本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这是All Ears English播客的第三期。
This is an All Ears English podcast episode three.
你什么时候该学英语?
When should you study English?
欢迎收听All Ears English播客,在这里你将真正掌握用于工作和生活的地道英语对话与流利表达。
Welcome to the All Ears English podcast where you'll finally get real native English conversation and fluency for business and life.
我们在学习英语时,注重的是连接与交流,而不是完美无缺。
We believe in connection, not perfection when it comes to learning English.
现在,让我们欢迎两位主持人:英语冒险家林赛·麦马洪,以及来自纽约的电台女孩米歇尔·卡普兰,他们将从波士顿和纽约市为您带来本期节目。
Now here are your hosts, Lindsey McMahon, the English adventurer, and Michelle Kaplan, the New York radio girl coming to you from Boston and New York City, USA.
你该在早上、下午还是晚上学英语?
Should you study English in the morning, the afternoon, or the evening?
答案取决于你的意志力、精力和自身的身体状态。
The answer depends on willpower, energy, and your own body.
今天就来听听答案吧。
Listen in to get the answer today.
你有没有过从会议中走出来时,想着‘我本可以说得更好’?
Have you ever walked out of a meeting thinking, I could have said that better.
你什么都听懂了,但你的回应却简短、模糊,或者不像你平时的样子。
You understood everything but your response came out short or unclear or not quite like you.
也许你的想法很有力量,但你的英语还没能展现出来。
Maybe your ideas are strong but your English doesn't show it yet.
你会忘记那些你明明知道的单词。
You forget words you know.
你无法自然流畅地表达,快速的对话让你默默追赶。
You can't explain things naturally and fast conversations leave you quietly catching up.
这种差距可能让人沮丧,但它非常具体,也完全可以弥补。
That gap can be frustrating but it's also very specific and very fixable.
我们的两分钟流利度测试能帮你了解这种差距在哪里,以及你的水平是B1、B2还是C1。
Our two minute fluency quiz helps you understand where that gap is and whether your level is b one, b two, or c one.
当你清楚自己的水平后,进步会感觉更轻松、更快。
When you know your level, progress feels lighter and faster.
现在就去 allearsenglish.com/fluencyscore 参加测验,更接近用你思考的方式说英语。
Take the quiz now at allearsenglish.com/fluencyscore and move closer to speaking English the way you think.
再强调一次,去 allearsenglish.com/fluencyscore。
One more time, go to allearsenglish.com/fluencyscore.
今天怎么样,米歇尔?
How's it going today, Michelle?
你最近好吗?
How are you?
嘿,林赛。
Hey, Lindsay.
我很好。
I'm good.
我很好。
I'm good.
你呢?
How are you?
太棒了。
Awesome.
我想以一个今天节目的有趣问题开始,那就是你认为我们的听众什么时候该学英语?
I wanna start off with an interesting question for today's episode, and that is when do you think our listeners should study English?
他们应该在早上、下午还是晚上学习?
Should they study in the morning, the afternoon, or the evening?
你怎么看?
What do you think?
这是个很好的问题,老实说,我觉得这是一个非常个人化的问题。
That's a great question, and I think it's a very personal question, to be honest.
我不确定是否有一个适用于所有人的答案。
I don't know if there's one answer for everybody.
是的。
Yes.
我认为你必须了解自己。
I think you have to know yourself.
对我来说,你知道我的性格,我更像是个晚上型的人。
So for me, like, you know me, I'm I'm more of like an evening person.
但晚上型的人的问题是,你并不总想在晚上学习,因为那是晚上。
But the problem for evening people is you don't always wanna study in the evening because that's the evening.
所以,是的。
So, like Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
这有点棘手,但你得弄清楚自己的优势在什么时候。
It's kinda it's kinda tricky, but you have to kinda know when where your strengths lie.
对吧?
Right?
那你如何克服这个问题呢?
So how do you work around that?
因为我知道,米歇尔,我们这个播客是在不同时间录制的。
Because I know, Michelle, we have recorded this podcast at all different times.
有时候我们会在早上录制。
Like, sometimes we record in the morning.
我们已经在这里录了几集。
We've done a few episodes here.
早上录制。
Record in the morning.
我们晚上录制。
We record in the evening.
我知道你通常晚上状态更好,就像你说的,更有活力,但有时候你不得不在早上工作。
I know you're usually more on in the evening, like you said, more energy, but sometimes you have to work in the morning.
你是怎么应对这种情况的?
How do you deal with that?
你是怎么让自己醒过来的?
How do you wake yourself up?
喝咖啡啊,老兄。
Coffee, man.
就这样了。
That's all.
比如,我们这些晚上工作的人,必须得适应整个社会的作息,因为这里是个典型的早起文化。
Like, I can't like, there's not you know, the evening people, we have to kinda, like, work around the rest of society because it is such a, like, a morning culture.
是的。
Yes.
所以其实没什么办法。
So there's really nothing.
不幸的是,有时候管用,有时候不管用。
Unfortunately, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
但就我们的听众而言,我觉得你得了解自己,了解自己的日程安排。
But, like, as far as our listeners, I just think it's you have to know yourself, you have to know your schedule.
我不认为有一个绝对最佳的时间。
I don't think that there's, like, one best time.
你觉得呢,林赛?
What do you think, Lindsay?
是的。
Yeah.
我同意。
I agree.
我的意思是,我本来想赶紧问你一下。
I mean, I was just gonna ask you real quick.
你上大学的时候也是这样吗?
Were you that way in college too?
你上大学的时候,是不是那个凌晨两点还在熬夜学习的孩子?
Were you that that kid that was up late studying at 2AM when you were in college?
我很好奇。
I'm curious.
你知道吗?
You know what?
我不记得了。
I don't remember.
我想说的是,你不记得了。
I'd like You don't remember.
我记得有一次熬到很晚很晚,但我从来做不到的是通宵学习,我只通宵过一次,就这样。
I I I do remember once staying up very, very late, but the thing I could never do was pull like, I only did one all nighter and, like Okay.
虽然我能熬到很晚,但我就是没法熬一整夜然后直接去参加考试。
As much as I can stay up late, I cannot just, like, then stay up all night and then go directly into a test.
那种事,我做不到。
Like that, I didn't
我也做不到。
I couldn't do that.
是的。
Yeah.
所以这是给我们的听众的一个很棒的表达。
So that's a great phrase for our listeners.
今天的一个额外短语,朋友们:通宵学习。
A bonus phrase for today, guys, to pull an all nighter.
我觉得我们以前聊过这个,但这是什么意思呢,米歇尔?
I think we've talked about this before, but what does that mean, Michelle?
熬通宵,不睡觉,通常是在考试之类的之前。
To stay up all night and not go to sleep, usually before some sort of test or something.
我这么做的时候感觉糟透了。
Oh, I feel awful when I do that.
我也没这么干过,米歇尔。
I I I've never done that either, Michelle.
但确实如此。
But yeah.
所以我只是想知道,作为成年人后你的习惯有没有改变,还是说你一直这样?
So I just wondered if your habits have changed as an adult or whether you were the same way.
我们这一生都是这样吗?
Is this true our whole lives?
至于我的回答,我对这个问题的看法是,确实如此。
But in terms of my answer, my my opinion on this Yeah.
我觉得这也非常个人化。
I think it's very personal too.
对我来说,我和你恰恰相反。
For me, I'm the opposite of you.
我是早起型的人。
I'm a morning person.
对我来说,这归结为意志力。
And for me, it comes down to willpower.
你知道吗,我在Medium.com上发现了一句很棒的话,说意志力是抵抗短期诱惑以实现长期目标的能力。
You know, I found this great quote on medium.com, which says that willpower is the ability to resist short term temptations in order to meet long term goals.
所以对我来说,这意味着意志力就像一块肌肉。
So what that means for me is that willpower is a muscle.
它会耗尽。
It runs out.
所以我在早上开始时状态极佳,感觉非常好,头脑清晰,充满能量和意志力。
So I start the morning so strong, feeling so good, so clear, so much energy and mind power and willpower.
但到了三四点,我就开始查邮件了。
But by three or four, I'm checking my email.
我刷Facebook。
I'm checking Facebook.
我就是快撑不住了。
I'm I'm just I'm losing it.
所以对我来说,如果我要像我们的听众一样学英语,我一定会在早上立刻就开始。
So for me, if I were trying to study English, like our listeners, I would definitely get to it right away in the morning.
那会是我早上做的第一件事。
It would be the first thing I would do in the morning.
Michelle,你对这个怎么看?
What do you think about that, Michelle?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我觉得这样很好。
I mean, I think that that's good.
我觉得你了解自己。
I think you know yourself.
你知道的。
You know?
而且我觉得,没错,当你有那股意志力爆发的时候,那就是你最有效率的时候。
And I think, yeah, when you are going to have that burst of willpower, that's when that's when you're gonna be the most productive.
对吧?
Right?
但有时候,这在我们的生活中并不奏效。
Now sometimes it doesn't work out for our lives.
对吧?
Right?
比如,你不能,嗯。
Like, you can't, like yeah.
比如,我不能就在晚上11点,当我那时可能意志力最强的时候,去工作。
Like, I can't just, like, work every night at, like, 11PM, you know, when I I might have the most willpower then.
因为我就是这样的人,就在昨天,我一整天都累得不行。
Because I'm the type of person, like, just yesterday, I was, like, I was exhausted all day.
累得不行。
Exhausted.
终于到了该上床休息的时候了,我心想:你知道吗?
And it is finally time to get it back into bed, and I'm like, you know what?
我感觉好些了。
I feel better.
这太疯狂了。
That's so crazy.
你居然在晚上11点突然有这种能量爆发,这太不可思议了。
That's so crazy that you get that burst of energy at 11PM.
我确实如此。
I do.
所以我总是得把自己硬塞进一个真正的生活日程里。
So, like, I always have to scrunch myself into, you know, a real life schedule.
所以你知道,有时候意志力并不总是能和现实生活同步。
So, you know, sometimes that willpower doesn't always coincide with, like, real life.
所以你得找到一个平衡点,比如什么时候对你来说是最好的,什么时候你才能最现实地安排?
So you kinda have to find that mix between, like, when is, like, the best time for you and when it can you be most realistic?
而且,只有你自己才能回答这个问题。
And, you know, only you can answer that for for yourself.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得这太对了,米歇尔。
I think that's so true, Michelle.
我以前听说过,很多创意型的人——你肯定是创意型的。
I've heard in the past that a lot of creative types you're a creative type for sure.
你做音乐,做表演,很多这类人确实晚上才最有活力。
You know, you do music, you do acting, and a lot of them do come alive at night.
我确实在不同地方都听过这种说法。
I've I've heard that in different places for sure.
所以
So that
这对你来说完全合理。
makes total sense for you.
但,是的,这个世界在某种程度上对你有点不利。
But, yeah, the world is kind of a little bit against you a little bit in this way.
对吧?
Right?
我们是的。
We Yeah.
我们早上很早就去上班。
We show up at work early in the morning.
人们期望我们在早上9点就进入状态。
We're expected to be on at 9AM.
所以谁知道呢?
So who knows?
也许未来情况会有所改变。
Maybe things will change in the future.
但各位,我的意思是,米歇尔,这里的重点是什么?
But, guys, the point is I mean, what is the takeaway, Michelle, here?
学习英语时,他们应该什么时候学习?
When it comes to study English, when should they study?
我们的听众应该什么时候学习英语?
When should our listeners study English?
重点是什么?
What's the takeaway?
我认为重点是了解自己。
I think the takeaway is know yourself.
是的。
Yes.
而且真的,不要勉强自己去适应那些固定的时间表,除非你必须这么做。
And really, like, don't try and fit yourself into unless, you know, set schedules, you have to.
但真的要尽力去学习。
But, like, really try your best to, like, study.
即使不是在固定时间严格学习,也没关系。
Even if it's not, like, strict studying at a certain time, Like, maybe okay.
对我来说,如果我在学一门语言,晚上11点终于感觉状态来了,准备好好学了,但该睡觉了。
For me, like, if I were studying a language and it's, like, 11PM and I finally feel alive and, like, I'm, like, ready to go, but it's time to go to sleep.
你懂的。
You know?
也许这样也可以。
Maybe okay.
好吧。
Fine.
也许可以放松一下,比如。
Maybe, like, wind down with, like Right.
你知道的,记五个新单词,我就这样,嗯。
You know, five new words, and I just, like Mhmm.
你知道的。
You know?
这有点是我能期待的事情,比如当我放松的时候,或者类似的情况。
It's kinda something that I can look forward to, like, when I'm relaxing or something like that.
所以让它变得有趣。
So make it fun.
你知道的。
You know?
知道你什么时候会有那股意志力爆发。
Know when you are going to have that burst of willpower.
即使这并不是和世界其他地方同步的时间段,你仍然可以做点什么。
And even if it's not, like, the time of day that goes along with the rest of the world, like, you can still do something.
比如,仍然试着去捕捉并利用你当时的那种能量,哪怕只有一点点,因为哪怕一点点也有帮助。
Like, still, like, kinda try and soak up that, you know, energy that you have and use it in some way, even if it's just a little bit because that even a little bit helps.
我超喜欢,太好了。
I love that so good.
我太喜欢了。
I love it.
了解你自己。
Know yourself.
这就是关键所在,米歇尔。
That is the key right there, Michelle.
好的。
Alright.
好了,今天就到这里。
Well, that's it for today.
谢谢你的陪伴。
Thanks for hanging out.
这确实是个有趣的主题。
It's been an interesting topic for sure.
当然。
Definitely.
太棒了。
Love it.
祝你今天愉快,林赛。
Have a good one, Lindsay.
很快再聊。
Talk to you soon.
再见。
Bye.
再见。
Bye.
感谢收听《All Ears English》。
Thanks for listening to All Ears English.
如果你相信连接而非完美,请在你收听播客的平台关注我们的节目,确保不错过任何内容。
And if you believe in connection, not perfection, follow our show wherever you listen to podcasts to make sure you don't miss anything.
下次见。
See you next time.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。