本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
很多人认为,你只有在大型演讲、投入大量精力编写脚本、设计对比和故事时,才需要好好地进行表达。
A lot of people think that the only time you really need to present well is when you have a big stage talk and you make the big investment in the script, the big investment in the contrast and story.
我来告诉你一个不为人知的小秘密。
I'll tell you a dirty little secret.
我只需要用一个简短的‘现状是什么,未来可以是什么’的幸福对比,就能让丈夫在周末帮我做家务。
I can get my husband to do chores for me on the weekends with a real quick what is, what could be new bliss.
所以,这种对比思维作为一种框架,存在于你的大脑中,无论是在会议中、电话通话中,还是任何具有影响力的关键时刻,它都真的有效。
So the ability to just have that contrast as a framework in your brain during a meeting, on a phone call, any moment of influence, like, literally, it works.
它在任何形式下都有效。
It works in any format.
欢迎收听伦尼的播客,在这里,我采访世界级的产品领袖和增长专家,学习他们打造和推动当今最成功产品的宝贵经验。
Welcome to Lenny's podcast where I interview world class product leaders and growth experts to learn from their hard won experiences building and growing today's most successful products.
今天,我的嘉宾是南希·杜阿尔特。
Today, my guest is Nancy Duarte.
南希是我从未想过能请上这个播客的嘉宾,但我非常高兴这件事真的发生了。
Nancy is the type of guest that I never imagined being able to get on this podcast, but I'm so happy that it happened.
南希是一位畅销书作者、演讲者,也是Duarte公司的首席执行官,该公司已为全球最具影响力的企业领袖、品牌和机构制作了超过25万份演示文稿,包括苹果、TED、谷歌、世界银行,以及著名的阿尔·戈尔在其《难以忽视的真相》演讲中的内容。
Nancy is a best selling author, speaker, and CEO of Duarte Inc, which has helped create over 250,000 presentations for the world's most influential business leaders, brands, and institutions, including Apple, TED, Google, the World Bank, and famously Al Gore on his Inconvenient Truth presentation.
在我们的对话中,南希分享了大量实用建议,教你如何提升自己的演讲技巧、讲出更动人的故事、构建更有说服力的论点、减轻演讲时的紧张感,甚至提供了一个简单的沟通框架,帮助你改善人际关系。
In our conversation, Nancy shares a ton of tactical advice for how to improve your own presentations, how to tell better stories, how to lay out convincing arguments, how to reduce your nerves when you present, even and a simple communication framework to improve your relationship dynamics.
我和南希的聊天非常愉快,我相信你也会喜欢这一期节目。
I had such a good time chatting with Nancy, and I'm sure you will love this episode.
接下来,在短暂的广告之后,我为大家带来南希·杜阿尔特。
With that, I bring you Nancy Duarte after a short word from our sponsors.
本节目由Microsoft Clarity赞助,这是一款免费且易于使用的工具,能够捕捉真实用户如何使用你的网站。
This episode is brought to you by Microsoft Clarity, a free, easy to use tool that captures how real people are actually using your site.
你可以观看实时会话回放,发现用户在哪些环节顺畅流畅,又在哪些地方遇到困难。
You can watch live session replays to discover where users are breezing through your flow and where they struggle.
你可以查看即时热力图,了解用户在页面上哪些部分互动频繁,哪些内容被忽略。
You can view instant heat maps to see what parts of your page users are engaging with and what content they're ignoring.
你还可以通过一些非常酷的挫败感指标,比如愤怒点击和无效点击等,精准定位用户遇到的问题。
You can also pinpoint what's bothering your users with really cool frustration metrics, like rage clicks and dead clicks and much more.
如果你听这个播客,你就知道我们经常谈论了解用户的重要性。
If If you listen to this podcast, you know how often we talk about the importance of knowing your users.
通过观察用户真实使用你的产品的方式,你可以发现产品机会、转化提升点,并找到你想象中用户使用产品的方式与实际使用方式之间的巨大差距。
And by seeing how users truly experience your product, you can identify product opportunities, conversion wins, and find big gaps between how you imagine people using your product and how they actually use it.
Microsoft Clarity 通过一套简单却极其强大的功能,让这一切成为可能。
Microsoft Clarity makes it all possible with a simple yet incredibly powerful set of features.
你会惊讶于 Clarity 使用起来如此简单,而且它永久免费。
You'll be blown away by how easy Clarity is to use, and it's completely free forever.
你永远不会遇到流量限制,也不必被迫升级到付费版本。
You will never run into traffic limits or be forced to upgrade to a paid version.
它还适用于应用程序和网站。
It also works across both apps and websites.
别再猜了。
Stop guessing.
立即使用 Clarity。
Get Clarity.
前往 clarity.microsoft.com 了解 Clarity。
Check out Clarity at clarity.microsoft.com.
你们在招聘吗?
Are you hiring?
或者反过来,你在寻找新的机会吗?
Or on the flip side, are you looking for a new opportunity?
不管怎样,去看看 lennysjobs.com/talent 吧。
Well, either way, check out lennysjobs.com/talent.
如果你是招聘经理,可以注册并获取数百位经过精心筛选、愿意接受新机会的人才。
If you're a hiring manager, you can sign up and get access to hundreds of hand curated people who are open to new opportunities.
成千上万的人申请加入这个社群,而我本人会亲自审核并只接受其中大约10%。
Thousands of people apply to join this collective, and I personally review and accept just about 10% of them.
你找不到比这里更好的地方来招聘产品负责人和增长领导者了。
You won't find a better place to hire product managers and growth leaders.
加入近百家正在通过这个社群积极招聘的公司吧。
Join almost a 100 other companies who are actively hiring through this collective.
如果你正在寻找新的机会,无论是主动还是被动,都加入这个社群吧。
And if you're looking around for a new opportunity, actively or passively, join the collective.
这是免费的,你可以匿名,甚至可以屏蔽特定公司。你也可以随时退出,而且你只会收到你希望联系的公司的信息。
It's free, you can be anonymous, and you can even hide yourself from specific You can also leave anytime, and you'll only hear from companies that you want to hear from.
访问 lennysjobs.com/talent。
Check out lenny'sjobs.com/talent.
南希,欢迎来到这个播客。
Nancy, welcome to the podcast.
谢谢你的邀请,妈妈。
Thank you for having me, mommy.
到目前为止,你直接或间接帮助制作了多少场演示?
How many presentations have you helped craft at this point, both directly and indirectly?
这是个很好的问题。
That's a great question.
我经常假装数据是真实的,然后随便拿过来用。
I I people know I'll, like, take a swag at data and pretend it's real.
我曾经有一位总裁在2014年时对这个数字做过一次估算,他说当时是25万,那已经是差不多十年前的事了。
So I had a president who took us a whack at that number in it was 2014, and he said at that time it was 02/5000, and that was, like, almost ten years ago.
所以我都记不清了,真的说不上来。
So I don't even I can't even I can't even tell you.
我的意思是,我们后来就不跟踪了。
I mean, it's we stopped tracking.
但数量确实很多。
So but it's a lot.
我的意思是,在35年里,我们有成千上万个项目,每个项目有时包含两到一百份演示文稿。
I mean, in thirty five years, we have thousands of projects we open, and each sometimes has two to a 100 presentations in it.
所以很难说清楚。
So it'd be hard to tell.
20万,20万。
200,200
他说是25万,但那是十年前的事了,我也没算过。
he said 250,000, but that was that was ten years ago, and I didn't do the math.
所以当我的团队质疑这个数字时,我说,哦,丹算过这个数了。
So when my team questioned it, I'm like, oh, Dan did the math.
他们说,哦,那这个数字应该是准确的。
They're like, oh, then it's accurate.
因为他们以为我只是随便编了个数字。
Because they thought I was just making up this number.
我说,不是的。
I'm like, no.
不是的。
No.
我们真的去查了。
We actually went in and looked.
所以。
So
好的。
Okay.
我没料到会这么大。
I was not expecting it to be that large.
太疯狂了。
That's insane.
这很有趣,因为我某种程度上掌握了硅谷的整个历史。
It's so funny because I have the whole history of the Silicon Valley in a way.
对吧?
Right?
每一个小初创公司,后来都成长为像思科这样的巨头。
It's like every little startup, and then they grew to massive brands like Cisco.
你可以看到这些公司的兴衰历程,而我确实保存了所有的演示文稿。
And you could actually look at the rise and fall of all these companies, and then I actually have all the decks.
我仍然保留着大量这些档案。
I still have a lot of these archives.
所以我能确切地核实这个数字。
So it's it's, I could actually verify that number exactly.
好的。
Okay.
那么,下一个问题会特别难了。
Well, this next question's gonna be extra hard then.
在你参与过的所有演示中,哪一个最让你印象深刻或最具影响力?
Of all the presentations you've worked on, which one stands out to you as the most memorable or most impactful?
我觉得一定是阿尔·戈尔的《难以忽视的真相》。
I mean, it has to be Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth.
对吧?
Right?
它在那个时代出现时,几乎没人了解或见过真正出色的演示。
It kinda hit the world in a season where, nobody really knew or had an example of a really well done presentation.
它问世时,TED演讲甚至还没在互联网上出现。
So it came out before TED Talks were even out, on the web.
所以人们从未见过有人站在数据前,用90英尺高的屏幕讲述数据故事。
And so people had never seen someone tell a data story and stand in front of data and the scale, the 90 foot screen.
但在《难以忽视的真相》之前,我们已经和他合作了五年。
But we had worked with him for five years before Inconvenient Truth.
人们以为他直接从副总统变成了演讲者。
Like, people think he went from, you know, vice president to this, presenter.
但我并没有亲自和他合作。
And I didn't work with him.
我让我的团队去和他合作。
I let my team work with him.
所以真正到处奔波、在奥普拉节目后台穿梭的是他们。
So they were the ones jetting around, jumping backstage at Oprah.
他们特别享受这段经历。
Like, they they loved it.
那真是一段巅峰时期。
Like, it was a real peak season.
但最让我难忘的是,我们在这里的硅谷经常和一些二十出头的CEO合作,他们总是一来就表现得好像自己比经验丰富的老手更懂行。
But the thing actually that was most memorable is, you know, we work with these, you know, 20 some year old CEOs here in the valley, and and they tend to show up and act like they know better, you know, than someone who's been doing this for so, so long.
而这位大型政治人物、沟通者最有趣的地方在于,我们团队会坐在房间里说:嘿。
And what was so interesting about this large figure politician, you know, communicator is we, the team would sit in a room and say, hey.
我们认为你应该这样处理。
We think you need to do this this way.
我们认为你应该这样表达。
We think you needed to convey it this way.
我们认为它应该以这种方式可视化,或者我们提出的其他任何建议。
We think it should be visualized this way or whatever it was we were proposing.
而他会真的停下来,摸着下巴,认真思考,认真考虑我们可能真的是专家。
And he would literally pause and, like, touch his chin and really think and really consider that we might actually be experts.
而且大多数情况下,他会采纳我们建议的做法。
And more times than not, he would adopt the way we said it should be done.
所以我认为,作为那个可能拥有世界上最大权力之一的客户,却能如此审慎地尊重我们作为专家的意见,这是一次令人愉快的客户和咨询体验。
And so I think as, like, the the customer who actually probably had some of the most power in the whole world to thoughtfully defer to us as experts was delightful customer and, you know, consulting experience.
我的意思是,我记得当他们打电话告诉我,这部影片即将开拍并且已经获得资金支持时,我开始收到相关信息。
I mean, I remember when they called me to to say it was gonna become a movie and, that it had gotten funded, I started to get the information.
他们希望我们做大量工作,让这个内容准备好拍成电影。
They wanted us to do a lot of work to get it movie ready.
我永远都不会忘记。
And I'll never forget.
我说,哇哦。
I I I said, wow.
这得让我们免费做这么多工作啊。
That's gonna be a lot of work we'd have to do for free.
谁会去看一部关于幻灯片的电影呢?
Who's gonna go see a movie about a slideshow anyway?
这 literally 就是我当时说的话。
Like, that's literally what I said.
所以,是的,我根本没想到它会变成今天这个样子。
And so, yeah, I I just didn't believe it would become what it became.
所以整个过程太棒了。
So the whole process was amazing.
你有没有预料到那次演讲之后会产生这么大的影响,还是你们只是觉得,哦,我们接了个活儿,做完就完事了?
Did you expect the impact of what happened after that presentation, or is that was it just like, oh, we got this one job we gotta do.
我们就赶紧把它做完,然后继续下一步。
Let's just get through it and then move on.
我们已经做了五年了。
Well, we've been doing it for five years.
我认为这个策略,不管是不是有意为之,我也不确定。
I think the strategy, whether it was intentional or or not, I don't know.
所以他五年来不断往返于各个城市,四处奔波,像是播下种子,培育一场群众运动。
So he would go city to city to city to he was traveling for five years seeding, like planting seeds for a groundswell.
他会去斯坦福校园,邀请湾区的精英人士,每次都是私人活动,而且总是VIP专属。
And he went into the you know, he would go to the Stanford campus, invite, you know, the Bay Area elite, and it was always private, and it was always VIP.
所以这五年来,他不断奔波,反复演讲,真正出色地完成了每一次分享。
And so he he did a really good job for five years traveling, traveling, traveling, traveling, and and really, really delivering that talk.
我认为这激发了人们的渴望。
And I think that created a desire.
我不确定如果没有那些努力,它会获得这么大的反响。
I don't know that it would have gotten that much traction.
我不确定,如果人们之前并不了解这个演讲,也没有看过这个演讲,而他们是带着朋友来看这部电影的——至少我是这样想象这一部分发生的。
I don't know if he hadn't if people already didn't know about the presentation and hadn't already seen the presentation and they brought their friends to the movie is how I kind of picture at least that part happening.
他很慷慨,伦尼。
And he was generous, Lenny.
我的意思是,在他那五年四处巡讲的最后,他总会在幻灯片上展示我们的名字,并在观众面前感谢我们。
I mean, at the end, when he traveled around for those five years at the end, he always had a slide with our name on it and would thank us if you're in the audience.
我的意思是,他主要承担了我们所做工作的费用,而我们则投入了大量的个人时间。
I mean, I mean and paid, you know, mostly paid for what we did, that we did, you know, give a lot of our own time.
但确实非常慷慨,而且电影也最终成了现在这个样子。
But, yeah, super generous and and, yeah, movie became what it was.
这有点出人意料。
It was a surprise a bit of a surprise.
但结果很好。
But it was good.
这部电影很不错。
The movie was good.
所以
So
确实不错。
It was good.
它也让我想到我经常看到的一种模式:并不是仅仅一场演讲就改变了所有事情。
It also makes me, think about a pattern that I often see of it wasn't just, like, one presentation that changed everything.
你说过,在那之前有五年的准备。
It was, you said, five years of kind of prep ahead of that.
你总能看到这些所谓的‘一夜成名’的故事,但当你深入一看,就会发现其实并非如此。
And it's you always see these, like, wow, overnight success stories, and you always find, okay.
实际情况并不是那样。
It wasn't actually that.
是的。
Yeah.
之后他做得很好。
And he did a good job after.
一旦开始有起色,我们就建立了一个完整的培训项目,让他可以把人接到他在田纳西的住所进行培训。
And once it got traction, we built, like, a whole training program where he could fly people out, to his place in Tennessee and start to train people.
所以这几乎变成了一种‘培训培训者’的模式,他可以授权你作为它的大使。
So it almost became like a train the trainer, and he could sanction you as a ambassador for it.
整个事情就是这样逐渐发展、扩大并获得关注的,非常美好。
So this is the way the whole thing kind of unfolded and scaled and then got traction was lovely.
说到令人印象深刻的客户,我最近才了解到,苹果公司自你们组织成立的第一天起就是你们的客户。
Speaking of impressive clients, I only learned this recently, but Apple has been a client of yours since the day you were founded as an organization.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
你们最初是怎么拿到这个客户的?
How did you land that initially?
此外,从这段经历中,你学到了哪些东西,影响了你对演示设计、沟通以及与客户合作的方式?
And then also just what have you learned from that experience that's informed your approach to presentation design communication and and how you work with clients?
我喜欢这个问题。
I love that question.
所以,是的,我当初有一份正经的工作。
So, yeah, I I had, like, a real job.
我当时在做我的本职工作,而我丈夫买了一台Mac。
I was working my real job, and my husband had bought a Mac.
他说,我觉得这可以成为一个生意。
And he's like, I think this is a business.
我觉得这能成为一个真正的生意。
I think it could be a real business.
他是个插画师,不是设计师,但曾经是个美术家。
And he was an illustrator, wasn't a designer, but he had been a fine artist.
他说:你看。
And he's like, look.
我能画。
I can draw.
当然,所有东西都像素化了,还有点模糊。
Of course, it's all pixelated and, like, bit mappy.
他说:你看。
He's like, look.
我可以在里面画线条。
I could draw lines in here.
如果我能给你看看他的画室,他的作品真的非常精美。
And he's a like, if I could show you his art studio, his work is just gorgeous.
所以他绝对是个美术家。
So he's definitely a fine artist.
他说,我觉得这可以做成一门生意。
And he's like, I think this is a business.
我觉得这能做成一门生意,而且我怀孕了。
I think this could be a business, and I'm very pregnant.
我们之前聊过这个。
We were talking about that earlier.
我怀着儿子,非常怀孕,然后我对他说:老兄,你还是去找份正经工作吧。
I am very pregnant with my son, and I'm like, dude, you're gonna go get yourself a real job.
我不想让你摆弄这个小小的Mac东西。
You know, I don't want you playing around with this little Mac thing.
他在我婚姻中至少求了我两次。
And he begged me, like, twice in our marriage.
他真的跪下来,恳求我理解他的想法。
He, like, literally has gotten on his knees and to try to get me to see his perspective begged me.
他说,你就读一读《Macworld》杂志吧。
He's like, just read a Macworld magazine.
就从头到尾读一遍。
Just read it through once.
如果你看完后还是觉得这不可能成事,因为我当时在用大型机工作。
And if you still don't think this could become a thing because I was working on a mainframe.
我说,我用的是正经电脑。
I'm like, I work on a real computer.
所以后来我打了一些电话。
So what happened was I made some phone calls.
我给NASA打了电话,给Tandem(现在是HP)打了电话,也给苹果打了电话,结果我们同时拿到了这三家公司的合同。
I called NASA, and I called Tandem, which is now HP, and I called Apple, and we won contracts at all three brands at the same time.
那时候,我们的公司叫Duarte桌面排版与平面设计公司。
And back then, our company was called Duarte Desktop Publishing and Graphic Design.
哦,天哪。
Oh, wow.
我知道。
I know.
我知道。
I know.
对吧?
Right?
我们就这么悄悄进来了。
And and we slipped in.
当你谈到产品生命周期时,那是在非常早期的阶段。
Like, when you talk about a product life cycle, it was very early.
那时候,所有东西都还是点阵图,一点都不美观。
Like, everything was still bit mappy, was not attractive.
你知道,大多数用户根本不知道如何排版,不知道如何做分栏,完全不会用这个工具。
You know, most people as users didn't know how to typeset, didn't know how to do columns, didn't know how to make in this tool at all.
在麦金塔生命周期中,有一个大约十八个月的窗口期,图形设计师们拒绝使用它。
And there's about an eighteen month window in the life cycle of the Macintosh where graphic designers refused to use it.
拒绝。
Refused.
这只是一个玩具。
It's a toy.
它很难看。
It's ugly.
它是点阵的。
It's bit mapped.
没人会设计这样的字体。
Nobody would do a font like that.
我们用的是林otype。
We use Linotype.
就像那种高傲的态度,我们根本不碰它。
Like, it was very the snobby kind of we won't touch it.
而我们正是在那个时候进入的,就在那一刻。
And that's right when we entered, like, right then.
去图书馆借了一些关于排版的书。
Went and checked out books at the library on typesetting.
我们试图弄清楚能用这个工具做些什么,你知道的,我们能用它做什么,之后的一切就顺其自然了。
We tried to figure out what we could do, how we you know, what could we do with this tool, And then the rest was was kinda history.
所以这就是它的起点,时机正好,我们推动了这个设计圈里没人感兴趣的东西。
And so that's how it started and and the timing and just kinda pushing the tool that nobody was that interested in that were in the design community.
它的采用率很低。
It was small adoption.
有趣的是,当时基本上是发冷邮件,或者直接联系,就说:嘿。
It's interesting that it was, like, cold emails, basically, or cold reach out just like, hey.
我们想和你们合作。
We wanna work with you.
是的。
Yeah.
这是个很棒的例子。
That's an awesome example.
电话推销。
Cold calling.
是的
Yeah.
好的
Okay.
确实是。
It was.
从那次经历中,你学到了哪些关于演示中什么有效、什么无效的经验?
What did you take away from that experience that kind of informed what works and doesn't work in presentations?
以前的演示都是用35毫米胶片幻灯片和老式转盘播放的。
Presentations used to be 35 millimeter slides in an old carousel.
事实上,阿尔·戈尔给我们展示时用的就是那种。
In fact, that's what Al Gore had when he showed us.
他说:‘这是我七十年代用的幻灯片转盘。’
He's like, here's my slide carousel from the seventies.
那时候,演示就是这么做的。
Like, it was just how it was done.
但苹果公司是第一家大规模将电脑连接到投影仪的公司。
But Apple was the first company to hook up the computer to a projector at scale.
现在,像圣何塞会议中心这样的大型场馆里的投影仪。
Now the projectors at these big venues like San Jose Convention Center.
我的意思是,那规模很大,而且很有风险。
I mean, it was huge, and it was, risky.
因为我们是第一批使用的人,他们推动我们用这种工具来做演示,而且当时是黑白的。
So because we were kind of we were first in, they pushed us to start to do the presentations in this tool, and it was black and white.
我们刚开始的时候,一切都是黑白的。
Like, everything was black and white when we first started.
然后我们不断推动,改进工具中的图形表现方式,给剪贴画上色。
And then we started to push and push and push from how we illustrated things in the tool, how we would colorize clipart.
我是说,当时剪贴画包刚刚推出。
I mean, I'm talking like clipart packages just came out.
他们说,嘿。
They're like, hey.
拿这些。
Grab these.
给它们上色。
Colorize them.
因此,赢得他们作为客户是一个非常重要的时刻。
And and so it was a really, momentous moment to win them as an account.
我记得这个工具刚开始真正流行起来的时候,样子很丑。
And I remember the tool had started to really take off, and it was ugly.
你可以称它为丑得离谱。
You can call it fugly.
我不知道你想怎么叫它,但当时做幻灯片的人都做得非常糟糕,简直太糟糕了。
I don't know what you wanna call it, but everyone who made slides did it so poorly, just so poorly.
我们当时在努力突破界限,让幻灯片看起来更有吸引力。
And we were kinda pushing the boundaries of it to make it look attractive.
1992年在旧金山举行了一次销售大会,当时的销售负责人是一位颇具创意天赋的人。
And there was a sales conference in, 1992 in San Francisco, and the leader of sales at the time was kind of a creative savant of sorts sorts.
我记得他说,我不知道你怎么做到,但我希望你把整个幻灯片都改了。
And I remember he's like, don't know how you're gonna do but I want you to take the whole slide.
那时候的幻灯片基本上都是念稿子,堆满了文字。
Like, this is when slides were basically teleprompted, covered in text.
如果你能贴上一点剪贴画,就已经算幸运了。
If you could stick a piece of clip art on it, you were lucky.
他说,我希望你把整个幻灯片重新设计。
And he said, I want I want you to just make the whole slide.
整个幻灯片只用大大的粉红色写着‘BIG’这个词。
It's just covered with the word big in hot pink.
我希望背景是黑色的,因为当这页粉红大字的幻灯片出现时,我希望它能真正照亮观众的脸。
And I want the background black because when this slide pops up in all pink big, I want it to actually light the faces of the people in the audience.
我当时想,这我根本不知道怎么做,我们根本做不到。
And it was like, I didn't know how to like, we couldn't do that.
我们得用手动方式,转换成这样,再做这一步、那一步,总共六步,最后我们弄出了一个当时很小的JPEG或者PNG图片,然后把它放大。
We had to go into freehand, convert it to this, do this, do these six steps, and then we came up with a small JPEG at the time or ping or something, and we scaled it up.
所以它还是有点像素化。
So it was still kinda pixelated.
我记得在彩排时,我站在那个大厅里,制作团队倒吸了一口冷气。
And I remember I was in that hall during the rehearsal, and the production team gasped.
有几个人尖叫了起来。
A couple people squealed.
他们说:‘这谁做的?’
They're like, who did this?
我的意思是,那只是个用洋红色写的‘big’字。
How did what is I mean, it was just the word big in magenta pink.
我只记得当时心想,这才是应该做的方式。
And and I just remember thinking, this is how it's supposed to be done.
把工具交到大众手中,某种程度上毁掉了这个媒介本身。
Like, the putting the tool in the hands of the masses kinda destroyed the medium itself.
我觉得在我从业的头十年里,这个媒介在落入用户手中后就失控了,一直在被重塑。
And I feel like the first ten or so years I was in business, it was reshaping this medium that ran amok when it got into the hands of the users.
它完全走向了原本应该相反的方向。
It just went completely the opposite way that it was supposed to.
所以很难说,那对我来说是一个真正的决定性时刻,让我意识到:等等。
So that it's weird to say that was a real defining moment for me to say, wait.
等等。
Wait.
我们可以用不同的方式来做,可以回归到它们还是35毫米幻灯片时的做法。
We can do this different, and we can return to how they used to be done when they were 35 millimeter slides.
所以这是一个故事。
So that's one story.
然后,我认为我们在契合品牌需求方面非常擅长。
And then and then I think we're very good at mapping to the brand the brand requirements.
所以我们拿过这个工具,不管它是什么工具。
So we take this tool, whatever the tool.
我们所有的品牌都使用不同的工具。
We have all the brand all our brands use different ones.
他们用幻灯片、Keynote。
They use Slides, Keynote.
他们用PowerPoint。
They use PowerPoint.
我们使用品牌指定的任何工具,并将其应用到各个媒介中。
Like, we use whatever tool the brand wants, and we push it in each medium.
但我们遵循他们的品牌指南,将其深度融入演讲媒介中,让演讲者站在舞台上时呈现出电影般的质感。
And but we we take their brand guidelines and really push it into the spoken word medium where when they stand up on a stage, it's cinematic.
视觉效果本身就可以成为一种体验。
Like, the visuals can become an experience in itself.
我记得苹果推出‘非同凡想’广告活动的时候。
And I just I remember when Apple came up with the think different campaign.
乔布斯刚回归,我们的设计师们,你知道的,那时Photoshop刚出现,人人都在用有立体效果的背景,堆满各种杂乱元素。
Steve Jobs was just back and my designer, everyone you know, Photoshop was new and everyone's doing these beveled backgrounds with tons of crap on the background.
我当时路过一看。
Like, you know, and I walked by.
我当时就想,不行。
I'm like, no.
哎呀。
Uh-oh.
我们不能为‘非同凡想’活动使用一个蓝色边框的相框照片。
We can't have a blue frame looking photo frame to for the think different campaign.
这行不通。
This is not gonna work.
我记得看着所有的海报,想起了阿尔弗雷德·希区柯克那些只有颗粒感、纯粹是阴影的海报。
And so I just I remember looking at all the posters and remembering the Alfred Hitchcock ones that had these particulates, like these particulates, and it was just shadows.
我找到了一段Adobe当时制作的素材视频,画面中只有颗粒在空气中飘浮,角度正好,我们把六色苹果图标放在了上面。
And I found a a stock video that, Adobe had made at the time, and it was just particulates floating through the air at the angle, and we stuck the six color apple on top of it.
在当时,推动品牌并摆脱所有那些糟糕的模板,这简直是革命性的。
That was so revolutionary back there to push the brand and get out of the way every the whole world was making these hideous templates.
正是这些时刻推动了公司前进,因为我知道这个想法虽然不符合苹果品牌的常规,但却是对的。
So there are these moments that pushed the company forward because of an idea that I knew would not be okay for the Apple brand.
因此,这对任何品牌都不应该被接受。
Therefore, it shouldn't be okay for any brand.
我认为,这些只是几个例子,展示了如何以更让观众愉悦的方式推动媒介发展。
And I think I think those are just a couple stories of how how to really push the medium in a way that is more pleasing to the audience.
比如,当观众能清楚地知道该关注什么时,他们会更喜欢。
Like, the audience just likes it better when it's really clear what you're supposed to focus on.
我们喜欢这个品牌。
We love that brand.
我们很喜欢它。
We love it.
好的。
Okay.
那我们来谈点实际的,因为你提到一些你发现确实有效的具体做法。
So let's get a little tactical because you're talking about some very specific things that you found to be working.
所以,收听这个播客的每个人可能都听过很多次:做一场出色的演示非常重要,讲故事和沟通有着巨大的力量,诸如此类。
So everyone listening to this podcast has probably heard many times it's really important to be great at presentations, that there's so much power in storytelling and communication, all these things.
他们可能写了很多书和博客文章,还看了很多关于如何做一场精彩演讲的视频。
And they probably write a bunch of books and blog posts and watch videos of, like, how to give a great presentation.
但我觉得,包括我自己在内,大多数人一想到要给全员大会做演示,或者即将开个会议,往往就在一周前才坐下来准备幻灯片。
But myself and I feel like most people sit down at a deck when they are about to present to an all hands, say, a week later or are gonna do a meeting.
我总是想,好吧,然后呢?
And I'm always just like, what okay.
我该怎么做?
What do I do?
我有这个,好吧。
I have this okay.
它有个开头、中间和结尾。
There's, like, a beginning, middle, end.
它应该包含某种问题。
They should have some kind of problem.
但总是觉得,我不知道自己在干什么。
And it's always like, I don't know what I'm doing.
所以,如果有人正在听这个播客,并且他们想给自己写一张便利贴,上面列出三点在开始做演示文稿时应该记住的事情。
So if someone were to just be listening to this podcast and they're like, I'm gonna write a Post it to myself of three bullet points of things that I should remember when I'm starting a deck.
那这三点会是什么?
What would those three bullet points?
你的观众才是主角。
Your audience is the hero.
这在我2011年的TED演讲中提到过。
That was in my TED Talk from 2011.
我会说,让你的演讲充满故事性。
I would say, it's infuse your talk with story.
我还会说,问问自己:他们能看见我所表达的内容吗?
And I would say, it is asking yourself, can they see what I'm saying?
这三点就是我的建议。
Those would be the three tips.
除了从共情开始,我的意思是,观众是主角就是一种以共情为核心的思路。
Other than starting with empathy, I mean, that that's well, audience is the hero is the empathy centric approach.
但是
But
那我们来深入探讨一下这些吧。
Let's dive into these then.
我本来想问问关于同理心的事,感觉在你的建议中,同理心经常出现,它确实是核心,是的。
So and I was actually gonna ask around empathy, and it feels like that comes up a lot in your in your recommendations to people as empathy is kinda is the heart Yeah.
是你讲述精彩故事和精彩演讲的方法的核心。
Of your methodology of telling great stories, telling great presentations.
那我们花点时间聊聊这个吧。
So let's spend a little time there.
为什么它如此重要?在实践中它到底是什么样的?
Why why is that so important, and what does that actually look like in practice?
同理心也很重要,杜拉特。
Empathy is important too, Duarte.
我们所做的一切都是以同理心为先,这某种程度上也源于我自己的童年经历。
Everything we do is empathy first, and some of it comes from my own childhood story a little bit.
我由一位临床自恋的母亲抚养长大,而自恋者缺乏共情能力。
I, was raised by a clinically narcissistic mom, and narcissists are missing the empathy gene.
所以,我觉得正是因为我从小没有见过这种能力的示范,才让我如此执着地强调共情的重要性。
So I feel like that void of not having it modeled for me is why I keep clawing at empathy as being important.
我认为许多听众可能都曾为缺乏共情、不以他人为中心、说话前从不思考的上司工作,而这些特质我母亲全都有。
And I think a lot of people listening might work for a boss that does not have empathy, that isn't other centric, that doesn't think before they talk and all of those things.
我是被这样一个人抚养长大的。
And I was raised by someone like that.
因此,我写的每一本书、每一个模型,核心都是共情,因为你必须思考:我正在和谁交流?尤其是在沟通中,我到底在和谁交流?
And so every single book and every single model that I ever make has empathy at the core because you have to have to have to think about who am I speaking with, especially in communication, who am I speaking with?
所以,当我踏上讲故事的旅程时,我意识到:嗯,演讲者才是英雄。
And so when I went on my journey through storytelling, I figured out that I thought, okay, the presenter's the hero.
没错,演讲者就是英雄。
For sure, the presenter's the hero.
他们是核心人物。
They're the central figure.
他们说得最多。
They're talking the most.
他们光线很好。
They're well lit.
他们站在舞台上。
They're up on a stage.
所以当我开始研究所有原型时,我就找到了这个定位。
So when I started to look at all the archetypes, that's where I landed.
然后我心想,天哪。
And then I was like, oh my god.
当我深入研究导师这个角色时,我意识到在神话和电影中,导师才是真正站在台前的人。
You know, when I got to really digging into the mentor, I realized it's really the mentor in myths and movies that's the presenter.
而在一场演讲中,真正掌握权力的是观众。
And who really holds the power in the room of a presentation is the audience.
因为观众有权选择接受或拒绝你的观点。
Like, the audience gets to make a choice if they accept or reject your idea.
所以权力的平衡在于他们,而不在于你。
So the the the balance of power is with them and not you.
因此,演讲者真正的角色是成为导师。
So it really is the role of the presenter to be the mentor.
在神话和电影中,导师会与英雄并肩而行。
And in myths and movies, the mentor comes alongside the hero.
换句话说,演讲者应该与观众并肩而行,帮助他们突破困境或提供神奇的工具。
In other words, the presenter should come alongside the audience and help them get unstuck or bring a magical tool.
所以,我觉得欧比旺·克诺比是个很好的例子。
So, like, I think Obi Wan Kenobi is a great example.
他为卢克·天行者做了两件事。
He did two things for, Luke Skywalker.
他给了他一把光剑,这适用于他的外在旅程,即他所进行的物理旅程。
He gave him a lightsaber, which was for his outer journey, the physical journey he was doing.
是的。
Yeah.
然后是一个内在的工具,那就是通过原力赋予他的决心。
And then an an inner tool, which was the resolve, which came to him through the force.
所以当你向观众演讲时,他们会面临内在的冲突,你需要提供一些东西来安抚他们。
So when you're speaking to an audience, they're gonna have a internal conflict that you have to give them something to soothe.
然后你才会要求他们去完成这件事。
And then you're asking them to therefore go and do this thing.
采取这个行动。
Take this action.
做出这个行动号召。
Do this call to action.
这要求他们身体力行地做些什么,或者以某种方式改变现实。
That's asking them to physically do something or physically change it in some way.
如果你没有设身处地地考虑过,你所要求他们的事对他们来说有多难,他们是不会为你去做的。
So they're not gonna do that for you if you haven't empathetically thought about how hard what you're asking them is gonna be for them to do.
因此,当你开始制作演示文稿时,你必须改变自己的思维模式,思考:我到底在对谁说话?
And so it just, you have to change your mindset when you're starting to build your deck to think about who am I talking to?
我该怎么帮他们摆脱困境?
How am I gonna help them get unstuck?
这是一个对我们所有工作都至关重要的基本原则。
And that's a, that's just a super foundational principle in everything we do.
在我们接下来的案例中,能举个实际的例子吗?
What is an example of that in practice as we go through these?
这真的太棒了,有没有我们熟知的、实际应用了这一原则的演示文稿,比如你们的?
Because this is really great, of that, implemented, like, deck that we know about maybe yours?
哦,我们熟知的那些。
Oh, that we know about.
我可以谈谈我们自己内部的例子。
So I could talk about our own internal ones.
我们做的大部分工作都属于MSA,因为它们都是非凡的品牌。
Most of most of what we do is under MSAs because they're fantastical brands.
所以在我自己的公司里,每次我要做一场需要设定目标或帮助他们达成目标的演讲,比如年度愿景分享时,都会先做准备。
So in our in my own company, we before I do a presentation that's gonna require goals or them reaching goals or we do an annual vision talk.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
我们首先会进行一次倾听之旅。
We do a listening tour first.
其中一部分基于问卷调查,另一部分基于访谈,我们会将这些信息汇总,然后与我们要求他们去做的事情进行对比。
So some of it's based in surveys, some of it's based in interviews, and we feed that information up, and then we compare it to what we're gonna ask them to do.
我们还会做一些差距分析。
And we do some gap analysis.
比如,有一些实际的问题你可以问自己,这些问题属于经典的设计思维类型,用于了解他们目前的状况。
Like, we literally there's some, actual questions you can ask yourself, which are somewhat classic design thinking kind of questions about where they're at.
然后,我会制作一个初稿,或者由高管团队制作一个初稿。
And then what we do is I create a real rough cut or the exec team creates a real rough cut.
接着,我们会邀请下一层级的领导者参与,进行一次模拟演练。
Then we invite the next level of leaders in, and we do a a fake.
我的意思是,这些幻灯片非常粗糙。
I mean, the slides are ugly.
我们不会在幻灯片上花太多时间。
Like, we don't spend time on the slides.
这关乎信息本身,以及我们可能会用到的一两个或三个模型,以让信息更具说服力或更具体。
This is about the message and maybe a model or two or three that we're gonna go through to feel like it may amplify or make the message more concrete.
然后他们会提供反馈。
And then they get feedback.
这时候就变得困难了。
And that's when the it's hard.
从一个粗略的初稿过渡到真正打动人心的内容,这很难。
It's hard to go from like rough cut.
我们要把要说的话,变成真正能引起共鸣的表达。
Here's what we're gonna say to making it absolutely resonate.
在完成所有这些工作之后,我们才会把内容传达给整个公司。
And then and then we deliver it after all of that work has been done, then we share it to the company.
我们清楚,这是我在全年中要做的最难的一次演讲。
So we go through that, knowing that's the hardest presentation I deliver all year.
我过去经常出差演讲,是个公开演讲者,但真正需要花更多时间的是我内部的演讲。
Like, I used to travel and speak and be a public speaker, but it's my own internal ones I have to take more time with.
所以当我外出演讲时,他们都会说,天哪。
So when I travel and speak, they're like, oh my god.
我超爱你的模型。
I love your models.
天啊。
Oh my gosh.
你知道的吧?
You know?
我能跟你合张影吗?
Can I get a picture with you?
对吧?
Right?
但当我站在自己团队面前时,他们却想:她接下来会说什么呢?因为她可能会让我的工作更难做,或者改变我的优先级。
But when I'm standing in front of my own team, they're like, I wonder what she's gonna say because she's about to either make my job harder or she's gonna change my priorities.
对吧?
Right?
他们一开始更持怀疑态度。
They're they come in more skeptical.
我们确实把年度启动会议做得非常出色。
And we we definitely have nailed the annual kickoff meeting.
确实做得非常出色。
Definitely have nailed that.
然后我们会定期进行季度更新,延续年度启动会议的节奏。
And then we do quarterly quarterly updates to that annual kickoff meeting, and it's a cadence.
人们变得充满热情,我们现在简直太棒了。
And people get enthused, and and we're kinda killing it right now.
是的。
Yeah.
从外面看,确实就是这种感觉。
That's what it feels like from the outside.
我只是在想,杜阿尔特设计团队在制作演示文稿时所承受的压力。
I'm just thinking about, the pressure to create presentations within Duarte design.
是的。
Yeah.
如果你认真想想你的工作——为公司制作演示文稿,想象一下。
If it's like if you think about your job as hard, creating a deck for your company, imagine.
是的。
Yeah.
在演示专家面前做演示,简直让人吓坏。
Presentations in front of presentation experts is like Oh my god.
我会紧张。
And I get nervous.
我会特别紧张,因为有一张幻灯片有点问题,或者我语速太快了。
Like, I get really nervous because I have one slide that's kind of flawed or I say, or I pace too much.
每次你都会失去三分之一的团队。
You lose a third of your team each time.
你知道,他们都是专家,所以很难。
You know, they're such experts, so it's hard.
我想逐一讲解这三个要点。
I wanna walk through these three bullet points.
首先是让听众成为你故事的倾听者,这需要你富有同理心,理解他们的挑战。
So the first is make the listener the hearer of your story, and that comes from being empathetic and understanding their challenge.
所以,如果你想要做到这一点,有哪些迹象能表明你做得好或不好呢?
So if you're trying to do that, what are, like, signs that you're doing it well or not well?
比如,故事的开头节奏是怎样的?
Like, is there, like, the way the flow of the story start?
是像这样开头吗?或者,人们应该怎样判断自己是做得好还是不好?
Is it like the here's the way it starts, or, like, what should people identify of, like, I'm doing this well or I'm not doing this well?
如果观众是主角,你会看到他们明显表现出理解了。
If the audience is the hero, you you would see visible signs that they get it.
在我做了一场特别好的演讲之前,人们会发推文说:快来听这场演讲。
People would come like before I did a really good talk and people were tweeting saying, hey.
来听这场演讲。
Come to this talk.
这非常好。
It's really good.
所以你会看到一种反应。
So there's you'd see a reaction.
如果你在讲述中融入了故事结构,也就是第二个要点,你就知道自己做得很好。
You know you've done it well, if you're infusing your talk story, which is the second bullet, by utilizing story structures.
当我提到讲故事时,我说的是一个轶事。
So when I say storytelling, I'm talking about an anecdote.
当我提到故事结构时,我说的是这种三幕式叙事结构,它已经存在了数万年,并深深植根于我们的大脑中。
When I say story structures, I'm talking about this format of a of a three act structure of storytelling that goes back tens of thousands of years, which is fused into the brain.
比如,现在通过fMRI设备,你可以在故事讲述时观察到这一过程,科学真是太美妙了。
Like, fMRI machines, now you can see them, while a story is being told, and the science is beautiful.
当你给我讲一个故事,我认真聆听时,我们的大脑会在完全相同的位置以完全相同的顺序活跃。
Like, you're telling me a story and I'm listening, our brains are firing in the exact same order in the exact same place.
所以它具有让我们的大脑同步的力量。
So it has power to align our brains.
因此,通过运用故事的要素,比如开端、中间和结尾,我们有相应的方法,同时还要融入起伏变化。
And so by by implementing attributes of story, like a beginning, a middle, and an end, and we have method for that, and then and also incorporating the rise and fall.
故事会逐渐制造紧张感,然后加以释放。
Like, story kind of builds tension and releases it.
这就是为什么我们如此喜爱故事——我们通过他人的混乱、矛盾和问题来逃避现实。
And that's why we love it so much as we escape through kinda someone else's messy metal and conflict and problems.
它很混乱,但最终得到了解决。
Like, it's messy, and then it resolves.
你先制造紧张感,再加以化解,这正是一个结构精良的演讲所能做到的。
Like, you build the tension and resolve it, and that's what a really well structured presentation can do.
它能通过这种起伏变化,唤起人们的渴望。
It can pull on that rise and fall in a way that creates longing.
因此,故事能创造渴望。
So story story creates longing.
它能让人渴望原本从未想过的东西,因为如果未来是以故事的形式呈现,而他们看到了另一种可能的未来——许多人正是通过科幻小说来逃避现实。
It it it helps people long for something they'd never wanted before because if the future is told in the shape of a story and they see this alternate future like, many people escape through sci fi.
他们通过电影进入这些未来世界。
They escape through movie making into these future worlds.
对吧?
Right?
想象一下,你可以用语言描绘出这种未来状态,然后用这种起伏的节奏,将整个观众带入这个未来情境中。
And so picture that you could verbally paint a picture of this future state, and then you could bring your whole audience to this future state in an amazing way using this kind of this cadence of rise and fall.
这就是你如何将故事融入需要影响他人的演讲中的方式。
That's how you that's how you can incorporate story into a presentation where you need to influence others.
当做得好的时候,它实际上可以非常美妙。
It's it's actually really can be beautiful when it's done well.
你曾经就这个主题做过一场TEDx演讲,所以我想要更深入地探讨一下。
And so you gave a TEDx talk on this exact topic, and so I wanna go deeper here.
你以一种非常视觉化的方式描述了优秀故事的结构,它像牙齿一样上下起伏。
And you kind of shared this very, visual way of thinking about a great story where it kinda goes up and down and up and down like these teeth, almost.
你能具体谈谈‘会说话的牙齿’吗?
Can you actually talk about talking teeth.
是的。
Yeah.
确实如此。
It does.
你能描述一下这个结构在视觉上是什么样子的吗?
Can you, share what that structure visually looks like?
我们会在节目笔记中提供一个链接,展示它的真实样子,并解释为什么它如此有价值、有影响力且重要。
And we'll share a link in the show notes of what that actually looks like and then just why that is so value so impactful and important.
对。
Yeah.
我很喜欢这一点。
I love that.
我花了三年时间研究故事,我知道有史以来最伟大的演讲都具有这种起伏的节奏,但那并不是一个单一的故事。
I so I went on a three year journey through story, and I knew that the greatest speeches over all time did have that rise and fall and rise and fall, but it wasn't one single story.
它包含了许多其他非常重要的信息,但仍然保持着这种起起落落的节奏。
It it had a whole lot of other very important information, but it still did this rise and fall and rise and fall.
我不是数字原住民。
So I am not a digital native.
我用了一英寸见方的方格纸,一边听各种演讲,一边把词语都记录下来。
I took a quarter inch graph paper, and I would listen to all kinds of map out, took the words.
当我分析史蒂夫·乔布斯的iPhone发布演讲时,我完全是手工完成的。
When I analyzed Steve Jobs' iPhone launch speech, I did it all by hand.
我亲手写下了每一个词。
I wrote every word.
我用的是一英寸见方的方格纸。
I did I did quarter inch graph paper.
我需要弄清楚。
I needed to know.
我需要以我习惯的方式看到它——那就是手写的。
I needed to see it the way I work, which was analog.
所以一开始,线条是曲折的。
And so at first, it was zigzaggy.
我意识到,等等。
And I realized, wait.
你不能把某件事随时间映射成一个锯齿状的锯齿线。
You can't you can't you can't map something over time and have it be a zigzag zigzag.
这会导致太多信息丢失。
There was too much data loss.
所以要口头描述它,你可以想象屏幕底部有一条线,这条线从左到右代表的就是‘现状’。
So to verbally describe it, you could picture a line at the bottom of your screen, and that line, going left to right is what is.
你需要在每次演讲开始时,先说明什么是‘现状’。
And you need to set up every talk by stating what is.
然后这条线垂直上升,进入‘可能的状态’,再回落到基线,再次说明‘现状’。
And then it moves straight up, and you move to what could be, come back down, to the bottom line again, say what is.
反复循环:‘现状’、‘可能的状态’、‘现状’、‘可能的状态’、‘现状’、‘可能的状态’。
Back up what could be, what is, what could be, what is, what could be.
而在最后一个‘可能的状态’处,你指出最后的水平线就是我们所说的‘新的理想状态’。
And then at the last what could be, you state the last horizontal line is what we call the new bliss.
因此,这种在‘现状’、‘可能的状态’、‘现状’、‘可能的状态’、‘现状’、‘可能的状态’之间来回穿梭的过程,那种对未来的渴望。
So this motion of traversing between what is, what could be, what is, what could be, what is, what could be, that sense of longing for the future.
它让人们脱离当前的状态、现状或现实,通过对比激发他们对这种未来状态的向往。
It makes people leave their current state or the status quo or or our current reality and makes them long for this future state by using contrast.
所以这种起伏,嘿。
So that rise and fall of, hey.
这是我们现在面临的问题。
Here's our current problem.
这是一个解决方案,或者说是现状,但我们想象它可能会变成这样。
Here's a solution, or here's the state of the union, but we imagine it could look like this.
有很多不同的方式可以构建这种美妙的对比节奏。
Like, there's so many different ways to build that cadence of of contrast that's so lovely.
而且,它真的非常有效。
And it it it, I mean, it really works.
我认为这个演讲发布于2011年,而人们通过改变演讲结构所取得的成就,相关的笔记和邮件数量之多,实在令人惊叹。
I, I think the talk came out in 2011, and and the amounts of notes and emails of things people have accomplished by changing the structure of their presentation has been really astounding.
国情咨文是一个非常有趣的例子,因为我正在试图想象我在各种演讲中见过的场景,这完全契合了‘我们正面临的问题’和‘我们将要去的地方’这种模式。
The State of the Union is a really interesting example because I'm trying to imagine this in, presentations I've seen, and that totally resonates of just like, here's the problem we're having, and here's where we're gonna go.
这是我们面临的另一个问题,而这就是我要做出的改变。
Here's another problem we're having, and here's what I'm gonna change.
深·约翰逊在这方面非常擅长。
Deep Johnson was great at that.
比如,他在发布iPhone的演讲中,总是会先讲‘公司的现状’。
Like, when he launched the iPhone speech, like, he always did, like, here's the state of the company.
我们目前的状况如何。
Here's how we're doing.
天哪。
Oh my god.
我们的门店顾客比十个Macworld展会加起来还多。
Our stores are more full than 10 Macworld expos.
他总是先铺垫一下当前的情况,然后在将iPhone与黑莓手机做对比时,迅速切换到‘现状’与‘可能的未来’的对比。
You know, he always did a setup of of what was going on, and then he did a really rapid what is, what could be when he started to compare the iPhone to, like, the BlackBerry.
你知道,一旦你看到了我们正在做的,就会觉得现在这情况有多糟糕。
You know, it's like, look how much it sucks now that you've seen what we're doing.
就是这种‘现状 vs 潜在可能’,现状 vs 潜在可能’的模式。
Like, it's just this what is, what could be, what is, what could be.
于是我收集了所有经典演讲、历史演讲,包括所有总统演讲,我知道如果我能发现马丁·路德·金和史蒂夫·乔布斯的iPhone发布演讲中存在相同的模式——同样的节奏和脉动(姑且这么说),那我就用故事解决了这个问题。
And so I took all the classic speeches, historical speeches, everything presidential speeches, and, knew that if I I could find a pattern in doctor King and Steve Jobs' iPhone launch speech that was the same, that had the same type of nature of cadence and, pulsing to it, for lack of a better word, that I knew I I had solved it using story.
终于能在我的四分之一英寸方格纸上把这一点清晰地画出来,真是个很棒的时刻。
It was it was a really great moment to to finally draw that out on my quarter inch graph paper.
我太喜欢这个了。
I love that.
太棒了。
It was awesome.
我觉得这种基础研究还有巨大的潜力。
I feel like there's just so much opportunity for primary research like that still.
我觉得我的通讯之所以做得好,就是因为我花时间做你描述的那种工作——看上千场访谈,然后提炼出关键收获。
Like, I feel like that's why my newsletter does well is I just spend the time doing that work that you're describing of, like, watching a thousand interviews and then just distilling here as a takeaway here.
所以
And so
寻找模式。
Pattern finding.
这是个有趣的观点。
That's an interesting point.
我有时会担心,随着新技术的出现,人们静下心来思考、整合信息的能力正在丧失,因为人类能产生机器无法提供的独特见解和综合洞察。
I I worry sometimes, you know, with the emergence of new technologies and stuff, the ability to be able to sit and think, synthesize, and all of that is, because you don't you a human's gonna come up with different insights and synthesis than any future machine can do.
所以我觉得你做得这么好真的很令人惊叹,确实让人佩服。
So I think it's fascinating that that you do that so well, and it really shows that Wow.
我很感激。
I appreciate it.
你真的全身心地投入其中。
You're really putting your mind and heart into it all.
别再说我了。
Enough about me.
我在想,但我真的很感激。
I'm thinking about but I appreciate it.
我在想,也许有产品负责人和创始人在听这个,他们会想:天啊。
I'm thinking about product managers and founders maybe listening to this, and they're like, oh, man.
每次我做演示文稿时,都需要构建一个完整的故事,有起有伏。
Every time I do a deck, I need to create this whole story and this up and down thing.
根据你的经验,你在什么情况下会做到这种程度?是不是当你有一个非常重要、盛大的演示时?
In your experience, when do you go that far to create like, is this when you have, like, an epic important presentation?
你会考虑这种故事结构吗?还是说,无论何时,你都应该在演示中加入某种带有对比的故事?
You think about a story structure like this, or is there always a way you should kind of, you know, put this into your presentations of, like, some kind of story with this contrast?
这是个有趣的问题。
It's interesting question.
我认为很多人觉得,只有在大型演讲时才需要好好呈现,那时才会投入大量精力去打磨脚本、对比和故事。
I I think a lot of people think that the only time you really need to present well is when you have a big stage talk and you make the big investment in the script, the big investment in the contrast and story.
但我告诉你一个不为人知的小秘密。
But I'll tell you a dirty little secret.
我只需要用一句简短的‘什么是新的幸福’,就能让丈夫在周末帮我做家务。
I can get my husband to do chores for me on the weekends with a quick with a real quick what is, what could be new bliss, kind of just first bit.
什么是新的幸福呢?
Like, what is, what could be new bliss?
就像亚伯拉罕·林肯在葛底斯堡演说中那篇极短的讲话,那本质上是一场葬礼。
It's like even, the very, very short short talk that Abraham Lincoln gave in the Gettysburg Address, those, it was basically a funeral.
那是一篇悼词。
It was a eulogy.
那时候,悼词通常长达两个小时。
And back then, eulogies used to be two hours long.
那是一种亚里士多德式的结构。
It was an Aristotelian structure.
而他只用了几百个词,所以没有他演讲的照片,因为演讲太短、太紧凑,一气呵成。
And and he only had a couple 100 words, so there's no pictures of him giving it because it was so short, so tight, and done.
他们还在 setup 摄像机时,以为还有大把时间。
They they were setting up the cameras still thinking they had tons of time.
所以,你可以在会议、电话通话或任何影响时刻,用这种对比作为大脑中的框架,比如让丈夫帮我做家务。
So the ability to just have that contrast as a framework in your brain during a meeting on a phone call, any moment of influence, like, in the husband to do some chores for me.
literally,这真的管用。
Like, literally, it works.
无论什么形式,它都有效。
It works, in any format.
我认为,当你面对长篇内容或大型受众时,你会投入更多:添加视觉元素,聘请演讲教练,精心打造那个时刻。
And I think the investment that you make in the longer form or when it's a huge audience, you know, you add the visuals, you really hire the speaker coaches, You really make that moment.
总有一些时刻超越其他所有时刻,你必须完美把握。
There's these moments that breach above all other moments where you really have to nail it.
在日常对话、影响瞬间中,只要你足够练习,它就会成为你脑海中的心理模型,让你在感知到影响力存在的时候,知道该如何行动。
Just in basic conversations, in a moment of influence, you should if if you practice it enough, it'll live in your head as a mental model for when you know you're in a situation where, where there's influence in the air that you could do.
你能分享一下,你是怎么实际跟丈夫说的,比如让他帮忙洗碗吗?
What is, how do you actually do it with your husband if you could share for helping him do the dishes?
嗯,我就不详细描述那个‘新幸福’具体是什么了。
Well, I won't get graphic about what the new bliss might be.
但你知道,我们结婚初期,曾以为是早期。
But, you know, early in our marriage, we figured out that when we not early.
实际上,这仅仅发生在过去的十年里。
Actually, it's been almost in the only the last ten years.
我们已经结婚四十年了。
We've been married for forty.
哦。
Oh.
我们意识到,当我们发生争执时,通常只是关于流程问题。
And, we realized that when we tangle, it's it's usually only about process.
所以,当我去要求他,或者他要求我做某事,或者我们开始互相挑剔时,那是因为我执行某事的方式和他选择的方式不同。
So the gaps are when I if I ask or he asks me to do something or we start to kinda pick on each other, it's because the way I'm executing something is different than the way he chose to execute it.
这可能体现在任何事情上,比如:你为什么这么切?
And so it'll be anything from like, why are you chopping?
他会说,你为什么这样切洋葱?
He'll you know, why are you chopping onions like that?
他会跟我说。
He'll say to me.
现在我就想,哦,我们又出现了流程上的差异。
And now I'm like, oh, we have a process gap.
你是想自己切洋葱,还是想让我按我的方式切?
Do you wanna chop the onions, or do you want me to chop them my way?
你知道的。
You know?
所以,那种本可以有的幸福时刻,其实经常发生。
And so for the what is, what could be, due bliss, it it happens all the time.
所以他需要很多背景信息。
So he needs a lot of context.
他是个注重细节的人,我也开始学会和他一起相处,明白我的‘是什么’需要比平时更详细,尽管我有时没那么多耐心去解释,比如我会说:嘿,宝贝。
He's a detail oriented person, and I've started to learn with him that my what is needs to be quite a bit longer than sometimes I have patience for as I start to frame, oh, hey, baby.
你能把狗送到宠物护理中心去吗?我需要你把狗送到宠物护理中心去。
Could you take the dog over to the I need you to take the dog over to the dog care.
我不是从那里开始的。
I don't start there.
我一开始会说,天哪。
I start with, oh my gosh.
明天,我有一连串的会议。
Tomorrow, I've got back to back meetings.
事实上,我马上就要上伦尼的播客了,而那时候她总是抱怨个不停。
In fact, I'm gonna be on Lenny's podcast right about here, and that's when she's whiny.
如果这事没办成,我就得改到下周,但下周我已经排得满满当当了。
And what's gonna happen is if that doesn't happen, I'm gonna have to reschedule next week, and next week, it's just loaded up.
你知道的,当我一天结束时压力很大,情绪就会变得很难应付。
And I you know how it is when I'm stressed out at the end of the day and serial I'm kinda hard to deal with.
你知道吧?
You know?
我在想,那可能会怎样呢?
And I'm saying, well, what could be?
你知道吗?
You know what?
那个宠物寄养的地方,你知道的,她上次特别喜欢。
The doggy place, you know, she was loved it last time.
她当时和一只红色的骑士查理斯猎犬依偎在一起,玩得可开心了。
She was spooning with a red cavalier king spaniel and loved it.
你知道吗?
You know?
就是那样的。
It's like that.
我得再给他详细解释一下,然后新的幸福可以是任何你想要的婚姻承诺。
I have to unpack it a little bit more for him, and then the new bliss could be any sort of marital promise you want it to be.
但我必须先梳理一下当前的状态,稍微理清一下过程,然后再说明可能的情况。
But I just have to unpack the current state, a little bit of the process, and then I state what could be.
有趣的是,像他帮我送狗去宠物寄养中心这样的举动,真的让我感到被爱。
And and it's funny because acts of service like that, like him taking the dog to the doggy daycare for me or is, is like, I feel loved.
所以当有人为我慷慨地付出时间时,我就感到被爱。
So when someone does something generous with their time for me, it's how I feel loved.
因此,在如何以同理心与他人沟通方面,这里面有很多内容值得探讨。
And so there's a whole lot there in shaping how you communicate with someone empathetically.
在我的公司,每个人都了解彼此的爱的语言。
At my company, everyone knows each other's love language.
比如,他们知道这个人收到一封手写便条时会感到更受重视。
Like, they know that this person feels more appreciated when they get a written note.
这个人收到礼物时会感到更受重视,而所有人都知道这一点。
This person feels more appreciated when they get a gift, and and everyone knows that.
所以这已经深深融入了我们的——我不知道,我们的婚姻,我们的公司,这就是我们的运作方式。
So that's just baked into our, I don't know, our marriage, our our company, just how it rolls.
我猜听这个播客的人原本没打算听婚姻建议。
I imagine people listening to this podcast were not, expecting marriage advice.
哦。
Oh.
我很喜欢这一点。
And so I love that.
我会试试的。
I'm gonna try it.
如果这不管用的话。
That if it doesn't work.
不过,这个过程建议很好。
The process tip, though, is good.
会是最精彩的部分。
Is gonna be the best part.
这整个播客就该是这样。
This is gonna be the whole podcast.
这只是一个片段。
It's just the segment.
开玩笑的。
Just joking.
但这确实是很好的建议。
But this is this is really good advice.
我打算自己试试用它。
I'm gonna try to use it myself.
所以,我觉得这个结构更容易理解,不必非得把它想成充满故事性的故事。
So the structure, I think it's even easier to think about this less as, like, story infused story.
对我来说,更像是:现状是什么,可能是什么,理想中的幸福是什么。
Like, for me, it's more this what is, what could be, what is the ideal bliss.
这几乎是更简单的思考方式。
Like, that's almost the simpler way to think about it.
故事就是,天啊。
The story is this, like, oh my god.
我得想个故事。
I gotta think of a story.
它就是一个开头、一个中间和一个结尾。
It is a beginning, a middle, and an end.
所以第一个‘是什么’是开端。
So the first what is is the beginning.
中间是混乱的中间阶段。
The the middle is the messy middle.
你需要在这里进行对比,让他们看到事情有多混乱。
That's where you're trying to contrast and show them that it's messy.
这可能会很难。
It might be hard.
但这是值得的。
It's worth it.
你知道的。
You know?
然后是新的幸福状态,结尾要呈现一种幸福结局,就像西方文化中那样。
And then the new bliss, you end with what, you know, in Western cultures where it's like a happy ending.
所以新的幸福状态,就是想象一个你的想法被广泛采纳的世界。
So the new bliss is just imagine a world with your idea adopted.
然后你以诗意或务实的方式描绘出那个世界,这样就有效了。
Just and then you paint a picture of that world poetically or pragmatically, and it works.
这确实有效。
It definitely works.
好的。
Okay.
这太棒了。
This is really great.
所以总结一下,第一点是让你的听众成为故事的主角。
So just to recap, point one is to make your listener the hero of the story
嗯。
Mhmm.
并以同理心来切入。
And come at it with empathy.
我其实想到‘非同凡想’这个广告活动就是一个绝佳的例子,因为它讲的是你与众不同,成为非凡的自己。
And I was actually thinking the think different campaign is an excellent example of that because it's about you thinking differently and being this incredible Exactly.
有创意的。
Creative.
好的。
Okay.
然后第二点是让你的演讲充满故事,这就是所谓的新颖愉悦之处。
And then item two is infuse your presentation with story and this what is, what could be new bliss.
然后,好的。
And then okay.
第三点是什么来着?
And number three what was number three again?
哦,是问自己,他们能否看到你在说什么。
Oh, it was ask yourself if they can see what you're saying.
他们能否看到我在说什么,这会是写在便签上的内容。
Can they see what I'm saying would be what would be written on the note.
我太喜欢这个了。
I love this.
好的。
Okay.
我们来谈谈这个。
Let's talk about that.
这什么意思?你该怎么做到?
What does that mean, and how do you do that?
为了让人们看到你所说的内容,你可以利用视觉工具,比如演示软件。
So for people to see what you're saying, that you have opportunity to use visual tools like the presentation software.
你还可以请现场的速写师边听边画出来。
You have opportunities to have live Sketchers sketch it while you're talking.
有很多方法可以帮助人们看到你所说的内容。
There's so many ways you can help people see what you're saying.
我认为,你可以在演讲中使用一些让人始终铭记的东西。
I would contend that you you can use something in your talk that gives people something they'll always remember.
我们称之为亮点时刻。
We call that a star moment.
它可能是一组具有冲击力的数据,把庞大的数字展示出来。
And it could be a piece of dramatic data where the big numbers put up there.
它也可能是一个富有感染力的故事。
It could be a, an evocative story.
它也可能是一幅美丽的图片。
It could be a beautiful picture.
在科技公司中,一个非常有效的方法是通过图片来展示,从而达成共识。
One of the things that happens really well, especially with tech companies, is demonstrating through a picture so you can get alignment.
所以,像图表这样的概念,当你描述你正在开发的产品时,它是在这个产品内部、外部,还是与之相连?
So the concept of a diagram, like, when when you describe your product that you're working on, is this thing inside of it, outside of it, attached to it?
它是附着在上面的吗?
Is it on it?
它是位于上方的吗?
Is it above it?
尤其是幻灯片,或者技术如何在一个复杂系统中流动的方式。
Like, especially, slides or or just how technology works as something flows through a complex system.
当人们能够看到这些内容,并与你的口头叙述相结合时,他们就能真正理解你要表达的意思,并继续前进。
When people can see that and it accompanies your verbal, narrative, they can actually understand what you're conveying and and move on.
如果你只有口头叙述,效果就不会那么好。
If you only had a verbal narrative, it wouldn't work as well.
但很多时候,你并没有演示文稿或幻灯片的支持。
There's a lot of times, though, where you don't have the support of a presentation or slides.
你可能正坐在餐桌旁。
You could be at a dinner table.
如果你正在进行一场有趣的对话,想让对方理解你的观点,这时你就会拿出餐巾纸画出来。
If you're in a interesting conversation and you want someone to see what you're saying, that's where you pull out the napkin and you draw it.
这样你们俩都能看到。
So you could both see it.
在会议中,有时有人会直接走到白板前画点什么。
In meetings sometimes, someone will just walk right up to the board and draw something.
我的团队,尤其是我的设计团队,非常擅长这一点,他们会站起来说:我想为你画出我看到的东西,因为我们即将准备向观众做演示。
And my team, especially my design team, is so good at this because they'll just stand up and say, I wanna I wanna draw for you what I see because we're about to prepare them to present to an audience.
当你口头这么说的时候,我看到了这个。
When you verbally said that, I saw this.
这是你的本意吗?
Was that your intent?
然后整个房间的人会站起来,我们一起共同创作一幅图,让每个人看到的都是完全相同的内容、完全相同的步骤、完全相同的洞察,并且按相同的顺序,这样没有人离开时心中还带着疑问。
And then the then the room will stand up, and we'll start all co creating a graphic so that everyone sees the exact same thing, the exact same steps, the exact same insights in the order so nobody leaves with a question in their mind.
让所有人对‘这到底是什么’达成一致,这真的非常重要。
And that's just so important for there to be an alignment around what what is this?
我们都在为什幺正在奋斗?
What are we all fighting for?
我们都在为什幺而活着?
What are we all living for?
我们都在为什幺而工作?
What are we all working for?
这些达成一致的时刻,极其重要。
And those moments of alignment are so, so important.
我是一个能看见空气中事物的领导者。
And I'm I'm a leader who sees things in the air.
我只是看得见。
I just see it.
而对我来说,我善于发现模式,你也是一样。
And to me, my pattern finding nature, which you're like that too.
对吧?
Right?
我能看出这些模式。
I could see these patterns.
对我来说,我能看见整个场景,而且看得非常清晰。
And to me, I I see a whole scene, and I could see it all clearly.
但当我的团队试图看同样的东西时,他们可能只看到巨大马赛克图画中的22块碎片。
But when my team's trying to look at the same thing, they might see 22 mosaic tiles out of a massive mosaic beautiful picture.
我看到的是最终美丽的画面,但我只提供了几处小小的马赛克碎片。
I see the final beautiful picture, but I've only served up a, you know, a little tiny mosaic tile, you know, in a few places.
所以我甚至需要更好地把想法落地,明确地说出:哦,这里有七个步骤,可以达成这个了不起的结果。
And so I even have to be better about really bringing it to earth and saying, oh, here's the seven steps to get to this amazing outcome.
嗯。
Mhmm.
有时候,我们在脑海中看得如此清晰。
Sometimes we see things so plainly in our mind's eye.
我曾经和一位非常著名、有影响力的首席执行官合作。
And I was working with a really famous, powerful CEO.
嗯。
Mhmm.
当她说话时,我就想,是的,我能看见她。
And as she was talking, it's like, yeah, I could see her.
我也在观察她的手势,她当时处于某种状态,不停地挥动双臂,动作很有特点。
I was watching her hand motions too, and she was like in this thing and this, and, like, she's moving her arms around in in a distinct way.
于是我告诉她:我能看出来,你脑海中有一幅画面。
And I said, I can tell you you have a picture in your mind's eye.
让我画出来,我和她做了同样的事,走过去。
Let me draw for what I and I did the same thing, walked up.
德鲁有这个、有这个、有这个,然后她就说,没错。
Drew had this, had this, had this, and and she's like, exactly.
我们被请来是因为没人能准确描述出她脑海中的画面。
And we were brought in because nobody could articulate at all what she saw in her mind's eye.
因此,这是一个需要在整个零售体系中推广的庞大项目。
And so that was a massive program to be to be rolled out to the entire retail.
有十万名零售员工需要理解这张图。
It was like a 100,000 retail workers needed to understand this graphic.
而她试图推行的整个流程却始终难以推进。
And and the whole process she was trying to roll out wasn't getting traction.
一旦人们能看见她所说的内容,这个项目所需的所有突破就立刻发生了。
So the minute people could see what she was saying, then it had all the breakthroughs that needed to happen around that program.
这让我想起我在Airbnb负责超级房屋项目时的经历。
That reminds me of, when I was working on the super house program at Airbnb.
我不确定这个故事会不会对任何人有吸引力,但我记得我有一套非常清晰的手势动作,用来描述超级房东计划的战略,然后我的朋友说:‘你应该把这些画到幻灯片上。’
I don't know if the story will be of any interest to anyone, but I just remember I had this very clear hand set of motions that describe the strategy of the super host program, and then my friend's like, you should you should draw this on a slide.
画出来。
Draw it.
好的。
Yeah.
而且那种手势本身就非常有力。
And Unless it's such a powerful hand gesture.
对吧?
Right?
你可以这么做,因为你的身体本身就是视觉化的。
You could do that because your body is visual.
我们还试图让客户明白,如果金博士在‘我有一个梦想’演讲那天用了幻灯片,那效果根本不会这么动人。
And the other thing we try to get our customers to do is, like, if doctor King had slides that day of the I have a dream speech, it just wouldn't have been as beautiful.
他的言辞在我们脑海中描绘出了画面。
Like, his words painted the pictures in our mind's eye.
所以当我们不使用幻灯片时,人们会专注于你的语言表达,专注于你口中说出的内容,这种完全不依赖视觉辅助的时刻非常有力。
And so when we can have the slides off, so people are focused on the verbal stream and what's coming out of your mouth, that is such powerful moment is to not have any visual supporting you.
因此,他们100%专注于你的身体表现、你的呈现方式,以及你口中说出的词语,而不是通过图像来理解你所说的内容,这样反而更好。
So they're 100% focused on your on your body, how you're showing up, and on the words coming out of your mouth is and they're verbally seeing what you're saying versus actually pictorially seeing what you're saying is it's good.
我喜欢人们不盯着我的感觉,我更希望他们被幻灯片分散注意力。
I like the idea that people are not staring at me, and I prefer them distracted with a slide.
但我想稍后聊聊关于演讲时的紧张情绪之类的问题。
But, but and I wanna talk about, like, nerves and stuff presenting in a bit.
是的。
Yeah.
但这很有趣。
But, that's interesting.
所以你谈的是一些关于幻灯片的具体建议。
So you're talking about very kinda some concrete tips for slides.
我经常听到的一种说法是,当你在内部分享演示文稿或进行内部会议时,最有效的方式是:显然,只需一个简单的图片,但同时,每张幻灯片的标题就是你希望听众从该页获取的核心观点。
And something I've heard a lot is when you're sharing a deck internally or talking, like, an internal meeting, it's really powerful to just have, obviously, just like a quick image thing, but then also the title of the slide is the point you want them to get from that slide.
你推荐这样做吗?
Is that something you recommend?
然后,一般来说,有没有什么具体的建议,教人如何让幻灯片更有效?
And then generally, any just like very tactical advice on how to make a slide effect.
每张幻灯片都应该传达一个观点。
The the concept that each slide should make one point.
所以,你的整个演讲应该基于我们所说的观众旅程,也就是你希望他们从哪里出发,最终到达哪里。
So your your whole presentation should be grounded in what we call the audience journey, which is the big idea, where you're trying to move them from, where you're trying to move them to.
而核心观点就是:你的立场是什么?如果他们采纳或不采纳,会有什么利害关系?
And then a big idea is, what is your point of view and what's at stake if they do or do not adopt it?
这是你整个演示文稿的组织框架。
That's the organizing mechanism for your whole deck.
而每一张支持这个核心观点的幻灯片,本身也应该只传达一个要点,来支撑这个核心观点。
And then each slide itself that supports that one big, big idea, each slide itself should make one point in support of that big idea.
人们无法同时处理太多信息。
People can't process too many things at one time.
所以根据你所在的工作环境,有些人希望在幻灯片顶部不放关键洞察。
So depending on where you work, some people want, something that's, not the key insight at the top of the slide.
有些人则喜欢这样。
Some people do.
有些人希望明确行动方案,也有些人希望清晰展现理想中的未来状态。
So some might want the action to be taken, or some might want the dreamy future state to be clear.
很多咨询公司制作的幻灯片内容非常密集,因为他们花了数百万美元来制作一份庞大的演示文稿。
A lot of some consulting firms, where the slides are much denser because they were paid millions of dollars to make a big old deck.
你知道,有些人觉得它总该放在右下角。
You know, some of them are like, oh, it always belongs in the lower right corner.
所以这在一定程度上取决于品牌风格,每个人又都觉得它应该在别的地方。
It always so it's kind of a little bit up to the brand, and everyone believes it belongs somewhere else.
如果你在制作我们所说的‘幻灯片文档’——我认为你的听众会对此感兴趣。
If you're making what we call a slide doc, which I think your listenership is interest would be interested in.
演示文稿正从大型正式演讲,转变为在会议中说服同事:我可以做个演示吗?
Presentations go from big staged event to, like, in a meeting where you're trying to persuade your peers to, can I make a presentation?
我可以通过邮件直接发送,每个人都能收到。
I can just circulate on email and everyone gets it.
这叫做幻灯片文档。
Well, that's called a slide doc.
你得多写点文字。
You put more words.
你得配上更清晰的图示。
You put stronger picture.
你可以有一个100页的附录,而前面可能只有五张幻灯片。
You could have a 100 page appendix, and maybe the front of it's only five slides.
但所有你需要展示思路的内容,都会跟在后面。
But everything they need to see your thinking, it follows behind it.
你可以把这些材料发出去,让大家阅读。
And you could circulate those and people read it.
你要写完整的句子。
You write full sentences.
你写的是完整的段落。
You write full prose.
这有点像亚马逊里很流行的六页备忘录,但我们认为你既要有文字也要有图片。
It's kinda like the six page memo that's so popular at Amazon, but we contend that you have words and pictures.
六页备忘录更好。
The six page memo is better.
那么,没有演讲者协助的情况下,你如何分发备忘录呢?
So how do you send a memo around without the help of a presenter?
这是一端,而这种形式被称为你在演示软件中制作的幻灯片文档。
And that's on one extreme, and those are called slide docs that you build in presentation software.
另一端则是我站在一个巨大的舞台上,中间还有各种各样的使用方式。
And then the other extreme is I'm on a massive stage somewhere, and there's all kinds of usage in between.
所以我认为每张幻灯片只表达一个观点很重要。
And so I think the one idea per slide is important.
然后这个指导原则是:除非一张幻灯片能支持你整个演讲的核心观点,否则不要制作它。
And then this guiding principle, like, don't make a single slide unless it supports the one big idea of your whole talk.
这是制作幻灯片的另一个原则,因为大多数人会回到某个数据存储中的仓库,翻找旧的糟糕幻灯片,试图快速拼凑出一些东西。
That's another principle for slide making because most people go back to, like, some sort of repository in some data store somewhere, and they dig through old crappy slides and see if they can assemble something super quickly.
这是一种逃避行为。
And that's a cop out.
大多数情况下,如果你真正从观众的角度出发进行共情思考,去仓库查找可能让你完成一半的工作,但你应该根据你所面对的听众来修改和调整所有内容。
Like, some most of the time, if you really think empathetically about your audience, the going to the repository might get you halfway there, but you should be modifying and mapping all of the content based on who you're talking to.
尤其是当事情非常重要时。
And, especially if it's high stakes.
有时候,你面对的观众希望看到信息密度高的幻灯片,因为这符合他们文化的沟通方式。
And sometimes you're speaking to an audience that wants high density slides because that's how they communicate in their culture.
如果你带着电影级的舞台幻灯片出现,他们会笑得你下不了台。
And if you showed up with cinematic stage ready slides, they'd laugh you out of the room.
所以你真的必须知道,你必须了解你的观众。
And, so you just really gotta I mean, you gotta know your audience.
你得知道他们如何沟通、和谁交流,并据此进行匹配。
You gotta know how they communicate, who they talk to, and and map to that.
本集由Eppo赞助播出。
This episode is brought to you by Eppo.
Eppo是一个由Airbnb前员工打造的下一代A/B测试平台,专为现代增长团队设计。
Eppo is a next generation AB testing platform built by Airbnb alums for modern growth teams.
DraftKings、Zapier、ClickUp、Twitch和Cameo等公司都依赖Eppo来驱动他们的实验。
Companies like DraftKings, Zapier, ClickUp, Twitch, and Cameo rely on Eppo to power their experiments.
无论你在哪里工作,进行实验正变得越来越重要,但目前还没有任何商业工具能与现代增长团队的技术栈无缝集成。
Wherever you work, running experiments is increasingly essential, but there are no commercial tools that integrate with a modern Grow Team stack.
这导致了时间浪费在开发内部工具上,或试图通过笨拙的营销工具运行自己的实验。
This leads to waste of time building internal tools or trying to run your own experiments through a clunky marketing tool.
当我还在Airbnb时,我最喜爱的一件事就是我们的实验平台,我能够按设备类型、国家、用户阶段来切片和分析数据。
When I was at Airbnb, one of the things that I loved most about working there was our experimentation platform, where I was able to slice and dice data by device types, country, user stage.
Eppo不仅能做到这些,还能更快地提供结果,避免繁琐冗长的数据分析周期,并帮助你轻松找到任何问题的根本原因。
Eppo does all that and more delivering results quickly, avoiding annoying prolonged analytic cycles, and helping you easily get to the root cause of any issue you discover.
Eppo让你超越基本的点击率指标,转而使用你的核心指标,如激活率、留存率、订阅和支付。
Eppo lets you go beyond basic click through metrics and instead use your North Star metrics like activation, retention, subscription, and payments.
Eppo 支持在前端、后端、电子邮件营销甚至机器学习模型上进行测试。
Eppo supports test on the front end, on the back end, email marketing, even machine learning claims.
前往 geteppo.com 了解 Eppo。
Check out Eppo at geteppo.com.
那就是 geteppo.com,让你的实验速度提升十倍。
That's geteppo.com and 10 x your experiment velocity.
你对麦肯锡金字塔原理有什么看法?
What's your take on the Minto Pyramid Principle?
我不知道你有没有考虑过这个。
I don't know if you think about that.
好的。
Okay.
是的。
Yeah.
因为是的。
Because Yeah.
因为有一个建议是,先给出结论,然后再解释原因。
Because there's a recommendation of just, start with the conclusion and then explain why.
你说有时候这样有效,有时候则不然。
And you're saying sometimes that's effective, sometimes not.
也许在是的。
Maybe in yeah.
然后我
And then I
有时候是有效的。
Sometimes it's effective.
所以明托原则非常出色。
So the Minto Principle is amazing.
比如,她提到的是横向思维和纵向思维吗?
Like, she's got the, was it horizontal and vertical thinking?
所以你的主要段落或主要章节标题应该相互呼应,而所有的幻灯片都应支持它们。
So your main segues or your main section head should add up, and then all the slides should support it.
还有,它的结构是怎样的。
And then also, how the construct of it is.
当你先陈述结论时,这对高管来说是非常有效的方式。
And when you're when when you state the conclusion first, that's a great thing to do with execs.
在融资时,这也是非常有效的方式。
It's a great thing to do when you are fundraising.
有一种特定的受众群体,这种方式对他们很有效。
There's a certain type of an audience that that works for.
但也有其他类型的受众,他们需要被引导去渴望这种未来状态,你需要更长的时间来展开说明。
There's other audiences where they really need to be taught to long for this future state, and you need longer to unpack it.
所以你之所以要先提出结论,其中一个原因就是特别是在融资轮次中。
So one of the reasons you would start with the conclusion is, especially in a funding round.
不过,我对结论或结果的理解与她描述的不同,因为我会说,你应该从一种新的幸福状态开始。
Now my version of a conclusion or a result or is different than how she describes it because I would say you start with a new bliss.
所以,如果你在寻求融资,你会说:‘今天我要和你们分享一些东西’,然后阐述你的解决方案如何提升人类的福祉。
So if you're trying to raise funds, you would say, I'm gonna share you some share with you something today that and you share how your solution increases human flourishing.
它必须与人性以及你要解决的重大问题、人类如何解决这些问题、人类整体将如何受益联系起来。
Like, it needs to be tied to the humanness and the big problem you're gonna solve and how human solve and how humankind will benefit.
这与顾问只是出现并说‘嗨’完全不同。
Well, that's different than just, like a consultant would show up and say, hi.
我有一份800页的演示文稿,它的结果就是这些。
I have this 800 page deck, and the results of it are this.
让我们来深入分析一下。
Let's unpack it.
这是一种完全不同的表达方式。
It's just a completely different motion.
我们使用的是三幕式故事结构,这也大不相同。
And we use a three act story structure, that's quite a bit different too.
但这项工作很扎实,它的基础有点像我的工作。
But, that work is solid, and it was based kinda like my work.
她的工作是长期深入钻研麦肯锡的思维模式,而我的工作则是横向考察全球35家表现最出色的、曾是我们的客户的品牌。
Her her work was based in going super deep in Mackenzie's thinking over time, whereas my work is going laterally across the 35 highest performing brands in the world that have been our customers.
所以我横向研究了所有这些品牌,然后提出了更注重故事性、适用于更广泛公司场景的解决方案。
So I went laterally across all those brands and then and then come up with solutions that are based more in story and are based in a broader, a bit of broader application across companies.
但我对那项工作充满敬意。
But I have tons of respect for that body of work.
太棒了。
Awesome.
我们会附上我写的一篇关于这个概念的文章,供想深入了解的人参考。
And we'll link to, I wrote a post about this whole concept for folks that wanna dig deeper.
关于实际幻灯片制作,再问一个问题。
Maybe one more question around tactical slide stuff.
我知道大家经常问你这类问题,但我实在忍不住。
And I know this is like people ask you about this stuff all the time, but I can't help it.
你坐在那里试图制作几张幻灯片时,还有什么其他建议吗?
I guess just any other tips for just, like, you're sitting there trying to create a couple slides.
还有什么其他要点是人们应该记住,以便让幻灯片更有效果的?
Like, what else maybe people should keep in mind to make it effective?
假设这是为一场小型会议准备的。
And let's say this is for, a small meeting.
是的。
Yeah.
这是个好问题。
I that's a good question.
我认为,如果这确实是会议中的一个重要观点,那就先花点时间思考一下。
I think that if do some thinking first if it if it's important, like, if it's an important point of the meeting.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我的团队被教导要先随手画一画,稍微换个环境。
My team is taught to just kinda sketch, change your environment up a little bit.
很多人一上来就打开演示文稿,但这种方式非常线性。
A lot of people will fire up the deck, which is very linear.
就是做一张幻灯片,然后第二张,第三张。
It's like make one slide, second slide, third slide.
所以先花一分钟思考和规划一下。
So just think and plan for a minute.
我们通常会画类似故事板的东西。
And, we tend to draw, like, storyboards.
就是说,好吧。
It's like, okay.
第一个要点,第二个要点,第三个要点,或者干脆先好好想想。
The first point, the second point, the third point, or the you know, just think first.
它可以是纸质的或数字的,比如在你所有演示文稿前面放一页纸。
It could be analog or digital, like put a page in front of all your decks.
就只是几个方框。
It's just boxes.
先把叙事理清楚。
Just just get the narrative right.
当你真正打开软件时,才需要思考:哪种幻灯片类型最能传达这一点?
And then when you actually open up the software, that's where you have to think about what are the what's the slide type that will convey this the most?
这是一个表格吗?
Is it a table?
放一个表格。
Put a table.
特别是对于项目经理来说,你必须传达密集的项目信息、项目情况和产品信息,而这必然伴随着信息密度。
Especially for, like, program managers, you have to convey dense project information, program information, product information, and that comes with density.
所以,如果你和同事在同一个房间里,每个人都是团队成员,都有自己的一套简写和工作方式,那就把那个共同的幻灯片放出来。
So if you're in a room with your peers and everyone in the room is a team and everyone has their own shorthand and way of working, put that common slide up there.
那个团队常用的幻灯片对外界来说可能信息密集,但每个人都习惯使用它。
That common slide for that team might be dense to the outside world, but it but everyone's used to using it.
所以,使用一个大家熟知且普遍接受的框架、幻灯片、表格或Excel表格并没有任何坏处,因为你是在围绕一个流程达成一致。
So there's no harm in using a commonly known, commonly acceptable framework or slide or table or Excel spreadsheet because you're aligning around a process.
所以,别觉得每次会议都得放一些萌猫的电影级图片,那样根本帮不上忙。
And so don't feel like every single meeting needs, like, cinematic pictures of kittens because that's not gonna get you anywhere.
你的目标是推动目标前进,这意味着你的幻灯片可能会更密集。
You're trying to move an objective along, and that does mean that your slides might be more dense.
有时,内部幻灯片包含更多关键信息,这些信息对于推动产品或流程进展至关重要。
And sometimes internal slides have a lot more important information that needs to be on it to kick a product along or kick a process along.
你刚才谈的是流程,这正好引出了我想问的一个问题:当你帮助一家公司打造出色的演示文稿时,你的流程是怎样的?
You're just talking about process, and that is a great segue to a question I wanted to ask is just what is your what is your process look like when you're working with a company to help them craft an awesome presentation?
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
有趣的是,我现在不需要再做这么多事了。
It's funny because I I don't have to do this much anymore.
我已经大约十五年没做过这件事了,这很好。
I haven't done I haven't done it for about fifteen years, which is nice.
我有一支出色的团队,包括策略师、撰稿人、概念思考者和富有创意的设计师。
I have a gorgeous team of strategist writers, conceptual thinkers, beautiful design curious.
教练。
Coaches.
是的,就是这样。
It's a yeah.
我知道。
I know.
我会接受指导。
I get I get coached.
这很有趣。
I get it's fun.
我的书看起来确实很棒,但这不是因为我,而是因为我身边总有一群人在做着非常出色的工作。
I I I definitely my books look awesome, not because of me, but because I'm followed around by people that are do really gorgeous work.
但你知道,我们内部以及有时对客户使用的说法是:我们做演示的方式就像皮克斯制作电影一样。
But, you know, the the phrase that we use internally and sometimes with customers is, we we make presentations the way Pixar makes movies.
这和我们帮助那些身处关键时刻、此事对他们而言至关重要的人的方式非常相似。
And that's very similar to the way we get somebody that has this high stakes moment where it's it's a big deal in this moment.
你必须在这一刻赢得胜利,才能推动事情向前发展。
You have to win in the moment to push things along.
所以我们确实这么做了。
And so we do.
我们 literally 构建叙事、提炼核心理念、撰写脚本,并可视化某些关键场景。
Like, we literally craft a narrative, craft the big idea, craft the script, and visualize certain moments.
我们开始规划它。
We start to map it out.
我们开始将其分块处理。
We start to chunk it out.
然后,当你们真正打造一个革命性的模型时,比如一个能驱动所有网络资产的模型,很多人没有意识到,这些内容其实最初是以想法的形式出现在演示中的。
And then big models, sometimes when you're really making a revolutionary model, one that could drive all the web assets, a lot of that stuff people don't realize actually happens in the presentation first as an idea.
因此,我们有时也会立即开始处理一些关键模型,并在公司内部传播,因为每个人都需要就这些内容达成共识。
So sometimes we'll start working on some of the key models right away too, and we start to circulate that around the company because every everyone has to build consensus around it.
所以,有时会有多个并行的行动在同时进行。
So sometimes there's multiple motions happening at the same time.
比如,我们先来草拟一下这个。
Like, let's sketch this.
你离开。
You go away.
你和这个部门合作。
You work with this department.
你试着解决这个问题。
You try to get this settled.
你把那个安排好。
You get that set.
你搞定这个。
You get this.
你明白吗?
You know?
然后最终它会被重新组装起来,是的。
And so and then it gets reassembled, yeah, at the end.
接着,叙事部分就是不断打磨,把所有问题都解决掉。
And then the narrative is work where you work all the kinks out.
当他们站出来陈述时,就会说:是的。
And then when they stand and deliver, it's like, yes.
这是配音轨,所有这些流程都为此提供了支持。
The it's the voice track, that all the all that process supported.
还有其他时候,我们会制作报告,比如在幻灯片文档中;曾经有一段时间,我们接触过一家跨国公司的高管,名字就不提了。
And then other times, we're building a report in a slide doc or, there there was a time where we had a multinational, a head of a multinational company that will remain nameless.
而负责整个印度业务的那个人打算过来,向首席执行官申请一亿美元的预算。
And and the guy that was head of all of India was gonna come over here and petition the CEO for a $100,000,000 $100,000,000 budget.
这可不是小事。
It's nontrivial.
他来了之后就说:好吧。
And he comes and is like, okay.
我需要你们帮我润色这五页幻灯片,然后他就把这五页发给我们了。
I need your help with these five slides, and he just sends us the five slides.
我们当时就说:嗯,一亿美元啊。
And we're like, well, yeah, a 100,000,000.
这可真不少。
That's kind of a lot.
你真的想在你和CEO之间插入技术吗?
You really wanna put technology between you and the CEO?
在你向他申请这笔资金的关键时刻,你真的想并排坐着,俩人都盯着电脑屏幕吗?
Do you really wanna sit side by side and both be looking at a computer in this moment where it's like you're petitioning him for?
这是一大笔钱。
That's a lot of money.
他却说,是的。
And he's like, yeah.
你说得对。
You're right.
所以我们做了一个他能在脑海中构建的心理模型,这个结构简单而清晰。
So what we did is we made a mental model he could hold up in his head, and the structure was so simple and clear.
然后有三个时刻,我们觉得,干脆拿张纸或者去白板前,直接在他面前画出来。
And then there was three moments where we're like, just, I don't know, just grab a piece of paper or go to a whiteboard and just start to draw in front of him.
让他看到你的眼睛。
Let him see your eyes.
让他与你有眼神交流。
Let him have eye contact.
让他看到你的热情。
Let him see your passion.
别只是冷淡地盯着这台电脑。
Like, don't be dispassionately looking at this computer.
他这么做了,然后给我们打了电话。
And he did it, and he called us.
他说:‘我拿到一亿美元了。’
And he's like, I got my $100,000,000.
你知道吗?
You know?
所以,就是这些时刻,你必须意识到:等等。
So it's just those moments that it's just those moments where you have to realize, wait.
等等。
Wait.
等等。
Wait.
等等。
Wait.
我需要准备一份演示文稿吗?
Do I need a deck?
我在跟谁说话?
Who am I talking to?
这是一套标准化的流程吗?同样的方法每次都能奏效吗?
And should I should I is this a cookie cutter thing, and is the same process work every time?
不。
No.
所以每次我们解决问题时,情况都完全不同,我们会努力让它贴合演讲者及其听众的独特需求。
So every time we solve something, it's very different, and we try to make it unique to the presenter and the audience that they're speaking to.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。