本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
欢迎来到VDOT O2,一个对话节奏的播客。
Welcome to VDOT O2, a conversation pace.
这是我们第一期节目。
This is our first episode.
我们非常兴奋地推出这个新的播客。
We're excited to launch this new podcast.
我叫布莱恩·罗塞蒂。
My name is Brian Rosetti.
我是VDOT O2的创始人,这是一个面向所有水平跑者的训练平台。
I'm the founder of VDOT O2, coaching platform for runners of all levels.
在这个播客中,我们将为您带来那些在跑步运动中留下印记的运动员和教练背后的故事,探讨促成他们踏上这段旅程的背景、时机与境遇,发现他们成功的秘诀或激励他们的关键因素,深入了解这些杰出人物的内心世界。
In this podcast, we're gonna bring you the stories behind athletes and coaches who've made a mark in the sport of running, cover the circumstances, timing, and situations that led them on this journey, discover the keys to their success or inspire them along the way, gain insights into the minds of these exceptional individuals.
今天,我们首先邀请的是我们应用背后的那个人,传奇人物,丹尼尔斯博士。
Today, we're leading off with the man behind our app, the legend, Dr.
杰克·丹尼尔斯。
Jack Daniels.
杰克是VDOT O2的合作伙伴。
Jack is a partner in VDOT O2.
他是我们应用背后的发明家和科学家。
He's the inventor scientist behind our app.
正如我所说,这个公式是基于VDOT配速和等效表现的。
As I said, the formula is power the VDOT paces and equivalent performances.
你们中的许多人已经熟悉杰克,了解他作为奥运选手和运动科学家的背景。
Many of you already know Jack and his background as an Olympian, an exercise scientist.
过去十二年里,我们有幸在线上教练领域与他合作,如今在VDOT O2继续合作。
We've been fortunate enough to work with him the past twelve years in the online coaching space and now at VDOT O2.
在本集中,我联系了杰克,想知道他在这段动荡时期过得怎么样。
In this episode, I check-in with Jack to see how he's holding up during this tumultuous time.
他下个月就满87岁了。
He's turning 87 next month.
我们聊了聊他的日常安排、在纽约州北部铲雪、体育教育,以及他为何成为跑步教练。
We talk about his daily routine, shoveling snow in Upstate New York, physical education, why he became a running coach.
和往常一样,与杰克的对话总能带来一些关于赛前准备的绝佳建议,无论是心理上的准备、正确的热身方式,还是如何在比赛中合理配速。
As always with Jack, the conversation leads to some great tips on preparing, whether it's from mentally for races, warming up properly, how to pace well in races.
在本播客节目中,我们将持续与杰克保持联系,深入探讨他新近出版的自传,让他亲自讲述自己的故事。
Over the course of the podcast, in this show, we'll be checking in with Jack, getting into his recently released autobiography and really letting him tell his story.
他是一座故事与智慧的宝库,我们希望能尽可能多地与大家分享这些内容。
He's a treasure trove of stories and wisdom and we wanna share as much of that as possible with you guys.
以下是《对话配速》与博士的首期节目。
Here's the first ever episode of Conversation Pace with Doctor.
杰克·丹尼尔斯。
Jack Daniels.
希望你们喜欢。
I hope you enjoy.
嗨,杰克。
Hey Jack.
是的。
Yeah.
你到了。
You made it.
我到了吗?
Did I make it?
是的,你上线了。
Yeah, you're on.
好,听起来不错。
Good, sounds good.
我们
We
做到了。
did it.
是的,我永远记不得是怎么做到的,但我确实做到了。
Yeah, I'll never remember how but I did it.
最近怎么样?
How's it going?
你现在在你家楼上,对吧?
You're upstairs at your house now, right?
玉米?
Corn?
是的,没错。
Yeah, that's right.
我很好,除了在外面铲雪的时候。
How are you Except when I'm outside shoveling the snow.
你们那边下了多少雪?
How much snow have you guys been getting?
昨晚下了一场又重又湿的雪。
We had a heavy wet snow last night.
我花了两个小时才铲完我们家的车道。
Took me two hours to shovel our driveway.
哦,天哪。
Oh, no.
有多少英寸?
How many inches?
不多,只有几英寸,但雪很湿,所以特别重。
Not much, only a couple, but so wet that it was really heavy.
今年好像没下多少雪,对吧?
Has that been it doesn't sound like you got too much this year, right?
跟去年比呢?
Compared to last?
没有,我们没下多少雪。
No, we didn't get a lot of snow.
只是时不时下一点。
It just came now and then.
是的。
Yeah.
现在是不是经常铲雪了?
Pretty used to shoveling these days, right?
这是一次很好的锻炼。
It's a good workout.
那些在科特兰的年头。
Those years in Cortland.
铲雪的关键是什么?
What's the key with snow shoveling?
关键是什么?
What's the key?
从技巧上来说。
Like technique wise.
你需要几种不同类型的铲子。
Well, you gotta have a couple of different types of shovels.
有些铲子太大了,一次推太多雪,有些则必须用小一点的。
Some of them are too big to they push too much snow at one time, some of them you have to use little ones.
是的,这很好。
Yeah, that's great.
这完全不会让你的背不舒服吗?
And it doesn't bother your back at all?
不会。
No.
哦,太好了。
Oh, that's great.
也许我运气好,我不确定。
Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know.
我只是把它看作是对手臂和背部的一次很好的锻炼。
I just look at it as a good workout on my arms and my back.
太好了。
That's great.
南希说你今天去跑步了,还是只是在铲雪?
And Nancy said you came back from a run today or you were just shoveling.
你今天跑步了吗?
Did you run today or no?
是的,我去跑步了。
Yeah, I ran.
我铲完雪之后又去跑了。
Far I you gone ran after I shoveled.
真棒。
Nice.
跑了多远?
How many miles?
我平时跑两英里。
I I my usual is two miles.
两英里?
Two miles?
你家附近有环形跑道吗?
And you have a loop outside in in your neighborhood?
我有好几条不同的路线。
I have a whole bunch of different ones.
有时候我走这条街,有时候走另一条街。
Sometimes I go up one street, sometimes I go up another street.
这取决于交通状况等等。
Just depends on on the traffic and and so on.
如果我往某个方向跑,就能完全在屋顶下奔跑。
Some there's one direction if I go, then I can run completely underneath a roof.
如果下雨或者类似的情况,我可以在这栋建筑的屋檐下来回跑,完全不被淋湿。
If it's if it's raining or something like that, I can I can stay completely dry by running back and forth under this this one building's roof?
真棒。
Nice.
太好了。
That's great.
在过去一两年里,你总共跑了多远?
How much have you been running like in the last year or two?
你现在通常的跑步习惯是怎样的?
What's your usual routine at this point?
还是老样子。
It's the same old thing.
大概两英里,但我跑得一点都不快。
It's two miles about and I'm not moving fast at all.
特别慢。
Real slow.
那你平时怎么做呢,杰克?
And do you so what do you do, Jack?
一周几次?
Like, times a week?
嗯,不是的。
Well, no.
我经常能跑满七天。
I I I often get all seven days.
有时候只能跑六天,但除非天气特别差,否则我不会少于这个天数。
Sometimes I only get six, but unless I'm the only reason I'd I'd do less than that is if the weather was really bad.
但在一年中的大部分时间里,遇到天气不好的日子,我可以去附近的大学,那里有室内跑道。
But during most of the year, on the bad days, I could go over to the university here and they have an indoor track.
是的,科特兰,我看到那是个高架的室内跑道。
Yeah, Cortland I saw it's like an elevated indoor track.
对吧?
Right?
但那并不是正式的跑道。
But it's not like official track.
对吧?
Right?
它更像是一条休闲用的跑道。
It's more of like a recreational
上面是一条步道。
path It's type on there.
他们的健身中心简直不可思议。
Their fitness center is unbelievable.
是的。
Yeah.
某种程度上,这有点荒谬,因为里面的室内跑道五圈才是一英里。
In a way, it's kind of ridiculous because the indoor track in there is five laps to a mile.
那相当大。
That's pretty big.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
而且它有四条跑道,但运动队不允许在那里训练。
And it's four lanes wide, but teams are not allowed to train there.
只有学生可以用来健身。
It's only students can use it for fitness.
好的。
Okay.
你和南希会尽可能多地使用它,还是只在天气不好的时候才用?
And that's something that you and Nancy use as much as you can or just whenever the weather kind of bad?
是的,不过现在我们根本不能用了,因为那里完全关闭了。
Yeah, well, now we can't use it at all because it's all closed down.
是的,这太疯狂了。
Yeah, it's crazy.
那么,最近镇上情况怎么样?
Well, how does it, what has the town been like lately there?
你觉得外面的人更多了,还是说更多人待在家里?
Do you feel like more people outside or excuse me, more people are staying inside?
你觉得人们有在听吗?还是自从你出去后一直很安静?
Do you feel like people are listening or has it been quiet since you've been out?
我觉得他们似乎更倾向于待在家里。
I think that it seems a little more like they're staying in.
好的。
Okay.
我很少看到外面有人。
I don't see many people outside.
我觉得在过去两周里,我没见过两个人戴口罩。
I I don't think I've seen two people in the last two weeks wearing a mask.
好的。
Okay.
他们好像就是想做什么就做什么,我不知道他们在家里到底在干什么。
So they they seem to just do what they wanna do and I I don't know what they're doing in their house.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
你刚才说你最近商店怎么样?
And you said that you recently what were the stores like?
到目前为止,你基本上只出去跑步或者买食物,对吧?
You've only been out pretty much to run or or get food, right, at this point?
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
这完全是唯一的原因,也许只是为了买点食物或者厕纸,但他们的商店里厕纸已经完全卖光了。
That's the only reason at all is maybe to get some food or buy some toilet tissue which their stores are completely out of.
这太疯狂了。
That's crazy.
我还买了纸巾。
And and I got paper towels.
食物价格还算合理,而且看起来他们几乎有你平时想买的所有东西。
Food is is reasonable, and it seemed like they got just about all the things you'd normally wanna buy.
所以你去的时候,货架上并没有被清空吗?
So the shelves when you were there, the shelves weren't cleared out?
只有厕纸的货架被清空了。
Just the shelves in the toilet tissue.
哦,天哪。
Like, oh, wow.
一点都没有。
There were none.
难以置信。
Unbelievable.
我想你得先买这个,再买食物。
I guess you need that before food.
我不知道。
I don't know
到底发生了什么。
what's going on.
至于食物,如果你愿意吃点冷冻食品,几乎想要什么都能买到。
Well, the food situation, if you're willing to eat some frozen stuff, you can have just about anything you want.
你可以买到蔬菜、水果、肉类。
You can have vegetables, you can have fruit, you can have meat.
是的
Yeah.
随便吧
Whatever.
杰克,波特兰这个小镇有多大啊?
How big is the town in Portland again, Jack?
人口是多少?
Population?
没多大。
It's not real big.
大概两万人左右吧。
It's about 20,000 probably.
好的。
Okay.
而且我好多年没查过了。
But and I haven't looked I haven't looked it up in years.
我只记得我刚来这儿的时候,人口大约是2万,其中6000人是学生。
All I remember is when I first came here, they had about 20,000 and about 6,000 of them were students.
6000名学生。
6,000 students.
在大学里。
At the university.
自从你教他们以来,人口增长了很多吗?
Has it grown a lot since then since you were coaching them?
没有。
No.
没有。
No.
一点都没增长。
Not at all.
有意思。
Interesting.
但是
But
是的,你说吧。
yeah, go ahead.
我刚搬来的时候,我觉得来这里学习的学生中有一半都主修体育教育。
The number of when I first moved here, I think about half of all the students who came here to study were majoring in physical education.
对,那是他们的强项,对吧?
Yeah, that's their specialty, right?
问题是,我刚来之后的十到十五年里,州内的高中不再将体育教育设为一门课程。
Well, problem is that over the next ten or fifteen years after I first came here, the high schools in the state quit offering physical education as a subject.
所以没有工作机会。
So there were no jobs.
如果你主修体育教育,毕业后根本找不到工作。
If you were a PE major, you couldn't get a job when you graduated.
现在正努力稍微恢复一些。
Trying to build it back up a little bit now.
但整个美国的高中体育教育都面临困境。
But the whole United States is in trouble on high school physical education.
我们整个人都变得越来越不健康了。
We're getting out of shape completely.
是的,太糟糕了。
Yeah, it's terrible.
我刚刚接到一个电话,杰克,你一定会喜欢的。
I actually just had a phone call, Jack, you would have appreciated.
是和梅琳达·埃尔莫尔打的,你见过她。
It was with Melinda Elmore, who you've met.
她是斯坦福大学中距离项目的杰出运动员。
She's a Stanford standout in the middle distance.
她曾参加过1500米奥运会比赛。
She ran the Olympics in the 1,500.
实际上,我不知道你知不知道,她刚刚打破了加拿大马拉松纪录。
She actually, I don't know if you know this, just set the Canadian record in the marathon.
她刚跑了2小时24分,而且马上就要满40岁了。
She just ran two twenty four and she turn she turns 40, and, like, very soon she's turning 40.
这真是太不可思议了。
And so it's just incredible.
但她认为自己投身这项运动的原因,是得益于学校的体能训练和早期教育。
But she attributed the reason she got into the sport was, she thinks their physical fitness program and early education.
听到这些真的让人感到欣慰。
And so that was really nice to hear.
但确实令人难过,因为这一切已经彻底下滑了。
But yeah, it's sad to see that just has gone completely downhill.
是啊,这很糟糕,因为这不仅关乎体能,更关乎健康。
Yeah, it's terrible because it's not only fitness, it's health.
没错,这让我们回到当前的状况,因为看起来那些身体状况较好的人在这场疫情中表现得稍微好一些。
Right, which brings us back to the situation we're in now because it seems like people who are in pretty good physical shape are holding up a little better with this virus.
但这并非对所有人都适用。
It's not the case for everyone.
当然会有例外,但看起来如果身体状况良好,就能降低医疗成本。
There's certainly outliers, but it seems like if you're physically fit, that's gonna reduce health care costs.
但在我们目前的情况下,这似乎也有帮助。
But also in our present situation, it seems like it's helpful.
是的,没错。
Yeah, yeah.
嗯,我不知道有没有告诉过你,但我在高中的体育课简直不可思议。
Well, I don't know if I ever told you, but my PE program in high school was just unbelievable.
是的,我们在诊所里经常谈到这个,对吧?
Yeah, we talk about this a lot at the clinics, right?
这真是太惊人了。
It's just amazing.
我希望这种课程仍然存在。
I would hope that it still exists.
但你觉得它还存在吗?还是大概已经没有了?
But do you think it does or probably?
我不确定,我应该联系他一下看看。
I don't know, I should probably contact him and see.
最令人惊叹的是,整个体育项目中只有10个人达到了最高排名。
The most amazing thing about it was that there were only 10 people who who achieved the highest ranking in the physical education program.
所以这是在帕洛阿尔托的塞奎诺亚高中,而且在整个该项目的历史上,只有10个人做到过。
So this is at Sequoia High School in Palo Alto and it's and only 10 ever in the history of that program.
你说在塞奎诺亚只有10个人达到了黄金级别,对吧?
You said there were only 10 people at Sequoia that reached a level gold, right?
只有我高三那届的10个人。
Only only 10 of my senior class.
哦,明白了。
Oh, got it.
在你们那届。
In your class.
所以每一届都有这么多人。
So each each class had so many.
我高中毕业班大约有500名学生。
There were about 500 students in my senior class.
好的。
Okay.
在这10个人里,我们都达到了目标。
And so 10 of 10 of us had goals.
在这10人中,高中毕业六年后,有三人参加了奥运会。
Of those ten, six years after graduating from high school, three of those 10 were in the Olympics.
这简直难以置信。
It's unbelievable.
你还记得他们具体参加的是哪些运动吗?
Do you remember the sports that they actually made those individuals?
他们需要参加哪些项目?
What activities they had to do?
我是说,他们具体是通过哪些运动入选奥运会的?
Well, what what sports did they make the the Olympics in?
是的
Yeah.
其中一人成为了跳水运动员。
One of them made it as a diver.
另一人参加了水球比赛。
One of them made it in water polo.
哇。
Wow.
而我参加了现代五项。
And I made it in modern pentathlon.
对。
Right.
哇,这太惊人了。
Wow that's amazing.
都来自同一个班级。
All in the same class.
是的。
Yeah.
要达成这些目标,你必须非常健康。
You had to be pretty fit to get the goals.
所以这就是基础,很多听众可能不知道,但这是年龄分级背后的基础。
So this is the basis, a lot of our listeners might not know, but this is the basis behind the age graded.
就是VDOT等级,对吧?
Well, the VDOT levels, right?
一共有10个等级,最高是第10级,也就是黄金级。
There's 10 levels that go up to level 10, which is gold, the top level.
而这就是推动你晋升到不同等级、获得不同颜色的基础,对吧?
And this is the basis right behind this idea of advancing to different levels and achieving different colors, right?
对,没错。
Right, exactly.
我就是直接照着这个抄的。
I just copied that right out.
但关键区别在于高中时期的金色短裤项目,涉及多种不同的活动。
But the big difference is in the gold shorts in high school that involved a real variety of activities.
你不能仅仅是个优秀的跑步者之类的,因为在这十个项目中,有一个是游泳。
You couldn't just be a good runner or whatever because in fact, one of the 10 events you had to do, one of them was a swim.
120码的游泳。
A 120 yard swim.
而且评分标准就是看你游得多快,对。
And it was just scored by how fast you Right.
做
Did
是150码的游泳。
It was a 150 yard swim.
抱歉。
Sorry.
他们还有三级跳。
And they had a triple jump.
他们还设置了20英尺的仅用双臂从坐姿开始的攀绳项目,必须在11.5秒内完成,同时还要求完成一定数量的引体向上、俯卧撑和两种不同的跑步项目:120码的躲避跑和300码的折返跑。
They had a 20 foot rope climb arms only from seated position on the floor and you had to do that eleven point five seconds and you had to do a certain number of chin ups and a certain number of bar dips and two different runs, a 120 yard dodge run and a 300 yard shuttle run.
你需要完成很多不同的项目。
You had to do a lot of different things.
你最强的项目是什么?
What was your strongest event?
这些项目里吗?
Of those events?
是的。
Yeah.
这是个好问题。
Well, that's a good question.
对我而言,大概是游泳,因为我参加过游泳队。
Probably for me, the swim because I was on the swim team.
不错。
Nice.
是的,那是你在五项全能中的强项。
Yeah, that was your better event in the pentathlon.
对。
Right.
嗯,骑马才是我在五项全能中最擅长的项目。
Well, riding was my best event in pentathlon.
哦,原来如此。
Oh, okay.
没错。
That's right.
游泳是我的第二强项,最差的是跑步。
And swimming was my second best and my worst was running.
所以我后来成了跑步教练。
That's why I became a running coach.
我看到你最近在入会仪式上演讲时的情景了,或者那是在奥兰多?
I saw when you were in your speech at recent induction and or where was it Orlando?
对。
Right.
我看到你提到跑步是你最差的项目。
And I saw that you mentioned that running was your worst event.
所以你成了教练。
That's why you became a coach.
嗯,因为我跑步很弱,所以我专门研究了跑步。
Well, it's what I did because my running was weak, was I studied running.
是的。
Yeah.
我还拿到了跑步方向的博士学位。
And I I did my PhD degree in running.
杰克,你记得在跟教练训练时感到沮丧吗?
Do you Jack, do you remember being frustrated while you were training with the the the coaches?
比如,
Like,
确实
did
你当时意识到这一点了吗?还是说,这种挫败感更多是因为你觉得自己在跑步上没有进步,后来才想弄清楚原因?
you know it at the time, or did was this more frustration that you just weren't improving in your running and you wanted to figure out later?
或者,你训练时是否曾感到沮丧,觉得教练们可能根本不懂他们在做什么?
Or do you remember while you were training feeling frustrated that the coaches maybe didn't have an idea what they were doing?
还是说,你只是顺其自然,直到比赛后才逐渐明白过来?
Or did you just kind of go along with it and came together more after your competition?
我很快就发现,教练们根本不懂他们在做什么。
It didn't take me long to figure out the coaches didn't know what was going on.
你看,当时我在军队里,学习所有这些项目时,我们没有足够的钱为每个项目都聘请教练。
You see, when I was in the army at the time when I was learning all these events and we didn't have enough money to hire coaches for all the different events.
我的意思是,现代五项包含五个完全不同的项目。
I mean in pentathlon you got five completely different events.
有游泳、跑步、击剑、马术和手枪射击。
You got swimming, you got running, you got fencing, you got horseback riding and you got pistol shooting.
我的意思是,这些项目需要完全不同类型的教练。
I mean those take really different types of coaches.
我们有一位非常出色的击剑教练。
And we had a great great fencing coach.
他是匈牙利人,毕业于布达佩斯击剑学院,是一位非常优秀的击剑教练。
He was a Hungarian guy that graduated from the Budapest Academy of Fencing and and he was a really good fencing coach.
但为了省钱,负责组织现代五项协会的人就告诉这位击剑教练:你顺便也当跑步教练吧。
But to save money, the people organized the the Pentathlon Association, they just told that fencing coach, you also be the running coach.
他根本一窍不通。
He didn't have a clue.
我告诉你,我跟着这位教练练的前六周,我们每天就是去跑道上慢跑一英里,然后拼尽全力跑八个400米,就回家。
I'll tell you the first six weeks I ever ran for that coach, all we did was go to the track and jog a mile, run eight four hundreds as hard as we could and go home.
我们每周这样练五到六天。
And we did that five or six days a week.
累得你根本站不起来,浑身酸痛。
You couldn't even stand up, you're so sore.
我的意思是,我这辈子从来没跑过步,却要拼尽全力跑400米。
I mean, I had never run before in my life and I'm running 400 as hard as I can.
哇哦。
Wow.
它们之间的休息时间是多久?
What was the rest between them?
你还记得吗?
Do you remember?
是的,你得慢跑一圈。
Yeah, you got to jog a lap.
所以你有相当多的休息时间。
So you got a fair bit.
哦,原来如此。
Oh, okay.
但问题是,是的。
But the problem was Yeah.
所以后来,我们根本不知道该怎么参加比赛,因为训练时我们唯一做的就是拼尽全力狂奔。
So then And we we never and in addition to being sore as heck, we didn't have a clue how to run a race because when we ran a race, all we'd ever done for training was run hard hard as we could.
所以比赛一开始,你就使出全部力气冲出去,大概跑完半英里就撑不住了。
So when the race started, you ran as hard as you could and just died after about a half mile.
你们参加的是什么距离的比赛?
What was the distance that you were competing at?
太棒了。
Fantastic.
比赛距离是4000米。
It was 4,000 meters.
4000米,而且是越野跑。
4,000 and it was cross country.
是的。
Yeah.
两英里半的越野跑,而且特别艰难,因为比赛前根本不允许看路线图。
Two and a half two and a half miles cross country and it was really tough cross country because you weren't even allowed to see a map of the course before you ran it.
而且你不被允许在赛道上热身,比赛的方式是所有参赛者每隔一分钟出发一次。
And you weren't allowed you were not allowed to warm up on the course and the way they competed the run, all the competitors in the competition ran one minute apart.
每分钟有一人出发。
One started every minute.
例如,在1960年奥运会上,有60名参赛者。
For instance in the nineteen sixty Olympics, there were 60 competitors.
这意味着有60个人每隔一分钟依次出发。
That means 60 people started one minute apart.
因此,整整一小时里,每分钟都有一个人出发。
So for one entire hour, a different person started every minute.
但你经常能看到前面的选手吗?
But were you seeing competitors oftentimes in front of you?
比如,你是否在追赶他们,还是他们
Like, that you were trying to chase them down or were they
嗯,你得离他们很近,才能在他们一分钟之内。
Well, you had to get pretty close to be within a minute of them.
是的
Yeah.
你唯一会
The only time you'd ever
长长的直道。
Big straightaway.
你只会看到其他跑者,如果你追上了前面整整一分钟的选手,或者后面一分钟的选手追上了你。
You would only ever see another runner is if you caught one a whole minute or one behind you caught you a minute.
你没有,没错。
And you didn't Right.
正如我所说,你不被允许查看赛道。
As I say, you weren't allowed to see the course.
所以你甚至不知道自己即将在一条泥泞的赛道上奔跑。
So you didn't even know if you're gonna be running sometime in this course running through mud.
我记得曾经跑过一片大约一英尺深的草地。
Or I can remember running through a field of grass that was about a foot deep.
是啊,他们带你到处跑。
Mean, they took you everywhere.
我看过一些你的照片,不确定那是选拔赛还是什么比赛,但那里有干草堆在跑道上吗?还是说那只是……
And I've seen pictures of you I don't know if they were the trials or what the competition was, but you're is was were there hay bales in the running or just the that was more the
没有。
No.
更多时候,我们通常没有障碍物。
More more more we we didn't usually have obstacles.
我们主要是进行非常陡峭的上下坡跑。
We had very tough up and downhill runs.
我记得有一条赛道,上坡太陡了,他们挂了一根绳子下来,你可以拉着绳子爬上去。
I remember one course we had, the uphill run was so steep, they hung a rope down, you could pull yourself up the hill.
哦,天哪。
Oh, wow.
但路程并不长。
It wasn't very long.
只有大约四五十米,差不多吧。
It was only about 40 or 50 meters, something like that.
我想那是地区赛。
There was the con I think it was regionals.
我不知道你有没有看过这个NCAA比赛。
I don't know if you saw this NCAA.
那是什么比赛?
What was it?
一场因为天气原因被改成了公路赛的会议赛或地区赛。
A conference meet or a regional meet where because of the weather, they turned it into a road.
真的吗?
Oh, really?
我们在高中越野跑时确实也跑过一点公路,但你的比赛看起来更像真正的越野赛。
So we actually ran a little bit on the roads in high school and cross country, but this your competition seemed like true.
嗯,
Well,
我记得有一年在伦敦举行的世界锦标赛。
was it was I can remember one year the World Championships in London.
那天下了整整的雨,赛道上到处都是泥泞。
They had had nothing but rain and there was mud all over that course.
你必须得跑。
And you had to run.
是的。
Yeah.
他们只用两条胶带标出了两条跑道。
They had two lanes of tape.
你全程4000米都得在这两条胶带之间跑,就像在小径上一样。
You ran between those two the entire 4,000 meters, you were in a trail.
对。
Yeah.
你
You
展开剩余字幕(还有 155 条)
不允许跑到旁边绕过泥坑或其他障碍。
weren't allowed to run off to the side to get around a mud hole or anything.
你只能被困在那里。
You were stuck.
这很有趣。
That's interesting.
我总是记得要应对各种不同的天气或气候,你会注意到某些跑步者会变得泄气。
I remember always dealing with different weather or climate, and you would notice that certain runners would get discouraged.
我认为从心理上讲,这很难。
I think psychologically, it's hard.
我的意思是,当教练面对运动员可能从未训练过的极端天气时,应该如何应对呢?
I mean, how should coaches sort of work with their athletes when they're faced with extreme, you know, weather that maybe they haven't trained in?
我的意思是,你有没有什么好方法帮助运动员度过这些情况?
I mean, what's a good way that you've kind of helped athletes get through those situations?
首先,要意识到每个人都在面对同样的情况。
Well, number one thing is to realize that everybody's facing situation.
所以你并不是被挑出来遭遇恶劣条件,这更多是心理层面的问题。
So you're not being picked out to have bad conditions and it's more of a mental thing.
在天气非常恶劣的比赛中,你可能想要调整自己的目标。
You might want to change your goal for a race that's under really bad conditions.
你的目标可能不再是追求某个特定的时间,而是看在这场比赛中你能超过多少人。
Your goal might be instead of trying to run a certain time is to see how many people you can pass during this race.
换句话说,开始时要谨慎一些,我经常对我的大学队这么做。
In other words, start out kind of cautiously and see, I did this with my college team quite often.
我会告诉他们:今天我会奖励超过最多人的那个同学。
I tell them, today I'll give a prize to which one of you passes the most people in the race.
你只需要记录并数清楚超过的人数。
You just keep track, count them all.
而这意味着,当然,你得从慢速开始。
And I, you know, and that what that means is of course that you gotta start slow.
如果你想超过更多人,那就最好从慢速开始。
If you wanna pass more people, you better start slow.
是的
Yeah.
所以你觉得这种方法效果不错吗?
So do you found that that works pretty well?
它某种程度上改变了那种‘哦,没错’的感觉。
It sort of takes that sort of shifts the Oh yeah.
对吧?
Right?
有效。
Works.
效果很好,开始时保持舒适的速度。
It works really Going out comfortable.
我的意思是,当然有些赛道在前400米之后会变窄,变成单列通行。
I mean, obviously there are courses where after the first 400 meters is the course is narrowed down to a single file down some path.
所以很难超越别人。
So it's hard to pass people.
但你只需要在那段时间里放松下来。
But you just you have to just relax during that period of time.
然后你可以玩一些不同的游戏,比如爬坡。
And and then there's things you can just different games you can play like going up a hill.
你经常听到教练们强调爬坡的重要性。
You hear a lot of coaches push that hill.
那就是你能够超越别人的地方。
That's where you can beat people.
我通常告诉人们的是,看看你能在不被任何对手甩下的情况下,多轻松地跑上每一段坡道。
Well, what I try to tell people to do is see how easily you can run up every hill without losing ground to any of the competitors.
当别人奋力爬坡时,你能多轻松地跟上大家的步伐?
How easily can you stay up with everybody else while they're pushing the hill?
到了坡顶时,一旦你到达顶部,就加快速度,甚至可以数步数。
And then at the top of the hill, when you get to the top of the hill, to pick up the pace and even count.
我打算用50步加速跑。
I'm gonna run faster for 50 steps.
跑完50步后,你会惊讶地发现你超过了多少人,因为其他在上坡时拼命冲刺的人此刻已经精疲力尽,快撑不住了。
And after 50 steps, you'd be surprised how many people you pass because everybody else who pushed the hill is killing themselves and they're dying at the top of the hill.
这很好,因为它给你提供了一个可以集中精神的目标。
That's nice because it gives you something mentally to focus on.
这对竞争对手来说几乎是一种打击,对吧?
And it's almost demoralizing, I bet, for the competitor, right?
如果你在他们过度发力后在坡顶逐渐拉开距离,也许你就能真正击垮对方。
If you're pulling away at the top of the hill after they've pressed the gas too much, maybe then you can really knock something
是的,我总是担心那些在终点前冲刺并超过两个人的跑者,大家都会喊‘你跑得太棒了,最后反超了两人’。
Yeah, I always concerned about runners who sprint to the finish and pass two people in the you know, and everybody's yelling, you had a great race, outkicked two people.
但其实你在中途已经被其他40个人超过了,你只是最后反超了两个。
But 40 other people passed you in the middle of the race and you outkicked too.
所以你实际上丢了38个名次。
So you lost 38 places.
我宁愿在中途超过那40个人,哪怕最后被反超。
I'd rather pass the 40 people in the middle of the race and get out kicked at the end.
我喜欢你对高中越野赛通常怎么进行的描述是什么?
I love, what's your line for how a typical high school cross country race goes?
典型的高中比赛是这样的,不过很多大学比赛也与此不同。
Here's how a typical high not many college races are are are different than this also.
田径场上最好的选手起步太快,结果因为起步过快而崩溃。
The best runner the best runner in the field goes out too fast and dies because he went out too fast.
但他仍然赢了,因为其他人都和他一起起步,然后崩得更惨。
But he still wins because everybody else went out with him and died worse.
这就是
And that's
所以我特别喜欢这种策略,就是专注于你能超过多少人,对吧?
so I I love I love the strategy of, like, just focusing on how many people you can pass, right?
因为正如你所说,这能防止运动员一开始就拼命冲刺。
Because that probably, like you said, it prevents athletes from starting athletes.
哦,是的。
Oh yeah.
我的意思是,也许你起步太慢了,结果超过了太多人。
I mean, maybe you started too slow and you passed too many people.
所以下一场比赛,你可能会尝试稍微不同的策略。
So the next race, maybe you're gonna try a little different.
你能做的事情太多了,我每次跑步都会设定一个目标吗?
There's so many different things you can I like to have a goal for every race you run?
其中一个目标可能是:今天我的目标是尝试一种不同的热身方式。
And one goal might be today, my goal for today's race is to try a different warm up.
这和我比赛的表现毫无关系。
Has nothing to do with how I ran the race.
这只是我为比赛所做的准备。
It's just how I prepared for the race.
也许一种不同的热身方式比我更适合我,但对别人可能没那么有效。
Maybe maybe a different warm up works better for me than it works for somebody else.
如果你不去尝试,你就永远不知道它会不会有效。
And if you don't try it, you're not you don't know if it'll ever work.
是的
Yeah.
这有助于设定预期。
It's great for setting expectations.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,我见过太多运动员,他们跑到一定程度时设定了个人最佳成绩,但赛后却感到失望,因为他们没达到目标——他们可能只有一个单一目标,比如‘我只想跑出这个成绩’。
I mean, see so many athletes who some to the point where they set a PR and they're disappointed after the race because they didn't reach, you know, they didn't reach their their goal and that they had a singular goal maybe of just, I wanna achieve this time.
没达到目标也没关系。
Well, that's okay to have a goal that you don't achieve.
但下次设定目标时要记住这一点。
But remember that next time you set a goal.
还有杰克
And Jack
你可能不会总是达成目标,但如果目标合理,通常还是很容易实现的。
Well, you may not always achieve your goals, but usually it's pretty easy to achieve them if there's something reasonable.
对。
Right.
同时设定现实的期望也非常重要。
So important setting realistic expectations too at the same time.
是的。
Yeah.
我想就这个话题问你一下,比如比赛时起步慢一点、最后冲刺,避免因为起步太快而被超越。
I wanted to ask you along those lines of, you know, starting a little bit slower, finishing strong, avoiding, you know, getting past in a race by going out too quickly.
你的大部分训练显然基于不同的生理训练,对吧?我们试图达到阈值配速。
Lot of your training obviously based on, you know, training different physiology, right, where we're trying to hit a threshold pace.
你通过以特定配速进行间歇训练,来最大化每次训练的收益。
You're trying to run intervals at a specific pace to maximize the benefit you're getting from each workout.
但为了帮助运动员在比赛中起步更慢、冲刺更强,你还做了哪些其他事情?
But what other things did you do to help athletes maybe prepare for starting slower and finishing stronger in a race?
除了强调‘今天我们要追求某种生理效益’,并明确训练内容(无论是在跑道上还是其他地方),你还会加入其他方法吗?
Did you add in other things versus just stressing, today we're looking for this benefit physiologically, and here's what we're gonna work on, whether it's at the track or wherever you do it.
你做过哪些事情来帮助运动员应对不同的赛道,做到起步较慢、最后冲刺更强?
What what were some of the things that you did to help athletes dealing with different race courses, having to start slower, maybe finish strong?
你只是在练习这一点,然后
Were you just practicing that and
是的。
Yeah.
我所见过的最好例子是,我总是让我的运动员在比赛开始前跑一段两分钟的阈值强度跑,感觉舒适但吃力。
Well, I mean the best example I ever had of that is I used to used to always have my runners run about a two minute run at about their threshold intensity, comfortably hard.
这通常是他们在比赛开始前做的最后一项热身,而且就在比赛开始前大约八分钟进行。
And that's the last thing they do before the race starts, and they do that about only about eight minutes before the race starts.
我甚至让我的团队在比赛开始后十分钟内,以阈值强度跑完前800米,甚至前1200米。
I even I've even had my team run first 800 meters or even the first 1,200 meters of the course at threshold effort within ten minutes of the start of the race.
这真的很神奇,因为大多数人在比赛前热身时都会做些什么呢?
It's pretty amazing how that because what what do most people do before a race starts as part of a warm up?
他们只是做一大堆轻松慢跑和几次加速跑。
They do a bunch of easy jogging and they do a bunch of strides.
他们就是做这两件事。
Those are the two things they do.
对。
Yep.
他们不会做任何持续时间很长的热身。
They don't do anything prolonged.
你怎么知道在热身结束前做一段稳定的两到三分钟跑步可能有益呢?
How do you how do you know maybe a steady two or three minute run as your last thing in your warm up might might be beneficial?
它可能会让你在发令枪响时速度变慢。
It might slow you down when the gun goes off.
有一次,我觉得我带领的女子团队有机会赢得全国冠军,于是我测量了赛道的前800米。
The one the one here my thought I had a chance of winning nationals with my women's team, and I measured off the first 800 meters of course.
他们在比赛开始前仅八分钟做的最后一件事,就是以他们计划在比赛前800米中要跑的速度完成这800米。
And the last thing they did which was only eight minutes before the race started was to run that 800 meters at the pace they were gonna try to run for the first 800 meters of the race.
我告诉他们,我希望他们在那800米的前400米中跑出85秒。
And I told them I wanted them to run eighty five seconds for the first 400 of that 800.
因为我觉得这个配速大约是他们跑五公里能维持的速度。
Because I thought that was about the pace they could run for five k.
大约是85秒的配速。
It was about a eighty five second pace.
当比赛开始时
When the race went off
是的。
Yeah.
我的七名女运动员在前400米都跑出了84到85秒的成绩,她们是186名选手中最后七名出发的。
My seven women ran together all eighty four and eighty five seconds at the first 400, and they were the last seven runners in the field of a 186 runners.
她们是最后七名。
They were the last seven.
到了一英里标记时,我的一名女运动员已经领先,并以22秒的优势赢得了冠军。
At the mile mark, one of my women had the lead, and she won by twenty two seconds over second place.
哇。
Wow.
我能想象。
I can imagine.
我的意思是,如果让我在比赛中重现这种情况,我肯定会紧张。
I mean, I would be nervous just trying to recreate it in the race.
对吧?
Right?
因为肾上腺素到底能带来多大影响?
Because how much does adrenaline make?
每当我们在训练马拉松选手时,我总是担心这个问题——在像纽约马拉松或波士顿马拉松这样的大型赛事中,起跑时的肾上腺素会让配速感觉更轻松,对吧?
I always worry about this when we coach marathoners that trying to teach them that with the adrenaline at the start of some of these huge marathons like New York and Boston, paces feel easier, right?
因为起跑时的肾上腺素和紧张焦虑感。
Because of adrenaline and just kind of that nervous anxiousness at the start.
所以,你觉得这是个挑战吗?还是说只要在人多的环境中多加练习,专注于保持配速就够了?
So that's got to be do you feel like that's that challenging or it's just a matter of really focusing and practicing the pace when you get out there with lots of people around you just to stay focused?
但肾上腺素真的会影响对不同强度的感受吗?
But does adrenaline really can it play with how certain intensities feel?
这是一个挑战吗?
Is that a challenge?
你打算在整个比赛中跑的配速并不算快。
Pace that you're gonna try to run for the entire race is not that fast.
我的意思是,这是一个不错的配速,但绝对不像5公里、10公里或一英里那样快。
I mean, it's it's a good pace, but it's certainly nothing like a five k or a 10 k or a mile.
所以很容易跑得太快,因为跑得快的时候感觉很好。
So it's so so darn easy to go too fast because you can easily run too fast feel good.
你跑得越快
And the faster you run
对。
Right.
你肌肉中储存的能量就会消耗得越多。
The more of your energy is used up that's stored in your muscles.
你储存的全部能量本可以平均分配到26英里的全程,却在大约16或18英里处就耗尽了。
You can instead of instead of all the energy you got stored getting spread out over 26 miles, it's gone after about 16 or 18.
马拉松选手撞墙通常就发生在最后的10公里。
And that's that's where people hit the wall in marathons is that last 10 k.
这是因为起步太快了,而起步太快的时候根本感觉不到痛苦。
And it it's from it's from going out too fast because it didn't hurt to go out too fast.
对。
Right.
还有你的赛前减量训练。
And your tape.
当然。
Sure.
对吧?
Right?
你得进行大强度的减量训练,让双腿感觉焕然一新。
You gotta do these big tapers and legs feel fresh.
所以回到热身的问题上,杰克,对于短距离比赛,我记得在高中和大学时,那时候非常普遍。
So then coming back to warm up, Jack, for shorter races, I mean, I remember in high school, college, it was very typical at that time.
你基本上会慢跑几英里,然后坐下来,身体变冷,拉伸二十分钟,再站起来做一些快速冲刺,然后就去参加比赛。
You would basically, you know, jog a couple miles, and then you'd you'd sit down and get cold and stretch for twenty minutes, and then you'd get up and do some hard strides, and then and then you go into the race.
所以你更倾向于不是完全不跑,而是以目标配速跑上几分钟。
So your your preferred is not to is to do some running basically at your goal pace, but do it for several minutes.
别担心会把自己累垮,与其做短距离冲刺,不如更好地锁定这个配速。
Don't be afraid that you're gonna tire yourself out, and it's better to lock in on that pace versus doing doing sprinting.
很多都是对的吧?
A lot of the right?
我说的冲刺,比如越野赛,大家都担心起跑太快。
The stride I mean, cross country races, everyone's nervous about getting out.
对吧?
Right?
我觉得这正是他们想在比赛前冲刺的原因。
And I think that's part of why they wanna sprint before, you know, before the race.
对吧?
Right?
是的
Yeah.
这是一种你使用的能量,因为你必须明白,你的有氧能量每分钟都有一定量,贯穿整场比赛。
It's a type of energy that you use because you have to think that your aerobic energy you have a certain amount every minute for the entire race.
每分钟都会产生一定量的有氧能量。
You a certain amount of aerobic energy comes every minute.
但你的无氧能量,要把它看作是你的助推火箭。
But your anaerobic energy, you have to think about that as as your booster rocket.
你拥有的无氧能量总量,和你每分钟的有氧能量一样多。
You've got you got a much as much energy anaerobically total that you have every minute for aerobic.
所以,如果你每分钟有四升氧气的有氧能量,而无氧能量总量也只有四升,如果你在起跑时就把这四升无氧能量全部用掉,你确实会比只靠有氧跑步快很多。
So if you if you have four liters of oxygen every minute aerobically and you got a total of four liters of oxygen anaerobically total, if you use all four liters of that anaerobic energy at the start, they're gonna run a lot faster than if you just ran aerobically.
但你会大幅减速,因为你已经没有剩余的无氧能量了。
But you're you're gonna have to slow way down because you haven't got any more of it left.
你的助推火箭已经耗尽了。
Your booster rocket's gone.
所以,关键在于认识到自己能持续承受的强度是多少。
So it's it's it's really a matter of realizing what intensity you can handle for a prolonged period of time.
到了马拉松,当然还是老生常谈:不要起步太快,因为你肌肉里储存的糖原能量是有限的。
Then when you get marathon, of course, it's the same old thing about not going out too fast because what you do is you have a certain amount of glycogen energy stored in your muscles.
如果你以最大速率消耗这些糖原,我们计算过,大概跑完17英里后就会耗尽。
And if you were to use that glycogen at a maximum rate, I think we calculated you would make 17 miles, then it's gone.
是的。
Yeah.
好了,杰克,下周我们将推出VDOT挑战系列,你会有一个几天的时间窗口。
Well, Jack, we're going to do in the next week, we're going to launch this VDOT challenge series where you're going to get a couple day window.
运动员可以在VDOT应用的日历上提交任何距离的比赛成绩。
Athletes will get a couple day window where they can enter a race result on their calendar on the VDOT app, and it could be any distance.
我们会根据VDOT评分,举办一场虚拟比赛,距离无关紧要。
And we're gonna score it based on VDOT and just have, you know, essentially a virtual race where it doesn't matter the distances.
我们会设定一些基本规则,比如至少要跑一英里,但其他距离都可以。
Well, we're gonna have guidelines where you have to run at least a mile, but it's gonna be essentially any distance.
我们还想做年龄分级的内容。
And we also wanna do the age graded stuff.
不过我会给你打电话,告诉你我到现在做了些什么。
But I'll I'll I'll give you a call and tell you what I've done so far.
好的。
Okay.
很好。
Good.
太棒了。
Awesome.
好吧,很好。
So alright, good.
那我先说一下,我们稍后再聊这个。
So let me, we'll chat about that in a bit.
好的。
Okay.
但除此之外,我觉得我们没问题了。
But otherwise, I think we're good.
回头再聊。
Talk to you later.
好的,杰克。
Alright, Jack.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。