本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这个BBC播客由英国境外的广告支持。
This BBC podcast is supported by ads outside The UK.
在《伟人人生》中,我们聚焦一位文化偶像
On Big Lives, we take a single cultural icon
比如简·方达、乔治·迈克尔、小理查德。
People like Jane Fonda, George Michael, Little Richard.
我们剖析表象背后的故事。
And we pull apart the story behind the image.
我们通过挖掘BBC庞大的档案库来实现这一点。
And we do this by digging through the BBC's vast archives.
发现那些被遗忘的访谈,它们彻底改变了我们对这些文化巨人的看法。
Discovering forgotten interviews that change exactly how we see these giants of our culture.
我们关注的是英雄们真实、混乱、精彩而人性的一面。
We're here for the messy, the brilliant, the human version of our heroes.
我是埃马纽埃尔·约基。
I'm Emmanuel Jochi.
我是凯·赖特。
I'm Kai Wright.
这就是《大人生》。
And this is Big Lives.
在您收听播客的任何平台都可以收听《大人生》。
Listen to Big Lives wherever you get your podcasts.
你好。
Hello.
我是乔治娅,BBC英语学习的英语教师和主持人。
I'm Georgie, an English teacher and presenter at BBC Learning English.
我想向你们介绍我制作的一个全新系列,主题是关于口语表达。
I want to tell you about a new series I've made all about speaking.
《克服口语焦虑》能帮助你战胜说英语时的恐惧。
Beating Speaking Anxiety helps you fight your fears of speaking English.
每集视频都针对一种不同的恐惧,比如害怕犯错、害怕听不懂别人,以及害怕公开演讲。
Each video tackles a different fear, like the fear of making mistakes, the fear of not understanding people, and the fear of public speaking.
获取实用技巧,观看真实学习者进行口语练习的场景。
Find practical tips and see speaking activities in action with real learners.
在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到《克服演讲焦虑》。
Find Beating Speaking Anxiety on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
工作中出现分歧时,你会怎么做?
What do you do when there's a disagreement at work?
当别人意见不同时,我并不太在意。
I don't mind it too much when people disagree.
我认为这其实非常健康,尤其是当每个人都能以平和的方式表达不同意见时。
I think it can be really healthy, especially if everyone feels able to disagree in a kind of calm way.
当人们生气时,情况就会变得有点紧张。
When people get angry, that's when it gets a bit a bit stressful.
我本来就不太喜欢正面冲突。
I don't enjoy confrontation anyway.
尽管如此,我认为倾听不同的观点很重要。
Having said that, I do think it's important to listen to different perspectives.
今天在《职场英语》中,我们将讨论同意、不同意和妥协。
Today on Office English, we'll talk about agreeing, disagreeing and compromising.
您好,欢迎收听BBC学习英语的《职场英语》。
Hello and welcome to Office English from BBC Learning English.
我是菲尔。
I'm Phil.
我是皮帕。
And I'm Pippa.
这是您了解职场世界的播客指南,您可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到字幕和文本,以便边听边读。
This is your podcast guide to the world of whack, and you can find subtitles and a transcript to read along with this podcast on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
所以,皮帕,我们刚刚听到了一些BBC学习英语的同事谈论如何让员工在工作中感到愉快。
So Pippa, we've just heard some of our Learning English colleagues talking about keeping people happy at work.
我们通常称之为‘保持圆滑’。
We often call this 'being diplomatic'.
是的,‘保持圆滑’意味着以不惹恼或冒犯他人的方式行事。
Yes, 'being diplomatic' means acting in a way that doesn't upset or offend someone.
是的,在工作中要让每个人都一直开心可能很困难,但你可以采取一些措施,确保自己不显得无礼,并帮助更轻松地解决分歧。
Yes, it can be difficult to keep everyone happy all the time at work, but there are some steps that you can take to make sure you're not being rude, and to help disagreements be resolved more easily.
值得注意的是,人们的外交程度会因公司文化和你所在国家的不同而有所差异。
And it's important to note that it will depend on your company culture and the country that you work in, how diplomatic people are.
有些工作场所里,人们会直接说出自己的想法。
There are some workplaces where people will just say what they think.
他们不会刻意避免用观点冒犯他人。
They won't kind of try to not offend people with their opinion.
但在英国的工作场所和许多国际公司中,保持外交态度是非常常见的。
But it's very common in UK workplaces and in lots of international companies that you need to be diplomatic.
因此,在本集中,我们将讨论如何理解分歧、私下沟通以及妥协。
So in this episode, we'll talk about understanding disagreements, taking aside and compromising.
好的,假设你在工作中遇到了分歧。
Okay, so let's imagine you're at work and there's a disagreement.
两位同事对如何完成一项任务有不同的想法,并希望听听你的意见。
Two colleagues have different ideas about how to do a task and want your opinion.
皮帕,你该怎么办?
What should you do, Pippa?
在你介入之前,你需要先理解这个分歧,‘介入’就是指迅速参与进来。
Well, you need to understand the disagreement before you wade in, and wade in just means to get involved quite quickly.
所以你需要问问,你被要求发表意见的这件事的背景是什么。
So you need to ask about what the context is of the thing that you're being asked to give an opinion on.
是的,一个不错的表达方式是:你能告诉我问题出在哪里吗?
Yeah, a nice expression to do this could be, could you fill me in on what the problem is?
‘告诉我’的意思是给我详细情况。
And fill me in means give me the details.
是的。
Yeah.
你还可以解释一下为什么你想知道这些。
And you can sort of explain why you want to know this.
‘我想确保我理解双方的观点’是一个很好的表达方式。
I want to be sure I understand both sides would be a nice expression.
这仅仅是表示对双方观点的尊重,并确保在面对重大分歧时不会仓促做出决定。
It's just showing respect to both perspectives and making sure that you don't make a very quick decision if this is quite a big disagreement.
是的。
Yeah.
那么另一个可能重要的问题是:我的意见会有帮助吗?
Then another question that could be important to ask is, is my opinion going to be helpful?
你真的能提供帮助,还是说你发表意见反而会让事情变得更加复杂?
Is it something you can actually help with or is it just going to make things even more complicated if you weighed in with your opinion?
好的。
Okay.
现在我们理解了分歧,接下来需要决定哪个观点最好。
So now we understand the disagreement, we need to decide which idea is best.
我们该如何在不冒犯任何人的情况下,有技巧地做出选择呢,菲尔?
How do we do this diplomatically without upsetting anyone, Phil?
表现出你理解双方的观点是很重要的。
It is good to show that you understand both sides, both perspectives.
所以你可以先说,我理解你为什么想这么做,但在这个情况下,我同意另一方的观点。
So maybe start off by saying something like, I can see why you want to do it this way, but in this case, I agree with the other side.
另一种处理方式是,如果遇到一个复杂的问题,实际上两种选择都可行,并没有绝对的对错,你可以说出来。
Another way you could approach this is if there's maybe a complex problem where actually both options might work, there's not a particular right or wrong, you can say that.
你可以说:我不确定有没有绝对正确的答案,但我选择这个方案,因为……然后陈述你的理由。
You can say, I'm not sure there are any right answers, but I'm going to go with this option because and then state your reasons.
所以你只是在承认,对方其实并没有错。
So you're just acknowledging that it's not actually that the other person is wrong.
有时候,你只需要做出一个决定。
Sometimes you just need to make a decision.
所以你可以说,在这个情况下,我支持这个人,但这并不意味着我不尊重你的意见。
So you might say, in this instance, I'm siding with this person, but it's not that I don't respect your opinion.
所以你要表明,你在认真考虑对方所说的话,而不是因为你不喜欢他们之类的原因,是的。
So you're showing that you are thinking about what the other person has said and you're not just it's not just you don't like them or something like Yeah.
你真的不希望事情变得个人化,因此在与人交谈时要体现出这一点。
You don't want it to be personal really, so you want to show that in the way that you're talking to people.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们已经讨论了如何礼貌地表示不同意,但另一种选择是达成妥协,即双方都调整自己的观点或要求以达成一致。
So we've covered how to disagree politely, but another option is to reach a compromise, and this is where both people change their opinion or demands in order to agree.
那么我们该如何在工作中谈论妥协呢?
So how can we talk about compromise at work?
嗯,英语里有很多很好的表达方式来描述这种情况。
Well, we have lots of really nice expressions for this in English.
我们可以问:‘你能做出一些让步吗?’
So we could ask, can you meet me halfway?
这仅仅意味着:‘你能和我妥协吗?’
And that just means, can you compromise with me?
是的。
Yes.
你或许可以尝试寻找共同点。
You might want to try and find common ground.
共同点就是你们达成一致的地方。
And common ground are the things that you agree on.
一个类似的表达是折中方案。
A similar expression is a happy medium.
这意味着找到一个让所有人都满意的点。
And this just means to reach a point where everybody's happy.
所以你有一个解决方案,让双方都满意,而且处于中间位置。
So you have a solution that makes both sides happy that's in the middle.
这就是一个折中方案。
It's a happy medium.
为了达成妥协,通常最好使用稍微间接一点或更温和的语言。
Now in order to reach a compromise, it's often good to use slightly more indirect language or softer language.
比如使用‘可能’、‘也许’、‘你能’、‘你会’这样的情态动词,它们能让语气不那么具有对抗性。
So things like possibly or maybe, could you, would you modal verbs like that, which they just make it a bit less confrontational.
以上就是本期《职场英语》的全部内容。
That's it for this episode of Office English.
请访问我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com,获取更多商务英语节目。
Find more business English programmes on our website, bbclearningenglish.com.
现在,你想要提升在工作中的口语自信吗?
Now, do you want to improve your speaking confidence at work?
一定要试试我们的《克服演讲焦虑》系列,里面有视频和播客,帮助你战胜说英语的恐惧。
Make sure you try our Beating Speaking Anxiety series with videos and podcasts to help you fight your fears of speaking English.
所有内容都可在 bbclearningenglish.com 上获取。
And it's all available at bbclearningenglish.com.
我们下周再见。
Until next week.
再见。
Goodbye.
再见。
Bye.
在《伟人人生》节目中,我们将聚焦一位文化偶像
On Big Lives, we take a single cultural icon
像简·方达、乔治·迈克尔、小理查德这样的人。
People like Jane Fonda, George Michael, Little Richard.
我们剖析表象背后的故事。
And we pull apart the story behind the image.
我们通过挖掘英国广播公司庞大的档案资料来实现这一点。
And we do this by digging through the BBC's vast archives.
发现那些被遗忘的访谈,这些访谈彻底改变了我们对这些文化巨人的看法。
Discovering forgotten interviews that change exactly how we see these giants of our culture.
我们关注的是英雄们真实、混乱、精彩而有人性的一面。
We're here for the messy, the brilliant, the human version of our heroes.
我是埃马纽埃尔·约基。
I'm Emmanuel Jochi.
我是凯·赖特。
I'm Kai Wright.
欢迎收看《伟人人生》。
And this is Big Lives.
在您收听播客的任何平台收听《大人生》。
Listen to Big Lives wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。