本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
嗨,欢迎回到《Eat Your Crust》播客。
Hi, welcome back to Eat Your Crustpodcast.
我是Crystal。
I'm Crystal.
我是Jisoo。
And I'm Jisoo.
最近我们庆祝了农历新年,这让我很想聊聊一个特定的话题,那就是如何与父母、父母的朋友,以及他们那一代人沟通。
Recently, we celebrated Lunar New Year's, and this really made me wanna talk about a certain topic, which is communicating with not just our parents, but our parents' friends and just that generation.
当你仔细想想这些细节时,其实挺有意思的。
It's kind of funny when you think about the specifics.
真正让我开始思考这个问题的是,在农历新年期间,我父母总是会招待一大群朋友。
And what really got me thinking about this is during Lunar New Year's, my parents always host a bunch of their friends.
随着我们长大,像我们这一代的人来参加的越来越少,因为有些人不在本地,或者可能已经不住在湾区了。
As we've gotten older, not as many of, like, my generation people come to that because sometimes people are out of town or maybe they don't live in the Bay Area anymore.
但今年,很多所谓的‘孩子们’都来了。
But this year, a lot of the, quote unquote, kids came.
然后我就开始思考这个问题。
And then I started thinking about that.
我在想,我为什么把我们称为孩子呢?
I was like, why am I calling us kids?
我们都快三十岁了。
We're, like, 30 years old.
对吧。
Right.
当然,在父母眼里,他们一直叫我们孩子,还总是让我们坐小孩的桌子之类的。
You know, for sure, in our parents' eyes, they call us the kids, and they still put us at the kids' table and all of that.
我们之间这种关系挺有意思的。
It's an interesting dynamic between all of us.
是的。
Yeah.
我完全同意。
I totally agree.
我最近也有类似的经历。
I had similar experiences recently as well.
我参加这类活动越多,就越意识到,能够在家庭朋友聚会上与父母那一代人交谈,确实是一种技能。
The more I go to these things, I've realized that being able to talk to people in our parents' generation at these family friend parties is definitely a skill.
我很想磨练这项技能,因为我感觉自己非常拘谨和不自然,尤其是面对关系更远的人时。
And it's a skill that I would like to hone because I feel like I'm very stiff and awkward, especially if it's someone more removed.
比如,不是我父母的朋友,而是詹姆斯父母的朋友。
For example, not my parents' friends, but maybe James' parents' friends.
我仍然觉得很难。
I still find it hard.
但看着那些特别擅长此道的人,他们如何巧妙地引导对话,简直像魔法一样。
But watching people who are really good at it, it's almost magical seeing how they weave the conversation.
你有没有朋友属于那种特别会和长辈打交道的人?
Do you have some friends in that group that are, like, the parent whisperers?
我觉得是有的。
I would say yes.
这并不一定是一种适用于每个人的硬性技能。
And it's not necessarily like a hard and fast skill that would apply to everyone.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我觉得有不同的类型。
I feel like there's different archetypes.
我有一个朋友属于比较亲昵型的。
One friend I would say is a more affectionate type.
这位朋友一点也不害怕去拥抱父母,夸奖那些准备了丰盛饭菜的人,说:‘天啊,你的菜太棒了!’
So this friend is not afraid to go around and give the parents hugs, kiss up to the person who maybe cooked the feast and say, oh my gosh, your food was so amazing.
而这个人说这些话时非常真诚,发自内心,我觉得这能让父母们稍微软化下来。
And this person says it so genuinely, it comes from the heart, and I feel like it melts the parents down a little bit.
哎呀。
Aw.
还有一种类型的人特别擅长提问,让父母们始终保持参与感,聊起那些可能浮现的旧日回忆。
There's another archetype where they're really good at asking a lot of questions, know, keep the parents very engaged, talk about old memories that might have come up.
第三种类型的人,他们会像对待同事一样跟父母交谈,谈论一些时事和当下的话题。
And then the third archetype, they almost talk to the parent like you would talk to like a coworker, bring up very topical things, current events and stuff.
所有这些方式都与每个人的个性完美契合。
And all of these things just work so well with the individual's personalities.
哇。
Wow.
等等。
Wait.
这真令人印象深刻。
That's impressive.
我觉得你有更多朋友会跟父母聊天。
I feel like you have a lot more friends that talk to the parents.
是的。
Yeah.
我最近也越来越多地注意到这一点。
I feel like I've noticed it more and more recently too.
也许这也是因为我观察得更多,因为我的父母住在另一个州,所以我经常去别人家的家庭朋友聚会,可以退后一步观察这些情况。
Maybe it's also something that I observe more because since my parents live in a different state, oftentimes, I'm going to someone else's
是的。
Mhmm.
参加这种家庭朋友聚会时,我可以退后一步,旁观这些互动。
Family friend party so I can kind of take a step back and, like, witness things.
老兄,但我感觉
Dude, but I feel
但当你加入这个群体时,你已经是个成年人了。
like by the time you've joined this group, you're already an adult.
是的。
Mhmm.
我觉得正因为这种独特的处境,你反而更有可能成为那种和父母交谈的人。
I feel like because of that unique position, you are actually more likely to be one of the parent conversers.
哦,有意思。
Oh, interesting.
我想我明白你的意思,因为他们从来都没把我当孩子看。
I guess I could see what you mean because they never saw me as a kid.
所以,他们不会把我当成一个七岁的小孩之类的存在。
So, like, they don't see me as, like, a seven year old or something.
没错。
Exactly.
他们可能会看到其他孩子。
Like, they might see the other kids.
你有这种感觉吗?
Do you feel that way?
我觉得这在一定程度上取决于情况。
I think it kind of depends.
而且我现在已经结婚了,对吧。
Also, because I'm now married Right.
我是某人的妻子,我觉得这也让我处于一个不同的圈子。
And I'm someone's wife, I feel like it also puts me at like a different circle.
我是说,我觉得亲友圈里有很多子群体。
Like, I mean, family friend circle I think has many subgroups.
一个是女朋友和伴侣,你知道的?
One is like the girlfriends and like the SOs, you know?
然后是妈妈们,再一个是爸爸们。
And then one is like the moms and then one is like the dads.
所以我想,我算是和这群人的妻子们有点边缘关系。
So I guess it would put me kind of tangential to like the wives of the group.
妻子是指作为父母的妻子吗?
The wives as in the parent wives?
我不确定。
I don't know.
我想这就是我在群体中的感受,你知道的。
I guess that's how I feel in the group, you know.
好的。
Okay.
天啊。
I'm like, oh my god.
我是个妻子。
I'm a wife.
我是
Like, I'm a
已婚女性。
married woman.
等等。
Wait.
你现在是这个群体里唯一一位妻子。
You're like the solo wife in the group right now.
不过这真的很有趣。
That is really interesting, though.
我特别好奇想了解更多你的看法,因为在我看来这非常独特,尤其是像你说的,你现在已婚了。
I'm, like, so curious to find out more about your perspective because it's pretty unique in my eyes and especially because, like you said, you're married now.
这对父母来说是一个需要考虑的新维度。
It's like a new dimension for these parents to consider.
我身边的家人和朋友中,还没有人结婚。
No one in my family friend group is married yet.
所以这对我来说,还是头一回亲眼见到。
So that's, like, something I've yet to see with my own eyes.
我有个场景想说一下。
I have, like, a scenario.
嗯。
Mhmm.
这是一段最近的经历。
It's, a kind of recent experience.
而且这绝对不是什么负面的情况,但当时我处于那个位置时,觉得特别好笑,是的。
And it's by no means a negative scenario, but when I was in this position, I just thought it was so funny Yeah.
因为派对中有一刻,很多孩子都离开了。
Because there was a point in the party where a bunch of the kids left.
所以当时是我、詹姆斯,还有大人们。
So it was myself and James and then the adults.
对吧?
Right?
嗯。
Mhmm.
妈妈们正在互相聊天。
The moms were talking to each other.
詹姆斯在和爸爸们聊天。
James was talking to the dads.
在他开始和爸爸们聊天之前,我站在詹姆斯旁边。
Before he had started talking to the dads, I was standing next to James.
我当时有点参与在男生们的对话里。
I was kind of in the guy's conversation.
哦,我明白了。
Oh, I see.
然后我就站在那里,对话挺愉快的,也没问题,但并不一定跟我相关,也不是我自然会想去聊的话题。
And then I was standing there and the conversation was fun and it was fine, but it wasn't necessarily like relevant to me or like something that I naturally gravitate towards talking about.
嗯。
Mhmm.
于是我站在那里,陷入了纠结:我是该走过去跟妈妈们一起,和女性们待在一起呢?
So then I was kind of standing there and I had this dilemma of should I just walk over to the moms and hang out with the women?
还是应该留在詹姆斯身边,因为我是他妻子?
Or do I stay next to James because I'm his wife?
但现在我发现自己和这些男性们在一起,可能对这种情况想得太多了,超出了必要程度。
But now I'm like with the guys and I was probably overthinking it beyond what's necessary in that situation.
但与此同时,我只是在想:我现在究竟该属于哪个圈子呢?
But at the same time, I was just like, which sphere should I, you know, belong to right now?
是的。
Yeah.
等等。
Wait.
我觉得这完全能理解。
I think that is totally understandable.
我觉得我也会有同样的困扰。
I think I would have the same dilemma.
对。
Right.
我现在只是个陪衬吗?还是我可以加入妈妈们的闲聊?
Am I just, like, an accessory right now, or am I allowed to, like, insert myself into mom gossip?
没错。
Exactly.
我当时就想,喂。
I was like, yo.
孩子们在哪?
Where are the kids at?
是的。
Yeah.
认真的。
Seriously.
需要那个慰藉小组重新回来。
Need that comfort group to come back.
我最近做了一件事,我知道你多少也能理解:有时候我父母出去旅行。
One thing I've done more recently, which I know you can relate to a bit, is there have been times where my parents are, like, traveling.
于是我就一个人去参加朋友家的聚会。
So then I'll show up to the family friend party just by myself.
嗯。
Mhmm.
或者我会带上我的男朋友一起去。
Or maybe I'll bring my boyfriend along.
所以我某种程度上成了家族的代表,我知道你也经历过好几次,现在也还在经历。
And so I'm kind of, like, the family representative, which I know you've also had to go through a few times and still now.
但有趣的是,我会去并且甚至会做一道我父母通常做的菜,为了那种熟悉感。
But the funny thing is I'll come and I'll even, like, cook the dish that my parents usually cook for, I guess, familiarity.
但通常我会过来,把食物放下,跟主人打个招呼,顺便也跟当时到场的其他家长寒暄一下。
But then usually I'll come, you know, drop off the food, say hi to the host and whatever other parents are coming in at the time.
然后他们就会说,哦,孩子们在楼上呢。
And then they're kinda just like, oh, the kids are, like, upstairs.
或者,如果你在找孩子,他们就在那边的桌子那儿。
Or, you know, if if you're looking for the kids, they're, like, at that table over there.
我会说,哦,好吧。
I'm like, Oh, okay.
我被发配到儿童桌了。
I've been banished to the kids table.
我其实一直很好奇,因为我觉得父母们经常这么做,这太普遍了。
I actually always wonder because I feel like that's such a common thing that parents will do.
他们会说,见到你真好。
They're like, Oh, so nice to see you.
生活怎么样?
How's life?
然后他们立刻把你带走。
And then they immediately escort you away.
是的。
Yeah.
我总是想,他们是为我们好,还是为他们自己好?
I'm always like, Are they doing it for our benefit or for their benefit?
你知道的。
You know?
有时候他们甚至不问我过得怎么样,因为我觉得他们根本不知道,也没有上下文。
Sometimes they don't even ask how I'm doing because I think they don't know like, they have no context.
对吧?
Right?
对。
Right.
他们可能会说,克里斯蒂尔可能会说些什么。
They're like, Crystal might say something.
完全不知道她在说什么。
Have no idea what she's talking about.
所以有时候他们会默认问,哦,你父母去哪儿了?
So sometimes they'll default to, like, oh, where are your parents?
他们说不会来的。
They said they weren't gonna come.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
这次他们又去哪儿了?
Where are they off to this time?
然后我会告诉他们一些我父母的近况。
And then I'll tell them some of the updates of my parents.
这就成了我的切入点。
And that's, like, my in.
对吧?
Right?
但最终,你知道的,我把所有情况都说了,对话就有点冷场了。
But then eventually, you know, I've given the full update and the conversation kinda dies a bit.
于是我心想,好吧。
And I'm like, okay.
我现在去找到孩子们。
I'll go find the kids now.
等等。
Wait.
天哪。
Oh my god.
这让我开始怀疑。
This is making me wonder.
这些是我们共同的朋友吗?
Are these our mutual friends?
你知道的?
You know?
因为我们不会和父母的朋友做朋友。
Because we're not friends with our parents' friends.
比如天哪。
Like Oh my god.
我们只是和他们有共同的朋友。
We we just have mutual friends with them.
你知道的。
You know?
该死。
Shit.
等等。
Wait.
我觉得你说得对。
I think you're right.
就像你在生日派对上碰到某人时,会说天哪。
It's like when you run into someone at a birthday party and you're like, oh my god.
然后你们会聊到你们都认识的那个人,心里想,好吧。
And then you talk about the one person you both know and you're like, okay.
再见。
Bye.
天哪。
Oh my god.
老兄,你可能真的对极了。
Dude, you might be so right.
因为如果这事不涉及我父母,那可能就和他们的孩子有关。
Cause if it's not about my parents, then maybe it's about their kid.
是的。
Yes.
完全对。
Totally.
我想着,你儿子今天没来。
I'm like, your son's not here today.
他去干什么了?
What's he off to?
他们就说:我根本不知道。
And they're like, I don't even know.
我觉得某种程度上这是一种安慰。
I think it's like comforting in a way.
我的意思是,从某种角度来说,存在一种隔阂。
I mean, in one sense, there's sort of a barrier.
比如,我永远不可能和这些上了年纪的父母成为最好的朋友。
Like, I'm never gonna be best friends with these parent aged people.
但与此同时,我倒挺喜欢这种有两种剧本的感觉,你知道吗?
But at the same time, I kind of enjoy that there's two scripts, you know?
有时候我选择剧本一,有时候我选择剧本二。
And it's like, certain days, I choose script one, certain days, I choose script two.
然后这样就感觉很好,很安心,之后你又能回去继续过你正常的社交生活。
And then it's, like, nice and comforting, and then you go off and resume your normal social life.
嗯。
Mhmm.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
那可能是个不错的选择。
That's probably a good one.
比如,你的家人朋友经常问你,你父母最近怎么样?
Like, your family friends are probably often asking you, oh, how are your parents doing?
他们想我们吗?
Do they miss us?
然后你就说,好吧。
And it's like, okay.
其他人呢?
Where's everyone else?
是的。
Yeah.
天啊。
Oh my god.
是的。
Yeah.
我想我欣赏有那个脚本一和二,但我觉得它们很快就用完了。
I guess I appreciate that there's that script one and two, but I feel like they run out really quickly.
有时候,我渴望一个能打破我们之间隔阂的话题。
And sometimes I yearn for a topic that would break the barrier between us.
能让彼此不再那么拘谨、正式。
That would make us not so, like, formal with each other.
确实如此。
It's true.
我的意思是,我觉得这会为参加这些活动增添更多深度和意义,对吧?
I mean, I feel like it would add more depth and, like, more meaning, right, to, like, even going to these things.
你说话不再是出于形式上的应付。
You're not just talking as, like, a formality.
你实际上是在和这些人拉近关系。
It's, like, you're actually catching up with these people.
是的。
Yeah.
他们知道我是谁吗?
Like, do they know who I am?
Crystal,你在这些派对上感觉被看见了吗?
Do you feel seen at these parties, Crystal?
你知道,他们都认识我是谁谁的女儿。
You know, they all know I'm so and so's daughter.
嗯。
Mhmm.
但他们真正了解我吗?
But, like, do they know me?
好吧。
Well, okay.
我问你一个问题。
Let me ask you this.
有时候你经过时,或者孩子们在客厅,你听到父母在厨房里聊天,我觉得他们有一套属于成年人的谈话话题。
Sometimes you walk by or if the kids are in the living room and you hear the parents talking in the kitchen or something, I feel like they have their own set of conversation topics that the adults go through.
嗯。
Mhmm.
这些话题也让你感兴趣吗?
Are these topics that also interest you?
还是说,如果你坐在桌旁,你会觉得有点走神?
Or is it something that if you were at the table, you would be like, I'm, like, zoning out a little bit?
我不确定。
I'm not sure.
我通常不会再偷听他们说话了。
I don't usually eavesdrop on them anymore.
我要说实话。
I'm gonna be honest.
我刚刚暴露了自己是个偷听者。
I just exposed myself as a eavesdrop.
因为我觉得我们年轻的时候,他们更多地在谈论我们。
Because I think when we were younger, they talked about us more.
对吧?
Right?
因为我们正经历不同的学业阶段,他们就会说,哦,你们让孩子经历了什么?
Because we're, like, you know, going through different schooling things, and they're like, oh, what are you putting your kid through?
或者,他们遇到什么困难了?
Or, like, what are they struggling with?
是的。
Yeah.
但现在变成其他话题了。
But now it's, like, other topics.
所以我听不到那些偶尔提到的,比如克莉丝汀或者其他孩子的事了。
So I don't hear the, you know, occasional, like, Crystal or, like, other child, whatever.
对。
Right.
我在想,还有没有别的,我想他们最近经常谈论人工智能。
I'm trying to think of, like, any other I mean, I guess they talk about AI a lot lately.
等等。
Wait.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得这现在是热门话题。
I feel like that's, like, the hot topic right now.
我有点觉得,好吧。
And I'm kinda like, okay.
我不确定现在想聊这个。
I don't know if I wanna talk about this right now.
我觉得我和你差不多。
I think I'm similar to you.
有时候我会想,天啊,我们经常看到某些成年人。
Like, sometimes I'm like, man, we see certain sets of adults so often.
能和他们建立更深的关系就好了。
It would be so nice to have a deeper relationship with them.
是的。
Yeah.
但与此同时,我又不确定该如何实现这一点,比如我们会聊些什么。
But then at the same time, I'm like, I'm not even sure how I would manifest that, like, what we would talk about
对。
Right.
要达到那种程度。
To get to that point.
我觉得我最接近的一次是在一个感恩节派对上,但那同时也是房东的乔迁派对,因为他们刚买了一套新房。
I think the closest I got one time, it was like a Thanksgiving party, but at the same time, it was the host's housewarming because they just bought a brand new home.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我父母当时不在场,所以我一个人去了。
My parents were actually not there during the time, so I went alone.
我觉得那时候孩子也不多。
I think also that time, there weren't that many kids.
于是我鼓起勇气走到主人面前,说:天啊,你的新家真漂亮。
So I mustered up the courage and I went up to the host and I was like, oh my god, your new home is so beautiful.
景色太棒了。
Like, the view is amazing.
这个社区也太酷了。
This neighborhood is so cool too.
我还问了房贷利率,比如她有没有办法谈个更优惠的利率,因为当时利率正在上涨。
Oh, I asked about mortgage rates and, like, if she was able to negotiate for, like, a better rate because at the time the rates were rising.
对啊。
Right.
我当时就说,是的。
And I was like, yeah.
你知道吗,我也希望有一天能拥有自己的房子,所以我正在认真做功课、做研究。
You know, I'm interested in one day owning a home too, so just doing my due diligence and researching.
她回答了我的问题,并且非常投入地提供了详细的解答。
She answered my questions, and she was very engaged providing her answers.
但后来,我就问完所有问题了。
But then I, like, ran out of questions.
问答环节结束了。
The q and a was over.
是的。
Yeah.
气氛突然变得特别尴尬。
It just started getting really awkward.
我当时就想,我得赶紧想个脱身的办法。
And I was like, I need I need an escape plan.
我现在都不知道该怎么办了。
I don't know what to do now.
该死。
Damn.
尽管那次对话以那样的方式结束,但我认为这其实是个很好的策略。
Despite the ending of that conversation, I feel like that's actually a really good tactic.
提出与你相关的、成熟的议题,因为年长的人比我们拥有更多的经验。
Bringing up very adult topics that are relevant to you because older people have so much more experience than us.
他们已经经历过我们正试图应对的事情。
Like, they've gone through the stuff that we are trying to get through.
所以我觉得这是个不错的策略。
So I think that's a good strategy.
谢谢。
Thank you.
但你知道,我不能总问别人:‘你的买房事宜进展如何?’
But, you know, there's only so many times I can ask people like, oh, how how was your house deal?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
他们说,我三十年前买的这个。
They're like, I bought this thirty years ago.
他们说,这房子
They're like, this house
当时只要4美元。
was $4.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得和派对的主人聊天总是很愉快,因为你能问他们很多不同的问题,比如‘你的浴室看起来真漂亮’,或者‘这顿饭你是怎么做的?’
I feel like it's always nice talking to the host of a party because you can ask them a bunch of different things like, oh, you know, your bathroom looks so nice or, like, how did you cook this meal?
有很多不同的话题可以聊。
Like, there's so many different things to touch upon.
但我觉得,当你在餐厅之类的地方时,挑战就来了。
But I feel like the challenge is when you're, like, at a restaurant or something.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
那时我脑子里能想到的只有:工作怎么样?
Then the only things my mind can ever think of is like, so how's work?
然后你每周去办公室几天?
And then how many days do you go in the office?
你的孩子怎么样?
How are your kids?
问完这三个问题后,我就想:好吧,我专心吃饭吧。
And then after those three things, I'm like, okay, I'm just gonna focus on chewing my meal.
等等。
Wait.
不过这些倒是挺不错的。
Those are pretty good ones, though.
我其实从来没想过要问父母,比如,你们多久去一次办公室?
I actually never thought to ask the parents, like, oh, how often do you go into the office?
哦,也许这是因为我是这个群体里的新人,所以才会这么想。
Oh, maybe that's something that I only think of because I'm, like, a new person in the group.
哦,我明白了。
Oh, I see.
好吧。
Okay.
不过,我觉得谈论工作有点难。
Also, though, I feel like talking about work is kinda hard.
我有点问题。
There's something wrong with me.
比如,每当我见到成年人,我就只想用中文跟他们说话。
Like, whenever I see adults, I just wanna speak in Chinese to them.
嗯嗯。
Uh-huh.
但我的中文其实也不怎么样。
But it's not even like my Chinese is amazing.
对吧?
Right?
所以我努力用中文跟他们说话,但他们却说:我会说英语。
So I'm, like, struggling to speak Chinese to them, and they're like, I can speak English.
我的意思是,我们必须抓住这些机会。
I mean, we have to capitalize on those moments.
我总是觉得,这是我们练习语言能力的唯一机会。
I'm always like, this is the one chance we get to practice our language skills.
是的。
Yes.
你知道吗,当我们谈到工作这类话题时,我就觉得:天啊,我对工作相关的词汇一窍不通。
You know, when we enter these topics like work, I'm like, oh, I know, like, zero work vocab.
哦。
Oh.
我想我通常不需要经历这种情况,因为我可以直接说英语,因为我缺乏中文,也就是普通话能力。
I guess I don't have to experience that usually because I can just speak English because I lack the Chinese, like, the Mandarin language skills.
但我感觉这有时是最糟糕的部分。
I I feel like that's sometimes the worst part, though.
这些父母的英语其实非常好,嗯。
These parents have, like, perfectly good English Mhmm.
而我却用小学三年级的中文跟他们说话。
And I'm, like, speaking third grade Chinese to them.
他们可能心里想,哦,真可爱。
They're probably like, oh, that's cute.
她在努力呢。
She's trying.
天哪。
Oh my god.
有一次我意外碰到了我的家人、朋友和父母。
There was this time I, like, ran into my family, friends, parents unexpectedly.
是的。
Mhmm.
我想因为我没预料到会见到他们,而且我也不太常讲韩语了,所以我的韩语变得非常生疏。
And I guess because I wasn't expecting to see them, and also I just don't speak Korean as often anymore, my Korean was super rusty.
我当时脑子里全是韩语想法。
And I had all these Korean thoughts.
literally 我的思绪是用韩语进行的,但从我嘴里说出来的却全是英语。
Like, literally my thoughts were in Korean, but everything tumbling out of my mouth was in English.
事后我觉得很尴尬。
And I was, like, embarrassed afterwards.
在开车回家的路上,我知道自己没能跟他们说一句韩语,是的。
On the drive home after I, like, you know, wasn't able to speak any Korean to them Mhmm.
我后来终于能用韩语说出那些话了。
I was able to say the words in Korean.
天啊
Dude.
我在车里 basically 就自己嘀咕,哎,我本该他妈说这句话的。
I was basically just talking to myself in the car like, oh, I should have fucking said this.
比如,我本该
Like, I should have
说这句话。
said this.
等等。
Wait.
我也完全懂那种感觉。
I totally know that feeling too.
我就想,为什么在那一刻,我所有的知识都突然消失了?
I'm like, why did in that moment, all of my knowledge just disappeared?
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
但换个角度说,你觉得你个人以及我们所谈论的成年人,是否在某种程度上有所保留,因为我们不知道该聊什么?
But on another note, do you feel like maybe you personally and the adults that we're talking to are in a sense holding back because we don't know what to talk about?
哦。
Oh.
我觉得在保留这一点上确实有那么一点,嗯。
I think I feel the holding back aspect a little bit Mhmm.
当涉及到幽默时。
When it comes to humor.
哦。
Oh.
你知道,我们就是开些玩笑,是一些我们这一代人会笑的事情,而成年人也有类似的情况,但他们的很多笑话可能是用普通话或者韩语讲的。
You know, we just crack jokes, and it's like things that people our generation would laugh about, and the adults have the same thing, but maybe a lot of their jokes are in Mandarin or something or Korean.
有时候我就想,天啊。
Sometimes I'm just like, damn.
我想我们永远都不会知道自己有多搞笑,你知道吗?
I guess we'll just never know that we're funny, you know?
或者我们到底能有多搞笑。
Or like to what extent we could be funny.
对。
Right.
对。
Right.
也许在他们看来,幽默就在于我们说话磕磕绊绊?
What if the humor to them is more us stumbling through our words?
不过我完全明白你的意思。
I totally get what you mean, though.
当你连说完整的句子都勉强的时候,根本没时间去想自己有多搞笑,或者怎么插入幽默。
When you're already, like, barely speaking legible sentences, you don't have time to think about how funny or, like, how to insert humor in.
是的。
Yeah.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
我觉得这超级好笑
It's or it's like, I feel like it's hella funny
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
但没人笑。
But no one laughs.
我就想,哦,好吧。
And I'm like, oh, okay.
这在英语里会很好笑,不过也没关系。
This would have hit in English, but that's fine.
等等。
Wait.
我和我父母之间已经发生过很多次这种情况了。
That has happened so many times with me with my parents.
他们说,你不能这么说中文。
They're like, you can't say Chinese like that.
我就说,好吧。
I'm like, okay.
我在想,也许成年人在与孩子相处时,会以其他方式有所保留,因为我记得小时候,有时候大人对孩子会更直接、更坦率一些。
I wonder if there's, like, other ways that maybe the adults hold back though because I kind of remember times when we were growing up where sometimes the adults would be more straightforward with the kids or, like, more direct or something.
嗯。
Mhmm.
然后其中一个孩子就会生气或者情绪化。
And then one of the kids would get pissy or, like, emotional.
或者小时候情绪更多,因为每个人年纪都更小,或者压力更大。
Or there was, like, just, like, more emotion growing up because everyone is, like, younger or, like, more stressed.
是的。
Yeah.
现在我觉得每个人都特别放松。
Now I feel like everyone is just super chilled out.
我在想,我们现在是不是更快乐、更放松了,大家处在同一水平,还是只是彼此都保持礼貌。
I'm like, wonder if we're like more happy and relaxed now and we're on the same level or everyone is just being polite.
哦,我明白了。
Oh, I see.
是的。
Yeah.
我也在想,也许他们也不知道该问我们什么。
I also wonder, maybe they don't know what to ask us as well.
没错。
True.
父母知道你是做什么工作的吗?
Do the parents know what you do for work?
我觉得他们大概有个模糊的印象。
I think they, like, vaguely they have, like, a vague assumption.
是的。
Yeah.
有时候我会试着解释,心里也在琢磨要不要深入细说
And sometimes I try to explain it, and I'm, like, trying to gauge in my head if it's worth going, like, into deep detail or
不是。
not.
嗯嗯。
Mhmm.
但没错,他们只是大概知道是哪个领域。
But, yeah, they just, like, know kind of the field.
是的。
Yeah.
所以我觉得对我来说也很相似。
So I feel like that's very similar for me too.
嗯嗯。
Mhmm.
而且我也不太知道怎么用中文描述我的工作。
And I also don't really know how to say my job in Chinese.
是的。
Yeah.
我之前也问过我父母,他们说:哦,不太确定。
And I've asked my parents before too, and they're like, oh, not sure.
也许是这个?
Maybe it's this?
因为有些计算机相关的东西,我们也不知道该怎么准确表达。
Because some computer things are like, we don't know what the right word for that stuff is either.
对。
Right.
所以我觉得,所有父母都知道我所在的公司,但并不真正了解我的工作内容。
And so I feel like all the parents, they know my company, but they don't really know what I do.
他们能问的最多就是:你还在那家公司吗?
So the most they can ask is, like, are you still at that one company?
我就说:是的。
And I'm like, yeah.
他们就说:挺好。
And they're like, cool.
你知道吗,你提到这一点很有趣,因为就像我之前说的,他们也只模糊地知道我从事哪个领域。
You know, that's interesting that you bring it up because, I mean, like I mentioned, they also only vaguely know what field I'm in.
嗯。
Mhmm.
所以和你一样,没什么好聊的,无非就是问一句:你工作怎么样?
So similar to you, there's not much to really talk about because it's just like, oh, how's your job?
还不错。
It's good.
好的。
Okay.
我换个话题。
I'm moving on.
但我感觉有时候注意到他们跟那些男生聊得特别深入。
But I feel like sometimes I noticed them going really in-depth with the guys.
或者,现在我嫁给了詹姆斯,我们会见到好几对朋友父母。
Or, like, now that I'm married to James, we see, like, multiple sets of family friend parents.
嗯。
Mhmm.
每个人都对詹姆斯的工作非常感兴趣。
And everyone is, like, very invested in what James does.
哦,有意思。
Oh, interesting.
我觉得他们对我的工作没那么上心。
I feel like it's they're, like, not as invested in what I do.
等等。
Wait.
老兄,这说明詹姆斯是宠儿。
Dude, that just means James is the favorite child.
老兄,不是这样的。
Dude, no.
这对独生子女来说真是个打击。
This is devastating news for an only child.
但可能是因为他们理解他做什么。
But it's probably because they understand what he does.
对。
Right.
这其实挺有趣的,因为这让我想起我曾经在工作交流中走得最远的一次,嗯。
So this is really funny because that makes me think of the farthest I've been able to go in terms of, like, job talk Mhmm.
其实是我带我男朋友去的时候,大概是在第一年,头几次,嗯。
Is actually when I brought my boyfriend around, like, maybe it was the first year, the first couple times Mhmm.
我邀请他参加了一些我们的活动。
That I invited him to some of our stuff.
我还向一些家长介绍他。
And I was, like, introducing him to some of the parents.
我说,他在能源行业工作,比如石油和天然气之类的。
And I was, oh, he works in, like, energy, like, gas and oil or whatever.
那就是他学的专业,还有他做过的一些工作。
Like, that's what he studied and, like, some of the stuff that he worked in.
突然间,每个人都明白了他来自中国哪所大学,然后他们就说,哦,是啊。
Suddenly, everyone, like, knows what university from China, where they came from, and they're like, oh, yeah.
我还学过一堆化学工程之类的东西。
Like, I also did a bunch of chemical engineering or whatever.
我当时就想,这什么情况?
And I'm like, what the fuck?
突然间,一个全新的世界向我敞开了。
Like, suddenly, a whole world has opened up.
我当时还说,我根本不知道原来你们有60%都是化学工程师。
And I was like, I didn't even know that, like, 60% of you all are, like, chemical engineers.
新
New
认识你十五年后,终于解锁了这个新事实。
fact unlocked after, like, fifteen years of knowing you.
还有另一件特别疯狂的事,我男朋友的中文其实特别好。
Another, like, really crazy thing is that, my boyfriend, his Chinese is actually really good.
过去,在他的一些工作中,当他的同事或经理是中国人时,他们会直接用普通话和他讨论工作。
And in the past, in some of his jobs, when his peers or managers have been Chinese, they just speak Mandarin to him, like, about work.
哇。
Wow.
而且
And
我觉得这真的很高级,是的。
I'm like, dude, I feel like that's very high level Yeah.
能用中文表达技术性内容。
Chinese to be able to say, like, technical stuff too.
所以他和父母能够进行更深入的交流。
And so him and the parents were able to, like, talk more in-depth.
天啊。
Oh my god.
他一直在为这一刻做准备。
He's been preparing for this moment.
他们正在抛出各种技术术语,用中文说化学东西。
They're spitting out technical terms, saying chemistry in Chinese.
我当时就想,这你该怎么说啊?
I'm like, how do you even say that?
你知道的吧?
You know?
他们可能还在说别的,比如各种气体之类的。
And they're probably, like, saying different, like, other, you know, gases and whatever.
没错。
Right.
对。
Right.
我觉得这太疯狂了。
And I'm like, this is crazy.
我这辈子从未与这些成年人达到过这种程度的相互理解,也从未能如此顺畅地彼此共鸣。
I have never unlocked this level of, like, mutual understanding and, like, ability to relate to each other in my life with these adults.
我想在某些方面,他们可能会想,天哪。
I guess in some ways, they're probably like, oh my god.
这个人研究的也是我研究的东西。
This person studies what I also study.
我们有这么多共同点。
We have so much in common.
我们可以就这个领域聊一聊。
We can, like, talk about it in the field.
但我觉得,因为我研究的是亚洲父母根本不了解的冷门领域,这种感觉真的很不好。
But I feel like as the person who's in a more niche field that Asian parents don't know, it just, like, feels bad.
你知道的。
You know?
他们就会说,哦,是的。
They're like, oh, yeah.
Crystal有工作。
Crystal has a job.
就连我父母有时也会说,等等。
Even my parents are sometimes like, wait.
你做什么工作?
What do you do?
天哪。
Oh my god.
老天,说实话,这也很搞笑,因为詹姆斯和我经常见到你男朋友。
Dude, honestly, that's also so funny because James and I see your boyfriend a lot.
是的。
Yeah.
我发誓,他至少给我们解释过十次他研究的是什么。
I swear he has explained what he studies to us, like, 10 times.
偶尔,一些认识你们但不太熟的人会问我和詹姆斯,是啊。
And once in a while, someone else who knows you guys but not as well will ask me and James like, yeah.
他现在研究的是什么?
Like, what does he study right now?
我们就像沉默了,
We're like silent,
根本没法解释他学的是什么。
like unable to explain what he's studying.
等等。
Wait.
我来给你复习一下。
I'll give you a refresher.
没关系。
It's okay.
我还是去问你的家人朋友吧。
I'll just ask your family friends.
其实,天啊。
Actually, oh my god.
现在想起来,这真是个特别有趣的故事。
This is such a funny story now that I'm thinking about it.
是的
Mhmm.
最近,我和我爸去了一家汽车经销商,因为他想买辆车。
So recently, I was at, like, a car dealership with my dad because he wanted to buy a car.
有趣的是,我朋友的父母也在那里买车。
The funny thing is my friend's parents were also there buying a car.
是的
Mhmm.
于是我过去打了个招呼,结果我爸爸和她爸爸其实认识,因为他们在同一家公司工作。
And so I went over to say hi, and my dad and her dad actually know each other because they work at the same company.
是的
Mhmm.
我们小时候曾经一起拼车去游泳。
And we used to carpool for, like, swimming when we were younger.
于是他们说,天哪。
So then they're like, oh my god.
好久不见。
Long time no see.
然后他们坐下来聊了一会儿。
And they sat and chatted for a bit.
接着我朋友的妈妈也在那里。
And then my friend's mom, she was also there.
然后我们又聊了几句。
And then we chatted a little bit.
我说,哦,我听说你在搞家装,你女儿跟我提过,等等等等。
I was like, oh, like, I heard you're, you know, like, doing some home remodels like your daughter told me, blah blah blah.
她问我最近怎么样,然后问起了我男朋友。
She asked, like, how I'm doing, and then she asked about my boyfriend.
接着我谈了谈他学的专业。
And then I talked about what he studies.
然后她就说,哦。
And she was like, oh.
然后我们开始更深入地聊他所学的内容。
And then we started literally talking more just about what he's studying.
我说,我明白了。
I'm like, I see.
他的专业真的触及了更多成人的耳朵和思想。
His field truly reaches so many more adult ears and minds.
这是一个让成年人感到愉悦的研究领域。
It's an adult pleasing field of study.
有趣的是,我和他女儿实际上做着类似的工作。
And the funny thing is me and her daughter, we actually do the same kind of work.
所以我想她可能心里想,是啊。
So I wonder if she was like, yeah.
我不知道你们到底在搞什么名堂。
I don't know what the hell you guys are doing.
所以让我来聊聊你们的男朋友吧。
So let me just talk about your boyfriends.
老兄,老实说,我部分也在想这是否跟性别有关,最近我一直在思考这个问题。
Dude, honestly, part of me also wonders if it's a gender thing, and I was trying to think about this more recently.
我在想,如果我有一份非常容易理解的工作,大家都知道,嗯。
I was like, if I had, like, a very accessible job that everyone knows Mhmm.
你不需要解释太多。
You don't have to explain much.
比如说,如果我是个医生、律师之类的,我觉得大人们会更常问我关于我工作的问题。
Like, say I was, a doctor or a lawyer or something, I think the adults would ask me more questions about my job.
但与此同时,我觉得如果詹姆斯有那样的工作,他们还是会问他比问我这个医生或律师更多的问题。
But at the same time, I feel like if James had that kind of job, they would still ask him more questions than they would ask me as a doctor or a lawyer.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
是的。
Yes.
我完全明白你的意思。
I totally get what you're saying.
我觉得我也能认同你的观察。
I think I can agree with your observation too.
我觉得在我家的亲友圈里也可能发生这种情况。
I think that might happen in my family friend group too.
他们更倾向于问男孩们是做什么工作的,多了解一些细节,对吧。
They're more prone to asking the boys what their job is, some more details Right.
比如工作进展得怎么样。
Like how things are going at work.
而对于女孩,他们就说,你们都有工作啊。
And then for the girls, it's like, you guys have jobs.
不错。
Nice.
天啊。
Damn.
你认为在某些人眼里,工作对男性的身份认同更重要吗?
Do you think jobs are a bigger part of men's identities to, like, some people's eyes?
那
That
这很可能确实是真的。
could be true for sure.
我想另一个让我想到的是,当我看到那些妈妈们时,我觉得有太多话题可以聊了。
I guess the other thing that comes to mind too is, like, sometimes when I see the moms, I feel like there's so much more to talk about.
比如,先夸一下她们的服装、包包和鞋子,然后聊聊家、旅行之类的事情。
You know, start off with, like, complimenting the outfits and the bags and the shoes and then talking about, like, the homes or travel or whatnot.
所以,也许职业对话在我们这里,至少对我来说,优先级没那么高。
So maybe the career conversation just is lower on the totem pole for us or at least for me.
也许我只是不觉得我的职业是我身份中最重要的部分。
Maybe I just don't think of my career as, like, the top thing in my identity.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
For sure.
我尽量避免过多谈论工作。
I try to avoid talking about work too much.
我觉得和普通朋友、同龄人在一起时就是这样。
I think, with with, like, general friends and peers and stuff.
对。
Right.
所以也许这一点也延续了下来,和那些妈妈们的情况有点类似。
So maybe that carries over a bit, and then maybe that's similar to, like, the moms and stuff.
我觉得在中国文化中,女性找工作之类的事情确实没那么受压力,我想。
I think also in, like, Chinese culture as well, women getting jobs and stuff is definitely not something as, like, pressured, I guess.
嗯。
Mhmm.
因为我觉得很多人知道他们最终想要孩子,于是就会说,我愿意为孩子牺牲事业,嗯。
Because I feel like a lot of people know that they wanna have kids eventually, and then they're like, I'll happily sacrifice my career for kids Mhmm.
至少在那个年代是这样的。
Kinda thing, at least, you know, in that generation.
我觉得这就是我的感受。
I think that's the vibe I get.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我妈妈也主要在家带孩子,所以我觉得对我们家来说也是如此。
I mean, I also had, like, a mostly stay at home mom, so I think that holds true for us as well.
嗯。
Mhmm.
也许他们只是觉得工作无聊透顶。
Maybe they're also just like, work is boring as fuck.
我注意到,随着我们年龄增长,现在和成年人之间的共同点越来越多了,这让我觉得不可思议,因为小时候我总觉得,天啊,我的家人朋友、父母根本不懂我。
I've noticed that the older we get, there's just more that we have in common with the adults now, which is crazy to me because when we were young, I was just like, dude, you know, my family friend, parents, they don't know me.
但现在我却想,天哪。
But now I'm like, oh my god.
我们都去同一个国家旅行,只是时间不同,但可以分享旅行推荐。
Like, we all travel to the same country, but at different times, like, we can share travel recs.
或者,他们正在为退休做计划,我的父母也是。
Or, like, they are planning for retirement and so are my parents.
或者,你知道,他们也买了房子。
Or, like, you know, they also bought a house.
他们还买了车。
They also bought a car.
诸如此类的事情。
Blah blah blah.
然后我就想,我们和他们之间的交集越来越大,按理说对话应该更自然、更容易,但我觉得还没到那一步。
And I'm just like, the Venn diagram between us and them is growing bigger and bigger, which would mean conversation should get more natural and easy, but I don't think it's quite there yet.
是的。
Yeah.
我刚才
I was
正想说,我们难道不应该有更棒的对话吗?
just about to say, shouldn't we have better conversations?
这还在进行中。
It's a work in progress.
是的。
Yeah.
为什么我们还是只能做些简单的问候,聊一分钟小话,然后就说‘哦,你的朋友们在那边’?
Why is it still just, like, check ins, small talk for one minute and then, oh, your friends are back over there
是的。
Yeah.
在沙发上。
On the couch.
我觉得还发生了一些有趣的事。
I think there's also something funny that happens.
现在这种情况对我而言少多了,因为我见父母的次数变少了。
Less so to me now because I don't see my parents as often.
但有时候,当我跟家人朋友的父母在一起,而我的父母也在场时,他们会问我一个问题,然后我会试着回答。
But sometimes when I hang out with my family friend parents and my parents are there, the parents will ask me a question, and then I'll, like, try to respond back.
但一旦我开始结巴,我妈妈就会替我回答。
But once I start stumbling on my words, my mom will just respond for me.
我当时就想:等等,什么鬼?
And I'm like, wait, what the fuck?
你就像在说:妈妈,给我个机会吧。
You're like, give me a chance, mom.
我正在
I'm
心想:好吧,我的代言人来了。
like, okay, my spokesperson is here.
是的。
Yeah.
有时候我也注意到,其中一位家长会用完全能听懂的英语或中文跟我说话,而我却只是呆呆地盯着他们。
Sometimes I also noticed that one of the parents might say something to me in completely understandable English or Chinese, and I just, like, stare blankly.
然后我妈妈就会把同样的话再说一遍,也许用的词更简单,我就想:哦,对。
And then my mom just says the exact same thing, Maybe in, like, even simpler words, I'm like, oh, yes.
我明白你的意思。
I know what you're saying.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道吗,现在想想,也许这对生活在美国内地、语言能力不够强或不够自信的人来说是很常见的。
You know, now that I think about it, maybe this is something that's common for people who live in The US, for us who, like, aren't as strong or as confident in our language skills.
嗯。
Mhmm.
但我记得当我十八九岁的时候回过一次韩国。
But I have this memory of going back to Korea when I was, like, 18 or 19 or something.
对。
Yeah.
吃饭时我姑姑问我一个问题。
My aunt had asked me a question at dinner.
我想那时候我的舌头还没热身好。
I think my, like, tongue wasn't warmed up enough yet.
出于习惯,我没有回答,而是看向我妈妈,给了她你刚才说的那种眼神。
And out of habit, I, instead of responding, looked at my mom and gave her that same stare that you were talking about.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得我阿姨,因为她生活在韩国,不了解韩国裔美国人或在美国移民的生活经历。
And I feel like my aunt, because she, you know, lives in Korea where, like, she doesn't know the, like, Korean American or, like, the immigrant experience of being in The US.
我觉得她觉得这很奇怪。
I think she thought it was weird.
她还问,这个问题有那么难吗,以至于你得去问你妈妈?
And she was like, is that a question so challenging that you have to ask your mom or something?
当时我很尴尬,心想,哦,我不知道我为什么会那样做。
And then at the time I was embarrassed and I was like, oh, you know, I I don't know why I did that.
但现在我想明白了,只是我的韩语太差了。
But now I'm like, it's just my Korean is bad.
习惯了让我妈妈帮我翻译一切。
Like, used to my mom translating everything.
是的
Yeah.
不
No.
当然
For sure.
现在我只会点头微笑。
Like, now what I just do, I just nod and smile.
点头微笑,发出一些表示认同的声音。
Nod and smile, make some affirming noises.
是的
Yeah.
哇哦
Woah.
是的
Yeah.
哇。
Wow.
非常有说服力。
Very convincing.
得试试看。
Have to try it out.
是的。
Yeah.
你 definitely 应该试试。
You definitely should.
因为有时候,比如我和我妈在一起时,有人跟我们说话,语速快得像在飞奔。
Because sometimes, like, me and my mom are hanging out, and then someone's talking like a mile a minute to us.
然后,你知道的,我就想,好吧。
And, you know, I'm like, okay.
幸好我妈妈在这儿。
Thank god my mom's here.
她会理解的。
She'll understand.
我只能点头微笑,装作明白他们在说什么。
I will just have to nod and smile like I know what's going on.
我也在想,英语对话中是不是有一种特定的节奏,让你知道什么时候可以插话。
I also wonder if you know how in in English when you have a conversation, I feel like there's certain cadences to where you cut in.
但在亚洲,我觉得你插话的速度和方式似乎不太一样。
But in Asia, I feel like the speed in which you cut in and how you cut in is kinda different.
所以有时候,我能听懂他们在说什么,也想回应,但等我准备好开口时,他们已经说下一句了。
So sometimes it's like, I can understand what they're saying and I might have something to say, but by the time I'm like ready to say it, they've like moved on.
天哪。
Oh my god.
或者时机已经不对了。
Or it's like not the right timing anymore.
我就想,哦,好吧。
And I'm like, oh, okay.
我想我只能在这段对话的其余时间保持沉默了。
Guess I'm not I'm just like being silent for the rest of this conversation.
我不知道该怎么说‘绕回来’这个意思。
And I'm like, I don't know how to say circling back in
韩语里,你知道的?
Korean, you know?
等等。
Wait.
顺便说一下,我们五分钟前聊的那件事,是的。
By the way, the thing we were talking about, like, five minutes ago Yeah.
我想插一句。
Just need to put my word in.
我突然想到另一件有趣的事,关于我们和朋友家父母一起聚会的情况。
Oh, I did have another funny thought about, like, us hanging out with parents of family friend groups.
嗯。
Mhmm.
疫情期间,我曾和一些家长在很小的圈子里一起聚会。
There was a few times during COVID where I would hang out with the parents in, like, a very small group.
那时候,我觉得自己可能是湾区唯一的孩子。
And I think at the time I was maybe one of the only kids in the bay.
我们在一起玩过几次牌,玩的是大二。
We played cards together a few times and we played big two.
这种游戏有很多亚洲版本。
There's a bunch of, like, Asian variations of that one.
对。
Right.
我当时就想,哦,这个游戏我知道。
And I was like, oh, I know this game.
于是我加入他们一起玩,结果他们说:等等,首先,你居然知道这个游戏?
And so I joined them and we're playing and then they're like, wait, first of all, you know this game?
我当时就说:别开玩笑了,老兄。
I was like, come on, dude.
大二?
Big two?
然后他们又说,等等,你还挺厉害的。
And then they're second of all, they're like, wait, you're kinda good.
我们一直赢。
Like, we keep winning.
别闹了,兄弟。
I was like, come on, dude.
我只是个孩子,但不等于我傻。
Like, just because I'm a kid doesn't mean I'm stupid.
等等。
Wait.
这话说得真好。
That's a good one.
通过游戏来证明自己的实力。
Like, proving your skills through games.
是的
Yeah.
我当时就说,喂,各位。
I was like, come on, guys.
像我也可以和你们一样厉害。
Like, I can be just as good as you all too.
而且实际上,我觉得在游戏中能稍微展现一下你的个性。
And actually, I feel like in games, can showcase your personality a little bit.
比如有些人很强势。
Like, some people are aggressive.
有些人则更聪明、更狡猾。
Some people are more clever and, like, sly.
当然。
For sure.
所以也许这就是你打破隔阂的方式。
So maybe that's how you break the barrier.
你就跟他们玩大二。
You just play big two with them.
就像不停地出牌。
Like, spam it.
其实你说得对。
Actually, you're right.
下次他们开始打牌时,我会说:我押10美元。
Like, next time they start playing cards, I'll be like, buy in $10.
老兄,我想到了另一种打破成人与孩子界限的方式。
Dude, I thought of another way that the adult kid barrier is broken.
我觉得当我们所有人都满21岁,开始能在家庭聚会中合法喝酒时,那种感觉真的很奇妙。
And I feel like when we all turned 21 and we started being able to, like, legally drink wine at family friend gatherings, it was, like, such a trippy experience.
老兄。
Dude.
所以当大人们在家庭聚会中走过来,递给我们一杯葡萄酒之类的时候,我记得刚开始,我会看向我父母,确认自己是不是可以喝。
So then when adults would come up to us at family friend parties and, like, offer us a glass of wine or something, I remember in the beginning, I would look at my parents to see if I was, like, allowed.
即使这是合法的。
Even though it's legal.
他们说,你都21岁了。
They're like, you're 21.
我还记得当时喝着葡萄酒,心想天啊。
And I also remember drinking the wine and being like, oh my god.
这葡萄酒尝起来好贵啊。
This wine tastes so expensive.
你懂我的意思吧?
You know what I mean?
哇,你那边都是些挺讲究的人啊。
Damn, you got some fancy people out there.
我觉得
I feel
更像是我们平时喝的那种,比如赤脚莫斯卡托之类的,但这次喝的可是正经瓶装葡萄酒。
like it's more like what we were used to drinking, like barefoot Moscato or something was You're very like, this was like a real bottle of wine.
我当时想,等等。
I'm like, wait.
这瓶酒的价格比5美元还贵。
This bottle of wine costs more than, like, $5.
这太疯狂了。
This is crazy.
是的。
Yeah.
还记得我在这集开头问过,父母是否认识我吗?
Remember when I asked in the beginning of this episode if the parents know me?
嗯。
Mhmm.
他们确实认识我一部分。
They actually do know part of me.
哦?
Oh?
我现在其实有个名声,就是我喝很多酒。
I actually have a reputation right now that I, like, drink a lot.
好的。
Okay.
这其实有两个方面。
There's actually two aspects to it.
一方面是我喝很多酒。
One is that I drink a lot.
嗯。
Mhmm.
另一方面是我懂酒。
And two is that I know wine.
所以现在我每次走进派对,他们都会说,哦,嗨,水晶。
So usually whenever I walk into a party now, they're like, oh, like, hi, Crystal.
然后他们会说,酒在那边。
And then they'll be like, wine's over there.
天哪。
Oh my god.
太好笑了。
That's so funny.
哎呀,今天我们有‘Hello Wine’了。
Like, oh, we have Hello Wine today.
我想知道,这种名声是经过多次聚会慢慢建立起来的吗?
I need to know if this is like a reputation that was built up over many gatherings.
还是说,有时候只要有一次标志性的聚会,然后你就突然有了这个名声?
Or sometimes there's like one iconic gathering and then boom, you have a reputation.
你知道的吧?
You know?
有一次我不小心喝太多了。
There was one time I did accidentally drink too much.
但我认为,即使在那之前,我就已经喝得很多了。
But I think even before then, I did just, like, drink a lot.
意思是,我会不停地给自己倒葡萄酒,然后他们就会问:‘你还好吗?’
As in, like, I would just keep pouring myself glasses of wine and they're like, are you good?
我当时就想:‘天哪。’
I was like, oh, dude.
我没事。
I'm fine.
他们就说:‘哇哦。’
And they're like, woah.
水晶在喝酒呢。
Crystal be drinking.
是的。
Yeah.
水晶很能喝葡萄酒。
Crystal can hold her wine.
对。
Yeah.
然后有一次我确实分享了,我当时想,哦,是啊。
And then one time I did share, I was like, oh, yeah.
我挺喜欢喝葡萄酒的,诸如此类的。
I'm, like, pretty into wine, blah blah blah.
他们就说,哦,这挺有意思的。
And they were like, oh, that's pretty interesting.
于是他们又多问了点,然后说,哦,好吧。
So they asked me a bit more and they're like, oh, okay.
也许Crystal真的懂葡萄酒。
Like, maybe Crystal does know her wine.
很不错。
Very nice.
是的。
Yeah.
其实挺搞笑的,因为有时候父母会突然拿出一瓶酒,问,你觉得这酒怎么样?
Actually, it's kind of funny because sometimes parents will randomly be like, they'll pull out a bottle and be like, oh, what'd you think of this wine?
他们一般都至少对这个有点兴趣,所以都有自己的看法,但不会太具体。
They're all generally a little bit at least a little bit into it, so they have their opinions, but they're not, like, too specific about it.
所以我想,这就是我们可以多聊一点的领域。
So I guess that's one area where we can, like, talk a little more.
这真的超好笑的。
That's honestly hella funny.
但我觉得,因为你真的懂酒,这完全不是什么坏名声。
But I feel like because you actually know your wine, it's not a bad reputation by any means.
你懂我的意思吧?
You know what I mean?
也许吧。
Maybe.
也许吧。
Maybe.
所有孩子也都懂。
All the kids know too.
他们就会说,‘克里斯特尔,你今天要喝点酒吗?’
They're like, oh, Crystal, are you gonna drink some wine today?
我觉得每当父母打开第一瓶酒时,他们都会来找我,问:‘你需要酒吗?’
I think also whenever the parents open the first bottle, they'll they'll come to me and be like, do do you need wine?
天哪。
Oh my god.
这太有代表性了。
That's so iconic.
是的。
Yeah.
我不会拒绝的。
I won't say no.
你觉得父母知道你这一面,会让你和他们更亲近吗?
Do you feel like having the parents know that side of you makes you feel, like, closer to them?
老天,我不知道。
Dude, I don't know.
我觉得有时候有点尴尬。
I feel like it's a little embarrassing sometimes.
是的。
Yeah.
哎呀,糟了。
I'm like, oh, shoot.
我不一定想被人当成一个酒鬼。
Like, I don't necessarily want to be known as, like, a drunkard.
我以为你就是那个爱喝红酒的女生。
I thought you're just, the wine girly.
也许吧。
Maybe.
但我觉得我们家朋友圈里的很多孩子其实并不怎么喝酒。
But I think also a lot of the kids in our family friend group, they actually don't really drink that much.
哦。
Oh.
所以说不定也是因为有这种对比,就会觉得,哦,对啊。
So maybe because of the comparison there too, it's like, oh, yeah.
克里斯托,她喝得还挺多的。
Crystal, like, drinks a decent amount.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
我觉得对我们来说,关于喝酒的情况是,詹姆斯和我住得稍微远一些
I feel like the wine experience for us is James and I live a little bit further
对啊。
Right.
从我们平时常碰面的那些地方来看的话。
From some of the places that we usually tend to meet.
所以通常我们这群人里会有一个人负责开车。
So usually, one of us is driving.
所以大家总会先问,哎,今天谁开车?
So they always check like, oh, who's driving?
比如,今晚谁可以喝酒?
Like, who can drink tonight?
通常,詹姆斯和我会轮流来。
And usually, James and I will kinda switch off.
所以他们总是很乐意给另一个人倒一点酒。
So they're always, like, happy to pour the other person a little bit of wine.
是的。
Yeah.
啊,真可爱。
Aw, that's cute.
老兄,好吧。
Dude, okay.
你父母通常会在这种场合喝酒吗?
Do your parents usually drink at these?
因为我想起来,我刚学会开车时,我父母总是会说,好了。
Because I remember when once I learned how to drive, my parents would always be like, alright.
比如,要么克丽丝特尔,要么你哥哥开车,因为我们喝了一点点酒。
Like, either Crystal or your brother drive because, us like, we drank a little bit.
天哪。
Oh my god.
哇。
Wow.
这完全勾起了我的回忆。
That totally jogs the memory.
就像你刚拿到驾照时特别开心,然后才发现自己这辈子都要当代驾了。
It's like you get your license and you're so happy and then you realize you're the DD for, like, the rest of your life.
我完全忘了这回事。
Totally forgot about that.
但我的父母和他们的朋友确实会喝酒。
But my parents and their family friends do drink.
但我感觉他们现在喝得少多了。
But I feel like they drink a lot less now.
好的。
Okay.
随着他们年龄增长,不再疯狂聚会了。
As they get older, they're not party hardy anymore.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得现在确实也是如此。
I feel like that's true too now.
所以现在我爸爸当我的代驾了。
So now my dad d d is for me.
天哪。
Oh my god.
这太好笑了。
That is so funny.
是的。
Yeah.
或者我哥哥在家的时候,他就会d d。
Or if my brother's home, then he'll d d.
哎呀。
Aw.
现在我简直能想象到你家的父母朋友,一边在好市多买葡萄酒,为这些晚餐做准备,一边心里想着:希望Crystal会喜欢这一款。
Now I'm, like, imagining your family friend parents being, like, buying wine at Costco in prep in preparation for these dinners and being like, hope Crystal likes this one.
可能更像说:嘿。
It's probably more like, hey.
再拿一瓶。
Get one more bottle.
Crystal今天要来。
Crystal's coming today.
多备点。
Up the supply.
多备点。
Up the supply.
这让我突然想到,每个孩子在家长之间是不是都有各自的名声。
That actually makes me wonder if each kid has a reputation amongst the parents.
比如选酒这件事,似乎是一种普遍共通的现象,就像一个家长圈里的梗。
Like, the wine one seems like it's kind of universally shared, like, maybe like a family friend meme.
嗯。
Mhmm.
但我相信,家长之间肯定也有一些关于孩子的秘密评价或内部笑话。
But I'm sure there's, like, secret reputations or, like, secret inside jokes that the parents might have about the kids as well.
哦,我完全能想象这种情况。
Oh, I could totally see that.
我觉得,等我当了父母,和我们自己的家长朋友圈在一起时,我肯定也会和詹姆斯说,是的。
I feel like when I'm a parent and we have, like, our own family friend group, I could totally see myself and James being like, yeah.
这个孩子会最先结婚。
This kid is gonna get married first.
这个孩子会做这件事。
Like, this kid is gonna do this.
而且我们可能还会为此打赌。
And maybe, like, we would place bets on it.
你知道的。
You know?
我
I
我觉得你会是那个红娘。
think you would be the matchmaker.
你会说,我想让这个孩子和那个孩子在一起。
You'd be like, I want this kid to get with that kid.
你说得太对了。
You're so right.
实际上,我朋友圈里的父母们确实都在牵线搭桥。
Actually, the parents in my family friend group, they totally matchmaked.
天哪。
Oh my god.
并不是他们主动撮合,但他们就是会想,哦,如果这些孩子将来要在一起,肯定会是这样配对的。
It wasn't like that they match made, but they were totally like, oh, like, if any of the kids were to get together, like, this is how they would pair off.
哦。
Oh.
哇。
Wow.
这其实才是八卦。
That's tea, actually.
作为家庭朋友圈里的成年人,真的有太多乐趣可言了。
There's so much fun to be had as the adult in a family friend group.
是的。
Yeah.
天啊。
Oh my god.
你们完全可以赌一赌他们将来从事什么工作。
You guys can totally bet on, like, their jobs too.
没错。
True.
没错。
True.
他们对数字感兴趣,所以可能会当会计师之类的工作。
They're interested in numbers, so they're gonna be an accountant or something like that.
或者比如,大学毕业之后,
Or like, oh, after college,
这个孩子很可能搬回来。
this kid will probably move back.
但这个孩子,我觉得会去纽约。
But this kid, I could see going to New York.
是的。
Yeah.
天啊。
Oh my god.
这实际上会非常有趣。
That would be so fun, actually.
老兄,当我们还是孩子的时候,父母们肯定特别开心,时不时瞥我们一眼,偷偷打赌。
Dude, the parents probably had so much fun when we were kids, just, like, glancing over at us and making, like, side bets.
太对了。
So true.
我觉得在我们家朋友聚会时,父母们总是拖很久才走,因为他们玩得太开心了。
And I feel like parents, at least at my family friend gatherings, used to take forever to leave the party because they were having too much fun.
哦,是啊。
Oh, yeah.
他们会在门口聊上整整一个小时。
Like, they would start talking on the door for, like, an hour.
没错。
Yes.
而我们呢,早就把鞋穿好了。
And we, like, have our shoes on.
然后我记得,最后我们还是会放弃,坐下来重新开始玩DS。
And then I remember, eventually, we would, like, give up, sit down, and start playing DS again.
对。
Yes.
然后他们就会说,好吧。
And then they would be like, okay.
我们要走了。
We're going.
我心里想,这什么啊,
I'm like, what the like,
我就又坐了回去。
I just sat back down.
老兄,但现在我们走得太快了。
Dude, but nowadays, we leave hella quickly.
我们还没到午夜就走了。
We leave before midnight.
你是说,你们全家都这样吗?
You mean, like, your whole family?
所有人。
Everyone.
除非是午夜活动,比如除夕夜,否则所有人会在午夜前全部离开。
Everyone clears out before midnight unless it's, like, a midnight event, for example, New Year's Eve.
然后,就在我们看完倒计时的那一刻,大家都说:好了。
Then, like, the moment we finish watching that countdown, everyone's like, alright.
就像,
Like,
我们现在得回家了。
we gotta go home now.
再见,大家。
Bye, everyone.
其实,是的。
Actually, yeah.
我也注意到了。
I've noticed that too.
现在有个明确的截止时间了。
There's like a hard deadline now.
是的。
Yeah.
别磨蹭了。
No dilly dallying.
对。
Yeah.
门口别再闲聊了。
No extra conversations at the door.
就是,快点。
It's like, hurry up.
后面的人还在等着呢。
People are waiting behind you.
我在想,父母们参加亲友聚会最开心的年龄段是什么时候?
I wonder, like, at what age for the parents are family friend parties the most fun?
哦。
Oh.
也就是说,峰值是在什么时候?还是说峰值还没到?
Like, when does it peak, or is the peak not here yet?
天哪。
Oh my god.
也许当大家都退休了,才是最热闹的时候。
Maybe it peaks when everyone's retired.
他们正在积极准备呢。
They're, like, gearing up.
因为现在有些人还在工作,有些人已经不工作了。
Because now some people are working, some people aren't.
但等他们完全退休后,就会彻底放开了玩。
But when they're fully retired, they're gonna go balls to the walls.
是的,就是这样。
Like, yeah.
每一天都像周末。
Like, every day is a weekend.
有时候现在他们会说,哦,明天又是周一了。
You know, sometimes now they're like, oh, you know, tomorrow's Monday.
不能太晚回家。
Can't Mhmm.
不能玩得太晚。
Stay out too late.
还是有事要做。
Still got stuff to do.
但一旦退休了,老兄,他们就会说,我再也没有责任了。
But once they're retired, dude, they're like, I got no responsibilities anymore.
你们可以留宿。
You guys can sleep over.
这就像持续好几天的
It's like a multi day
这叫什么来着?
what is it called?
狂欢派对。
Bender.
哦,对。
Oh, yeah.
太疯狂了。
That's wild.
他们说,我们给每个人都准备了睡袋。
They're like, we got sleeping bags for everyone.
如果退休可能是下一个或最大的高峰,我觉得第二大高峰可能是孩子上中学的时候。
So if retirement is maybe the next or biggest peak, I feel like the second biggest peak is probably when kids are in middle school.
因为那时候他们真的能自己玩得开心。
Because then they're, like, truly entertaining themselves.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。