本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我在欧洲待过很长时间,那里的晚餐通常持续三小时,甚至三个半小时。
I've spent a lot of time in in in Europe and the dinners are about three hours, maybe three and a half hours long.
一段习得的经历。
An acquired episode.
是啊。
Yeah.
而这正是整个
And that's the whole
关键在于社交联系不是交易性的。
point is that social connection is not something that's transaction.
它是流动的。
It's fluid.
是有趣的。
It's fun.
充满乐趣的。
It's playful.
所以理想状态是,人们晚餐后容光焕发、面带笑容地离开,而不是像那种带有议程的刻板正式晚宴。
And and so the idea is people are coming out beaming, smiling after dinner as opposed to, you know, this sort of rigid structure of a typical dinner with an agenda.
没有议程。
There is no agenda.
没错。
Yeah.
没有议程。
No agenda.
我没有议程。
I don't have the agenda.
议程就是大家聚在一起。
The agenda is to come together.
直说吧。
Say it straight.
另一个故事即将开始。
Another story on the way.
谁掌握了真相?
Who got the truth?
欢迎收听《Acquired》第11季第5集,本播客讲述伟大科技公司及其背后的故事与策略。
Welcome to season 11 episode five of Acquired, the podcast about great technology companies and the stories and playbooks behind them.
我是本·吉尔伯特,西雅图Pioneer Square Labs联合创始人兼董事总经理,同时也是我们风投基金PSL Ventures的管理者。
I'm Ben Gilbert, and I am the cofounder and managing director of Seattle based Pioneer Square Labs and our venture fund, PSL Ventures.
我是大卫·罗斯坦,旧金山天使投资人,本期节目正是在此录制。
And I'm David Rosenthal, and I'm an angel investor based in San Francisco, where we were for this very episode.
确实如此。
Indeed.
我们是本期主持人。
And we are your hosts.
上期节目中,我们讲述了标杆资本(Benchmark)长达四小时的故事——这家传奇风投机构在同行规模激增时始终保持精干。
Last episode, we told the four hour story of Benchmark, the legendary venture capital firm that stayed small while all their competitors ballooned in size.
节目尾声提到,他们的合伙人会议结束后设有晚宴环节,五位平级合伙人会进行开放式讨论,有时还会特邀嘉宾出席。
At the end of the episode, we mentioned that their partner meeting had this dinner at the end of it, where the five equal partners of Benchmark sit down for an open ended discussion, sometimes with a special guest.
我们在上一期节目中与Benchmark的合伙人讨论了这个问题,他们邀请我们作为嘉宾参加其中一场晚宴。
Well, we were talking with the Benchmark partners about that last episode, they invited us to be their guest for one of these dinners.
并且有史以来第一次进行录制,甚至是视频录制。
And for the first time ever, record it, even on video.
所以我们非常激动能与大家分享这一切。
So we are so pumped to share this with all of you.
我们向他们提出了许多关于未来的开放性问题:如何平衡消费者投资与B2B投资组合,如何确保发现下一个改变世界的公司,以及继承顶级风投公司后拼命避免搞砸的压力。
We got to ask them about a lot of the open questions we had about the future of balancing those out there consumer investments with their b to b portfolio, how they think about making sure that they see that next world changing company, the pressure of inheriting a top venture firm and trying desperately not to mess it up.
当然,David,其中还包括一些来自投资组合公司的精彩商战故事。
And, of course, there's some good war stories from the portfolio companies in there too, David.
确实如此。
Indeed.
确实如此。
Indeed.
Bet,这期节目在多个方面都非常特别。
Bet, this was such a special episode on so many fronts.
这是迄今为止《Acquired》节目中嘉宾人数最多的一期。
This is by far is a record on an acquired episode for a number of guests that we have concurrently.
哦,我们同时运行了七个麦克风。
Oh, we had seven microphones running.
我们不得不为这期节目购买了价值约5000美元的设备。
We had to buy, like, $5,000 worth of gear just for this episode.
不过我认为这是值得的。
I think it was worth it though.
下次调整音频电平时,我得考虑到我们会爆发出狂笑的情况,因为刚才实在太欢乐了,你们收听时肯定会听到这些笑声。
Next time, I need to account for the fact that there will be, violent laughter when I'm setting the audio levels because we just had a blast, and you'll definitely hear it when you listen.
好了,各位听众。
Okay, listeners.
现在正是向大家介绍节目新朋友的绝佳时机,克劳德,你们很多人应该都熟悉它。
Now is a great time to introduce a new friend of the show who many of you will be familiar with, Claude.
克劳德是由Anthropic打造的人工智能助手,它迅速成为我们制作《Acquired》节目的重要工具,也是全球数百万用户和企业的首选AI。
Claude is an AI assistant built by Anthropic, and it's quickly become an essential tool for us in creating Acquired and the go to AI for millions of people and businesses around the world.
没错。
Yep.
我们很期待这次合作,因为克劳德正代表着我们《Acquired》最热衷报道的那种颠覆性技术进步。
We're excited to be partnering with them because Claude represents exactly the kind of step change technology that we love covering here at Acquired.
这是一个强大的工具,从根本上改变了人们的工作方式。
It's a powerful tool that fundamentally changes how people work.
我知道,本,你最近在处理一些Acquired工作时使用了Claude。
I know, Ben, you have used Claude for some Acquired work recently.
是的。
Yes.
所以听众们,过去我总要在录制前一天花四个多小时,把所有日期从原始笔记整理成表格,放在脚本顶部供录制日使用。
So listeners, I used to take four plus hours the day before recording to take all the dates for my raw notes and put them in a table at the top of my script for recording day.
在Rolex那期节目中,我直接把原始笔记输入Claude,让它帮我完成这个工作,效果简直不可思议。
On the Rolex episode, I actually fed my raw notes into Claude and asked it if it could do that for me, which was amazing.
我只用了大约二十秒,就完成了那期节目最重要的100个日期整理。
I just got my most important 100 dates for the episode done in, like, twenty seconds.
你发信息让我来这张桌子。
You texted me to this table.
太棒了。
It was awesome.
是啊。
Yeah.
这样我就多出了半天时间,转而专注于讲解机械表的工作原理,我很高兴能花时间做这件事而不是做桌子。
That freed up an extra half day that I used instead to focus on explaining how a mechanical watch works, which I'm so glad I got to spend the time doing that instead of making the table.
完全同意。
Totally.
真酷。
So cool.
其实我刚才还在和Claude聊天,为今年夏天晚些时候你我正在筹备的一个大项目集思广益,它帮了大忙。
I was actually just chatting with Claude to brainstorm ideas for something big that you and I are working on for later this summer, and it was insanely helpful.
听众朋友们,敬请期待后续详情。
Listeners, stay tuned to hear all about that.
没错。
Yes.
所以听众们,将Claude作为你的个人或商业AI助手,你将与优秀为伍。
So listeners, by using Claude as your personal or business AI assistant, you'll be in great company.
像Salesforce、Figma、GitLab、Intercom和Coinbase这样的组织都在他们的产品中使用Claude。
Organizations like Salesforce, Figma, GitLab, Intercom, and Coinbase all use Claude in their products.
无论你是独自头脑风暴,还是与数千人的团队协作,Claude都能提供帮助。
So whether you are brainstorming alone or you're building with a team of thousands, Claude is here to help.
如果你、你的公司或投资组合公司想使用Claude,请前往claude.com。
And if you, your company, or your portfolio companies wanna use Claude, head on over to claude.com.
网址是claude.com,或者点击节目备注中的链接。
That's claude.com, or click the link in the show notes.
对了,我们的周边商店有更新。
Well, we have an update to the merch store.
我们收到了很多相关请求。
We got many requests about this.
天哪。
Gosh.
为什么没有老爹帽呢?
Why isn't there a dad hat?
于是我们联系了Cotton Bureau的好伙伴,经过一番讨价还价——因为我想要一顶真正高品质的帽子。
Well, we called up the good folks at Cotton Bureau, and we did some horse trading because I wanted a really good one.
懂吧?
You know?
我想要那种刺绣工艺、手感舒适的款式。
I wanted one that was embroidered, that felt nice.
所以在接下来几周,将限量发售正面绣有ACQ字样的老爹帽。
So for the next couple weeks, there'll be a limited edition dad hat embroidered with ACQ right there on the front.
快去acquired.fm/store抢购,售完即止。
So get them before they're gone at acquired.fm/store.
好了。
Alright.
加入Slack。
Join the Slack.
访问Acquired.fm/slack。
Acquired.fm/slack.
最近LP节目非常火爆。
The LP show has been on fire recently.
对于各位LP会员,我们刚刚发布了一期关于B2B公司盈利增长策略的访谈,嘉宾是Mutiny的CEO兼联合创始人Jaleh Rezaei。
For those of you who are paying LPs out there, we just dropped an interview on the profitable growth playbook for b to b companies with Jaleh Rezaei, the CEO and cofounder of Mutiny.
该内容目前仅限LP会员观看,约一周后将公开推送。
That is live just for LPs right now for another week or so, and then it will hit the public feed.
您可以通过acquired.fm/lp成为LP会员,或在节目公开后通过搜索"LP节目"在您喜欢的播客平台收听。
So you can become a LP at acquired.fm/lp or get those episodes after they're made public by searching for the LP show in your favorite podcast player.
闲话少说,进入正题。
Now without further ado, on to the dinner.
听众请注意,本节目不构成投资建议。
And listeners, as always, this show is not investment advice.
我和David可能持有讨论公司的投资,本节目仅用于信息交流和娱乐目的。
David and I may have investments in the company we discuss, and, this show is for informational and entertainment purposes only.
好的。
Okay.
那么我们的第一个问题是:我们在这里做什么?
So our first question is what are we doing here?
我们到底在讨论什么?
Like what are we at?
彼得,感觉你是解释这个晚餐传统的最佳人选。
And Peter, it feels like you would be the best person to explain this dinner tradition.
为什么我们办公室里会有个餐厅?
Why do we have a dining room in the office?
在19楼。
On the 19th Floor.
当我加入Benchmark时,比尔和我对将新实践、新习惯和新理念引入公司充满乐观。
When I joined Benchmark, there was great optimism between Bill and me about injecting new practices, new habits, new ideas into the firm.
比尔刚读完本·富兰克林的传记。
And Bill had just read the Ben Franklin biography.
如果我没记错的话,本每周有四顿晚餐。
And Ben had four dinners, if I recall, a week.
但他们深入探讨了金融、化学和生命科学等领域。
But they were like going deep on finance, then on chemistry, then on life sciences.
他提出催化剂般的问题:为什么我们不举办晚宴呢?
He took the catalyst to say like, why aren't we doing dinners?
总之,我们进行了一个有趣的实验,决定尝试举办几场晚宴。
And anyway, we had this like playful experiment where we said, well, let's try a few of them.
然后在年底我们举办了一场盛大的晚宴,我记得大概是2007年,也可能是2006年。
Then we did a big dinner towards the end of the year and I think it was like 2007, maybe 2006.
2006年,那其实是我加入的第一年。
2006, it was actually my first year.
那真是太棒了,仿佛时间静止,我们意识到——只有合伙人们
And it was amazing, like time stood still and we realized like Just the partners
或者不,
or No,
我们有四位外部嘉宾,如果我没记错的话,分别是卡塔琳娜·费克、迈克·麦克休、吉迪恩·余和马丁·米科斯。
we had four outside guests, Katarina Fake, Mike McHugh, Gideon Yu, and Martin Mikos, if I'm not mistaken.
而且气氛非常热烈。
And it was electric.
之后我们开始围绕这个想法展开讨论。
And we came out of that, we danced with this idea.
因此我得出的概念是:企业充斥着大量与现实脱节的策略。
And so the concept that I came to is that firms are full of strategies that aren't coupled to reality.
如果你观察一家风投公司,最终会发现它不过是一系列习惯的集合。
And if you look at a venture firm, eventually it's just a collection of habits.
这个观点借鉴自威廉·詹姆斯——我认为他是美国最伟大的思想家——我们不过是自身习惯的集合体,习惯孕育性格,孕育一切。
This is stealing from William James, who I think was the greatest American thinker, that you know we are nothing but an amalgamation of our habits and habits sow character, they sow everything.
所以培养好奇心——这是企业命脉所在——需要形成习惯。
So the idea that we should be nurturing curiosity, which is the essential lifeblood of the firm, needed a habit.
尽管周一的尝试也是如此,大家在办公室闲坐说笑,试图深入话题,但效果有限。
And and Mondays as much as they're an attempt at that, you sit around the office and you joke around, you try and dive into topics, they're limited.
这种开放式、无议程的晚餐能带来动态变化,疯狂探索合伙人可能好奇的最古怪事物——确实有几个话题让我深陷其中,后来他们把我拉了出来。
And so the dynamic range of a dinner with, you know, an open ended, no agenda, wild explorations of the most bizarre things your partners might be curious about, and I've definitely gotten a few, you know, rat holes with this group, then they pulled me out.
这逐渐成为彰显公司宗旨的方式之一,就是那种持续学习、激发好奇心,以及群体共鸣的氛围——这是两人晚餐永远无法达到的。
You know, it just became one of those things that honored the purpose of the firm, is the sense of, like, constantly learning and activating our curiosity, but, you know, collective effervescence of a group that we could never get in a one on one dinner.
目前显现的挑战之一是:在有主座的餐桌上,晚餐谈话可能会被某个主导者掌控。
One of the challenges, which is being manifest right now, is that in a table, you know, where there's a head of the table, you can get a dominant participant in the dinner conversation.
但桌子的问题在于,你要么选择蕴含权力结构的矩形设计,要么选择将群体分散的圆桌。
But the problem with the table is that you either have a rectangular structure which carries power structure embedded in it, or you have a circular table which atomizes the group.
所以我看到了这张由法国设计师Jean Marie Massoud设计的‘The Seven’桌子,并采纳了这个创意。
And so I'd seen this table, The Seven by Jean Marie Massoud, who's a French designer, and ran with the idea.
它应该是有机的,能够伸缩自如,但最重要的是能瓦解权力中心,创造一种非等级制的亲密结构。
Something would be organic that could expand and collapse, but most essentially destruct or deconstruct power centers and create a non hierarchical construct with intimacy.
不过最终这张桌子是由Ole Lundberg设计的。
But this table ends up being Ole Lundberg designed it.
我给了他一张手绘草图,他就据此完成了设计。
I gave him a hand sketch, he ran with it.
这张桌子让Ole的生活品质得到了显著提升,因为有太多有实力的人坐在这张桌前,决定他们也需要一张同样的桌子。
And it's allowed Ole's lifestyle to meaningfully upgrade because the number of people with means that have sat at this table to decide that they need a table just like this.
对于不了解这场晚宴重要性的听众来说,坐在这张桌子旁的通常不止五位合伙人。
Well, and the people you have at this table, just for listeners who don't understand the gravity of this dinner, it tends not to just be the five partners.
出席的都是相当尊贵的客人。
You have pretty esteemed guests come to these.
聚光灯下的关注,是你能给予一个人最珍贵的礼物。
It's the spotlight of attention, which is the biggest gift you can give to another human being on an individual.
而且往往是我们未曾合作或投资过的人。
And more often than not, it's somebody that we haven't worked with or invested in.
我想你们可能在播客中提到过,我们曾与Dylan Field这样的人共进晚餐。
And, I think you guys might have mentioned this in the podcast that, we've had dinners with people like Dylan Field.
然后,哦,你离开时...
And, oh, you come away.
你被深深打动了。
You're swept off your feet.
你会想,这就是我们存在的意义——为这样的人服务。
You're like, why this is why we exist to serve people like that.
Shopify的托比。
Toby from Shopify.
你知道,杰夫·贝索斯一直是我们追随的对象。
You know, Jeff Bezos has been we travel to Jeff.
你带桌子来了吗?
Do you bring the table?
可惜它不方便携带。
Unfortunately, it's not portable.
达纳那边,西雅图那边,洛杉矶呢?
The Dyna side, Seattle side, where LA?
去过洛杉矶,也去过西雅图。
Been in LA, we've been in Seattle.
我想你单从这张桌子的结构就能看出公司的精神——在这张桌子上你没法开小会,因为所有人都能听到,所以只能进行一场集体讨论。
And I think you can tell just from, you can see the ethos of the firm in the structure of the table too, which is that you can't have a sidebar conversation in this table because everybody else And can hear so it's all one conversation.
作为外部人士加入Benchmark后,我们周一所有事项的'单一讨论'模式非常高效,因为所有人都能完全聚焦在正在讨论的内容上。
And that, know, sort of coming from from the outside and then being part of Benchmark, like, the one conversation element of everything that we do on Monday is so powerful because we're all tuned in on whatever's being discussed.
有时候消息并不好。
And sometimes it's not great news.
有时候是好消息。
Sometimes it's good news.
有时候消息确实令人难以接受。
Sometimes it's tough news.
无论是什么情况,我认为让整个团队都参与进来,正是这种结构的核心力量所在。
Whatever it is, getting the whole group tuned in, I think is like the is the essential power of this structure.
而我特别喜欢用会议桌来实现这一点。
And I really like the table for that.
我是说,我永远不会忘记早期做风投时,有位资深合伙人私下告诉我:'如果你想在合伙人会议上提出什么议题,必须先和每位成员私下沟通好,才能拿到台面上讨论。'
I mean, I remember I'll never forget early in my venture career when I was a venture capitalist, I remember older partner taking me aside and saying, like, if you wanna bring something up at the partner meeting, you need to have had a side conversation with everybody else before you bring it up at the table.
这简直太——
Which is so
有意思了,因为布鲁斯·邓利维跟我们说他们有条铁律:'禁止提前兜售交易'。
funny because Bruce when we're talking to Bruce Dunleavy, he was like, our one rule was no pre selling a deal.
比如不能在走廊里到处说'嘿'
Like, can't walk around the hallway and say, like, hey.
'我超期待待会儿这个项目'
I'm super excited about this one later.
'你懂的,我觉得你肯定也会感兴趣'
Like, if you you know, I think you'll be excited too.
'记得投赞成票啊'
Like, vote for it.
这是最大的优势之一,尤其对从其他风投转来的人可以做基准比较,连投资备忘录都不用写。
That's one of the great perks, especially for somebody who's come from another venture firm to benchmark, so you don't write a memo.
因为备忘录本质上,你知道,除了交代公司背景和你做的工作,某种程度上也是在项目方来演示前做的预推销。
And it's because the memo, you know, when you're a memo really is a vehicle to to, you know, obviously give background on a company, all the work you've done, but it is also a little bit a presell before the company comes in to present.
这是在说服。
It's it's persuading.
是啊。
Yeah.
所以,你知道,很多时间都花在了写作和阅读他人作品上,而不必像创始人那样介入,完全没有那些事。
And so, you know, a lot of hours get consumed by the writing of it and the reading of others and not to to have like a founder come in then and there's none of that.
这是一张白纸,你只需要体验创始人的经历。
It's a blank sheet, and you just get to have the experience of the founder.
这是这是挺好的
It's it's a it's a nice
莎拉,有这么一个短语,叫做'寻求治疗',我觉得这个说法很好,就像是'对'。
Sarah, so there's this phrase, which is treat seeking, which I think is a really good one, which is it's like yeah.
这家公司了不起吗?它有机会成为这几十年来少数几家非凡的公司之一吗?
Does it is the company incredible and does that company have a chance to be one of these few extraordinary companies every decade?
实际上这些才是最重要的。
And like actually all that matters.
对我们所有人来说,这才是最重要的。
Like that's all that matters for all of us.
如果你找到了那样的公司,那你真的不需要推销它。
And if you find that, then you really don't need to sell it.
是啊。
Yeah.
你不需要推销它。
You don't need to sell it.
你有没有什么固定格式来系统化你的思考?
Do do you have any sort of format of codifying your thinking?
因为备忘录的作用不仅是创造销售工具,还能迫使你理清思路。
Because like memos serve the purpose of forcing you into clarity of thought in addition to creating an art a sales artifact.
那么在你的合作关系中,你会做些什么来理清思路?
And so how what things do you do in your partnership to gain clarity of thought?
我认为备忘录常常是个拐杖。
I would say the memo is a crutch often.
确实,它能迫使你理清思路,但也让你填补创业者自己没说的空白。
Because, yes, it can force you into clarity of thought, but it also allows you to fill in blanks that the entrepreneur themselves are not saying.
这会带入某种机构或你个人的行业观点偏见。
And it pushes a sort of bias and perspective that maybe the firm has, or maybe you have a sector thesis.
写备忘录时,其实有很多自我意识的体现。
And it's like, there's a lot of manifestation of ego when you put a memo together.
不写备忘录并不代表不用工作,不用打电话,不用进行对话。
Not having a memo does not replace work and does not replace the calls and does not replace the conversations.
我觉得我们周一的讨论特别棒,当你转述通话内容、分享通话笔记时,你其实在如实复述你的发现。
And what I find so amazing about our Monday discussions, when you're relaying the calls you have, relaying the notes you took on those calls, you're actually telling exactly what you've discovered.
没有先入为主的偏见,没有自我意识干扰,你没有向团队强加任何东西。
Without the overarching bias, without your ego pushing into it, you're not pushing anything into the firm.
你只是在说:这就是我的发现。
You're just saying like, this is what I've discovered.
我们刚刚都听到了创业者的话。
We all just heard from the entrepreneur.
这要么证实了他们的观点,某种程度上反映了他们想要在这个市场中探索的方式,要么就是我们遇到了一些挑战。
It either confirms their views and sort of like how they want to rove through this market or we found some challenges.
所以这有点像,我记得你们在播客中提到过,当你和基准合作伙伴交谈时,感觉我们没有一个硬性截止点。
And so it's that sort of like and I think you all mentioned it on your podcast, which is that when you talk to benchmark partners, feels like we don't have some hard stop.
我们可以一直继续下去。
We can just keep going.
是的。
Yeah.
这就是周一会议的美妙之处,我们没有下一个要跳转的话题。
And that is the beauty of that Monday meeting, which is that we don't have a next topic to jump to.
不像我们是在按清单办事。
It's not like we're working through a list.
所以我们
And so we
允许自己进行这种开放的讨论。
allow ourselves to have that open discussion.
议程。
Agenda.
你得过一遍CRM系统并更新它。
You gotta go through the CRM and update the CRM.
如果你没有更新你的CRM,你就会得到
And if you haven't updated your CRM, you're going to get
负分。
Negative points.
扣分项。
Negative points.
是的。
Yeah.
我没有
I don't
在CRM系统中看到所有这些通话记录。
see all these calls logged in the CRM.
我也认为这些成果存在于合作伙伴的记忆和亲身经历的故事中。
I also think that the artifacts live in the memories and the lived stories of the partners.
如果对这个方向感兴趣,就给Mac打电话,互相联系,打给Mac,打给Bill。
If there's a curiosity in that direction, call up Mac, call up each other, call up Mac, call up Bill.
因此那些经验、故事和智慧某种程度上仍在成功传承。
And so those learnings, those stories, that wisdom sort of still still walks successfully.
我最初的经历之一,这个周一无限制议程是我提出了一个
And one of my first experiences, this unbounded agenda on a Monday was I had brought up a
这太不舒服了。
It's so uncomfortable.
对于一个新加入的合作伙伴来说,这
For a new partner coming in and it's
就像不。
like No.
实际上,可能就是为了让你知道,这就是你第一个周一到来时会遇到的情况。
Actually, could just be for, like, you you know that that's gonna be what Monday is like coming when your first Monday.
因为你们五人中有四位曾是其他公司的普通合伙人
Because four of the five of you were GPs at other firms
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
在此之前。
Before this.
对。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
是的。
Yes.
所以我们都准备好了,伙计们。
So we've all ready, boys.
而且,比如你和布鲁斯或其他人聊的时候,感觉周一完全没有议程安排。
And, like, you talk to Bruce or whoever, it's like, just Monday has no agenda.
我理解这一点。
Like, I get that.
就像,你可以在理智上理解它。
Like, you can intellectually get it.
是的。
Yeah.
我 你
I you
明白了。
get it.
然后我想起了我的第一个星期一。
And then I remember my first Monday.
抱歉,在你第一个星期一打扰了你。
And sorry, interrupted you on your first Monday.
但你坐在那里,一直等着,比如,我们什么时候讨论业务线?
But you sit there and you keep on waiting for like, well, when are we gonna talk about pipeline?
或者我们什么时候讨论,你知道的,
Or when are we gonna talk about, you know,
投资组合更新?
the portfolio updates?
懂吗?
You know?
但并没有发生。
And it doesn't happen.
相反,就像是这些随机的漫谈,但实质性的议题会自然而然地出现。
And instead, it's like these random roving conversations, but then the topic of substance will come up in a natural way.
你们必须真正享受彼此的陪伴,才能让这种方式奏效。
You have to really enjoy being around each other in order for that to work.
其中之一
One of
我们晚餐时未曾谈及的那些话题,实际上,你知道,通过讨论这些超越日常事务的内容——那些我们每天例行公事之外的主题,你不仅能享受共处的时光,还能从不同维度了解彼此,听到一些平时不会讲的故事。
the things we didn't talk about for our dinners is like, we really you know, you just by getting to engage on these topics that aren't just the business of our day you know, what we do every day, You just get to enjoy being together, and then get and you get to know each other in different dimensions, some of the stories that get told.
上周我们深入探讨了迷幻药。
Last week was a deep dive in psychedelics.
所以这是
So it's a
那是为了某个交易还是
That's for a deal or
不是为了交易。
for Not for a deal.
准备
Prepare
要知道。
to know.
是啊。
Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah.
但那种开阔的
But that expansive
思维。
mind.
可能有
There may
成为一体。
be one.
是的。
Yes.
就是这样,就是这样
It is it is
关键在于接下来周一发生的事情以及期间的一切。
it is critical to then what happens on the Mondays and and everything in between.
那么,莎拉,你和杰森都提到了缺乏结构,备忘录并不能替代实际工作。是的。
What so, Sarah, you and Jason both mentioned lack of structure, lack of memo is not a replacement for doing the work Yeah.
我猜这是每周都会发生的情况。
That I assume happens during the week.
我很好奇
I'm curious what
那会议本身呢?
does that And the meeting itself.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我们没有理由不能联系我们想联系的人
There's no reason why we can't call somebody that we wanna
当我们在一起的时候聊聊。
talk to when we're together.
是的。
Yeah.
你开了免提吗?
You put them on speakerphone?
是的。
Yeah.
我们开了。
We have.
就像是,嘿。
It's like, hey.
你现在和我们所有人都在免提通话中。
You're on speaker with all of us.
我们有几个问题要问你。
We have a couple questions for you.
什么是
What is
创业者接到合伙人的电话时通常有什么反应?
the how do entrepreneurs react when they get a call from the partnership?
嘿。
Hey.
这里是基准资本。
It's benchmark.
对。
Yes.
不。
No.
我觉得这对所有人来说都很意外,无论是创业者还是我们常说的业内人士,就像在说‘嘿,我们是一体的’。
I think it's it's surprising to everybody, whether it's entrepreneurs or whether it's like people that we call in the industry, which is like, hey, we're all together.
这个问题出现了,我们想和你讨论一下。
This question came up and we want to talk to you about it.
就像是‘哇哦’。
It's like, oh, wow.
就像,这才是真正的团队协作。
Like, that's actual teamwork.
就像你们作为一个团队共同工作。
Like, you're working together as a team.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我认为你们两位对风投行业研究得如此深入,以至于Benchmark讲述的所有故事都是关于团队共同完成某件事的。
And I think you you both have investigated the Venture industry so much that sort of like all the stories that are told at Benchmark are all about the group going and accomplishing something.
有很多这样的例子,比如我们做了这个,我们做了那个,然后发生了这件事,接着我们又做了这个。
And there's a lot of, like, we did this, we did that, and then this happened, and then we did this.
而更广泛地说,这个行业的故事自然倾向于聚焦在一个人身上。
And then I think broadly, the stories are natural in the industry naturally tend to be one person.
比如,风险投资家被塑造成英雄。
Like, there's like the venture capitalist is the hero.
但事实几乎并非如此。
And the truth is that's hardly the truth.
部分原因在于我们五个人都深度参与其中,并作为一个团队共同努力。
And part of that is all five of us deeply engaged on that and working as a team for that.
当你召集大家时,你就是在锻炼这种行动力,锻炼这种能力。
And so when you call somebody together, you're exercising that motion, you're exercising that muscle.
我们在第一集花了很多时间讨论的一个话题就是心理状态会如何变化,本和我当时就在推测,作为合作伙伴与你们围坐在这张桌子旁会是怎样的情形。
So one of the things we spent a bunch of time talking about on the first episode was what the psychology must be like, Ben and I speculating of being a around this table here as a partner with you guys.
我们的论点是,对于普通人群来说,往往会趋向平庸。
And our thesis was that for a ordinary group of people, it would trend towards mediocrity.
但如果你们的文化规范是每个人都始终全力以赴,那么就会趋向卓越。
But if you have a cultural norm of we are all bringing it all the time, then it trends towards greatness.
为什么会趋向平庸呢?
And why would it trend toward mediocrity?
因为其他多位普通合伙人当年对Benchmark起步时的评价就是——这是共产主义式的资本主义,最终会像共产主义那样收场。
Well, because it's the line that, a bunch of other GPs said about Benchmark when it was getting started was that's communist capitalism and it's gonna trend it's gonna end up like communism.
没错。
Right.
但显然,这里的情况并非如此。
But obviously, that is not the case here.
我很好奇这对你们来说日常感受如何,周复一周地知道我们建立了这种伙伴关系,这种联系,我们共度这么多时光,但显然我们每个人都需要真正全力以赴。
I'm curious what that, like, feels like for you guys on a day to day, week to week basis knowing we've got this partnership, this relationship, we spend all this time together, but obviously we each need to like really bring it.
就在莎拉加入之前,
So right before Sarah was joining,
你还记得
do you remember
这个吗?
this?
嗯,当然。
Yeah, of course.
这大概是六年前,五六年左右的事。
This is like six five and half, six years ago.
对。
Yeah.
差不多吧。
Something like that.
然后她在某个周六给我发了短信。
So she texted me on a Saturday.
她说,我们还没正式公开关系,也没确定什么,但已经很亲密了。
She's like, do you So we hadn't been announced, decided we anything, but we were close.
她问,你明天有空吗?
And she's like, do you have time tomorrow?
好的。
Okay.
总之我们后来去吃了早午餐
And so anyways, we got brunch
在
at the
酒吧里,她突然说:埃里克,我们在Benchmark到底是做什么的?
pub and she's like, Eric, okay, What's our job at Benchmark?
就是问V3基金还是什么的,就是Benchmark。
Like, is V3 or whatever, Benchmark.
比如,是吗?
Like, is it?
我当时就对莎拉说,首要任务就是别搞砸了。
And I was like, Sarah, job number one, don't fuck it up.
没压力。
No pressure.
别搞砸了。
Don't fuck it up.
因为我认为确实存在这样的风险——你可能会想象一种风险,感觉自己天生就站在三垒上,或者用任何你喜欢的比喻来说。
Because I think there is a real risk that you could imagine a risk where you feel like you're born on third base or whatever the analogy you want to use is.
我认为你必须期待的是,每个新加入的人都觉得‘嘿,我是为创业者服务的,我的职责就是寻找、合作并帮助那些’
And I think one of the things that you have to hope for is that every single person who you add feels like, hey, I'm in service of the entrepreneur and it's my job to find and work with and help The
下一个eBay,对,下一个
next eBay, Yeah, the next
伟大的创业者。
next great entrepreneur.
相信我,我每天早上醒来都他妈饿得慌,生怕自己成为衰败的开始。
And believe me, I wake up every fucking morning like hungry that I don't want to be the beginning of the end.
是啊。
Yeah.
你想要做出贡献
You want to contribute
你个人这种想法是从哪里来的?
Where does that come from for you personally?
你为什么这样,因为你本不必如此
Why are you because you don't have to
因为我是一个失败的创业者
Because I'm a failed entrepreneur.
我想这就是...我想这对我来说确实如此,我深知其中艰辛,因为我尝试过却失败了
I think that's I I I think that really is is it for me, which is I know what I know how hard it is because I did it and failed.
未能达到预期
Did not live up to expectations.
未能达到预期
Did not live up to expectations.
我曾创办过公司,过程异常艰难但最终失败了
And I started a company and it was really hard and it didn't work.
所以你会真正意识到这有多困难
And so I think you just like realize like how difficult it is.
有很多人,他们非常聪明,拥有常与众不同的想法,想要以某种方式改变世界,这是这份工作的荣幸
There's a lot, they're so, the privilege of the job is there are people out there who are super smart, have an idea that's often against the grain, that want to change the world in some way.
而且,你知道,就是尽你所能去帮助他们
And, you know, it's doing what you can to help them.
所以我一直在思考这个问题
And so I think about that all the time.
我认为这是一种激励你继续证明自己的动力
And I think that's a chip on your shoulder or whatever to go prove.
存在不同的激励体系
There are different motivational systems.
好吧,有道理。
Yeah, fair enough.
有道理。
Fair enough.
我认为他们的一部分,或者说我们所有人,某些激励体系是建立在恐惧基础上的。
I think some part of them, all of us, some of those motivational systems are fear based.
别把它搞模糊了。
Don't fog it up.
有些是基于快乐的。
Some are joy based.
我记得对布鲁斯说过,我们进行了一次长谈,关于,你知道的,你们要继续前进。
And I remember saying to Bruce, we had a long conversation about, well, you know, you guys are moving on.
我真的不想,你知道的,我要让公司在我离开时比我加入时更好。
I really don't wanna, you know, I'm gonna leave the firm in a better place than I joined.
这并没有触及你问题的核心,即如何保持卓越的标准?
And it doesn't get to the core of your question, which is how do you maintain standards of excellence?
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
嗯,同侪压力在许多方面都是非常强大的机制。
Well, peer pressure is a really powerful mechanism in a lot of directions.
那么为什么它会倾向于卓越呢?
So why does it bend towards excellence?
我认为我们有这样一种洞见:与优秀企业家共事时感受到的那种纯粹的快乐是具有感染力的。
And I think we had this sort of insight that the joy you feel, the total complete joy of working with a great entrepreneur isn't is contagious.
它能让人充满活力。
It's energizing.
它是我们公司的命脉,是我们公司的货币。
It's the lifeblood of it's the currency of our of our firm.
如果我们展望未来,都能意识到Benchmark可能三十年后就不复存在了。
And if we look up towards that, we can all recognize that Benchmark probably isn't gonna be around in thirty years.
布鲁斯对我说,你不需要像Benchmaries那样留住我。
And Bruce said to me, you don't need to keep me like Benchmaries.
我们当初创立它并不是为了让其比我们更长久。
Like, we didn't try and start this so it would outlive us.
我的意思是,这某种程度上是个意外。
I mean, it was sort of an accident.
不过他们并没有给公司起名Benchmark。
They didn't name the firm Benchmark though.
所以,他们并没有附加
So, like They didn't attach
雷格斯到名字上,我觉得这很能说明问题。
Regus to its name, which I thought was telling.
你知道,但这种想法是转瞬即逝的,你说过一切都如过眼云烟。
You know, but the idea that this is ephemeral, and you said like everything's ephemeral.
就像这个结构,我们没有任何机构、特许经营权,这些词都让我们感到恶心。
Like the structure, we don't have any institution, franchise, all those words make us nauseous.
因为我们所处行业的本质就是要摧毁现有巨头。
Because it's the nature of the business we're in is that we wanna destroy the incumbents.
我认为我们共同反对威权主义,致力于推翻现有巨头。
And I think we're collectively aligned around being anti authoritarian, destroy the incumbents.
所以你最不想
So the last thing you wanna
成为的就是DNA,玛丽们的奠基。
become was the DNA, the founding of maries.
绝对如此。
Absolutely.
正如我们之前讨论的
As we talked about in
很好,所以希望这家公司没有任何部分会成为既得利益者。
great So want no part of this firm to become the incumbent.
那么你该如何做到这一点?
And so how do you do that?
通过以共同文化为基础的激烈革新,集体享受服务企业家的乐趣。
Violent rejuvenation with a common culture of collective joy in serving entrepreneurs.
如果你始终坚持这一点,毫不妥协地坚持,那么你会解雇自己,因为终有一天你会意识到:我不会从公司索取超过我所贡献的。
And if you stay true to that and ruthlessly true to it, then you fire yourself because there's a day where you realize I will not give to the firm more than I take.
就所有离开这家公司的人而言,我在投资史上从未见过这种情况。
And in in the case of everyone who's left this firm, and I've never seen this in the history of investing.
你研究所有这些公司。
You study all these firms.
每一位合伙人都主动解雇了自己。
Every single partner fired themselves.
正是这种道德准则形成了循环,你能感受到它,它是内在的。
And and it was that ethic that was recursive, and you feel it, and it's it's intrinsic.
我认为部分原因还在于,一旦你处于现任者的位置,我就是最后剩下的那个人。
And I think it's also partly because the minute you're in a position to be the incumbent, I'm the last man standing.
我希望我的合伙人能击败我。
We're I want I want my partners to destroy me.
那就是快乐,意味着他们已经成功了。
That's joy, which means they I've succeeded.
现在我们是大有限合伙人。
Now we're big limited partners.
所以,这也是
So that's that's also
快乐。
joy.
我好奇的是,过去的基准合伙人与这个团队是什么关系?
One thing I'm curious, what is the relationship of past benchmark partners to this group?
我们讨论过,我记得研究中和听埃里克、你和比尔都提到过的一件事是,对于Cerebrus,我们得打电话给布鲁斯。
We talked about, one of the things I remember, you know, from the research and hearing Eric, you and Bill both talk about is with Cerebrus, we gotta call Bruce.
我们得联系那些老家伙。
We gotta call the old guys.
是啊。
Yeah.
比如,U5与他们的关系是怎样的?
Like, what what is that relationship like for U5?
我的意思是,官方关系上他们是有限合伙人。
I mean, the official relationship is they're LPs.
比如,这是官方关系。
Like, that's the official relationship.
就像,他们和其他有限合伙人一样是我们的LP。
Like, they're LPs with us like other LPs.
我认为这种情感联系更像是你打电话时,出于彼得提到的所有原因,他们都希望你成功。
I think the more the feeling relationship is like you call and they want to see you succeed for all the reasons Peter's talking about.
所以他们接起电话提供帮助,并动用他们的关系网来支持你。
And so they pick up the call and help and put their network at work to help you.
而且他们见识广博,阅历丰富。
And they have a lot of insights and have seen a lot of stuff.
我想说,简单打个比方,他们更像是叔叔阿姨,而不是父母或
I would say one way, one shorthand, they feel more like uncles and aunts than they do like parents or
祖父母。
grandparents.
嗯。
Mhmm.
对。
Yeah.
太完美了。
That's perfect.
对于不了解的听众——就像我直到查塔姆刚才展示才知道一样,标杆合伙人们,你们都没有独立办公室。
And for listeners who don't know, because I didn't know until Chatham just showed us, the benchmark partners, none of you have offices.
你们全都围坐在这个超大的圆桌旁。
Like, you all sit at this crazy, round table.
看起来你要去打仗了,就像,你知道的,试图把战略部署到棋盘上。
Looks like you're going to war, and you're like you're like, you know, trying to put the strategy up on the board.
就像你
And like You
伙计们需要一个空心的甲板
guys need a hollow deck in
在中间。
the middle.
我们有个大便表情符号沙发。
We had a poop emoji sofa.
它并不是正式的
It was not officially a
大便表情,只是但是
poop emoji, but just but
但你有,比如,那边有带着电脑的叔叔阿姨们。
but you have, like, there are aunts and uncles with computers over there.
比如,那里不止五台电脑。
Like, there were not five computers.
有七台、八台、九台。
There were seven, eight, nine.
是啊。
Yeah.
我是说,这是
I mean, it's
我们正在摆脱他们。
We're getting rid of them.
虽然不够快,但他们很快就会消失。
Not fast enough, but they'll be gone soon enough.
是啊。
So yeah.
你是说我不该过度解读,比如他们还在这里。
You're saying that's that's I shouldn't read into that, like, they're here still.
我们的叔叔阿姨们,来做客没问题。
Our aunts and uncles, it's fine if they visit.
对。
Yeah.
但别待太久。
But not stay too long.
他们可以偶尔帮忙照看孩子。
They can watch the kids every now and then.
但一旦真的出了问题,有趣的是叔叔阿姨们会说'孩子还你'。。
But as soon as there's a real problem, it's funny because aunts and uncles say, here's your baby.
字面意思上,事情就是这样。
And literally, that's what happens.
哇哦。
Woah.
哇哦。
Woah.
这会是很辛苦的工作吗?
Is gonna be hard work?
哦,不。
Oh, no.
不。
No.
不。
No.
你们是父母。
You're the parents.
我得回家了。
I gotta go home.
当姑姑或叔叔挺好的。
It's great being an aunt or an uncle.
要知道,我有五个孩子,我可以告诉你,我本该吸取这个教训的。
Know, I have five children, and I can tell you, I should have learned that lesson.
我非常爱我的孩子们,但是,我兄弟的处境更好。
I love my children dearly, but, my brother's in a good position.
什么,哦,好吧。
What, oh, okay.
顺着这个话题,我一直很欣赏你们的一点是,在过去的生活中做过一些共同投资,以及你们在行业内的声誉,那种勤奋工作的精神。
So picking up on that theme, one of the things that I always have appreciated about you all, having done some co investments in past lives and just your reputation in the industry, the hard work.
能举些勤奋工作的例子吗?
What are examples of the hard work?
比如,真实的例子
Like, real examples
我们要把这些告诉查坦
We're we're gonna dish this to Chathan
因为我知道,是的。
because I I know it's Yeah.
我知道你这里有个故事。
I know you have a story here.
一个非常近期的故事。
A very recent one.
但那些反对者不会再做什么了。
But the the antinocles are not gonna not gonna do anymore.
切坦,你的投资组合公司通常以哪些方式让你参与工作?
What are the ways in which you, get put to work by your portfolio companies, Chetan?
嗯,这位是切坦,他是...
Well, this Chetan and part of
原因
the reason
他有点混乱,面前还放着杯冷萃咖啡
he's discombobulated and has a cold brew in front of
他。
him.
你们五个在下午五点看视频的人会发现他已经离开了
Those Five of you who are watching the video at 5PM is he got off
一个
an
国际航班在三小时前,四小时前。
international flight three hours ago, four hours ago.
周一还和我们在一起。
Was with us on Monday.
那个和我们一起的。
Which was with us.
并决定离开。
And decided to go.
并决定
And decided
去我本可以
to I had
再待一小时。
another hour.
在周一。
On Monday.
而今天是周三。
And today's Wednesday.
所以我们在这里,四十八小时
So here we are, forty eight hours
的我不只是来...不,我状态很好。
of I'm not just coming yeah, I'm not I'm doing great.
那么,是什么情况让你突然决定需要
So so what are the circumstances that lead to you suddenly deciding that you need to
参与?
be in?
我认为这是个很好的例子,展示了公司和我们团队如何运作,当时有一家投资组合公司正面临一个重要决策。
I think this is a great story of, you know, how the firm and we as a group operate, which is, you know, there was a portfolio company that was going through an important decision.
而且,你知道,周五早上已经做出了一个决定。
And, you know, there was there was a decision that was made Friday morning.
感觉那个决定已经是最终的了。
It felt like there was a finality to that decision.
就像是,好吧,这就是我们要做的。
It was like, okay, this is what we're going to do.
然后,你知道,人们过周末时情绪上来了,和朋友聊了聊,事情就开始偏离轨道了。
And then, you know, people go to the weekend, emotions rise up, they have conversations with their friends, and, you know, stuff starts to get off track.
周日晚上我接到电话,说事情正在失控。
And I get a call, you know, Sunday night, it's just like, you know, things are getting off track.
我们该怎么办?
What do we do?
你知道,我们都在一个群聊里。
And, you know, we're all on a group chat.
所以我立刻在群聊里发了消息说明情况。
And so I put it immediately in the group chat that says, here's what's going on.
我在寻求建议。
I'm looking for advice.
那是在深夜,埃里克在11点或11点半给我打了电话。
It was late at night, and Eric called me at eleven or 11:30PM.
我们聊了三、四十分钟。
And we talk for thirty, forty minutes.
我们只是把所有事情都梳理了一遍。
We're just walking through everything.
那个时刻最不可思议的是,当你身处其中时,真的很难不被情绪左右而停止理性思考。
And what was so incredible about that moment is when you're in it, it's really hard not to get wrapped up in emotion and sort of stop thinking logically.
那次谈话的精彩之处在于,埃里克能够跳出局外说:听着,我们是为创业者服务的。
And what was great about that conversation is Eric was able to zoom out and say, look, we're in the service of entrepreneurs.
我们只负责建议和指导创业者。
We only recommend and guide entrepreneurs.
归根结底公司是他们的。
It's ultimately their company.
决定权在他们手上。
It's their decision.
所以埃里克在电话里说的是:我会这么做,也知道你会这么做——这是个不错的...
And so what Eric said on the call is what what I would do is and what I know you would do is That's a good Here's
恐惧压力。
the fear pressure.
我知道你,泰特姆,会这么做的。
I know you, Tatum, would do this.
对吧?
Right?
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
就是说,如果你当时没在那个情境下,你可能会打个电话说,嘿,这是你的决定。
Which is, you know, if you were if you weren't in the moment, you would you would make the phone call and say, hey, this is your decision.
我在这里,无论如何都百分百支持你。
I'm here and a 100% supportive no matter what.
于是我们挂断了电话。
And so we got off the phone.
我打了那个电话
I made that phone
。
call.
但我是这么想的。
But also here's what I think.
对。
Yeah.
呃,不是。
Well, no.
我觉得因为你已经经历了所有
I think because you've gone through all
的思考
of think
部分已经完成了,是的。
part had already yeah.
它已经
It had already
已经完成了,这是
been done, which is There
无需再多想。
is no more thinking.
就像我们是你的参谋团。
It's your Like, We're a sounding board.
由你来做决定。
You make the call.
所有的事实、所有的推理,一切都已摆明。
All the facts, all the reasoning, all of that had been laid out.
不再需要逻辑,也不再需要解释。
There was no more logic and there was no more explanation required.
到了这个地步,已经是情感因素了。
It was, at this point, it was emotional.
而且,你知道,和埃里克谈完后,我做了决定。
And, you know, after that conversation with Eric, I made a call.
他只是说,这是你的公司。
He just said, it's your company.
我当时在周日晚上。
I was on Sunday night.
那是周日的晚上。
This was Sunday night.
然后是周一合伙人会议。
Then Monday partner meeting.
那通电话是我在午夜打的。
This was like midnight I made the call.
所以你们都在圈子里
So you're all in the circle
周一。
Monday.
于是我们周一早上来上班时,正在交谈。
And so we come in Monday morning, we're talking.
然后谈话进行到某个时刻,彼得说这种对话不该在电话或Zoom上进行。
And then at some point during the conversation, Peter said, this is not a conversation that should happen on the phone or on Zoom.
必须当面谈。
It needs to happen in person.
我当时就说,好吧。
I was like, okay.
那就这么办。
Let's do it.
好的。
Okay.
嗯。
Yeah.
然后我就想,好吧。
And then I was like, okay.
我现在就该立刻上飞机。
I should get on a plane right now.
于是我们就出发了。
And so here we go.
是时候去旧金山机场了。
Like, time to go to San Francisco Airport.
就在我准备离开时,埃里克问:'你会回来参加合唱团吗?'
And then as I was leaving, Eric goes, are you gonna come back for the choir?
我就说,哦,当然。
Was like, oh, yeah.
好的。
Okay.
别担心。
Don't worry.
我会想办法去的
I'll find a way to go
我是不是要赶最后一班飞机去欧洲。
am I getting on a last minute flight to Europe.
是啊。
Yeah.
而且你必须在周三某个时间点前赶回来。
And you have to come back by a certain hour on Wednesday.
当时的情况是,当我登机时,那件事意义重大,发出了如此积极的信号,以至于我落地时,一切都已经就位了。
And what transpired was as I was getting on the plane, that meant so much and set such a positive signal that by the time I landed, everything had just, like, gotten in place.
就像,我什么都没说。
Like, I didn't say anything.
我什么都没做。
I didn't do anything.
仅仅是展现出那种程度的支持和承诺,就改变了整个局面,好像在说,嘿,你是认真的,你在这里就是为了支持我、支持我们、支持团队。
Just showing that level of support and commitment changed sort of like all the dynamics, which is like, hey, this is oh, you actually meant what you said, that you're here to just support me and support us and support the team.
你说得对,这是我们的决定。
And you're right, it is our decision.
就这样。
And and that was it.
它彻底改变了谈话的基调。
It changed the tenor of the conversation completely.
我想说,这从广义上也体现了投资的态度。
I would say it's like also broadly a manifestation of like the orientation to investing.
对吧?
Right?
就像,很多人会这样谈论投资,哦,我们下了这个赌注。
Like, there's a lot of people who would say of investing, oh, like, we made this bet.
你可能会多次听到这个词。
Like, you might hear that word a bunch of times.
哦,比如,这是个好赌注,或者这是个风险调整后的好赌注,希望它会是个好赌注。
Oh, like, well, it's a good bet, or it's a good risk adjusted bet, or hopefully it'll be a good bet.
而且有一种非常被动的
And there's a there's a very passive
我想拥有那份资产。
I'd like to own that asset.
是啊。
Yeah.
我想拥有那个,是的。
I'd to own that Yeah.
这是贝克峰的一景。
It's a view of Bakerspeak.
对。
Yeah.
这是
It's
这是个元宇宙的玩法。
it's a metaverse play.
但是
But
它某种程度上,像是渗透着一种非常被动的视角,几乎像是在试图超级预测一组概率,你们做了功课来超级预测那些概率。
it sort of, like, pervades a very passive view of almost, like, trying to super forecast a set of odds, you did the diligence to super forecast those odds.
而且,我们永远不会用那种方式交谈。
And, like, we'll never we never talk in in that way.
这就像,当我们考虑与创始人合作时,不是想着'哦,我们要下个好注'。
It's, like, when we think about partnering with the founders, not, oh, we want to make a good bet.
就像我们想要做出一个承诺。
It's like we wanna make a commitment.
而这个承诺表现为一个团体在这里保持脆弱和诚实,并共同获得那种反馈。
And that commitment manifests like as a group to be vulnerable and honest here and and and collectively get that feedback.
然后与创始人们一起在场上扭转那些不利因素。
And then with the founders to be on the field denting those odds.
对吧?●●●
Right?
每年,重要的年份甚至每年都有那么几次,总有些关键时刻你能明显感觉到。
Each year, big years and even a couple times in every year, there's important moments where you can tell.
我们不一定能彻底改变。
We can't transform necessarily.
我们并不是说我们有什么灵丹妙计。
We're not saying we've got some silver bullet.
但那个承诺真的能改变胜算。
But that commitment can really change the odds.
你知道,我们每个人每年都会做一两个这样的承诺。
You know, each of us make one or two of these commitments a year.
不是赌注。
Not bets.
对。
Right.
它们不是赌注。
They're not bets.
由于每年只有一两次机会,我们与创始人之间会建立起一种特殊的关系。
And there's a level of relationship that then happens with the founders because there's only one or two a year.
最终你会感受到,你是真心关心每一家合作的公司、每一位创始人以及整个团队的一切。
And it's and what you end up feeling is that you really just care about every company that you work with and the founders and the teams and everything.
所以当这些时刻来临时,这不是与众多合作公司中某一家的事务性往来。
And so when these moments happen, it's not a transactional thing of one of a lot of companies with which you work.
而是与你深入了解、密切合作的创始人之间的互动,对我们而言提供这种程度的支持再自然不过。
It's a founder that you really work closely with that you know so much about and that level of support doesn't feel like something unusual for us to do.
这正是我们对自我的要求,也是我们与这些团队之间应有的关系。
It's something that we we just expect of ourselves, and that's the relationship that we'll have with these teams.
现在正是感谢节目老友ServiceNow的好时机。
Now is a great time to thank good friend of the show, ServiceNow.
我们曾向听众介绍过ServiceNow传奇的创业故事,以及他们过去十年如何成为表现最出色的企业之一,但仍有听众询问ServiceNow实际业务。
We have talked to listeners about ServiceNow's amazing origin story and how they've been one of the best performing companies the last decade, but we've gotten some questions from listeners about what ServiceNow actually does.
今天我们就来解答这个问题。
So today, we are gonna answer that question.
首先,最近媒体经常引用一个说法:ServiceNow是企业的'AI操作系统'。
Well, to start, a phrase that has been used often here recently in the press is that ServiceNow is the, quote, unquote, AI operating system for the enterprise.
具体来说,22年前ServiceNow创立时专注于自动化领域。
But to make that more concrete, ServiceNow started twenty two years ago focused simply on automation.
他们最初将企业IT部门的纸质流程转化为软件工作流。
They turned physical paperwork into software workflows initially for the IT department within enterprises.
这就是它的起点。
That was it.
随着时间的推移,他们在这个平台上不断构建,承担起更强大、更复杂的任务。
And over time, they built on this platform going to more powerful and complex tasks.
他们的服务范围从仅支持IT部门扩展到人力资源、财务、客户服务、现场运营等其他部门。
They were expanding from serving just IT to other departments like HR, finance, customer service, field operations, and more.
在过去二十年的发展过程中,ServiceNow已经完成了连接企业各个角落,实现自动化所需的所有繁琐基础工作。
And in the process over the last two decades, ServiceNow has laid all the tedious groundwork necessary to connect every corner of the enterprise and enable automation to happen.
所以当人工智能出现时,从定义上来说,AI本质上就是一种高度复杂的任务自动化。
So when AI arrived well, AI kinda just by definition is massively sophisticated task automation.
而谁已经构建了平台和企业间的连接组织,使这种自动化成为可能?
And who had already built the platform and the connective tissue with enterprises to enable that automation?
ServiceNow。
ServiceNow.
那么回答这个问题:ServiceNow如今是做什么的?
So to answer the question, what does ServiceNow do today?
当他们说连接并赋能每个部门时,他们是认真的。
We mean it when they say they connect and power every department.
IT和人力资源部门用它来管理全公司的人员、设备和软件许可证。
IT and HR use it to manage people, devices, software licenses across the company.
客户服务部门使用ServiceNow来处理诸如检测支付失败,并将其路由到内部正确的团队或流程以解决问题。
Customer service uses ServiceNow for things like detecting payment failures and routing to the right team or process internally to solve it.
供应链组织则用它来进行产能规划,整合来自其他部门的数据和计划,确保每个人都在同一页面上。
Or the supply chain org uses it for capacity planning, integrating with data and plans from other departments to ensure that everybody's on the same page.
不再需要在不同应用程序之间来回切换,重复输入相同的数据。
No more swivel chairing between apps to enter the same data multiple times in different places.
就在最近,ServiceNow推出了AI代理,让任何岗位的员工都能快速启用AI代理来处理繁琐事务,从而让人类腾出手来关注更宏观的工作。
And just recently, ServiceNow launched AI agents so that anyone working in any job can spin up an AI agent to handle the tedious stuff, freeing up humans for bigger picture work.
ServiceNow去年入选了《财富》杂志全球最受赞赏公司榜单和《快公司》最佳创新者工作场所榜单,正是源于这一愿景。
ServiceNow was named to Fortune's world's most admired companies list last year and Fast Company's best workplace for innovators last year, and it's because of this vision.
如果你想在业务的每个角落都利用ServiceNow的规模和速度,请访问servicenow.com/acquired,只需告诉他们是本和大卫推荐你来的。
If you wanna take advantage of the scale and speed of ServiceNow in every corner of your business, go to servicenow.com/acquired and just tell them that Ben and David sent you.
谢谢ServiceNow。
Thanks, ServiceNow.
我能问一下吗,这可能有点...你知道的...涉及到比较难讨论的领域?
Can I ask and and this may be, you know, drifting into an area that's that's harder to talk about?
所以我们可以稍微抽象化一点来谈。
And so, we can abstract it a little bit away.
我们在节目里讨论过Uber,但我想把它抽象成...你知道...你通常如何看待这类问题。
We talked about Uber on our episode, but I wanna abstract it to, you know, how you think about this generally.
传统上,风险投资公司普通合伙人的角色是:一方面对有限合伙人负有实现投资回报最大化的受托责任,另一方面在加入被投公司董事会时又对公司负有第二重受托责任。
The role of a general partner in a venture capital firm traditionally is that you have a fiduciary responsibility to your LPs to maximize their returns, and you have a a second fiduciary responsibility when you join the board of a company to the company.
试图平衡这两者已经够棘手了,因为有时这些责任是相互冲突的。
And it's hairy enough trying to balance the trade off that because sometimes those things are at odds.
在公司层面,你代表的是所有股东的利益。
You're representing all shareholders on the company's side.
而对于有限合伙人,你代表的...你知道...是他们的利益。
And with your LPs, you're representing, you know, their interests.
于是你又引入了第三重考量,也就是你最关心的部分——对创始人的支持与赋能。
And so you then introduce this third thing, which is the thing you care the most about, which is support of the founder and empowering the founder.
那些情况什么时候会变得棘手?
When do those things get hard?
你如何平衡这些事情?
How do you balance those things?
我猜大多数时候你们严格遵循的原则是'我们与这位创始人合作并信任他们'。
I assume most of the time you're indexing strictly to we're partnering with this founder and we trust them.
但什么时候你需要同时应付这些事?
But when when do you have to juggle those things?
是啊。
Yeah.
我是说,人们经常去做心理咨询。
I mean, it's people go to therapy often.
他们只谈论出问题的那些破事。
They only talk about the shit that's going wrong.
而我认为思考哪些方面进展顺利也很有价值。
And I think it's useful to think about what's going right.
如果没有关于蓬勃发展的DSM诊断手册,至少存在针对功能障碍的DSM。
And if there's not a DSM for flourishing, there's, there's a DSM for dysfunctions.
我们可以翻开那本书,看到各种类型的功能障碍。
We could open that book up and we can have all sorts of flavors of dysfunctional.
我认为这样做既能说明问题,也能让我们了解事情可能出错的途径。
And I think we could do that and that would be illustrative and informative about how it can go wrong.
我会反过来问:当一切顺利时,达成共识的前提条件是什么?
I would flip it and say when it works well, what are the preconditions of where you have alignment?
然后你看看由此产生的退化。
And then you look at degradations from that.
我认为在持久的创始人基准伙伴关系中,脆弱性是一个至关重要的词汇。
I think one of the words that's sort of vital to any durable founder benchmark partner relationship is vulnerability.
如果出现‘我不能与我的伙伴分享这个信息’的犹豫或迟疑,那么我们已经损害了这段关系,必须修复它。
And if if there's ever caution or pause of I can't share this information with my, then we've, degradated the relationship and we have to fix that.
而修复信任需要一对一地深入进行。
And you fix trust is fixed intimately one on one.
通过对话让你们能够放大视角,去思考:我们的共同目标是什么?
You have conversations that allow you to zoom up to say, okay, what's the collective purpose?
我认为我们可以以Uber为例来讨论。
And I think that we could talk about Uber.
我完全有理由相信特拉维斯的初衷是打造一个最大、最卓越的Uber。
We could I I have every reason to believe Travis's purpose was, the biggest, most extraordinary Uber imaginable.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你知道,我们曾共同聚焦于这个目标。
And, you know, we had a collective gaze on that together.
在许多情况下(这次就是其中之一),病态现象会悄然滋生。
And and and in many situations, this was one of them, pathologies creep in.
你会在公司经历中领悟到:当发现这种情况时,必须立即采取行动。因为一旦我们开始对立,不再是关于共同目标,而是变成你我之争、我的议程与LP议程之争等等。
And you learn this through a course of firm experience, which is when you start to see that happening, you need to act immediately Because the minute we get othered, and it's not about us and this joint purpose, but it's you and me, it's my agenda and my LP's agenda and all that.
遗憾的是,我在业内很多其他公司都看到这种现象,因为问题往往不在会议室里的合伙人身上。
And I sadly see that with a lot of the other firms in the industry because it's not necessarily the partner in the room that's got the issue.
正是他们的合作伙伴告诉他们需要做这个或那个。
It's their partners that have told them that they need to do this or they need do that.
当我看到时,我的反应是,天哪,我真是佩服你。
And I see it, I'm like, oh man, I adore you.
但你的合作伙伴对此有不同的感受。
But your partners, have different feelings about.
而你在这里试图动摇,因为他们质问:为什么我们没有达成计划?
And you're here trying to rattle because they've said, why aren't we meeting our plan?
于是创业者瞬间脆弱性爆发,信任关系就此断裂。
And so the entrepreneur immediately, vulnerability snaps like that and it closes and then you have no trust.
通常他们会来找我们说,我们
Now they come to us typically and they say, we
遇到了一个关于
got a problem with one of
董事的问题。
our directors.
我说,好吧。
I'm like, okay.
我们会私下和他们沟通,询问:这到底是怎么回事?
So we'll, you know, we'll have an off sidebar with them and say, what's going on here?
我该如何帮你处理与合作伙伴的关系?
How can I help you with your partners?
尽管你看到许多分崩离析的案例,但让我讲个相反的故事——我认为只有在这种公司模式下才能真正成功。
And as much as, you know, you look at at situations where it falls apart, let me give you an inverse story, which is where it really only could work, I think, in this firm model.
我曾在一家公司的董事会任职,该公司筹集了大约2到3亿美元的资金,而我对此负有相当的责任。
I was on the board of a company that racked somewhere between 2 to $300,000,000 of capital, and I'm pretty accountable.
如果这份工作真有那些标准、治理和实践,我现在就该被解雇了,那家公司叫Docker。
Now I should be fired if this job actually had those standards and governance and practices, and that company's called Docker.
我昨天还在迈阿密参加他们的全员会议。
And I was just in Miami yesterday at their all hands meeting.
我记得
And I remember the
上次投资时,公司还叫dot cloud。
last time invested, was called dot cloud.
对吧?
Right?
Dot cloud。
Dot cloud.
上次我与Docker召开全员会议是在三年前,当时我们从原公司分拆出60名员工,公司估值为零。
So last time I did an all hands meeting with Docker was three years ago, and there were 60 employees that that we'd spun out of the prior company, and the valuation was zero.
我们就这样从超过15亿的估值跌到了零。
So we'd gone from over a billion 4, billion 5 to zero.
当时我与业内一些顶尖的风险投资家共同运作那家公司。
And I was working with some of the great venture capitalists in the industry on that company.
除了Insight Partners之外,其他人都像蟋蟀一样消失了,全都撤资跑路了。
And aside from Insight Partners, crickets, gone, all left, bailed.
我觉得这没什么。
And I this is okay.
Benchmark有什么不同之处?
What was different with Benchmark?
Insight则是另一回事了。
Insight's another story.
节目中我们很少提到一句很有趣的引语。
There's a very fun quote that we don't often talk about on the show.
虽然节目中从未讨论过这点,但某家知名公司有句箴言是'专注于你的赢家'。
Don't think we ever talk about this on the show, but a very prominent firm has a one of their mantra quotes is focus on your winners.
我想这正是你所说的意思。
I think that's what you're talking about here.
是的。
Yeah.
而且...而且...好吧,当时它确实是个相当大的失败项目。
And and and well, at this point, was a it was a was a pretty big loser.
但我能与留下的团队坦诚相对,承认我们犯了错,为此负责,并共同寻找解决方案。
And but the vulnerability that I was able to have with the team that remained to say we made mistakes, we're accountable to it, here's how we work through this.
知道为什么吗?
Because you know what?
如果你查阅Docker的宗旨,我们实际上正处于——这话虽然老套——
If you look up in the purpose of Docker, we're literally at this is cliche.
这是起点。
It's the beginning.
要知道,每天有3000万开发者在使用这个产品。
You know, we have 30,000,000 developers that use this product every day.
是的。
Yeah.
那是最疯狂的事。
That's the craziest thing.
难以置信的产品成功彻底改变了行业,但商业模式和战略上的失败导致未能有效捕获价值。
Unbelievable product success that completely changed the industry, but, like, business moderate business model and strategic failure such that there wasn't effective value capture.
存在价值破坏。
There was value destruction.
数亿美元的价值破坏。
Hundreds of millions of dollars of value destruction.
我对两位合伙人说,我可能是在自欺欺人。
My two partners, I came in and I said, I may be drinking my own bathwater.
我...我不知道该怎么办。
I I like, I don't know what to do here.
我当时非常脆弱。
I was really vulnerable.
我说,我已经走火入魔了,任何寻求真相的尝试都不允许我推诿、辩解或扮演受害者。
And I said, I've gone off the deep end, no part of that truth seeking exercise would allow me to spin, position, blame, be a victim.
我在承担责任。
I was being accountable.
我问自己到底做了什么?
And I said like what have I done?
他们却说不仅相信这家公司,还问能否把它纳入新基金中?
And they said not only do we believe in this company, can we put it in the new fund too?
我想,好吧,这太疯狂了。
I thought, well, that's crazy.
我当时觉得,但你是对的。
I was like, but you're right.
如果你相信,就必须达到创始人级别——我常开玩笑说,员工可以辞职。
If you believe, you have to have that founder level I always joke, you know, employees can quit.
创始人不能撤销一家公司。
Founders can't unfound a company.
是啊。
Yeah.
我认为我们在承诺中也有这种感觉。
And I think we feel that way in our commitments.
我们无法撤销那种创始人的永久性,而且往往它比任何被招募的高管都更持久。
We can't uncommit that founder permanence and and oftentimes, it outlives every executive that gets recruited.
不是所有高管,但绝大多数都是这样。
Not every, but like a hyper majority of executives.
所以这个繁荣的例子,以及那个关于信任的例子,所有这些给LP议程、创始人议程带来压力的事情——其实并不难。
And so this case of flourishing and and then that was a case of, you know, trust, all these things that come to stress, the LP's agenda, the founder's agenda, the com it's not that hard.
你只需抬头问问:这家公司的目的是什么?
You just look up and say, what's the purpose of the company?
让我们围绕这点达成一致,其他问题自然就解决了。
Let's resolve around that and that'll sort the rest of the stuff out.
就像贝索斯说的长期主义——在创造惊喜、令人惊叹与股东价值之间,其实根本没有冲突。
As the, you know, Bezos thing, the long term, there really is no conflict, between creating you know, delighting and a wowing And and shareholder value.
是的。
Yeah.
打动客户并创造股东价值。
Impressing the customer and creating shareholder value.
我们的客户不是创始人。
Our customer isn't, it's not the founder.
我们嘴上说是,但实际上这是创始人的目的。
We say it is, but it's really the purpose of the founder.
对。
Yeah.
结果发现,如果那就是客户,那便是目的所在。
And it turns out that purpose, if that's the customer.
没错。
Yeah.
我们中可能有人偏离了这一点,但我们可以互相监督,这发生在内部。
One of us may be deviating from that and we can keep each other accountable and that happens internally.
我的合伙人说,不,Docker的使命才刚刚开始。
My partner said, no, the purpose of Docker is just the beginning.
天啊,他们要让开发者来为这台全球计算机编程。
My God is they're going to get developers to program the global computer.
好吧。
Okay.
那么你就能挽回3亿美元的损失资本。
So then you could dust off $300,000,000 of lost capital.
所以我想说的是,这次会议我们真正想与大家探讨的一个重要话题是专注于早期阶段,不设立成长基金,尤其是在你的整个同行群体都已转变为全周期资本提供者的情况下。
So I wanna do, a big topic we really wanted to cover with you guys in this session is staying focused on early stage, not having a growth fund, especially when your entire peer set has become life cycle capital providers.
实际上我认为这是个很好的切入点。
And I actually think this is a good entry into it.
彼得,你刚才讲的那个故事,关于事情进展不顺时采用的基准策略。
So, Peter, the story you just told of, like, when things are not going right, the benchmark approach.
我其实更想知道当事情进展顺利时的情况。
I'm actually really curious when things are going right.
你的竞争对手们说过,当事情顺利时,我们应该长期持有。
Your competitive set has said when things are going right, we should go long.
我们认为这在很大程度上是对你们在'快四侠'时代的一种竞争性回应。
We are going to interpret that, I think in large part as a competitive response to you guys during the fast Fab Four era.
我们将成为全周期资本提供者。
We are going to become life cycle capital providers.
我们会一轮又一轮地向我们最看好的项目投入大量资金。
We're gonna put a ton of money round after round after round into our best wishes.
这是对Benchmark的回应。
In response to Benchmark.
那是对'能赚取巨额管理费'的回应。
That was in response to there's a crap ton of fees to make on.
而且创始人们会不断接受我们的资金,我们拥有
And and the founders will keep taking our money, and we have
这个品牌可以告诉你。
the brand to tell you.
像是的。
Like Yes.
那并不像是,哦,Benchmark一直如此忠于他们的风格以至于
That was not like, oh, Benchmark stayed so true to their thing that
好的。
Okay.
我认为有三类公司。
I think there are three classes of firms.
有一类公司符合这个描述。
There's a class firm that fit that.
对。
Yeah.
还有Benchmark。
There's benchmark.
然后还有一类公司实际上是在做战略决策。
And then there's a class of firm that actually we're making a strategic decision.
我们在乎Carrie。
We care about Carrie.
我们为Carrie而战。
We're playing for Carrie.
我们认为能做到100%。
We think we can 100%.
是的。
Yeah.
还有那些
And and those
关于第三节课的那些决定是有效的。
were valid decisions on on that third class.
但你
But you
你们还没完成那件事。
guys have not done that.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
尽管,我猜,你们本有世界上所有的机会去完成它。
Despite, I assume, every opportunity in the world to do so.
为什么?
Why?
我们能问问迈尔斯吗?
Can we ask Miles?
你是最新加入的。
You were the newest to to join.
他会尝试改变现状。
He's gonna try and change that.
嗯,其实。
Well, actually.
你问得真有趣。
He's been funny you asked.
这是一个
This is a
很好的观点。
great point.
宣布一下。
To announce.
那更恶心了。
That's more gross.
我们楼上还有个更大的餐厅。
We've got an even bigger dining room upstairs.
这个三角形我们能拉多长?
How far can we stretch this triangle?
听着,我认为确实存在所有这些机会来实现这一点。
Look, I think there is there is certainly Say it all of those opportunities to do that.
我觉得莎拉部分说得很好,比如,我们的工作重点是如何扩大这些公司的规模。
I think Sarah says it nicely in in part, like, our job we're really focused on how do we scale the company those companies.
对吧?
Right?
而作为其中一部分,如何建立一种不会被我们是否做出另一个承诺决定所干扰的关系。
And how as part of that having a relationship that doesn't get sort of adulted by this question of the us making another commitment decision.
就像我们已经参与其中,不再评估了。
It's like we're we're we're in, and we're not evaluating anymore.
我们也不再决定什么是公平价格了。
We're not deciding what a fair price is anymore.
我们并非试图决定如何与一家公司制定战略决策,以优化时机为我们获取更多资金。
We're not trying to decide, how to maybe make a make a strategic call with a company that optimizes for a moment for us to get more capital in.
就像,我们应该消除这种关系中任何可能的疑虑、其他动机或问题。
Like, there should be we wanna remove any chance of doubts or alternative incentives or questions in in that relationship.
对吧?
Right?
这样才能完全彻底地敞开心扉。
So it can be fully fully vulnerable.
如果我们做得好,并且与具有伟大目标、拥有无限发展空间的想法合作,我们的成功将随着它们的成功而扩大。
And if we do that well and and we've partnered with ideas with great purpose and and and a long endless runway to work on, our success will scale through their success.
我们不需要独立于这些公司的发展而自行扩张。
And we don't need to scale ourselves independently of those companies scaling.
因此我认为渺小的美好之处在于,我们都能做得很好。
And so I think we'll all the beauty of being small is like we'll all do perfectly well.
但只会像是
But there will only be like
如果你愿意在自己公司投入更多资金,地上就会有百万美元钞票等着你捡。
million dollar bills on the ground for you to pick up if you were to just put more money in your own companies.
我
I
完全同意迈尔斯的观点,我只想补充一点:如果你热爱所做之事,那就不像在工作。
totally agree with Miles and I would just add one thing is like, it doesn't feel like work if you love doing it.
你热爱做什么呢?
What do you love doing?
我认为最关键的是,如果你热爱与创始人共事,那么你就应该把时间花在与创始人合作上。
And I think that's the biggest thing, which is if you love working with founders, then you want to spend your time working with founders.
这意味着你不愿把时间耗费在管理一个不断扩张的团队上。
And that means you don't want to spend your time managing a staff that's scaling.
你也不愿意花时间向有限合伙人或其他方做营销。
You don't want to spend your time doing marketing to LPs or others.
就像,你不想把时间浪费在接触那些超出你职责范围的投资项目上。
Like, you don't wanna spend your time meeting investments that are outside of your purview.
这就像是,你只想把时间都留给那些创始人。
Like, it's just like, that's like, you wanna spend your time with those founders.
我认为这才是重点——你真正热爱做什么?
And I think that's the, what do you love doing?
我觉得这才是最关键的。
And I think that's the biggest thing.
毫无疑问,过去几年里成长型投资者取得了非凡的成就,极其出色。
I don't think there's any question that over the last few years, the growth investors have done extraordinarily well, extraordinarily well.
通过这种方式可以轻松赚取数百万美元。
And there was millions of dollars to be picked up doing that.
但我觉得'你真正热爱做什么'这个问题确实发人深省。
But I think the question of like, what do you love doing really resonates.
有个特别好的现象是,周期会轮转,而策略却能穿越周期持续有效。
And one thing that's super nice is, you know, the cycles turn and the strategy persists through cycles.
所以我也不担心会出现一亿美元的漏洞。
And so I also don't worry about a $100,000,000 holes.
对。
Right.
我们开始前还在开玩笑。
We were joking before we started.
比如,我会想象我们正在这里吃晚餐。
Like, I would imagine we were here eating dinner.
你们现在肯定在摩拳擦掌了。
You guys must be licking your chops right now.
比如,这是你们在2022年末大放异彩的时刻。
Like, this is your time to shine here in late twenty twenty two.
嗯,是的。
So Well, yeah.
不过有个前提,我认为某种程度上因为我们处于早期阶段,这意味着什么?
With the caveat that I think we sort of because we're early stage, what does that mean?
它已经移动了。
It's moved.
就其定义而言。
It's in terms of its definition.
我们相信每年都会有公司成立,其价值超过100亿美元,数量虽小但大于零。
We have faith that every year, some number above zero, companies will be founded that are gonna be worth more than $10,000,000,000.
然后大约每两到三年,会发现一家公司价值超过1000亿美元。
And then about every two or three years, a company is gonna be found out that's gonna be worth more than a 100,000,000,000.
而且这似乎与周期无关。
And it seems to be independent of the cycle.
确实,当情况变得有些疯狂时,人们会有点沮丧,但关于成长基金的问题,我会换个角度来回答——我希望我们这个群体(我想我也是其中一员)能为基金设定一个高标准的回报倍数。
So yeah, things get a little crazier when things are and they get a little depressed, but the growth fund thing, I'll come back to answer it a little differently, which is that I would like this group, I guess I'm part of this group, to set a high watermark for a multiple on a fund.
我觉得思考这个问题挺有意思的,能扩大资金规模固然很好,但如果我们有20倍回报的基金,能不能打造出固定50倍回报的基金?
And I think it's kind of fun to think about, okay, it's great you can scale capital, but you know, if we had a 20 x fund, can we get a fixed 50 x fund?
我不确定我们能做到,因为如果我们把更多资金投入后期阶段,实际上是在降低我们的回报率。
I'm not sure we can do that if we start all we're doing when we're investing more money in late stages, we're lowering our returns.
嗯。
Mhmm.
这就是我们正在做的全部。
That's all we're doing.
因为我们的承诺是固定的。
Because our commitment is fixed.
这并不意味着我们会更加投入。
It's not like we're gonna be more committed.
所以可以说我们正在获得更多的现金回报。
So we're you could say we're getting more cash on cash for yeah.
但我们正在降低我们的回报率。
But we're lowering our returns.
而风险投资行业的诀窍在于,将他人和我们的资金与随之而来的合作关系相结合,我认为当你向一家公司注入大笔资金时,相比保持纯粹,这种情况会变得更加复杂。
And the hack of the venture business, is coupling, you know, capital from other people and ourselves with the partnership that it comes with, I think it's a little more inflamed when you're stuffing large sums of money into a company as it gets, you know, as opposed to keeping it pure.
我想说的是,如果这个团队,也许在我离开后,能创造一个新的高峰,那会让我感到骄傲。
And I will say, like, what would make me proud is if this team, maybe after I'm gone, you know, sets a new high watermark.
他们用增长基金是做不到这一点的。
They won't do that with a growth fund.
剩下的部分,你知道,就像是,我们该在意那些现金流吗。
And the rest of it, you know, it's it's like, should we care that's cash flowing on.
是啊。
Yeah.
但我也想知道我们的有限合伙人怎么说。
But I also wanna know what our limited partners say.
没有什么能比得上基准基金。
There's nothing like a benchmark fund.
当它运作良好时,就会为整个行业定下节奏。
And when it works, it sets the pace in the industry.
所以,你知道
And so, you know
就像前几天我和莎拉跟团队用过的一个乔尼·艾维的引述。
And sort of like there's a there's a quote Sarah and I used with a team the other day, the Johnny Ive quote.
对。
Yeah.
对吧?
Right?
比如,你知道什么是专注吗?
Like, you know, what's focus?
我正想说这个。
I was gonna say this.
对吧?
Right?
专注就像是,在某种程度上你身体的每一根骨头都认为某个想法绝妙无比,但你却不去执行。
Like focus is when in some ways every bone in your body thinks an idea is a really good idea, but you don't do it.
是啊。
Yeah.
关键在于学会拒绝。
It's about saying no.
而且这是个不错的想法。
And it's a fine idea.
我认为这并不是说我们对后期阶段没有看法。
We would I think it's not to say we don't have opinions on later stage.
后期阶段附带着一个十亿美元的机会基金,与基准挂钩,
Later stage had a of billion
由同一团队运作,你肯定能获得良好回报。
dollar opportunity fund stapled to benchmark with the same team, you would for sure have good returns.
它将成为业内最优秀的成长型基金之一。
It would be one of the best growth funds in the industry.
嗯,我也这么认为。
Well, I think so.
但这并不意味着我们就要去做。
But that's not if we're gonna do it.
但我认为要保持这种专注力,要知道,周一的讨论和我们共处的时间,是一小时充满流动好奇心的探索,那些处于边缘看似古怪离奇的丰饶想法。
But I think to to be able to have that focus, that, you know, conversation on Monday and our time together on Monday is an hour of roving curiosity of like fertile ideas that are right at the edges that seem weird and bizarre.
至少你得有点怪。
Least you gotta be weird.
别再说'而不是'了,好吧,增长渠道是什么?估值合理吗?
Instead of instead of instead of, okay, what's the growth pipeline and, you know, is that a good valuation?
现在是不是一个合适的入场时机?
Is now a good moment to sort of get in?
而且我认为关键在于
And and I think it's the the focus is
如果我们想实现增长,就必须引入CRM系统。
And we'd have to have a CRM if we did a growth.
是的。
Yeah.
随着
With the
我补充一下,抱歉。
I'll add sorry.
对我们来说,关键在于尽早与创始人建立合作关系,就像董事会层面的那种关系,这也是我们齐聚于此的原因。
Like, that it's you know, for us, it is at the end of, like, the we're all here because we wanna partner with founders as early as possible in that kind of relationship on the board.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。