本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你好、再见、哈喽(这里依次对应西班牙语、法语、英语的问候表达)。
Hola, bonjour, hello.
我来问你一个问题。
Let me ask you a question.
你觉得有没有可能开办这样一门语言课:课上不教授语言本身、相关规则还有词汇,而是你和你的学生们通过使用这门语言,愉快地了解彼此,也了解这个世界?
Do you think it's possible to have a word language class where instead of teaching the language, the rules, and the vocab, you and your students use the language to enjoy learning about each other and the world?
我希望你的答案是绝对的肯定,因为这正是你会在播客《在能力提升中成长》里发现的内核。
I hope your answer is a big yes because that's exactly what you will discover in Growing With Proficiency, the podcast.
我叫克劳迪娅·埃利奥特,是一名在哥伦比亚出生长大的西班牙语教师。我和你们一样满怀热忱,希望能帮助我们的学习者提升语言水平,培养文化素养。
My name is Claudia Elliott, a Spanish teacher born and raised in Colombia, who is as passionate as you are to support our learners to grow in their proficiency and cultural competence.
我的目标是,大家能在这期播客里理清思路、获取实用策略、收集实用想法、汲取奋进力量,并且第二天就能把这些内容用到自己的课堂上。
My goal is that in this podcast, you'll find clarity, strategies, ideas, and inspiration that you can bring into your classroom the next day.
你们准备好了吗?
Are you ready?
先找个舒服的地方坐好,我去拿一杯哥伦比亚小咖啡,咱们现在就开启这场对话。
Get comfortable while I grab cafecito colombiano, and let's start this conversation now.
大家好。
Hello.
欢迎收听全新一期的《能力成长》播客。
Welcome to a new episode of Growing With Proficiency, the podcast.
我是克劳迪娅·埃利奥特,是本播客的主持人。
My name is Claudia Elliott and I am your host.
今天能和大家在这里相伴我十分激动,因为本期要分享的是我们几周前在CI Reboot活动现场录制的播客实况。
And I'm so excited to be here today because today I'm bringing you our live podcast episode that we recorded inside CI Reboot a few weeks ago.
在本期播客中,我有幸和两位博士嘉宾一同交流
And for this podcast, I had the honor to be with Dr.
凯伦·利希特曼与杰森·弗里茨,我们探讨了一件对你我而言都至关重要的事,那就是为语言习得开展教学所需具备的能力
Karen Lichtman and Jason Fritze to talk about something that I know is so important for you and me, And it's the skills to teach for acquisition.
不过这堂课内容很长,所以我们想聚焦于三项核心能力——这是我们在为语言习得开展教学的过程中,需要始终打磨的能力
But the lesson is long and we want to concentrate in the three basic skills that we need to be working all the time when we're teaching for acquisition.
但首先,我们得先解答一个问题
But we need to answer a question first.
这个问题就是,为可习得性开展教学究竟意味着什么?
And that question is, what does it mean to teach for acquisition?
接下来我们先请
And we're gonna start with Dr.
凯伦·利希特曼博士来解答这个问题。
Karen Lichtman for that answer.
其实我昨天已经多少聊过这个话题了。
So I talked about this somewhat yesterday.
就像你刚才说的,我们所有人的价值观都差不多,我们心里也都明白,我们的教学目标是为语言习得而教。
And as you said, we all kinda share the same values, and we sort of know this, that our goal is to teach for acquisition.
或者我昨天用过的另一个说法是,为内隐知识而教,或是为程序性知识而教。
Or the other terms I used yesterday are teaching for implicit knowledge or teaching for procedural knowledge.
这些说法的核心意思是,你通过教学,让学生在脑海中建立起一种和他们母语那样的语言知识。
So what all that means is that you're teaching to get knowledge in your head that's like your knowledge of your first language.
人类的大脑天生就具备语言能力,而且它能非常高效、轻松地习得语言,不需要耗费大量精力去思考、钻研和死记硬背,这正是你在教学中要追求的目标。
So the human brain is made to do language, and it's made to do it very efficiently and easily and without using a lot of thought and study and memorizing, and that is what you are going for.
所以你要追求的是让学习者把语言掌握得足够熟练,能在交流时快速运用;而不是那种需要他们停下来琢磨、查资料、翻对照表才能用的语言,那种语言对他们来说毫无用处。
So you are going for language that learners know so well that they can use it quickly when they're talking and not language that they need to sit around and think about and look up and consult a chart, that's not useful to them.
所以你要培养的,是他们大脑中形成的抽象且复杂的语言能力。
So what you're looking for is abstract, complex language knowledge in their head.
我觉得这太有实用价值了。
I think that is so useful.
我刚开始接触这个理念的时候,有一件事让我一下子就开窍了——这类教学并不是那种脱离实际的纯学术理论课堂,对吧?
And I always like, when I start learning about it, one of the things, like, one moment for me, like, so this is not an academic and intellectual type of class, right?
就我之前的想法来说,我会觉得只要擅长背诵、记忆力好就行,但后来我才发现,天啊,我完全错了,因为这门课根本不是那套逻辑。
Like, because for me, was that like, oh, if you're good at memorization, if you have a good memory, but then I'm like, oh gosh, I was like totally wrong because this is not that type of class.
杰森,刚才你已经把相关研究和理论部分讲得非常透彻了,那现在跟我们说说,放到实际课堂里这种教学是什么样的?
So now that you were super clear with that research and the theory part, Jason, tell us how does that look like in the classroom.
就是当我们说自己在为语言习得而教学,真正走进课堂之后,一个细心的观察者应该能看到课堂里在发生什么?
So when we're saying, oh, I'm teaching for acquisition, and you go to the classroom, What an observant part should see happening in the class?
沟通,不间断的沟通。
Communication, constant communication.
大量的意义,学生不断在解读含义。
Tons of meaning, students interpreting meaning constantly.
你说得完全正确。
What you said is exactly right.
这并不是学术性的。
It's not academic.
它应该与大学、高中、初中甚至小学中其他学科课程的感觉截然不同。
It should feel very different from other content classes that may be happening in university, in high school, middle school, even elementary school.
我总是喜欢告诉老师:欢迎来到幼儿园。
I always like to tell teachers, Welcome to preschool.
我们是从最基础的地方开始构建语言的。
We're building language from the very beginning.
对我来说,它应该是什么样子的?
To me, what should it look like?
它应该是什么感觉?
What should it feel like?
我的意思是,我合作过的许多母语者都遇到困难。
I mean, so many of native speakers that I've worked with have trouble.
我不认为我能教好自己的母语。
I don't think I would be good at teaching my own language.
英语我没做过,因为我们语言太多了。
English, I've not done it because we have so much language.
我们在限制词汇量并使其易懂方面有困难。
We have trouble limiting vocabulary and making it comprehensible.
所以,我尤其对母语教师说:你有孩子吗?
So what I've said, especially to native speaker teachers, do you have kids?
你有孩子吗?
Do you have children?
想象一下,把你孩子的脸庞放在你的成年学生身上。
Then imagine the face of your child on your adult student.
想象一下,把你婴儿的脸庞放在你的中学生脸上。
Imagine the face of your baby on the face of your middle school kids.
就像你在家里和自己的孩子说话那样跟他们交流。
Talk to them just like you did your own kids at home.
你或许不会在厨房一边做饭一边问他们想吃这个还是那个,但我们依然可以控制词汇量,重复运用学过的词,始终以学生为中心,围绕他们的喜好、厌恶、他们的自身情况、他们的预判和想法来展开教学。我们要尽可能地把课堂重心放在学生身上,引导他们融入教学内容,核心是做到真正的沟通。
You may not be in the kitchen cooking with them, asking if they want to eat this or this, but we can still limit vocabulary, recycle, keep it very student centered on their likes, their dislikes, who they are, what predictions they make, what they think, but we wanna make it about the students as much as possible, bring them to the content, but really just communicate.
尽管去交流,多交流,常交流。
Talk, talk, talk.
但就像比尔·范·帕滕常说的那样:不要对着学生单向灌输,要和他们双向沟通。
But as Bill Van Patten likes to say, Don't talk at, talk with.
这也就意味着,在这类交流过程中,我们提出问题,学生们作答,我们接着提出追问,学生们继续回答,之后他们也会提出问题,我们为他们提供学习支架,同时和整个小组交流,整个过程就是持续不断地用目标语言沟通。
And so that means in that communication, we're asking questions, they're answering, we're asking follow-up questions, they're answering, they're asking the question, we're scaffolding, we're talking to the group, It's just constant target language communication.
这种课堂氛围应该更像一场日常对话,而不是一堂严肃的学术课程。
It should feel like a conversation rather than an academic class.
是的。
Yes.
而且我觉得你刚才说的这点非常关键,因为我们需要把自己的学习者看作是和我们相互交流、彼此对话的对象,而不是我们单向灌输的对象。
And I think what you said is so key because I think we need to think about our learners as the person that we are talking with, talking to, not talking at.
而且有时候我们会忘记这点,是吧?
And sometimes we forget, right?
所以我们得一直把这点记在心上。
Like we need to keep that in mind.
也就是我们要进行什么样的交流。
It's like what type of conversation we're having.
在我们开始讲解作为本次核心内容的教学技巧之前,先提一下你刚才提到的两件事。
Now, before we start with the skills, which is like really the center of this, you mentioned two things.
你刚才提到了两个词,我想把它们弄明白,或许在座的某位能给我们再讲讲清楚,因为我觉得我们很多人对这两个词都存在误解。
You mentioned two words that I want to like have some clarity and maybe one of you can give us more clarity about that because I feel like we have a misunderstanding, a lot of those two words.
到底什么才是真正的交流?
And is what is really communication?
还有你刚才说的那个说法到底是什么意思?
And what is when you were saying it like it's meaning?
所以我们说的这类表达到底指的是什么呢?
So what do we mean like that?
因为如果我们没能把这一点理清楚,我们可能会以为,哦,我们在这堂课里已经在开展沟通了。
Because if we don't have clarity on that, we may think, oh, we're communicating in this class.
然后还觉得我的课堂里正在进行一场很棒的沟通活动。
We are having this amazing communicative event in my class.
但也许我们根本没做到这一点——如果你和我一样,当老师的时候最初只有教科书这一种教学资源的话,我其实……我觉得我本身也算有点底子的,你们懂的,我读过法学院,还拿到了硕士学位。
And maybe we're not doing that because if you are a teacher like me that started teaching with the only resource, that it was a textbook, I had a pretty, I mean like, think I'm a pretty, you know, I went to law school, I got my master's.
所以说我本身是有一些能力的,但我还是花了好一段时间才真正弄清楚沟通到底是什么,以及它的意义究竟是什么。
So like, I have some capacity there, but it took me some time to really have clarity of what communication was and what is the meaning.
你刚才说的‘意义’具体指什么?
Like what did you mean by meaning?
所以我想问问凯伦或者杰森,能不能帮我们理清一下,给一个清晰的定义或者例子,说说什么是符合的、什么是不符合的,这样我们就能把概念弄明白,大家讨论的都是同一件事了。
So I don't know if Karen or Jason, if you can help us a little bit with a clear definition or a clear example of what is and what is not so we can have clarity and we're talking about the same thing.
当然可以。
Sure.
沟通其实就是交换彼此不知道的信息。
So communication is exchanging unknown information.
你知道吧?
You know?
这背后还有更多内容,但这样记倒是挺好的。
There's a little more to it than that, but that's that's a good way to remember it.
所以,比如说,我说:‘这是什么?’
So, you know, if I'm saying, what's this?
这是个玻璃杯。
It's a glass.
这是什么?
What's this?
这是只鼠标。
It's a mouse.
那就不算沟通了。
Then, you know, that's not communication.
对吧?
Right?
哪怕是学生们互相问一模一样的问题也一样。
Even if students are asking each other that same question.
这些都属于展示性问题,作用就是考验你展示自己的知识储备。
So those those are all display questions, which are like, display your knowledge.
但真正的沟通里,你得去询问那些你不了解的信息。
So but you have to ask unknown information.
举个例子来说,就像这样:这是什么?
So for instance, you know, what's this?
这个我桌上刚好放着的小马宝莉玩偶,就是一个用来展示的例子。
This is a My Little Pony that I just happen to have on my desk, is a display question.
但如果我问,比如说,‘我们该给这只小马宝莉起什么名字呀?’
But then if I say, like, oh, what should we name the my little pony?
你懂吧?
You know?
我根本猜不到学生们会给出什么答案。
I don't know what the students are gonna say.
所以我们现在是在交流,这才是真正的交流。
So now we're communicating, and that's that's real communication.
在课堂上,这可以很简单,比如你有教室里的物品,就可以改成‘我们来做个交易’。
In a classroom, it can be as simple as if you got classroom objects, turn it into let's let's make a deal.
谁有三支铅笔?
Who has three pencils?
哦,你有两支?
Oh, you've got two?
谁有第三支?
Who has a third?
你有三支吗?
Do have three?
谁有——我的意思是,你可以做这样的调整,这样你就不再提展示性问题了,而是在玩游戏,找出一些信息。
Who has I mean, you can just make those shifts so that you're not doing display questions anymore, but you're actually playing a game, finding out some information.
什么颜色?
What color?
我这儿有一样东西。
I have an object here.
你觉得它是什么颜色的?
What color do you think it is?
我们这就是在交流了,我刚把它从袋子里拿出来。
And we're communicating, I pulled it out of the bag.
这些都是很基础的教学方法。
These are like elementary techniques.
我们有时候会用魔法袋来做预测活动。
We use the magic bag to make predictions sometimes.
但就像凯伦提到那些展示性问题时说的那样,绝对不能生硬地教语言,而是要真正去探索、获取信息,这一点非常重要。
But it's so important to not teach language, like Karen was saying with those display questions, but to actually find something out.
有时候只需要稍作调整,把你想要使用或者教授的语言灵活转化一下,用它来探寻一些实际的信息就好。
And sometimes it's just shifting, taking the language that you wanna use or teach and just shifting it a little bit to find something out with it.
杰森,我特别喜欢你举的那个‘谁有三支铅笔’的例子。因为我觉得有时候哪怕我们在做基于语言习得的教学,都会忍不住想检查学生的理解情况,或是想重复、巩固某些知识点结构。
Love that example that you did, Jason, about the who has the three pencils, because I think sometimes for us, even when we're doing acquisition based instruction, we want to check for comprehension, or we want to add like repeat and recycle some structures.
要是不留神的话,我们就会一直提各种展示性问题,没法做到真正聚焦。
And we start like, if we don't pay attention, we start doing like all display questions and we are not like really focusing.
但你刚才举的那个例子太巧妙了。
But the way that you just gave the example is so smart.
没错,我们也可以这么做,稍微调整一下就行。
Like, like yes, we can do the same, shifting a little bit.
还有一点对我来说也很有帮助,那就是先明确我们的初衷是什么?
And I think one more thing that for me has been helpful is what is the intention?
杰森,你刚才也提到了这点,就是你当时问的,这在课堂上应该是什么样的?
And you mentioned that, Jason, when you were saying, how should it look like in the class?
然后你提出要跟进追问,因为要是我们再一次丢掉了核心——那就是这得是真实的交流。
And you said the follow-up question, because if we, again, if we lose kind of like the focus on, okay, this is real communication.
我是真心想知道你的答案。
I really want to know your answer.
我想要就你的答案继续追问下去。
I want to like follow-up on your answer.
而不是说,哦,你这个周末做了什么?
And instead of saying, oh, what did you do this weekend?
我去看了电影。
I went to the movies.
好的。
Okay.
那么,凯伦,你这个周末做了什么?
So now, Karen, what did you do this weekend?
哦,我睡了一觉。
Oh, I slept.
好的。
Okay.
现在,阿德里亚娜,你这个周末做了什么?
Now, Adriana, what did you do this weekend?
哦,我读了点书。
Oh, I read.
然后你甚至都不会去深入聊对方的回答,因为你的真实目的其实只是练习谓语时态。
And then you just don't even engage with the answer because your intention is really to practice the predicate tense.
我认为哪怕这不是一个展示型提问,哪怕你确实不知道对方会回答什么,如果你不主动有意识地跟进、不作为这个场景的主导者来搭建一场真正的交流互动,那这个对话就会有点没氛围,进行不下去。
I think even though it's not a display question, even though it's an unknown information, if you don't really intentionally like follow-up and having your mind as the leader of that space to create this communicative event, it kind of like fades a little bit.
那既然我们已经理清了什么是以习得为基础的教学,以及这种教学该是什么样的,接下来我们聊聊要怎么把它落地?
So let's talk now that we have clarity of what is really acquisition based instruction and how it should look like, then how can we make it happen?
就像杰森说的,这件事说起来容易,做起来难。
Because as Jason said, it's so much easier said than done.
就比如如果我们的教室里有一群完全没接触过这门语言的学生,他们脑子里会想:这怎么跟我想的不一样,我什么都听不懂,那我们该怎么让这些内容变得易于理解呢?
Like when we have classrooms of students who haven't had any experience with language, when we have classroom with students that are like thinking about, oh, this should be like different, or I don't understand anything, or how can we make it comprehensible?
咱们来聊聊相关的能力技巧吧。
Let's talk a little bit about the skills.
我想先从杰森这边展开聊聊。
And I want to start with Jason a little bit.
杰森啊,我知道你一直以来都是许许多多老师的引路人,带出来了无数优秀的教师。
So Jason, I know that you have, I mean, you have been the mentor of so many teachers.
你指导过这么多老师。
You have coached so many teachers.
你帮助了成千上万的老师将这些原则真正融入课堂。
You have helped thousands of teachers to really incorporate these principles in the classroom.
那么,作为语言教师,你认为我们首先应该专注于哪一项技能,才能建立起真正以习得为导向的课堂?
So what would be that first skill that you really think we as language teachers should be working on through, so we can build this classroom where we are really leading for acquisition.
问题,问题,问题。
Questions, questions, questions.
多问问题。
Ask more questions.
我不想说装傻,虽然我过去几年确实这么做过,现在可能还在这么做,但或许可以说装困惑。
I don't wanna say act stupid, although I think I did it for years, still do it, but maybe say act confused.
比如,我经常不知道今天是几号。
For example, I often don't know the date.
在我的课堂上,说‘等等,今天是几号?’是非常真实的一件事。
It's a very real thing for me in my classroom to say, wait, what date is it today?
等等,今天是7号吗?
Wait, is today the seventh?
是8号吗?
Is the eighth?
真的,我不知道今天是几号。
Seriously, I don't know today's date.
不,是9号。
No, it's the ninth.
今天不是7号。
Today's not the seventh.
不是7月8号。
It's not the July 8.
今天是9号。
Today is the ninth.
但我经常说:等等,哦,是7月4号吗?
But I often would say, Wait, oh, is it the July 4?
你知道吧?
You know?
所以我在重复使用词汇。
So I'm recycling vocabulary.
我在交流,但老实说,当我问‘今天几号?’的时候
I'm communicating, but I honestly, when I say, What's the date today?
而且我写支票时,经常不知道。
And I'm writing a check, I often don't know.
多问点问题。
Ask more questions.
大声说出来。
Talk out loud.
我们在加州说,有前五项,是由加州政府资助的一项倡议。
We say in California, have the first five, an initiative funded by the state of California.
实际上,我觉得很可能是当年烟草公司获得巨额赔偿时,由他们出资资助的。
Actually, think it was probably funded by the tobacco companies in the big settlement that they got years ago.
但那笔钱用在了孩子在学校取得成功需要什么上?
But that money went into what do kids need to be successful in school?
他们需要语言。
They need language.
他们需要被人读书给他们听。
They need to be read to.
所以这个‘前五项’计划,三个词:交谈、阅读、唱歌。
So that first five initiative, three words, talk, read, sing.
交谈、阅读、唱歌。
Talk, read, sing.
这能改变一切。
It changes everything.
在孩子的头脑中建立语言能力。
Build the language in the head of children, kids.
我们该如何做到这一点?
And how do we do that?
父母通过不断提问来做到这一点。
Parents do it by asking a lot of questions.
那是你最喜欢的玩具吗?
Is that your favorite toy?
我要回到凯伦的话题。
I'm gonna go back to Karen.
我猜那个玩具不是你的,凯伦,而是你孩子的。
I'm imagining that that's not your toy, Karen, that it belongs to it's your kiddo.
但那是你最喜欢的玩具吗?
But is that your favorite toy?
是吗?
It is?
好的。
Okay.
它叫什么名字?
Is and and what's its name?
它的名字叫Lofty。
It's it's his name is Lofty.
哦,它喜欢吃什么?
Oh, and what does he like to eat?
她喜欢吃什么?
What does she like to eat?
它们喜欢吃什么?
What do they like to eat?
嗯,我想我需要更有创意一点。
I you know, I guess I need to be more creative.
大概是金盏花之类的。
Probably, like, buttercups.
你知道的,在教室里,我们很多人都会这么做。
You know, in a classroom, that can be a lot of us do that.
我们这些小学老师,尤其是会创建一个班级吉祥物。
We create a those of us in elementary, especially, create a class mascot.
有些人喜欢用一个词的图像,就是创造一个想象中的角色。
Some people like to do the one word image, you know, create an imaginary.
我们经常这么做,因为这是一个同源词,monstro。
We often do it with a because it's a cognate, monstro.
所以有一个想象中的教室怪物,它会帮我们忙,或者在我们找不到东西时偷走东西。
So there's an imaginary classroom monster that helps us out or steals things when we can't find things.
但通过提问,我们会决定这个角色长什么样?
But just asking questions, we decide what does this character look like?
他们是谁?
Who are they?
他们吃什么?
What do they eat?
他们喜欢什么?
What do they like?
就像你对孩子们做的那样,多提问。
Just like you do with kids, ask questions.
卡罗尔·戈达德多年前说过,这就像是你开车送孩子从棒球训练或足球训练回家时的情景。
Carol Goddard said years ago, it's like when you're driving your kid home from baseball practice or soccer practice or something.
有时候你需要送孩子的朋友回家,无论是参加过夜派对、训练还是其他学校活动,而你对那个孩子并不太了解。
Sometimes you have to drive your child's friend home from a sleepover or a practice or whatever school event, and you don't know that child that well.
你知道他们的名字,稍微了解一点他们的情况,但你得在车里找话题闲聊。
You know their name, you know a little bit about them, but you're having to make small talk in the car.
那么你会怎么做呢?
So what do you do?
你会问很多问题,认真听他们的回答,并在此基础上继续延伸。
You ask a lot of questions, and you listen to their answers, and you build off of.
这正是凯伦之前提到的,沟通就是学习我们不知道的事情。
It's what Karen was saying earlier, communication is learning things we don't know.
就是去了解一个人,建立关系。
It's getting to know someone, building a relationship.
我们该如何做到这一点?
How do we do that?
我们问很多问题。
We ask a lot of questions.
是的,完全正确。
Yes, absolutely.
我认为这绝对是一项技能。
I think that is definitely a skill.
现在,凯伦,你能帮我们一下吗?让我们思考一下一位要去一级班级的老师的情景。
Now, Karen, can you help us a little bit and let's think about the scenario of a teacher that is gonna go to the class of level one.
你说,我听了杰森和凯伦还有这个播客,我需要多问一些问题。
And you say, I listened to Jason and Karen and this podcast, and I need to ask more questions.
但当然,对吧?
But of course, right?
毕竟这是初级水平。
Like it's level one.
那么,语言在哪里呢?
So where is the language there?
然后我觉得,是的,听起来非常正确。
And then I think, yes, it sounds like very right.
就像,是的,当然。
Like, yes, of course.
怎么做?
How?
比如,如果你要告诉一位刚开始进行基于位置教学的老师,说:好吧,我需要提问。
Like, if you would be to tell a teacher that is starting to do a position based instruction and say, okay, I need to ask the question.
你会建议这些老师首先做什么,以便他们能够提出问题,并在整个学年中持续这样做?
What would be the first things that you would suggest for these teachers to start doing so this teacher can ask the question and can sustain that throughout the days of the year?
是的。
Yeah.
所以,提出选择性问题和是非问题是基础。
So asking either or questions and yes, no questions is the basis.
这就是你开始的方式。
So that's how you start.
我实际上和一位老师合作写了一篇研究论文。
So I actually did a research paper with a teacher.
这个想法完全是她的,安吉拉·加德纳,我们比较了‘二选一’问题和普通的开放式问题。
It was it was all her idea, Angela Gardner, and we compared either or questions to normal open ended questions.
所以,一组学生得到的问题是:你的小马喜欢吃什么?
So, you know, one group got, what does your pony like to eat?
另一组学生得到的问题是:你的小马喜欢吃什么——金盏花还是三叶草?
And the other group got, does your pony like to eat buttercups or clover?
如果你使用‘二选一’版本,你就有了很多机会以非常简单的方式重复内容,这对初学者来说会特别有趣。
So if you do the either or version of that, you now have all kinds of opportunities to say it again in a very easy way that's gonna be super engaging for beginning learners.
所以,你的小马喜欢吃什么——金盏花还是三叶草?
So, you know, does the pony like to eat buttercups or clover?
没错。
That's right.
它喜欢吃什么三叶草。
She likes to eat clover.
她不喜欢吃金盏花,但她非常喜欢吃三叶草。
She doesn't like to eat buttercups, but she really likes to eat clover.
你知道的。
You know?
这里面有很多重复和复述,内容很有趣,而且是真实的交流,因为你正在与全班建立信息。
There's there's a bunch of recycling and saying the same thing, and it's interesting, and it's it's real communication because you're establishing the information with the class.
所以 Definitely either or questions。
So definitely either or questions.
Definitely yes, no questions,因为这样学生可以用他们已知的非常基础的语言保持在目标语言中。
Definitely yes, no questions because then the students can stay in the target language with what they know, which is very basic.
你会慢慢引导到那些 WH 疑问句。
You kinda build up to those those, WH questions.
但在你做这一切的时候,我想说,既然克劳迪娅提到了那三项技能,我们就说这项技能是提出有目的的重复性问题。
But while you're doing all that, so I guess, you know, since Claudia advertised, the three skills, we'll say that that skill was ask purposeful repetitive questions.
所以这对教师来说是一项关键技能。
So that is a key skill, for teachers.
在你做这一切的时候,你需要确保所有内容都能被理解。
And while you're doing all that, you need to make it all comprehensible.
所以你不能一上来就用,你知道的,开放式问题。
So you can't start in with, you know, eve even an open ended question.
即使你走进教室,说:‘大家好,同学们。’
Even if if you walk in and be like, hello, class.
今天星期几?
What day is it?
你知道,这对一级水平的学生第一天来说太多了。
You know, that's too much on the first day of level one.
所以,你需要从大量的非语言交流开始。
So, you need to start out with a lot of nonverbal communication.
多用指认、表情、手势和视觉辅助。
So lots of pointing, you know, faces, gesturing, visuals.
比如你画的图、教室里的视觉材料,以及你从网上找到的照片。
So visuals that you draw, visuals that you have in your classroom, visuals that are photos that you find online.
所有这些都能极大地帮助理解。
All of that can support comprehension so much.
而且你还要限制词汇量。
And you also are going to be sheltering vocabulary.
所以,你知道,你可能知道好几个表示‘有’的词,比如我不确定。
So, you know, you might know several different words for there are some things like, I don't know,
跳
jump
这些词在西班牙语和不同方言中各有不同。
that have different words in Spanish and different dialects.
你会选一个表示‘跳’的词并一直使用它,然后通过跳跃的动作来演示这个词。
You're gonna pick one word for jump and stick with it and then illustrate that by jumping.
所以你不会使用各种各样的词。
So you're not gonna be saying all kinds of words.
你会逐渐建立一个词汇量有限的课堂用语体系,用来进行交流。
You're gonna sort of create a class vocabulary with a limited number of words that you can use to communicate.
所以所有这些都属于让输入可理解的范畴,尽管我们还能说很多关于如何让输入更易理解的内容。
So all that goes under, although there's there's a lot more we can say about making input comprehensible.
我喜欢你把整个内容都圈起来,因为我和杰森都提到了这一点。
I love how you, like, circled the whole thing because I and and, Jason, you mentioned it.
你说,想想你跟那个小孩子说话的样子。
You said, think about talking to that little kid.
即使我是母语者,也觉得这真的非常困难。
And I think that even I'm a native speaker, and it was really, really hard.
但当我突然意识到:我当孩子六个月大时,是这样跟他们说话的吗?
But the moment that I click to me, like, did I talk to my kids when they were six months?
我肯定没有用完整的句子、丰富的词汇跟他们说话。
I'm for sure didn't talk to them in complete sentences in all, with all the vocab.
我当时说得非常具体,对吧?
I was very concrete, right?
为什么说要具体呢?
Why concrete?
因为你能展示出来,对吧?
Because you can show it, right?
比如,我不想说:卢卡斯,你想喝牛奶还是想喝橙汁?
Like, so you, I didn't want to say, so Lucas, would you like to drink some milk or you would like to drink some orange juice?
因为他根本不懂。
Because he wouldn't know.
牛奶?
Milk?
橙汁?
Said Orange juice?
牛奶?
I Milk?
果汁?
Juice?
想喝牛奶吗?
Wanna drink milk?
你想喝点什么吗?
Do you wanna drink?
或者你逐渐过渡到。
Or and you build up to.
父母会自然地引导,比如,这就是凯伦所暗示的反馈循环——孩子说出‘牛奶’这个词。
A parent builds up naturally to, Oh, and this is that feedback loop that Karen was kind of alluding to where you get the utterance from the kid that says milk.
好的,你想喝牛奶。
Okay, you wanna drink milk.
我给你倒一杯牛奶。
I'll pour you a glass of milk.
我想我也想喝点牛奶。
I think I wanna drink some milk too.
我想我倒两杯吧。
I think I'll pour two.
父母会自然地这样做,但作为老师,我们需要练习这种技巧,还要努力掌握限制词汇量的能力,把词汇简化到孩子能理解的程度,然后再逐步扩展成更长的表达,因为他们需要这样的语言交流,但这很微妙。
A parent does it naturally, but as a teacher, we have to practice that, and then we have to work on that skill of limiting the vocabulary, limit it down to where it's comprehensible, and then build it back up into longer utterances because they need that discourse, but it's tricky.
你不能太快太急地推进。
You don't wanna go too far too fast.
所以凯伦之前提到过,我们之前讨论过,那匹小马的名字是什么?
So Karen said earlier, like we we talked about, what was the what was the pony's name?
洛菲。
Lofty.
洛菲。
Lofty.
洛菲。
Lofty.
洛菲?
Lofty?
洛菲。
Lofty.
如果我们发现洛菲喜欢吃三叶草,那会怎样?
And so if we find out that Lofty likes to eat clover or?
毛茛。
Buttercups.
毛茛。
Buttercups.
好的。
Okay.
那如果洛夫蒂喜欢吃毛茛的话,我们或许就可以顺着这个思路推进——我会好奇‘它为什么会吃这个’,然后和孩子、学生或者任何参与这个故事的人一起慢慢构建内容,整个过程是循序渐进的。
So Lofty likes to eat buttercups, then maybe we can go with a I wonder Why is she And we build up with the child or with the student in the story or whatever, but it's a very gradual process.
不过没错,一开始我们可以指着日历上的数字、指着对应的日期,或是用全身反应法(TPR)对着这个单词蹦蹦跳跳——首先我们要把这个单词拆解成基础含义帮助大家理解,之后再在此基础上拓展深化。
But yes, initially, maybe we're pointing at the number on the calendar or pointing at the day or jumping up and down TPR for the word, initially we're breaking that word down into the basic meaning for comprehension and then building up from there.
所以对的,我们不能一上来就说:‘我好奇为什么7月4日会是个节假日’。
So yeah, we don't want to just walk in and say, Well, I wonder why the fourth of July is a holiday.
这一切都是怎么回事啊?
What's all that about?
那都属于难度非常高的内容了。
That would be very high level content.
但如果我们打算谈论一个节日,也许可以看看日历并指出来。
But if we're going to talk about a holiday, maybe we go to the calendar and we point.
这样做比重复背诵数字序列要好得多。
It's much better to do that than to do a repeat after me of numbers in a sequence.
词汇列表中没有交流。
There's no communication in a list of vocabulary.
但如果我们可以说,在这些动物中,你最喜欢哪一个?
But if we can say, out of all of these animals, which one is your favorite?
或者今天是几号?
Or what day is today?
今天是节日吗?
Is today a holiday?
今天是个特别的日子吗?
Is it a special day?
现在我们用这些词组进行交流了。
Now we're communicating with those sets of words.
我认识很多老师,他们手头只有单词表可用。
I know a lot of teachers, they're just presented with vocabulary lists.
然后我们常常会想,那我们该怎么做呢?
And we often think, oh, what do we do?
那我们该怎么围绕某个特定主题开展交流呢?
Well, how can we communicate around a particular topic?
而且我觉得,要做到这一点往往得从提出一个问题开始。
And often that starts with asking a question, I think.
不过没错,我们必须让内容具备可理解性。
But yes, we've gotta keep it comprehensible.
我们得控制词汇量。
We've gotta limit vocabulary.
比如全身反应法、手势、实物教具这些都能用。
TPR, gestures, objects, realia.
这件事说起来简单,实际做起来却很复杂。
It's so simple and yet so complicated.
我认为,作为教师,最难的部分是我们面对那种不可预测的结果,对吧?
And I think that the hardest part for us as teachers is when we, that kind of like unpredictable outcome, right?
比如,我们想知道这个问题要问多少次?
Like we want to know how many times do I ask the question?
什么时候该从二选一的问题转向开放式问题?
When do I move from an either or to an open ended?
我要问这个问题多少次?
How many times do I ask the question?
我该怎么做,因为这是交流性的,我并不知道答案。
What do I and this, because it's communicative, I don't know the answer.
如果你在谈论独角兽,发现学生们对独角兽特别感兴趣,那么课堂上就会出现这种高度参与和各种回答。
If you are talking about the unicorn and you find your students that are loving the unicorn, then you're gonna have like this engagement in the class and all these answers.
这就是一个信号:继续提问,因为他们喜欢这个话题。
And that is your hint, keep asking questions because they like the topic.
但如果在4A班,你同样拿出独角兽,满怀热情,却发现学生完全无感,没有任何回应,这就是一个信号:好吧,看来我们得换话题了。
But then if the class 4A, you bring the same unicorn and you're so excited and it doesn't have any connection with the class and you don't get any answer that is your hint that, okay, I guess we're gonna have to move on.
而我觉得,正是这种难以预料的特性让这件事变得非常棘手,对我们这些习惯了PPP教学模式的老师来说挑战极大——你们懂的,就是那种‘呈现、练习、输出,接着再开启下一个单元的呈现、练习、输出’的固定流程。
And I think that part that it makes it so unpredictable is really scary, is really challenging for us as teachers that we used to have the PP model, you know, present, practice, production, next one, present, practice, production, next one.
这套旧模式曾经给我们提供了一层安全网,让我们感觉一切都能稳步推进、顺理成章。
It just gave us this kind of like safety net where we feel a little bit in the kind of, like, flowing.
对。
Yeah.
我觉得这也正是大家依赖教材的原因:教材里的内容都有明确的是非对错标准。
I mean, that's that's why people like textbooks is because it's right and wrong.
当你开始教学不再以 correctness(正确性)为目标时,就像你说的,你的教学方式和教学目标都会变得更灵活自由,也更模糊一些。
When you start teaching not for correctness, it is, as you said, a little bit more free flowing and a little bit nebulous, what what you're doing and what your goals are.
所以比起单纯使用教科书教学,你得多花心思思考这些方面。
So you sort of have to think more about those than you would if you were just using a textbook.
是的。
Yes.
完全没错。
Absolutely.
而且我想,当我们这样做时,是的,孙同学?
And and I think that while we're doing this yes, Son?
是的,你无法控制交流。
Yeah, you can't control communication.
这就像即兴表演。
It's like improv.
你不知道它会往哪个方向发展,你必须接受这种不确定性。
You don't know what direction it's gonna go in, and you have to be okay with that ambiguity.
你必须学会适应,意识到:哦,那条线索、那个方向没有成功。
You have to reach a comfort level in realizing, Oh, that thread, that direction didn't pan out.
我得换条路走。
I've got to go this way.
哦,这个,我得往这个方向走。
Oh, that, I've to go this way.
这是一种需要随着时间推移培养的技能。
And that's a skill set that you develop over time.
展开剩余字幕(还有 223 条)
但关键是愿意去思考沟通,人际沟通。
But just the willingness Think about communication, interpersonal communication.
有人在表达意义,而另一个人在倾听并解读这个意义。
Someone's expressing meaning, but someone else is listening to that meaning and interpreting it.
会有回应,这是来回互动的过程。
There's a response, It's going back and forth.
你必须保持开放的心态。
You've gotta be open.
你必须认真倾听。
You've gotta listen.
你不能用对待A班的同一套方式去对待B班,还指望结果会一样。
You can't just do the same script that you did with class A with class B and expect that it's gonna be the same.
那不是沟通。
That's not communication.
好的。
Okay.
那你觉得第一个技能会是什么?
So what do you think the first skill is gonna be?
去适应他们的班级?
Adjusting to their class?
还是说你之前多次提到的一点,凯伦,而且我觉得这点和刚才说的有关,就是创造并调整教学资源。
Or you have mentioned this, Karen, a lot, and I and I just and I think it's related to that, but it's creating and adjusting resources.
对。
Yeah.
没错,所有情况都和杰森说的一模一样。
So everything exactly like Jason said.
当你在和他人沟通时,这个过程本身是有机发展的。
When you're communicating, that communication is organic.
这个概念就好比,你的班级是一座会生长的花园,你没法提前预知它最终会长成什么样子;而不是像——我也说不好,就像拼乐高积木那样。
So it's the idea that, like, your classroom is a garden that grows, and you don't know exactly how it's gonna turn out versus, like, I don't know, a Lego structure.
只要把零件A、B、C按步骤拼起来,你得到的成品就会和包装上的图案完全一致。
Like, add a, b, and c, and you get exactly what's on the package.
所以,是的,一切都是量身定制的。
So, yeah, every everything is customized.
所以,你知道,你和你的学生之间会有只有你们才懂的笑话。
So, you know, you have your, inside jokes with your class.
你们有自己的社群。
You have your community.
你知道的。
You know?
你了解不同的人不同的事情。
You know different things about different people.
就像克劳迪娅说的,你必须不断调整教学材料。
And like Claudia said, you have to adapt materials all the time.
我其实不太喜欢被迫使用为目标文化设计的教材,因为你的班级本身就是一个文化。
And I'm actually not a huge fan of feeling obligated to use materials that are created by the target culture for the target culture because your class is a culture.
你的班级有自己的文化,班级里的交流是真实存在的。
Like, you have the culture of your class, and the communication that happens in your class is real.
所以你得为你的班级找到很多材料。
So you're gonna have to find a lot of things for your class.
你得确保这些材料符合他们的水平,因为你需要控制词汇量,这意味着你必须真正站在他们的水平上。
You're gonna have to make sure that it's at their level because you're sheltering that vocabulary, And that means really being at their level.
所以不要拿出《堂吉诃德》然后说,我们根据封面图片预测一下内容吧,而是要真正找到适合他们的简单材料。
So not pulling out Don Quixote and being like, let's predict what this is about based on the picture on the cover, but, like, actually finding something that's easy enough for them.
或者,现在很多老师都在使用ChatGPT。
Or, you know, now a lot of teachers are using ChatGPT.
比如,嘿。
Like, hey.
把这个文本简化一下。
Take this text and make it easier.
不行。
No.
再简化一下。
Now make it easier.
再简化一点,然后用这个材料给学生使用。
Make it even easier, and then using that one, with their students.
所以你不觉得吗
So Don't you find it
有些人一边追捧真实、真实、真实、真实的内容,这不是很讽刺吗?
a little ironic that some people in the on the bandwagon of authentic, authentic, authentic, authentic?
一切都必须是真实材料。
Everything's gotta be authentic resources.
顺便说一下,我很喜欢弗洛伦西亚·亨肖博士在她的YouTube‘解构教学法’系列中关于真实、什么不是真实、简化输入等内容的见解。
And by the way, I love what Florencia doctor Florencia Henshaw says in her unpacking pedagogy series on YouTube about authentic, what's not authentic, simplified input, etcetera.
去看看吧。
Check it out.
她用非常优美的方式表达了我多年来一直有的感受,但毫无疑问,我们本身就是真实的。
She says beautifully what I've felt for years, but absolutely we are authentic.
当我们与学生交流时,那就是真实的。
When we're communicating with our students, that's authentic.
正如比尔·范普拉滕所说,课堂是一个真实的交流环境。
As Bill Van Platten says, the classroom is an authentic context for communication.
当我了解我的学生——那些四年级的初学者时,这就是真实的。
When I'm learning who my kiddos are, my little fourth grade beginners, that is authentic.
我在学习。
I'm learning.
我认为,发现伊芙琳喜欢跳舞,或许更加真实。
I think it's maybe even more authentic to find out that Evelyn likes to dance.
我会说:嘿,我看到一段来自西班牙的视频,或者来自波多黎各的视频。
And I say, hey, I saw a video from Spain, or I saw a video from Puerto Rico.
我们一起来看看这段舞蹈。
Let's look at this dance.
这是一段来自西班牙的舞蹈视频。
Here's a video here's a dance from Spain.
这是一段来自波多黎各的舞蹈。
Here's a dance from Puerto Rico.
你喜欢这两个里的其中一个吗?
Do you like either of these?
就这样我和她聊了起来。
And that I'm talking to her.
我会在课堂这个真实场景里,结合她的个人情况引入相关文化和教学内容,而不是把外界的内容生硬强加给学生,也就是要为我们的学习者量身定制教学内容。
I'm bringing culture or bringing content based on who she is in that authentic context of the classroom rather than imposing something from outside, tailoring it to our learners.
所以我想再次呼应这个观点:我们进行的是真实的沟通,我们的教学状态是真实的,我们所使用的语言也是真实的。
So I want to echo that idea of the fact that it's authentic communication, that we're authentic, the language that we're using is authentic.
我只觉得很讽刺,这么多年来,感觉都有几十年了,我一直听到有人说:‘不行不行,我们不能用全身反应法(TPR),不能用教学式阅读故事法(TPRS),这些都不具真实性。’
And I just find it ironic that for years, it seems like decades now, I've listened to, Oh no, no, we can't do TPR, we can't do TPRS, it's not authentic.
结果现在我又听到这群人里的一些声音,或者说至少是听着很像的那群人在跟风说:‘那咱们用ChatGPT吧。’
And then I hear some of these same voices, or at least the chorus, they sound like similar voices, saying, But let's use ChatGPT.
这两种说法怎么能自相矛盾呢?
How do you have it both ways?
我实在搞不懂。
I don't get it.
我们不如回到确保语言可理解这一点上呢?
How about we just go back to making sure we're comprehensible?
我们提出大量问题以保持以学生为中心,这种意图、这种调整对我来说,就是非常以学生为中心的。
We're asking lots of questions to keep it student centered, and that intention, that adaptation for me is that it's it's very student centered.
它根据这些孩子的特点、他们的喜好、他们已知的词汇和短语进行量身定制,并在此基础上不断拓展。
It's tailored to who these kids are, what they like, the words they know, the phrases they know, building on that.
当然,我们也会尽可能地融入真实的歌曲、文化和话题,逐步叠加进去。
And of course, we're bringing in authentic songs and culture and topics as we can, layering that in.
但如果学生听不懂,坦白说,如果他们因为听不懂或内容与他们无关而不感兴趣,那就缺乏吸引力。
But if the students don't understand, and frankly, if they're not interested because they don't understand or it's not terribly relevant to them, then it's not compelling.
他们不会认同。
There's there's no buy in.
他们根本不会听。
They're they're not listening.
卡伦提到了这个词,或者说是这个概念。
Karen mentioned the word or or or the concept anyway.
我不记得那个词是什么了,但之前提到过幽默。
I don't know what the word was, but but humor earlier.
比如学生的幽默感和课堂的氛围。
Like, the sense of humor of the students and the feel of class.
是的。
Yeah.
比如内部笑话和文化。
Like inside jokes, culture
对。
Yeah.
那是你最早能了解到的事情之一。
Of That's one of the earliest things that you get to know.
那是了解学生的起点。
That's the beginning piece of getting to know your students.
所有这些都发生在目标语言中。
And all of that happens in the target language.
当我读到唐纳托和格利桑的《核心教学实践》一书时,简直太兴奋了。
And boy, was I thrilled when I read Donato and Glisan's book on core practices.
那是什么?
What is it?
语言教学的实践。
Enacting the Work of Language Instruction.
他们谈到了核心教学实践二。
And they talked about core practice two.
当然,核心教学实践一是目标语言。
Core practice number one, of course, which is target language.
这正是我们之前讨论的,第一项技能:保持可理解性,但始终使用目标语言。
It's what we were talking about earlier, that first skill of keep it comprehensible, but keep it in the language.
对吧?
Right?
核心教学实践二,他们写道,虽然在ACTFL和网络迷因中可能有不同的表述,但其核心是构建课堂话语共同体,通过语言交流了解你的学生。
And core practice number two, they they write is you'll see it listed in different ways with ACTFL and memes, but it's really about creating the classroom discourse community, getting to know who your students are through the communication in the language.
而其中很大一部分是幽默。
And a big part of that is humor.
是的。
Mhmm.
游戏。
Play.
就像父母与孩子那样,进行那种富有游戏性的交流。
That playful communication just like parents do with kids.
这其实关乎爱还是恐惧。
It's really love or fear.
我们要努力减少交流中的恐惧,拥抱爱,拥抱幽默。
It's trying to diminish the fear in the communication and embrace the love, embrace the humor.
我说的幽默,是指一种安全的方式,让我们在语言中玩耍,进行富有游戏性的交流。
When I say humor, I mean in a safe way for us to play in the language, playfully communicate.
我觉得这太棒了。
I think this is great.
让我们回到这三项技能。
So let's go back to the three skills.
所以我们需要坚持使用格利桑所强调的目标语言,这确实非常重要,但同时我们必须确保语言是可理解的,提问时要始终牢记这是交流。
So we need to keep it, I mean, we need to use the target language in Glisan, like that's something that is really important, but we need to keep it comprehensible, Asking a bunch of questions with keeping in mind that it's communication.
我们并不是随便问任何问题。
We're not like asking questions, any question.
提问必须是交流的一部分。
It has to be communication.
我们是在进行交流,通过提问来交流。
We're communicating, asking questions.
就像凯伦说的,我们不能忘记,并不是所有问题都需要完整的句子,对吧?
Like Karen said, we cannot forget that not all the questions require a complete sentence, right?
我们可以从肢体语言开始,从指认开始,从是非题开始,甚至多年以来都可以用二选一的问题。
Like we can start with body language, we can start with pointing, we can start with yes or no question, we can start for years with eitheror question.
我在AP课程中大量使用二选一的问题。
I use eitheror questions for my AP class, like huge.
每次我发现学生没能给出我预期的那种回应,我就会把问题换成二选一的题型,然后立马就能收到答案了。
Every time that I see that I don't get that kind of like response, I change it to an eitheror question and boom, I get the answers.
在这个基础上,我们就能像杰森说的那样,一步步搭建出对话逻辑了。
From that, we can build that discourse like Jason was saying.
然后我认为第三点要求我们灵活调整,要清楚地了解面前的学生是什么情况,真正去熟悉他们,这样我们不仅能调整提问的类型,还能匹配适合的主题和话题,贴合我的学生们感兴趣的内容。
And then I think that third question is really adjusting, is really being aware of who is in front of us and really get to know that who so we can adjust not only in the type of questions, but also in the themes, in the topics, in like what is interesting to my students.
我该怎么……我教的是IP课,我教IP课来着?
How can I make I teach IP, I teach IP?
那我要怎么做才能把原本枯燥无味的环境单元和这群特定的学生联系起来呢?毕竟教学得围绕学生展开,所以得做出调整,是吧?
So how can I make my environment unit that is so dry connecting with this specific group of students because that's who we are, so adjusting?
这话说起来,对,确实是这么个理。
And that sounds like, yes, sure.
但有时候真的会觉得,我的天,这也太难了,工作量太大了。
But sometimes it's like, oh my God, that's a lot.
那我们现在就来收尾这期节目,聊聊如果有老师听完我们的分享后说‘对,我也想开始做,那第一步该做什么?’的话,我们该怎么解答。
So let's just kind of like wrap up this episode and talk about if we have a teacher listening to us and said, yes, I want to start what?
那第一步该怎么做呢?
What would be the one step?
有没有什么切实可行的办法,能让这位老师开始培养这些能力?
What would be like something actionable that this teacher can start to building on these skills?
你觉得有没有哪件事,对你来说很重要,或是你观察到它能对老师开展这项练习产生非常显著的效果?
What would be one thing that was maybe for you was important, or you see that it has a really clear impact on on a teacher to start with this practice?
我会说先在你的课堂里加入闲聊环节就行,不管是聊聊日程安排,还是问问学生们周末都做了些什么都可以。
I would say just introducing a chat portion of your class, whether that's talking about the calendar or talking about the students, doing, like, what did you do on the weekend?
而且这件事也是可以灵活调整的。
And it can change up too.
因为哪怕你是全世界最按教材走的老师——就像我之前要教大学西班牙语第三学期的课程,这门课总共大概只有36个课时。
Because, like, even if you're the most textbook based teacher in the world, which I recently had to teach, like, a third semester university Spanish class, which I think has something like thirty six total contact hours.
我和这些学生这辈子也就只会见这36个小时了。
Like, I'm gonna see these students for thirty six hours ever.
于是我在每堂课的开头设计了一个环节,让学生们围绕一个和我们当时讲的语法点相关的问题闲聊,毕竟我带的只是这门课众多分班中的一个而已。
And, I introduced something at the beginning of class where I would just have the students chat about a question that had to do with with the grammar topic we were doing because, you know, I'm just one of many sections.
所以,举个例子来说,要是我们正在学虚拟语气,我就会先把一些句子投出来,给他们讲解每句话的意思,之后让他们围绕这些句子展开讨论。
So, anyway, if let's say we were doing the subjunctive, then I would actually put up some sentences and tell them what all the sentences meant and then have them talk about it.
然后就会抛出问题,比如‘你们觉得,哪件事更让你感到惊骇?’
So it'd be like, what do you think, you know, what are you more horrified at?
比如‘我更惊骇于全球的环境问题’,或是‘我更惊骇于民调显示咱们这个世界的政坛人物都如此腐败’。
I am more horrified at, you know, the environmental problems in the world, or I am more horrified at the the poll that the political people in our world are so corrupt.
你懂吧?
You know?
所以说,我只是把相关的表达教给他们,让他们能用上这些内容,而这其实也是一种可理解性输入——因为他们只需要看着屏幕上的内容使用就行,不用自己去纠结变位之类的问题。
So, like, I was just giving them the language so that they could use it, and that's actually input because they're just seeing it on the screen and using it and not having to, like, conjugate it or whatever.
所以无论你所处的教学环境如何,无论你得教多少语法知识,你都可以在课堂上加入交流环节:不管是专属人物采访、日历相关的聊天,还是直接抛出当天的话题,这些都能促成真实的沟通。而且你所讲的知识点能被反复提及,频率很高,最终学生就能完全理解这些内容。
So no matter your context, no matter how much grammar you have to teach, you can introduce a chat portion, whether it's special person interviews, calendar talk, or just, like, here's the topic of the day that can be real communication and, you know, get high frequency get get this the whatever your topic is repeated a lot, so that it becomes really comprehensible.
凯伦,我想发表一点看法,因为你周一开讲的时候提到过一件事。
Karen, I want to make a comment because you said something on Monday when you were doing your session.
你当时说,研究表明,学生的语言水平提升或进步,和学生对目标语的使用情况直接相关,但是
And you said that the research has shown that the the the success or the growth in proficiency for a student has a direct correlation, with student use of the target language, but
和教师的使用情况有关。那个……的
with teacher use So, of the
我知道我们都希望所有学生都能为之惊叹,发自内心地觉得‘哦,我也想说这种语言’。
I know we would like all, for all our students to be amazed, to be like, oh, I want to speak that.
但学生们在使用这门语言时肯定会有所顾虑,而这种顾虑是合情合理的。
But there is gonna be some apprehension, rightfully so, of using the language.
所以当你提到刚才那个交流环节,或是那些用到虚拟语气的句子时,即便我们的学生用英文回答,我也会赞同杰森之前说的那番话。
So when you're talking about that chat, or when you're talking about those sentences using the subjunctive, even if our students give us some responses in English, then I'm gonna go back to what Jason said.
你可以进行叙述,成为这些课堂表达或发言的讲述者,这样你就能维持这个交流环节主导者的身份,全程使用目标语——你不仅要用目标语提出问题,还可以借助翻译或其他任何必要手段确认语义,确保学生能理解问题。
You can narrate, you can become the narrator of those expressions or those contributions to the class, so you can keep that chat view as the leader of that chat in the target language, by not only asking the question in the target language and establishing meaning with like the translation or whatever you need to do to make sure that your students understand the question.
哪怕之后他们用自己的常用语言回答也没关系,你完全可以承接住这种情况。
But then even if they answer some type of their common language, that's okay because you can keep that.
我当时就觉得,这套方法对我们很多人来说都太让人松一口气了,大家都会反应过来‘好的,原来是这样’。
And I thought that that was such a great relief for many of us saying like, okay, Okay.
所以我再也不用在课堂上当目标语的‘纠察员’了,事实也确实如此。
So now I don't need to become the police officer of the target language in my class because it's really Yeah.
因为如果你在说话,你就是在使用目标语言。
Because if you're talking, you're using the target language.
你猜怎么着?
And guess what?
你之所以在这里,是因为你是那个使用目标语言的人。
You're there because you're the one that speaks the target language.
所以,让学生在第一周或第一个月就大量说话,这个想法是为什么呢?
So the idea of having students in their first week or month do a lot of talking is like, why?
为什么他们要这么做呢?
Like, why would they be doing that?
他们必须先学会,然后才能使用。
They have to learn before they can use it.
而这,就是有时候管理者和其他人所不理解的地方。
And that's that's what, you know, sometimes administrators and people like that don't get about.
他们会觉得,啊,就让他们做些小组活动吧。
They're like, ah, just have them do some group work.
嗯,你不用。
Well, you no.
不用。
No.
我们在这里是为了让他们习得语言,而他们是通过我来习得的。
We're here for them to acquire language, and they acquire it from me.
这就是为什么我是老师。
That's why I'm the teacher.
是的。
Yeah.
我非常喜欢这一点。
I love that.
这太棒了。
It was great.
所以引入这种对话非常重要。
So introducing that chat, huge.
每个人都能做到。
Everybody can do it.
就像掌握某些部分一样,哪怕只是虚拟语气之类的,也要让它易于理解,这样我们才能用这些语言特征进行某种交流。
And kinda like getting some part, even if it's the whatever subjunctive, make it comprehensible so we can engage in some type of communication using that, those features.
好的,杰森,你会对老师说些什么呢?
Okay, Jason, what would be something that you would say to a teacher?
比如说,好吧,我就是不想做这个。
Say like, okay, I'm just like not doing this.
我想开始。
I want to start.
告诉我一些对我来说可行的事情。
Tell me something that seems doable for me.
我要提出一个挑战,凯伦说得完全对。
I'm gonna put out a challenge, So Karen's absolutely right.
她了解研究,而且因为她本身就是实践者,所以她真正懂。
She knows the research and she knows it because she's also the practitioner that does it.
身为语言教师,也像是孩子的语言引导者,如果我自己都不坚持用目标语交流,那学生们永远都达不到能熟练运用的程度。
That I, as the language teacher, I'm the language parent, if I do not commit to target language communication, they never will get there.
把卡伦之前说的话再延伸一下——记得是周一的时候,我非常认同她提到的研究结论:如果老师坚持使用目标语,就能亲眼看到学生的语言能力逐步提升,这一点在研究中已经非常明确了。
And so to turn what she had said, think it was Monday, it was great to hear that in the research that's very clear that if the teacher uses the target language, we see the students building proficiency.
那我们再反过来想想,如果老师不这么做呢?而这恰恰就是目前的真实状况。
Well, let's think about if the teacher does not, because that's the reality of what's happening.
我不希望任何人觉得自己被苛责,好像必须得做到100%或者90%的目标语使用率才行。
I don't want anybody to feel judgment on any, like they've got to be 100% or 90%.
美国外语教学委员会(ACTFL)提出了90%以上的建议,但我也清楚实际情况是什么样的。之前有一项研究,真希望我能记得具体细节,但大概是说,如果我自评自己达到了90%,实际情况可能更接近80%。
ACTFL has a 90% plus recommendation, but I'm also familiar with the reality of there was a study out there, I wish I could remember the specifics, but it was something like, if I self report that I'm at 90%, the reality is I'm probably closer to 80%.
实际水平要更低一些。
It's lower.
所以无论你目前处于什么阶段,我会重复卡伦认可的那番话:没错,要多加入对话环节,设计更多交流活动,而我的挑战是逐步加码,每周、每月,甚至是每天,都把这个比例再提高一点。
So wherever you are, I'm going to say exactly what Karen agreed with her and say, yes, involve more chat, build in more communication, and then try to my challenge is ante it up, increase it a little more each week, each month, or maybe even each day.
这就是我提出的挑战。
And here's my challenge.
我之前听到凯伦说只有三十小时的教学时长时特别有共鸣,因为这就是我的真实处境。
I loved hearing that Karen only had thirty hours because that's my reality.
新的一学年里,我要在两所学校负责四百多名学生,而我分配给每位学生的教学时长是25小时,其中绝大多数学生的时长还不到每年25小时。
I have 400 plus kids this coming year at two schools, and I have 25, with most of them less than twenty five hours per year.
这只相当于一整天的西班牙语学习时长。
That is one day of Spanish.
但我的学生们都能听懂西班牙语。
But my kids understand Spanish.
他们会说西班牙语。
They speak Spanish.
为什么能做到呢?
Why?
因为我始终坚持用目标语言进行交流。
Because I commit to target language communication.
所以我想提出的挑战是:既然我能在每天24、25小时的相处里做到这一点,那你们也一样可以。
So my challenge is if I can do it with twenty four hours, twenty five hours, you can do it too.
让我们想办法启动它,或者提升它,不断推进,不断推进,不断推进。
Let's just let's find a way to get it started or or increase it and just keep bumping it up, bumping it up, bumping it up.
我的意思是,这要追溯到克雷尚时期。
I mean, this goes all the way back to Crashan.
学生无法习得目标语言有两个原因。
There's two times the students are not acquiring the target language.
要么老师不说,要么学生听不懂。
If the teacher's not speaking it or if the students aren't understanding.
是的。
Yeah.
完全正确。
Absolutely.
只要老师说,学生能听懂,他们就能习得。
Speak it and they understand it, then they are acquiring.
我至今还能听到我的西班牙语老师的声音在我脑海中回响。
And I I still hear my Spanish teacher's voice in my head.
她多年前去世了。
She passed away years ago.
我曾是自己葬礼上的抬棺人,但有时听到某些词语时,我仍能听到她的声音。
I was a pallbearer at my funeral, but I sometimes hear her voice with certain words.
这种语言的天赋来自父母。
And that is that gift of language that comes from parents.
它来自祖父母。
It comes from grandparents.
它来自老师。
It comes from a teacher.
我认为我如此热爱这个职业,是因为她经常在午餐时和我交谈,因为我是那个与众不同的孩子。
And I think I'm so passionate in the profession because she spoke to me most of the time at lunch because I was the kid that was different.
我是俄克拉荷马州乡村地区的一个同性恋孩子,在很多地方都感到不自在,但走进她的教室,我却能感到安全,她会和我聊我的三明治或我吃的东西。
I was the gay kid in rural Oklahoma that didn't feel comfortable in a lot of spaces, but I could go into her room and feel safe, and she'd chat with me about my sandwich or what I was eating.
但在课堂上,讲的都是语法,而我逐渐成了唯一会说这门语言的孩子。
But in class, it was grammar, and then I became known as the only kid that spoke the language.
后来当我读到《Crashin》这本书的时候,我心想,害,这不是理所当然的嘛。
And then when I read Crashin, I thought, well, duh.
我在午餐时间就积累到了语言输入。
I got input at lunch.
这就是为什么我对这份事业这么充满热忱的原因。
And so that's why I'm so passionate about this.
我们得扭转这个局面。
We gotta flip that.
就像凯伦说的那样,我们得把交流互动融入课堂里。
And like Karen said, we gotta put the chat in the class.
当我们体会到这一点后,就要倒逼自己多开展这类互动。
And once we feel it, then challenge ourselves to do more of it.
再安排更多阅读、更多围绕阅读的讨论,再引入多一些学术用语,诸如此类的。
Add more reading, more discussion about reading, a little more academic language, etcetera.
我完全认同这个观点,因为我觉得这能成为所有教师开展教学的出发点。
I absolutely love this because I think this is, it can be the springboard for any teacher.
真的,如果我们能从聊天开始,然后像杰森建议的那样,逐步提升难度。
Like really, if we can start with that chat and then like Jason challenges, let's level it up.
让我们提升我们作为教师所使用的语言量和目标语言,对吧?
Let's level up the amount of language, the target language that we as teachers, right?
因为我们正在使用这些语言,所以我们能掌控它们。
Like that we control because we are using it.
我们可以以一种对学生来说易于理解的方式使用它们。
We can use in a way that is comprehensible for the students.
然后我们知道,就像凯伦提到的,有很多方法,对吧?
And then we know, like Karen mentioned, so many things, right?
比如我们可以做手势、使用视觉辅助、画画、翻译,对吧?
Like we can gesture, we can visual, we can use visual, we can draw it, we can translate it, right?
我们可以做很多事情。
Like we can do so much.
我们可以
We can
任何事情。
Anything.
我们几乎可以做任何事情。
We can do almost anything.
任何事情。
Anything.
我们能
We can
用目标语言来做。
do it in the target language.
这太美了。
It's beautiful.
这确实很美。
It is beautiful.
我也同意杰森的看法。
And I I also agree with Jason.
我们已经在这么做了,因为我明白,哪怕我们随便在街上找个小孩,我们也能做到用目标语言交流。
We do it already because I know that if we go and find a little kid around the street, we can do it.
如果我们遇到一个不是我们学生、也不会说我们语言的人,我们也会尽全力把意思传达清楚。
If we find a person that is not our student, that doesn't speak our language, we will do the best to be comprehensible.
我妈妈就不会说英语。
My mom doesn't speak English.
她现在和我一起住在这儿。
She lives here with me.
我还见过她陪我妈去超市的时候有过这种情况。
And I've seen with her in supermarkets.
我还见过一个不是英语老师的人,成功让我妈理解了英语里的内容,你明白吗?
And I've seen somebody that is not an English teacher trying to make the English comprehensible to my mom with success, right?
比如他们拿起扁豆,写下数字,再指向价格。
Like they grab the lentils and then they write the number and they point at the price.
然后我妈就反应过来了:哦,原来那是价格。
And then my mom like, oh, okay, that's the price.
他们在交谈。
And they are talking.
所以我认为,正如杰森所说,我们只需要尽一切努力,任何方法都是有效的,只要能让内容易于理解。
So I think we just need to really, like Jason said, we can do anything and anything is valid to make it comprehensible.
我无法表达我对这场对话的感激之情。
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate about this conversation.
我学到了很多,非常多的东西。
I have learned so much, so many things.
我不认识你,但我需要大量的重复。
I don't know you, but I need a lot of repetition.
通过我自己的讲述,一切都变得更加清晰了。
And by me talking, it just makes everything so much more like, clear in my mind.
非常非常感谢你们两位带来如此精彩的对话。
So I appreciate you both so, so much for this amazing conversation.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。