本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
WBUR播客,波士顿。
WBUR Podcasts, Boston.
如果你是《循环世界》的超级粉丝,并且在本集播出的这一周收听,那么你应该知道我们即将举办一些令人兴奋的活动,包括在科罗拉多州、北卡罗来纳州和马萨诸塞州的现场录制。
If you're a circle round super fan and you're listening the week this episode comes out, then you know we've got some exciting events coming up, including live recordings in Colorado, North Carolina, and Massachusetts.
仍有部分门票可供选择,请访问 wbur.org/circleround 获取您的门票。
Select tickets remain, so get yours at wbur.org/circleround.
在我们为现场演出做准备的同时,请欣赏这期《循环世界》的特别重播版,这是一个让无数粉丝沉迷于某个游戏的故事。
While we're gearing up for our live shows, please enjoy this special encore edition of circle round, a story that's gotten countless fans hooked on a certain game.
是什么游戏?
Which game is it?
你很快就会知道的。
You'll soon find out.
你有没有注意过,当你往池塘或湖里扔一颗小石子时会发生什么?
Have you ever noticed what happens when you toss a pebble into a pond or lake?
首先,水面上会出现一圈圈涟漪。
First, circles appear on the surface.
对吧?
Right?
然后它们向外扩散,似乎永无止境。
Then they ripple outward and seem to go on forever.
这被称为涟漪效应。
That's called a ripple effect.
正如我们今天的故事将要讲述的,就像一颗小石子能在水中激起巨大的涟漪,我们的行动也能产生远超想象的巨大影响。
And as we'll hear in today's story, just like a little pebble can create big ripples in the water, our actions can create big ripples too beyond our wildest dreams.
我是丽贝卡·希尔,欢迎来到《故事圈》,这里随时都有故事时间。
I'm Rebecca Scheer, and welcome to Circle Round, where story time happens all the time.
今天,我们要讲的故事叫做《学者的奖赏》。
Today, our story is called The Scholar's Reward.
这个故事的多个版本源自东南亚国家印度。
Versions of this tale come from the Southeast Asian country of India.
为了呈现这个民间故事的改编版,我们汇聚了一些非常优秀的人才,包括萨默·比舍尔和迈克尔·马利亚基尔。
Some really great people came together to bring you our adaptation of this folktale, including Summer Bischel and Michael Maliakiel.
萨默·比舍尔在科幻频道的《魔法师》中主演,还出演了近期的独立电影《四颗桑果斯》。
Summer Bischel stars in The Magicians on Sci Fi, as well as the recent indie film Four Samosas.
迈克尔·马利亚基尔在热门百老汇音乐剧《阿拉丁》中饰演主角。
Michael Maliakiel is starring as the title character in the hit Broadway musical Aladdin.
所以,大家围成一圈,一起来听《学者的奖赏》。
So circle around everyone for the scholars reward.
很久以前,在印度,有一位拉贾——也就是国王——他拥有巨大的宫殿、庞大的仆人队伍,以及对战争的极度痴迷。
Long ago in India, there was a Raja or king who had an enormous palace, a massive staff of servants, and a colossal obsession with war.
啊,我多么热爱战斗的刺激、进攻的激动,以及派遣军队入侵他国的振奋感。
Oh, how I love the thrill of battle, the excitement of attack, the exhilaration of sending my army to invade other lands.
而这位拉贾则安坐在他宏伟的宫殿中,不断派遣军队入侵其他国家。
And from the comfort of his enormous palace, the Raja was always sending his army to invade other lands.
而且,他的军队多么强大啊。
And what an army it was.
在那个年代,军队由四个兵种组成。
In those days, the army consisted of four divisions or arms.
首先,有步兵,也就是徒步上阵的士兵。
First, there was the infantry, the foot soldiers who marched into battle.
然后是大象。
Then there were the elephants.
是的,大象,这些庞大笨重的动物,它们洪亮的吼叫声令敌人胆寒。
Yes, elephants, massive lumbering animals whose mighty trumpeting call struck fear in the hearts of the enemy.
在大象之后是战车兵,那些驾驶迅捷马车冲入战场的勇敢士兵。
After the elephants came the charioteers, The brave soldiers who rolled in on swift horse drawn chariots.
战车兵之后是骑兵。
And after the charioteers came the cavalry.
那些骑马冲锋陷阵的英勇骑士。
The gallant riders who galloped into battle on horseback.
这四个兵种都由一位由拉贾亲自任命的将军统率。
All four divisions were led by a general who was personally appointed by the Raja himself.
但关键是。
But here's the thing.
甚至连将军也不赞同拉贾的好战作风。
Not even the general approved of the Raja's warring ways.
事实上,王国里没有人赞同。
In fact, no one in the kingdom did.
所有人都对拉贾无休止的入侵感到厌倦,包括他自己的顾问们,他们召开了一次秘密会议,商讨如何应对。
Everyone had grown weary of the Raja's never ending invasions, including his own advisers who called a private meeting to see what could be done.
我的各位同僚,我们必须找到办法,让拉贾放弃对战争的痴迷。
My fellow advisers, we must find a way to end the Rajah's obsession with war.
事实上,是这些土地上的人们在被入侵。
Indeed, the people in these lands were invading.
他们什么错都没做。
They've done nothing wrong.
然而,已有那么多村庄、城镇和城市被摧毁。
Yet so many villages, towns, and cities have been destroyed.
已有那么多生命逝去。
So many lives have been lost.
是的。
Yes.
而且不仅是士兵的生命,还有普通百姓的生命。
And not just soldiers' lives, but the lives of everyday citizens.
想想所有的破坏。
Think of all the destruction.
想想所有被留下的家人和朋友。
Think of all the family and friends left behind.
一场战争竟能造成如此巨大的破坏,真是令人难以置信。
It's incredible how much devastation one war can cause.
但我们如何才能让拉贾明白这一点呢?
But how can we get the Raja to understand that?
就在顾问们苦思冥想对策时,一位陌生人来到了宫殿。
While the advisers were puzzling over what to do, a stranger arrived at the palace.
她一只手提着一个皮箱。
In one hand, she carried a leather case.
她的另一只手里拿着一个抽绳钱包。
In the other, she carried a drawstring purse.
她告诉顾问们,她是一位来自遥远国度的学者。
She told the advisers she was a scholar from a land far, far away.
我长途跋涉来到你们的王国,因为我知道如何终结拉贾对战争的痴迷。
And I have traveled many, many miles to your kingdom because I know how to end the Raja's obsession with war.
我只请求能与拉贾私下会面,以便送他一份特别的礼物。
All I ask is that I may meet with the Raja privately, so I may give him a special gift.
正如你所想,顾问们非常兴奋地迎接这位可能终结拉贾征战方式的人,他们毫不耽搁地将这位学者护送至拉贾的寝宫——一个铺着抛光大理石地板、悬挂着闪闪发光的水晶吊灯、并摆放着一张镶金华丽桌子的奢华房间。
As you can imagine, the advisors were very excited to meet someone who might end the Raja's warring ways, so they wasted no time escorting the scholar to the Raja's chamber, an opulent room with polished marble floors, glittering chandeliers, and a fancy table inlaid with gold.
坐在桌边,正研究着一幅周边各国的彩色地图的,正是拉贾。
Seated at the table, studying a colorful map of all the surrounding countries, was the Raja.
哦,你们好,顾问们。
Oh, greetings, advisers.
我刚才正在查看这张地图,琢磨着接下来该入侵哪片土地。
I was just searching this map to see which land I should invade next.
但这位是谁呢?
But who have we here?
一位客人?
A guest?
学者鞠了一躬。
The scholar bowed.
是的,陛下。
Indeed, your majesty.
我是一位远道而来的学者,特地为您带来一份特别的礼物。
I am a scholar who has traveled long and far to bring you a special gift.
我可以私下为您展示吗?
May I show it to you in private?
拉贾把地图推到一边。
The Raja pushed his map aside.
当然,请坐到我身边来,学者,给我看看你的礼物。
Of course, come sit down with me, scholar, and show me your gift.
顾问们,你们可以退下了。
Advisors, you may be dismissed.
顾问们匆忙离开房间,学者则坐在了与拉贾相对的桌子旁。
The advisors hurried from the room as the scholar sat down at the table across from the Raja.
然后她从皮制箱子里取出。
Then she reached into her leather case and pulled out.
一块板子?
A board?
你是在送我一块板子?
You're giving me a board?
这不是普通的板子,陛下。
Not just any board, your majesty.
您看,它被画上了由64个黑白方格组成的棋盘图案吗?
Do you see how it's painted with a checkered pattern of 64 black and white squares?
是的。
Yes.
那么,在这些方格上,您放置这些。
Well, on those squares, you place these.
学者把手伸进她的抽绳小包。
The scholar reached into her drawstring purse.
她一个接一个地取出各式各样的手工雕刻棋子。
One by one, she plucked out an assortment of hand carved pieces.
其中一半棋子是黑色的,另一半是白色的。
Half of the pieces were black and half were white.
拉贾饶有兴致地看着学者在棋盘一侧摆好黑色棋子,另一侧摆好白色棋子。
The Raja watched with curiosity as the scholar lined up the black pieces on one side of the board and the white pieces on the other.
我必须说,学者,这些棋子非常精美。
I must say, scholar, these pieces are very beautiful.
雕刻得如此精细。
Such intricate carvings.
但这些棋子、这个棋盘,它们是用来做什么的呢?
But the pieces, the board, what are they for?
很高兴您问了这个问题,陛下。
I'm glad you asked, your excellency.
这些棋子和棋盘,是用来打仗的。
The pieces, the board, they are for waging war.
拉贾摇了摇头。
The Raja shook his head.
但我一直在打仗啊。
But I'm already waging war all the time.
我几乎从没有一刻不在派遣我的整个军队投入战斗。
There's rarely a moment I'm not sending my entire army into battle.
步兵、象兵、战车兵、骑兵。
The infantry, the elephants, the charioteers, the cavalry.
我明白,殿下。
I understand that, your highness.
但这些棋子和这个棋盘,能让您随时想打就打,想打多少次就打多少次,而无需派出一名步兵、一头大象、一辆战车或一名骑兵上阵。
But these pieces, this board, they will allow you to wage war anytime you'd like, as often as you'd like, without sending a single foot soldier, elephant, charioteer, or cavalryman into the fray.
但那是不可能的。
But that's impossible.
并非如此,陛下。
It is not, your majesty.
您看,这个棋盘和这些棋子,是我发明的一种新游戏的一部分。
You see, this board and these pieces, they're part of a new game I've invented.
如果您明智地玩这个游戏,就可以随时投入战斗。
And if you play this game wisely, you can march into battle anytime you want.
你只需要相信我。
You just have to trust me.
这位学者带来的新游戏,你觉得它是什么?
This new game the scholar has brought, what do you think it is?
它真的能帮助拉贾在不实际参战的情况下发动战争吗?
And will it really help the Raja wage war without actually going to battle?
我们将在短暂休息后揭晓答案。
We'll find out after a quick break.
评论已经出来了,像您这样的超级粉丝都非常喜欢‘Circle Round Club’——这是一个支持公共广播的绝佳机会,还能获得酷炫周边,包括无广告的节目和来自我的个性化生日祝福。
The reviews are in, and super fans like you are loving the Circle Round Club, an exciting opportunity to support public radio and get cool stuff, including ad free episodes and a personalized birthday message from me.
我喜欢‘Circle Round Club’的地方在于,丽贝卡·谢尔会发送额外的消息,而且还能支持这个节目。
What I like about the Circle Round Club is that Rebecca Scheer sends extra messages, and it supports the show.
而且完全没有广告。
And there are no ads.
成年人们,请支持公共广播,今天就前往 wbur.org/circleroundclub 注册吧。
Grown ups, support public radio and sign up today at wbur.org/circleroundclub.
欢迎回到《Circle Round》。
Welcome back to Circle Round.
我是丽贝卡·谢尔。
I'm Rebecca Scheer.
今天,我们要讲的故事叫《学者的奖赏》。
Today, our story is called The Scholar's Reward.
在广告之前,一位强大的拉贾不断入侵其他国家,令他王国里的每个人都深感不安。
Before the break, a powerful Raja was constantly invading other lands, much to the dismay of everyone in his kingdom.
这时,一位神秘的学者到来,她说她能阻止拉贾发动战争。
Then a mysterious scholar arrived who said she could stop the Raja from waging war.
她向拉贾展示了一种新游戏,是在黑白相间的棋盘上用黑白棋子进行的。
She presented the Raja with a new game played with black and white pieces on a black and white checkered board.
学者向拉贾解释说,在游戏中,棋盘象征着战场。
The scholar explained to the Raja that in the game, the board was a symbol for the battlefield.
而要玩这个游戏,陛下,您需要在战场上移动棋子。
And to play the game, your majesty, you move the pieces around the battlefield.
每位玩家从棋盘自己的一侧开始,然后向前移动,就像行军奔赴战场一样。
Each player starts on their side of the board, and then they move across as if marching off to war.
仅仅是提到战场和战争,就引起了拉贾的兴趣。
The mere mention of battlefields and war had the Raja intrigued.
再详细说说。
Tell me more.
学者指向一个高高的棋子,其顶端雕刻着一顶精美的王冠。
The scholar pointed to a tall game piece topped with a beautifully carved crown.
这个棋子代表您,陛下。
This piece represents you, your majesty.
这是拉贾,国王,就是这个棋子。
It is the Raja, the king, and this piece.
她指了指旁边的一个棋子。
She pointed to the next piece over.
这个棋子代表将军。
This piece represents the general.
接着,她指向一排整齐排列的较小棋子。
Now she gestured toward a series of smaller pieces, all identical and lined up in a row.
这些棋子代表步兵,也就是在前线冲锋的士兵。
These pieces represent the infantry, the foot soldiers who march on the front lines.
至于其他棋子,这些是战象,这些是战车兵,而棋盘角落的棋子则是骑兵。
As for the rest of the pieces, these are the elephants, these are the charioteers, and these pieces in the corners of the board are the cavalry.
拉贾的眼睛和脸上焕发出光彩。
The Raja's eyes and face lit up.
我的军队,所有四个兵种,都在这棋盘上了。
My army, all four divisions, they're all on this board.
没错,陛下。
That's right, your highness.
双方玩家都拥有自己的军队,以这些棋子的形式呈现。
Both players have their own armies in the form of these pieces.
他们轮流在棋盘上移动棋子,目标是捕获对手的棋子。
They take turns moving their pieces across the board in hopes of capturing their opponent's pieces.
而谁能成功俘获拉贾,也就是国王,谁就能赢得这场游戏和战争。
And whoever succeeds in capturing the Raja, the king, they win the game and the war.
然后他们可以重置棋盘,重新开始。
Then they can reset the board and start all over again.
这太棒了,学者。
It's brilliant, Scholar.
简直太棒了。
Just brilliant.
我太喜欢了。
I love it.
我们来下一盘棋吧。
Let's play a game.
确实如此。
So they did.
拉贾和学者下了第一局国际象棋。
The Raja and the Scholar played the very first game of chess.
但那时它被称为恰图兰加,在印度的梵语中意为四肢或四臂,就像拉贾军队的四支部队一样。
Only back then it was called Chaturanga, which in the Sanskrit language of India means four limbed or four arms, just like the four arms of the Raja's army.
拉贾和学者一整天都在下这盘棋。
The Raja and the Scholar spent the entire day playing the game.
到了夜晚,拉贾已经着迷了。
By nightfall, the Raja was hooked.
学者,你教我的这个游戏太精彩了。
Scholar, this game you've taught me is marvelous.
它拥有真实战斗所有的刺激与策略。
It has all the excitement and strategy of a real life battle.
但却没有真实的破坏。
Yet none of the real life destruction.
陛下,与真实战争不同,真实战争中失去一条生命、一个村庄、一座城镇或一座城市都会影响到许多人。
Your majesty, unlike in real war, where the loss of one life or village or town or city can affect so many people.
而这个游戏没有暴力,没有毁灭,没有
This game is played without violence, without devastation, without
对。
Right.
对。
Right.
我的意思是,这个游戏太棒了,我必须奖励你将它介绍给我。
My point is this game is amazing, and I must reward you for introducing it to me.
你要什么我都给你,学者。
I'll give you anything you wish, Scholar.
任何东西。
Anything.
学者长久而严肃地注视着拉贾。
The Scholar gave the Raja a long hard look.
您真的会给我任何东西吗,阁下?
You'll give me anything, your excellency?
是的,任何东西。
Yes, anything.
说吧,它就是你的了。
Name it and it's yours.
嗯,那样的话,我只要一粒米。
Well, that case, I will take one grain of rice.
罗阇王吃了一惊。
The Raja was taken aback.
仅仅一粒米。
One single grain of rice.
嗯,我当然可以给你不止一粒米。
Well, surely I can give you more than one grain of rice.
对于一位如此深刻地改变了我生活的人来说,这点奖励太微不足道了。
That's a measly reward for someone who's changed my life in such a significant way.
那好吧。
Very well.
学者指向了黑白相间的棋盘。
The scholar pointed at the black and white checkered board.
这个棋盘上有64个格子。
There are 64 squares on this board.
我希望你能给我相当于64天分量的米,但我想让你按以下方式给我。
I would like you to give me sixty four days worth of rice, but I want you to give it to me in the following fashion.
第一天,你会在第一个格子上放一粒米。
On the first day, you will place one grain of rice on the first square.
第二天,你会加倍,在第二个格子上放两粒米。
On the second day, you will double it and put two grains of rice on the second square.
第三天,你再翻一倍,在第三个格子上放四粒米。
On the third day, you will double it again and put four grains of rice on the third square.
让我猜猜,第四天,我再翻一倍,在第四个格子上放八粒米?
And let me guess, on the fourth day, I'll double it again and put eight grains of rice on the fourth square?
没错,陛下。
That's right, your majesty.
每一天你给我的米都要翻倍,一直持续到第六十四天和第六十四个格子。
Each day you will double the amount of rice you give me, all the way until the sixty fourth day and the sixty fourth square.
拉贾凝视着学者。
The Raja gazed at the scholar.
然后他拍了拍膝盖,大笑起来。
Then he slapped his knee and let out a laugh.
哦,得了吧,学者。
Oh, come now, scholar.
即使你每天都将米粒数量翻倍,到第六十四天,你最多也就能得到一杯米,甚至可能更少。
Even if you double the rice every single day on the sixty fourth day, you're bound to get little more than a cup, if not less.
你就只是为了教我这个精妙的棋类游戏,就只要求这些吗?
Is that really all you want for teaching me this brilliant battle game?
是的,陛下。
Yes, your majesty.
这确实就是我想要的全部。
That's really all I want.
于是,拉贾前往皇家粮仓,那里存放着小麦、小米以及稻米等皇家粮食储备。
So the Raja paid a visit to the Royal Granary, where his staff kept the royal supply of grains like wheat, millet, and yes, rice.
第一天,拉贾向这位学者献上了
And on the first day, the Raja presented the scholar with
一粒米。
One grain of rice.
谢谢陛下。
Thank you, your majesty.
第二天,拉贾向这位学者献上了
On the second day, the Raja presented the scholar with
两粒
Two grains of
大米。
rice.
谢谢陛下。
Thank you, your majesty.
第三天,拉贾向学者呈上了。
On the third day, the Raja presented the scholar with.
四粒米。
Four grains of rice.
谢谢陛下。
Thank you, your majesty.
第四天,拉贾向学者献上了
On the fourth day, the Raja presented the scholar with
八粒米。
eight grains of rice.
谢谢您,陛下。
Thank you, your majesty.
到了第五天,拉贾给了学者……嗯,不如你来猜猜看?
And on the fifth day, the Raja presented the scholar with well, actually, why don't you figure it out?
第四天是八粒米。
On the fourth day, it was eight grains of rice.
那这是多少的两倍?
So what's double that?
你猜对了。
You guessed it.
十六粒米。
16 grains of rice.
谢谢您,陛下。
Thank you, your majesty.
快进到第八天,
Fast forward to the eighth day,
棋盘第一行的末尾。
the end of the first row on the board.
到了第八天,拉贾献给学者的礼物是。
And on that eighth day, the Raja presented the scholar with.
128粒米。
128 grains of rice.
谢谢陛下。
Thank you, your majesty.
拉贾让皇家财务官计算一下,把128粒米加到学者迄今为止收到的所有米粒上。
The Raja asked the royal treasurer to do the math and add the 128 grains of rice to all the grains of rice the scholar had received so far.
当总数出来时,仅仅只有
And when the total came back, it was a mere
255粒。
255.
整整八个方格和整整八天,我给出的总共才255粒米。
Eight entire squares and eight entire days, and all I've given out is 255 grains of rice.
这位女士或许自称是学者,但我开始觉得她是个傻子。
This woman may call herself a scholar, but I'm beginning to believe she's a fool.
靠着她这种翻倍的算法,米粒根本加不了多少。
With this doubling scheme of hers, the rice is barely adding up.
但他根本不知道接下来会发生什么。
Well, little did he know what was to come.
到了棋盘第一行结束时,这位学者已经收到了总共255粒米。
By the end of the first row on the board, the scholar had received a total of 255 grains of rice.
对吧?
Right?
那么,到了第二行结束时,她总共收到了。
Well, by the end of the second row, she had received a total of.
超过六万五千粒米。
Over 65,000 grains of rice.
到了第三行结束时,她总共收到了。
By the end of the third row, she had received a total of.
超过1600万粒米?
Over 16,000,000 grains of rice?
而到了第四行结束时,她总共收到了
And by the end of the fourth row, she had received a total of
超过40亿粒米?
Over 4,000,000,000 grains of rice?
棋盘才走完一半,皇家粮仓就快空了。
We're only halfway through the board, and the royal granary is nearly empty.
我不知道该如何熬过接下来的四行和三十二天。
I don't know how I'll make it through the next four rows and the next thirty two days.
也许那位学者并非愚人。
Perhaps that scholar isn't a fool.
一粒米已经变得非常、非常了不起了。
One grain of rice has grown very great, very great indeed.
然而,那一粒米仍有大量的倍增要做。
And yet, that one grain still had a lot of multiplying to do.
拉贾让国库总管做了更多的计算。
The Raja had the royal treasurer do even more math.
根据她的计算,在第六十四天、第六十四格时,拉贾必须向这位学者交付总计
And by her calculations, on the sixty fourth day and the sixty fourth square, the Raja would have to present the scholar with a grand total of
九百亿亿两千二百三十三万亿三千七百二十三亿六千八百五十四万七千七百零八粒米?
Nine quintillion two hundred twenty three quadrillion three hundred seventy two trillion thirty six billion eight hundred fifty four million seven hundred seventy five thousand eight hundred and eight grains of rice?
王室粮仓里根本没有这么多米,甚至整个国家都没有这么多米。
There's not nearly that much rice in the royal granary, let alone in this entire country.
拉贾心沉了下去,因为他知道,自己别无选择,只能食言,告诉学者无法兑现承诺。
The Raja's heart fell, for he knew he had no choice but to go back on his promise and tell the scholar he could not fulfill her reward.
但当他这么说时,学者一点也不感到惊讶。
But when he did, she wasn't the least bit surprised.
当然,陛下,您无法兑现我的奖励。
Of course, you can't fulfill my reward, your majesty.
仅在第六十四天,您就欠我九百亿亿两千二百三十三万亿三千七百二十三亿六千八百五十四万七千七百零八粒米
On the sixty fourth day alone, you would owe me 9 quintillion 223 quadrillion 3 I
我知道,我知道。
know, I know.
或者说至少我现在知道了。
Or at least now I know.
当我们开始这个实验时,我完全没想到一粒米能产生如此巨大的影响。
When we started this whole experiment, I had no idea what a major effect one grain of rice could have.
就像你当初不知道一场战争会带来多大影响一样,两场、四场、八场、十六场也是如此。
Just as you had no idea what a major effect one war would have, or two, or four, or eight, or 16.
所有
All of
突然间,拉贾明白了一切。
a sudden, the Raja understood everything.
这是他第一次如此清晰地认识到自己好战行为所带来的深远后果。
For the first time, the far reaching consequences of his war happy actions became crystal clear.
哦,我亲爱的女士,我之前怎么就没看出来呢?
Oh, my dear, dear woman, how did I not see it before?
我发动的战争,那些无数的战争,带来了巨大的破坏和损失,远超我以往任何想象,直到现在我才真正明白。
The wars I waged, the many, many wars, they led to such devastation, such loss, far beyond anything I could comprehend until now.
因此,由于这位学者的智慧,拉贾放下了对战争的痴迷,从此再也没有侵略过任何土地。
And so, thanks to the scholar's wisdom, the Raja gave up his obsession with war, and he never attacked another land again.
更重要的是,他邀请这位学者成为他的首席顾问,以便每天都能依靠她的明智建议。
What's more, he invited the scholar to become his chief adviser so he could rely on her wise counsel each and every day.
当她没有在给他建议时,她就坐在他对面,两人一起玩他们最爱的游戏。
And when she wasn't counseling him, she was sitting across from him as the pair played their favorite game.
他们轮流在一张黑白相间的八行六十四格棋盘上移动自己的黑白棋子,棋局变化近乎无限。
They took turns moving their black and white pieces on a black and white checkered board with eight rows, 64 squares, and nearly infinite possibilities.
现在轮到你了。
Now it's your turn.
在本集开头,我们谈到了涟漪效应。
At the start of the episode, we talked about a ripple effect.
找一些纸和笔、蜡笔或彩铅,准备好画出善意带来的涟漪效应。
Find some paper and some markers, crayons, or colored pencils, and get ready to draw the ripple effects of kindness.
在纸的左侧,画一幅你为他人行善举的图画。
On the left side of the paper, draw a picture of you doing an act of kindness for someone.
也许你给朋友一个微笑,为陌生人扶门,或者帮家人做家务。
Maybe you give a friend a smile, you hold the door open for a stranger, or you help a family member with a chore.
我们称那个人为A。
We'll call that person person A.
很可能你的善举会让A感到非常特别,从而激励他们与他人分享善意。
Chances are your act of kindness will make person A feel so special, they'll be inspired to share kindness with somebody else.
那么,在你第一幅画的右边,画出人物A向人物B分享一个善举。
So to the right of your first picture, draw person A sharing an act of kindness with person b.
然后画出人物B向人物C分享另一个善举。
Then draw person b sharing another act of kindness with person c.
你的画可以想画多长就画多长。
Your drawing can go on for as long as you'd like.
你的第一个善举能传递多远呢?
How far can your first act of kindness reach?
有多少人受到激励而变得友善?
How many people are inspired to be kind?
我想你会发现,这种涟漪效应可以持续不断地扩散下去。
I think you'll find that the ripple effect can go on and on.
本周的故事《学者的奖赏》由我丽贝卡·希尔改编。
This week's story, The Scholar's Reward, was adapted by me, Rebecca Scheer.
由诺拉·萨克斯编辑。
It was edited by Nora Saxe.
我们的原创音乐和音效设计由埃里克·希梅洛尼斯负责。
Our original music and sound design is by Eric Shimelonis.
我们的插画师是萨宾娜·哈恩。
Our artist is Sabina Hahn.
萨宾娜为每一个《循环故事》都创作了黑白涂色页。
Sabina has created a black and white coloring page for every single circle around story.
家长们,你们可以在我们的网站 wbur.org/circleround 上找到近200张涂色页并打印出来。
Grown ups, you can find nearly 200 coloring pages and print them out on our website, wbur.org/circleround.
当你在那里时,你还可以找到各种各样的Circle Round周边商品,包括我们的T恤衫、填色书、CD、手提袋、水瓶、可爱的毛绒狮子,以及我们新出的图画书。
While you're there, you can also find all sorts of circle round swag, including our t shirt, coloring book, CD, tote bag, water bottle, cuddly stuffed lion, plus our new picture books.
它们都在wbur.org/circleround网站上。
They're all at wbur.org/circleround.
特别感谢本周的演员们:Theodore Chin、Jessica Rao、Jefferson a Russell、Summer Bischel和Michael Maliakiel。
Special thanks to this week's actors, Theodore Chin, Jessica Rao, Jefferson a Russell, Summer Bischel, and Michael Maliakiel.
Summer Bischel主演了Syfy频道的《魔法师》以及最近的独立电影《四个萨莫萨》。
Summer Bischel stars in The Magicians on Syfy and in the recent indie film Four Samosas.
如果你在纽约市,不妨去看看迈克尔·马利亚基尔在热门百老汇音乐剧《阿拉丁》中担任主角的演出。
And if you're in New York City, check out Michael Maliakiel starring as the title character in the hit Broadway musical Aladdin.
本周的特色乐器是塔布拉鼓。
Our featured instrument this week was the tabla.
你可以在我们的网站上了解更多关于这种源自印度、拥有数百年历史的手鼓,并看到埃里克·希梅洛尼斯演奏它的照片。
You can learn more about this centuries old hand drum with Indian roots and see a photo of Eric Shimelonis playing it on our website.
再次提醒,网址是 wbur.org/circleround。
Again, that's wbur.org/circleround.
成年人们,如果您喜欢《Circle Round》节目,请在Apple播客或您使用的任何播客应用上为我们写一个五星评价。
Grown ups, if you enjoy what you hear on Circle Round, please write us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or whatever podcast app you use.
这有助于其他听众发现这个节目。
It helps other listeners find the show.
《Circle Round》是WBUR的制作节目,WBUR是波士顿的NPR新闻电台。
Circle Round is a production of WBUR, Boston's NPR news station.
我是丽贝卡·谢尔。
I'm Rebecca Scheer.
感谢您与我们一同收听《Circle Round》。
Thanks for circling around with us.
既然您已经听完了本集《Circle Round》,我们想知道,您最喜欢的《Circle Round》故事是哪一个?
Now that you've made it to the end of this Circle Round episode, we want to know, what's your favorite circle round story?
成千上万像您这样的粉丝已经告诉我们他们最喜爱的《Circle Round》故事。
Thousands of fans just like you have been telling us about the circle round stories they like best.
请听一听。
Take a listen.
也许他们最喜欢的故事也是你最喜欢的。
Maybe one of their favorites is one of yours too.
我叫露娜。
My name is Luna.
我住在瓦哈卡,我最喜欢的Circle Round故事是《一次善举》,我最喜欢的部分是狐狸把蛇重新放回石头下面的时候。
I live in Oaxaca, and my favorite circle round story is One Good Turn, and my favorite part is when Fox puts snake back under the rock.
我是玛丽莲。
I'm Marilyn.
我住在德克萨斯。
I am in Texas.
我最喜欢的Circle Round故事是《租马》。
My favorite Circle Ride story is the Horse for Hire.
我最喜欢的部分是他租马的时候。
My favorite part is when he rents the horse.
谢谢你,丽贝卡·谢尔。
Thank you, Rebecca Shield.
我叫梅芙。
My name is Maeve.
我住在加利福尼亚州的瓦卡维尔。
I live in Vacaville, California.
我最喜欢的故事是始终坚持。
My favorite story is to always stick.
我最喜欢的部分是保罗说‘算了吧’的时候。
My favorite part is when Paul says, Oh, forget it.
我叫莉亚。
My name is Leah.
我来自马萨诸塞州的阿奎纳。
I'm from Aquinnah, Massachusetts.
我最喜欢的故事是补丁外套。
My favorite circle around story is the patched up coat.
我最喜欢的部分是士兵把他的外套给了那个女人和男人,而自己得到了一件银色的外套。
My favorite part is when the soldier gives the woman and the man his coat as he gets a silver coat.
你好,我叫奥克兰。
Hi, my name is Oakland.
我来自内布拉斯加州的奥马哈。
I'm from Omaha, Nebraska.
我最喜欢的围圈故事是《愉快的巫师》。
My favorite circle around is the Pleasant Wizard.
我喜欢在哈德逊河谷受到尊敬时停车。
I like to park when I honor Hudson Valley.
你好,我叫克林特。
Hi, my name is Clint.
我最喜欢的故事是《牛与牛铃》。
My favorite story is Cowells and Cowbells.
我最喜欢的部分是当商人在井里发现一头牛时,他说:'那是头牛吗?'
My favorite part is when the merchant finds a cow in the well and he says, Is that a cow?
我叫乔。
My name is Joe.
我来自明尼苏达州的伊根。
I'm from Eagan, Minnesota.
我最喜欢的圆形画故事是三脚锅,因为我喜欢那个人说‘你可以一直跳啊跳啊跳,直到北极’的那一部分。
And my favorite Circular Draw story is the three legged pot because I like the part when the man says you can skip and skip and skip all you want to the North Pole.
然后锅真的一直跳到了北极,我喜欢这一部分,因为很有趣。
And then the pot actually does skip all the way to the North Pole, and I like that part because it's funny.
有人提到你错过的故事了吗?
Did someone mention a story you've missed?
别担心。
Not to worry.
成年人们,您可以在我们的网站 wbur.org/circleround 上找到我们所有的圆形画故事,以及通往圆形画俱乐部、图画书、涂色页等更多内容的链接。
Grown ups, you can find all of our circle around stories plus links to the circle around club, picture books, coloring pages, and oh so much more on our website, wbur.org/circleround.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。