本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
现在,人工智能正处在风口浪尖。
Right now, AI is having a moment.
但这并不是人们第一次对机器能做什么做出宏大的预测。
And it's not the first time people have made grand predictions about what machines could do.
说像ChatGPT这样的东西具有智能,似乎显而易见,但它真的有吗?
It might seem obvious to say that something like ChatGPT is intelligent, but is it?
这就像在问,加州大学伯克利分校的图书馆比我更聪明吗?
It's like asking, is the University of California Berkeley Library smarter than I am?
它确实比我拥有更多的信息,但总觉得这个问题本身并不恰当。
Well, it definitely has more information in it than I do, but it just feels like that's not really the right question.
因此,我们更想弄清楚,究竟什么是智能。
So instead, we want to know what exactly is intelligence.
我是圣塔菲研究所的教授梅兰妮·米切尔,我研究认知与人工智能。
I'm Melanie Mitchell, professor at the Santa Fe Institute, and I study cognition and artificial intelligence.
我是圣塔菲研究所传播总监阿巴·埃利·福布。
And I'm Aba Eli Fobu, Director of Communications at the Santa Fe Institute.
在即将播出的《智能的本质》系列中,我们将与认知科学家、发展心理学家、动物认知研究者和人工智能专家对话,以理解我们自身的智能。
In this upcoming season of The Nature of Intelligence, we're speaking with cognitive scientists, developmental psychologists, animal cognition researchers, and AI experts to understand our own intelligence.
我们擅长合作与知识共享。
We are good at collaboration and sharing knowledge.
我认为,我们个人其实并不那么聪明。
I think that we're individually not that smart.
以及与其他物种和新技术的对比。
And how other species and new technologies compare.
长期以来,我们知道大象能够聚集在特定地点,比如在某一天的某个时间,从很远的地方来到这棵树下。
We've known for a long time that elephants are able to converge at a particular location, like show up, you know, far away at this tree on this day at this time.
但人们一直不清楚它们是如何做到的。
And people really didn't know how they were doing it.
有时候,当你与一个大型语言模型互动时,它可能会做出一些令人惊叹的事情。
Sometimes you're interacting with a large language model and it can do something really astonishing.
但下一刻,它却会对一个问题给出完全愚蠢的答案。
And then the next moment, they'll give an answer to a question which is utterly stupid.
我们将研究语言与思维之间的关系。
We'll investigate the relationship between language and thinking.
我看到这个杯子,就说‘杯子’。
I see this mug, and I say, mug.
这是怎么做到的?
How does that work?
对吧?
Right?
这是一个价值万亿美元的问题。
It's a trillion dollar question.
有一些人严重缺乏语言能力。
There are some individuals who are severely linguistically impaired.
也就是说,就我们所能测试的而言,他们的语言系统已经消失了。
Like, the language system is gone for, you know, as best as we can test it.
但他们认知上仍然正常。
And yet, they're okay cognitively.
语言可能是我们用于一切事物的基础,但看起来这并不正确。
It could have been that language was the substrate that we use for everything, but it seems that that's not right.
你可以在没有太多推理的情况下,用语言完成相当多的事情。
You can do quite a bit in language without having much reasoning.
我们将探讨人工智能的不足之处。
We'll consider where AI falls short.
现在有很多内容是不准确的、完全错误的,甚至很奇怪。
There's a lot of stuff out there that's not accurate, dead wrong, and odd.
比如在Claude中,我会问一些问题,比如:你怎么用希伯来语写你的名字?
Example, in Claude, I I would ask things like, so how would you write your name in Hebrew?
它用希伯来语回答了我。
And it answered me in Hebrew.
我说:你看,我根本不会用希伯来语写‘布’。
And I said, like, look, I can't write cloth in Hebrew.
但它却用希伯来语写出来了。
And it's writing it in Hebrew.
我们会问,机器是否有一天会像我们一样?
And we'll ask, will machines ever be like us?
在说我们以人类的方式达到人类水平的智能,与我们是否能不按人类方式却达成等效现象之间,是有区别的。
There's a difference between saying, we reach human levels of intelligence the way humans do it versus can we end up with the equivalent phenomenon without having to do it the way humans do it?
如果某物真的表现得完全像一个有意识的生物,还有更多可说的吗?
If something really does really behave exactly like a conscious being, is there anything more to say?
请于9月25日,在您收听播客的任何平台加入我们。
Join us September 25 wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。