本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我在《像最好的投资者一样投资》中经常谈论的一个概念是人生的事业。
Something I speak about frequently on Invest Like The Best is the idea of life's work.
更有趣的一种理解方式是,我在寻找那些带着使命疯狂前行的人。
A more fun way to think about it is that I'm looking for maniacs on a mission.
这正是我们投资公司Positive Sum的基础,也是我对我们的赞助商Ramp如此热情的原因。
This is the basis for our investment firm, Positive Sum, and it's the reason why I'm so enthusiastic about our presenting sponsor, Ramp.
不仅创始人Kareem和Eric是属于人生事业级别的创业者,绝对是带着使命疯狂前行的人,他们还打造了一款产品,通过简化财务运营,帮助创业者和财务团队腾出更多时间去做他们的人生事业,从而节省了每个人最宝贵的资源——时间。
Not only are the founders, Kareem and Eric, life's work level founders, certainly maniacs on a mission, they have created a product that is effectively an unlock for founders and finance team to do more of their life's work by streamlining financial operations, saving everyone their most precious resource, time.
Ramp构建了一个企业信用卡和费用管理的指挥控制系统。
Ramp has built a command and control system for corporate cards and expense management.
你可以在一个平台上发放卡片、管理审批、支付各种供应商款项,甚至自动化完成财务结账。
You can issue cards, manage approvals, make vendor payments of all kinds, and even automate closing your books all in one place.
根据我自己使用Ramp经营业务的经验,这款产品极其直观、简洁,让生活变得轻松太多,以至于你会为任何尚未切换到Ramp的公司感到遗憾。
Speaking from my own experience using Ramp for my business, the product is wildly intuitive, simplistic, and makes life so much easier that you'll feel bad for any company who hasn't yet made the switch.
Ramp团队极其执着,产品也在持续进化,为你节省你从未想过能重新获得的时间。
The Ramp team is relentless, and the product continues to evolve to save you time that you would never have dreamed of getting back.
对我来说,没有什么比那些能降低其他创业者实现他们目标时摩擦力的技术更有趣的了。
To me, there is nothing more interesting than technologies that reduce friction for other entrepreneurs to be able to build the thing that they want to.
太多注意力都集中在云计算、API 以及其他让创业者生活更轻松的方式上。
So much attention has gone to cloud computing, APIs, and other ways of making life easy for founders.
Ramp 所做和正在做的,是在这个领域中再打造一套新的工具。
What Ramp has done and is doing is build yet another set of tools in this category.
要开始使用,请访问 ramp.com。
To get started, go to ramp.com.
卡片由凯尔特银行和萨顿银行发行,均为联邦存款保险公司(FDIC)成员。
Cards issued by Celtic Bank and Sutton Bank, member FDIC.
适用条款和条件。
Terms and conditions apply.
本集《像最好的人一样投资》由 Canalys 赞助。
This episode of Invest Like the Best is sponsored by Canalys.
Canalys 是公共公司数据与分析的领先平台。
Canalys is the leading destination for public company data and analysis.
Canalys 由一位曾在寻找、构建和更新模型时遇到障碍的买方分析师创立,如今已被全球超过400家机构使用,包括最大的资产管理公司以及本节目中的多位嘉宾。
Founded by a former buy side analyst who encountered friction sourcing, building, and updating models, Canalys is now used by over 400 institutions, including the largest money managers globally and by a number of guests on the show.
通过提供详尽的公司特定模型和几乎所有上市公司的数据,Canalys 的客户能够更快上手、即时更新模型,并将最高质量的基本面数据融入任何工作流程。
With detailed company specific models and data on virtually every public company, Canalys clients are able to ramp up faster, update models instantly, and incorporate the highest quality fundamental data into any workflow.
如果你是一名专业股票投资者,但最近没有联系过 Canalys,那你应该给他们打个电话。
If you're a professional equity investor and haven't talked to Canalys recently, you should give them a shout.
了解更多并亲自试用 Canalyst,请访问 canalyst.com/patrick。
Learn more and try Canalyst for yourself at canalyst.com/patrick.
网址是 canalyst.com/patrick。
That's canalyst.com/patrick.
节目结束后,请继续收听关于 Canalyst 新量化产品 Candace 的更多信息。
Stay tuned after the episode to hear more about Canalyst's new quant product, Candace.
本节目由 lemon.io 赞助。
This episode is brought to you by lemon.io.
lemon.io 的团队已建立了一个由东欧开发者组成的网络,随时准备与快速增长的初创公司配对合作。
The team at lemon.io has built a network of Eastern European developers ready to pair with fast growing startups.
我们在为各种项目和Lemon招聘工程人才时遇到了挑战。
We have faced challenges hiring engineering talent for various projects and Lemon.
提供用于一次性项目的开发者、用于完整产品开发的开发者,或可加入现有团队的额外开发者。
Offered developers for one off projects, developers for full start to finish product development, or developers that could be add ons to an existing team.
访问 lemon.io/patrick 了解更多信息。
Check out lemon.io/patrick to learn more.
大家好,欢迎各位。
Hello, and welcome, everyone.
我是帕特里克·奥肖内西,欢迎收听《像最好的投资者一样投资》。
I'm Patrick O'Shaughnessy, and this is Invest Like the Best.
这档节目是对市场、理念、故事和策略的开放式探索,帮助你更好地投资你的时间和金钱。
This show is an open ended exploration of markets, ideas, stories, and strategies that will help you better invest both your time and your money.
《像最好的投资者一样投资》是Colossus播客家族的一员,你可以在 joincolossus.com 上访问我们所有的播客,包括编辑后的文字稿、节目笔记和其他学习资源。
Invest like the best is part of the Colossus family of podcasts, and you can access all our podcasts, including edited transcripts, show notes, and other resources to keep learning at joincolossus.com.
帕特里克·奥肖内西是奥肖内西资产管理公司的首席执行官。
Patrick O'Shaughnessy is the CEO of O'Shaughnessy Asset Management.
帕特里克和播客嘉宾表达的所有观点均为他们个人意见,不代表O'Shaughnessy资产管理公司的立场。
All opinions expressed by Patrick and podcast guests are solely their own opinions and do not reflect the opinion of O'Shaughnessy Asset Management.
本播客仅用于信息目的,不应作为投资决策的依据。
This podcast is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as a basis for investment decisions.
O'Shaughnessy资产管理公司的客户可能持有本播客中讨论的证券。
Clients of O'Shaughnessy Asset Management may maintain positions in the securities discussed in this podcast.
我今天的嘉宾是往期嘉宾加文·贝克,Atrades Management的管理合伙人兼首席投资官。
My guest today is past guest Gavin Baker, managing partner and CIO of Atrades Management.
加文专注于消费和科技领域的成长型投资,这使他成为讨论过去几个月许多成长型股票遭遇重挫的理想人选。
Gavin's focus is on consumer and tech growth investing, which makes him the perfect person to discuss the bloodbath we've seen in many growth equities over the past few months.
我们还探讨了通货膨胀、半导体以及私募市场与公开市场之间的脱节。
We also cover inflation, semiconductors, and the disconnect between private and public markets.
请欣赏与一贯出色的加文·贝克的这场对话。
Please enjoy this conversation with the always great Gavin Baker.
所以加文,这是每十八个月左右一次的常规播客。
So Gavin, here's traditional every eighteen month or so podcast.
很高兴再次和你交谈。
I'm so excited to talk to you again.
市场已经发生了很大变化。
Markets have changed a lot.
我想我们上一次谈话时,市场可能还没到底,但已经非常接近疫情初期的底部了。
I think the last time we talked was not maybe at the bottom, but pretty damn close to the bottom in the beginning of COVID.
当时市场下跌了30%左右,简直疯狂。
Market was off 30% or something crazy like that.
我们确实已经走了很长一段路。
We sure have come a long way.
如果你只看指数水平,这真是一段惊心动魄的旅程。
If you just look at the index levels, it's been a wild, wild ride.
也许我们先从最高层面开始聊起。
Maybe we'll just start at the very highest level.
自从我们上次对话以来,投资感觉怎么样?
What's it been like investing since our last conversation?
以你整个职业生涯来看,你会如何描述这段时期?
How would you characterize the period relative to the rest of your career?
我认为2020年从统计上看,可能是任何主动基金经理在其一生中见过的阿尔法收益最丰富的年份。
Well, I think 2020 was, I mean, statistically, probably the most alpha rich year any active fund manager will see in their lifetime.
新冠疫情从估值角度给你提供了绝佳的机会,同时不同行业和公司之间的基本面差异也极大,主要取决于你是否受益于远程办公、居家工作和在线学习的环境,我很难想象未来还会再看到如此大的分化。
COVID gave you such an opportunity from a valuation perspective, and then there was such massive dispersion in the relative fundamentals of different industries and companies, mostly based on whether or not you benefited from a remote work, work from home, remote schooling environment, it's hard for me to imagine you will see that kind of dispersion again.
我认为,就我个人而言,不一概而论,但2021年对大多数成长型基金经理、科技型基金经理,无论采用何种投资工具,都是相当艰难的一年。
I would say, for me, not to generalize, but I do think it was statistically a very hard year, thousand twenty one, for most growth oriented fund managers, most tech oriented fund managers, whatever the vehicle.
我认为2021年对基金经理来说很艰难,但对整个市场而言却是极佳的一年。
I think 2021 was a tough year, but it was an awesome year for the market.
我最初开始发短信的原因,可能是在过去一周左右,我注意到一个非常奇怪的现象:因为最大的公司基本面和股价持续表现优异,市场一直维持在或接近历史高点,这种情况已经持续很久了。
Probably the reason I originally started texting, I don't know, the last week or something was around this crazy setup where because the largest companies have continued to do very well fundamentally and with their prices, markets like at or near all time highs and kind of has been for a long time.
与此同时,市场中许多高增长板块却一片惨淡。
Meanwhile, there's complete carnage in a lot of the heavier growth parts of the market.
但大多数人感觉不到这一点,因为他们并没有关注这些高增长领域。
And I think most people don't feel it because they're not focused on that growth part.
如果你只是持有广泛的投资组合,我认为人们并没有意识到情况有多糟糕。
If you just have a broad portfolio, I don't think people appreciate how viciously bad it's been.
Peloton和Zoom是疫情期间表现飙升的极端例子,但情况确实惨烈。
Peloton and Zoom is like the extreme examples of, like, high flying COVID names, but it's been brutal.
所以我很想知道对你来说感觉如何。
So curious how it's felt for you.
嗯,感觉非常惨烈。
Well, it's felt brutal.
这些都不是事实。
These are not facts.
这仅仅是一种感觉而已。
This is just kind of the way it feels.
我认为,市值低于1000亿美元的普通科技或消费类成长股,大概都从其历史高点下跌了40%到65%。
I would say probably the average tech or consumer oriented growth stock that's below a $100,000,000,000 in market cap is probably somewhere between 4065% off its all time high.
有些情况,你提到的一些股票,跌幅甚至更大。
Some of the cases, you mentioned some of them, they're off more.
而且,由于基本面持续增长和复利效应,市盈率的压缩幅度远超这一跌幅。
And the multiples have compressed by significantly more than that move because the underlying fundamentals have continued to grow and compound.
你并没有处于2001年或2002年那样的崩盘水平,但对于任何小型或中型市值股票而言,甚至我都不太确定现在什么是大型市值、什么是超大型市值,其底层的崩盘确实非常严重。
You're not at 2001, 2002 level of crash, but it really has been a crash underneath the surface for any small mid cap or I might even say I lose track of what's a large cap, what's a mega cap these days.
但我们就说市值低于1000亿美元的股票,情况确实非常非常痛苦。
But let's just say under a 100,000,000,000, it has been really very, very painful.
市场回报,尤其是纳斯达克指数,主要由少数几只股票主导:谷歌、微软、英伟达和特斯拉。
The market return, particularly for the Nasdaq, was really dominated by a few stocks, Google, Microsoft, Nvidia, Tesla.
你只要把60%以上的投资组合配置在这些股票上,那就是正确的做法。
You just either had 60% plus of your portfolio in those names, which was the right thing to do.
作为专业投资者,你的职责就是做出正确的决策。
As a professional investor, your job is to make the right decisions.
但如果你没有大幅配置在这四到五只股票上,那这一年就会非常非常艰难,这或许正是许多成长型基金经理——无论是长期多头还是对冲基金——在跑赢纳斯达克指数方面表现挣扎的原因。
But if you did not have an overwhelming allocation to those four or five names, it was a very, very hard year, which is I think why a lot of growth fund managers, a lot of whether long only or hedge fund struggled to steer particularly relative to the Nasdaq.
这就是失败。
That's failure.
就是这样。
It just is.
从旁观者的角度看,估值倍数的变化是最令人难以置信的——作为一个广泛分散的量化投资者,我并没有采取重大的主动持仓。
The multiple thing has been kind of the craziest thing to watch from the cheap seats, public markets, pretty broadly diversified quantitative investor, not taking big active positions.
但看看互联网和软件公司的未来十二个月收入倍数或毛利润倍数,这简直是一场疯狂的往返。
But looking at like the next twelve months revenue multiple or gross profit multiple or whatever on Internet stocks and software stocks, it's a crazy round trip.
你刚才说,这是一份每年都会被明确评分的工作。
You just said it like this is a job where you're evaluated very clearly on a scoreboard every year.
在你的投资过程中,你是如何思考估值倍数的?
How do you think about multiples in your investing process?
很多人喜欢口头推崇买入那些能长期复利增长的伟大企业。
A lot of people like to pay lip service to, you know, buying great businesses that compound over time.
但实际的主旋律却是估值倍数的收缩与扩张。
But but multiple contraction expansion has been the story.
所以如果你没押中这些股票,就像你说的,去年就过得很惨。
So if you didn't heat it, you, like you said, had a very bad year last year.
那么,您如何描述您对市盈率的看法?它们经历了什么,以及未来会走向何方?
So how would you describe the way that you think about multiples, what they've done and kind of where they're going?
我是一个自由现金流投资者。
I am a devita free cash flow investor.
我的意思是,如果非要从市盈率的角度选一个唯一的真实依据,那至少对我来说,这就是我的唯一依据。
I mean, I do think that if you're gonna pick a single source of truth from a multiples perspective, that's at least my single source of truth.
市盈率已经大致回到了2018年的水平。
Multiples have kind of round tripped back to, I'd say, broadly speaking, 2,018 levels.
我发现这相当令人鼓舞,因为在2018年,国债收益率是3%。
And I find that pretty encouraging because in 2018, the tenure was at 3%.
那时你已经深陷始于2016年的大幅紧缩周期之中。
You were already deep, deep into a massive tightening cycle that began in 2016.
因此,如今许多公司的市盈率已经处于或低于2018年的低谷水平,这确实让我感到鼓舞。
And so now you have companies that are at or, in some cases, well below their trough multiples from 2018, and I do find that encouraging.
但确实,从未来展望的角度来看,我们现在的水平已经和2018年持平甚至更低,而那时利率还更高,这让我感到非常乐观。
But, yeah, I do find it encouraging from a go forward perspective that we're already where we were or below where we were in 2018 when rates were higher.
你正处于更深的紧缩周期中。
You're much deeper in a tightening cycle.
我认为这些分析中忽略了一点,那就是你看到今天的倍数与那时相比时,这些公司的状况好得多。
And I think one thing that is missed in these analyses that you kinda see whether, you know, multiples today versus then is these companies are much better.
K。
K.
因此,软件公司的倍数回到了2018年的水平,但如今的软件公司增长更快,总体而言利润率也更高。
So software multiples are back to where they were in '18, but software companies today are growing faster and broadly speaking have better margins.
许多互联网公司也是如此。
Same thing with a lot of the Internet companies.
这些行业在现金生成方面持续成熟,但在增长方面并未真正成熟。
These industries have continued to mature from a cash generation perspective, but they're not really maturing from a growth perspective.
尽管我认为我们必须明确区分软件和互联网。
Although I do think we have to really separate software and Internet.
我认为许多互联网公司在即将到来的财报季中可能会令人失望。
I think a lot of Internet companies are likely to disappoint in this upcoming earnings season.
这些股票有大量的遥测数据,比如应用下载量、网站流量和信用卡数据。
There is reasonable telemetry into a lot of these stocks between app downloads, web traffic, credit card data.
许多公司在疫情期间的业绩远超趋势水平,而现在正在回归正常,这令人痛苦。
A lot of these companies, COVID took them to a place that was way above trend, and now that's normalizing, that's painful.
而软件领域并没有这种同样的动态。
Whereas software, you don't have that same dynamic.
也许之前有轻微的提前消费,但我认为软件公司不会像许多这类中小市值互联网公司那样出现广泛的疲软。
Maybe there was a little bit of pull forward, but I don't think you're going to have broad based weakness in software companies that you're going see in a lot of these kind of SMID cap internet names.
顺便说一句,天啊,如果这些中小市值互联网公司出问题就糟了,因为其中一些已经变得非常、非常、非常便宜。
And by the way, God forbid, some of these SMID cap internet names don't mess because some of them have gotten really, really, really, really cheap.
优质的好企业。
Good, high quality businesses.
你必须度过这次并购浪潮。
You've got to work through this takeover.
但我认为,软件和互联网在基本面层面的处境截然不同,更不用说半导体了。
But I think support, I think software and the Internet are in pretty different places fundamentally, let alone semiconductors.
这些是科技领域的三大子行业。
And those are kind of the three big subsectors of tech.
如果我们九、十或十一个月前聊过,当时的局面 arguably 可能不会这么理想。
If we had talked, I don't know, nine, ten, eleven months ago, the setup arguably would not have been nearly as good.
谁知道那时我们会怎么说呢?
Who knows what we would have said then?
也许我们会觉得市盈率会继续扩张。
Maybe we would have thought the multiples would just continue to expand.
但今天,毫无疑问,就像你所说的,它们的估值已经处于或低于2018年的水平。
But today, undoubtedly, like you said, they're at or below their twenty eighteen levels.
这些企业的基本面更好了。
The businesses are better.
因此,很自然地,在半导体、软件和互联网这三大子行业里,出现了更多有趣的投资机会。
So, it stands to reason sort of that there's more interesting opportunities set in those three major subsectors of semis, software and Internet.
我想稍后再回到这些话题。
I want to come back to those in a minute.
在那之前,我想和你对齐一下,相对于我们上次谈话时(当时显然是全都在谈疫情),你现在最关注的市场、经济或世界上的哪些因素?
Before we do that, I'd love to level set with the things in the market or the economy or the world that you're most carefully interested in and watching relative to the last time we talked when obviously it was sort of all COVID.
但自那以后,世界已经发生了很大变化。
But the world has changed a lot since then.
我们已经逐渐适应了疫情。
We're sort of settled into COVID.
通胀已经成为一个主导性主题。
Inflation has become a dominant theme.
除了个别公司之外,哪些主题最吸引你的注意,你认为从现在开始对整体市场回报最重要?
What are the themes that outside of just individual companies have your interest most that you think most matter for general market returns from this point forward?
对我来说,通胀是唯一重要的事情。
I think for me, inflation is the only thing that matters.
我认为很多人把注意力都放在了美联储身上。
And I think there's a lot of focus on the fed.
在我看来,美联储有点像是旁支话题。
To me, the fed is a little bit of a sideshow.
我经历过很多次美联储加息周期。
I've lived through a lot of fed tightening cycles.
关于股市在加息周期中的表现,已经有很多出色的研究。
There's a lot of great work that's been done on how equities do.
通常情况下,股市会上涨。
Generally, stocks are up.
实际上,我认为从大约二十五年前开始的每一次加息周期,股市在首次加息后十二个月都会上涨。
I actually think at every tightening cycle dating back something like twenty five years, stocks are up twelve months after the first rate hike.
顺便说一下,股市上涨的原因是,市场通常会在首次加息前下跌,因为市场具有前瞻性。
By the way, the reason they're up is they generally sell off into the first rate hike because the market is anticipatory.
而且每个人都了解这些研究,事情发生得更快了。
And everybody sees these studies, Things happen faster.
随着时间推移,市场变得越来越具有前瞻性。
The market is becoming even more anticipatory over time.
这次美联储加息周期的不同之处在于,你刚刚经历了四十年来最高的CPI数据。
What's different about this Fed tightening cycle is you just had the highest CPI print in forty years.
我认为在犯过的错误中,我确实对鲍威尔的任命反应不足。
I do think in terms of mistakes I made, I really under reacted to Powell's appointment.
我不是那种盲目看涨增长的人。
I'm not somebody who's mindlessly bullish on growth.
我会说,从2020年到2021年4月,我对高市盈率的成长股非常谨慎。
I would say I was very cautious, high multiple growth stocks from probably the 2020 to April 2021.
我写了一篇长文发布在Medium上,解释我为何变得更为乐观。
Wrote this big piece on Medium explaining why I was getting more positive.
那实在太早了,但许多股票即使在五月时,其市盈率也已经下调了60%以上。
That was way too early, but a lot of those stocks, even back in May, their multiples had already corrected 60% plus.
我们消化了市场一次相当大的波动。
We digested a pretty big move in the tidier.
鲍威尔被连任,显然被赋予了压倒通胀的明确使命。
Powell was reappointed clearly, clearly with a mandate to crush inflation.
市场对此理解得很到位。
The market got that right.
我的意思是,市场立刻就明白了。
The market I mean, it was right away.
市场在鲍威尔被任命时就做出了反应。
The data Powell was appointed.
这是一场市场根本性的转变,并一直持续到今天。
That was a sea change in the market that has persisted through today.
我认为不同之处在于这个7%的CPI数据。
And I think just what's different is this 7% CPI number.
如果你想想是什么驱动市场,就像股票一样,归根结底就是盈利和估值倍数。
And if you think about what drives the market, just like stocks, it just comes down to earnings and multiples.
流动性驱动估值倍数,GDP增长驱动盈利增长。
Liquidity drives the multiples and GDP growth drives earnings growth.
美联储因为通胀达到7%,我认为这就是这次抛售如此剧烈的原因,因为这与以往任何一次都不同。
The fed, because inflation is at 7%, I think that's why this sell off has been so severe, just because this is different than any professional.
我的意思是,也许有些人像沃伦·巴菲特在1982年那样投资过。
I mean, maybe there's some people who were I guess Warren Buffett was investing in 1982.
好的。
Okay.
也许有少数几个在1982年就从事专业投资和积极投资的人,但人数不多。
Maybe there are a couple of people who were professional investors and active investors in 1982, but not many.
他是一个自下而上的投资者。
As It's a bottoms up investor.
你确实需要对宏观有所了解,我认为通胀有两个方面。
You do kind of have to be macro aware, and I think there's two parts to inflation.
第一个是供应链驱动的,也就是大家都知道的商品短缺,港口堆满了船只。
The first one is supply chain driven, the shortage of goods everybody's read about, ships stacked up at the port.
我们无法获得足够的半导体来制造汽车。
We can't get enough semiconductors to make cars.
我对这个问题非常淡定。
I am so relaxed about that.
我很少会对这样的事情有明确的看法。
It is very rare for me to have a view on something like that.
我只是认为,我们现在拥有数百年的历史,而资本主义在解决问题方面非常出色。
I just think we now have hundreds of years of history, and capitalism is amazing at solving problems.
它太厉害了,我们已经看到了巨大的供应反应。
It is so good, and we have seen a massive supply response.
这是一个统计数据。
This is a statistic.
我今天早上刚刚运行了这个数据。
I actually just ran this this morning.
亚马逊在资本支出上花费了更多钱。
Amazon has spent more money on CapEx.
这仅仅是为了说明。
And this is just illustrative.
这并不是对亚马逊的评论。
It's not a comment on Amazon.
只是对供应反应的评论。
Just a comment on the supply response.
在过去两年里,他们在资本支出上的投入超过了之前二十年的总和。
They have spent more money on CapEx in the last two years than they did in the preceding twenty years.
疯狂。
Insane.
想想看。
Think about that.
从1999年到2019年,他们在资本支出上花费了620亿美元。
From 1999 to 2019, they spent $62,000,000,000 on CapEx.
他们将在2020年和2021年花费870亿美元。
They're going spend $87,000,000,000 in 2020 and 2021.
而且这并不是说我逐一对每一年的资本化租赁进行了细致调整。
And That is no, I did not go through and nerdily adjust every year for capitalized leases.
明白吗?
Okay?
这可能让情况显得更惊人,也可能没那么惊人,但无论如何,这都太疯狂了。
And maybe it makes it more striking, maybe it makes it less striking, but either way, it's crazy.
台积电2022年的资本支出将是2019年的许多倍。
Taiwan Semi, their 2022 CapEx is going to be many multiples of 2019.
2021年和2022年,他们的支出将超过过去五年的总和。
Thousand twenty one and 2022, they'll spend more than they did in the preceding five years.
因此,将出现巨大的供应响应。
So there is a massive supply response coming.
我们知道经济正在放缓。
We know that the economy is slowing.
我们从信用卡数据和零售销售额中得知这一点,政府报告显示,今年增长了16%。
We know it from credit card data, retail sales, which the government reports, they're up 16% for the year.
十一月持平,十二月下降了2%。
They're flat in November, down two in December.
然后亚特兰大联储有一个他们称之为“GDP现在”的指标,十一月是10,十二月是5。
And then the Atlanta Fed does this thing they call the GDP now, and that was 10 in November, five in December.
因此,经济正在迅速放缓。
So the economy is slowing rapidly.
因此,在美联储开始撤走酒杯之前,我们面临着巨大的供给反应和迅速放缓的经济。
So got this massive supply response, an economy rapidly slowing before the Fed begins to take away the punch bowl.
我认为,消费者支出将从商品大幅转向服务,迎来一次真正巨大的转变。
I think you're about to have a truly massive shift in consumer spending away from goods towards services.
如果你进行趋势分析并观察实际个人消费支出,商品支出比疫情前的趋势线高出约5000亿美元。
If you trend out and look at real personal consumption expenditures, goods spending is roughly $500,000,000,000 above the pre COVID trend line.
服务支出则比趋势线低5000亿美元。
Services spending is 500,000,000,000 below the trend line.
这种转变,加上奥密克戎变异株——在我看来,这标志着新冠疫情作为日常生活投资因素的终结。
That shift, Omicron, is probably the end of COVID, to me as a factor for investing for daily life.
因此,我认为经济最终将恢复正常。
So I do think the economy will finally normalize.
当供给反应出现、经济放缓,同时支出从商品转向服务时,我认为所有这些通胀都会消失。
When you have the supply response, meaning a slowing economy, and a shift away from goods towards services, I just think all of that inflation goes away.
高盛做了这项分析。
Goldman did this analysis.
汽车占核心通胀超调的一半,主要是二手车价格。
Auto is accounted for half of the overshoot in core inflation, used auto prices.
它们之前长期保持平稳,然后在十八个月内上涨了50%。
They're kind of flat for forever, and then they went up 50% in eighteen months.
所有这些都会消失。
All that goes away.
也许不会消失。
Maybe it doesn't.
我想保持适当的谦逊,但我认为这些因素极有可能全部消失。
I want to be appropriately humble, but I think highly likely that all that is going to go away.
如果它们没有消失,那好吧,我就彻底错了。
If it doesn't go away, well, okay, I'm going to be horribly, horribly wrong.
我认为二战后的这段时期对此很有参考意义。
I do think this post World War II period is an interesting get along for this.
当时CPI上涨了20%,主要是因为出现了巨大的繁荣。
You had a 20% CPI basically because there is a huge boom.
擅长制造坦克和战斗机的工厂并不擅长生产其他任何东西。
Factories really good at making tanks and fighter jets are not good at making anything else.
出现了供应响应,消费者价格指数随即回落。
There was a supply response, and CPI went right back down.
因此,我认为这一部分肯定会恢复正常。
And so I think for that component, that is for sure going to normalize.
我认为另一点是工资通胀。
I think the other thing is wage inflation.
这是一些在经济中前所未有的现象。
And this is something where there are things happening in the economy that have literally never happened before.
比如,以前失业找工作的人比工作岗位还多。
Like, the ratio, there's more unemployed people looking for work than there are job openings.
现在工作岗位比找工作的人还多。
Now there's more job openings than there are people looking for work.
岗位空缺与失业人数的比例达到了历史最高水平。
The ratio of job openings to unemployed hit an all time high.
发生了一些前所未有的事情。
Something happened that's never happened before.
我认为重要的是,要以开放的心态去思考这个问题。
I think it's important to, like, think about it with an open mind.
好吧,就是这样。
And it's like, okay.
为什么?
Why?
为什么会发生这种情况?
Why has this happened?
首先,自新政以来,我们经历了大规模的刺激措施。
Well, point number one, we had massive stimulus since the New Deal.
除此之外,我们还经历了一次债务豁免。
And on top of that, we had a debt jubilee.
我认为我们并没有真正完全理解这次债务豁免的威力。
And I don't think we really fully understand how powerful that debt jubilee was.
我们基本上说,你们不用付房租,学生贷款免除,驱逐禁令,所有这些措施。
We basically said, You don't have to pay rent, student loan forgiveness, eviction moratoriums, all this stuff.
你拥有了所有这些。
You had all of that.
有很多超过62岁的人离开了劳动力市场。
You had people, a lot of people over the age of 62 left the workforce.
我认为其中一部分原因是,人们可能接受了公司提供的自愿离职方案,我确信这些公司后来后悔了,但我也认为必须承认人们的行为是理性的。
And I think part of that is people probably took these voluntary buyouts that companies, I'm sure they wish they had not given in the 2020, that I do think you have to give people credit for being rational.
归根结底,如果你60岁,新冠比你40岁时更可怕。
At the end of the day, COVID is much scarier if you're 60 than if you're 40.
说起来有点难过,我今年40岁。
Sad to say I'm 40.
所以有很多人退休了。
So you had a lot of people retire.
而且我认为,由于远程学习,许多双收入家庭变成了单收入家庭。
And then I also think you had a lot of people who, because of remote learning, a lot of two income households went to one income households.
所有这些都在恢复正常。
All of that is normalizing.
债务豁免已经结束。
The debt jubilee is over.
刺激措施正在消退。
Stimulus is fading.
消费者储蓄开始减少。
Consumer savings are beginning to draw down.
我认为在奥密克戎之后,孩子们能够持续返校上课。
I do think after Omicron, kids are going to be able to sustainably go back to school.
所以很多这些措施都在消退,真的,真的,谁知道呢?
So a lot of that stuff is fading, really, really, who knows?
如果工资通胀是持久的,我认为这对市场意味着非常糟糕的结果。
If wage inflation is here to stay, I think it means very bad things for the market.
就这么简单。
It's just that simple.
我的意思是,总的来说,这大概不会持续下去。
I mean, I think on balance, it's probably not here to stay.
这些全球化的力量实在太强大了。
These forces of globalization, they're just too powerful.
我不确定躺平运动会持续下去。
I'm not sure that the idler movement is here to stay.
在你有债务豁免和大量储蓄的时候当个躺平者是一回事。
It's one thing to be an idler while you have a debt jubilee and a lot of savings.
但当你把这些都消耗殆尽时,那就是另一回事了。
It's another thing when you burn all of that down.
但我只是觉得保持谦逊很重要。
But I just think it's important to be humble.
每当你谈论预测未来时,都应该保持谦逊。
Anytime you're talking about forecasting the future, you want to be humble.
几千年来,人们一直在尝试这样做,但都失败了。
People have been trying to do it for thousands of years unsuccessfully.
归根结底,这就是基本面投资的本质。
At the end of the day, that is what fundamental investing is.
你是在预测未来。
You are forecasting the future.
你对未来的看法与众不同。
You have a differential opinion on the future.
就此打住。
Full stop.
人们不愿意承认这一点,但事实就是如此。
People don't like to admit that, but that is what it is.
为单个公司做预测已经很难了,而为整个经济做预测则难上加难,因为全球经济是世界上最复杂、最混沌的系统,对初始条件高度敏感,互动难以预测。
As hard as that is to do for individual companies, it's way harder to do for the entire economy, which is the world's most complex chaotic system, high sensitivity to initial conditions, unpredictable interactions.
我所说的每一句话,都请以此为前提加以理解。
Everything I am saying, I want to caveat it with that.
帕特里克,我之前有没有跟你说过我的两个例子?如果你听过就告诉我,但我一直觉得美联储雇用的博士经济学家比任何人都多。
I don't know if I've given you my two examples before, Patrick, and feel free to stop me if I have, but like I always think about the Fed, Federal Reserve, they employ more PhD economists than anyone.
他们拥有的经济信息比任何人都多,远远超过任何人,而且拥有强大的计算能力,却依然无法准确预测超过六个月的经济走势。
They have more information on the economy than anyone, way more information than anyone, but they have vast amounts of computing power, and they have no ability to forecast the economy more than six months.
所以,第一,我远没有他们聪明;第二,我拥有的信息少得多,计算能力也远远不足。
And so, A, I'm way less smart B, I have way less information, certainly have less computing power.
曾经有一封信,一篇发表在《华尔街日报》上的评论文章,写于2010年至2012年之间的某个时候。
There was a letter written, an op ed written in The Wall Street Journal, either somewhere between 2010 and 2012.
我认为当时世界上大多数的经济学博士都签署了这封信。
And I think a majority of the world's PhD economists signed it.
所有你所能想到的著名宏观投资者都签了名。
Every famous macro investor you can think of signed it.
但信中的核心意思是:嘿,本,本·伯南克,你根本不知道自己在做什么。
But it basically said, hey, Ben, Ben Bernanke, you have no idea what you're doing.
这种量化宽松政策将引发大规模通货膨胀。
This quantitative easing is going to cause massive inflation.
这会毁掉美国。
It's going to ruin America.
你会引发恶性通货膨胀。
You're going bring about hyperinflation.
这将毁掉美国。
It's going to be the ruin of of America.
他们完全错了。
They were dead wrong.
错得离谱。
Horribly wrong.
我记得那篇社论很清楚,这确实是个很好的提醒,说明这些东西预测起来极其困难。
I remember that op ed really well, and it's such a good point to, like, caveat that this stuff is incredibly hard to predict.
但我认为甚至更有趣的是,我们假设它真的发生了。
But I think maybe even more interesting is let's just assume it comes to pass.
预测是一回事,但影响是另一回事,也许我们能比预测未来更清晰地解释它。
So predicting is one thing, but the impact is another that maybe we can explain more coherently than we can forecast the future.
我只是好奇,你怎么看待工资通胀对市场造成的负面影响。
I'm just curious how you think about the ways in which wage inflation is bad for the market.
从宏观层面看,这似乎显而易见,但也许并不明显,背后可能蕴含着许多细微之处。
It seems at a top level kind of obvious, but maybe it's not obvious and maybe there's a lot of nuance behind how you think about it.
所以请你详细解释一下。
So just walk us through that.
为什么平均而言,如果工资通胀严重,会对股市不利呢?
Like, why on average should it be bad for stocks if there's lot of wage inflation?
这其实非常非常简单,我对此写过文章。
So it is very, very simple, and I've written about this.
关于这个问题的最佳见解来自巴菲特,这是一种第一性原理的思考方式。
The best thinking on this comes from Buffett, and it is first principles thinking.
如果你仔细听巴菲特和查理·芒格的说法,他们的很多观点本质上是:股票的长期回报应当与其净资产收益率相近,这在很多方面都说得通,主要与再投资和简单的杜邦分析公式有关。
So Buffett and Charlie Munger, if you listen to what they say, lot of it is basically a long term return of an equity should approximate its return on equity, which makes sense for a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with reinvestment, simple DuPont equation.
因此,今天我们可能会说投入资本回报率(ROIC),而不是净资产收益率(ROE)。
And so then you can think of today, we would say ROIC, not ROE.
沃伦·巴菲特在20世纪70年代写过一篇精彩的文章,那是我读过的关于通胀为何对股市有害的最深刻分析。
Warren Buffett wrote this amazing article in the 1970s that is by far the best thinking I've ever read on why inflation is bad for the stock market.
股市表现不佳的原因在于,你可以回到杜邦公式来看:通货膨胀,假设每个人都根据其投入成本来提高价格。
And the reason it is bad for the stock market, and you kind go back to the DuPont formula, is that inflation, let's just say everybody just takes price increases in line with whatever their input costs are.
因此,他们的利润率保持不变,但通货膨胀最终会推高你的资产基数,从而压低你的净资产收益率或投资资本回报率。
So their margins stay the same, but inflation ultimately inflates your asset base, and so that depresses your ROE or your ROIC.
因此,你的预期回报率就会下降。
So thereby, your expected return goes down.
更糟糕的是,作为股权投资者,你真正关心的是你的投资组合——你的股权组合的净资产收益率或投资资本回报率,与政府债券收益率之间的差距。
It's even worse because at some level, you really care about as an equity investor is the gap between the ROE or the ROIC of your portfolio, your equity portfolio, relative to the yield on government bonds.
因此,在通货膨胀环境下,这一差距显然会显著扩大。
So that obviously gets way worse in an inflationary environment.
这实际上让我对长期增长和技术充满信心。
That actually gives me a great deal of comfort about secular growth and technology.
我认为这可能是我现在如此看多的一个原因,尽管我肯定为时过早,总是太早。
I think it's probably one reason I am right now as bullish, and I'm sure I'm early, always early.
我沉迷于52周新低股票名单。
I am addicted to the fifty two week low list.
好吗?
Okay?
我无法阻止自己在下跌时买入。
I cannot stop myself from buying weakness.
我几乎总是对动量持负向头寸。
I almost always have a negative exposure to momentum.
在某些方面,我的思维方式与许多其他成长型投资者不同。
I'm wired differently in some ways than a lot of other growth investors.
我总是早早买入。
I always buy early.
我总是早早卖出,真希望我不是这样。
I always sell early, and I wish I weren't that way.
但我百分之百如此。
But I am 100%.
我认为,如果从第一性原理出发,每个人都会做这样的分析。
I do think if you think about that from first principles, everyone does this analysis.
他们回顾20世纪70年代,发现科技板块是那十年表现最差的行业。
They look back to the 1970s, and tech was one of the worst performing sectors in the seventies.
嗯,70年代的科技公司与今天的科技公司毫无关联。
Well, tech companies in the '70s had nothing to do with tech companies today.
它们实际上是资产密集型公司。
They were really asset heavy companies.
它们制造产品。
They made stuff.
它们的每位员工产生的毛利润相对较低。
They had relatively low gross profit dollars per employee.
我认为真正应该关注的指标是每位员工的收入、毛利润和自由现金流。
I do think that is a metric to really focus on revenue and gross profit dollar and free cash flow per employee.
当然,在巴菲特的框架下,它们表现不佳。
Of course, they did badly in this Buffett framework.
如今的科技公司则非常轻资产。
Today, tech companies, they're super asset light.
它们拥有最高的资本回报率。
They have the highest ROICs.
它们具有强大的定价能力。
They have massive pricing power.
总体而言,这个行业的每美元毛利润或自由现金流所对应的员工数量可能是最低的。
Got probably, broadly speaking, a sector, the lowest of employees per dollar of gross profit or free cash flow.
我不认为科技行业未来的表现会像七十年代那样。
I don't think tech will perform going forward the way it did in the seventies.
从基本原理的角度来看,我认为它们应该是表现最好的公司之一。
And I think from a first principles perspective, they should be some of the companies that do the best.
我并不是盲目看多科技行业。
I'm not mindlessly bullish on tech.
比如,我会经历一些时期,对科技和成长股非常谨慎。
Like, I go through periods where I'm so cautious on tech and growth.
但今天,我会说,我对这些股价下跌了60%到70%的公司,看法比以往任何时候都更乐观,而且在某些情况下,盈利预测仍在持续上调。
But today, I would say I'm as bullish as I've ever been on these names that are down 60 to 70%, where in some cases, the estimates continue to be revised up.
你们的估值倍数低于2018年时的水平。
You're trading at multiples below where you were back in 2018.
你看。
And look.
如果我们持续面临工资通胀,所有股票都将陷入困境。
If we do have persistent wage inflation, all equities are in a world of pain.
但从相对角度来看,我认为在未来十二到十八个月里,许多中型科技股的表现有望优于市场整体。
But just on a relative basis, I think from here, looking out twelve to eighteen months, a lot of these mid cap tech names are going to be a reasonably good place to be relative to the market.
我唯一要补充的注意事项是,我更倾向于那些能产生自由现金流的公司。
The only caveat I would add is I do have a big bias towards the ones that generate free cash flow.
我认为现在正在发生的一件事,上周首次出现了一些变化,过去它们的下跌总是高度相关。
I think one thing that's actually happening today and a little bit last week for the first time, it used to be correlation one, sell offs.
过去,所有市销率在10到15倍以上的股票都会同等幅度下跌。
Every name over 10 or 15 times, even sales was down the same amount.
但现在市场正在分化,从上周开始,市场开始关注自由现金流,因为一些公司的自由现金流收益率已达2%、3%或4%,展望2023年。
Well, you're seeing the market differentiate today and starting last week around free cash flow because some of these names are at two or three or a 4% free cash flow yield looking out to 2023.
这与你在2023年仍在烧钱的情况截然不同。
And that's very different than if you're still burning cash in '23.
所以我认为,这么说其实挺令人鼓舞的。
So I am I do think that's kind of an encouraging thing to say.
但你看,如果工资通胀持续存在,基本上人们会做两种计算来让自己对利率感觉好一些。
But look, it's like if wage inflation is here to stay, basically, there are these two calculations that everybody does to make them feel better about rates.
一种是利率大幅高于平均房贷利率时,会对美国消费者造成什么影响,因为你有大量可调整利率的抵押贷款会重新定价。
One is what it will do to the American consumer if rates go significantly above the average mortgage rate because you do have all these adjustable mortgages that reset.
这几乎会自动引发一场大规模衰退。
It will almost semi automatically cause a massive recession.
所以人们认为这是一个制约因素。
So people think that that's one governor.
另一个制约因素当然是,美国政府最终在某种程度上掌控着这一切。
Other governor, of course, is the fact that the US government at the end of the day is at some level in control of all of this.
他们正在维持巨额赤字。
They're running a massive deficit.
因此,通过提高利率,他们也在提高自己的借贷成本。
So by raising rates, they're raising their own borrowing costs.
我认为每个人都看这些因素,觉得十年期利率不可能超过2.5%、2.75%或3.25%。
I think everybody looks at those things and thinks, oh, well, the ten year can't go above two and a half or 2.75 or 3.25.
每个人都会以不同的方式做这些计算。
Everybody does these calculations in different ways.
我的观点是,如果工资通胀持续存在,所有这些计算都将失效。
My point is all those calculations go out the window if wage inflation is here to stay.
我认为,如果工资通胀持续存在且所有这些净资产收益率开始压缩,整体股市可能会承受更多痛苦。
I think you could have more pain for broad equity markets if wage inflation is here to stay and all these ROEs begin to compress.
但我对这些中型成长型科技股还是感觉相对乐观。
But I do feel reasonably okay about these mid cap growth tech names.
你已经承受了估值倍数和终值的痛苦。
You've already taken the pain on the multiple, the terminal value.
现在,在许多情况下,你已经回到了一个相当合理的水平。
Now you're, in many cases, back to a pretty reasonable place.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
它们的相对基本面应该是最好的。
Their relative fundamentals should be the best.
在短期内,由于经济放缓以及我们讨论的所有因素,而在十二到十八个月的短期时间内,相对基本面通常驱动相对表现。
In short timeframes, because of the economy slowing and everything we talked about, and in short, twelve to eighteen months timeframes, relative fundamentals generally drive relative performance.
我很想深入探讨一下这个大趋势背后的细节。
I'd love to dive in a little bit just underneath that big trend.
你提到了半导体、软件和互联网这三个子行业。
You mentioned the three subsectors of semis, software, Internet.
也许我们还可以讨论第四个类别,即目前已成为综合性企业的五大或十大科技公司。
Maybe we could also talk about a fourth category, which is the big five or the big 10 technology companies that are sort of conglomerates at this point.
也许我们可以先从半导体开始。
Maybe we'll start with semis.
我过去已经跟你聊过这个话题。
You know, I've talked to you about this in the past.
我对半导体行业完全着迷。
I'm just totally fascinated by the semiconductor industry.
我知道这是你起步的地方,从你职业生涯开始以来你就一直关注这个行业。
I know this is where you cut your teeth a lot, followed it since its beginning and since the start of your career.
两年前,很多人还没听说过台积电,但现在由于各种原因,更多人知道了——不仅仅是短缺和供应链的重要性,还有地缘政治因素。
A lot of people had never heard of Taiwan Semiconductor two years ago, and I think a lot more people have now for a variety of reasons, not just the shortages and the importance of supply chain, but also the geopolitical stuff.
请谈谈你对当前半导体行业的看法,这一子领域在科技行业中有哪些变化和关键点,毕竟它在第一季度如此重要。
Walk us through your take on semis today and what's evolved and what matters in that subsector in tech since it's such a Q1.
让我们退一步,回顾一下过去十五年半导体行业的发展。
Let's step back and look at the last fifteen years of STEMIs.
这个行业已经完全整合,如今几乎每个领域都形成了垄断或准垄断、双头垄断的局面。
The industry has completely consolidated to where you almost have these monopolies and almost monopolies are duopolies.
在半导体的每个细分领域,你要么面对垄断,要么是双头垄断,最差的情况也是三家寡头垄断。
In every sector of semis, you either have a monopoly, duopoly, or in the worst case, an oligopoly of three.
就连半导体公司的设备供应商,也都是垄断或双头垄断的局面。
And then even their suppliers to capital equipment companies, they're all either monopolies to duopolies.
因此,在过去十五到二十年里,这个行业经历了前所未有的高度整合,这种整合本不该被允许发生。
So the industry is massively consolidated over the last fifteen to twenty years in a way that maybe should have never been allowed to happen.
事实上,这些市场之所以如此,有很多原因。
Although the fact is that a lot of these markets, they do for a lot of reasons.
它们主要得益于软件代码的网络效应和规模经济。
They do mostly because of network effects around software code and in economies of scale.
它们往往趋向于形成垄断。
They do tend towards being a monopoly.
垄断或双头垄断。
A monopoly or duopoly.
在基带领域,存在双头垄断。
So in basebands, there's a duopoly.
在CPU领域,存在双头垄断。
CPUs, there's a duopoly.
在GPU领域,存在双头垄断。
GPUs, there's a duopoly.
现在由于英特尔进入该行业,变成了寡头垄断。
Now it's an oligopoly because Intel is entering that industry.
内存方面,NAND和DRAM都属于寡头垄断。
Memory, it's an oligopoly for both NAND and DRAM.
模拟芯片领域,几乎逐个部件来看,通常都是双头垄断。
Analog, almost part by part, it's generally a duopoly.
FPGA也是如此。
Same thing for FPGA.
因此,这是一个高度集中和整合的行业。
So it's a very consolidated concentrated industry.
我认为,需求已经结构性上升。
And you have had demand, I think, structurally shift up.
这一直是一个长期增长的行业。
This has always been a secular growth industry.
它一直以全球GDP的1.5到略高于两倍的速度增长。
It's always grown, I call it, between 1.5 to low twos multiple of GDP, global GDP.
所以,它一直是一个长期增长的行业,但这个乘数已经上升了。
So, it's always been a secular growth industry, but that multiplier shifted up.
它之所以上升, broadly speaking,是因为人工智能。
The reason it shifted up is, broadly speaking, because of artificial intelligence.
人类在编写软件代码时,会付出很大努力来最小化资源使用,至少优秀的程序员会这样做,比如计算和内存资源。
Human beings, when they write software code, they make a big effort to minimize their use of, at least good programmers do, use of resources like compute and memory.
在云计算出现之前,你必须有一个预算限制,只能使用有限的内存和存储空间。
You used to have to have a budget you had to work with before the dates of cloud computing, Only so much memory and only so much storage.
云计算彻底打破了这种限制,而人工智能则恰恰相反。
The way cloud computing can throw that all out the window, and AI is just the inverse.
提升人工智能性能的方法就是用更多的数据来训练它。
The way you make AI better is you train it on more data.
就是这样。
That's it.
其实就这么简单。
It's really just that simple.
这里有一个非常好的经验法则,微软十年前——或者可能是十二年前——在一篇研究论文中就提到过。
And there's just a really good rule of thumb, and Microsoft wrote about this in a research paper ten years ago, or maybe not twelve years ago.
给定AI算法的质量会随着训练数据量增加十倍而翻倍。
The quality of a given AI algorithm doubles with every 10x increase in the amount of data you use to train that algorithm.
马克·安德森十年前写过一篇评论文章,称软件正在吞噬世界。
Marc Andreessen wrote this op ed, whatever it was, ten years ago about how software is eating the world.
现在,人工智能正在吞噬软件。
Now AI is eating software.
这意味着世界正变得越来越依赖计算能力和半导体。
That just means that the world is getting much, much more compute and semiconductor intensive.
此外,归根结底,汽车是一个巨大的消费市场。
Then on top of that, you have all these at the end of the day, cars are a massive, massive consumer market.
随着汽车转变为电动车以及下一代电动车,汽车中的半导体含量正在急剧增长。
And as those become EVs and next EVs, the semiconductor content for car is really exploding.
将这两点结合起来,世界正变得越来越依赖半导体。
You put those two things together, the world is just becoming a lot more semiconductor intensive.
令人担忧的是,我现在对半导体行业的看法可能是多年来最谨慎的,因为它仍然是一个周期性行业。
The bummer, and I would say I'm probably as cautious as I've been on semiconductors in a long time right now, it is still a cyclical industry.
如果你看看这个行业在80年代和90年代的历史,就会发现存在产能周期,这些周期是由一个我记不起他姓什么的人推动的,但他特别搞笑。
If you look at the history of the industry in the '80s and '90s, you have these capacity cycles, and they're driven by the fact that God, I can't remember his last name, but he was hilarious.
TJ,他曾经掌管Cypress和McNulty公司。
TJ, he ran Cypress and McNulty.
他曾经有名地说过:真正的男人拥有晶圆厂。
He famously said, Real men own fabs.
因为当时有一种趋势是转向代工模式,但在80年代和90年代,如果你产能不足,唯一能做的就是建一个新的晶圆厂。
Because there was this trend of going fabulous, but it used to be in the '80s and '90s, if you ran out of capacity, well, the only thing you could do was build a new fab.
每个人都不得不在同一时间用尽产能。
Everybody had to run out of capacity at the same time.
所以所有这些晶圆厂都会在同一时间投产。
So all these fabs would come on at the same time.
因此,你可以把需求看作是平稳的、真实的底层需求——一条相对平滑的线,而产能则以阶梯式的方式增加。
And so you could think of demand as being the smooth underlying true demand, the relatively smooth line, and then capacity comes on in the stair step pattern.
你会经历这些恶性循环,公司总是不断倒闭。
You would have these vicious cycles, and companies were always going out of business.
但后来,世界转向了无晶圆厂模式,只有少数例外。
But then the world moved to fabless with few exceptions.
如今,英特尔、三星、台积电是全球仅有的几家能够制造先进逻辑芯片的公司。
Today, Intel, Samsung, Taiwan, Semi, they're the only companies in the world that can make leading edge logic.
全球只有三家公司的先进DRAM制造能力,NAND可能有四家。
There's only three companies that can make leading edge DRAM, maybe four for NAND.
因此,他们在平滑整合产能方面变得更好了。
And so they got much better about aggregating capacity smoothly.
因此,过去二十年中看到的周期只是库存周期。
As a result of that, the cycles you've seen in the last twenty years are just inventory cycles.
其原因是支配SIMIs的基本方程:客户库存必须等于交货周期。
And the reason for that is the fundamental equation that governs SIMIs is customer inventories must equal lead times.
因为如果两者不相等,你作为采购经理就会被解雇。
Because if they don't, then you're a purchasing manager, you get fired.
因此,无论交货周期是多少,客户库存就会是多少。
And so, whatever lead times are, that is what customer inventories are.
这就导致了一个疯狂的正反馈循环:当交货周期延长时,库存就会增加,而这又进一步推高了交货周期,使库存继续累积。
And that leads to this crazy positive feedback loop where if lead times are going up, inventories are building, which causes lead times to go up, which causes inventories to build further.
而一旦有任何变化,所有这些都会迅速逆转。
And then as soon as something changes, all of that unwinds.
于是交货周期开始缩短,库存被消耗。
And then lead times are going down, you're burning inventory.
因此,如果你是一家半导体公司,你永远看不到真实的终端需求。
So if you're a semiconductor company, you're never seeing true end demand.
你看到的要么是高于市场真实需求的水平——因为交货周期拉长、库存累积;要么是低于真实终端需求的水平。
You're either seeing above market demand because lead times are going out and inventories are building or below market demand are below true end demand.
因此,在过去二十年里,你一直经历着这种持续不断的库存周期。
And so you've had these inventory cycles really consistently for the last twenty years.
你现在所经历的,我认为是一次大规模的库存周期。
What you have right now is, I think, a massive inventory cycle.
我们之前讨论的一切——经济放缓、甚至在美联储加息之前,个人消费支出就已从商品转向体验——我认为对半导体的需求几乎不可避免地会略有放缓,而这将导致这一库存周期的消解。
And everything we talked about, the economy slowing, even before the Fed hikes hit, PCE shifting away from goods towards experiences, I think demand for simmies is almost inevitably going to decelerate a little, and that's going to lead to an unwind of this inventory cycle.
然后所有新增的产能可能让情况变得更糟。
Then all the capacity that's being brought on probably makes it worse.
但当你度过这一阶段后,你会发现这个行业从过去以两倍于名义GDP的速度增长,变成了现在可能以三倍于名义GDP的速度增长。
But then I think you get to the other side of that, and you're left with an industry that used to grow at 2x nominal GDP to one that probably now is a 3x nominal GDP grower.
你仍然拥有这种高度集中的供应链结构。
You still have that super consolidated supply structure.
现在有些人说半导体公司应该像评估软件公司那样来评估自己。
You're now having people saying semiconductor companies should be evaluating software companies.
不,他们不应该。
And no, they shouldn't.
你有一大堆人。
You have a bunch of people.
我认识的每一个管理资产低于500亿美元的基金,都在疯狂寻找半导体分析师,或者真正懂芯片的人。
Every fund I know that's under 50,000,000,000 is frantically looking for a semiconductor analyst or somebody who's really good at simmies.
这个领域里有很多投机者。
Have a lot of tourists in the sector.
当这些公司失误时,失误往往非常严重。
And it's just when these companies miss, they miss big.
回看一下2018年。
Just go back to the 2018.
你可以看到一些非常、非常、非常大的失误。
You could see some really, really, really big misses.
因此,我会说补贴应相对谨慎。
So I would say relatively cautious subsidies.
上次我们交谈时,大家对软件公司在新冠疫情期间如此高的客户留存率和净收入扩张率是否可持续,提出了很大疑问。
Last time we talked, I think there was a big question about how secure these incredible retention numbers and net dollar expansion numbers were for software companies in the depths of COVID.
我想知道你对此的看法是否有所改变。
Curious how your thinking there has changed.
以Zoom为例,它曾经历疯狂上涨,如今又经历疯狂下跌。
I mean, use Zoom as like the obvious example of just insane run up and now insane run down.
正如我们所有人已经采用它一样,这家公司的基本面非常出色。
The fundamentals of the business are pretty amazing as we've all adopted it.
我们现在正在讨论这个问题。
We're talking on it right now.
跟我讲讲你对软件行业的看法,以及它经历过的过山车般的起伏。
Talk me through your views on software and kind of the roller coaster that it's been on.
是的。
Yeah.
首先,我得说,我错了。
Well, first, I have to say, mea culpa, I was wrong.
预测未来真的非常非常困难。
Predicting the future being very, very hard.
我想上一次我上你的播客时,曾说过类似软件不会比第一顺位债务更好的话。
I think the last time I was on your podcast, I said something to the effect of software is not going to be better than first lien debt.
好吧,我错了。
Well, I was wrong.
软件的表现优于第一顺位债务。
Software was better than first lien debt.
它只是全面地表现出了这一点。
It just was really across the board.
所以我真的、真的错了。
So I was really, really wrong.
而今天,我认为你现在看到的是,我确实对那些产生现金流的公司有偏爱。
And today, I think now you're looking at, I do have this bias for companies that are generating cash flow.
这对我来说是一条明确的界限。
That's a big line in the sand for me.
当我看到一家公司估值达到销售额的10倍、15倍时,如果它能实现2%、2.5%、3%的自由现金流收益率,与那些仍在烧钱的公司相比,两者之间有着天壤之别。
There's a huge difference to me when I look at a company over 10 times sales, over 15 times sales, between having a two, two and a half, 3% free cash flow yield looking out to 23 and a company that's still burning cash.
我对软件行业非常非常看好。
I'm really, really bullish on software.
尤其是在增长放缓的世界里——我相信我们确实正处于这样一个阶段——软件就像是科技领域的必需消费品。
It is particularly in a world of slowing growth, which I do think for sure we are in for, it's the consumer staple of tech.
它应该具备最好的相对基本面。
It should have the best relative fundamentals.
在很多方面,它们的基本面甚至比必需消费品还要稳定。
In a lot of ways, their fundamentals should be more stable than even staples.
我对这一点非常非常看好。
I'm really, really positive on it.
我确实有一个偏向,相对于应用软件公司,我更倾向于基础设施公司。
I do have a bias, I would say, towards infrastructure companies relative to application software companies.
有很多应用软件公司并没有太多真正的技术。
There are a lot of application software companies that don't have a lot of true technology.
我认为,随着在云上构建自己的应用、使用自己的数据且不共享数据变得越来越容易,它们面临一定的风险。
I do think they're a little bit at risk from as it gets easier and easier and easier in the cloud to build your own applications, use your own data, not share it.
过去,首席信息官们害怕上云,因为他们担心会失去所有预算。
It used to be like the CIOs were scared of going to the cloud because they thought they'd lose all their budgets.
他们会失去乘坐公司专机飞行、去看超级碗比赛等特权。
They'd lose being able to fly around on the corporate jet and go to the Super Bowl or whatever it was.
这些只是名义上的借口,安全问题;而几次高调的黑客事件之后,大家意识到,从安全角度来看,不上云的风险反而比上云更大。
They're nominal excuses, security, and then couple of high profile hacks that everybody realized it was more of a risk to not be in the cloud than to be in the cloud from a security perspective.
但现在我认为,在这些大型云服务商那里,你真的可以做到。同样,人们曾以为IT服务会被摧毁。
But now I think you really can, at these big cloud vendors, Similarly, thought IT services were going be destroyed.
这些IT服务公司现在报告了创纪录的季度业绩和创纪录的待办订单。
These IT services companies here are reporting record quarters, record backlogs.
这对它们来说非常好。
It's great for them.
原因在于,如果你是财富500强公司的CIO,你现在可以自己构建应用、掌控自己的数据。
And the reason is is now if you're that CIO at a Fortune 50 company, you can build your own apps, control your own data.
这比以往任何时候都容易多了。
It's way easier than it ever was.
归根结底,这正是许多CIO真正想做的事情。
At the end of the day, that is what a lot of these CIOs want to do.
因此,我确实非常偏向于那些建立在这些云计算巨头之上的基础设施软件。
So I do have a big bias towards infrastructure software that rides on top of these cloud computing giants.
在终值方面也是如此吗?
Is that true in terminal value too?
所以,如果你只是看一下前10到15家软件公司,它们大多数仍然以应用程序为主或占据主导地位,比如Salesforce、Adobe、Intuit,还有许多类似这样的公司,还有刚刚被微软收购的动视暴雪,我们不妨聊聊这个,挺有意思的。
So if you just look at, I don't know, the top 10 or 15 software companies, most of them are still application heavy or dominant, you know, Salesforce, Adobe, Intuit, lots of companies like this, Activision Blizzard, which got bought today by Microsoft, which we should riff on and have fun with.
但目前在市值最高的那部分市场,似乎仍然以应用为主,而其中一些公司仍然是私营的。
But it does seem very app heavy still at the top end of the market cap spectrum, whereas some of these companies are still private.
但像Stripe、Twilio这样的公司,还有云服务提供商、Datadog等这类更侧重基础设施的公司,仍在崛起中。
But the Stripes of the world, the Twilios of the world, the cloud providers, the Datadogs, all these kinds of companies that are more infrastructure focused are still up and coming.
你如何看待这一切的最终形态?
How do you think about, like, the end state of all this?
你的这种观点是否不仅限于当前的机会,还延伸到了未来基础设施占据主导地位的状态?
Does that opinion of yours extend beyond just the current opportunity set to some future state where infrastructure is dominant?
当然,这种观点延伸到了未来状态。
For sure, it extends to a future state.
我确实相信,在某种程度上,谷歌是第一家明确这样说的云服务商:好吧。
And it is definitely a belief that at some level I do think Google was the first cloud to say, Okay.
马克·比尼亚夫会讲一个关于AWS的故事,说他们在尽职调查软件公司时,根本无法克制自己。
Mark Biniaff would tell this parable about AWS them diligencing software companies about how they just couldn't help themselves.
这是一个蝎子和大象的寓言。
It was a parable of the scorpion and the elephant.
大象要渡过一条汹涌泛滥的河流,而蝎子也需要过河。
The elephant get across, like, a raging river that's flooded, and the scorpion has to get across it.
它身后有火灾或洪水,蝎子说:嘿。
There's a fire or flood behind it, and the scorpion says, hey.
你能带我过河吗,大象?
Will you take me across, elephant?
不然我会死的。
Because I'll die otherwise.
大象说:当然。
And the elephant is like, yeah.
好的。
Sure.
我想做个好人。
I wanna be nice.
我怎么知道你不会蜇死我?
How do I trust you that you're not gonna sting me to death?
然后蝎子说:如果我蜇死你,我自己也会死。
And then the scorpion's like, well, if I sting you to death, I'm gonna die.
那样的话,我们都会死。
Then we'll both die.
所以,我当然不会那么做。
So, of course, I'm not gonna do that.
然后大象说:好吧。
And then the elephant's like, okay.
爬到我背上来。
Get on my back.
蝎子爬上了它的背。
Scorpion gets on its back.
它们正过河时,蝎子却蜇了大象。
They're going across the river, and then the scorpion stings the elephant.
大象说:‘你为什么要这么做?’
The elephant's like, Why'd you do that?
当他们双双濒死时,蝎子说:‘这是我的天性。’
As they're both dying and then a scorpion says, It's in my nature.
我忍不住。
I couldn't help it.
是啊。
Yeah.
我喜欢这个。
I love that.
所以比迪经常讲这个故事,说别让AWS的审慎拖垮你的公司,因为他们本性难移。
So Biddy often tells that story about how don't let AWS diligence your company because they cannot help themselves.
他们不会收购你。
They're not going to buy you.
他们会试图自己打造,你已经看到他们试图自己构建了
They're going to try and build you've seen them try to build their own
这和弹性突发有关。
That with elastic surge.
真的发生了。
It happened.
你可以说它在
You could say it in a
一大群人中,没错。
bunch Exactly.
是啊。
Of Yeah.
很多很多次。
Many, many times.
他们试图分叉开源基础设施,自己构建。
They try and fork the open source infrastructure build themselves.
谷歌是第一个意识到:嘿,这有点傻。
Google was the first one to realize, Hey, this is kind of silly.
我们之外正在发生大量的创新。
There's a lot of innovation happening outside of us.
其次,仅仅提供这些基础组件就能赚到很多钱。
B, there's a lot of money to be made just in providing these primitives.
让我们停止直接在云之上与这些独立的基础设施软件提供商竞争。
Let's stop trying to compete with these independent infrastructure software providers right on top of the cloud.
他们可以成为我们的渠道。
They could be a channel for us.
他们可以为我们推动需求。
They can drive demand for us.
顺便说一下,现在很多这些公司也非常重要且具有战略意义,因为其中一些公司也有本地部署业务,而本地部署现在就意味着私有云。
And by the way, a lot of these companies now are also very important and strategic because some of them have on prem businesses too, and on prem just means private cloud now.
如果你采用这些公司在其数据中心所使用的相同基础设施软件,就能让他们更容易迁移到公有云。
You make it easier for these companies to migrate to the public cloud if you embrace the same infrastructure software that they're using in their own data centers.
但我确实认为,这是一种观点,即软件世界不仅仅会由AWS、GCP和Azure主导。
But I do think it is a little bit of a view that, Hey, the world of software is not just going to be AWS, GCP, and Azure.
他们不会向上游发展并消费所有的基础设施功能。
They're not going to go up the stack and consume every infrastructure function.
这是一种观点。
That is a view.
我觉得这很有趣。
I do think it's interesting.
你提到了终值,但 broadly speaking,这种观点认为,那些拥有传统企业市场策略的应用提供商,仅仅提供一个漂亮的用户界面,以及大量甲骨文和 SAP 的销售人员在推销一款取代电子表格或其他类似产品的软件,如今这些公司的终值倍数要低得多。
You touched on terminal value, but broadly speaking, this view that these app providers who have a traditional enterprise go to market and they just have a pretty UI and a lot of Oracle and SAP salespeople selling a product that replaces a spreadsheet or whatever it is, those terminal multiples today are much lower.
我认为市场明白这是一种风险。
I do think the market understands that this is a risk.
但你确实必须相信,软件的世界不会成为一个寡头垄断,而我相信这一点。
But, yeah, you for sure have to believe that the world of software is not going to be an oligopoly, and I believe that.
我认为 AWS 是最后一个慢慢放弃这一观点的公司。
And I think AWS is the last one that's slowly giving up on this.
GCP 是第一个拥抱这一点的,然后是 Azure。
GCP was the first to embrace it, then then Azure.
如果Azure正在拥抱这些第三方基础设施软件提供商,那么所有人都在这么做,因为他们拥有比任何人都更强大的软件能力。
And it's like if Azure is embracing these third party infrastructure software providers, everybody is, because they have more software capability than anyone.
另一个有趣的事情是我有自己的偏见。
And then the other interesting thing is I do have a bias.
我并没有持有这些公司的任何股份,但如果你要投资一家应用软件公司,我更倾向于那些服务中小企业的公司。
I don't own any of these, but if you are going to own an application software company, I have a bias towards ones that serve SMBs.
因为这些中小企业无法在AWS上自行开发应用程序,因此他们免受这种影响。
Because those SMBs are not going to be able to roll their own apps in AWS, so they're shielded from that.
网络安全是另一个我原本对此持开放态度的领域,但我一直从结构上看空网络安全,因为网络安全是市场中。
Cybersecurity, that's another thing I was, I guess, was open minded to this, but I was always structurally bearish on cybersecurity because cybersecurity is the area of the market.
从零做到十亿美元总是最容易的,但之前几乎不可能突破一千五百亿到两千亿的规模。
It was always easiest to go from zero to a billion, but basically, it was previously impossible to go over 15 to 20,000,000,000.
原因在于,成功反而埋下了自我毁灭的种子,因为攻击者会开始专门针对你进行优化。
And the reason was success sowed the seeds of your own destruction because the attackers would start to optimize for you.
风险投资人都明白这一点。
The VCs knew this.
他们一直在资助竞争对手。
They were always funding competitors.
它的规模和体量,是科技领域中少数几个规模越大反而越有害的领域之一。
Its size and scale, it was one of the only areas of tech where it hurts you rather than it helped you.
嗯,人工智能改变了这一点。
Well, AI has changed that.
现在,如果您的模型在学习,如果您真正是一家以人工智能驱动的网络安全公司,规模对您是有利的。
Now that attack surface, if your models are learning, if you're truly an AI driven cybersecurity company, scale is good for you.
这就是为什么有史以来第一次,很长一段时间以来,别管确切数字了,你从未见过任何网络安全公司的估值超过200亿美元。
That's why for the first time ever, for a long time, forget the exact numbers, but you never had a cybersecurity outcome over 20,000,000,000.
现在,已经有公司突破了这一界限,从市值角度看仍在快速增长,类似的情况也发生在这一领域。
Now, you have companies that have blown through that, still going fast from a market value perspective and kind of similar thing for this.
这就是一家独立公司能在自身重压下崩溃前达到的最大规模。
This is how big an independent could get before they collapse under their own weight.
人工智能真正改变了网络安全。
AI has really changed cybersecurity.
最后一个要简要提及的类别是最近的新闻,这为我们提供了一个契机,来聊聊一些事情,然后在结束前再讨论几个有趣的话题。
The last category to touch on briefly, recent news is an excuse to talk about a few of the things and then maybe talk about a couple couple other fun topics before we close.
首先是互联网和软件之间的区别。
The first is the difference, I guess, between Internet and software.
如果它们是两个独立的类别,那么它们之间的差异似乎显而易见。
If those are two separate categories, it's kind of obvious like what defines the difference.
但也许可以更详细地定义一下这种区别:它们的交易方式、关键变量,以及你今天的看法。
But maybe define the difference in a little more detail, how they trade, the variables that matter, your view on them today.
再多谈一点关于互联网作为一个类别的情况。
Say a bit more about Internet specifically as a category.
我认为,广义上讲,互联网公司大致有三种,其中一种在很多方面其实就是软件公司。
I'd say there's broadly speaking three kinds of Internet companies, and one in a lot of ways is software companies.
这三种互联网公司分别是电子商务公司、广告公司,以及像Netflix和Spotify这样的订阅制公司。
So the three kinds of Internet companies are ecommerce companies, advertising companies, and then subscription companies like Netflix and Spotify.
我想说的是,从定义上讲,电子商务和广告业务对GDP的敏感度远高于软件。
And I would just say, definitionally, ecommerce and advertising are way more GDP sensitive than software.
因此,他们正感受到当前经济放缓的影响。
So they're feeling this slowdown that's happening right now in the economy.
此外,他们还承受着新冠疫情的后遗症,而软件公司则不会。
And on top of that, they are suffering a COVID hangover that I just software is not.
价格总是会催生出各种叙事。
Price always leads to invented narratives.
如今,由于软件表现疲软,人们开始说MuleSoft表现不佳,因为它是一个领先指标,涉及API集成。
So now that software has been weak, there's all this, oh, MuleSoft was weak, and they're a leading indicator because API integrations.
不对。
No.
这只是一个人为编造的叙事。
This is an invented narrative.
但几乎所有互联网公司都确实存在真实而根本性的疲软,可能只有搜索业务除外。
But there is real legitimate fundamental weakness in almost all of the internet names, maybe with the exception of search.
这仅仅是因为,搜索可能是互联网领域中唯一与服务支出复苏紧密关联的部分。
And that's just because probably search is the only part of the internet that is levered to this resurgence in services spending.
你确实能看到相当广泛的。
You do see pretty broad based.
如果我在播客里这么说,有人就会这么做。
If I say this on the podcast, somebody will do this.
在我眼里,我总是把软件公司、订阅制互联网公司、任何特许经营模式和任何数据商业模式都看作是一样的。
In my mind, I always just look at software companies, the subscription Internet companies, any franchise business model, and any data business model, they're all the same to me.
它们都有持续的收入。
They have recurring revenues.
它们拥有定价权,值得思考的是相对的基本面、相对的资本回报率和相对的估值。
They have pricing power, and it's interesting to think about the relative fundamentals, the relative ROICs, and the relative valuations.
它们之间的差异并不大。
There's not a lot of differences.
如果你是一家特许经营的餐厅或酒店公司,你只是收取特许权使用费。
If you're a franchised restaurant or hotel company, you just have a royalty.
虽然这是一种对经济敏感的特许权使用费,但它仍然是特许权使用费。
Now, it's an economically sensitive royalty, but it's a royalty.
你的资产非常轻。
You're very asset light.
人们实际上通过超额使用来设置订阅模式。
People effectively set up for subscriptions with overage.
在这方面,特许经营者看起来更像是新一代不销售合同、而是按使用量收费的软件公司,这在运作良好时非常有利。
In that respect, franchisors, they look more like a next gen software company that doesn't sell contracts, but they sell on consumption, which is good when it's working for you.
但当模式运作良好时,你又希望当初签了合同。
Then when setup's working for you, wish you had those contracts.
但我想说,互联网整体上正遭受着新冠疫情后的余波,而软件行业似乎并没有这种问题。
But I would just say internet, broadly speaking, is just suffering from a COVID hangover that it doesn't appear software is.
摩根大通刚刚发布报告称,我们正急于上云。
Mean, JP Morgan just came out and said, We're in a panic to go to the cloud.
我们将花费比任何人预期都多得多的钱。
We're going spend way more money than anyone thought.
我认为2022年将是有许多公司表现最好的一年。
And I think you're going to see 2022 be the best year from a lot of companies.
顺便说一下,有很多来自CIO的调查支持这一点。
By the way, there's all sorts of surveys that support this from CIOs.
也许我们可以聊聊最近的一些事件,谈谈一些感兴趣的话题。
Maybe a couple recent events to just talk about some favorite topics.
我先从Facebook更名为Meta以及整个元宇宙趋势说起。
I'll start with the change of Facebook's name to Meta and just the entire metaverse trend.
我想我们最初认识,是因为讨论科幻小说。
I think the way that you and I originally got to know one another was talking about sci fi.
我知道,科幻小说在你职业生涯早期坚持从事科技行业,以及你对科技的普遍兴趣中发挥了巨大作用。
And I know sci fi has played a huge role in your sticking with tech in the early part of your career and just your interest in technology, generally speaking.
重要的是要记住,我不记得是谁说过,很多关于元宇宙的科幻小说都是反乌托邦的,而不是乌托邦的。
Important to remember, I can't remember who said it, that a lot of the sci fi novels with the metaverse, was dystopian, not utopian.
但跟我谈谈元宇宙吧。
But talk to me about the metaverse.
我的意思是,这是一个非常庞大的话题,我之前做过几期相关内容。
I mean, it's such a huge topic that, you know, I've done some episodes on.
人们对这个想法着迷。
People are fascinated by this idea.
这是一个宏大的构想。
It's a big idea.
世界上最大的公司之一正在大力押注于此。
One of the biggest companies in the world is betting on it in a major way.
你对突然间人人都知道并关心元宇宙这件事有什么反应?
What's been your reaction to the all of a sudden, everyone knowing what the metaverse is and caring?
现在我用这个词时感到有点尴尬。
Well, I feel embarrassed to use the word now.
会是。
Would be.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
这很烦人。
It is annoying.
我喜欢在像消费产品公司这样的领域里当个早鸟和极客。
I like to be early and nerdy when you have, I don't know, consumer products companies.
他们说,我们要打造自己的元宇宙,我们要做这个。
They say, we're gonna have our own metaverse, and we're gonna do this.
对我来说,这感觉有点过时了,但它仍然是真实的。
It feels a little overdone to me, but it's still real.
它依然在发展中。
It's still coming.
我对PlayStation VR头显感到兴奋。
I'm excited for the PlayStation VR headset.
我很期待苹果会做什么。
I'm excited to see what Apple does.
Meta会继续前进,不断迭代。
Meta is going to keep going, keep iterating.
这只是一种趋势,会一直持续下去,直到我们所有人都拥有脑机接口,可以闭上眼睛做任何事情。
It's just this trend that's going to continue until we all have brain computer interfaces and we can close our eyes and whatever.
当一个精灵战士,或者做我想做的任何事。
Be an elven warrior or do whatever I want to do.
所以我仍然非常、非常相信它。
And so I still really, really believe in it.
顺便说一句,我要说,这是我之前犯错的另一件事。
And by the way, I would say that's another thing I've been wrong about.
对我来说,唯一的真正元宇宙就是今天,它们是什么?
To me, the only real metaverse is today, what are they?
军事元宇宙存在,而且基本上由《使命召唤》主导。
Well, there's military metaverse, and it's pretty much dominated by Call of Duty.
还有两个卡通风格、适合朋友和孩子的元宇宙,那就是《Roblox》和《堡垒之夜》。
There's two cartoony, friends fiddly kids friendly metaverses, Roblox, and Fortnite.
然后是幻想元宇宙,那就是《魔兽世界》。
Then there's fantasy metaverse, and that's World of Warcraft.
这些确实是发生商业活动、人们生活其中的元宇宙。
And these really are metaverses where commerce happens, people live their lives.
科幻元宇宙。
Science fiction metaverse.
那就是《命运》。
That's destiny.
我花了很多时间在上面。
I spend a lot of time in that.
你还是得玩这个,帕特里克。
You still gotta play that, Patrick.
但这些股票,首先,我认为从广义上讲,还没有真正反映在它们的基本面或价格上。
But those stocks, a, it hasn't, I would say, broadly speaking, really filtered through to their fundamentals and or their prices.
但我仍然认为,就我们的元宇宙而言,它们就是电子游戏,而这些就是当今真正的元宇宙。
But I do still think that, like, in terms of where our metaverse is, well, they're video games, and these are real metaverses today.
不过,没错,元宇宙我觉得仍然在来的路上。
But, yeah, the metaverse, I think it's still coming.
你认为,用今天另一个头条来说,动视被微软收购,是否正是因为它们想掌控人们花费数字时间的场所?
And do you think that, to use the other headline of the day, you know, Activision joining Microsoft, is a lot of this just about wanting to own the place where people spend their digital time?
从根本上说,这股趋势的走向是朝着积极参与发展,这意味着视频游戏将胜过社交媒体或Netflix或流媒体娱乐。
And fundamentally, that's just the arc of that bends towards active participation, which means video games versus social networks or Netflix or streaming entertainment.
你怎么看待这一趋势的长期走向?为什么各大科技公司突然都需要制定元宇宙战略?
How do you think about the long arc of this trend and why it seems like the big technology companies all of a sudden need to have a metaverse strategy?
我不确定微软收购动视是否就是为了这个目的,但确实很有趣。
And I don't know if that's what Microsoft's doing with Activision, but it sure seems interesting.
你怎么看这个问题?
How do you think about that?
是的。
Yeah.
毫无疑问。
It is for sure.
我认为微软收购动视、贝塞斯达、《辐射》和《上古卷轴在线》的原因就在这里。
I think what is happening with Microsoft and Activision, it's why they bought Bethesda, Fallout, the Elder Scrolls Online.
这些也都是小型元宇宙。
Those are also little metaverses.
这就是他们收购Minecraft的原因。
That's why they bought Minecraft.
这是另一个适合孩子的元宇宙,我本该把它和《堡垒之夜》和《Roblox》放在一起说。
That's another kid friendly metaverse that I should have thrown in with Fortnite and Roblox.
微软的情况很有趣,因为它们有HoloLens合同。
Microsoft, it's just interesting because of their HoloLens contract.
它们几乎肯定会拥有最纯粹的AR/VR收入。
They're almost certainly going to have the most pure ARVR revenue of any company.
它们掌控着这个视频游戏平台。
They control this video gaming platform.
几乎所有的PC游戏都在Windows电脑上进行。
Almost all PC gaming happens on Windows PCs.
我认为它们正缓慢地试图将用户从Steam拉回来。
And I think they're slowly trying to bring that back away from Steam.
然后他们还有这么多优秀的第一方视频游戏。
And then they have all these great first party video games.
所以我认为他们拥有非常丰富的资产组合。
So I think they have a very interesting collection of assets.
所有这些公司,我只是觉得它们本质上是全球GDP的杠杆型特许权收入。
All those companies, I just think of them, they're just levered royalties on global GDP.
你几乎可以做一个群体分析,这对所有这些公司来说都极其看涨,尤其是取代奈飞。
You could almost do a cohort analysis, and it's so bullish for all of those companies taking out Netflix.
奈飞无疑在某种程度上是全球GDP和消费者闲暇时间的杠杆型特许权收入。
Netflix is for sure, at some level, a levered royalty on global GDP and consumer free time.
如果你想想互联网广告与云计算公司,那就像是按公司成立年份来分类:我打赌五十年前成立的公司,它们在广告或云计算上的支出大概只占总收入的2%,我就随便猜的。
If you think about the internet advertising with cloud computing companies, it's like if you just bracket companies by the year that they were created, It's like I bet companies that were created fifty years ago, I bet they're spending, I don't know, I'm going make this up, 2% of their total revenue on either advertising or cloud computing with those companies.
明白吗?
Okay?
如果你是一家过去三年内成立的公司,一个很好的例子是,你可能将50%的收入花在了这些公司上。
If you're a company that was created in the last three years, a good case is you're only spending 50% of your revenue with those companies.
这是一个很好的例子。
That's a great case.
每年,世界都在向它们靠拢。
Every year, the world moves towards them.
如果半导体以三倍于GDP的速度增长,它们的整体增长可能会更高,而且过去十年确实如此,但只要它们不被拆分,比如TikTok,除非出现真正的平台范式转变,否则这种基于全球GDP的杠杆化收益将继续存在,并由我刚才描述的同侪分析所支撑。
If semiconductors grow at 3x GDP, they may collectively grow at a higher multiple of that, and they certainly have the last ten years, but that may continue as long as they could be broken up, TikTok, unless you have a real paradigm shift to platform shift, that levered royalty on global GDP is going to continue supported by that cohort analysis that I just described.
这就是为什么它们也专注于元宇宙。
And that is why they're also focused on metaverse.
每个人都想拥有下一个平台。
Everybody wants to own the next platform.
每个人都认为元宇宙是下一个平台。
Everybody thinks the metaverse is the next platform.
大家都在为此努力。
Everybody's working on it.
我想起我们第一次播客时说的,我认为苹果和安卓将拥有显著优势,因为它们控制着每个人口袋里的平台,而最终,元宇宙很可能需要具备便携性,VR和AR将融合为XR扩展现实。
And I go back to our first podcast, I think it's going to be Apple and Android, some pretty profound advantages because they control the platform that's in everybody's pocket, and ultimately, the metaverse are probably going to want it to be portable, and VR and AR are going to move it, fuse into XR extended reality.
很难不看到主导的移动操作系统具有明显优势。
It's hard not to see how the dominant mobile operating systems aren't advantaged.
顺便说一句,这令人兴奋,因为我确实认为这意味着,嘿,你想参与元宇宙吗?
And by the way, that is something exciting because I do think it means, like, hey, you want to play in the metaverse?
你很可能需要一个移动操作系统。
You probably need a mobile operating system.
所以我认为你会看到这些公司开始产生交集。
So I think you're going to see some of these companies start to collide.
苹果将会做搜索。
Like Apple's going to do search.
他们最终一定会做。
They're eventually going to do it.
我认为你会看到更多的移动操作系统竞争。
I think you'll see more mobile OS competition.
这些生态系统将以一些有趣的方式发生碰撞。
Some of these ecosystems will collide in ways that are interesting.
我所不
One of the things I don't
认为你我讨论过的是,这一切对那些五十年前成立、如今仍只将2%或类似比例的预算投入这些现代平台的公司所产生的影响。
think you and I have talked about is the impact of all of this on those companies that were founded fifty years ago and are spending the 2% or whatever it is on these modern platforms.
你如何看待这一机遇?无论是作为投资者还是对企业而言,如何将这2%提升到20%、30%或更多?
How do you think about that opportunity, both as an investor and for businesses, to bring the 2% to 20% or 30% or whatever?
我认为这至关重要。
I think it's pivotal.
当我对2020年至2021年期间的长期增长持谨慎态度时,我非常关注那些廉价的消费周期性股票,我认为它们的商业模式已实现真正结构性且持久的改善。
When I was cautious on secular growth from, call it, 2020 to 2021, I was very focused on cheap consumer cyclicals that I thought had really structurally and durably improved their business models.
我认为有很多零售商和品牌确实做到了这一点。
I think there's a lot of retailers and brands that did that.
顺便说一句,你会经历很多阶段。
By the way, there's so many phases you go through.
在足够长的时间线上,每一家互联网公司最终都会卖广告。
On a long enough timeline, every internet company sells ads.
这些零售商都将开始在线销售广告。
Well, all these retailers, they're going start selling ads online.
它们要成为现代互联网企业,前方还有大量空间。
There's so much still in front of them from becoming a modern internet business.
我认为仍然存在很多机会。
Still think there's a lot of opportunity.
总的来说,对于那些站在变革正确一侧的零售商,我仍然对许多这类企业非常看好。
I would say for retailers that are on the right side of change, broadly speaking, I'm still very excited about a lot of those businesses.
现在我可能对软件的兴趣比对这些企业更大,但我认为它们不会回到过去那种长期被看空的状态。
Probably now much more excited about something like software than I am about those, but I don't think they're going back to being perma shorts that they were.
我认为有很多人本能地只想做空零售商,但这些零售商中的许多企业将会长期存在。
I think there's a lot of people who reflexively just want to short retailers, but a lot of these retailers, they are here to stay.
它们已经以非常巧妙的方式将线上业务与实体店网络整合在一起。
They do have big online businesses integrated the store network with their e commerce operations in really cool ways.
顺便说一句,这正是贝索斯过去二十年来一直担心的问题。
And by the way, this is what Bezos was worried about for twenty years.
在线购买,店内自提。
Buy online, pick up in store.
全球最大的电子商务公司都在开设实体店。
All the world's largest ecommerce companies, they're opening stores.
实体店是有价值的,但前提是它们与现代IT系统深度融合。
Like, stores have value, but if they're really well integrated with a modern IT system.
顺便说一下,在软件的背景下,必须意识到这些资产正面临一场疯狂的私募股权收购热潮。
By the way, in the context of the software, do think it's important to realize there is a crazy underlying private equity bid for these assets.
这将为价格提供一个底部支撑。
It just it will put a floor under.
Tomo Bravo 刚刚筹集了一笔200亿美元的基金。
Tomo Bravo, they just raised a $20,000,000,000 fund.
sidelines 上有大量的闲置资金。
There's a lot of dry powder on the sidelines.
顺便说一下,帕特里克,我还想强调一下关于价值与增长的另一个重要观点。
By the way, Patrick, another point I just wanna make about value versus growth that I think is so important.
每次增长表现开始落后时,都会有很多人惊呼:天哪。
Every time growth starts to underperform, there are a lot of people who are like, oh my god.
这太棒了。
This is amazing.
泡沫破裂了。
It's the bubble crashing.
我们将回到2001年到2008年价值股主导的时代。
We're gonna go back to the way it was for value from o one to o eight.
辉煌的日子又回来了。
The glory days are here again.
太惊人了。
It's amazing.
顺便说一下,正如我所说,我并不总是看多增长股。
And by the way, like I said, I'm not always bullish on growth.
我几乎整整一年都极度偏向价值股。
I was tilted very, very value heavy for nearly a year.
但我认为,回到股票收益的两个驱动因素——估值和盈利,这种分析遗漏了关键点。
But I think what's missing from that analysis, going back to the two components, what drives stock returns, multiples, and earnings.
价值股在科技泡沫破裂后表现优异,原因不仅仅是估值上升,更是因为盈利出现了爆炸式增长。
The reason value was so good after the tech bubble burst wasn't just that multiples expanded, but it was that earnings exploded.
为什么盈利会爆炸式增长?
Why did earnings explode?
因为当时有吉姆·奥尼尔,还有那些砖块。
Because you had Jim O'Neill, the briquettes.
中国加入世贸组织之后。
Had post China entering the WTO.
中国经历了大规模的工业化,这导致对石油、铁矿石以及你能想到的每一种原材料的需求出现了质的飞跃。
You had just this massive industrialization in China that was a true step function in demand for oil, for iron ore, for every material you could think of.
他们正在建设那么多机场。
They're building so many airports.
他们购买了大量飞机、汽车和各种东西。
They're buying so many airplanes, cars, everything.
而这正是真正推动它的原因。
And that was really what drove it.
我认为有时人们忽略了,在那段时期,需求出现了巨大而根本性的上升,推动了众多这些价值股的表现。
And I think sometimes people miss that is there was a massive, massive fundamental upshift in demand that drove so many of these value stocks in that period.
我今天看不到这种情况。
I don't see that today.
即使当我想到一个高通胀的世界,存在工资通胀时,我也看不出像当年中国入世时那样,对这些传统重工业产生类似的 Demand 冲击。
Even when I think of a higher inflation world where you have wage inflation, it's like I just don't see any comparable demand impulse for a lot of these traditional smokestack industries like you had with the bricks during the February.
你与这些澳大利亚、南美洲的大型公司会面,但你会发现,我们不确定世界上是否有足够的铁矿石。
You meet with these Australian, South American giant companies, but it's like, we're not sure there's enough iron ore in the world.
别提曾经流行的‘石油峰值’理论了。
Forget peak oil, which was a popular theory.
我们担心的是‘一切的峰值’。
We're worried about peak everything.
事实证明,地球很大,而那确实是一次性的建设浪潮。
Well, it turns out the earth is a big place, and it really was a one time build.
我认为,我们第一次上节目时,曾讨论过价值投资难以开展的一个原因,那就是算法确实面临职业风险。
I think maybe the first time we were on, we discussed one reason value investing has been hard is that algorithms, they do have career risk.
但它们只是不知道而已。
They just don't know it.
它们根本不在乎。
They don't care.
它们没有情感。
They don't feel emotion.
人们曾经谈论的价值投资所面临的职业风险,现在已经消失了。
That career risk that people would talk about being with value investing, that's gone.
但同样地,这种疯狂的需求冲击,我真的看不到任何类似的情况。
But also, for sure, this crazy demand impulse, I just don't see anything like that.
有两个有趣的观点让我想到,我知道我们想讨论这个,所以这真是个很好的契机。
There's two interesting points that makes me think of, and I know we want to talk about this, so it's a great excuse to do so.
一个是私募市场对这一切的影响。
One is the impact of private markets on all of this.
需求在公司这一侧是一回事。
Demand is one thing on the side of the companies.
而在想投资这些公司的投资者一侧,又是另一回事。
It's another thing on the side of the equity for people that want to invest in these companies.
你看到有高达200亿美元的基金正在募集。
And you've got just incredible $20,000,000,000 funds being raised.
你看到了这种疯狂的脱节现象,这正是我想听听你看法的地方——私人市场估值,即使是后期阶段的,与公开市场估值,即使是最近上市的公司,之间的巨大差异。
You've got this crazy disconnect, which is really what I'd like to hear your view on between private market multiples, even late stage ones and public market multiples, even recently IPO ed ones.
这似乎是一种奇怪的过渡:当你从私人市场转向公开市场时,估值大幅下跌。
So it seems like this weird handoff where you go from private to public and your valuation drops by a bunch.
是什么推动了这种现象?
What's driving that?
你认为这一切将如何影响私募股权?这里的私募股权既包括后期阶段的收购,也包括早期阶段的风险投资?
Like, how do you think all of this will affect the private equity, both private equity in the sense of later stage buyouts, but also early stage venture?
你看到这里正在发生什么?
What do you see unfolding here?
因为现在确实存在这种奇怪的不匹配。
Because it does seem to be this weird mismatch right now.
所以我认为,从宏观层面来看,正在发生的是:如果你是资金配置者,你希望获得最高夏普比率的资产。
So I think at a high level, what is happening so if you're an allocator, you want the highest Sharpe ratio asset you can have.
长期以来,什么是高夏普比率的资产?
What's been a high Sharpe ratio asset for a long time now?
任何私募资产。
Anything private.
原因是它们不按市价估值。
And the reason is is because they don't mark to market.
我向你保证,私募股权基金、风险投资基金以及其他所有机构,都会按市价估值。
Like, I promise you, private equity funds and venture capital funds and everybody else, mark to market.
你知道吗?
You know?
换句话说,如果每一家风险投资公司都坐下来,拿出一份报告,说:这是你的报表。
In other words, like, if every venture capital firm sit down a thing, be like, Here's your statement.
因为这些中型科技公司的估值倍数下降了60%,我们自身也下调了40%,我们已经改变了很多东西。
Because the multiples of these mid cap tech companies are down 60%, we're marking ourselves down 40%, we've changed a lot of things.
这种情况不会发生。
That's not going to happen.
所以过去曾存在流动性溢价。
And so what has happened is it used to be there was a liquidity premium.
现在则出现了非流动性溢价。
Now there is an illiquidity premium.
这甚至体现在单个基金层面。
This is even at individual fund level.
明白吗?
Know?
如果你是一个共同基金,身处一个大型复杂机构中,能接触到私募资产,并且你5%的资产是按月或按季度估值的私募,那么你的夏普比率就会高于那些只投资公开市场的竞争对手。
If, like, you're a mutual fund and you're in a big complex and you get access to privates and you have 5% of your assets and privates that are marked monthly or quarterly, you're going to have a higher Sharpe ratio than your competitors who only do publics.
确实存在非流动性溢价,我并不是说这很理性,但这是一个事实,而且我看不出它会改变。
There is for sure, and I'm not saying it's rational, there is an illiquidity premium, and that is just a fact, and I don't see it changing.
这是整个系统所希望的。
It's what the entire system wants.
整个系统希望减少估值频率。
The entire system wants less frequent marks.
整个系统的储蓄和养老需求需要越来越大的私募市场来配置资本。
The entire system savings and retirement needs bigger and bigger private markets in which to deploy capital.
你可以获得这些收益,它们很平稳,内部收益率达到30%。
You can get these they are smooth, 30% IRRs.
所以我认为这种流动性溢价将长期存在。
So I think this liquidity premium is here to stay.
我不认为世界会回到过去。
I don't think the world is going back.
有两点。
Two things.
第一,当你变得流动性时,流动性溢价就会消失,但你最终必须变得具有流动性。
One, illiquidity premium goes away when you become liquid, but you do have to eventually become liquid.
因此,这就是这一切的最终制约因素。
So that is the ultimate governor on this.
公开市场的倍数才是最终的现实。
Public multiples are the ultimate reality.
最终,如果公开市场的疲软或强劲持续六到九个月,正如我向你保证的,只要这种疲软持续,私人市场的估值就会降温。
And at the end of the day, if public market weakness or strength persists for six to nine months, like I promise you, this weakness persists, private valuations will cool off.
它们就是会降温。
They just will.
我从事风险投资已经二十年了。
I've been doing venture for twenty years.
这种关系非常稳定。
This is a very consistent relationship.
顺便说一句,当公开市场开始复苏时,风险投资的估值也需要一段时间才能恢复。
And by the way, and then when public start to recover, it'll take the venture valuations a while to recover.
事实上,即使在2020年,也存在许多绝佳的投资机会,你可以在2020年3月的低点进行风险投资,因为风险投资市场在上下调整时都反应迟缓,但最终,公开市场确实需要并影响着风险投资的估值。
It's like there are all these great opportunities even into the 2020 where you could make venture investments at the March 2020 low just because the venture market had slower to adjust both up and down, but ultimately, the public market does really need and inform venture valuations.
因为怎么可能不是呢?
Because how could it not?
一个令人震惊的数据是,这些风险投资支持的公司退出方式中,战略收购与IPO的比例。
One of the stats that is staggering is the percentage of exits for these venture funded firms that are strategic acquisitions versus IPOs.
以前全是IPO。
Like, it used to be all IPOs.
现在则主要由战略收购主导,这使得情况更加不透明。
Now it's dominated by strategic acquisitions, which puts yet more like opacity around it somehow.
以Twilio的业务板块为例,你根本无法了解太多关于某个板块的信息,或许只有当它成为Twilio的较大板块时,你才会稍后了解到。
Twilio by segment, you never really get to learn a lot about segment or maybe much later, you know, once it's a bigger segment of Twilio.
但正是这种从上到下全面缺乏明确估值的现象,才是系统所期望的。
But it's this interesting lack of marks all the way up and down is what the system wants.
我喜欢你这样表达。
Like, I love how you put that.
这让我好奇,你认为风险投资的竞争格局将如何演变?因为我和你都大量参与私人科技投资。
It makes me wonder how you think then the competitive landscape of venture will evolve since you and I both do a lot of private technology investing.
显然,我们在这里是极其相关的利益方。
Obviously, we're super interested parties here.
鉴于这样的竞争环境,你认为这类投资者的成功或失败会由什么驱动?
What do you think will drive success or failure amongst those style of investors given this playing field?
风险投资领域正在以惊人的速度被拆解和重新架构。
The world of venture is being unbundled and re architected at an incredible rate.
这种变化正在以多种方式发生。
It's happening in many different ways.
因此,我认为会有四类市场参与者。
So I would say to me, there will be four market participants.
首先是天使投资人。
So there are angel investors.
他们非常重要,因为过去如果你是创业者或创始人,你会认真构建你的董事会,希望从这家机构获得一位市场拓展专家。
And these are really, really important because it used to be if you were an entrepreneur or a founder, you would really thoughtfully construct your board and you'd want a go to market expert from this firm.
然后你希望从另一家机构获得一位技术专家,再从另一家机构获得一位运营专家。
And then you'd want a technology expert from this firm and then maybe an ops expert from this firm.
现在你只需找三位天使投资人,让他们为你完成所有这些工作,并在一开始就介入。
Now you just get three angels, do all that for you, and you put them in at the very beginning.
我曾与一位进行A轮融资的人进行了一次令人惊叹的对话,我当时想,嗯,这确实有道理。
I had a stunning conversation with Series A raising money, and I was like, Hey, I do think it makes sense.
就像许多种子轮、A轮和B轮投资者一样,他们拥有我永远不具备的神奇技能,能帮助你打造公司。
Like a lot of seed and A and Series B investors, they have magical skills that I will never have around helping you build your company.
他们确实带来了巨大的价值。
And wow, they add a lot of value.
他回答说:‘没错,但我可以从天使投资人那里获得这些。’
He's like, Yeah, but I can get that from angels.
换句话说,他的观点是:我可以从任何我想找的人那里拿钱。
However much you get In other words, his point was, I can take money from whoever I want.
我不需要一个能提供增值服务的投资人,因为我已经从我的天使投资人那里获得了价值。
I do not need a value add investor because I get value from my angels.
他们非常认真地考虑过这些天使投资人。
They thought about them very carefully.
这真的非常有趣。
So that was really, really interesting.
天使投资人是这一领域非常重要且将持续存在的部分。
Angels are a big, big part of this and here to stay.
然后我认为还有专注于种子轮到B轮的专业机构。
And then I think there's the seed through B specialists.
我认为,这些是许多优秀的传统风投公司。
These are, I think, a lot of the great traditional firms.
在这里参与,你真的必须提供价值。
And here, man, to play here, you really do have to add value.
你必须提供价值,才能在这里建立品牌。
You must add value to have a franchise here.
但在我眼中,那些种子轮到B轮的机构只是认证机构。
But those seed through B firms, in my mind, they're just credentializing agents.
他们提供价值,但也为公司和创始人向后续投资者提供背书。
They add value, but they also credentialize the company and the founder for later investors.
他们就像哈佛大学。
They're like Harvard.
天啊,这真是个绝佳的生意。
And, man, that's a great business.
做哈佛真好。
It's good to be Harvard.
成为这些真正主导早期阶段的投资机构非常好。
It's very good to be one of these really, really dominant early stage investors.
然后我认为,世界其他地方将是这些大型多阶段投资机构。
Then I think the rest of the world is going to be these really big multi stage investors.
我认为最终每个人都会成为跨阶段投资者。
I think ultimately everybody's going to be a crossover investor.
要与跨阶段投资者竞争,你就必须成为跨阶段投资者。
To compete with crossover investors, you must be a crossover investor.
否则,他们拥有更优越的捕鼠器。
Otherwise, they have a superior mousetrap.
对创始人来说,说‘我们永远不会退出’是一种极其强大的价值主张。
It's such a powerful value proposition to a founder to say, Hey, we're never going to sell.
我们会在你的IPO时继续买入,可能持有你二十年。
We're going to buy more on your IPO, we could own you for twenty years.
这太有力量了。
That's so powerful.
我认为,正是这种竞争压力让红杉资本——无论他们是否是最好的,至少是三大顶尖风投之一——能够保持现状。
I think this competitive pressure is why Sequoia, arguably, whether they're the best, they're one of the three best venture investors, is okay.
他们实际上转型为了一家交叉型投资者。
They convert it to effectively being a crossover investor.
然后我认为,如果你不属于这三大类别之一,将会变得极其、极其、极其困难。
And then I think if you're not one of those three buckets, it's going to be very, very, very hard.
我觉得这很酷,因为这也会为有限合伙人(LPs)带来更好的结构。
And I think this is cool because it is going to put By the way, I think that this is a better setup for LPs too.
我应该说明,我接下来要说的所有内容都来自我的朋友和导师安东尼奥·格拉西亚斯,我真心希望他能尽快来参加我们的播客。
And I should just say everything I'm about to say comes from my friend and mentor, Antonio Gracias, who I really hope goes on the podcast sometime soon.
我们已经安排好了。
And we're scheduled.
谢谢。
Thank you.
是的。
Yes.
但安东尼奥是我最重要的导师之一。
But Antonio is one of my most important mentors.
我从他身上学到了很多。
I've learned so much from him.
任何与他打过交道的人都会说,世界上没有任何一位风险投资人能像他和他的公司那样为投资的公司创造更多价值。
Nobody who has dealt with him would say that there is a venture investor in the world who is more value added than what he and his firm do for their companies.
我现在参与的公司与他们有合作,也因此逐渐了解了他。
I've been involved in companies with them now and it's gotten to know him.
确实如此。
It's true.
也许其他人也能带来同等的价值。
Maybe people add as much value.
没有人能带来更多的价值。
No one adds more value.
是的。
Yeah.
但他的整个风险投资策略——我毫不客气地借鉴了其中很多——都围绕着多阶段投资带来的深远优势。
But his whole strategy, a lot of his strategy for venture, which I've ruthlessly copied, is around the idea of their profound advantages towards being multistage.
我的一个原则是,在我了解一家公司六个月之前,我不会做出重大投资。
One of my rules is I don't make a significant investment until I've known a company for six months.
为什么呢?
Why would you?
我是一个跨阶段投资者,所以我关注的是内部收益率,而不是摩尔定律。
I'm a crossover investor, so I'm IRR focused, not Moik focused.
这是一大区别和优势,能够逐项与摩尔定律进行对比。
And that's a really big distinction and advantage being able to R by R against Moik.
因此,我认为这些多阶段基金的策略,以及你在市场上看到的,我觉得非常合乎逻辑,就是:嘿。
And so I do think a lot of these multistage firms, the strategy they have and you're seeing in the market, which I think is imminently logical, is, hey.
你早期投入小额资金。
You write these small checks early.
顺便说一下,帕特里克,这正是我们多次与你共同投资的原因。
By the way, Patrick, it's a reason we've co invested with you several times.
我们一直在观察这家公司。
We watch the company.
如果公司表现良好,我认为对于这种多阶段交叉型基金来说,一个成功标准是:任何进入你投资范围且表现良好的公司,都不应再进入公开市场。
And if they execute, I do think a success metric for kind of a multistage crossover firm becomes no company that is in your portfolio that is performing well should ever go out to the market once they come into your strike zone.
你掌握了他们的数据。
You're getting their metrics.
你对他们了如指掌。
You have perfect information on them.
你直接与首席执行官沟通。
You're talking to the CEO.
你想要什么指标都能拿到。
You're getting whatever metrics you want.
然后你就说,哇。
And then it's like, oh, wow.
我们可以看出他们还剩下十二到十五个月的现金。
We could tell they've got twelve to fifteen months of cash left.
是的。
Yeah.
现在是提前介入的好时机。
This is a good time to preempt.
砰。
Boom.
我认为这就是世界正在演变的方式。
And I think that is the way the world is devolving.
所以天使投资人、种子轮到B轮的专业投资者能提供大量价值,一些运营增长型公司也能像早期阶段公司那样提供同等价值,而这些大型多阶段全能型公司和一些传统风投机构正在成为这样的角色。
So angels, seed through b specialists who add a lot of value, some operational growth firms that add as much value as those early stage firms, and then these big multi stage bulge bracket firms and some traditional venture firms are becoming those.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。