本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
欢迎大家。
Welcome, everybody.
这是我们百年校庆的闭幕活动。
This is the closing event of our centennial year.
这非常令人兴奋。
It's pretty exciting.
我是詹妮弗·威多姆。
I'm Jennifer Widom.
我是第十任工程学院院长。
I'm the tenth dean of engineering.
你们可以算一下就会发现,我们这些院长都喜欢在这里多待些时日。
And you can do a little math there and figure out we deans like to stay around for a while here.
这是很棒的一年。
It's been a great year.
这是充满庆祝、反思和展望未来的一年。
It's been a year of celebration, reflection, looking to the future.
对于还不了解这段历史的各位,斯坦福大学自1891年建校之初就设有工程学院。
For those of you who haven't heard about the history, we've had engineering at Stanford since the beginning of the university, 1891.
最初开设的学科包括化学工程、电气工程、机械工程以及采矿冶金。
We started with chemical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and mining and metallurgy.
1925年——也就是一百年前——这四个系合并组建了工程学院。
And it was in 1925, one hundred years ago, when those four departments were brought together to form a school.
这四个系至今仍是我们学院的重要组成部分。
And those four departments are still with us today.
其中有一个系已经更名。
One of them has been renamed.
现在的材料科学与工程系就是原来的冶金系。
It's now materials science and engineering rather than metallurgy.
此外我们还新增了五个系和众多跨学科项目。
And we have five more departments and many, many interdisciplinary programs.
过去一年里我们举办了各种活动来庆祝百年院庆。
We've had events throughout the year to celebrate the centennial.
这些活动都非常精彩。
They've been fantastic.
我们最初举办了一场由十位院长中仍在世的五位参与的座谈会。
We started with a panel with the five deans of the 10 who are still with us.
那场座谈会由杨致远主持,我想他今天也在场,他是学院的一位挚友。
That panel was moderated by Jerry Yang, who I think is here today, a great friend of the school.
我们的第二场活动是在5月15日举行的。
Our second event was on May 15.
我们在四方院举办了一场盛大的庆祝会。
We had a big party out on the quad.
我们预计会有2000人参加。
We expected 2,000 people.
实际来了3000人,而且食物也没有耗尽。
We got 3,000 and we didn't run out of food.
我们展示了众多优秀的项目与研究成果。
We had a great showcase of projects and research.
下一场活动是五月份在这个舞台上与黄仁勋和约翰·亨尼西进行的炉边谈话。
The next event was a fireside chat with Jensen Huang and John Hennessy that was actually on this very stage around the May.
我们与斯坦福橄榄球队合作,举办了一场工程学院主题的橄榄球比赛。
We partnered with Stanford Football and had a school of engineering themed football game.
没人告诉我当院长的工作之一是要在国家电视台开着电动沙发车,而安德鲁·拉克就坐在我旁边。
Nobody told me when I took the job as dean that one of my jobs would be to drive a motorized couch on national TV with Andrew Luck as my passenger.
但我完成得很出色,那真是太棒了。
But, I nailed it, and, that that was great.
在校友聚会周末,我们举办了关于学院历史的趣味问答比赛。
We had on reunion weekend a trivia contest on the history of the school.
校友们玩得很开心,现在这是我们的闭幕活动了。
The alums enjoyed it and now this is our closing event.
回顾工程学院这一百年,谷歌的成立显然是一个辉煌时刻。
If we look back on the hundred years of the School of Engineering, obviously the formation of Google was a shining moment.
谢尔盖·布林——你们很快会见到他——正是在考虑加入我们博士项目时拜访期间认识了拉里·佩奇。
Sergey Brin, who you will soon, meet, met Larry Page when he visited to think about coming to our PhD program.
那是在1995年。
That was in 1995.
他们合作开展了一个名为'数字图书馆'的项目,该项目由美国国家科学基金会资助。
They worked together on a project called Digital Libraries that was funded by National Science Foundation.
所以如果你曾对联邦资金的影响力有所怀疑,谷歌正是直接源自一个NSF项目。
So if you ever have any doubt about the impact of federal funding, Google came directly from an NSF project.
我们都知道接下来发生了什么。
We all know what happened next.
他们开发了一个名为BackRub的算法,后来演变为PageRank。
They developed an algorithm called BackRub, which became PageRank.
顺便说一下,那边那台服务器就是第一台运行PageRank算法的服务器。
And by the way, that server right there is the first server that ran the PageRank algorithm.
所以一段历史就摆在你们面前。
So a bit of history right in front of you.
我们稍后会听到更多关于那个时期的细节。
We're gonna hear more about that time shortly.
但我想说,这只是斯坦福工程学院百年历史中涌现的众多创业案例之一。
But I do wanna say that's only one example of the entrepreneurship that has happened across the decades and the cent the year the cent century of Sanford Engineering.
还有数千家公司是由学生、教职员工和校友创立的。
Thousands of other companies have been founded by students, by faculty, by alumni.
它们实实在在地创造了数万亿美元的经济增长。
They've generated literally trillions of dollars in economic growth.
这个基础是由工程学院第三任院长弗雷德·特曼奠定的。
And that foundation was laid by the third dean of the School of Engineering, someone by the name of Fred Turman.
弗雷德曾指导过威廉·休利特和大卫·帕卡德。
Fred mentored William Hewlett and David Packard.
他还指导过瓦里安兄弟。
He also mentored the Varian brothers.
他还协助建立了斯坦福工业园(现称斯坦福研究园),至今仍蓬勃发展。
And he also helped establish the Stanford Industrial Park, which is now known as the Stanford Research Park, still going strong today.
多年来斯坦福工程领域的突破层出不穷:航空学、电力传输、微波雷达、半导体技术真正催生了硅谷,我们依赖的网络安全技术,我们依赖的互联网传输协议,人工智能基础,生物电子学,锂离子电池,这份清单还在不断延伸,未来必将涌现更多成就。
So many breakthroughs over the years in Stanford engineering, in aeronautics, electricity transmission, microwave radar semiconductor work that really sparked Silicon Valley, cybersecurity that all of us rely on, internet transmission protocols that all of us rely on, the foundations of AI, bioelectronics, lithium ion batteries, the list goes on and on, and there's surely more to come.
现在我要承认,当我们审视所做的工作时,许多细节实际上都是由学生们完成的。
Now I do want to acknowledge that when we look at the work that we do, a lot of the details are really done by students.
而今天的活动同时也是一堂课。
And today's event is also a class.
在场超过半数的人都是斯坦福大学创业思想领袖项目的学生。
More than half of the room here are students in the entrepreneurial thought leaders program at Stanford.
我只想对学生们说,你们是我们历史的续篇。
And I just want to say to the students, you're the sequel to our history.
所以感谢学生们的到来。
So thank you students for coming.
而今天的对话也确实是关于学生的。
And today's conversation is also really about students.
你们稍后将见到的校长约翰·莱文,以及谢尔盖·布林,当年和你们一样都是斯坦福的学生。
John Levin, the president, who you will meet shortly, and Sergey Brin were Stanford students just like all of you.
如今,他们正在帮助定义技术的未来和教育的未来。
Today, they're helping define the future of technology and the future of education.
因此这确实是结束我们百年庆典的理想方式。
So this is really an ideal way to close our centennial.
现在,我想带大家回到九十年代初谢尔盖·布林作为计算机科学博士生来到斯坦福时的场景。
Now, I want to set the stage of the early nineteen nineties when Sergey Brin arrived as a CS PhD student, computer science.
电子邮件那时刚刚成为我们所有人的主要沟通方式。
Email was just becoming the way all of us were communicating.
创业精神那时才开始加速发展。
Entrepreneurship was just beginning to accelerate.
工程学院第六任院长吉姆·吉本斯提出了斯坦福技术风险项目的构想,该项目正是今天这门课程的主办方。
The sixth dean of the School of Engineering, Jim Gibbons, hatched the idea for the Stanford Technology Ventures Program, which hosts the class that's here today.
当时科学工程广场最多只存在于设计图纸上,或许还只是人们脑海中的构想。
The science and engineering quad was on drafting paper at best, maybe just in people's minds.
顺便说一句,我和谢尔盖是同一年来到斯坦福的。
And by the way, I arrived the same year that Sergei did.
我于1993年以助理教授的身份加入。
I joined as an assistant professor in 1993.
当时斯坦福还有一名本科生刚开始他的大四学年,那就是约翰·莱文。
There was also an undergraduate at Stanford beginning his senior year that same time, and that was John Levin.
人们不禁会想,他当时是否想过自己最终会成为校长?
And one wonders, was he thinking he'd eventually become the president?
谁知道呢?
Who knows?
约翰在这里攻读数学和英语本科学位。
John was an undergraduate in math and English here.
他前往麻省理工学院攻读博士学位,并于2000年作为教员返回。
He went to get his PhD at MIT and returned as a faculty member in 2000.
他曾担任经济系主任、商学院院长,并于2024年8月成为斯坦福大学第十三任校长。
He was chair of the economics department, the dean of the business school, and became Stanford's thirteenth president in August 2024.
我想说约翰确实是工程学院的一位杰出支持者。
I wanna say that John is really a wonderful champion of the School of Engineering.
他在我们的百年校庆期间给予了极大帮助。
He's been so helpful throughout our centennial year.
他深刻理解我们的文化和创业精神。
He deeply understands our culture and our spirit of entrepreneurship.
现在,我很荣幸地邀请斯坦福大学校长约翰·莱文和谢尔盖·布林加入我们的对话。
So it is my pleasure now to bring John Levin, President of Stanford, and Sergey Brin to join our conversation.
我是约翰·莱文。
I'm John Levin.
很高兴在这里见到大家,并有机会共同庆祝工程学院百年庆典的压轴活动。
It's great to see all of you here and to have this chance to celebrate the final event of the Engineering School's Centennial year.
我们有一位非凡且契合百年庆典压轴活动的嘉宾——几乎无需介绍的谢尔盖·布林。
We have an extraordinary guest and fitting guest for the final event of the centennial with Sergei Brin, who really needs very little introduction.
不过我想,在我们向谢尔盖提问之前,不妨像珍妮弗刚才那样回溯一下时光。
But I thought I might just start, before we get into questions with Sergei, to roll the clock back, as Jennifer just did.
她对学院历史的精彩全景式回顾令人赞叹。
She gives such a wonderful sweeping history of the school.
让我们把时光倒回1990年代那个特殊时刻——1993年谢尔盖作为博士生来到斯坦福的时候。
But to roll the clock back to that particular moment in the 1990s when Sergei came to Stanford in 1993 as a PhD student.
珍妮弗当时是新任教师。
Jennifer was a new faculty member.
那时我还是斯坦福大学的本科生。
I was a Stanford undergraduate at that time.
1993年时我正读大四。
I was a senior in the 1993.
几年前《纽约时报》的一位记者写了一篇关于我斯坦福毕业班的文章,我们是94届的,文章的主旨是——希望现在这样说更合适些。
And some years ago a reporter for the New York Times wrote an article about my Stanford graduating class, which was the class of 'ninety four, and the gist of the article was it was I hope that's better.
那篇文章的主旨是说我们是有史以来最幸运的大学毕业生,因为我们毕业时正值互联网和科技腾飞的转折点,而我们正好身处硅谷的中心。
The gist of the article was that it was the most fortunate college graduating class of all time, because we graduated at a moment that was on the cusp of the internet and technology taking off, we were right in the middle of it in Silicon Valley.
那位记者在撰写文章时——大约十年前——打电话给我说,想就此事与你谈谈。
And the reporter called me when they were writing that article it was about ten years ago and said, wanted to talk to you about this.
当时我是斯坦福大学的教员。
At the time, I was a faculty member at Stanford.
她说,你是我就这篇文章联系的第一个人。
And she said, you're the first person that I'm calling about this article.
我说,很抱歉让你失望了。
And I said, look, I'm really sorry to disappoint you.
没错,我90年代初确实在斯坦福。
It's true, was at Stanford in the early '90s.
我是1994届的,但当时我完全懵懂无知。
I was in the class of 1994, but I was clueless at the time.
事实上,我1994年离开斯坦福后去了英国牛津读研,那是个连冰块技术都被遗忘的国度。
And in fact, I left Stanford in 1994 and I went to be a graduate student at Oxford in England, a country where they had forgotten the technology for the ice cube.
等我2000年重返斯坦福时,科技浪潮早已兴起,所以我真的帮不上什么忙。
And by the time I made it back to Stanford, which was a few years later in 2000, things had already taken off, so I really can't help you.
她说,别担心,我喜欢先采访边缘人物,再逐步深入核心。
And she said, well don't worry about that, I like to start these articles by talking to people on the periphery, and then I work my way in.
如果说我是边缘人物,那么谢尔盖·布林就是互联网革命的核心——他预见了技术潜力与未来,并做出了改变世界的非凡创举,这种成就是我们工程学院希望代代相传的。
So if I was on the periphery, there were a few people who were at the absolute core of the Internet revolution, and there's no one who was more at the center than Sergei Brin, who did see the potential and the future of where technology could go and did something, extraordinary and world changing, of the kind that we, you know, we hope many people, has been done many times from the engineering school and we hope will happen many times in the school's next century.
谢尔盖,感谢你出席学院的百年庆典。
So Sergei, you for being here to be part of this celebration of the school.
好吧,你们太过奖我了。
Okay, you guys are flattering me way too much.
我认为这其中运气占了很大成分。
I think there was a huge amount of luck there.
总之,感谢你们的邀请。
Anyway, thank you for hosting me.
能来到这里是我的荣幸。
It's a pleasure to be here.
让我们回到那个年代。
So let's go back to that time.
带我们回到你在斯坦福读研究生的时期。
And take us back to, you're a graduate student at Stanford.
请谈谈在工程学院就读的感受,以及它如何帮助你成长并创造了创立谷歌的机遇。
Tell us a little bit about what it was like to be at the engineering school and how it helped to shape you and open up the opportunity to create Google.
回想起来,也许当时我没有意识到,但那确实是一段充满创造力和自由的时光。
In hindsight, maybe I didn't appreciate it at the time, but it was a very creative and free time, I would say.
我们或者说我是在玛格丽特楼开始攻读博士学位的,实际上就在主校区广场那边。
We started in or I started my PhD program in Margaret Hall, so on the main quad actually.
那是一栋老式建筑,你知道的,有着吱呀作响的小房间和门,我在那里学会了撬锁。
And this old kind of building with, you know, creaky little rooms and doors, I learned how to pick locks there.
这要感谢那位麻省理工学院的撬锁高手。
Thanks to the MIT guy to lock picking.
说实话,回想起来我挺惊讶当时获得了那么多自由,因为最初我可以把时间花在尝试逆向还原碎纸机文件上——就是把碎掉的文件扫描后重新拼凑起来。
And, yeah, I'm kind of surprised honestly how much freedom I was given in high in hindsight because I, you know, I could spend my time initially, I was trying to reverse shredders, like, you know, you shred your documents and then scan it and put it back together.
虽然这个项目最终没能完全成功,但谁知道呢。
I never fully got that working, But I don't know.
从来没有人阻止我做这些事。
I I nobody ever told me not to do that.
这些年我有过几位导师。
I had a couple advisers over the years.
赫克托,很遗憾他已经去世了,但他真是个可爱的人。
Hector, I'm sorry, he's passed away, but what a sweetheart.
他确实是的。
He is yeah.
多好的人啊。
What a nice guy.
然后是杰夫·奥尔曼。
And then Jeff Allman.
他们...我也不清楚。
And they I don't know.
我想他们会定期询问我在做什么。
I I guess they would periodically ask me what I was doing.
我...是的。
I yeah.
他们确实没有施加太多限制。
They didn't really put many many limits.
当我们搬到新楼——计算机科学的盖茨大楼时,我得说,那时候是有点调皮的。
When we moved to the new building, the Gates Building Of Computer Science, I have to say, well, it was a little bit naughty back then.
所以我知道我的撬锁日子结束了,因为有了这些带红外功能的小电子钥匙。
So I knew my lock picking days were over because you had these electronic keys with the little, you know, infrared things.
你们现在还用那些吗,还是已经换掉了?
Do you still have those, or did they change them up?
还在还在用。
Still Still there.
好的。
Okay.
所以这些锁实际上并没有联网,它只是信任钥匙来判断是否能开锁,至少那时候它们还没联网,而且我怀疑至今也没变过。
So they were the locks are not actually networked, so it actually trusts the key, to tell it if it can open the lock, or at least back then they weren't networked and I doubt they've changed since.
尽管如此,它们当时已经是电子化的复杂系统。
But nevertheless, they were electronic and complicated.
就在我们刚搬进大楼时,外面还搭着脚手架,有些工程还没完工,但所有门、所有办公室都装了这种电子锁,我撬不开——除了通往那台能制作钥匙的电脑房间的阳台锁。
So just when we were moving into the building, there was a scaffolding outside, were still finishing some stuff, but all doors, all the offices, were locked to these electronic locks that I couldn't pick except the balcony lock to the room that had the computer that would stamp out the keys.
于是我就爬了出去——我知道追诉期已经过了,希望现在能讲这个故事。
So I climbed out I know the statute of limitations has passed, hope so I can tell the story.
我从办公室爬出去,你知道的,就是爬到脚手架上,我不得不这么做。
I climbed out, you know, from my office onto scaffolding, like, we you know, I had to do this.
我知道他们下周就要拆除脚手架了。
I knew they were gonna take the scaffolding down, like, in the next week.
我们不是在四楼吗?
Weren't we on the 4th Floor?
是啊。
Yeah.
好吧。
Okay.
但那是个真正的脚手架,你知道的,就是那种...我也说不清楚。
But it was like a real, you know, scaffolding with like all the I don't know.
可以说我当时...我还是个孩子。
Seem say I didn't I I was a kid.
那就是我当时做出的判断。
That was the judgment I had.
总之,我翻到了阳台上,发现那是个物理锁,可能现在还是。
So anyway, climbed over to the balcony, picked the that one was a physical lock, probably still is.
进入了那里的电脑。
Got into the computer there.
我想我复制了电脑上所有的软件,给自己做了把万能钥匙,然后删掉了副本。
I think I I made a copy of all the software on the computer, like made myself a master key and then erased the copy.
之后有段时间,这把万能钥匙几乎能打开所有东西。
And then for a while, the master key worked for for kinda everything.
但但是你是
But but You're
我还以为你只是在走廊里玩轮滑,虽然你确实也在那么做。
And I thought all you were doing was rollerblading up and down the hallways, which you were also doing.
不过是啊。
But yeah.
好的。
Okay.
但脚手架那次,我没穿轮滑鞋尝试。
But the scaffolding, I didn't try with skates on.
那样的话就太过分了。
That would have been that would been too much.
你的职业生涯本可以有多种不同的发展方向
Your career could have gone in so many different directions
考虑到...是啊。
given the Yeah.
你在工程学院接受的教育。
Education you were getting at the engineering school.
但它并没有朝着...就是...开锁和当CIA特工之类的职业方向完全实现。
But it but it didn't go in any just any you the the lock picking and and career as a CIA agent or something didn't fully materialize.
跟我们说说它是怎么实现的。
Tell us about how it did materialize.
我是说...
What what the I mean
我想你知道,我们从大约95年开始,花了几年时间研究谷歌背后的理念。
I think what you know, we worked on the ideas behind Google for a number of years starting probably, like, in '95.
要特别表扬拉里,他真正专注于网络的链接结构。
And kudos to Larry to, like, really focusing on the link structure of the web.
但那时候,网络还是新生事物,每个人都能轻易想出些新点子。
But it was at the time, the web was the new thing and everybody would do you know, it it it was so easy to create some new idea.
比如,我第一个赚钱的点子是在线订披萨。
Like, I think my first money making idea was this pizza ordering.
要知道,当时觉得在网上订餐简直不可思议。
You know, it seemed crazy at the time that you could order food online.
如今我们都觉得这是理所当然的事。
Nowadays, we take it for granted.
我还开玩笑地在顶部放了个可口可乐广告。
And as a joke, I, like, put a Coke ad at the top.
我当时觉得网上有广告这事特别好笑。
I thought it was so funny there'd be Internet ads.
但显然,结果证明这并不那么好笑。
But, obviously, turned out to be not that funny.
总之,这个想法彻底失败了,因为它的运作方式是你在网站下单,而那时候披萨店通常都没有联网。
Anyway, it failed quite profoundly because, like, the way it worked is you'd put in your order to the website and then, you know, pizza places were not online, generally speaking.
但我想到他们有传真机。
But I had this idea they had fax machines.
所以系统会自动给他们发送订单传真。
So it would automatically send them a fax with the order.
但后来我发现他们其实不常查看传真,于是这个计划就失败了。
But then I realized they don't actually check their faxes very often, and it flopped from there.
所以,这个项目并没有特别成功。
So, that didn't particularly pan out.
但在当时,我们计算机科学系的同学可能都相当了解互联网的运作原理,知道网络服务器的工作原理。
But it was, you know, at the time, like, I guess all of us probably in the computer science department, like, understood how the Internet worked pretty well, how, you know, web servers worked.
你很快就能捣鼓出这样的东西。
Like, you could whip one of these out really quickly.
所以大家都在网上尝试各种东西。
So everybody was just trying stuff on the web.
那真是个非常有创造力的时期。
It was just a very creative period.
总之,拉里当时专注于链接结构的研究。
Anyway, so Larry was focused on the link structure.
我那时在做数据挖掘工作,于是我们联手了。
I was working on data mining at the time, and we joined forces.
很快我们就发现,我们开发的东西对搜索非常有用。
And, you know, soon enough, we found we had something that was pretty useful for search.
但我们花了很长时间在斯坦福进行实验,考虑是否要把它做成学术项目。
But we spent a while just experimenting with it, at Stanford and, like, thinking to make an academic project or not.
我们尝试过把它授权给多家互联网公司。
We tried to, you know, license it to, various Internet companies.
有一次我们向Xcite推介,维诺德·科斯拉很给面子地表示认可。
One time, we had pitched it to Xcite, and Vinod Khosla to his credit thought, hey.
这太棒了。
This is great.
你们应该买下这个。
You guys should buy this.
但Xcite对此不太感兴趣。
But Xcite wasn't very interested.
不过我们和Vinod通过邮件来回沟通,我们发了条消息说,好吧,我们愿意以160万美元的价格授权这项技术给你们。
But we had an email back and forth with Vinod, and we sent a note and said, okay, we'll license you the technology for $1,600,000.
大约十五分钟后我们收到回复说,哦,这可是一大笔钱啊,不过好吧。
And we got a reply like fifteen minutes later saying, oh, that's a lot of moolah, but okay.
我们作为即将毕业的学生非常兴奋。
And we're excited to graduate students.
那可是一大笔钱。
That was a lot of money.
当时我们的朋友Scott也在,我们共有四个人在从事这个项目。
And then our friend Scott, at the time there were four of us working on there on it.
斯科特和艾伦是另外两个。
Scott and Alan were the other two.
他们离开去创办自己的公司了。
They went off to start their own companies.
总之,斯科特进来时笑得前仰后合,原来是他伪造了那封回复邮件。
Anyway, Scott comes in laughing hysterically, and it turns out he had faked the reply.
因为那时候,你可以冒充任何人发送邮件。
Because back then, you could you couldn't send an email from anybody.
所以,没错,那个交易显然没谈成。
So, yeah, that deal didn't come to pass, obviously.
但最终,拉里和我决定:'要扩大规模,获得实际资金支持会很有帮助。'
And but eventually, Larry and I just decided that, hey, To scale this up, it would be really good to, you know, get actual money.
后来我们很轻松地找到了一些天使投资人。
And, eventually, we found some angels, which was very easy.
要知道,我的导师杰夫...因为当时我正在退出博士项目。
And, you know, my adviser, Jeff, because for me, I was leaving a PhD program.
我父母很失望,但他却说,为什么不试试看呢?
My parents were disappointed, but he was like, well, why don't you just give it a try?
如果不行,你还可以回来。
And if it doesn't work out, you come back.
严格来说我现在还是休学状态,可能还会回去。
So I'm still on leave of absence technically, might still come back.
我们拭目以待吧。
We'll see how it goes.
我稍后再谈这个话题,如果你想考虑回来完成学位的话。
I'm gonna come back to that later to if you might wanna think about coming back to get your degree.
我很喜欢故事的这个部分,而且放在当今背景下思考很有趣——创业在当时是你尝试过授权等其他方式后最后才考虑的选项。
But I love that part of the story that and it actually it's interesting to think about in the context of today that entrepreneurship was sort of the last option to explore after you went out and tried to license and so forth.
在某种程度上,你可能对改变这种观念做出了很大贡献。
You actually probably contributed a lot to changing that in some ways.
是啊,我们的创业历程确实很特别。
I know, I mean our journey was its own particular one.
我是说,斯科特和艾伦都去经营自己的公司了。
I mean, both Scott and Alan went off to run their own companies.
这也是他们离开的部分原因。
That was part of the reason they left.
也许他们对我们要把它做出来感到不耐烦,但说实话,当时很多人都在创业。
Maybe they were impatient with us trying to take it out or but it wasn't like, At the time, a lot of people were starting companies, quite honestly.
就像我说的,艾伦当时已经参与了这个天气公司,我想现在叫Weather Underground。
Like I said, Allen was involved already with this weather company, I guess, now known as Weather Underground.
我记得它被收购了,记不清是weather.com还是其他公司,就在近几年。
I think it got bought by, I can't remember, weather.com or one of the other ones recent well, like, in recent years.
斯科特有家公司专门做邮件列表归档,叫e groups,后来被雅虎收购了之类的。
And Scott had this company that was archiving mailing lists, it was e groups, and eventually got bought by Yahoo and so forth.
但这在当时很常见。
But it was pretty common.
不过确实,我们可能比大多数人花了更长时间才做出那种决定。
But yeah, I don't know, we probably took longer to make that kind of decision than a lot of other people would have.
所以从那个起点来看,我是说你现在回顾,谷歌已成为一家4万亿美元市值的公司,每分钟处理1000万次搜索,拥有数量庞大、种类繁多的产品等等。
So from that start, I mean, you look back now, of course, and Google's a $4,000,000,000,000 company, and you process 10,000,000 searches every minute are in a huge number of, I mean, just enormous number of different products and so forth.
在你和拉里创办公司的时候,我是说,至少对大多数人来说,这些成就并不显而易见。
At the time that you and Larry went to start the company, mean, none of that was obvious, at least to most people.
这就是为什么它当初没有被授权等等。
That's why it wasn't licensed and so forth.
显然,这些年你们做出了许多明智的决策,才使公司从初创发展到如今的规模。
You have obviously made a lot of good decisions over the years to get from where you started to where the company ended up.
在创建谷歌初期,有没有哪些事情是你们一开始就做对了,现在回想起来觉得对公司起步至关重要的?
Are there things that you did right at the beginning when you were creating Google that you look back and you think, that was really important that we did that right from the start of the company?
我...我是说,我觉得早期...拉里一直很有雄心壮志。
I I mean, I think early on well, Larry was always very ambitious.
他现在依然如此。
He still is.
事实上,几乎任何计划你提给他,他都会说'这个还不够有野心'之类的话。
In fact, there's almost no plan you can suggest to him that he won't say, like, oh, that's not ambitious enough.
你需要的不只是太阳系,而是整个银河系。
You need, you know, not just the solar system, the galaxy.
你知道吗?
You know?
所以我觉得这某种程度上体现了他的热情。
So I think that's a little bit of sort of his passion.
是的,我们很早就制定了非常宏大的使命宣言——要整合全球信息等等。
So, yeah, we did have fairly early on the very ambitious mission statement to organize all the world's information and so forth.
我认为这是创办公司时很好的核心理念。
And I think that was a good kind of philosophy to start a company on.
而且我们确实创办了一家学术氛围浓厚的公司。
And also we did start a fairly academic, I guess, minded company.
我们俩都是从博士项目出来的。
I mean, we both came out of the PhD program.
当时很多初创企业的创始人都是大学刚毕业。
Like a lot of the startups at the time were kind of out of college.
我只是觉得这稍微改变了你思考问题的方式。
I just do think that sort of shifts how you think about things a little bit.
而且,要知道,明确地说,也有很多杰出的公司是由大学毕业生创立的。
And, you know, there are many phenomenal companies, just to be clear, that have come out of college.
但是,你知道,对基础研发等方面的投入,我认为很早就成为了公司文化的一部分。
But, you know, the investment in sort of foundational R and D and so forth, I do think was a part of the culture quite early on.
你们也招聘了很多博士,所以不只是你们两个人。
You hired a lot of PhDs as well, so it wasn't just the two of you.
是的,非常多。
Yeah, very much.
我记得霍勒斯·希尔斯利,他是我们最早的成员之一。
I mean, I remember Horace Hilsley, who was one of our earliest guys.
我认识他是因为我当时在斯坦福的教授招聘委员会。
I knew him because I was on the Stanford, you know, the professor search committee.
就像,我之前已经面试过他了。
Like like, I'd already interviewed him.
他被斯坦福拒绝了,原因我不清楚。
He got turned down for the Stanford job for I I don't know.
无所谓了。
Whatever.
这事很复杂。
It's complicated.
当时有很多优秀的候选人。
You got a lot of good candidates.
但他给我发消息那一刻,我立刻就想问:你明天能来上班吗?
But, like, the moment he sent me a note, I was like, can you start tomorrow?
毕竟我已经了解他和他的全部资历了。
I mean, because I already knew him and all of his qualifications.
我认为可以有力地论证,谷歌是过去二十五年间全球最具创新力的公司。
Built probably I think there's a good argument that Google's been the most innovative company of the last twenty five years in the whole world.
无论是产品创新层面——包括整合YouTube的视频业务、DoubleClick的广告业务、Waymo等众多明智决策,还是从最初延续至今的技术创新,比如现在的芯片研发等领域。
And both in terms of product innovation, and a lot of great decisions went in there, like building out video with YouTube and advertising with DoubleClick and Waymo and technical innovation, going back to the beginning, but even now with chips and so forth.
我很好奇,你们是如何做到的——大公司要保持高度创新确实非常困难。
I'm curious about how you've it's really hard for large companies to stay hugely innovative.
每家公司都在为此挣扎,而你们却成功做到了。
Everyone has struggled with that, and you've managed to do it.
许多人认为你个人在这方面发挥了巨大影响。
And many people attribute you personally with having a big impact there.
你如何看待培养创新文化以及你在这其中扮演的角色?
How do you think about fostering a culture of innovation and your role in it?
嗯,好的,谢谢。
Well, okay, thank you.
你一直在恭维我。
You keep flattering me.
我认为,首先,我们确实在很多事情上失败了。
I think that well, first of all, we've definitely flopped on a bunch of things.
现在我们不需要逐一讨论所有这些失败。
We don't need to get into all of them right now.
但与此同时,我们也有一长串的失败经历。
But we've had a long list of failures at the same time.
所以,你知道,其中一部分就是不断尝试。
So, you know, part of it is just trying.
我认为由于学术背景的根源,我们可能更倾向于尝试困难的事情。
I think that because of the kind of academic roots, maybe we were more inclined to try hard things.
特别是进入过去这十年左右,困难的事情变得越来越有价值。
And I think kind of coming into this last decade or so, especially, the hard things have become more and more valuable.
我想说的是,如果你看看AI这个明显的大趋势,光是投入的计算量和所需的深度数学知识就非常庞大。
I guess I'm gonna you know, if you look at AI, which is obviously a huge trend, but, like, just, you know, the amount of computing that has to go into that, the amount of kind of deep math that has to go into that.
这些都是技术上非常深入且具有挑战性的问题。
Those are all, you know, technically deep and challenging problems.
我想这某种程度上是命运的转折,让这些在世界当前阶段变得重要。
And I guess it's just kind of a twist of fate that that that turns out to be important at this stage in the world.
我的意思是,曾几何时,你可以搞出像pets.com那样的东西。
I mean, there was a while where, you know, you could do there was, like, pets.com.
还记得吗?
You remember?
你可以随便搞个.com网站
You can put anything on .com.
那在技术上并不算高深
It wasn't really that technically deep.
只需对网络有基本了解,就能做任何.com业务
You need a marginal understanding of the web, and you can do whatever .com.
幸运的是我们当时做的是搜索引擎,这确实需要更深的技术功底,但技术复杂度只增不减
You know, fortunately, we were doing search, which did require some deeper technical skills, but the technical sophistication level has only gone up.
事实上,现在我们招聘的员工...他们的资质远超当年的我
And in fact, well, now the people we hire are just well, they're much more qualified than I am or I was at the time.
我当时算是偏数学方向的计算机专业学生,因为大学期间我同时修了数学和计算机——这在我们那届还挺少见
I was kind of a mathy computer science major because I had like, during my during college, I did both math and computer science, which was somewhat unusual in my class.
但现在我们从斯坦福等顶尖院校招聘的人,在数学和计算机领域都相当出色
And but nowadays, as we, like, hire people out of Stanford and, you know, all the other top programs, like, these people are pretty sharp mathematically and computer science wise.
他们中有很多是物理学家,因为物理学家必须处理那些艰深的数学问题。
And a bunch of them are physicists because physicists kind of have to do the hard math.
而且他们做的很多工作都受到计算能力的限制,所以他们需要具备一定程度的计算技能。
And a lot of the stuff they do is very computationally limited, so they need to kind of have some degree of the computation skills.
所以我认为,某种程度上,一些深奥艰难的技术变得越来越重要,而我们恰好很早就朝这个方向奠定了基础。
So I just think somehow it has happened to be the case that some of the deep hard tech has become increasingly important, and I think we just kind of lucked out on having set the bit early on in that direction.
这是个有趣的观察——技术问题再次成为公司的竞争优势。
That's an interesting observation that the technical problems have come to the fore again as a competitive advantage for companies.
那我们聊聊人工智能吧。
So let's talk about AI for a minute.
每个人都在思考这个问题。
Everyone's thinking about it.
你回到谷歌后就在研究这个领域。
You're back at Google working on it.
你们在很多方面都处于前沿,竞争异常激烈。
You guys are at the forefront in a whole bunch of ways, and it's incredibly competitive.
我是说,投入AI基础设施的资本高达数千亿美元,甚至单个公司层面的投入都如此巨大。
I mean, the amount of capital that's going into AI infrastructure is hundreds of billions of dollars, even at the level of individual companies.
这确实非同寻常。
It's really extraordinary.
你如何看待当前AI领域的发展态势?
How are you seeing the landscape right now for what's going on in AI?
好的。
Okay.
让我想想如何回答这个问题而不显得自吹自擂。
Let me think how to answer that without just pounding my own chest.
确实,毫无疑问这是巨额投资。
I mean, yes, it's a huge amount of investment, for sure.
我想说,在某些方面我们确实搞砸了——我们投资不足,八年前发表Transformer论文时没有给予应有的重视。
I guess I would say, in some ways, we for sure messed up in that we underinvested and sort of didn't take it as seriously as we should have, say, eight years ago when we published the transformer paper.
实际上我们当时并未真正重视,也没有在算力扩展上进行必要投入。
We actually didn't take it all that seriously and didn't necessarily invest in scaling the compute.
而且,我们当时太害怕将其推向大众,因为聊天机器人会说些蠢话。
And also, we were too scared to bring it to people because chatbots say dumb things.
OpenAI接手了这个领域,这对他们来说是件好事。
OpenAI ran with it, which good for them.
这是个极其聪明的洞见,而且也是我们的人比如Ilya去那里实现的。
It was a super smart insight, and it was also our people like Ilya who went there to do that.
但我确实认为我们仍从那段悠久历史中受益。
But I do think we still have benefited from that long history.
所以我们拥有大量神经网络研发的基础,这可以追溯到Google Brain时期。
So we had a lot of the research and development of neural networks kind of going back to Google Brain.
某种程度上这也算是运气好。
That was also kind of lucky.
幸运的是我们雇用了Jeff Dean。
It luck that we hired Jeff Dean.
我的意思是,能请到他是我们的运气,但我们也一直秉持着深度技术至关重要的理念。
I mean, we were lucky to get him, but we were in this sort of mindset that deep technical things mattered.
所以我们聘用了他。
And so we hired him.
说实话,我们从Deck招聘了很多人才,因为他们当时拥有顶尖的研究实验室。
We hired a lot of people from Deck, honestly, because they had the top research labs at the time.
但他对神经网络充满热情,我想这源于他大学时期的实验。
But he was passionate about neural networks, and it stemmed, I think, from actually his college experiment.
我不清楚具体细节。
I don't know.
他就像那种16岁就开始研究如何治愈第三世界疾病和解构神经网络的人。
He's like he was like, whatever, curing third world disease and figuring out neural networks when he was, like, 16.
他做过很多疯狂的事情。
He's done crazy things.
但他对此充满热情。
But he was passionate about it.
他建立了整个研究体系。
He built up a whole effort.
实际上当时在我的部门,也就是Google X,我们有他,但我没有。
And actually in my division at the time, in Google X, we had him, but I didn't.
我当时就说,好吧,杰夫,你想做什么就做什么。
I was like, okay, Jeff, you do whatever you want.
他就说,哦,我们能区分猫和狗了。
He's like, oh, we can tell cats from dogs.
我就说,哦,好吧,挺酷的。
I'm like, oh, okay, cool.
但你也得信任你的技术人员。
But you also trust your technical people.
很快,我们就开发出了所有这些算法和神经网络,它们开始处理我们的一部分搜索工作。
And soon enough, were developing all these algorithms and these neural nets that were, you know, doing some of our search.
然后,你知道的,没人提出Transformer架构时,我们已经能做得越来越多。
And then, you know, no one came up with a transformer and we were able to do more and more.
不过确实如此。
But yeah.
我是说,我们当时确实有基础支撑。
I mean, we so we had the underpinnings.
我们拥有研发能力。
We had the r and d.
我们有几年确实投入不足,没有像应该的那样重视它。
We did underinvest for a number of years and didn't take it as seriously as, we should have.
但那时我们也已经为此开发了专用芯片。
But we also at the time, we had developed the chips for it.
比如TPU的历史可以追溯到...大概十二年前吧。
Like, the TPUs go back, I don't know, twelve years or something like that.
最初我们使用的是GPU。
Initially, we were using GPUs.
我们可能也是最早使用GPU的团队之一,后来用了FPGA,再后来尝试开发自己的芯片,现在已经迭代了无数代。
We're probably also among the earliest to use GPUs, and then we used FPGAs, and then we tried to develop our own chips, which have now evolved through a bazillion generations.
所以我想,关键在于对深度技术的信任——追求更高算力,开发更优算法。
So I I I guess it was that the trust into going after the deep tech, getting the more computation out, developing the algorithms.
与此同时,我们长期以来一直是计算领域的大投资者。
And in parallel, we were big investors in compute for a long time.
所以我们拥有数据中心已经很久很久了,规模之大我认为...好吧,亚马逊AWS也确实拥有相当大规模的数据中心,但极少有企业能拥有那种规模的数据中心,拥有自己的半导体芯片,拥有深度学习算法等等,具备整个技术栈的所有组件,从而能够在现代AI领域保持前沿水平。
So we've had the data centers for a long, long time, kind of on a scale that I don't think well, Amazon AWS also does have very sizable data centers, but very few have you know, that scale of data center, you know, have their own semiconductors, have, you know, the algo the deep learning algorithms and so forth to kind of all the components of the stack to be able to perform at the forefront of modern AI.
您如何看待...我是说,这项技术每年都在不断进步。
How are you thinking about I mean, the the technology keeps getting better every year.
关于人工智能未来会发展成什么样,不同人群持有多种不同的愿景。
There's there's a set of people who there's a lot of different visions for what artificial intelligence is going to look like.
人工智能真的能做到人类在电脑前能做的一切事情吗?
Are AIs really going to be able to do everything humans can do, at least in front of a computer?
或许更广泛地说,那样的世界会是什么样子?
Maybe more broadly, what will that world look like?
你对技术的发展方向有什么看法吗?
Do you have a view on that, on where the technology is going?
我是说,创新的速度确实令人惊叹,而且现在竞争非常激烈,正如你们所见,美国顶尖企业与中国顶尖企业之间都是如此。
I mean, is absolutely amazing, just the rate of innovation, and it's hugely competitive now, obviously, as all of you see between the top US companies, the top Chinese companies.
展开剩余字幕(还有 418 条)
是的,我的意思是,如果你一个月不看AI新闻,你就完全落伍了。
And it's yeah, I mean, like, you know, if you skip the news and AI for a month, you're, like, way behind.
就像,你知道的。
Like, you know.
那么它会发展到什么程度呢?
So where is it going to go?
我是说,我不知道...我想我们真的无从知晓。
I mean, I don't you know, I I think we just don't know.
智能是否存在上限?
Is there a ceiling to intelligence?
我想除了你提出的问题——比如它能否做到人类能做的任何事情之外,
I guess in addition to the question that you raised, like, can it do anything a person can do?
还存在另一个问题:它能做到哪些人类无法做到的事情?
There's the question, like, what things can it do that a person cannot do?
是啊。
Yeah.
这某种程度上是个超级智能的问题。
That's sort of a superintelligence question.
是啊。
Yeah.
而且我认为这还不得而知。
And I think that's just not known.
比如,一个事物能有多聪明?
Like, how smart can a thing be?
要知道,人类已经经历了数十万年的进化历程,还有数百万年的灵长类演化史。
You know, we've had however many hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution and, I don't know, whatever, millions of primate.
但相比AI的发展速度,那是个相当缓慢的过程。
But that's a pretty slow process, compared to what's going on with AI.
你认为我们准备好应对技术如此迅猛的发展速度了吗?
Do you think we're ready for the speed at which the technology is advancing?
我们真的准备好迎接技术发展的速度了吗?
Are we ready for the speed the technology is advancing?
我是说,看看目前的情况,我认为人们确实从技术中获益良多。
I mean, look, so far, I think people are getting definitely great use out of technology.
尽管各处都有悲观预测,但我觉得大家其实都获得了相当强的赋能。
I think even though there are doom and gloom forecasts here and there, like everybody's pretty well empowered.
说实话,AI时不时会犯些低级错误,所以你总得在旁边监督着它们。
And the AIs, truth be told, are periodically dumb enough that you're always, like, supervising them anyway.
但偶尔它们也会灵光一现,给你绝妙的主意。
But occasionally, they're brilliant and give you a great idea.
特别是对于非专业人士来说,偶尔...
And occasionally, especially as a non expert.
嗯,怎么说呢...
Well, like, whatever.
如果我想了解如何设计新的AI芯片,我猜可以咨询我们的专家设计师之类的。
If I wanna figure out how to create a new AI chip, I guess I could talk to our expert designers and stuff.
但最基础的情况是,我至少能掏出手机,和AI讨论这个问题。
But as a base case, I can at least I can whip out my phone, I can talk to an AI about it.
它可能会给我一个90%还算不错的概述,让我理解健康问题或其他什么。
It'll probably give me a 90 90% decent sort of overview and understand it or whatever, my health questions or whatnot.
我是说,我确实认为这让个人变得非常有能力,因为一般来说,你身边不可能随时都有各种领域的专家。
I mean, I I do think it makes individuals very empowered, because generally speaking, you don't have, like, experts in x y z all around you all the time.
我认为这种赋能能创造很多潜力,无论是在职业、企业、健康还是生活品质方面。
And I think that empowerment can create a lot of potential, whether it's career or enterprise or health or living well.
所以你看,我并不认为自己掌握了所有答案。
So look, I don't think I have all the answers.
我确实认为它在提升个人能力方面具有巨大潜力。
I just do think it has a huge potential to improve individual capability.
是的,这无疑是积极的愿景,它可能成为人类能力的强大增强器。
Yeah, that's certainly the positive vision, that it could be an incredible augmenter of human capability.
你能这样思考真的很棒。
It's great that you're thinking about it that way.
让我提个问题,这个问题在创业思想领袖课程中经常被问到,但在讨论AI时显得尤为贴切——因为斯坦福的每位学生,或许全国所有大学生都在思考:这项技术将如何影响他们的职业发展、就业机会以及未来的事业方向?
Let me ask a question, I think, which is always asked in the entrepreneurial thought leaders class, but is maybe particularly sailing with the discussion of AI because one of the things I think every student at Stanford and probably every college age student in the country is thinking about is, how will this technology affect their careers and their job opportunities and what they might go on to do?
我很好奇你对学生们有什么建议,关于他们未来面对就业市场时应该学习或思考些什么。
I'm curious if you have any advice for the students about what they ought to be studying or what they ought to be thinking about as they look at the job market in the future.
我是说,我认为要准确预测会发生什么非常困难。
I mean, I think it's super hard to predict exactly what will happen.
如果我们从互联网诞生到手机等技术的发展来看,这些已经深刻改变了我们的社会,无疑也改变了人们从事的工作、职业和学习方向。
I think if we look at from the advent of the web to cell phones and so forth, those have transformed our society profoundly, have transformed the kinds of jobs and careers and studies people do, for sure.
而人工智能100%会改变这一切。
And AI will 100% change that.
但我认为在快速变化的形势下,现在很难确切说明会改变什么。
But I think it's very hard right now, in a rapidly shifting landscape to say exactly what.
而且我们现在拥有的人工智能与五年前大不相同,与五年后也将完全不同。
And also the AI we have today is very different from the AI that we, well, had five years ago or the AI we are going to have in five years.
所以,是的,我也不知道。
So, yeah, I don't know.
我认为要真正预测确实很困难。
I think it's tough to really forecast.
我是说,我一定会利用AI来为你谋利。
I mean, I would for sure use AI to your benefit.
你能做的事情实在太多了。
There are just so many things that you can do.
对,就拿我个人来说,无论是为朋友或家人挑选礼物,还是为产品或艺术之类的事情头脑风暴新点子。
Yeah, I mean, just myself as an individual, whether it's choosing a gift for my friends or family or brainstorming new ideas for products or what have you or for art or something like that.
就像,我现在总是求助于AI,虽然它不会完全代劳——因为我通常会要求'给我五个点子'之类的。
Like, I just turn to AI all the time now, and it it doesn't do it for me because I always you know, I typically will ask, give me five ideas, blah blah blah.
你知道,可能其中三个点子某种程度上都是垃圾,但我能分辨出来。
And, you know, probably three of them are gonna be junk in some way, but I'll just be able to tell.
但会有两个点子蕴含闪光点,或者能帮我打开思路,让我可以完善和深入思考。
But two will have some grain of brilliance and, you know, or possibly put it in perspective for me or something like that that I'll be able to refine and think through my ideas.
让我插一个非常具体的问题。
Let me jump in with a really concrete question.
我们现场大约有250名学生。
So we have about two fifty students out there.
他们中很多都是本科生。
A lot of them are undergraduates.
其中相当一部分人尚未选定专业,因为斯坦福大学为本科生提供了很大的灵活性。
A great number of them have not selected their major yet because we give them a lot of flexibility here at Stanford for the undergraduates as well.
几年前,我们还能预测会有大批学生选择计算机科学作为专业。
A few years ago, we could predict that a large number would choose computer science as their major.
你是否建议他们继续选择计算机科学作为专业?
Are you recommending they continue to pick computer science as their major?
他们正在认真聆听。
They're listening closely.
我选择计算机科学是因为对它充满热情。
I mean, I chose computer science because I had a passion for it.
所以这对我来说是个无需思考的决定。
So it was kind of a no brainer for me.
我想可以说我也很幸运,因为这个领域当时正处于变革时期。
I guess you could say I was also lucky because I was also such a transformative field.
我不会仅仅因为现在AI在编程方面表现不错,就放弃选择计算机科学。
I wouldn't, like, not choose computer science just because, you know, AI can be decent at coding nowadays.
AI在很多方面都表现得相当不错。
AI is pretty decent at a lot of things.
编程恰好具有很高的市场价值,这就是为什么很多人选择这个领域。
Coding just happens to have, like, a lot of market value, which is why a lot of people pursue it.
而且,更好的编程能催生更好的AI。
And furthermore, you know, better coding makes for better AI.
因此许多像我们这样的公司都非常重视这一点。
So a lot of the companies like our own that work on it care a lot about it.
比如,我们在自己的编程工作中大量使用它,甚至用于算法构思等方面。
Like, we use it a lot for our own coding, and even for our algorithmic ideas and so forth.
但这正是因为编程是如此重要。
But that's because it's such an important thing.
所以我想我不会因为觉得AI擅长编程,就跑去转修比较文学之类的专业。
So I guess I wouldn't, I wouldn't go off and, like, switch to comparative literature because you think the AI is good at coding.
说实话,AI在比较文学方面可能更出色。
The AI is probably even better at comparative literature, just to be perfectly honest.
总之,是的。
Anyway Yeah.
我并非不尊重比较文学专业的学生,但要知道,当AI编写代码时,老实说有时会出错,犯下相当严重的错误。
Like, I don't mean to disrespect comparative literature majors, but just like, you know, when you when the AI writes a code, and just to be honest, sometimes it doesn't work, like, it'll make a mistake that's pretty significant.
比如,在比较文学论文中写错一个句子,不会造成那么严重的后果。
Like, you know, getting a sentence wrong in your essay about comparative literature isn't gonna, like, really have that consequence.
所以坦白说,AI更容易完成某些创造性工作。
So it's honestly easier for AI to do some of the creative things.
我认为这是个关于技术非常有趣的观察,因为人们通常倾向于认为AI擅长解决技术问题,但未必能完成我们认为是人类特质的事情,比如在对话中展现同理心。
I think it's a very interesting observation about the technology, because I think one inclination to say about AI is it's going to be really good at solving these technical problems, but it won't necessarily do the things we associate with humans, like being empathetic in a conversation.
如果你让这些AI引擎模拟对话,它实际上非常擅长为你构建复杂对话的框架。
And if you ask one of these AI engines to, say, simulate a conversation, it's actually pretty good at doing a lot of giving you the structure for a complicated conversation.
我很欣赏你指出了这种不确定性。
I like that you're pointing to that uncertainty.
我想再提一个问题,向观众开放,给大家一个提问的机会。
One more question that I want to open up to the audience so that we give people a chance to ask questions.
今年是工程学院成立一百周年。
So this is the one hundredth anniversary of the School of Engineering.
如果你是珍妮弗,需要为学院的第二个世纪规划蓝图,你会为工程学院的第二个百年考虑些什么?
If you were Jennifer and had to launch the school's second century, what would you be thinking about for the second century of the School of Engineering?
哇,好吧,这个规划责任重大啊。
Wow, okay, that's a big responsibility to kind of plan.
确实责任重大。
It is a big responsibility.
我的意思是,我可能会重新思考大学存在的意义。
I mean, I I guess I just would rethink what it means to have a university.
我知道这话听起来有点烦人。
I mean, I know that sounds kind of annoying.
这种话要是拉里说的,我肯定会对他很恼火。
That's the kind of thing Larry would say, and I would be really annoyed with him.
但是,你知道,我们拥有这种地理上集中的实体,比如那些建筑和豪华的讲堂。
But, you know, I mean, we have this geographically concentrated thing and there's like the buildings and the fancy lecture halls.
那个特别烦人的闪烁灯光。
That really annoying blinking light.
抱歉。
Sorry.
我忍不住要说。
I can't help it.
你们真的需要解决这个问题,不过现实点说,现在信息传播得非常快。
You guys need to you guys need to fix your but, but but realistically now, you know, information spreads very quickly.
许多大学,包括斯坦福在内,显然都已经转向了线上教学。
And many of the universities have, you know, obviously, whatever, gone online, including Stanford.
但MIT很早就推出了OpenCourseWare,还有各种初创公司如Coursera、Udacity等等都走上了这条路。
But, you know, MIT with the OpenCourseWare early on and all these startups that have gone this with whatever Coursera, Udacity, you name it.
所以教学资源正在扩散,现在任何人都可以上网学习这些内容。
So the teaching is sort of getting spread, and and anybody can go online now and learn about it.
你知道,你可以和AI对话,或者参加这些课程,观看YouTube视频。
You know, you can talk to an AI or take one of these classes and watch the YouTube videos.
所以我想是的。
So I guess I yeah.
拥有一所大学意味着什么?
What does it mean to have a university?
你是想最大化影响力吗?
Are you trying to maximize the impact?
那样的话,你知道,仅仅在地理上限制可能效果不会太好。
In that case, you know, probably just limiting it geographically is not gonna be so effective.
公平地说,我想湾区是个特别的地方。
To be fair, I guess, you know, in the Bay Area is kind of a special place.
不过,确实。
But, yeah.
我是说,我知道我有点东拉西扯在思考这个问题,但我觉得下个世纪工程学院和大学的概念可能不会和过去一样了。
I mean, I I know I'm kind of rambling here and thinking through, but, yeah, I just thought I don't know that for the coming century that, you know, the idea of school of engineering and the university is gonna mean the same thing as it as it used to.
我是说,人们四处流动,远程工作,跨地域协作。
I mean, people move around, work remotely, collaborate across.
这有点矛盾,因为我们正努力让人们实际回到办公室,我认为他们面对面工作时确实效率更高。
It's a little bit at odds because we're trying to get people actually into the office, and I think they do work better in person together.
但这只是在特定规模下成立。
But But that's at a certain particular scale.
比如,某种程度上,如果那边有100人聚在一起,其实也没什么问题。
Like, at some level, if you have 100 people together over there, it's kind of fine.
他们不必和其他100个人待在同一个地方。
They don't have to be at the same place as these other 100 people.
越来越多地看到,那些创造新事物的人往往与学历无关。
Increasingly, do see sort of individuals kind of who create new things sort of regardless of degree.
虽然我们聘用了很多学术明星,但也雇佣了大量没有学士学位之类的人,他们就是靠自己摸索,在某些奇怪的角落里把事情搞明白。
I mean, as much as we've hired a lot of academic stars, we've hired tons of people who don't have bachelor's degrees or anything like that, and they just figure things out, you know, on their own in some weird corner.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我觉得这是个非常难回答的问题。
I I think it's really hard question.
是啊。
Yeah.
我想我无法神奇地给你一个全新方案,但我确实认为当前这种模式不太可能延续到下个世纪。
I guess I don't feel like I'm gonna magically deliver you like the new recipe, but I I I just don't think this format is likely to be the one for the next hundred years.
你把这个话题引向了比我预期更深刻的层面,这很棒。
You took that in a deeper direction than I was that was great.
实际上确实更有深度
Actually, it was a bit deeper
听起来更像总统而非院长在发言。
Sounded more presidential than dean like.
我觉得他是在对你说话。
I think he's he's talking to you.
不过...我同意你的观点。
But you I I agree.
这适用于整个大学。
It applies to the whole university.
你实际上提出了关于大学最根本的问题,即大学的一部分关乎知识的创造与传承。
You actually surfaced the the most fundamental questions about the university, which is that that the you know, part of the university is about the the creation and transmission of knowledge.
这是其根本使命。
That's the fundamental mission.
随着技术进步,这些可以通过不同方式实现。
Those can be done in different ways as technology advances.
然后是关于将大量人才集中在一个地方相互碰撞的模式问题——这种模式当然催生了谷歌的诞生,并带来了许多伟大成果。
And then there's a question about the model of having kind of a density of talent all in one place bumping into each other, which, of course, was what led to you creating Google and has led to a lot of great things.
未来是否会出现替代大学校园这种生态系统的方案?
Will there be substitutes for that kind of ecosystem that gets created on a university campus?
或者说这种模式的根本性如何?它是否会持续存在?
Or how fundamental is that and will it continue to be?
我真的很感谢你在本次讨论中提出如此深刻的问题。
I actually thought that was I appreciate that you surfaced such a deep question in this session.
好的,我想确保我们给观众席上的其他人留些提问机会。
All right, I want to make sure we give some questions for other folks out in the audience.
那么詹妮弗,接下来请你来收集现场观众的一些问题。
So Jennifer, going turn to you to take some questions from the folks out here.
是的,创业思想领袖课程的学生们提前提交了问题,其中一部分已被选中。
Yes, so the students in the entrepreneurial thought leaders class submitted questions in advance and a number of those were selected.
所以在剩余的时间里,我们将回答几位学生的问题。
And so with the time we have left, we're going to have a few questions from our students.
我想第一个问题在这边。
I think the first one is over over here.
威道院长、莱文校长和谢尔盖·布林,感谢你们的时间。
Dean Widow, President Levin, and Sergei Brin, thank you for your time.
我是来自堪萨斯城的拉莎·巴夫,主修材料科学与工程及国际关系。
My name is Rasha Barve from Kansas City studying MS and E and IR.
我的第一个问题要问谢尔盖。
And my first question goes out to Sergei.
这实际上正好触及了我们刚才讨论的内容。
It actually just touches on what we were discussing.
谷歌很大程度上源自您关于PageRank的学术研究成果。
Google largely grew out of the academic work you authored on PageRank.
鉴于如今产业界驱动着如此多的创新,您是否仍认为学术界向产业界的输送管道至关重要?
And with industry now driving so much of today's innovation, do you still feel that the academia to industry pipeline is crucial?
如果是的话,您会如何加强这一管道?
And if so, how might you strengthen it?
嗯,这是个很好的问题。
Well, it's a great question.
学术界向产业界的输送管道是否至关重要?
Is the academia to industry pipeline crucial?
是的。
Yeah.
关于这个问题,我打算给你一个'我不知道'的答案。
I'm gonna give you an I don't know on that.
因为我想,你知道,当我还是研究生的时候,从一个新想法到它可能具有商业价值往往需要几十年时间。
Because I guess, you know, when I was a grad student, the sort of time from some new idea to it being maybe commercially valuable was many decades.
如果这个周期缩短了,那么这样做就不再那么有意义了。
If that compresses, then that no longer makes as much sense to do that.
我的意思是,在学术界,你有自由去长时间思考问题。
I mean, in academia, you have freedom to think about it for a while.
你可以申请资助,做这做那,基本上能花上几十年时间思考,然后慢慢沉淀。
You, whatever, you apply for grants, you do this and that, and you can kind of spend a couple decades thinking about it, and then it percolates.
然后,你知道的,最终可能会有某家大公司或你的初创企业去追求这个方向。
And then, you know, eventually, maybe there's some big company or your startup kind of pursues it.
问题是,如果这个时间线大幅缩短,那还合理吗?
The question is, does that make sense if that timeline shrinks a lot?
我认为确实有些方向是绝对合理的,而且我肯定,即使是人工智能领域,你也知道,斯坦福和其他大学的研究成果会周期性地涌现。
I think there are think there are certain things that for sure make sense and I definitely, you know, even with an AI, you know, periodically you pop with the Stanford research and other universities.
偶尔我们会雇佣那些人并与他们合作,诸如此类。
Occasionally, we, whatever, hire those folks and collaborate with them and whatnot.
但我不确定他们是否真的需要那么长的尝试期,比如试验某种新的注意力机制,花上几年时间实验,然后以某种形式将其引入工业界。
But I guess I don't know that they needed to have that sort of period of time that they were trying, whatever, some new attention thing, let's say, and they spent a couple years experimenting and then, you know, they took it to industry in one form or another.
显然,工业界也在做所有这些事情。
I mean, obviously, industry is also doing all those things.
所以这个论点可能不太站得住脚。
So probably not a huge argument for that.
那些彻底的新架构之类的东西呢?
Radical sort of new architectures and things?
也许吧。
Maybe.
但工业界将其规模化的速度会快得多。
But it's sort of, you know, the time that industry will scale it will be much faster.
量子计算倒是让我想到了这个。
I guess, you know, quantum computing comes to mind.
这个概念最早被提出时——不知道具体时间,好像是费曼在八十年代左右提出的量子计算构想。
There was sort of first brainstormed I don't know when did Feynman, like, in the eighties or something kind of postulate this idea of quantum computing.
现在有一大批公司都参与其中。
And now there are a bunch of companies that are are included.
他们某种程度上正在实践。
They're sort of doing it.
还有一些大学实验室尝试新的实现方法。
There are also university labs that try, like, new ways to do it.
这种情况可能有点难以定论。
That's kind of, like, on the fence maybe.
我想说的是,如果你有全新的想法——比如不是像我们这样做超导量子比特,也不是像许多初创公司那样做离子阱,而是有全新方案的话。
I I guess I would say if you have some completely new idea, like, you're not doing superconducting qubits like we are or whatever the trapped ions, like, a bunch of startups are, but you have some new way.
或许需要让它在大学里酝酿几年,这些事情确实挺难的。
Maybe you need to let it marinate in university for some number of years, those things are kinda hard.
这可能是有道理的。
It could make sense.
但到了某个阶段,如果你确信这个方向确实有前景,很可能就会以某种方式推进商业化。
But then at some point, if you decide it's really compelling, you're probably gonna go ahead and take it commercial in one way or another.
是的。
Yeah.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我想给你一个明确的答案,因为现在顶尖公司确实在投资更多基础研究。
I wanna give you a clear cut answer because, the top companies now do invest in much more fundamental research.
我认为随着AI开始见效,这些投资正在获得回报。
And I think it's sort of with AI starting to pay off that those investments are paying off.
所以我猜这会改变你从事项目的比例分配。
So I guess I I guess it would shift the proportion of endeavors that you would do.
但我确实认为仍有些事情需要十年左右更纯粹的研究,公司可能会更不愿意追求,因为产品化周期实在太长了。
But I I do think there are still some things that do that do take, you know, like the decade of kind of more pure research, that maybe companies are gonna be more reluctant to pursue because that's just too long a time to market.
好的。
Alright.
下一个问题,我想是在这边。
Next question, I think, is over here.
大家好。
Hi, everyone.
我叫Arnav,是一名计算机科学与数学专业的大一学生。
My name is Arnav, and I'm a freshman studying computer science and math.
我的问题是提给谢尔盖·布林的。
My question is for Sergey Brin.
随着AI以前所未有的速度发展,像我这样年轻的创业者应该采取怎样的思维方式,才能避免重蹈覆辙?
As AI accelerates at this unprecedented rate, what mindset should young aspiring entrepreneurs like myself adopt to avoid repeating earlier mistakes?
应该采取怎样的思维方式才能避免重蹈覆辙?
What mindset should you adopt to avoid repeating earlier mistakes?
是的。
Yeah.
当你有了很酷的可穿戴设备创意时,一定要在搞出跳伞飞艇之类的噱头前彻底完善它。
When you have, like, your cool new wearable device idea, really fully bake it before you have a cool stunt involving skydiving in airships.
只是想逗逗你。
Just want to bug you.
不。
No.
其实我挺喜欢我们当年为Google Glass做的那种尝试。
I actually I like the sort of what we were doing back in the day for Google Glass.
这就像,你知道,一个之前犯错的例子。
It's like, you know, an example of prior mistakes.
但我觉得我当时试图过早将其商业化,在我们还没能把它做得更符合成本效益、从消费者角度看更完善之前。
But I think I tried to commercialize it too quickly before, you know, we could make it more, you know, as cost effectively as we need to and as polished as we need to from a consumer standpoint and so forth.
我有点,你知道,操之过急了。
I sort of, you know, jumped the gun.
我当时还想着,哦,我就是下一个史蒂夫·乔布斯。
And I thought, oh, I'm the next Steve Jobs.
我能搞定这个东西。
I can make this thing.
嗒哒。
Ta da.
这可能就是其中之一。
That's probably one.
我想是的,如果让我总结的话。
I guess, yeah, if I encapsulate it.
是的。
Yeah.
每个人都以为自己是下一个史蒂夫·乔布斯。
Everybody thinks they're the next Steve Jobs.
我确实犯过这个错误,但你知道,他是个相当独特的人。
I've definitely made that mistake, but, you know, he was a pretty unique kind of guy.
所以没错。
So yeah.
我想说的是,确保你的想法已经酝酿得足够久,开发得足够深入,达到足够成熟的阶段,然后再进入那个预期不断攀升、开支不断增加、必须在特定时间交付的轨道。
I I I guess I would say, you know, make sure you've baked your idea long enough and developed it sort of long enough to a far enough point before there's sort of a treadmill you get onto where you're sort of outside expectations increase, the expenses increase, and you're sort of then you kinda have to deliver by a certain time.
你可能无法在那段时间内完成所有需要做的事情。
And you might not have that you know, you might not be able to do everything you need to do in that amount of time.
你可能会遇到这种期望的雪球效应,我想,它不断累积,而你却没有给自己足够的时间去处理它们。
You kinda get this snowball, I guess, of expectations that happens and you don't give yourself all the time that you need to process them.
这就是我本想要避免的错误。
That's the mistake I would have tried to avoid.
所有
All
好的。
right.
我想我们要转到这边来。
I think we're gonna go over to this side.
你好,感谢你的演讲。
Hi, thank you for the talk.
这个问题是——我叫伊沙姆·巴尔卡塔克,是斯坦福大学的大一新生。
This question is So my name is Isham Barkatake, I'm an undergraduate freshman at Stanford University.
这个问题是给谢尔盖·布林和詹妮弗的。
This question is for Sergey Brin and Jennifer.
我们看到许多AI公司通过扩展数据和计算能力来改进大型语言模型。
So we see a lot of AI companies improving large language models via scaling data and scaling compute.
我的问题是,一旦我们耗尽数据和计算资源,您认为下一个发展方向会是什么?
My question is, once we do run out of data and once we do run out of compute, what do you think will be the next direction?
会是采用新架构吗?比如Transformer的替代方案?
Would it be in newer architecture, something an alternative to transformers?
还是更好的学习方法?
Or would it be a better learning method?
比我们现在用来训练这些大型语言模型的监督学习或强化学习更好的方法?
Something better than like supervised learning or RL that we use to train these large language models?
或者您之前考虑过的完全不同的方向?
Or is it a completely different direction that you have thought of before?
谢谢。
Thank you.
是的。
Yeah.
可以从我的角度来看这个问题。
Can take it from my point of view.
我是说,你列举的所有这些因素,我认为其实早已比扩大计算规模和增加数据量更为重要。
I mean, all of the things that you listed, I would say, have already been bigger factors than scaling computers, scaling data.
我想这正是人们注意到规模扩张的原因——因为你们在建设数据中心和购买芯片。
I think that's sort of why people notice the scaling because you're building data centers and buying chips.
确实,OpenAI和Anthropic都发表过关于不同类型规模定律的论文。
Well, there were all the publications from OpenAI and Anthropic about, like, different kinds of scaling laws.
所以我认为这吸引了大量关注。
So I think that attracts a lot of attention.
但如果你仔细梳理就会发现,实际上过去十年左右算法进步的速度甚至超过了规模扩张。
But I think if you carefully line things up, you'll see that actually the algorithmic progress has outpaced even the scaling over the last decade or something.
其实早在研究生时期,我就见过类似N体问题的分析图表。
At some point, actually, while ago, many while I was in grad school, I think I saw this kind of plot for, like, the n body problem.
你知道的,就像存在引力作用时物体四处飞散的情况。
You know, like, you have gravitation, they're all flying around.
实际上,自从上世纪五十年代人们开始担忧这个问题以来,直到我读到九十年代资料时,计算能力的摩尔定律增长已经非常巨大。
And it actually there's been huge Moore's law increase in compute over since people started worrying about that in the fifties to I don't know, by the time I read about nineties.
但实际上,解决N体问题的算法发展速度远超计算能力的提升。
But actually, the algorithms to do the n body problem far outpaced, that compute scale up.
所以我认为你会发现,像我们这样的公司永远不会拒绝站在计算技术的最前沿。
So I think you're gonna find that, you know, companies like ours are never gonna turn down being at the frontier, of compute.
不过确实如此。
But that's yeah.
这就像是主菜(算法工作)之后的甜点,计算能力只是锦上添花。
That's just sort of an that's the dessert after, you know, your main course in the veggies of actually having done your algorithmic work.
我想插句话,关于计算资源耗尽或数据耗尽的问题,特别是计算资源方面,我们这里已经非常熟悉这种情况了。
I I guess I'll jump in and say that in terms of running out of compute or running out of data or specifically running out of compute, we're very familiar with that here already.
事实上,大学很难拥有像企业那样的计算资源,这是个现实问题。
It's actually an issue that it's difficult for a university to have the type of compute that the companies have.
我们甚至远远达不到那个水平。
We don't even come close.
但这确实促使我们在计算资源有限的情况下进行大量创新工作,研究如何以少胜多。
But that does lead us to do quite a bit of innovative work in what happens when you have less compute and how to make more of less.
所以我们在这方面已经做了很多工作。
So we do a lot of that work here already.
下一个问题,我想还是这边提问。
Next question, I think also on this side.
大家好。
Hi, everyone.
我叫安迪·萨沃兹。
My name is Andy Savodzi.
我是化学工程专业的二年级研究生。
I am a second year graduate student in chemical engineering.
我的问题想问所有演讲嘉宾。
My question is to all the speakers.
你们认为哪种新兴技术的长期影响被严重低估了?
What which emerging technology do you think is seriously being underestimated in terms of its long term impact?
谢谢。
Thank you.
好的,哪种新兴技术正被严重低估?
Okay, what emergent technology is being seriously underestimated?
哇。
Wow.
好吧。
Okay.
我显然不能说人工智能,因为这很难辩驳,但它可能被低估了。
I probably obviously can't say AI because it's hard to argue, but it could be underestimated.
它可能被低估了。
It could be underestimated.
它可能被低估了,但此刻或许已不算新兴技术了。
It could be underestimated, but probably not emergent at this point.
我们不能用那个。
We couldn't use that one.
我是说,很多人确实对量子计算及其带来的影响感到好奇。
I mean, a lot of people do wonder about quantum quantum computing, what it will bring.
这可能不是我用来回答这个问题的首选方向。
It's probably not what I would hang my hat on to answer that question.
尽管我绝对支持我们在量子计算等方面的努力,但仍有诸多未知数。
Although I'm a definitely support sort of our efforts in quantum computing and so forth, but there are many unknowns.
从技术角度讲,我们甚至无法确定P是否不等于NP。
I mean, technically speaking, we don't even know if p is not equal to NP.
在计算领域,有太多未解之谜,而量子算法仅针对特定、高度结构化的问题。
Like, on the computation front, there are just so many unanswered questions, and the quantum algorithms are specific for particular, very particular structured problems.
话虽如此,我仍是个坚定的支持者。
That said, I'm a big proponent.
但很难确切指出其具体价值。
But it's hard to put my finger on that.
或许AI和量子计算在材料科学中的应用值得关注——我们能利用性能全面提升的新型材料做些什么?
I mean, perhaps the applications of both AI and and for them at quantum computing to, material science, because what could we do with different kinds of materials that are, better in a whole host of ways?
我是说,可能性几乎是无限的。
I mean, kind of the sky's the limit.
其实我也在考虑材料领域,部分原因是许多低估现象相当有趣。
I was thinking of materials as well, actually, but partly because a lot of the the underestimate is sort of interesting.
现在有如此多的关注点集中在技术创新机会上。
There's so much attention right now on on, you know, like, are the opportunities for technological innovation.
像核聚变能源或量子计算等许多尚未成熟的技术,很难说人们现在在AI领域忽视了它们。
So many technologies that aren't there yet, like fusion energy or quantum, it'd be hard to say that people are missing them and not paying any attention to them right now in AI.
但我认为材料科学会是其中之一。
But I think materials, in my mind, would be one of them.
生物学和健康领域的某些机会,特别是分子科学中的众多突破,可能比AI获得的关注少,但分子科学领域也正在发生巨大变革。
Probably some of the opportunities in biology and health, of which there are many in molecular science, that's probably getting less attention than AI right now, but there's also a huge revolution in molecular science.
我正想说同样的话。
I was going to say exactly the same thing.
我看着聚光灯不断移动,现在AI确实占据着巨大焦点,但它曾照亮生物学领域,这种关注不应停止。
I kind of watch the spotlight move around, and the spotlight is very large on AI right now, but it's it's it was shining on biology, and it shouldn't stop shining on it.
合成生物学领域正在发生各种令人振奋的事情。
There's all kinds of things going on in synthetic biology, very exciting things.
所以我认为我们需要稍微拓宽一下关注范围。
So I think we need to broaden that spotlight a little bit.
好的。
Okay.
这边请。
Over here.
你好。
Hi.
我叫Jeremy,是一名来自新加坡的学生。
My name is Jeremy, and I'm a student coming from Singapore.
我今天的问题是想问Sergei,这更偏向个人方面。
My question today is for Sergei, and it's a bit more personal personal.
我们都在成长过程中有过一些限制性信念,我很好奇你在创建谷歌时曾有哪些限制性或根深蒂固的信念需要改变?这些改变又如何影响了你的决策过程?
So we all grew up having limiting beliefs, and I was curious of what limiting beliefs or deeply held beliefs you had while building Google that you had to change, and how did that affect your decision making?
谢谢。
Thank you.
限制性信念。
Limiting beliefs.
是的。
Yeah.
我想,我的生活经历了几次巨大的转折。
I I guess, like, I had a very like, my life expanded pretty dramatically at a bunch of stages.
我出生在苏联时期的莫斯科,那是个完全不同的世界。
Like, I I was born in Moscow in The Soviet Union, and it's very different.
你知道的,非常贫穷。
You know, very poor.
嗯,那时候所有人都很穷。
Well, everybody was very poor.
我和父母、祖母住在一个400平方英尺的小公寓里,每天要爬五层楼梯。
And I lived in a little 400 square foot apartment with my parents and my grandmother, and I had to walk up five flights of stairs.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我那时并没有真正思考过外面的世界。
I didn't really think about the world outside.
我想我很幸运,父亲对外界有所察觉。
I guess I was lucky that my father kind of got a hint of the world outside.
他参加了波兰的一个会议,了解到西方世界的样子后决定举家搬迁,这在当时家族里极具争议。
He, I guess, went to some conference in Poland, where they told him what the Western world was like, and he decided to move us, which was very controversial at the time in the family.
但最终他成功带我们来到美国,虽然依旧贫困,不得不白手起家。
But eventually he got to The US and we're still, you know, very poor and had to make our way out of having nothing.
那时候我还得学习一门新语言,放弃了很多。
And, you know, at the time I had to learn a new language, gave up.
你知道,我得重新结交所有朋友。
You know, I had to meet all make all new friends.
所以这段转型期充满挑战,却也令人觉醒。
So it was sort of challenging transition, but awakening.
我觉得当我进入斯坦福研究生院时,情况有些类似,教授们给予我充分的信任和自由,加州这个地方本身就因其传统而让人在思想上感到无比解放。
And I think when I came to grad school at Stanford, it was sort of a similar, like now I had sort of this, all this freedom in the way the professors entrusted me and just something about California that was very freeing and liberating in thought given the tradition of the state.
说实话,加州现在某种程度上正在背离这种传统,不过我也不想过多抱怨。
One that we're a little bit getting away from in California, if I'm being honest, but I'm not gonna complain about that.
但我想正是这段经历。
But I guess it's this experience.
我意识到我有点倒着回答你的问题了。
I guess I'm answering your question backwards.
这其实算不上什么限制性信念。
It's not like really a limiting belief.
鉴于我的个人经历,我曾经历过看似痛苦但最终带来回报的世界观拓展。
I guess I had had the experience of expanding my world in ways that seemed very painful at the times, but later paid off, just because of my personal history.
我想说的是,那些充满挑战的转变最终都可能带来回报。
And I guess, you know, those challenging transitions can pay off.
没错。
Right.
下一个问题。
Next question.
你好。
Hello.
感谢各位的到来。
Thank you to all of you for being here.
我叫卢芭芭。
My name is Lubaba.
我是管理科学与工程专业的二年级硕士生,来自摩洛哥卡萨布兰卡。
I'm a second year master's student in management science and engineering, originally from Casablanca, Morocco.
我的问题也是提给你的,谢尔盖。
My question is also for you, Sergei.
同样更偏向个人方面。
It's also more on the personal side.
你已取得了大多数人难以企及的成就。
So you've achieved success at the scale most people never experience.
审视你现在的生活,你对美好生活的定义是什么?
Looking at your life now, what is your definition of a good life?
除了这些成就之外,对你而言什么才是真正重要的?
What does it mean to you beyond all these accomplishments?
谢
Thank
谢。
you.
好的,谢谢。
Okay, thanks.
美好生活的定义是什么?
What is the definition of a good life?
嗯,我想那就是能够享受你的人生,无论你创造了什么。
Well, I guess that's, you know, being able to enjoy your life, you know, whatever you build.
我喜欢拥有家庭。
I like to have family.
我的一个孩子在这里。
I have one of my kiddos here.
我的女朋友也在这里。
My girlfriend is here.
你知道,我很感激能和他们共度美好时光。
You know, I feel grateful to be able to spend quality time with them.
我确实非常感激在这个阶段还能受到智力上的挑战。
I do feel quite grateful to be able to be intellectually challenged sort of at this stage.
其实我在新冠疫情爆发前一个月就退休了。
I actually retired like a month before COVID hit.
这简直是最糟糕的决定。
And it was like the worst decision.
我曾幻想坐在咖啡馆里研究物理,那是我当时的热情所在。
I had this vision that I was gonna sit in cafes and study physics, which was my passion at the time.
是啊,这没能实现,因为咖啡馆都关门了。
And yeah, that didn't work because there were no more cafes.
是啊,我也不知道。
And yeah, I don't know.
我当时就是有点闷闷不乐,感觉自己状态在螺旋式下滑,思维也不够敏锐。
I was just kind of stewing and kind of felt myself spiraling, kind of not being sharp.
然后我就想,哦,我得回办公室工作,但那时候办公室已经关闭了。
And then I was like, oh, I gotta get back to the office, which the time was closed.
不过几个月后,我们开始有部分同事返回办公室,我也偶尔去一下,后来就逐渐把越来越多时间投入到后来被称为Gemini的项目上,这真的非常令人兴奋。
But, you know, after a number of months, we started to have some folks going to the office, and I started to do that occasionally, and then started spending more and more time on what later became called Gemini, which is super exciting.
能够拥有这样一个技术创新的出口,我觉得这比当初如果坚持退休要有意义得多。
And to be able to have that technical creative outlet, I think that's very rewarding as opposed to if I'd, like, stayed retired.
我觉得那会是个重大错误。
I think that would have been a big mistake.
好的。
All right.
我想我们还有时间再讨论一两个问题,这边应该还有。
I think we have time for one or two more, I believe, over on this side.
大家好,非常感谢各位的到来。
Hello, thank you guys all so much for being here.
我叫刘斯坦利,是大一新生,计划攻读管理科学与工程专业。
My name is Stanley Liu, I'm a freshman planning on studying Management Science and Engineering.
我想向三位都提一个问题。
And a question for all three of you.
先说点背景,在来到这里之前我其实非常害怕——因为这里的每个人都才华横溢。
So for some context, like before arriving here I was absolutely terrified because everyone here is like super talented.
我当时就想:这是什么情况?
I'm like, what is going on?
完全不明白自己为何会在这里,感觉每个人都比我聪明得多。
I have no clue why I'm here, and everyone just seems way too smart for me.
但认识大家之后,我发现其实都很接地气,都是普通人。
But after getting to know people, I realized they're all just really relatable and normal people.
那么请问三位——你们被视为世界顶尖的,但如果有件能让听众感到亲切的真实小事,会是什么呢?
So for all three of you, you guys are viewed as like some of the best leaders, innovators in the world, But if there's one thing you'd like to share that is reassuringly relatable and human about yourself, what would that be?
好的。
Yeah.
你想先开始吗,抱歉,这位同学?
You wanna start, sorry, guy?
好的。
Okay.
我先分享,然后我会试着收回这句话。
I'm gonna share it, and then I'm going to try to undo it.
不过好吧。
But okay.
我意识到有时我会不好意思问自己不懂的事情,但我还是会继续。
I realize that sometimes I'm embarrassed to ask things I don't know, but I will go ahead.
等等。
Wait.
管理科学与工程是什么?
What is management science and engineering?
就像是《呆伯特》漫画里那种,我要当管理者的感觉吗?
Like, is it like a Dilbert kind of, like, I'm gonna manage?
这是怎么运作的?
How does that work?
这是一门课程。
It's a class.
这是一门课程。
It's a class.
这是一个专业。
It's a major.
等等。
Wait.
这是个系。
This It's a department.
管理科学这门课。
The class of management science.
我想我本该更仔细阅读细节的。
Is that the I guess I should have read the details more.
是主修专业。
It's major.
它叫管理科学,然后呢?
It's called management science and then?
像是系部那种。
Like the department.
这是一个系部。
It's a department.
这是一个系部。
It's a department.
是的。
Yes.
但你们具体学什么?
But what do you study?
比如,具体有哪些课程?
Like, what are the classes?
管理科学与工程运营。
So management science and operate and engineering.
我简单说一下,他们刚庆祝了二十五周年纪念,但这个系是由三个部门合并而成的:工业工程、运筹学和工程经济系统。
I'm going to just say they just had their twenty fifth anniversary, but they were the merger of three departments, industrial engineering, operations research, and engineering economic systems.
所以我想这能让你对他们研究的领域有个大致了解。
So I think that of gives you a little triangle there of what they do.
有些大学会单独设立工业工程或运筹学专业。
So some universities will have an industrial engineering or operations research.
我们这里把这些领域都整合在管理科学与工程系,这个系还赞助了创业思想领袖研讨会,也就是我们现在
We have this all bundled together here in management science and engineering, which is the department that sponsors the entrepreneurial thought leaders seminar, which is what we are
好的。
Okay.
正在进行的这个活动。
Conducting right now.
好的。
Alright.
嗯,我之前确实不太了解这个,这真是我的尴尬真相。
Well, I guess I didn't really know that, so that's my embarrassing truth.
不过我很高兴我问了这个问题。
But I'm glad I asked.
让我显得平易近人的是,我能向谢尔盖·布林解释清楚事情。
What makes me relatable is that I can explain things to Sergey Brin.
请关注他们。
Pay attention to them.
约翰,我就不为难你了,我们进入最后一个问题。
I'll let you off the hook, John, and we'll go to our last question.
我们还有最后一个问题吗?
Do we have one more question?
我想我们还有。
I think we do.
是的。
Yeah.
我们可以
We can
再问一个问题。
ask one more.
嗨,我叫齐娜。
Hi, my name is Zina.
实际上我是这门课程的助教。
I'm actually the course assistant for the class.
感谢你们的到来,能上这最后一堂课真是太好了。
So thank you for being here, and we it's a great thing that we can have this last class.
我想问一个我们经常问嘉宾的问题:您会给学生们什么建议,告诉他们该如何安排时间以保持领先优势?
I'm going to ask you something that we ask a lot of our speakers usually, is to give a recommendation to the students as to what do you do with your time to stay on top of things.
您刚才提到您很喜欢保持敏锐,紧跟人工智能等领域的最新动态。
And you just said you really like staying sharp and being on top of what's happening in AI and whatnot.
那你平时读什么书呢?
So what books do you read?
你在车里会听哪些播客节目?
What podcasts do you listen to in your car?
好的。
Okay.
我尽量在不做广告的情况下回答这个问题。
I'm gonna try to do this without advertising or so.
嗯,好吧。
Well okay.
我喜欢这样做,但你们现在不应该尝试,因为我们即将推出更好的版本。
So the thing I like to do, but you shouldn't do it now because we have, like, way better version coming.
不过我经常在车里和Gemini Live对话,向它提问。
But I do talk to Gemini live in the car often, and I ask.
但目前公开版本还不是我们的最佳版本,所以今天你们最好不要尝试。
But the publicly available version right now is not our good version, so, like, you shouldn't do it today.
但给我几周时间正式推出我能接触到的版本,因为目前公开版本背后运行的还是个老古董模型。
But give me a few weeks to actually ship what I have access to, because we have like an ancient model behind it in the publicly released version right now.
有点尴尬。
It's little embarrassing.
但我确实会随便问它些问题,你知道的,各种事情。
But I do like ask it like, you know, whatever.
我想开发个数据中心,需要什么就问什么。
I wanna develop a data center, you know, whatever I need.
这种电力需要几百兆瓦?那种电力需要多少?
How many hundreds of megawatts of this kind of power, that kind of power?
大概要花多少钱?
How much it's gonna cost?
我开车时就随便和它聊这些。
And I just talk to it about stuff on my drive.
好的。
Okay.
这确实有点像Gemini的自我宣传。
That does seem kind of self advertising with Gemini.
我是说,我确实会定期听一大堆播客。
I mean, I do periodically listen to a whole bunch of podcasts.
其实我最喜欢的是All In那帮家伙。
I like the, the All In Guys are actually one of my favorites.
他们都是很棒的主持人。
And they're great hosts.
我们刚在佛罗里达拜访了另一位播客主本·夏皮罗。
We just visited Ben Shapiro, another podcaster down in we were in Florida.
参观了他的录音室。
Got to see his studio.
说实话,很多播客主本人见面时都挺有意思的。
I mean, a bunch of these podcasters are actually pretty fun to meet in person.
不过,好吧,我猜这不是你了解它的方式。
But, yeah, I guess, okay, that's not how you're gonna learn about it.
你会去听,但我确实只是听听看他们有什么新鲜事。
You're gonna, but but I do just listen to them and see what's up.
不过我更喜欢在开车时进行互动讨论,所以这就是为什么我会和AI聊天,尽管听起来有点尴尬。
But but I do prefer to have an interactive discussion on my drive, so that's why I talk to the AI, as embarrassing as that sounds.
好的。
Okay.
我觉得这实际上是对未来的一瞥。
Sort of a glimpse of the future, I think, actually.
这是个不错的结束方式。
That's a good way to end.
我们可能都会这么做
We'll probably all be doing it
那么,谢谢你,约翰。
So, thank you, John.
谢谢你,谢尔盖。
Thank you, Sergei.
我还要感谢Emily Ma。
I also wanted to thank Emily Ma.
Emily是斯坦福大学的兼职讲师。
Emily is a Stanford adjunct lecturer.
Emily是这门课程的联合讲师。
Emily is a co instructor of the course.
她同时也是谷歌员工,她预见到了这次活动的潜力并与我们合作。
She's also a Google employee, and she saw the potential for this event and partnered with us.
非常感谢大家。
So thank you very much.
感谢各位莅临,共同庆祝工程学院成立一百周年。
Thank you all for being here, for celebrating the School of Engineering's one hundredth year.
这是为我们第一个百年画上句号的完美方式,让我们拭目以待未来。
This was a perfect way to close out our first century, and let's see what happens next.
谢谢。
Thank you.
谢谢。
Thank you.
谢谢。
Thank you.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。