本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这里是《全神贯注学英语》播客第2504期:如何用英语融合你的社交圈。
This is an All Ears English podcast episode twenty five zero four, how to blend your social bubbles in English.
欢迎收听下载量超过2亿次的《全神贯注学英语》播客。
Welcome to the All Ears English podcast downloaded more than 200,000,000 times.
你是否在英语学习中感到停滞不前?
Are you feeling stuck with your English?
我们将向你展示如何通过关注连接而非完美,变得无所畏惧且流利自如——由你的美国主持人、雅思专家奥布里·卡特,以及英语冒险家林赛·麦克马洪,从美国亚利桑那州和科罗拉多州为你呈现。
We'll show you how to become fearless and fluent by focusing on connection, not perfection with your American host, Aubrey Carter, the IELTS whiz, and Lindsey McMahon, the English adventurer, coming to you from Arizona and Colorado, USA.
每周获取邮件发送的节目文稿,请访问allearsenglish.com/subscribe。
And to get your transcripts delivered by email every week, go to allearsenglish.com forward slash subscribe.
你会融合不同的社交圈层,还是保持它们各自独立?
Do you blend your social groups, or do you keep them separate?
这在不同文化中可能有所差异,但在美国我们通常会进行融合。
This can vary around the world, but in The US, we usually blend them.
今天你将学到用英语实现这一点的六个关键方法。
Today, get six key ways to do this in English.
嘿,奥布里。
Hey there, Aubrey.
今天过得怎么样?
How's it going today?
我很好,林赛。
I'm great, Lindsay.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
你的旅行怎么样?
How was your trip?
天啊。
Oh my gosh.
非常棒。
It was great.
每次度假我都特别喜欢。
Anytime I go on vacation, I love it.
它。
It.
但我从没见过一周内下这么多雨,奥布里。
But I've never seen so much rain, Aubrey, in a one week period.
太疯狂了。
It was crazy.
是的。
Yes.
你当时在挪威对吧?
You were in Norway, right?
对。
Yes.
没错。
Yes.
每年这个时候那里都会疯狂下雨。
And it rains like crazy at that time of year.
我们不知道那件事。
We didn't know that.
我们不知道
We didn't
那件事。
know that.
我知道你原本计划去划皮艇,结果因为下雨取消了。
I know you were planning on kayaking, which got rained out.
听到这个消息我很难过。
I'm sorry to hear that.
你以后得找个时间再去一次,完成皮艇之旅。
You'll have to go again sometime when you can do the kayaking.
确实如此。
It's so true.
但因为雨下得太大,这趟旅程反而更悠闲,我有大把时间思考文化差异,毕竟我的思绪总是往这方面飘。
But because there was so much rain, it was a more chill trip, and I had a lot of time to think about culture because that's where my mind always goes.
对吧?
Right?
你知道的,比如这个地方和美国有什么不同?
You know, like, how is this place different from The US?
人们的行为方式如何?
How do people act?
这里到底在发生什么?
Like, what's going on here?
对吧?
Right?
所以我们参加了一个免费的城市观光团。
And so we did a free city tour.
奥布里,你参加过那种总在市中心集合的免费城市观光团吗?
Have you ever done those tours, Aubrey, where, like, there's always free city tours that meet in the center?
我没参加过。
I haven't.
我觉得
I don't think
我从来没参加过那种活动。
I ever have done that.
天啊。
Oh my gosh.
你应该试试——我们去过的每个城市都有免费观光团,最后只需要给小费。
You should every city we've been to offers a free city tour, and you just tip at the end.
你得多给点小费。
You tip well.
这样就能维持下去。
So it works out.
这种商业模式在全球各地都行得通。
The the business continues all over the world.
太棒了。
It's amazing.
我们的导游是一位过去三四年间居住在挪威卑尔根的侨民。
And our guide was an expat living in Bergen, Norway for the last three to four years.
我记得他是印度裔葡萄牙人,但他对当地文化有着独到的见解。
He was Indian Portuguese, I believe, but he had a lot of insights on the culture.
所以我吸收了他的见解,又通过一些阅读和观察加以补充,今天就有很多有趣的内容要和大家分享。
And so I took his insights and then supplemented that with a little reading, a little observing, and we have some interesting stuff to share with our audience today.
是的,我特别期待听到这些文化洞见,也期待我们要分享的关于介绍共同朋友的内容。
Yes, I'm very excited to hear these cultural insights and also for what we're going to share about introducing mutual friends.
因为我曾遇到过想介绍朋友认识却不知如何是好的情况。
Because I have been in that situation where I want to introduce people and it's tricky.
我们会教大家相关的表达方式和应对策略。
We're going to give you the phrases and the strategies to do this.
所以你们将会
So you are going
在本期节目中学到很多。
to learn a lot in this episode.
这期内容会非常精彩。
This is gonna be fantastic.
每个人都能将本期节目学以致用。
Everyone is going to be able to apply today's episode.
首先请大家点击关注按钮。
So, guys, first, go ahead and hit the follow button.
如果还没关注《全神贯注学英语》,你就错过了我们每周五期的节目推送,奥布里。
If you are not currently following All Ears English, then you're missing what we're sending out, which is five episodes a week, Aubrey.
太棒了。
Amazing.
是吗?
Yeah?
是的。
Yes.
没错。
Exactly.
对吧?
Right?
无论你在哪里收听播客,都请点击关注。
Hit follow wherever you listen to podcasts.
对。
Yeah.
而我
And I
在我们继续之前,我想先提个注意事项。
wanna before we go any further, I just wanna mention a caveat.
文化确实非常复杂。
Is that culture is really complex.
它充满微妙差异。
It's really nuanced.
所以每次讨论文化时我都会紧张,因为我不想陷入刻板印象。
So anytime we talk about culture, I get nervous because I don't want to have stereotypes.
我不想一概而论。
I don't wanna generalize.
你知道吗,想象一下如果有人试图把美国文化、奥布里、以及在美国文化中的社交规则简化为三条准则,我们肯定会立刻拒绝这种想法。
You know, imagine if someone were trying to break down American culture, Aubrey, and socializing in American culture into three rules, we would reject it right away.
对吧?
Right?
完全同意。
Absolutely.
确实如此。
It's so true.
我记得有时候和别人聊起我在比利时布鲁塞尔的经历时,会分享我目睹的一些刻板印象,但那只是基于非常小的一部分人,对吧?
And I remember sometimes when I talk to people about my experience in Brussels, Belgium, I will share the stereotypes I witnessed, but that was based on a very small group, right?
我从少数人身上注意到了一些现象,但显然我并没有见过布鲁塞尔的每一个居民。
I noticed some things from a few people, but I certainly didn't meet every person that lives in Brussels.
所以当样本量很小时,你可能会无意中形成刻板印象,并对某种文化做出不适用于所有人的假设。
So when you have a small sample size, you might end up stereotyping accidentally and assuming things about a culture that aren't true for everyone.
所以这确实很棘手。
So it is tricky.
是啊。
Yeah.
而且你也只是在城市里。
And you are also just in the city.
对吧?
Right?
在布鲁塞尔这座城市,生活方式可以如此迥异。
In the city of Brussels, lifestyle can be so different.
确实如此。
Exactly.
城市与乡村、山区与海滩之间的对比。
In a city versus countryside versus mountains versus beach.
天啊。
Oh my god.
这里的内容太丰富了。
There's so much here.
但我们确实喜欢观察事物,并希望帮助听众掌握在这些社交场合中发言的技巧。
But we do like to observe things, and we wanna help our listeners to have these skills to speak in these social contexts.
所以来自挪威的听众们,请发邮件到lindsay@allersenglish.com告诉我哪里说错了,因为肯定存在某些误解。
So for our listeners from Norway, guys, go ahead and email me at lindsay@allersenglish.com and tell me what I'm getting wrong here because I'm sure we're having some kind of misunderstanding.
对吧?
Right?
我们会做一期后续节目。
So, we'll do a follow-up episode.
如果我们有哪里弄错了,我们很乐意纠正。
If we've gotten something wrong, we'd be happy to do that.
好吗?
Alright?
是的,那会很有趣,对吧?
Yes, that would be really interesting to hear, right?
告诉我们。
Let us know.
你可以在YouTube视频下留言,向我们提供详细信息。
You could leave a comment on the YouTube video to give us details.
就你所知是这样吗,还是你有不同的经历?
Is this the case as far as you know, or do you experience something different?
是的。
Yes.
那么,这就是我们今天要讨论的主要观点。
And so here is kind of the main point of what we want to talk about today.
我有一个非常明显的顿悟时刻,观察到挪威人的社交方式与美国文化有着显著不同。
I had one kind of huge light bulb moment, one big observation of something that seemed pretty different from American culture that I saw in the way that people seem to socialize in Norway.
这部分来自导游的讲解,部分来自我正在阅读的一本书以及与他人的交谈。
And that is and this came partly from the tour guide, partly from a book that I was reading and talking to other people.
社交框架——他们称之为框架,但实际上用我们的话说就是‘圈子’,在挪威社会中显然非常重要。
Social frames, they call them frames, but really bubbles would be the word we use, Aubrey, are a big deal apparently in Norwegian society.
因此,作为外籍人士,你只能在某些特定时刻融入当地社会,这样的机会比美国要少得多。
So there are certain moments when you can insert yourself into the society, like if you're an expat, And there's not as many as I think there are in The US.
比如如果你的孩子在上日托班,你就能结识其他家长。
There's if your kids are going to daycare, right, you're meeting other parents.
如果你在上大学,就能交到朋友。
If you're in college or university, you're making friends.
如果你参加运动队,也能交到朋友。
If you're on a sports team, you're making friends.
工作、志愿者俱乐部,但基本上就这些了。
Work, volunteer clubs, but that's pretty much it.
所以真正能参与的机会并不多。
So there's not a lot of opportunities to really get in there.
据我所知,这些都是各自独立的社会圈子。
And these are all separate social bubbles from what I understood.
超级有趣。
Super interesting.
是啊。
Yeah.
这确实很有意思。
This is really interesting.
当然,我们在美国也这么做。
And, of course, we do this in The United States too.
但问题在于,一个文化能在多大程度上融合这些不同的圈子?
But the question is, how much does a culture integrate these different bubbles?
对吧?
Right?
我们是否有尝试介绍来自不同圈子的朋友互相认识?
Are we trying to introduce friends from these different groups?
正是如此。
Exactly.
这就是我们今天要讨论的内容。
And that's what we're talking about today.
重申一次,我可能错了,但我迫不及待想听听挪威听众的反馈。
So again, I could be wrong, and I can't wait to hear from our listeners in Norway.
但据我理解,这些群体似乎并不怎么融合。
But from what I understood is these groups don't seem to integrate all that much.
假设我有三个社交圈或三个群体。
So let's say I have three frames or three bubbles.
我有大学朋友、下班后的跑步俱乐部伙伴,还有孩子日托班的家长。
I have my university friends, I have my run club after work, and I have my kids daycare.
据我理解,如果我要为自己举办派对,我不一定会把这些群体聚在一起。
From what I understand is if I were hosting a party for myself maybe, I wouldn't necessarily bring them together.
这就是我看到的与美国文化的关键差异。
And that was the key difference that I saw versus American culture.
因为奥布里,如果是你办生日派对会这样做吗?
Because would you do that, Aubrey, if you were hosting a birthday party?
你会试图把所有社交圈聚在一起,还是只会邀请某个特定群体?
Would you seek to bring all your bubbles together, or would you just say, I'm only inviting this bubble.
我不会
I'm not going
大家好。
I everybody.
他们只能互相认识然后
They're just going to have to meet each other and
相处。
get along.
是啊。
Yeah.
这事刚刚发生。
This actually just happened.
我们办了个劳动节烧烤派对。
We had a Labor Day barbecue.
没错。
Yeah.
我还邀请了排球队友,因为我们想打水上排球。
And I invited volleyball friends because we wanted to play pool volleyball.
对。
Yeah.
我还邀请了邻居朋友们。
And I invited neighbor friends.
所以就是这样。
And so it is Yep.
有意思。
Interesting.
有时候我会想或许不该邀请任何家人。
Sometimes I will think about maybe I won't invite any family.
如果这样合适的话。
If it's Right.
没错。
Right.
某种程度上说,如果我们选择家庭聚会,那就只会是家人参加。
Sort of be maybe if we did family, it would just be family.
所以有时候我会想,是啊。
So sometimes I will think about like Yeah.
你知道,有些社交圈的人就是合不来。
You know, which bubbles aren't going to necessarily get along.
如果聚会上要喝酒,而我知道有人对此感到不适,我可能就不会邀请他们。
Maybe if there's going to be alcohol consumption and I know people who are uncomfortable with that, I might not invite them.
所以有些因素会让我不邀请某个社交圈的人。
So there will be certain things that would keep me from inviting one bubble.
但大多数情况下,我还是会邀请所有人。
But for the most part, I just invite everyone.
这基本上就是我的做法
And that's kinda what I
当我考虑和你录制这期节目时,我就猜到你会这么说。
thought you would say when I thought about recording this episode with you.
我觉得这是大多数人的典型做法。
I think that's typical of most people.
对吧?
Right?
可能会有些例外情况,比如因为某些敏感话题或特定原因,你不会邀请某些社交圈的人。
There may be some caveats where you're not gonna make certain bubbles because of certain hot topics or certain things.
但总的来说,是的,我也是这样做的。
But for the most part, yeah, I'm the same way.
如果我举办五十岁生日派对,我想邀请我所有的社交圈朋友。
If I have, like, a fiftieth birthday party, I want to invite all my bubbles.
我希望大家能互相认识一下。
I want everyone to kinda know each other.
但从这次旅行和一些事情中,通过与人们交谈,我理解到这类介绍可能带来不必要的社交风险。
But what I what I understood from the tour and from a few things, talking with people, it sounds like it's too socially risky necessarily to do those intros.
我真希望当时能继续追问那个问题。
And I wish I had followed up on that question more.
比如,
Like, what's
嗯,我不反对。
Well, don't disagree.
我不确定是否算社交风险,但有时确实会尴尬。
I don't know about socially risky, but sometimes awkward.
我确实遇到过邀请不同社交圈朋友的情况。
I have definitely been in the situation where I invite people from different bubbles.
是啊。
Yeah.
有些人只愿意和我或他们认识的人交谈。
And some of them sort of only will talk to me or the people they already know.
我看到他们不愿主动接触,不想认识新朋友。
I see them not putting themselves out there, not trying to meet others.
所以责任就落在我身上,得由我来介绍他们,试着给他们创造交流的理由,让他们知道彼此的共同点,因为他们往往不会主动发现。
So then the onus is on me to introduce them, try to give them a reason to talk to each other, let them know what they have in common because they won't always do it on their own.
对。
Right.
不。
No.
这个观点很好。
That's a good point.
而且这个确实留有美国文化的痕迹。
And this this does have remnants of American culture.
对吧?
Right?
我是说,这里确实存在相似之处。
I mean, there are parallels here for sure.
我某种程度上也觉得,住在东北部的时候,那里有些...我不知道该怎么形容的残留。
I kind of also felt like, living in, like, the Northeast, there were some remnants of I don't know.
就是...嗯。
Just yeah.
我同意。
I agree.
这里面确实存在一些风险,因为我们会不会内化这种'这个人不能和那个人相处'的观念?
It's it's there's some risk there because do do we internalize that if this person can't mix with that person?
这是我们的错吗?
Is that our fault?
就像,我们在某种程度上觉得这是我们的错。
Like, we feel like it's our fault on some level.
对。
Right.
如果你是派对主人,你会希望每个人都玩得开心、感到自在,如果大家没有互动起来,你确实会感到内疚或尴尬。
If you're the party host, you want everyone having fun, everyone comfortable, and so that you do feel either guilt or just awkwardness if people aren't mixing.
是啊。
Yeah.
所以这可能有点棘手。
And so it can be a little tricky.
只邀请互相认识的人肯定更容易。
It's definitely easier to invite only people who know each other.
没错。
Yeah.
完全同意。
Totally.
但成年人生活中并非如此,因为我们确实存在这些社交圈。
But that's not really reality as an adult because we do have these bubbles.
因为我们生活的不同面向,理想情况下会有多个社交圈。
We because we have different aspects of our lives, and hopefully, we have multiple bubbles.
但我们有理由想介绍人们认识。
But there are reasons why we would wanna intro people.
你听说过关于弱关系的研究吗?这个理论。
Have you heard about this study, this idea of weak ties?
奥布里,你听过这个术语吗?
Did you ever hear that term, Aubrey?
我不太确定,但斯坦福社会学家马克·格伦纳弗在1973年做过一项研究。
I don't So think there was this research study done by the Stanford sociologist, Mark Grenaver, in '73.
这已经是相当久远的事了。
So was a while back already.
但他发现,弱关系——也就是那些随意的联系,比如不是你直接的朋友,而是你朋友的朋友——
But he found that, weak ties, which are casual connections, meaning not your friend directly, but your friend's friend.
在职业社交网络方面往往更具影响力。
Those tend to be more powerful in terms of professional networking.
作为成年人,我们其实总是在同时兼顾这两种关系。
And as adults, we're always kind of doing both a little bit.
对吧?
Right?
我们不会在野餐时发名片,但你知道,有时候商业和社交是会混在一起的。
Not we're not handing out business cards at picnics, but we're you know, I think business and social kind of mix together sometimes.
对吧?
Right?
完全正确。
Absolutely.
没错。
Right.
他调查了282人,发现弱关系在获取新工作方面更有优势。
So he surveyed 282 people and found that weak ties are more powerful in terms of getting new jobs.
所以这确实是个值得这么做的理由。
So this would be a reason to actually do it.
对吧?
Right?
我完全同意。
I definitely don't disagree.
就在那次劳动节烧烤聚会上,有个人正考虑从一份职业转行做别的。
At that same Labor Day barbecue, there was someone who was thinking about transitioning from one career to something else.
是啊。
Yeah.
我无意中听到他和一位邻居的谈话,那位邻居可能有些人脉,主动提出帮他获取行业见解,这样他就能在那里建立自己的关系网。
And I overheard a conversation that he had with a neighbor who had connections potentially and was offering to help get him insights so he was able to build his network there.
这可能会非常有用。
That potentially could be really helpful.
是的,我觉得这很有道理。
Yes, I think that makes total sense.
那些弱关系反而更能帮到你,这很合理——因为你能接触到原本可能完全不了解的另一个关系网络。
And those weak ties will help you more, which kind of makes sense because then you have access to this whole other network that you might not be aware of.
对吧?
Right?
所以我们想鼓励听众们思考一下自己的文化环境。
So what we wanna do is encourage our listeners here to think about your own culture.
你会融合自己的社交圈吗?
Do you blend your bubbles?
社会文化鼓励你融合社交圈吗?
Is it socially encouraged to blend your bubbles?
也许这可以成为我们今天的投票问题,是的,
Maybe that'll be our poll question for today, Yeah,
我真的很感兴趣。
I'm really curious.
我想了解每种文化中的这种情况。
I'd like to know this for every culture.
你知道,对我们有些人来说,这就像是两者兼而有之,对吧?
You know, for some of us, it's like some of both, right?
这要看情况。
It depends.
有很多情况都需要具体分析。
There's a lot of it depends.
但请告诉我们,你更倾向于融合社交圈,还是真的会避免这样做?
But just let us know, would you be more likely to blend bubbles, or do you really avoid that?
是啊。
Yeah.
超级有趣。
Super interesting.
就像我们在节目开头讨论的那样,奥布里,今天我们希望听众能掌握相关技巧,如果他们想这么做的话。
And then as we talked about at the top of the episode, Aubrey, for today, we want our listeners to come away with the skills to do it if they want to do it.
因为在你的原生文化中可能不需要,但也许现在你身处美国或其他地方,你肯定想通过这种方式进一步扩展你的人脉网络,也帮助他人扩展网络。
Because maybe in your home culture, you don't, but maybe now you're in The US or somewhere else where you definitely want to do that to expand your network even further and expand others' networks.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
没错。
Exactly.
那么让我们分享一些当你需要介绍彼此不认识但共同的朋友时可以用到的短语。
So let's share some phrases that you can use when you're in this situation where you need to introduce mutual friends that don't know each other.
比如,你可以把他们聚在一起,然后说:'你们见过吗?'
So, for example, you can bring them together and just say, have you guys met?
或者'你们两位见过吗?'
Or have you both met?
又或者'大家都认识了吗?'
Or have you all met?
这是最偷懒也最简单的方式。
That's the laziest, easiest way.
有时候,我是说,不是忘记朋友的名字,但如果有个我隐约认识的人,我想把他介绍给别人,却不知道他的名字,我就会把他们聚在一起说'大家都认识了吗?'
Sometimes, I mean, not not forgetting friends names, but if there's someone I vaguely know and I want to introduce the person to someone else, but I don't know their name, I'll just bring them together and say, have you all met?
这其实很聪明,特别是如果他们已经参加派对有一会儿了,但你还没机会介绍他们认识,他们可能已经互相自我介绍过了。
And it's actually really smart because especially if they've both been at the party for a little while, but you haven't had a chance to meet them, they maybe did introduce themselves to each other.
所以他们可能会说'是的,我们见过了'
So they maybe will say, yes, we met.
我们刚才在聊天',这会让你知道接下来该说什么。
We were just chatting, which will inform what you say next.
正是如此。
Exactly.
如果他们在这里没有遇到框架,就像社交框架那样,他们会主动自我介绍。
And if they haven't met the frame here, like the social frame is that they go ahead and introduce themselves.
这是我们在英语中预期会自动做的事情。
That is the automatic thing we're expected to do in English.
如果有人在场,第三方说:'你们俩见过吗?'
If someone if there's a third party and the third party says, have you two met?
而你们确实没见过,接下来总是会发生什么,奥布里,就是有人会自我介绍。
And you haven't, what happens next always, Aubrey, is someone introduces themselves.
对吧?
Right?
没错。
Exactly.
对。
Right.
嗨,我是奥布里。
Hi, I'm Aubrey.
很高兴认识你。
Nice to meet you.
正是如此。
Exactly.
完全正确。
Exactly.
你们交换了彼此的名字吗?
You get each other names?
毫无疑问。
Definitely.
是的。
Yes.
接下来,作为主人最好的做法就是给他们一个互相交流的理由。
And then from there, the best thing to do as the host is give them a reason to talk to each other.
例如,你可以说,奥布里,你真的应该和林赛聊聊,因为你们俩都非常喜欢户外活动。
For example, you could say, Aubrey, you should really talk to Lindsay because you both are super outdoorsy.
也许你们都住在纽约上西区,或者你们有什么共同点
Maybe you both live on the Upper West Side, whatever you might have
。
in common.
没错,我非常喜欢这种方式。
Yes, and I love that.
这太聪明了,因为这表明你了解这两个人。
That's so smart because it means that you know both people.
你明确表达了你了解他们。
You're articulating that you know them.
这本身就是一种连接技巧,而且能让他们感到更自信。
It's a connection skill already, and it makes them feel more confident.
所以,给他们信心去打招呼或参与介绍。
So, giving them the confidence boost to go over and say hi or to be part of that introduction.
并且给他们一些可以互相询问的话题。
And to give them something to ask each other about.
随你怎么说,你知道的,然后我们可以,哦,你喜欢户外活动。
Whatever you say, you know, then we can, Oh, you're outdoorsy.
你喜欢徒步吗?
Do you like to hike?
你将拥有这个可以用来开启话题。
You're going to have this that you can jumpstart a conversation about.
太棒了。
Huge.
这个真的很不错。
That's a really good one.
所以听众们记下来吧。
So write that down listeners.
但我们还有更多。
But we have more.
这还不是全部。
That's not only the only ones.
还有什么建议,奥布里?
What else Aubrey?
还有什么要补充的?确实。
What else do Exactly.
你也可以说,哦,嘿,珍妮特,你见过我的朋友林赛吗?
You could also say, Oh, hey, Janet, have you met my friend Lindsey?
她和我是在...认识的,然后你们就可以分享了,对吧?
She and I know each other from and then you share, right?
我们是打排球认识的朋友。
We were volleyball friends.
我们在跑步俱乐部相识。
We know each other from a running club.
无论是大学、研究生院,还是其他任何相识的方式,
Whatever it is, college, grad school, however you know each
都要让这位共同的朋友知道你们之间是如何产生联系的。
other, let this mutual friend know, you know, how you are connected to this friend.
再说一遍,即便是这样简单的信息也能提供一些线索。
And again, even this even just gives a little bit of information.
如果你说我们在研究生院认识的,对方可能会跟新朋友聊起:'你在哪里读的研究生?'
If you say we met in grad school, maybe this person goes and talks to their new friend and says, oh, where did you go to grad school?
'你在波士顿上的学?是哪所学校?'
You went to school in Boston, which school?
然后你们就能
And then you're off
顺利展开话题。
to the races.
对吧?
Right?
没错。
Exactly.
对。
Right.
这再次为你提供了一个有趣对话的起点。
This gives you again the starting point for an interesting conversation.
至少他们可以询问你与这个人的关系,对吧?
If nothing else, they can ask you about your connection to this person, right?
目标始终是给他们创造机会,这样即使你被临时叫走——比如去应门或被人拉住——他们也能继续聊天,而不是尴尬地各自走开。
The goal is always to give them the opportunity that if you then are pulled away, you have to answer the door, someone grabs you, they could continue chatting instead of awkwardly walking away from each other.
给人们一点提示,一点推动。
Give people that heads up, that boost there.
下一个例子更简单,但非常自然。
The next one is just, again, more simple but very natural.
对吧?
Right?
很常见。
Very common.
比如说:‘我一直想介绍你认识林赛。’
Saying something like, oh, I've been wanting to introduce you to Lindsay.
假设我们看到珍在角落,我和奥布里你在派对上,我看到了珍。
Let's say we see or we see Jen over in the corner, and I see Jen, and you and I, Aubrey, are at a party.
然后我想:‘我一直想介绍你认识珍。’
And I think, oh, I've been wanting to introduce you to Jen.
比如现在我们可以一起走过去找她。
So maybe now you and I walk over to her, for example.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
对吗?
Right?
然后其他人就会开始。
And then these others would start.
确实如此。
Exactly.
没错。
Right.
因为通常你会在远离他人的地方只与一个人聊天。
Because often, you'll be chatting with just one person away from anyone else.
所以与其说‘珍,过来这边’。
So rather than be like, Jen, come over here.
在美国文化中,更礼貌的做法是带你的朋友过去见他们。
The more polite thing in American culture would be to bring your friend to them.
是的。
Yes.
哦,你说得对。
Oh, You're right.
这是个好观点,奥布里。
That's a good point, Aubrey.
如果你说‘珍,过来’会显得有点粗鲁。
That would be a little bit rude if you're like, Jen, come here.
对吧?
Right?
应该是'你正被召唤'。
It would You're be being summoned.
没错。
Exactly.
好的,最后一个是什么?
Alright, what's the last one?
最后一个是,你应该和他们聊聊,然后说出他们的名字。
The last one is, you should talk to, and then name them.
然后可能,你知道的,他就是我之前跟你提到的在英特尔工作的那个人。
And then maybe, you know, he's the one I was telling you about who works for Intel.
你们都在科技行业,不管具体做什么,对吧?
You're both in tech, whatever it is, right?
如果他们在你旁边,你可以直接开始对话或引导他们去见另一个人。
You are going to same either if they're right by you, then it's easy you just start the conversation or lead them over to the other person.
展开剩余字幕(还有 205 条)
这样就很好了,比如,哦,如果你已经分享过关于这个朋友的信息(通常都是这样)。
And this is great to be like, Oh, if you have already shared information about this friend, which is usually the case.
这就是我之前跟你提到的那个人。
This is the person I was telling you about.
仔细想想,不给任何背景信息确实有点尴尬。
If you think about it, it's kind of awkward to not give any context.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
就像是说,嘿,我想让你见见这个人。
It's like, hey, I want you to meet this person.
好的。
Okay.
再见。
Bye.
玩得开心。
Have fun.
你知道吗?
You know?
是的。
Yes.
再见。
See you.
对吧?
Right?
有点奇怪。
It's kind of weird.
但这应该能让我们的听众获得许可,你知道,只要在你所处的文化中这是被接受的。
But this should give our listeners permission, you know, as long as you're in a culture where it's accepted.
这样做。
Do this.
介绍人们认识。
Introduce people.
让人们建立那些最初可能只是弱联系的关系,这些关系最终可能发展成强联系,不仅能助力他们的事业,还能构建一个更丰富的人际网络生活。
Let people create those weak ties that may eventually become strong ties, but could help their career and just build a more robust life full of connections.
对吧,奥布里?
Right, Aubrey?
完全正确。
Absolutely.
这不仅能让你举办的派对更有趣,还能让你结识更多来自不同背景的多元化朋友。
Not only will you make your party a lot more fun, and you'll have a lot more diversity of friends from different backgrounds.
而且就像你说的,林赛,你实际上是在帮助朋友们搭建人脉网络,让他们能结交到其他好朋友。
But also, like you said, Lindsay, you are really setting up your friends to be able to network and make other good friends.
说得对。
You got it.
不错。
Nice.
欢迎回到我们的角色扮演环节。
So welcome back for our role play here.
对于正在YouTube观看的观众们,我们有一位非常特别的嘉宾,你们可能已经注意到了,因为这次角色扮演需要三个声音。
And we have a very special guest for those who are watching on YouTube, you noticed, because we need three voices for this role play.
所以我丈夫科尔会来帮我们完成这个环节。
So my husband Cole here is going to help us out.
林赛 完全正确。
Lindsay Absolutely.
其实,我会
Actually, I'll
给你
give you a
简单介绍一下背景。
little background.
这个角色扮演是关于生日派对的。
This role play is a birthday party.
是的。
Yes.
林赛正在和我聊天,你的朋友奥布里也在,这时你的另一个朋友马克到了。
Lindsay is chatting with me, your friend Aubrey, and another friend of yours, Mark arrives.
好的。
Alright.
我们开始吧。
Let's get into it.
来了。
Here we go.
哦,嘿,马克。
Oh, hey, Mark.
很高兴你能来。
Glad you made it.
你们见过吗?
Have you guys met?
奥布里,这是马克。
Aubrey, this is Mark.
他和我是在跑步俱乐部认识的。
He and I know each other from Running Club.
不。
No.
我想我们没见过。
I don't think we've met.
嗨。
Hi.
嗨。
Hi.
很高兴认识你。
It's nice to meet you.
奥布里和我是大学同学。
Aubrey and I are college friends.
所以其实你们有很多共同点,因为你们都玩攀岩。
So, actually, you guys have a lot in common since you both rock climb.
哦,太棒了。
Oh, that's awesome.
你一般在哪儿攀岩?
Where do you climb?
主要在凤凰岩馆,但有时也会去户外抱石。
Mostly at Phoenix On The Rocks, but I boulder outside sometimes.
你呢?
What about you?
我喜欢《凤凰磐石》。
I love Phoenix on the Rocks.
那是个很棒的健身房。
That's a great gym.
你得告诉我你常去的抱石地点。
You'll have to tell me about your bouldering spots.
我知道的不多。
I don't know very many.
奥布里,你应该知道。
And Aubrey, you should know.
马克就是我跟你提过的那位为《纽约客》撰稿的人。
Mark's the one I was telling you about who rides for the New Yorker.
哦,我一直想见你。
Oh, I've been wanting to meet you.
林赛提到你写过一些非常有趣的文章。
Lindsay mentioned you've written some really interesting articles.
你做这行多久了?
How long have you been doing that?
太棒了。
Awesome.
科尔,谢谢你的加入。
Thank you for joining us, Cole.
我们非常感谢你参与这次角色扮演。
We appreciate your help on this role play.
好的。
Yeah.
太棒了。
Excellent.
谢谢你,科尔。
Thank you, Cole.
谢谢。
Thanks.
好的。
Alright.
那么我们来过一遍这个角色扮演吧。
So let's go through this role play here.
好的。
Yes.
嗯。
Yeah.
你先开始说,比如:嘿,马克。
Let's do You first started by saying, you know, oh, hey, Mark.
很高兴你能来。
Glad you made it.
是的。
Yes.
然后我就紧挨着站在那里。
And then I am standing there closely.
所以你说,你们见过面吗?
So you say, have you guys met?
嗯。
Mhmm.
奥布里,这位是马克。
Aubrey, this is Mark.
然后你马上说,他和我是在跑步俱乐部认识的。
And then right away, you say he and I know each other from running club.
是的。
Yes.
所以你给了我这么多参与对话的理由,把我拉进来。
So you're giving me so many reasons to be there for the conversation pulling me in.
我很喜欢。
I love it.
这样开场太有力了,我们能看到你们的共同点。
Such a strong way to start it off, and we see what what you have in common.
真的,真的很好。
Really, really good.
然后我们还说了什么,奥布里?
And then what else do we say, Aubrey?
这里的关键短语是什么?
What are the key phrases here?
就像我们刚才说的,那就是我们互相介绍的地方。
So then, like we're saying, that's where we would introduce each other.
我们还没见过面。
We haven't met yet.
对吧?
Right?
你刚才叫了我的名字,奥布里。
You had said my name, Aubrey.
这是马克。
This is Mark.
所以我不需要说我的名字是奥布里,我只需要说,
So I don't need to say my name's Aubrey, but I just say,
不,我想我们没见过。
no, I don't think we've met.
嗨。
Hi.
然后因为你已经说了我们俩的名字,你知道,他说,嗨,很高兴认识你。
And then because you've given both our names, you know, he said, hi, nice to meet you.
对。
Yeah.
然后你用了这个策略,分享你是怎么认识我的,对吧?
And then you use this strategy of sharing how you know me, right?
奥布里和我是大学同学。
Aubrey and I are college friends.
是的。
Yes.
然后马上就能发现,你们其实有很多共同点。
And then right away jumping into actually, you guys have a lot in common.
你们俩都攀岩。
You both rock climb.
我喜欢这个。
I love that.
我喜欢这个。
I love that.
这真的能让对话顺利进行下去。
And that's really going to get the conversation going.
然后我们这里还要说些什么?
And then what else do we say here?
有趣的是这并不全由主持人主导,对吧?
And then it's interesting because it's not all on the host, right?
然后我说,这太棒了。
I then said, that's awesome.
你在哪里攀岩?
Where do you climb?
我立刻顺着这个话题展开。
I immediately am building on that.
这时候,你其实可以结束对话了。
At that point, you could walk away.
我们要讨论的是攀岩,对吧?
We're going to be talking about rock climbing, right?
多酷的
What a cool
感觉。
feeling.
我正把他拉进这次对话,询问我们共同拥有的这项爱好的细节。
I'm pulling him into this conversation, asking for details about this thing that we have in common.
没错。
Yep.
而且它
And it
如果你已经完成了介绍,并且觉得现在可以离开,那确实是一种很酷的感觉。
really is a cool feeling if you've made that introduction and you feel that you can now walk away.
这就是成功。
That is success right there.
正是如此。
Exactly.
对吧?
Right?
是啊。
Yeah.
而且你可以的。
And you could.
对吧?
Right?
然后他开始说,哦,我在菲尼克斯的岩石上攀岩,还在户外抱石,我们大概能聊上一个小时。
Then he starts saying, oh, I climb at Phoenix on the rocks and I boulder outdoors, and we could chat about that for an hour probably.
所以如果你需要去应门或补充零食,完全可以。
So if you need to go answer the door or refill the chips, you could.
是的。
Yes.
我很喜欢。
I love it.
然后让我们看看。
And then let's see.
我在奥布里说过,你应该知道的。
I said in Aubrey, you should know.
所以我其实还没完全退出对话。
So I haven't actually left the conversation quite yet.
对吧?
Right?
我说过,你应该知道马克就是我之前跟你提过为《纽约客》撰稿的那个人。
I said, you should know Mark's the one I was telling you about who writes for The New Yorker.
所以只是额外补充一点点信息,好让我们回顾之前聊过的内容。
So just a tiny little bit of extra information to refer back to a conversation we've already had.
是的。
Yes.
这正是你给予人们建立人脉的机会。
And this is where you're giving the chance to network.
也许我是个作家。
Maybe I'm a writer.
也许我是个自由职业者。
Maybe I'm a freelancer.
又或许你只是知道我会感兴趣。
Or maybe you just know that I would be interested.
我读《纽约客》。
I read The New Yorker.
我会对这些文章感兴趣的。
I would be interested in these articles.
所以,这就是你给人们的机会,让他们能多了解彼此一点,从而意识到其实他们有很多话题可聊。
So, it's just that opportunity you're giving people to know a little bit more about each other so they realize they actually have a lot to talk about.
太棒了。
Love it.
然后你说,哦,我一直想认识你。
And then you said, Oh, I've been wanting to meet you.
对吧?
Right?
这很令人兴奋,因为现在被介绍给你的人很可能也想和你交谈,因为你表现出了这种热情。
So that's exciting because now the person you're being introduced to is probably going to want to talk with you because you're showing that enthusiasm.
对吧?
Right?
知道你在过去曾高度评价过某人,这对他们来说是多么大的赞美啊,对吧?
And what a compliment for someone to know that you have spoken highly of them in the past, right?
马克的哦,就是我之前跟你提过的那位给《纽约客》撰稿的作家。
Mark's Oh, the one I was telling you about who writes for The New Yorker.
很明显你为这位朋友及其成就感到骄傲。
It's very clear that you are proud of this friend and their accomplishments.
这是建立联系的绝佳方式。
That's such a great way to connect.
是的。
Yes.
太棒了。
So good.
奥布里,这段角色扮演真精彩。
What a good role play here, Aubrey.
今天我们这期节目的重点是什么?
What is our takeaway for today's episode?
对,问题在于:你会融合你的社交圈吗?
Yeah, the question is, do you blend your bubbles?
如果不这么做,也许你应该试试,对吧?
And if not, maybe you should, right?
即便在你的文化中这并不常见。
Even if in your culture, it's not quite as common.
有这么多的理由值得这么做。
There are so many reasons to do this.
所以我觉得这是个值得思考的有趣问题。
So I think it's interesting to think about.
当然,也存在反对的理由。
Certainly, are reasons not to.
所以这事可能有两种结果,但融合这些圈子的理由也很充分。
So it could go either way, but a lot of reasons to blend those bubbles.
是啊。
Yeah.
如果我们想从文化层面更深入地思考——我就喜欢深挖——想想更有趣的问题,对我来说永远是:为什么某种文化现象会以特定方式存在?
And then if we wanna think even deeper on the cultural level, which I love going deep, think about the more interesting question, which is always to me, it's always why is something the way it is culturally?
一个国家究竟有什么特质?
What is it about a country?
比如,如果你认为你的国家可能是个不融合圈子的国家,那是为什么?
You know, if you if you think your country is maybe a country that doesn't blend bubbles, why is that?
是历史、地理、气候还是经济结构的原因?
Is it something about the history, the geography, the weather, the economic structures?
到底是什么造就了那种社会规范?
Like, what is it that's created that social norm?
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
对吧?
Right?
因为你提到的那些弱关系,可能正是你或你商业伙伴成功的关键,关键在于结交新朋友,建立新联系。
Because those weak ties you were talking about could really be the key to success either for you or one of your friends in business, just making new friends, making new connections.
是的。
Yes.
所以如果你找出原因或大致明白原因,你可能会意识到这不是我必须遵循的事情。
So if you find out why or discover sort of why, you might realize this isn't something that I have to follow.
我可以尝试混合这些想法泡泡,看看能从中孕育出什么。
I can try to mix these bubbles and see what could grow from it.
没错,这个观点很好。
Yeah, that's a good point.
我是说,即使在历史悠久的古老国家,我们也不必总是按传统方式行事。
I mean, even in very old countries, right, that have a long history, we don't have to keep doing something the way we've always done it.
对吧?
Right?
我们可以改变它。
We could change that.
事物是会变化的。
Things can change.
非常有意思,各位。
So super interesting, guys.
如果你喜欢我们这种重连接而非完美的风格,现在就点击节目关注按钮吧。
If you love our style of connection, not perfection, hit the follow button on the show right now.
说得好,奥布里。
Good stuff, Aubrey.
太棒了。
Awesome.
感谢分享这个见解。
Thanks for bringing this insight Yeah.
来自你的旅行见闻,琳赛。
From your trip, Lindsay.
总是这么有趣。
Always super interesting.
是啊。
Yeah.
旅行永远是获取精彩节目灵感的最佳方式。
Travel is always the best way to get great episode ideas.
你不觉得吗?
Don't you think?
完全同意。
Absolutely.
我赞同。
I agree.
好的。
Alright.
回头聊。
Talk to you soon.
祝你
Have a
日安。
good day.
你也是。
You too.
再见。
Bye.
感谢收听《全神贯注学英语》。
Thanks for listening to All Ears English.
你想知道自己的英语水平吗?
Would you like to know your English level?
参加我们两分钟的小测试吧。
Take our two minute quiz.
访问allearsenglish.com/fluencyscore。
Go to allearsenglish.com forward slash fluency score.
如果你相信连接比完美更重要,现在就点击订阅,确保你不会错过任何内容。
And if you believe in connection not perfection, then hit subscribe now to make sure you don't miss anything.
下次见。
See you next time.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。