本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
WBUR 播客,波士顿。
WBUR Podcasts, Boston.
想想你最近一次为别人做了一件好事的时候。
Think about the last time you did something kind for someone.
你当时感觉如何?
How did you feel?
挺好的。
Pretty good.
对吧?
Right?
好吧,今天故事的主角为别人做了一件善事时,他感受到的不只是开心。
Well, when the main character in today's story does a kind act for someone, he doesn't just feel good.
他感到自由。
He feels free.
我是丽贝卡·谢尔,欢迎收听《圆圈时光》,这里随时都有故事时间。
I'm Rebecca Scheer, and welcome to Circle Round, where story time happens all the time.
今天,我们的故事叫做《鞋匠的灵魂》。
Today, our story is called The Cobbler's Soul.
我们找到了这个民间故事的多个版本,来源包括南美洲的阿根廷和智利,欧洲的德国、爱尔兰、挪威、乌克兰和捷克共和国,以及美国的阿巴拉契亚地区。
We found versions of this folktale from a number of places, including the South American countries of Argentina and Chile, the European countries of Germany, Ireland, Norway, Ukraine, and The Czech Republic, and the Appalachian region of The United States.
许多杰出的人共同为我们带来了这个民间故事的版本,其中包括约翰·帕特里克·阿马多里。
Some really great people came together to bring you our version of this folktale, including John Patrick Amadori.
成年人可能知道约翰·帕特里克,他曾主演奈飞原创剧集《亲爱的白人》中的加布,以及《八卦女孩》《回头是岸》,最近则出演了备受赞誉的剧集《三个女人》。
Grown ups, you may know John Patrick from his starring role as Gabe in the original Netflix series Dear White People, as well as Gossip Girl, Hindsight, and most recently, the acclaimed drama series Three Women.
所以,大家围成一圈,一起来听《鞋匠的灵魂》。
So circle around everyone for the Cobbler's Soul.
鞋匠住在一座低矮的小屋里,他常常坐在小木凳上,缝制皮革、修补鞋底,做所有好鞋匠该做的事,让旧鞋子焕然一新。
The cobbler lived in a low slung little house where he would perch on his little wooden stool and stitch leather, repair soles, and do all the other things a good cobbler does to make old shoes look new again.
鞋匠和三个三岁的双胞胎孩子一起住在小屋里,他努力工作,只为让他们吃饱、穿暖、开心。
The cobbler shared the little house with his children, a bright eyed set of three year old triplets whom he worked hard to keep fed, dressed, and happy.
但有一年夏天,生意异常冷清,钱渐渐花光,鞋匠的忧虑也日益加深。
But one summer, when business was unusually slow, money began to dwindle, and the cobbler's worries began to grow.
哦,天哪。
Oh, dear.
我已经好几个月没有新订单了。
I haven't had a new order in months.
没有收入,我该怎么养活我的孩子们呢?
With no cash coming in, how will I take care of my children?
我必须做点什么来招揽生意。
I must do something to drum up business.
我必须这么做。
I must.
在鞋匠镇的边缘,高高的山丘上,有一座华丽的庄园。
At the edge of the cobbler's town, high on a hill, was a splendid mansion.
前面有庄严的柱子,后面有一个宽敞的花园。
With stately pillars out front and a spacious garden out back.
这座宏伟的庄园最近由一位被称为公爵的绅士建造。
The grand estate had recently been built by a gentleman known as the Duke.
有消息说,公爵是个收藏家。
Word in time had it that the Duke was a collector.
谣言四起,说他墙上挂满了无价的画作,走廊里摆满了珍贵的雕像,餐厅、卧室和会客室里堆满了精致的家具。
Rumors flew about the priceless paintings covering his many walls, the precious statues lining his many corridors, and the ornate furniture filling his many dining rooms, bedrooms, and parlors.
一天早上,鞋匠把三胞胎送到镇上的学校后,他的目光不由自主地飘向了公爵的豪宅,心中冒出一个主意。
One morning, after the cobbler dropped the triplets off at the town schoolhouse, his eyes drifted toward the duke's mansion, and he got an idea.
我从未见过这位公爵。
I've never met this duke before.
似乎镇上很少有人见过他。
Few townsfolk have, it seems.
但显然,他是镇上乃至整个地区最富有的人。
But clearly, he's the richest guy in town, if not the land.
我打赌他衣柜里有上百双鞋子。
I'll bet he has hundreds of shoes in his closet.
肯定有一些鞋子需要修补。
Surely, some of them are in need of mending.
我去拜访他一趟。
I'll go pay him a visit.
鞋匠匆匆赶回家,拿上了他的工具。
The cobbler hurried home and grabbed his tools.
然后他徒步上山,来到公爵的庄园。
Then he hiked up to the duke's mansion.
他既紧张又充满希望,按响了门铃。
Feeling nervous but hopeful, he rang the bell.
鞋匠本以为会有一位管家、侍从,或是公爵的其他众多仆人来开门。
The cobbler assumed he would be greeted by a butler or footman or any other of the duke's dozens of servants.
所以当门突然打开时,鞋匠的惊讶可想而知。
So you can imagine the cobbler's surprise when the door swung open.
只见一位身着黑色定制西装、系着黑色丝质领带的人站在门口,深色的眼睛在宽檐黑帽下闪闪发亮。
And there, dressed in a dark tailored suit and dark silk tie with dark eyes glittering under the broad brim of a dark hat.
您好。
Greetings.
就是公爵本人。
Was the duke himself.
很高兴见到你。
It's nice to see you.
每天都能有镇上的鞋匠来访,可不常见。
It's not every day I get a visit from the town cobbler.
鞋匠顿时僵住了。
The cobbler stiffened.
公爵是怎么知道他是谁的?
How did the duke know who he was?
公爵似乎看穿了他的心思。
The duke seemed to read his mind.
哦,我不是有意吓到你的,朋友。
Oh, I didn't mean to alarm you, my friend.
我恰好注意到你腰带上挂着的工具,还有塞在围裙口袋里的针线和鞋油。
I happened to notice the tools hanging from your belt and the needle thread and shoe polish stuffed in your apron pocket.
那些不就是补鞋匠的工具吗?
Are those not the instruments of a cobbler?
补鞋匠的脸放松下来,露出了微笑。
The cobbler's face relaxed into a smile.
哇。
Wow.
你可真够细心的啊?
Aren't you an observant fellow?
确实如此,先生。
Indeed, good sir.
我就是镇上的补鞋匠。
I am the town cobbler.
可惜最近生意一直很清淡。
Unfortunately, business has been slow lately.
我有三个年幼的孩子要照顾,也就是说,我有三张嘴等着吃饭。
I have three young children to take care of, which means I have three hungry mouths to feed.
所以我来问问您是否需要修鞋。
So I've come to see if you need any shoes fixed.
公爵挑了挑眉毛。
The duke arched an eyebrow.
听到您的困境,我深感遗憾,好心的鞋匠。
I am sorry to hear about your woes, good cobbler.
虽然我并没有需要修理的鞋子,但如果您愿意做个小小交易,我很乐意帮您一把。
And though I do not have any shoes that need fixing, I would be thrilled to help you out, provided you're up for making a little deal.
交易?
A deal?
鞋匠歪了歪头。
The cobbler cocked his head.
什么样的交易?
What kind of a deal?
我敢说,是个相当诱人的交易。
A rather attractive one, I must say.
如果你同意这个交易,我会确保在未来三年里,你的生意会变得前所未有的兴隆。
If you agree to this deal, I shall see to it that for the next three years, you will have the most bustling business ever.
顾客们会排着队来找你修鞋,恳求你帮他们修补。
Customers will be knocking down your door, begging you to mend their shoes.
你的孩子们会吃得饱饱的,而你的口袋也会变得更鼓。
Your children's bellies will be full, and your pockets will be even fuller.
鞋匠的眼睛睁大了。
The cobbler's eyes widened.
你你真的能做到吗?
You you can do that?
当然能,这还用说。
You bet I can.
但就像我说的,这是一笔交易。
But like I said, this is a deal.
所以,我只需要你答应一件小事作为回报。
So I would ask just one small thing in return.
那会是什么?
And what would that be?
嗯,我恰好是个收藏家。
Well, I happen to be a bit of a collector.
我收藏画作。
I collect paintings.
我收藏雕像。
I collect statues.
我收藏家具。
I collect furniture.
我也收藏灵魂。
I also collect souls.
鞋匠笑了。
The cobbler grinned.
你收集灵魂?
You collect souls?
作为一名鞋匠,我有很多鞋底可以给你。
As a cobbler, I have plenty of soles I can give you.
人们穿坏鞋底的速度很快,我这儿有一大堆存货。
The way people wear out the bottoms of their shoes, I've got a great big supply.
我可以给你旧鞋底、新鞋底、木制鞋底,
I could give you old soles, new soles, wooden soles,
皮革。
leathers.
你误会我了,朋友。
You misunderstand me, my friend.
我收集的不是鞋底。
I do not collect shoe soles.
我收集的是人的灵魂,我很乐意收下你的。
I collect human soles, and I'd be ever so pleased to collect yours.
鞋匠感到五脏六腑瞬间结冰,因为一切都突然变得无比清晰。
The cobbler felt his insides turn to ice, for all at once it became frightfully clear.
这位公爵实际上并不是真正的公爵。
The duke was not actually a duke.
相反,他正是
Instead, he was none other than
魔鬼。
The devil.
你就是魔鬼。
You're the devil.
你通过满足人们最疯狂的愿望来回应他们。
You answer people's wildest dreams by giving them exactly what they want.
但作为交换,你要求他们的灵魂。
But in exchange, you demand their souls.
而且他们必须永远跟随你。
And they have to come with you for all of eternity.
没错。
That's right.
我可以实现你当鞋匠的梦想。
And I could answer your dream cobbler.
接下来的三年可能是你有生以来最美好的时光。
The next three years could be the best years you've ever had.
你唯一要做的就是永远跟我走。
All you have to do afterwards is join me forever.
那么,你意下如何?
So what do you say?
你愿意同意我们这个小协议吗?
Will you agree to our little deal?
还是你希望你的孩子们饿得奄奄一息?
Or do you want your little children to waste away from hunger?
鞋匠犹豫了。
The cobbler hesitated.
如果他同意,他和三胞胎就能确保过上三年的舒适生活,直到他跟魔鬼走,而孩子们则被迫自谋生路。
If he agreed, then he and his triplets would be guaranteed three years of comfort until he went with the devil and the children were forced to fend for themselves.
但如果他不同意这笔交易,生意又没有起色,他和孩子们就会饿死。
But if he didn't agree to the deal and business didn't pick up, then he and his kids would starve.
鞋匠深深地、缓慢地吸了一口气。
The cobbler drew a long, slow breath.
然后他凝视着魔鬼那双深邃闪亮的眼睛,准备说出他一生中最重要的答案。
Then he stared into the devil's dark, glittering eyes and prepared to deliver the most important answer of his life.
鞋匠会与魔鬼达成协议吗?
Will the cobbler make a deal with the devil?
如果你是那个鞋匠,你会怎么做?
What would you do if you were the cobbler?
我们将在短暂的广告后揭晓接下来会发生什么。
We'll find out what happens after a quick break.
评论已经出炉,像您这样的超级粉丝都非常喜爱《圆圈俱乐部》——这是一个支持公共广播的绝佳机会,还能获得酷炫周边,包括无广告剧集和我亲自发送的生日祝福。
The reviews are in, and super fans like you are loving the Circle Round Club, an exciting opportunity to support public radio and get cool stuff, including ad free episodes and a personalized birthday message from me.
我喜欢《圆圈俱乐部》的地方在于,丽贝卡·谢尔会发送额外的消息,而且这也能支持这个节目。
What I like about the Circle Round Club is that Rebecca Scheer sends extra messages, and it supports the show.
而且没有广告。
And there are no ads.
成年人请支持公共广播,今天就前往 w b u r 点 org 斜杠 circle around club 注册吧。
Grown ups, support public radio and sign up today at w b u r dot org slash circle around club.
我是丽贝卡·谢尔。
I'm Rebecca Scheer.
欢迎回到《Circle Round》。
Welcome back to Circle Round.
今天,我们的故事叫做《鞋匠的灵魂》。
Today, our story is called The Cobbler's Soul.
在广告之前,一位朴实的鞋匠身无分文、希望渺茫,这时魔鬼向他提出了一笔交易。
Before the break, a humble cobbler was running out of money and hope when he was offered a deal by the devil.
在未来三年里,鞋匠将兴旺发达,但条件是,三年期满后,他必须把灵魂交给魔鬼。
For the next three years, the cobbler would prosper, provided that, once the three years were up, he gave the devil his soul.
鞋匠想象着自己年幼的三胞胎,他们脸颊凹陷、肚子饿得咕咕叫,他知道他必须怎么做。
The cobbler pictured his young triplets, their cheeks gaunt and hollow, their bellies groaning with hunger, and he knew what he must do.
好吧,魔鬼。
Alright, devil.
为了我的孩子们,我同意你的交易。
I agree to your deal for the sake of my kids.
哦,真够甜美的。
Oh, how very sweet.
这些孩子有你这样的父亲,真是幸运极了。
Those young'uns are awfully lucky to have a father like you.
至少在接下来的三年里是这样。
Well, for the next three years anyway.
听着耳边回荡的笑声,眼中噙满泪水,鞋匠转身离开,缓缓走下山坡,朝镇上走去。
With laughter ringing in his ears and tears brimming in his eyes, the cobbler turned away and trudged down the hill toward town.
但当他走近那间低矮的小屋时,突然停住了脚步。
But as he drew closer to his low slung little house, he stopped right in his tracks.
因为他发现,自家院子里竟排满了几十号镇上的居民,每个人都拿着需要修补的旧鞋子。
Because what should he spy lined up in his yard but dozens and dozens of townsfolk, all of them carrying old shoes in need of fixing?
顾客。
Customers.
看看这些顾客。
Look at all these customers.
我想魔鬼果然不玩虚的,我的三年繁荣期现在正式开始了。
I guess the devil doesn't mess around because my three years of prosperity are starting right now.
鞋匠一整天都在缝补、敲打和修理鞋子。
The gobbler spent the rest of the day stitching, hammering, and repairing shoes.
他第二天、第三天、第四天都做着同样的事。
He did the same thing the next day, and the next day, and the next.
正如魔鬼所承诺的那样,生意兴隆。
Just as the devil promised, business was booming.
鞋匠给孩子们买了好吃的食物和漂亮的衣服。
The cobbler bought his children good food to eat and nice clothing to wear.
他甚至在房子旁边种了一排苹果树,让孩子们可以荡着树枝,摘果子吃。
He even planted a stand of apple trees next to the house so the youngsters could swing from the branches and snack on the fruit.
一年过去了,接着是两年,最终,那个命运之日来临了——魔鬼前来收取鞋匠灵魂的日子。
One year went by, then two, and finally, the fateful day arrived, the day the devil would come to collect the cobbler's soul.
三年过去了,三胞胎现在已经六岁了。
Three years had passed, and the triplets were now six.
鞋匠送他们去上学,在告别前给了每个人一个特别紧的拥抱。
The cobbler dropped them off at school, giving each one an extra tight hug before saying goodbye.
然后他拖着脚步回到家,颓然坐在凳子上。
Then he shuffled home and slumped onto his stool.
他双肩下垂,头颅低垂,充满绝望。
His shoulders hunched, his head hung in despair.
三年了。
Three years.
自从我和魔鬼达成协议,已经过去三年了。
It's been three years since I made my deal with the devil.
虽然我的孩子们长大了一岁,但他们依然太小,无法在没有我的情况下独自生活。
And though my children are three years older, they're still too young to get by without me.
哦,要是能有什么办法摆脱这个契约就好了,某种方式,哦,不。
Oh, if only there were some way I could get out of this deal, some way that I could oh, no.
他来了。
He's here.
魔鬼来了。
The devil is here.
木匠心跳加速,皮肤发麻,透过窗户往外看。
The cobbler's heart hammered and his skin prickled as he peered through the window.
但令他惊讶和松了一口气的是,窗外的并不是魔鬼。
But to his surprise and relief, it was not the devil he spied outside.
而是一位老妇人,她瘦弱的身体颤抖着,白色的斗篷上沾满了泥点。
It was an old woman, her spindly frame trembling and her white cloak spattered with mud.
哦,早上好,夫人。
Oh, good morning, madam.
有什么我可以帮您的吗?
May I help you?
但愿如此。
I hope so.
我出去散步时,不知怎么迷路了。
I was out walking, and I somehow lost my way.
我冷极了,也饿坏了。
I'm awfully cold and hungry.
我可以进来吗?
May I please come in?
当然可以。
Of course.
来,坐到桌子旁。
Come sit at the table.
我去给你拿点吃的。
I'll fetch you something to eat.
鞋匠让这位妇人坐下。
The cobbler sat the woman down.
然后他准备了一盘面包和奶酪,还从院子里的树上摘了一些苹果。
Then he fixed a tray of bread and cheese along with some apples from the trees in his yard.
当他把托盘端到桌边时,女人皱起了眉头,显得很担忧。
When he carried the tray to the table, the woman's brow furrowed with concern.
天哪。
My goodness.
看看你的手。
Look at your hands.
它们在发抖。
They're trembling.
你还好吗?
Are you alright?
鞋匠皱起了眉头。
The cobbler frowned.
说实话,我状态不太好。
To be perfectly honest, I am not alright.
今天对我来说是重要的一天。
Today is a big day for me.
这是我一直以来都在逃避的一天。
One that I've been dreading for some time now.
三年前,我被迫做出一个不可能的选择,而且
Three years ago, I was forced to make an impossible choice and
鞋匠沉默了。
The cobbler fell silent.
就在那一刻,他注意到了那位女士的鞋子。
For all at once, he noticed the woman's shoes.
鞋面有污渍,侧面满是破洞,鞋底磨得如此之薄,几乎能看穿。
The tops were stained, the sides were riddled with holes, and the bottoms had worn so thin you could practically see through them.
夫人,恕我冒昧,您的鞋子似乎需要好好修补一下。
I beg your pardon, madam, but it looks like your shoes could use a good repair.
我正好是个鞋匠,很乐意帮您修好。
I happen to be a cobbler, and I'd be happy to fix them up.
这能让我暂时忘掉烦恼。
It would help get my mind off my troubles.
老妇人微笑了。
The old woman smiled.
正如你所看到的,
As you can tell,
我穿着这双鞋走了数千英里,还希望再穿它走数千英里。
I have walked in these shoes for thousands of miles, and I'd like to walk in them for thousands more.
如果你能帮它们修好,那就太好了。
It would be nice if you could fix them up.
那我非常乐意帮忙。
Then I'd be glad to.
我专修各种鞋类修补,帮你修好根本不是问题,
I specialize in all sorts of repairs, and it would be no problem for me to
对不起。
I'm sorry.
我本来想说的是,如果你能帮它们修一修就好了。
What I was going to say is it would be nice if you could fix them up.
要是我有钱就好了。
If only I had some money.
女人冲鞋匠露出一个羞涩的微笑。
The woman flashed the cobbler a sheepish grin.
他回以一个温暖的微笑。
He flashed her a warm one.
别担心这个。
Don't worry about it.
即使你真有钱,在这儿也派不上用场。
Even if you did have money, it would be no good here.
我坚持免费帮你修鞋。
I insist on fixing up your shoes free of charge.
但它们需要修的地方太多了。
But they need so much work.
我能看出来。
I can see that.
但我很乐意帮助新朋友。
But I'm happy to help a new friend.
现在你去休息一下吧?
Now why don't you get some rest?
去我的三胞胎房间小睡一会儿,我会把你的鞋子修得跟新的一样。
Have a nap in my triplets room, and I'll make your shoes as good as new.
谢谢你。
Thank you.
但在我睡着之前,我想送你点东西作为回报。
But before I nod off, I'd like to give you something for your troubles.
哦,修你的鞋子根本不是麻烦事。
Oh, fixing your shoes is no trouble at all.
这是我乐意做的事。
It's my pleasure.
女人摇了摇头。
The woman shook her head.
这并不是我的意思。
That's not what I mean.
我是想为你所经历的困难、挣扎和你正面对的恶魔做点什么。
I mean something for your troubles, your struggles, the demons you're facing.
提到恶魔时,鞋匠打了个寒颤。
At the mention of demons, the cobbler shivered.
我想送你一些可能对你有帮助的东西。
I'd like to give you something that might help.
实际上是三样东西。
Three things, actually.
鞋匠不相信任何东西能帮他摆脱与魔鬼的契约,但他仍然深受感动。
The cobbler doubted anything could help him break his deal with the devil, but he was touched nevertheless.
夫人,我感谢您的善意。
I appreciate your kindness, madam.
您想给我什么?
What is it you'd like to give me?
首先,从今天起,任何坐在你鞋匠凳子上的人,都必须等到你允许后才能起身。
Well, first, starting today, whoever sits down on your cobbler's stool will be unable to get up until you permit them to do so.
其次,任何望向你家窗户的人,都必须站在那里,直到你同意放他们走。
Second, whoever looks into the window of your house will have to stand there until you agree to let them go.
第三,任何摇动你院子里苹果树的人,都会被粘在那棵树上,直到你释放他们。
And third, whoever shakes an apple tree in your yard shall stick to that tree until you set them free.
鞋匠消化着女人的话,良久沉默。
There was a long silence as the cobbler took in the woman's words.
夫人,我必须说,这些礼物颇为奇特,但我依然心怀感激。
I must say, madam, these gifts are rather curious, but I'm grateful for them all.
谢谢您。
Thank you.
不用客气。
You're very welcome.
我希望它们能被好好利用
I hope they'll be put to good
使用。
use.
说完,女人赤着脚站起来,蹒跚着走向三胞胎的房间。
And with that, the woman rose to her bare feet and shuffled off to the triplets room.
她一关上门,鞋匠就开始干活了。
The moment she closed the door, the cobbler got to work.
他敲打、钉钉、缝补、抛光,不久之后,女人的鞋子就做好了,而魔鬼却仍未出现。
He hammered, he nailed, he stitched, he polished, and before long, the woman's shoes were finished and the devil had yet to arrive.
但当鞋匠去三胞胎房间送鞋时,什么?
But when the cobbler went to the triplets room to deliver the shoes What?
那位老妇人已经不见了。
The old woman was gone.
她去哪儿了?
Where did she go?
她是怎么出去的?
How did she get out?
她没穿鞋是怎么离开的?
And how could she leave without wearing any shoes?
哦,也许那是她。
Oh, perhaps that's her.
或者那是他。
Or perhaps it's him.
他朝窗外匆匆一瞥,便得到了答案。
A quick glance out the window and the cobbler had his answer.
站在门口的,是一位穿着黑色定制西装、系着黑色丝质领带、戴着宽边黑帽的恶魔。
Standing at the door in a dark tailored suit with a dark silk tie and dark broad brimmed hat was the devil.
哦,
Oh,
我该怎么办?
what should I do?
我不愿把我的灵魂交给他。
I don't want to give him my soul.
所以也许我可以和他讲道理。
So perhaps I can reason with him.
我让他进来。
I'll let him in.
我会请他坐下,然后向他解释怎么做。
I'll ask him to sit down, then I'll explain how.
等一下。
Wait a minute.
鞋匠僵住了。
The cobbler froze.
就在这时,他突然想起了老妇人送的第一个礼物。
For all at once, he remembered the old woman's first gift.
从今天开始,
Starting today,
任何坐在你鞋匠凳子上的人,除非得到你的允许,否则都无法起身。
whoever sits down on your cobbler's stool will be unable to get up until you permit them to do so.
那位女士说她的礼物能帮我对付我的恶魔。
The woman said her gifts would help me with my demons.
但如果我策略得当,我相信它们也能帮我对付我的魔鬼。
But if I play my cards right, I believe they could help me with my devil.
那就试试吧。
Here goes nothing.
鞋匠深吸了一口气。
The cobbler took a breath.
然后他走向门口,猛地打开门,魔鬼便轻快地走了进来。
Then he went to the door, threw it open, and the devil came breezing in.
您好,鞋匠。
Good day, cobbler.
我一直在数着年头,等这一刻到来。
I have been counting the years until this moment.
还有月、日、周、小时、分钟和秒。
The months, days, weeks, hours, minutes, and seconds too.
所以,既然现在终于到了我收取你灵魂的时刻,你准备好了吗?
So now that the time has finally come for me to collect your soul, are you ready?
实际上,我希望能先吃点东西。
Actually, I was hoping to have a bite to eat first.
不如你坐在我这张凳子上,等我吃完再休息一会儿?
How about you sit on my stool here and rest a moment till I'm done?
吃点东西。
A bite to eat.
好吧,我不会拒绝一个将死之人的最后一餐。
Well, I'm not about to deny a doomed man his final meal.
那你去吧。
So go ahead.
吃吧。
Eat up.
魔鬼走到凳子旁坐了下来。
The devil strode over to the stool and sat down.
鞋匠做了一个三明治,狼吞虎咽地吃掉了。
The cobbler fixed a sandwich and gobbled it up.
这下舒服了。
That hit the spot.
我们现在走吗?
Shall we go now?
当然。
Of course.
魔鬼试图从凳子上站起来,但当然,他站不起来。
The devil tried to rise from the stool, but of course He couldn't.
他用力拉。
He pulled.
他猛拽。
He yanked.
他左右翻滚着。
He rolled from side to side.
但他的屁股好像被胶水粘在了座位上。
But it was like his bottom had been glued to the seat.
鞋匠,快把我从这该死的凳子上弄下来。
Cobbler, get me off this blasted stool.
鞋匠耸了耸肩。
The cobbler shrugged.
我不知道。
I don't know.
这对我有什么好处?
What's in it for me?
对你有什么好处?
What's in it for you?
我会再给你三年。
I will I will give you three more years.
再三年?
Three more years?
听起来不错。
Sounds good to me.
鞋匠微笑着放魔鬼从凳子上下来。
The cobbler smiled and released the devil from the stool.
他一获得自由,就拔腿就跑,尽最快的速度逃走了。
The moment he was free, he took to his heels and stormed away as fast as he could.
而且他信守诺言,三年内再也没有回来。
And true to his word, he didn't come back for three years.
当魔鬼再次回来时,他再也不敢坐在鞋匠的凳子上了。
When the devil did return, he knew better than to sit on the cobbler's stool again.
事实上,他甚至没有踏入屋子一步。
In fact, he didn't even venture inside the house.
相反,他只是从窗户往里偷看。
Instead, he peeked in through the window.
鞋匠,我回来了。
Cobbler, I'm back.
现在时间终于到了,我要收走你的灵魂,你准备好了吗?
Now that the time has finally come for me to collect your soul, are you ready?
事实上,鞋匠确实准备好了,只是不是魔鬼所理解的那种准备。
As it happens, the cobbler was ready, just not in the way the devil meant.
实际上,我想把正在做的这双鞋的最后一针缝完。
Actually, I'd like to put the last stitch in this pair of shoes I'm working on.
你就在窗边等一下,我马上就出来。
Wait at the window, and I'll be out in a flash.
哦,你临走前还要把工作做完,真是高尚啊。
Oh, how noble of you to finish up your work before you disappear forever.
那你去吧。
So go ahead.
去做你该做的事吧。
Do what you need to do.
鞋匠缝完最后一针,便走到外面与魔鬼会合。
The gobbler finished his sewing, then joined the devil outside.
好的。
Okay.
我的活儿干完了。
I'm all done with my work.
我们现在走吗?
Shall we go now?
当然。
Of course.
魔鬼试图从窗边离开,但他做不到。
The devil tried to walk away from the window, but He couldn't.
你知道为什么吗?
And do you know why?
你猜对了,是因为那位老妇人的第二份礼物。
You guessed it, because of the old woman's second gift.
任何望进你家窗户的人,都必须站在那里,直到你同意放他们走。
Whoever looks into the window of your house will have to stand there until you agree to let them go.
魔鬼伸了个懒腰。
The devil stretched.
他用力拉扯。
He strained.
他拼命拽着。
He tugged.
但他的脚仿佛被钉在了地上。
But it was like his feet had been stuck to the earth.
盖博勒,
Gobbler,
把我从这该死的窗户旁带走,我就给你
get me away from this confounded window, and I'll give you
再三年。
three more years.
再三年?
Three more years?
很好。
Very well.
火鸡笑了,然后放开了魔鬼,让他离开了窗户。
The gobbler smiled, then released the devil from the window.
他一获得自由,就赶紧飞快地跑开了。
The moment he was free, he bustled away as fast as he could.
而且他信守诺言,三年内再也没有回来。
And true to his word, he didn't come back for three years.
当魔鬼再次回来时,他明智地不再往窗户里看。
When the devil did return, he knew better than to look in the window.
他甚至没有靠近那栋房子。
He didn't even come near the house.
相反,他站在院子里,苹果树下,大声喊道。
Instead, he stood in the yard beneath the apple trees and called out.
鞋匠,我回来了。
Cobbler, I'm back.
现在,时间终于到了,我要收走你的灵魂,你准备好了吗?
Now that the time has finally come for me to collect your soul, are you ready?
鞋匠又一次做好了准备。
Once again, the cobbler was ready.
准备好使用老妇人的第三个礼物了。
Ready to put the old woman's third gift to use.
你还记得那个礼物是什么吗?
And do you remember what that gift was?
任何摇动你院子里苹果树的人,都将被粘在那棵树上,直到你
Whoever shakes an apple tree in your yard shall stick to that tree until you
放他们走。
set them free.
鞋匠走到窗边,向魔鬼挥了挥手。
The cobbler crossed to the window and gave the devil a wave.
展开剩余字幕(还有 86 条)
实际上,在我们走之前,我想把工具收起来。
Actually, before we go, I'd like to put away my tools.
你等着的时候,去摇一摇那棵苹果树,摘个熟透的苹果怎么样?
While you're waiting, how about you grab one of the apple trees and shake down a nice ripe apple?
这些苹果看起来真好吃。
Those apples do look tasty.
那我就不客气了。
Don't mind if I do.
魔鬼双手抱住一棵树,用力摇了起来。
The devil clasped his hands around a tree and gave it a shake.
但正如你大概能猜到的,当他想停下来时,却停不下来了。
But as you can no doubt guess, when he tried to stop, he couldn't.
他不停地摇啊摇,直到树上所有的苹果都掉了下来。
He shook and he shook until every single apple had fallen from the tree.
连每一片叶子也都掉了下来。
Every leaf too.
当鞋匠走出来,看到树上光秃秃的,而魔鬼还在摇晃它时,他假装勃然大怒。
When the cobbler came outside and saw the tree stripped bare and the devil still shaking it, he pretended to fall into a rage.
你为什么要摇落我所有的苹果?
What are you doing shaking down all my apples?
马上停下来。
Stop it right now.
魔鬼咬紧了牙关。
The devil gritted his teeth.
但我停不下来。
But I can't.
我发誓,如果
I swear that if
我一旦能从这棵诅咒的苹果树上脱身,
I ever get loose from this cursed apple tree,
我绝不会再回到这里。
I shall never come back here again.
永远?
Never?
永远。
Never.
你保证吗?
You promise?
我保证。
I promise.
那我可以安度余生了吗?
And I can live the rest of my life in peace?
是的。
Yes.
你可以安度余生。
You can live the rest of your life in peace.
很好。
Very well.
鞋匠微笑着放开了树上的魔鬼。
The cobbler smiled then released the devil from the tree.
他一获得自由,就尽全力飞奔而去。
The moment he was free, he sprinted away as fast as he could.
而且他信守诺言,再也没有回来过。
And true to his word, he never came back.
从那天起,魔鬼再也不敢靠近鞋匠。
From that day on, the devil steered clear of the cobbler.
事实上,他太害怕自己再次被卡住,于是把豪宅、画作、雕像和家具全都卖了。
In fact, he was so nervous about getting stuck on something again, he sold his mansion, paintings, statues, and furniture included.
然后他系好鞋带,双脚踏上道路,朝着地平线走去,从此再也没出现在鞋匠的镇上。
Then he laced up his shoes, put his soles to the road, and made for the horizon, never to be seen in the cobbler's town again.
现在轮到你了。
Now it's your turn.
这周你能做一件什么善意的事?
What's a kind act you can do this week?
你能帮大人做一件家务吗?
Can you help a grown up with a chore?
帮邻居遛狗吗?
Help a neighbor walk a dog?
也许你可以给一个好朋友一个大大的拥抱。
Maybe you can give a good friend a great big hug.
想想你能做什么,然后去行动吧。
Think about what you can do, then make it happen.
之后,找一些纸,画一幅你正在做善举的图画。
After that, find some paper and draw a picture of you doing your kind act.
请大人帮你拍一张你和作品的照片,然后发送到 circlearound@wbur.org。
Ask a grown up to snap a photo of you and your artwork and email it to circlearound@wbur.org.
我们可能会在《狮子的咆哮》——Circle Round俱乐部的月度通讯中展示你的作品。
We may feature it in the lion's roar, the monthly newsletter of the circle round club.
想了解更多关于这个专为像你这样的超级粉丝设计的有趣会员机会,请访问我们的网站 wbur.org/circleround。
To learn more about this super fun membership opportunity for super fans like you, visit our website wbur.org/circleround.
本周的节目《鞋匠的灵魂》由我,丽贝卡·谢尔改编。
This week's episode, The Cobbler's Soul, was adapted by me, Rebecca Scheer.
本节目由迪恩·拉塞尔编辑。
It was edited by Dean Russell.
我们的原创音乐和音效由埃里克·西莫洛尼斯制作。
Our original music and sound design is by Eric Shimolonis.
我们的插画师是萨比娜·汉,她为每一期《Circle Round》故事都创作了黑白涂色页。
Our artist is Sabina Hahn, who's created a black and white coloring page for every Circle Round story.
要打印并上色,请让您的大人访问我们的网站 wbur.org/circleround,然后点击涂色页面。
To print them out and color them in, ask your grown ups to visit our website, wbur.org/circleround, and click on coloring pages.
特别感谢本周的演员詹姆斯·科尼丘克、道恩·乌苏拉和约翰·帕特里克·阿马多里——您的大人可能认得他,他曾主演奈飞原创剧集《亲爱的白人》中的加布角色,也出演过《八卦女孩》《回头是岸》以及备受赞誉的剧集《三妇》。
Special thanks to this week's actors, James Konichuk, Dawn Ursula, and John Patrick Amadori, whom you grown ups may recognize from his starring role as Gabe in the original Netflix series, Dear White People, as well as Gossip Girl, Hindsight, and the acclaimed drama series, Three Women.
本周的特色乐器是班多钮手风琴。
Our featured instrument this week was the Bandoneon.
您可以在我们的网站上了解更多关于这种起源于德国、后传入南美洲的挤压式乐器,并观看埃里克·西莫洛尼斯演奏它的照片。
You can learn more about this squeezebox instrument, which originated in Germany before migrating to South America, and see a photo of Eric Schimelonis playing one on our website.
再次提醒,网址是 wbur.org/circleround。
Again, that's wbur.org/circleround.
大人们,如果您喜欢《Circle Round》,请在您最喜欢的播客应用中给我们留下五颗星评价,并在 Instagram 和 Facebook 上关注我们。
Grown ups, if you enjoy circle round, please leave us a five star review on your favorite podcast app, and follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
我们的账号是 circle round podcast。
Our handle is at circle round podcast.
《Circle Round》是 WBUR 的制作节目,WBUR 是波士顿的 NPR 新闻电台。
Circle round is a production of WBUR, Boston's NPR news station.
我是丽贝卡·谢尔。
I'm Rebecca Scheer.
感谢您与我们一同收听《Circle Round》。
Thanks for circling round with us.
既然您已经听完了这一期《Circle Round》,我们想知道,您最喜欢的《Circle Round》故事是哪一个?
Now that you've made it to the end of this circle round episode, we want to know, what's your favorite circle round story?
像您这样的成千上万的粉丝已经告诉我们他们最喜欢哪些《Circle Round》故事。
Thousands of fans just like you have been telling us about the circle round stories they like best.
听一下。
Take a listen.
也许他们的最爱也是你的最爱。
Maybe one of their favorites is one of yours too.
我叫基科。
My name is Kiko.
我住在西班牙马德里,我最喜欢的故事是《不寻常的普通人》,因为我的教兄利奥在录制时就在观众席上。
I live in Madrid, Spain, and my favorite circle round story is the uncommon commoner because my god brother Leo was in the audience when you recorded it.
嗨。
Hi.
我叫艾米,住在加利福尼亚。
My name is Amy, and I live in California.
我最喜欢的故事是《漫长的圣诞线》。
And my favorite circle round story is the long Christmas Thread.
我喜欢白山部分像吱吱声一样的描写。
I like the part of the White Mountains land like a squeak.
我叫卡罗琳,住在马里兰州。
My name is Caroline, and I live in Maryland.
我最喜欢的循环故事是《蜥蜴的楼梯》。
My favorite Circle Lone story is Basilisk's Stair.
我最喜欢的部分是小男孩变成石头的那一刻。
And my favorite part is when the little boy turns to stone.
我叫梅雷迪思,来自马里兰州。
My name is Meredith, and I'm from Maryland.
我最喜欢的循环故事是《暴风雪巫师》。
And my favorite circle round story is the Blizzard Wizard.
我最喜欢的部分是暴风雪巫师说‘不,我在融化’的时候。
And my favorite part is when the Blizzard Wizard says, no, I'm melting.
我叫基斯,住在加利福尼亚州圣地亚哥。
My name is Kiss, and I live in San Diego, California.
我最喜欢的故事是《水晶星巴克》。
And my favorite story is the crystal Starbucks.
我最喜欢的部分是安ansi给天空女神带来一条蛇。
My favorite part is when Anansi brings sky goddess a snake.
嗨。
Hi.
我叫米娅,住在德克萨斯州的沃斯堡。
My name is Mia, and I live in Fort Worth, Texas.
我最喜欢的循环故事是那顶亮黄色的帽子。
And my favorite circle around story is the bright yellow hat.
我喜欢弗洛拉发现自己能和花朵对话的那一部分。
And I like the part where Flora finds out she can talk to the flowers.
我叫斯汀克,住在德克萨斯州。
My name is Stink, and I live in Texas.
我最喜欢的循环故事是狮子的胡须。
And my favorite circle around story is the lion's whisker.
我喜欢那个女孩在船上跪在河边的场景。
And I like the part when the girl in the boat dead knee at the river.
我叫艾登,住在俄勒冈州。
My name's Aidan, and I live in Oregon.
我最喜欢的循环故事是水晶盒子被摧毁。
And my favorite Circle N' On story is the crystal box destroys.
我最喜欢的部分是黄蜂被送到天空女神那里。
And my favorite part is when the hornet gets delivered to the sky goddess.
有人提到你错过的故事了吗?
Did someone mention a story you've missed?
别担心。
Not to worry.
大人们,您可以在我们的网站 wbur.org/circleround 上找到我们所有的循环故事,以及循环俱乐部、图画书、涂色页等更多内容。
Grown ups, you can find all of our circle round stories, plus links to the circle round club, picture books, coloring pages, and oh so much more on our website, wbur.org/circleround.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。