本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
每年,成千上万来自世界各地的人们涌向拉斯维加斯参加消费电子展,他们花上一周时间向彼此推销你这辈子见过的最古怪的电子产品。
Every year, hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world flock to Las Vegas for the consumer electronics show, and they spend a week trying to sell each other on the weirdest gadgets you've ever seen in your entire life.
本周的《The Vergecast》节目,我们将全面探讨CES上发生的各种事情,从电视到人工智能设备,再到大家寄望未来能帮你洗衣服、洗碗的人形机器人。
This week on the Vergecast, we're talking all about everything happening at CES, from the TVs to the AI gadgets to the humanoid robots that everybody is hoping might someday do your laundry and wash your dishes.
更多内容尽在《The Vergecast》,无论你在哪个平台收听播客都能找到。
All that and much more on the Vergecast wherever you get podcasts.
今年冬天,感冒和流感尤其严重。
This winter, the cold and flu have been especially bad.
罪魁祸首是谁?
And the culprits?
嗯,它们无处不在。
Well, they're everywhere.
事实上,整个地球都充满了感染一切的病毒。
Literally, the the entire planet is just packed with viruses that are infecting everything.
我是说真的无所不包,甚至连其他病毒也不放过。
And I mean literally everything, even other viruses.
本周在Vox的《向我解释》节目中,我们将探讨那些让我们生病的讨厌微生物,以及它们如何也可能帮助我们保持健康。
This week on Explain It To Me from Vox, those pesky microbes getting us sick and how they might also be helping us stay well.
新集数每周日上线,可在您收听播客的任何平台收听。
New episodes, Sundays, wherever you get your podcasts.
本节目由MongoDB赞助。
Support for this show comes from MongoDB.
你是一位希望创新的开发者。
You're a developer who wants to innovate.
但你却困在解决瓶颈和对抗遗留代码中。
Instead, you're stuck fixing bottlenecks and fighting legacy code.
MongoDB可以帮助你。
MongoDB can help.
它是一个灵活的统一平台,由开发者为开发者打造。
It's a flexible, unified platform that's built for developers by developers.
MongoDB符合ACID标准,适用于企业,具备快速开发AI应用所需的功能。
MongoDB is ACID compliant, enterprise ready, with the capabilities you need to ship AI apps fast.
这就是为什么众多《财富》500强企业都信赖MongoDB来处理他们最关键的业务负载。
That's why so many of the Fortune 500 trust MongoDB with their most critical workloads.
负载。
Workloads.
准备好跳出行和列的思维了吗?
Ready to think outside rows and columns?
立即前往 mongodb.com/build 开始构建。
Start building at mongodb.com/build.
大家好。
Hey, everybody.
我是尼尔·I。
It's Neil I.
在经历了冬季假期和CES展会之后,我和《解码者》团队重新回到了播客录音间,从下周一开始我们将为您带来全新剧集。
The Decoder team and I are settling back in the podcast booth after the winter break in CES, and we're gonna have new episodes for you starting on Monday.
与此同时,我们想特别推荐去年我们最喜欢的一期节目——对记者兼作家梅根·格林韦尔的采访,她谈到了自己的著作《私募股权与美国梦的消亡》。
In the meantime, we wanted to highlight one of our favorites from last year, an interview with the journalist and author Megan Greenwell about her book, Private Equity and the Death of the American Dream.
私募股权是现代资本主义中一个反复出现的主题。
Private equity is one of those recurring themes of modern capitalism.
你只要在谷歌中搜索‘私募股权’,就会发现大量新闻报道,讲述私募股权如何渗透到从犹他州的大学体育到阿迪朗达克地区的移动住宅公园等各个领域。
You just plug the words private equity into Google, and you will find scores of news stories about PE encroaching on everything from college sports in Utah to mobile home parks in the Adirondacks.
它无处不在,而我去年与梅根的对话极大地揭示了私募股权为何会对医疗、媒体和房地产等行业采取这样的做法,以及它如何深刻地影响着全美人民的日常生活。
It's everywhere, and my conversation with Megan last year was extremely illuminating as to why private equity does what it does to industries like health care, media, and real estate, and just how deeply it's affecting the everyday lives of Americans everywhere.
这是一场非常精彩的对话,如今听来依然像去年夏天那样具有现实意义。
It's really great conversation that feels just as timely today as it did last summer.
请欣赏,我们下周将带来 Decoder 的更多新 episodes。
Enjoy, and we'll see you next week with more new episodes of Decoder.
你好,欢迎收听 Decoder。
Hello, and welcome to Decoder.
我是尼尔·I·帕特尔,Virgin 的主编。
I'm Neil I Patel, editor in chief of the Virgin.
Decoder 是我的节目,探讨重大理念与其他问题。
Decoder is my show about big ideas and other problems.
今天,我与梅根·格林威尔交谈,她曾是《连线》和《Deadspin》的资深编辑,谈论她的新书《劣质公司:私募股权与美国梦的消亡》。
Today, I'm talking with Megan Greenwell, a former top editor of both Wired and Deadspin about her new book, Bad Company, Private Equity and the Death of the American Dream.
这本书将于6月10日出版,它深刻揭示了私募股权如何远远超越影响陷入困境的企业,深刻改变并重塑了普通美国人的生活。
The book comes out on June 10, and it is a searing account of how private equity goes far beyond impacting failing businesses and deeply affects and transforms the lives of everyday Americans.
目前,《Decoder》很大程度上是一档探讨解释科技政策与商业的系统与框架的节目。
Now, Decoder is very much a show about the systems and frameworks that explain tech policy and business.
这意味着我们曾在节目中多次讨论过私募股权,因为PE在商业领域无处不在,尽管它对众多公司运营方式的巨大影响往往隐藏在公众视野之外。
And that means we've talked about private equity a number of times on the show because PE is everywhere across the business landscape even though its massive influence on how so many companies operate is pretty hidden from view.
但一旦你注意到了,就会发现它无处不在。
But once you see it, you start to see it everywhere.
听到如此多其他人也有过与私募股权管理公司相似的经历,这让我感到非常共鸣。
And it is incredibly validating to hear that so many other people have had similar experiences with companies managed by private equity.
我知道这一点的原因之一,是因为我们的数据和来自《Decoder》观众的反馈。
One of the reasons I know this is because it's in our numbers and the feedback we get here on Decoder.
我们2023年与律师兼作家布兰登·巴卢关于其私募股权著作《掠夺》的访谈,是我们最受欢迎的节目之一。
Our twenty twenty three episode with lawyer and author Brendan Baloo about his private equity book Plunder is one of our most popular episodes.
我们将在节目笔记中提供该链接。
We'll link to that in the show notes.
梅根对私募股权的兴趣源于她担任Deadspin主编的经历,Deadspin是一个著名但现已关闭的体育与文化网站。
Megan's interest in private equity came from her experience as editor in chief of Deadspin, the famous and now defunct sports and culture website.
Deadspin是Gawker的一部分,而Gawker被一家名为Great Hill Partners的私募股权公司收购,该公司立即开始对Deadspin的内容进行微观管理。
Deadspin was part of Gawker and Gawker was taken over by private equity firm called Great Hill Partners, which began to immediately micromanage Deadspin's content.
正是在那时,梅根开始意识到,私募股权公司的目标和财务成果与它们所收购的公司目标和财务成果之间存在巨大脱节。
This was when Meghan first began to realize that the goals and financial results of a private equity firm were very disconnected from the goals and financial results of the companies which they had taken over.
她的书中深入探讨了私募股权如何在经济的四个领域中发挥作用。
In her book is a deep dive into how private equity works as expressed in four parts of the economy.
当然包括媒体、零售、住房,或许最令人沮丧的是医疗保健。
Media, of course, retail, housing, and maybe the most maddening of all, health care.
我的家族中有很多医生,我听过太多关于私募股权如何改变美国医疗保健的故事。
My family has a lot of doctors in it and I've heard so much about how private equity has changed health care in America.
你将听到梅根将医疗行业的金融化与许多人如今在医疗保健中遭遇的糟糕体验联系起来。
And you'll hear Megan connect the dots between the financialization of the healthcare industry and the poor experiences many people have with healthcare today.
梅根和我花了一些时间讨论了私募股权的历史,以及从催生唐纳德·特朗普的纽约房地产世界,到当今私募股权行业的文化脉络。
Meghan and I also spent some time talking about the history of private equity and the cultural through line from the New York City real estate world that gave rise to Donald Trump all the way to the private equity industry of today.
这其中蕴含着大量历史,确实有助于解释金融的激励机制如何主导了美国人的生活方式,并现已渗透到政府的最高层。
There's a lot of history there that really does help explain how the incentives of finance have come to dominate the American way of life and now seeped into the highest levels of government.
或许最令人惊讶的是,你会听到梅根费尽心思地区分私募股权和风险投资,这两者截然不同,也带来完全不同的问题。
Perhaps most surprisingly, you'll hear Meghan take great pains to differentiate private equity from venture capital, which is very different and comes with very different problems.
我总是很享受与其他编辑交谈,尤其是当他们对某个话题表现出明显的好奇时。
I always really enjoy talking to other editors, especially about something they're so obviously curious about.
告诉我你对这一期节目的看法。
Let me know what you think about this one.
我猜你会有很多话要说。
I suspect you will have a lot to say.
好的。
Okay.
梅根·格林沃尔德,《坏公司:私募股权与美国梦的消亡》作者。
Megan Greenwald, author of Bad Company, Private Equity, and the Death of the American Dream.
我们开始吧。
Here we go.
梅根·格林沃尔德,你是一名记者。
Megan Greenwell, you're a journalist.
你是《坏公司:私募股权与美国梦的消亡》的作者。
You're the author of Bad Company, Private Equity, and the Death of the American Dream.
欢迎来到《解码器》。
Welcome to Decoder.
谢谢你的邀请。
Thank you for having me.
我觉得这本书真的很重要。
I feel like the the book is really important.
它非常出色。
It's really good.
读起来很有趣,但又让人气愤。
It's it's fun to read in a, like, infuriating way.
但我应该说,记者这一身份很重要。
But I should say journalist is important.
你曾是Deadspin的主编。
You were the editor of Deadspin.
你曾在Wired工作过一段时间。
You were at Wired for a minute.
你有着长期的记者生涯。
You have a long history as a journalist.
是的。
Yeah.
我经历得多了。
Been around the block a few times.
我们在节目中已经多次讨论过私募股权。
We've talked about private equity a bunch on the show.
它是美国商业中的一股力量。
It's a force in American business.
它正在技术领域崛起,而技术通常是这个节目的焦点。
It's a rising force in technology, which is often the focus of this show.
我们多次在媒体的语境中讨论过它,而你在Deadspin有过非常直接的私募股权媒体经验。
We've talked about it in the context of media a lot and you had a very direct private equity in media experience at Deadspin.
我当初是从盖克纳方程的另一端作为博主起步的。
I came up as a blogger on the other side of the Gawker equation.
我们是Gizmodo的激烈竞争对手,我负责Gadget栏目,我们总是把Deadspin视为一个令人惊叹、充满活力的力量,不仅在美国体育媒体中,也在政治和文化媒体中。
We were ferocious competitors to Gizmodo and I ran in Gadget and we would always look at Deadspin as this amazing, vibrant force, not only in American sports media, but in political media and cultural media.
为了让我们那些不记得那时Deadspin是什么样子的观众有个概念,你能简单描述一下它当时的样子吗?
Just for our audience who doesn't remember what Deadspin was like in that moment, just give a sense of what it was.
我的意思是,Deadspin就像很多东西,因为它既有趣又古怪。
I mean, Deadspin was like so many things because it was so fun and so weird.
随着2010年代的推进,越来越少的出版物还在做有趣又古怪的内容。
As the twenty tens went on, there were fewer and fewer publications that were doing fun and weird.
但Deadspin从未失去那种精神,反而不断增添了其他各种内容。
But Deadspin just never lost that ethos, but it added on all of this other stuff.
对吧?
Right?
所以它增加了深入的调查报道、精美的专题文章、相当有野心的视频,以及所有这些东西。
So it added on serious investigative work and big beautiful features, pretty ambitious videos, and all of that stuff.
我们还有一个不错的活动业务。
We had a nice events business going.
当我2018年加入时,这简直是我的理想工作。
When I got there in 2018, it was absolutely my dream job.
这就是我想要的工作——Deadspin的主编。
Like, that was the job I wanted, was editor of Deadspin.
我当时想,太好了。
And I was sort of like, great.
我会一直待在这里,直到他们把我赶走。
I'll stay here until they kick me out.
而他们把我赶走的时间比我预期的早得多,原因就是私募股权。
And them kicking me out came a lot sooner than I expected it to because of private equity.
但没错,我认为它在互联网上是极具特色的网站之一,正是这种独特性让我无比想在这里工作。
But yeah, it was just, I think, one of the most distinctive sites on the Internet in a way that really made it the place I wanted to work.
我觉得Deadspin的兴衰浓缩了许多东西。
And I feel like the rise and fall of Deadspin encapsulates a lot of things.
对吧?
Right?
曾经有一批新兴博客,我们都在场,见证传统报纸对博主们怒不可遏的时刻,而如今TikTok用户却把我称为主流媒体,这简直太搞笑了。
There was a set of upstart blogs and we were all there for the moments when the traditional newspapers would be furious at the bloggers in a way that the TikTokers now refer to me as the mainstream media, which is like very funny.
我则想说:不,我实际上亲身经历了这场斗争的第一阶段。
And I'm like, no, I I lived the first version of this fight actually.
等等。
Hold on.
但随后发生了一种取代,对吧?它确实成为了美国体育和文化中一股强大的力量。
But then there was a displacement, right, that that did become a a huge force in American sports and culture.
然后,由于我们多年来在Dakota节目中多次讨论过的各种原因,其商业模式崩溃了。
And then the business model fell out for a huge variety of reasons that we've talked about a lot on Dakota over the years.
然后私募股权进场了。
And then private equity rolls in.
让我感到震惊的是,正是这一点促使你写了这本书——这家私募股权公司试图将Deadspin商业化运作。
And the thing that grabs me about that, and I'm confident led you to write this book, is the PE company tried to operationalize Deadspin.
是的。
Yes.
对吧?
Right?
它试图从它所认为的Deadspin所代表的任何商品中榨取更多价值。
It it tried to get more value out of whatever commodity it perceived Deadspin to be.
你亲身经历了这一切。
And you lived it.
所以我只是很好奇。
So I'm just curious.
这是我从外部看到的情况。
That's how I saw it from the outside.
那真的是发生了这种情况吗?
Is that actually what happened?
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得基本没错。
I think that's basically right.
我的意思是,我们之前是由Univision运营的。
I mean, we had been run by Univision.
我们与Univision的核心业务相差太远,他们根本不知道该怎么处理我们。
We were so far outside the core of what Univision did that they couldn't figure out what to do with us.
而且我们的变现能力肯定严重不足。
And we were definitely under monetized.
对吧?
Right?
比如,我们没能开发出订阅产品,因为从编辑层面来说,我们会说,嘿。
Like, we had failed to develop a subscription product because we, on the editorial side, would say, hey.
我们应该考虑订阅产品。
We should think about subscription products.
现在是2018年,正是做这件事的时候。
It's 2018, and this is the time to do it.
他们会说,是啊,没错,但我们没有相应的业务团队来推进这个。
They would say, yeah, yeah, totally, but we don't have the business staff to do that.
所以,当Univision最终放手时,我并不是觉得私募股权收购媒体是好事,但说实话,这看起来也不算最糟的结局,因为他们告诉我们:我们会好好帮你实现盈利。
And so, when Univision finally cut us loose, I it wasn't that I thought that private equity buying media was a good thing, but it honestly didn't seem like the worst case scenario because they were telling us, yeah, we're gonna properly monetize you.
对吧?
Right?
我们都希望如此。
And we all wanted that.
我们希望取得成功。
We wanted to be successful.
Deadspin是盈利的。
Deadspin was profitable.
你可以用多种方式定义盈利,而我们只是众多网站中的一个,不是所有网站都盈利。
You can define profitable any number of ways, and we were part of a network of other sites, not all of which were profitable.
对吧?
Right?
但根据我见过的任何指标,Deadspin 单独来看是盈利的。
But by any metric I ever saw, you know, Deadspin alone was profitable.
所以我们觉得,这是一个关键时刻。
And so we were sort of like, this is an opportunity moment.
这并不是一个‘切片’时刻。
This isn't a, like, slice moment.
他们大谈特谈要开发订阅产品,全力推进其他能提升盈利的举措,而我们所有人都对此没有异议。
They talked a big game about how we were going to develop a subscription product and go hard on all of these other things that would make us more profitable, and none of us objected to that at all.
但结果发现,他们真正想做的是控制我们能报道的内容,试图让我们变成 ESPN,这与我们的实际商业模式相去甚远,最终只会毁掉一切。
It just turned out that what they actually wanted to do was dictate what we could cover and try to make us ESPN, which was so far away from the functional business model that it was just gonna destroy the whole thing.
这种脱节是从哪里来的?
Where where did that disconnect come from?
对新闻室的这种微观管理?
That micromanaging of the newsroom?
他们是真的想控制你们能报道什么内容吗?
Like, did they actually want to dictate what you could cover?
还是说这只是因为这个小部件看起来最受欢迎,所以就多做这个小部件,少做那个其他小部件?
Or was that a function of this widget appears to be the most popular widget and make more of that widget and less of this other widget?
不是。
No.
如果他们至少是基于任何实际数据来做决策,我会开心得多。
I would have been much happier if it was going on any metric at all.
但就在第一天,我们就知道他们几乎没看过什么数据,只看过一些总体的数字和尽职调查材料。
But on literally on day one, you know, we knew they hadn't seen many of the numbers except sort of top line numbers and diligence.
他们一进来就说:你们得停止报道所有与体育无关的内容。
And they came in and said, well, you guys need to stop covering everything that's not sports.
我最初的反应是尽量保持宽容,就说:哦,是的。
And my first reaction was sort of I was trying to be generous, and I said, oh, yeah.
你知道吗,这太讽刺了。
You know, it's so funny.
你可能会这么想,但事实上,我们做的非体育内容只占总量的10%左右,却比体育内容的表现高出两倍。
You would think that, but actually, non sports content, which was about 10% of what we did, outperforms sports content by two to one.
我以为这会终止讨论,因为谁不想做那些数据表现更好的内容呢?
Expecting that that would shut down the conversation, because why wouldn't you want to do the thing that does better on the metrics?
对吧?
Right?
他们说,我们不在乎。
They said, we don't care.
你们得把非体育内容都取消掉。
You're getting rid of the non sports content.
我认为,他们的真正目标是成为ESPN。
And I think, really, their goal was to be ESPN.
你知道吗,他们说的另一件立刻要做的事,就是希望我们在网站顶部显示比分提示。
You know, one of the other immediate things they said was they wanted us to run score bugs along the top of the website.
我当时试图解释,没人会来Deadspin.com查看昨晚棒球比赛谁赢了。
And I was trying to explain, nobody comes to deadspin.com to check who won the baseball games last night.
这跟我们的定位相差太远了。
That is just so far from what we do.
他们说,对。
And they said, right.
但我们想要更多的读者。
But we want more readers.
我说,好啊。
I was like, great.
我能想到很多办法来增加读者数量。
I can think of all sorts of ways to get more readers.
但增加读者的方法不是去跟ESPN竞争。
But the way to get more readers is not to try to compete with ESPN.
他们会说,那为什么我们不能跟ESPN竞争呢?
And they would say things like, well, why can't we compete with ESPN?
我当时试图向他们解释媒体商业模式的基本原理,甚至直接说,比如,ESPN拥有NBA比赛的转播权,而我们没有。
And I was trying to explain the very basics of media business models to them, and literally saying things like, so for example, ESPN has rights to NBA games, which we do not have.
他们好像从未想过这一点。
And it was like they had never thought of that before.
真正让人抓狂的是,这并不是什么‘新闻纯粹性’的问题,好像我们创造了一件神圣不可侵犯的东西。
So that was what was really maddening about it, was it there was not like, you know, a journalistic purity thing where I was like, you could just can't touch this precious thing we've created.
我们确实想赚更多钱,也觉得自己知道一些赚钱的方法,本以为精明的商业人士能提出比我们更好的点子。
We wanted to make more money, and we felt like we knew some ways to make more money, and that smart business guys would bring better ideas than what we had.
但结果却完全荒谬到我们根本无法理解。
But instead, it just, like, was so nonsensical that we couldn't even follow.
难怪那位体育记者会写一本关于私募股权的书,就是从那一刻开始的。
It does feel like why did the sports journalist write a book about private equity comes from that moment.
对吧?
Right?
因为私募股权公司只想提高回报率,而他们用来提高回报的手段,往往与企业本身是否更盈利毫无关系。
Because the private equity company just wants to increase returns and they have a lot of moves to increase returns that have nothing to do with the businesses themselves being more profitable.
是的。
Yes.
在那段时间里,这种脱节对你来说变得非常明显。
Feels like that disconnect became really apparent to you during this time.
对我来说非常明显。
Really apparent to me.
我当时对私募股权如何运作一无所知,只知道它可能很糟糕这种模糊的概念。
And I knew nothing about how private equity worked other than a vague kind of it can be bad sort of thing.
你知道,到那时,奥尔登全球资本在媒体界已经成了一个恐怖的象征。
You know, Alden Global Capital in media had already become a boogeyman by then.
但那时我职业生涯中已经报道过很多事情,却从未报道过商业领域,也不了解这究竟是怎么运作的。
But I had covered a lot of things in my career by then, but I had never covered business, didn't know how this worked.
他们的激励机制与他们所运营的公司的激励机制不同,这让我感到非常困惑。
And it was just very confusing to me that their incentives would be different than the incentives of the company they were running.
当我开始更多地阅读相关资料后,我逐渐明白了,是的,由于金融化策略,他们的激励机制确实完全不同。
And as I started reading more about it, I began to understand, yeah, that because of financialization tactics, they are just different incentives.
对吧?
Right?
所以他们可以在不使公司本身成功的情况下,从收购的公司中赚取大量利润。
And so they can make a lot of money off of a company they acquire without making the company itself successful.
谈谈金融化吧。
Talk about financialization for a minute.
这个节目,我认为总体上是同情那些努力做事的人的。
This show is, I would say, broadly sympathetic to people who are trying to do stuff.
这正是我们在这里所做的。
It's kinda what we do here.
我们与人们交谈,探讨他们所做的决定以及他们这样做的原因。
We we talk to people about the decisions they make and why they make them.
而其中隐含的一个假设是,他们试图做的是打造优质产品或经营优秀公司。
And, you know, there is an underlying assumption in that that what they're trying to do is make good products or run good companies.
制作人和我总是开玩笑说,创始人是我们节目中最有意思的人。
The producers and I are always joking that the founders are the most interesting people we have on the show.
是的。
Yeah.
因为他们似乎真的在乎,你知道,那些人和我们有时遇到的那些麦肯锡式机器人CEO完全不同。
Because they seem to care, you know, like, right there there's something else happening with with those folks versus the sort of McKinsey robots that we sometimes get as the CEOs.
完全正确。
Totally.
但我们的假设是,他们真的在努力经营自己的公司。
But the assumption is they're actually trying to run their companies.
而这是这个节目赖以建立的一个基本假设。
And that's a pretty base assumption that this show is founded on.
而你所描述的另一种情况是金融化,其目的根本不是经营公司。
And then there's this other thing you're describing, financialization, where the the point is not to run the company.
是的。
Yeah.
而这是一种无处不在的体系。
And that is a system that is everywhere.
这就像美国经济中的一片无形云团,而你直接撞上了它。
It's it's like an invisible cloud for the American economy, and you ran right into it.
稍微谈一谈这个吧。
Talk about that a little bit.
人们经常混淆的一个问题是,他们把风险投资和私募股权混为一谈。
One frequent confusion that people have is that they mix up venture capital and private equity.
在我看来,它们是完全对立的,因为风险投资尽管有缺陷,但其核心是投资于正在创造东西的人。
And to me, they are so diametrically opposed because venture capital, you know, faults though it has, the point is to invest in people who are making something.
对吧?
Right?
核心是给创始人提供资金。
The point is give the founders the money.
私募股权则恰恰相反,首先,你并不是在投资。
Private equity is sort of the opposite because, a, you're not investing.
你通常是直接收购公司。
You're buying companies outright, typically.
但另一方面,在很多情况下,你赚钱的方式与制造产品毫无关系。
But, b, the ways you make money just don't have anything to do with making the product in a lot of cases.
所以金融化可以指很多事物,但本质上,它意味着你赚钱不是靠制造产品,而是靠钱生钱。
So financialization can mean any number of things, but but at its core, what it means is you're making money not from making the thing, you're making money from making money.
你是在投资资金。
You're investing the money.
你是在出售房地产,这在私募股权中是很常见的做法。
You're selling off the real estate, which is a big thing in private equity.
你是在收取管理费。
You're collecting your management fees.
你进行战略投资,将一个基金的资产出售给另一个基金,以获取股息。
You're making strategic investments and selling things from one of your funds to another one of your funds to collect the dividends.
这个游戏的本质 simply 就是赚钱。
It's really the game is simply making money.
这个游戏的目的不是通过产品、服务或其他任何东西来赚钱。
The game is not making money off of a product or a service or whatever.
在过去三五十年里,美国经济曾出现过一个或多个转折点,从以产品闻名的实业家,转向了那些靠拥有大量财富来赚钱的亿万富翁。
There's a moment or maybe several moments for the last thirty to fifty years where the American economy shifted from industrialists and people who are known for their products to billionaires who are who make money by having a lot of money.
你会如何描述这些转折点?
What would you describe those moments as?
私募股权的兴起始于六十年代。
So the rise of private equity started in the sixties.
但在六十年代,它主要是收购企业。
But in the sixties, it was sort of taking over companies.
许多家族企业被称为‘杠杆收购交易’,你收购那些有潜力扩张但缺乏资金的家族企业。
A lot of family run companies, they called them bootstrap deals, where you would take over a family run company that showed the potential to expand, but didn't have the capital to expand.
因此,它最初几乎类似于我们现在所理解的风险投资的理念。
And so it did start almost from what we now think of as a VC type of ethos.
到了七十年代和八十年代,私募股权变成了另一种完全不同的形态。
And then in the seventies and eighties, private equity turned into this different beast.
KKR(科尔伯格-克拉维斯-罗伯茨)的崛起,是这一波金融化浪潮和私募股权兴起的重要时刻。
The rise of KKR, Kohlberg, Kravis, and Roberts was a big moment for this wave of financialization and for the rise of private equity.
所以,他们说,太好了。
So essentially, they said, great.
让我们把这些小型的杠杆收购交易,扩展到巨大的公司。
Let's take these little bootstrap deals, and let's take them to massive, massive companies.
对吧?
Right?
因此,《门口的野蛮人》——在我看来,可能是有史以来最好的商业书籍——记录了KKR主导的雷诺兹-纳贝斯克交易,这是有史以来最大的杠杆收购案。
And so, Barbarians at the Gate, you know, to my mind, maybe the best business book ever written, chronicles the RJR Nabisco deal, which was a KKR deal, and which was the largest leveraged buyout ever completed.
我认为,这是一个关键时刻,其他人都看着KKR的做法,说:哦,我们也能这么做。
And I think that was a huge moment where all of these other folks looked at what KKR was doing and said, oh, we can do that.
这能让我们赚大钱。
And that will make us a ton of money.
而且,你知道,公司是否盈利其实根本无关紧要。
And it you know, again, it really doesn't matter if the company is making money.
他们已经破解了用钱生钱的密码。
They've sort of cracked the code of just using money to make money.
因此,我认为KKR的崛起可能是私募股权历史上最重要的时刻,同时也为金融化浪潮定下了基调。
And so I think that that rise of KKR was probably the most important moment in private equity history, but also in sort of setting the tone for everything is financialization.
科赫伯格、克拉维斯和罗伯茨是三个人,其中一人比另外两人年长一代。
Kohlberg, Kravus, and Roberts was three guys, one of whom was a generation older than the other two.
他最终离开了自己共同创立的公司,因为他发现另外两位联合创始人在进行敌意收购和其他交易时太过无情,只是为了自己赚钱,常常以被收购公司的利益为代价。
And he ended up leaving the company he co founded because he he found that his other two co founders were far too ruthless in terms of the types of hostile takeovers and other deals that they would do, you know, just to make money for themselves, often at the expense of the company they were buying.
为了帮助理解,这是那个狂飙突进的八十年代。
Just to put this in context, this is the go go eighties.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
企业掠夺者。
Corporate Raiders.
没错。
Yeah.
这就是企业掠夺者。
This is Corporate Raiders.
这就是纽约市的大豪华轿车,一切的一切。
This is big limousines in New York City, the the whole thing.
并非毫无原因。
Not for nothing.
这就是电影《华尔街》。
This is the movie Wall Street.
贪婪即正义。
Greed is good.
《华尔街》讲述的是一次对航空公司的杠杆收购。
Wall Street is about a leveraged buyout of an airline.
这与剧情关系不大,但这是这部电影核心的商业交易。
It's very incidental to the plot, but that is the the business deal at the heart of that movie.
这就是唐纳德·特朗普的出身背景。
This is where Donald Trump comes from.
对吧?
Right?
这就是塑造了唐纳德·特朗普世界观的环境,在他眼中,一切皆为交易,一切皆为零和游戏。
This is the milieu that produces Donald Trump in his worldview where everything is a transaction and everything is zero sum.
你能像我这样清晰地把这些点联系起来吗?
Can you connect those dots as clearly as I'm connecting them?
因为这个特朗普政府在很多方面感觉又回到了八十年代。
Because this Trump administration in many way feels like the eighties again.
虽然表面有了现代的包装,但那种世界观似乎依然延续。
There's there's a modern gloss on it, but that worldview seems to persist.
是的。
Yes.
当然。
Absolutely.
而且,你知道,唐纳德·特朗普本人显然不是私募股权人士,但他是个房地产商人。
And, you know, Donald Trump himself, obviously not a private equity guy, but what he is is a real estate guy.
而且,你知道,大型企业房地产与私募股权之间的结合一直非常紧密。
And the marriage between, you know, big corporate real estate and private equity has always been extremely tight knit.
对吧?
Right?
唐纳德·特朗普身边很多亲近的人一直都是私募股权人士。
A lot of the people in Donald Trump's close orbit have always been private equity guys.
我认为你说得对,那种心态就是别管其他任何事。
I think you're right that that ethos of just don't worry about anything else.
别担心任何后续影响。
Don't worry about any downstream effects.
就是只管此刻做我们想做的事,从不考虑后果。
Like, just do what we want to do in this exact moment without ever thinking about ramifications.
是的。
Yeah.
这确实把他们紧密地联系在了一起。
It it very much unites them.
那确实就是八十年代纽约的同一个世界。
And that really was all the same world in New York in the eighties, for sure.
自八十年代的纽约以来,发生了许多变化。
Many things have happened since New York in eighties and and now.
其中之一是科技公司的崛起。
Among them, the rise of the tech companies.
其中之一是2008年的金融危机。
Among them, the two thousand eight financial crisis.
在零利率环境下,大量资金四处流动,催生了优步和爱彼迎这样的公司。
There was a lot of free money floating around in a in a zero interest rate environment that created companies like Uber and Airbnb.
这似乎也加速并使私募股权更加激进。
It seems like that also accelerated and made private equity more aggressive.
这一点可能被低估了,相比起众多科技公司的存在。
And that maybe is underrated compared to, well, a bunch of tech companies exist.
我认为这是对的。
I do think that's right.
我认为私募股权一直流向资金便宜且行业存在盈利机会的地方,而这并不一定意味着这些行业是增长型行业。
I think private equity has always gone where money is cheap and where industries show an opportunity for them to make money, which again, does not necessarily mean the industry is a growth industry.
对吧?
Right?
所以,想想住房与医疗保健这些行业,我在我的书里都提到过。
And so, you think about industries like housing and healthcare, both of which I cover in my book.
这些行业由于各种政策变化,导致了大量廉价资金的流入。
And those were industries where it was just like policy changes of various types led to a lot of cheap money.
对私募股权来说,这简直就是黄金机会。
And for private equity, that just looked like gold.
对吧?
Right?
因此,创造优步、爱彼迎等公司的那种环境,与2010年代私募股权大幅增长的条件完全相同,如今则演变为私募股权在某些特定行业中吞噬一切的局面。
And so that world that created Uber, Airbnb, etcetera, very much is the same conditions that caused this huge growth in private equity throughout the twenty tens, and has culminated for the moment in where we are now, which is just, you know, private equity devouring everything in a certain set of industries.
上个月有一项研究指出,私募股权公司如今拥有美国约10%的公寓。
There was a study last month that said private equity firms now own about 10% of all apartments in The US.
在多个大都市地区,这一比例超过了25%甚至超过30%。
And in several metropolitan areas, it's over 25 or even over 30%.
你可以从房利美和房地美获得低成本资金,这是一个有意为之的政策决定,旨在惠及低收入和中等收入购房者,确实帮助了许多这类人群,同时也为私募股权公司带来了源源不断的资金。
And that is a result of you can get cheap money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and that was a deliberate policy decision, right, that was intended to benefit low and middle income homebuyers and did benefit many of those people and also meant that there was just this fountain of money for private equity firms.
我们需要短暂休息一下。
We have to take a short break.
马上回来。
We'll be right back.
一些来自明尼阿波利斯的视频讲述了一个故事,关于自雷妮·古德被杀后,移民与海关执法局特工数量激增的情况。
Some of this video coming out of Minneapolis is telling a story about the surge of ICE agents that started last week after Renee Goode was killed.
又有一段关于移民与海关执法局的争议性视频流出。
Another controversial video has emerged of ICE.
结果发现,被逮捕的人都是美国公民。
It turns out the people being arrested were US citizens.
这些观察者确保孩子们能安全步行回家,而不被我们这里可怕的盖世太保抓走。
These are observers making sure that kids can walk home from school without being taken apart by the horrible gestapo that we have here.
一群男子在公交站台接近一名女子,将她拉到一旁,然后带她上了车。
A group of men approached a woman at a bus stop, pulled her aside, and then walked her into a vehicle.
民意调查也在讲述一个故事。
The polling is also telling a story.
对移民与海关执法局的支持率正在下降,高达46%的美国人——比以往任何时候都多——告诉益普索经济学家调查人员,他们希望废除移民与海关执法局。
Support for ICE is dropping, and more Americans than ever before, 46%, told economist YouGov pollsters they want ICE abolished.
与此同时,白宫的表态是移民与海关执法局享有豁免权。
Meanwhile, the messaging from the White House is that ICE has immunity.
那么,这对那些被移民与海关执法局特工从汽车、工作场所和明尼阿波利斯街头拖走的人——其中一些还是美国公民——意味着什么?
So what does that mean for the people, some of them citizens, that ICE agents are dragging out of cars and workplaces and off of streets around Minneapolis.
这将在《今日解析》节目中播出。
That's on Today Explained.
我们每天工作日播出。
We air every weekday.
这
This
本周,我与职业生涯导师、Wansulting联合创始人杰里·李聊天,他离开谷歌,帮助数百万人找到理想的工作。
week, I'm chatting with Jerry Lee, the career wizard and co founder of Wansulting who left Google to help millions land their dream jobs.
杰里直言不讳地揭穿了那些让你陷入贫困的职业迷思,解释了为什么六位数收入可能不再像以前那样令人羡慕,以及在这个令人不安的就业市场中,如果你对求职感到畏惧,现在必须立即采取的三个具体步骤。
Jerry gets brutally honest about the career myths that are keeping you broke, why 6 figures may not be the flex it used to be, and the exact three steps you need to take right now if you're dreading your job search in this spooky market.
此外,他还透露了他见过的最糟糕的简历、他最重要的金钱教训,以及为什么他愿意向350万粉丝免费提供职业资源,而不是对所有内容收费。
Plus, he's spilling the tea on the worst resumes he's ever seen, his biggest money lesson, and why he's giving away free career resources to his 3,500,000 followers when he could be charging for everything.
无论你是希望锁定晋升机会、转行到新领域,还是终于实现六位数收入,杰里都会为你剖析真正有效的实战策略。
Whether you're hoping to lock in that promotion, pivot to something new, or finally crack 6 figures, Jerry's breaking down the real strategies that actually work.
准备好进行一场坦诚直率的对话,了解如何在2026年构建你真正想要的职业生涯和银行账户。
Get ready for an unfiltered conversation about building the career and the bank account you actually want in 2026.
你可以在任何播客平台收听,或在youtube.com/yourrichbff观看视频。
Listen wherever you get your podcasts or watch on youtube.com/yourrichbff.
Decoder节目由QUO赞助。
Support for Decoder comes from QUO.
如果你是企业,沟通在吸引和留住新客户方面至关重要。
If you're a business, communication is key when it comes to finding and keeping new customers.
因此,当沟通出现问题时,就意味着你的钱在流失。
So when communication breaks down, that means it's money out of your pocket.
Quo,拼写为 q u o,是一个企业电话系统,确保你永远不会错过与客户联系的机会。
Quo, spelled q u o, is a business phone system that makes sure you never miss an opportunity to connect with your customers.
Quo 让你能在同一个清晰的界面中查看来电、短信、语音邮件、转录内容和联系人信息。
Quo lets you see calls, texts, voicemails, transcripts, and contact details all in one clean view.
这意味着你的团队沟通更迅速、保持步调一致,并提供更个性化的体验。
That means your team communicates faster, stays aligned, and delivers a more personal experience.
需要随时随地使用 Quo 吗?
Need Quo on the go?
你可以直接通过手机或电脑上的应用使用 Quo,无论你在哪儿都能掌控你的沟通。
You can use Quo right from an app on your phone or computer so you can stay on top of your communications wherever you are.
此外,你的整个团队可以共享一个号码,并像使用共享收件箱一样协作处理来电和短信。
Plus, your whole team can share one number and collaborate on calls and texts like a shared inbox.
Quo 的人工智能会自动记录通话、生成摘要并标出下一步行动,确保不会遗漏任何重要信息。
Quo's AI automatically logs calls, generates summaries, and highlights next steps so nothing gets lost.
它甚至可以筛选潜在客户或在非工作时间回复,确保您的业务即使在您下线时也能保持响应。
It can even qualify leads or respond after hours, ensuring your business stays responsive even when you're finally offline.
今年,您可以确保没有任何机会和任何客户流失。
You can make this the year where no opportunity and no customer slips away.
您可以免费试用 Quo,并在访问 quo.com/decoder 时享受前六个月 20% 的折扣。
You can try Quo for free, plus get 20% off your first six months when you go to quo.com/decoder.
网址是 quo.com/decoder。
That's quo.com/decoder.
Quo。
Quo.
不错过任何来电,不错过任何客户。
No missed calls, no missed customers.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
我正在与记者兼作家梅根·格林韦尔交谈。
I'm talking with journalist and author Megan Greenwell.
在广告中断前,我们正在广泛讨论私募股权,以及她的母公司被一家对旗下网站成功毫无兴趣的公司收购后,她对私募股权产生的兴趣。
Right before the break, we are speaking about private equity broadly and her interest in it after her parent company got bought by a firm that was less than interested in the success of the websites it owned.
这直接引导我们谈到了她的书。
And that led us directly into talking about her book.
这让我们自然而然地进入这本书的主题。
That brings us I think directly into the book.
你将这本书结构化为四个故事,分别涉及零售、医疗、媒体和住房领域的四个角色。
You have structured the book in a series of four stories, four characters in retail and healthcare and media and housing.
这些行业都因私募股权而彻底颠覆,而普通人也能切身感受到这种影响。
Those are all industries that have been just completely upended by private equity in ways that I think normal people can just feel.
对吧?
Right?
你作为消费者在零售店的体验,正受到私募股权的深刻影响,这种影响是你能明显感受到的。
Your experience as a consumer at a retail store is shaped by private equity in ways you can just feel.
尤其是在医疗领域,我想详细谈谈这一点。
Certainly in healthcare, which I wanna talk about it at length.
很多人已经谈过房地产领域的情况。
Lots of people have talked about it in housing.
我们周围随处可见媒体经济的废墟,尤其是报纸。
We can just see that wreckage of the media economy around us, particularly newspapers.
我在节目中听到的对私募股权的正面观点是,这些行业原本正在衰退,或者迟早会自行崩溃。
The pro case for private equity that I've heard on the show is these industries were failing or would have failed on their own.
私募股权公司进入后,对一些本将倒闭的企业施加了无情的运营模式。
The PE companies come in, they apply a ruthless operations model to some businesses that we're gonna go under.
他们榨取利润。
They extract the profits.
当然。
Sure.
也许他们还会私下做一些交易,以改善自身的财务状况。
Maybe they cut some some deals on the side to improve their own financial welfare.
但随后,这些精简高效的运营公司就能继续前行,做些事情。
But then you have these like lean mean operating companies that can go off and do things.
展开剩余字幕(还有 360 条)
嗯。
Mhmm.
那真的发生了吗?
Has that played out?
你看到那些成功的案例了吗?
Do you do you see those success stories?
我能想到一个?
I can I can think of one?
我不想透露出来。
I don't wanna give it away.
但你看到过其他成功的案例吗?
But have you seen other success stories?
当然。
Sure.
确实有一些成功的案例。
There are certainly success stories.
我不想说私募股权交易总是以失败告终。
I do not want to say that private equity deals always end badly.
那当然不是事实。
That is certainly not the case.
私募股权的主要游说团体喜欢引用这个统计数据。
The private equity's main lobbying group loves to cite the statistic.
我记不清确切的数字了,但大多数私募股权交易实际上都是针对小型家族企业。
I forget the exact number, but the majority of private equity deals are actually for small family run companies.
据我所知,这一点确实是真实的。
And that is, a, true, as best I can tell.
而且,更重要的是,这些交易的成功率高于大型公司的交易。
And b, it is also true that more of those deals are successful than is true for the biggest companies.
对吧?
Right?
在我的书中,我确实聚焦于那些更灾难性的案例。
And I do focus on the more disastrous stories in my book.
虽然大多数交易都是针对小公司的,但大部分资金都流向了大公司。
While it is true that most deals are for small companies, the most of the money is for the big companies.
对吧?
Right?
因此,规模更大的杠杆收购对员工数量、整个社会等各方面的影响都要大得多。
And so the larger leveraged buyouts just have much greater effects on the number of workers, our society at large, all of those things.
而这些交易往往结果最差。
And those deals tend to have the worst outcomes.
对吧?
Right?
被私募股权收购的企业中,破产的数量是其他类型企业的十倍。
So 10 times as many businesses acquired by private equity declare bankruptcy as other types of businesses.
这是一个难以反驳的统计数据。
So that is just a statistic that is hard to argue with.
并不是说私募股权从来都不奏效。
It's not that private equity never works.
问题是,当核心理念是不惜一切代价不断变大、吞噬越来越大的事物时,就会出现一个问题:更多人受到负面影响,结果也往往更糟。
It's that when the ethos is you get bigger and bigger and bigger at all costs, and you devour bigger and bigger and bigger things, then you start to end up with a problem where more people are negatively affected and the results tend to be a lot worse.
让我们从这个角度谈谈医疗保健。
Let's talk about health care in that context.
你书里有一句话让我印象深刻:社区需要企业。
You have a line in the book that is really stuck with me that communities need businesses.
对吧?
Right?
社区中拥有商业活动本身就带来了巨大的价值。
There's some enormous value that just having commerce in your community provides.
对吧?
Right?
它让社区充满活力。
It makes a community vibrant.
它让人们感受到彼此的归属。
It makes people feel like they belong together.
人们可能会在自己社区里的企业与这些企业的经营者之间建立一种关系。
There's a relationship people might have between the businesses in their community and themselves, people who run those businesses.
医疗保健在很大程度上也是社区的一部分。
Healthcare is part of that community in like a huge way.
将医疗保健商品化,使其成为一种工业产品,这是私募股权规模给美国带来的系统性变革。
Commodifying that and making that an industrial product, that's a systematic change that private equity scale has brought to America.
嗯。
Mhmm.
对吧?
Right?
这就是你所说的那笔钱。
And that that's the money you're talking about.
要彻底改变美国医疗保健的性质,需要大量的资金。
You need a lot of money to just wholesale change the nature of healthcare in America.
这笔钱已经到来,我们能感受到。
That money arrived, we can feel it.
我觉得现在人们真的能感受到这一点。
I think people can really feel it right now.
但并没有市场压力来改善它。
But there's no market pressure to make it better.
但让我最痛心的是,人人都知道它很糟糕。
But that's the thing that like kills me about it, is everyone knows it's bad.
在极资本主义的美国,提供更好的服务就能赚更多钱这一想法已经被彻底打断了。
And the idea that you could provide a better service in ultra capitalist America and make more money by providing a better service is just short circuited.
你认为为什么会这样?
Why do you think that is?
私人资本大量涌入医疗领域的一个原因,是《平价医疗法案》。
Part of the reason that a ton of private equity money flowed into health care in particular was the Affordable Care Act.
《平价医疗法案》当然为社会带来了诸多积极效益,尤其是对那些原本无法获得保险的人。
The Affordable Care Act obviously had all sorts of positive benefits for society, especially for people who couldn't get insurance otherwise.
它也意味着,私人资本公司又获得了一笔新的稳定资金来源。
It also meant, again, that there was a a new source of guaranteed money for private equity firms.
因为突然之间,最坏的情况是,政府将为更多人支付保险费用,而之前这些人是没保险的。
Because all of a sudden, you know, worst case scenario, like, the government's gonna pay a lot more people are insured than previously were.
因此,医疗保健的问题——这不是私人股权制造的问题——是每个人都需要它,但很多人付不起钱,而政府的报销又极其糟糕。
And so the problem of health care, which is not a problem that private equity created, is that everybody needs it, many people can't pay for it, the government reimburses terribly for it.
所以,从某种意义上说,这确实是一个破损的商业模式,如果有人真想解决这个问题,就必须彻底拆掉重来。
And so it really is a broken business model in a way that will require you know, if anybody ever gets serious about fixing it, will require tearing it down to the studs and starting over.
而这是一件非常困难的事情。
And that's a very difficult thing to do.
因此,私人股权公司合理地——在某种程度上——介入进来,说:好吧,这确实很糟糕,但我们看到了一种能让我们获利的方式。
And so private equity, you know, understandably to some extent, kind of came in and said, well, you know, this is real broken, but we see a way for it to work for us.
而对他们来说,所谓‘有利’通常意味着拆分资产的模式。
And working for them generally did mean kind of the stripping it for parts model.
你卖掉房地产,削减服务。
You sell off the real estate, you cut back the services.
因此,突然之间,我在书中聚焦于农村医院,那里的人们真的别无选择。
And so all of a sudden, you know, I focus on rural hospitals in the book, where people genuinely don't have other options.
当你不断削减他们当地医院本已有限的服务时,这对私募股权公司来说确实很好。
And that when you take away more and more and more of the services they do have at their local hospital, yeah, that's great for the private equity firm.
对吧?
Right?
这纯粹是在削减成本。
That's just cutting costs.
然后你无情地合并,以进一步降低成本。
And then you kind of ruthlessly consolidate to cut more costs.
如果人们连生孩子的地方都没有了,好吧,这很不幸,但事实就是这样。
And then, you know, if people don't have a place to deliver their baby anymore, okay, that's unfortunate, but here we are.
这回答了你的问题吗?
Did that actually answer your question?
是的,回答了。
It did.
你知道,我父母是八十年代威斯康星州小镇上的医生。
You know, my parents were small town doctors in Wisconsin in the eighties.
我妹妹现在是一名医生。
My sister's a doctor now.
我之所以关注社区和企业,是因为上世纪八十年代威斯康星州小镇上他们工作的医院本身就是社区的一部分。
The the reason that I focused on communities and businesses is the hospitals they worked at in small town Wisconsin in the eighties were just part of the community.
是的。
Yeah.
对吧?
Right?
我们镇上每个人都是在两家医院之一出生的,圣玛丽医院或圣卢克医院,人们都会谈论这些事。
Everyone was born in my town at one of the two hospitals, St.
圣玛丽医院或圣卢克医院,人们都会谈论这些事。
Mary's or St.
人们都会谈论这些事。
Luke's and people talked about it.
我不知道为什么会有这种竞争,但确实存在竞争。
And I don't know why that was a rivalry, but it was a rivalry.
就像小镇上总是会形成竞争一样。
Like in the way that small towns just create rivalries.
而如今,所有这些都被合并成了庞大的企业实体。
And then all of those things are merged into giant corporate entities now.
这正是我父母职业生涯的经历。
And that has been the experience of my parents' career.
我妹妹的诊所被一家私募股权公司收购了。
My sister, her practice was bought by a PE company.
每当我们做一期关于私募股权的节目,都会收到医生发来的邮件,说你们根本不了解情况有多糟。
Every time we do an episode about PE, we get emails from doctors saying you don't understand how bad it is.
是啊。
Yeah.
对吧?
Right?
我们已经将医疗操作化并提高了效率,但这种方式实际上让行医变得几乎难以持续。
We have operationalized and added efficiency to medicine in a way that has actually made the practice of medicine almost untenable.
嗯。
Mhmm.
就像人们并不喜欢做这件事。
Like people do not like doing it.
你在书中非常清晰地描述了这一点,这种直白的表述我从未在其他人那里见过。
And you you describe it very clearly in the book in a way that I don't think I've seen anybody just straight up describe it.
你说人们并不把医生当作劳动者,而私募股权却把他们变成了劳动者。
You say people don't think of doctors as workers and private equity has made them workers.
他们依然拥有医生的社会地位,也仍然是医生,但私募股权使他们变成了劳动者。
They they still have the status and they're still doctors, but PE has made them workers.
谈谈这一点吧。
Talk about that a little bit.
这听起来是不是很诱人?
Is that does that seem tantal?
因为作为医生已经很难了,而还要再当一个机器的雇员,这真的很难受。
Because it's really hard to be a doctor and then to be a doctor and then to feel like an employee of a machine.
这从我自己的家庭经历以及每次我们做私募股权专题时收到的读者来信来看,都是令人不安的。
It it's destabilizing just from the experiences I've had with my own family and from the people that write in every time we do a PE episode.
我书中聚焦的那位医生来自怀俄明州的一个小镇,他之所以选择从事社区医学,是因为他深爱的叔叔——他的榜样——就是一位社区医生。
The doctor I focus on in the book, who is in small town Wyoming, he wanted to go into community medicine because his beloved uncle, who was his role model, was a community doctor.
他的叔叔是在三四十年代、五十年代当社区医生的,那时候当社区医生意味着你只是为自己工作。
And his uncle was a community doctor in, like, you know, the thirties, forties, fifties, at a time when being a community doctor meant you just worked for yourself.
对吧?
Right?
你可以自行定价。
You could set whatever prices you wanted.
如果市场能承受,那就没问题;如果不能,那就接受现实。
If the market would bear them, the market would bear them.
如果不行,就自己想办法。
If not, deal with it.
你可以以物易物,比如为付不起钱的人提供治疗,你可以自由做出任何选择。
You could barter, you know, you could treat people who couldn't afford to pay, whatever choices you wanted to make.
随着美国医学的专业化,所有人都被纳入了医院和诊所体系。
And then as medicine in The US professionalized, everybody got pulled into the kind of hospital and clinic system.
当私募股权进入后,医生们就彻底失去了任何自主权。
And then when private equity came in, you know, it was just game over for doctors having any autonomy to themselves.
我觉得特别有趣的一点是,这并不仅仅是私募股权的问题。
And one thing that I think is really interesting is that it's not actually just private equity.
对吧?
Right?
比如学术医学,我丈夫从事学术医学,也采用了同样的无情整合理念。
So academic medicine, my husband works in academic medicine, uses that same philosophy of ruthless consolidation as well.
书中讲了一个关于耶鲁大学的故事,它收购了康涅狄格州各地的所有机构。
There's a story in the book about Yale, which just bought up everything across Connecticut.
你看到的结果是,患者满意度大幅下降,而患者支付的费用却大幅上升。
And what you saw was patient satisfaction went way down, and the costs patients pay went way up.
这就是耶鲁。
That's Yale.
对吧?
Right?
从某种意义上说,这与私募股权运营的医院正好相反。
That's, in some sense, the opposite of a private equity run hospital.
但问题都是一样的。
But it's all the same problems.
哈佛医院的医生,尤其是内科医生,目前正在组织工会,因为他们工作过度、毫无自主权,已经受够了。
The doctors at Harvard's hospitals, the internists are unionizing right now because they're so overworked, they don't have any autonomy, and they're just sick of it.
因此,虽然私募股权并没有创造这些问题,但它确实利用并加剧了这些问题,把医生变成了机器中的一个齿轮,就像多年来他们对待零售员工那样。
And so, though private equity didn't create these problems, it certainly took advantage and made doctors into a cog in the machine in the same way that they had, for years, treated retail workers, for example, as cogs in the machine.
所以,是的,医生们非常愤怒。
And so, yeah, doctors are furious.
他们也是我听到最多的群体。
They're the most common group of people I hear from too.
现在有大量医生团体正试图组织起来对抗私募股权。
There are all these groups of doctors wanting to organize against private equity.
让我觉得有趣的是,这些医生并不都是左翼人士。
And what's interesting to me is, like, these are not all leftist doctors.
其中很多人认为,工会对于医生来说恰恰是错误的解决方案。
These are a lot of folks who think that, you know, unions are exactly the wrong answer for doctors, for example.
但有一种共识是,我们或许在解决方案上意见不一,但我们都一致认为,私募股权是敌人,无论我们个人的政治立场如何。
But there is this current of we may not all agree on the solutions, but we are completely unanimous that private equity is the enemy, whatever our individual politics.
这种动态对我来说非常有趣。
That dynamic is super interesting to me.
你有一群受过极高教育、相当富裕的人,政治观点截然不同,但他们都能看清问题所在。
That you have this class of ultra educated, pretty wealthy people, wildly divergent political views and they can see the problem.
让我感到困惑的是,理论上应该存在系统性和市场性的纠正机制来解决这个问题。
And the thing that gets me is there are supposed to be systemic and market correctives to the problem.
比如,医生的数量根本不够。
Like there aren't enough doctors.
光是这一点就应该能解决这个问题,对吧?
That alone should solve the problem, right?
市场本应响应稀缺劳动力的需求,但这种机制却被打断了。
Like the market should be receptive to the needs of the scarce labor and that is short circuited.
我不太明白为什么会这样。
And I I kinda don't know why.
我在科技行业能看到这种情况,比如你是AI工程师,你就有一艘大船,你知道的。
Like I can see it in tech, if you're an AI engineer, like you get a boat, you know.
是的。
Yeah.
市场对招募和留住这类稀缺人才非常积极。
The market is ultra receptive to recruiting and retaining that talent because it's scarce.
但在医疗市场中,感觉几乎恰恰相反。
And in the healthcare market, it it's it feels almost as though it's the opposite.
也不会突然冒出大量新医生。
And there's not some big supply of new doctors that's gonna show show up.
我们肯定不会像七八十年代对待我父母那样,大规模引进医生了。
We're certainly not gonna immigrate them like they did with my parents in the seventies and eighties.
你认为为什么医疗保健领域会如此脱节?
Why do you think that's been so short circuited in health care?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,有几个原因。
I mean, there are a couple of reasons.
一个是,医生的数量受到限制,因为联邦政府严格限制了住院医师培训名额的数量。
One is that there's an imposed limit on how many doctors there can be because there's an imposed limit literally imposed by the federal government on the number of residency slots.
对吧?
Right?
所以医生确实短缺,但同时也确实存在很多人在争夺这些有限的住院医师名额。
So there is a shortage of doctors, but it is also true that, like, you have everybody fighting for this number of of residency slots.
但另一点是,医疗保健行业在很多方面都打破了我们对自由市场经济规则的认知。
But the other thing is, like, healthcare is an industry that breaks what we think of as the rules of free market capitalism in so many ways.
因为政府的介入比许多其他行业都要多。
Because of there's there's more government involvement than in a lot of industries.
但还因为有一本书,堪称美国医学作为商业的权威历史著作。
But also because there's this book that is, like, the definitive history of American medicine as a business.
这本书叫《美国医学的社会转型》。
It's called The Social Transformation of American Medicine.
作者是普林斯顿大学的一位名叫保罗·斯塔尔的教授,出版于八十年代。
It's by this Princeton professor named Paul Star, and it came out in the eighties.
我是在2022年偶然拿到这本书的,原本以为它会显得非常过时。
I picked it up in, like, 2022 expecting it to feel incredibly dated.
但事实上,它却显得异常前瞻,因为它逐条追溯了我们如何从医生为本地社区提供诊疗的体系,逐步演变为如今专业医院兴起的模式。
And in fact, it felt so prescient because it traced exactly step by step how we went from this system of doctors treating their own communities to, okay, now we're starting to get professional hospitals.
这很好。
That's great.
我们能够挽救更多生命。
We're able to save more lives.
但与此同时,我们却将医生纳入了这个体系,却没有认真思考如何设计一个合理的系统。
But also, now we're putting doctors into this system without really thinking about how do we design a system that makes sense.
所以从一开始,这个系统就彻底出了问题。
And so from the very beginning, it was super broken.
对吧?
Right?
这个系统从未真正运行良好过,我们不可能说:让我们回到过去那种状态。
There was never a time where this system worked well, and we could just say, like, let's go back to that.
这对我来说很棘手,因为我并不认为私募股权是美国医疗体系的好模式。
It's a tricky one to me because I don't think private equity is a good system for American medicine.
而且,我真的不知道除了彻底推倒重来之外,还有什么解决办法。
And also, I truly don't know what the solve is without, like I say, ripping it down to the studs and starting over.
这是一种政治解决方案,一种监管解决方案。
That's a political solution, a regulatory solution.
有很多关于医疗政策的播客,人们可以去听。
There are many podcasts about health care policy that people can go listen to.
但在这个节目、这个语境下,2025年,我们似乎不得不讨论另一个看似存在的缓解途径——联合健康集团的首席执行官布莱恩·汤普森在纽约街头遭枪击。
But it feels like for this show in this context in 2025, we have to talk about the other relief valve that appears to exist, which is Brian Thompson, the CEO of United Healthcare was shot on the street in New York City.
路易斯·吉曼尼奥目前正在服刑,等待审判,他被指控涉嫌谋杀。
Louis Gimangione is in prison awaiting his trial for for what appears to be that murder.
这是一个非常糟糕的结果。
That is a very bad outcome.
你不希望政治暴力成为纠正私营股权投资在医疗保健领域乃至其他任何地方过度行为的手段。
You don't want what feels like political violence to correct the the excesses of the private equity market in healthcare or really anywhere else.
这个行业是否意识到:我们压榨得太厉害了,以至于街头发生了枪击事件。
Has the industry seen, oh, this is we've squeezed it so hard that there are shootings in the street.
这让人感觉,好吧。
That feels like, okay.
是时候拉下紧急拉杆,真正思考一下这些后果了。
Like, it's time to pull the ripcord and maybe actually think about the outcomes here.
这是一个非常有趣的问题。
It's such an interesting question.
据我所知,医疗界对这起枪击事件的主要反应是:我们得加强安保。
What I understand to have been the main reaction in health care circles to that shooting was, you know, let's get more security.
让我们确保这些人得到更好的保护。
Let's make sure these people are better protected.
而不是我们可能需要改变系统,让愤怒不再如此明显。
Not maybe we need to change the system so the anger isn't so palpable.
我还想谈谈私募股权,还有布莱恩·汤普森——他不是私募股权人士,而是健康保险行业的,这些人因为很少有人了解他们的影响力,所以感觉更安全一些。
I also think talking about private equity specifically, and, you know, Brian Thompson, not a private equity guy, health insurance guy, those folks get to feel a little safer because of the knowledge that few people understand their influence.
对吧?
Right?
所以大多数人并不知道他们当地的医院是由私募股权公司运营的。
So most people do not know if their local hospital is run by a private equity company.
我接触过的大多数员工,大约几百人,都不知道自己的公司是由私募股权公司控股的,即使他们在那里工作了很多年。
Most of the workers I talked to, you know, a couple 100 people, didn't know that their company was owned by private equity, even if they had worked there for years.
因此,私募股权喜欢在暗处运作。
And so private equity loves to operate in the shadows.
当你开始思考,是的,这种愤怒是否强烈到会引发政治暴力?
And when you start to think about, like, yeah, is the anger so intense that it's going to result in political violence?
也许直到十二月,健康保险公司的高管们还觉得自己属于那个群体。
Maybe until December, health insurance executives felt like they were in that group.
但我认为,即使在布莱恩·汤普森遇害之后,私募股权高管们可能仍然觉得自己属于那个群体。
But I I think that private equity executives probably still feel like they're in that group even after the Brian Thompson shooting.
因为,你知道,谁能说出一个私募股权高管的名字?
Because, like, you know, who can name a private equity executive?
对吧?
Right?
嗯,任何人都可以。
Well, anyone.
你只要在纽约走一走。
You just walk around New York.
他们的名字出现在所有大楼上。
Their names turn all the buildings.
这没错。
That's true.
我的意思是,是的。
I mean, yes.
如果你足够关注任何艺术博物馆的董事会成员是谁,或者儿童医院是以谁命名的,等等,那确实是这样。
If you're paying enough attention to who's on the board of any art museum or who the children's hospital is named after or whatever, yes.
但你知道,我认为大多数人如果看到那边的克拉维斯儿童医院,也说不出亨利·克拉维斯是谁,以及他为什么重要。
But, you know, I don't think most people, if told, you know, see the Kravis Children's Hospital over there, could tell you who Henry Kravis is and why he matters.
对吧?
Right?
这里有一种有趣的分裂:一方面,我们把私募股权人士看作慈善家、文化机构的捐助者;另一方面,他们其实就是普通的私募股权人士。
There's like, this interesting divide between, like, our perception of private equity guys as philanthropists, benefactors of cultural institutions, all of that, and private equity guys as private equity guys.
所以,如果你不了解,我认为这正是私募股权的一个根本问题:没人明白他们是谁,以及他们如何运作。
And so if you don't know I think this is a real fundamental problem with private equity is that nobody understands who they are or how they work.
而这可能确实让他们在路易吉·曼乔内事件的时代获得了一点安全感。
And that probably does give them a little bit of a better sense of security in the age of Luigi Mangione.
但同时,你知道,他们带来的负面后果也很严重。
But also, you know, it's it's the negative outcomes there are pretty bad too.
我会说,出现在《解码者》节目的首席执行官们,亲自到场时的安全措施越来越多。
I will say that the CEOs who show up on Decoder, increasing amounts of security when they show up in person.
是啊,没错。
It is Oh, yeah.
这确实是我们观察到的一个明显趋势。
That is very much a trend that we have seen.
但我就是觉得我们的客户恨我们恨到极点,以至于有些人已经开始朝我们开枪了。
But I just feel like our customers hate us so much that some of them have started shooting us.
这是最后的市场修正吗?
Is the last market corrective?
对吧?
Right?
总得有什么事情发生,至少改变一下对话的基调。
Like, the the something has to happen there that at least changes the valence of the conversation.
而你说,对于私募股权来说,这种压力依然没有感受到。
And you're saying for PE, that pressure still isn't felt.
我觉得这种压力还没感受到。
I don't think it's felt.
没错。
No.
因为我根本不觉得私募股权人士意识到他们还没有受到严密关注。
Because I just don't think I think private equity guys know that they are not yet being super closely looked at.
即使你知道美国医疗体系已经严重崩溃,你也必须深入了解很多信息,才能判断哪些问题可以归咎于私募股权人士。
And even if you know that American health care is super broken, You just have to kind of understand a lot to understand which part of that you can attribute to private equity people.
健康保险公司的首席执行官,人人都讨厌他们的健康保险公司。
A health insurance CEO everybody hates their health insurance.
对吧?
Right?
所以我正在想,该怎么说才能不显得太糟糕。
So I'm trying to think of how to say this without sounding terrible.
但某种程度上,有人去针对健康保险公司的高管,虽然这很可怕,但对我来说并不那么意外,相比之下,如果有人去查一下,比如……
But like, it is less surprising on some level to me that somebody would go after a health insurance executive, as terrible as that is, than if somebody were to look up okay.
这个基金拥有我当地的医院。
So this fund owns my local hospital.
这个基金由一家私募股权公司运营。
This fund is run by x PE company.
这家私募股权公司由某些人管理。
This PE company is run by x people.
这正是他们做出的决策。
This is exactly what decisions they took.
存在一层层的空壳公司和基金,这些结构在一定程度上掩盖了真相,除非人们愿意花功夫去深入挖掘,否则很难看清——当然,除非是像我们这样疯狂、爱刨根问底的记者。
There is a level of shell companies and funds and all of this stuff that ends up disguising it a little bit from people who don't put in the work to, you know, really dig and who would, you know, unless they're crazy, nosy journalists like us.
这并不是说,医生被枪击的事件就没有发生过。
This is not to say Like, there have been doctor shootings too.
对吧?
Right?
因为有人手术出了问题,就有人跑去枪杀自己的医生。
Because somebody's surgery gets messed up and somebody goes and shoots their doctor.
但这种感觉要直接得多,我认为,健康保险公司的首席执行官也是如此,而不是像这个基金,它甚至比你医院的母公司还要高出三层。
But that feels so much more visceral, I think, as does a health insurance CEO, than, like, this fund three levels above even the parent company of your hospital does.
对我来说,真正有趣的是,今天我们所拥有的健康保险市场的形成条件,其实也高出三层。
To me, what's really interesting is that the conditions that create the health insurance market that we have today are three levels above.
这是 consolidation(整合)。
It is consolidation.
是的。
Yes.
这是成本控制。
It is cost control.
这是利润榨取。
It is profit extraction.
这一点似乎正变得越来越明显。
And that seems to be coming more apparent.
对吧?
Right?
我认为越来越多的人意识到,私募股权公司一出现,这些影响就会随之而来。
I think more and more people are aware that PE shows up and then these effects follow.
我认为越来越多的人意识到,玩具反斗城曾经是一家存在的公司,但现在已不复存在。
I think more and more people are aware that Toys R Us was a company that existed and no longer exists.
或者像红龙虾,他们试图把明显的问题归咎于无限量虾,但实际上是因为私募股权公司介入了。
Or like Red Lobster, they're trying to blame a very obvious thing on endless shrimp and actually it's the PE company showed up.
是的。
Yeah.
手工艺者们对Joanne Fabric超市气得发疯。
The crafters man, mad about Joanne Fabrics.
我经常听到手工艺者们的反馈。
I hear from the crafters so often.
医生和手工艺者。
Doctors and crafters.
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
那些人真的很生气。
Those folks are mad.
我们刚刚休息了一下。
We have taken another quick break.
马上回来。
We'll be back in just a minute.
本节目由领英赞助。
Support for this show comes from LinkedIn.
想象一下,如果所有包含‘我需要一个合适的人来做这份工作’这句台词的电影,都妥协为‘随便找个人就行’会怎样?
Imagine if any of the movies that included the line, I need the right person for the job settled for, I'll just take about anyone.
有多少次劫案会失败?
How many heists would have failed?
有多少笔交易会泡汤?
How many deals would have fallen through?
有多少秘密间谍任务会以灾难告终?
How many secret spy missions would have ended in disaster?
那么,为什么在为你的企业招聘时,你要随便找个人呢?
So why would you accept just anyone when hiring for your business?
当你需要找合适的人选时,可以使用LinkedIn Jobs。
When you need the right person for the job, you can turn to LinkedIn Jobs.
现在,LinkedIn Jobs推出了全新的AI助手,让你更有信心找到其他地方无法寻得的顶尖人才。
And now LinkedIn Jobs is stepping things up with their new AI assistant, so you can feel confident you're finding top talent that you can't find anywhere else.
通过LinkedIn Jobs的AI助手,你可以跳过繁琐的步骤和招聘术语。
With LinkedIn jobs AI assistant, you can skip the confusing steps and recruiting jargon.
它会根据你为职位设定的标准筛选求职者,只呈现最匹配的人选,让你不必被困在堆积如山的简历中。
It filters through applicants based on criteria you've set for your role and surfaces only the best matches so you're not stuck sorting through a mountain of resumes.
一次就招对人。
Hire right the first time.
免费在linkedin.com/partner发布职位,然后推广它以使用LinkedIn Jobs的新AI助手,让寻找顶尖候选人变得更简单、更快捷。
Post your job for free at linkedin.com/partner, then promote it to use LinkedIn jobs new AI assistant, making it easier and faster to find top candidates.
这就是 linkedin.com/partner,免费发布您的职位。
That's linkedin.com/partner to post your job for free.
条款和条件适用。
Terms and conditions apply.
本节目由 MongoDB 提供支持。
Support for this show comes from MongoDB.
您是一位希望创新的开发者。
You're a developer who wants to innovate.
但您却不得不花时间解决瓶颈问题和处理遗留代码。
Instead, you're stuck fixing bottlenecks and fighting legacy code.
MongoDB 可以帮到您。
MongoDB can help.
它是一个灵活且统一的平台,由开发者为开发者打造。
It's a flexible, unified platform that's built for developers by developers.
MongoDB 符合 ACID 标准,适用于企业,具备快速构建 AI 应用所需的功能。
MongoDB is ACID compliant, enterprise ready, with the capabilities you need to ship AI apps fast.
因此,众多《财富》500强企业都信赖MongoDB来承载他们最重要的工作负载。
That's why so many of the Fortune 500 trust MongoDB with their most critical workloads.
准备好跳出行和列的思维了吗?
Ready to think outside rows and columns?
立即在mongodb.com/build上开始构建。
Start building at mongodb.com/build.
今天节目的支持来自SelectQuote。
Support for today's show comes from SelectQuote.
是时候聊聊人生了,特别是人寿保险。
Time for some life talk, specifically life insurance.
你很可能为很少的保障支付了过多的费用,但通过SelectQuote找到合适的保单,就能轻松解决这个问题。
Odds are you pay too much for too little, but it's simple to get it right by finding a policy with SelectQuote.
四十多年来,SelectQuote一直是保险领域最值得信赖的经纪公司之一,已帮助超过200万美国人获得超过7000亿美元的保障。
For over forty years, SelectQuote has been one of the most trusted brokers and insurance, helping more than 2,000,000 Americans secure over $700,000,000,000 in coverage.
他们的使命很简单:为你找到最适合你独特需求的保险政策。
Their mission is simple: to find you the right insurance policy for your unique needs.
他们购物,你省钱。
They shop, you save.
无需体检,没问题。
No medical exam, no problem.
他们与提供当日保障、最高达200万美元的供应商合作,无需拜访医生。
They partner with providers offering same day coverage up to $2,000,000 without needing to visit your doctor.
以更低的价格获得适合你的寿险,节省超过50%,立即访问 selectquote.com/decoder。
Get the right life insurance for you for less and save more than 50% at selectquote.com/decoder.
今天就访问 selectquote.com/decoder,节省超过50%的定期寿险费用,立即开始。
Save more than 50% on term life insurance at selectquote.com/decoder today to get started.
那就是 selectquote.com/decoder。
That's selectquote.com/decoder.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
我正在与梅根·格林韦尔讨论她的著作《劣质公司》、私募股权以及美国梦的消亡。
I'm talking to Megan Greenwell about her book, bad company, private equity, and the death of the American Dream.
在广告插播前,我们正在讨论她书中所追踪的行业、公司和人们在私募股权收购前后所发生的变化。
Before the break, we were talking about what happened to the industries and companies and people she followed in her book before and during private equity takeovers.
但这些故事并不仅仅止步于此。
But the stories don't just stop there.
梅根书中的每个人都在某种程度上抵制了私募股权的影响。
Every person in Megan's book pushes back on the influence of PE in some way.
所以我想问,他们是如何做到的?
So I wanted to ask, how?
这正是书中应用程序部分的最后内容。
That's the last bit of the book in the app.
这是后记部分。
It's the after section.
你谈到了前进的方向,书中的人物小故事中,主要角色们都以某种方式对抗了私募股权。
You talk about ways forward, the vignettes in your book, the main characters have all fought against PE in some way.
你如何看待这种情况的发展?
How do you see that playing out?
所以我强烈觉得,我不希望这本书以‘这个系统太烂了’作为结尾。
So I felt strongly that I didn't wanna end the book on like, well, this system sucks.
我退出了,你知道的?
I'm out, you know?
而最自然的方式是,我也不想提出什么规定性的建议,因为我不是一名活动家。
And the most natural way to do that, in that I also didn't wanna do something prescriptive because I'm not an activist.
最自然的做法似乎是去关注那些事后采取行动的人。
The most natural way to do that felt like it was to look at people who were doing something after the fact.
我最终得出的结论是,如果我们真的想改变这个系统,就必须采取一种多方面的策略。
Where I ultimately came to is if we are serious about changing this system, it's going to have to be so multifaceted an approach.
所以,我书中的四位人物,以各自的方式‘反抗’着私募股权。
So the four characters in my book are, you know, quote unquote fighting back in several ways.
那位在玩具反斗城工作过的女性,第一次飞遍了整个国家,在养老基金委员会前发言,试图说服养老基金不要再投资私募股权,或者至少对它们已投资的私募股权基金施加更多压力。
The woman who worked at Toys R Us, like, flew around the entire country for the first time in her life, speaking in front of these pension boards, trying to convince pension funds no longer to invest in private equity, or at least to exert more pressure on the private equity funds they do invest in.
书中的媒体案例对我来说非常有趣,因为这并不是一种可以通过监管手段将私募股权赶出地方报纸的情形。
The media example in the book to me is really interesting, because that's not something where, like, there's no regulatory situation that is going to get private equity out of local newspapers.
这就意味着你必须从零开始重建商业模式。
That's just that you have to rebuild the business model from scratch.
因此,我关注的这个人就职于一家本地非营利初创机构,而这类机构目前正掀起一股热潮。
And so the person I focus on works for a local nonprofit startup of which there is, you know, a big wave right now.
这本身并不是万能解药,但确实是一个有趣的实验。
And that is not itself a silver bullet to anything, but is like an interesting experiment.
有人在进行这些实验,我认为值得引起一些关注。
And the fact that there are people making these experiments is, I think, a useful thing to shine some light on.
此外,还有诉讼案件和正在提出的法案。
There are also court cases, and there are proposed bills.
你知道的。
You know?
我认为,在当前的政治环境下,联邦层面不太可能对私募股权进行大量监管,但各州正在发生许多有趣的事情。
I don't think in our current political climate, there's going to be a lot of regulation of private equity on the federal level, but there are lots of interesting things happening in various states.
目前,尤其是在医疗保健领域,因为在马萨诸塞州和宾夕法尼亚州发生了重大的私募股权灾难后,这两个州——都是蓝州——迅速认真地开始推行监管。
Right now, especially in health care, because after big private equity disasters in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, those states, you know, both blue states, real quick got very serious about doing regulation.
因此,读完这本书后,我并没有对从私募股权手中夺回一点主动权感到完全绝望。
And so I didn't come away from the book feeling totally hopeless about the chances of clawing a little bit back from private equity.
我不认为这个系统会很快消失,也不觉得它非得消失不可。
I don't think the system is going to disappear anytime soon, nor do I feel particularly strongly that it needs to.
但经过几年的报道,我确实认为这个系统已经严重失灵,而有一些人正在做一些有趣的事情,似乎正在获得一些势头来应对这个问题。
But I think after several years of reporting, I certainly came away thinking this system is very broken, and that here are some people doing some interesting things that seem to be gaining some momentum to do something about it.
对我来说,关键的解决方案似乎是重新连接输入和输出。
It feels to me like the the big solve is somehow connecting the inputs and the outputs once again.
对吧?
Right?
我们在节目中采访过亿万富翁。
We talked to billionaires on the show.
我内心有一部分觉得,公平竞争嘛。
There's a part of me that says, you know, fair play.
如果你真的在运营谷歌,而谷歌确实存在,你的目标是在谷歌有竞争对手的市场中获胜,那没问题。
If if you actually run Google and Google exists and your goal is to operate Google and win in a market where Google has competitors, fine.
对吧?
Right?
至少在那里,我能把输入和输出联系起来。
Like at least I can connect the input and the output there.
嗯。
Mhmm.
很多人喜欢谷歌。
A lot of people like Google.
你有动力把谷歌做得很好。
You're motivated to make Google pretty good.
很好。
Great.
嗯。
Mhmm.
私募股权的核心就是割裂输入和输出。
PE is all about disconnecting the inputs and the outputs.
如果你能挥动魔杖解决这个问题,你会怎么做?
If you could wave a magic wand and just solve that problem, how would you do it?
我的意思是,我基本上要抄袭伊丽莎白·沃伦的观点。
I mean, I'm just going to essentially plagiarize Elizabeth Warren here.
多年来,她一直提出《停止掠夺华尔街法案》,旨在监管私募股权。
She, for several years now, has introduced this Stop Wall Street Looting Act, which would regulate PE.
总的来说,这可能会基本上让私募股权无法存在。
All told, would probably regulate PE basically out of existence.
但我认为其中一部分是
But the part of the that I find The
魔杖就是让它消失。
magic wand is making it go away.
只是要
Just to be
我的意思是,是的。
mean, yes.
但这一法案中最让我觉得最有说服力的部分其实非常简单。
But but the the single part of that build that I find the most I find the case for it the most compelling is actually pretty simple.
杠杆收购的基础是你借入大量资金,而作为私募股权公司,你无需负责偿还这些债务。
So the the basis of leveraged buyouts is you borrow all this money, and you, as a private equity firm, are not responsible for paying the money back.
只有被收购的公司本身才需要偿还。
Only the portfolio company itself is.
因此,最终的结果是你让自己的被投公司背负沉重的债务负担。
And so what ends up happening is you bury your own portfolio company under this mountain of debt.
她的法案中有一项内容就是禁止这种做法。
And one component of her bill is you can't do that anymore.
你必须要有真金白银的投入。
You have to have skin in the game.
再回到我之前对私募股权和风险投资的区分,没人会认为,如果你是风投,投资一家公司时却没有任何风险承担。
And again, you know, going back to my distinction between private equity and venture capital, nobody would ever think that if you're a VC and you invest money in a company, that you don't have something on the line there.
但如果你是私募股权公司,实际上你承担的风险却非常小。
But if you're a PE firm, you really don't have much on the line.
如果你把公司逼破产,你能赚到的钱是有限的,但你也很难亏钱,因为你对这些贷款不负责任。
There's a limit to how much you will make if you drive the company out of business, but it's also pretty hard to lose money because you're just not responsible for those loans.
所以,如果我要提出一项政策改变,我会说,很好。
And so I think if there were one policy change I would make, I would just say, great.
好吧。
Okay.
你必须对投资组合公司所借的贷款承担法律责任。
You are legally responsible for the loans that your portfolio company takes out.
我觉得你绝对应该写一本关于风险投资行业及其所创造的市场环境的下一本书。
I feel like you definitely have to write your next book on the venture capital industry and the the market conditions it has created.
是的。
Yeah.
因为你在这里提出的对比真的很有意思。
Because that is a really interesting contrast that you're making there.
是的。
Yeah.
不。
No.
风险投资对我来说非常有趣。
I VC is fascinating to me.
现在我可能对风险投资过于乐观了,因为我看到了明显的区别,而且我对人们将两者混为一谈有本能的反感。
And it's like, now I'm probably too rosy on VC because I just see such a distinction, and because I have such a knee jerk reaction to people conflating the two.
所以,如果风险投资界发生任何负面新闻,这些人就会@我,说:‘CC,这是私募股权。’
So if there's, like, a negative story that happens in VC world, all of these people will tag me in it and be like, CC, that's private equity.
我会说:不。
And I'm like, no.
好吧。
Okay.
是两回事。
Different thing.
但我对风险投资体系非常感兴趣,因为说实话,我对它了解得还不够。
But I am very interested in the VC system because I don't, you know, I don't know enough about it.
是的。
Yeah.
好吧,梅根,等你写完你的VC书籍时我再回来。
Well, Megan, I have to come back when you write your VC book.
现在先这样,完美。
For now Perfect.
这本书叫《坏公司:私募股权与美国梦的终结》。
The book is Bad Company Private Equity and the Death of the American Dream.
我强烈推荐这本书。
I highly recommend it.
就像我说的,这是一本很有趣的读物。
It is like I said, it's a it's a fun read.
它会让你非常生气,但读起来很有趣,我真的很享受。
It will make you very mad, but it's a fun read and I really enjoyed it.
谢谢你的阅读,梅根。
Thanks for reading on, Megan.
谢谢你,尼拉。
Thank you, Neelay.
这本书名为《坏公司:私募股权与美国梦的终结》,将于6月10日上市,你可以在任何购书平台预订。
The book is Bad Company Private Equity and the Death of the American Dream, and it's out on June 10 to order from wherever you like to buy your books.
我要感谢梅根今天抽出时间参与《解码器》节目,也感谢大家的收听。
I'd like to thank Megan for taking time to join me on Decoder today, and thank you for listening.
希望你们喜欢这期节目。
I hope you enjoyed it.
如果你对本集内容,或任何其他话题有任何想法,欢迎给我们留言。
If you'd to let us know what you thought about this episode or really anything else at all, drop us a line.
你可以发送邮件至 decoder@theverge.com。
You can email us at decoder@theverge.com.
我们确实会阅读每一封邮件。
We really do read all the emails.
或者你也可以在Threads或Blue Sky上直接联系我。
Or you can hit me up directly on threads or blue sky.
我们还有TikTok和Instagram账号。
We also have a TikTok and an Instagram.
请前往decoder pod关注我们。
Check them out there at decoder pod.
如果你喜欢Decoder,请分享给你的朋友,并在你收听播客的平台订阅我们。
If you like decoder, please share it with your friends and subscribe wherever you hear podcasts.
Decoder由The Verge制作,属于Vox Media播客网络的一部分。
Decoder is production of the Verge and part of the Vox Media Podcast Network.
我们的制片人是Kate Cox和Nick Stadt。
Our producers are Kate Cox and Nick Stadt.
我们的编辑是Ursa Wright。
Our editor is Ursa Wright.
Decoder的片头音乐由Break Master Cylinder创作。
The Decoder music is by Break Master Cylinder.
我们下次再见。
We'll see you next time.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。