本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我的朋友埃里克·乔格森花了几年时间,阅读了埃隆写过的所有内容、所有关于埃隆的著作,并观看了埃隆参加过的每一场访谈,然后将埃隆最有用的思想整理成我现在手中拿着的这本书——《埃隆之书》。
My friend Eric Jorgenson has spent a few years and thousands and thousands of hours reading everything that Elon has written, reading everything that has written about Elon, watching every single interview that Elon has ever given, and then he compiled all of Elon's most useful ideas into the book that I'm holding in my hand, is The Book of Elon.
副标题:埃隆最实用的思想,出自他本人之口。
The subtitles Elon's Most Useful Ideas in His Own Words.
我将朗读一段埃里克关于他从中获得的益处的描述,之后所有内容都将直接呈现埃隆本人的原话。
I'm going to read one line from Eric about the benefit that he experienced from doing this, and then from here on out, every other thing will be Elon in his own words.
埃里克写道:对我来说,埃隆代表了一种信念——我能够做到的,远超我曾经的想象。
Eric writes, to me, Elon represents the idea that I am capable of more than I ever imagined.
因此,我将按照时间顺序,逐条分享我在反复阅读这本书时所做的笔记和重点摘录。
And so I'm just going to run through in chronological order all the notes and highlights I took from reading and rereading this book.
我的目标是让这本书读起来仿佛埃隆正在直接对你和我讲话。
The idea is I want this to feel as if Elon is speaking directly to you and I.
所以书的开篇,埃隆说:我不介意我的遗产是准确还是不准确,只要我在临终时能确信自己为意识的未来做了正确的事。
So it starts out, Elon says, I don't mind if my legacy is accurate or inaccurate as long as I die feeling I've done the right thing for the future of consciousness.
埃隆给出了大量建议,核心是确保你过着有意义的生活——我认为,让他人生活变得更好,就是建造事物的意义所在。
Elon gives a lot of advice centered around making sure that you're living a useful life, building things that make other people's lives better is the way I think about this.
他说,你可以选择不平凡。
He says, you could choose to not be ordinary.
你可以选择不遵从父母教给你的常规。
You could choose not to conform to the conventions taught to you by your parents.
普通人也有能力选择变得非凡。
It's possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary.
要做个有用的人。
Be useful.
我人生成功的标准是我能完成多少有用的事情?
The measure of success in my life is how many useful things can I get done?
我每天早上醒来都会问:今天我怎样才能更有用?
I wake up in the morning and ask, how can I be useful today?
我希望最大化我的效用。
I want to maximize my utility.
我努力采取最有可能提高未来变得更好的概率的行动。
I try to take the set of actions most likely to improve the probability that the future will be good.
为你的人类同胞做些有益的事。
Do useful things for your fellow human beings.
要有所贡献,做到产出多于消耗,这很难。
It is hard to be useful, to contribute more than you consume.
你能否对社会产生净正面贡献?
Can you have a positive net contribution to society?
以此为目标。
Aim for that.
我非常尊重那些踏实工作、做有益之事的人。
I have a lot of respect for someone who puts in an honest day's work to do useful things.
我钦佩任何为人类做出积极贡献的人。
I admire anyone making a positive contribution to humanity.
然后有人问埃隆一个问题:你怎么知道自己在提供帮助呢?
Then Elon was asked the question, like, how do you know if you're helping?
我很喜欢他的回答。
And I liked his answer here.
你帮助了多少人,再乘以你平均每人提供的帮助程度?
How many people did you help multiplied by how much help you provided each person on average?
对于你正在尝试创造的任何产品,问问自己:它相比当前技术水平提升了多少实用性,以及它会影响多少人。
For any product you're trying to create, ask yourself utility improvement compared to the current state of the art multiplied by how many people it would affect.
为少数人带来巨大改变,与为大量人群带来微小改善,同样伟大。
Building something that makes a big difference to a small number of people is just as great as something that makes a small difference for a vast number of people.
并非每个产品都能改变世界,但如果它能让人们的生活变得更好,那就很棒。
Not every product will change the world, but if it's making people's lives better, that's great.
接着,他谈到自己正努力通过发展新技术来让未来变得更好。
And so then he talks about what he's trying to do is make the future better by developing new technology.
除非我们主动推动,否则未来不会自动到来。
The future will not get here fast enough unless we force it.
我得出结论:如果我们能推动世界知识的进步,能做些拓展意识范围和规模的事情,我们就更能提出正确的问题,变得更加开明。
I came to the conclusion that if we can advance the knowledge of the world, if we can do things that expand the scope and scale of consciousness, then we're better able to ask the right questions and become more enlightened.
于是有人接着问他一个问题。
And so he's asked a follow-up to this.
你认为你最核心的技能是什么?
What do you think is your most core skill?
他说,我致力于利用技术推动人类进步。
He says, I devote myself to the advancement of humanity using technology.
我最核心的个人能力是技术。
My core personal competence is technology.
我想创造令人惊叹的新技术,让人一看就感到震撼。
I want to build wondrous new technologies where you feel awe when you see it.
这怎么可能发生?
How does that even happen?
这怎么可能实现?
How is that even possible?
接着他谈到了创办公司的动机,并向其他创业者提供建议。
And then he talks about the motivations behind starting his companies, and he's giving advice to fellow entrepreneurs.
不要因为想成为创业者或想赚钱而创办公司。
Don't start a company because you wanna be an entrepreneur or because you wanna make money.
从这个角度来思考会更好。
It is better to approach from this angle.
你能构建出什么对你来说真正有用、而你希望世界上已经存在的东西?
What is the useful thing you could build that you wish existed in the world?
我并不是从风险调整后回报率最高,或者我认为最有可能成功的角度来创办公司的。
I did not start companies from the standpoint of what's the best risk adjusted rate of return or what I think could be successful.
我只是找到那些必须发生的事情,并努力让它们发生。
I just find things that need to happen and try to make them happen.
我觉得这些事情必须被完成。
I thought these things needed to get done.
即使我的钱亏了,也没关系。
If my money was lost, okay.
但仍然值得去尝试。
It was still worth trying.
一旦你弄清楚了该做什么,他说,就试着找其他人和你一起合作来实现它。
And then once you figure out what to work on, he says, then try to get other people to work with you to create that thing.
不断把它做得更好。
Keep making it better and better.
如果你创造出了有用的东西,金钱自然会随之而来。
If you create something useful, money will be the result.
一个运转良好的经济体系会奖励有用商品和服务的创造。
A properly working economy rewards the creation of useful goods and services.
成功的创业者形形色色,各有不同。
Successful entrepreneurs come in all sizes, shapes, and flavors.
我不确定是否有一种特定的特质能定义他们。
I'm not sure there's any one particular trait that makes them.
如果非要说有一个,那就是对产品质量有着近乎偏执的追求。
If there is only one, have an obsessive nature about the quality of the product.
在这种情况下,强迫症反而是好事。
In this context, being obsessive compulsive is a good thing.
因此,非常非常非常喜欢你所做的事情,是一个巨大的优势。
Given that, really, really, really liking what you do is a big advantage.
如果你喜欢你所做的事情,即使不在工作时,你也会一直想着它。
If you like what you're doing, you think about it even when you're not working.
接着他谈到了创办公司必然伴随的痛苦。
And then he talks about the inevitable pain that comes from building a company.
我总是跟你们说,我最喜爱的创业格言之一来自四季酒店的创始人。
I always tell you my one of my favorite maxims from the history of entrepreneurship comes from the founder of Four Seasons.
他说,卓越就是承受痛苦的能力。
He says excellence is the capacity to take pain.
埃隆说,我应对心理问题的方式是确保你真正关心你所做的事情,然后去承受痛苦。
Elon says, my way of dealing with mental problems is to make sure you really care about what you're doing and then take the pain.
在下一页,他进一步阐述了这一点。
On the next page, he follows up on that.
如果你需要鼓励才敢行动,那就别去创业了。
If you need encouragement, don't start a company.
然后他谈到,人类在预测新技术的流行程度或用途时,一再失败。
And then he talks about that humanity fails over and over again about predicting the popularity or the uses for the image of new technology.
当你在打造一个全新的产品时,人们还不知道自己需要它。
When you're building a radically new product, people don't know they want it yet.
当电视刚被发明时,他们做过一项著名的全国性调查。
When they first started making TVs, they did a famous nationwide survey.
你会买电视吗?
Will you ever buy a TV?
大约96%的受访者回答不会。
And around 96% of respondents said no.
然后他又回到这个反复强调的主题:你应该创造得比消费的更多。
Then he goes back to this reoccurring theme that he repeats that you should be creating more than you're consuming.
致力于扩大经济蛋糕要好得多。
It is much better to work on adding to the economic pie.
创造得比消费的更多。
Create more than you consume.
这本书的很多内容都涉及他的工作伦理。
A lot of this book goes into his work ethic.
他坚信自己正在从事的事情非常重要,因此愿意承受大量的痛苦和煎熬。
The fact that he thinks the things that he is working on are very important, so therefore, he's willing to endure a lot of times of just pain and suffering.
他说,要拼命工作。
He says work like hell.
我生来就是为了战斗。
I am wired for war.
他提出一个问题:为什么世界上没有更多的埃隆·马斯克?
He's asked the question, why doesn't the world have more Elon Musks?
如果你认为你想成为我或者做我做过的事,我敢说你很可能想错了。
If you think you wanna be me or do the things I've done, I would say you're probably mistaken.
我生命中的很长一段时间都非常痛苦和艰难。
Long periods of my life have been very painful and difficult.
我折磨自己的程度已经到了极致。
The amount I torture myself is next level.
你需要在脑海中有一个愤怒的恶魔驱动着你。
You need to have some kind of rage demon in your skull that drives you.
我做这些事是因为我强烈地感到必须去做。
I've done these things because I felt a strong compulsion to do them.
我早已用火焰喷射器同时燃烧两端的蜡烛,持续了很长时间。
I've been burning the candle at both ends with a flamethrower for a very long time.
他仍在不断发出这个警告。
He continues to issue this warning.
你以为你想成为我吗?
You think you wanna be me?
我向你保证,你并不想成为我。
I guarantee you don't wanna be me.
你不可能一直处于生存斗争中,始终处于肾上腺素激增的状态,却不受伤害。
You can't be in a constant fight for survival, always in adrenaline mode, and not have it hurt you.
我会对20岁的自己说这句话。
I would say this to 20 year old me.
我认为适度放松一点,稍微享受当下,是有一定道理的。
I think there's some merit to not being too intense and enjoying the moment a bit.
偶尔停下来欣赏一下玫瑰,可能是个好主意。
Occasionally, stopping to smell the roses would probably be a good idea.
埃隆经常谈论恐惧。
Elon talks a lot about fear.
他谈到,你总会感到恐惧。
He talks about the fact that you're always gonna feel fear.
但你还是得去做。
You have to do it anyways.
我不记得这是出自这本书还是另一本书,但我最喜欢的一句埃隆关于这个的名言是:不要害怕失败。
I don't remember if it's in this book or another book, but one of my favorite quotes from Elon about this, he says, don't fear losing.
前50次会很痛苦,但之后你就能以更少的情绪去面对了。
It hurts the first 50 times, but then you're able to play with less emotion.
你将能够承担更多风险。
You will be able to take more risks.
在这本书中,他说:直视恐惧,它就会消失。
In this book, he says, look fear straight in the eye and it will disappear.
恐惧的本质在于人们不敢直视它。
The nature of fear is that people don't look at it.
直视它,它就会消失。
Look at it directly and it will be gone.
当某件事对你足够重要,且你足够相信它时,你会不顾恐惧去行动。
When something is important enough to you, and you believe in it enough, you do it in spite of the fear.
感到恐惧是正常的。
It is normal to feel fear.
如果你不感到恐惧,那你的心理肯定有问题。
If you don't feel fear, you definitely have something mentally wrong.
只需感受它,让你的使命的重要性推动你继续前行。
Just feel it and let the importance of your mission drive you to do it anyway.
他被问了一个后续问题。
And he was asked a follow-up question.
你如何在这些艰难的挑战中坚持下去?
How do you persevere through these hard challenges?
你从哪里获得力量?
Where do you find the strength?
我很喜欢他的回答。
And I loved his answer.
我不是这么想的。
That's not how I think.
我觉得这仅仅是一件重要的事。
I think this is simply something important.
这件事必须完成。
It must get done.
我们会继续做下去,否则就死在尝试的路上。
We will keep doing it or we will die trying.
放弃不属于我的本性。
Quitting is not in my nature.
我不在乎乐观还是悲观。
I don't care about optimism or pessimism.
去他的。
Fuck that.
我们一定会完成它。
We're going to get it done.
有一整节内容讲的是埃隆如何像物理学家一样思考,并用这种方法探寻真相。
There's an entire section on how Elon thinks like a physicist, and he uses this to get to the truth.
他经常重复这一点。
He repeats this a lot.
真相对我来说非常重要。
The truth matters to me a lot.
从病理上讲,它对我至关重要。
Pathologically, it matters to me.
在商业和个人生活中,一厢情愿的幻想会引发很多错误。
In business and personal life, wishful thinking causes a lot of mistakes.
你必须问一件事是不是真的。
You have to ask whether something is true or not.
乐观幻想是人类的一种自然倾向。
Wishful thinking is a natural human tendency.
要区分相信一个新想法与坚持或追求一个不切实际的梦想,是一项挑战。
It is a challenge to tell the difference between believing in a new idea and persevering or pursuing an unrealistic dream.
任何初创企业的真正考验在于它如何应对逆境并做出调整。
The real test of any startup is how well it responds to adversity and adapts.
大多数事物在起步时都显得毫无道理。
When most things start out, they don't make much sense.
但只要你能快速适应,就能让公司运转起来。
But as long as you adapt quickly, you can make the company work.
几周前,我刚做了一期节目,叫《SpaceX是如何运作的》。
A few weeks ago, I just did this episode called how SpaceX works.
那期节目的很大一部分内容都在讲这个观点。
Huge chunks of that episode is about this idea.
如果你还没听过,我强烈建议你在听完这期之后回去听听那期。
If you haven't listened to it, I'd highly recommend going back and listen to it after this.
坚持并极度专注于真相至关重要。
Being tenacious and super focused on the truth is extremely important.
要从所有来源寻求反馈。
Look for feedback from all sources.
如果你的信念与火箭进入轨道相矛盾,那么这枚火箭就无法进入轨道。
If you have beliefs that are incompatible with a rocket getting to orbit, that rocket will not get to orbit.
物理法则严酷无情。
Physics is a harsh judge.
他一遍又一遍地重复。
He repeats over and over again.
物理就是法则。
Physics is law.
其他一切只是建议。
Everything else is a recommendation.
幻想思维是人类大脑与生俱来的特质。
Wishful thinking is innate in the human brain.
你希望事情按照你期望的方式发展,因此往往会过滤掉不该忽略的信息。
You want things to be the way you wish them to be, so you tend to filter out information you shouldn't.
这就是为什么我总是假设我们在失败,即使看起来我们可能要赢。
That's why I always assume we're losing even when it looks like we might win.
这句话太精彩了,不重复几次实在可惜。
That line's too good not to repeat.
这就是为什么我总是假设我们在失败,即使看起来我们可能要赢。
That's why I always assume we're losing even when it looks like we might win.
接着他提到了一个他反复强调了十五年多的观点:运用第一性原理思考的重要性。
And then he mentioned something that he's been repeating for a decade and a half, the importance of using first principles thinking.
我们日常生活的正常方式是通过类比推理。
The normal way we conduct our lives is reasoning by analogy.
这意味着我们做某件事,是因为它与别的事情相似,或者别人也在这么做。
That means we do something because it's similar to something else or what other people are doing.
通过类比推理比从第一性原理出发更容易,所以我们大多数时候都这么做。
It is easier to reason by analogy rather than from first principles, so that's what we do most of the time.
但对于重要的事情,这种思维方式过于受传统或过往经验的束缚。
But for important things, that kind of thinking is too bound by convention or prior experiences.
你总会听到这样的说法:‘一直都是这么做的’或者‘从来没人这么干过’。
You will hear, it's always been done this way or no one's ever done it.
这种思维方式太荒谬了。
That is a ridiculous way to think.
第一性原理是一种强大而强大的生活方法。
First principles is a powerful, powerful method for life.
在我们继续之前,我想介绍一下本播客的赞助商——Ramp。
And before we get back into this, I wanna tell you about the presenting sponsor of this podcast, Ramp.
最近我读了很多关于SpaceX的资料。
I have been reading a lot about SpaceX lately.
SpaceX是全球最有价值的私营企业之一,而SpaceX历史中的一个主要主题就是不断挑战和质疑成本。
SpaceX is one of the most valuable private businesses in the world, and one of the main themes in the history of SpaceX is constantly attacking and questioning your cost.
Ramp帮助世界上许多最具创新性的企业正是这样做的,而Ramp正是通过第一性原理思维来实现这一点的。
Ramp helps many of the most innovative businesses in the world do exactly that, and Ramp does this by using first principles thinking.
使用Ramp的公司中位数能将支出减少5%。
The median company that is running on Ramp cuts their expenses by 5%.
SpaceX展示出的一种宗教般的执着是控制成本实际上有助于增加收入,因为你能够抓住原本无法实现的机会。
And one thing SpaceX has demonstrated is a religious dedication to controlling costs actually helps increase revenue because you can pursue opportunities you couldn't otherwise.
我们在Ramp的数据中也看到了这一点。
And we see that in the ramp data too.
使用Ramp的公司中位数还能将收入增长16%。
The median company running on ramp also grows their revenue by 16%.
所以当你用Ramp经营业务而你的竞争对手没有时,你将获得一个随时间不断累积的巨大竞争优势。
So when you're running your business on Ramp and your competitors are not, you have a massive competitive advantage that compounds over time.
Ramp是唯一一个专为让财务团队更高效、更快乐而设计的平台。
Ramp is the only platform designed to make your finance team faster and happier.
我认识的许多顶尖创始人和CEO都在用Ramp经营他们的业务。
Many of the top founders and CEOs that I know run their business on Ramp.
我自己用Ramp经营业务,你也应该用。
I run my business on Ramp, you should too.
立即访问 ramp.com,了解他们如何帮助您的企业节省时间、降低成本并增加收入。
Go to ramp.com today to learn how they can help your business save time, save money, and grow revenue.
那就是 ramp.com。
That is ramp.com.
于是他被要求跟进。
And so he's asked to follow-up.
你如何应用第一性原理思维?
How do you apply first principles thinking?
将问题分解到最根本的原则。
Break something down to the most fundamental principles.
首先问自己:在基础层面上,你最确信什么是真的?
Start by asking, what are you most confident is true at a foundational level?
这将奠定你的公理基础。
That sets your axiomatic base.
然后从那里向上推理。
Then you reason up from there.
然后你要将你的结论与公理性的真理进行对照。
Then you check your conclusions against the axiomatic truths.
以这种方式思考很难。
It's hard to think this way.
这需要付出大量努力。
It takes a lot of effort.
但如果你正试图做些全新的事情,这是最好的思考方式。
But if you're trying to do something new, it's the best way to think.
于是他举了一个例子,说明他是如何将第一性原理思维应用到他的某家公司中的。
And so then he gives an example of how he applied first principle thinkings to one of his companies.
他说,这是在特斯拉早期建设时的一个例子。
He says, here's an example from early in building Tesla.
人们说电池组太贵了,无法制造出廉价的电动汽车。
People said battery packs were too expensive to make cheap electric cars.
他们假设电池组会一直很贵,因为过去一直都是这样。
They assumed they would always be expensive because they had been in the past.
这真是太蠢了。
That is pretty dumb.
如果你用这种逻辑对待所有新事物,那你永远都不会尝试任何新东西。
If you apply that reasoning to everything new, then you would never try anything new.
哦,没人想要汽车。
Oh, nobody wants a car.
马很棒。
Horses are great.
我们已经习惯了。
We're used to them.
它们可以吃草。
They can eat grass.
到处都有很多草。
There's lots of grass all over the place.
没有汽油可用,所以人们永远不会买汽油车。
There's no gasoline available, so people will never buy gas cars.
人们确实这么说过,而且说了好多次。
People did say that, and they said it a lot.
人们假设电动汽车的电池成本将永远是每千瓦时600美元。
People assumed batteries for electric vehicles would always cost $600 per kilowatt hour.
关于电池成本的第一性原理方法是这样的。
The first principle's approach to battery costs is this.
电池是由什么组成的?
What are the batteries made of?
构成电池的材料有哪些?
What are the materials that made up batteries?
这些材料的市场价值是多少?
What is the market value of those materials?
它包含钴、镍、铝、碳、一些用于隔离的聚合物,以及钢制外壳。
It's got cobalt, nickel, aluminum, carbon, some polymers for separation, and steel can.
好的。
Okay.
如果我们从伦敦金属交易所购买这些材料会怎样?
What if we bought that amount of material on the London Metal Exchange?
这些东西各自会花多少钱?
What would each of those things cost?
天哪。
Oh, jeez.
每千瓦时只要80美元。
It's only $80 per kilowatt hour.
所以很明显,我们只需要想出聪明的方法,把这些材料组合成电池单元的形状。
So clearly, we just need to think of clever ways to take those materials and combine them into the shape of a battery cell.
这就是我知道可以以比任何人想象的都低得多的成本制造电池的原因。
That's how I knew it was possible to build batteries much cheaper than anyone else realized.
然后他引用了一句关于从不同领域汲取灵感并将其应用于你正在从事的工作的重要性的话。
And then he just got a great quote about the importance of taking ideas from different domains and applying it to whatever you're working on.
他说,在一个领域里简单的东西,在另一个领域往往却非常深刻。
He says, what is simple in one arena is often profound in another.
第一性原理思维造就了SpaceX。
First principles thinking built SpaceX.
大多数人认为,历史上所有火箭都很昂贵。
Most people think historically, all rockets have been expensive.
因此,未来所有火箭都会很昂贵。
Therefore, in the future, all rockets will be expensive.
但事实并非如此。
But that is not true.
关于火箭的第一性原理思考方式,被推广到了所有部件上。
The first principle's thought process around the rocket became general purpose for all parts.
我喜欢这个想法。
I love this idea.
我把这称为愚蠢指数。
I call this the idiot index.
一个成品的成本比其原材料成本高出多少?
How much more does a finished product cost than the cost of its materials?
如果某个零件或产品的愚昧指数很高,我们就可以通过更高效的制造技术降低成本。
If a part or product had a high idiot index, we could cut the cost with more efficient manufacturing techniques.
如果这个比例很高,那你就是个傻瓜。
If the ratio is high, you're an idiot.
我希望我的所有工程师时刻都清楚自己负责系统中最好和最差的部件,依据愚昧指数来判断。
I expect all of my engineers to know all the best and worst parts in their systems as judged by the idiot index at all times.
这就是我所说的从第一性原理的角度思考问题。
That's what I mean by thinking about things from a first principle standpoint.
如果我通过类比来分析,问其他火箭公司都在做什么?
If I'd analyzed it by analogy and said, what are all the other rocket companies doing?
他们的火箭成本是多少?
What do their rockets cost?
历史上其他火箭的成本是多少?
What historically have other rockets cost?
这是类比推理,但它根本无法体现真正的潜力。
That is reasoning by analogy, but it really doesn't illustrate what the true potential is.
书中还有一个很棒的想法,我很少听到他提到,但我认为应该反复强调。
And then there's a great idea in the book that I haven't heard him speak about much, but I think should be repeated over and over again.
这个想法是:先设想理论上最完美的产品是什么样子。
It's this idea of starting with what is the theoretically perfect product look like.
从那里出发,逆向思考。
Start from there, work backwards.
理论上最完美的概念会是一个移动的目标,因为随着你不断学习,对完美产品的定义也会改变。
The idea of the theoretically perfect is going to be a moving target because as you learn more, the definition for that perfect product will change.
你其实并不知道什么是完美的产品,但你可以不断逼近更完美的产品。
You don't actually know what the perfect product is, but you can approximate a more perfect product.
然后问:我们需要创造哪些工具、方法或材料,才能把原子排列成那样的形状?
Then ask what tools, methods, or materials do we need to create to get the atoms in that shape?
人们很少这样思考,但以极限为出发点的思维方式是一种强大的工具。
People rarely think this way, but thinking in limits is a powerful tool.
在SpaceX,我们经常思考在荒谬的限制下什么是可能的。
At SpaceX, we often consider what's possible within the absurd.
如果我的团队说某件事不可能,我会试着打开他们的思路,问他们:需要什么条件才能做到?
If my team says something is impossible, I try to open their minds to new potential solutions by asking, what would it take?
然后他谈到,大多数人之所以如此,是因为他们给自己设定了虚假的天花板和虚假的限制。
And then he talks about the fact that most people do this because they have these fake ceilings, these fake limits on themselves.
大多数人其实能学到的东西远比他们自己以为的要多。
Most people can learn a lot more than they think they can.
他们因为不敢尝试而低估了自己。
They sell themselves short by not trying.
我鼓励你们多读书。
I encourage you to read a lot of books.
就只是读。
Just read.
读书。
Read books.
尽量吸收尽可能多的信息。
Try to ingest as much information as you can.
我一直以来都非常喜欢阅读。
I was always really interested in reading.
小时候,我读遍了所有能拿到手的书。
When I was a kid, I read everything I could get my hands on.
家里能读的书都读完了,我就开始读百科全书。
I ran out of things to read in our house, so I read the encyclopedia.
培养扎实的通识知识。
Develop good general knowledge.
广泛阅读各种类型的材料。
Read a broad range of material.
然后他谈到自己小时候养成的一个习惯,他通过这个习惯自学了很多东西,并用这些知识创办了自己的公司。
And then he talks about this habit that he developed when he was a kid that he could teach himself things that he used it to build his companies.
深入研究SpaceX和特斯拉时,我不得不学习如何制造硬件。
Diving into SpaceX and Tesla, I had to learn how to make hardware.
我以前从未见过CNC机床,也没接触过碳纤维铺层。
I had never seen a CNC machine or laid out carbon fiber.
我对这些事情一无所知。
I didn't know about any of these things.
但如果你读书并请教专家,就能很快掌握。
But if you read books and talk to experts, can pick them up quickly.
大多数人限制了自己学习的能力。
Most people self limit their ability to learn.
这其实很简单。
It's pretty straightforward.
只要读书并与人交流。
Just read books and talk to people.
于是,马斯克谈到他认为自己本质上是一名工程师,这就是为什么工程学如此神奇。
And so then Elon talks about the fact that he thinks of himself primarily as an engineer, and this is why engineering is magic.
谁不想当一名魔术师呢?
And who wouldn't wanna be a magician?
我年轻时,不确定长大后要做什么。
When I was young, I wasn't sure what I was gonna do when I got older.
我原本觉得发明东西会很酷,因为我读过亚瑟·克拉克的一句名言。
I thought the idea of inventing things would be cool because I read a quote from Arthur C.
克拉克说,足够先进的技术与魔法无异。
Clarke that said a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
这确实非常真实。
That is really true.
如果回到三百年前,我们今天习以为常的事情会让人被烧死在火刑柱上。
If you go back three hundred years, you'd be burned at the stake for things we take for granted today.
能够飞行简直不可思议。
Being able to fly is crazy.
能够远距离观看、沟通,并随时随地访问地球上所有的信息。
Being able to see over long distances, communicate, and instantly access the world's information from anywhere on Earth.
这同样不可思议。
That is also crazy.
这些在过去都会被视为魔法。
This would all be considered magic in times past.
工程学就是创造以前从未存在过的东西。
Engineering is about creating things that never existed before.
然后埃隆谈到了他对军事历史的热爱。
And then Elon talks about his love of military history.
他说工程学能赢得战争。
He says engineering wins wars.
在《孙子兵法》中,本该有一章写道:如果你拥有决定性的技术优势,就能以极小的己方伤亡取得胜利。
In Sun Tzu's art of war, there should have been a chapter saying, if you have a decisive technology advantage, you can win with minimal casualties to your side.
如果技术差距巨大,技术更先进的一方将获胜。
If there's a big difference in the technologies, the side with the advanced technology will win.
如果技术优势压倒性地悬殊,即使形势极其不利,这一方也会获胜。
If there's an overwhelming technological advantage, that side will win even if the odds are dramatically stacked against them.
举个极端的例子,如果你能从太空向地面任何地点发射激光,只需对准目标即可,那么无论你对抗的是尤利乌斯·凯撒还是拿破仑,结果都无关紧要。
To use an extreme example, if you can shoot lasers from space to any spot on the ground by just pointing at it, it wouldn't have mattered if you're fighting Julius Caesar or Napoleon.
他们只是被来自太空的激光击中了。
They just got lasered from space.
历史上大多数战役由于技术发展缓慢,更多依赖于机动战术和战略。
Most battles in history, because technology moves slowly, were more about maneuvering tactics and strategy.
但当出现技术断层时,整个局势就会发生根本性变化。
But when there's a technology discontinuity, it fundamentally changes the whole situation.
现代战争本质上是技术竞赛。
Wars in the modern era are very much technology race wars.
我们能多快地创造出新技术?
How fast can we create new technology?
最好的例子就是原子弹。
The best example would be the nuclear bomb.
谁先拥有原子弹,谁就赢了。
Anyone who got nuclear bombs first won.
就是这样。
That's it.
故事到此结束。
End of story.
因此,他回到为什么工程如此重要,因为他认为工程创造价值。
And so then he goes back to why engineering is so important because he says engineering creates value.
我觉得想法本身有些微不足道,但优秀想法的执行却极其困难。
I find ideas to be somewhat trivial, but the execution of good ideas is extremely difficult.
原型很容易做。
Prototypes are easy.
量产很难。
Production is hard.
量产并实现正现金流是令人痛苦的过程。
Production and being cash flow positive is excruciating pain.
只有通过努力解决棘手的问题,你才能在公司中创造价值。
You only build value in a company if you do hard work to solve tough problems.
这就是公司有价值的原因。
That's why companies are valuable.
这就是它们应该有价值、并在很大程度上之所以有价值的原因。
It's why they should be valuable and largely why they are.
因此,接下来有一部分是关于开展工作和建立公司。
And so then there's a section on doing the work and building the companies.
如果常规思维让你的目标变得不可能,那么非传统的思维就是必要的。
If conventional thinking makes your mission impossible, then unconventional thinking is necessary.
我是这些公司的首席执行官,因为我感到自己对它们负有责任,而不是因为这最有利于我的生活质量。
I am the CEO of these companies because I feel I'm responsible for them, not because it's the best thing for the quality of my life.
作为首席执行官,你实际上接触到的是公司中最糟糕问题的浓缩。
What you actually get as CEO is a distillation of the worst things going on in the company.
如果你是首席执行官,你就要处理公司中最糟糕的问题。
If you're the CEO, you work on the worst problems in the company.
你只会花时间在那些出问题的事情上,那些别人解决不了的、最顽固和最痛苦的问题上。
You only spend time on things which are going wrong, the things other people can't fix, the most pernicious and painful problems.
因此,他谈到了接下来的问题:你如何应对失败?
And so he talks about he's asked the follow-up question, how do you manage through failure?
应对重大失败是痛苦而困难的。
Managing through big failures is painful and difficult.
感觉太糟糕了。
It feels terrible.
公司指望我来鼓舞大家,所以我这么做了,但我感觉很糟糕。
The company looks at me to rally them, so I do, but I feel terrible.
失败就像一拳打在肚子上。
Failure is a punch in the gut.
然后他谈到了在自己公司内部获得深刻理解的重要性。
And then he talks about the importance of earning a deep understanding inside your own company.
他说,SpaceX能够如此迅速推进的原因之一,是我把工程决策和资金决策都集中在自己一个人身上。
He says one reason SpaceX could move so quickly is that I made both the engineering decisions and the spending decisions together in one brain.
在大多数公司里,这两项工作至少由两个人负责。
In most companies, those are at least two different people.
会有一个工程师试图说服财务人员,这笔钱应该花出去。
There's some engineering guy who's trying to convince a finance guy that this money should be spent.
但财务人员不懂工程,所以无法判断这是否是明智的花钱方式。
But the finance guy doesn't understand engineering, so he can't tell if this is a good way to spend money or not.
而且,他们可能彼此不信任。
Plus, they may not trust each other.
我将工程决策和资金决策结合在一起,所有信息都集中在我这里。
I'm making the engineering and the spending decisions together with all the information in one place.
我的大脑信任自己。
My brain trusts itself.
你还会经常听到埃隆反复强调从一线领导的重要性,即前线领导力。
Another thing you'll hear Elon repeat over and over again is the importance of leading from the front line, front line's leadership.
当团队被要求拼命工作时,我必须和他们在一起,让他们亲眼看到。
When the team is being asked to work super hard, I have to be right there with them, and they have to see it.
如果我在凌晨四点倒在工厂车间睡着了,四小时后醒来,他们都会看到。
If I fall asleep in the middle of the factory floor at four in the morning and wake up four hours later, they see that.
他们会想,连CEO都愿意承受这样的痛苦,我也可以做到。
They're like, if the CEO is willing to take that level of pain, I can do it too.
士兵们如果看到将军亲临前线,就会打得更拼命。
The troops fight harder if they see the general on the front lines.
没有人会为宫殿里的王子流血。
Nobody bleeds for the prince in the palace.
到前线去。
Get out there on the front line.
让他们看到你关心,并且你不在某个豪华的办公室里。
Show them that you care and you're not in some plush office somewhere.
如果士兵们看到将军在战场上,他们就会受到激励。
If they see the general out on the battlefield, the troops are going to be motivated.
拿破仑在哪儿,他的军队就在那儿发挥出最佳状态。
Wherever Napoleon was, that's where his armies would be at their best.
我坚信,将职场划分为管理层和员工并不能营造良好的工作环境。
It is my firm belief that the separation of the workplace into executives and employees does not create a good working environment.
我们取消了管理层的所有特殊待遇。
We eliminate all special privileges of executives.
每个人都能平等使用停车位,同桌吃饭,没有独立的管理层办公室。
Everyone has equal access to parking, eating at the same tables, and there's no management offices.
管理者应该始终先照顾好自己的团队,再考虑自己。
Managers should always take care of their team before they take care of themselves.
主管的存在是为了服务团队,而不是相反。
The supervisor is there to serve his team, not the other way around.
所有技术管理者都必须有实际操作经验。
All technical managers must have hands on experience.
否则,他们就像不会骑马的骑兵指挥官。
Otherwise, they're like a cavalry leader who can't ride a horse.
无论任务是宏大还是微小,都要亲自去做。
Do whatever the task is, whether grand or humble.
然后他再次强调了在逆境和痛苦中坚持不懈的重要性。
Then he goes back to the importance of just persevering through adversity, through pain.
丘吉尔有一句名言。
There's a great quote from Churchill.
如果你正身处地狱,那就继续前进。
If you're going through hell, keep going.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
我似乎天生就有很强的驱动力,从我还是个孩子的时候就是这样。
I seem to have a high innate drive, and that's been true even since I was a little kid.
小时候,我以为自己疯了。
When I was a kid, I thought I was insane.
后来我才明白,别人的头脑并不会时刻充满想法。
It became clear other people's minds weren't exploding with ideas all the time.
我感觉自己很奇怪。
I felt strange.
很难停下来。
It's hard to turn off.
这就像一场永不停歇的爆炸。
It is like a never ending explosion.
逆境塑造了我。
Adversity shaped me.
我的痛苦耐受度变得非常高,然后他又回到了这个观点。
My pain threshold became very high, and then he gets back into this idea.
你已经听过他重复好几次了。
You've heard him repeat a few times.
我听过这个说法被归于几位不同的创始人,但你知道,创办公司就像吃玻璃和凝视深渊。
I've heard this quote attributed to different a few different founders, but it's, you know, starting companies like eating glass and staring into the abyss.
他说,创办公司时,起初通常很有趣。
He says, when starting a company, usually the beginning is fun.
然后接下来的几年会非常痛苦。
Then it's hellish for a number of years.
创办公司就像吃玻璃和凝视深渊。
Starting a company is like eating glass and staring into the abyss.
吃玻璃意味着你必须解决公司需要你解决的问题,而不是你希望解决的问题。
Eating glass means you've got to work on the problems the company needs you to work on, not the problems you want to work on.
你最终会去处理那些你根本不想处理的问题。
You end up working on problems you wish you weren't working on.
但如果你不吃下这块玻璃,你就不会成功。
But if you don't eat the glass, you're not going to be successful.
然后我们看到他又重复了一遍。
And then we see he repeats this again.
但如果某件事足够重要,你就应该去做,即使失败的风险很高。
But if something is important enough, then you do it even though the risk of failure is high.
我想给想创业的人的建议是,要明白最可能的结果是失败。
My advice for somebody who wants to start a company, bear in mind that the most likely outcome is failure.
接受这种强烈的可能性,只有当你仍然感到非做不可时,才去行动。
Reconcile yourself to that strong possibility, and only if you still feel compelled to do it, then you do it.
话虽如此,很多人对创业太过恐惧。
That said, many people fear starting a company too much.
最坏的情况会怎样?
What is the worst that could happen?
你不会饿死。
You're not gonna starve to death.
你也不会冻死。
You're not gonna die of exposure.
真的,最坏的情况会怎样呢?
Really, what is the worst that could happen?
然后,埃隆对公司的本质有几种有趣的看法。
And then Elon has a bunch of interesting ways to think about what a company actually is.
他首先从一个基本前提出发,这也是历史上最伟大的企业家们几乎都会认同的最重要的事。
He does start with the the main premise, the most important thing, which almost all of history's greatest entrepreneurs would agree with.
最重要的事情是吸引优秀的人才。
The most important thing is to attract great people.
你必须找到一群你真正敬佩的出色人才。
You have to find an amazing group that you really respect.
公司不过是一群人聚在一起创造产品或服务。
A company is just a bunch of people coming together to create a product or service.
根本不存在所谓的‘企业’。
There's no such thing as a business.
那只不过是一群人共同追求一个目标。
That's just a group pursuing a goal.
这个团队的才能和勤奋程度,以及他们是否团结一致地朝着正确的方向努力,将决定公司的成败。
Depending upon how talented and hardworking that group is and to the degree in which they are focused cohesively in a good direction, that will determine the success of the company.
最重要的事情是吸引优秀的人才。
The most important thing is to attract great people.
公司本质上是一个由人和机器组成的赛博集体。
A company is essentially a cybernetic collective of people and machines.
这个集体远比个人更聪明。
This collective is far smarter than an individual.
人们有时会忘记,公司只不过是一群人为彼此制造产品而聚集在一起的团体。
People sometimes forget a company is just a group of people gathered together to make products for fellow human beings.
只要他们制造出优秀的产品,公司就会具有巨大的价值。
As long as they make great products, the company will have great value.
如果你没有一款具有吸引力且价格合理的产品,你就没有一家伟大的公司。
If you don't have a compelling product at a compelling price, you don't have a great company.
然后他谈到在公司内部建立一种只由实干者组成的文化的重要性,也就是真正做事的人。
And then he talks about the importance of building a culture inside of your company of just builders, people actually doing the work.
另一个重要原则是,你要让每个人都能像首席工程师一样思考。
Another important principle, you want everybody to be able to think like the chief engineer.
他们需要从宏观层面充分理解系统,以便知道何时做出了糟糕的优化。
They need to understand the system at a high level well enough to know when they are making a bad optimization.
如果你能让有才华、勤奋的人加入公司,协同合作,并对共同目标保持不懈的完美追求,你最终会打造出一款优秀的产品。
If you're able to get talented, hardworking people to join the company, work together, and have a relentless sense of perfection towards a common goal, you will end up with a great product.
如果你拥有出色的产品,就会有很多人购买,公司也会取得成功。
If you have a great product, lots of people will buy it and the company will be successful.
这就是为什么我们最重要的考量是招聘最优秀的人才。
That is why our most important consideration is recruiting the best people.
任何公司的产出,都是其内部人员的向量和。
The output of any company is the vector sum of the people within it.
如果我们长期吸引最优秀的人才,并且方向正确,我们终将获胜。
If we attract the most talented people over time and our direction is correctly aligned, we will prevail.
这真是一句精彩的话。
And then this is just a great line.
一小群技术能力强的人总是能胜过一大群中等水平的人。
A small group of technically strong people will always beat a large group of moderately strong people.
尽你所能去聚集优秀的人才。
Do everything you can to gather great people.
然后他谈到了实际做到这一点有多困难。
And then he talks about just how difficult that actually is.
说起来很容易。
It's easy to say.
但真正做起来非常困难,他还举了一些历史例子,比如。
It's really difficult to do, and he gives some historical examples about, hey.
这个人真的很有才华。
This guy was really talented.
如果他来应聘,我们可能不会录用他。
We might not have hired him if he applied.
我非常喜欢这一点。
I love this.
他说,有时候招聘过程中这些事情会搞砸。
He goes, sometimes these things get messed up in recruiting.
我有时会想,如果尼古拉·特斯拉去特斯拉应聘,我们会给他面试机会吗?
I sometimes wonder if Nikola Tesla applied to Tesla, would we have even given him an interview?
这一点并不明确。
That is not clear.
他们可能会说,这人来自东欧一所奇怪的大学。
They might say, this guy came from weird some weird college in Eastern Europe.
他有些奇怪的举止。
He's got some odd mannerisms.
我们不确定是否该给他面试机会。
We don't know if we should give him an interview.
我担心我们真的会这么做。
I worry that's what we would do.
我们的回应应该是:天啊,尼古拉·特斯拉,这孩子太聪明了。
Our response should be, man, Nikola Tesla, this kid is super smart.
他想要什么?
What does he want?
我们会给他任何报酬。
We'll pay him anything.
然后他在这里有一句很棒的话,可以帮助你弄清楚你真正想雇佣什么样的人。
And then he just has a great sentence here to figure out the kind of people you actually wanna hire.
想想看,那个人在申请公司之前,是否一直在为公司的使命而努力。
Think about if that person was working on that mission of the company before they applied for the company.
他说,通常那些曾经为这个问题苦苦挣扎的人,才真正理解它。
He says, usually, the person who had to struggle with the problem really understands it.
我必须告诉你这一点。
It's really important for me to tell you.
关于这一点的重要性,他写了一页又一页。
This goes on for pages after pages after pages about how important it is.
他谈到,要像招募特种部队一样来招聘人才。
He talks about, like, trying to essentially recruit as if your your company is, like, the special forces.
他说了各种话,这就是原因。
He says whatever and this is why.
最聪明、最有动力的人选择在哪里工作,哪家公司就会获胜。
Wherever the smartest, most driven people are choosing to work, that company is going to win.
他被要求跟进。
He's asked to follow-up.
组建优秀的团队和产品只是资金充足的问题吗?
Is building great teams and products just a question of being well funded?
我非常喜欢埃隆在这里的回应。
And I love Elon's response here.
如果真有一个生产优秀工程师的工厂,那确实如此。
If there was a factory producing excellent engineers, that would be true.
但这样的工厂并不存在。
Except this factory doesn't exist.
找到合适的人才,将他们融入组织并使其有效运作,是极其困难的。
It is incredibly difficult to find the right talent, integrate them into an organization, and have it work effectively.
资金并不是限制因素。
Money is not the constraint.
优秀的人才非常稀少,而且很难找到。
There is only a small number of excellent people, and they're hard to find.
接着他提出了两条关于招聘的建议。
And then he's got two pieces of advice on hiring.
你要观察他们选择与谁共度时光,然后更注重态度而非技能。
You look at the character of the people they choose to spend their time with and then optimize for attitude over skill.
因此,他提到一种评估一个人品格的方法,就是观察他们的朋友和同伴的品格。
So he says one test for assessing someone's character is to look at the character of their friends and associates.
人们可以为自己戴上伪装的面具,但他们的朋友和同伴不会。
While people can put a mask themselves for their character, their friends and associates will not.
你可以通过一个人的社交圈来判断他的品格。
You can judge a person's character by their associates.
这是第一条。
That's the first one.
这是第二个。
This is the second one.
招聘时,要寻找态度正确的人。
When hiring, look for people with the right attitude.
技能是可以培养的。
Skills can be taught.
态度的改变需要换脑。
Attitude changes require a brain transplant.
然后他又回到寻找真相的重要性。
And then he goes back to the importance of finding the truth.
这一部分叫做反馈优于感受。
This section is called feedback over feelings.
物理学不在乎你是否受伤了感情。
Physics does not care about hurt feelings.
它关心的是你有没有把火箭做对。
It cares about whether you got the rocket right.
所有坏消息都应该大声且频繁地传达。
All bad news should be given loudly and often.
好消息可以轻声说一次即可。
Good news can be said quietly and once.
让你的团队成员喜欢你并不是你的职责。
It is not your job to make people on your team love you.
事实上,这适得其反。
In fact, that's counterproductive.
团队情谊是有风险的。
Camaraderie is dangerous.
它会让人难以对彼此的工作提出质疑。
It makes it hard for people to challenge each other's work.
想要成为每个人的朋友,会让你过于关注眼前个体的情绪,而不是关注整个企业的成功。
Wanting to be everyone's friend leads you to care too much about the emotions of the individual in front of you rather than caring about the success of the whole enterprise.
过度关注这一个人,反而可能导致更多人受到伤害。
Focusing on that one individual can lead to a far greater number of people being hurt.
我认为渴望被喜欢是一种真正的弱点,真正的弱点,而我没有这种倾向。
I think it is a real weakness to want to be liked, a real weakness, and I do not have that.
接着他开始设计你必须消除这些组织界限的组织结构。
And then he goes into designing the organization that you have to remove these organizational boundaries.
他一遍又一遍地重复这一点。
This is something he repeats over and over again.
在他的每一家公司都是如此。
Does in every one of his companies.
在任何产品中,你都能看到组织结构中的问题。
In any product, you can see the errors in the organization structure.
这些问题会体现在产品上。
They will manifest themselves in the product.
问题的一个主要来源是部门之间的沟通不畅。
A major source of issues is poor communication between departments.
解决这个问题的方法是允许信息在所有层级之间自由流动。
The way to solve this is to allow free flow of information between all levels.
沟通应通过完成工作所需的最短路径进行,而不是通过指挥链。
Communication should travel via the shortest path necessary to get the job done, not through the chain of command.
任何试图强制执行指挥链的管理者,很快就会发现自己不得不另谋高就。
Any manager who attempts to enforce a chain of command will soon find themselves working elsewhere.
让设计师和制造商紧密联系,确保他们经常沟通。
Connect designers and manufacturers to make sure they communicate often.
生产线上的员工应该能立即找到设计师和工程师,问:‘你们为什么这样设计?’
The people on the assembly line should be able to immediately grab a designer and engineer and say, why did you make it this way?
他说这为什么重要。
And he says why this is important.
如果您的手放在炉子上被烫到,您会立刻缩回来。
If your hand is on the stove and it gets hot, you pull it right off.
但如果别人的手放在炉子上,您要花更长时间才会采取行动。
But if it's someone else's hand on the stove, it'll take you longer to do something about it.
你不能把设计、工程和制造分离开来。
You cannot separate design, engineering, and manufacturing.
他们需要在一起,因为你肯定会犯错。
They need to be together because you're going to make mistakes.
你希望今天、现在就发现并修复这些错误。
You want to identify and fix those mistakes today, right now.
如果你把他们分开,这些错误就会恶化。
And if you separate them, the mistakes will fester.
这真是很好的建议。
And then this is great advice.
亲自立即到问题发生的地方去。
Physically, go to where the problem is immediately.
我的一条准则就是尽可能接近问题的源头。
One of my rules is go as close to the source as possible.
然后他坚持这种简单沟通的理念。
And then he enforces this idea of simple communication.
不要使用缩写或无意义的词语。
Do not use acronyms or nonsense words.
任何需要解释的东西都会阻碍沟通。
Anything that requires an explanation inhibits communication.
我们不希望人们为了正常工作而不得不记忆一份术语表。
We don't want people to have to memorize a glossary just to function.
我注意到一种逐渐蔓延的倾向,即使用杜撰的缩写词。
I noticed a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms.
过度使用杜撰的缩写词会严重阻碍沟通,而随着我们的发展,保持沟通清晰至关重要。
Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication, and keeping communication clear as we grow is incredibly important.
偶尔使用几个缩写词可能看起来没什么大不了,但如果一千个人都在自行创造缩写,久而久之,结果将是必须发给新员工的一份庞大术语表。
A few acronyms here and there may not seem so bad, but if a thousand people are making these up, over time, the result will be a huge glossary that we have to issue to new employees.
我告诉人们,必须立即停止使用缩写词,否则我将采取严厉措施。
I told people that acronyms need to stop immediately or I would take drastic action.
最简单、直接、低自我的表达方式通常是最好的。
The most simple, straightforward, low ego terms are generally best.
而且,他再次强调了设计和真正工程化你的组织的重要性。
And again, he talks a ton about the importance of designing and really engineering your organization.
他这里有个很好的想法。
He has a great idea here.
他说,你必须始终审视一个组织的激励结构,并问:这个组织是否在正确地激励创新?
He says, you always have to look at the incentive structure of an organization and ask, is that organization properly incentivizing innovation?
在我们继续讨论这个话题之前,说到激励创新,我想向你们介绍一下我的合作伙伴Vanta。
And before we get back into this and speaking of incentivizing for innovation, I want to tell you about my partner, Vanta.
埃隆说,唯一真正的货币是时间。
Elon says that the only true currency is time.
你无法替代的唯一东西就是时间。
The one thing you cannot replace is time.
他说,我经常告诉特斯拉团队,放弃设备或金钱是可以的。
He says, I often tell the Tesla team, it's okay to scrap equipment or money.
但放弃时间是不可以的。
It is not okay to scrap time.
Vanta能帮助你节省时间。
Vanta helps you save time.
Vanta 帮助您的公司证明其安全性,从而吸引更多客户使用您的产品或服务。
Vanta helps your company prove your secure so more customers will use your product or service.
您可以把 Vanta 想象成一位始终在线的、由人工智能驱动的安全专家,它会随着您的业务一同扩展。
You can think of Vanta as you're always on AI powered security expert who scales with you.
您的业务增长得越快,安全需求就会越复杂,而这种复杂性可能会演变成混乱。
The more your business grows, the more complex your security needs will get, and that complexity can turn into chaos.
Vanta 帮助您掌控这种混乱。
Vanta helps you tame that chaos.
Vanta 自动化合规流程,持续监控您的控制措施,并为您提供合规与风险的单一信息来源。
Vanta automates compliance, continuously monitors your controls, and gives you a single source of truth for compliance and risk.
无论您是快速成长的初创公司还是大型企业,Vanta 都能轻松融入您现有的工作流程。
So whether you're a fast growing startup or an enterprise company, Vanta fits easily into your existing workflow.
这使您能够持续发展一家让客户信赖的公司。
This allows you to keep growing a company that your customers can trust.
许多公司除非您获得认证,否则不会签署合同,而这正导致您错失销售机会。
Many companies will not sign contracts unless you're certified, and that is causing you to lose out on sales.
这就是为什么平均而言,Vanta客户在成为客户后报告的投资回报率为526%。
That is why the average Vanta customer reports a 526 return on investment after becoming a Vanta customer.
Vanta将帮助您更快、更轻松地赢得信任、促成交易并保持安全。
Vanta will help you win trust, close deals, and stay secure faster and with less effort.
这将为您节省时间。
This will save you time.
前往 vanta.com/founders,您将获得1000美元的折扣。
Go to vanta.com/founders, and you'll get a thousand dollars off.
这就是 vanta.com/founders。
That is vanta.com/founders.
然后埃隆谈到设计一个允许大量实验的组织,一个能够真正进化的组织。
And then Elon talks about designing an organization that allows for a lot of experiments, one that can actually evolve.
他说,创造一个促进创新的环境非常重要,您希望它以达尔文式的方式进化。
And he says, it's important to create an environment that fosters innovation, and you want to let it evolve in a Darwinian way.
您不希望选定某一种技术或路径并断定它一定会胜出,因为它可能并非最佳选择。
You don't wanna pick one technology or path and decide that it will win because it may not be the best option.
你需要让事物自然发展。
You need to let things evolve.
失败是迭代的副产品。
Failure is a side effect of iteration.
我曾经对一位沮丧的工程师说:如果你说不出自己在成功之前搞砸了哪四次,那你根本没在做真正的工作。
I once told a discouraged engineer, if you can't tell me four ways you fucked something up before you got it right, you weren't the one doing the real work.
如果我们偶尔不在测试台上炸掉一台发动机,那就说明我们还不够努力。
If we're not occasionally blowing up an engine on the test stand, we're not trying hard enough.
因此,埃隆对简约有着近乎宗教般的执着。
And so Elon has this almost religious devotion to simplicity.
他说,简约才能取胜。
He says simplicity wins.
他说,别用巡航导弹去打苍蝇。
He says never use a cruise missile to kill a fly.
用苍蝇拍就行了。
Just use a flyswatter.
我们在SpaceX早期设计中的每一个决策都以简洁为核心。
Every decision we made in early SpaceX designs had been with simplicity in mind.
简洁既能提升可靠性,又能降低成本。
Simplicity both improves reliability and reduces cost.
组件越少,需要采购的部件就越少,出问题的部件也越少。
Fewer components means fewer components to buy and fewer components that can go wrong.
对此有一个很好的格言:真正的天才往往拥有最少的运动部件。
There's a great maxim on this that says, genius has the fewest moving parts.
简洁是我们的信条。
Simplicity is our mantra.
它同时带来了可靠性和低成本。
It creates both reliability and low cost.
简洁源于成百上千个微小的改进。
Simplicity comes from hundreds of little changes.
因此,他以特斯拉和Model 3的制造过程为例说明了这一点。
And so he gives this example of Tesla and the model three buildup.
几个月来,我一直在超级工厂帮忙解决电池生产问题。
For months, I was at the Gigafactory trying to help fix battery production.
这都是些细小的事情。
It's a lot of little things.
我仔细审视每个流程的每一个微小环节,问自己:这个步骤是必要的吗?
I look at every tiny part of each process and ask, is this process necessary?
例如,一个机器人会把汽车底盘放到转盘上。
For example, a robot would put a car frame on a turntable.
转盘旋转后,另一个机器人将其取走。
The turntable rotates, then another robot picks it up.
问题是,转盘有时会出故障。
The problem was that the turntable sometimes breaks down.
所以我们取消了转盘,直接改为机器人之间的交接。
So we eliminated the turntable and just have a robot to robot handoff.
这样我们就减少了一个步骤、减少了设备,并且不再需要担心转盘故障。
Then we had one less step, less equipment, and didn't have turntable breakage to consider.
这些都是非常简单的事情,但要重复上千次。
It is a lot of this really simple stuff, but a thousand times.
关键是尽量减少出错的可能性,同时最大化简单环节的效率。
It is a lot of minimizing things that can go wrong and maximizing the efficiency of the simple things.
你需要的是更少的东西,而不是更多。
You want fewer things, not more.
我得再重复一遍。
I gotta repeat that.
你需要的是更少的东西,而不是更多。
You want fewer things, not more.
然后书中讲到了马斯克最常重复的内容,也就是算法。
And then the book goes into what Elon repeats the most, which is the algorithm.
我对算法说得都像复读机了,但说得再烦人也有帮助。
I became a broken record on the algorithm, but it's helpful to say it to an annoying degree.
我让我的每一家公司都严格实施一个五步工程流程。
I have every one of my companies rigorously implement a five step process for engineering.
我称之为算法。
I call it the algorithm.
顺序非常重要。
The order is very important.
第一步,让你的需求别那么蠢。
Number one, make your requirements less dumb.
第二步,尽力删除某个部分或流程。
Number two, try very hard to delete the part or process.
第三步,简化或优化。
Number three, simplify or optimize.
第四步,加速。
Number four, accelerate.
第五步,自动化。
Number five, automate.
然后有人问他,为什么这些步骤的顺序如此重要?
And then he's asked the question, why is the order of the steps so important?
我本人多次犯过逆着这五个步骤走的错误。
I've personally made the mistake of going backwards on all five steps multiple times.
特斯拉的许多东西都是先自动化、再加速、然后简化,最后被删除的。
Many things at Tesla were automated, accelerated, simplified, and then deleted.
所以他为我们一步步地讲解。
And so he walks us through the steps.
第一步是质疑需求,让你的需求不那么愚蠢。
The first step is to question the requirements and make your requirements less dumb.
你必须从这里开始,否则你可能会对错误的问题给出完美的答案。
You have to start there because otherwise, you could get the perfect answer to the wrong question.
你的需求肯定很愚蠢。
Your requirements are definitely dumb.
不管这些需求是谁给你的,都没关系。
It does not matter who gave them to you.
你拥有的任何需求都必须来自具体的人,而不是某个部门。
Whatever requirements you do have must come from a person, not a department.
你必须能够直接问那个人,提出需求的人必须对这个需求负责。
You have to be able to ask a person, and the person putting forth the requirement must take responsibility for that requirement.
我们经常遇到一些荒谬的需求,深入研究后发现,当前部门里没人同意这个需求。
Many times we've had dumb requirements, dug into them, and discovered no one currently working in the department agrees with that requirement.
第二步,尽最大努力删除某个部件或流程。
Step two, try very hard to delete the part or process.
这听起来显而易见,但人们常常忘记尝试彻底删除某些东西。
It sounds obvious, but people often forget to try deleting something entirely.
如果你在10次中有超过10次没有把删掉的东西加回去,那你删得还不够。
If you're not adding deleted things back in 10 of the time, you're not deleting enough.
我提前告诉他们:听着,我们故意要删除得比应该的更多。
I tell them in advance, look, we're deliberately going to delete more than we should.
我们删掉的一些东西,至少每10项中会重新加回一项。
Some of the things we delete, we're going to put back in at least one in 10 things.
我们会重新加回去。
We're going to add back in.
人们对此会有点震惊。
People get a little shook by that.
但如果你在删除时过于保守,以至于从来不需要把任何东西加回来,那显然你还有很多不必要的东西。
But if you're so conservative in deleting that you never have to put anything back in, you obviously have a lot of stuff that isn't needed.
在SpaceX,我会告诉团队:我们正在展开一场删除狂潮。
At SpaceX, I would tell the team, we're on a deletion rampage.
没有什么是神圣不可触碰的。
Nothing is sacred.
请全力以赴地进行删除和简化。
Please go ultra hardcore on deletion and simplification.
我们投入了巨大的努力来减轻重量。
We put immense effort into reducing mass.
一旦你尽可能多地删除了内容,第三步就是简化或优化。
Then once you have deleted as much as you can, the third step is to simplify or optimize.
第三步。
The third step.
第三步。
The third step.
不是第一步。
Not the first step.
为什么?
Why?
因为如果不这样,你就是在优化一个根本不应该存在的东西。
Because if not, you're working on optimizing a thing that should simply not exist.
然后,也只有在那时,第四步:缩短周期时间。
Then and only then, step four, accelerate cycle time.
一旦你朝着正确的方向高效前进,但速度还是太慢。
Once you're moving in the right direction and moving efficiently, you're moving too slow.
加快速度。
Go faster.
你总能让事情变得更快,但在完成前三件事之前,不要急于加速。
You can always make things go faster, but do not go faster until you've worked on the other three things first.
我错误地花了大量时间加速那些后来我意识到本该被删除的流程。
I mistakenly spent a lot of time accelerating processes that I later realized should have been deleted.
加速本不该存在的东西是荒谬的。
Speeding up something that shouldn't exist is absurd.
如果你正在挖自己的坟墓,就别挖得更快了。
If you're digging your grave, don't dig it faster.
停止挖掘。
Stop digging.
最后一步是自动化。
And then the final step is to automate.
特斯拉工厂最大的错误是我一开始就试图自动化每一个步骤。
The big mistake in the Tesla factories was I began by trying to automate every step.
为了解决这个问题,我们不得不从生产线上拆除数百台昂贵的机器人。
To fix that, we had to tear hundreds of expensive robots out of the production line.
我们甚至在厂房侧面开了个洞,只为把所有这些设备搬出去。
We put a hole in the side of the building just to remove all that equipment.
在引入自动化之前,一定要等到设计完流程的最后阶段,此时你已经质疑了所有需求并删除了不必要的部分。
Always wait until the end of designing a process after you have questioned all the requirements and deleted unnecessary parts before you introduce automation.
这是我对埃隆最喜爱的名言之一:一种疯狂的紧迫感是我们运作的原则。
And then this is one of my all time favorite Elon quotes, a maniacal sense of urgency is our operating principle.
除非你确信这些大型会议能为全体与会者带来价值,否则请取消所有大型会议;如果确实有价值,也要尽量缩短时间。
Get rid of all large meetings unless you're certain they're providing value to the whole audience, in which case, keep them short.
除非你正在处理极其紧急的事项,否则也要取消频繁的会议。
Also, rid of frequent meetings unless you're dealing with an extremely urgent matter.
一旦紧急事项解决,会议的频率应迅速降低。
Meeting frequency should drop rapidly once the urgent matter is resolved.
一旦明显发现你无法为会议增添价值,就立即离开会议或退出通话。
Walk out of a meeting or drop off a call as soon as it's obvious you aren't adding value.
离开会议并不粗鲁。
It is not rude to leave.
让别人留下来浪费时间才是粗鲁的行为。
It is rude to make someone else stay and waste their time.
唯一真正的货币是时间。
The only true currency is time.
唯一真正的货币是时间。
The only true currency is time.
最好的进攻就是这个,这太棒了。
The best offense this is this is incredible.
它谈论了速度作为进攻和防御的双重作用。
It talks about speed as both offense and defense.
最好的进攻和防御就是速度。
The best offense and defense is speed.
SR-71黑鸟是一款军用飞机,几乎没有任何防御手段,只有加速能力。
The s r 71 Blackbird is a military plane with almost no defense except acceleration.
它从未被击落过,一次都没有。
It was never shot down, not even once.
超过3000枚导弹曾向SR-71黑鸟发射,但没有一枚命中。
Over 3,000 missiles were shot at the s r 71 Blackbird and none hit.
它所做的只是更快地前进。
All it did was go faster.
速度作为一种竞争优势,其力量被低估了。
The power of speed is underappreciated as a competitive factor.
一个运行速度是另一家工厂两倍的工厂,本质上等同于两家工厂。
A factory moving at twice the speed of another factory is basically equivalent to two factories.
我覺得這太棒了。
I have this is so this is so great.
当他谈论自己日常运营方式时,这与速度有关。
When he talks about how he's operating on a day to day basis, it's related to speed.
我一直在对每个公司的工作进行优先级排序,不断思考:我现在能做的最有用的事情是什么?
I have a running triage of what I do at each company constantly thinking, what is the most useful thing I could do now?
在SpaceX早期,我告诉团队,我们所做的一切都取决于我们的消耗速率。
In early SpaceX, I told the team everything we did was a function of our burn rate.
我们每天消耗10万美元,而我预期十年后的日收入将达到1000万美元。
We were burning through a $100,000 a day in the same way I expected the revenue in ten years to be $10,000,000 a day.
我们每天拖延实现目标,就等于错失了那一天的收入。
Every day we were slower to achieve our goals was a day of missing out on that revenue.
然后他又回到这个观点:唯一真正的货币是时间。
And then he goes back to the idea of this is only true currency is time.
它太宝贵了。
It's so valuable.
特斯拉正达到这样一个阶段:每一分钟高质量的思考都能产生百万美元的影响。
Tesla is getting to the point where every high quality minute of thinking has a million dollar impact.
这太疯狂了。
That is insane.
如果特斯拉每周的收入是20亿美元,那每天大约是3亿美元,一周七天都是如此。
If Tesla is doing 2,000,000,000 a week in revenue, that's about 300,000,000 a day, seven days a week.
有很多例子表明,一场半小时的会议就让公司的财务状况改善了上亿美元。
There are many instances where a half hour meeting improved the company's financial outcomes by a $100,000,000.
你无法替代的唯一东西就是时间。
The one thing you cannot replace is time.
我经常告诉特斯拉团队,报废设备或金钱是可以接受的。
I often tell the Tesla team, it's okay to scrap equipment or money.
但浪费时间是不可接受的。
It's not okay to scrap time.
然后他在这里说了一句很棒的话,我觉得这很明显,但我想我们并没有充分思考过。
And then he has a great sentence here that I think is obvious, but I don't think we think enough about.
他说,你做任何事情的时间越长,累积的错误就会越多。
He says the longer you do anything, the more mistakes you will make cumulatively.
我刚做了一期关于罗杰·费德勒的节目,他指出,世界上那些在各自领域最顶尖的人,犯的错误比其他任何人都多。
I would just did this episode on Roger Federer, and he made the point that the people that are best in the world at what they do, they made way more mistakes than anybody else in their profession.
所以埃隆说,你做任何事情的时间越长,累积的错误就会越多。
So Elon says the longer you do anything, the more mistakes you will make cumulatively.
然后这可能是这本书的核心主题——我们必须创造东西。
And then this may be the main theme of the book, the fact that we must make stuff.
埃隆正在分享这些想法。
Elon is sharing these ideas.
他是在鼓励你去创造东西。
He's encouraging you to make things.
制造业被低估了。
Manufacturing is underrated.
这很难。
It is hard.
我们必须制造东西。
We must make stuff.
有些人对经济抱有荒谬的看法,认为它是一种能自动生产东西的魔法。
Some people have an absurd view of the economy as a magic thing that just produces stuff.
让我来点醒那些傻瓜。
Let me break it to the fools out there.
如果我们不制造东西,那就什么都没有。
If we don't make stuff, there's no stuff.
有些人已经脱离了现实。
Some people have become detached from reality.
认为政府只要给每个人发支票就能解决一切问题,这种想法是不对的。
This notion that the government can just send checks out to everyone and everything will be fine is not true.
你不能仅仅靠立法来创造金钱以解决问题。
You can't just legislate money to solve things.
如果我们不制造东西,那就什么都没有。
If you don't make stuff, there is no stuff.
技术进步并不是必然的。
Technological progress is not inevitable.
它不是某种抽象的概念。
It's not some kind of abstract concept.
技术是由人类创造的。
Humans make technology.
如果我们不去做,它就不会发生。
If we don't do it, it will not happen.
总得有人来做真正的工作。
Somebody has to do the real work.
金融行业过度配置了人才。
There is an over allocation of talent in finance.
太多聪明人进入了金融行业。
Too many smart people go into finance.
我们应该减少从事金融的人数,增加制造产品的人数。
We should have fewer people doing finance and more people making stuff.
制造业曾经在美国备受重视。
Manufacturing used to be highly valued in The United States.
如今这种情况已大不如前,我认为这是错误的。
These days it hasn't been as much, which I think is wrong.
造汽车确实是实实在在的劳动。
Making cars is an honest day's living, that's for sure.
制造任何东西,或者提供像优质娱乐、优质信息这样的有价值服务,都是很有价值的事情。
Making anything or providing a valuable service like good entertainment, good information, these are valuable things to do.
我非常尊重那些创造实物的人。
I've got mad respect for the makers of things.
这是一个绝佳的格言。
This is a great maxim.
我觉得我甚至不需要解释它。
I don't even think I have to explain it.
埃隆经常这么做。
Elon does this all the time.
他说要攻克瓶颈。
He says attack the constraint.
另一段精彩的内容说,制造才是护城河。
Another great section that says manufacturing is the moat.
决定制造业竞争力的两个因素是规模经济和技术。
Two things define manufacturing competitiveness, economies of scale and technology.
如果你最大化技术水平和生产规模,这显然是最具竞争力的状态。
If you maximize your level of technology and maximize your level of scale, this is obviously going to be the most competitive situation.
这就是为什么工厂如此巨大的原因。
That's why plants are so freaking giant.
他还谈到了特斯拉的一些创新。
And he talks about some of the innovations at Tesla.
我们也引入了一项重大创新,那就是将整车铸造成一个整体。
We've also introduced a major innovation, which is to cast the car as a single piece.
这个想法来源于玩具车。
I got this idea from toy cars.
我想知道为什么玩具这么便宜。
I wondered toys are cheap.
他们是怎么做玩具的?
How do they make toys?
他们直接浇铸成型。
They just cast them.
我当时就想,能不能造出一台足够大的铸造机来生产汽车?
I was like, well, can you build a casting machine big enough for a car?
他们说以前从来没有人做过这件事。
They said no one has ever done that before.
我说,我们是在违反物理定律吗?
I said, we breaking the laws of physics?
他们说没有。
They said no.
于是我便说,我们直接去问他们吧。
So I said, let's just ask them.
世界上有六家主要的压铸机供应商。
There were six major casting machine suppliers in the world.
其中五家说不行,第六家说也许可以。
Five of them said no, and the sixth said maybe.
我说,我就当这是肯定了。
I said, I'll take that as a yes.
书的第三部分全是关于创建公司的内容。
And then part three of the book is all about building companies.
它以埃隆的一个问答开始。
It starts with a question and answer from Elon.
问题。
Question.
是什么激发了你的创造力?
What fuels your creativity?
答案。
Answer.
压力。
Pressure.
必要性。
Necessity.
在这一部分中,你得到了大量实用的建议。
And in this section, you just got a lot of practical advice.
比如,你想直接把产品卖给最终消费者。
Like, you wanna sell your product straight to the end consumer.
你不希望有人在你生产的产品和你销售的产品之间中间插一脚。
You don't want somebody standing in between your what you're making and what you're selling.
他提到,你应该把自己的钱投入自己的公司。
Talks about the fact that, you know, you should be putting your own money into your companies.
我总是想把我的筹码推回桌上,或者进入下一阶段的游戏。
I always wanted to push my chips back on the table or play the next level of the game.
我不擅长坐等观望。
I'm not good at sitting back.
他还讲了一个关于上世纪九十年代创办X.com的搞笑故事。
And he tells a hilarious story about starting x.com back in the nineties.
迈克·莫里斯加入了公司董事会。
Mike Morris joined the company board.
他告诉我:伙计,你别把除了房子和车子之外的所有钱都投进初创公司,但我还是把筹码留在了桌上。
He told me, dude, you should not invest basically everything except your house and car in your startup, but I kept my chips on the table.
然后他又回到这个观点:持续迭代,用现实作为验证工具,这就是我对这个问题的理解。
And then he just goes back to this idea of this constant iteration trying to get essentially using reality as a validation tool is the way I think about this.
我试图构建一个对现实的准确心理模型。
I'm trying to create an accurate mental model of reality.
如果我对某件事有错误的看法,或者有可以改进的地方,我会说:我以前认为是这样,但后来发现是错的。
If I have a wrong view on something or if there's an improvement that can be made, I say, used to think this, which turned out to be wrong.
幸好我不再持有这种错误的信念了。
Thank goodness I don't have that wrong belief anymore.
我非常相信反馈,而他也喜欢竞争。
I'm a huge believer in feedback, and he likes to compete.
他说,对我来说重要的是赢,而且不是小规模的赢。
He says what matters to me is winning and not in a small way.
他回到出售X.com之后的故事,X.com后来变成了PayPal,而他做出了人生中最重要的决定——创立SpaceX。
Goes back to after he sold x.com, which turned into PayPal and makes the most important decision of his life, which is to start SpaceX.
他说,我可以去买巴哈马的一个岛屿,把它变成我的私人领地,但我更感兴趣的是尝试创建一家新公司。
He says I could go and buy one of the islands of The Bahamas and turn it into my personal fiefdom, but I'm much more interested in trying to build and create a new company.
我还没花掉我的赢利。
I haven't spent my winnings.
我要把几乎全部资金重新投入一场新游戏。
I'm going to put almost all of it back into a new game.
所以他正在谈论这个想法。
And so he's talking about this idea.
他说,我通过两次创建Zip2和PayPal这样的软件赚了一大笔钱。
He's like, well, I made a bunch of money in twice Zip2 and PayPal building software.
为什么还要进入太空、能源、汽车这些领域呢?
Why go into, you know, space, energy, automotive?
他说,大量的创业人才和资金都流向了互联网。
And he says a lot of entrepreneurial talent and financing goes into the Internet.
像汽车、太阳能和太空这样的其他行业,很少有新进入者。
Other sectors like automotive, solar, and space don't see new entrants.
很少有创业者进入这些领域,也很少有资本投入这些初创公司。
Not a lot of entrepreneurs go into those areas, and not a lot of capital goes into those startups.
这是一个问题,因为创新往往来自行业的新人。
That is a problem because innovation tends to come from new entrants to an industry.
在寡头垄断中,没有人被迫去创新。
In an oligopoly, no one is forced to innovate.
新进入者比任何其他因素更能推动创新,这就是为什么我把精力投入到这些行业的新公司建设中。
New entrants drive innovation more than anything, which is why I've devoted my efforts to building new companies in those industries.
他回到这个观点:不要庆祝原型,要庆祝量产。
He goes back to the idea, don't celebrate the prototype, Celebrate production.
原型很简单。
Prototypes are easy.
量产,尤其是盈利的量产,极其困难,极其痛苦。
Production, especially profitable production, is insanely hard, insanely painful.
他说,特斯拉早期我们犯了太多错误。
He says we made so many mistakes in the beginning of Tesla.
我们做的几乎每一个决定都是错的。
Almost every decision we made was wrong.
我们制造了一个手工制作、极其昂贵的原型。
We made a finically, individually made, super expensive prototype.
我记得在早期,我给谷歌的创始人拉里·佩奇和谢尔盖·布林试驾过。
I remember in the early days giving a test ride to Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the founders of Google.
系统里有个bug,该死的,车子只能跑每小时10英里。
There was some bug in the system, and damn it, the car would only go 10 miles an hour.
我坐在副驾驶座上说:伙计们,我发誓,这车能跑得快得多。
I was in the passenger seat saying, guys, I swear, it goes a lot faster than this.
尽管演示效果糟糕透顶,他们还是愿意对公司进行一些投资。
They were kind enough to put a little investment into the company despite the world's worst demo.
简直是在燃烧,我得再读一遍。
It was flat out burning I gotta read that again.
这简直就是一场彻头彻尾的愚蠢灾难。
It was just a flat out burning dumpster fire of stupidity.
如果从一张白纸开始设计,而不是试图改造其他东西,会明智得多。
It would have been much, much smarter to start with a clean sheet design and not try to modify something else.
我原本打算和JB Straubel一起,基于AC Propulsion的原型创办一家电动车公司。
I was going to start an EV company with JB Straubel based on the AC Propulsion prototype.
当我问AC Propulsion这样做是否可以时,他们说已经有其他人想创办一家电动车公司。
When I asked AC Propulsion if it was okay to do that, they said there's some other people who wanna create an EV company.
你愿意和他们合作吗?
Would you like to join forces with them?
我说,好吧。
I said, okay.
那是个巨大的错误。
That was a huge mistake.
JB和我本应该自己创办这家公司。
JB and I should have just started the company ourselves.
我的本能倾向是即使在经历了这次事后,也更愿意从零开始。
My default inclination is to start things from scratch even more so after this experience.
关于特斯拉早期的历史,有很多有趣的细节。
And there's just huge chunks of interesting tidbits from the early Tesla the early history of Tesla, I should say.
他提到,他原本并没有打算成为特斯拉的首席执行官。
He talks about he didn't didn't wasn't planning on becoming Tesla's CEO.
我从未想过当CEO,但我明白,除非你是CEO,否则你无法真正担任首席技术官或产品负责人。
I never wanted to be CEO, but I learned you could not truly be the chief technology or product officer unless you were the CEO.
同时担任两家初创公司的CEO并不吸引人。
Being CEO of two startups at the same time was not appealing.
对于任何认为这是个好主意的人来说,这都不该吸引人。
It shouldn't be appealing for anyone thinking it was a good idea.
这是个糟糕的主意。
It was a terrible idea.
我这事儿太搞笑了。
I have this is hilarious.
我有个习惯,总是咬下超过自己能消化的东西,然后像仓鼠一样鼓着腮帮子干坐着。
I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew and just sitting there with chipmunk cheeks.
他谈到特斯拉本来不应该成功的。
And he talks about Tesla should not have worked.
美国没有破产的汽车公司总数只有两家。
The number of American car companies that haven't gone bankrupt is a grand total of two.
福特和特斯拉。
Ford and Tesla.
创办一家汽车公司是愚蠢的。
Starting a car company is idiotic.
然后他谈到在特斯拉公司状况糟糕、正值经济大衰退时试图筹集资金。
And then he talks about trying to raise money for Tesla when the company looks terrible and they're going through a great recession.
2008年,当通用汽车濒临破产时,试图为一家初创电动汽车公司融资非常困难。
Trying to raise money for a startup electric car company 2008 while GM was going bankrupt was difficult.
我找到的投资者说,他们会投入和我一样多的钱,于是我拿出了所有剩下的钱, literally everything。
The investors I found said they would invest as much as I put in, so I put in everything, all the money I had left, literally everything.
我没有房子。
I didn't have a house.
我住在朋友的空房间里,他谈到当时这些投资者挺身而出,他有多么感激。
I was staying in a friend's spare bedroom, and he talks about how grateful he is for these investors to stand up at the time.
他说,特斯拉当时看起来也没有吸引力。
He says, Tesla did not look appealing either.
当时还没有能源部的贷款。
There was no DOE loan.
一分钱也没有,也没有任何交易。
There was no dime or deal.
这款车的毛利率为负。
The car had a negative gross margin.
哦,最大的股东因为失踪而大发雷霆。
Oh, and the largest shareholder was pissed off going AWOL.
情况很糟糕。
It was ugly.
这让他濒临精神崩溃。
And this pushes him to the edge of sanity.
于是他被问到一个问题:当这么多事情同时出错时,你该如何优先处理?
And so he's asked the question, like, do you prioritize with so many things going wrong at once?
优先级通常是出于绝望,而不是主动选择。
Prioritizing has usually been out of desperation, not selection.
并不是说,我们坐下来悠闲地决定该如何分配这些资源。
It's not, oh, let's sit back and leisurely decide how we should spend these resources.
这行不通。
It's this isn't working.
如果我们不能让它成功,我们就得破产,所以我们必须让它成功。
If we don't make it work, we're gonna go bankrupt, so we better make it work.
我们在Model 3生产线的几乎每一个环节都搞砸了。
We messed up almost every aspect of the model three production line.
错误太多了,整个公司都不得不投入进来修复这些问题。
There were so many mistakes the entire company had to be devoted to fixing them.
我们把所有人从其他所有项目上撤了下来。
We took everyone off every other project.
我们都开始专注于Model 3的生产。
We all started working on the Model three.
我们必须让它成功,否则就再也没有特斯拉了。
We had to make it work or there wouldn't be any more Tesla.
我感觉自己就像印第安纳·琼斯在神庙里狂奔。
I felt like Indiana Jones running down the temple.
有一块巨大的岩石在追你,你必须跳过地面上的巨大深坑。
There's a huge boulder chasing you, and you need to jump across a giant pit in the ground.
如果你慢下来,岩石就会压垮你。
If you slow down, the boulder will crush you.
如果你跳不过去,就会死在坑里。
And if you don't make the leap, you'll die in the pit.
这就是优先级的含义。
That's prioritizing.
于是有人问他:你是如何激励团队不计一切代价去完成任务的?
And so he was asked the question, how did you motivate the team to do whatever it takes?
我告诉他们,我们必须全力以赴。
I told them we had to go ultra hardcore.
他们必须为一种前所未有的高强度做好准备。
They had to prepare for a level of intensity greater than anything they had experienced before.
我连续三年住在工厂里,修复那条生产线,像疯子一样在工厂的每个角落奔走,和团队住在一起。
I lived in the factories for three years fixing that production line, running around like a maniac through every part of the factory, living with the team.
我睡在地板上,这样经历艰难时刻的团队就能看到我躺在地上,知道我并没有高高在上。
I slept on the floor so the team going through a hard time could see me on the floor, and they knew I was not in some ivory tower.
他们经历的任何痛苦,我都承受得更多。
Whatever pain they experienced, I had more.
我把自己逼到了理智的边缘,但这就是结果。
I worked to the edge of sanity, but here's the result.
到这个时候,我认为我对制造的了解可能超过地球上任何在世的人。
At this point, I think I know more about manufacturing than anyone currently alive on Earth.
我可以告诉你,每一天,我都能说出那辆汽车的每一个零部件是如何制造出来的。
I can tell you every day I can tell you every damn part of that car is made.
这就是你住在工厂三年后会发生的事。
That's what happens if you live in the factory for three years.
因此,在这一部分,他谈论的是控制和垂直整合,但其实这支撑了他所说的巨大竞争优势——也就是你们公司运转的速度。
And so in this section, he's talking about control and vertical integration, but really it feeds what he said was a massive committed advantage, and that's the speed at which your company can move.
特斯拉有很多垂直整合。
There's a lot of vertical integration at Tesla.
我们自己制造电池包、电力电子设备和驱动系统。
We make the battery pack, the power electronics, and the drivetrain ourselves.
我们实行垂直整合,因为我们需要的速度远超供应链所能提供的速度。
We're vertically integrated because the pace we needed to move was much faster than the supply chain could move.
你对传统供应链的依赖程度越高,就越会继承它们的局限,包括速度、成本和技术。
To the degree that you rely on the legacy supply chain, you inherit their legacy constraints, including their speeds, cost, and technology.
然后埃隆谈到,即使你行动迅速,仍需关注每一个细微的细节。
And then Elon talks about even though you're moving fast, you still have to pay attention to every little detail.
大多数人并不会有意识地注意到这些小细节,但他们会无意识地感知到。
Most people don't consciously notice the small details, but they do subconsciously.
你的大脑会形成一个整体印象。
Your mind takes an overall impression.
你能感觉到某样东西是否吸引人,即使你无法明确说出具体原因。
You know if something is appealing or not even though you may not be able to point out exactly why.
这种感觉是许多细节的综合体现。
That sense is a summation of many details.
我们大多数人会这样感受:这很难看,或者这很美,或者哇,这真优雅,但却说不清为什么。
Most of us experience this as, hey, that's ugly, or that's beautiful, or wow, that's elegant, but can't break down why.
史蒂夫·乔布斯对此有一句精彩的话。
Steve Jobs has a great line about this.
他说,一个优秀的产品必须比它必须达到的更好。
He said a great product has to be better than it has to be.
关注那些细微的细节。
Pay attention to the little details.
训练自己去注意到它们。
Train yourself to notice them.
如果你想要打造一个完美的产品,注重细节是至关重要的。
If you're trying to make a perfect product, attention to detail is essential.
专注于信号,而非噪音。
Focus on signal over noise.
很多公司都会搞混这一点。
A lot of companies get confused.
他们把大量资金花在了实际上并不能提升产品品质的事情上。
They spend a lot of money on things that don't actually make the product better.
我们把所有资金都重新投入研发、制造和设计中。
We put all of our money back into research and development, manufacturing, and design.
对于任何公司来说,都要问一个问题:我们投入的精力是否带来了更好的产品或服务?
For any company, ask, are the efforts we're expending resulting in a better product or service?
如果答案是否定的,就停止这些努力。
If they're not, stop those efforts.
他回到了选择使命这个观点上。
And he goes back to this idea of picking a mission.
你只有一次人生。
Like, you have one life.
就选择一个你觉得重要的使命吧。
Just pick a mission you think is important.
我不会看各种想法时,问:从财务角度看,最佳商业机会的排名顺序是什么?
I don't look at ideas and ask, what is the rank ordered list of best business opportunities from a financial standpoint?
我寻找那些亟待解决的重要问题。
I look for problems that are important to fix.
公司股票价值并不是我衡量自身成就的标准。
Company stock value is not a metric by which I judge my own achievements.
我并不是在试图找出投资金钱的最佳排序方式,然后据此选择了太空领域。
It's not like I was trying to figure out the rank ordered best way to invest my money, and on that basis, I chose space.
我并没有想过做房地产或投资制鞋,然后发现太空领域的投资回报率最高。
I didn't think I could do real estate or invest in shoemaking, and wow, space has the highest return on investment.
那根本不是我的出发点。
That was not my premise.
最可能的结果是我会输掉全部资金。
The likeliest outcome is that I would lose all my money.
但还有什么其他选择呢?
But what is the alternative?
太空探索毫无进展?
No progress in space exploration?
我们必须试一试,否则我们将永远被困在地球上。
We've got to give this a shot or we're stuck on Earth forever.
如今,SpaceX是全球最有价值的私营公司之一。
And, you know, in present day, SpaceX is one of the most valuable private companies on the planet.
我最近读了很多关于它的资料,我一直记得的是,埃隆早在二十四年前就创立了这家公司。
I've been reading a lot about it lately, and something I just kept in mind is the fact that Elon started it twenty four ago.
当时他30岁,所有人都嘲笑他。
He was 30 years old, and everybody made fun of him.
他们一直称他为玩昂贵玩具的互联网人。
They kept calling him this Internet guy playing with expensive toys.
他们还会称他为这个软件工程师。
This software guy is what they would call him.
然而,他越深入了解,越阅读、越与人交流,就越坚信这里存在着巨大的机遇。
And yet the more he learned about this, the more he started reading, started talking to people, the more convinced he thought there was a massive opportunity here.
大家都知道他用第一性原理分析火箭材料成本的有趣观点,但这是我第一次在任何关于埃隆的资料中看到这一点。
He has a funny every everybody's heard this idea of, you know, him breaking down what the material cost for a rocket are from First Principles Thinking, but he also this is the first time I think I've ever seen this in anything I've read on Elon.
他用一种很特别的方式解释了为什么他认为有机会制造出更低成本的发射载具。
He's a funny way to to describe why he thought there was also an opportunity to make a more cost effective launch vehicle.
因为当时,俄罗斯是唯一的选择。
Because at the time, Russia was the only option.
他想知道,俄罗斯人是怎么造出低成本火箭的?
And he goes, how could the Russians build low cost rockets?
我们不会开俄罗斯的汽车,坐俄罗斯的飞机,也不会用俄罗斯的厨房电器。
It's not like we drive Russian cars, fly Russian planes, or have Russian kitchen appliances.
美国是一个竞争非常激烈的国家,我们理应能制造出成本高效的发射载具。
The US is a pretty competitive place, and we should be able to build a cost efficient launch vehicle.
然后他开始分析这个行业,这让我也忍不住笑了。
And then he starts analyzing the industry, and this just made me laugh too.
大型航天公司有一种倾向,就是把所有事情都外包出去。
There's a tendency in big aerospace companies to outsource everything.
这在许多行业里都很流行,但航天业做得太过分了。
That's been trendy in many industries, but aerospace has done it to a ridiculous degree.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。