本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
安息日平安。
Shabbat Shalom.
安息日平安。
Shabbat Shalom.
这个星期五,密西西比州杰克逊市的贝特以色列会堂的安息日仪式像往常一样开始了。
This Friday, Beth Israel congregation's Shabbat service in Jackson, Mississippi started like most others.
但那个晚上,会众并没有在犹太会堂里。
But that night, the congregation was not in a synagogue.
他们在一个附近的教堂聚会,该教堂为这次活动提供了礼拜空间。
They met in a nearby church that had offered its worship space for the occasion.
在上个安息日你们心爱的会堂遭遇纵火袭击后,我确信你们仍因这场灾难带来的伤害而深受震动——不仅对你们的建筑,更对你们的安全感造成了打击。
After the trauma of last Shabbat's arson attack on your beloved congregational home, I'm sure you were still shaken by the harm it has caused not only to your building but to your sense of well-being.
就在上一周的仪式结束后,贝特以色列的犹太会堂遭到袭击。
Just after the previous week's service, Beth Israel's synagogue was attacked.
据调查人员称,一名纵火者闯入建筑并点燃了大火,摧毁了这座历史悠久的犹太会堂的许多部分。
According to investigators, an arsonist broke into the building and set a massive fire that destroyed many parts of the historic synagogue.
图书馆遭受了严重的火灾损坏。
The library had sustained extensive fire damage.
当你走向圣所时,火灾的破坏程度较轻,但整个建筑内都有烟熏痕迹。
And as you go back toward the sanctuary, the fire damage is not as great, but there is smoke damage throughout the entire building.
因此,贝特以色列会众在很长一段时间内都无法使用这座建筑。
Therefore, the Beth Israel congregation would not be able to utilize this building for an extended period of time.
这是杰克逊消防局调查主管查尔斯·费尔顿。
That's Charles Felton, chief of investigations at the Jackson Fire Department.
嫌疑人后来被执法部门抓获,并由大陪审团提起公诉。
The suspect was later caught by law enforcement and indicted by a grand jury.
他向联邦调查局承认,他放火是因为这座建筑与犹太教有关。
He told the FBI that he set fire to the building because of its Jewish ties.
贝特以色列是杰克逊唯一的犹太会堂,这也不是该会众第一次遭到袭击。
Beth Israel is the only synagogue in Jackson, and this is not the first time the congregation has been attacked.
上世纪六十年代末,该会堂和拉比的住所曾被三K党炸毁,作为对会众支持民权运动的报复。
In the late nineteen sixties, the synagogue and the rabbi's home were bombed by the KKK in retaliation for the congregation's work on behalf of civil rights.
但在周五和周六,贝特以色列会众继续坚持。
But on Friday and Saturday, the Beth Israel congregation pressed on.
这次袭击充满仇恨,但安息日充满爱。
The attack was filled with hate, but the Shabbat is filled with love.
金博士告诉我们,黑暗无法驱逐黑暗,只有光明才能做到。
Doctor King taught us that darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that.
仇恨无法驱逐仇恨,只有爱才能做到。
Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
所以,让我们共同驱散黑暗。
So together, let's banish the darkness.
安息日平安。
Shabbat Shalom.
安息日平安。
Shabbat Shalom.
请想一想。
Consider this.
强调所有人,无论种族或宗教,都应具有人性的宗教语言,是民权运动的基础。
Religious language emphasizing an appeal to the humanity of all people, whatever their race or religion, is foundational to the civil rights movement.
但在暴力袭击之后,宗教社群如何继续秉持这种精神前进?
But how do people in religious communities move forward in that spirit after a violent attack?
来自NPR,我是莎拉·麦卡蒙德。
From NPR, I'm Sarah McCammond.
认知障碍在刑事被告中十分常见。
Cognitive disorders are common among criminal defendants.
他们中的许多人连基本的解释都难以理解,甚至都不是问他们是否做了这件事。
Many of them would struggle with a basic explanation, and it wouldn't even be, did they do it or not?
只是问:那天你在哪里?
It would just be, where were you that day?
了解一项在刑事司法系统中应对认知障碍者需求的开创性努力。
Hear about one pioneering effort to address the needs of those with cognitive disabilities in the criminal justice system.
来自《Up First》播客的周日故事,立即在NPR应用中收听。
The Sunday story from the Up First podcast, listen now on the NPR app.
NPR的播客《特朗普任期》为您提供关于特朗普政府重大新闻的当日更新。
NPR's podcast Trump's terms is your source for same day updates on big news about the Trump administration.
每集简短专注,一次只讲一个话题,大约五分钟。
Short, focused episodes, one topic at a time, about five minutes or so.
我们整合NPR所有报道内容,确保您始终获取最重要、最紧急的新闻。
We carry out reporting from across all of NPR's coverage so you are always getting the biggest, most urgent stories.
请在NPR应用或您收听播客的任何平台收听《特朗普任期》。
Listen to Trump's terms on the NPR app or wherever you get your podcasts.
这是来自NPR新闻的《深思》。
It's Consider This from NPR News.
疗愈终将到来。
There is healing that comes.
那位在杰克逊市犹太教堂纵火案后主持首次礼拜的拉比,周五晚上对聚集的人群这样说道。
That's what the rabbi leading the first services since the arson attack at Beth Israel Synagogue told those gathered in Jackson, Mississippi on Friday night.
这是这座犹太教堂第二次遭到袭击,第一次发生在民权运动高潮时期。
It was the second time the synagogue has been attacked, the first during the height of the civil rights movement.
拉切尔·迈尔斯是会众宗教学校的负责人,她一直致力于寻找合适的言辞,来回答学生们关于社区犹太人生活如何在会堂被大火摧毁后继续下去的问题。
Rachel Myers, a leader of the congregation's religious school, has focused on finding the words to answer her students' questions about how Jewish life in the community will continue after their place of worship was devastated by the fire.
我们邀请了拉切尔·迈尔斯,和我们谈谈她、孩子们以及整个会众目前的情况。
We invited Rachel Myers to talk with us about how she, the children, and the congregation are doing.
首先,我问了她关于这个周末礼拜所获得的感悟。
First, I asked her about the messages she took from the weekend services.
你知道吗,我们的精神领袖本·拉塞尔出色地奠定了整个氛围。
You know, our spiritual leader, Ben Russell, did a fantastic job of really setting the tone.
他不断引导我们保持喜悦和坚韧。
You know, he he was prompting us to be joyous and resilient.
我总是第一个忍不住欢呼的人。
I'm always the first one to kind of give a woo hoo.
我觉得,如果真有该庆祝的时刻,那就该好好庆祝,而那晚真的就是这样的感觉。
Like, I just feel like, you know, if there's a time to celebrate, there's a time to celebrate, and and it truly did feel like that.
我注意到你提到,即便经历了这一切,这场礼拜依然充满喜悦。
I was struck by the fact that you said it was a joyful service even after everything.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
而且我觉得这就是犹太传统。
And and and that just I think that's a Jewish tradition.
我认为犹太传统中确实有共同寻找喜悦的需求。
I think there's there is such a Jewish tradition to need to find joy together.
你知道,这些祷告旨在鼓舞人心。
You know, the the prayers are meant to be uplifting.
它们旨在将我们凝聚在一起。
They're meant to, you know, bring us together.
今天早上,我在第一个祷告时哽咽了。
This morning, I I I did get choked up at the very first prayer.
它叫马塔武。
It's it's called Matavu.
你一进入圣所时就应该说这句话,以表达对共同身处神圣空间的感恩。
You're supposed to say it right when you enter a sanctuary to kind of be grateful to be in in a in a sacred space together.
我们会继续唱这首歌。
And we'll we'll continue to sing that same song.
我们会继续下去。
We'll continue.
第二天我见到主日学的孩子们时,我特意给他们看了发生在建筑内部的照片,让他们看到我们遭遇了什么。
When I met with the Sunday school kids the very next day, I was very intent to show them photos of what happened inside the building so that they could see what was done to us.
然后我们立刻开始畅想下一步该做什么,孩子们也提出了很多关于未来新空间的好点子。
And then we immediately started dreaming of what we were gonna do next, and and they had some great ideas for things that they want in in our next space.
我教他们,犹太人是坚韧的,我们不会因恐惧而退缩,我们会继续前行。
You know, I was teaching them that Jewish people are resilient, and we do not cower in fear, and and and we continue.
我们会重建。
We rebuild.
我们会更强大地团结在一起。
We'll be stronger together.
和孩子们的那些对话是怎样的?
What were those conversations with the kids like?
他们中有些人问为什么。
Some of them asked why.
为什么有人要这样对我们?
Why would someone do this to us?
你知道,我不得不反复说,现在还不是试图回答这个问题的时候。
And, you know, I had to repeat that it it wasn't really time for us to try to answer that yet.
你知道,我们会更多地了解那个做这件事的人以及原因,但重要的是我们在一起。
You know, we'll we'll learn more about the person who did this and why, but what was important is that we were together.
尽管我们的神圣空间遭到袭击并被毁坏,但我们仍可以共同创造神圣的空间。
And and even though our sacred space was attacked and destroyed, we we can make sacred spaces together.
当我们在一起时,我们就能做犹太人。
And and when we're together, like, we can be Jewish.
是的
And
我忍不住想到了1967年。
I couldn't help but think about 1967.
当时这栋建筑曾被炸过。
This this building had been bombed then.
于是我问他们,你知道吗,爆炸之后他们做了什么?
And I asked them, like, you know, what did they they do after after the bombing?
他们知道。
And they knew.
犹太会众一直坚持了下来。
The Jewish congregation had kept going.
人们努力重建了它。
People worked to make it.
所以我问他们,你知道我们现在该做什么吗?
And so I asked them, you know, what should we do now?
他们真是太善良了。
And they were so sweet.
他们只是说,要比以往任何时候都更犹太。
They just said, be more Jewish than ever.
他们这话是什么意思?
What do they mean by that?
这具体指的是什么?
What does that look like?
这意味着我们要把学习希伯来语当作一种抵抗行为。
It means we we do Hebrew as an act of resistance.
你知道的。
You know?
作为一个年轻人,学习一门新语言是非常困难的。
Being a young person and trying to learn a new language is is very difficult.
你可以想象,孩子们肯定会抱怨这些功课。
Than, you know, you can imagine, like, kids, they're gonna complain about doing the work.
但现在,这成了一种抵抗行为。
But now it's an act of resistance.
现在,我们学习自己的传统、学习这种语言、公开实践犹太教,这是一种象征,表明我们不会因恐惧而退缩,我们是一个坚强的民族,犹太教对我们而言至关重要,就像它对前辈世代一样重要。
Now us learning our traditions, us learning this language, us practicing Judaism out loud is is a sign and is a symbol that we do not cower in fear, that we are a strong people, that Judaism is important to us just the same way it was important to the generations before us.
你提到了上世纪六十年代的袭击事件。
You mentioned the attack in the nineteen sixties.
据我了解,贝特以色列会堂是杰克逊市唯一的犹太会堂。
Beth Israel, as I understand it, is the only synagogue in Jackson.
它与民权运动有着悠久的历史渊源。
It has a long history with the civil rights movement.
上世纪六十年代的那次袭击是由三K党实施的,其中一个原因就是当时的拉比支持民权运动。
That attack in the nineteen sixties, was carried out by the Ku Klux Klan, and one of the reasons was the rabbi at the time, was supporting the civil rights movement.
在这样一个时刻,你如何思考这段历史遗产?
How do you think about that legacy in a moment like this?
我不由得设身处地为他们着想。
I couldn't help but put myself in in their shoes.
你知道吗?当时会众是怎么做的?
You know, what did the congregation do then?
当时的领导者们在追求什么?
What were the leaders working towards?
他们是否在那个充满暴力与艰难的时刻,选择与民权运动站在一起?
Whether or not that they were in the spot to to align themselves with the civil rights movement at a time that, you know, that was quite violent and difficult.
当我把自己代入现在的会众时,我必须与那些充满暴力和困难的事情站在一起。
Myself putting in the congregation now, I have to align myself with things that are violent and difficult.
这个选择并没有交到我们、交到我手中。
That choice wasn't wasn't given to us, to me.
我带领孩子们时也是秉持着同样的信念。
And that's what I'm leading with the kids as well.
作为深南部的犹太社群,我们有责任成为犹太教的教育者,包容、热情、公开地表达我们的犹太身份,让人们对我们的理解多一些爱与欣赏,少一些我们曾见过的仇恨。
You know, it is it is our responsibility as as this Jewish community in the Deep South to be educators about Judaism, to be inclusive, to be welcoming, to be loud about our Judaism in a way that people understand us, and there can be more, love and appreciation than than the hatred that we've seen.
你们有没有找回一些物品?
Were there some items you were able to recover?
建筑里的许多物品都可以被抢救和清理,但那个图书馆空间里的大部分物品已经不复存在了。
A lot of the items in the building will be able to be recovered, and cleaned, but the majority of what was in that that library space is is no longer.
我们恢复的文物将讲述一个 congregation 曾两次遭受攻击,却比以往更强大、依然屹立不倒的故事。
The artifacts that we recover will tell a story of a congregation that has been attacked twice but is stronger than ever and continues to remain.
这些卷轴各自都有自己的历史,对吧?
Those scrolls have their own history, don't they?
大厅里有一个放在玻璃柜中的卷轴,那是大屠杀 Torah。
There was one in the lobby in behind a glass case, which was the Holocaust Torah.
几十年前,我们会众中有一些大屠杀幸存者,他们努力从布拉格获取了一部在大屠杀期间受损的 Torah,并将其陈列在会众中,作为‘永不重演’的警示。
So decades ago, we have Holocaust survivors here in the congregation, and they had worked to get a Torah that was from Prague, you know, from that was damaged during the Holocaust, and it was on display in our congregation as a reminder of never again.
那个卷轴也被成功救出了吗?
And that one was able to be salvaged?
那个卷轴也被成功救出了。
And that one was able to be salvaged.
是的。
Yes.
无论种族或宗教,尊重所有人的人性,长期以来一直是民权运动的一部分。
You know, the idea of the humanity of all people, whatever their race or religion, has been a part of the movement for civil rights for a long time.
当你思考并与孩子们谈论如何前行时,犹太传统中有什么想法浮现在你脑海中吗?
Is there anything that comes to mind from the Jewish tradition as you think about and as you talk to the kids about how to move forward?
最让我反复动容、让我流泪的,就是音乐。
The one thing that keeps getting me keeps, you know, making me weep is is music.
我最近在听一些我很久没听过的犹太歌曲,其中一首叫《Kehilah Kedosha》,意思是神圣的社群。
And I'm playing some of these Jewish songs that I really haven't listened to in a long time, and and one of them is this song called Kehilah Kedosha, which means holy community.
我们每个人都必须付出努力。
And how each of us really must work.
这是神圣的工作,但我们必须努力维护犹太会堂,维系犹太生活。
We it's holy work, but we have to work to maintain a Jewish congregation, to maintain Jewish life.
我们必须付出努力,让这个世界变得更好。
We have to put in the work to make this world a better place.
无论这指的是我们的犹太社群,还是杰克逊整个信仰社群,乃至整个世界,责任都在我们身上。
And whether that's, you know, our Jewish community or it's the entire faith community of Jackson or it's the world, like, it is up to us.
责任就在我们身上。
It is up to us.
我比以往任何时候都更感受到这一点。
And I feel that more than ever.
这周我确实有这种感觉。
I really do this week.
拉切尔·迈尔斯是密西西比州杰克逊市贝特以色列会堂宗教学校的负责人。
Rachel Myers is a leader of the religious school at Beth Israel Congregation in Jackson, Mississippi.
非常感谢你。
Thank you so much.
谢谢你,莎拉。
Thank you, Sarah.
本集由亨利·拉森和艾弗里·基特利制作,密西西比公共广播的沙米拉·穆罕默德提供了额外报道。
This episode was produced by Henry Larson and Avery Keatley with additional reporting from Shamira Mohammad of Mississippi Public Broadcasting.
本集由莎拉·罗宾斯剪辑。
It was edited by Sarah Robbins.
我们的执行制片人是萨米·叶尼根。
Our executive producer is Sammy Yenigan.
这是来自NPR的节目。
It's consider this from NPR.
我是莎拉·麦卡蒙德。
I'm Sarah McCammond.
想在没有广告中断的情况下收听这个播客吗?
Wanna hear this podcast without sponsor breaks?
亚马逊Prime会员可以通过亚马逊音乐无广告收听《Consider This》,或者您也可以支持NPR的重要新闻报道,通过+.npr.org获取《Consider This Plus》。
Amazon Prime members can listen to consider this sponsor free through Amazon Music, or you can also support NPR's vital journalism and get consider this plus at +.npr.org.
网址是+.npr.org。
That's +.npr.org.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。