本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这个BBC播客由英国境外的广告支持。
This BBC podcast is supported by ads outside The UK.
那是2009年,我们在德国的山区。
It's 2009, and we're in the German mountains.
一名男子把自己绑在了世界上最危险的赛道上的一辆车上。
A man straps himself into a car on the world's most dangerous racetrack.
他低声对自己说。
He whispers to himself
是时候把我的蛋放在仪表盘上了。
It's time to put my balls on the dashboard.
当他启动引擎时。
As he starts the engine.
十五分钟后,他就进入了
In fifteen minutes, he's in
一个
an
救护车,失去意识。
ambulance, unconscious.
十五年后,他成了亿万富翁。
In fifteen years, he's a billionaire.
这是托托·沃尔夫,F1最具权势的车队老板,也是《极速求生》的明星人物。
This is Toto Wolff, Formula One's most powerful team boss and the breakout star of Drive to Survive.
本周《好与坏的亿万富翁》,讲述托托·沃尔夫如何赚到他的亿万财富。
This week on Good Bad Billionaire, how Toto Wolff made his billions.
在您收听BBC播客的任何平台都可以收听。
Listen wherever you get your BBC podcasts.
您正在收听BBC英语学习频道的《英语会话》播客。
You're listening to the Learning English Conversations podcast from BBC Learning English.
我们很快会推出另一期《地道英语》节目。
We'll have another episode of The English We Speak soon.
但今天我们将继续我们的特别系列《克服演讲焦虑》,这档播客旨在帮助您战胜说英语的恐惧。
But today we're continuing with our special series, Beating Speaking Anxiety, a podcast to help you fight your fears of speaking English.
这一集的标题是:我害怕听不懂别人的话。
This episode is called I'm scared of not understanding people.
你在用英语交谈时,是否难以理解别人的话?
Do you struggle to understand people when you're having a conversation in English?
我担心自己听不懂别人说的话。
I'm scared I don't understand other people.
听懂英国口音真的很难。
It's really hard to understand British accent.
比如当我和家人一起吃饭时,我听不懂他们说的话,他们也听不懂我说的话。
Like when I ate dinner with my family, I couldn't understand their speaking and they couldn't understand my speaking.
你必须明白,这关乎的是沟通。
You have to understand that it's about communication.
你问多少次、听不懂多少次都没关系。
It doesn't matter how many times you ask, how many times you don't understand it.
当我们想到语言焦虑时,通常想到的是害怕开口说英语。
When we think about language anxiety, we often think about the fear of speaking.
但那只是对话的一部分。
But that's only one part of a conversation.
我们还需要倾听。
We also have to listen.
在本期《克服演讲焦虑》中,我们将探讨当你听不懂对方说话时该怎么办。
In today's episode of beating speaking anxiety, we'll look at what to do when you don't understand the other person.
大家好,欢迎来到《克服演讲焦虑》。
Hello, and welcome to Beating Speaking Anxiety.
在这个播客中,我们帮助你理解演讲焦虑,并战胜说英语的恐惧。
In this podcast, we help you understand speaking anxiety and fight your fears of speaking English.
我是Georgie,BBC英语教学的英语教师和主持人。
I'm Georgie, an English teacher and presenter at BBC Learning English.
我是Hanan,BBC阿拉伯语的双语记者,也是阿拉伯语教育节目《Ders》的主持人。
And I am Hanan, a bilingual correspondent for BBC Arabic and presenter of the Arabic educational series, Ders.
请访问我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,获取本期节目的文字稿以便对照阅读。
Find a transcript for this episode to read along on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
所以在节目一开始,我们听了一些学习者讲述他们理解英语母语者时遇到的困难,这是一个非常普遍的问题。
So we heard from some learners at the start of the program about the difficulty they have understanding English speakers, particularly native English speakers, and it's a very common problem.
是的,让我们听听伦卡的说法。
Yes, let's hear from Lenka.
伦卡现在是英国的一名英语教师,但她过去也曾经历过理解他人困难的问题。
Lenka is now an English teacher in The UK, but she's also experienced difficulty understanding people in the past.
英语不是我的母语,我是在学校学习英语的。
English is not my first language so I learned English at school.
我从小就开始学,但直到很晚才出国旅行。
I started when I was young but I didn't travel until much later.
所以当我第一次出国去伦敦时,发现没人说话慢,也没人做笔记,这让我大吃一惊——课堂上学到的语言和现实世界中的语言差别竟然这么大。
So first time I actually went abroad and it was London and no one speaks slowly, no one takes any notes so that was a shock how much different language is in the classroom to the real world.
伦卡在学校学到的英语在现实生活中用处不大,当你在外国旅行时,这种情况尤其令人压力山大,尤其是当事情出错的时候。
The English Lenka learned in the classroom wasn't very helpful in real life situations and when you're traveling in a foreign country that is really stressful especially when things go wrong.
我差点哭出来,因为我们带着转机航班去机场,想处理这件事,却完全听不懂他们在说什么。
I almost wanted to cry because we went to the airport with the connecting flight so trying to sort it out didn't really understand what they were saying.
所以我真的感到震惊,因为我以为自己英语很好,但实际上却无法交流。
So I was shocked really because I thought I was good at English but I couldn't actually communicate.
我完全理解Linguistics所说的在伦敦听懂当地人说话有多困难。
I completely understand what Linguistics is saying about trying to understand people in London.
我刚搬来的时候,发现这真的很难。
When I first moved here, I found it really difficult.
因为日常生活中的语言和我在学校学的有很大不同。
Because, you know, the day to day language is fairly different from what I'd learned at school.
比如,当我遇到认识的人时,我第一句话通常是:你好吗?
So for example, when I meet someone I know, the first thing I say, how are you?
或者可能说:最近怎么样?
Or maybe what's up?
这是我以前在美剧里常听到的。
As I used to hear in American movies.
但搬到伦敦后,我遇到同事时,他们却会说:你说得对。
But after moving to London, I'd run into a colleague and they'd say, you're right.
我心里想:我很好。
And in my head, I'm like, I'm fine.
怎么了?
What's wrong?
而且母语者说话太快了。
Also, natives speak so fast.
所以有时候我不得不猜测他们在说什么。
So sometimes I had to guess what they were saying.
比如,我在商店结账时,我记得特别是当我退货或换货时,有时只听到一个词,就得猜他们说的是什么。
If I was waiting to check out at a shop, for example, I remember, especially if I was returning or exchanging an item, there were times I just catch one word and try to guess what they were saying.
我就不告诉你我的猜测错了多少次了。
And I'm not gonna tell you how many times my guess was actually wrong.
是的。
Yeah.
这真的会让人很紧张。
That can be really stressful.
即使你对自己的英语很有信心,也能说得很流利,但如果你听不懂对方在说什么,就真的很难做任何事。
And even if you feel confident in your English and you can speak well, if you can't understand what the other person is saying, it's really difficult to do anything.
比如伦卡,她在机场错过了航班,却听不懂工作人员的话,无法解决问题。
Like with Lenka, she missed her flight at the airport and she couldn't understand the staff to try and sort the problem out.
为了更深入了解许多学习者在现实生活中听懂英语所面临的困难,我们采访了雷丁大学应用语言学副教授埃尔汉·阿斯兰。
To understand more about the difficulty lots of learners have understanding English in these real life situations, we spoke to Erhan Aslan, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics at the University of Reading.
当学生的英语水平不足时,他们无法完成诸如在咖啡店点咖啡或打电话开银行账户等日常任务。
When a student doesn't have enough English language proficiency, they cannot really perform real life tasks like ordering coffee in a coffee shop or opening a bank account on the phone.
一些学生可能会有听力焦虑,比如他们根本不敢打电话,因为在这种自然、快速的对话中,他们更难听懂对方的话。
Some students may have listening anxiety, like they can't really talk on the phone because they have more difficulty understanding people in this really natural fast paced speech.
埃尔汉表示,听不懂快速自然的口语会阻碍学习者进步。
Erhan says that difficulty understanding fast natural speech can hold learners back.
问题是,学习者需要通过使用英语来提高能力。
The problem is, learners need to practice using English to improve.
但几次不愉快的经历可能会加剧他们的焦虑。
But a few bad experiences can increase their anxiety.
这些经历会逐渐累积,形成他们在使用语言、理解语言以及在不同情境中接触语言时的障碍。
These kinds of instances can accumulate and create this barrier in how they use language, how they hear language, and how they encounter language in different situations.
根据埃赫兰的说法,负面经历会逐渐累积。
According to Erhan, bad experiences can accumulate.
这意味着这些经历会在学习者的脑海中聚集在一起。
This means they can collect together inside the mind of a learner.
埃赫兰认为,问题的一部分在于学习者接触的英语口音种类不够广泛。
Erhan believes that part of the problem is that learners don't hear a wide enough range of voices speaking English.
我认为,当这种焦虑发生时,一个主要问题是学生不熟悉不同的口音。
One main issue, I think, when that anxiety happens is when your students are not familiar with different accents.
当你观察他们的学习经历时,他们总是只接触一种英语变体,通常是美式英语,因为电影、流行文化、音乐等都是如此。
And when you look at their experience, they're always exposed to one variety of English, and that tends to be the American English because of the movies, the pop culture, music, and that sort of thing.
看电影、电视和听美式英语口音是提高英语的好方法,但正如你所知,哈南,这可能对你在英国街头交流帮助不大。
Watching films, TV and hearing American English voices is a great way to improve your English, but it might not help you that much on a street in The UK, as you know, Hanan.
完全正确。
Totally.
你会听到很多不同的英语口音。
Where you'll hear lots of different English accents.
当然,英语在世界上的许多其他地方都被使用,每个人使用的方式都略有不同。
And of course, English is spoken in many other places around the world and everyone uses it a bit differently.
在现实生活中,学生并不总是与母语为英语的人交流,对吧?
In real life students don't always communicate with native English speakers, right?
因此,他们还需要培养理解和应对世界各地不同口音的策略和能力。
So they also need to develop strategies and abilities to understand different accents of the world.
所以这也很重要。
So that's also very important.
因此,观看和聆听来自不同地区的英语内容,可以帮助我们为真实的英语对话做好准备。
So trying to watch and listen to things in English from different places can help prepare us for real life English conversations.
但Erhan表示,我们也应该思考自己观看和聆听的内容类型。
But Erhan says we should also think about the kind of things we watch and listen to.
我总是告诉我的学生,或者过去常告诉他们:多听脱口秀。
I always tell my students, or told in the past, always listen to talk shows.
因为脱口秀中人们使用的是更自然流畅的语言。
Because in talk shows people use more natural flowing language.
与电影和电视剧相比,后者更有剧本感。
As opposed to movies and TV shows, it's more scripted.
电影和电视剧很棒,但它们是剧本化的,因此并不能完全反映自然对话的真实面貌。
Films and TV dramas are great, but they're scripted, so they don't always give you the best idea of how natural conversation works.
想想你在自己母语中打电话时是怎么说话的。
Think about how you talk on the phone in your own language.
那很可能和你在电影里看到的完全不同。
It's probably very different to what you've seen in the films.
对我来说,访谈总是更自然,我总是建议听访谈,观察他们如何说话、如何停顿、如何表现出犹豫,这些不同的表达功能。
Interviews are always more natural to me, I would always say listen to them and see like how they speak, how they like pause, how they show hesitation, these different kinds of functions.
在BBC英语学习频道,我们的许多播客和节目都包含自然口语。
At BBC Learning English, lots of our podcasts and programmes include natural speech.
试试《Real Easy English》,体验用简单英语进行的完整对话。
Try Real Easy English for a whole conversation in simple English.
或者收听《六分钟英语》,了解来自BBC节目、包含全球采访的片段。
Or listen to six Minute English to hear clips from BBC programmes featuring interviews from around the world.
佐吉,我还有一个问题。
Georgie, I have one more question
要问你。
for you.
如果有人遇到像语言学家在机场那样的情况,需要说英语来解决问题,但却难以理解对方的话。
If someone finds themselves in a situation like Linguistics did at the airport where they need to speak in English to fix a problem, but they're struggling to understand.
你有什么建议?
What would you suggest?
首先,尽量保持冷静。
Well, the first thing is to try to stay calm.
说起来容易做起来难。
This is easier said than done.
但不要害怕请对方说慢一点。
But don't be afraid to ask someone to speak more slowly.
可以说英语不是我的母语。
Say English is not my first language.
你能说得更慢、更清楚一点吗?
Can you speak more slowly and clearly?
或者试试这个。
Or try this.
抱歉,我没听懂那句话。
Sorry, I didn't understand that.
你能再说一遍吗?
Can you say it again?
如果有一个词你没听懂,就问这个词是什么意思?
If there's one word you didn't understand say what does this word mean?
最后,伦卡成功解决了她的航班问题,她说虽然很难,但你必须不断尝试。
And in the end Lenka was able to sort her flight out and she says that even though it's hard you just have to keep trying.
你必须明白,这关乎沟通。
You have to understand that it's about communication.
你问多少次、不理解多少次都没关系。
It doesn't matter how many times you ask, how many times you don't understand.
不必追求完美,因为沟通本来就不完美。
It doesn't have to be perfect because communication is not perfect.
所以你只需要继续下去,达成目标即可。
So you have to just keep going and get the result.
感谢收听本期《克服说话焦虑》。
Thanks for listening to this episode of beating speaking anxiety.
你可以在BBC学习英语网站上找到更多帮助你克服听不懂他人话语恐惧的资源。
You can find more resources to help with the fear of not understanding people on the BBC Learning English website.
访问 bbclearningenglish.com。
Visit bbclearningenglish.com.
在下一期中,我们将讨论如何提高你的英语公众演讲能力。
In the next episode, we'll be talking about how to improve your public speaking in English.
到时候见。
See you then.
再见。
Bye bye.
那是2009年,我们在德国的山区。
It's 2009, and we're in the German mountains.
一名男子把自己绑在了世界上最危险的赛道上的一辆汽车里。
A man straps himself into a car on the world's most dangerous racetrack.
他低声对自己说
He whispers to himself
是时候把我的蛋蛋放在仪表盘上了。
It's time to put my balls on the dashboard.
当他启动引擎时。
As he starts the engine.
十五分钟后,他被送进救护车,失去了意识。
In fifteen minutes, he's in an ambulance, unconscious.
十五年后,他成了亿万富翁。
In fifteen years, he's a billionaire.
这是托托·沃尔夫,F1最具权势的车队老板,也是《极速求生》中的明星人物。
This is Toto Wolff, Formula One's most powerful team boss and the breakout star of Drive to Survive.
本周《好坏亿万富翁》:托托·沃尔夫是如何赚到他的十亿财富的。
This week on Good Bad Billionaire, how Toto Wolff made his billions.
在您收听BBC播客的任何平台都可以收听。
Listen wherever you get your BBC podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。