本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
巨大的泡沫与那些被过度炒作的重大投资理念相关。
The great bubbles are associated with great investment ideas that get overdone.
这必须是认真的。
It has to be serious.
而且理想情况下,它必须明显是认真的。
And ideally, it has to be obviously serious.
铁路是最好的例子,其次是互联网。
Railroads are the best example, followed by the Internet.
如果你看到铁路将改变世界,那么你当然想投资。
If you see that railroads are going to change the world, then of course you want to invest.
正是它们的明显性和重要性。
It was precisely their obviousness and their importance.
互联网,大多数人能看出它相当重要,最终会改变世界。
Internet, most people could see that it was pretty serious, that it would eventually change the world.
亚马逊在2000年左右上涨了六倍左右。
Amazon went up six times, something like that in 2000.
尽管这是一个成功的理念,但它的股价下跌了92%。
Even though it was a successful idea, it went down 92.
去看看吧。
Check it.
在泡沫破裂时,它下跌了92%,随后又卷土重来,最终主宰了市场。
It went down 92% in the bust, and then it rose again to inherit the earth.
这在某种程度上并不罕见。
That isn't in a way exceptional.
这才是你应当预期的情况。
That's what you should expect.
如今,英伟达看起来就像当年的亚马逊,资金规模远超历史上任何资本支出计划,每个人心中都清楚,这是他们一生中见过的最大的机遇。
So here we are with NVIDIA looking like Amazon Square, the money dwarfing any CapEx program in history, Everyone being clear in their mind that this is the biggest thing they've ever had in their lives.
他们是对的。
And they're right.
确实如此。
It is.
因此,这个投资计划几乎肯定会过度。
That's why the investment program is almost certain to be overdone.
我是泰德·塞德斯,欢迎收听《资本配置者》。
I'm Ted Seides, and this is Capital Allocators.
今天节目的嘉宾是杰里米·格兰瑟姆,他于1977年共同创立了总部位于波士顿的资产管理公司GMO,管理资产规模达一千亿美元。
My guest on today's show is Jeremy Grantham, the co founder of GMO, a $100,000,000,000 Boston based asset management firm he co founded in 1977.
在六十多年的市场生涯中,杰里米一直是价值投资、市场泡沫和长期投资方面最受尊敬、最直言不讳的声音之一。
Over six decades in markets, Jeremy has been one of the most respected and outspoken voices on value, market bubbles, and long term investing.
他最近与爱德华·钱德勒合著出版了《一个永久看空者的诞生》,记录了他职业生涯中的经历与投资心得。
He recently published The Making of a Permabear with Edward Chancellor, an account of his career and investment lessons learned along the way.
我们的对话从杰里米在战时约克郡成长过程中学到的节俭课,以及他对数字和投资的兴趣开始。
Our conversation begins with Jeremy's early lessons in frugality growing up in wartime Yorkshire and his interest in numbers and investing.
我们回顾了他从创立Batterymarch到创办GMO的职业历程,经历了价值投资的黄金时期、互联网泡沫带来的痛苦教训,以及此后面临的种种挑战。
We trace his career through the founding of Batterymarch and GMO, the golden period of value, the painful lessons of the dot com bubble, and the challenges since.
我们探讨了杰里米识别和应对市场泡沫的框架、职业风险,以及当前的人工智能投资热潮,并以他为改变环境轨迹而开展的重要慈善工作以及他在基金会中采用的投资策略作为结尾。
We cover Jeremy's framework for identifying and navigating market bubbles, career risk, and the current AI investment boom, and close with his essential philanthropic work to change the trajectory of the environment alongside the investment strategy he deploys in his foundation.
在我们开始之前,经过漫长的冬天,我们终于开始看到季节更替的迹象。
Before we get going, after a long winter, we're starting to see green shoots in the changing of the season.
棒球的春训、篮球的三月疯狂,还有网球的阳光双打,都提醒我们希望永存。
Spring training for baseball, March madness for basketball, and the sunshine double in tennis all remind us that hope springs eternal.
但如今,对另一份挑战清单保持乐观却变得困难了。
But these days, it's harder to be optimistic about another list
了
of
挑战。
challenges.
私募市场的流动性、全球和平,以及跟上我儿子埃里克制作幽默传播视频的步伐。
Private market liquidity, peace around the world, and keeping up with my son, Eric, in creating witty spread the word clips.
我现在搞不清楚私募信贷会发生什么,私募股权瓶颈何时缓解,什么基准能取代标普500,或者为什么这么多人联系我,评论埃里克对这档节目毫无兴趣。
Now I can't figure out what will happen in private credit, how the private equity bottleneck will ease, what benchmark should replace the S and P 500, or why so many people have reached out commenting on Eric's lack of interest in the show.
但我确信,答案将来自我们出色的嘉宾,你们应该鼓励所有同事收听,去发现真相。
But I do know that the answers await from our incredible guests, and you should encourage all your colleagues to listen in and find out that truth.
非常感谢你们的传播推广。
Thanks so much for spreading the word.
《资本配置者》由AlphaSense倾情呈现。
Capital Allocators is brought to you by AlphaSense.
专家访谈一直是建立投资信心最有力的方式之一,但如今投资者被要求覆盖更多公司,并在团队更精简的情况下更快行动。
Expert calls have always been one of the most powerful ways to build conviction, but today investors are asked to cover more companies and move faster with leaner teams.
借助AlphaSense以AI驱动的专家访谈服务,其Tigus团队会根据您的研究标准筛选专家,并让AI访谈员开始工作。
With AlphaSense's AI led expert calls, their Tigus call service team sources experts based on your research criteria and lets the AI interviewer get to work.
然后,他们更进一步。
Then they take it one step further.
您的访谈转录内容会无缝集成到AlphaSense平台中,变得可搜索、可对比,使您的核心洞察直接融入收益尽职调查和投资推介流程,无需切换工具。
Your call transcripts flow natively into your AlphaSense experience and become searchable and comparable, so your primary insights plug directly into your earnings diligence and pitch book workflows with no tool switching.
AI用于覆盖与效率,人类应对复杂性与建立信心。
AI for coverage and efficiency, humans for complexity and conviction.
这听起来正是打造可扩展的机构优势而不增加人力的完美组合。
Sounds like just the right mix to create a scalable institutional edge without growing headcount.
对于对冲基金而言,这意味着在财报发布前,可以向数十位专家而非寥寥数人验证投资假设。
For hedge funds, this means validating thesis assumptions before earnings across dozens of experts instead of a handful.
对于私募股权而言,这意味着更快的IOI前扫描和更深入的商业尽职调查。
For private equity, it means faster pre IOI scans and deeper commercial diligence.
对于资产管理公司而言,这意味着可以直接将实际从业者的观点融入模型,而无需依赖脱节的工具或手动交接。
And for asset managers, it means pulling real operators' perspective straight into models without disconnected tools or manual handoffs.
所有这些功能都集成在AlphaSense平台中,将原始对话转化为可比较且可审计的洞察。
All of this lives inside the AlphaSense platform, turning raw conversations into comparable auditable insight.
率先看到优势者胜出,其余人紧随其后。
The first to see wins, the rest follow.
了解更多,请访问 alphasense.com/capital。
Learn more at alphasense.com/capital.
《资本配置者》还由晨星为您提供。
Capital Allocators is also brought to you by Morningstar.
如果数据不仅仅是原始数字的堆砌,而是一种清晰而明确的语言,能够帮助在不断变化的市场环境中将投资策略与长期投资者需求联系起来,会怎样?
What if data wasn't just a bunch of raw numbers, but a clear and decisive language to help connect investment strategies with long term investor needs in a constantly evolving market landscape.
晨星创造了这种语言,为富含洞察的数据带来了秩序与实用性,使您无论面对何种资产类别或市场,都能为下一次机会做好准备。
Morningstar created that language, bringing order and utility to insight rich data so you can prepare for your next opportunity no matter the asset class or market.
访问 wheredataspeaks.com,了解晨星数据能为您带来什么。
Visit wheredataspeaks.com to see what Morningstar data can do for you.
请欣赏我与杰里米·格兰瑟姆的对话。
Please enjoy my conversation with Jeremy Grantham.
杰里米,非常感谢你加入我们。
Jeremy, thanks so much for joining me.
这是我的荣幸。
It's a pleasure.
我很想请你回顾一下对你投资信念和道路产生影响的童年经历。
I'd love you to take me back to the aspects of your upbringing that impacted your beliefs and path in investing.
我想最重要的就是我在二战期间长大。
I suppose the biggest one was that I grew up in World War two.
战争无处不在:灯火管制,人们挨家挨户检查窗帘是否拉好,没有汽车,所有车辆都被征用,只有少数出租车还在运行。
It was all around us, the blackout, people coming around to make sure that our curtains were drawn, no cars, cars were all unblocked, a few taxis.
每辆车的顶部都装有遮光板,以免向天空投射出太多光线。
Every vehicle had shutters over the top so that they wouldn't cast much light up into the sky.
一切都严重短缺。
There was a shortage of everything.
我当时并不知道,因为那就是我刚出生时的生活。
I didn't know because that was my life when I was new.
但我能感觉到每个人都在那种状态中。
But I could tell that everybody was in that frame.
你绝不允许浪费任何东西。
You weren't allowed to waste anything.
把盘子里的东西剩下来,简直令人难以想象。
The idea that you would leave anything on your plate was a horror show.
无论你去哪里,都有排队买食物的人群。
Everywhere you went there were lines for food.
甚至连面包和土豆这些最基本的食物都要排队购买。
There were even lines for bread and potato, the real basics.
几乎所有东西都需要配给券。
Almost everything was on coupons.
到战争结束时,要想买到一点像样的肉,你得攒上几周的配给券,然后去肉铺兑换,还得跟屠夫套近乎。
By the end of the war, to get anything looking like meat, you had to hoard your coupons for a few weeks and then cash them in and flirt with the butcher.
你觉得这种安排的哪个方面影响了你的思维方式?
What aspect of that setup do you think influenced how you thought?
我认为节俭是战争时期最重要的事。
I think frugality was the big thing in the war.
我在北方的一个煤矿小镇生活。
I was up in the North in a coal mining town.
约克郡,我们的家乡,本来就以节俭闻名。
Yorkshire, our county is famous for its frugality anyway.
这简直是双重打击。
That was two strikes.
后来,家里的男人——我的祖父,我父亲在海外,不久就在二战中去世了,他从小是贵格会教徒。
Then the man in the family, my grandfather, my father was overseas and then died fairly soon in World War II, had been brought up a Quaker.
所以这就是第三次了。
So that was strike three.
当你在二战时期的约克郡煤矿小镇遇到一个教友派信徒时,你几乎可以肯定,节俭已经深深融入了你的骨髓。
By the time you had a Quaker in a Yorkshire coal mining town in World War II, pretty well know that you're going to have frugality deep into your backbone.
我进餐厅时,仍然会看菜单,并考虑价格。
When I go into a restaurant, I still look at the menu and take price into account.
我知道有不少人和我一样这么做。
I know there's quite a lot of us who do that.
对我们中的一些人来说,问题不在于你有没有钱可花。
For some of us, it's not a question of whether you've got money on the piggyback.
问题在于什么才是对的,花冤枉钱去吃一顿无聊的饭,会变得非常不可接受。
It's a question of what is right and wasting money by paying more for some silly meal gets pretty high up on the agenda.
当你从小就把价值观念刻在骨子里,是什么让你对投资世界产生了兴趣?
When you had value in your veins very early on, what led you to the intrigue about the investment world?
我从小就喜欢数字。
I was into numbers.
我小时候认真玩大富翁,一边用一个小转盘记录数字,一边假装观看永无止境的板球比赛。
I grew up playing monopoly seriously, checking off numbers with a little roulette wheel while pretending to watch games of cricket that went on forever.
我和表弟会转动转盘,并在一本小册子上记录出现的数字。
My cousin and I would be spinning the roulette wheel and checking in a little book the numbers that came up.
我们这些十三四岁的孩子天真地以为,能开发出一套万无一失的系统,这倒好,趁早把这种想法从脑子里清除掉。
We had in our silly 13 year old minds the idea that we could develop an infallible system, which is good to get it out of your system at 13 and 14.
我确实这么做了。
And I did.
我记得第一次去法国赌场的日子。
I remember the first day I went into a casino in France.
那时我已经二十岁了。
By then I was 20.
我攒了一些钱,打算拿来投资并体验一下。
I had accumulated a few pounds that I was willing to invest in and experience.
所以凌晨两点三十分赌场一开门,我就和五位老奶奶一起进去了。
So at 02:30 when it opened, I went in accompanied by about five little old ladies.
他们掀开了覆盖在桌面上的罩子,那些罩子原本是用来防止阳光使绿色桌面褪色的。
They took off the cover from the tables that they used to keep the sunlight from fading the green tops.
我人生中第一次在真正的赌场玩了轮盘赌,输了一些英镑,但离开时觉得这趟经历物有所值。
And I played roulette for the first time in my life in the real place, lost a few pounds, and left feeling that it had been worth the experience.
我从小就在思考数字,思考赌博背后的来龙去脉。
I grew up thinking about numbers, thinking about the whys and wherefores of gambling.
当我16岁的时候,遇到一个购买股票的机会,我就去尝试了一下,看看是什么感觉。
When I came across the opportunity to buy a stock when I was 16, I took it to see what it was like.
那第一只股票是什么?
What was that first stock?
是Acro工程公司的A股。
It was Acro Engineering A shares.
Acro公司有一种专利脚手架,质量不错,卖得非常好。
Acro had a patented type of scaffolding, which was good, sold very well.
他们增长得不错,但过度举债,最终破产了。
They grew nicely, expanded on too much debt, and went bust.
并不是因为产品卖不出去,而是因为他们扩张过度了。
Not because the product wasn't selling, but because they overexpanded.
很常见,我理解。
Very common, I understand.
在投资成为你的职业之前,你还有哪些早期的投资尝试?
What were some of your other early ventures in investing before it became a profession?
当我上商学院时,我和一位英国同伴合作了。
When I was at business school, I got together with a fellow Englishman.
当时我们没几个人。
There weren't many of us.
我们分享投资想法,去图书馆阅读我们认为能带来优势的资料——那些价格昂贵、提供给所有证券经纪人的推荐报告。
We shared investment ideas, went into the library, read what we thought were the unfair advantage publications, vastly expensive publications that gave all the stockbrokers recommendations.
当然,以今天的眼光来看,这些东西一文不值。
Of course, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for it today.
但当时,我以为这能确保我们成功。
But at the time, I thought it guaranteed our success.
于是,我们把暑假打工赚的钱拿来投资了几只当时很有名的股票,比如Magnavox。
So we took the money that we had earned in a summer job and invested in a few famous at the time stocks, Magnavox.
我们自欺欺人地觉得自己是老练的专业人士,知道这些股票的绰号,比如我们买的股票叫‘Maggie’s’。
We kidded ourselves if we were slick professionals by knowing the nickname, in that case, Maggie's for the stocks that we wore.
顺便说一下,那家后来破产的工程公司有个有趣的插曲:当我来到美国后,我把股票卖给了我母亲,她自己也买了一点。
Incidentally, the acro engineering, which went bust, had this interesting twist to it that when I came to America, I sold it to my mother, who had acquired a small holding herself.
佣金相当高。
The commissions were quite big.
所以我们特别在意省下佣金。
So we made a big fuss about saving the commission.
我的投资从1966年到1974年翻了三倍。
I had tripled my investment from 'sixteen to 'twenty four.
不算太好,也不算太糟。
Nothing great, nothing terrible.
她以低价、免佣金的方式从我这里买下,但不幸的是,后来公司破产了。
And she bought it off me at a bargain commission free rate and unfortunately went bankrupt with it as it were.
在你的求学过程中,你经常谈到对商学院的看法以及商学院对投资者的价值。
In your path through your education, you've often commented on your thoughts about business school and the value of business school for investors.
很想听听你对此的反思。
Love to hear your reflections on that.
这对每个人来说都是一段独特的经历。
It's a unique experience for everybody.
我很高兴能对商业领域有一个肤浅的了解,掌握一点各方面的知识,否则我自己花上好几年也未必能办到,而且肯定还会留下很多空白。
I was glad to get a superficial familiarity with all business to know a little bit about everything, which would have taken me years and would have left me with big holes, no doubt.
这样下来,留下的空白就很少了。
This way, there were few holes.
你对各方面都有一点表面的了解。
You had this veneer of familiarity with everything.
这让你有了与人交谈的自信,外人可能会说这是过度自信。
This gave you the confidence to talk, outsiders would say overconfidence.
但当你环顾四周,你不得不承认,人生中最重要的事情就是要有自信。
But when you look around you, you have to say that the biggest thing for getting on in life is to be confident.
最糟糕的是缺乏自信。
The worst thing is to be lacking in confidence.
这会让你很难取得进展。
It makes it hard to get on.
指责商学院让你变得过于自信,某种程度上它确实如此,这并不是一个恶意的指控。
Accusing a business school of teaching you to be overconfident, which in a way it did, is not a vicious accusation.
你从商学院毕业后,职业道路是如何发展的?
Where did you take your career coming out of business school?
我试图进入唐纳森、卢夫金与詹雷特公司从事投资业务。
I tried to get into the investment business with Donaldson, Lufkin and Jen Ret.
他们当时似乎有给我机会,但在欧洲却没能成行。
They kind of had a possibility for me, but it wouldn't come through in Europe.
最后,我慌了神,转而从事了通用管理咨询,很多人都这么做。
In the end, I panicked and fell back on general management consulting, which a lot of people do.
这为他们争取了时间,以便更认真或更长久地思考自己的职业偏好。
Buys them time to think more seriously or longer about their career preferences.
我花了大约一两天时间才意识到,管理咨询对我来说是浪费时间。
It took me a day or two to realise that management consulting was for me a waste of space.
为什么会这样?
Why was that?
我们在商学院时接了一个咨询项目,我们三个人一起做的。
We picked up a consulting project in business school, three of us.
我们得到了一笔惊人的报酬。
We were paid an amazing amount of money.
在为期六十天的暑期项目结束后,我拿到了6000美元,这相当于我在商学院一年的学费。
At the end of the summer project, sixty days of work, I got $6,000 which was one year at business school.
这笔钱支付了我一半的全部开销。
It paid half of my entire expenses.
这份暑期工作是为一家草坪和园艺业务提供服务。
The summer job was to serve the lawn and garden business.
我们两人开车穿梭于中西部各地的草坪和园艺中心之间,负责做笔记等等。
We drove in the Midwest from one lawn and garden center to another, two of us taking notes and so on.
到了夏天结束,我们来到曼哈顿时,发现我们每个人竟然都为三家最大的咨询公司工作。
And when we got to Manhattan at the end of the summer, it turned out that each of us were working for the three largest consulting firms.
所以我们决定在头几天一起吃午饭,并带上所有与草坪和园艺业务相关的文件,以便进行对比。
So we decided to have lunch in the first few days and bring with us anything in the file that had to do with lawn and garden business so that we could compare it.
巧合的是,每家公司都完成了一个还不错的项目。
Each company, by coincidence, had done one decent project.
我们在午餐时阅读并讨论了这些报告。
We read them and discussed them at lunch.
与我们对草坪和园艺业务的了解相比,这些报告显得异常肤浅。
They were amazingly superficial compared to what we knew about the lawn and garden business.
我们花了六十天,这是一段很长的时间,而且我们的未来都取决于这些成果。
We'd had sixty days, which is a long time, And our future depend on the results.
所以我们非常努力。
So we were trying very hard.
但即便如此,我们自认为了解的业务深层细节,与他们所掌握的、对我们而言极其表面的信息之间的巨大差距,让我在第一周就明白,咨询工作就是这样的。
But still, the difference between what we thought we knew, which were many layers of the business, and what they knew, which was to us extremely superficial, let me know by the first week that consulting was like that.
那只是匆匆一瞥,通常非常肤浅。
That it was a quick once over and typically very superficial.
我迫不及待想离开。
I couldn't wait to get out.
第二周你做了什么?
What'd you do in week two?
我天生懒散、行动迟缓,就照吩咐做事。
Being lazy and slow moving, I did what I was told.
我花了十八个月才在投资行业找到一份好工作。
And it took me eighteen months to get a good job in the investment business.
关键因素是谁过得开心。
The critical factor was who was having fun.
我向同学们打听了一下。
I asked around my classmates.
谁过得最开心?
Who's having the best time?
在投资行业的人显然过得最开心。
Those in the investment business by a mile were having the best time.
当时小型股票正经历一场令人兴奋的小型泡沫。
There was an exciting micro bubble going on in the tiny stocks.
他们一边会面、交流想法、投机、亏钱、赚钱,一边乐在其中,极其精彩。
They were having a splendid time meeting, sharing ideas, speculating, losing money, making money, thoroughly exciting.
我感受到了这种热情,并意识到这是一个相当不错的起点。
I picked up that excitement and realized that that was a pretty good place to start.
于是在一些第一年就进入投资行业的同学的帮助下,
So with the help of some of my classmates who'd been in the investment business for that first year.
我在曼哈顿、波士顿和伦敦开展了一套非常高效的筛选计划。
I ran quite an efficient program looking in Manhattan, Boston, and London.
最终,我收到了波士顿基石基金的一份不错的录用通知,不过这家公司如今早已不复存在。
In the end, got a decent job offer from Keystone Funds in Boston, now long defunct.
从投资生涯的起步到创立GMO,你的路径是怎样的?
What was your path from the first days in investing until the founding of GMO?
在此期间,我与迪恩·拉巴罗特共同创立了Batterymarch公司。
In between, I was a co founder of Batterymarch with Dean Labarrot.
那仅仅花了我九个月的时间。
That only took me nine months.
我从咨询工作转到Keystone基金,他们给了我50%的加薪,这让我醒悟了。
I went from consulting to Keystone Funds and they offered me a 50% increase in salary, which woke me up.
我当时想,这是怎么回事?
I thought what the hell is that?
我本来愿意以同样的薪资甚至更低的薪资加入。
I would have been happy to come at the same price, perhaps even less.
这额外的50%真是太惊人了。
The extra 50% was amazing.
我环顾四周,发现整个行业都是这样。
I looked around and I found the entire industry was like that.
所有从事投资工作的人,薪资都比其他行业从事同等工作和同等才能的人高出约50%。
Everybody in investment was getting paid about 50% more than the equivalent work and the equivalent talent anywhere else.
这有什么不好呢?
What's not to like about that, by the way?
我做了一两件新颖的事情,所以起步很顺利。
I did one or two novel things, so I got off to a running start.
八个月后,我向一位资深人士迪恩·拉巴隆提议,邀请我认识的一位朋友加入,他也在另一家公司的投资行业工作。
After eight months, I propositioned one of the senior guys, Dean Labarron, to come and work with a friend I'd met who was also in the investment business at a different firm.
我们觉得可以创办一家小公司。
And we thought we could start a little firm.
真是够自负的。
Talk about cocky.
他已经在行业里待了两三年。
He'd been in the business two or three years.
我才刚入行六个月。
I'd been in six months.
而我们却打算创办一家公司。
And we were going to start a firm.
我们向迪恩提出了建议,他说他会考虑一下,然后会答应。
We propositioned Dean, and he said he'd think about it, and he'd do it.
不,他不会答应。
And no, he wouldn't do it.
但是的,他会做类似的事情。
And yes, he would do something similar.
他会创办自己的公司。
He'd do his own firm.
他会让我去为他工作吗?
And would I come and work for him?
迪恩、我和一名秘书起初在马路对面的一个房间里开始了事业。
Dean and I and a secretary started out in a single room up the road.
八年之后,我主要因为利益分配和智力贡献的问题与迪恩产生了分歧。
After eight years, I had fallen out with Dean mainly on the distribution of loot and intellectual credit.
所以我离开了。
So I left.
我的合伙人迪克·梅奥也离开了。
My co partner Dick Mayo left also.
还有四五名团队成员,我们继续留在同一栋楼里。
And four or five of the troops, we stayed in the same building.
我们带走了投资组合。
We took the portfolio with us.
我常开玩笑说,他留下了名字,而我们留下了投资组合。
I used to joke he kept the name and we kept the portfolio.
他很快转向了对迪恩理念的计算机实现。
He quickly changed into computer implementation of Dean's ideas.
而我们继续手工选股,运用价值投资方法,逐步引入股息折现模型等,顺利地将投资组合从Batterymarch过渡到GMO。
And we carried on picking stocks by hand, using value techniques, getting into dividend discount models and so on, seamlessly moved our portfolio from Batterymarch to GMO.
在Batterymarch时期,我们的表现相当不错。
Batterymarch, we'd done pretty well.
迪克·梅奥和我共同管理这些投资组合。
Dick Mayo and I ran the portfolios.
迪安负责宣传工作,做得相当出色。
And Dean ran the propaganda machine, which was pretty damn good.
我们的业绩非常出色,主要集中在小盘股,但并非 exclusively,全部都是价值股,而当时价值投资并不流行。
We had great performance, mainly in small cap, not exclusively, and 100% in value stocks, which was not popular at the time.
那正是‘漂亮五十’的核心,比如雅芳、IBM、柯达、可口可乐。
That was the heart of the Nifty Fifty, Avon, IBM, Kodak, Coca Cola.
我们买入的是大湖股票、疏浚公司这类不为人知的企业,这构成了我们的不公平优势,因为根本没人关注它们。
We were buying Great Lakes Stock and Dredge and similar unknown companies, which was an unfair advantage because no one was following them.
公司的管理层会和我们聊上好几个小时。
The management would talk to us for hours.
已经有好几个星期没人联系过他们了。
No one had called them for weeks.
内幕信息甚至都不是一个被提及的概念。
Insider information was not even a known comment.
当时还没有出台任何相关法规。
No regulations had been passed.
所以他们会告诉我们他们的进展如何。
So they would tell us how they were getting on.
而我们是这一方唯一或少数的专业人士。
And we would be the one or two professionals on one side of the equation.
其余的所有股东都住在那个有双盘离合器的小镇,我想那是威斯康星州的欧克莱尔。
And all the rest of the stock owners were in the town with twin disc clutch, which I think it's Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
创始人的亲朋好友主导了局面,毫无疑问他们都是好人,但在股票市场方面他们是门外汉。
And all the friends and family of the founders led us, no doubt very good people, but they were amateurs when it came to the stock market.
这根本不是公平的竞争,我们迅速掌握了更多信息和经验。
That was not a fair fight, and we had more information and more experience quickly.
所以我们赢了。
And so we won.
在Batterymarch的八年里,我们平了一次,赢了六次,输了一次。
Of the eight years of Batterymarch, we drew one and won six and lost one.
尽管在八年间,我们平均每年领先六个百分点。
Though we won by an average of six points a year over the eight years.
因此,我们拥有了无论在过去还是现在都被视为卓越的业绩记录。
So we had what would be considered then and now a dynamite record.
我们将这种策略、该基金以及投资组合带到了GMO。
We carried that technique and that fund and the portfolio with us into GMO.
它一开始就取得了非凡的开局。
It got off to an absolutely heroic start.
当然,我们当时并不知道自己有多幸运。
Of course we didn't know how lucky we were.
你永远无法充分享受早期的成功,因为你不知道前方潜伏着怎样的糟糕日子。
You never enjoy early success enough because you don't know what bad days are lurking around the corner.
我们连续赢得了前九年。
We won the first nine years in a row.
你可以想象,创立一家公司时能有这样的开端,真是再好不过了。
You can imagine starting a firm, that's a good time to do it.
我们每年平均领先八个百分点。
And we won by an average of eight points a year.
为了向世界证明自己,我们必须击败Batterymarch,因为我们声称自己拥有他们的业绩记录。
In order to prove ourselves to the world, was very important that we beat Batterymarch because we were claiming credit for their record.
他们声称我们是愚蠢的下属网络。
They were claiming that we were idiot subordinated networks.
我们确实以压倒性优势击败了他们。
And we did beat them handsomely.
在头九年间,除了卓越的业绩表现外,业务本身发生了什么变化?
Over that first nine years, what happened with the business alongside of what was a stellar period of performance?
我们意识到,如果你要购买大湖股票和疏浚公司的股票,就不能投入太多资金。
We were conscious that if you were going to buy Great Lakes stock and dredge, you couldn't have a huge amount of money.
我们决定,2.5亿美元就已经算很多了。
We decided that about $250,000,000 would be a lot.
迪克·梅奥是资深的投资组合经理。
Dick Mayo was the serious senior portfolio manager.
他很乐意就此收手,拒绝更多客户。
He was happy to call it a day and turn people down.
我们有着惊人的业绩记录。
We had this dynamite record.
我们已经满额了,几乎要用木桩把人赶走。
We were full up, and we were beating people away with a stake almost.
我们认为这再正常不过了,但仔细想想,这真是令人振奋。
We thought that was perfectly usual, which is heart raising when you think about it.
从那以后发生了什么?
What happened from there?
显然,GMO 已经远远超出了那 2.5 亿美元的复利增长。
Clearly, GMO has become a lot more than the $250,000,000 compounded.
我们很快就对彼此在投资方法上的细微差异感到不适。
We fairly quickly got into discomfort with each other having slightly different approach to investing.
偶然间,我们发现了一个巧妙的模式:设立三个部门。
By accident, we hit on a clever formula, which was to have three divisions.
所以范·奥特洛负责全新的国际业务。
So Van Ottelow ran the international, which was brand new.
当时没人做国际投资。
No one did international.
迪克·梅奥继承了我们的共同投资组合,并继续管理了十五年。
Dick Mayo inherited our joint portfolio and managed it for another fifteen years.
我创立了一个量化部门,最初通过告诉计算机我们认为哪些是选股的合理、精选特征来开发一个专家系统。
And I started a quantitative division, which started by developing an expert system by telling the computer what we thought were sensible, selective characteristics for a good stock.
计算机最初返回了一些糟糕的建议。
The computer would come back initially with some terrible ideas.
这些是怎么进来的?
How did that get in?
我们该如何排除它们?
How would we exclude it?
于是我们不断调整公式,经过几个月的缓慢但稳步的改进,最终让它输出的投资组合与我们的有90%一致。
So we redefined the formula until slowly but surely over a few months we got it to kick out a portfolio which was 90% the same as ours.
有趣的是,那10%不同的部分表现得和我们原有的10%一样好。
Interestingly, the 10% that was different did just as well as our 10%.
我们称之为最终产品,并将其投入实战。
We called it the finished product and we threw it into battle.
我们缓慢地获得了一批大客户。
Very slowly, we got a handful of big clients.
一段时间后,随着我们信心增强,我们用完全相同的模型来测试不同的股票。
After a while, as we got more confident, we used exactly the same model to test on different stocks.
因此,我们除了价值型基金外,还设立了成长型基金。
So we had a growth fund as well as a value fund.
接着我们又推出了小盘成长基金和小盘价值基金。
And then we had a small cap growth and a small cap value.
房地产投资信托基金。
REIT fund.
最终推出了新兴市场基金,所有这些都采用量化方法,但也愿意动用人的智慧,分析模型哪里出了问题并进行调整。
Eventually an emerging market fund, all using quantitative approaches, but also willing to use the brain and look for exceptions on what was going wrong and change the model.
介于现代量化模型与专家系统之间。
Somewhere between a modern quant model and an expert system.
你们是在什么时候发现,你们的模型并没有像早年预期的那样万无一失?
At what point in time did you see that perhaps your models weren't infallible as you had hoped from the early days?
我们一直都在价值投资领域经历低谷。
We had always had these lulls in the value business.
价值投资在过去八十年左右表现优异,但其实每三年只赢两年。
Value had won for eighty years or so, but it only won two out of three years.
每隔一段时间,就会出现两三年的低迷期,之后又会强势反弹。
Every now and then there'd be a two or three year interval where it would do very badly, and then it would surge back.
那时候,价值股的表现远远超过成长股。
It was beating the pants off growth stocks in those days.
它每年能领先三到四个百分点,这已经足以产生显著影响。
It was winning by three or four points a year, so enough to really count.
对我们来说,太长的低迷期并不多见。
There weren't many long intervals that were too much for us.
第一次出现是在1998到2000年的科技泡沫时期。
The first one came with the great tech bubble of '98, ninety nine, two thousand.
即使是那段时间,也只持续了两年半。
Even that was only two and a half years.
那是一段极其痛苦的两年半。
A spectacularly painful two and a half years.
这让我们进入了一个新环境,客户会迅速对你失去耐心,甚至言辞激烈。
That introduced us to a new environment where clients could get very quickly fed up with you and quite vicious about it.
在1999年的互联网泡沫期间。
In the internet bubble of 'ninety nine.
到后来,他们认为我们是故意让他们亏钱。
By the end, they were treating us as if we'd done it deliberately to cost them money.
这不同于以往你落后一两年时那种轻微的不满。
This was not the usual slight disgruntlement that had gone on when you lagged for a year or two.
这对我们来说是全新的体验。
This was something new to us.
这到底是你们在搞什么鬼?
This was what the hell are you guys trying to do to us?
你似乎完全失去了方向。
You seem to have completely lost the plot.
全世界的人都知道成长股和互联网将主宰未来,而你却还困在滞后的价值投资世界里。
Everyone in the world knows that growth stocks and the Internet is going to inherit the earth, and you seem to be stuck in a world of value that is lagging behind.
有趣的是,它们并没有下跌。
Interestingly, they weren't going down.
我们的收益比养老基金预期的要好得多,但我们远不及那些通过承担更高风险组合跑赢增长指数的明星基金经理。
We were making good money more than the pension funds were assuming they had to make, but we weren't making nearly as much as the hotshots on the other end who were outperforming the growth index by taking even riskier portfolios.
这让我们被解雇了。
That got us fired.
我在书中说,人们以为你在熊市中表现不佳才会被解雇,这完全是胡说八道。
I say in the book that people think you get fired for underperforming in bear markets, which is nonsense.
在严重的熊市中,客户会陷入麻木状态。
In a serious bear market, the client becomes catatonic.
我们以前在1973到1974年管这叫终端瘫痪。
Terminal paralysis, we used to call it in 7374.
去上班真不容易。
Getting to work was a hard job.
左脚往前,右脚往前。
Left foot forward, right foot forward.
那些养老基金的官员们也是一样的心情。
That's what the pension fund officers they were in the same mood.
他们都吓得僵住了。
They were all frozen with horror.
他们直到熊市结束才解雇你,然后翻阅数据,裁掉了几个人。
They didn't fire you until the bear market had ended, and they went through the data and fired a couple.
但在伟大的互联网牛市中,人们都兴奋不已。
But in the great Internet bull market, people were so excited.
他们的竞争对手养老基金官员赚了太多钱。
So much money was being made by their competing pension fund officers.
和他们一起打高尔夫的人表现得太过出色,他们实在受不了了。
The guys they were playing golf with were killing them, and it was more than they could stand.
谁喜欢看到自己的朋友发财,而自己却不行呢?
Who likes to see their friends getting rich when they're not?
所以他们会很快把你开除。
So they would fire you very quickly.
我们只落后了两年三个月。
We only underperformed for two and a quarter years.
但仅仅一年半后,我们就被像赶时髦一样纷纷解雇了。
But by a year and a half, we were getting fired like we were going out of style.
在两年三个月里,我们可能损失了超过一半的市场份额。
We lost probably more than half our market share in two and a quarter years.
我们的资产从三千亿美元下降到了两千亿美元。
We went down from 30,000,000,000 to 20,000,000,000.
在牛市中,其他人都翻了一倍。
Everyone else was doubling in the bull market.
这是市场营销上的巨大失利。
This was a huge underperformance of marketing.
在市场反弹、逆转了这些资金流向之后,你是如何思考长期投资、商业成功与投资管理之间的交汇点的?
After the bounce, which came, reversed those flows, how did you reflect on the intersection of long term investing and business success and investment management?
我对此非常认真。
I took it very seriously.
即使我们是因为正确的原因而做对了,也没有人回来找我们。
No one came back after firing us, even though we were right for the right reasons.
我们赚了很多钱。
And we made a ton of money.
发生的事情是,新客户进来了。
What happened was that new customers came in.
他们看着这片废墟,看到了我们的业绩。
They looked at the wreckage and they saw our performance.
我们曾大声疾呼,现在博登公司的负责人杰里米·西格尔就是那个人。
And we had screamed from the rooftops the guy who's now boss at Borden, Jeremy Siegel.
我一次次地和他辩论。
I debated him over and over again.
然后我和艾比·科恩、杰弗里·阿佩尔盖特单独辩论过,那是那个时代所有知名看涨派的代表。
And then one off with Abby Cohen and Jeffrey Applegate, all the top well known bulls of that era I got to debate.
我觉得,如果我要和公司一起沉没,那每个人都必须清楚我为什么这么做,以及发生了什么。
I figured if I was going to go down with the ship, everyone better know why I was doing it and what was going on.
这帮助我们赢得了业务。
That helped us pick up business.
当时有少数人也做了和我们一样的事,但他们躲了起来,而我们没有。
There were a few other people who did what we did, but they hid under the table and we did not.
业务自然就找上门来了。
The business tended to come to us.
我们的超额收益非常惊人,因为在大崩盘中我们没有下跌。
The outperformance we got was sensational because we didn't decline in the great crash.
标普指数下跌了50%。
The S and P went down 50%.
纳斯达克指数下跌了80%,这可是相当大的跌幅。
The NASDAQ went down 80%, which is a lot.
我们实际上在2000年赚了不少钱,2001年也赚了不少,2002年虽然市场下跌了22%,我们却只微跌了0.5%。
We actually made nice money in 2000, nice money in 2001, and hung in by half a percent in 2002, which was minus 22%.
这是熊市的第三年,标普指数下跌了22%。
The third year of the bear market and the S and P was down 22%.
现在我们是认真的了。
Now we're serious.
我们不仅没跌,反而涨得不错。
We were not down, we were up nicely.
即使在投资者仍持续滞后流出的情况下,我们的资产管理规模仍从200亿美元增长到220亿美元。此后,我们在好几年里,多个主要基金都实现了两位数的超额收益。
Even our asset base with people still leaving on a lagging basis, our assets went up from $20,000,000,000 to $22,000,000,000 And then after that, we had double digit alphas in quite a few of our funds for four or five years.
现在,如果我们能有2%或3%的超额收益,就已经非常高兴了,谁不会呢?
Now, we'd be thrilled who wouldn't be with 2% or 3% outperformance.
但我们连续好几年在国际价值型和美国价值型基金,以及我们管理的其他主要基金中,都实现了11%、12%的超额收益。
But we were having 11%, 12% for several years in a row in international value and US value and all of these major funds that we ran.
那是一段非常特别的经历。
That was a very interesting experience.
你可以看看自己承担的风险和损失的资产。
You could look at the risk you took, the assets you lost.
于是我开始问自己,到底发生了什么?
And I started to ask the question, what was going on?
背后的深层含义是什么?
What was the meta message?
而深层含义是,如果你是一家大公司,你就无法对抗一场大规模的牛市。
And the meta message is, if you're a big company, you can't fight a major bull market.
这太荒谬了。
It's ridiculous.
这是糟糕的生意。
It's terrible business.
你必须顺应形势变化。
You have to roll with the punch.
在市场下跌和上涨时尽量更有说服力,更快地重返市场,下跌时更快退出。
Try and be more persuasive on the way down and up and get back in quicker, get out faster on the way down.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
只要照章办事,说些漂亮话,你就不会面临真正的危险。
Just execute and talk a good game and you will not be in any serious danger.
但如果你对抗牛市,最好做好亏掉大量业务的准备。
But if you fight a bull market, you better expect to lose tons of business.
你永远不会听到高盛或摩根大通告诉你,因为市场严重高估而退出市场。
You will never hear a Goldman Sachs or a JP Morgan tell you to get out of the market because it's ludicrously overpriced.
每个人都知道现在市场严重高估,但没人会告诉你,他们也永远不会说。
Everybody knows today it's ludicrously overpriced, but no one can tell you and they never will.
我完全理解这一点。
I completely get that.
我开始思考这个问题,很大程度上是因为科技泡沫破裂带来的痛苦。
I started thinking about that largely because of the pain of the tech buster.
这如何影响你的投资策略?正如你所描述的博弈论情境:如果你在熊市表现不佳不会被解雇,而所有人都喜欢牛市,那么从商业角度看,你似乎应该始终长期持有并保持强势。
How does that influence the investment strategy as you've laid out a game theory exercise where if you don't get fired underperforming in the down market and everybody loves the bull, that would imply you'd want to be pretty long and strong all the time from a business perspective.
是的,确实如此。
Yeah, it does.
除非你是独立的,否则你承担不起尝试按我们这种方式操作的奢侈成本。
You can't afford the luxury of even trying to do it our way unless you're independent.
个人是可以做到的。
An individual can do it.
我强烈建议那些关注市场、能够简单分析数据的人去尝试。
And I widely recommend that they try if they follow the market, if they can look simply at the data.
这并不是什么高深的科学。
It's not rocket science.
我最喜欢的泡沫是房地产市场。
My favorite bubble was the housing market.
从统计上看,房地产市场的泡沫比美国任何股市泡沫都要大。
The housing market was a bigger bubble statistically than any stock market bubble in America.
2002年至2007年的美国房地产泡沫。
The US housing bubble of 02/1967.
它在三年间稳步上涨,然后又对称地回落到了起点。
It went up beautifully for three years and then it went down symmetrically back where it came from.
以家庭收入的倍数来看,情况就是如此。
As a multiple of family income, that's what it looks like.
它吸引了大约3%从未通常购房的人。
It sucked in about 3% extra people who had never typically bought a house.
所以比例从62%上升到了65%。
So instead of 62%, it went to 65%.
然后这65%的可怜人又回落到62%,被挤出市场,损失惨重。
And then the 65 poor things went back to 62%, squeezed them out, cost them a lot of money.
残酷至极。
Brutal.
这种吸引这些人进入市场的行为本应被遏制,但却没有。
That kind of behavior, sucking those people in should have been discouraged, but wasn't.
我们发现每个泡沫都破裂了,并整理了所有主要资产类别——货币、商品、股票和债券——的顶级泡沫图表。
We found that every bubble had broken and we drew exhibits of all the top bubbles in currencies, in commodities, in stocks, and bonds.
在主要国家中,没有任何例外:一个价格高出两个标准差的市场,这只是一个统计学上的衡量标准。
In major countries, there was no exception to the principle that an overpriced market at two sigma, which is just a statistical measure.
如果你看价格,观察其向上突破,如果是两个标准差,那么所有情况都无一例外地回归到泡沫出现前的趋势。
If you look at the price, you look at the breakout on the upside, if it's two sigma, there is no exception to the rule that all of them went back to the trend that existed prior to the bubble.
这是一个非常严格的标准,而且已经发生过很多次。
That's a very stringent test, and there have been quite a few.
然后是经典的案例,比如日本1989年历史上最大的泡沫,股价飙升至盈利的65倍。
Then the classics like Japan, the biggest bubble in history in 1989, went much higher than anyone else, 65 times earnings.
当这种情况发生时,你付出的代价最终仍会回归正常。
The price you pay when that happens, you still go back.
不是两年内回归,而是花了二十年才回归,导致日本失去了十年甚至二十年的经济增长。
Instead of going back in two years, you go back in twenty years, and you cause a lost ten or twenty years in Japan.
1929年如此,1972年如此,漂亮五十股如此,科技泡沫如此,房地产泡沫如此,当然,2008年金融危机也是如此。
The same in 1929, the same in 1972, the nifty 50, the same in the tech bubble, the same in the housing bubble, and of course the great financial crash.
这次也一定会一样,毫无疑问。
And it will be the same this time, of course.
从来没有任何统计上的疑问。
There's never been any statistical doubt.
这件事似乎只有我一个人特别在意,别人都不当回事。
That's something nobody ever seems to make much of a fuss about except me.
在我和杰里米·西格尔辩论期间,我曾让现场的专业分析师们就一些具体问题进行投票。
In the period when I was debating Jeremy Siegel, I got the audience of professional analysts to vote on some particular issues.
在加利福尼亚举行的金融分析师年度会议上,有1200人参加。
On the annual gathering of the financial analysts in California, there are 1,200.
我记得这个数字。
I remember the number.
我们问了谁自认为是全职股票专业人士。
And we asked who considers themselves full time equity professional.
大约有400人表示自己是为机构业务服务的全职股票专业人士。
And about 400 people declared themselves as full time equity professionals for the institutional business.
这些人都是专业的金融分析师。
These are professional financial analysts.
我对他们说了两个问题。
And I said, I've got two questions for you.
第一个问题是:
One is this.
目前市场的市盈率为31倍。
The market is currently 31 times earnings.
如果在未来十年内,市盈率回落至17.5倍,是否能保证出现一次大熊市?
If it goes back to 17 and a half, anytime in the next ten years, will it guarantee a major bear market?
所有人都同意。
Everybody agreed.
他们没人认为不会这样。
None of them thought it would not.
于是紧接着提出了关键问题:你们中有多少人认为未来十年内市盈率会回落至17.5倍?
So the jackpot question followed, which is, and how many of you think it will go back to 17 and a half sometime in the next ten years?
超过99%。
Over 99%.
不到1%的金融从业者,那些来自高盛和摩根大通的人,相信数据表明这是一个全新的黄金时代;而99%的人则相信数据预示着必然会出现一次大熊市。
Less than 1% of the engine room who worked for the Goldman Sachs and the JP Morgans believed in data that it was a new golden era, and 99% of them believed in data that guaranteed a major bear market.
然而,在那个巨大的科技泡沫中,外面的人们以为意见是分裂的。
Yet the people out there in that great tech bubble, they thought opinion was divided.
是的。
Yes.
有几个悲观的老家伙,太过夸张了。
There were a few bears, silly old bears, getting carried away.
但来自摩根大通的主要主流观点是,一切都会好起来。
But the main top line opinion from the JP Morgans was things will be fine.
他们自己的核心团队完全同意我的观点,却与他们自己的宣传部门意见相左,而宣传部门必须反映符合合理商业策略所需的内容。
Their own engine rooms completely agreed with me and disagreed with their own propaganda department, which had to reflect what was required for a sensible business strategy.
但没有人对这种矛盾感兴趣。
And no one was interested in that dichotomy.
而我可以证明这一点。
And I could prove it.
我必须投票。
I had to vote.
想想看,为了肯定凯恩斯的贡献,他在1932年《通论》第12章中详细阐述了这一切,这难道不令人惊叹吗?
Isn't that amazing when you think about To credit Keynes, he lays all this out in the famous chapter 12 of the general theory in 1932.
他指出,职业风险才是关键。
And he points out that career risk is everything.
控制职业风险的关键是永远不要独自犯错。
The key to controlling career risk is never be wrong on your own.
务必确保你做的和所有人都在做的一样。
Make darn sure that you're doing what everyone else is doing.
正如他所说,要在执行上更迅速、更灵活。
As he would say be quicker and slicker in the implementation.
他说得对。
He's right.
他能如此精准地洞察,真是令人惊叹。
It's amazing that he nailed it.
世界上其余的人至今仍未跟上他的步伐。
The rest of the world still hasn't caught up.
他是唯一一个傻到敢承认我一直在告诉你们的事情的人。
He was the only one foolish enough to admit what I've been telling you.
人人都知道这是事实,但大多数人选择保持沉默,而他却愚蠢地开了口。
Everybody knows that's the case, but mostly they keep suitably quiet and he foolishly opened his mouth.
音乐响起时,你必须跟着跳。
You have to play when the music's playing.
这对我们没有任何影响。
It didn't change anything for us.
我们决定,因为我们是独立的,所以能承担别人不敢承担的风险。
We decided because we were independent, we could take those bets that the others could not take.
我们可能几年内都会失去业务。
We could lose business for a couple of years.
一切又回来了。
It all came back.
我们从320亿美元跌到了22亿。
We went from 32,000,000,000 to 22.
然后我们爆发了。
Then we exploded.
在四年里,我们从22增长到了165。
In four years, we went from 22 to 165.
我们决定,是的,这条路充满坎坷。
We decided that yes, it's a bumpy road.
我完全理解那些大公司为什么不这么做,事实上他们也不该这么做。
I completely sympathize with the big guys who wouldn't do it and indeed shouldn't do.
但只要我们还小且独立,我们就能随心所欲。
But as long as we were small and independent, we could please ourselves.
所以我们什么都没改。
So we changed nothing.
每一轮牛市,我们都被人认为是迷失了方向。
Every bull market, we're considered people who've lost our way.
普通的短期牛市对任何人来说都不算什么。
An ordinary quick bull market doesn't count for anybody.
生活中投资最重要的事情,就是伟大泡沫的形成与破裂。
The only things that matter in life in investing are the founding forming and breaking of the great bubbles.
这决定了一切。
That determines everything.
如果你能避开一半的痛苦,那将带来天壤之别。
If you can sidestep half of the pain, it will make all the difference in the world.
当你考虑利用估值泡沫的另一面时,会遇到难以预知它会持续多久、会走多远的挑战。
When you think about taking advantage of the other side of something that statistically is a valuation bubble, you run into the challenges of not knowing how long it's gonna go and how far it'll go.
在代表有限合伙人投资资本时,你是如何思考这些现实的?
How have you thought about those realities in investing capital on behalf of your LPs?
识别泡沫很容易。
Seeing the bubble is easy.
把握正确的时机显然不可能。
Getting the timing right is apparently impossible.
我们为此尝试过许多种方法。
We have worked on many iterations of that.
凯恩斯说,客户的耐心没有市场非理性行为的时间长。
Keynes said that clients' patience is not as long as the market's ability to be irrational.
这绝对是对的。
And that's absolutely true.
在巨大的泡沫中,它们不仅仅达到两倍标准差,那是泡沫区域。
And in the great bubbles, they don't just reach two sigma, which is bubble territory.
它们会继续攀升到两倍半甚至三倍标准差,而且持续数年之久。
They go on to two and a half or three sigma, but they go on for years.
只有这些才是真正重要的。
They're the only ones that really matter.
真正关键的是最后那一两年。
It's the last year or two that really counts.
客户已经变得不耐烦,无法忍受了。
The clients have become impatient and they can't stand it.
他们开始解雇你。
They start to fire you.
随着我们年龄增长、更加明智,我们在表达方式上变得更加谨慎。
As we got older and wiser, we were perhaps more careful in how we phrased it.
我们明确指出,美国股票并不是应该持有的资产。
We made it very clear that US stocks are not the thing to own.
长期以来,你应该持有非美国股票、发达市场的价值股以及新兴市场价值股。
For a long time now, you should be owning non US stocks, developed value stocks and emerging country value stocks.
当我与人争论时,没有机会说:重要的不是你没有持有美国股市,而是你持有哪些资产。
When I'm arguing with people, don't get the time to say it's not what you don't own, as in The US stock market, it's what you do own that counts.
如果你持有的资产表现更好,谁会在乎你没有持有美国股票呢?
If you own stuff that does better, who cares that you don't own The US?
从上到下,美国市场的价格都太高了。
The US is simply too high priced from top to toe.
如果你必须持有美国股票——很多人确实如此——那么你必须选择优质股票,因为它们更具生存能力。
If you had to own US, and a lot of people do, then you have to own quality stocks because they have survivability.
人们在1929年发现,价值股在大萧条期间有崩溃的危险倾向。
What people found in 1929 is the value stocks had a dangerous tendency to go bust in the Great Depression.
而那些价格高得离谱的可口可乐公司并没有破产。
And the Coca Colas that were horrendously expensive did not go bust.
最终,这就是你能够生存下来的原因。
In the end, that's how you stayed alive.
1929年时,那些买入价格严重高估的可口可乐股票的人,只要没有使用杠杆,就活了下来。
The people who went in with the super overpriced Coca Colas in 1929 survived if they were not leveraged with the portfolio.
而那些使用杠杆的人,无论持有何种资产,都破产了。
And the leverage guys went bust whatever they owned.
价值型投资者大多破产了,因为他们持有的是低质量公司,这些公司无法在大萧条中存活。
And the value guys mostly went bust because they had low quality companies that couldn't stand the depression.
股市中藏着一些值得铭记的宝贵经验。
There's some good lessons lurking around as a folk memory of the stock market.
我们稍作短暂休息,来介绍一下Ridgeline。
We're going to take a quick break in the action to tell you about Ridgeline.
想象一下,每天早上醒来时,对账工作已经完成了。
Imagine starting your day with reconciliation already done.
无需电子表格,无需追着处理中断,无需用胶带粘合系统。
No spreadsheets, no breaks to chase, no duct tape holding systems together.
Ridgeline 是首个为投资经理打造的从前端到后端的权威系统。
Bridgeline is the first front to back system of record built for investment managers.
一个平台,一个实时数据集,内置人工智能。
One platform, one real time dataset, embedded AI.
投资公司正在用这种全新的运营模式,取代那些零散的、孤立的数据管理系统、会计系统、报告插件和客户工具,从而自动化复杂的工作流程,扩展个性化客户体验,并释放人工智能的全部价值。
Investment firms are replacing a patchwork of isolated and data order management systems, accounting systems, reporting add ons, and client tools with this fundamentally new operating model, automating complex workflows, scaling personalized client experiences, and unlocking the full value of AI.
如果今年您的公司准备现代化运营并利用人工智能,您可以访问 ridgeline.ai 了解更多信息。
If this is the year your firm is ready to modernize operations and harness AI, you can learn more at ridgeline.ai.
现在,我们回到访谈。
And now back to the interview.
你在书中提到,试图建立一个模型,以判断自己是否处于泡沫的后期阶段。
You discussed in the book trying to create a model to give you a sense of when you were at the later stages of a bubble.
我非常想听听你在构建这个模型过程中学到了什么。
I would love to hear what you learned in creating that model.
我制定了一条唯一的规则,在美国历史上仅出现过四次。
I developed a singular rule that only has occurred four times in US history.
1928年领涨市场、涨幅高达70%的股票。
The stocks that have been leading the charge up 70% in 1928.
2020年的迷因股票,涨幅巨大。
The meme stocks in 2020, up huge amounts.
当它们开始大幅跑输市场,而牛市仍在继续时,想想这有多不寻常。
When they start to underperform dramatically the market, as the bull market continues, now think how unusual that is.
它们的贝塔值非常高。
They have a very high beta.
它们本应上涨标普指数的1.5到2倍,但在早期阶段却涨了三倍。
They're meant to go up one and a half to two times the S and P, and they've been going up three times in the earlier stages.
然后突然间,蓝筹股继续上涨,标普指数也继续上涨,而它们却下跌了。
Then suddenly the blue chips continue to go up, the S and P continues to go up, and they go down.
它们甚至连方向都判断错了。
They can't even get the sign right.
1929年,标普指数中前一年上涨了70%的低价股,在崩盘前一天,年内跌幅已接近40%。
In 1929, the S and P's low priced index that had gone up 70 the year before, The day before the crash was down almost 40% year to date.
这无疑是股市从内心发出的原始呐喊。
The primal scream from the stomach of the stock market, if ever there was one.
市场广度并不好,但这太荒谬了。
The breadth wasn't very good, but that's ridiculous.
这种高波动性、高风险的股票在牛市中表现不佳的情况,直到1972年‘漂亮五十’的最后一年才再次出现,随后迎来了自大萧条以来最糟糕的熊市。
Nothing like that happens again, that high volatile risky stocks underperform in the bull market until 1972, the final year of the Nifty fifty, followed by the worst bear market you could ever live through since the Depression.
依然毫不留情。
Still merciless.
所有股票都下跌了,小盘股、大盘股,无一幸免。
Everything went down, small, large, everything.
1973至1974年的熊市, preceded by 1972年,当时蓝筹股上涨了18%,而主板平均股票却下跌了18%。
The 'seventy three, 'seventy four bear market was preceded in 'seventy two by a market where the blue chips went up 18%, and the average big board stock went down 18%.
这种对称性让我终生难忘。
That symmetry means I can remember it forever.
然后直到2000年才再次出现这种情况。
And then nothing like that happens again until 2000.
你还记得2000年吗?市场在三月崩盘,但标普指数实际上在九月底又回到了同一水平。
Do you remember in 2000, the market, quote, breaks in March, but the S and P actually hits the same level again in late September.
到那时,成长型股票已经下跌了40%到50%。
The growth stocks by then are down 40 or 50%.
它们占了市场很大一部分,这意味着其余股票必须上涨15%、16%甚至17%才能平衡局面。
They were a big chunk of the market, which means that the rest of the market had to go up fifteen, sixteen, 17% to balance the books.
可口可乐等股票再次缓慢上涨17%来抵消领涨的成长股被重创,这相当奇怪。
That is pretty weird that the Coca Colas once again were grinding up 17% to offset the leading growth stocks getting trashed.
类似的情况再次出现是在2021年。
Nothing like it happens again until 2021.
2021年,你可能记得凯茜·伍德的投资组合突然开始大幅下跌,到年底时已下跌约35%。
In 2021, you may remember that Cathie Wood's portfolio peeled off and started to drop a lot and was down 35% or so by the end of the year.
然而,标普指数却继续稳步攀升。
And yet the S and P continued to climb very nicely.
我持有一只迷因股,当时我并没有意识到,我以风投的方式投资了QuantumScape,这是一家研发汽车第二代电池的公司。
I had a meme stock, I didn't realize it at the time, which I invested in as a venture capital, the QuantumScape with a second generation battery for cars.
几年过去了,他们还没有推出任何产品。
By a few years, they hadn't a product.
所以他们既没有利润,也没有销售收入。
So they had no profits, no sales even.
然而他们在2020年通过SPAC方式上市了。
And yet they came as a SPAC in 2020.
这发生在Cathie Wood的股票下跌之前。
This was before Cathie Wood's stocks had turned down.
我的股票在12月开始下跌。
Mine turned down in December.
它们上市时都是10美元,这是常态。
It came out at 10 as they all do.
到2020年,股价暴涨至131美元。
It exploded to 131 by the 2020.
一度它的市值超过了通用汽车。
For a second was worth more than General Motors.
距离实现任何销售还有好几年。
Years away from having any sales.
这是一些不靠谱的小研究,不过顺便说一句,这是一项了不起的研究工作。
This flaky little research, it's a terrific research effort by the way.
为了讲个好故事,我不该这么说。
I shouldn't say that for the sake of a good story.
这是一项了不起的研究,但背后仅仅是个实验室。
It's a terrific research, but it's only a research lab back there.
它的售价超过了通用汽车。
It sold for more than General Motors.
你一定在开玩笑吧。
You must be kidding me.
不管怎样,那是我迄今为止最大的一笔投资。
Anyway, that was by far the biggest investment I had ever made.
这是我唯一自己持有的,因为如果我们不大量购买,就没有机会投资它。
It's the only one I owned myself, because our opportunity to invest in it was only if we bought a whole lot.
这个持仓量过大了。
It was unsuitably large holding.
我想在2020年,我持有量子电池公司5%的股份。
I had 5% of QuantumScape, I think, in 2020.
它是第一个下跌的,但所有股票都跌了。
It was the first one to go down, but they all went down.
那些在2020年和2021年初表现优异的股票,开始一个接一个地下跌。
All of those stocks that had done so well in general in 2020 and early twenty twenty one started to peel off one by one.
到最后,大多数成长型小盘股都大幅下跌,凯茜·伍德也体会到了这一点,这就是信号。
By the end, most of the junior growth stocks were going down a lot as Cathy Woods found out, and that's the sign.
我写了一篇名为《让狂野的喧闹开始》的论文。
I wrote a paper called Let the Wild Rumpus Begin.
我深信语言至关重要。
I'm a great believer that language counts.
我一生中只有两次明确表达过,我认为现在就是时机。
There's only two times in my life did I make it absolutely clear that I thought it was now.
其中一次是2008年7月15日,我的季度信中使用了‘弃船’之类的措辞,并引用了老话‘别逞强,赶紧跑,留得青山在’,并在第一段明确建议大家不要承担任何不必要的风险。
One of them was 07/15/2008 when my quarterly letter used terms like abandon ship and quoted the old don't be brave, run away, live to fight another day, and recommended clearly in the first paragraph that you should take no unnecessary risk at all.
那些一直听从我们建议持有部分新兴市场资产的人,让我们再重申一次:他们应该卖出所有非必需的高风险资产。
Those people who'd been taking our advice to carry some emerging should allow us to recap that they should sell everything that was risky that they didn't have to carry.
而第二次就是‘让狂野的喧闹开始’,这几乎是最明确不过的宣告了。
And the second one was let the wild rumpus begin, which is about as clear an announcement as you can get.
而它确实开始了。
And it did begin.
2022年当然崩盘了。
2022 of course crashed.
这一年开盘时的弱势是自1939年以来最差的,也就是我出生后的那一年,前六个月都是如此。
It opened weaker than any year since 1939, the year after I was born, the first six months.
到年底时,标普500下跌了25%,成长型股票下跌了35%,MAG七巨头下跌了40%。
By the end of the year the S and P was down 25, the growth stocks were down 35, the MAG seven was down 40%.
债券市场经历了有史以来最糟糕的一年。
The bond market had its worst year in history.
但到了12月初,由于人工智能,局势发生了变化。
But then in early December, the game changed because of AI.
人工智能显然是一个重大的突破。
AI is clearly a dramatic development.
每个人都迅速去尝试了它。
Everyone quickly went on there and tested it.
我也试了。
I did.
我让它用十二个要点总结《战争与和平》,然后把整个内容翻译成德语。
I asked it to summarize war and peace in 12 points and then translate the whole thing into German.
它只花了七秒钟。
And it took seven seconds.
这简直太令人印象深刻了。
It was pretty damn impressive.
只有MAG七只股票上涨了。
Only the MAG seven went up.
在前将近十二个月里,MAG七只股票翻了一倍,而标普指数和其他广义市场的其余部分则继续小幅下跌,直到2023年10月左右,当人们充分认识到这场涨势的持久性时,它们才开始全面上涨。
For the first almost twelve months, the MAG seven doubled and the rest of the S and P and the broad market continued to go down slightly for the balance of the time until about October '23, when they became sufficiently impressed with the durability of the rally and they all started to go up.
聊天机器人和AI的兴起毁掉了我原本完美的熊市。
The invasion of chat and AI ruined my perfectly good bear market.
我依然经历了一个熊市。
I still got a bear market.
跌幅远远超过了20%,但并没有出现原本可能发生的超级泡沫破裂式的崩盘。
It was way over 20% decline, but it wasn't the crushing of a super bubble that would have happened.
如果没有与AI相关的巨额资本支出,没有MAG七只股票带来的巨大股市收益,市场情绪本会截然不同。
Without the great investment associated the CapEx associated with AI, without the huge stock market gains associated with the MAG-seven, animal spirits would have been quite different.
我的唯一偶像凯恩斯曾指出,最周密的计划也会落空。
And Keynes, my one and only hero, makes this point that the best laid plans go awry.
如果人们决定变得沮丧,市场就会一落千丈。
If people decide to be discouraged, the market will go to hell.
他们曾考虑过变得非常沮丧。
They were thinking about being very discouraged.
人工智能改变了这一点。
AI changed that.
如果按照两个标准差的定义,这个泡沫在反弹之前并没有完全回归到趋势线,那我们现在处于什么位置?
Where does that leave us today if the bubble as defined by that two standard deviation move didn't quite go back all the way to trend before it bounced?
没有。
No.
并没有。
It didn't.
远远没有达到趋势线。
By a considerable margin, didn't get to trend.
它必须再下跌20%才能达到一个关键节点。
It would have had to go down another 20% to get a checkpoint.
假设它只走了一半。
Let's say it was halfway.
它让我们现在面临一个前所未有的独特事件,而历史学家最喜欢的就是重复性。
Where it leaves us now is with a unique event that's never happened before, which is historians love to have repetition.
因此,你可以根据事物正常表现来制定作战计划。
So you can design a battle plan based on things behaving like normal.
从来没有任何第二个泡沫像那样出现过。
There's never been a second bubble coming in like that.
我认为,除非是一个真正了不起的新想法,否则这永远不会成功。
I don't think it would ever work unless it was a truly tremendous new idea.
人工智能以超高速发展,涉及的资本支出规模超过了以往任何和平时期的历史记录。
AI moving at warp speed, involving a greater capex program than has ever happened before outside of war.
这才是真正的高手。
This is the real McCoy.
这并不意味着AI不可能伴随泡沫出现。
That doesn't mean that you can't have a bubble associated with AI.
恰恰相反。
It's quite the reverse.
如果你回顾历史,会发现巨大的泡沫总是伴随着被过度炒作的重大投资理念。
If you look back in history, what you find is that the great bubbles are associated with great investment ideas that get overdone.
这必须是认真的。
It has to be serious.
而且最好是明显认真的。
And ideally, it has to be obviously serious.
铁路是最好的例子,其次是互联网。
Railroads are the best example, followed by the internet.
如果你看到铁路将改变世界,那么你当然会想要投资。
If you see that railroads are going to change the world, then of course you want to invest.
普通投资者也会被巨大的势头带动,所以所有追逐趋势的人都涌入其中。
The ordinary guys, you're going to have enormous momentum, so all the momentum guys are in there too.
正如笑话所说,你会在利兹和曼彻斯特之间修建六条轨道。
And you build, as the joke goes, six tracks between Leeds and Manchester.
一条轨道就够用了,两条也还说得过去,但所有人都亏了钱,最终一败涂地。
You could badly use one and two wouldn't be too bad, but everybody loses money and they all get cleaned out.
这并不意味着铁路没有改变世界,当然它们确实改变了。
Doesn't mean that railroads didn't change the world, of course they did.
但正是它们的显而易见性和重要性。
But it was precisely their obviousness and their importance.
互联网,大多数人能看出它相当重要,最终会改变世界。
Internet, most people could see that it was pretty serious, that it would eventually change the world.
亚马逊在2000年上涨了六倍左右。
Amazon went up six times, something like that in 2,000.
尽管这是一个成功的理念,但它下跌了92%。
Even though it was a successful idea, it went down 92%.
去查一下。
Check it.
在泡沫破裂时,它下跌了92%,然后又重新崛起,最终主宰了世界。
It went down 92% in the bust, and then it rose again to inherit the earth.
这在某种程度上并不罕见。
That isn't in a way exceptional.
这就是你应该预期的。
That's what you should expect.
所以我们现在看到英伟达像亚马逊的平方,其资金规模远超历史上任何资本支出计划。
So here we are with NVIDIA looking like Amazon squared, the money dwarfing any CapEx program in history.
每个人心里都清楚,这是他们一生中遇到过的最大的事情。
Everyone being clear in their mind that this is the biggest thing they've ever had in their lives.
他们是对的。
And they're right.
确实如此。
It is.
这就是为什么投资计划几乎肯定会过度。
That's why the investment program is almost certain to be overdone.
为什么不呢?
Why would it not be?
人类本就如此。
Humans being who they are.
这么重大且明显的事情,你为什么不超额投资呢?
Why would you not invest more than you should in something this big and this obvious?
这正是你预期泡沫破裂的地方。
This is exactly where you'd expect the bubble to break.
你还会预期其他事情也如此,它将由Navidea率先引领,紧随其后的是其他巨头。
And you would expect other things being even that it will be led down by Navidea, followed closely by the other giants.
会有一些与之相关的微小外围想法作为前兆,它们会最先崩塌,但其实并不重要。
There'll be little precursors of small peripheral ideas associated with it, and they'll go first, but they don't really count.
当真正的冲击来临时,受损的将是那些大公司。
Then when the real action happens, it's the big guys that get hurt.
事情就是这样发展的,我相信这次也会如此。
That's how things proceed, and I'm sure it will happen this time.
你有时在十五分钟内,有时在十分钟内,有时在二十分钟内,就总结出了你最钟爱的一些经验。
You've encapsulated some of your favorite learnings, sometimes in fifteen minutes, sometimes in ten minutes, sometimes in twenty minutes.
我现在回想起来,很想听听你最喜爱的一些投资教训。
I'd love to hear as you think back now, some of your favorite investment lessons.
最重要的是,一个保持清醒头脑的人会意识到,他们所获得的建议都带有乐观的倾向,并且明白这确实是事实。
The most important thing is that an individual who keeps his brains functioning and realizes that the advice they're getting has a optimistic spin and understand that, of course, that's the case.
大型投资机构必须做到这一点。
The great investment houses have to do that.
如果他们能有勇气坚持自己的信念就好了。
If only they could have the courage of their conviction.
人们往往认为,如果权威人士说了什么,而你觉得他们错了,那他们可能是对的。
The tendency is to think that if the authorities say something and you think they're wrong, they're probably right.
我不同意这种观点。
I just disagree with that.
权威机构是庞大而复杂的组织,拥有成千上万的人。
The authorities are great complex organizations with thousands of people.
要管理这样的庞然大物,你必须具备高度政治化的技巧。
To run such a beast, you have to have highly defined political skills.
政治技巧的关键在于凯恩斯第十二章。
And the key to a political skill is Keynes chapter 12.
永远不要在自己身上犯错。
Never be wrong on your own.
在重大转折点,他们坚持环顾四周、采取预防措施、做好准备,但直到别人都在撤退时才肯退出。
They insist at the great turning points of looking around, taking precautions, getting ready, but not pulling the plug until everyone else is pulling the plug.
这意味着,你能成为那个看清数据的个体。
That means you can be right individual who can see the data.
这些数据就像我的房地产泡沫。
The data is like my housing bubble.
就像你在飞机上奔跑,突然遇到一座落基山脉,然后又迅速退去。
It's like you're running along on the plane, you get one single Rocky Mountain, and back it goes.
如果你看不到这一点,那真是脑子出问题了。
You have to be brain dead not to see it.
这并不难看出来。
It is not hard to see.
就连美联储主席伯南克,在房地产泡沫顶峰时期,也从未见过美国历史上出现过如此情况。
Even Bernanke, who ran the Fed, at the top of the housing bubble, which had never anything like that had occurred in American history.
一个三西格玛事件,其罕见程度远超任何股市事件,包括1929年。
A three sigma event, much worse than any stock market event, including 1929 in terms of its unlikeliness.
是格林斯潘和伯南克多年来疯狂推动,才让泡沫遍布各地。
It took Greenspan and Bernanke pushing like mad for years to get it to bubble everywhere.
美国房地产市场曾众所周知在芝加哥、波士顿、加利福尼亚和佛罗里达等地出现过泡沫。
The American housing market had famously bubbled in Chicago and Boston, California, bubbled in Florida, etcetera.
但直到格林斯潘和伯南克时期,才首次全面爆发。
Never altogether until Greenspan and Bernanke.
就在这一三西格玛罕见峰值之际,伯南克却说:美国房地产市场只是反映了强劲的美国经济。
Right at the peak of that three sigma remarkable new Bernanke says, oh, The US housing market merely reflects a strong US economy.
美国房地产市场从未经历过重大下跌。
The US housing market has never had a major decline.
当然,它从未经历过重大下跌,因为它之前从未出现过如此大规模的泡沫。
Of course, it's never had a major decline because it's never had a major bubble before.
而每一个大规模泡沫最终都会破裂。
And every major bubble has broken.
为什么这一次会不同呢?
Why would this one be different?
当然,事实并非如此。
Of course, it wasn't.
这是一个完美且规范的泡沫,下跌时完全对称,正符合一个泡沫研究者所期望的那样。
It was a perfect well behaved bubble that went down symmetrically exactly as you'd hope as a bubble student.
这怎么可能呢?
How is it possible?
美联储主席写过一本关于1929年的书,却得出了所有错误的结论,这怎么可能?
How is it possible for the president of the Fed who'd written a book about 1929 and drawn all the wrong conclusions?
我应该说,他是个研究1929年的学生,身边围绕着大量统计学家和博士,却没人能说这是一次三西格玛事件。
He was a student of 1929, I should say, surrounded by statisticians, PhDs coming out of their ears, and no one can say this is a three sigma event.
它们通常都极其痛苦。
They tend to be very painful.
它完全按照旧的作战计划运行,而他却否认了这一点。
And it behaved perfectly according to the old battle plan, and he denied it.
这是这个领域的一部分。
It comes with the territory.
这并不是系统的漏洞。
It is not a bug in the system.
复杂的组织在重大转折点上总是会出错,或者几乎总是如此。
Complex organizations always get it wrong at major turning points or almost always.
作为个体,你不必这样做。
You as an individual don't have to do that.
一旦你成为机构,遗憾的是,你就不得不参与同样的政治游戏。
Once you're an institution, regrettably, you're in the same game playing political games.
作为一名养老基金官员,你面临大量的职业风险。
You have lots and lots of career risk as a pension fund officer.
他们过去常常给我打电话。
They used to call me up.
哦,再给我一些材料。
Oh, give me some more material.
我知道你是对的,但委员会马上就要淘汰你了。
I know you're right, but committee's about to shoot you.
然后过了一两个季度,杰里米,是你走还是我走,恐怕是你走。
Then a quarter or two later, well, Jeremy, it's you or me, and I'm afraid it's you.
当你能够从更长远的角度识别出市场中普遍存在的某些行为错误时,我想知道你对指数基金管理和主动管理的未来前景有何看法。
When you're able to identify, at least from a longer term perspective, some of the behavioral mistakes you see broadly in the market, I'm curious how you think about the big movement of index fund management and the potential for active management going forward.
我参与了指数基金的推出。
I was associated with the introduction of the index fund.
这个想法在1971年基本已经成型,当时我和拉巴隆院长受邀参加商学院的一个案例教学。
It was an idea that came more or less fully baked in 1971 in a case taught at the business school to which Dean LaBaron and I were invited.
我们坐在后排,看着他们犹豫是否要投资那些新兴的成长型公司,比如摩根担保信托公司、摩根大通,还是波士顿这家新兴的小盘价值型公司。
We sat on the back row, I watched them trying to decide whether they'd invest in the new growth guys, Morgan Guarantee Trust, JPMorgan, or this little new value small cap guys in Boston.
T.
T.
罗素价格是那些成长型公司。
Rowe Price were the growth guys.
很难想象增长曾经是个新概念,但当时确实如此。
It's hard to imagine that growth was a new idea, but it was back then.
这个观点是,这是一场零和游戏,对吧?
The idea was it's a zero sum game, isn't it?
在投资行业,我们并不生产实体产品。
We do not make widgets in the investment business.
我们只是在来回传递纸张。
We shuffle bits of paper around.
过去是这样,现在我们则是在传输电子数据。
In the old days, now we shuffle electrons back.
我们并没有增加社会的累积财富,恰恰相反。
We don't add to the cumulative wealth of society, quite the reverse.
那时,我们抽取了所有的交易摩擦成本,即每笔交易1%的佣金。
We extract back then all the friction, which was commissions were 1% of the trade.
所以你不仅要承受高昂的佣金,还要支付1%的管理费。
So you had painful commissions, and then you had 1% management fees.
这些都来自这个游戏。
And that comes out of the game.
所以如果你比较那些旁观扑克游戏的人,他们坐在酒吧里,却不用支付这些费用。
So if you compare the guys watching the poker game, they're sitting at the bar, and they're not paying these fees.
他们廉价地购买指数,而你却在扑克桌旁与顶尖玩家对弈。
They're buying the index cheaply, and you are down there in the poker game playing with the best players.
你认为谁会退出扑克联盟?
Who do you think drops out of a poker syndicate?
是顶尖玩家还是最差的玩家?
The best guys or the worst guys?
是那些最差的玩家退出,我可以肯定。
The worst guys drop out, I can assure you.
所以玩家变得非常聪明。
So the players get very smart.
根据定义,他们的总收益等于市场收益减去交易成本和所收取的费用。
By definition, they sum to the market minus the cost of transactions and minus the fees that they charge.
而坐在酒吧里看着你的那些人,他们的总收益为零。
And the guys at the bar watching you, they sum to zero.
他们没有任何成本。
There are no costs.
所以他们会击败你。
So they will beat you.
作为一个群体,他们必须超越你。
As a group, they must outperform you.
我职业生涯中在《投资组合管理杂志》上发表的唯一一篇重要论文,题目是《你不可能一直欺骗所有人》,这是林肯的一句名言。
The only serious paper I wrote in my career with the Journal of Portfolio Management was called But You Can't Fool All of the People All of the Time, which is a Lincoln quote.
我在1972年就认为我们会推出指数化投资,几年后指数化投资就会吞噬整个市场。
I thought back in 'seventy two that we would offer indexing, and in a few years, indexing would gobble up the market.
我们坐在那里,基本上就是等待。
We sat there and we waited basically.
有一个三十年的锁定期,直到2000年代初才发生什么显著变化。
There was a thirty year lock, and nothing much happened until the early 2000s.
然后它开始获得关注,在过去二十五年里迅速发展,如今已占据市场超过一半。
Then it started to get traction, and in the last twenty five years took off and is now more than half the market.
它为投资者节省了巨额资金。
It has saved an enormous amount of money for investors.
这是一个绝妙的点子,杰克·博格尔是我心目中的英雄之一,一位了不起的人物。
It is a brilliant idea and Jack Bogle was one of my heroes, a formidable fellow.
随着指数化投资比例逐渐接近100%,你会遇到一些理论上的难题。
You get into some intellectual problems as the percentage of indexing rises towards 100%.
最终,你仍然需要某种价格发现机制。
In the end, you have to have some price work.
你必须找到一种方式,支付数千名优秀的分析师来帮助确定股票价格。
You have to find a way of paying a few thousand good analysts to help price the equities.
我不知道他们将如何解决这个问题。
And I don't know how they will work it out.
这超出了我的能力范围,但也许在遥远的未来,可能会对所有股票征收极小的税,用以资助一万名训练有素的分析师来协助定价。
It's over my pay grade, but one day in the distant future, there might be a very tiny tax on all stocks to pay for 10,000 well trained analysts to help price it.
几十年来,我一直在客户和投资委员会的另一侧参与其中,我很想听听你对那些担任首席投资官或委员会董事会成员的人,你会给出什么建议?
Having sat on the other side of so many clients and investment committees for decades now, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what advice you give someone who's either in a CIO seat or a board member of a committee?
许多委员会的工作几乎不可能完成,尤其是在捐赠基金领域,大学里那些捐赠了大笔资金的富裕校友非常希望进入董事会。
Many committees are a nearly impossible task where particularly in the endowment business, colleges, because rich graduates who've made big donations would love to sit on the board.
他们受到特别优待,因为他们在私募股权、风险投资或对冲基金中擅长赚钱,并不意味着他们对所有事情都了如指掌。
They are treated with kid gloves because they're wonderfully good at making money at private equity or venture capital or hedge funds does not mean that they know everything about everything.
但这却让那些薪水相对较低的雇员陷入了困境。
But it makes it to the relatively lowly paid hired guns.
试图管理这些庞大自我的人,是一项几乎不可能完成的任务。
It's an impossibly difficult job to try and manage these giant egos.
对此没有简单的答案。
There's no easy answer to that.
一些养老基金已经非常专业地处理这些问题,并以非常理性的角度思考应对方式。
Some pension funds have become very professional at dealing with these things and thinking about how to deal with it on a very intellectual basis.
但这类机构只是少数。
But they're a small minority.
你必须认真思考,找出平衡这些诱惑的最佳实践。
You have to think about it, find out what are best practices to balance all these temptations.
他们能够更敢于逆向思考,更注重价值,承担更多商业风险,因为这并非他们的主业。
And they can afford to be a little more contrarian, a little more value oriented, and take a little more business risk because that's not their business.
从长远来看,他们的定位可能优于完全商业化的顾问和资产管理人。
They can be better positioned in the long run than fully commercial advisors, money managers.
其中一些人确实做到了。
And some of them are.
这并不容易。
It's not easy.
我们大多数人不得不顺应本地的职业风险:谁捐的钱多,谁就有更多投票权——这并非最理性的体系,但这就是现实。
Most of us have to bend with the local career risk, which is who gives more money gets more votes, which is not necessarily the most rational system, but that's life.
当你观察那些运作良好的养老基金、捐赠基金和基金会时,有没有哪个例子是你认为在应对这些挑战方面特别成功的?
As you've looked at examples of pension funds endowments foundations doing it well, what's an example of someone you would call out as more of a success in navigating those challenges?
那些认真勤奋的人,他们试图以最理性的方法来管理庞大的养老基金。
It's the earnest hardworking people who think they will try and get the most intellectual approach to managing a giant pension fund.
他们很努力。
They try hard.
他们常常能取得相当不错的成果。
They often succeed reasonably.
我不太愿意点名,但其中一两个最大的机构做得最好。
I feel uncomfortable mentioning any names, but one or two of the very largest are the best.
他们拥有最多的资源,并且非常明智地利用了这些资源。
They have the most resources and quite sensibly they've used them.
很多人都知道他们是谁,但我不能明说,除非我想得罪其他人。
A lot of people know who they are, but I can't really say that unless I want to offend everybody else.
我没什么职业风险,但这个问题可能是最具职业风险的。
I don't have a lot of career risk, but that's probably the question with the most career risk.
杰里米,多年来你与大卫·斯文森有着密切的合作关系。
Jeremy, for many years you had a close working relationship with David Swenson.
我很想听听你认为他做得特别出色的地方。
Would love to hear what you thought he did exceptionally well.
他拥有许多优势。
He had a lot of advantages.
在顶尖大学捐赠基金中率先行动,比大多数人更容易做到。
You can be an early mover at a leading college endowment more easily than most people can.
中型大型公司养老基金的官员面临巨大的职业风险,简直不知所措。
The pension fund officer of a medium large firm has got so much career risk, he doesn't know whether he's coming or going.
顶尖大学的光环在于,你被视为有智慧、有思想引领力的人。
The aura of a great university is that you're intellectual, you're a thought mover.
你拥有绝佳的条件来引领潮流。
You have a wonderful setup to lead the charge.
这就是背景。
So that's the background.
其次,他非常适合引领潮流。
Secondly, he was well suited to lead the charge.
他有很多好点子。
He had lots of good ideas.
他能像任何人一样捕捉到别人的优秀想法。
He could scoop up other people's good ideas as well as anybody.
他会收集最新、最前沿的想法。
He would gather the latest and greatest ideas.
当我们推出前沿新产品时,他会登门拜访。
When we had a cutting edge new product, he'd be knocking on our door.
当产品已经成熟并持续表现良好时,他早就离开了。
When it was well established and still doing well, he'd long gone.
所以我们对此习以为常。
So we got used to that.
这是一种极大的优势。
That's a great luxury.
他有一个巨大的优势:一旦建立了声誉,人人都想请他,他能进入其他人根本无法企及的基金。
He had the huge advantage that once he had a reputation, everybody wanted him, and he could get into funds that other people couldn't dream of getting into.
卓越的私募股权和风险投资。
Brilliant private equity and venture capital.
而且它们比普通的资产管理更持久。
And they are so much stickier than general money management.
在私募股权和风险投资中,资金周转没有那么快。
They don't turn over as fast in private equity and venture capital.
赢家往往持续获胜。
The winners tend to stay winners.
选对项目是一个更重要的因素。
Being in the right ones is a bigger factor.
他拥有这个优势,因为大家都想让他加入。
And he had that advantage that they wanted him.
他和任何人一样擅长分析谁是优秀的。
He could analyze who was good as well as anybody.
他们确实如此。
And they did.
所以他们拥有诸多优势,并且非常善于利用这些优势。
So they had lots of advantages and they were nicely suited to take advantage of them.
他们确实做到了。
And they did.
他们长期以来的组合堪称威力无穷。
Their combination for a long time was dynamite.
其他像普林斯顿这样的少数人也取得了类似的成就,拥有相似的优势,但程度略逊一筹。
One or two other people like Princeton, did approximately as well with similar advantages, but not quite as much.
我很好奇是什么促使你写了这本书。
I'm curious what led you to write this book.
这件事有点不光彩地发生了:我一位在GMO董事会的同事,同时也是我合著者的朋友,决定向董事会提议我们是否应该出一本书。
It was somewhat ignominiously One of my colleagues on the GMO board, who was a friend of my co writer, decided that she would ask the board if we shouldn't do a book.
最终决定要出版这本书。
It was decided to do it.
爱德华·钱德勒必须约束我,不让我在这上面做太多、在那上面做太多,否则会失去读者。
Edward Chancellor had to keep me under control and wouldn't allow me to do too much of this and too much of that because it would lose readership.
讽刺的是,这本书读起来却像是我的声音。
The irony is that it has my voice.
听起来像是我在说话,因为这本书最初基于1200页的季度信件,这些信件确实由我撰写,并且已经润色完毕,随时可以使用。
It sounds like I'm talking because it started with 1,200 pages of quarterly letters, which were indeed written by me and were well polished and ready to go.
所以他手头有1200页的材料,外加三十到四十小时的录音访谈,以及一些零散的文章。
So he had 1,200 pages plus thirty, forty hours of interview on tape, plus a few articles floating around.
他必须把这些材料打磨成型,使其变得易读。
He had to beat it into shape and make it readable.
这本书读起来并不枯燥。
It's not a painful read.
它不是在听格兰瑟姆试图解释生命与死亡的深层本质——那可能是我原本会陷入的议题;这本书相对轻松,读起来很快。
It's not listening to Grantham trying to explain the deeper essence of life and death, which I might have veered into on my It's reasonably light and a quick skip.
对读者来说幸运的是,我从1964年就开始投身投资行业。
And happily for the reader, I've been through the investment business since 1964.
在1964年,这个行业几乎还不存在。
It hardly existed in 'sixty four.
养老基金业务尚未起步。
Pension fund business had not started.
当时很少有才华横溢的人有理由进入股市。
Very few people with talent had any reason to go into the stock market.
1929年的崩盘并不遥远,才过去三十五年。
Nineteen twenty nine crash was not that far away, thirty five years.
GMO公司今年四十九岁了。
GMO is forty nine years old.
我刚入行时,距离市场崩盘的日子还很近。
When I started, it was much closer to the day the market crashed.
真正的痛苦不是1929年,而是1938年。
The real pain wasn't 1929, it was really 1938.
那离得更近。
That was much closer.
投资仍然是一个令人怀疑的行业。
Investing was still a suspicious business to be in.
正经的生意由摩根大通操持,而一些不太聪明的富家子弟则会邀请有钱人共进午餐,配上一瓶好酒,顺便给他们买几股可口可乐的股票。
The serious business was run by JPMorgan and the not so smart son of a well connected family who would take rich people out for lunch with a nice bottle of wine and he'd buy them a few shares of Coca Cola.
就是这样。
That was it.
当时没有期权模型。
There were no option models.
也没有定价理论。
There was no pricing theory.
没有人考虑过资产配置。
No one had thought about asset allocation.
一切都等着被人思考。
Everything was waiting to be thought about.
这让我非常着迷,思考如何玩这个游戏、这个垄断、这个复杂的东西,试图弄清楚是什么让它运转,以及什么能帮助你超越市场。
That was the big turn on for me, thinking of ways to play this game, this monopoly, this complicated thing, and try and work out what made it tick and what could help you outperform.
我提到过所有那些不公平的优势,我们多年来专注于小盘股,因为竞争很少,生活非常轻松。
With all the unfair advantages I mentioned that we specialized in small cap for years where we had little competition and life was easy.
过去几年,你花了不少时间和精力在环保事业上。
The last bunch of years, you spent a fair amount of time and your philanthropic efforts focused on the environment.
我们很想听听您如何看待投资领域与气候变化之间的某些相似之处。
We'd love to hear how you think about some of the parallels in the investment world and what you see happening with the climate.
在书的结尾,我意识到人类有一些非常强大的偏见。
At the end of the book, I realized that humans have some pretty powerful biases.
其中之一是我们对长期事务并不真正感兴趣。
One of them is we're not really interested in long term.
时间越长,我们的兴趣就越少。
And the longer the term, the less our interest.
其次,我们不喜欢坏消息。
Secondly, we don't like unpleasant news.
我们真的非常不喜欢。
We really do not like it.
所以我们总是倾向于积极的解读。
So we have a positive spin.
我相信乐观是一种生存特质。
I believe that optimism is a survival characteristic.
我怀疑,在过去二十万年里,真正的悲观主义者并没有真正的乐观主义者生存得那么好。
I suspect that the real pessimist didn't thrive as well as the real optimist for the last two hundred thousand years.
适者生存不仅包括更强壮和更快,还包括更乐观。
Survival of the fittest included, along with being stronger and faster, being more optimistic.
反叛者显然也生存了下来。
Contrarians apparently survived.
你的族群中需要一些少数的反叛者,让他们思考作物歉收时会发生什么、野牛消失时会发生什么等等,但这类人只能是少数。
You need the odd contrarian in your tribe useful to have someone thinking about what happens when the crops fail, what happens when there are no buffalo, and so on, but a small minority.
你必须应对乐观偏见和短期偏见。
You have to deal with an optimistic bias and a short term bias.
这解释了市场的很多现象。
That explains a lot about the market.
市场实际上只是对今天状况的外推。
The market really is an extrapolation of today's conditions.
大家都讲过这样一个笑话:市场是在向前无限推演一系列股息支付。
Everyone tells this joke story about the market is projecting forward in time an infinite series of dividend payments.
不,不是这样的。
No, it's not.
看看数据。
Check the data.
市场正在 extrapolating 当前的状况。
The market is extrapolating today's conditions.
如果你身处1929年,经历了出色的盈利,利润率是正常水平的一点五倍,你会预期糟糕时期会到来吗?
If you're sitting in 1929 and you've had wonderful earnings and profit margins are one and a half times normal, do you anticipate that bad times will come?
不会。
No.
你假设一点五倍的正常水平会永远持续下去,这解释了1929年7月的价格。
You assume that one and a half times normal will be there forever, and it explains the price in July 1929.
到了1974年,利润率被压垮,又遭遇石油危机,市场难道不会预期一场辉煌的复苏吗?
And you come back in 1974 and the margins are crushed and you've got an oil crisis, surely the market must expect a magnificent recovery.
绝对不是。
Absolutely not.
市场以七倍市盈率出售,表明它认为不会出现复苏。
The market sells at seven times earnings, indicating it thinks that there will be no recovery.
对于大多数股票来说,收益率达到百分之七、八、十是相当合理的,因为这就是你能得到的全部回报。
It's quite appropriate for most stocks to yield seven, eight, 10%, because that's all you're going to get.
因此,市场只取最差的情况并采用低市盈率,而将最好的情况乘以高市盈率。
So the market just takes the worst and has a low PE, takes the best multiplies by a high PE.
它在进行外推。
It's extrapolating.
凯恩斯再次提到,外推是我们采用的惯例,尽管我们从个人经验中知道这并不成立。
Keynes once again, he said extrapolation is the convention we adopt even though we know from personal experience that it is not the case.
因为如果你们都同意进行外推,那么你们就达成了共识。
Because if you all agree to extrapolate, then you're all on the same page.
你不需要猜测对手会做什么。
You don't have to guess what the enemy is going to do.
他也不必费心去琢磨你会做什么。
He doesn't have to work out what you're going to do.
你们都会一起跳下悬崖,但你们不会丢掉工作。
You're all going to jump over the cliff together, and you will not lose your job.
这如何反映你对人们对待环境方式的看法?
How does that reflect on how you see people treating the environment?
对长期性和不愉快的厌恶,想想这在气候变化中的体现。
The hatred of long term and unpleasantness, think about that in climate change.
我不想听那种说法,天啊,他们一直说气候不好。
I don't want to hear that, oh, god, they've been saying bad things about the climate forever.
不可能仅仅因为燃烧几加仑燃料就导致持续恶化。
Can't possibly be any sustained deterioration just because of burning a few gallons.
这一切都是完全可以预测、可以编程的。
It's all absolutely predictable, programmable.
你知道大气中每百万分之一的二氧化碳究竟会产生什么影响。
You know what the effect of each part per million really is of CO2 in the atmosphere.
你知道如果将其翻倍会发生什么,而我们正在恰恰这么做。
You know what happens if you double it, and we're doing precisely that.
气温正在上升,大致符合他们五十年前、八十年前和十年前的预测。
The temperature is rising, give or take, what they would have predicted fifty years ago, eighty years ago, and ten years ago.
但人们却愿意对此视而不见。
But people are prepared to ignore it.
今天的洪水和火灾不会让我的生活变得难以忍受,除非我住在火灾区或洪涝区,今年买不到保险。
Today the floods and fires are not going to make my life unbearable tomorrow, unless I live in a fire zone or a flood zone and can't get insurance this year.
所以问题已经开始显现,但才刚刚开始。
So it's beginning to bite, but only just beginning.
然后你会想到那些在长远来看真正重要的事情。
Then you think of everything else that really matters in the long run.
另一个问题是毒性正在破坏我们的健康。
Another one would be toxicity that is ruining our health.
我们制造了一锅有毒的混合物,正在丧失生育能力。
We've created a toxic stew and we're losing the ability to procreate.
没人愿意谈论这个问题。
No one will talk about that.
上周末我让AI解释为什么婴儿出生率在下降,并让它主导这个话题。
I asked AI over the weekend to explain why baby production was dropping and made it take the lead.
它逐步专业地列出了数十个不生育孩子的经济和社会原因,这与过去的情况大不相同。
And it gradually filled in very professionally all of the dozens of ideas, economic and social reasons for not having children like you did in the old days.
对此,当然谁都会同意。
To which, of course, one agrees.
然后我问它:你有没有遗漏什么?
Then I got to say, have you missed anything?
它又找出了三四个因素。
It found three or four things.
接着我进一步追问:对了,那毒性问题呢?
Then I bushwhacked it and said, yeah, what about toxicity?
哦,没错,毒性问题非常严重。
Oh, yes, toxicity is huge.
它详细阐述了整个论据。
And it lays out the whole case.
所有数据都显示精子数量下降。
All the data drops in sperm count.
这简直是个恐怖故事。
It's a horror story.
它说对了。
And it got it right.
它早就知道这一切。
It knew it all the time.
所以当它说完后,我基本上说:老兄,这到底怎么回事?
So when that finished, I said basically, dude, what is going on here?
人人都在告诉我你有多聪明。
Everyone's telling me how smart you are.
尽管你这么聪明,即使我不断追问,你还是漏掉了什么?
And despite your smartness, even when I'm pushing you, what have you missed?
你从不会提出一些你后来承认很重要的东西。
You don't come up with something that you then admit is important.
用五到六段话给出了一个非常容易理解的论述,没错,你说得对。
Gave a very easily understood dissertation over five or six paragraphs that, yes, you're right.
当然,我们只讨论那些引起关注的事情。
Of course, we only talk about things that are on the radar screen.
如果人们忽视它,我们也会忽视它。
If people are ignoring it, we ignore it.
就是这样。
That's it.
所以AI只会告诉你主流观点是什么。
So AI will only tell you what the mainstream is.
这种等待机制意味着,谈论的人越多,人们就越觉得它严重,它的作用就越大。
The waiting system means that the more people are talking about it, the more they think it's serious, the bigger the role is.
这就是你如何登上旧版谷歌搜索榜单的方式,也是你如何登上AI榜单的方式。
That's how you get to the top of the old Google list, and that's how you get to the top of the AI list.
如果你是个反主流的观点,它们会感到不适。
And if you're a contrarian idea, they're uncomfortable.
当我输入非主流观点时,每一段都回答:是的,但你意识到这并不被普遍接受。
When I feed it contrarian ideas, every paragraph says, yes, but you realize this is not commonly accepted.
你一次又一次地意识到这一点。
You realize this over and over again.
在机器能够感到不适的范围内,它似乎对非主流观点和有害内容感到不安。
To the extent that a machine can be uncomfortable, it appears to be uncomfortable with contrarian views and with toxicity.
它承认,人工智能的发展速度比气候变化更快,也更危险。
It admits that it's faster moving and more dangerous than climate change.
按照这种趋势,它将因缺乏新人而承受不住压力。
That at this rate, it will fail under stress from lack of newbies.
你知道日本20岁年龄段的人口只有1948年的百分之五十吗?
Do you know the 20 year old cohort in Japan is fifty percent of what it was in 1948?
百分之五十。
Fifty percent.
中国的生育率刚刚跌破1,这意味着每个年轻人需要抚养四位祖父母。
The fertility rate in China has just dropped below one, which means every young person has four grandparents to support.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。