本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
欢迎收听《哈佛商业评论》领导力系列。
Welcome to HBR on leadership.
本系列节目精选了全球顶尖商业与管理专家的案例研究和对话,旨在帮助您激发身边人的最大潜能。
These episodes include case studies and conversations with the world's top business and management experts, hand selected to help you unlock the best in those around you.
我是《哈佛商业评论》执行编辑艾莉森·比尔德。
I'm HBR executive editor, Alison Beard.
故事与叙事是企业世界诸多方面的核心。
Stories and storytelling are at the core of many aspects of the corporate world.
想想一个出色的品牌营销活动,或者在求职面试中如何成功推销自己。
Consider a great brand campaign or the ability to sell yourself in a job interview.
对于希望赢得对新战略和举措支持的管理者来说,这也是极其重要的技能。
It's also an extremely important skill for managers who want to win support for new strategies and initiatives.
在2023年这一期《哈佛商业评论》IdeaCast节目中,杰伊·巴尼教授解释了为何善于进行恰当叙事的领导者更能实现变革性转变。
In this HBR IdeaCast episode from 2023, professor Jay Barney explains why leaders who engage in the right kind of storytelling are more successful in achieving transformational change.
他还概述了最有效的策略,用以构建和传播能够促成真正文化变革的叙事。
He also outlines the tactics that work best for developing and circulating a narrative that prompts true cultural shifts.
欢迎收听哈佛商业评论的HBR IdeaCast。
Welcome to the HBR IdeaCast from Harvard Business Review.
我是库尔特·尼凯什。
I'm Kurt Nikesh.
许多优秀的企业都致力于转型自己的业务。
Many great companies set out to transform their businesses.
它们会制定新的战略。
They come up with new strategies.
它们进行重组,甚至改变行业,实现数字化。
They restructure, maybe even change industries, go digital.
但很多时候,这些深思熟虑的努力最终收效甚微。
But many times, those well thought out efforts end up falling flat.
为什么?
Why?
是公司文化。
The company culture.
如果它不符合新战略,你就完蛋了。
If it doesn't fit the new strategy, you're toast.
所以显而易见的做法是改变文化。
So the obvious thing to do is to change the culture.
对吧?
Right?
但我们知道,这真的很难。
Well, we know that's really hard.
这比CEO的影响力还要大。
It's bigger than a CEO.
这并不是HR文件上写下来的东西。
It's not about what is written down on paper in HR documents.
很难定义,更不用说改变了。
It's not easy to define, much less change.
但今天的嘉宾研究了那些成功调整文化以适应新战略的领导者。
But today's guest has studied leaders who were able to change their culture to fit a new strategy.
关键在于他们如何通过讲故事来强化这种转变,这些故事在他们的工作场所中广泛流传,因为文化很大程度上是由员工和管理者之间彼此以及对公司和公司所做事情的交谈方式所塑造的,也就是他们讲述的故事。
The takeaway is how they told stories to reinforce that shift, stories that circulated around their workplaces, because a lot of what creates a culture is the way that employees and managers talk to each other about each other and about the company and what it does, the stories they tell.
杰伊·巴尼将为我们进一步讲述。
Jay Barney is here to tell us more.
他是犹他大学埃克尔斯商学院的教授,也是我的母校。
He's a professor at the Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah, my alma mater.
他与马诺埃尔·阿莫林和卡洛斯·朱利奥合著了《文化变革的秘密:如何构建能转变组织的真实故事》一书。
He is a coauthor along with Manoel Amorim and Carlos Jullio of the book The Secret of Culture Change, How to Build Authentic Stories that Transform Your Organization.
他们还撰写了《哈佛商业评论》文章《创造改变公司文化的故事》。
They also wrote the HBR article, Create Stories that Change Your Company Culture.
杰伊,很高兴你来参加我们的节目。
Jay, glad to have you on the show.
我对此非常兴奋。
I'm very excited about it.
你采访了数十位首席执行官,包括那些文化变革失败和成功的人,听起来这不仅仅是运气或偶然的成功。
So you spoke to dozens of CEOs, some who failed at changing their culture, those who succeeded, and it sounds like it's more than just luck or random success.
是的
Yeah.
我不会否认这些事情中确实有一点运气和时机的因素。
I wouldn't discount that there is a little bit of luck and timing in these things.
总有一些运气成分在内。
There's always some that goes on.
但我们发现,我们所访谈的许多商业领袖都具备这种能力。
But we found there are many of the business leaders we talked to.
他们中的许多人是首席执行官。
Many of them were CEOs.
有些人则是工厂经理、部门总经理或大型办公室的经理。
Some were, like, plant managers or division general managers or office managers of large offices.
其中一些人具备一种反复重塑组织文化的模式,这表明这不仅仅是运气,而确实是一种技能。
Some of them have a pattern of being able to change organ their organizations' cultures that they repeat over time, which suggests that it's not just luck, that there's actually a a skill involved.
我们的任务就是试图理解这些使他们能够实现文化变革的技能组合。
And our task was to try to understand what those set of skills were that enabled them to make culture change happen.
这很有趣,因为你面对的是一个非常棘手的问题,却有一个非常简单的解决方案。
Well, it's really interesting because you have this very hard problem, and then you have a very simple solution.
是的。
Yes.
你想改变文化,于是说要创造故事,这听起来很简单。
You wanna change the culture, and you say create stories, which seems easy.
让我先举个例子。
Well, let me let me start with an example.
我的合著者在巴西电信公司Tell SP的经历,当时这家公司处于高度监管的环境中,正准备进入一个去监管的环境,同时面临全新的竞争对手和技术。
And, my co author's ex experience at Tell SP, which was a Brazilian telecom that was operating in a highly regulated environment, was about to move into a deregulated environment facing whole new competitors and whole new technologies at the same time.
而且所有这些变化都将同时发生。
Also, all that was gonna happen at once.
他们形成了非常、非常自上而下的文化,一种极具权威性的自上而下文化。
They had developed a very, very top down culture, aggressively top down culture.
以至于,举个例子,公司的文化价值观之一是:组织内没有人能和CEO同乘一部电梯,这听起来确实有点奇怪,我承认。
So much so, for example, that one of the cultural values was that no one in the organization could ride with the CEO in the same, elevator car, which is, like, sort of bizarre, I admit.
但无论如何,这恰恰象征着该组织已经变得多么等级森严,尽管它很成功。
But nevertheless, that was sort of the symbol of of just how top down that organization had become, but successful.
所以,是的,你正从一种在受监管垄断环境中合理的自上而下文化,转向另一种环境。
So, yeah, you're going from a top down culture, which makes sense in a world where, you know, you're you kinda have a regulated monopoly, essentially.
当然。
Sure.
这基本上就是实际情况。
That's basically what it was.
而你将进入一个仍然受监管但更具竞争性的市场,在那里,更快、更具创新性的公司可能会让你惨败。
And you're going to a much more still regulated but competitive market where, you know, faster, more innovative companies could eat your lunch.
对吧?
Right?
绝对如此。
Absolutely.
垄断者在更具竞争性的市场中能够存活下来,这根本不是板上钉钉的事。
Not a slam dunk at all that you would be the that the monopolist would be the the survivor in a much more competitive market.
是的。
Yeah.
那么,马诺埃尔做了什么?
So what did Manoel do?
首先,你必须改变你的战略。
Well, the first thing is just you have to change your strategy.
你不能只关注满足政府设定的目标。
You can't be just worrying about addressing government defined goals.
你必须转向一种重视客户服务、重视满足和超越客户电信需求的文化。
You basically have to go to a culture that values customer service and that values satisfying, delighting customers on their telecommunications needs.
他具体做的一件事是,采购了公司即将推出的一项新技术和新产品,那是一项新技术。
So the specific thing that he did, he bought a new technology, new product that the company was coming out with, and it and it was a new technology.
但它表现得并不好。
It didn't work very well.
于是,他拨打了客服热线,接通了一位兼职的客服人员。
And so, he called the helpline, where so he got on the line with a, you know, part time worker at the helpline.
顺便说一下,过去按照旧的文化,有两个客服热线,一个是给公司高管的,另一个是给其他所有人,也就是普通消费者的。
Now previously, by the way, consistent with the old culture, there had been two helplines, one for senior managers in the firm and one for everyone else, all well, consumers.
所以他做的第一件事就是取消了给高管的热线,说:嘿。
And so the first thing he did is he eliminated the one for senior managers and said, hey.
我们遇到了技术问题。
We got problems with technology.
我们必须使用其他人使用的那个客服热线。
We have to go to the helpline that everyone else has to go to.
于是他和这个年轻人进行了长达两小时的对话,但仍然没有取得成功。
So then he is in this two hour conversation with this young man, and they're still not not having success.
所以最后,在两小时后,他说:我想让你知道。
And so finally, after two hours, he says, I wanna let you know.
我是这家公司的首席执行官。
I'm the CEO of the company.
当然,对方根本不相信他,所以花了几分钟才让他相信。
And, of course, the the guy doesn't believe him, so it takes a few minutes to convince him.
然后发生了什么,埃马纽埃尔问:为了能解决我这个技术问题,你需要知道些什么?这个年轻人列出了14项内容。
And then what happens is, he asks Emmanuel asks, so what would you needed to know in order for you to be able to solve my technical problem with this And this this young man generates a list of 14 things.
我们需要这些,还有这些,到目前为止,你有多少信息是可以获取的?
This this this we need these this and how much how much of this information do you have access to at this point?
答案是只有两到三项。
And the answer was two or three things.
接下来事情变得有趣了。
And then it gets interesting.
然后埃马纽埃尔说:你愿意带着几位同事来参加我们下次的执行委员会会议吗?
And then then Manoel says, would you be willing with a couple of your colleagues to come to our next executive committee meeting?
这是公司里一个高级别的团队。
This is a senior group in the organization.
向他们解释这14项需求,以及我们需要做些什么来支持这项新的产品技术。
And explain what those 14 things are and what needs to be done in order for us to support this this new product technology.
记住,这是一个等级森严的组织。
Remember, this is deeply hierarchical organization.
就是这样。
It's just Right.
对。
Right.
是的。
Yeah.
这跳过了好几个层级。
This is skipping a few levels.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yes.
哦,只是几个而已。
Oh, just a few.
这个家伙根本不是TELUS B的员工。
It's this is this guy is not even an employee of TELUS B.
他是个外包员工。
He's an outsourced employee.
他是兼职的。
He's a part time.
结果发现他是个大学生。
He's it turns out he's a college student.
不管怎样,他和同事们来参加这次会议,说了一下我们需要做什么。
Anyway, he and his colleagues come to this meeting, sort of here's what we need to do.
这是我们要解决的问题。
Here's here's the problems.
这里有14件事。
Here are the 14 things.
马诺埃尔向他表达了感谢。
Manoel thanks him.
他们离开了房间。
They leave the room.
他转向那些人,说:好吧。
He turns to the the people and says, okay.
所以情况是这样的。
So here's the deal.
两周内,我们会制定出一个计划。
In two weeks, we're gonna have a plan.
我们会把计划规划好并准备就绪,以便收集支持这款产品所需的全部14项信息。
We're gonna have it planned and ready to execute that will help us collect all 14 bits of information we need to support this product.
在我们拥有这个计划之前,我们将暂停销售这款产品,因为一家以客户为导向的公司不会销售无法支持的产品。
Till we have that plan, we're gonna suspend the sales of this product because that's a customer oriented company doesn't sell a product they can't support.
然后你要向我们提交一个计划,说明我们如何获取所需的信息。
And and then then you're gonna present a plan for us about how we're gonna, get this this information that we need.
你不是要向我们提交这个计划。
You're not gonna present it to us.
你要向我们刚刚提到的呼叫中心的那些人提交这个计划。
You're gonna present it to these these people from the call center we just talked to.
所以你要向呼叫中心的员工汇报。
So you're gonna be reporting to the call center employees.
两周后,果然发生了。
And, two weeks later, sure enough, it happens.
他们准确地收集到了信息,产品最终取得了巨大成功。
They get the information right, and the product turns out to be very, very successful.
所以这全是好消息。
So it's all good news.
是的。
Yeah.
但从文化角度来看,这真正彻底改变了我们对组织文化、谁负责以及我们在公司中重视什么的思维方式。
But from a cultural point of view, it just literally is a a revolution in the way of thinking about organizational culture, about who's in charge, about what we value in this company.
它关乎重视客户和客户关系。
It's about valuing customers and customer relationships.
它不是关于等级制度、向老板低头或盲目服从老板的命令。
It's not about hierarchy and bowing to the boss and and doing whatever the boss has to say.
所以。
So.
明白了。
Gotcha.
现在,你刚刚把这个故事讲给了我——CRAIG:而且
Now, you have just told this story to me -CRAIG: and
但对我们观众来说,在这个故事里并没有发生任何叙事,对吧?
to our audience, but in that story, there was no storytelling happening, right?
-就像
-Like,
不,你说得对。
No, that's is right.
只是
Just
没错。
That's correct.
有行动发生。
There was action.
有事情被做了。
There was something that was done.
也许方式不同。
Maybe differently.
这是有效的,因为它是有策略的。
It was effective, because it was strategic.
但故事讲述的部分体现在哪里?
But where does the storytelling part of it come in?
在哪里
Where does
不。
the No.
这很有趣。
It's interesting.
是的
Yeah.
所以你所做的就是采取行动,而这些行动会创造出其他员工会分享的故事。
So what you do is you engage in actions, and the actions create stories that other employees share.
嗯哼。
Uh-huh.
随着时间推移,你可能会回来一遍又一遍地讲述这个故事。
Over time, you may come back and actually tell the story again and again.
所以这可能在之后发生。
So that may happen later on.
但当你最初在创造这个故事的过程中,你会付诸行动。
But when you're in the process of creating the story in the first place, you act.
你会做一些与旧文化不一致、但与某种新文化一致的事情。
You do things that are inconsistent with the old culture but are consistent with some new culture.
这是我们判断一个故事是否成功的标准之一。
That's one of our criteria for being a successful story.
它与过去决裂,同时指向未来。
It's got a break with the past with a path to the future.
这个例子正是这一类的典型,明确地与过去划清界限。
And this example is just a classic of this, a clear break with the past.
我们没有看到任何例子。
We saw no examples.
我们采访了大约60位来自多个行业、多家公司的商业领袖。
We interviewed 60 or so business leaders across multiple industries, multiple firms, etcetera.
我们没有看到任何例子,零个,文化成功变革是从宣布我们要改变文化开始的。
We saw no examples, zero, where culture successful culture change started with the announcement that we were gonna change our culture.
这不过是空谈。
It's it's just cheap talk.
这只不过是又一件无关紧要的事。
It's just like just another thing.
来了。
Here it comes.
CEO想改变企业文化。
CEO wants to change the culture.
好的。
Okay.
每个人都说,当然可以。
And everyone says, sure.
我们会改变企业文化,先生。
We'll we'll change the culture, sir.
但没人相信这是真正的承诺。
But no one believes that it's really a commitment.
没人相信,因为这只是空话。
No one because it's cheap talk.
轻易就能退缩。
It's easy to back off of it.
但行动比言语更难撤回、退让或反悔。
But action is much harder to to back down, back off of, walk back, than words.
是的。
Yeah.
所以,没错,你要先行动。
So, yeah, you act first.
故事随后才会出现。
The stories then follow.
但这些商业领袖并不会把故事写下来。
But these business leaders don't write down the stories.
他们也不会详细规划或做类似的事情。
They don't plan them out in detail or anything like that.
它们以一种真实的方式浮现,因为它们反映了他们对组织需要做什么的根深蒂固的信念。
They they they emerge in authentic way because it reflect their deeply held beliefs about what the organization needs to do.
然后这些故事开始被传播。
And then those stories start getting shared.
结果就是,支持新文化的这些新故事取代了支持旧文化的旧故事。
And what happens is those new stories that support a new culture replace the old stories that supported the old culture.
当这些故事在组织中逐渐传播开来时,我们就看到了文化的变革。
And then as that diffuses out the organization, that's how we see culture change.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,如果你想改变‘我们这里不是这样做事的’这种说法,就得用不同的方式去做,然后人们就会说‘我们这里就是这样做事的’。
I mean, if you wanna change the story of that's not how we do things around here, you do it differently, and then people say this is how you do things around here.
没错,正是这样。
That's that's exactly right.
所以,似乎非常重要的一点是,不要编造故事,而是要创造故事。
So it seems very important not to make up the story, but to make the story.
对。
Yeah.
这必须是我们最初的准则之一。
It's gotta be, one of the our first criteria.
我们研究了足够多的案例,因此能够真正描述出那些确实促进文化变革的故事,以及那些没有效果的故事。
We we what we did, we studied enough of these so we could actually describe stories that seem to to to actually facilitate cultural change and those that don't.
第一个标准是,这个故事必须符合讲述者本人的真实情况。
And the first criteria is that the story, has to be authentic to the person who's building the story.
例如,如果你作为一名企业领导者的价值观并不以客户为中心,却说我们要建立一个以客户为中心的文化,没人会相信你。
So for example, if your values as a as a business leader are not customer oriented and you say, we're gonna build a customer oriented culture, no one's gonna believe you.
员工能从很远的地方就嗅出虚伪的气息。
Employees can smell hypocrisy from miles away.
这第一个标准是,这些故事必须真正契合你的个人价值观,也契合你对组织所面临战略挑战的理解。
The first criteria for this is that these stories have to be really authentic both to your personal values and also to your understanding of the strategic challenges facing the organization.
你刚才提到了个人价值观。
Now, you mentioned personal values there.
比如,对于组织领导者来说,让第一人称参与进来有多重要?
Like, how important is it to bring, like, the first person into it for organizational leaders?
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
我们的第二个标准是,企业领导者必须亲自出演这个故事。
So our second criteria is they have to the business leader has to star in the story.
我知道在管理学和组织变革文献中,关于自上而下和自下而上有很多讨论。
I know there's a lot of discussion in the management, organizational change literature about top down versus bottom up.
我想再强调一次,我们没有看到任何成功的文化变革案例,零个,这些变革都不是从高层开始的。
And I I just wanna say again, we saw no examples, zero examples of successful culture change that did not start at the top.
这并不意味着这些领导者不与组织的其他成员互动。
That doesn't mean that that these leaders don't engage the rest of the organization.
他们显然会这样做。
They clearly do.
但变革必须从高层开始,并且当这种变革是真实的——当一位业务领导者以打破过去、为新文化指明方向的方式行事时,而这位领导者正是自己故事中的主角。
But it starts at the top, and it starts when that's authentic, when a business leader behaves in in ways that break with the past and give guidance to a new culture, and that individual stars in their story.
当然,其他人也会参与进来。
Now other people will be there.
所以马诺埃尔在LSP发起了这个故事,嗯。
So Manoel started the story Mhmm.
但在LSP,整个高管团队都在场。
At at LSP, but the whole executive team was there.
那些人创造了这些故事。
Those are the people who create the stories.
他们讲述这些故事。
They they they tell the stories.
如果你被要求在自己的故事中成为主角,不管你喜欢与否,作为组织领导者,你就是故事中的一个角色。
Now if you are supposed to feature yourself in your stories, you know, if you like like it or not, you know, as an organizational leader, you are a character in the story.
当然。
Absolutely.
这会不会显得自夸?
Can that come off like bragging
会的。
Sure.
这会损害你的努力吗?
That is going to hurt your efforts?
不会。
No.
这是个很好的问题。
That's a great question.
所以这里有个问题,就是我如何能在自己的故事中成为主角,同时保持谦逊和开放?
And so there's a there's a question of, you know, how can I star in my story and still be humble and open?
嗯,有几件事你需要明白。
Well, there's there's a couple things to realize this.
首先,你是一位商业领袖。
The first is you're a business leader.
人们会深入关注你的所作所为,无论你是否希望如此。
People are watching what you do in-depth, and they do that whether you want them to or not.
所以你已经自然而然地成为了故事的主角。
So you are already starting in the story.
关键在于,你打算构建怎样的故事?
It's the question is what story are you gonna build?
对吧?
Right?
第二点是,你必须明白,虽然文化变革的过程从顶层开始,但让这种变革在整个组织中扩散开来同样重要。
The second thing is you have to also understand while the culture change process starts at the top, it's important that they diffuse throughout the organization.
而实现这一点的方式,是业务领导者再讲几个故事。
And and the way that happens is a business leader builds a couple more stories.
只讲一个故事时,人们仍然持观望态度。
With one story, people are still cautious.
这到底是真的吗?
Is this real or not?
但如果你能做两到三件如此激进的事情,人们就开始明白其中的意义了。
But you do two or three of these kinds of really radical things, and people start getting the idea.
然后,组织中的其他人也开始感受到一种力量,意识到自己也可以创造属于自己的故事。
And then other people in the organization start feeling empowered by, the possibility, that they could build their own stories.
有时候,这种现象会发生在组织内的其他高级经理或业务领导者身上。
Sometimes that happens with other senior managers, business leaders in the organization.
顺便说一句,作为业务领导者,你是能够看到这一点的。
And you can by the way, as a business leader, you can see that.
你可以去找另一位业务领导者,说:听我说。
You can go to, another business leader and say, listen.
我想请你做一件事,讲一个与新文化一致的故事。
I'd like you to do something that builds a story that is consistent with the news culture.
我不能告诉你这个故事具体是什么,因为它必须对你而言是真实的,但我确实能感觉到这种变化正在发生。
Now I can't tell you what that story is because it has to be authentic to you, but I can I can sort of see that happen?
让我再给你一个非常棒的例子。
Let me give you another really, great example of this.
实际上,在犹他州有一家公司叫Traeger。
There's a company actually here in in Utah called Traeger.
你知道Traeger烤炉吗?
You know Traeger Grills?
我相信你一定知道。
I'm sure you do.
是的。
Mhmm.
负责特雷格公司的杰里米·安德雷斯曾是特雷格的投资者,他逐渐意识到特雷格有潜力颠覆一个实际上已经非常成熟的市场——户外烹饪市场,比如烧烤架和烟熏炉之类的产品。
The person who was running Traeger, Jeremy Andres, was an investor in Traeger for a while, became convinced that Traeger had the potential for disrupting what was an actually a very mature market, which is the outdoor cooking market, you know, barbecues and smokers and things.
但他所继承的组织文化却非常有毒。
But the organization that he sort of inherited had a really toxic culture.
他基本上关闭了原来的公司运营地点,并将公司迁到了犹他州。
He basically closed up, the organization where it was and, moved it here to Utah.
他从零开始建立了一种全新的企业文化。
Basically, built a new culture from scratch.
他所强调的这种新文化中的一个关键价值观,他通过自己的行为来示范,并围绕它构建故事,那就是客户服务——客户服务没有上限。
And one of the critical values of this new culture that he talked about, he tried to show in his own behavior, build stories around, had to do with customer service, sort of, there was no limit on customer service.
他周一来上班时,销售副总裁进来对他说:你听说罗布周末做了什么吗?
He comes in working on Monday, and his, sales VP comes in and says, did you hear what Rob did over the weekend?
罗布是谁?
Who's Rob?
罗布是个一线员工。
Well, Rob's this first line employee.
他有一些职责,但那时他还不是高级经理。
He has some responsibilities, but he's not a senior manager then.
他只是一个在办公室努力工作、做自己事情的普通员工。
He's just a he's just a guy in the office working hard, doing his thing.
显然,罗布接到了一位特雷格客户的电话,这位客户住在西雅图。
And apparently, Rob somehow got a phone call from a customer, a Traeger customer in Seattle.
他的特雷格烤炉坏了。
His Traeger grill is not working.
这位客户是西雅图地区一家好市多的销售经理。
Now this customer was a manager, a sales manager at one of a Costco up in in the Seattle area.
好市多当然是特雷格的重要客户。
And Costco, of course, is an important customer for Traeger.
于是罗布听完电话后,诊断出问题,去办公室取了所需零件,登上飞机飞往西雅图,换上零件修好了设备,帮那位顾客腌制了牛胸肉,然后搭飞机返回。
So this Rob listens to the phone call and diagnoses the problem, goes to the office, picks up the part that's needed, gets on an airplane, flies to Seattle, fixes the part, fixes the machine with the part, helps the guy, season his brisket, okay, gets back on the airplane, flies home.
他周一早上照常来上班,觉得这根本没什么大不了的。
And he comes in to work on Monday morning, and it's no big deal.
就好像他只是坐在电脑前做自己的工作。
It's like he's just sitting at his computer doing his work.
当然,那位 Costco 的销售经理把特瑞格公司、罗布所做的事情告诉了他的老板,也就是那家 Costco 商店的经理。
Well, of course, the the sales manager at that Costco tells his boss who is the the the Costco the store manager what Traeger did, what Rob did.
然后这位经理又打电话给 Costco 总部的首席采购官,后者又联系了特瑞格的销售副总裁,最后销售副总裁告诉了特瑞格的首席执行官:你知道你们的员工做了什么吗?
And that guy then calls the head merchant at Costco corporate who then calls the VP of sales at Traeger who then tells the CEO of Traeger, did you know what your guy did?
这太棒了。
This is awesome.
这是一种难以置信的高水平服务。
This is an unbelievable level of quality of service.
杰里米·安德森的回应是:是的。
And Jeremy Anderson's response was, yes.
这种文化正在形成。
The culture is happening.
这是一个自己创造故事的人。
This is a guy who is building his own stories on his own.
对许多公司来说,文化就是他们所处的状态,以及人们如何协同工作。
For many companies, culture is, you know, where they are, how people work together.
如果你谈论的是在茶水间流传的故事,人们彼此传递这些故事,我不禁想,在后疫情时代,更多人远程办公、在家工作的情况下,
And if you're talking about stories circulating at the at the water cooler and people passing these stories on, I wonder in a post COVID world and where there's much more working remotely, working from home Yeah.
更多虚拟工作方式,会如何影响这些故事的效果及其传播范围。
Much more virtual work, how that affects the efficacy of these stories and just the distribution of these stories.
我最近刚参加完一家知名咨询公司管理层的一次会议。
So I I recently came from a meeting with a with a group of managers at a well known consulting firm.
我只是在倾听,听那些首席执行官和其他高级经理谈论他们面临的挑战。
And I was just listening, and I was listening to the CEOs and other senior managers talk about the challenges they're facing.
我离开时心想,这些人所说的其实是:我们的组织文化已经支离破碎。
And I came away saying, what these people were saying was was our organizational cultures are in tatters.
它们已经支离破碎。
They are in tatters.
它们正在瓦解。
They're falling apart.
我们有充分的理由,我不是在反对疫情期间在家工作。
We have for good reasons, I'm not saying I'm not, arguing against going home during COVID.
显然,那是必须的。
Obviously, that was a requirement.
但这非常困难。
But it's very difficult.
当所有人都在家工作时,有两件事特别困难。
Two things are very difficult where everyone's working from home.
第一件事是,很难创造新的故事,因为新的故事是在一群人面对真正考验他们旧有价值观的情境时产生的。
The first thing is it's very hard to build new stories because new stories are created when groups of individuals confront situations that actually test their old values.
因此,很难创造新的故事,也很难传播这些故事。
And so it's very hard to build new stories, and it's very hard to communicate those stories.
Zoom 和相关技术仍然是一个不错的媒介。
And Zoom and related technologies is still a cool medium.
我们无法读懂肢体语言。
We we can't read the body language.
我们在大型会议中看到的画面只有两英寸见方。
The picture we see is two inches square in a in a large meeting.
我们不了解当时的背景情况。
We don't know the context.
人们因为无法读懂肢体语言而互相打断对方。
People are interrupting each other because they can't read the body language.
然后他们还会上线又掉线,狗还跑来跑去。
And and then they're dropping off and coming on and and the dog's running through.
我的意思是,所有这些因素都让事情变得困难。
I mean, all these things make it difficult.
所以这使得视频会议成为一个很特别的媒介,难以传达讲述这些深刻故事时必须伴随的真实情感和情绪。
So it makes it a cool medium, makes it difficult to to get the really emotion and affect that has to be associated with with telling these stories that are really profound in many ways.
是的。
Yeah.
因此,基于这两点,我认为现在很多公司都在召员工返岗,说该重新聚在一起了,但人们对此有所抵触。
And so between those two things, I think a lot of firms now are calling people back in saying it's time to get back together and there's resistance to do that.
但其中一个考虑如何将他们召回的原因,是为了重建那些支离破碎的文化。
But one of one of the reasons to to think about how to bring them in is to recreate these culture the cultures that are in tatters.
你刚才谈到了情感,对吧,它在视频会议中无法传达。
Now you talked about the affect, right, not coming across in Yeah.
比如视频会议就是这样。
You know, video conference calls, for instance.
你的研究中提出的一项建议是,组织领导者需要具有表演性。
One of the recommendations that came from your research is that organizational leaders need to be theatrical.
你所说的‘表演性’是什么意思?
What what what do you mean by that?
是的。
Yeah.
这不是很惊人吗?
It's amazing, isn't it?
我觉得你刚才说得比我原本想表达的要更强烈一些。
I I think you've said it a little too little stronger than I would say.
结果发现,许多关于文化变革的故事都带有很强的戏剧性元素。
It turns out that many of the culture change stories that were created had a very theatrical element to them.
我会这么说。
That's how I would say it.
并不是所有的故事都如此。
Not all of them.
那么,什么是戏剧呢?
And what is theater?
这变化很大。
It varies a lot.
但让我给你举一个非常简短的例子。
But let me give you a really short example of one.
这是书中我最喜欢的故事之一。
This is one of my very favorite stories in the book.
这是我的朋友杰夫·罗迪克几年前担任Hyperion公司CEO时发生的事。
This is, by a friend of mine named Jeff Rodec, who was the CEO of Hyperion, a few years ago.
当时公司业绩一直不错,但市场却出现了大幅下滑。
This is during a time when the company had been doing fairly well, and there was a big downturn in the market.
他与一家咨询公司合作,制定了新的战略。
And, he develops the new strategy in, in consult with a consulting firm.
他们制定了一套新战略,并计划召开一次高层管理团队会议,讨论该战略及其影响,其中一项重大举措将是大规模裁员。
They put together a new strategy, and they're gonna have a big meeting with among the top management team to sort of talk about the strategy and its implications, one of which is, gonna be a pretty significant layoff.
他们正准备召开这次会议,结果发现他们的规划人员早已预订了旧金山一家非常豪华的酒店作为会议场地。
So they're getting ready to do that meeting, and it turns out that they had already, their planning people had already booked a a meeting room at a very, very fancy hotel in San Francisco.
杰夫说,我们绝不能在那家酒店召开会议,来决定裁掉公司很大一部分员工。
And and Jeff says, we cannot have a meeting to decide to lay off a very large percentage of our employees at that hotel.
是的。
Yeah.
这完全不合适。
It's just it's just not right.
他的助理说,对。
And his assistant says, yeah.
我们已经付了酒店的费用。
We we've already paid for the hotel.
于是他说,我们要换地方开会。
So he says, we're gonna change the meeting.
于是所有人都来参加会议,他们走进餐厅,一切如你所料。
So everyone shows up to the meeting, they and they can come into the dining room, and it's exactly what you'd expect.
桌上全是精美的瓷器和高脚杯。
It's all fancy china and stemware.
然后他们坐下吃晚餐。
And and then they sit down for dinner.
第一道菜是面包和水,只有面包和水。
And the first, the first course is, rolls and water, bread and water.
第二道菜端上来,也还是面包和水。
And then the second course comes out, and it's also just bread and water.
第三道菜上来,依旧是面包和水。
And then the third course, it's just bread and water.
然后他站起来说:听着,我们不配在这里享用这么丰盛的晚餐。
And then he stands up and says, listen, we don't deserve to celebrate with a fancy dinner here.
我们只配吃面包和水。
We only deserve bread and water.
这太有戏剧性了。
That is so theatrical.
太棒了。
It's amazing.
没错。
Right.
然后他谈到了战略和成本。
And and talks about the strategy then and the cost.
最后他结束会议时说:我将把这个会议室预订到一年后,到时候我们再真正庆祝一下。
And it says ends the meeting by saying, I'm gonna schedule this room this meeting room for one year from now, and we're gonna have a real celebrate before dinner.
我们配得上庆祝,因为今晚,我们只配吃面包和水。
We're gonna deserve it because tonight, all we deserve is bread and water.
我保证,那个房间里没有人会忘记这段经历,正是因为它的戏剧性。
I guarantee there's not a person in that room who forgets that experience because of of the theatricality.
我们知道那句老话:得人心者得天下。
We know the old saying hearts and minds.
对。
Right.
你如何创造既能打动人心又能说服理智的故事?
How do you create stories that that appeal to both?
因为这些故事会一直被传颂下去。
Because the stories, you know, will go on being told.
当然。
Absolutely.
而且它们也会不断演变。
And they evolve too.
但我们先从理性入手。
But we'll start with the head.
我们通常说头和心,但你提到的是心与思想。
We had heads and hearts is how we use it in the in the language, but you're about hearts and minds thing.
这让人想起越南战争,所以我对此有点担心。
That harkens back to Vietnam, so I'm a little worried about that.
显出我的年纪了。
Show my age
有一点。
a little bit.
对。
Right.
对。
Right.
对。
Right.
不。
No.
展开剩余字幕(还有 142 条)
这确实带有军事色彩。
It does have that military connotation.
确实如此。
It does.
赢得人民的心与思想。
Get the hearts and minds of the people.
所以我们用的是头脑和心灵。
So we use heads and hearts.
头脑和心灵。
Heads and hearts.
好的。
Okay.
我们从头脑开始。
And we start with heads.
我们这样说的原因是,如果文化变革没有商业依据,那么就不应该进行文化变革。
And the reason we say that is that if there's not a business case for culture change, then you should not engage in culture change.
如果一位企业领导者在没有强有力商业理由的情况下推动文化变革,即没有意识到必须改变文化才能实施战略,那么这纯粹是自我膨胀。
If if a business leader engages in culture change because without a strong business case, without the notion that you need to change your culture to implement your strategy, then it's an ego trip.
所以,仔细想想你所说的话。
Then, you know, think think what you're saying.
我想改变文化,让每个人的价值观都跟我差不多。
I wanna change the culture so that everyone's values are kinda like my values.
认真的吗?
Seriously?
这简直是世界上最自我中心的想法。
That's the most egotistical thing imaginable.
这根本行不通。
That's not gonna work.
所以你必须从一个明确的商业理由开始,而且这个理由必须非常严谨。
So you have to start with a business case, and and it has to be very tight.
我们的旧战略是X,新战略是Y,而我们的文化必须为Y做出调整,否则我们不会成功。
And and it has to be our old strategy was x, our new strategy is y, and our culture needs a change to y or we're not gonna be successful.
而且经济效益必须具有说服力。
And the economics need to be compelling.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
然而,文化变革关乎改变人们在工作中的使命感、方向感、身份认同以及彼此互动的方式。
However, culture change is about changing people's sense of purpose at work, their direction, their sense of identity, how they interact with each other.
非常非常个人化的事情。
Very, very personal stuff.
文化变革之所以如此困难,原因之一在于它要求我们改变一些关于我们在工作中是谁以及如何相互协作的基本假设。
One reason culture change is so hard is because it requires us to change some some basic assumptions about who we are at work and how we work with each other.
这就像阻力增强版的变革。
It's like change resistance on steroids.
因此,我们也发现,许多这类故事还唤起了我们内心更美好的一面。
And so we've also seen that a lot of these stories that that were built also appeal to, what they can call the better angels of our nature.
他们超越了仅仅为了赚更多钱、把其他人赶走这样的想法。
They would they they went beyond just, yeah, we're here to make more money and drive these other people away.
虽然这部分是为了击败竞争对手。
Although that's part of it is to beat the competition.
我明白了。
I got it.
但更重要的是,在这个过程中,我们将满足客户的需求。
But it's also and and in doing so, we're going to satisfy our customers.
我们将比过去更让客户感到欣喜。
We're gonna delight our customers more than they they have been delighted in the past.
我们将为员工提供一种前所未有的体验,让他们参与到这个新业务的创造中,等等。
We're going to give our employees an experience that they've never had before of being involved in creating this new business and on and on.
所以,这些方面能打动人心。
So those kinds of things appeal to the heart.
但如果只是靠情感,我们从未见过任何成功的文化变革案例是仅仅基于‘让我们彼此更好相处’这种理念的,就像比尔和泰德那样。
If it's just heart, we didn't see any examples of successful culture change that was just about, let's just be better towards each other, sort of Bill and Ted.
让我们彼此更加出色。
Let's just be excellent towards each other.
是的
Yeah.
结果发现,这并不是一个令人信服的组织变革故事。
It turns out not to be a compelling organizational change story.
但如果你既有理性又有情感,那么你成功的可能性就很大。
But if you have head and heart, then there's a there's a good chance you'll be successful.
你需要做些什么来传播这些故事吗?
Is there anything you need to do to spread the stories?
这让我想到USAA,那家保险公司。
It makes me think of, USAA, the the insurance company.
当然。
Sure.
当然。
Sure.
他们有一个叫做‘使命时刻’的活动,在会议开始时,他们会停下来讲述一个客户的故事。
They have something that they do called mission moments where at the beginning of meetings, they will stop and talk about a customer.
当然。
Absolutely.
他们公司服务的是军人家庭,因此他们会谈论那个人的服役经历,有时还会分享他们如何解决这位客户需求的故事。
Their history with a company, this serves military family members, so they'll talk about that person's service, and then sometimes tell stories of solving that customer's needs.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道吗,这真是一个持续讲述故事并始终扎根于公司使命的好方法。
You know, talk about a great way to keep telling stories and then stay grounded in in what you do as a company.
没错。
That's right.
但对于以非正式方式讲述故事,你有什么建议吗?还是你只是让故事自然发展?
But what do you recommend for telling the stories in informal ways, or do you just let stories take on the life of their own?
不。
No.
我们会两者兼顾。
We we're gonna do both.
一开始,当一个故事被讲述时,它会像野火一样在组织中迅速传播。
In the in the beginning, when a story is told, they spread like wildfire through an organization.
我的意思是
I mean
是的
Yeah.
对
Yeah.
一天之内,公司里的每个人都知道发生了什么。
Within a day, everyone in the company knows what's going on.
有趣的是,那些理解我们需要改变文化以与战略保持一致的员工,会为这些故事感到自豪。
Interestingly enough, for those who understand why we need to change the culture to align with the strategy, these employees take pride in this these stories.
他们说,看看我们的首席执行官在做什么。
They said, look look what our CEO is doing.
这太棒了。
This is so cool.
他实际上正在带领我们的组织回归到过去那种运作方式。
He is actually taking our organization and and moving it in way it used to happen.
所以最初,我们的研究发现,有趣的是,不要过早地推行过于明确的沟通政策,因为这可能会显得有点自私,有点像在做营销。
So in the beginning, our findings suggest that, interesting enough, don't be too aggressive in the beginning about taking, having a more explicit communication policy because that can be a little self serving, a little marketing going on.
你知道的?
You know?
话虽如此,到了某个时候,你必须开始说:好吧。
That said, at some point, you have to start saying, okay.
通常,当组织中也开始出现其他具有文化变革性质的故事时,就是这个时候。
Usually, it's when some other stories are also being built in the organization that are also culture changing in nature.
你会开始寻找方法,通过正式渠道传播这些故事,比如在线杂志、聊天室之类的东西。
You start looking for ways to communicate those two formal channels, and that's you know, you have online magazines and and, chat rooms and those kinds of things.
如果能争取到媒体的参与,那就更好了。
It's great if you can get the, the press involved.
再次强调,这并不是要谈论你作为业务领导者,而是要谈论文化变革。
Again, that's not to talk about you as the business leader, but to talk about the culture change.
所以让它自然地慢慢传播开来。
So let it sort of diffuse on its own.
顺便说一下,不久之后,再讲另一个故事,以便为这个故事提供支持。
And then, by the way, shortly thereafter, build another story so that so she get that one backed up.
当你构建了两三个这样的故事后,随着时间推移继续不断讲述,其他人也会开始自发地讲述。
And after two or three of those stories that you've built, you continue to build them as well over time, then others will start building.
然后,你就可以转向更正式的沟通模式。
And then then you can go to a more formal communication model.
是的。
Yeah.
不过,以前的文化也是由很多故事构成的,所以你必须
Well, the previous culture was made up of lots of stories too, so you have to
没错。
correct.
所以你得先解构旧的那套故事。
So you're tell gonna have to you're gonna have to deconstruct the old one.
其实用那种语言是不对的。
It's not actually that's the wrong language.
这有点微妙,因为我们经常被问到一个问题:很多人加入公司是因为他们喜欢旧的文化。
It's kinda subtle because one question we're asked and it's a totally legitimate question is a lot of people join a company because they like the old culture.
他们是主动选择的,而且确实非常擅长那种文化。
They selected into it, they're actually really good at it.
而现在,你正在推行一种新的战略,这需要一种新的文化。
And now you're you're putting a new strategy in place that requires a new culture.
这难道不是诱饵与开关吗?
Isn't that bait and switch?
这难道不公平吗?
Isn't that unfair?
答案是,是的。
And the answer is, yeah.
确实如此。
It is.
一些长期以来对组织旧文化深感忠诚和投入的人,可能会感到被边缘化。
And some people who who have been deeply loyal and deeply committed to the organization's old culture can feel very much disenfranchised.
你知道为什么吗?
And you know why?
因为他们确实正在被边缘化。
Because they are being disenfranchised.
就是这样。
That's that's just it.
其中一些人可能是企业领导的好朋友。
And some of those can be a business leader's good friends.
他们可能在实际工作中非常能干。
They can be, functionally very competent.
但你知道,如果战略分析正确,我们必须改变策略,那么随之而来的就是必须改变文化。
But, you know, if the strategic analysis is correct that we have to change the strategy, then it follows that we have to change the culture.
如果做不到这一点,可能会带来严重的问题。
And a failure to do that is can be, deeply problematic.
所以作为企业领导者,我不希望失去这种专业能力。
So as a business leader, I don't wanna lose that functional expertise.
我不希望失去这种忠诚。
I don't wanna lose that loyalty.
我会去找这些人,努力把他们纳入进来。
I'm gonna go to those people and try to bring them into the fold.
但如果他们无法或不愿适应新的文化,可能不得不让他们离开。
But if they if they cannot or will not make the transition to the new culture, they may have to be let go.
如果他们做到了,你就讲述这些故事并加以庆祝
And if they do, you tell those stories and celebrate
他们。
them.
没错。
Exactly.
完全的成功。
Total win.
是的。
Yeah.
任何级别的领导者都能做到这一点吗?
Can leaders at any level do this?
所以,你知道,答案可能是肯定的,但根据我们的经验,我不打算超出数据范围过多。
So, you know, the answer is probably yes, but our experience, I mean, I'm I'm not gonna go I don't wanna go too far beyond the data.
我们的估计是,如果你有大约50人为你工作,无论你是否意识到,你都已形成了一种组织文化,因此你可以主动承担起改变这种文化的责任。
Our estimate is that if you have 50 or so people who are working for you, that you have an organizational culture whether you know it or not, and so you can take responsibility for changing that culture.
我们说大约50人,是因为到了这个规模,人们可能就分散了。
We 50 or so because at that point, people may be dispersed.
他们可能不会经常见面。
They may not see each other all the time.
而文化的作用就在于,当政策和流程没有说明该做什么时,它能填补这些空白。
And what happens is culture is is the control mechanism that fills in the blanks when policies and procedures don't talk about what needs to be done.
随着组织规模越来越大,文化的重要性就愈发凸显。
And as the organization gets larger and larger, then you start seeing, culture became more becoming more important.
你提到,随着时间推移,新的故事会逐渐取代旧的故事。
You mentioned over time, the new stories sort of replace the old stories.
你怎么知道什么时候才算完成?
How do you know when you're done?
你怎么知道文化已经发生了转变?
How do you know when the culture has been shifted?
从一个重要角度来看,你永远都不会真正完成,因为文化要么你主动投入维护,要么就会逐渐流失。
So in an important sense, you're not ever done because, cultures, you either invest in a culture or it drifts and dissipates.
人们可能会想,也许这种文化并没有那么重要。
People think, well, maybe this culture is not that important.
因此,你需要持续投入,用那些能构建并不断强化战略的故事来塑造文化。
So there is a sense in which you have to continually, invest in, stories that build your culture, that continue to reinforce the the the strategy.
此外,战略本身也会随着时间变化。
Besides that, strategies also change over time.
环境在变,所以你可能需要调整文化,稍微做一些优化。
Context shifts, so you may have to change your culture, fine tune it a little bit.
如果你开始一个文化链的过程,我见过这种情况,我不会点名具体公司,但很多年前,有一家公司联系过我,他们正在与一家非常创新的竞争对手竞争。
If you begin a culture chain process, and I've seen this, I won't name name companies, but many years ago, I was contacted by a firm that was competing against a very innovative competitor.
而这家公司在硅谷是出了名的。
And this particular firm was known this is the Silicon Valley.
它在整个硅谷都被视为规避风险的公司。
It was known throughout the Valley as being risk averse.
它的竞争对手在推出一项失败的新技术时,会将其视为学习的机会。
Its competitor, when they when they came up with a new technology that didn't work, they saw that as an opportunity to learn.
而这家公司,当产品失败时,却把它当作找出责任人并解雇他们的机会。
And this company, when the product didn't work, they treated it as an opportunity to find out who was responsible so they could fire them.
那你猜怎么着?
Well, guess what?
他们根本毫无创新性。
They weren't innovative at all.
于是他们来找我,说:‘我们希望你能帮助我们改变组织文化,从一开始就从‘我们有一个以风险为先的文化’开始。’我们做了一个六个月的研究,发现确实如此。
And so they came to me and said, we'd like you to help us change our organizational culture from being so it starts with, we did a six month study and we found out we have a risk first culture.
六个月。
Six months.
这就像和任何员工进行三分钟的对话。
This this is like a three minute conversation with any employee.
明白吗?
Okay?
这并不是一个很复杂的问题。
It's not a not a very complicated problem.
另外一点,我们从未见过任何成功的文化变革举措是始于对当前文化的调研。
Another side note, we saw no six zero successful culture change efforts that began with a study of the current culture.
一个都没有。
None.
这通常是回避文化变革的一种方式。
That's a that's a way of usually avoiding culture change.
但他们还是花了六个月时间做了这项研究。
But so, they did they did this study for six months.
他们说他们害怕风险,表示希望我们进来,帮他们摆脱旧文化,建立新文化,并且希望在六周内完成。
They said they were risk averse, they said, what we'd like to do is we'd like you to come in here and we'd like you to help us get rid of our old culture and build this new culture, and we'd like this done in six weeks.
我与这个机会保持了距离。
I, distanced myself from that opportunity.
这个想法根本就是错误的,因为文化变革是一个持续的过程,你需要不断创造新的故事。
The whole concept was was flawed because, culture change is an ongoing, process that you you continually build new stories.
而且,不只是你一个人在创造新故事。
And and it's not just you that builds the new stories.
整个组织的员工都会构建自己的故事,并持续强化和更新组织的文化。
Employees throughout the organization build their own stories, and they continue to, strengthen and rejuvenate the the culture of the organization.
这是犹他大学埃克尔斯商学院的杰伊·巴尼教授,与《哈佛商业评论创意播客》主持人库尔特·尼基什的对话。
That was Jay Barney, professor at the Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah, speaking with HBR IdeaCast host Kurt Nickish.
巴尼撰写了《文化变革的秘诀:如何构建改变组织的真实故事》一书,以及《哈佛商业评论》文章《创造改变公司文化的故事》。
Barney wrote the book The Secret of Culture Change, How to Build Authentic Stories that Transform Your Organization, as well as the HBR article, Create Stories that Change Your Company Culture.
《哈佛商业评论领导力》下周三将再次为您带来另一场精选自《哈佛商业评论》的对话。
HBR on Leadership will be back next Wednesday with another handpicked conversation from Harvard Business Review.
如果本集对您有帮助,请分享给您的朋友和同事,并在Apple Podcast、Spotify或您收听的平台关注本节目。
If this episode helped you, please share it with your friends and colleagues, and follow the show on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen.
同时,欢迎您为我们留下评价。
While you're there, consider leaving us a review.
当您准备继续收听更多播客、文章、案例研究、书籍和视频,内容来自全球顶尖的商业与管理专家时,请访问hbr.org获取全部资源。
When you're ready for more podcast articles, case studies, books, and videos with the world's top business and management experts, find it all at hbr.org.
本集由玛丽·杜制作。
This episode was produced by Mary Du.
《领导力》团队包括莫琳·霍赫、罗布、埃克尔斯商学院的艾瑞卡·特鲁克斯特、拉姆齐·卡巴兹、巴塞洛缪和妮可·史密斯。
On leadership's team includes Maureen Hoch, Rob Eccles School Erica Truckster, Ramsey Cabaz, and Bartholomew and Nicole Smith.
背景音乐由Coma Media提供。
Music is by Coma Media.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。