本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这个BBC播客由英国境外的广告支持。
This BBC podcast is supported by ads outside The UK.
这并不是我们曾被承诺的未来。
This is not the future we were promised.
比如,这个作为节目的标语怎么样?
Like, how about that for a tagline for the show?
来自BBC,这是《界面》节目,探讨科技如何重塑你的每周生活和整个世界。
From the BBC, this is the interface, the show that explores how tech is rewiring your week and your world.
这与季度收益或科技评测无关。
This isn't about quarterly earnings or about tech reviews.
这关乎科技实际上如何影响你的工作、政治和日常生活。
It's about what technology is actually doing to your work and your politics, your everyday life.
以及人们使用互联网的各种奇特方式。
And all the bizarre ways people are using the Internet.
在bbc.com或你收听播客的任何平台收听。
Listen on bbc.com or wherever you get your podcasts.
您正在收听来自BBC英语学习的《英语会话》播客。
You're listening to the Learning English Conversations podcast from BBC Learning English.
我们很快会推出另一期《地道英语》节目。
We'll have another episode of The English We Speak soon.
但今天,我们为您准备了一期特别节目——《克服口语焦虑》,帮助您战胜说英语的恐惧。
But today, we have a special podcast for you, Beating Speaking Anxiety, a podcast to help you fight your fears of speaking English.
我们将听取学习者的心声,采访专家,并为您提供提升口语的建议。
We'll hear from learners, speak to experts, and give you tips to improve your speaking.
每周,我们都会探讨一种不同的恐惧。
And each week, we'll talk about a different fear.
我们的第一期节目名为《我害怕犯错》。
Our first episode is called I'm scared of making mistakes.
你说英语的时候会感到紧张吗?
Do you get anxious when you speak English?
你并不孤单。
You're not alone.
我想说,我用英语说话的经历充满了恐惧和遗憾。
I guess I'd say that my experience speaking English is full of dread and regret.
我不知道为什么,就是找不到勇气去和别人说话。
I don't know why, but I cannot find the courage to speak to someone.
对我来说,英语说得很好非常重要。
For me, was very important to be good in English.
我一直在想,当我讲错或者发音不标准时,别人会怎么看待我。
And I was like thinking what people will think about me when I'm speaking wrong way or my pronunciation is not correct.
想象一下,如果你在母语中能显得非常聪明、睿智、机智,但在第二语言中却做不到这一点。
Imagine that if you are able to sound very intelligent, very wise, very smart in your first language, but then in the second language, you are not able to do that.
这并不是关于完美,也不一定非要非常流利。
It isn't about perfection and it isn't about necessarily being very fluent.
关键是能够很好地沟通。
It's about communicating well.
在BBC英语学习的这个特别系列中,我们将帮助你理解说话焦虑,提升你在英语中的自信。
In this special series from BBC Learning English, we'll be helping you understand speaking anxiety and improve your confidence in English.
大家好,欢迎收看《克服演讲焦虑》。
Hello, and welcome to Beating Speaking Anxiety.
我是Georgie,BBC英语学习频道的英语教师和主持人。
I'm Georgie, an English teacher and presenter at BBC Learning English.
我是Hanan,BBC阿拉伯语频道的双语记者,也是阿拉伯语教育系列节目《Ders》的主持人。
And I'm Hanan, a bilingual reporter for BBC Arabic and presenter of the Arabic educational series, Ders.
作为一名英语教师,我的学生经常问我:我怎样才能提高口语能力?
So as an English teacher, something my students used to ask me all the time was, how can I get better at speaking?
有时候他们意思是想少犯错误,但更多时候,他们是想增强自信,不再那么紧张。
And sometimes they mean they want to make fewer mistakes but most often it's about confidence and wanting to stop feeling so nervous.
他们担心因为犯错而被评判。
They're worried about being judged for their mistakes.
他们害怕会忘词,担心别人听不懂他们的口音。
They're scared they'll forget their words, that people won't understand their accent.
在说外语时,人们会有很多担忧。
There are so many fears when it comes to speaking a foreign language.
是的。
Yes.
当我搬到英国,在BBC工作时,我也曾为此困扰。
It's something I struggled with too when I moved to The UK to work at the BBC.
我的英语实际上已经不错了,但和人交谈时,我发现非常困难。
My English was actually pretty good, but having conversations with people, I found it really difficult.
所以当我刚加入BBC时,英语教学团队对我进行了英语水平评估,这是为所有新员工做的,以判断他们是否需要帮助或课程。
So when I first joined the BBC, the learning English team made an assessment of my English level, which they used to do for all new joiners to see if they need any help or courses.
我的成绩很不错,而且很流利。
My results were pretty good and I was fluent.
但就在同一天,离开大楼去买咖啡时,我根本听不懂咖啡师在说什么。
But on that very same day, leaving the building and going to get some coffee, I couldn't really understand what the barista was saying.
我点咖啡时感到很紧张,努力斟酌每一个词,希望语法正确、发音准确。
And I felt pretty nervous to order coffee and was trying to stress every single word, hoping that my grammar is correct and I'm pronouncing the words right.
是的,我相信很多人都能理解这种情境。
Yeah, I'm sure that's a situation lots of people can relate to.
在本系列中,我们将探讨所有让我们在说新语言时感到恐惧的因素。
So in this series, we're going to look at all the things that make us afraid of speaking in a new language.
我们将采访专家,了解为什么说话会让我们如此焦虑。
We'll speak to experts to understand why speaking makes us so anxious.
了解我们在学习新语言时大脑会发生什么变化,并探索一些帮助减轻说英语压力的技巧。
Learn about what happens to our brain when we learn a new language and explore some tips to help make speaking English less stressful.
在未来八周的每周,我们将聚焦学习者在说英语时所面临的不同恐惧。
Each week for the next eight weeks, we will focus on a different fear learners have when speaking English.
而我们首先从学习者最常见的一种恐惧开始。
And we start with one of the most common fears for learners.
我害怕犯错。
I'm scared of making mistakes.
让我们听听一些学习者的心声。
Let's hear more from some learners.
来自哥伦比亚的辛迪、来自巴西的大卫和来自墨西哥的埃莉萨。
Cindy from Colombia, David from Brazil, and Elisa from Mexico.
我说英语时感到害怕,因为我的词汇量不够,担心出错,无法表达自己的想法。
And I feel afraid when I speak English because I don't have more vocabulary, and I feel afraid for mistake and can't communicate my idea.
我感到非常不自在。
I felt very self conscious.
有时候我真的很没安全感,总在想:我说的对吗?
I felt really insecure sometimes because I was like, oh, am I saying the right things?
我掌握的东西够不够好?
Do I say do I know things well enough?
我不喜欢犯错。
I don't like making mistakes.
知道他们懂得比我多,我就给自己施加压力,避免出错和出丑。
Knowing they know more than me, I put pressure on myself to avoid making mistakes and being foolish.
这些学习者都担心会犯错。
All of those learners are worried about making mistakes.
是的。
Yes.
我感到这种恐惧最强烈的一次,是我在西班牙当英语老师的时候,必须与学生的家长开会讨论他们的学习进展。
A time when I felt this fear the most was when I worked as an English teacher in Spain, and I had to have meetings with my students' parents to discuss their progress.
全部用西班牙语进行。
All in Spanish.
我非常害怕出错,因为在我的想法里,这关系到我的工作和专业性。
I was so scared of making mistakes because in my head, it was linked to my job and my professionalism.
我不希望家长评判我,认为我是个糟糕的老师。
I didn't want the parents to judge me and think I was a bad teacher.
完全正确。
Totally.
而且,你知道,担心出错的不只是英语初学者。
And, you know, it's not just new learners of English who are worried about making mistakes.
即使是高级学习者也会谈到这个问题。
Even advanced learners talk about this.
那么,这到底是怎么回事?
So what's going on?
你知道吗,通常导致焦虑——尤其是严重焦虑——的信念,我们称之为非理性信念,还有一些低自我认知,比如对负面评价的恐惧,这些都是学习者内在的因素。
You know, usually the beliefs that cause anxiety, especially severe anxiety, are, we call it irrational beliefs and also like some low self perceptions, fear of negative evaluation, all those learner internal, you know, factors.
这是韩洛,美国拉法耶特学院的中文副教授。
This is Han Luo, associate professor of Chinese at Lafayette College in The United States.
韩教授对焦虑的来源以及这种恐惧的成因进行了大量研究。
Han has done lots of research into the sources of anxiety or where that fear comes from.
韩教授认为,非理性信念会让我们感到焦虑。
Han says irrational beliefs can make us anxious.
非理性信念是指那些没有事实依据的信念。
Irrational beliefs are beliefs that aren't based on things that are true.
韩教授说,学习者之所以担心犯错,是因为他们害怕遭到负面评价。
And Han says that learners worry about mistakes because they're scared of negative evaluation.
换句话说,就是害怕别人因为他们的错误而评判他们、对他们产生不良看法。
In other words, that people will judge them for their mistakes and think badly of them.
想象一下,如果你在母语中能够表现得非常聪明、睿智、有才智,就会受到人们的钦佩。
Imagine that if you are able to sound very intelligent, very wise, very smart in your first language, you're admired by people.
但在第二语言中,你却做不到这一点。
But then in the second language, you are not able to do that.
对吧?
Right?
当人们用另一种语言说话时,他们会担心别人怎么看待自己。
When people speak in another language, they worry about what other people might think about them.
但汉说,这种评判并非来自他人。
But Han says this judgment doesn't come from other people.
它来自内心。
It comes from within.
是的,但在我们试图说话的那一刻,我们常常意识不到是什么引发了焦虑和压力。
Yes, but in the moment when we try to speak, we're often not aware of what's causing the anxiety and stress.
因此,减少对犯错的恐惧的第一步是认识到这种恐惧。
And so the first step to reducing the fear of making mistakes is to recognise that fear.
我们希望把那些潜藏的信念变成有意识的信念。
We want to make those implicit beliefs into conscious beliefs.
这已经是一个非常非常重要的步骤了。
That is already like a very, very important step.
通常让我们感到焦虑的信念是潜意识的。
Often the beliefs that are making us anxious are implicit.
我们并没有注意到它们。
We don't notice them.
我们需要让它们变得有意识,这样我们才能注意到它们。
And we need to make them conscious so that we do notice them.
你现在意识到了。
You realize it now.
哦,如果我犯了错,没人会笑话我,因为每个人都在同样的处境中。
Oh, nobody will laugh at me if I make a mistake because everyone is in the same boat.
对吧?
Right?
所以当你意识到这一点时,我就告诉你,你不必为此担心了。
So when you realize this, you know, now I tell you, you don't have to worry about it.
所以你能直接摆脱焦虑,然后你的信念就改变了吗?
So are you able to just remove your anxiety, you know, and then your your beliefs are changed?
我觉得韩关于非理性信念的说法非常有趣。
I find what Han said about irrational beliefs really interesting.
我是一名英语老师,我知道错误能帮助我们学习。
So I'm an English teacher, so I know that mistakes help us learn.
而且只要你能有效传达你的想法,犯一些小错误其实并不重要。
And also that as long as you communicate your ideas effectively, it doesn't really matter if you make a few mistakes.
但我对在西班牙语中犯错仍然有一种非理性的恐惧。
But I still have an irrational fear of making mistakes in Spanish.
我需要让我的感受与‘犯错是可以接受的’这一信念保持一致。
I need to make my feelings match my belief that making mistakes is fine.
你知道吗,Georgie,我们在自己的母语中也会犯错。
And you know what Georgie, We already make mistakes in our own languages.
所以我觉得我们应该鼓励自己,告诉自己犯错没关系。
So I feel like we should encourage ourselves and tell ourselves it's okay to make mistakes.
百分之百。
A 100%.
我完全同意。
I totally agree.
汉说,认识到这些对犯错的恐惧是不理性的,这是第一步。
Han says recognizing that these fears of making mistakes are irrational is the first step.
但我们有没有什么实际的方法可以帮助消除这种恐惧呢?
But is there anything we can do practically to help get rid of this fear?
这并不是关于完美,也不一定要求非常流利。
It isn't about perfection, and it isn't about necessarily being very fluent.
关键是能有效沟通。
It's about communicating well.
这是巴纳比·格里菲斯。
This is Barnaby Griffith.
他是一位口语教练,帮助希望提升英语口语能力的学生。
He's a speaking coach who works with the students who want to improve their speaking in English.
巴纳比说,如果我们把说话看作是交流,而不是像考试一样,就能放松下来。
Barnaby says if we think about speaking as communicating rather than like a test, then we can relax.
所以,接受你的错误。
So embrace your mistakes.
最重要的是,允许犯错。
Above all, allow for mistakes.
所以,自我纠正是可以的。
So self correct is fine.
在交流中允许停顿和沉默。
Allow pauses and silence within your communication.
学会自我纠正,同时在出错时加入幽默、微笑和笑声,说‘哦,我不是想这么说的’。
And learn to correct yourself, and also introduce elements such as humor, and smile, and laugh when things go wrong, and say, oh, I didn't mean to say that.
掌握一些表达,比如‘让我重新说一遍’或‘我需要再说一次’,并且展现脆弱的一面。
And have phrases like, let me rephrase that, or I need to say that again, and and and be vulnerable.
我很喜欢巴纳比的建议——出错时只要微笑和大笑就好,但我想象要像他所说的那样展现脆弱,可能并不容易。
I love Barnaby's advice to just smile and laugh when things go wrong, But I imagine it might be difficult to be vulnerable, like Barnaby says.
你有什么建议吗,乔吉?
Do you have any tips Georgie?
是的,我有。
Yes, I do.
我认为,让自己习惯犯错的最好方法是从让你感到安全的环境开始。
I think the best way to get comfortable making mistakes is to start in situations where you feel safe.
所以你可以和你感到自在的人练习。
So you could practice with someone you feel comfortable with.
另一个方法是进行语言交换。
And another idea is to do a language exchange.
也就是说,你找一个人,他想练习你的语言,而你也想练习他的语言。
So this is when you find someone who wants to practice your language and you want to practice their language.
这非常好,因为你们都在练习语言,都在犯错,而且你们处于相似的境况中。
This is really good because you're both practising languages and you're both making mistakes and you're kind of in the same situation.
确实如此。
That's true.
我学土耳其语的时候也有过类似的经历。
I had a similar experience actually when I was learning Turkish.
所以我和一位土耳其朋友进行了语言交换。
So I did an exchange with a Turkish friend.
她教我土耳其语,而有趣的是,我还给她提供了一些英语建议。
She was teaching me Turkish and I was funny enough, I was actually giving her some English tips.
这真的很好,因为是和你熟悉、感到自在的人一起,你不会太担心犯错。
And it was really good because it is with someone you know and you feel comfortable with, and you don't worry too much about mistakes.
我在两种语言中都犯了错误,但感觉很正常。
I was making mistakes in both languages and that felt okay.
是的,这很棒,因为没有人会评判,对吧?
Yeah, it's great because there's no judgment, is there?
没错。
Exactly.
感谢收听本期《克服演讲焦虑》。
Thanks for listening to this episode of Beating Speaking Anxiety.
要了解更多关于演讲焦虑的信息,请访问我们的网站,Georgi 为本系列中讨论的每一种演讲恐惧都制作了视频。
To learn more about speaking anxiety, head to our website where Georgi has made videos for each of the speaking fears we talk about in this series.
你将听到更多建议,并看到真实学习者实践这些技巧的场景。
You will hear more advice and see some tips in action with real learners.
请使用本集笔记中的链接,或访问 bbclearningenglish.com。
Use the link in the notes for this episode or visit bbclearningenglish.com.
我们非常希望听到你使用英语的体验。
And we'd love to hear about your experience speaking English.
请给我们发一封邮件,告诉我们你害怕说英语的原因。
Please send us an email and tell us what scares you about speaking.
我们的邮箱地址是 learningenglish@bbc.co.uk。
Our email address is learningenglish@bbc.co.uk.
在下一期节目中,我们将讨论当你用英语说话时突然大脑一片空白该怎么办。
And in the next episode, we'll be talking about what to do when you're speaking English and your mind suddenly goes blank.
到时候见。
See you then.
再见。
Bye.
这并不是我们曾被承诺的未来。
This is not the future we were promised.
比如,这个作为节目的标语怎么样?
Like, how about that for a tagline for the show?
来自BBC,这里是《Interface》节目,探讨科技如何重塑你的每周生活和整个世界。
From the BBC, this is the Interface, the show that explores how tech is rewiring your week and your world.
这与季度收益或科技评测无关。
This isn't about quarterly earnings or about tech reviews.
它关注的是科技实际上如何影响你的工作、政治和日常生活。
It's about what technology is actually doing to your work and your politics, your everyday life.
以及人们使用互联网的各种奇特方式。
And all the bizarre ways people are using the Internet.
在bbc.com或您收听播客的任何平台收听。
Listen on bbc.com or wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。