本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我刚坐在一块某种物质构成的石头上。
I just sat down on this rock on a substance of some sort.
当时我刚开始写通讯,这句话‘我有智慧要分享’不断在我脑海中浮现。
And this was as I was starting the newsletter, and this phrase of I have wisdom to share coming through me over and over and over.
我只是看着一种疯狂的视觉画面,像是一个坐着的佛像,持续了三个小时。
And I was just watching this crazy visualization of some kind of sitting Buddha thing, and that was for three hours.
这给了我信心,让我觉得,好吧。
It gave me the confidence that, like, okay.
也许我确实有一些东西可以分享。
Maybe I do have things to share.
你现在想对我们的妈妈们说些什么?
What do you wanna say to our mothers right now?
你想来一段吗?
Do you wanna take a track?
我妈妈
My mom
不知道。
didn't know.
那个背面?
That back?
你从2019年开始写通讯,现在已经有超过一百万订户了。
You started your newsletter 2019, and it now has over a million subscribers.
一百二十万。
1,200,000.
一百二十万。
1.2.
我们之前聊过几次,最好的内容来自真实的经历。
Something that we've talked about a few times is the best stuff comes from actual experience.
人们总说,如果你想写作,就去阅读。
People always say if you wanna write, read.
最好的建议来源于真正实践这件事的人。
The source of the best advice is from practitioners doing the thing for real.
到目前为止,我大部分文章都是嘉宾投稿,由别人分享他们在职业生涯中学到的最棒的经验。
At this point, most of my posts are guest posts where somebody sharing the best thing they've learned in their career.
如果你没有创办那个通讯,你现在会做什么呢?
What do you think you'd be doing right now if you hadn't started that newsletter?
大概还在创业的挣扎路上吧。
On the struggle bus of startup life, probably.
然后如果那失败了,我可能会加入某家公司担任产品经理。
And then probably after that failed, I would have joined at some company as a PM.
你 still 喜欢它吗?
Do you still like it?
我无法想象自己去做比这更有意义、更有趣的事情,但我总是想象自己像《夺宝奇兵》里的印第安纳·琼斯,身后有一块巨石在不断追着我跑。
I can't imagine doing something more fulfilling and interesting, but the visual I always have is the Indiana Jones boulder is chasing me constantly.
这就像是你一直在上面跑步的跑步机。
It's like this treadmill that you're on.
跟我讲讲你创业过程中压力最大的一次经历。
Tell me about a time you've been really stressed in your business.
这是我从未分享过的一件事。
Here's something I've never shared.
今天,我的嘉宾是我的才华横溢、了不起的妻子米歇尔·里亚尔,她反过来采访我。
Today, my guest is my brilliant, incredible wife, Michelle Rial, who turns the table and interviews me.
多年来,有太多人希望我在这个播客里接受访谈,还有什么比和我妻子一起做这件事更有趣的呢?
I've had so many people over the years want me to be interviewed on this podcast, and what could be more fun than doing this with my wife?
在这次对话中,我分享了一些从未在其他任何地方提过的内容,包括这段旅程中最艰难的时刻,这些内容比我在本播客中曾涉及的任何话题都更加私密。
I share things during this conversation that I've never shared anywhere else, including some of the hardest moments from this journey that get a lot more personal than I've ever been on this podcast.
此外,这个播客发布的这一天恰好是我妻子的生日,而她也即将出版她的第三本书——一本名为《给宝宝看的图表》的儿童读物,我们简短地聊了聊这本书。
Also, the day this podcast comes out just happens to be my wife's birthday, and she is also about to publish her third book, a children's book called Charts for Babies, which we chat briefly about.
一定要提前预订。
Definitely preorder it.
这真的非常有趣,也非常特别。
This was so fun and so special.
希望你们会喜欢。
I hope you love it.
我们开始吧。
Let's get into it.
给你出个谜题。
Here's a puzzle for you.
OpenAI、Cursor、Perplexity、Vercel、Platt 以及数百家其他成功公司有什么共同点?
What do OpenAI, Cursor, Perplexity, Vercel, Platt, and hundreds of other winning companies have in common?
答案是,它们都由今天的赞助商 WorkOS 驱动。
The answer is they're all powered by today's sponsor, WorkOS.
如果你在开发企业级软件,你可能经历过集成单点登录、SCIM、RBAC、审计日志等大型客户所需功能的痛苦。
If you're building software enterprises, you've probably felt the pain of integrating single sign on, SCIM, RBAC, audit logs, and other features required by big customers.
WorkOS 将这些阻碍交易的难题转化为即插即用的 API,专为 B2B SaaS 构建的现代化开发者平台。
WorkOS turns those deal blockers into drop in APIs with a modern developer platform built specifically for B2B SaaS.
无论你是正在争取首个企业客户的种子阶段初创公司,还是正在全球扩张的独角兽企业,WorkOS 都是让你快速实现企业级准备并释放增长的最快路径。
Whether you're a seed stage startup trying to land your first enterprise customer or a unicorn expanding globally, WorkOS is the fastest path to becoming enterprise ready and unlocking growth.
它们本质上就是企业级功能的 Stripe。
They're essentially Stripe for enterprise features.
访问workos.com即可开始使用,或者也可以直接联系他们的Slack支持渠道,那里有真正的工程师驻守,会以极快的速度解答你的所有问题。
Visit workos.com to get started, or just hit up their Slack support where they have real engineers in there who answer your questions super fast.
WorkOS配备了体验出色的API、详尽完善的文档以及流畅的开发体验,能让你像顶尖厂商一样开发产品。
WorkOS allows you to build like the best with delightful APIs, comprehensive docs, and a smooth developer experience.
现在就访问workos.com,让你的应用立刻达到企业级适配标准。
Go to workos.com to make your app enterprise ready today.
谁说招聘这件事,谁规定它必须是公平的?
Who says hiring has to be fair?
最近这段时间,我和每一位创始人、招聘经理交流时,都感受到了他们面临的同一种压力。
Every founder and hiring manager I've been speaking with these days is feeling the same pressure.
那就是要以最快的速度招募到最优秀的人才。
Hire the best people as fast as possible.
但招聘不仅耗时,团队内部也很难达成一致,而且顶尖人才的竞争还在不断加剧。
But recruiting is time consuming, alignment is hard, and competition for great talent keeps getting tighter.
这就是为什么像ElevenLabs、Brex、Replit、DEAL在内的五千多家团队都在使用Metaview——这家人工智能公司能给高绩效团队在招聘中带来真正的压倒性优势。
That's why teams like eleven Labs, Brex, Replit, DEAL, and 5,000 other organizations use Metaview, the AI company giving high performance teams a real unfair advantage in hiring.
它会为你提供一整套人工智能代理,作用就和你招聘团队里的同事一样。
They give you a suite of AI agents that behave like recruiting coworkers.
这些代理会根据你设定的精准标准帮你寻找候选人,自动记录面试笔记,在整个招聘流程中收集汇总信息,还能帮你找出招聘池里最优秀的人选。
They find candidates for you based on your exact criteria, take interview notes automatically, gather insights across your hiring process, and help you identify the best candidates in your pipeline.
人工智能会包揽招聘里的琐碎工作,为你提供一套真实可靠的统一信息源。
AI handles the recruiting toil and gives you a real source of truth.
这意味着你每招聘一名员工都能节省数小时的时间,让团队能专注于最重要的事:招到最合适的人选。
That means hours saved per hire and a team focused on what matters most: winning the right candidates.
别让你的竞争对手在招人上超过你。
Don't let your competitors outhire you.
Metaview的客户填补岗位空缺的速度能快30%。
Metaview customers close roles 30% faster.
现在就去metaview.ai/lenny免费试用Metaview,还能额外获得一个月的人才 sourcing 服务。
Try Metaview today for free and get an extra month of sourcing at metaview.ai/lenny.
网址是metaview.ai/lenny。
That's metaview.ai/lenny.
米歇尔·里亚尔,非常感谢你来到这里。
Michelle Rial, thank you so much for being here.
欢迎来到这个播客。
Welcome to the podcast.
谢谢你的邀请。
Thanks for having me.
那么,我们今天要做什么呢?
So what are we doing here?
人们总是让我接受采访。
People constantly ask me to get interviewed myself.
人们会说:你为什么不当一回被采访者,坐到麦克风的另一边呢?
People are like, why don't you sit on the other side of the microphone and get interviewed?
我只是觉得:算了吧。
And I'm just like, nah.
我喜欢做采访。
I like interviewing.
但你有一本书即将出版?
But you have a book coming out?
我们觉得这是一个有趣的机会,让你来采访我。
And we thought this would be a fun opportunity to have you interview me.
所以这将是你的节目。
And so this is gonna be your show.
我只会坐在这里,问你任何你想问的问题。
I'm just gonna be here asking you whatever you want.
我不知道你会问我什么,我们看看会走向哪里。
I have no idea what you're gonna ask me, and we'll see where it goes.
我也会问你一些关于你书的问题。
And I'm gonna ask you some questions about your book too.
所以我把话语权交给你了,米歇尔。
So I'll turn that over to you, Michelle.
你有什么问题?
What do you got?
你有什么?
What do you got
给莱尼,也就是宝贝。
for Lenny, a k a, babe.
是的。
Yeah.
所以你的通讯刊物始于2019年,现在已有超过一百万订户。
So your you started your newsletter 2019, and it now has over a million subscribers.
一百二十万。
1,200,000.
一百二十万。
1.2.
抱歉。
Sorry.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你的播客经常位列前十。
And your podcast is you very frequently one of the top 10.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
是的。
Yep.
差不多就在那个位置。
It's like right around yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
前十的技术播客。
Top 10 tech podcast.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yes.
当然了!
Hell yeah.
我太喜欢了。
I love it.
我认识你的时候,我觉得你当时是个产品工程师。
When I met you, I think you were something called a product engineer.
我是个软件工程师。
I was a software engineer.
让我们想想你什么时候认识我的。
Let's see when you met me.
不是。
No.
我觉得那时候我还是软件工程师。
I think it was a I think it was still a software engineer.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得你从软件工程师变成了产品工程师,然后成了产品经理。
I think you went from software engineer to product engineer to product manager.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
我觉得是这样的。
I think that's right.
我在想,如果你没有开始那个通讯,你现在会做什么呢?
Wondering what do you what do you think you'd be doing right now if you hadn't started that newsletter?
如果我,比如说,继续留在原来的工作中。
If I, like, stayed in my job.
是的。
Yeah.
如果你没有开始,我的意思是,我稍后再问另一个问题:你觉得是什么时刻让你决定创办那个通讯的?
If you hadn't and then that I mean, I'll get to another question about what do you think is the one moment that led you to your newsletter.
但你可以回答其中任何一个。
But you can answer either one.
所以问题是,我离开Airbnb之后,我会做什么?
So is the question after I left Airbnb, what would I be doing?
或者是不是说,如果我没有
Or is it like if I didn't
就是说,如果你没有做那件事,或者你换了份工作,你觉得自己会得到一份不同的工作,然后留在那里。
Just if you if you hadn't or if you had gotten a different job, you think you would have gotten a different job, stayed there.
当我离开那份工作时,我在Airbnb待了七年。
So when I left my job, I was at Airbnb for seven years.
我当时有个计划A,就是再创办一家公司。
I was I had like plan a, start a company again.
计划B,加入一家初创公司,担任他们的第一位产品经理。
Plan b, join a startup as like their first PM.
计划C,加入一家大公司担任产品经理。
Plan c, join a big company as a PM.
计划D:为公司提供建议,成为一名顾问之类的人。
Plan d, advise companies, become a consultant kind of person.
这些计划里没人想到我会做现在这个疯狂的事情。
No one in that plan was like, do this crazy thing that I do now.
在我探索创业想法的过程中,我有很多创业点子。
I had a lot of startup ideas as I was exploring the startup ideas.
你还记得吧,我当时一直在捣鼓、做原型、搞开发,同时私下还写一些我学到的东西和想分享的内容,你当时就问:你为什么在写东西?
As you remember, I was like, tinkering and prototyping and building stuff, and then on the side I was writing things that I learned and things I wanted to share, and you were just like, why are you writing?
你认为在网上写东西根本赚不到钱。
Why do you there's you can't make money on the Internet writing.
你应该去做你擅长的事——创业、开发、科技这类事情。
You should be doing this thing that you're good at, start ups and building and tech and stuff like that.
我只是说:我不知道。
And I'm just like, I don't know.
但似乎有一种内在的驱动力,所以我决定继续做下去。
It seems like there's a pull here, so I'm just gonna keep doing this.
我都没说过你擅长这件事
I don't even say things that you're good at.
我只是说,作为一个普通人,是这样的
I just said I just said, like, as a person Right.
这行根本赚不到钱
There's no money in this.
在互联网上写东西的话
Putting writing on the Internet.
对。
Yeah.
只有有人买我的书,我才能赚到钱。
I don't make money unless people buy my book.
没错。
Yeah.
打个广告哈。
Plug.
瞧好了。
Tada.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
所以,要回答你的问题,我可能会去找另一家公司创业,而且考虑到大多数初创公司都会失败,我大概也会失败。
So I guess to answer your question, I'd probably find another company to start, and I probably would have failed, considering most startups fail.
所以我可能会陷入这种状况:天啊,这真的值得做吗?
So I'd probably be in this, like, oh, no.
这东西是我该做的吗?
Is this thing a thing I should be doing?
我可能会在创业的挣扎路上奔波。
I'd be in a on the struggle bus of startup life, probably.
然后在那之后失败了,我大概会加入某家公司,当个产品经理。
And then probably after that failed, I would have joined some company, I guess, as a PM.
那么,回到你之前的问题,你觉得呢?
So then I guess going back to that question of what what do you think?
你认为有没有某个时刻,或者一系列时刻,促使你全身心投入到通讯中,甚至开始写那篇Medium文章,最终催生了这个通讯?
Do you think there's a moment or a collection of moments that led you to go full in on the newsletter or even start the newsletter, start the Medium post that led to the newsletter?
是的。
Yeah.
这绝对是多个时刻的积累。
It was definitely a collection of moments.
这就像一段小小的旅程,我跟着一个逐渐起效的线索走,心里想着:也许这里真有什么东西。
It's kind of this, like, little journey that I just followed pull that was starting to work, and I'm just like, maybe there's something here.
在那段旅程中,有几个关键时刻,其中一个就是我写的第一篇文章,这也是我第一次在互联网上发表内容。
So a few moments along that journey, one was the first thing I wrote on the end this is like the first thing I wrote on the Internet.
反响非常好。
Did very well.
那篇文章是关于我在Airbnb学到的东西。
It was this post on what I learned at Airbnb.
Medium 把它推荐了。
Like, Medium featured it.
它一下子传遍了各处。
It went all over the place.
布莱恩·切斯基把它分享给了整个公司。
Brian Chesky shared it with the whole company.
我为我分享的内容感到骄傲。
So proud of what I shared.
所以这是一个很好的时刻,让我觉得也许我真的有东西可以分享。
So that was a nice moment of, like, maybe I have something to share.
然后我在 Medium 上又写了幾篇,感觉事情真的在起作用。
And then I wrote a few more things on Medium at this point, and there's more of just, like, this is working.
人们似乎很喜欢。
People seem to like it.
后来我和朋友李·雅各布斯聊了聊,他现在是个风投,因为我跟他说我不清楚自己为什么要这么做。
Then I had a conversation with this with a friend, Lee Jacobs, who's a VC now, because I was telling him I don't know what I'm I don't know why I'm doing this.
我为什么要写呢?
Why am I writing?
这并不是未来。
This is not a future.
我应该专注于创业公司。
I should be focusing on the startup.
他只是说,你看起来很享受这个过程,人们也似乎很喜欢,这种你既享受又被人认可的事情非常罕见,你有多常遇到既喜欢又有人重视的事?也许未来有办法从中赚钱。
And he's just like, you seem to be enjoying it, people seem to be liking it, which is very rare, that Venn diagram of things, just like how often do you enjoy something and people value it, and maybe there's a way to make money in in the future.
所以他的建议是,也许就去追求这个,加倍投入,说不定会有出路。
So his advice is just maybe pursue that and double down on that, and maybe it'll go somewhere.
那是一个关键时刻。
So that was a moment.
另一个可能重要的时刻,是做了九个月的通讯。
Another maybe big moment was nine months of doing the newsletter.
于是我决定转到Substack。
So I decided I'm gonna move to Substack.
我会每周都写。
I'm gonna write every week.
我发了推文,说我要尝试做一个每周通讯,看看会怎么样。
I tweeted, I'm gonna experiment with a newsletter, weekly newsletter, see how it goes.
于是我就每周都这么做,持续了九个月,我记得在九个月时有个瞬间,我想:我已经连续每周写了九个月,那我大概还能再写九个月。
And so I did that every week for nine months, and I just remember this moment nine months in where I was like, I've been doing this every week for nine months, which means I could probably do this for nine more months.
这叫林迪效应。
There's this Lindy effect.
我不知道你是否知道,有个概念叫‘林迪’,意思是某事物已经持续了多久,它未来很可能至少还会持续那么久。
I don't know if you know this, but there's this concept of a thing something being Lindy, which is as long as it's been going for, it will most likely last at least that long in the future.
所以我想到,好吧,我至少还能再做一年。
So I thought that, okay, I could do this for at least probably another year.
我有这么多想法和想写的东西,那就继续做下去吧。
I have all these ideas and things I wanna write about, so let me just keep doing this.
于是我就决定设置付费墙,开始收费,看看能不能靠这件事赚钱。
So that's when I decided to add the paywall and start charging and to see if I could make money doing this thing.
另外,当时处境危险,你知道的,我这么做是基于一个假设,即我的Airbnb股票会值钱,我可以利用这段时间去探索。
Also, in peril, as you know, I was doing this based on the assumption that my Airbnb stock was gonna be worth something and I could take this time to explore.
然后疫情来了,Airbnb可能完蛋了。
And then COVID hit and Airbnb might have is like over.
Twitter上到处都是悼念Airbnb的帖子。
R I p Airbnb all over Twitter.
我当时想,也许我真的该去找份工作了。
And I was like, maybe I need to get a job for real.
于是我心想,我必须从这件事上赚钱。
And so I'm like, I gotta make money on this thing.
让我试试看。
Let me try.
所以我就设置了付费墙,结果成功了。
So that's when I started the paywall and so and it worked.
我想,那就是另一个关键时刻了。
That's like the other moment, I think.
我设置了付费墙,结果成功了,你知道的。
I launched the paywall and it worked, you know.
一个月内我就赚到了可观的收入。
I made meaningful dollars like a month in.
说到文氏图,你说你擅长这个,而且人们也喜欢?
So speaking of Venn diagram, you said, I'm good at it and I and I And people like it?
而且人们很喜欢。
And people like it.
哦,我也喜欢做这个。
Oh, and I like doing it.
你喜欢
You like
做这个真的很棒,因为我之前没提到这一点。
doing That's a really good, because I didn't mention that.
好的。
Okay.
这太对了。
That's so that's so true.
这确实非常重要。
That it's Well, like that's so important.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
我觉得生活意义是五件事。
I think ikigai is like five things.
对吧?
Right?
它包含了很多内容。
It's like a whole bunch of stuff.
对。
Yeah.
但那算是个触发点吧,因为就只是大家喜欢这件事,而且我也擅长做这个。
But that's like a trigger point because it was just like people like it and I'm good at it.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
但要是没有那个外在因素的话,我本身其实是很享受这件事的。
But without that, I actually enjoy it.
我记得你之前提过,我还挺喜欢的
I think you said I and I liked
这点。
it.
真的挺喜欢的。
Like it.
好了。
Okay.
酷。
Cool.
你仍然喜欢它吗?
Do you still like it?
在几乎所有方面我都喜欢。
I do in almost every way.
比如,我无法想象做其他任何比这更有成就感和更有趣的事情。
Like, I can't imagine doing something more fulfilling and interesting.
简单来说,我的工作就是写一些有趣的内容,分享人们的深刻见解和经历,采访人物并提炼智慧。
Just basically, job is to write about things that are interesting and share people's interesting insights and experiences and interview people and extract wisdom.
这真的太有趣了。
It's just like so interesting.
这是属于我自己的事情,这让它更加有趣。
It's my own thing, which makes it extra interesting.
但我经常想到一位叫Finch的艺术家,他写过一篇博客文章,叫《如何成为一位艺术家》。
But I think a lot about this artist, Finch, wrote this blog post, how to become an artist.
在他的帖子开头,他就说,你很可能不应该成为职业艺术家,是的。
And at the top of his post, he's just like, you you should not become a professional artist, most likely, yeah.
因为一旦它变成你必须去做的事情,它就变了。
Because Because once it's a thing you have to do, it changes it.
你知道,你必须去做它。
You have, you know, you have to do it.
所以现在我意识到,这是它的缺点,
So now I'm on this like, this is the downside,
但我想先说明一下,
but I just wanna preface with
我说这太棒了,我无法想象还有其他任何事情能让我更享受。
saying this is incredible and I can't imagine doing anything else that I enjoy more.
但每周必须写一篇帖子、发布一期播客,就像站在一个跑步机上,你必须适应这种状态。
But having to write a post or put out a post every single week and a podcast episode every week, It's like this treadmill that you're on, so you have to kind of get used to that.
这部分并不有趣。
That part is no fun.
但再说一遍,我想不出还有什么比这更好的事了,这种感觉时起时落。
But again, I can't think of anything better that I could be doing, and it kinda goes up and down.
有时候,我真的特别喜欢它。
Sometimes, like, I love it.
我非常开心能每周都写点东西,但有些周我又觉得,这周不写也挺好。
I'm so happy I get to write a thing every single week, and then some weeks I'm like, it'd be cool not to do it this week.
但这就是这种生活的一部分,你知道的。
But that's part of this life, you know.
因为如果不是这样,你就无法做到。
Because otherwise, you can't do this.
如果你不能持续地做下去,每周都把它做到极致,你就无法在这种方式下生存。
You can't you can't survive in this way if you're not doing something consistently and making it awesome every week.
所以这是其中的一部分。
So it's a part of it.
所以我脑海中一直浮现的画面就是《夺宝奇兵》里的巨石在追着我跑,因为你一发布内容,比如我发了一篇帖子,
So the visual I always have is the Indiana Jones boulder is chasing me constantly because you put out something, like I have a post come out.
今天是星期几?
What's today?
我们今天是星期三录的。
We're recording on Wednesday.
我昨天发了一篇文章,然后我就想,下周该做什么?
I had a post come out yesterday, and then I'm it's like, what's next week?
好吧。
Alright.
搞定啦。
That's done.
你投入的所有努力,都结束了。
All that work you put into it, over.
下周一要发布了,每周都是这样。
It's coming out next week, and it's like every week.
所以,我目前没有答案的一个大问题是,这一切长远来看会走向何方。
So the big question I don't have an answer to is where this all goes long term.
因为总有一天,不管你是70岁、100岁还是60岁,我不确定,也许我再也无法每周都做这个了。
Because someday, whether it's a a 70 years old or a 100 years old or 60 years old, I don't know, like, maybe I won't be able to do this every single week.
所以我一直在想,这一切最终会走向哪里。
So I think about where does this all go.
我觉得没有人能回答,像Substack作者、播客这种生活方式的长期前景。
I don't think there's a answer to, like, substack writer podcast life long term.
那你到底该怎么做呢?
Like, what do you do?
根据林迪效应来看的话。
Like, according to the Lindy.
对吧?
Right?
就是这样。
There you go.
2019年那会儿,结果是七年
So 2019 turned out seven
再多几年。
more years.
七年了,从发通讯开始。
Seven years since the newsletters.
七年了。
Seven years.
所以我可以,是的。
So I can yeah.
祝你好运。
Good luck.
再七年。
Seven more years.
灵感用尽了。
Run out of ideas.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们有七年了。
So we got seven years.
我能做到。
I I can do that.
是的。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
说到那块巨石,你看起来不像个压力很大的人,我觉得你也不是个压力大的人。
So speaking of the boulder, you don't seem like a stressed out person, and I don't see you as a stressed out person.
只是像如厕训练、幼儿或婴儿睡眠这类事情。
Only, like, potty training, sleep the toddler or baby sleep stuff.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得你不是个压力大的人。
I don't see you as a stressed out person.
你认为那背后有什么原因吗?
Do you think there's anything behind that?
你觉得这只是你自己的问题吗?
Do you think that's just you?
还是你只是压力大?
And or are you just stressed?
而且你并不表现出来。
And doesn't you don't show it.
我觉得我确实比表面上表现出来的、甚至比我自己意识到的要更紧张一些。
I think there's an element of I am more stressed than I come across as and even recognize with myself.
比如,我有时候会头痛。
Like, I get these headaches sometimes.
我会想,那到底是怎么回事?
I'm like, what is going on there?
那是压力造成的,还是别的原因?
Is that stress or is that something else?
所以我认为,我可能比表面上看起来更紧张,甚至比我自己意识到的还要紧张,但我认为我可能比普通人压力小得多。
So I think there's a bit of I'm probably more stressed than it looks like and that I even feel, but I think I'm probably less stressed than the average person.
我认为这其中有部分是遗传因素,另一部分是我自己在努力调整。
I think part of it is genetics, and then part of it is I I work on it.
比如,我已经学会调整自己的思维方式,以减轻压力,不把事情看得太重。
Like, I just have learned to adjust the way I think to reduce stress and to not take things seriously.
但说实话,我觉得大概有70%是遗传因素。
But I think I I think honestly, it's probably, like, 70% genetics.
我就觉得,一切都会好起来的。
I'm just like, it'll be alright.
一切都会好起来的。
It'll be alright.
你知道的,你身上有点奇怪的事,但那也没关系。
As you know, something weird with you, but that'll be alright.
那就像生鸡肉一样。
That's some like raw chicken.
这会没事的。
That'll be fine.
这没问题。
That's fine.
所以
So
好的。
okay.
你有什么工具吗?我知道你尝试过不同类型的冥想。
Do you have any tools or any kind of like I know you've done med different types of meditation.
我们一起上过呼吸课程。
We've done breathing course together.
是的。
Yeah.
你有什么最喜欢的吗?
You know, what do you have a favorite?
你
Do
哦,为了放松和减压
you Oh, to, like, calm down and de stress
在你写那篇文章之前,你刚完成了一个十天的静默冥想,对吧?
And you did you did a ten day silent meditation right before you ended up writing the post.
嗯。
Mhmm.
确实如此。
That's true.
确实如此。
That's true.
那是一次深刻的领悟。
That was a big wisdom.
哦,有件事我从未分享过。
Oh, here's something I've never shared.
好的。
Okay.
你问起那些让我走上如今生活的时刻。
You asked about going back to the moments that led me to this life.
所以我和一些朋友去参加了一次单身派对旅行。
So I went on a bachelor party trip with some friends.
这可不是你想象的那样。
This isn't where you think it's going.
希望不是。
I hope not.
那次是和一个朋友去约书亚树,旅途中用了致幻剂。
So it was a trip to Joshua Tree with a friend, and there were psychedelics involved on this trip.
我记得我们去了约书亚树,我坐在一块石头上,当时正处于某种物质的影响下,而那时我刚开始写通讯,我就那样坐在同一个地方,大概三个小时,一直进行着深呼吸,脑海中不断浮现一句话:我有智慧可以分享。
And I just remember so we went to Joshua Tree, I just sat down on this rock on a substance of some sort, and and this was as I was starting the newsletter, and I just remember sitting there for probably three hours in this one spot, and I was just having this deep breathing happening and this, like, phrase of I have wisdom to share coming through me over and over and over.
我还看到了一种奇妙的视觉景象,像是坐着的佛陀,反复地浮现着‘我有智慧可以分享’这句话,整整持续了三个小时。
And I was just watching this crazy visualization of some kind of sitting Buddha thing, and it's just, like, I have wisdom to share and that was for three hours.
那件事就让你开始写帖子了吗?
That made you write the post?
那件事让我觉得我能做到这件事。
That made me feel like I can do this.
它给了我信心,让我觉得,好吧,也许我确实有东西可以分享。
Like, it gave me the confidence that like, okay, maybe I do have things to share.
对。
Yeah.
那个瞬间真的很有冲击力,它给了我底气,让我意识到自己身体里确实有这样一股力量,对,就是那种感觉。
That was a really powerful moment just to give give me confidence that there's something inside me that's, like, oh, yeah.
或许我真的能做成这件事。
Maybe I I could do this thing.
所以那是一个意义重大的转折点。
So that was a big moment.
你现在有没有什么话想对我们的妈妈们说?
Do you wanna say what do you wanna say to our mothers right now?
你想把这拿回去吗?
Do wanna take this back?
你妈妈甚至都不想把它拿回去?
My mom didn't you wanna even take that back?
不。
No.
不。
No.
你想把它裁掉吗?
Do you wanna crop it out?
这是K,妈妈。
This is k, mom.
我做了我
I did I
做了一些
did some
我做了,这还行。
I did It's some okay.
我们没事。
We okay.
所以这是
So It's
是时候分享了。
time to time to share.
然后,是的,你进行了十天的冥想,你做了一种特定类型的冥想,在我看来,这种冥想对你产生了身体上的影响。
And then, yeah, you've done you did ten day meditation, you did a specific type of meditation that that seemed to me to to affect you in, like, physical ways.
是的。
Yeah.
然后你曾经跟我提过你参加过一个幸福课程。
And then you told me once about a happiness course you took.
对。
Yeah.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
那门课其实给我带来了挺大的改变。
That was actually pretty transformative.
我当时在宾夕法尼亚大学参加了一门关于幸福心理学的线上课程,课程里全是剖析“什么能让人更幸福”以及“如何变得更幸福”的相关科学研究。
I took this online course at University of Pennsylvania about the psychology of happiness, and it was basically all the science of what makes you happier and how to be happier.
那门课对我的影响真的很大,因为它让我明白,只要做几件小事,就能提升自己的基准幸福水平。
And that really had a big impact on me because it showed you you can increase your baseline level of happiness by doing a few things.
其中一件事就是,要多往积极的方向想,也就是变得更乐观一些。
And one of the things is just, like, thinking more positively, like, thinking more optimistically.
还有一些感恩相关的练习我觉得没那么有用,但核心的点是,所有人都有一个基准线。
There's also, like, gratitude stuff that I didn't find as useful, but there's just something about you can everyone's got this baseline.
那门课里有个很重要的收获就是,每个人都有自己的幸福基准线,你可能最高到100分,也可能跌到0分,不过大多数人都是处在这两个区间里的某个位置。
That was actually a big learning from that course is everyone's just kinda those baseline level of happiness, and you could be, like, at a 100, you could be at zero, probably more most people are in between somewhere.
要是有什么很棒的事发生,你会开心得飘起来,幸福值骤升,但之后还是会回到那个基准线上。
And, like, something amazing happens, you go, oh, yeah, way up in happiness, and then you come back to that baseline.
就算发生了什么糟心事,最后你还是会回归到那个基准线。
Something terrible happens, you go back to that baseline.
你能做的最主要的事情就是努力提升这个基线,这样你就能回归到一个更高的水平。
And the main thing you can do is work on improving that baseline so that you come back to a higher place.
所以,这正是这门课所教授的大部分内容。
So that's what a lot of the work is and what you learn in that class.
其中一件事就是保持乐观,拥有积极的心态,不要让自己的思绪陷入‘这下完了’的消极循环。
And one of the things is just be optimistic, just kinda have a positive outlook and don't let your mind kind of spiral into these, like, it's gonna be terrible.
所以,这主要是关于多想想积极的一面,我觉得我的幸福基线确实提高了。
So it was a lot of just, like, think more positively, and I feel like my baseline of level of happiness has gone up.
而且我觉得,是的。
And I think that yeah.
你还告诉我运动,比如以前会跑步。
And you told me exercise too, like, used to run.
对。
Yes.
那真是一个很好的洞见。
That was a really good insight.
所以运动,当时的科学说法是,大概十五年前的事了。
So exercise, the the science this was like, I don't know, fifteen years ago.
我猜现在有新的研究了,但有趣的是,运动并不会让你更快乐,但它能让你摆脱负面状态。
I'm guessing there's new research, but the interesting thing there is exercise doesn't make you happier, but it brings you out of the negative.
所以你不运动时是负一,运动后你就回到零,基本上就不会抑郁了。
So you're negative one without exercise, and exercise brings you to zero, so that you're not depressed, basically.
说到压力
Speaking of stress
好的。
Okay.
我有个问题想问你。
Then I have a question for you.
哦,好的。
Oh, okay.
我们来聊聊吧。
Let's do this.
我们开始吧。
Let's do this.
因为我知道在你的播客里,你有一个快问快答环节。
Because I know on your podcast, you have a lightning round.
好的。
Okay.
我们要来个雷电速答。
We're gonna do a thunder round.
更快一点吗?
That extra fast?
那是什么意思?
Or what does that mean?
不是。
No.
是声音。
It's sound.
我认为最让你感到压力的一件事是你的选择性声音厌恶症,你能解释一下这是什么吗?
Your one thing that I think stresses you out the most at times is your misophonia, which is you wanna explain what it is?
是的。
Yeah.
说起来有点好笑,但这是一种真正的障碍。
It's like it's funny to talk about it, but it's this it's like this disorder.
这是一种大脑中的真实状况,我会被某些声音困扰,尤其是别人吃东西时发出的声音。
It's like a real thing in the brain where I get bothered by certain sounds, and so I get very bothered by people eating with
好的。
my Okay.
雷电环节要列出你最讨厌的五种声音,或者你可以给这些声音排个序。
Thunder round is gonna be top five worst sounds, or you can rank these sounds.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
你要给我列出来的是
You're gonna give me the
五个声音,从最好听到最难听排序。
five Like like, best best sound to worst sound.
好的。
Okay.
对吧?
Right?
那比如说,10分是最糟糕的。
So like, 10 is worst.
好的。
Okay.
那都有哪些声音啊
What are like
不对,10分是最好的。
10 is best.
我不知道。
I don't know.
最好的声音是什么?
What are the best sounds?
好的。
Okay.
什么是好?
What's okay.
好的。
Okay.
比如说咀嚼。
Let's say chewing.
咀嚼,从1到10。
Chewing one to 10.
咀嚼时嘴巴张开着,只是
Chewing like with mouth open just
咀嚼时最糟糕的那种。
Chewing like with the worst.
是的。
Yeah.
我讨厌这个。
I hate it.
10是最糟糕的。
10 is the worst.
10是最糟糕的。
10 is the worst.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道的,这可能就是那种情况,是的。
It's, you know, it's probably it's in yeah.
就是10。
It's 10.
九或十。
Nine or 10.
或者像指甲刮黑板那样,那是什么?
Or like nails on a chalkboard, what's that?
那对我来说没那么糟。
That's like less bad for me.
对。
Right.
是多少分?
What's the number?
比如,有个人坐在我旁边,不停地大口咀嚼。
Like, it's someone sitting right next to me just like chomping away
是的。
Yeah.
要叫任何人停下来,真的很难开口。
And it's so awkward to ask anyone to stop.
我讨厌这样做。
I hate doing that.
这就像
It's like
真的很奇怪,你就会想:闭嘴。
so weird that you're like, shut up.
你真好。
You're sweet.
但就是,什么?
But it's just like, what?
是的。
Yeah.
我就坐在这儿吃饭。
I'm just sitting here eating.
别管我。
Leave me alone.
是的。
Yeah.
每当我无意中在你附近做这件事时,我就是这种感觉。
That's how I feel whenever I do it by accident near you.
是的。
Yeah.
所以是十。
So 10.
所以就像指甲刮黑板一样。
So nails on a chalkboard.
什么?
What's?
就像是六。
It's like six.
我不知道。
I don't know.
五。
Five.
至于我不介意这个。
What about I don't mind this.
那婴儿哭声呢?婴儿哭声和你自己的宝宝哭声相比怎么样?
What about like a baby crying or your what's a baby crying versus your baby crying?
婴儿哭声,所以10是最糟糕的吗?
Baby crying, like so 10 is the worst?
是的。
Yeah.
那么有多响?
So like how loud?
非常响吗?
Like very loud?
就像新生儿阶段那样,完全不知道该怎么办,就像
Like like in in newborn phase, like like, didn't know what to do, like
哦,对。
Oh, yeah.
那真的是……裘德出生的时候发生的吗?
That was really like, when when Jude was born?
是的。
Yeah.
哦,没错。
Oh, yeah.
那还挺难熬的。
That's pretty hard.
闪电问答环节。
Thunder round.
好的。
Okay.
打个分的话,是8分。
Like, eight.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
那当朱德说'是的'的时候呢?
What about, like, when Jude says Yeah.
一是最好的。
One one is the best.
是的。
Yeah.
而且
And
你还有没有其他声音觉得
Is there any other sound you
朱德笑的声音。
Jude laughing.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
那其他糟糕的声音呢?
What about, like, another bad sound?
我不知道。
I don't know.
好的。
Okay.
你现在如果想问的话,可以问我。
You can you can ask me now if you want.
好的。
Okay.
如果你感到压力大的话。
If you're getting stressed.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
其实没那么多难听的声音。
Like, there's not that many bad sounds.
就是一些特别具体的声音,我会觉得……
It's just like very specific bad sounds that I'm just like.
篮球?
Basketball?
你
You
你知道,如果我正想平静下来,但周围一片嘈杂,那就糟了。
know, if there's just like if I'm trying to calm like be calm and there's like a bunch of commotion, like, okay.
比如那种鼓风机的声音,你知道的。
Like a gas, you know, blower.
哦。
Oh.
是的。
Yeah.
当我试图工作的时候。
When I'm trying to work.
我认为这对很多人来说都是个众所周知的问题。
That's I think a notorious one for people.
什么?
What?
这是十分级的吗?
Is that a 10?
如果声音特别大,而且就在我的脸旁边,我会说,比如七分吧。
It's like if it's super loud and right in my face, I would say, let's say a seven.
好的。
Okay.
没那么糟。
Not so bad.
你现在可以问你的问题,或者我还有更多问题要问你。
You can ask your question now if you want, or I have more for you.
我打算问你一个问题。
I'm gonna ask you a question.
所以你制作了这些令人惊叹、天才又幽默的图表。
So so you make these incredible, genius, funny charts.
这本书里有一个例子。
There's one example on this book.
所以你这里有第一本书,叫《我是不是想得太多了》,很多人感同身受,卖出了很多本。
So you have this first book here called Am I Overthinking This, which a lot of people identify with, has sold many copies.
所以你创作了这些图表,试图归纳生活中的各种事物、人们经历和感受的东西。
So you're you create all these charts that try to synthesize things in life, things people experience, things people feel.
这些图表中的很多都被人们在社交媒体上分享,但他们偷走了你的图表,假装是自己做的,或者只是说他们偶然发现的,并删掉了你的署名。
A lot of these charts get shared on socials by people that steal your charts and just pretend like they made this or just found it and they cut out your attribution.
他们把这些图表印在枕头和马克杯上,
They make pillows and mugs, and
还有许多网站在出售所有这些
there's like all these websites that sell all
你创作的图表,却完全不给你任何署名。
these charts you've made just like on swag that you get no credit for.
我知道这些年来这让你非常困扰。
I know it's bothered you a lot over the years.
你的图表为什么如此容易被分享,如此广泛传播?
What makes your charts so shareable, so widely?
它们为什么经常如此病毒式传播?
How why they go so viral so often?
顺便说一句,我已经不再关注这些了,因为这对我没有帮助。
By the way, I stopped looking at that because it doesn't help me.
总之,这样挺好。
Anyway That's good.
我觉得这样
I think that's
是最好的。
for the best.
想想看,
Well, think like
这才是好的。
That's the good.
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得随着你的事业越来越成功,这对我来说就没那么重要了。
I think as your thing has gotten more successful, it's like not as important to me.
我觉得有趣的是,这些作品常常和我脱节了,我不知道为什么。
I do think it's interesting that they are often like detached from me, is I don't know why.
但是
But
对
Yeah.
人们都想争取到该有的功劳
People wanna get credit.
当他们付出了的时候就该如此
When they do.
而且我觉得我能想明白其中一部分原因,我创作的时候就能感觉到,不管是我做完就先把它放一边,之后突然发生了某个契机,还是我猛地反应过来‘哦,不对’
And it's I I think I can figure out some of them, it's clear when I make it, Whether it's like, I make it and then I let it sit, and then some other some, like, moment happens, or I'm like, oh, no.
这才是它真正需要的东西
This is what it needs.
然后我就会觉得,现在我能感觉到这个作品真的很不错了
And then I'm like, now it's now I can feel that's really good.
而且通常来说,这个改动哪怕是我自己做的,都会让我忍不住笑出声,甚至是咯咯直乐
And usually, it's like, it's something that makes me laugh or cackle even though I made it.
就好像,哦,我脑子里已经见过这个了,但还是觉得好笑。
It's like like it's like, oh, I've already seen this in my own brain and it's still funny to me.
或者它让我有点想哭,然后我就觉得,好吧。
Or it makes me kind of, like, tear up, then I feel like, okay.
我觉得人们会喜欢这个。
I think people are gonna like this.
我经常弄错。
I am often wrong.
而且有时候,那本书里有些内容我根本没分享过,但有人拍了照片。
And sometimes too, like, there are things there's something from that book that I didn't share at all, but someone took a photo of it.
这就是它走红的原因。
That's how it went viral.
就是一张书页的照片,人们却特别喜欢。
It's like just a photo of a page of a book that people loved.
甚至都不是什么数字高清照片。
Like, wasn't even like a digital high quality picture.
就只是一张随意的照片。
It's just like some random photo.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
这也很有趣。
Which is interesting as well.
还有,现在人们的注意力跨度,我通常喜欢制作一些非常简单、快速,能让你看到之前从未想过的东西。
And also people's attention spans, sometimes they're just what I what I like to make is things that are really simple, and quick, and show you something you haven't thought of before.
我觉得,如果内容很容易理解,现在人们的注意力跨度都很短。
And I think that if it's really easy to digest, people's attention spans are short these days.
如果它能引发他们的情感,那就是另一回事了。
If it makes them feel something, is another thing.
而且,制作一些不需要太多体力劳动的东西也很不错。
And it's also nice to make something that isn't a lot of, like, physical labor.
因为有些东西你做起来可能要花上很久才能完成。
Because some things you can make and it can take you forever to draw out.
因为我的大脑就是这样过度思考的,一会儿想这个,然后又想那个,再想别的。
Because my brain does work in this, like, overthinking kind of way of, like, this, but then, oh, this, then this.
人们喜欢简单的东西。
People like it when it's really simple.
是的。
Yeah.
我喜欢你提到的观点,比如判断一个图表是否完成,本质上是你自己觉得这太好笑了,让你发笑,让你有感觉,这和我思考我的通讯文章的方式很相似,尤其是通讯文章,而不是播客,在我看来,它就是让我觉得特别有趣、特别棒。
I love your point about, like, the way you know a chart is done is intrinsically you feeling like this is hilarious, this is makes you laugh, makes you feel something, and it's similar to the way I think about my newsletter post, and yeah, more the newsletter than the podcast is it just to me, it feels like this is, like, really interesting and really good.
这完全不需要等待别人给你认可或反馈。
It's very, like, not waiting for other people to give you, you know, approval or feedback.
就是我觉得这个很好。
It's like, I feel this is good.
我觉得这种思维方式和我处理自己东西的方式很相似,这真的很有趣。
And I think that's really interesting that that's similar to the way I approach my stuff.
我发现当你制作图表时,你会想得特别深,有时候太过聪明了,我觉得正如你所说,人们的注意力持续时间很短,所以这些图表有时太过复杂,我得提醒自己:这层叠太多,需要理解的东西太多了,有点过头了。
I find that when you work on your charts, you're like you think so many levels deep, they're like they're like so they're like too clever sometimes, and I feel like because to your point, people have a short attention span, sometimes they're like too clever, and I have to like, okay, this is too many layers you have to understand, and I have to like that's a little much.
你得稍微简化一下。
You have to like simplify it a little bit.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
你有时候就是我的编辑。
You're my editor sometimes.
我试过,但你总说:不行。
I try it, but you're like, no.
你总说:我不在乎。
You're like, I don't care.
我不在乎,拉奇茨基,但是
I don't I don't care Rachitsky, but
不。
No.
你通常可能是对的。
You're you're usually probably right.
是的。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
我再问你一个问题,然后我们再换回来。
Let me ask you one more question, and then we could switch it around again.
你是怎么想到你的图表创意的?
Do you come up with your ideas for your charts?
你的创意种类真多。
You have so many such variety.
你曾经做过一本成人书籍。
You had an adult book.
你以前出过儿童书,现在又有一本儿童书。
You had a children's now you have a children's book.
你正在为父母们制作图表之类的东西。
You're working on, like, charts for parents.
你还有其他一大堆事情在进行。
You have all this other stuff going on.
你的创意来自哪里,米歇尔?
Where do your ideas come from, Michelle?
创意来自于生活本身,以及留意很多事物。
The ideas come from just living life and noticing noticing a lot of things.
然后也经常去观察。
And then also kind of observing a lot.
我知道,当我冥想的时候,我的创作特别多产。
I I know that I've been really prolific when I've been meditating.
在冥想中,你会学会观察自己的思维。
And in meditation, you learn to kind of observe your own thinking.
如果你对某件事感到焦虑,比如,哦,我竟然会对这么随机的事情感到焦虑,我以前从没这样想过,这很有趣,因为这有点像是在每一个时刻都过度思考,而冥想本不该教你这样做。
And if you're anxious about something, like, oh, I'm that's funny that I was anxious about that random thing that I I've never thought about it that way before and which is interesting because it is kind of, like, overthinking every moment, which meditation shouldn't be teaching you to do.
但这就是会发生的事。
But that's what happens.
但我发现,如果我过于专注于工作,就会停止真正地生活,然后也就失去了灵感。
But I've noticed if I focus too much on my work, I stop living life, and then I stop having ideas.
儿童读物的情况有点不同,这正是我目前在做的,因为它们并不是关于那些贴近生活的内容。
And it's a little different with children's books, which is what I'm working on right now, because it's not like relatable things.
有一点相关,但更多是关于儿童的概念。
A little bit, but it's more children's concepts.
但成年人的灵感只能来自真实的生活体验。
But the adult stuff has to be just through living life.
观察。
Noticing.
是的。
Yeah.
是的
Yeah.
觉察
Noticing.
让我对此有所思考。
Makes me think about it.
我觉得大卫·塞达里斯讲过一个故事,说他必须答应所有邀请,因为他需要积累经历。
I think David Sedaris had this story where he's just has to say yes to everything he's invited to just because he needs to have experiences.
因为他必须不断产出故事。
Because he just has to keep pumping out stories.
所以他就会说:‘好啊,我们现在就去拉斯维加斯吧。’
So he's just like, sure, let's go to Vegas right now.
我们去吧。
Let's do it.
所以我觉得,这里很多工作其实就是去真实地生活。
So I feel like that's a lot of the work here is just to live real life.
你不能只是坐在那里空想点子。
You can't just kinda sit there and come up with ideas.
你得去尝试各种事情,做些疯狂的事。
You have to try stuff and do crazy things.
是的。
Yeah.
所以我的第一本儿童读物,很快就要出版了,这本书其实是源于观察为人父母和新手父母的那些瞬间。
So the first so my first children's book, which is is out soon, that one actually came out of kind of observing parenthood and early new parenthood moments.
我就是从这里开始的。
That's how I started.
我刚开始写《笔记本》的时候,试着为新手父母做些图表。
I started at the beginning of The Notebook, writing kind of like trying to make charts for new parents.
但我们一起读了太多儿童读物,以至于我脑子里自然而然地形成了儿童读物的韵律。
But we'd been reading so many kids' books together that I just had this, like, like, rhythm in my head of children's books.
于是我转到笔记本的背面,开始写一些更像儿童读物的押韵诗——就是写在笔记本背面的那些?
And so what it I just turned to the back of the notebook and started writing more like children's book rhymes involving This the back of a notebook?
因为你正在写另一本书,只是在这个笔记本里,我
Because you're working on a different book and you're just in this notebook, I
哦,这个是
Oh, this is
笔记本?
the notebook?
我把我的问题写在了后面,对。
Put my questions in for Yeah.
所以我一开始在前面写,不过我不给你看。
So I started off in the front I'm not gonna show you.
所以你从前面开始,写了一个不同的想法。
So you started in the front on a different idea.
我一开始在前面写,是给新手父母的图表。
I started off in the front, charts for new parents.
然后我就想,写了一些,你知道的,写了不少了。
And then I was like, got, you know, a few in, you know, like a good amount in.
然后我在公园里,对吧,突然就想,是啊,我其实一直想为孩子或婴儿做这些图表。
And then I was just in the park, right, and then I kinda was just like, yeah, but I I have always wanted to do these charts for kids or for babies.
我就是一直想写这些内容。
And I just kept wanting to write that.
所以我从后往前开始,然后就这样填满了整本。
So I started in the back, and then I filled it up that way.
我很喜欢这一点,这又是另一个追随内心驱动力的例子,而不是只做你原本在做的事。
I love that this is another example of just following pull, and not just doing the thing that you're doing.
就是觉得这个在吸引我,我要试试看,看看会走向哪里。
Just like, this is pulling me in, I'm gonna try it, and just see where it goes.
看看这个。
Look at this.
真是个巧妙的呼应。
What a callback.
好的。
Okay.
现在轮到你了,米歇尔。
Back to you, Michelle.
好的。
Okay.
轮到你了。
Back to you.
轮到我了。
Back to me.
轮到你了,伦尼。
Back you, Lenny.
通过我轮到你。
Back to you through me.
通过你。
Through you.
没错。
Exactly.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
所以告诉我吧,我确实想问你这个问题。
So tell me about I I do wanna ask you this question.
受一个朋友的启发,他会给你起反向昵称,比如叫你伦纳德。
Inspired by a friend who, like, reverse nicknames you, and says, like, Leonard.
你的全名是伦纳德吗?
Is your name full name Leonard?
Lenny 这个名字是怎么来的?
Where's Lenny come from?
反向昵称的意思是,他们未经你要求就给你起了个昵称。
And by the reverse nickname meaning they give you a nickname without you, like, asking them to
确实有些人会在你没要求的情况下给你起昵称。
Well, there's people who give you a nickname without you asking.
是的。
Yeah.
那就是对。
That's yes.
是的。
Yeah.
他给你全名。
He gives you the full name.
哦,我明白了。
Oh, I see.
这让名字变长了。
Makes it long.
是的。
Yeah.
这没什么特别的。
It's not a thing.
我只是
I just
取消昵称。
Unnickname.
好的。
Okay.
就像那样。
Like that.
好的。
Okay.
所以问题在于我的真实姓名,当我从乌克兰搬到美国时,我们最近在与鲍里斯的播客中聊过这个,结果发现那是个非常非常著名的城市敖德萨。
So the question is my well, my real name so when I moved to The US from The Ukraine, which we recently chatted about on a podcast with Boris, which turned out to be a big big muse Odessa.
人们。
People.
敖德萨。
Odessa.
是的
Yeah.
我父母给我取的名字是列昂尼德,这是我在美国的正式名字,但他们叫我伦尼。
My parents named me Leonid, was my real official first name in The US, but they called me Lenny.
大家都叫我伦尼。
Everyone called me Lenny.
当我们成为公民时,可以更改名字。
And so when we became citizens, you could change your name.
于是我的父母就把名字改成了伦尼。
And so my parents just changed it to Lenny.
所以这才是我的真名。
So it's my real name.
就只是伦尼。
It's just Lenny.
不是伦纳德。
No Leonard.
没有Leo。
No Leo.
是的。
Yeah.
没有。
No.
是的。
Yeah.
Leonard。
Leonard.
没有。
No.
就叫Lenny。
Just Lenny.
就叫Lenny。
Just Lenny.
是的。
Yeah.
我非常喜欢。
I love it.
还有列昂尼德,就像这是个俄罗斯名字,或者也指那个星座。
And Leonid, as in it's it's a Russian name, or there's also the, like, star constellation.
哦,是狮子座流星雨?
Oh, the Leonids?
狮子座流星雨。
Leonids.
我不清楚。
I don't know.
我觉得他们只是问朋友,我的俄语名字是洛尼亚,那它的英文版是什么?
I think they just ask their friends just like, what is my Russian name is Lonya, and so I think they just like, what's the English version of that?
我猜他们的朋友有些人就会说,Lenny。
And I'm guessing some of their friends are just like, Lenny.
我不确定他们是不是以什么特定的东西命名的。
I don't know if they named it after anything specific.
我可以分享一下你的昵称吗?
Can I share any of your nicknames?
我现在要猜一猜了。
I'm going to assume now.
我的昵称是什么?
What are my nicknames?
好的。
Okay.
说吧。
Go for it.
我不知道它们是什么。
I don't know what they are.
比如,Lunchik。
Like, lunchik.
好的。
Okay.
当然。
Sure.
我可以分享一下。
I could share that.
当然。
Sure.
你喜欢吗?
Do you like it?
是的。
Yeah.
人们都这么叫你吗?
Do people call you that?
嗯,它是
Well, it's
我家人就这么叫我。
like my family calls me that.
好的。
Okay.
是的。
Yeah.
这就像俄语里的‘是的’。
It's like a Russian yeah.
这是一个俄语的小昵称,叫‘lunchik’。
It's like a Russian little nickname, lunchik.
对。
Yeah.
你没事吧。
And you okay.
但是,陌生人能这么叫你吗?
But, like, strangers, can they call you that?
不。
No.
别这么叫我。
Don't call me that.
好的。
Okay.
说到陌生人,当有人接近你时,你感觉如何?会不会觉得奇怪?
And speaking of strangers, how do you feel when people approach you, and and is it weird at all?
就像像
Like like
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
这会让你想到你的通讯简报已经变得多大规模了吗?
Like, does it remind you how big your newsletter has gotten?
或者,你喜欢这样吗?
Or like, do you like it?
你喜欢以某种特定方式接近吗?
Do you like certain ways of approaching it?
是的。
Yeah.
所以我想你指的是,当我走在湾区时,人们经常认出我,这非常奇怪,而这一切始于我的播客,有趣的是,我的通讯稿已经做了四年了。
So I guess what you're speaking to is when I walk around the Bay Area in particular, people often recognize me, which is extremely weird, and started with the podcast once it's like, interestingly, I had the newsletter for four years.
是的。
Yeah.
你得低调一点,像隐身一样。
You got to be, like, you got to be stealth.
是的。
Yeah.
我的脸在Twitter头像上很小,但自从我开始做播客后,人们就都认出我了。
Like, my face was tiny and some Twitter profile, but I once I started the podcast, people just yeah.
第一次发生这种事时真的很奇怪,现在则经常发生了。
It just it was, like, very weird the first time it started happening, and then and now it happens quite a lot.
我特别喜欢这种被认出的感觉。
I like it a lot.
这真的很酷。
It's very cool.
我真的很感激大家的关注。
I really appreciate it.
这种感觉让我心里暖暖的。
It makes me feel really nice.
我完全不会为此感到困扰。
I am not bothered by it in any way.
这件事总让我觉得受宠若惊。
It always is very flattering.
大家都特别友善,总能说出一大堆暖心的话。
People are always so nice and just have endless nice things to say.
我从来没遇到过任何糟心的情况,大家都只是过来跟我打个招呼,所以欢迎大家来和我问好。
I've never had a bad experience, someone just trying to say hi to me, so please say hi.
什么是可接受的。
What are okay.
那太好了。
That's great.
我经常问别人他们最喜欢的播客集数或最喜欢的通讯是什么,因为我只是很好奇。
And I often ask people what's their favorite podcast episode or favorite newsletter, because I'm just curious.
我总是会问,比如你们的创始人、产品负责人,你们的故事是什么?
I I always ask just like, your founder, your product person, like, what's your story?
是的。
Yeah.
这真的很
It's really
如果你正在咖啡馆里,戴着耳机,有人过来打招呼,你觉得怎么样?
What about if you're in the middle of like, you're like at a coffee shop and you have headphones on and somebody says like, hey.
或者如果你正在和孩子玩,你觉得呢?
Or if you're like playing with your kid, what do you think?
我觉得你在投射。
I think you're projecting.
对。
Right.
那你不想要什么呢?
How about what you wouldn't want?
女孩。
Girl.
是的。
Yeah.
人们不会那样做。
People don't do that.
我觉得人们总体上都很有意识。
I think people have been generally very conscious.
你知道,可能会有一个时刻,我们正取得进展,但我不能聊太久,也不想显得不礼貌。
You know, there could be a moment of just like, we're getting somewhere and I can't talk for too long and I don't wanna be rude.
或者说你接下来得专心忙别的事了。
Or you're like gonna focus.
对。
Yeah.
不过话说回来,也确实是这样。
But but then yeah.
目前为止这都还没成为过问题。
It hasn't been a problem yet.
差不多99%的人都一直很体谅他人。
Almost like 99% of people have been very considerate.
对的。
Yeah.
而且我不希望大家觉得不能来找我、跟我说明这种情况。
And I don't want people to feel like they can't just talk to me and say that.
这很棒啊。
That's cool.
是的。
Yeah.
那太酷了。
That was so cool.
我喜欢这样。
I like that.
是的。
Yeah.
有没有什么令人愉快的实例
Is there any like instance of delightful
比如,第一次
Like, maybe the first time
这样
this
发生的时候,我们住在马林,我记得当时和你一起走过圣安塞尔莫,有个开着红色小车的男人带着他的儿子从旁边经过。
happened, we live in Marin, and I was walking over through San Anselmo with you, as you remember, and there's this guy in a little red car driving by with his son.
他开车经过,我们在人行道上,然后他突然大喊:Lenny,我超爱你的播客。
He's driving by and we're on the sidewalk, and then he just yells, Lenny, I love your podcast.
天啊。
God.
这甚至都不在旧金山。
And this wasn't even in San Francisco.
这发生在圣安塞尔莫。
It was in San Anselmo.
我震惊了,然后他竟然停车堵住交通,只为打个招呼。
And I was shocked, And then he just kept he like held up traffic just to say hello.
我心想:天哪。
I'm like, oh my god.
是的。
Yeah.
我不会这么做的。
I wouldn't do that.
是的。
Yeah.
大概我也不会这么做。
Probably wouldn't do that.
后来我又遇到了他。
And then I met him later.
他在马林经营一家汉堡俱乐部。
He runs a hamburger club in Marin.
他非常酷。
He's very cool.
因为我在另一家咖啡馆又见到了他。
Because I saw him again at another coffee shop.
这真是相当愉快。
So that was quite delightful.
我喜欢这个。
I love that.
好的。
Okay.
你刚才说了一点什么。
You just said something.
好的。
Okay.
有人来找你。
People coming up to you.
好的。
Okay.
你得剪掉这段。
You're gonna have to cut this.
你看,不行。
See, no.
我们不会剪掉,因为作为播客采访者,我也会经历同样的情况。
We're not gonna cut it because this is what I go through too as a podcast interviewer.
我刚才走神,忘了刚刚想到什么事了。
I thought of something I lost in.
这就是我一直以来都在应对的状况。
This is what I am constantly dealing with.
对。
Yeah.
这就是作为采访者要面对的一个难题。
That is a challenge of the interviewer.
哎呀,坏了。
Uh-oh.
我觉得让大家看到这些还挺有意思的,你当时就会在心里犯嘀咕:行吧。
I think it's fun for people to see because you're like, okay.
我得琢磨琢磨接下来要说什么。
I have to think about what's I'm gonna say next.
然后你又发现,他们突然停住了,这时候你就会想:我去,糟了。
And then you're like, they're stopping and you're like, oh, shit.
那会是什么?
What's gonna be?
所以这就是为什么我做播客时,一直在偷偷给自己写笔记。
So that's why on when I do the podcast, I'm secretly writing notes to myself constantly.
哦。
Oh.
所以好吧。
So Okay.
鸡笔记?
Chicken notes?
是的。
Yeah.
好吧。
Well, okay.
我关掉了我的好吧。
I closed my okay.
我本该把它写下来的。
I should have written it down.
让我们聊聊,回顾一下你当初开始这个通讯时的那些线索,或者你年轻时做过的一些现在依然相关的项目。
Let's talk about, like, thinking back to what what kind of hints that you would start this newsletter or, like, things that you worked on when you were younger that are Now it is.
比如一些稍微相关的东西,你知道的,因为你曾经有一些网站,有一个Atheist Spot,还有一些……
Like, little or, like, a j mildly adjacent or, you know, because you had some wet you had, like, some websites, you had atheist spot, you had, like, you had some
Uutorials。
Uutorials.
Uutorials。
Uutorials.
这是一个。
That's one.
所以问题是,我早年做过哪些事情帮助了我现在的这份工作?
So the question is, like, what are the things I did earlier that helped me with the work?
你知道吗?
Do you know?
或者吧。
Or yeah.
只是回头看,有没有什么迹象能明显看出你会创办这个通讯,或者更明显一点?
Just because just looking back, like, anything that that is kind of, like, makes it obvious that you would have started this newsletter or, like, a little more?
我不觉得有什么能让我或任何人预见到我会做现在这件事。
I don't think there's anything that would have pointed me or anybody to this being the thing that I do now.
这在个人层面上完全出人意料,
It's completely unexpected personally,
而且我
and I
没人预料到这一点。
don't think anyone saw it coming.
在开始写作之前,我从未在网上写过任何东西。
I had never written anything online before I started writing.
我从来不是那种‘嘿,看我,我什么都知道,我有无数智慧可以分享’的人。
I was always not like, hey, look at me, I've got all the answers, and I have all this wisdom to share.
我一直觉得自己是个内向的人,喜欢躲在幕后。
Was always like, I'm an introvert, I'd like to kind of stay behind the scenes.
所以这对我来说是一条非常意想不到的道路。
So it was a it's a very unexpected path for me.
我认为我能做到这一点的部分原因是,这份通讯是在疫情期间开始的,我可以一直坐在那里打字,把东西发布到网上。
And part of the reason I think I was able to do it is the newsletter started during COVID, I could just sit there and type and put stuff out online.
我不用出门,也不用跟大家打招呼。
I didn't have to go anywhere and, like, hello everyone.
我可以待在我自己的小角落里。
I could stay, like, in my little hole.
但为了继续谈谈你之前提到的那些事情,因为我觉得我从未谈过这些。
But just to follow through on these things you pointed out that I did earlier, because I don't think I've ever talked about these things.
在上大学期间,我就有各种各样的副项目。
I had all these different side projects before like, through college, I guess.
是的。
Yeah.
在大学期间。
Through college.
我曾经是个非常坚定的无神论者,现在仍然是,一个犹太无神论者——这在犹太人中并不少见。
I was, a very big atheist, and I'm still an atheist, Jewish atheist, which is many Jews.
但以前我特别投入,现在嘛,算了。
But I was like very into it before, now I'm like, okay.
我不在乎。
I don't care.
随便吧。
Whatever.
我曾经运营过一个叫atheistspot.com的网站,那是无神论新闻的论坛,虽然这跟Reddit不太一样。
Believe it or don't believe So I used to run a website called the atheistspot.com, which was Reddit for atheist news, which is not a you know, Reddit is that.
没关系。
It's fine.
你不需要它。
I don't you don't need it.
但我去过一些集会,比如无神论者大会。
But I went to, like there's, like, conventions that we went to, atheist conventions.
所以我做过这件事。
So I did that.
有趣的是,那时正是谷歌广告投放(AdWords)盛行的时期,网站通过它来盈利,而网站上的广告几乎全是宗教交友网站,因为大部分文章都关于宗教。
And the funny thing is that was the during AdWords, when Google AdWords was a way to monetize your site, and so all the ads on the site, because most of the articles were about religion, were all these religious dating sites.
广告上写着什么基督教交友网(Christian Mingle)之类的,全是些跟受众完全不搭的搞笑交友网站。
It says, like, Christian Mingle and, like, all these funny dating sites that didn't make sense for the audience.
所以我一直觉得这很讽刺。
So I always thought that was funny.
后来我和一个朋友合作了一个叫Utorials的项目,那项目超前得离谱。
And then I worked with a friend on this other project called Utorials, which was so ahead of its time.
Utorials的理念是:由你为我制作教程。
The idea was Utorials, tutorials for you by you.
不错。
Nice.
所以是人们分享他们学到的东西,写一些指南,比如如何煮鸡蛋、如何快速洗澡,而且总是这样
And so it's people contributing things they've learned and writing a how to, like how to make eggs, how to take a quick shower, and there's always
这就像抖音。
That's like TikTok.
对吧?
Right?
这就像抖音。
It's like TikTok.
这比维基百科还早。
It was before Wikipedia thing.
我知道。
I know.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。