本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你好,欢迎来到这个关于我是如何建立这个实验室的咨询热线。
Hello, welcome to the advice line on how I built this lab.
我是盖伊·拉兹。
I'm Guy Raz.
这里是帮助你解决商业挑战的地方。
This is the place where we help try to solve your business challenges.
每周,我都会邀请一位传奇创始人,他们曾是节目的嘉宾,会帮助我一起为你提供帮助。
Each week, I'm joined by a legendary founder, a former guest on the show who will help me try to help you.
如果你正在创业并需要建议,请给我们打电话,你可能就是下一位节目嘉宾。
And if you're building something and you need advice, give us a call and you just might be the next guest on the show.
我们的号码是180431298。
Our number is 180431298.
请留下一段一分钟的留言,告诉我们你的业务以及你需要帮助的问题或疑问。
Leave us a one minute message that tells us about your business and the issues or questions that you'd like help with.
好的。
Alright.
我们开始吧。
Let's get to it.
今天加入我的是亨兰·洛佩兹,播客网络Wondery的联合创始人,该网络也发行本节目《我是如何打造的》。
Joining me today is Hernan Lopez, cofounder of the podcast network Wondery, which also distributes this show, How I Built This.
亨兰,欢迎再次回到节目。
Hernan, welcome back to the show.
非常感谢您再次邀请我。
Thank you so much for having me again.
我们第一次邀请您上节目是在2023年。
So we first had you on the show back in 2023.
而且,正如往常一样,如果您还没听过那一期,那是一个很棒的故事。
And as always, if you haven't heard that episode, it's a great story.
真的非常值得一看。
It's really worth checking out.
我们会把链接放在节目描述中。
We'll put a link to it in the episode description.
但基本上,故事是这样的:赫南曾是一名电视行业高管,2016年他受到一种叫播客的新事物启发,决定离职创办一家播客网络。
But, basically, the story is Hernan was a TV executive, and you left in 2016 inspired by this new thing called podcasting to start a podcast network.
你提出了这个构想。
You pitched it.
你在争取投资者支持时遇到了困难。
You struggled with with investors to to get them on board.
你几乎耗尽了资金,但后来推出了大热节目《肮脏的约翰》。
You almost ran out of cash, and then you had this really big hit in the show called Dirty John.
不久之后,Wondery 成为了收购方关注的目标,最终被亚马逊收购。
And soon after, Wondery became the target of of interest from acquirers and was eventually acquired by Amazon.
虽然你现在已经不再参与其中,但这确实是一个了不起的故事,讲述了你是如何将这个品牌打造成今天的模样。
And you're not part of it anymore, but that's I mean, it's an amazing story of how you built this this brand into what it is today.
谢谢。
Thank you.
从零到一亲眼见证它成长,并看到它成为亚马逊的一部分,这对我来说是人生中最值得珍惜的经历之一;之后,我还有机会为其他创始人提供指导,他们在我创办 Wondery 之后,也经历了各种类似挑战与机遇,这正是每个创业者都会面对的。
It was one of the most rewarding experiences my whole life to see it go from zero to one, to see it become part of Amazon, and then to have the opportunity to advise other founders that after I started Wondery, have had so many different versions of the challenges and opportunities that every founder has.
这就是我喜欢你节目的原因之一。
And this is one of the reasons why I love your show.
在它成为Wondery的一部分之前,我就是粉丝了,现在依然是铁杆粉丝。
I was a fan well before it became part of Wondery, I'm still a huge fan.
谢谢你,埃尔南。
Thank you, Hernan.
你知道,我们在节目中聊过这个,你遇到了一些挑战。
You know, we talked about this in the show, and you ran into some challenges.
你是怎么形容的呢?还有别的说法吗?
You were well, just how do I put it in in any other way?
你被美国政府起诉了。
You were indicted by the US government.
司法部对世界杯足球赛和电视转播权相关的贿赂行为展开了调查,而你当时是福克斯体育的高管,因此被牵连其中。
The justice department had an investigation into bribery around, you know, World Cup soccer and television rights, and you've been an executive at Fox Sports, and you were implicated in this.
这件事占用了你五六年的时间。
This took up five or six years of your life.
我不会详述这个故事的所有细节。
I'm I I won't go into all the details of the story.
你可以听到我们的对话,但基本上,你先是被定罪,然后无罪释放,接着又被定罪,最后再次无罪释放。
You can hear our conversation, but basically, you were first convicted and then acquitted and then convicted again and then acquitted.
然后到2025年,这些指控最终被撤销,你得到了平反。
And then the charges were eventually finally dropped in 2025, and you were vindicated.
你基本上被洗清了这长达六年的噩梦,那段不断证明自己无罪的艰难时光。
You were basically cleared of this, like, long six year nightmare of of trying to prove that you were not guilty.
你并没有参与这件事。
You were not involved in this.
现在感觉怎么样?
How does it feel now?
因为这件事刚刚在2025年发生。
Because it's just happened at the 2025.
终于卸下这个重担,你感觉如何?
How does it feel to have that weight off your shoulders?
能够向人们说出我从第一天起就一直在说的话,这在很多方面让我感觉非常好。对于那些了解我的人来说,这并不新鲜,因为所有认识我的人都明白,这是一起虚假指控,源于我前一家合资伙伴的所作所为——他本人为了自己的利益贿赂足球官员,当他被抓时,却 falsely将我牵连其中。
It feels great in many respects to be able to tell people what I've been saying from day one, not to the people who knew me, because everybody who knew me understood that this was a false accusation that stemmed from the actions of a former joint venture partner, who himself was the one paying off soccer officials for his own benefit, and when he got caught, he falsely implicated me.
但真正把法律纠纷抛在身后,能够讲述这个故事,确实让我感到如释重负。
But it does feel like a relief to Yeah.
真的能把这个法律案件彻底放下,然后自由地讲述我的经历。
Really have the legal case behind me and be able to tell the story.
但我告诉你,盖伊,通过这个过程,我学到的是:我以前和大多数人一样,总是很快下判断,轻易相信检察官总是对的,他们是好人,他们去追查某人,一定是有把握的。
But I'll tell you, Guy, what I learned through the process is that I used to be, like most people, very quick to judge and very quick to think that prosecutors always get it right that they're good guys, and when they go after someone, they must know.
是的。
Yeah.
我想我们很多人都有这种本能反应。
And I think a lot of us do, just our natural instinct.
没错。
Right.
但当你亲身经历之后,就会意识到,事实根本不是这样。
But when you went through it yourself, you realize that actually that's not right at all.
他们弄错了。
They they get it wrong.
他们理解错了。
They have it wrong.
他们确实理解错了,而且我也意识到,要让陪审团相信一件根本没发生过的事情是多么容易。
They they they have it wrong, and and and but I also realized how easy it is for them to convince a jury of something that really didn't happen.
但这些内容会留到另一期播客中再讲。
But that will be for another podcast episode.
赫尔南,你知道,很多人,就像我们之前讨论过的那样。
Hernan, you know, a lot of people, as you can we've talked about this before.
很多人会来找我,向我请教如何启动一个播客,而且人们对这个行业以及自己能取得多大成功有着各种不同的看法。
A lot of people will approach me and ask me for advice on on starting a podcast, and a lot of people have different views of what this industry is and how successful they can be.
而且很多人都在谈论播客带来的巨额收入。
And and and there's a lot of talk about all this money and podcasting.
但你知道,大多数人并不知道,实际上只有极少数播客创作者和节目是以播客作为主要收入来源的。
And and, you know, I don't think people most people don't realize is that it's a very small number of podcasters and shows that actually, you know, primarily do this for their their main as their main source of income.
你对播客怎么看?我的意思是,播客正在增长。
What's your take on I mean, podcasting is growing.
越来越多的人在收听播客。
More people are listening to it.
你如何看待这个行业在未来五年的发展趋势?
How do you sort of see this industry spinning out over the next five years?
我被问过这个问题,但我无法回答,因为人工智能这个变量还不明确,我不清楚它将如何影响这个行业。
I've been asked this question, and I can't answer it because I think the x factor's artificial intelligence is not clear to me what how that's going to affect this industry.
你的看法是什么?
What what what's your take?
我认为我们将看到一波由视频平台和流媒体驱动的新增长浪潮。
I think we're going to see a new wave of growth driven by the video players, the streamers.
奈飞刚刚推出了一组播客,Tubi 也是。
Netflix just launched a collection of podcasts, so did Tubi.
Hulu 最近也发布了相关声明。
Hulu made an announcement recently.
你会看到更多视频平台深入涉足播客领域,这将提升人们对播客的认知。
You're going to see more of the video players dig deeper into the podcast space, and that will create more awareness.
YouTube 最著名地成为播客视频消费的首要平台。
YouTube most famously has been the number one platform for video consumption of podcasts.
他们有一个数据指出,每月有七亿小时的观看时长流向视频播客。
They had a data point of 700,000,000 viewing hours per month going to video podcasts.
我不认为人工智能会对播客创作群体构成威胁。
I don't see AI as a threat to the podcast creating community.
我认为人工智能将被用作一种工具,帮助每个人产出更优质的内容、节省时间,并提升营销材料的质量。
Think AI will be used as a tool to help everybody produce better output, to save time, and to improve their marketing materials.
那些担心人工智能会带来大量低质量、廉价的替代品,取代真实声音的人,其实没有看到的是:如果这种环境真的出现,像盖·拉兹、史蒂夫·巴特利特这样的人所代表的连接价值,只会更高。
And ultimately, the people who are afraid that AI is going to create an influx of so many low quality and cheap alternatives to actual real voices, I think what they're not seeing is that in that environment, if that environment does happen, the value of our connection, the value of being a Guy Raz, the value of being Steve Bartlett, only goes up.
消费者会倾向于信任他们信赖的声音。
Consumers are going to gravitate towards the voices that they trust.
在这种环境下,信任比以往任何时候都更有价值。
And in this environment, trust is worth more than ever.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,我确实希望如此。
Well, I I certainly hope so for one.
赫尔南,你说呢?
Hernan, do you say?
我们先接第一个电话。
Let's take our first call.
好的,请说。
Yes, please.
好的。
Alright.
你好,来电者。
Hello, caller.
欢迎来到建议热线。
Welcome to the advice line.
你现在正在与Wondery的创始人赫尔南·洛佩兹通话。
You're on with Hernan Lopez, founder of Wondery.
告诉我们你的名字、你来自哪里,以及你的业务的一些基本情况。
Tell us your name, where you're calling from, and just a little bit about your business.
你好。
Hi there.
我叫希瑟·斯隆。
My name is Heather Sloan.
我是Heali Medical的联合创始人之一。
I'm one of the cofounders of Heali Medical.
Heali生产诸如肌内效贴布和含有天然成分的贴片,核心聚焦于镁。
Heali makes products like kinesiology tapes and patches infused with natural ingredients with a core focus around magnesium.
明白了。
Got it.
好的。
Okay.
海瑟,欢迎来到节目。
Heather, welcome to the show.
谢谢你的来电。
Thanks for calling.
好的。
Okay.
所以请你解释一下。
So just explain.
这些胶带你们是怎么使用的?
These are tape that you would use how?
也就是说,这种胶带是用于什么的?
Like, this is tape for what?
肌效贴。
Kinesiology tape.
所以你会用它来提供支撑。
So you'll use it for support.
这是一种弹性绷带,可以缠绕在关节上,让你在走路、进行体育运动,甚至只是恢复和休息时,都能保持完整的活动范围。
It's an elastic bandage that can wrap around your joints and allow you to go through a full range of motion while you're walking, doing athletics, or even just recovering and resting.
用于缓解疼痛。
For, like, pain relief.
我以前从未戴过这个。
And I've never worn this before.
我的意思是,我会锻炼,也会跑步。
And, I mean, I exercise, and I run.
我做这些事情,但从未使用过运动绷带。
I do all these things, but I've never used sports.
如果我看到有人用它,比如有人会把它贴在膝盖上之类的。
If I see people using it, Somebody might put it on their, you know, on their knee or something.
它有什么作用?
What does it do?
传统的运动贴布旨在支持关节,同时让你在自然的活动范围和运动中保持灵活。
So traditional kinesiology tape is there to support the joint while you go through natural range of motion and movement.
所以,我们的胶带中含有镁和薄荷醇。
So, our tape is infused with magnesium and menthol.
在我们发明之前,你无法使用任何东西来缓解疼痛,因为任何乳膏或类似的止痛药膏都会削弱粘性。
So prior to our invention, you were not able to use anything for pain relief because any creams or similar types of pain lotions would loosen the adhesive.
因此,我们希望解决这个问题,作为医疗从业者,我们非常喜爱镁和薄荷醇的组合,并深入了解了它们的协同作用,将其融入胶带中。
So we wanted to solve that, and we were, as healthcare practitioners, very, very fond of magnesium and menthol and learned lots about the combination and infused it inside the tape.
酷。
Cool.
所以它
So it
提供了一种集止痛、恢复、支撑与时尚于一体的解决方案。
allows for pain relief, recovery, support, and style all in one option.
酷。
Cool.
好的。
Alright.
令人兴奋。
Exciting.
好的。
Alright.
能跟我讲讲你们的公司是什么时候成立的,现在发展得怎么样吗?
How tell me a little bit about when was the business launched and and and how it's doing?
很棒。
Great.
是的。
Yeah.
我们在新冠疫情期间的2020年推出了第一项发明——这种含有活性成分的运动贴布,并于2021年8月正式上市。
So we created our first invention, which was this infused kinesiology tape through COVID in 2020 and launched twenty twenty one August.
几周内,我们就在一个线上贸易展上赢得了一项大奖,这让我们迅速进入了大型零售渠道。
And within weeks, we actually won an award at a trade show, which was virtual, and that pretty much launched us immediately into big box.
我们直接进入了CVS和维生素商店。
So we went right into CVS and Vitamin Shoppe.
哇。
Wow.
那么现在你们的主要销售渠道是实体店吗?
And so now you are and and is that your main sales channel in in stores?
是的。
Yeah.
这目前是我们唯一的销售渠道。
That is our only sales channel right now.
我们在北美有26,000家门店销售我们的产品。
So we're in 26,000 store doors across North America.
哇。
Wow.
能跟我聊聊你们的销售情况吗?
So tell me a little bit about your your sales.
你们做得怎么样?
How'd you guys do?
是的。
Yeah.
今年,我们的销售额预计将达到约1000万美元。
This year, we're on track to do about 10,000,000.
哇。
Wow.
你们的增长真的非常非常快。
So you're really growing really, really fast.
好的。
Okay.
你们的规模肯定比这个节目上95%的初创公司都要大,但显然仍是一家小企业。
You're certainly bigger than 95% of the startups that come on to this show, but still, obviously, a small business.
对。
Yep.
显然,你们已经取得了一些进展。
And, clearly, you've seen some traction.
在我们进一步深入之前,先告诉我们你的问题是什么。
Tell tell us what your question is before we dive in further.
是的。
Yeah.
因此,今年我们在推出新产品的同时,正进入贴剂类产品领域。
So as we're launching new products this year, we're moving into the infused patch space.
针对康瓦、女性健康和头痛问题,我们正试图围绕这些建立一个社群,引导用户访问我们的网站,并推出我们尚未开展的直接面向消费者的业务。
So Conva and women's wellness, headaches, and we're trying to build a community around it and drive people to our website and roll out our DTC arm, which we have not done yet.
但我们也很谨慎,避免过度分散精力或耗尽现有粉丝群体的热情。
But we're also mindful of not spreading ourselves too thin or burning out our existing fan base.
所以,基于你们的经验,赫南和盖伊,我想知道你们是如何平衡这两方面的?
So from your experience, for both of you guys, Hernan and Guy, I'd love to know how do you think about balancing both?
我们目前的市场足够大吗?能否在继续支持零售业务的同时,发展直接面向消费者的业务?
Is our current pond big enough to grow the DTC arm while we're still supporting our retail?
如果我们要推进,最快的方式是什么来建立一个更大、更活跃的粉丝群体来支持这一使命?
And I guess if we go for it, what's the fastest way to build a bigger and engaged fan base to support this mission?
好的。
Okay.
所以目前,你们几乎所有的销售都来自实体店,而现在你们正在考虑该如何进军直接面向消费者的业务,是否应该这么做,等等?
So right now, most virtually all of your sales are in stores, retail, and now you're you're are you sort of wondering, you know, how do we push into DTC, and and should we and and so on?
好的。
Okay.
我想听听你的想法或问题,首先是针对希瑟的。
And I wanna bring you in any thoughts or questions, first of all, for Heather.
首先,我女儿得试试你们的产品,因为她昨天因为背痛被贴了胶布。
First, my daughter needs to try your product because she was being taped yesterday for back pain.
她在学校踢足球,最近几天一直抱怨背痛。
She plays soccer at school, and she's been complaining about back pain over the last few days.
如果我能买到,我会立刻去你们的网站下单。
So I would a 100% run to your website and buy it if I can buy it.
你们有没有从风险投资或其他外部融资渠道筹集过资金?
Are have you raised money from venture capital or any kind of outside financing?
我们做了一个非常小的种子前轮融资。
We we did a very small pre seed.
其余的资金主要来自我们自筹。
The rest of it is mostly funded ourselves.
这是个好消息。
That is great news.
我问这个问题的原因是,拓展DTC渠道通常需要你有能力获得资金,一旦你证明了单位经济效益可行。
The only reason why I asked that question is that the path towards expanding into DTC usually requires you to be able to have access to capital once you have proved that the unit economics can work.
你们目前的产品中,有多少是重复购买,而不是一次性购买?
How many of your products today are repeatable purchases versus one offs?
因为我认为,任何用于止痛的胶带,人们通常只在疼痛时才购买,但我假设你们开发的其他产品有可能实现重复购买。
Because I I assume in any tape that deals with pain is something that you buy only when you have pain, but other products, I assume that you're creating could have the potential for repeatable purchases.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为我们的所有产品都属于我们所说的消耗品,人们会重复下单购买,因为你可以用它来预防
I think I would say all our products are what we call consumable so that people would buy them on a repeat order because you could use it as a prevention
对。
Right.
或者是一种支撑或恢复工具,无论是贴布还是贴片。
Or a support or a recovery tool, whether it's the tape, or whether it's the patches.
因此,我认为建立与消费者的直接联系,以便构建客户终身价值模型,对于做好DTC至关重要。
So, I would say that establishing a direct connection with consumers so that you can build a lifetime value model is crucial to getting DTC right.
许多希望进入DTC领域的品牌发现,获取客户是业务中最昂贵且最复杂的部分,但若他们的产品仅为一次性购买或购买频率很低,就会发现单位经济效益无法成立。
A lot of the brands that want to go into DTC and find that acquiring customers is one of the most expensive and complex parts of the business, but they only have a one off or purchases that are not frequent, find that the unit economics don't work.
但当你拥有一个每月都会被重复购买的产品时,你就可以估算出客户生命周期内的总利润,并将其除以客户获取成本。
But when you have a product that people renew on a monthly cadence, then you can estimate the total margin that you have over your lifetime, and divide it by the customer acquisition cost.
因此,通常情况下,你的比例会达到3:1,你就能向投资者证明这一点,从而在下一轮融资中获得资金,用于更快的扩张,让你能更迅速地获取客户。
And therefore most typically, you're at three to one, and you'll be able to prove that to your investors, you're going to be able to raise money from investors in your next round to fund a much faster expansion that will allow you to acquire customers more quickly.
有意思。
Interesting.
是的。
Yeah.
海瑟,我有几个简单的问题。
Heather, a couple quick questions.
你们收到过收购要约吗?有没有人主动来找你们,说:
Have you had any acquisition offers or anybody coming in sort of aggressively saying, hey.
你们想卖吗?
You wanna sell?
是的。
Yeah.
到目前为止,已经有很多人来找我们了。
We've had a lot so far come at us.
我们的目标是先推出新产品,比如痛经贴片和头痛贴片,真正建立起差异化优势,然后再考虑这些收购提议。
I think our goal was to launch our new products, which are, like, period pain patches and headache patches and really differentiate ourselves before we entertain those.
也许明年吧。
Maybe next year.
这很明智。
That's smart.
这很聪明。
That is smart.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,你目前还很小,所以你正处于发展路线图的早期阶段。
I mean, you're still small, so you you're you're early in in your road map.
对吧?
Right?
所以你不应该仅仅因为有人打电话来就决定出售。
So you you don't wanna sell just because someone's calling.
我另一个想知道的是,赫南也提到了,就是客户获取成本。
Another thing that I wonder about is is and Hernan alluded this is customer acquisition cost.
对吧?
Right?
在直接面向消费者的模式中,这些成本很高。
When it comes to DTC, they're high.
对吧?
Right?
你每获取一个客户得花50.60到70.80美元。
You gotta spend $50.60, $70.80 dollars per acquisition.
但你的产品有趣之处在于,你已经进入了26,000家商店,你说是吧?
But what's interesting about your product is you are already in, you said, 26,000 stores
没错。
That's correct.
在北美吗?
In North America?
是的。
Yep.
而且你的包装其实正是你获取这些客户的关键所在,对吧?
And are you I mean, your packaging is like could be your that's really where you can acquire these customers.
对吧?
Right?
因为这就像一个广告牌。
Because it's a billboard.
我的意思是,你已经进入商店了。
I mean, you're in the stores already.
你现在有了广告位。
You've got ad space now.
你能在包装上放一个二维码,扫描即可享受下次订单15%折扣,或者扫描加入社区,从而将顾客引导至网站吗?
Can you put a a QR code on your package as a scan here for 15% off your next order or scan here to join the community and then sort of move people to the website?
对。
Right.
这其实是个好主意。
That's a good idea, actually.
谢谢。
Thank you.
通过包装将顾客引入社区,这真是个非常好的想法。
That's a really good idea to consider bringing them into the community through the box.
我不管怎样,刚才只是随便想想,但你说得对。
I I anyway, I was just I was just spitballing here, but, you know, it's right.
因为直接面向消费者的业务,利润率会更高。
Because the DTC side, the and on the margins are gonna be higher.
但这不仅仅是利润率的问题。
Well, it's not only the margins.
更重要的是与客户建立长期的联系。
It's the the lifetime connection with the customers.
对吧?
Right?
而且这还涉及到
And it's
能够拥有这些客户资源,顺便说一句,如果你将来考虑接受公司的收购要约,他们会把这份客户名单估值得远高于你的零售销售额。
the ability to to own those, which, by the way, if you do entertain later on an acquisition offer for the company, they're going to value that list at a much higher multiple than your retail sales.
因为零售销售额,收购方心里总会觉得它受限制更多,更容易受到竞争影响,而直接面向消费者的销售通常则更属于你自己。
Because the retail sales, they will always, in the back of the head, think that they are more constrained, they're more subject to competition, whereas drug sales typically are much more yours.
是的。
Yeah.
你刚才谈了很多关于收购的事。
And you you talked a lot about the acquisition side.
你知道,你们对作为品牌来说,什么时候是合适的时机有什么看法吗?
You know, do you guys have any feelings around when the right time is and how you know as a brand?
这个问题问你了,埃尔南。
This one's for you, Hernan.
我有想法,就是你太早了。
I have thoughts, which is you're too early.
但你知道,如果有人来找你,说嘿,一千万,你的EBITDA是多少?
But, you know, again, if someone's coming in and they're saying, hey, 10,000,000, what's your EBITDA?
他们愿意给你一大笔现金。
And they're gonna offer you a boatload of cash.
这取决于你。
You know, it's up to you.
但是,赫南,你已经经历过这些了。
But, Hernan, you've been through this.
你怎么看?
What do you think?
我觉得一点都不算早。
I don't think it is too early at all.
我认为你现在正处在合适的时机,因为你不需要提供整个产品目录,就能与消费者建立直接关系。
I think you are at the right time because you don't need to be offering a whole catalog in order to to be able to have a direct relationship with your consumers.
事实上,如果你看看Hims和Hers,对吧?
In fact, there are people, if you look at Hims and Hers, right?
他们起步时只有一种产品,专注于这一款产品,直到后来才扩展为多品类品牌。
When they started, they had one product and they really zeroed in on that one product that they sold before they expanded to be a multiple category brand.
你的社交媒体影响力,尤其是Instagram和TikTok,有多大?
And how how how big is your social media presence, your Instagram and TikTok in particular?
它还在增长中。
It's still growing.
我觉得我们目前还是挺小的。
I would I would say we're pretty small still.
你会发现,这些渠道可能是转化率最高的。
You'll find them that those are probably the channels that converted the most.
是的。
Yeah.
仅靠自然增长真的很难。
And it's really difficult to do only organically.
对吧?
Right?
你总是需要结合自然增长和广告推广,但我觉得你的消费者就在这些地方。
You're always going to have to have a combination of organic and advertising, but I I think that that's where your consumers are going to be.
我建议你,什么时候推出经期贴片?
And And I would encourage you, when are you going to launch the period patch?
是的,经期贴片和头痛贴片都会在五月进入大型零售店。
Yeah, both the period patches and the headache patches will go into the big box stores around May.
好的,因此你们没有理由在将这些产品作为DTC核心业务之前等待太久,因为这些产品听起来正是消费者会认为自己需要频繁购买的类型,投资者也会立即将其与具有重复购买属性的产品联系起来,这种模式能够帮助你们计算客户终身价值,从而在下一次融资时更容易获得资金。
Okay, and so there's no reason to wait too long before you put them at the center of your DTC offering, because those sound exactly like the products that consumers will definitely think they need to buy frequently, and investors will immediately associate with a product that has repeatable purchases, and that can model a customer lifetime value that will allow you to raise money when you go to market next.
关于收购,还有一个最后的想法。
One one quick last thought about the acquisition Yeah.
方面。
Side.
我们在节目中进行了七百多次访谈,发现很多时候——我并不想说聪明,但确实有些幸运的创始人能够多次抓住机会。
What we've seen, you know, over seven six, seven hundred interviews on the show is that oftentimes, I I don't wanna say smart, but lucky founders can take multiple bites of the apple.
对吧?
Right?
你们可以先出售一部分业务,然后通常这位所有者——或者说主要股东——会再次出售,这样就能再获得一次机会。
You can you can sell a chunk of your business once, and then oftentimes that that sort of owner or let's say they're a majority owner will sell it again, and then you get another bite of the apple.
偶尔,他们还会选择上市,这样就能获得第三次机会。
And then occasionally, they'll take it public, and then you get a third bite of the apple.
像Solo Stove这样的品牌我们就见过这种情况。
And we've seen that with brands like Solo Stove.
他们获得了三次机会,实际上在公司上市时赚到了最多的钱,尽管那时他们的持股比例已经是最小的。
They got they got three bites of the apple and actually made their most money when it went public even though, you know, they had the smallest ownership share at that point.
因此,我强烈建议你尽量保留一些重要的股份,如果收购方找上门来的话。
So I would I would strongly advise you to try and retain some significant shares if Yeah.
如果收购方找上门来的话。
If an acquirer comes calling.
好的。
Okay.
太棒了。
Amazing.
非常感谢你们。
Well, thank you so much.
我
I'm
我是你们的超级粉丝,非常感激能有这个机会认识你们两位并登上这个节目。
a huge, huge fan and beyond grateful to have this opportunity to meet you both and be on the show.
谢谢。
Thank you.
很棒的产品。
Awesome product.
恭喜。
Congrats.
谢谢,这是一个精彩的故事。
Thank you amazing story.
一千万美元。
$10,000,000.
希瑟·斯隆,品牌名为Heali Medical。
Heather Sloan, brand is called Heali Medical.
感谢来电。
Thanks for calling in.
谢谢。
Thank you.
恭喜。
Congratulations.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我想你会明白,毕竟你和亚马逊合作过,赫南,像这样的产品。
I mean, I would think that, you know and you know this having worked with Amazon, Hernan, like a a product like this.
对吧?
Right?
你想找到,特别是当涉及到被收购时,想找一个像联合利华这样的大品牌。
You wanna find and especially when it comes to getting acquired, you wanna find a big brand like a Unilever.
对吧?
Right?
找一个真正熟悉这些渠道、能带来巨大价值的公司,而不是卖给某个随机的私募股权公司。
Like, somebody who really has experience in these channels who can really bring incredible value, not just selling it to, like, a you know, some random private equity.
不过,你知道,那也可能挺有意思的。
Although, you know, that that could be interesting too.
有时,这些私募股权公司最终会通过整合多个同类产品来将其出售给更大的公司。
Then sometimes those private equity firms are ultimately the ones who then sell to an earlier when they do aggregation of multiple products in the similar category.
我认为她绝对应该研究一下他和她那两家孪生公司所做的事情,因为我能看到他们在直接面向消费者的健康领域所走的路与之非常相似。
I I think that she should definitely study what both him's and hers, the twin companies did because I I can see the road map being very parallel to what they built in the direct to consumer health space.
好的。
Alright.
我们马上休息一下,稍后会继续接听另一位听众的来电并提供新一轮建议。
We're gonna take a quick break, but we'll be right back with another caller and another round of advice.
请继续收听。
Stay with us.
我是盖伊·拉兹,您正在收听的是《我是如何打造这个品牌的》咨询热线。
I'm Guy Raz, and you're listening to the advice line right here on how I built this lab.
欢迎回到《我是如何打造这个品牌的》咨询热线。
Welcome back to the advice line on how I built this lab.
我是盖伊·拉兹,今天我的嘉宾是Wondery的创始人赫尔南·洛佩兹,我们正在接听听众来电。
I'm Guy Raz, and my guest today is Hernan Lopez, founder of Wondery, and we're taking your calls.
赫南,你准备好接下一个电话了吗?
And, Hernan, are you ready for for another call?
准备好了。
Ready.
好的。
Alright.
让我们接下一位来电者。
Let's bring our next caller.
欢迎来到由Wondery创始人赫南·洛佩兹主持的建议热线。
Welcome to the advice line you're on with Hernan Lopez, founder of Wondery.
告诉我们你的名字、你来自哪里,以及你的业务情况。
Tell us your name, where you're calling from, and a little bit about your business.
嗨,盖伊。
Hi, Guy.
你好,赫南。
Hello, Hernan.
我叫纳瓦尔·奥迪,来自密歇根州底特律。
My name is Nawal Audi calling from Detroit, Michigan.
我是Studyous Monday的创始人,我为穆斯林家庭和学校建立了一个可靠的校服生产系统。
I am the founder of Studyous Monday where I built a reliable school uniform making system for Muslim families and schools.
太棒了。
Awesome.
欢迎来到节目,纳瓦尔。
Welcome to the show, Nawal.
那么,你能告诉我你卖的是校服吗?
So tell me about so these are uniforms, school uniforms that you're selling?
这些是为戴希贾布的9到17岁女孩设计的端庄校服。
So, they're modest school uniforms designed for the hijab between, you know, the nine to 17 year old girl who wears the hijab.
作为一名母亲,我自己的女儿和儿子都上穆斯林学校,我亲身感受到了市场上的这一空白。
There was a gap in the market experienced by myself as a mom who has a daughter and also sons that go to Muslim schools.
当时根本没有适合他们的校服。
And there were no school uniforms for them.
这更多是关于层叠、设计和修改。
It was more about layering and creating and altering.
所以我决定为他们打造一些产品。
And so I decided to create something for them.
这太棒了。
That's great.
真酷。
That's cool.
因为校服真的很棒。
Because school uniforms are are awesome.
我的意思是,它基本上实现了公平竞争。
I mean, it it basically it it levels the playing field.
对吧?
Right?
因为没人会炫耀自己的街头品牌或昂贵的衣物。
Because no one is sort of bragging about their, you know, streetwear brands and their expensive whatevers.
他们都穿着同样的衣服。
They're all wearing the same thing.
给我讲讲这个生意吧。
Tell me a little bit about about the business.
我猜你们主要是在你们所在地密歇根州本地销售吗?
How is it I'm assuming you're selling this mainly locally in around Michigan where you are based?
是的。
Yep.
没错。
Exactly.
所以我们直接通过学校向消费者销售。
So so we are selling direct to consumer through the schools.
所以学校会说,嘿。
So the schools are like, hey.
这是今年的校服。
This is the school uniform for the year.
你需要购买这个,这就是我们获取客户的方式。
You need to buy this, and that's that's how we get our customers.
去年我只和一所学校合作,今年开学季我扩展到了四所学校。
So I went from one school last year to four schools this upcoming back to school season.
你们的服装是在哪里生产的?
And where are you manufacturing the clothing?
你们是自己设计的吗?
Are you are you designing it, by way?
是我自己设计的。
I am designing it.
是我自己生产的。
I I manufactured it.
作为一名移民子女,同时作为一位父母,能够将身份认同与服装时尚结合起来,这对我来说非常有启发。
It's been quite inspiring for me, you know, as a daughter of immigrants, as well as, like, my children to reconcile identity and clothing and fashion.
而且,在美国本土生产真的让我感到非常有成就感。
And, you know, manufacturing in The United States has been super rewarding.
是的
Yeah.
当然
For sure.
给我讲讲你的销售情况吧。
Tell me a little bit about your sales.
你最近怎么样?
How are you doing?
生意怎么样?
How's the business doing?
所以,是的,我们去年的销售额是7.5万美元
So, yeah, our sales last year was 75,000
好的
Alright.
以前只有一所学校,现在我们会扩展到四所学校。
With one school, and now we'll be at four schools.
展开剩余字幕(还有 346 条)
所以我们希望在今年即将到来的返校季达到约25万美元的销售额。
So we're hoping to reach about $250,000 this upcoming back to school season.
太棒了。
Awesome.
在我们进一步讨论之前,告诉我们你的问题吧。
And before we get into this further, tell us tell us your question.
我一直以来的顾虑是,如何在保持我以‘Studious Monday’这个名称建立的信任的同时,许多我服务的家庭却难以发音。
So my hesitation has been around preserving the trust that I've built under the name Studious Monday, but many of the families I serve struggle to pronounce it.
我的许多客户都是移民家庭,我不确定是应该继续沿用这个名称,还是转向一个更简单、更容易理解的名字。
Many of my families are immigrant families, and I and I don't know whether to keep growing the name or transition to something simpler or more accessible.
所以你提到的,是关于你品牌名称本身的问题?
So the question to you're talking about literally the name of your brand?
我的公司名称。
My company name.
是的。
Yep.
Studious Monday
Studious Monday.
是的
Yeah.
Study us
Study us.
Studious Monday
Studious Monday.
Study us
Study us.
是的
Yeah.
而且
And
所以这就是你正在纠结的问题。
and so that's this is sort of what you're grappling with.
好的。
Alright.
赫尔南,我想请你谈谈。
Hernan, I wanna bring you in.
首先,对纳瓦尔有什么想法或问题吗?
First of all, thoughts or questions for Nawal.
首先,恭喜你。
First of all, congratulations.
创业并为你所热爱的社区、以及明确的消费者需求提供服务,是创业者最富有成就感的部分之一。
Starting a business, serving a community that you love and a very clear consumer need is one of the most rewarding parts of being an entrepreneur.
我想问你,你是怎么想到这个名字的?
And and I wanted to ask you, how did you come up with a name?
名字对你来说意味着什么?
What does a name mean to you?
我当时在想那个女孩。
So I was thinking about the girl.
我在想她会具备怎样的特质。
I was thinking about her and the kind of characteristics she would carry.
最终,她是个勤奋的学生,喜欢在周一早晨醒来,打扮好去上学。
And ultimately, she is studious and she loves to wake up on Monday mornings and get dressed and go to school.
于是我将这两个词组合在一起,创造了这个名字,它甚至变成了一种动词,比如你会说,‘过一个勤奋的周一’之类的,我和朋友们也玩过这个文字游戏,最后我们决定就叫这个名字。
So I put those two words together and I created this name and it became kind of like a verb, like, you know, have a studious Monday kind of thing, or, you know, there was like a play on it, like between me and my friends, we played around with it, and we're like, okay, we're just gonna call it this.
当我开始创办Wondery时,我花了很多时间思考品牌名称的含义以及人们会如何理解这个名字。
I would say, I I thought a lot when I started Wondery about the brand name and what it signifies and how people will perceive the name.
Wondery意味着‘奇迹的工厂’。
And Wondery was the factory of wonder.
当我告诉别人这是它的含义时,有一半人说,哦,这很合理。
And when I told people that's what it was, half said, Oh, that makes sense.
另一半人则说,哦,我没想到这层意思。
And half said, Oh, I did not appreciate that that's what it was.
但这个名字确实将产品与消费者的情感体验紧密地联系在了一起。
But it really was a name that connected the product in a very emotional level with what the consumers were experiencing.
我对品牌设定了一些明确的标准,其中之一是,我希望名字的音节不要超过四个。
I had a number of bright lines for the brand, and one of them was, I wanna know more than four syllables.
这是我听过的一条建议。
And that's advice that I've heard.
我不记得第一次是谁说的,但当你告诉我‘Studyous Monday’时,我脑子里第一个念头是,也许这多了一个音节。
I don't know from whom the first time, but I, when you told me, Studyous Monday, the first thing that I heard in the back of my head was, maybe that's one syllable too many.
是的。
Yeah.
任何需要解释的品牌名称,都会在你和消费者之间增加一道不必要的障碍。
And any brand name that needs explaining puts another barrier between you and the consumer that you don't necessarily want.
所以,这还只是在你考虑到一些家人和客户难以发音之前。
So, that's before you got into the fact that some of your families have trouble pronouncing it, some of your clients.
对。
Yes.
所以,如果你打算更换品牌,现在就是最好的时机。
So, if you're going to change the brand, I think now is the time to do it.
所以当品牌还年轻的时候。
So when the brand is young.
我会给你一本推荐的书。
And I'll give you a book to read.
这本书叫《你好,我的名字真棒》。
It's called Hello, My Name is Awesome.
我认为作者是亚历山德拉·沃特金斯。
I think Alexandra Watkins is the author.
我读完这本书后,正是它启发我创造了Wondery这个品牌。
And I actually, after reading the book, that was the the book that led me to come up with a brand Wondery.
我已经把这本书推荐给很多创业者了。
I've given it to so many entrepreneurs.
谢谢。
Thank you.
这太有帮助了。
That's so helpful.
谢谢。
Thank you.
所以,纳瓦尔,我很好奇,当你展望五年后,你对这家公司的愿景是什么?
So, Nawal, I I'm curious, what is when you sort of look out five years from now, what is the kind of the vision that you have for this for this company?
我的愿景是让每个穆斯林学校都能用上。
My vision is to be in every single Muslim school across the nation.
当然,长远来看,你必须外包生产、组建销售团队等等。
So and down and down the road, of course, you're gonna have to outsource manufacturing and and build a sales team and and and things like that.
关于名字,我的想法有点不同,不过我觉得这没什么大不了的。
You know, in terms of the name, I mean, I have a slightly different I don't think it's a big deal, by the way.
我觉得 Studyous 或 Studyous 挺酷的。
I think Studyous or Studyous is kinda cool.
但你有没有想过,能不能在名字里融入某种类似‘端庄’的概念?
But, you know, have you thought about maybe integrating the word somehow, like, modest?
不是直接用‘端庄’这个词,而是它的含义,比如‘modestly’之类的?
Not exactly that word, but the idea or maybe, like, you know, modestly or some something like that in the name?
目前我有两个争议点。
There's two areas of contention with me right now.
比如,我是否应该顺应当前的端庄时尚潮流,将‘端庄’这个词融入品牌名称中?
Like, do I play into this trend of, like, modest fashion right now, you know, and incorporate modest into, you know, the brand name?
还是应该让服装自己说话,让人们看到后自然知道它是端庄的,而我不必明说?
Or or do I just let the clothes speak for themselves where people see it and know that it's modest without me actually saying it?
是的。
Yeah.
有意思。
Interesting.
我的看法是,这值得融入品牌中,当然你可能有不同的看法。
I mean, I I I think it could my view and you may have a different view.
我的观点是,把这一点融入品牌是有价值的。
My view is it's worth sort of building that in to the brand.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,尤其是因为这本来就是它的本质。
I mean, especially because that's what it is.
当然。
Sure.
唯一的限制是,如果你将来打算将这个品牌扩展到如此广泛的范围,以至于‘端庄’这个词会成为限制,那才是不这么做的唯一理由。
The only limitation, if if you feel in the future you would expand so far of that brand that it will be limiting, that will be the only reason not to do it.
对。
Right.
我的意思是,你有一天会生产不端庄的服装吗?
I mean, is there a chance you may make immodest clothing one day?
大概不会。
Probably not.
大概不会。
Probably not.
大概不会。
Probably not.
所以今天你们只给女生做校服,但我可以想象,家长既有女孩也有男孩。
So today you do uniforms only for girls, but I can imagine that the parents have girls and boys.
是的。
Yeah.
不。
No.
很好的问题。
Fair question.
所以,当初就是这样的。
So, that's what it was.
最初是先从女生开始的。
It started off as girls first.
后来我去学校时,学校说:你知道的,我不希望我的家庭要去两家不同的店。
And then when I went to the schools, the schools are like, well, you know, I don't want my family going to two different shops.
去两个不同的地方。
To two different places.
是的。
Yeah.
两个不同的地方。
Two different places.
所以我把男装也纳入了我们的系列,打造成适合穆斯林家庭的整体方案。
So I incorporated boys wear into our collection and made it like a Muslim family thing.
这说得通。
That makes sense.
但我的意思是,是的,这些确实都是需要考虑的因素。
But I mean, yeah, those are all definitely things to consider.
你知道的。
You know?
我的意思是,我们之前在展会上也见过像Parachute Home这样的品牌。
I mean, again, it's, you know, we've had brands in the show like Parachute Home.
我的意思是,Parachute Home是个大企业,但它跟降落伞毫无关系。
I mean, Parachute Home is a big business, but it has nothing to do with parachutes.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
做得非常好。
It's done very well.
所以我们在节目中邀请过很多品牌,但它们并不一定是威柏派克。
So we've had a lot of brands on the show that not aren't necessarily Warby Parker.
这跟眼镜有什么关系?
What does it have to do with glasses?
不过这个名字很棒。
It's a great name though.
是的。
Yeah.
还有Tom's鞋子,我只是随便说说。
And so Tom's shoes, you know, I'm just I'm spitballing.
但我认为你可以尝试不同的名字。
But I I think that there you could you could experiment with different names.
你知道,好吧。
You know, so so okay.
那我该找谁来测试呢?
So who do I test this on?
我该去哪里做这个测试?
Like, where do I go to get this tested?
有没有什么工具?
Like, are there tools?
有没有什么资源?
Are there resources?
还是说,有没有一些圈子或场合,可以像你说的那样,试着玩一玩这个品牌名字,然后再去注册商标?
Or are is there like a are there circles or spaces where I could, like like you said, play around with this, you know, with a a brand name, you know, and and then trademarking it.
但具体该找谁,在哪里呢?
But, like, who and where?
我就直接跟你那些潜在客户聊聊。
I would just talk to the people that that you know, who are your potential customers.
我的意思是,我觉得你不需要做焦点小组,而且说实话,我并不总是信任焦点小组。
I mean, that I don't think you need focus groups or and and frankly, I don't always trust focus groups.
我敢肯定你在一些节目上做过焦点小组,结果观众讨厌得要死,但节目却大获成功。
And I'm sure you went through focus groups on some of your shows where the people hated it and then the show was a hit.
我知道这个节目就发生过这种情况。
So I know that happened with this show.
我们其实没有做,我们做的只是内部听审来剪辑,但没有针对潜在听众做焦点小组。
We did not actually we we didn't test what what we did do were internal listening sessions to edit, but not focus groups with potential listeners.
但我推荐的那本书里有一些关于如何思考这个问题的资源。
But the book that I recommended has some resources about how to think about it.
那本书是在大语言模型出现之前写的。
That book was written before LLMs.
所以,在你进行创意时,一定要跟ChattyPT和Claude聊聊。
So definitely, as you're ideating, talk to ChattyPT and to Claude.
它们在提供消费者反应方向方面会非常出色。
They will be great at giving you direction into how a consumer would respond.
它们实际上是进行所谓合成研究的工具,你可以雇佣合成焦点小组,而且它们反应迅速。
They're actually tools that do something called synthetic research, where you can hire synthetic focus groups, and and they act quickly.
它们假装成普通人,对你提供的品牌进行一到十分的评分,并告诉你为什么它们会或不会做出这样的反应。
They pretend to be people, and they give you answers that rate the brands that you give them from one to 10, and they tell you why they respond and not respond to.
是的。
Yeah.
哇。
Wow.
好的。
Okay.
哇。
Wow.
这真是绝佳的建议。
That's awesome advice.
纳瓦尔,非常感谢你来电。
Nawal, thank you so much for calling in.
这个品牌目前叫Studyous或Studyous Monday。
The brand is called, for now, Studyous or Studyous Monday.
祝你好运。
Good luck.
随时告诉我们进展。
Keep us posted.
谢谢。
Thank you.
非常荣幸。
Such a pleasure.
谢谢。
Thank you.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我对这种命名理念感到矛盾,因为我们确实见过一些拥有荒谬名字的大品牌。
I mean, it's it's a I'm conflicted over this idea of names because we do you know, we have had major brands that have stupid names.
甚至连创始人自己都承认这些名字很蠢,但它们却成了价值数十亿美元的公司。
And and even the founders admit they have stupid names, but they become multibillion dollar companies.
但在他们创业初期,为了让人记住他们的品牌和产品,他们付出了多得多的努力。
But they had to do so much more work at the beginning of their journeys to get people to remember what they are and what product to associate it with.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,这确实没错。
Well, they that's true.
但话说回来,还有很多种名字,你根本想象不出人们会说:我不知道。
But, I mean, there are again, you know, there are all kinds of names that you just you can imagine people would say, I don't know.
你知道吗?
You know?
这能让我对这个产品或这个东西产生什么联想呢?
What does that tell me about this product or this this thing?
而且他们也做得很好。
And and they do just fine.
你知道吗?
You know?
做得很好。
Just fine.
苹果。
Apple.
对吧?
Right?
苹果作为苹果公司的名字合理吗?
Is Apple a logical name for Apple?
苹果
Apple
是一家电脑公司?
is a computer company?
对。
Right.
这毫无道理。
That makes no sense.
它是世界上最大的公司之一。
It's the one of the biggest companies in the world.
所以你看。
So there you go.
好吧。
Okay.
广告之后,另一位听众将带来另一个商业难题。
Next up after the break, another caller with another business challenge.
我是盖伊·拉兹,我们正在这里的建议热线中回答您的商业问题,节目名为《我是如何打造这个的》。
I'm Guy Raz, and we're answering your business questions right here on the advice line on how I built this lab.
欢迎回到《我是如何打造这个的》建议热线。
Welcome back to the advice line on how I built this lab.
我是盖伊·拉兹,今天我将与洪南·洛佩兹——Wondery的创始人——一起接听大家的来电。
I'm Guy Raz, and today, I'm taking your calls with Hernan Lopez, founder of Wondery.
让我们接入下一位来电者。
And let's bring in our next caller.
你好。
Hello.
大家好。
Hi, folks.
我叫凯西·奥利里。
My name is Casey O'Leary.
我是蛇河种子合作社的联合创始人兼首席执行官,我们的总部位于爱达荷州博伊西。
I'm the cofounder and CEO of the Snake River Seed Cooperative, which is headquartered in Boise, Idaho.
我们是一家由员工和农民共同拥有的合作社,种植多种园艺种子。
We are a worker and farmer owned coop where we grow a wide variety of garden seeds.
我们将这些种子装袋,并通过我们的网站以及大盆地西部地区约80家其他商店进行销售。
We put those into packets, and we sell them on our website and in around 80, other stores in the Intermountain West.
不错。
Nice.
欢迎来到节目,凯西。
Welcome to the show, Casey.
所以,这是一个合作社。
So, it's a cooperative.
你能简单解释一下它是怎么运作的吗?
So can you kind of explain how briefly how the hell works?
我们是一家种子公司,由一群不同的农民和公司员工共同拥有。
We are a seed company, and we are co owned by a bunch of different farmers and also by the employees that work for the company.
所以,它是一个合法的合作社。
So there's so it's a legal cooperative.
嗯。
Uh-huh.
我们有一个叫‘种子 rodeo’的活动,农民们报名负责培育不同的种子作物。
We have what we call it the seed rodeo, and, basically, farmers sign up for stewardship of different seed crops.
每次我们需要种植时,都会由一位农民来负责种植。
And every time we need to grow them out, one of the farmers, grows them out.
种子也是他们收获吗?
And harvest the seeds as well?
是的。
Yep.
他们收获种子。
They harvest the seeds.
他们还会清理种子等等。
They clean the seeds and all of that.
然后当种子运到合作社时,我们会进行发芽测试。
And then when they come into the coop, we germination test them.
我们会把种子装进包装袋,然后通过销售渠道分发出去。
We put them into packets, and then we distribute them through our sales.
跟我说说你们的种子都卖到哪里去。
And tell me about where you sell your seeds.
是的。
Yeah.
我们通过自己的网店销售种子。
We sell them we have a we have a web store, and we sell them on our web store.
此外,我们在落基山脉西部地区约80家不同的零售商处销售种子。
And then we also sell them we're in about 80 different retailers around the Intermountain West region.
比如园艺中心、五金店、天然食品杂货店之类的场所。
So garden centers, hardware stores, natural food grocery stores, stuff like that.
能跟我聊聊你们的销售情况吗?
And tell me a little bit about your sales.
你们做得怎么样?
How'd you guys do?
你们现在情况如何?
How how how are you doing?
是的。
Yeah.
我们每年的销售额大约是40万美元。
We're about 400,000 a year in sales.
这很不错。
It's pretty good.
这40万美元的销售额能覆盖所有成本吗?
And and is that $400,000 in sales, does that cover all your costs?
能支付工资和其他开销吗?
Does that pays salaries and everything?
能覆盖。
It does.
我的意思是,种子确实如此。
I mean, seeds are yeah.
能覆盖。
It does.
勉强而已。
Barely.
好的。
Alright.
在我们进一步深入之前,你遇到的挑战是什么?你需要哪方面的帮助?
Before we dive in further, what is your challenge that you're you'd like some help with?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,这正好点出了问题。
I mean, I think this gets at it.
你知道,种子一般来说是很便宜的。
I you know, seeds are cheap, generally speaking.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,这并不是说对。
I mean, this isn't this is a Right.
我们正在与一家跨国行业竞争。
We're competing with a a multinational industry.
对。
Right.
你可以去家得宝,花15美分或一美元左右就能买到。
You can go into Home Depot and buy a 15¢ or whatever to a dollar.
是的。
Yeah.
对吧?
Right?
对吧?
Right?
这些算是
And these are kind
我也不知道。
of I don't know.
我的意思是,我不想说这是劣质种子,但它们确实是。
I mean, I don't wanna say garbage seeds, but they are.
它们没有得到精心的照料。
They're not being stewarded with care.
它们没有,而且种植这些种子的人也拿不到体面的工资。
They're not and the people who are growing them are not making a living wage.
是的。
Yeah.
但你知道,利润空间很薄。
But, you know, margins are tight.
就像你所说的,这40万美元是从售价介于2.79到4.79美元一包的产品中赚来的。
Like you said, I mean, this $400,000 is coming from selling something that's, you know, somewhere between $2.79 and $4.79 a packet.
对吧?
Right?
所以我们现金流很紧张。
So we struggle the cash flow.
因此我想问大家,拥有一个适应本地区域的种子供应体系,能带来巨大的公共利益。
So my question for you all is I'm try there's a huge tremendous public benefit to having a regionally adapted seed supply.
我们在我们的生物区域很好地讲述了这个故事。
And we do a good job of telling that story in our bioregion.
我的问题是,我们如何以有创意的方式利用这种公共利益来增加收入?
My question is, how can we leverage that public benefit in creative ways that could increase our revenue?
很好。
Great.
好的。
Okay.
所以,如果我理解正确的话,问题是:我们可以做些什么来为业务带来更多现金流?
So I think if I'm reading which lines is how can what are the things we can do to generate more cash for the business?
这是个很好的问题。
This is a great question.
赫尔南,我想请你谈谈看法。
Hernan, I wanna bring you in here.
你怎么看?
What do you think?
首先,祝贺你们所做的事情。
First of all, congratulations on what you guys do.
听到有人充满热情地以合作模式创造产品,并且能够与那些只关心销量和利润的工业化公司竞争,这简直令人难以置信。
It's it's incredible that to to hear a story of people who are creating a product passionately and in the cooperative model that are getting through and competing against industrialized companies that really all they care about is volume and margin.
在今天的40万美元销售额中,有多少是直接销售的,有多少是通过零售商销售的?
Of the $400,000 today, how much is sold directly versus through retailers?
我们大约40%的销售额来自官网,60%来自批发业务。
It's about 40% of our sales come from our web store and 60% are through our wholesale program.
这已经非常显著了。
Oh, it's so significant already.
因此,我认为你们应该尽可能地提升通过官网的销售,因为零售商基本上都会让你与其他他们拥有的替代品竞争。
And so I would think that you want to build that sells through your website to the highest level that you can, because the retailers, by and large, they're always going to make you compete with other alternatives that they have.
你们希望把产品从价格敏感型客户转向注重故事性、热情和使命的客户。
And you want to move your product away from the price sensitivity customers into the storytelling and passion and purpose clients.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为,我们能提供的是人们所需要的技能和知识。
And I think, you know, I think another thing that we bring to the table is we have this skill set and this knowledge that people want.
嗯。
Mhmm.
因此,我们申请到了一些补助金,用于开设关于如何培育种子、保存种子以及从种子种植植物的课程。
And so we've gotten grant money to teach classes about how to grow seeds and how to save seeds and how to grow plants from seeds and things.
所以我们做了很多教育类的工作,但主要是通过申请补助金,然后向公众免费提供这些教育内容。
And so we've done a lot of the educational kinds of stuff, but we've mostly done that through getting grants and then offering that education for free to the public.
因此,在某种程度上,我觉得我们或许可以利用的是,将人们与他们想学习的这种技能联系起来。
And so, you know, in some ways, I feel like part of the part of what we might be able to leverage is this, you know, being able to connect people somehow with this skill set that they want to learn about.
你知道的?
You know?
我的意思是,你看。
I I mean, look.
补助金,正如你肯定同意的那样,并不是一个商业模式。
Grants, as you, I'm sure, would agree, are not a business model.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,补助金很好,但你必须经营一个可持续的业务。
I mean, they're great, but but you have to run a sustainable business.
这里可能存在一种情况,凯西,你和你的专家团队本质上也可以成为顾问。
And I there there could be a world here, right, where essentially, Casey, you and and your band of experts are essentially also consultants.
你们按小时收费,帮助人们规划该在哪里种植、如何规划。
You are charging per hour to help people figure out where to plan things, how to plan things.
甚至可能参与打造你们业务的一部分。
Maybe even working with sort of, you know, creating a part of your business.
你可能不喜欢这个想法,但可以尝试识别博伊西那些真正希望拥有完美花园的高净值人群。
And you may not like this idea, but it could be really interesting where you sort of identify high net worth folks in Boise who really wanna have awesome things in their garden.
我认为,通过开设收费课程或提供咨询服务,并深入服务你们最好的客户,会是一个很有意思的机会。
I think that there could be an interesting opportunity with with sort of creating classes that cost money or or some consulting as well and and really going deeper with your best customers.
你知道的吧?
You know?
我的意思是,你们有做订阅服务之类的吗?
Some some I mean, are you guys doing subscriptions or anything?
有没有尝试过这方面的实验?
Any or or have you tried experimenting with that?
是的。
Yeah.
我们有一个每月种子订阅俱乐部。
We do a seed of the month club.
哦,不错。
Oh, nice.
人们可以注册,每个月都会收到一包种子,还会附上一封关于该品种的小通讯。
So people can sign up and they get a seed every month with a little newsletter about that particular variety that comes in the mail.
你们这个每月种子订阅有多少客户?
And how many customers do you have on that seed of the month?
现在将近两百人了。
Almost 200 now.
好的。
Okay.
所以,盖伊,我原本以为你会建议的另一个方向是把专家当作影响力人物来使用。
So actually the advice, Guy, that I thought you were going to go was in another direction, which is to use the experts as influencers in a way.
啊,是的。
Ah, yeah.
我知道这是个敏感词,但想想看,尤其是当每位专家都专精于某一种种子时,为每个人制作一系列竖屏视频。
I know that's a charge word, but think of them, especially if each of them is tied to one specific seed and is the expert in that seed, give them each one series of vertical videos.
我说竖屏是因为现在人们在手机上观看娱乐和教育内容都是这样做的。
I'm saying vertical because that's how people now experience entertainment and education on mobile.
我指的是时长很短的视频,不超过三分钟,短到三十秒也可以。
And I'm talking about videos that are short in nature, no more than three minutes, as short as thirty seconds.
通过统一的视觉风格、叙事方式,以及让每位专家以相同方式讲述他们与特定种子的关联,你实际上可以逐步建立起一个社区,让人们因为热爱学习如何种植种子而加入,最终意识到他们自己并不会真正去种植。
And by having a unified look, and storytelling narrative, and a way in which all of them speak about their association with that specific seed, and you can essentially start to build a community of people who come for the passion of learning how to plant seeds and eventually realize that they're never going to do it on their own.
所以,他们最终很可能会直接在你的网站上购买这些种子。
So, they're probably going to end up buying them from you directly on your website.
你的零售市场很可能已经达到上限。
Your retail market is most likely capped.
你的直接面向消费者的市场将让你能够朝着一个方向发展,你只需要找到更多对价格不敏感、并与你建立基于热情而非实用性的关系的客户,如果这说得通的话。
Your direct to consumer market will allow you to essentially grow into a direction where all you need to do is find more customers that will be less price sensitive and will develop a relationship with you that is passion based and not utility based, if that makes sense.
我非常喜欢这一点。
I love that.
我非常喜欢,因为确实,有时候你会觉得,一包种子卖44美元79美分,相比你在家得宝货架上能买到的价格,似乎有点贵。
I love that because yes, it sometimes it seems like, you know, $44 and 79¢ for a packet of seeds, you know, compared to what you might be able to buy on the shelf at Home Depot.
但当你想想那包种子里面包含的东西,没错,价值非凡。
But when you think about what is inside of that packet of seeds, I mean, it's Right.
里面蕴含着巨大的价值。
So much value in there.
所以,找到那些真正理解为什么一个地区的人需要掌握这项技能、长期从事这项工作并得到良好支持的人,非常重要。
And so, yeah, finding the folks who really understand why it's important to have people in a region be skilled up to do this work and do it for the long term and be supported well-to-do it.
我觉得你说得对。
I think you're right.
那些就是我们的目标人群。
Those are our those are our people.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道,尤其是当你解释的时候,你的热情很明显——我已经被说服了,但现在你得把这消息传播出去。
You know, there's a and especially because when you're explaining that and and your passion is clear I mean, I'm sold here, but now you've gotta you gotta get that the the word out.
有一种豆子,叫 heirloom beans(传统品种豆子)。
There's a a brand of beans, heirloom beans.
我相信它们总部在加利福尼亚,叫 Rancho Gordo,他们在全美范围内分销。
I I believe they're based here in California called Rancho Gordo, and they distribute around the country.
想加入他们的每月订阅服务,甚至得排队等候。
There's like a waiting list to actually to get on their subscription of the month club or whatever it's called.
他们卖豆子。
They sell beans.
对吧?
Right?
你可以在赛夫韦买到芸豆、利马豆或者鹰嘴豆之类的。
You can go to Safeway and buy pinto beans or lima beans or, you know, chickpeas.
但他们卖这些传统品种,并且声称他们是以一种能让味道更好的方式种植的。
But they, you know, they're they sell these heirloom varieties and and they grow them in a way that they claim and they argue that they taste better.
我吃过。
I've had them.
味道很棒。
They're great.
他们做得非常非常成功。
They have done really, really well.
这是一个值得研究的有趣案例。
And it's an interesting case study to look at.
我强烈建议你去看看Rancho Gordo在做什么,看看能不能借鉴一些他们的理念。
I would really urge you to look at what they're doing at Rancho Gordo and see if you can sort of apply some of those those, you know, those ideas.
是的。
Yeah.
豆类俱乐部。
Bean club.
我觉得我知道几个参与他们豆类俱乐部的人。
I think I know several people who are involved in their bean club.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
祝你好运,凯西。
Good luck to you, Casey.
这家公司的名字叫爱达荷州的蛇河种子合作社。
It the business is called the Snake River Seed Cooperative in Idaho.
谢谢你的来电。
Thanks for calling in.
非常感谢。
Thank you so much.
恭喜。
And congrats.
嗯,埃尔南,很高兴你能来参加我们的节目。
Well, Hernan, it's been awesome to have you on.
而且,你知道,我得提一下,你确实做了很多这类事情。
And, you know, I I should mention, I mean, you do a lot of this.
你是一位投资者,与各种创业者合作。
You're an investor, and you work with all kinds of entrepreneurs.
我的意思是,由于你在媒体领域的专长,你当然为许多大型媒体公司提供咨询,但你也做了大量这种正式和非正式的指导工作。
I mean, you are because of your expertise in media, you, of course, do a lot of consulting with with major companies around media, but you also do a lot of this sort of formal and informal advising.
我主要通过基金进行投资。
I I do I I invest primarily through funds.
我不直接投资于公司。
I don't invest in companies directly.
这些基金在这方面比我要擅长得多。
The funds are better at doing that than I am.
这确实是一份全职工作,但我总是喜欢和创业者讨论他们的挑战和机遇。
It is really a full time job, but I always love talking to entrepreneurs about their challenges and their opportunities.
在我们接触的所有公司和创始人中,叙事是他们摆脱竞争性边际、功能型困境,进而构建企业价值的关键部分。
And in all of the companies that we talk to, all the founders that we talk to today, narrative is a big part of how they get the product away from that competitive margin base, utility base, you know, rut into a place where they can really build enterprise value.
Hernan,在你离开之前,我有个问题想问你。
Hernan, before I let you go, question for you.
如果你现在知道一些事情,而这些事情在你2015年刚创办Wondery时能帮到你,你会给当时的自己什么建议?
If there was something that you now know, right, that you that would have been helpful for you when you were launching Wondery and, you know, when you're thinking about this in 2015, what advice could you have given yourself back then if if you go back in time?
我希望自己能早点开始。
I wish I had started sooner.
当然,不是指这个点子,因为Wondery的时机非常好,但我真希望我早点成为创业者。
Obviously, not that idea because Wondery was very timely, but I wish I'd started as an entrepreneur sooner.
大多数人因为各种原因,花太长时间才迈出这一步。
Most people take too long to make the leap for a number of reasons.
从零到一真的很难,但这段旅程非常值得。
It's really difficult to go from zero to one, but the journey is so rewarding.
一旦你下定决心要提出一个想法并将其转化为产品,你就很难再想回到不想当创业者的状态了。
And once you've got to the conviction that you want to come up with an idea and turn it into a product, it's really difficult to go back to wanting to not not be an entrepreneur.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
For sure.
好了,Hernan,非常感谢你来参加节目。
Well, Hernan, thank you so much for coming
谢谢你能让我再次回到节目中。
back onto the show.
谢谢你邀请我。
Thank you for having me.
能重新联系真是太好了。
Was so great to reconnect.
很高兴你能来。
It's great having you on.
如果你错过了赫尔南的那期节目,或者还没听过,我们会在节目笔记中放上链接。
And if you missed Hernan's episode or you haven't heard it yet, we'll put a link to it in the show notes.
这是一个非常、非常精彩的故事。
It's a really, really good story.
这是我在那次采访中最喜欢的片段之一。
And here is one of my favorite moments from that interview.
我记得到了那个月底,看着损益表,我们的收入大约有一万美元。
I remember looking at the p and l statement by the end of that month, and we had maybe $10,000 in revenue.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你当时有六名员工吗?
And you had a staff of six?
我们有六名员工。
We had a staff of six.
一万美金连这些成本都cover不了吗?
And $10,000 ain't gonna cover those costs?
不行。
Nope.
不行。
No.
根本不够。
They wasn't.
就算我们做到十倍、一百倍,也达不到我原本以为的那样规模的大生意。
Like, even if we get to 10 times this, a 100 times this is not going to be a big business of the scale that I thought that that it would.
我记得当时心想,天哪。
And I remember thinking, oh my god.
我到底干了什么?
What did I do?
嘿。
Hey.
非常感谢您本周收听本节目。
Thanks so much for listening to the show this week.
顺便说一下,请务必关注我的通讯简报。
And by the way, please make sure to check out my newsletter.
您可以在 guyraz.com 或 Substack 上免费订阅。
You can sign up for it for free at guyraz.com or on Substack.
当然,如果您正在经营一项业务并希望登上本节目,请发送一段一分钟的语音留言,向我们简单介绍您的业务以及您目前面临的问题或挑战,因为我们非常乐意帮助您解决这些问题。
And, of course, if you are working on a business and you'd like to be on this show, send us a one minute message that tells us a little bit about your business and the questions or issues that you're currently facing because we would love to try and help you solve them.
您可以通过 hibt@id.Wondery.com 发送语音备忘录,或拨打 1804331298 与我们联系。
You can send us a voice memo at hibt@id.Wondery.com or call us at 1804331298.
请在留言中告诉我们如何联系您,我们也会将所有这些信息放在播客的描述中。
Leave a message there and make sure to tell us how to reach you, and we'll put all of this information in the podcast description as well.
本集节目由凯瑟琳·赛弗制作,音乐由拉姆廷·阿拉布卢伊创作。
This episode was produced by Katherine Sypher with music composed by Ramtin Arablouei.
本集由约翰·伊萨贝拉剪辑,音频工程师为奎西·李。
It was edited by John Isabella and our audio engineer with Kwesi Lee.
我们的制作团队还包括亚历克斯·钟、伊莱恩·库茨、吉尔、伊娃·格兰特、凯西·埃尔南、克里斯·马西尼、萨姆·保尔森、卡丽·汤普森和拉梅尔·伍德。
Our production staff also includes Alex Chung, Elaine Coates, Gill, Eva Grant, Casey Hernan, Chris Massini, Sam Paulson, Carrie Thompson, and Ramel Wood.
我是盖伊·拉兹,您正在收听《我是如何打造这个实验室的》建议热线。
I'm Guy Raz, and you've been listening to the advice line on how I built this lab.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。