本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
所以在达美乐披萨股价最低谷时投入一千美元,收益比投资苹果还要高。
So like a thousand dollars put in Domino's at its nadir has a better return than Apple.
哇。
Wow.
达美乐。
Domino's.
我们入错行了。
We're in the wrong business.
是啊。
Yeah.
我知道。
I know.
不过抄底可是个危险的游戏。
Bottom fishing is a dangerous game though.
对啊。
Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah.
欢迎回到第44期《Acquired》,这是一档关于科技公司收购与IPO的播客节目。
Welcome back to episode 44 of Acquired, the podcast about technology acquisitions and IPOs.
我是本·吉尔伯特。
I'm Ben Gilbert.
我是大卫·罗森塔尔。
I'm David Rosenthal.
我们是本期的主持人。
And we are your hosts.
今天应广大听众要求,我们邀请了《互联网历史》播客的主持人布莱恩·麦卡洛,为大家带来一期特别联动节目。
So today, back by popular demand, we've got Brian McCullough of the Internet History podcast on the show for a crossover episode.
感谢你的加入。
So thank you for joining us.
你好啊,布莱恩。
Hello, Brian.
嗨,大家好。
Hi, guys.
广受欢迎?
Popular demand?
你确定吗?
Are you sure?
是的。
Yes.
这期节目是今年比较受欢迎的一期。
This episode was one of the more popular ones of this year.
我们今年做过另一期吗?
Did we do the other one this year?
相信我。
It's it's trust me.
这期绝对是我个人榜单前20名之一,而且我现在已经做了超过150期节目了。
It's it's one it's in my top 20 for sure, and I'm over a 150 episodes at this point.
哇。
Wow.
太棒了。
Sweet.
好吧,你加入了
Well, you are in
我们的顶级
our So top
我认为这种形式的融合让我们三个人都稍微提升了自己的表现,你懂吗?
think that I think the melding of the format sort of, like, makes us all three of us, up our games a little bit, you know?
确实如此,确实如此。
It does, it does.
因为这对我们来说迫使了一些改变。
Think, because it forced a little change for us.
我们在节目开始前就在讨论这个,听众们,戴夫和我一直在讨论我们如何与布莱恩一起为这些节目做研究,但知道他对此有如此清晰的叙述思路,我们基本上就是抛出各种事实,然后可以扮演那种'嘿,等一下,如果这样会怎样'的角色,而不是自己构建叙述框架。
We were just talking about this before the show, but listeners, Dave and I were talking about how we do our research for these episodes with Brian, but knowing that he's got such a clear narrative around it, we sort of just have this spew of facts, and we can sort of play the role of, hey, wait a minute, what about instead of actually structuring the narrative ourselves.
继续聊几句,听众们可能想知道这期节目的主题。大家或许还记得我们上次在第33期讨论Overture被雅虎收购的事,而今天我们要回到2000年左右类似的时间点,聊聊史上最传奇、也可能是最惨烈的失败案例——2000年美国在线与时代华纳的并购案。
Continuing a little bit here about, you guys probably want to know what the episode is about, So listeners may remember the last time we did this, in episode 33 with Overture's acquisition by Yahoo, and today we're going back to kind of a similar time, a little bit before in 2000, and we're going be talking about the legendary, potentially the biggest flop of all time, a legend in the world of M and A, the merger of AOL and Time Warner in 2000.
所以我不确定他们是否会
So I don't know if they'll go
用这个词来形容。
into this the word I would use.
声名狼藉。
Infamous.
臭名昭著,声名狼藉。
Notorious, infamous.
没错。
Yeah.
警示故事,或许以上皆是。
Cautionary tale, maybe all of the above.
那我们直接跳到结尾吧,到时候我们都会说这是史上最糟糕的收购案。
Well, let's just skip to the end, when we all say worst acquisition of all time.
这期节目到此结束。
That's the end of the episode.
谢谢邀请我来参加。
Thanks for having me out.
得给听众节省点时间。
Gotta save the listener some time.
我们将从美国在线的角度来分析这件事。
We're gonna be looking at it from the AOL perspective.
那么这是史上最糟糕的交易,还是精妙绝伦的决策?
So was it the worst of all time or was it brilliant?
我们拭目以待。
We'll find out.
对此我确实有些想法。
Definitely have some thoughts on that.
这次形式有所改变,大卫用悬念吊足听众胃口,让大家听完整个节目。
It's a change in the format where David teases the audience into actually listening to the whole episode.
现在播放夸张的预告片。
Cue campy teaser now.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
听众朋友们,在我们开始之前,我想提一下,我们的Slack社区现在已经有超过900名成员了。
Well, before we get into it, listeners, I wanna mention, we've got a Slack that is over 900 strong now.
如果你喜欢讨论并购、IPO和重大科技新闻,欢迎访问acquired.fm加入我们的Slack社区。
So if you like discussing M and A, IPOs, major tech news that happens, come join us at acquired.fm and, join the Slack.
我们也非常欢迎评价,如果你愿意的话,可以打开苹果播客。
We also love reviews, so if you feel so inclined, pop open Apple Podcasts.
你现在就可以暂停本期节目,去苹果播客给我们评分,这对我们帮助巨大。
You actually can pause this episode right now and go and rate us on Apple Podcasts, and it makes a world of difference.
感谢已经评分的听众,也鼓励更多人未来能参与评分。
So thanks to those of you who have done that and, encourage more to do it in the future.
好的,听众朋友们。
Alright, listeners.
我们下一个赞助商是节目的新朋友——Rippling。
Our next sponsor is a new friend of the show, Rippling.
我先引用他们的投资人信函内容,因为我认为这非常精彩且具有启发性。
I'm just gonna start by quoting their investor letter because I think it is excellent and clarifying.
Rippling的一个核心观点是:大多数商业系统都充满了员工信息。
Rippling's one underlying insight is that most business systems are full of information about employees.
大家都知道HR系统如此,但我们知道HR部门之外也是如此。
Everyone knows that's true for HR systems, but we know that is true beyond the HR department as well.
我们认为员工数据不仅仅是HR部门的专属领域。
We think employee data isn't just the domain of the HR department.
它是商业软件的基本要素,尤其是那些与HR完全无关的商业软件。
It's the fundamental primitive of business software, including, and most especially for business software, well outside of HR.
这是个绝佳的主题陈述。
That is a great thesis statement.
而Rippling正是如此,它是一个基于全新架构构建的全球HR、IT和财务统一平台,与其他任何产品都截然不同。
And Rippling is exactly that, a unified platform for global HR, IT, and finance built on a totally different architecture than anything else.
这就是员工关系图谱。
It's the employee graph.
绝大多数一体化HR系统最初并非真正的一体化。
Most all in one HR systems didn't actually start as all in one.
它们最初只是薪资服务商,后来通过收购拼凑添加新产品。
They started as payroll vendors, then bolted on new products through acquisitions.
在底层架构上,它们只是一堆孤立的工具,通过脆弱的集成勉强拼凑在一起。
Under the hood, they're a patchwork of siloed tools duct taped together with brittle integrations.
每当有变动时,你就得手动更新五个不同系统,或者完成一个20步的检查清单。
Anytime something changes, you're stuck manually updating five different systems or working through a 20 step checklist.
而Rippling从一开始就将系统设计为员工关系图谱。
Ripling instead built their system from day one as the employee graph.
这是一个实时更新的全体员工知识图谱。
It's a real time knowledge graph of your entire workforce.
每位员工、角色、权限、设备、应用、所在地和薪酬方案都完全同步,集中在一个平台。
Every employee, role, permission, device, app, location, and compensation plan, totally in sync and all in one place.
所以当莎拉获得晋升从纽约调往加州时,Rippling会自动更新她的工资税、配置新应用权限、寄送新笔记本电脑、发放新公司信用卡、安排必要的管理培训。
So if Sarah gets promoted and moves to California from New York, Rippling updates her payroll taxes, provisions her new app permissions, ships her a new laptop, issues a new corporate credit card, assigns required manager training, all automatically.
开箱即用提供30多个原生系统。
You get 30 plus native systems out of the box.
人力资源、IT、财务、全球薪资、设备管理、公司卡、账单支付,既可整套使用也能按需选用。
HR, IT, finance, global payroll, device management, corporate cards, bill pay, altogether or a la carte.
原本需要跨四个工具和三个部门的工作流——入职晋升、权限管理、支出审批——现在都能在一个平台自动完成。
So workflows that normally bounce across four different tools and three departments, onboarding promotions, access management, spend approvals, they all just happen in one place automatically.
这就是为什么Rippling客户能用相同团队支持双倍员工规模,也是其能在G2、TrustRadius和Gartner上蝉联人力资本管理套件榜首的原因。
That's why rippling customers can support twice the number of employees with the same team and why they're the number one rated human capital management suite on g two, TrustRadius, and Gartner.
如果您个人、贵司或投资组合公司希望以人为核心,在统一平台上运营业务支柱,请访问Rippling.com/acquired,告知是Ben和David推荐,或直接点击节目说明中的链接。
So if you, your company, or your portfolio companies wanna run the backbone of your business on one unified platform with people at the center, head to Rippling dot com slash acquired and tell them that Ben and David sent you, or just click the link in the show notes.
现在闲话少说,布莱恩,你愿意带我们进入故事环节吗?
Now without any further ado, Brian, would you like to take us into the story?
好的。
Yeah.
美国在线时代华纳,这个互联网泡沫时期臭名昭著的'泰坦尼克号'。
So AOL Time Warner, the notorious Titanic of especially.com era shenanigans.
我们想从美国在线开始讲起,因为正如我做节目时了解到的,特定年龄段的人常对我说:感谢你做美国在线的节目,因为我一直不太明白他们到底是做什么的。
We want to start with AOL because as I've learned by doing my show, people of a certain age have often said to me, thanks for doing episodes on AOL because I kind of never understood what they did.
这我完全理解,因为如果你生活在互联网无处不在的时代,会觉得它不过就是个网络服务提供商。
Which I get because if you're in a time when the internet's all around you, it's in the ether, then, oh, it was just an ISP.
他们凭什么这么值钱?
Why are they so valuable?
他们巅峰时期用户数也才2500万。
They only ever had 25,000,000 subscribers at their height.
这算什么概念?
So what is that?
和脸书这样拥有数十亿用户量的平台怎么比?
How does that compare to having billions of users like Facebook has?
那么我们就从AOL开始,假设AOL在整个90年代可能是最值得购买的股票。
So let's start with AOL and posit that AOL over the course of the '90s was probably the best stock to buy.
如果你能在1992年它首次公开募股时买入,并在2000年元旦卖出,你的股票将增值80,000%。
If you were able to buy at its 1992 IPO and sell New Year's Day in the year 2000, your stock would have appreciated 80,000 percent.
在其巅峰时期,它的市值约为1500亿美元,超过了通用汽车和波音公司的总和。
At its height, its market cap was about $150,000,000,000 which was worth more than General Motors and Boeing combined.
它的价值显然也超过了时代华纳、迪士尼等众多公司。
It was worth more than, obviously, Time Warner, Disney, all sorts of people like that.
据估计,至少有2000名AOL员工因持有公司股票而成为账面百万富翁。
It was estimated that more than 2,000 AOL employees were, on paper at least, made millionaires by AOL stock.
所以你会提到Facebook造就的百万富翁,甚至微软的百万富翁。
So you talk of Facebook millionaires, even Microsoft millionaires.
AOL确实让很多人——至少在账面上——变得非常富有。
AOL made people, a lot of people on paper, really rich.
是的,AOL确实是一家互联网服务提供商。
So AOL, yes, was an ISP.
在我们那个年代,孩子们,互联网可是要付费使用的。
Back in our day kids you used to have to pay for the internet.
而且网速很慢,还不能同时打电话。
And it wasn't fast and you couldn't make a phone call.
不能打电话是因为你得通过固定电话线拨号上网。
You couldn't make a phone call because you had to dial in over your landline.
那时候手机已经有了,但大多数人还没有。
Cell phones existed but most people didn't have them.
AOL巅峰时期拥有2500万用户。
At their height, AOL had 25,000,000 subscribers.
那是2002年,在这次合并之后。
That was 2,002, so after this merger takes place.
但在90年代,他们曾一度占据美国60%的互联网流量。
But they were accounting for, at various times, 60% of US internet traffic in the '90s.
当然还有其他互联网服务提供商,甚至包括独立运营商。
So there were other ISPs, even indie ISPs.
但在90年代还没有电缆调制解调器
But in the 90s there weren't cable modems.
也没有宽带
There wasn't broadband.
我是说有,但大多数人还是拨号上网
I mean there was, but most people dialed in.
而美国在线就是人们主要使用的拨号公司
And AOL was the main company that people dialed in with.
美国在线有着漫长、迷人又曲折的历史,可以追溯到80年代初
AOL has a long, fascinating, tortured history going back to the early '80s.
我做过几期关于美国在线的节目
Again, I have a couple episodes on AOL that
他们经历过几次重大的更名对吧?
They've got some serious name changes, right?
我是说,难道不是
I mean, didn't
Control最初名为Data Corporation。
Control start as Data Corporation.
还有The Source。
There was The Source.
是啊,一个人的战略转型在另一个人看来就是放弃原有业务转投新领域。
Yeah, one man's pivoting is another man's failing at one business and jumping into another.
其实你可以从两个角度看AOL。
And that's actually you can look at AOL in two ways.
要么认为这是最顽强而精彩的企业家故事之一——因为他们基本上连续亏损了十五年,肯定超过十年。
Either it's one of the more tenacious and brilliant entrepreneurial stories because they basically lose money for the better part of fifteen years, certainly more than a decade.
他们追求的是互联网理念,但由于太过超前,不得不等待世界跟上他们的步伐。
And what they're chasing is the idea of online, but they're so soon and so early that they have to wait for the world to catch up to them.
我认为AOL另一个有趣的点在于它不是硅谷公司。
I think the other interesting thing to point out about AOL is it's not a Silicon Valley company.
总部位于弗吉尼亚州的杜勒斯市。
Headquarters is in Dulles, Virginia.
确实如此。
Exactly.
甚至不在纽约,我是说在华盛顿特区附近,但确实如此。
Which isn't even New York or I mean it's DC but so right.
因为AOL正如我们将要讨论的,后来涉足麦迪逊大道、内容创作以及时代华纳,但他们最初甚至不在纽约。
It's not even because AOL as we'll talk about gets into especially Madison Avenue and creating content and Time Warner obviously but they weren't even New York based.
他们当时地处偏远。
They were in the middle of nowhere.
那时候所有人都在抱怨这一点。
And everybody at the time always complained about that.
去杜勒斯就像去西伯利亚一样。
Going to Dulles was like going to Siberia or something.
所以再次强调,我们说的是80年代的情况。
So again, we're going back to the '80s.
直到90年代初,当他们与微软和Windows系统绑定后,才真正跃居行业前列。
It's not till the early '90s when they kind of tie themselves to Microsoft and Windows that they sort of leap to the head of the pack.
这里有一大堆竞争对手。
There's a whole pack here.
有CompuServe。
There's CompuServe.
有Genie。
There's Genie.
有Prodigy。
There's Prodigy.
所有这些。
There's all these.
还有CompuServe。
And CompuServe.
我当年就用CompuServe。
I was on CompuServe.
我父亲是CompuServe和AOL的测试用户,所以我们有免费账号。
So my dad was a beta tester for CompuServe and for AOL, so we just got free accounts.
我记得当时用CompuServe时觉得它更好,但据我了解它只适合网络技术极客,而AOL更擅长触达大众市场。
I remember being on CompuServe and thinking it was better, but my understanding is that it was only for super internet savvy nerds and AOL was much better at reaching the mass market.
你觉得这是不是AOL能胜出的原因?
Does that does that feel like sort of why AOL won there?
百分之百。
A 100%.
AOL有个贬义或轻蔑的绰号叫'互联网训练轮'。
AOL had the derogatory or pejorative name of training wheels for the internet.
但他们实际上接纳了这一点,这很合理。
But they actually embrace that and it makes sense.
我是说,我在节目里说过,很多人的第一个电子邮箱是AOL的,那时候除非你在大学或工作单位之类的地方,否则根本不会有电子邮箱。
I mean, I've said on the show, a lot of people's first email was AOL in a time when you didn't have email unless you were at a college or at work or something like that.
但AOL也教会了人们如何在线上生活。
But also AOL trained people how to live online.
他们给你起了个网名。
They gave you a screen name.
然后你进入了聊天室。
And you went into the chat rooms.
你在里面进行一些色情聊天之类的事情。
And you did dirty sex chat and things like that.
你可以创建一个网络身份。
And you could create an online identity.
这正是我们应该讨论的AOL业务核心。
This is what we should talk about what AOL's business was.
他们最终主要通过让人们接入网络来赚钱,但他们也试图筛选网络内容,打造这种手把手引导用户的在线体验。
They eventually basically made their money by allowing people onto the web but they were also trying to curate the web and create this online experience that would like hand held people into it.
是啊。
Yeah.
我的意思是这真的很神奇,虽然我们在很多方面都在取笑AOL,你知道的,它是一家来自弗吉尼亚州杜勒斯的公司。
I mean it's really amazing like we're kinda making fun of AOL in a lot of ways here for you know being a Dulles, Virginia company.
再次声明对杜勒斯并无偏见,但那里确实不被视为科技中心,然而他们真正开创了许多互联网范式,这些范式如今成就了一些最有价值的公司和产品。
Know again nothing against Dulles, Virginia but not where you think of as a tech hub but they really pioneered a lot of the paradigms of the internet that are some of the most valuable you know companies and products today.
我是说AOL即时通讯工具AIM基本上就是现在的Messenger。
Mean AOL Instant Messenger AIM you know was basically messenger.
我是说AOL在很多方面都像是Facebook之前的Facebook。
I mean AOL was a lot like like Facebook before Facebook.
我们最后记得要提一下这个,因为确实如此。
Let's can we remember to bring that up at the end because actually yeah.
AOL似乎永远都处于资金即将耗尽的边缘。
AOL is always about to run out of money perpetually.
因为在90年代初,他们必须创建一个所谓的‘围墙花园’
Because what they have to do in the early '90s is they create this it's called a walled garden.
于是他们去找时代华纳这样的公司说:嘿,能把《体育画报》的内容授权给我们吗?
So they go to people like Time Warner and they say, hey, can you give us Sports Illustrated content?
他们又去找这家杂志、那家报纸,表示愿意支付数百万美元
They go to this magazine, that newspaper, and say, hey, we'll pay you x millions of dollars.
允许我们在围墙花园里转载你们的文章和图片等内容
Allow us to republish your articles and your pictures and things like that in our walled garden.
因此有很多次他们被这家公司的投资所拯救,保罗·艾伦投入了大量资金,90年代初基本试图接管公司,结果他们用毒丸计划反制了他。
And so there's all sorts of times when they get saved by an investment from this company or Paul Allen invests a lot and basically tries to take him over in the early '90s and they poison pill him.
再次回到这个观点:他们要么不是真正聪明的科技公司,要么就是这些疯狂的奋斗者,他们坚信互联网会成为趋势,并提前布局,当浪潮来临时他们正好乘势而上,对吧?
Again, coming back to this idea that they're either not really a smart tech company or they were these insane scrappers that they held onto this idea that online could be a thing and then positioned themselves that when the tidal wave came, they just wrote it, right?
我之前在播客里讲过为什么Prodigy和CompuServe错失良机,而AOL抓住机会并大获成功。
I've talked again on the podcast before about reasons why Prodigy dropped the ball, CompuServe dropped the ball, AOL picked it up and ran with it.
但本质上你需要知道的是,到1996年左右,AOL已成为主要互联网服务提供商,同时还拥有海量内容资源。你会通过拨号上网接入AOL平台。
But essentially what you need to know is by 1996 essentially, AOL is the primary ISP, but it also has this huge amount of content that is so what you would do is you would dial in and you'd be on AOL.
你不会直接上网
You wouldn't be on the web.
AOL会提供你的电子邮件服务
AOL would give you your email.
他们会再次推送新闻头条,付钱给《纽约时报》提供这类内容
They'd feed you their headlines again paying the New York Times to provide headlines that sort of thing.
如果你想上网,就需要打开浏览器,或者通过他们像访问频道一样上网
And then if you wanted to go to the web then you'd bring up a browser or you'd go through them like it was a channel that you would go to.
所以他们始终在与这个问题角力。
So it was always something that they were sort of wrestling with.
就像他们既想让你留在他们的围墙花园里,又不可避免地成为大多数人接触网络和互联网的第一站,对吧?
Like they wanted you to stay on their in their walled garden, but then they also couldn't help but be most people's first introduction to the web and the internet, right?
他们就这样度过了整个90年代。
And they ride this through the '90s.
然后
And
AOL最终还是内置了浏览器,对吧?
they did eventually have a browser in AOL, right?
是的。
Yeah.
这又是另一个故事了,关于他们如何背叛网景公司与微软达成协议。
That's a whole other story about how they double crossed Netscape and signed a deal with Microsoft.
因为他们收购了一个叫BookLink的浏览器。
Then they had because they had bought a browser called BookLink.
但关键在于,96、97、98年时人们并不精通网络。
But the point is that people aren't sophisticated in 'ninety six, 'ninety seven, 'ninety eight.
在他们看来,美国在线就是互联网的全部。
For all they know, AOL is the internet.
所以当我提到他们对此有所挣扎时,有人形容他们想成为线上体验的嘉年华邮轮公司。
And so when I say that they're sort of wrestling with this, they want to be somebody describes it as they want to be the carnival cruise lines for an online experience.
他们想为你精心策划这一切。
So they want to curate it for you.
但与此同时,现实情况是大多数用户通过AOL上网访问雅虎等网站时,在概念上根本无法区分这两者的区别。
But then at the same time, the reality is that most people getting on the web and doing things like going to Yahoo or whatever are doing it through AOL, and they can't conceptually tell the difference.
我很想把这个话题留到后续的技术主题讨论,但此刻我脑海中不断浮现的只有'捆绑与解绑'这个概念。
I'd love to hold onto this until tech themes later, but over and over and over again, the only thing that I'm thinking is bundling and unbundling.
令人难以置信的是,整个互联网——我们所熟知的各种开放网络、不同协议和平台上的服务——当时全部被捆绑在AOL这个平台里。
It is incredible how the entire internet, everything that we know as sort of the open web, and various different protocols and things on various different platforms are all just bundled within AOL.
而且他们确实,你知道的,在很长一段时间里垄断了这些服务带来的所有收益,直到后来我们才开始逐步解绑成独立的服务平台。
And they were, you know, they were basically making all the revenue for that for for a very long time before, before we started to unbundle it all into these separate services.
AOL的过去还有些有趣的事——他们呈现的形象并非真实面貌,史蒂夫·凯斯穿着卡其裤出现在Gap广告里,塑造着这种健康全美的形象。
Now there's some also interesting things about AOL's past which are not AOL presented this sort of Steve Case and his khakis and Gap ads, this sort of wholesome all American thing.
但他们最初主要通过按小时计费来赚取大部分收入。
But they made most of their money by originally charging by the hour.
多数人当时都在聊天室里互相进行色情对话。
And most people were in the chat rooms doing sexy talk to each other.
所以在幕后,这才是他们真正的盈利方式。
So in the background, that's how they make their money.
但他们还涉及多起会计丑闻,甚至被总检察长起诉。
But also they had a lot of things like accounting scandals where they get sued by even attorneys general.
比如他们未按规定报告——具体细节我记不清了——本该分期确认的销售收入被提前确认了这类事情。
Like you're not reporting I can't even remember the details, but they're reporting certain sales right away even though it should have been over time and things like that.
所以他们一直都有点不守规矩,但你会感觉这些人就像打不死的小强,靠着'网络终将成真'的梦想坚持到梦想成真。
So they kind of always were playing fast and loose, but you can feel like, again, these are scrappers that are staying alive, staying alive with this dream of online becoming a thing until it finally is a thing.
而网络真正成气候基本上就是在96、97年。
And it's essentially 'ninety six, 'ninety seven that it is a thing.
他们一觉醒来就拥有了1000万用户,60%的互联网流量都经由他们的管道传输。
And they wake up and they have 10,000,000 subscribers that 60% of internet traffic is going through their pipes.
在98年还是97年,就有了《电子情书》这部电影。
In 'ninety eight or is it 'ninety seven you have You've Got Mail the Movie.
再次强调,我们怎么强调都不为过——AOL某种程度上是美国拥抱在线网络和互联网的网关。
Again, we cannot underemphasize how much AOL was sort of the gateway for America embracing online and the web and the internet.
他们也在互联网上。
They're also on the web.
他们就像雅虎一样是个门户网站。
They're a portal like Yahoo is.
到2000年时,每五个网络用户中就有四人每月至少访问一次AOL旗下的网站。
By the year 2000, four out of every five web users were visiting an AOL property at least once a month.
到了97、98年,他们开始真正赚大钱了。
And they start to make real money by 'ninety seven, 'ninety eight.
所以再次 当你
So again And when you
说到AOL的资产,那是指网络上的内容,但属于AOL旗下却在其围墙花园之外的?
say an AOL property, that's on the web but something that's on by AOL outside of the AOL walled garden?
你知道吗?
You know what?
我刚查了资料
I pulled that out
从我的笔记里找的,但我其实也不确定。
of my notes, and I don't actually know.
这就是我说的他们在两边下注。
That's what I'm saying is that they're playing both sides of the fence.
我们稍后会讲到,比如他们如何开始真正赚钱。
And we'll get into this, like how they're starting to make real money.
就像他们会向你推销:'来吧,加入我们的AOL围墙花园网站,或者选择我们的aol.com网站'。
Like they would sell you, Okay, be on our AOL walled garden site or be on our aol.com site.
他们有各种东西可以卖。
They had all this stuff to sell.
实际上,我们马上就会讲到这一点。
Actually, we're going to get to that right in a second.
所以在互联网泡沫时期, 美国在线开始真正赚钱,而当时没有人在互联网泡沫0年代真正赚钱。
So AOL starts to make real money in the .com era and no one is making real money in the .com era.
所以这就是他们的股票开始飙升的原因之一。
So that's one of the reasons why their stock starts to go through the roof.
但华尔街看到的另一件事是, 互联网正在兴起,而大多数美国人通过他们的管道上网。
But then the other thing that Wall Street is seeing is like, okay, this internet thing is happening and the majority of Americans are getting online via their pipes.
那么你想怎么做?
So what do you want to do?
这就是你想持有的股票。
That's the stock you want to be in.
知道吗,亨利·布洛杰特有句名言,他说AOL是互联网股票中最蓝筹的蓝筹股。
Know, there's a Henry Blodgett quote where he says AOL is the blue chip blue chipiest of the internet stocks.
而且他们实际上是第一家被纳入标普500指数的互联网公司。
And they're actually they're the first internet company to be included in the S and P 500.
猜猜他们取代了哪家公司?
Guess what company they replaced?
实际上,可能有上百万种可能。
Actually, that could be a million.
是伍尔沃斯公司。
It was Woolworth.
但直到1998年,他们的市值仍不足300亿美元。
But so as late as 1998, they're still under a $30,000,000,000 market cap.
但就像互联网泡沫时代的所有事物一样,短短十八个月内,这个数字就膨胀到了超过1500亿美元,而我们
But then like everything else in the .com era, within eighteen months, that's ballooned above 150,000,000,000 And we've
之前在这个节目里讨论过这个时期,布莱恩你在自己的节目里肯定也讲过,但我觉得值得再次强调——直到1998年,美国在线的市值还不到300亿美元。
talked about this era on this show before and you certainly have on your show Brian but like I think it's worth like again as always just pausing on this like as late as 1998 AOL was worth you know, market cap of under $30,000,000,000.
这在当时已经贵得离谱了。
And that was insanely expensive.
这在当时已经贵得离谱了。
And that was insanely expensive.
然后,你知道,十八个月后,他们收购了时代华纳,合并后的公司估值超过3500亿美元。
And then, you know, eighteen months later, you know, they're buying Time Warner and the combined company is valued over $350,000,000,000.
那个时代就是这么疯狂。
Like that is how crazy that moment in time was.
好吧,让我告诉你华尔街为何如此钟爱美国在线的更多原因。
Well, let me tell you some more reasons why Wall Street was in love with AOL.
他们看到的是,许多分析师称之为‘三条腿的凳子’之类的东西。
What they're looking at is, a lot of analysts call it like a three legged stool or whatever.
所以他们从订阅中获取收入。
So they're getting money from the subscriptions.
我记得到2000年时,他们已经有2000万用户每月支付20美元,对吧?
Again, I think by 2000 they hit 20,000,000 people paying $20 a month, right?
然后他们转型成了一个内容平台。
And then they're a content platform.
早期他们不得不去《纽约时报》谈判,支付200万美元来获取你们的头条新闻。
In the early days when they had to go to New York Times and say, we'll pay you $2,000,000 to get your headlines.
到了97、98年,他们可以对《纽约时报》说:该你们付钱了。
By 'ninety seven, 'ninety eight, they can say to The New York Times, you pay us.
如果你想进入我们的围墙花园,我们拥有用户眼球和流量资源,现在该你付钱给我们了。
If you wanna be in our walled garden, we've got the eyeballs, we've got the real estate, you pay us.
所以他们本质上是一个利润非常丰厚的内容平台。
So they're basically a content platform that's very lucrative.
但关键点在于——这也是整个对话的核心——到97、98年时,他们通过广告赚取了巨额利润。
But the big thing, and this is gonna be key to this whole conversation, is that by 9798 they're making tons of money on advertising.
因为再次强调,那里基本上就是所有人的网络入口。
Because again, they're basically where everybody goes.
就像现在人们起床先刷Facebook那样(你知道的)。
Know, we think of people starting their day on Facebook now or you know, whatever.
那时候你的电子邮件都在AOL上。
So that's where your email was on AOL.
到了98、99年,你的好友列表也全在AOL上。
By 9899, that's where your buddy list was on AOL.
但人们开始在线上开启一天的这个概念,就像AOL那样,某种程度上训练了人们养成这种习惯。
But this whole concept of people starting their day online, like AOL, again, sort of like trained people how to do that.
所以我刚和一位雅虎早期员工录了一期节目。
So I just did an episode with an early Yahoo guy.
这个时期所有的门户网站基本上都是通过向其他互联网公司卖广告来赚钱。
All of the portals in this time period make money essentially by selling ads to other dotcoms.
整个互联网泡沫可以看作是一条蛇在咬自己的尾巴。
The whole .com bubble can be thought of as like just a snake eating its own tail.
但如果你是门户网站之一,那你就是吃肉的。
If you happen to be one of the portals though, you're the one doing the eating.
如果你是这些风投支持的初创企业之一,那你就是被吃的。
If you're one of these venture backed startups, you're the tail.
这太有趣了,我是说,和Facebook的相似之处简直跃然纸上,对吧?
Which is so funny, mean, the parallels to Facebook are just jumping off the page, right?
就在三四年前那个时期,所有人都在说,哦没错,Facebook发现了移动新闻流广告这个神奇法宝,他们主要靠这种新形式来安装应用,而所有这些应用都是由风投资助的初创公司砸钱给Facebook来获取用户。
There was that era, like three, four years ago, where everyone was saying that, Oh yes, Facebook discovered this magical mobile news feed ad, and they're mostly on this new format that's to install apps and all the apps are funded by venture capitalists that are just paying money to startups to pay money to Facebook to get this.
这简直太滑稽了,同样的叙事居然
I mean it's like hilarious how it's the same narrative around
在二十年后又在这家公司上演。
the company two decades later.
让我给你举几个绝妙的例子。
Let me give you some brilliant examples of that.
这里有一家叫drcoop.com的互联网公司。
So here's a .com company called drcoop.com.
C。
C.
埃弗雷特·库普曾是美国卫生局局长。
Everett Koop was the Surgeon General of The United States.
这就是互联网时代疯狂的地方。
This is how crazy the .com era is.
Drcoop.com是一家通过首次公开募股成立的健康网站公司。
Drcoop.com is a company that IPOs to do health, make a health website.
对吧?
Right?
我不知道他们IPO的具体日期。
I don't know the date of their IPO.
可能是98年或99年,肯定是99年,我想。
It's probably '98, '99, definitely '99, I think.
他们通过IPO为网站筹集了8500万美元。
They IPO and raise $85,000,000 for their website.
他们上市一个月后,医生
A month after they debut on the stock market, Doctor.
库普转身基本上花光了所有资金,同意在四年内支付8900万美元给美国在线,为其用户提供健康内容
Koop turns around and basically spends all of that money by agreeing to pay AOL $89,000,000 over four years to provide health content to AOL users.
于是他们把IPO筹集的所有资金,一个月后就转手交给了美国在线
So all of the money they raised on their IPO, they turn around a month later and they hand it over to AOL.
因为当时所有人都认为必须抢占美国在线这个平台
Because everybody thinks that AOL is where you've got to be.
所以在1998、1999年,美国在线开始疯狂敛财。
And so AOL in 'ninety eight, 'ninety nine is starting to ka ching like crazy.
有家长途电话服务商Telesave支付了1亿美元。还有一家叫Preview Travel的公司支付2100万美元成为美国在线的在线旅行社。
There's a company, a long distance phone provider called Telesave that pays $100,000,000 And this is playing off .com's there's a company called Preview Travel that pays $21,000,000 to be AOL's online travel agent.
1-800-Flowers支付2500万美元成为指定花商。
One-eight hundred Flowers pays $25,000,000 to be the florist.
不过我曾采访过Jim McCann,他说这笔交易对他们非常有利。
Although I had Jim McCann on the show and he said that that worked out very well for them.
美国在线能让巴诺书店支付4000万美元成为围墙花园区的图书销售伙伴,而亚马逊只支付1900万美元就能入驻AOL.com门户网站。
But AOL can play off Barnes and Noble who pays $40,000,000 to be the book selling partner in the walled garden section versus Amazon that pays 19,000,000 to be part of the aol.com web portal.
eBay豪掷7500万美元成为独家拍卖服务商。
EBay ponies up $75,000,000 to be the exclusive auction provider.
这种模式对各方都算各得其所。
And it kind of works out for everybody.
就像当科博士...
Like when Doctor.
Coop公司的交易宣布后,其股票一天内实际暴涨56%。
Coop's deal is announced, its stock actually leaps 56% in a day.
这就是互联网泡沫时代,朋友。
This is the .com era, friend.
但所有人都认为他们必须出现在AOL上,就像大家都觉得必须在雅虎或其他平台上打广告一样。
But everyone believes that they have to be on AOL, just like everyone believes you've got to advertise on Yahoo or whatever.
所以AOL处于这种躺着赚钱的境地。
So AOL's in this position just start banking money.
突然间,他们开始盈利了,这是多年来从未有过的,而且是数十亿美元的重大利润。
Like all of a sudden, they're turning a profit where they hadn't for years, and they're meaningful profit at billions and billions of dollars.
这个时代背后的关键人物是鲍勃·皮特曼,不知道这个名字对你们来说是否耳熟。
The guy behind this era is Bob Pittman, who I don't know if that name rings a bell to you guys.
他是MTV的创始成员之一。
He was one of the original founders of MTV.
他因作为美国在线这台交易机器背后的强力推手而声名大噪。
He became very famous for being the hard driving guy behind this AOL deal making machine.
他当时是他们的首席运营官。
He he was their COO.
对吧?
Right?
我想是的。
I think so.
没错。
Right.
我们稍后会谈到他,在那笔交易失败之后。
We'll get to him later after the deal the deal falls apart.
在内部,他带领的那支四处奔走为这些.com公司敲定交易的团队被称为'狩猎采集者',因为他们'像清道夫一样扑向.com公司,开出对方无法拒绝的条件'。
Internally, his team of guys that we go around and shake the trees for these .com deals were called the hunter gatherers because they, quote, descended on the .coms like scavengers and made them offers they couldn't refuse.
有家匿名.com公司曾形容这就像高压销售,完全是锅炉房式的操作。
And there's a quote where an anonymous.com company says that it was like high pressure, just boiler room type stuff.
引用原话就是'连续几周都在说你们很棒,你们很棒,你们很棒'。
Quote for weeks it was, you're great, you're great, you're great.
我们想和你们合作。
We want to do business with you.
然后突然有一天,我们不得不把银行里最后一分钱和公司20%的股份都给他们。
And then one day it turns out that we have to give them every last dollar we had in the bank and 20% of our company.
另一家互联网公司表示,AOL要求他们公司30%的股份,引用原话'然后为了保险起见,他们告诉我们这就是条件'。
Another dot commerce says that AOL demanded 30% of her company quote and then for good measure they tell us these are our terms.
你们有24小时考虑时间。
You have twenty four hours to respond.
如果不接受,那就去你的吧。
And if you don't, screw you.
我们会去找你们的竞争对手。
We're going to go to your competitor.
听着,那是个疯狂的时代。
So listen, these are crazy times.
对AOL来说那是个暴利的时代。
These are fat times for AOL.
我想再次强调AOL的文化理念——他们是一群斗士,为了生存不惜一切代价。
Again, I want to bring up this idea of culture and AOL being scrappers and doing whatever it takes to stay alive.
那么为什么当他们突然占据优势地位时就停手了呢?
So why do they stop when all of a sudden they're like in the catbird seat?
他们似乎是这个新兴互联网经济的核心枢纽。
They seem to be the nexus of this new internet economy.
而鲍勃·皮特曼带领的交易团队,本质上推动了让华尔街为之疯狂的关键因素。
And Bob Pittman's army of dealmakers basically drive what is essentially the thing that really makes Wall Street go nuts.
我们稍后再详细讨论这个问题。
So we're going get into this again later.
但大家都认为AOL的衰落是因为人们不再使用拨号上网或为此付费,转而使用宽带之类的服务。
But everyone thinks that the AOL went away because people stopped doing dial up or paying for dial up, they moved to broadband and things like that.
但实际上我们会看到,真正导致交易失败、AOL股价暴跌的原因在于,推动其股价飙升的正是广告业务的疯狂增长。
But the thing that we'll see actually has the deal sort of collapse and AOL stock price collapse and things like that is the fact that what made their stock appreciate so much was that they had this insane growth in advertising.
而这正是他们主要的收入来源。
And that's where the money was coming from.
这才是实际现金流的真正来源。
That's where the actual cash flow was coming from.
当然,订阅收入带来的经常性收入作为背景支撑很好,但这并不是华尔街青睐他们的真正原因。
Sure it's great to have in the background this recurring revenue of the subscription revenue but that's not what was actually moving the needle in terms of why Wall Street loves them.
没错。
Yep.
正是他们与所有这些.com初创公司达成的交易,让这些公司把资金都给了他们。
It was all of these all of these deals they were doing with all these .com startups that were giving them all of their money.
没错。
Exactly.
好的,听众朋友们。
Alright listeners.
现在该聊聊我们另一家最爱的公司Statsig了。
It's time to talk about another one of our favorite companies, Statsig.
自从上次我们聊过Statsig后,他们有了非常令人兴奋的新进展。
Since you last heard from us about Statsig, they have a very exciting update.
他们完成了C轮融资,估值达到11亿美元。
They raised their series c, valuing them at $1,100,000,000.
是啊。
Yeah.
重大里程碑。
Huge milestone.
恭喜团队。
Congrats to the team.
时机很有意思,因为实验领域确实正在升温。
And timing is interesting because the experimentation space is, really heating up.
是的。
Yes.
那么为什么投资者对Statsig的估值超过10亿美元?
So why do investors value stat seg at over $1,000,000,000?
这是因为实验已成为全球顶尖产品团队产品栈中的关键部分。
It's because experimentation has become a critical part of the product stack for the world's best product teams.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
是的。
Yep.
这一趋势始于Web 2.0时代的公司,如Facebook、Netflix和Airbnb。
This trend started with web 2 dot o companies like Facebook and Netflix and Airbnb.
这些公司面临着一个问题。
Those companies faced a problem.
如何在员工规模扩张至数千人时,仍能保持快速、去中心化的产品与工程文化?
How do you maintain a fast, decentralized product and engineering culture while also scaling up to thousands of employees?
实验系统是这个答案的重要组成部分。
Experimentation systems were a huge part of that answer.
这些系统让这些公司的每个人都能获取全球范围内的产品指标,从页面浏览量到观看时长再到性能表现。
These systems gave everyone at those companies access to a global set of product metrics, from page views to watch time to performance.
每当团队发布新功能或产品时,他们都能衡量该功能对这些指标的影响。
And then every time a team released a new feature or product, they could measure the impact of that feature on those metrics.
因此Facebook可以设定一个公司级目标,比如增加应用使用时长,然后让各个团队自行探索实现方法。
So Facebook could set a company wide goal like increasing time in app and let individual teams go and figure out how to achieve it.
将这种做法推广到数千名工程师和产品经理中,就能实现指数级增长。
Multiply this across thousands of engineers and PMs, and boom, you get exponential growth.
难怪实验现在被视为必不可少的基础设施。
It's no wonder that experimentation is now seen as essential infrastructure.
是的。
Yep.
如今最优秀的产品团队,如Notion、OpenAI、Rippling和Figma,同样依赖实验。
Today's best product teams like Notion, OpenAI, Rippling, and Figma are equally reliant on experimentation.
但他们不再自行构建,而是直接使用Statsig。
But instead of building it in house, they just use Statsig.
而且他们不仅将Statsig用于实验。
And they don't just use Statsig for experimentation.
过去几年里,Statsig已添加了快速产品团队所需的所有工具,如功能开关、产品分析、会话回放等。
Over the last few years, Statsig has added all the tools that fast product teams need, like feature flags, product analytics, session replays, and more.
如果你想帮助团队的工程师和产品经理找到如何更快构建和做出更明智决策的方法,请访问statsig.com/acquired,或点击节目说明中的链接。
So if you would like to help your team's engineers and PMs figure out how to build faster and make smarter decisions, go to statsig.com/acquired, or click the link in the show notes.
他们提供非常慷慨的免费套餐、5万美元的初创企业计划,以及面向大公司的实惠企业合约。
They have a super generous free tier, a $50,000 startup program, and affordable enterprise contracts for large companies.
只要告诉他们是本和大卫推荐你来的。
Just tell them that Ben and David sent you.
有趣的是,这里有个转折点,因为他们与这些互联网公司做了大量交易,某种程度上能敏锐感知市场动向,可以最早察觉到资金开始枯竭的迹象——风投资金减少、IPO频频失败。
Well, interestingly enough to transition here, because they're doing all these deals with these .com companies, they have sort of their ears to the ground, and they can start to see when the money starts to dry up, VC money starts to dry up, IPOs start to go bust.
他们比任何人都更早意识到:听着,这个泡沫可能要破裂了。
They're the ones that know before anybody else that, listen, this bubble might be bursting.
那么从宏观经济角度来看,大卫,你可能更了解这方面情况。
And so And so what from like a sort of macroeconomic perspective, why are the David, you may actually know more about this.
比如,风投机构是否正在停止对该领域的投资?
Like, are the VCs ceasing to invest there?
那让他们停止投资的信号是什么?
So what's the signal to them to stop?
这很难说。
It's hard to say.
还是那句话,因为我们讨论的时间跨度实在太短了。
Again, because we're talking about such compressed timeframes here.
如果要我猜测的话,我认为可能是大量资金涌入系统却没有实际回报,所以开始触及资金池的底部了。
If I were to speculate, I think it's probably just that so much money had gone into the system without real returns and so you start getting to the bottom of the barrel.
嗯,其实就是这样。
Well actually that's it.
他们获得了巨额回报。
They got great returns.
再说一次,我手头没有其他资料,他们...
Again there's other things I don't have in front of me They're
超高回报。
super returns.
对,对,对。
Right, right, right.
但你看,对他们来说这无所谓,因为任何项目都能在一段时间内上市。
But see, them it doesn't matter because anything can IPO for a certain amount of time.
对吧?
Right?
所以一旦过了锁定期,你甚至可以把真正的垃圾公司上市,这都无所谓。
And so once you get past the lockup period, you can take actual garbage public and it doesn't matter.
对吧?
Right?
是啊。
Yeah.
我更多是从有限合伙人的角度来思考。
Was I thinking more from the limited partner perspective.
没错。
Yeah.
但你说的完全正确。
But what you said is exactly it.
当他们把垃圾公司上市时,最终所有东西都会变成垃圾。
Is that when they are taking garbage public, eventually everything is garbage.
已经有足够多的人变得足够富有和安逸,他们会想,你知道吗?
And enough people have kind of gotten rich enough and fat enough that they're like, know what?
这次我要袖手旁观了。
I'm gonna sit these out.
第七家宠物初创公司上市,这次我不参与了。
The seventh pets start up, I'm gonna sit this one out.
所以我的个人理论认为就是这样。
And so in my personal theory is that that was it.
同时也因为人们意识到在线广告的回报率不佳。
It's also a combination of people realizing that the returns on online advertising were not good.
点击率正在暴跌。
The click through rates are plummeting.
这一直是支撑广告费率的基础,就像是海洋中的浮游生物之类的。
So the actual that's always been such an underpinning of things like ad rates underpinning it's sort of like the plankton in the sea or whatever.
是啊。
Yeah.
嗯,我想这也是个关键点。
Well I guess that's a key point too.
我是说,我需要回头再讨论这个。
Mean I need to come back to it.
我确信这也起了很大作用——这些获得风投甚至上市的公司,把资金都投给了美国在线、雅虎等门户网站,期望能带来巨大点击量和收入。当预期落空时,它们就破产了,再没有资金继续投入。
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it too is these companies that have been venture funded and then even IPO ed had given all their money to AOL and Yahoo and other portals and with expectation that that would drive huge clicks and huge revenue and then when it doesn't then they go bankrupt and then there's no more money to feed into
还有1999年的超级碗,我记得当时有30家公司...也可能是2000家。
the Well there's also it's the nineteen ninety nine Super Bowl when I think there were 30 companies or maybe it was 2,000.
更合理的数字应该是2000家公司,每家支付200万美元买一个超级碗广告位。
It makes more sense that it was 2,000 that are paying $2,000,000 apiece for your one Super Bowl ad.
这对某些公司确实有效,比如著名的Hotjobs。
And that worked out for certain companies like Hotjobs famously.
但其他公司从此销声匿迹。
But then others you've never heard of again.
它们把融资1000万美元中的200万就这么烧光了。
And they blow their $2,000,000 of the $10,000,000 that they raised.
听着,它被称为狂热是有原因的。
And listen, there's a reason why it's called a mania.
派对后第二天会宿醉也是有原因的,因为你做了些疯狂的事。
There's a reason why after a party you have a hangover the next day because you did some crazy stuff.
但那就是那个时代。
But that was the times.
所以回到这个话题,正如我所说,他们比任何人都更早知晓,因为他们能亲眼目睹这一切。
So to come back to this, as I said, they know before anyone else because they can see this.
他们能看到,好吧,听着,医生。
They can see, well, listen, Doctor.
库普不会再进行新一轮融资了。
Coop's not going to raise another round.
所以当这笔交易三年后到期时,我们上哪儿再找个医生来?
So when that deal is up in three years or whatever it is, where are we going to get another Doctor.
库普?
Coop?
对吧?
Right?
所以早在...我想停下来提一下,有三本关于这个的好书。
So as early as and want to stop and mention there's three great books on this.
关于一个互联网时代的事物能有这么多书出版是很不寻常的。
It's unusual that there's been this many books written about a .com era thing.
有卡拉·斯威舍的《这里面肯定有小马驹》。
There's Kara Swisher's book, There Must Be a Pony in Here Somewhere.
有尼娜·蒙克的《愚人争先》。
There's Fools Rush In by Nina Monk.
还有亚历克斯·克莱恩的《偷走时间》。
And there's also Stealing Time by Alex Klein.
在其中一本书里,你能看到后来其他诉讼案件中的内部备忘录引文。
So in one of those, you can see and there's quotes from internal memos after other later lawsuits.
早在98年12月,内部邮件就显示史蒂夫·凯斯、皮特曼和其他高管们已经在讨论需要开始考虑一个安全的'睡莲叶'来让公司着陆,因为他们预见到泡沫即将破裂。
As early as December '8, internal emails show that Steve Case and Pittman and the other lieutenants are kicking around the idea that they need to start thinking about a safe lily pad to kind of land this company on because they're seeing the bubble bursting.
这是1998年12月8日。
So this is 'ninety eight, December '8.
但距离泡沫真正破裂还有18个月。
But so it's still another eighteen months before the bubble actually bursts.
所以他们考虑其他互联网公司。
So they think about other internet companies.
我们稍后会详细讨论这个。
And we'll get into this later.
但他们认真考虑过收购eBay。
But they seriously consider eBay.
但Case总体上很谨慎。
But Case was generally sorry.
继续。
Ahead.
他们不是真的让梅格·惠特曼在某个房间里等着吗?
Didn't they like actually have Meg Whitman like waiting in a room or something?
我会讲那个故事的。
I'll I'll tell that story.
好的。
Okay.
史蒂夫·凯斯对再次投资互联网公司持谨慎态度,因为从战略角度看,如果你认为泡沫即将破裂,为什么还要再投一家互联网公司呢?
The case Steve Case was wary of doubling down on another internet company because that makes sense strategically if you think the bubble's gonna burst, why do another internet company?
两个锚彼此相连。
Two anchors tied to one another.
是的。
Yeah.
他们只会更快地沉沦。
They're just gonna sink faster.
所以他说的意思是让我们把目光放远到互联网之外,引用原话'寻找那些对人们获取信息、相互交流方式有深远影响的公司',这是我们的核心业务,副产品,娱乐等等。
So he says something like let's look beyond the internet and quote identify companies that have a profound impact on how people get information, communicate with others, which is our core business, byproducts, R entertain, etcetera.
所以当时与AT&T有过重要的追求阶段,就是合并前的AT&T。
So there's major courtships with AT and T, the pre singular merger AT and T.
迪士尼,他们曾极力争取迪士尼,但显然迈克尔·艾斯纳坚决反对。
Disney, they went hard at Disney, but apparently Michael Eisner was a hard no.
引述内容,我记得这是斯威舍书中的原话。
And the quote, I think this is from Swisher's book.
一位AOL高管说:'我们都知道自己是在借来的时间里生存,必须利用那庞大的股票市值收购些实质性的资产。'
One of the AOL guys says, we all knew we were living on borrowed time, and we had to buy something of substance by using that huge currency.
我们没用'泡沫'这个词,但确实讨论过即将到来的'核冬天'。
We didn't use the term bubble, but we did talk about a coming nuclear winter.
他们的问题之一在于也清楚拨号上网是项有限技术,终将被宽带取代。
Well, one of their problems is that they also know that dial up is a limited technology that's going to be eclipsed by broadband.
再说一次,他们并非愚蠢,只是可能不如硅谷公司那样拥有强大的技术团队。
Again, they're not stupid as much as they're not maybe a Silicon Valley company, huge technologist.
他们知道宽带时代终将到来,无论是通过DSL(当时人们认为这会成为主流)还是主要通过有线调制解调器。
They know that broadband is coming either through DSL, which people thought would be a thing at the time, but mainly cable modems.
因此经过大量思考后,他们认为应该收购一家有线电视公司。
So a lot of thinking went into we should get a cable company.
这大概就是他们当时与AT&T谈判的原因。
Or that's probably why they were talking to AT and T.
AT&T当时拥有DSL业务。
AT and T had DSL at the time.
卡拉·斯威舍书中的另一段匿名AOL人士的话说:有线电视是一切的核心驱动力。
Another quote from Kara Swisher's book is anonymous AOL guy says, Cable was the driver of everything.
没有有线电视,任何交易都毫无意义。
Without it, no deal made sense.
因此时代华纳是当时最大的媒体公司。
So Time Warner is the biggest of the media companies at this point in time.
而且他们还拥有一个叫时代华纳有线的小业务。
Also, they have a little thing called Time Warner Cable.
所以如果史蒂夫·凯斯不想做互联网联盟,他想要的是更具实质性的东西。
So if Steve Case doesn't want to do an internet tie up, he wants something that has more substance.
虽然他们本可以这么做,但没人会相信他们决定收购石油公司之类的企业。
No one's gonna believe if they decide they're gonna buy an oil company or something like that, though they could have.
他们当时的市值基本上可以买下任何公司。
They had the market cap to basically buy anything at that point.
所以他相信时代华纳拥有内容资源。
So what he believes is Time Warner has the content.
别忘了,他们花了十年时间坚信内容才是让网络走向主流的关键。
And remember, they spent a decade believing that content was the thing that would make online become mainstream, become a thing.
所以,你知道,内容才是王道。
And so it's, you know, content is key.
过去几十年里我们听过多少次这种说法了?
How many times have we heard that over the decades?
时代华纳拥有这些可以追溯数百年的顶级优质内容资源。
Time Warner has this, you know, Tiffany platinum content going back hundreds of years.
顺便说一句,他们还拥有一家有线电视公司。
And by the way, they have a cable company.
我记得当时应该是第三大,也可能是第二大。
I think it was the third largest, maybe the second largest at the time.
我在这里要插一句,讲讲杰瑞·莱文和时代华纳的故事。
So I'm gonna take an aside here and tell you the story of Jerry Levin and Time Warner.
杰瑞·莱文作为当时时代华纳的CEO,是靠技术起家的。
Jerry Levin, the CEO of Time Warner at this point, made his bones through technology.
严格来说HBO不是他发明的,创意也不是他提出的,但正是他制定了'通过卫星电视传输付费频道'这一战略。
He basically he didn't invent HBO, didn't come up with the idea, but he was the guy behind the strategy of let's deliver this pay channel via satellite TV.
他凭借HBO的巨大成功声名鹊起,在公司内步步高升。
He makes his name, rises up through the ranks via the incredible success of HBO.
正因为如此,杰瑞·莱文对技术深信不疑。
Jerry Levin believed in technology because of that.
事实上,他在公司任职的几十年间,始终致力于推动技术进步,坚信未来技术将以难以想象的新方式传递内容和媒体。
And in fact, over the several decades at the company, he continued to try to pioneer technological advances believing that there's untold new ways in the future that technology is going to be able to deliver content and media and things like that.
他们在奥兰多投资了全服务网络,这是在互联网兴起前的尝试,想实现所谓的'500个频道'和用遥控器通过电视购物等功能。
They invest in the full service network in Orlando, which was sort of an attempt before the web took off to sort of do what they called 500 channels and shopping with your remote through your TV and things like that.
在收购华纳之前,时代公司当时在这个项目上投入了约10亿美元。
Time it was time at the time before they bought Warner spent about $1,000,000,000 on that.
当互联网兴起时,他们还投资了一个名为Pathfinder的网站,投入了数亿美元。
They also when the web comes around, there is a site called Pathfinder that they throw several $100,000,000 after.
我的播客有一期专门讲Pathfinder的故事,因为它已被历史遗忘,但它作为网络媒体传播先驱的种种尝试值得被铭记。
I have a lovely episode of my podcast about Pathfinder because it's gone down the memory hole, it deserves to be remembered for all of the things that it pioneered in terms of trying to deliver media on the web.
不过这个项目也让他们损失惨重。
But it also lost them a ton of money.
就在这一时期,美国企业界流行起一个口号。
Around this time, corporate America, there's a watchword.
每个人都需要一个互联网战略。
Everyone needs an internet strategy.
你知道,迪士尼有Go网络。
You know, Disney does the Go network.
当时有NBCi。
There was NBCi.
当时有所有这些举措。
There was all these initiatives.
如果你是媒体公司,你会尝试任何可能的手段。
If you're a media company, you're trying anything you can do.
巴里·迪勒试图收购Lycos还是AltaVista来着?
Barry Diller tries to buy Lycos or was it AltaVista?
我记不清了。
I can't remember.
所有人都认为你会被'亚马逊化'。
Everyone thinks that you're gonna be Amazoned.
你必须想出办法来拥抱互联网和网络,或者对抗它,或者采取其他措施。
You've gotta come up with a way to either embrace the internet and the web or combat it or something.
所以你有杰瑞·莱文,他一直相信技术将改变内容和媒体。
So you have Jerry Levin who's always believed in technology is gonna change content and media.
时代华纳一次又一次地未能制定出互联网战略。
Time Warner has failed time and time again to come up with an internet strategy.
因此在1999年,当中华人民共和国庆祝五十周年之际,所有政界和商界领袖基本上都在那段时间聚集在北京,就像达沃斯论坛一样。
And so in 1999, when the People's Republic Of China is having its fiftieth anniversary and and all of the, the politicians and business leaders it's basically Davos and Beijing for that period of time.
所有人都在北京庆祝中华人民共和国成立五十周年。
Everyone's in Beijing celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the People's Republic Of China.
而史蒂夫·凯斯开始认真追求杰瑞·莱文。
And Steve Case starts to seriously court Jerry Levin.
杰瑞·莱文认为这太棒了。
Jerry Levin thinks this is great.
这将解决他的问题,证明他是对的——如果他能将世界上最伟大的媒体公司与公认最伟大的互联网公司联姻,他关于技术改变媒体的愿景就会实现。
This is gonna solve his it's gonna prove him right, that that if he can marry the greatest media company in the world to what everyone believes is the greatest internet company, his vision of technology changing media will come true.
这将是他留下的遗产。
This is going be his legacy.
在各种书籍中都有记载,这是一段复杂的追求过程。
There's in the various books, it's a complex courtship.
我认为这就是eBay介入的地方。
This is where I believe the eBay thing comes in.
我的理论是他们继续与eBay谈判,是为了将其作为幌子。
My theory is that they kept talking to eBay because they were using it as a stalking horse.
实际上,我要在这里翻开卡拉·斯威舍的书。
Like, actually, I'm going to open up the Kara Swisher book here.
就在宣布与时代华纳合并交易的前一周,甚至可能是前一天。
The week before and might even be the day before they actually announced the merger, the deal with Time Warner.
梅格·惠特曼和高盛团队的人正在美国在线总部,他们在一间会议室里。
Meg Whitman and and their Goldman Sachs people are at AOL headquarters and they're in one conference room.
这是主会议室,他们正试图敲定一项交易,让美国在线收购eBay。而在楼层另一端的马里布会议室里,时代华纳及其律师团队正在推进最终将达成的交易。
This is the main conference room trying to work out a deal so that AOL is gonna buy eBay In what's called the Malibu Room on the opposite end of the floor is Time Warner and their lawyers, and they're working on the deal that's eventually going to go through.
这场景颇具喜剧色彩。
So it's a comical scene.
这是引用斯威舍的话。
This is quoting Switcher.
高管们进进出出,时而向惠特曼和她的团队道歉,时而又对他们置之不理,而他们只能干坐着等待,困惑不已,完全搞不清楚状况。
Executives are shuffling in and out, alternatively apologizing to and ignoring Whitman and her team who are sitting there cooling their heels wondering what they're not quite sure what's going on.
AOL就是这样运作的吗?
Is this just the way AOL works?
他们以时而极度善变、时而咄咄逼人著称,几乎算是一种消极攻击性。
They're famously flaky and aggressive at various times, like sort of passive aggressive almost.
就这样在那里耗了一整天,什么事都没做成,律师们不断冲出房间消失不见。
And so spending a day there where nothing really gets done and lawyers are running out of the room and disappearing.
他们到底去哪了?
Where are they going?
他们其实也不清楚。
They don't really know.
他们不知道时代华纳的人就在隔壁房间。
They don't know that Time Warner's in the other room.
所以当天结束时,惠特曼和她的团队准备离开。
So at the end of the day, Whitman and the team is leaving.
她走进皮特曼的办公室道别,说了句原话:‘你们这儿看起来挺忙啊’。
She goes into Pittman's office to say goodbye, and she says, quote, you've got a lot going on here, it seems.
当然,她当时完全被蒙在鼓里。
And of course, she had no idea.
我记得是在第二天他们宣布了与时代华纳的交易。
I think it's the next day that they announced the Time Warner thing.
不过,是的,这基本上完全是个题外话。
But so, yeah, they basically now this is this is definitely an aside.
如果他们当时完成了与eBay的交易会怎样?
What if they had done the eBay deal?
因为eBay比所有公司都更好地度过了互联网泡沫危机。
Because eBay survived the .com bus better than everybody.
很大程度上要归功于PayPal,当然这是后来的事了。
Well, and in large part due to because of PayPal, which of course came later.
那么反事实就是——如果AOL当时足够明智,允许收购PayPal会怎样?
And then that's the counterfactual would if if if would AOL have been smart enough to have allowed the PayPal acquisition?
但如果你看看eBay的股价,它虽然有所下跌,但随后就达到了历史高点。
But but if you look if you look at eBay stock, it basically it goes down some, but then it reaches its height.
大约在2003、2004年时,它就超过了互联网泡沫时期的高点。
It surpasses its .com bubble height in like 2003, 2004.
这就像是唯一一支在亚马逊跌到5美元左右时还能保持的股票,因为eBay的业务基本上从未下滑过。
It's like the only stock that does like in a time period when Amazon's down to like $5 because eBay's business basically never dipped.
所以事后看来,我们会发现收购eBay才是正确的选择。
They so in retrospect, which we'll get into buying eBay was the way to go.
他们本应该选择一家互联网公司。
They should have gone with a with an internet company.
我要把这个观点保存下来。
So I'm gonna save this.
我会在科技主题中再讨论这个。
I'm gonna come back in tech themes.
这是我的科技主题,不过你知道的,关于这点我之后还会说更多。
This is my tech theme here but you know this is well I'm gonna say much more on this later.
可以说eBay确实是比时代华纳更适合互联网的企业。
Suffice to say that you know eBay was the much better business for the Internet certainly than Time Warner.
好吧,信不信由你们,我要结束这个话题了。
Well, believe it or not, guys, I'm gonna wrap this up.
我...我们开始吧。
I'm I'm let's let's let's do it.
我保证二十分钟内完成。
The the the I promise twenty minutes.
现在已经远远超过这个时间了。
I'm way beyond that at at this point.
交易宣布于2000年1月10日。
The deal is announced 01/10/2000.
这是价值1640亿美元的美国在线与830亿美元的时代华纳合并。
It's the merger of a $164,000,000,000 AOL with $83,000,000,000 Time Warner.
虽然宣布为合并,但实际上美国在线股东持有合并后公司56%股份,时代华纳股东占44%。
The the deal it's announced as a merger, but the reality is is AOL shareholders controlled 56% of the merged company and Time Warner shareholders 44%.
所以这实质上就是一场收购。
So it's an acquisition in all but name.
我至今仍清晰记得这件事的发生。
And I actually remember very vividly this happening.
在我的记忆中,我忘了去查这个。
And in my memory, I forgot to look this up.
Jerry Levin Levin和和Steve Case那天晚上上了Charlie Rose的节目。
Jerry Levin and Steve Case are on Charlie Rose that night.
他们是
They were
无处不在。
everywhere.
查理·罗斯。
Charlie Rose.
那是史蒂夫
That's Steve
凯斯曾誓言,美国在线时代华纳有朝一日将实现1000亿美元的收入。
Case vowed that one day AOL Time Warner would have $100,000,000,000 in revenue.
将成为全球首家市值达到万亿美元的公司。
Would be the world's first trillion dollar market cap company.
风险投资家罗杰·麦克纳米有句名言,他说:'让我们把话说清楚。'
There's a quote from Roger McNamee, the venture capitalist who says, quote, let's be clear.
这是我职业生涯中见过最具变革性的单一事件。
This is the single most transformative event I've ever seen in my career.
卡拉·斯威舍在她的书中引用道:'通过这一重大举措,两家公司似乎都弥补了各自的短板,同时放大了优势。'
Kara Swisher has a quote from her book where she says, In one major move, the two companies had seemingly addressed both of their weaknesses and intensified their strengths.
我不否认我当时确实相信这点,许多人也一样——尽管现在他们中的多数都假装从未这么认为过。
I won't deny that I really believe that, as did many others, many of whom now pretend they never did.
所以,我是说,这是2000年1月。
So, I mean, this is January 2000.
这是泡沫的巅峰时期。
This is the height of the bubble.
与此同时发生的还有微软反垄断案的审判即将结束。
What's also happening around this time, the Microsoft antitrust trial has come to an end.
看起来微软即将被拆分。
It looks like Microsoft's about to be broken up.
谁看起来像是科技界的新王者?
Who looks like is the new king of the technology hill?
偏偏是美国在线(AOL)。
It's AOL of all people.
事情是这样的,这笔交易在2000年1月宣布。
What happens is so the deal is announced in January 2000.
四天后,道琼斯工业平均指数达到峰值,此后六年多都未能重返这一水平。
Four days later, the Dow Jones Industrial Average peaks at a level that it would not return to for more than six years.
2000年3月10日,纳斯达克指数达到峰值,这一高点直到2015年3月才再次触及,期间最低点时市值蒸发了80%。
On 03/10/2000, the NASDAQ peaks at a level that it would not reach again until March 2015, losing 80% of its value at its low.
泡沫破裂了。
The bubble bursts.
我们稍后会从文化层面探讨为何这次收购是一场灾难。
And we'll get into why the culturally why the acquisition was a disaster.
这场合并就是一场灾难。
The merger was a disaster.
但事实并非是人们不再使用拨号上网了。
But again, the reality of it is not that people stopped doing dial up.
实际上,直到2002年,拨号上网的用户数量仍在增长。
Actually, until 2002, the dial up subscriptions were still growing.
最高峰时达到了2670万用户。
It peaked at 26,700,000.0.
真正扼杀这笔交易的是,一旦合并发生,AOL与那些.com公司签订的所有协议都立即消失、蒸发了。
The thing that kills this deal is that as soon as it happens, all of those deals that AOL did with the .com companies disappear, evaporate.
我不仅仅是指那些三年期合同到期了。
And I'm not just saying that the three year deal runs out.
我的意思是那些公司已经破产,不会再给你们寄支票了。
I'm saying that the companies are bankrupt and are not going to be sending you any more checks.
所以本质上,那些让华尔街如此兴奋的广告收入疯狂增长。
So essentially that insane growth in advertising that had so excited Wall Street.
华尔街曾一度预测,到2003年AOL的广告收入将超过ABC或CBS这样的电视网络。
At some point Wall Street was estimating that AOL by 2003 would have more advertising revenue than an ABC or a CBS in television.
他们觉得这就是未来。
Like, they're thinking this is it.
这就是下一个大事件。
This is the next big thing.
几乎从交易达成的那一刻起就消失了。
Goes away almost from the moment that the deal happens.
从文化角度来说,我不知道这有多有趣,但那些AOL的牛仔们入驻了。
Culturally, you know, I don't know how interesting this is, but, you know, those AOL cowboys move in.
他们试图告诉时代华纳的人,好吧
They try to tell the Time Warner guys, you know, okay.
我们现在要像科技公司那样运营
We're gonna run this like a tech company now.
这就像宿主身体排斥移植器官一样
And it's like the host body rejecting an organ.
时代华纳一直以内部派系林立著称,比如我管杂志部门,你管有线电视,他管图书出版
Time Warner was always notorious for having these warring fiefdoms of like, you know, I control magazines, you control cable, you control book publishing, you know.
他们不
They don't
和AOL也没什么不同
And not dissimilar from AOL.
我是说,AOL内部也有这种派系文化
I mean, I think AOL had the internal fiefdom culture too.
把两个这样的公司混在一起,结果肯定好不了
You mix two of those together, that can't go well.
然后AOL以征服者的姿态进来,摆出一副'我们比你们这些乡巴佬更懂新媒体'的架势
Well, and then with AOL coming in as the conquering heroes and being like, we know this new media game better than you yahoos.
字面意思上的
Like literally
你们这些乡巴佬,没有双关的意思
You yahoos, no pun intended.
没错,确实如此
Yeah, true.
文化冲突确实会带来一些实际问题。
There's practical things about culture clashes.
就像在某本书里,《体育画报》直接拒绝合作那样。
Like if in one of the books, Sports Illustrated just refuses to play ball.
意思是我们不会把内容交给你们。
Like we're not going to give our content to you.
我们要自己运营。
We're running our own.
事实上,《体育画报》向来很少为网络提供内容。
In fact, Sports Illustrated famously never really gave much to the web anyway.
或者想想华纳兄弟的例子——并购后他们拒绝让AOL接管《哈利波特》网站,而当时《哈利波特》电影的线上宣传才刚刚起步。
Or think of there's a story about, like, Warner Studios after the merger refuses to let AOL take over the Harry Potter website and the online promotion for the Harry Potter movies are just getting going.
对吧?
Right?
所以当AOL提出'让我们接管这个'时,华纳兄弟才会断然拒绝。
So that's why Warner Studios is so when AOL says to them, okay, let's take this over, Warner Studios says no.
对吧?
Right?
而AOL最想要的东西,可以说是他们的救命稻草,就是AOL的——抱歉,是时代华纳的有线电视部门。
And then the thing that AOL wanted the most, like to save their skin, was AOL's or I'm sorry, Time Warner's cable division.
时代华纳拥有著名的Roadrunner业务,这是另一回事。
Time Warner had Roadrunner famously, which is another thing.
他们甚至无法让华纳授权给他们使用Roadrunner卡通形象。
They couldn't even get Warner to give them license them the Roadrunner cartoon thing.
这就是时代华纳内部的内斗。
That's the infighting that is at Time Warner.
所以当AOL说'听着,让我们把AOL品牌植入你们正在扩张的有线网络服务'时,时代华纳有线直接让他们滚蛋。
But so when AOL says, okay, listen, let's brand AOL into your expanding cable internet service, Time Warner Cable says get bent.
对吧?
Right?
因此尽管他们是收购方,但时代华纳那些根深蒂固的权力掮客直接让这些人滚蛋,基本上就是耗到并购的灾难性后果显现,然后把他们踢出局。
So even though they're the acquiring company, essentially, the the entrenched power brokers at Time Warner just tells these guys to screw off and basically waits them out until the disaster of the merger becomes evident and get kicked out.
而且
And
如果你考虑一下收入产生的权力动态,我记得AOL在2000年合并前的总收入大约是95亿美元左右。
if you think about like the power dynamics generated by the revenue, like I think AOL's total revenue in 2000 right before the merger was $9,500,000,000 or somewhere in that neighborhood.
Time Warner的市盈率要窄得多,他们当时的,当时的估值是多少来着?
Time Warner had a much more narrow price to earnings ratio, where they, you know, of that, what were they valued at?
大概是1500亿或1600,000000000美元吧。
Like, dollars 150,000,000 or $160,000,000,000 yeah.
是的,抱歉,是1600亿。
Yeah, sorry, 160,000,000,000.
他们拥有实质性的收入,估值应该是三倍左右,而不是像AOL那样离谱的倍数。
Like, they had real material revenues such that that had to be like a a three x or something, not like a, you know, ridiculous multiple like AOL.
本,我知道你找到的是哪篇文章,因为我也找到了那篇。
Ben, I know what article you found because I found that one too.
我认为那已经根据通胀调整过了,但情况甚至更糟。
I think that was adjusted for inflation, but it's even worse.
美国在线(AOL)的收入不足50亿美元,而时代华纳的收入是
AOL had, less than 5,000,000,000 in revenue and It Time Warner was
那么少。
that small.
没错,时代华纳收入超过250亿美元,是AOL的五倍多。而且正如我们讨论过的,AOL所谓的收入本质上就是蛇在吞食自己的尾巴。
Yeah and Time Warner had over 25,000,000,000 so you know over five times as much and AOL's quote unquote revenue as we've talked about was you know the snake eating its tail.
所以你能想象,作为时代华纳的中层管理者,你依然会觉得自己在组织内掌握着全部权力。
So you can see how you're like a Time Warner mid level exec and you still feel like you have all the power in that organization.
或者说按理你应该这样做。
Or you should by right.
从战略角度考虑这个问题。
Think of this strategically.
所以AOL认为,好吧,我们将拥有一家有线电视公司,这样就能解决我们向宽带过渡的问题。
So AOL thinks, well, we'll have a cable company And then that'll solve our problem with the transition to broadband.
但如果你是康卡斯特,现在为什么要与AOL合作呢?
But then if you're Comcast, why do you want to play ball with AOL now?
对吧?
Right?
就像如果AOL保持独立,他们曾非常努力地尝试与Adelphia Cable或Comcast等公司合作,提出共同品牌AOL的方案,表示他们将收取一定比例的月费,而对方则能从中获得增值服务。
Like if AOL had been independent, they were trying very hard to do things like go to Adelphia Cable or Comcast and say, like, let's co brand AOL and we'll take a certain percentage of the monthly fees and you take it, we'll value add to this.
一旦他们与时代华纳合并,其他宽带运营商还有什么理由与他们合作呢,对吧?
Once they're with Time Warner, then why would any other broadband player play ball with them, right?
所以从战略角度看,这从来就不合理。
So in a way strategically that never made sense.
但就像我们一直在说的,本质上资金会枯竭,再次不是因为拨号订阅在减少,而是因为所有的广告收入都消失了。
But then like we've been saying essentially the money just dries up not again because of the dial up subscriptions are drying up but the it's all of that ad money.
所有这些收入,当他们还能向《纽约时报》收费,屈尊出现在他们的屏幕上之类的时候。
It's all of that when they could charge The New York Times to deign to be on their screens and things like that.
它就在互联网泡沫破裂的核冬天中蒸发殆尽。
It just evaporates in the nuclear winter of the .com bubble bursting.
仅仅一年后,在合并宣布一周年之际,合并后的公司市值仅为1470亿美元。而在宣布合并时,美国在线的市值高达1600亿美元。也就是说,合并一年后,两家公司的总价值还不如美国在线当初的市值。
And so just a year, the one year anniversary of the merger being announced, the combined companies are only worth $147,000,000,000 At the time of the announcement, AOL was worth $160,000,000,000 So essentially the combined companies a year later are worth less than AOL was at the time of the announcement.
而且我认为它们的市值还会继续下跌。
And I think they continue to go down from there.
合并后的公司市值甚至跌破了1000亿,我记得连500亿都不到。
They go down below 100,000,000,000 even I think below 50,000,000,000 for the combined companies.
是啊。
Yeah.
我手头也有相关数据。
I had a bunch of stats on that too.
我认为唯一关键的是,由于AOL这边完全没有盈利且收入持续萎缩。
The only thing that's relevant I think is so essentially they it's because of the AOL side of the equation is delivering no profits and the revenues are shrinking.
他们仍然...
They're And still
占公司55%的份额。
55% of the company.
正是如此。
Exactly.
所以这些资产减记。
So the write downs.
2002年公司宣布的540亿美元资产减记,是当时有史以来最大的一笔。
Dollars 54,000,000,000 write down the company has to announce in 2002, which was the largest ever at that time.
这可能至今仍是最大的一笔。
It might still be the largest ever.
我不确定。
I don't know.
2003年又减记了555亿美元。
55,500,000,000.0 in 2003.
资料显示2002年整体亏损达990亿美元,我不清楚这是财年还是自然年数据。
The overall loss for 2002, this says, is $99,000,000,000 So I don't know if that's like a fiscal year versus calendar year thing.
基本上,美国在线这家公司所有有价值的东西完全是个假象。
So basically, AOL, everything valuable about that company is completely an illusion.
华尔街也注意到了这一点。
And Wall Street notices.
那么它是在什么时候公布的,2000年1月吗?
And so it's announced, what is it, January 2000?
到了2001年12月,杰瑞·莱文卸任了。
By December 2001, Jerry Levin steps down.
美国在线的人当时还以为他们掌控着局面,所以他们想接管美国在线的CEO职位,特别是对公司的控制权。
The AOL people are still thinking that they're in charge at this point, so they want to take over the CEO ship of AOL, the control of AOL specifically.
实际上,鲍勃·皮特曼那时真以为自己会接手,因为他觉得史蒂夫·凯斯会卸任是迟早的事。
And actually, that's where Bob Pittman really was the guy that thought he was going take it because he was feeling like Steve Case would step down at some point.
但众所周知,最终由迪克·帕森斯接手了
But no, as we know, it went to Dick Parsons.
于是鲍勃·皮特曼在2002年7月离职
And so Bob Pittman is out by July 2002.
史蒂夫·凯斯最终于2003年5月离开
Steve Case finally leaves in May 2003.
2003年9月18日,时代华纳正式从公司名称中去掉了AOL字样
09/18/2003, Time Warner officially drops AOL from its name.
合并后的公司正式命名为美国在线时代华纳。
The combined company was called AOL Time Warner officially.
但仅仅三年后,时代华纳基本上就想假装美国在线从未存在过。
But just three years later, AOL bay or Time Warner basically wants to pretend like AOL never happened.
此时他们仍然持有这项资产。
And at this point, they still own the asset.
他们并没有说要一次性剥离它。
Like, they're they're not saying, you know, all in one fell swoop, oh, we're gonna spin it out.
它仍然属于公司的一部分。
Like, that is still in the company.
只是毫无作为而已。
It's just not doing anything.
你总会时不时听到那些数字——至今仍有数百万人在为美国在线的拨号上网服务每月付费。
Well, you always hear those numbers now and again about however millions of people are still paying every month for AOL dial up.
我是说,这
I mean, it's
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
我其实知道具体数字。
I've actually got the number.
根据威瑞森2015年5月的报价,他们拨号上网业务仍能创造6.065亿美元收入。
As of Verizon's bid in May 2015, they're still making $606,500,000 in dial up revenue.
我查过数据,这个数字至今都没怎么缩减,所以他们确实还在维持这项业务。
And I looked up some it really actually hasn't shrunk much today, So they're really actually still maintaining that.
要知道,公司里还有其他资产。
Well, know, there's other there's other assets in there.
记得他们收购了网景吗?
Remember they bought Netscape?
结果只是
Only to
一家叫网景的小公司。
A little company called Netscape.
是啊。
Yeah.
我是说,你看,卡拉·斯威舍的书之所以叫《这里头总该有匹小马吧》是有原因的。
I mean, so I, you know, every there's a reason why Kara Swisher's book is called There's a Pony in Here Somewhere.
就是说,如果有一大堆狗屎,里头总该有匹小马驹吧。
It's in this if there's a mountain of shit this big, there's got to be a pony somewhere.
所以他们试过了,伙计。
So they tried, man.
那是匹小马驹。
It was a little pony.
其实那是匹巨马,谢谢你提醒我这个。
Well, actually, it was a huge one and you remind I'm glad you reminded me of this.
我记下来了。
I made a note.
AOL即时通讯器在巅峰时期,我记得有超过1亿用户。
AOL Instant Messenger, at its height, I think has over a 100,000,000 users.
好的?
Okay?
所以在2003、2004年,人们都有好友列表。
So like 2,003, 2,004, people have a buddy list.
那就是你的社交图谱。
It's your social graph.
明白吗?
Okay?
你知道,根据我对Facebook的研究,他们基本上就是Facebook的缔造者。
You know, for the research that, you know, I've done on Facebook, basically they they wrote Facebook.
他们彼此之间不直接交谈。
They didn't talk to each other.
他们隔着桌子坐着。
They sat across tables from each other.
他们通过AIM互相聊天。
They're on AIM chatting at each other.
就像我发现的一些引述所说,负责AIM之类的人表示,我们早就有了社交网络。
Like that's how Facebook there's quotes that I found like, you know, people in charge of AIM and things like that are like, we had social networking.
你知道的。
You know.
所以AIM其实是源自ICQ,我记得是美国在线收购了ICQ。
So again And again AIM came from ICQ and which I think AOL acquired ICQ.
美国在线是收购了它,但它实际上并非源自ICQ。
AOL acquired it didn't actually come from ICQ.
ICQ是另一个没人知道他们为何收购的东西。
It's a ICQ was another thing no one knows why they bought it.
AIM有个有趣的故事,它原本是美国在线内部不想做的项目,但人们觉得它很酷
AIM, it's an interesting story, was an internal thing that AOL didn't want to do, but like people thought it was cool and
为什么即时通讯平台总是内部产物?
they Why are messaging platforms always internal things?
Slack、Discord、AIM这些最初都没打算做成产品,结果却令人震惊。
Slack, Discord, AIM that are like not actually going to be a product and then shocked.
我们现在应该对消息平台能孵化出优秀客户端这件事不那么惊讶了。
We should be less shocked by now that messaging platforms make good spin out clients.
AOL本该知道这点,因为他们——我之前没提过——他们之所以能击败Prodigy,就是因为他们允许用户聊天。
And AOL should have known because they're the ones that I didn't say this before, but the reason they beat Prodigy is because they let people chat.
Prodigy曾试图禁止那些'性感'的内容。
Prodigy tried to don't do sexy stuff.
所以AOL
So AOL
人们就是想做那些'性感'的事。
People want to do the sexy stuff.
就让人们畅所欲言吧。
Just let people talk.
对于科技产品而言,一个新科技范式中能成为龙头企业的,必定是最先实现让人们自由交流的那家公司。
The number one thing if you have a technology product, a new technology paradigm, the thing that will be the company, the first successful company is the one that just lets people talk to each other.
我敢打赌,VR领域诞生的首个市值十亿美元的软件平台或公司,必然是最擅长让人们通过VR交流的那家。
I guarantee you the first billion dollar software platform or whatever company coming from VR is just the one that allows people to talk to each other in VR the best.
你知道,随着这个
You know, with the So
这已经是非常明确的趋势了。
it's come real solid bets on that.
是啊。
Yeah.
没错。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
iPhone带来了哪些变革?
With the iPhone, what are the things that came through?
比如WhatsApp这类应用。
You know, things like, you know, WhatsApp and things like that.
是的。
Yes.
任何能让人们互相交流的技术范式都是最稳妥的首选。
Any paradigm in technology allowing people to talk to each other is the safest first bet.
我不知道AIM有1亿用户这个数字,但这很合理。
I didn't know that number, the 100,000,000 number for AIM, but it makes sense.
就像,我成长过程中有过很多塑造性的经历,比如第一次通过社交平台与人交流,至少是在线交流,还建立了真正有意义的关系。
Like, had formative, formative, like, growing up experiences where I, you know, had social like, the first experience socializing with people, you know, at least people online, and also actually meaningful relationships.
即使我们上同一所高中或初中,我们也会在AIM上聊到凌晨两点,你会逐渐了解别人,关心个人资料的内容,在意离线留言——那可比Facebook墙贴还要早。
Even when we went to the same high school or middle school, we'd chat on AIM until like two in the morning, and you get to know people, and you care about what's in your profile, and you care about away messages like that was before Facebook wall posts.
就像你,拥有所有这些事物——它代表社会地位,传达你的个性,好友列表的人数,你排序的方式都象征着社交关系的强弱。
Like you, you have all these things where like, it's social status, it communicates your personality, it it the number of people on your buddy list, the way you have it sorted is like representation of strong and weak social ties.
那曾是生活的基本组成部分。
Like that was an essential fabric of life.
甚至从商业角度来看也是如此。
Well, would even say that same thing from the business perspective.
三家初创企业主要活跃在1999到2005年间。
Three startups were mostly in the 'ninety nine to 2005 era.
甚至在Skype出现之前,我们就是这样做生意的,你知道,总是通过Skype与人联系。
So before even Skype becomes a thing, like like that's how we did business, you know, Skyping people all the time.
只要你知道对方的即时通讯软件昵称就能联系上。
It was people's if you knew their their instant messenger screen name.
我下周要和Om Malik交谈,他在这方面很有名。
I'm gonna talk to Om Malik next week and and but like he was famous for that.
他会给出联系方式,如果你想上GigaOm网站的话——我们之前讨论过推广初创公司之类的事情。
He would give that that's how if you wanted to get on GigaOm, we were talking earlier about promoting startups and things like that.
如果你知道Om Malik的即时通讯账号,我想Michael Arrington也是同样的方式。
If you knew Om Malik's Instant Messenger and I think Michael Arrington was the same way.
就是这样
That's how
他用的应该是Skype。
His was Skype, I think.
我记得他,是的。
I remember him Yeah.
非常庞大的
Being a huge
是啊。
Yeah.
但你知道,生意就是那么做的。
But so right you know, business was done over that.
这又回到了社交图谱的概念。
Again, it's the social graph.
就像你的名片夹一样。
It's like it was your Rolodex.
那是你与人保持联系的方式。
It was your it was how you kept up with people.
没错。
Yeah.
那就是一切。
It was everything.
所以我需要做一期关于这个的节目。
So I need to do an episode on that.
我得找到一些AIM的人,让他们基本上完全配合。
I gotta track down some AIM guys and have them basically Totally.
我是说这
I mean it's
太不可思议了,就像我们之前开玩笑说的,它就像是Facebook、WhatsApp、微信的集合体,还有Snapchat、Instagram这些——虽然Instagram的照片功能没那么重要——但包含了所有最重要的社交功能
incredible like it was and we joked about it earlier but like it was Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, like you know all of this Snapchat like Instagram, well not Instagram photos weren't as big a part of it but like all of the most important Oh you ones
可以交换文件。
on could trade files.
不知道你还记不记得这个功能。
I don't know if you remember that.
你可以
You could
嗯,还能交换音乐。
Well you could trade music.
它总是会失败。
It would fail all the time.
就像那些事情一样,是的,试试看吧,但我们得看它是否真的能成功。
Like it was one of those things that was like, yeah, give it a shot but we'll see if it actually happens.
但你知道,包括我们在内的很多人都嘲笑这些弗吉尼亚州的非技术牛仔们。
But it was you know, for all the you know, lots of people ourselves included make fun of these you know, non technologist cowboys in Virginia.
就像借用阿尔·戈尔的话说,他们发明了互联网。
Like, they invented the Internet, to borrow an Al Gore phrase.
这有点,我是说,看着确实挺让人难过的,因为你知道,Facebook本是他们可以挥霍的机会。
It's it's a little I mean, it's a sad thing to watch, really, because, like, you know, Facebook was their opportunity to squander.
我是说,当你研究网络效应和人们如何围绕业务建立防御性时,有一些非常有趣的故事,我记得是ICQ试图逆向工程AIM协议,这样你就能通过ICQ客户端和AIM用户聊天。
And I mean, as you sort of study network effects and how people build defensibility around their business, there's some fascinating stories about, I think it was ICQ trying to reverse engineer the AIM protocol, so you could chat AIM people from the ICQ client.
基本上这是一场你来我往的工程战,看他们如何不断调整协议来阻挡对手,独享自己的网络效应。
And these basically engineering wars going back and forth of how could they keep tweaking the protocol to keep the other guys out and keep their network effect to themselves.
AOL和微软之间曾有一场全面的冷战,因为当时有MSN聊天,还有雅虎聊天。
There was a whole cold war between AOL and Microsoft because you had MSN chat, you had Yahoo chat.
是啊,哦那个
So yeah Oh that's
就是那样
what it was.
对,就是那样
Yeah that's what it was.
MSN Messenger
MSN Messenger.
没错,每当MSN Messenger破解了代码,AOL就会立刻更改它。
Right as soon as MSN Messenger would crack the code AOL would change it.
而我看到
And I saw
这些网络效应、局部网络效应的动态正在发生,就像今天一样。
these network effect, local network effect dynamics taking place just like there is today.
我是说MSN Messenger和Live在许多国家是主导网络,而AIM在美国是主导网络,就像这里的iMessage和Facebook Messenger与欧洲的WhatsApp的关系一样。
I mean MSN Messenger and Live was the dominant network in a bunch of countries and AIM was the dominant network in The US and it's just like iMessage and Facebook Messenger here versus WhatsApp in Europe.
听着,还记得史蒂夫·乔布斯曾公开宣称他们会让FaceTime开源吗?
Well listen, remember Steve Jobs famously told us that they were gonna open source FaceTime.
FaceTime协议。
FaceTime protocol.
是啊。
Yeah.
至今未见实现。
Haven't seen that happen.
我认为这与其说是商业决策,不如说是工程决策。
I think that's actually less of a business decision and more of an engineering decision.
据传闻说,FaceTime开发团队在听到乔布斯台上宣布时面面相觑,满脸写着'什么情况?'
I think as the lore goes, the team that built FaceTime was sitting in their row when he they heard it for the first time when he announced it on stage, and they all looked at each other like, what?
没错。
Yeah.
我也听过这个说法。
I think I heard that too.
是啊。
Yeah.
好吧,行吧。
Well, alright.
很抱歉我絮絮叨叨说了这么多,现在我把话题交还给你们。
That's my I am sorry I I droned on so much, but that I will hand it back.
对不起。
I'm sorry.
我把话语权交还给你们。
I will hand the the keys back to you guys.
我们甚至...我选
Do we even I pick
知道。
know.
我知道。
I know.
我是说,呃,大卫,你有什么想谈的吗?
I mean, well, David, do do do you wanna talk into anything at all?
还有什么收购历史和事实需要我们讨论吗?我们应该进入收购类别的话题吗?
Any any more acquisition history and facts, should we go into the the acquisition category?
我可以稍微整理一下
And I can kinda frame
我想补充一点,关于这件事本身的历史和事实没什么可多说的,但作为整个故事的完美结尾,历史正在重演,看看我们今天的位置——AOL现在归Verizon所有。
The that up a little one thing I wanna add, nothing more on the history and facts of this itself but it's just such a fitting coda to this whole story is history repeating itself again and look where we are today and AOL is owned by Verizon.
AOL在2009年从时代华纳分拆出来。
AOL spun out of Time Warner in 2009.
当时估值略高于30亿美元,与近十年前的天文数字相比相去甚远。
It was valued at just over $3,000,000,000 versus the astronomic heights of nearly ten years before that.
这主要是因为他们收购了多年来积累的所有广告技术。
And that's mostly because they had all this ad tech that they've bought over the years.
是的,
Yep,
是的。
yep.
所以他们被威瑞森收购后,时代华纳这边,政府尚未批准这笔交易,但他们正处于被AT&T收购的过程中。
So they get acquired by Verizon and then on the Time Warner side the deal hasn't been approved the government yet but they are in the process of getting acquired by AT and T.
所以,你知道,当时有很多关于这是有史以来最糟糕合并的笑话,一个科技互联网公司AOL与一家传统媒体公司合并。而现在到了2017年,它们都被电话公司收购了。
So, you know, there were all these jokes about, you know, the worst merger of all time and you know, this tech internet company AOL, you know, merging with an old media company And here we are in 2017 and both of them are owned by phone companies.
是啊。
Yeah.
真的,真的很难想象。
Really, really hard to imagine.
好了,听众朋友们。
Alright, listeners.
首先,节日快乐。
Well, first off, happy holidays.
节日快乐。
Happy holidays.
也祝你节日快乐,本。
And happy holidays to you, Ben, as well.
谢谢。
Thank you.
本着放松、旅行和享受精彩播客的精神,我们和Odd Lots播客的朋友们聊了聊,他们提议说,嘿。
Well, in the spirit of downtime and travel and enjoying great podcasts, we were talking with our friends over at the Odd Lots podcast, and they suggested, hey.
我们二月份在Odd Lots一起做的那期节目真是太棒了。
That episode we did together on Odd Lots back in February, it was so great.
不如我们在年底时都在各自的节目中重点推荐一下?
What if we highlight on both of our shows at the end of the year?
我们说,好啊。
And we said, yes.
这还用想。
No brainer.
好主意。
Great idea.
我们讨论了所有相关内容,台积电、爱马仕、火星、英伟达,以及成就一家伟大公司的一切要素。
We talked about all the hits on it, TSMC, Hermes, Mars, NVIDIA, and everything that goes into making a great company.
后来我们继续深入交流,发现我们两个节目今年都迎来了十周年纪念,这简直不可思议。
And then we were talking with them some more, and we realized that both of our shows turned ten years old this year, which is crazy.
所以这就是命运的安排。
So it was fate.
我们必须这么做。
We gotta do it.
Odd Lots节目实在太棒了。
So Odd Lots is awesome.
这是我最爱的节目之一,也是获取收购研究资料的首选来源。
It's one of my favorite shows and always a go to source for acquired research.
没错。
Yep.
实际上他们关于台积电的几期节目正是我们的主要参考资料之一。
Their episodes on TSMC were actually some of our main sources for that one.
是啊。
Yeah.
乔和特蕾西配合得超棒,他们之间有种神奇的搭档化学反应,让节目听起来特别有趣。
Joe and Tracy do an awesome job, and they have that sort of magical, great cohost dynamic together that makes listening just really fun.
所以如果你在假期旅行时需要更多音频内容,快去听听《奇货可居》吧。
So if you're looking for more audio content for your holiday travel, go check out Odd Lots.
可以从我们和他们的那期节目开始,我们会在节目说明里放上链接。
You can start with our episode with them, which we'll link to in the show notes.
不过说实话,他们的任何一期节目都不会让你失望。
But honestly, you can't go wrong with any of their work.
完全同意。
Totally.
祝贺他们节目十周年,祝大家节日快乐。
Congratulations to them on ten years, and happy holidays, everyone.
节日快乐。
Happy holidays.
现在回到节目中来。
Now back to the show.
对于收购类别,我想我们为何不实际从两个方向都尝试一下呢?
Well, for acquisition category, I think why don't we actually take a stab from both directions?
那么首先来说,因为这实际上是,你知道的,美国在线收购时代华纳,属于哪种
So let's say first, because it actually was, you know, AOL, taking over, Time Warner, What kind
的
of
AOL的那次收购属于哪类?
acquisition was that for AOL?
我们标准的分类包括:人员、技术、产品、业务线、资产或其他。
Our standard categories are people, technology, product, business line, asset, or other.
Brian,请允许我冒昧地替你说出想法,这实际上属于'其他'类别,因为这严格来说不算收购行为,虽然可能涉及收购业务线,但更像是获取稳定性和流动性,看起来你们是在实施某种退出策略。
Brian, if I may be so bold as to voice what I think you would say, this is actually an other, because it's not necessarily acquiring if anything, it's maybe acquiring a business line, but it's like acquiring stability and liquidity, It seems to be what you're applying like like an applying an exit strategy.
那么,我是这么认为的。
So see, here's what I would say.
他们的理由是他们在收购业务线或技术。
Their rationale is that they're they're they're buying the business line of the or the technology.
对我来说这个分类很模糊。
It's murky to me what the category is.
但他们想要有线电视公司是为了能转型到宽带业务。
But they want the cable companies so that they can transition into broadband.
这就是他们的理由。
That's their rationale.
他们真正在买什么?
What are they really buying?
资产。
The assets.
他们本质上想说:听着,我们的股票是短暂的,需要将其转化为能永久存在的东西。
They're essentially trying to say, listen, our stock is ephemeral, we need to convert it into something that'll last forever.
《时代》杂志从20年代就存在了。
Time Magazine has been around since the 20s.
华纳兄弟自20年代就已存在。
Warner Brothers has been around since the 20s.
所以本质上他们真正追求的是'内容为王'这一资产。
So it's the asset of content is king that they were really, in their heart, going after.
是的。
Yeah.
说得好。
Well put.
哥们,说句题外话,如果你是美国在线那边的谈判代表,你怎么能全程保持严肃表情,真正代表你们参与收购的立场和时间赢家们
Man, and as a little aside, if you are at the negotiating table there and you're AOL, how do you keep a straight face through all this and and really represent what you're in this for and and what time winners
这个我们稍后再推测。
do speculating on that later.
好的。
Alright.
我会...我会...我会保留意见。
I'll I'll I'll save it.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。