
And while the rest of the world was imploding, we found ourselves in a pretty enviable position.
我们把业务做到了超过十亿美元的总预订量。
We built the business to over 1,000,000,000 in gross bookings.
我认为在高峰期,员工人数超过了1000人。
I think it had over 1,000 employees at the peak.
这一切都是一年内完成的,对吧?
That was all within a year, right?
这不到十八个月就完成了,因为这确实行得通。
That was within eighteen months because, again, it worked.
人们真的在线购买这些东西。
Like, people were actually buying this stuff online.
对吧?
Right?
我们只是接入了现有的需求池。
And we were plugging into existing pools of demand.
我们不需要去创造需求。
We weren't going out and having to create demand.
所以当Expedia推出邮轮或度假套餐预订系统时,第二天就有很多人实际购买,而我们就像里面的Shopify。
So Expedia launches, you know, a cruise or a vacation package booking engine, and the next day, a lot of people are actually buying it and we're kind of the Shopify, if you will, inside.
于是,负责Expedia的里奇·巴顿说:‘我们想收购你们的业务。’
And so Rich Barton, who ran Expedia said, Hey, we want to buy the business.
然后我们遇到了达拉·卡什拉沙希,当时他正在为巴里·迪勒尔负责并购,他说:‘我想收购你们的业务。’
And then we ran into Dara Kashrashahi, who was running M and A for Barry Dillard at the time, and he said, you know, I wanna buy the business.
要明确的是,这发生在IAC收购Expedia之前。
And to be clear, this is pre IAC buying Expedia.
对。
Correct.
所以这是两个完全不同的实体在竞购你们公司。
So these are two completely different entities bidding against each other for your company.
对。
Correct.
我对达拉说,我们已经有一个正在洽谈的潜在买家。
And I said to Dara, well, we already have an interested party that we're talking to.
于是他说,那我去找巴里谈谈。
And so he goes, well, let me talk to Barry.
他去和巴里谈完后回来,说:那么,是谁呢?
And so he talks to him and they come back and he said, well, who is it?
我说,我不能告诉你,但这是其中一个大型在线旅游平台。
And I said, well, I can't tell you that, but it's one of the big online travel players.
他说,我觉得巴里也想收购他们。
And he goes, well, I think Barry wants to buy them too.
最终,在2000年10月到2001年5月期间,我们达成了一项交易,USA Networks更名为IAC,并收购了NLG和Expedia。
And that's ultimately what went down between October 2000, May 2001, we put together a deal where USA Networks would be renamed IAC, bought both NLG and Expedia.
哦,这些是同时进行的吗?
Oh, those were concurrent?
这些交易是同时宣布的。
Concurrent deals announced together.
我记得当时和里奇·巴顿一起坐在一辆豪华轿车的后座上,正前往巴里·迪拉德家的路上,我们对视一眼,心想:这世界真奇妙。
I remember being in the back of a limousine in Hollywood on my way to Barry Dillard's house with Rich Barton, we looked at each other and we're like, strange world.
我们是怎么走到这一步的?
How'd we end up here?
这
This
这标志着巴里从一个媒体人转变为媒体与科技领域的创业者,并打造了IAC。
was the beginning of Barry transforming from a media guy into a media and technology guy and and building IAC.
你知道吗?
You know?
是的
Yeah.
当时是USA Networks,后来变成了IAC。
It was USA Networks, and it became IAC.
嗯,我会
Well, I would
关于这一点,我想快速说两点。
say two things about that real quickly.
首先,巴里很早就意识到通过屏幕实现交易型商业的可能性。
First, Barry was early to understand transactional commerce through a screen.
因为有家庭购物网络。
Because of Home Shopping Network.
因为有家庭购物网络。
Because of Home Shopping Network.
他还收购了Ticketmaster,以及一个名为1800HOTEALS的资产,还收购了一些目录公司。
He also acquired Ticketmaster, and he also acquired an asset called one-eight 100 HOTEALS, and he also acquired some catalogs.
它们的共同点都是交易性质的。
What they all had in common was transactional.
它们都是基于电子商务的商业模式,并通过各种媒介实现。
They were all e commerce based business models, and they were through various mediums.
其中最大的是家购物网络,它是通过电视进行的。
The biggest being Home Shopping Network, which is through television.
因此,他稍微聚焦一下,就能看出所有这些交易将如何转移到互联网上,并不困难。
So for him to squint a little bit and to see how all these transactions were gonna move to the Internet was not that difficult.
对他来说,运行得最快的商业引擎是1800酒店,他后来将其更名为Hotels.com。
And the commerce engine, the commerce flywheel that was flying the fastest for him was one eight hundred hotels that he would rename hotels.com.
因此,他在旅行领域表现极为出色,明白这将成为在线商业的一个重要类别,我记得他非常明确地谈到过,通过所有屏幕进行商业交易。
So he was doing extraordinarily well in travel, understood that that would be a big category of online commerce, and I remember very distinctly him talking about, you know, commerce through all the screens.
那是在1999年、2000年,当时大多数人还没看到这一点。
And that was in, you know, 1999, 2000 before most people saw it.
我认为,认识到互联网泡沫时期这一点非常重要,因为每个人回顾时都会嘲笑它,但当时的消费者行为确实已经存在。
I think this is such an important thing to realize about the .com bubble because everyone looks back at it and makes jokes, but the consumer behavior was there.
这在所有这些不同的媒介中,客观上是更好的交易方式。
It was a objectively better way to transact in all these different mediums.
泡沫破裂是因为它是一个投机性资产泡沫,一旦你没有商业模式,资本就会撤离。
And the bubble burst because it was a speculative asset bubble, and capital went away if you didn't have a business model.
但对于那些拥有商业模式并能实现正自由现金流的人来说,所有的需求都朝这个方向汇聚,而且这种需求从未消失。
But for those who did and who could, you know, be free cash flow positive, this is where all the demand was going, and that never went away.
对吧?
Right?
你能感受到当时人们仍然想这么做,只要……
Could you feel that in the moment of, like, people still wanna do this as long as
我不能说我自己感受到了。
I can't say that I did.
你得记住,泡沫破裂时规模有多大,风险溢价的变化,还有9/11事件,这些都太集中了。
You I was really worried about you you gotta remember the size of the bubble bursting, the change in risk premiums, right, and then the events of 09/11/2001, they were all so compressed.
这就像战争中的迷雾。
It's the fog of war.
对吧?
Right?
我认为我们当时唯一确定的是,互联网不会消失。
I think about all we really knew for sure is this Internet thing wasn't going away.
围绕它会诞生真正的商业,但当时非常不清楚何时能获得建设这些业务所需的资金,以及资金从何而来。
There are gonna be real businesses built around it, but it was very unclear when you would have the capital required to build the businesses, where the capital was going to come from.
回头看,这似乎很简单,但我说2001年、2002年、2003年其实是一份礼物,不过在经历那段时期时,那真是一段艰难的历程。
You know, in hindsight, it seems pretty simple, but I would say 2001, 2002, 2003 turned out to be a gift, but that's a slog, right, when you're going through it.
是的。
Yep.
我看看今天那些单位经济为负、毛利率为负、却以超高估值融资的商业模式。
I look at business models today that have negative unit economics, negative gross margins, raising money at super high valuations.
那段经历让我留下了心理创伤。
I have post traumatic stress from that period.
因为如果你是一家高烧钱、单位经济为负的企业,一旦进入风险溢价发生变化的环境,不管你有多优秀,都会消失。
Because if you are a high burn business with negative unit economics and you fly into a world where risk premiums change, it doesn't matter how good you are, you cease to exist.
嗯嗯。
Mhmm.
对吧?
Right?
而且而且
And And
他们最终会改变的。
so they will change eventually.
我的意思是,这一点是
I mean, that's the thing that
看看过去八周发生了什么,对吧?
Just look at what's happened over the course of the last eight weeks, right?
增长倍数下降了50%。
Growth multiples are down 50%.
风险溢价已经发生了巨大变化。
Risk premiums have changed dramatically.
有很多企业属于我刚才描述的类别,它们将无法生存下去。
There are a lot of businesses that are in the category I just described that aren't gonna make it.
因此,在经历了这一切之后,最自然的决定就是你打算去做公开市场的投资者。
So the natural thing to decide after all this is that you're gonna go be a public markets investor.
对吧?
Right?
我只是知道,我们之所以想这么做,部分原因在于。
Like, I just know, part of why we wanted to hey.
这是一个很棒的故事。
It's a great story.
是的。
Yeah.
但同时,像Altimeter最终在这个领域会变成什么样,你们我认为可能是最纯粹的案例,绝对是最早之一,如果不是第一个的话,生命周期投资者。
But also, like, what Altimeter ultimately becomes in this, you know, you guys, I think, are maybe the purest play example, certainly one of the first, if not the first, life cycle investor.
你知道,当时根本没人会明显觉得你应该在这个时候去加入对冲基金。
You know, it was just not at all obvious that you should go join a hedge fund at this point.
对吧?
Right?
那这是怎么发生的呢?
Like, how did that happen?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,中间还发生了一些别的事。
I mean, so there's a little bit more in between.
9月11日发生了,这是一个非常灾难性的事件,特别是对我们这家在线旅游公司而言。
So September 11 happens, which is a really catastrophic event, particularly for our company that was an online travel company.
于是我们和IAC协商达成了一个软着陆方案。
And so we negotiated kind of the soft landing with IAC.
我就不细说所有那些波折了,但这对泛大西洋资本来说是个不错的结果。
I won't take you through all the trials and tribulations, but it was a good outcome for General Catalyst.
我以为我会回去加入大卫和乔尔。
I thought I was gonna go back and join David and Joel.
我知道他们是两个极其特别的人,他们一定会打造一个伟大的事业,但我已经被创业的激情深深吸引。
I knew they were two extraordinarily special human beings, and they were gonna build something really big, But I had kind of been bitten by the startup bug.
一位名叫贝jos·苏马亚的朋友,现在在印度和东南亚经营LightSpeed,他有一个想法,本质上就是‘Yelp出现之前的Yelp’。
A friend named Bejos Sumaya, who now runs LightSpeed in India, in Southeast Asia, had an idea, and it effectively was, think of Yelp pre Yelp.
于是,贝吉和我一起创办了这家公司。
And so Beige and I started this business.
我们靠自有资金运营,虽然收到了多家风投的条款清单,但出于各种原因,我们没有接受。
We bootstrapped it, had a bunch of venture capital term sheets for a variety of reasons, didn't take them.
几年后,我们将这家公司卖给了西雅图一家上市公司。
And we sold that business a couple years later to a public company in Seattle.
而在第一次交易中,你知道,我在NLG付出了巨大努力,我认为自己作为CEO并协助完成交易后,拿到了一百万美元——对于一个来自印第安纳州的穷孩子来说,这简直是改变命运的数字。
And again, in the first transaction, you know, I had worked really hard at NLG, and I think I walked away after being the CEO and helping put the deal together with a million dollars, which for a poor kid from Indiana, that was game changing.
但以今天的硅谷标准来看,人们可能会说:‘你真是个门外汉?’
But by Silicon Valley standards today, people would be like, know, you clueless?
为此付出了大量的努力。
There was a lot of work that went into that.
我和Beige共同创办的第二家公司,出售时我拥有40%的股份,收益是之前的四到五倍。
The second business I started with beige, I think I owned 40% of the business when we sold it, That was four or five x the outcome.
然后当我思考自己想做什么时,我有两个相互竞争的想法。
And then when I thought about what I wanted to do, I had two competing ideas.
一个是另一个运营型业务。
One was another operating business.
就像你是个创业者,总会冒出各种点子。
Like, if you're an entrepreneur, you have these ideas.
你得把这些想法从心里排出去。
You have to get them out of your craw.
但我真正觉得更适合我的,是投资。
But what I really thought that I was better suited for was investing.
让我明白这一点的人是里奇·巴顿。
And a person who made this clear to me was Rich Barton.
里奇有一天把我叫到一边,对我说:我觉得你不是一个出色的创业者。
Rich one day sat me down and he said, I don't think you're a great entrepreneur.
我说:‘里奇,这太伤人了。’
And I said, Rich, that's so insulting.
为什么?
Why?
尤其是里奇,他总是说:‘好吧,’
Especially from Rich, like the constant Well,
他说话很实在。
he keeps it real.
显然。
Apparently.
他说:‘创业是一门化可能为现实的艺术。’
And he said, Being an entrepreneur is the art of the possible.
对吧?
Right?
你必须凭意志力让事情成真。
You have to will things into existence.
他说,要不断思考哪些事情可能会出错。
And he said, constantly think about what can go wrong.
当你是一名企业家时,通常需要暂时搁置怀疑,只去思考哪些事情可能会成功。
When you're an entrepreneur, oftentimes, have to suspend disbelief and just think about what can go right.
他说,但作为投资者,投资者考虑的是概率分布,而不是可能性。
And he said, but as an investor, investors think about distribution of probabilities, not possibilities.
他还说,我一直以来都在观察你,像你作为律师的训练方式,你作为投资者的思维方式,你会成为一个出色的投资者。
And he's like, I've always kind of observed you, like your training as a lawyer, how you think as an investor, like you're going make a great investor.
于是我心想,你知道吗?
And so I was like, you know what?
他说得对。
He's right.
最好的投资商业模式是这种风险投资对冲基金的模式。
And the best investment business model is kind of this venture capital hedge fund business model.
我以为这个商业模式会经历大量颠覆。
I thought there was going to be a lot of disruption occur in that business model.
另外,当
Also, when
你说这个商业模式,这个风险资本对冲基金商业模式时,在你和现在其他几个人做之前,这根本不是一个商业模式。
you say this business model, this venture capital hedge fund business model, until what you and now several others have done, that was not a business model.
那是两种完全不同的业务。
That was two completely different types of businesses.
对。
Correct.
我稍后会谈到这一点。
I'll hit that in just a second.
但我想要创办一家公司,我说过,我认为我可以打造一个更好的这种模式版本。
But I wanted to start a business and I said, I will start I think I can build a better version of this model.
当时,如果你真的回溯时间,沃伦·巴菲特,对吧?
At the time, if you really rewind the clock, Warren Buffett, right?
我不知道是哪一年,大概是1955年他创办了他的对冲基金。
I don't know what year it was, 1955 when he started his hedge fund.
他同时投资公开市场和私人市场。
He did both publics and privates.
对吧?
Right?
他并没有加以区分。
He didn't distinguish.
他只是寻找优秀的企业投资。
He just sought out great investments.
在布拉德·格斯特纳出现之前,创立Par Capital的保罗·里德就一直在做私人投资。
Paul Reeder, who started Par Capital, was doing private investments before Brad Gerstner showed up.
塞思·克拉曼在鲍波斯特也早在我们发明‘跨界投资’这个术语之前就从事私人投资了。
Seth Klarman at Bowpost was doing private investments, you know, before we coined the term crossover.
对吧?
Right?
波士顿的大卫·阿布拉姆斯。
David Abrams in Boston.
所以我有很多我敬仰的传奇投资者,他们从不把世界划分为交叉投资,而是认为世界根本不存在‘我只能投资于Pre-IPO或Post-IPO公司’这种人为的限制。
So I had a lot of legendary investors I looked up to that they never thought of the world in crossover, but they thought the world, you know, there wasn't this artificial constraint that I can only invest if you're pre IPO or you're post IPO.
对他们来说,私人投资意味着什么?
What did private investments mean to them?
是像我们现在理解的那样,还是别的意思?
Did it mean what we think of or did it mean something else?
我觉得对他们而言,私人投资可能是购买汽车经销商、报纸或纺织公司,或者其他任何类型的公司。
Well, I would say for them, private investing was maybe buying auto dealerships or newspapers or textile companies or whatever the case may be.
正如你所知,在那个几十年里盛行的价值投资中,我的做法是找到一家拥有大量自由现金流的公司。
And as you know, in value investing, which was really the rage of that couple decades, was I'm going to find a company with a bunch of free cash flow.
然后我会用这些自由现金流去投资那些回报率更高的项目。
I'm going to use that free cash flow to go invest in things that actually have higher returning characteristics.
保罗投资了那家叫NLG的公司。
Paul invested in that first company, NLG.
他还担任了董事会成员。
He was on the board.
我们彼此相当了解。
We got to know each other quite well.
他看到我进行Priceline等公司的日内交易,觉得这很有趣,竟然有一位CEO同时也是投资者。
He saw me day trading in companies like Priceline, and he thought, this is interesting, a CEO who actually is also an investor.
所以我记得他对我说:‘你哪天应该来跟我一起工作。’
So I remember him saying to me, you ought to come work with me someday.
所以在我们卖掉OpenList公司后,我去找他,说:‘嘿,我想来跟你一起工作。’
And so after we sold that company open list, I showed up and I said, hey, I want to come work with you.
我可以负责公司的技术部分。
I can run the technology part of the business.
你并没有技术业务。
You don't have a technology business.
我会建立一个技术业务,涵盖公开市场和风投,好吗?
I'll build a technology business, both public and VC, Okay?
这与你历史上所做的事是一致的。
Which is consistent with historically what you've done.
我说,如果我喜欢这个生意,我会自己开一个,所以你不用付我工资。
And I said, If I like the business, I'm going to start my own, so you don't have to pay me.
让我当学徒吧。
Make me an apprentice.
我只希望我们每天一起吃午饭,你教我对冲基金的业务。
All I ask is that we have lunch together every day, and you teach me the hedge fund business.
是的。
Yeah.
那时候你已经赚了几百万美元了。
You'd made a, you know, couple million dollars at this point.
对。
Right.
对。
Right.
所以我的意思是,我并没有很多钱,但again,像
So I mean, I didn't have a lot of money, but again, like
他带你参与了那个项目吗?
And did he take you on that deal?
他说,哦,太好了。
He said, oh, great.
你可以在这里名义上工作,但我不会付你钱。
You can you can quote unquote work here with and I won't pay
你?
you?
你知道吗,有趣的是他确实说过让我当学徒。
You know, the funny thing is he did say kinda come apprentice.
是的。
Yeah.
我想我干了两周后,他说这太荒谬了。
And I think I was two weeks in, and he said, this is ridiculous.
你知道吗?
You know?
他说,好吧。
He said, okay.
我会付你钱。
I'm gonna pay you.
你得做这件事。
You're gonna do this.
我会说,在接下来的两年半里,这是我们最非凡的一段师徒历程。
And I will say it was one of the most extraordinary mentormentee journeys over the course of the next two and a half years.
他是个传奇。
He's a legend.
他没有得到应得的认可。
He doesn't get the credit he deserves.
他给了我自主权,在公开层面,让我投资我整个书单里的公司,比如谷歌和Priceline,还有几家优秀的企业。
And he gave me the autonomy to, on the public side, go invest in my entire book in Google and Priceline and a couple of great companies.
然后去进行一些风险投资,比如领投Zillow的B轮融资。
And then to go make some venture capital investments like leading the series be in Zillow.
我记得当时觉得这太简单了。
I remember at the time thinking this is so easy.
我对谷歌有着深深的信念,因此不需要持有一个高度分散的投资组合。
I had such deep conviction in Google and I didn't have to have this highly diversified book.
如果股价下跌,保罗就会走进办公室问:你觉得呢?
If it went down, Paul would come into the office and say, do you think?
我会说:再买一些。
I'd say, Buy more.
我要去练瑜伽了。
I'm heading to yoga.
对吧?
Right?
当时就是这样,但我们确实一起度过了非常美好的时光。
It was just like and, and so but we had a we we had a really great run together.
我之前没意识到,你领投Zillow的B轮融资时,是和保罗一起的,因为从那时起,你就长期担任Zillow的董事会成员。
I didn't realize that you that was with Paul when you led the series b in Zillow, because you you were a Zillow board member from that point on for quite a long time.
你离开保罗的公司并创立Altimeter之后,还继续以独立身份留在Zillow的董事会吗?
Did you stay on the board of Zillow sort of as an independent even after leaving Paul's firm and starting Altimeter?
我离开了董事会。
I I I left the board.
我不确定是不是正好同时发生的,但大概是那个时候。
I don't know if it was exactly contemporaneous to that, but about that time.
到2000年底,我的意思是,我从保罗身上学到了很多。
By the end of two thousand I mean, listen, I learned so much from Paul.
说正经的,投资组合管理、风险管理——保罗没用‘极简主义’这个词,但他围绕自己最看好的想法构建简洁、集中的投资组合,这一点我完全认同。也许我天生就倾向这种理念,但我们在如何管理投资组合上确实高度契合。
And all kidding aside, the idea of portfolio management, risk management Paul didn't call it essentialism, but running a simplified, concentrated portfolio around your best ideas was something that I absolutely I may have been constitutionally predisposed to believe that anyway, but we were just very symbiotic in our thinking about how to manage portfolios.
他始终给予我极大的支持,因此我在与他共度的那些充满挑战的时期里学到了很多。
He couldn't have been more supportive, and so I learned through some pretty heady times with him.
到了2007年底,我跟他说:我觉得我想自己干一番事业。
And then at the end of 2007, I, you know, kinda said to him, I I think I wanna do my own thing.
你当时是以对冲基金的身份领投了Zillow的B轮融资。
You led the series b in Zillow as a crossover hedge fund.
交叉投资这个概念,正如你所说,不仅存在于科技和其他领域,也存在于科技领域,比如TCV和其他机构。
The idea of crossover, you know, existed as you said in in not necessarily in tech and other, you know, domains, but also in tech with TCV and and others.
他们并没有在那些公司中领投B轮融资,那些公司
They were not leading series b's in companies that that that
当时那个B轮融资是多少?
was series b at that point in time is what?
10.15亿美元?
$1,015,000,000 dollars?
我的意思是,这可不是五千万或一亿美元。
I mean, it's not a 50 or a 100.
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
That's right.
我想我在回忆当时的投资金额。
I think I'm trying to think the the check size.
如果我没记错的话,我们可能投了两千万到三千万美元,当时公司的估值是几亿美元。
We may have put in 20 to $30,000,000, if I recall, it was a couple $100,000,000 valuation.
听听他的背景,另一位元老级人物杰伊·霍格,他是TCV的创始人,在我加入Zillow之前就已经投资了Zillow。
Listen to his credit, and another OG, Jay Hoag, who started TCV, was already in Zillow by the time I came into Zillow.
对吧?
Right?
是跟Benchmark一起进入A轮的吗?
Came in in the A with Benchmark?
是的。
Yeah.
也许这是术语的问题。
Maybe it's the nomenclature.
我不确定是否一个是C轮、一个是A轮、一个是B轮,但这些确实是前三轮机构资本。
Don't know if one was a C and an A and a B, but those were the first three rounds of institutional capital.
杰伊和里奇在Expedia时期就认识。
And Jay had a relationship with Rich from his days at Expedia.
是的。
Yep.
我显然和里奇有关系。
I obviously had a relationship with Rich.
我们知道他是一位非凡的创业者。
We knew he was a special entrepreneur.
我也认识比尔。
I knew Bill as well.
所以,这是一个宏大的构想。
And so, it was a big idea.
这是由里奇和劳埃德领导的一群来自Expedia的杰出人才。
It was a special collection of people out of Expedia led by Rich and Lloyd.
但我记得当时曾和杰伊讨论过技术交叉投资。
But I remember at the time talking to Jay about technology crossover ventures.
他是做交叉投资的最佳人选。
Are the guy to do crossover.
我记得当时坐下来想,这就是成功的模式。
And I remember sitting down saying, that's the winning model.
这确实是成功的模式。
That's really the winning model.
当时我带着更清晰的想法来看待公共资本池和风险资本池。
Now, I was coming at it with a more, I think, clear idea of public pool of capital and venture pool of capital.
TCV 已经演变成一家更偏向后期阶段的风险投资公司,持有某些公开持股,但本身并不是对冲基金。
TCV had evolved into almost more of a later stage venture firm, right, that held some public positions but didn't have a hedge fund per se.
所以我认为我的观点略有不同,但该给的肯定还是要给,他们对世界走向的远见超前于时代。
So I think I had a slightly different view, but credit where credit is due, their vision for where the world was going was was ahead of their time.
好的。
Okay.
所以那是2008年。
So it's 2008.
2007年,2008年。
2007, 2008.
你告诉保罗你要离开。
You tell Paul you're gonna Yeah.
自立门户。
Go out on your own.
你一直在这个时间点上做得很好。
You just keep nailing this time.
是的。
Yeah.
你就只是说,真的吗?
You're just like, really?
你真的在想
You're really thinking
整个世界都在快速前进。
The whole world's going go go.
以防它突然崩塌
And just in case it I falls away
真希望我能做得这么好。
wish I was nailing it.
我在2007年底结的婚。
I got married at the end of 'seven.
我们于2008年6月3日迎来了第一个孩子。
We had our first child on 06/03/2008.
记得吗?2007年8月,世界的裂缝就已经显现了。
Remember, the world cracks were shown in August 2007.
每当你看这些股票图表时,它们看起来似乎很稳定,但天哪,那些失眠的夜晚实在太多了。
Whenever you look at these stock graphs, they look at it like they're generally stable, but man, the number of days of lost sleep.
但我记得我对米歇尔说:我们那时候没多少钱。
But I remember saying to Michelle, We didn't have that much money.
我们住在波士顿一个几千平方英尺的地下公寓里。
We were living in a few thousand square foot subterranean apartment in Boston.
我们正迎来第一个孩子,而到2008年,世界显然变得越来越艰难,我当时就说:我想自己创办一家公司。
We were having our first child, and it was clear the world was getting tougher by the 2008, I said, I think I'm going to start my own firm.
我要告诉保罗。
I'm going to tell Paul.
让我们说说看,2008年9月、10月你正在哺乳婴儿的时候,电视上播着CNBC,你只想找个垃圾桶吐出来,而我却在一分不名的情况下启动了事业。
And let's just say that when you're nursing a baby in September 2008, October 2008, I have CNBC on, it's like you just want to find the wastebasket to get sick in, and I'm launching with no money.
因为你当时有很多承诺,但都泡汤了。
Because you had a bunch of commitments and they dried up.
对。
Right.
所以到了2007年底,业绩记录一直不错。
So at the end of 'seven, the track record had been good.
于是我联系了一些大学捐赠基金和基金会。
So I talked to some university endowments, foundations.
但我对这个领域完全一无所知。
Now, I didn't know this world at all.
我对有限合伙人(LP)的世界也完全不了解。
I didn't know the world of LPs at all.
但我找了几个人,他们说,嘿。
But I talked to a few people, and they're like, hey.
我们会给你一些钱。
We'll give you some money.
所以我以为我起步时能有两亿美元。
And so I thought I was gonna launch with 100 to $200,000,000.
但到了2008年9月、10月,很明显,人们觉得金融世界可能就此终结了。
But it was clear by September, October 2008, people thought the financial world might be over forever.
现在很难了。
It's hard Now
这已经是一个不错的世纪了。
It's been a good century or two.
现在很难再设身处地地回想当时的情景了,但当你想到,人们当时觉得雷曼、摩根士丹利、高盛都会崩盘。
Hard it's hard now to, like, put ourselves back in those shoes, but when when you think, like, people thought Lehman, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs were all going to collapse.
对吧?
Right?
而且没人知道这种危机的传染效应。
And nobody knew the contagion effects of that.
没人知道这对美元的影响。
Nobody knew the impact on the dollar.
没人知道这会造成什么后果。
Nobody knew the impact.
当时人们以为这将是一场极其严重的经济萧条。
The thought was it was going to be a very deep depression.
所以,试着站在创始人的角度去想,这很有趣。
And so it's interesting just to put in the mind of the founder.
人们对我说:‘你选了个绝佳的时机来创业。’
People say to me, oh, you picked a really great time to launch.
对吧?
Okay?
我可以向你保证
I can assure you
我当时说那话,是带着讽刺的。
I was saying it, no, sarcastically.
是的。
Yeah.
事实上,我的一位顾问就是管理着一家大型对冲基金的人。
Mean, it was, in fact, one of my advisors who runs a big hedge fund.
对你来说,什么是大型对冲基金?
What's a big hedge fund to you?
哦,他曾经管理着一家数十亿美元的对冲基金。我当时只是有一个非正式的顾问小组,他说:你犯了个大错。
Oh, he ran a multibillion dollar hedge fund at And the I just had an informal group of advisers, and he said, you've made a huge mistake.
回去找保罗,看看他会不会让你回去上班。
Go back to Paul and see if he'll give you your job back.
哇哦。
Woah.
别这么做。
And don't do this.
对吧?
Right?
因为我以一种非常谦逊的方式安排了我的生活,所以我并不需要钱。
And because I had organized my life in a really humble way, I didn't need money.
我还创办了几家其他公司,当我创办它们时,基本上都是从零开始。
And I had started a few other companies, and when I started them, I started them basically from scratch.
我知道那种感觉。
I knew what it felt like.
我知道那种感觉,那种创始人在第一天的感觉。
I knew that feeling, that founder feeling on day one.
那既令人兴奋又令人恐惧。
It was both exciting and terrifying.
我当时想,这事我拿得下。
And I was like, I got this.
马已经跑出马厩了。
The horse has left the barn.
我正在做这件事。
I'm doing this.
要说明的是,保罗也说:你行的。
And to Paul's credit, Paul was like, You got this.
他当初在1991年SNL危机期间,仅用不到300万美元起步;而我有明确的路线图,有信任我的导师,有清晰的目标,并且我知道我会长期坚持下去。
And he had started par with less than $3,000,000 in the SNL crisis in 1991, and I had a roadmap, and I had a mentor who believed, and I had a clear vision as to where I was going to go, and I knew I was going to do it for a really long time.
你当时也有大约300万美元,是吧。
And you also had about $3,000,000 if Yeah.
我们的研究是
Our research was
我在第一天就找到了投资者,虽然不想点名,但保罗就是其中之一。
I had I think on my day one investors, not to out them, but Paul was one of them.
我哥哥也是其中之一。
My brother was one of them.
现在,我大哥比我大十五岁左右。
Now, my brother my oldest brother is about fifteen years older than me.
顺便说一下,他是个建筑师。
The side note is he's an architect.
他一辈子省吃俭用,攒了一百万美元。
He had saved his entire life a million bucks.
不知道干了多少年,大概十五年吧,才攒到一百万美元左右。
Like, worked I don't know how many years, fifteen years to save a million bucks or something.
然后他把所有钱都投进了一个对冲基金。
And he invested it all in a hedge fund.
我不知道为什么我笑了。
I don't know why I laugh.
他把钱投到了洛杉矶的一个对冲基金,结果那家伙偷走了他所有的两亿美元。
Put it in a hedge fund in LA, and the guy stole all 200,000,000 of this money that he had.
所以我哥哥真的是辛辛苦苦干了十五年。
So my brother literally worked fifteen years.
天哪。
Oh, my god.
他一生的积蓄化为乌有。
His life savings went down the drain.
他东拼西凑又弄了五十万美元,说要把这些钱交给你去投资。
He scrambled together another half million bucks, and he said, I'm giving it to you to invest.
你当时是不是觉得
Were you like
别有这种想法。
don't have this.
所以你瞧,我不确定我能不能接下这个任务。
So you're I don't know if I can take this.
我记得我们当时在洛杉矶徒步,他说,我知道你一定能做好。
And I remember we were on a hike in LA, and he said, I know you're gonna do great with it.
我说,听好了,我向你保证。
And I said, Well, here's the thing I promise you.
我可能会把钱全亏掉,但我绝不会去偷。
I may lose it all naturally, but I won't steal it.
他说:‘我知道你住哪儿,你要是偷了,我找得到你。’
He's like, I know where you live if you steal it.
我很高兴地说,不到十年后,他退休了,一切对他来说都特别顺利。
And I can happily say less than a decade later, he was retired, and it had worked out fabulous for him.
你们家怎么这么爱冒险?
What is it with your family and risk?
对吧?
Right?
比如你,你知道的,几乎破产了,不是你,但你爸、你兄弟都经历过。
Like, you, like, gone you know, essentially gone bankrupt, you know, a couple not you, but, you know, your dad, your brother.
关键是
The thing with
我们家人之间关系非常亲密。
our family is we're incredibly close.
我们互相支持,包括我父亲在内。
We support each other, even including my father.
他很有名。
He was famous.
他愿意为你倾其所有。
He would have given you the shirt off his back.
而且知道你有这样的人,所以再次强调,我不想把这描绘得过于英雄化。
And to know that you have those folks And so again, I don't want to make it seem overly heroic.
我们起步时资金非常少。
We launched with very little money.
我做的第一笔交易是
The first trade I placed was
这是Altimeter
This is Altimeter
只是为了在家做一些测试。
just for some at home.
我们在2008年11月1日上线。
We launched on 11/01/2008.
我做的第一笔交易是以每股42美元买入Priceline。
The first trade I made was into Priceline at $42 a share.
这后来在收购了Booking之后变成了Booking,当然,它后来又收购了Booking。
Which, of course, became Booking after it later bought Booking and Booking
2004年、2005年的时候收购了Booking,但你知道,那个42美元……
bought Booking in 2004, 2005, but, you know, that 42
当时人们可能还没意识到这会成为一个如此庞大的企业。
People probably didn't recognize yet what a monster that was.
每股42美元。
$42 a share.
当股价涨到每股2000美元时,我仍然持有它。
I still owned it when it hit $2,000 a share.
我在哥伦比亚商学院教过一门课,讲的是格雷厄姆和多德的证券分析,探讨人们错过了什么,以及我们当时看到了什么。
And teach a class at Columbia Business School on it and, you know, securities analysis class on Graham and Dodd class kind of like, what did people miss and what, you know, what did we see?
但无论如何,你知道,那就是起点。
But at any rate, you know, that was the start.
我要说,当我们启动时,我想去硅谷,但我当时在波士顿,因为我没钱。
I will say that when we launched, I wanted to be in Silicon Valley, but I was in Boston because I had no dough.
当时,那些投资于集合基金的人——记得吧,到2007年底,人人都开始把私募投资放进公开基金里。
And at the time, people who had invested in commingled funds because remember, by the end of 'seven, everybody was starting to put privates in their public vehicles.
对吧?
Right?
我记得,比如,Legg Mason的比尔·米勒在2006年或2007年投资了Zillow,然后在2008年把所有股份又卖回给了公司,因为当时人人都在撤出私募头寸。
I remember, for example, that Bill Miller of Legg Mason famously invested in Zillow in 2006 or 2007, and then in 2008 sold all those shares back to the company because everybody was unwinding their private positions.
所以当有限合伙人发现他们在2008年流动性严重不足时,
So when LPs found themselves overly illiquid in 2008
我知道这是做跨市场投资的错误方式。
I know that is how not to do crossover.
到了2008年,他们就说:我们不想在公开基金里持有私募资产。
By 2008, they were like, we do not want privates in public funds.
对吧?
Right?
所以我有这个愿景,但当时并不清楚该如何执行,因为人们真的认为——交叉基金、合并基金、公私混合基金这些概念。
So I had the vision, but it wasn't clear how that was going to be executed because people really you know, crossover fund, commingled fund, public private fund.
在2008年,这些说法都是糟糕的,你知道的。
That was a bad you know, those were bad phrases in in the 2008.
为什么到2007年,人们开始把这些私营公司加入对冲基金的投资组合?
Why was it by 2007 that people had started adding these private companies to hedge fund portfolios?
我大概在2004年、2005年就有了这个观察,是的。
So the observation I had probably in 2004, 2005 Yeah.
我当时的想法是,我受过证券律师的训练。
Was and I was a securities lawyer by training.
我曾参与过许多首次公开募股的工作。
I had done a worked around a bunch of IPOs.
也许这有所帮助,但我意识到,私人市场正变得越来越深入、越来越有流动性。
Maybe that helped, but I was like, companies, the private markets are becoming way deeper, way more liquid.
公司会更快地扩张,因为互联网为它们提供了可扩展的网络基础;同时,它们会更长时间保持私有状态,因为私人资本的池子更深了,而且2000年之后,我们让它们上市变得更加困难。
Companies are going to scale faster because the internet provides a network upon which they can scale, and they're going to stay private longer because there are deeper pools of private capital, and we've made it more difficult for them to go public post 2000.
好的?
Okay?
而且2008年之后当然更是如此。
And then certainly post 2008.
没错。
Correct.
TCV当时就在那里。
TCV was there.
蔡斯已经创办了老虎基金。
Chase had started Tiger.
菲利普已经创办了CO2。
Philippe had started CO2.
所以我们开始看到一些对冲基金非常聪明地,我认为,开始涉足私人投资,我觉得我想在硅谷打造一个由创始人建立的全球顶尖的跨界基金。
So we started to see examples of hedge funds that were really smartly, I think, starting to do some private investing, and I thought, I want to build the best crossover fund in the world that's based in Silicon Valley, built by a founder.
我觉得这就是我的独特优势,对吧?
And I thought that was my differentiator, right?
我拥有硅谷的人脉网络。
That I had a network in Silicon Valley.
大多数其他对冲基金都在纽约或波士顿。
Most of the other hedge funds were in New York or Boston.
它们中的大多数是股票选股者,而不是创始人。
Most of them were stock pickers, not founders.
因此我认为,我可以以一种更具同理心、更贴近创始人的方式来做这件事,就像真正的风险投资那样,但又能一直扩展到公开市场。
And so I thought, I can do this in a way that's really more empathetic and more closely aligned with founders, like true venture, but they could scale all the way into the public markets.
2008年时项目被推迟了,因为当时没人想要集合基金。
So it was delayed in 2008 because nobody wanted commingled funds.
但到2010年,我们终于启动了,我们在2008、2009和2010年已经有了一个很好的开端。
But by 2010, we got off, we had a great start in 2008, 2009, 2010.
到2010年,人们开始说:好吧,现在我们可以让你去实现你的愿景了。
And by 2010, people were like, okay, now we'll let you start to undertake your vision.
因此在2011年,我们开始组建第一个专门的资本池。
And so 2011, we started putting together the first dedicated pool of capital.
2012年,我搬到了硅谷。
2012, I moved to Silicon Valley.
那个专门的资本池
And that first dedicated pool of capital
专门用于风险投资,而不是单一的
Dedicated for venture investing versus So the single
我们有一个公开的资本池,本质上是做科技股的多空策略。
we had a public pool of capital, which was long short technology effectively.
我们还因大量投资旅游相关领域而广为人知。
We also became pretty well known for doing a lot of travel related investments.
但在那个资本池中,我们也能进行一定量的私人投资。
But in that pool of capital, we could also do a certain amount of private investing.
但我们意识到,对于所看到的风险和成长型机会,我们需要一个期限更长的资本池。
But we realized that for venture and growth opportunities that we saw, we needed a longer duration pool of capital.
这个策略很有道理,历史也显然证明了这一点。
The strategy makes sense, and history has obviously shown that.
但是怎么才能做到呢,
But how do yeah.
你们是如何权衡的呢?
How do you trade off?
比如,如果你在管理一个公开投资组合,你可能希望基本保持满仓状态。
Like, if you're running a public book, you probably wanna be pretty close to fully invested.
而对于私募投资,你需要保留现金储备。
For privates, you need dry powder.
嗯,
Mhmm.
你们是怎么解决这个问题的?
How did you solve that?
是通过设立这些专项基金来实现的吗?
Is that by raising these dedicated pools?
就像任何创业者或创始人一样,你必须看到某些市场变化,从而为新进入者创造机会。
Like any entrepreneur founder, right, you have to see some market changes that give an opening for a new entrant.
因为现有企业拥有优势。
Because the incumbents have advantages.
我相信,我提到的那三件事——IPO变得更难、公司扩张更快、私人资本池更深——但我也相信,这将推动风险投资的工业化,对吧?
I believed that the very nature, the three things that I mentioned, IPO is harder to do, companies scaling faster, deeper private pools of capital, But I also believe that that was going to lead to the industrialization of venture, right?
赢家的形态将与上一代不同,而这个行业才刚刚发展了一两代而已。
That this thing the winners were gonna look different than the previous generation, and this was an industry that was only a generation or two old.
风险投资。
Venture capital.
风险投资。
Venture capital.
是的。
Yeah.
因此,我们需要一个长期限的资本池。
And so we needed a long duration pool of capital.
我们需要一款适合我们的公开市场投资者的产品,所以我们募集了第一笔资本。
We needed a product that suited our public market investors, so we raised that first pool of capital.
当我筹集资金时,自然会有一些怀疑。
Now, when I raised it, there was the requisite level of skepticism.
比如,你觉得自己怎么跟红杉竞争?
Like, how do you think you're going to compete with Sequoia?
你打算怎么跟克莱纳竞争?
How are you going to compete with Kleiner?
你打算怎么竞争?
How are you going to compete?
我们明确表示,我认为从第一次机构融资开始的创业历程,与我们原本的计划是不同的。
And we made very clear that I thought that the business building journey that started in that first institutional raise was different than what we intended to do.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
比如,我作为创始人,筹集了大量资金,涉及三家不同的公司。
Like, I raised a lot of money, three different companies, right, as a founder.
所以
So
如果每家公司要融资两到三次,甚至更多,而且你得接触大约30家风投机构才能拿到一份投资条款清单。
Which if if it's two or three raises per company or more and think 30 firms you talked to to to get one term sheet.
比如,你当时认识了数百家风投机构。
Like, you knew hundreds of venture firms at
到那时为止。
this point.
而且和那些曾经一起赚过钱的人建立了深厚的关系。
And and had deep relationships with people who we had made money together.
所以我猜,你当时回答‘你怎么跟红杉竞争’这个问题时,答案是:我们不竞争。
So I assume your answer to that question of how you're gonna compete with Sequoia at that moment in time was we're not.
我们不竞争。
We're not.
明白了。
Okay.
所以记住这些德高望重的早期阶段公司,比如迈克·斯派瑟、吉姆·怀特,还有萨特山公司的团队,以及我在Benchmark和Sequoia的朋友。
So remember just these venerable early stage firms, you know, Mike Spicer and and Jim White and the team over at Sutter Hill and my friends at Benchmark and friends at Sequoia.
有趣的是,我记得2009年3月,在亚利桑那州的艾伦公司会议上。
Interestingly enough, Andreessen, I remember March 2009, Allen and Company conference, Arizona.
他们正在为第一支基金做准备。
They're getting ready for fund one.
对吧?
Right?
所以市场不是在2008年触底,而是在2009年3月9日。
So the market bottomed, not in 2008, on 03/09/2009.
我们当时都在艾伦公司
And we were all at the Allen and
的会议上。
Company conference.
这是在他们投资Skype之前还是之后?
Was this before or after they did Skype?
这要早得多。
This was well before.
是的。
Yeah.
我记得当时坐在一张桌子旁,手里拿着我的小小融资演示文稿,抬头看到旁边桌坐的是马克和本,他们也拿着自己的演示文稿。
And I remember sitting at a table with my little pitch deck, and I looked at a table next to me, and it was Mark and Ben with their pitch deck.
可以说,他们的成长速度要快得多。
And let's just say they scaled much, much faster.
但没错,我们当时确实在同一个场合。
And but, yeah, we were both there at the same time.
你知道,他们有一个远见,那就是对风险投资行业工业化的一种卓越构想,他们如何改变风险投资,而他们确实做得极其出色。
You know, they had a vision, which was a brilliant vision for the industrialization of venture, for how they were going to change venture and they've done it extraordinarily well.
如果快进到今天,你们两家公司的规模大致相当。
When fast forward to today, your two firms are about roughly same, equal order of magnitude.
管理资产规模可能处于相似水平,但两家公司非常不同。
AUM may be in a similar territory, but the firms are very different.
我们稍后再谈这个。
We can get to that in a little bit.
但他们已经做到了
But they've done
短期。
short term.
见30个人。
See 30 people.
那是非常不同的
That that is a very different
是的。
Yeah.
30人对比350人。
30 versus 350.
今天是公司全员外勤活动。
And today's a full company off-site.
对吧?
Right?
所以
So
但我们是在2012年首次筹集了这一轮资金。
But we raised that first pool in 2012.
当时基本上就是大家凑钱。
It was basically passing the hat.
我们为我们的有限合伙人赚了不少钱。
We had made good money for our LPs.
在桌边轮流筹款。
Passed the hat around the table.
我是那支基金最大的有限合伙人,远超其他人,因为我希望把它做到一亿美元以上。
I was the biggest LP in that fund by a long shot because I wanted to get it, you know, upwards of a $100,000,000.
但第一支基金,我记得我做了六个投资。
But that first fund, I think I had six investments.
那个基金,我觉得我们不太可能获得回报。
And that fund, I I I don't think we will possibly have a return profile.
那个基金,它绝对是回报最好的基金之一。
I that fund, it definitely is is up there in terms of in terms of great returning funds.
当你领投Snowflake轮时,你还记得当时的股价是多少吗?
When you led the Snowflake round, do you remember what the share price was?
我不记得确切的股价了。
I don't remember what the exact share price was.
我觉得当时的企业估值大约在1.75亿美元左右。
I think the enterprise value at the time was somewhere around a $175,000,000.
好的。
Okay.
那是2012年。
So that was 2012.
基金是2000年设立的,但投资时间是2012年、2013年,我想。
Well, the fund was 2000 and vintage, 2012, 2013, I think.
我不确定Snowflake那轮投资是什么时候,是的。
I'm not sure when that first round of Snowflake Yeah.
可能是十三年或十四年。
There might have been thirteen, fourteen.
对。
Yeah.
但在那个时刻,你是否有一些别人没有的洞察,还是只是时机正好?
But that moment in time, did you have some insight that you felt nobody else had at that moment, or was it the right time?
比如,如何
Like, how
有几件事。
A few things.
第一,我对自己是个不错的投资者很有信心。
Number one, I did have confidence that I was a decent investor.
对吧?
Right?
所以我们付出了巨大的努力。
So we worked really hard.
我们是蓝领阶层。
We're blue collar.
实现战略的方式有很多种。
There are different ways to prosecute the strategy.
我认为有些人主要在社交酒会上活动,而我们则像人类学家一样,深入研究事物的发展趋势和哪些领域会崛起。
I think there are some people who work the cocktail circuit, and we really were students of we're anthropologists about where things were going and what was going to be big.
当时,人们对云计算普遍持悲观态度。
And at the time, there was a lot of pessimism, frankly, about cloud computing.
Salesforce 曾有几个季度的增长放缓超过了人们的预期,确实遇到了不少障碍。
Salesforce had some quarters where they saw more deceleration than people thought, and there were really kind of these obstacles.
其中一个障碍是云计算的计算成本与数据中心成本的对比。
One was the cost of compute in the cloud versus the cost in a data center.
但最大的障碍是这种观念:我永远不会把客户的数据放在云上。
But the big one was this perception that, like, I'll never put my customers' data in the cloud.
对吧?
Right?
这确实是个安全问题。
It was really a security issue.
那我们来回顾一下历史吧。
Which then, like, let's just review history.
那些认为自己不是科技公司、不需要维护本地数据中心的企业,很多都遭到了黑客攻击,客户数据被泄露。
Like, everyone that decided that was not a tech company that they needed to maintain an on prem data center got hacked and leaked customer data or lots of them.
而所有转向云端的人,你想想,我们真的能信任微软和亚马逊吗?
And everyone who shifted to the cloud, you know, oh, do we really trust Microsoft and Amazon?
他们在安全方面做得相当不错。
They're pretty good at that.
这是一个非常明智的决定。
That was a great decision.
有成千上万的人专注于安全,而你的数据中心可能只有两名顾问。
Thousands of people working on security versus your data center that had two consultants.
但那确实是索尼被黑的事件,你还记得吧。
And but it was really the Sony hack, you remember that.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
哦,
Oh,
索尼董事会被黑的事件,我记得好像是科林·鲍威尔的邮箱被入侵了。
The the Sony board hack where I think it was Colin Powell, if memory serves me correct, his email was hacked.
在他的邮件里,有Salesforce并购活动的目标名单。
And in his email was the target list for Salesforce's M and A activity.
哇哦。
Woah.
泄露出来的内容太多了。
There was so much that came out
所以就像那样
that And so like that
所有关于Snapchat的事情。
All the Snapchat stuff.
所有的
All the
所有被泄露的内容。
all the stuff that got leaked.
所以,如果你是董事会成员或首席执行官,你会立刻想:如果我的邮箱被黑了怎么办?
And so if you were a board member or you were a CEO, you immediately said, what if my email was hacked?
那真是一个改变游戏规则的时刻。
And that was like a game changing moment.
但对我来说,我们所有云服务都如此。
But I would say for us, we had For all of cloud.
就像Excel一样。
To like Excel.
关于云服务。
For of cloud.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。