本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你已经会说英语了,但你不确定自己听起来是否得体,也不确定在发言时是否能展现出高级管理者的风范。
You can already speak English, but you don't feel confident that you sound good and that you come across as a senior manager when you speak.
你能做些什么来提升自己的表达效果呢?
What can you do to sound better?
让我分享一些我常给客户的建议。
Let me share with you some guidance I always give my clients.
那我们就开始吧,好吗?
Let's crack on then, shall we?
大家好,欢迎回到《自信商务英语》。
Hello, and welcome back to Confident Business English.
我是安娜。
My name is Anna.
我是一名神经语言教练,如果你是一名高级管理者,想要提升用英语沟通的信心,这个播客就是为你准备的。
I'm a neurolanguage coach, and this is the podcast if you are a senior manager and you want to build your confidence communicating in English.
让我们直接进入主题吧。
So let's jump straight in.
正如我在开场白中所说,你已经会说英语了,但问题是,我知道有时你内心深处会觉得自己说得不够好。
As I said in the introduction, you can already speak English, but the thing is that I know sometimes you feel like in the back of your mind that you don't sound very good.
你听起来不够高管范儿,甚至可能觉得自己不够专业。
You don't sound executive or perhaps maybe even that you feel you don't sound professional.
当然,作为一位高级管理者,这些特质都是你希望在用母语交流时展现的,同样在用英语交流时也是如此。
And, of course, as a senior manager, all of these things are things that you want to transmit when you're speaking in your own language, but also when you're speaking in English as well.
这是完全可以做到的,但我想先分享一个个人故事,这与今天要谈的几点密切相关。
And it is possible to do, but I actually wanna start by sharing with you a personal story, and this links into the points I'm gonna talk about today.
两年前,我其实聘请了一位沟通教练。
Two years ago, I actually hired a communication coach.
部分原因是,我觉得——你看,
And this was partly because I felt like, look.
如果我要指导别人如何沟通,那我真的应该先审视自己的沟通方式。
If I'm giving guidance on how to communicate, I really should be looking at how I communicate.
沟通是我工作的一部分。
Communication is part of my job.
我是说,我每周都会做一期播客。
I mean, I do a podcast every single week.
所以我必须注意自己的表达方式。
So I have to be conscious of the way that I'm coming across.
我也想挑战自我、突破自我,我知道你也想做到这些。
I also wanted to push myself and challenge myself, and I know that you'd like to do those sorts of things too.
但这真是出乎意料。
But this was a shock.
我到了录音室。
I turn up at the studio.
那位教练名叫爱德华。
The coach's name is Edward.
人非常好,非常友善。
Really nice, very friendly.
到了。
Turn up.
那是个大型布置,灯光、摄像机,从各个角度进行录制。
It's like a big setup, lighting, cameras, recording from all angles.
他递给我一个麦克风,说,站在摄像机前面。
He gives me a microphone, and he says, stand in front of the camera.
我们要录下来。
We're gonna record it.
用一分钟时间向我推销你的播客。
Sell me your podcast in one minute.
当时真是天啊。
It was oh my goodness.
表现得糟糕透了。
It was so bad.
简直太差劲了。
It was awful.
因为我太紧张了,他完全让我措手不及。
Because I was so nervous, he completely put me on the spot.
但这确实是一个很好的学习过程。
But it was such a good learning process.
最糟糕的部分是之后他说,好吧。
The worst part that was after when he said, okay.
我们要回看录像了。
We're gonna watch the recording back.
那真是痛苦。
That was painful.
我不喜欢站在镜头前,我天生不擅长这个。
I do not enjoy being in front of the camera, and I'm not a natural.
你可能有些同事就是这样,他们非常擅长这类事情,比如公开演讲或面对镜头等等。
There are some people you probably have, like, colleagues like that who are just really good at doing that sort of thing, public speaking or being in front of a camera or whatever.
这不是我的强项,回看录像很痛苦。
It's not my strength, and it was painful to watch it back.
但正如我之前所说,我学到了很多。
But as I said before, I learned a lot.
他给我的反馈是让我停止说‘嗯’这样的填充词。
The pieces of feedback that he gave me were stop saying, which is a filler sound.
他说这会让你失去可信度,听起来很糟糕。
He's like, you lose credibility, and it just sounds bad.
别再这么说了。
Stop saying it.
每次我一说这个词,他就会插话打断我。
And every time I would say it, he would interject and interrupt me.
他还说我用了太多‘比如’,说话时重复性太高。
He also said that I said like too much, and I was too repetitive when I was speaking.
我的语调缺乏变化,太单调,而且还在用词上有个特别烦人的习惯。
I didn't have, like, enough range, too monotone, and also that I was doing this really annoying thing with the words.
所以他说,你的节奏不对。
So he said, you your cadence is off.
在某些时候,你听起来很奇怪。
Like, you sound weird at some points.
他的反馈非常直接。
He was really direct with his feedback.
一开始,我有点难以接受,因为他直接指出了问题所在。
And, initially, at the beginning, I found it a little bit hard because he was just cutting straight to the problem.
但总的来说,我很高兴他告诉我这些,因为这让我能够改进并做得更好。
But, overall, I'm really glad that he told me that because I was then able to improve and get better.
他的本意并不是要批评我。
And his message was not trying to criticize me.
他并不是想打击我的积极性。
He wasn't trying to demotivate me.
他想说的是,没错。
What he was saying was, yes.
你其实有很多不错的观点,但这里可以做得更好。
You've actually got some really good points here, but here's how you could make it even better.
我想在今天这期节目中传达这个信息,因为当我谈到这些事情时,你可能会发现自己也有这些习惯,但我并不是要用这个来惩罚你。
I wanna take that message through in the episode today because when I talk about some of these things, you might recognize some of these habits that you have, but I'm not trying to punish you with this.
我并不是想打击你,说你不应该这样做。
I'm not trying to demotivate you and say, you should never do this.
只是你已经会说英语了,这才是最重要的,这很棒。
It's just you can already speak English, and that's the most important thing, and that's great.
但这里有一些方法可以让你做得更好。
But here's how you could do it even better.
如果你想尝试去做,那很好。
And if you want to try and do it, great.
如果你不想,也没关系。
If you don't, no worries.
让我们来看看清单上的第一点,那就是保持掌控感。
Let's have a look at my first point on the list, and this is simply to be in control.
如果我在播客中说得非常快,每个观点都像这样快速抛出,然后‘好,1.2点’,接着又继续下一个观点,像这样不停顿。
If I spoke really fast like this in a podcast and every point that I said was, like, really fast and I was sort of saying it like this and then, okay, point 1.2, and then, you know, going on to the next point and going like this.
这会让人感到紧张不安。
It puts you on edge.
对吧?
Right?
这有点像让你感到紧张。
It it's kinda like it makes you feel tense.
如果你这样和别人说话,他们得努力跟上你,这会让人感到不安。
Well, if you speak like that with other people, they have to try and keep up with you, and it can make people on edge.
而且很难跟上你的思路。
And it's hard to follow you.
你说话越有控制力,效果就越好。
The more controlled you speak, the better.
我说有控制力,不是说慢,因为我知道如果我提到'慢',你心里会想'哦,我不想听起来慢吞吞的'。
And I say controlled, not slow, because I know that if I say slow in your head, you're thinking, oh, I don't wanna sound slow.
这是我一些客户的反应。
This is some of the reactions of some of my clients.
所以关键是要有控制力。
So it's to be in control.
第二,填充音或填充词。
Second, filler sounds or words.
但当我创办我的公开演讲俱乐部时,他们说是声音,不是词语。
But when I started my public speaking club, they were like, it's sounds, not words.
那好吧。
So fine.
我们就用这个说法。
We'll go with that.
所有这些美妙的声音。
All of those beautiful sounds.
这里关于填充音的目标不是完全避免它们。
The goal with filler sounds here is not to avoid them completely.
它们是演讲中自然的一部分。
They are a natural part of speech.
这里的关键是尽量避免填充音成为干扰。
The point here is to try to avoid filler sounds becoming a distraction.
如果你过度使用这些填充音,那可能是你需要改进的地方。
If you're using them excessively, then that might be something you want to work on.
但我们不会因为用了一两个填充词就惩罚自己。
But we're not gonna punish ourselves for using one or two filler words.
这完全正常。
It's totally natural.
这种情况经常发生。
It happens a lot.
如果你注意到自己这样做,或者收到过这样的反馈,或者有所察觉,那确实可能是你需要改进的地方。
If you notice yourself doing it or if you've had that feedback or you get a sense, that could definitely be something that you want to work on.
为什么?
Why?
因为这可能会有点恼人,而且就像我说的,会分散注意力。
Because it can be a little bit irritating and, like I said, a distraction.
举个例子,如果我在每个词后都说'那个'、'你知道',比如'我们需要做这个'。
For example, if I said after kind of every word, so it's like, and, you know, we need to do this.
所以我们可能需要提前考虑这个问题。
So we might need to think about this before.
那样会给人什么感觉?
How would that come across?
嗯,如果我们能稍微减少一些,效果会更好。
Well, it would come across better if we could reduce them a little bit.
你该怎么做呢?
How can you do that?
首先,首要之事。
First things first.
正如我之前所说,如果你说话更有条理,就能给自己更多时间来处理这些其他方面。
As I said before, if you speak in a more controlled way, you're giving yourself a little bit more time to work on these other elements.
你也需要意识到这一点。
You also just need to be aware of it.
可能你甚至没意识到自己在这样做。
Maybe you don't even know that you're doing it.
你该如何做到这一点呢?
How can you do that?
录下自己的声音。
Record yourself.
请教一位可信赖的同事。
Ask a trusted colleague.
然后针对问题区域进行改进。
Then target problem areas.
你无法一次性纠正所有发音问题。
You're not gonna be able to correct all further sounds at once.
这不是目标。
That's not the goal.
记住。
Remember.
留意问题区域。
Notice problem areas.
例如,有时是在人们转换话题时,或者可能在开始某些句子之后。
For example, sometimes it's when people transition into certain things or it could be after starting certain sentences.
一旦你识别出问题区域,关键是要试着强迫自己在那些时刻什么也不说。
And then once you've identified the problem areas, the point is to try to force yourself not to say anything in those moments.
通常是在我们思考某事的间隙会出现这种情况。
And it's normally in the gap when we're thinking about something.
所以填充词通常出现在我们正常思考的时候。
So filler sounds are when we're thinking normally.
所以你可以选择保持声音,也就是什么都不说,保持沉默。
So you can either hold the sound, so just don't say anything, hold the silence.
另一种人们提到的方法是你可以引入一个新词。
Or another alternative which people say is that you can actually introduce a new word.
我不知道。
I don't know.
根据我的经验,我觉得最好还是试着保持沉默。
I find in my experience that it's just better to try to hold the silence.
接下来,另一个提升你英语发音的方法是识别是否有你过度重复使用的词汇。
Next, another way that you can improve how you sound in English is to identify if there's any words that you repeat more than necessary.
让我举个例子。
Let me give you an example.
每周录制完播客后,我不得不痛苦地回听一遍。
Every week after I record the podcast, I unfortunately have to go back and listen to it.
这是个极其痛苦且不适的过程,我一点也不享受,但我从中发现了一些自己令人厌烦的说话习惯。
This is an extremely painful and uncomfortable exercise, which I do not enjoy, but what I learned from it is there are some really annoying things that I do.
比如,我会重复说'所以'这个词。
For example, I repeat saying so.
现在我还经常说'然后'。
Now I also say and.
我会拖长这个词的发音,这也是个典型问题。
My elongate it, which is a classic thing as well.
我一直在努力改正这个问题。
And I've tried to work on it.
我远非完美,但这些确实是我经常重复使用、对表达内容并无实质帮助的词汇,减少它们会让我的表达听起来更流畅。
I'm definitely not perfect, but these are some of the words that I repeat all the time that don't really add anything to my message, and it would sound better if I reduce them.
或许你在听播客时已经注意到了,可能会想‘天哪’——
And maybe you've actually noticed that when you've been listening to the podcast, you're like, oh my god.
她又来了。
Here she goes again.
还有一个词。
Another word.
如果你也有重复使用的词汇——我想到另一位客户总是说‘基本上’,‘基本上这样’,‘基本上那样’,几乎每四五句话就会出现一次——这可能就是你需要注意的地方。
If there are words that you repeat, and I'm thinking about another client as well who would always say basically, basically this, basically that, like it was nearly in every four or five sentences, that could be something that you might want to look at.
就算你一直说‘基本上’也不会出人命,但你可以尝试用其他词替代。
Nobody's gonna die if you keep saying basically, but you could use an alternative.
你可以试着戒掉这个口头禅。
You could try to stop using it.
比如对于‘基本上’,我建议可以交替使用‘实质上’来替代。
For example, with basically, I would recommend alternating with essentially.
这可以是个不错的方法。
That can be a nice way to do it.
或者你可能是那种总说'你知道,你知道,你知道'的人。
Or you might be one of these people that says, you know, you know, you know, you know.
而实际上,不。
And it's like, no.
我不知道。
I don't know.
或者也许我知道,但这并没有为你的信息增添实质内容。
Or maybe I do know, but it's not really adding anything to your message.
我们总结一下。
Let's wrap up.
如果你对英语表达缺乏自信,想要听起来更具高管风范,有些方面你可以关注并改进。
If you lack confidence with how you come across in English and you want to sound more executive, there are some things that you could have a look at that you might want to improve.
我要重复之前说过的话。
I'm gonna repeat from before.
这些内容并非理解你信息所必需的。
These things are not mandatory in understanding your message.
但如果它能让你感觉更自信,那我绝对认为有些方面值得你关注。
But if it helps you feel more confident, then I definitely think there are things that you could look at.
也许你会想,呃,我其实不在乎。
Maybe you're like, ugh, I don't really care.
随便吧。
Whatever.
那也行。
Then fine.
但如果这能让你在发言时更有安全感,那你可能需要考虑这些方面。
But if this would help you feel more secure when you're speaking, then you might wanna look at these things.
第一,你是否控制了自己的语速?
Number one, are you using a controlled pace?
其次,你在说话时是否使用了过多的填充词?
Secondly, are you using an excessive amount of filler words when you speak?
特别是在像演讲这样的活动中,你需要准备然后进行展示。
Especially in activities like presentations where you have to prepare and then deliver.
记住,我们还会回到这一点。
And remember, we're coming back to this point.
如果只是偶尔分散注意力,用几个填充词是完全正常的。
If it's a distraction, a couple of filler words here and there are absolutely normal.
我就经常这样。
I do them all the time.
但如果它分散注意力,可能会让你和你想要表达的内容被忽视。
But if it's distracting, that could be distracting from you and what you're trying to say.
作为高级经理,你有重要的事情要说,你希望这些内容能被传达出去,让人们倾听你。
And as a senior manager, you've got important things to say, and you wanna get those things across so that people listen to you.
第三点也是最后一点,你是否不必要地重复某些词语或短语?
Thirdly and finally, are there any words that you were repeating unnecessarily or phrases?
可能是你总是说的某些话。
Maybe something you always say.
在这里,我指的不是基础词汇或更标准的词汇。
And here, I'm not talking about basic vocabulary or or more standard vocabulary.
有没有一些话是你总是挂在嘴边的?
Are there things you're always saying all the time?
尤其是当它们实际上并没有为你的信息增添任何内容时。
And especially if they don't really add anything to your message.
比如,你知道的,基本上,所以。
Like, you know, basically, so.
这是我最喜欢的之一,但我就是爱用。
That's one of my favorite ones, but I love it.
所以很遗憾,你没法让我改掉这个习惯。
So you're not gonna get me to change it, unfortunately.
那么你能采取什么行动来开始解决这个问题呢?
So how can you take action towards starting to address this?
因为这才是关键所在。
Because this is what it's all about.
如果你想建立自信,就必须采取行动。
If you wanna build your confidence, you have to take action.
仅仅收听这一集节目是不够的,虽然那很好。
It's not just good to listen to the episode, and that's great.
这是个不错的开始。
That's a good first step.
录下自己的声音。
Record yourself.
这是个非常有效的练习。
This is such a powerful exercise.
比如,如果可以的话,用手机录下你在会议中的发言。
Record just you speaking in a meeting if you can on your phone, for example.
如果你有会议录音,回去仔细听听。
If you have the copy of a meeting, go back and listen to it.
这会让你大开眼界,而且可能是积极的发现。
It will open your eyes, and that could be positive.
可以吗?
K?
你可能会发现有些建设性的批评可以给自己。
You might feel that there are some constructive criticisms that you would give yourself.
或者,就像我的一位客户,她总是让我发笑,因为她说,实际上没我想象的那么糟,这是个不错的反应。
Or, like, one of my clients actually, she she always makes me laugh because she says, well, actually, it's not as bad as I thought it was, which is a nice reaction.
听自己的录音确实不太舒服。
It is not comfortable to listen to yourself.
这是我所有客户都会说的话。
This is something all my clients say.
我从没遇到过哪个客户说,哦,是啊。
I've not had one client say, oh, yeah.
喜欢看那段录像。
Love watching that recording.
太喜欢了。
Love it.
太好了。
Great.
真的很享受。
Really enjoyed it.
不。
No.
每个人都讨厌它,但这不是重点。
Everybody hates it, but that's not the point.
重点在于你可以让自己意识到一些事情,也许甚至包括我今天向你展示的一些方面,也可能不是。
The point is that you can make yourself aware of something, maybe even some of the things that I showed you today, or maybe not.
也许你认为自己在填充词方面有很大问题,但实际上并没有。
Maybe you think that you've got a big problem with filler words, but actually, you don't really.
因为记住,只有当它们分散注意力时才成问题。
Because remember, it's only if they're distracting.
如果你只是偶尔用一两个,那没关系。
It's not if you've just got one or two there.
你也可以询问一位值得信赖的同事,一个你真正重视其意见的人,并且你知道他们会给你中立而诚实的反馈,他们的意图是帮助你。
You could also as well ask a trusted colleague, somebody whose opinion you really value, and you know that they're gonna give you neutral and honest feedback, and their intention is to help you.
也许是导师或你的上司,如果你们关系良好,也可以是同级别的同事。
Maybe a mentor or your boss, maybe if you have a good relationship with them, a peer, for example.
主动联系他们,请他们对你说话方式进行评价,你可以具体说明以获取你想要的反馈。
Reach out and ask them for some reflections on how you speak, and you can be specific to try and get the feedback you want.
我是否使用了某些特定的填充词?
Do I use any particular filler sounds?
你觉得我有时说话太快吗?
Do you feel I speak too fast sometimes?
有没有哪些我重复使用的词语有时会让人分心?
Are there any words that I repeat that sometimes are distracting?
你可以向他们提出这些具体问题。
You can ask them those specific questions.
好的。
Alright.
我们今天的内容就到这里。
We're gonna leave it there for today.
希望你喜欢这一期节目。
I hope that you enjoyed that episode.
这次有点不同,没有特别聚焦于英语的技术层面,更多是关于表达方式。
Something a little bit different, not necessarily focusing on the technical English part, but more about the delivery.
但对于一个高阶英语使用者来说,这两者很难完全分开。
But as somebody who's a more advanced speaker, it's very hard to extract the two.
它们是相辅相成的,英语的技术层面和表达方式。
They come together, the technical English part and the delivery.
它们是一体的,所以如果你想提升,必须同时关注这两个方面。
They are one, so we have to look at both of them together if you want to improve.
如果你从节目中收获很多并觉得它们很有价值,一定要订阅我的免费通讯,我每周五都会发送。
If you really get a lot from the episodes and you find them very valuable, then definitely sign up to my free newsletter, which I sent every single Friday.
全球数千名专业人士每周都会收到这份通讯,他们非常喜欢它作为播客的补充。
Thousands of professionals around the world get this into their inbox every week, and they really like it as a compliment to the podcast.
我在那里额外添加了一些这里没有包含的小贴士。
And I put extra tips on there that I don't include on here.
如果你想注册,请点击描述框中的链接。
If you wanna sign up, go to the link in the description box.
再次感谢你本周抽空参加《自信商务英语》的培训,我们下周同一时间、同一地点再见。
Thanks again as always for squeezing in your training on Confident Business English this week, and I will see you same time, same place next week.
再见。
Bye bye.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。