本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我们正目睹第一代寿命可能比父母更短的孩子。
We're looking at the first generation of children living shorter lives than their parents.
心脏病——英国第二大杀手,可通过植物性饮食逆转。
Heart disease, the number two killer of Brits reversible with a plant based diet.
我们本已掌握治疗方法,却仍有数十万人不断死去。
We had the cure, yet hundreds of thousands of people continue to die.
我望向大西洋彼岸,美国人比以往任何时候都更肥胖,正走向死亡。
I look across the Atlantic, Americans more obese than ever, on their way to death.
为什么人们不听劝告?
Why aren't people listening?
这个嘛,他们只是被搞糊涂了。
Well, they're just confused.
他们不知道真相。
They don't know.
而产业集团正希望维持这种局面。
And the industry wants it that way.
我是说,这个系统靠慢性病运转。
I mean, the system runs off of chronic disease.
企业会因为美国人均寿命首次下降而节省多少亿美元?
How many billions of dollars corporations are going to save because life expectancy is dropping for the first time in The States?
这简直是扭曲的经济激励。
Talk about perverse financial incentive.
我们确定加工肉类会致癌的程度,就像确定钚、香烟烟雾和石棉会致癌一样。
We are as certain processed meat causes cancer in human beings than we are that plutonium causes cancer and cigarette smoke and asbestos.
你想抽烟吗?
You wanna smoke?
抽吧。
Smoke.
你想吃肉吗?
You wanna eat meat?
吃吧。
Eat meat.
但要意识到这可能对你的家庭造成的影响。
But recognize what this might be doing to your family.
本周节目中,我们邀请了迈克尔·格雷格医生——他是执业医师、畅销书作家及演说家,倡导以全植物性饮食来避免死亡。
This week on the show, we have doctor Michael Greger, who is a physician, best selling author and speaker, who advocates a whole foods plant based diet in order not to die.
这正是他最新著作《如何不死》的主题,书中详细分析了15大死亡原因,并阐述如何通过植物饮食及减少动物蛋白与乳制品摄入来预防这些疾病。
And that's the name of his latest book, How Not To Die, and he goes through the 15 leading causes of death and how they can be prevented by eating plants and to get off our diet of animal proteins and dairy.
听着,你可能并非纯素食主义者。
And look, you might not be a vegan or a vegetarian.
我自己也曾长期如此,但这项更健康的生活方式有着难以否认的科学依据。
I know I wasn't for a long time, but it's hard to deny the science that this is a healthier way of living.
自从我开始加强身体锻炼后,我尝试实践'无肉星期一',并努力将这些理念融入生活和饮食——科学依据确凿,格雷格医生的观点很难反驳。
And ever since I've been doing more body movement, I try to do a meat less Monday, and I really try to incorporate these things into my life and my diet, and the science is there, and it's very hard to argue with doctor Gregory.
他的论述极具说服力。
He's really compelling.
他的非营利网站nutritionfacts.org展示了如何将这些理念融入生活,我认为这将是改变游戏规则的关键。
His website nutritionfacts.org is a purely nonprofit way to show you how you can incorporate this stuff into your life, and I believe it's a game changer.
我认为五十年或一百年后,我们大多数人都会以植物性食物为主。
I think fifty or a hundred years from now, we all will be eating a majority of plant food.
所以听听他的建议吧。
So listen to him.
他非常风趣幽默。
He's super entertaining.
他特别有意思,而且我觉得你会从中学到关于饮食的新知识。
He's lots of fun, and, I think you're gonna learn something about your diet.
再说一次,不妨试试看。
And again, just try it.
尝试每周一两天采用植物性饮食,看看效果如何。
Try one day, two days a week of a plant based diet and see how it goes for you.
我也在做同样的事,而且非常喜欢这种改变。
I'm doing the same thing, and I absolutely love it.
同时我也很期待伦敦真实学院即将推出的'启迪演讲'项目,学院内部现在充满活力。
And I'm also loving all the action going on inside the London Real Academy because we're about to launch our Speak to Inspire program.
这是一个为期六周的课程,我将教你如何像伦敦真实节目中最杰出的嘉宾那样演讲和公开讲话,如何带着你的信息启程使命,如何将你的信息带上舞台,以及如何通过激励性演讲在职场、董事会和客户面前表现得更好。
It's a six weeks where I show you how to talk, how to public speak like some of the greatest guests on London Real, how you can take your message and start on a mission, how you can take your message to the stage, how you can do better at work in the boardroom and with clients by speaking to inspire.
所以快去看看课程吧。
So go in there, check it out.
我准备了大量免费内容和视频。
I got tons of free content and free video.
如果你想加入我,用六周时间实现自我蜕变,那就立即行动吧。
If you want to join me for six weeks of accountability to transform who you are, then jump on in and do it.
现在我把时间交给博士。
And now I leave you with Doctor.
迈克尔·格雷格。
Michael Greger.
这里是伦敦真实。
This is London Real.
我是布莱恩·罗斯。
I am Brian Rose.
我今天的嘉宾是博士。
My guest today is Doctor.
迈克尔·格雷格医生,他是一位医师、畅销书作家和演说家,倡导以植物性全食物饮食来逆转和预防致命疾病。
Michael Greger, the physician, best selling author, and speaker who advocates a plant based whole foods diet to reverse and prevent fatal disease and illness.
您毕业于康奈尔大学和塔夫茨大学医学院,您的《纽约时报》畅销书《如何不死》研究了美国15大死亡原因。
You're a graduate of Cornell University and the Tufts University School of Medicine and your New York Times best selling book, How Not to Die examines the 15 top causes of death in America.
您曾参与多部纪录片拍摄,包括《健康是什么》、《处方营养》和《吃活你》,您的网站nutritionfacts.org上有数千个视频,提供基于研究的特定食物与健康问题建议。
You've appeared in numerous documentary films including What the Health, Prescription Nutrition, and Eating You Alive, and your website nutritionfacts.org has thousands of videos giving research based advice about specific foods and health related issues.
博士。
Doctor.
格雷格医生,欢迎来到伦敦真实秀。
Gregor, welcome to London Real.
能来到这里我太兴奋了。
I'm so excited to be here.
能邀请到您我也很兴奋。
I am excited to have you.
在我们深入探讨这些精彩内容之前,我一直在想
I was wondering before we get into all this good stuff, and we got a lot to talk about.
当你即将降落在伦敦希思罗机场时,你在想:好吧,我要回去见英国同胞了
When you're about to land in London Heathrow, and you're thinking, okay, I'm going back to see the Brits.
在饮食方面,我们与美国人或第三世界国家相比,在全球排名如何?
How do we rank in the world when it comes to our diets compared to say the Yanks or third world countries or anything?
我们这边的情况怎么样?
How are we doing here?
根据全球疾病负担研究——这项由比尔及梅琳达·盖茨基金会资助的人类史上最大规模的疾病风险因素研究显示,与美国类似,英国人的首要致死致残因素正是英国人的饮食结构,美国的情况也完全相同。
Well, like The US, according to the Global Burden of Disease Study, which is the largest study of disease risk factors in human history, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the number one cause of death and disability among Britons is the British diet, and the same thing in The United States.
美式饮食已成为头号死亡原因,将烟草吸烟挤到了第二位。
The American diet, Number one cause of death, bumping tobacco smoking to number two.
如今香烟每年仅导致50万美国人死亡,而我们的饮食结构却夺走了数十万额外的生命。
Now cigarettes only kill a half million Americans every year, whereas our diet kills hundreds of thousands more.
所以当你想到缺乏运动、锻炼不足、吸烟等问题时,无论是在英国还是美国,这些因素的危害排名都低于饮食——但这其实是个好消息。
So when you think about, you know, physical inactivity, not getting enough exercise, smoking, all that ranks below diet both in The UK and in The US, but that's great news.
这意味着我们对自身的健康命运和寿命拥有极大的掌控力。
That means we have tremendous control over our health destiny and longevity.
绝大多数早逝和残疾都可以通过植物性饮食和其他健康生活方式来预防,这非常棒。
The vast majority of premature death and disability is preventable with a plant based diet and other healthy lifestyle behaviors, so that's great.
好的。
Okay.
那么大多数G20国家都面临着同样的问题。
And so most G20 countries are suffering from the same problem.
他们食物丰富,却做出了错误的选择。
They've got an abundance of foods, they're making the wrong choices.
通常情况就是这样吗?
That usually what's happening?
是的。
Yeah.
所以传染病,我是说,过去人们常死于传染病,回到一百年前对吧?
So infectious diseases, so I mean, said people used to die of infectious, you go back a hundred years ago, right?
主要致死原因是肺炎之类的疾病。
The leading cause of death are things like pneumonia.
那是在抗生素出现之前的情况。
That was before antibiotics.
现代医学在应对这类急性病症方面表现卓越。
So now and modern medicine is great with those kind of acute conditions.
若发生感染,抗生素就能治愈你。
You have an infection, antibiotics can cure you.
如果腿骨折了,我们可以进行复位。
You have a broken leg, so we can set it.
现在可以做各种精妙的手术。
There's all sorts of neat surgeries that you can do.
但对于慢性病,这些才是真正的瘟疫。
But for chronic disease, and that's really what's these are the plagues.
诸如糖尿病、肥胖症、心脏病和高血压这类流行病。
These are the kind of pandemics of diabetes and obesity and heart disease and hypertension.
这就是当前威胁我们生命的因素,遗憾的是,现代医学对此几乎束手无策,对吧?
That's what's killing us now, and unfortunately, medicine has little to offer, right?
我们只能稍微延缓糖尿病导致的死亡进程
We can kind of slow down the rate at which you die from diabetes.
我们可以延缓你失明的速度,延缓肾功能衰竭需要透析的时间,延缓下肢截肢的发生进程
We can slow down the rate at which you go blind, at which you lose your kidney function and go on dialysis, slow down the rate at which you, you know, get lower limb amputations.
但说到彻底治愈、预防疾病或逆转病情,主流医学确实无能为力,因为这些都属于生活方式病,对吧?
But in terms of stopping the disease, preventing the disease in the first place, or reversing the disease, unfortunately, mainstream medicine has very little to offer because these are lifestyle diseases, right?
确实可以用降压药人为降低血压来治疗症状,但为什么不从根源上治疗这些发炎受损的动脉呢?虽然吸烟也有影响,但主要还是饮食问题
So yeah, you can treat the symptoms, you can artificially lower people's blood pressures with blood pressure medications, but why not treat the cause in the first place, which is these inflamed crippled arteries, because primarily what reading, although certainly cigarette smoke plays a role too.
既然是生活方式导致的疾病,若想阻止和逆转病情,就不能继续食用那些致病食物
So, I mean, but lifestyle diseases, if that's what causes it, you can't eat the same foods that cause the disease if you expect to stop and reverse it.
但令人振奋的是,许多主要致死疾病
But that's the exciting thing, that many of the leading killers.
比如排名第二的心脏病,完全可以通过植物性饮食来预防、遏制甚至逆转
So here heart disease, the number two killer of preventable, arrestable, reversible with a plant based diet.
我们早就知道这一点。
And we've known this.
我是说,这很令人震惊,对吧?
I mean, this is the shocking, right?
《柳叶刀》——可能是全球最负盛名的医学期刊,1990年7月23日在英国发表了一篇论文,
So The Lancet, probably the most prestigious medical journal in the world, published here in The UK, 07/23/1990, published Doctor.
刊登了迪恩·奥尼什医生的'生活方式心脏试验'。
Dean Ornish's Lifestyle Heart Trial.
这项具有里程碑意义的研究首次通过定量血管造影技术证明,心脏病确实可以被逆转。
I mean, that was really the landmark trial that proved for the first time ever using something called quantitative angiography that indeed heart disease could be reversed.
动脉无需药物或手术就能疏通,仅需植物性饮食和生活方式调整。
Arteries opened up without drugs, without surgery, just a plant based diet and lifestyle program.
自那天起,本不该再有人因心脏病在这个或任何国家死去。
Since that day, no one else should have died in this or any other country from heart disease.
我们已掌握治愈方法,却仍有数十万人继续死于这种可预防、可控制、可逆转的疾病,对吧?
We had the cure, yet hundreds of thousands of people continue to die from this preventable, arrestable, reversible condition, right?
第11大致命杀手:二型糖尿病
Number 11 killer of type two diabetes.
第12大致命杀手:高血压
Number 12 killer of high blood pressure.
这些疾病仅通过饮食和生活方式的改变就能逆转、治愈
These are diseases that can be reversed, cured through diet and lifestyle changes alone.
那么为什么人们还在继续死亡?
So why do people continue to die?
我是说,人们应该感到不安,应该感到愤怒——等等,你是说我父亲本可以不用死?
I mean, people should be upset, should be angry, that wait a second, are you telling me my father didn't have to die?
他患有二型糖尿病,病情不断恶化、恶化、最终去世了,对吧?
He had type two diabetes got worse, worse, worse, and died, right?
不幸的是,医生们没有接受过营养学教育,对吧?
Unfortunately, doctors aren't taught nutrition, right?
医生们在教育中严重缺乏营养学知识。
Doctors suffer from a severe nutrition deficiency in education.
我们根本没学过这些,所以毕业时医学工具箱里就少了这件强大的工具。
We just weren't taught about this, and so we kind of graduate without this powerful tool in our medical toolbox.
正因如此,我才将使命定为走出去,向医生们展示他们拥有更广泛的工具选择,并直接面向患者。
And so that's why I've kind of made it my mission to get out there and show physicians that they have a broader array of tools and go directly to the patients themselves.
说到那些安全无副作用的简单方法——比如戒烟、健康饮食——你并不需要医生来告诉你该怎么做。
When it comes to safe side effect free simple solutions like stopping smoking, eat healthy, you don't need your doctor to tell you to do that.
你可以自己掌控人生和家人的健康。
You can, you know, take control of your own life and your family's health.
你确实肩负使命。
And you are on a mission.
就像这本书各章节的标题都非常直白简单。
And like the titles of the chapters of these book are are pretty plain and simple.
如何避免死于心脏病。
How not to die from heart disease.
如何避免死于肺病。
How not to die from lung disease.
如何避免死于脑部疾病
How not to die from brain diseases.
如何避免死于糖尿病
How not to die from diabetes.
这一切都是在倡导这种植物性饮食
And it's all about advocating this plant based diet.
是这样吗?
Is that correct?
噢,是植物性饮食和生活方式
Oh, plant based diet and lifestyle.
所以我谈到了锻炼、戒烟的重要性,谈到睡眠等其他方面,但毫无疑问,饮食是我们调节慢性病风险所能做的最有力的事情
So I talk about exercise, about the importance of smoking cessation, talk about, you know, sleep, other but certainly, diet is the number one most powerful thing we can do in terms of modulating our risk for chronic disease.
好的
Okay.
我放眼大西洋彼岸,美国人比以往任何时候都更肥胖,正走向死亡,却拥有比以往更多的信息和金钱
I look across the Atlantic, Americans more obese than ever, on their way to death, more information than ever, more money than ever.
为什么人们不听劝?
Why aren't people listening?
是因为他们最终不想被告诉该吃什么吗?
Is it because they ultimately don't want to be told what to eat?
他们不喜欢自己的享乐方式?
They don't like their pleasures?
还是他们只是缺乏教育?
Are they're just not educated?
到底是什么原因?
What is it?
因为你就像在对着墙壁撞头。
Because you're beating your head against a wall.
没错。
Right.
看起来头破血流,但你还在坚持。
It seems like it's bloody, but you're still doing it.
把你的信息传播出去。
Getting your message out there.
你认为最终是什么阻止人们接受这些改变?
What ultimately you think is it keeps people from from from just taking taking those changes?
对。
Right.
没错。
Right.
嗯,他们只是感到困惑。
Well, they're just confused.
他们不知道。
They don't know.
而行业希望保持这种状态。
And the industry wants it that way.
这是这是烟草行业的惯用伎俩。
This is a this is a standard tobacco industry tactic.
混淆视听,散播错误信息。
Muddy the water misinformation.
对吧?
Right?
就像这样,你知道的,今天说咖啡对你有益,明天又说咖啡有害。
Such that, you know, so one day coffee is good for you, one day coffee is bad for you.
你知道,《时代》杂志把‘黄油回归’放在封面,可见他们纸质版销量下滑得多绝望。
You know, Time magazine put butter is back on the cover, shows you how desperate they are for dwindling print sales.
对吧?
Right?
卖出了很多份,但却让公众失望了。
Sells a lot of copies, but sells the public short.
对吧?
Right?
所以人们喜欢听到关于坏习惯的好消息。
And so people love hearing good news about bad habits.
对吧?
Right?
如果有人出版一本饮食书籍,宣称西兰花对健康大有裨益。
If someone comes out with a diet book saying, you know, broccoli is really good for you.
这种书能卖出多少本?
How many books is that gonna sell?
是不是?
Right?
但要是有人说培根和黄油其实很健康。
Someone comes out and says, bacon and butter is really good for you.
那绝对能登上畅销榜,你懂的。
That's you got a best seller on I mean, you know.
媒体就爱炒作这类故事。
And so and the media loves those kind of stories.
对吧?
Right?
我是说,这些相互矛盾的观点让加工食品行业成为了一个价值万亿美元的产业。
I mean and so there's just these conflicting and so the the processed food industry was a trillion dollar industry.
你知道,他们就希望把人们搞糊涂,这样大家就会放弃思考,随便吃面前摆的任何东西。
You know, they just hope to confuse people, so they'll throw up their hands and eat whatever's put in front of them.
这对生意是好事,但对人们的健康可不太好。
I mean, that's good for business, but not so good for people.
而如果你看看科学研究,就会发现关于健康生活方式的核心要素,全球科学界几十年来一直有着惊人的共识。
Whereas, if you look at the science, there's remarkable global scientific consensus as to the core elements of healthy living going back decades.
我的意思是,科学记录本身并不混乱,只是当这些商业利益集团将其传播给公众时,信息在传递过程中被扭曲了。
So I mean, the the scientific record isn't confused just the way it's translated out to the public by these money commercial interests that the the message is lost along the way.
这是这些行业的阴谋吗?
Is it a conspiracy by these industries?
还是他们仅仅出于自身利益考虑,因为他们只想最大化利润?
Or are they just weren't looking in their best interest because they're just trying to maximize profits?
这是否只是体制运作方式的表现?
Is it that that that's just the way the symptom works.
我是说,可口可乐的CEO不会说'我今天要怎么让孩子们变胖'
I mean, the the CEO of Coca Cola doesn't say, how do I make kids fat today?
对吧?
Right?
就像,不会的
It's like, no.
而是'我这季度要怎么让股东们高兴'
It's how do I make my shareholders happy in this quarter.
对吧?
Right?
为股东们创造短期利润
Short term profits for shareholders.
对吧?
Right?
即使那位CEO说'你知道,我很关心我的孩子们'
Even if that CEO said, you know, I care about my kids.
我不能再这样下去了。
I'm not gonna do this anymore.
他们会被赶走的。
They'd be kicked out.
我是说,这就是公司的全部目的,最大化,你知道的,为股东创造回报。
I mean, that's the whole purpose of a corporation, maximize, you know, return for their shareholders.
你该怎么做呢?
How do you do that?
好吧。
Okay.
你可以用极其廉价的原料来制作。
Well, you take something with dirt cheap ingredients.
对吧?
Right?
就是糖水。
It's sugar water.
事实上,这些糖是由美国纳税人补贴的。
In fact, sugar that's subsidized by US taxpayers in The States.
对吧?
Right?
所以这是人为压低的糖价,然后呢?
So it's artificially cheap sugar, and it's what?
所以呢?
So it's what?
花几分钱成本生产,然后每瓶卖几块钱?
A few pennies to make, and then you sell for a few bucks a bottle?
这就是赚钱之道。
That's how you make money.
对吧?
Right?
但像农产品、水果蔬菜这类东西,它们是易腐的。
But something like produce, fruits and vegetables, it's perishable.
它会变质。
It goes bad.
会在货架上腐烂。
It rots on the shelf.
你买的奶油夹心蛋糕可以在货架上放好几周。
You bought a Twinkie, it can be on the shelf for a couple of weeks.
但是,我是说,你赚不到钱。
But but, I mean, you can't make money.
这不是品牌产品。
It's not a branded product.
没有溢价空间。
There's no markup.
所以这个体系下,最健康的食物反而让公司靠卖垃圾食品获利。
So the healthiest food the system is just set up to reward companies selling people junk.
不幸的是,甚至在政府层面,我们还在补贴最不健康的食品。
And unfortunately and even the in the government level, we're subsidizing the worst foods.
我们在补贴糖业。
We're subsidizing sugar.
补贴饲料作物,所以我们才能吃到一元菜单上的汉堡。
Subsiding feed crops, so we can have dollar menu burgers.
然而,为什么我们不补贴水果和蔬菜呢?
Whereas, why aren't we subsidizing fruits and vegetables?
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,不幸的是,这个系统...所以我们需要掌控自己的生活,掌控家人的健康,真正地把它夺回来。
I mean, so unfortunately, the system so that's why we need to take control over our lives, over our family's health, and really kinda take it back.
信息就在那里,但不幸地迷失在商业影响的迷雾中。
So the information is there, but unfortunately lost in this cloud of commercial influence.
跟我聊聊迈克尔·格雷格的生活吧。
Talk to me about the life of Michael Greger.
你就像个独行侠,四处奔走,不断宣讲这个理念——你已经坚持了近二十年,尽管你之前告诉过我,但你依然在路上奔波。
You are kind of a one man crusader, going around, Constantly speaking on this you've been doing this for what near twenty years And you're constantly on the road even though you told me earlier.
我讨厌旅行,但你依然坚持这样做,拒绝接受赞助,你有那个.org网站,一切都是为了免费信息。当然。
I hate travel But you're still doing this refuse to accept sponsorships you have the site.org It's all about free information Sure.
哇。
Wow.
是什么让这个男人如此执着,你又是为什么
What makes this man tick and why are you
要做这些?
doing this?
对。
Right.
没错。
Right.
是的。
Right.
没有广告,没有商业宣传,没有企业赞助,严格非商业性质,不售卖任何东西。
There's no ads, no commercials, no corporate sponsors, strictly not commercial, not selling anything.
纯粹作为一项公共服务。
Just put up as a public service.
这算是一种爱的劳动,我这么做是为了纪念我的祖母,她的生命是通过循证营养学挽救的。
It's kind of a labor of love and I do it as a tribute to my grandmother whose own life was saved through evidence based nutrition.
我是说,在我小时候,我的祖母弗朗西丝·格雷格被诊断出患有晚期心脏病。
So I mean, when I was a kid growing up, my grandmother, Frances Greger, was diagnosed with end stage heart disease.
她已经做过多次搭桥手术,血管基本上都用完了,医生们束手无策,对吧?
She already had so many bypass surgeries, she basically ran out of plumbing at some point, nothing more they could do, right?
好不容易找到轮椅时,她已胸口剧痛,生命垂危。
Could find a wheelchair, crushing chest pain, her life was over.
她那时多大年纪?
How old was she at this point?
65岁。
Age 65.
65岁,天啊。
65, wow.
65岁,
Age 65,
好吧,对于生命来说还挺年轻的。
Okay, for life or pretty young.
然后她听说了这个人,内森·普里特金,我们早期生活方式医学的先驱之一。
Then shared about this guy, Nathan Pritikin, one of our early lifestyle medicine pioneers.
接下来发生的事情其实在普里特金的传记《治愈美国心脏的人》中有详细记载。
And what happened next is actually detailed in Pritikin's biography called Man Who Healed America's Heart.
书中提到了那些像弗朗西斯·格雷格一样濒临死亡的人。
And it talks about the death's door people that showed up like Francis Greger.
书中提到一位坐着轮椅到来的朋友。
It talks about a friend who arrived in a wheelchair.
她患有心绞痛和间歇性跛行,胸部和腿部的剧痛让她无法行走。
She had angina, claudicates, she couldn't walk without great pain in her chest and legs.
然而不到三周,她不仅摆脱了轮椅,还能每天步行10英里。
Within three weeks though, she was not only out of her wheelchair, she was walking 10 miles a day.
她是他的早期成功案例之一,对吧?这是一个住宿项目,让人们采用植物性饮食和渐进式运动计划。
She was one of his great early success stories, right, where it's a live in program that put people on a plant based diet, a graded exercise program.
她能够重新行走,多亏了健康饮食,尽管她在65岁时被宣判了医学上的死刑。
She was up walking around, and thanks to a healthy diet she was given her medical death sentence at age 65.
多亏了健康饮食,她得以在地球上又享受了31年的时光,直到96岁,享受包括我在内的六个孙辈的陪伴。
Thanks to a healthy diet, was able to enjoy another thirty one years on this planet till age 96 to enjoy her six grandkids including me.
这就是我学医的原因,也是我今天实践这种医学——生活方式医学的原因。
That's why I went to medicine and that's why I practice the type of medicine I practice today, lifestyle medicine.
就是这样。
That was it.
你看到奶奶康复了,然后你想,这怎么可能发生?
You saw grandma get better and you were like, how can this happen?
我的意思是,当时我只是想当然地认为,去看医生就会好起来。
I mean, at the time, I just assumed, well, you go to your doctor and you get better.
我是说,这就像,哦,好吧,就这样。
I mean, that's just I mean, it was just like, oh, yeah, okay.
我是说,我当时没意识到这有多激进。
I mean, it didn't occur to me how radical that was.
那时候,他们甚至不认为心脏病是可逆的,根本不可能。
At that time, they didn't even think heart disease was reversible, period.
他们认为这只是通向死亡的不可阻挡的螺旋。
They thought it was just this inexorable spiral to death.
但普里特金在70年代就证明,不,这种疾病是可以逆转的。
But Pritikin was showing back in the 70s that, no, this disease could be reversed.
这是生活方式病,病因在此,改变生活方式,就有希望。
It's a lifestyle disease, that's what causes it, changes the lifestyle, now the hope.
那么普里特金是从哪些群体得到这个想法的呢?
So there were populations where Pritikin get this idea from, right?
世界各地都有这样的群体。
Well, there were populations around the world.
例如在非洲农村,那里有一个由英国医生建立的教会医院网络。
For example, in rural Africa, there's a network of missionary hospitals set up through actually UK physicians, like Doctor.
丹尼斯·伯基特是二十世纪最杰出的医学人物之一,他南下建立了这个传教士医院网络,他们接诊了数百万人,但这些人群并未罹患心脏病。
Dennis Burkett, who was one of the most preeminent medical figures of the twentieth century, who went down, started this network of missionary hospitals, and they were seeing millions of people, and they did not suffer from heart disease.
所以他们根本看不到任何心脏病病例。
So they didn't see any heart disease.
他们看不到结肠癌。
They didn't see colon cancer.
他们看不到乳腺癌。
They didn't see breast cancer.
我的意思是——而这些是受过西方训练的医生,并非不知道如何诊断这些疾病。
They didn't see I mean, whereas and these were Western trained doctors, not like they didn't know what to look for.
他们唯一遇到的病例,你知道,就是那些外来者之类的。这是在他们的饮食尚未西化之前的情况。
I mean, the only people they saw is, you know, if they had some foreigner there and all, you know, This is before they had westernized their diet.
我们在中国农村也观察到同样现象,比如人们食用这些植物性饮食。你说中国农村和非洲农村的共同点是什么?虽然饮食结构差异很大,但日常都以植物性食物为主,肉类只在特殊场合食用。
Same thing we saw in rural China, for example, where people eating these plant based diets, and you say rural China, rural Africa, what's the common Venn diagram, very different diets, is that they were plant based on a day to day basis with meat only eaten on special occasions.
等等,我们怎么确定是饮食中的植物性成分起到了关键作用?
So wait a second, how do we know it was the plant based nature of their diets that was so effective?
因为在西方世界,只有那些坚持纯植物性饮食的人才会如此低概率地患上这些慢性疾病。
Because in the Western world, the only folks with such low rates of these chronic diseases are those eating these strictly plant based diets.
因此你可以在健康饮食者中看到同样的低胆固醇水平和低血压现象。
So you can see the same kind of cholesterol, low cholesterol levels and low blood pressures among those eating healthy.
所以我们的希望是:让心脏病患者采用与那些不患心脏病人群相同的植物性饮食,或许能延缓甚至阻止病情发展。
So the hope was let's take people with heart disease, put them on the same kind of plant based diet followed by populations that do not get heart disease and hope maybe we can slow the disease down, perhaps even stop it.
但结果却发生了奇迹般的变化。
But instead, something miraculous happened.
当人们停止食用堵塞动脉的饮食后,他们的身体就能开始溶解部分斑块,无需药物或手术就能疏通血管——这表明他们的身体本就渴望健康,只是从未获得机会。
As soon as people stopped eating artery clogging diets, their bodies were able to start dissolving some of that plaque away, opening up arteries without drugs, without surgery, suggesting their bodies want to be healthy all along, but were just never given the chance.
所以这些病症真的可以逆转?
So you can actually reverse this stuff?
听着,医学文献中甚至有个关于'科学界最佳保密真相'的讨论...
I mean, this is look, if you I mean, that it's like I talk about there's actually a a a in the medical literature talking about the best kept secret in science.
什么是医学?
What's medicine?
医学界最保守的秘密是什么?
What's the best kept secret in medicine?
那就是在某些情况下,身体能够自我修复。
It's that sometimes the body, under the right conditions, can heal itself.
你看,如果你不小心狠狠撞到咖啡桌之类的东西,小腿会发红、发热、疼痛、肿胀发炎,但只要不去管它,血液就会自然愈合,让身体发挥它的神奇作用,对吧?
You know, if you, you know, whack your shin really hard in a coffee table or something, right, you can get all red, hot, painful, swollen, inflamed blood will heal naturally if you just stand back and let your body work its magic, right?
好吧。
Okay.
但如果你日复一日地撞击同一个部位会怎样?
What if you whack your shin in the same place day after day?
事实上,一天三次,早中晚餐都这样,对吧?
In fact, three times a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, right?
伤口永远无法愈合,你就会去看医生,说'哎呀,我小腿疼'。
You'd never heal, You'd go to your doctor and be like, Oh, my shin hurts.
医生会说'没问题'。
The doctor will be like, No problem.
迅速掏出他们的处方笺。
Whip out their pad.
给你开个止痛药的处方。
Write your prescription for painkillers.
你依然每天三次撞击小腿,疼得要命,但哦,感觉好多了。
You're still whacking your shin three times a day, still really hurts like heck, but, oh, it feels so much better.
那些止痛药在起作用。
Those pain pills on board.
感谢现代医学,对吧?
Thank heavens for modern medicine, right?
就像人们用硝酸甘油缓解剧烈胸痛那样,对吧?
It's like when people take nitroglycerin for crushing chest pain, right?
虽然能极大缓解症状,但你并没有治疗疾病的根本原因。
Tremendous relief, but you're not doing anything to treat the underlying cause of the disease.
如果我们允许,身体会自然恢复健康,但若每天三次反复伤害自己,可能永远无法痊愈。
Our body wants to come back to health if we let it, but if we keep re damaging ourselves three times a day, we may never heal.
你知道,这就像吸烟一样。
You know, it's like smoking.
你知道吗,在我所有的医学培训中学到的最令人惊叹的事情之一就是,戒烟大约十五年后,你的肺癌风险会接近终身不吸烟者的水平。
You know, one of the most amazing things I learned in all my medical training was that within about fifteen years of stopping smoking, your lung cancer approaches that of a lifelong nonsmoker.
十五年你的 不是
Fifteen years your Isn't
这难道不神奇吗?
that amazing?
你的肺部会自我清洁。
Your lungs get cleaned out.
是啊。
Yeah.
你的肺...你的肺部可以清除所有那些焦油,最终几乎就像你从未吸过烟一样。
Your lung your lungs can clear out all that tar and eventually, it's almost as if you never started smoking at all.
而我们吸烟生活的每个早晨,那种愈合过程刚开始就被当天的香烟打断,每一口都在重新伤害我们的肺部,就像我们每一口食物都可能重新伤害动脉一样——其实我们一直需要的奇迹疗法就是放手不管,对吧?
And every morning of our smoking life, that healing process started to wham for a cigarette of the day, re injuring our lungs with every puff just like we can re injure our arteries with every bite, when all we had to do all along the miracle cure is just stand back, right?
让我们的身体,你知道的,不要阻碍它,让我们身体自然的愈合过程带我们回归健康。
Let our bodies, you know, get out of the way, let our bodies' natural healing processes bring us back towards health.
人体是一台自我修复的机器。
The human body is a self healing machine.
当然,你可以选择适度,用小锤子敲打自己,但何必自讨苦吃呢?
Sure, you can choose moderation and hit yourself with a smaller hammer, but why beat yourself up at all?
跟我谈谈你看到的烟草与美国五六十年代、七十年代经历的那场危机与饮食之间的相似之处。
Talk to me about the parallels you see between tobacco and this whole, you know, crisis we went through in the fifties, sixties, seventies in America and diet.
我的意思是,五十年后我们回顾这段历史时,会不会说这只是饮食领域类似的认知缺失?
I mean, are we gonna look back at this in fifty years and say, this is just a similar lack of knowledge when it comes to diet?
对。
Right.
所以相似之处不在于缺乏知识,而是知识就在那里,只是没人知道。
So the parallel is not that there was a lack of knowledge, but the knowledge was there, but just no one knew about it.
对吧?
Right?
早在上世纪三十年代就有数十年的坚实科学研究将肺癌与吸烟联系起来。
And so there were decades of solid science starting back in the thirties, linking lung cancer and smoking.
事实上,真正将这一切串联起来的关键论文是那位英国医生的研究,就是Doll和Peyto的研究。
In fact, actually, the seminal paper that put it all together was this British doctor's study, right, with Doll and Peyto.
正是他们最终一锤定音地证实了这个关联。
They were the ones that actually finally clinched the deal.
所以正是这类流行病学研究证明了这一点,比如1958年加州有个关于基督复临安息日会信徒的研究论文显示,非吸烟者患肺癌的几率比吸烟者低百分之九十。
So it was this kind of epidemiological study that proved this, you know so, you know, for 1958, there's a paper, an Adventist study out of California showing nonsmokers ninety percent less lung cancer than smokers.
对吧?
All right?
但当时没人知道这些,因为那时信息还没有民主化。
But no one knew about it because back then there wasn't this democratization of information.
你没法上网查证,对吧?
You couldn't go on the internet, right?
如果行业能控制医生,他们就能控制信息传播,对吗?
If the industry could control the doctors, they could control the message, right?
因此,美国医学会(AMA)竟然公开宣称吸烟有益健康——不是无害,而是确实对健康有益。
And so the AMA, the American Medical Association, actually went on record saying smoking was good for you, not neutral, but actually good for you, beneficial for your health.
当1964年卫生局长发布著名的反吸烟报告时,美国医学会竟然公开表示反对,拒绝支持卫生局长的报告。
When the Surgeon General came out with a famous report against smoking in 1964, the AMA actually came out opposed, actually refused to endorse the Surgeon General's report.
为什么?
Why?
难道是因为他们刚拿到烟草行业1000万美元的支票?
Have been because they were just handed a $10,000,000 check from the tobacco industry?
也许吧。
Maybe.
这真的发生过吗?
Did that actually happen?
这确实发生过。
That actually happened.
所以我们知道为什么美国医学会会巴结烟草行业,但为什么没有更多医生站出来发声?
So we know why the AMA was sucking up to the tobacco industry, but why weren't more individual doctors speaking up?
确实有少数先驱者敢于站出来反对那些导致数百万人死亡的行业,但为什么更多人没有这样做呢?
Well, were a few ahead of their time speaking up against industries, killing millions, but why not more?
或许是因为当时大多数医生自己也吸烟,就像如今大多数医生仍在食用那些助长饮食相关疾病流行的食物一样。
Maybe it's because the majority of physicians themselves smoked, just like the majority of physicians today continue to eat foods that are contributing to our epidemics of dietary disease.
当时美国医学会的口号是什么?
What was the AMA's rallying cry back then?
「凡事适度」。
Everything in moderation.
他们声称大量科学研究证明适度吸烟——
They said extensive scientific studies have proven smoking in moderation.
哦,那没关系。
Oh, that's fine.
听起来耳熟吗?
Sound familiar?
食品牙科学同样在歪曲科学事实,散布错误信息。
Food dentistry used the same misinformation twisting the science.
那些被雇佣来淡化二手烟和有毒化学品风险的科学家,同样被国家糖果协会雇佣来淡化糖果的风险,被肉类行业雇佣来淡化肉类的风险。
The same scientists for hire that downplay the risk of secondhand smoke and toxic chemicals are the same hired by the National Confectioners Association to downplay the risk of candy, same hired by the meat industry to downplay the risk of meat.
但我们现有的最佳估计是,加工食品和所有食品每年至少导致一千四百万人死亡。
But the best estimates we have is that processed foods and all foods contribute to at least fourteen million deaths every year.
因此,我们这些参与这场基于证据的营养革命的人,每年都在谈论关乎一千四百万生命的平衡问题。
So those of us involved in this evidence based nutrition revolution are talking about fourteen million lives in the balance every year.
如果我应该吃植物性饮食,为什么牛奶、鸡蛋、红肉和鸡肉尝起来这么美味?
If I'm supposed to eat a plant based diet, how come milk and eggs and red meat and chicken taste so good?
嗯,你看。
Well, look.
我是说,食品行业,为什么糖果尝起来这么美味?
I mean, the food industry, why does candy taste so good?
为什么棉花糖尝起来这么美味?
Why does cotton candy taste so good?
嗯,你看,如果尝起来这么美味,那肯定对我有好处。
Well, look, it must be good for me if it tastes so good.
我是说,食品工业已经找到方法某种程度上颠覆了你的自然生理驱动。
I mean, the industry has found a way to kind of subvert your natural biological drive.
所以如果你回溯几百万年前,我们基本上是在饥荒状态下进化的。
So if you go back a few million years, we basically evolved in a state of famine.
我是说,在冬季月份,对吧,在农业出现之前,没有太多食物储备,我们无法储存谷物。
I mean, during the winter months, right, there's not a lot not a lot this before agriculture, we couldn't store up grain.
对吧?
Right?
所以我们进化出了这种对甜味和脂肪永不满足的味觉偏好,因为这些是热量的来源。
So we evolved and so that's why we evolved this insatiable taste for sweet, right, and for fatty, right, because that's where the calories are.
热量,对吧?
The calories, right?
浓缩的热量。
Concentrated calories.
浓缩的热量,还有盐分,对吧?
Concentrated calories, and and salt, right?
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
那时候可没有盐瓶,对吧?
There was no salt shakers, right?
大草原上也不可能有薯片这种东西,对吧?
There was no, you know, potato chips out in the savannah, right?
所以我们极度渴求盐、糖和脂肪这些物质。
And so we had this desperate need for salt, sugar, fat, and so those are natural biological drives.
所以那时候,嗯,没错。
So back then, oh, yeah.
哦,你知道,我们对甜味的渴望让我们从灌木丛中摘食大量蓝莓。
Oh, the you know, our sweet sensation made us eat a lot of blueberries off the bush.
对吧?
Right?
这对我们的生存是有益的。
That was a good thing for our bites.
但现在,我们并不处于热量匮乏的状态。
But now, right, now we're not in a state of of caloric deficiency.
对吧?
Right?
事实上,在大多数工业化国家,我们摄入的卡路里实际上太多了。
In fact, in most of the, you know, industrialized world, we actually get too many calories.
现在的问题是,食品工业利用这些同样的生理需求,反过来对付我们。
Now it's a matter the industry has taken those same drives, turned it against us.
哦,你喜欢甜食?
Oh, you like sweet?
来点汽水怎么样?
How about some soda pop?
哦,你喜欢咸的?
Oh, you like salty?
来点薯片怎么样?
How about some chips?
哦,你喜欢,你知道的,高脂肪食物?
Oh, you like, you know, fatty?
要知道,在以前这是一种生存机制。
Well, you know and so before, it was a survival mechanism.
敲开骨头、搜寻脑髓和骨髓,这些行为让我们活到生育年龄得以传递基因。
You know, cracking open bones and scavenging for brains and bone marrow, that got us to the that got us to just a reproductive age to pass along our genes.
对吧?
Right?
现在呢?
Now right?
事实上,如果你用时光机空投些奶油夹心蛋糕到那个年代,那些尼安德特人——奶油蛋糕尼安德特人——就会征服其他所有人。
In fact, you could have if you air time machine airdropped some Twinkies back then, those Neanderthals the Twinkie Neanderthals would go and conquer everybody else.
当时是热量匮乏的时代,不择手段获取热量,明白吗?
It was calorie deficiency, calories through any means necessary, right?
但现在我们不仅仅想活到生育年龄,对吧?
But now we don't just want to live the reproductive age, right?
现在我们活得足够久,反而开始遭受慢性病的折磨。而那些高脂高盐食品正在损害我们的健康——当然这些正是热销商品。
Now we live old enough to actually start suffering from chronic diseases, And chronic diseases, well, then, you know, those fatty foods, those salty foods are working against us, but of course that's what sells.
好消息是,所以我在说什么?
The good news is so am I saying what?
哦,所以我不吃健康食品,就什么都尝不出好味道了?
Oh, so I'm not eating healthy, nothing's going to taste good?
一开始确实是这样。
At first, that's true.
对吧?
Right?
我是说,世界上最熟的桃子,在你吃了一碗水果麦圈后也会尝起来酸酸的。
I mean, so the the ripest peach in the world will taste sour after a bowl of Froot Loops.
我是说,这只是因为你的味蕾被过度刺激了。
I mean, it'll just because your your taste buds are just overwhelmed.
对吧?
Right?
你突然开始低盐饮食,医生让你吃低盐食物,第一周所有东西吃起来都像纸板,对吧?
You all of sudden go on a low salt diet, your doctor puts you on a low salt diet, everything for the first week tastes like cardboard, right?
但你的研究表明,可以进行这类代谢病房研究,把人们关在房间里,实际上严格控制他们的饮食摄入。
But what you show I mean, you can do these kind of metabolic ward studies, lock people in a room, actually, you know, very tightly control what people eat.
你让人们按自己口味给汤加盐,测量他们加了多少盐,然后让他们进行低盐饮食,几周后他们反而更喜欢少盐的口味。
So you have people salt soup to their liking and you measure how much salt they put in, and then you put them on a low salt diet and a few weeks later they actually prefer less salt.
于是你给他们原本觉得最美味的汤,他们会觉得‘太咸了’。
And so you give them the soup that originally tasted the best, Oh, it's too salty.
你不喜欢了,对吧?
You don't like it, right?
所以你的味蕾会自然适应。
And so your taste buds naturally evolve.
事实上,对于糖分,这种适应最快五天就能发生。
In fact, with sugar, it can happen as few as five days.
只要五天不吃这些超甜食物。
You cut out these super sweet foods within five days.
而且,完整健康的食物也会变得美味起来。
Also, whole healthy foods taste good.
我是说,人们看到我吃一个烤红薯,上面撒了点肉桂粉,他们就会说,哦,我永远过不了那种精致生活。
I mean, people see me eat a sweet potato, baked sweet potato with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top and they're like, Oh, I can never live that kind of aesthetic life.
但他们没意识到,不,那对我来说其实很好吃。
But they don't realize, no, that actually tastes good to me.
对吧。
Right.
只要五天不吃糖,对他们来说也会变得美味的。
And in five days of not eating candy bars, it would actually taste good to them too.
其实我是真心享受的。
I mean, actually, I enjoy it.
所以你两全其美。
So you get the best of both worlds.
等一下。
Wait a second.
既美味又能活得更久。
It tastes good and you get to live longer.
对吧?
Right?
但你必须给它一个机会,让味蕾从那些试图过度刺激它们的工业产品中恢复过来。
But you gotta give it a chance to to to to take back your taste buds from the industry that's trying to kind of supersaturate them.
好的。
Okay.
你是一直完全素食,还是曾经觉得也许吃点鱼类蛋白质或野禽蛋白质也可以?
Were you always completely plant based or at one point did you ever say, maybe some fish protein is okay or maybe some game bird protein is okay.
你知道有没有那么一段时间,你会觉得‘嗯,这样或许可行’或者‘哦’——
You know was there any a time where you were like, ah, this might work or you Oh,
听着,生日或节日特殊场合吃什么并不重要。
look, it doesn't matter what you eat on your birthday or holiday special occasion.
真正累积影响的是日常饮食,对吧?
It's just the day to day stuff that really adds up, right?
就像撞到小腿的比喻一样,明白吗?
It's just like the whack your shin analogy, right?
你的身体拥有惊人的自愈能力。
Your body has this remarkable capacity to heal.
但如果你每天用叉子戳它三次,它就没有机会愈合了,对吧?
It's just when you jab it with a fork three times a day every day and it just doesn't have the chance to heal, right?
我是说,世界上没有任何科学能证明那些社交吸烟者——确实有些人一年只在聚会上抽几支烟,却从未上瘾——没人能说一年抽几支烟会显著增加终生肺癌风险。
I mean, there's no science in the world that you can show me that suggests that social smokers these people, there are some people, they can pick up a few cigarettes at a party a year, right, and they never get hooked, no one's going to tell me that a few cigarettes a year is going to have any, you know, measurable increase in lung cancer risk, right, over a lifetime.
但医生之所以建议完全戒烟,是因为他们担心一支烟会变成两支,然后发展成每天一包的习惯。
But the reason a doctor says no smoking at all is they're afraid that one cigarette's going turn to two, then it's going to turn to a pack a day habit.
所以我们直接告诉人们彻底不要吸烟。
So we just tell people no smoking at all.
但这其实是基于一个认知:问题不在于那一支烟本身。
But that's out of a recognition that it's not the one cigarette that's going to do it.
对吧?
Right?
所以道理是一样的。
And so the same thing.
对吧?
Right?
我是说,虽然如此,但在日常生活中我们真的应该努力吃得更健康些。
I mean, so so but on a day to day basis, we really should try to eat healthier.
我小时候并没有这样的意识,你看,我亲眼目睹了我祖母身上发生的惊人转变。
Now, I didn't grow up so, you know, here I was as a kid seeing my this this remarkable transformation from my grandmother.
你在哪里长大的?
Where'd grow up?
嗯,我出生在迈阿密。
Well, so born in Miami.
好的。
Okay.
后来在西部长大,搬过几次家。
Then grew up out out West, moved around.
好的。
Okay.
有时候会带点南方口音。
It's like a little southern accent sometimes.
哦,真的吗?
Oh, really?
没有。
No.
嗯,我不太明显,我妈妈是布鲁克林人。
Well, I don't so my mom was Brooklyn.
好吧。
Okay.
爸爸是皇后区的。
Dad was Queens.
所以要说有什么口音的话,可能我有点
And so if anything, maybe I got a
轻微
little in
事实上,我刚用布鲁克林口音说话。
fact, I just spoke in Brooklyn.
回去看看真好,我还展示了我妈妈的照片。
It's so nice to go back and I showed pictures of my mom.
她是布鲁克林核心成员,属于种族平等大会,这些照片记录了她民权运动期间被拖走逮捕的场景。
She was part of Brooklyn core, the congress on racial equality and all these pictures of her getting dragged away and arrested during the civil rights movement.
是个家族传统。
Was a family family.
不是。
No.
不是。
No.
对吧?
Right?
我想我们就是那种使命感驱动的人吧。
We are just kind of mission driven folks, I guess.
我是说,我们就是看到不公正的事情。
I mean, we're we just see an injustice.
对吧?
Right?
我们想要改善这种情况。
And we wanna make it better.
好的。
Okay.
所以你是说你从小就没有这个'不'字。
And so you say you grew up not having this no.
所以对我来说,就像是,哦,对。
So so I mean, for me, it was like, oh, yeah.
奶奶必须那样吃因为她生病了。
Grandma has to eat that way because she's sick.
是的。
Yeah.
这是一种治疗疾病的方法。
It's a treatment for sickness.
我年轻又健康。
I'm young and healthy.
我不需要治病。
I don't need a treatment for sick.
对吧?
Right?
只是当时没有意识到。
It was just and not realizing.
直到90年代奥尼什的论文发表,证明可以逆转心脏病——在美国这是男性和女性的头号杀手。
So it really wasn't until '90 when Ornish's paper came out showing the way you can reverse heart disease, which in The States is the number one killer of men and women.
在英国这是第二大杀手。所以男性和女性的头号杀手是可以逆转的。
Here, in The UK, it's the number two killer of So the number one killer of men and women can be reversed.
我当时就想,好吧,就这么定了。
I was like, All right, that's it.
我是说,我的家人亲眼见证了这一切,而现在它被白纸黑字地发表在了世界上最负盛名的医学期刊上。
I mean, my family had seen it with their own eyes, but here it was, published in black and white some of the most prestigious medical journals in the world.
当时的证据简直压倒性地让我无法忽视,于是我自己也开始这样饮食。
Like, the evidence at that point was just overwhelming that I couldn't ignore it, and so then started myself eating that way.
然后我意识到,哦,我本该一直这样吃的,只是之前没想通——啊,原来如此。
And with the recognition, Oh, I should have been eating this way all along, but it just didn't kind of click that, Oh, yeah, duh.
如果纯植物饮食能做到的仅仅是逆转人类头号或二号杀手,那它难道不该成为默认饮食方式吗?除非能证明其他饮食更好?
I mean, if that's all a plant based diet could do, reverse the number one or two killer of men and women, shouldn't that kind of be the default diet to prove otherwise?
而事实上它还能预防、逆转其他主要杀手,比如二型糖尿病和高血压,这让植物性饮食的优势简直不言而喻。
And the fact that it could also prevent arrest and reverse other leading killers like type two diabetes and high blood pressure, would seem to make the case for plant based eating simply overwhelming.
你今天吃了什么?
What'd you eat today?
天啊。
Oh my God.
其实吃得特别好。
I actually ate really good.
所以在路上不太方便。
So on the road, it's not so easy.
我发现自己身处机场美食广场,你知道的,那里没什么可吃的。
I find myself on an airport food court and, you know, there's there's not much to eat.
所以但是
So but
因为到处都是动物蛋白。
Because there's animal proteins everywhere.
我是说,都是加工食品。
I mean, it's just processed.
不过没有。
But no.
我们在希思罗机场住的酒店有提供素食早餐。
In the the hotel that we stayed in by by Heathrow here had a vegetarian breakfast thing.
英国的早餐是我推荐每个人都要吃的。uin
And and breakfast in The UK is what I tell everyone to eat.
早餐吃豆子。
Beans for breakfast.
我吃了豆子、番茄和蘑菇,算是传统英式早餐,只是没有香肠,没有加工肉制品。
I had beans and tomatoes and mushrooms, kind of traditional kind of British breakfast just without the sausage, without the processed meat.
实际上我告诉所有人,我鼓励大家一天吃三次豆类——豆子、裂豌豆、鹰嘴豆和小扁豆。
But I in fact, I tell everyone, you know, so I encourage people to eat legumes, beans, split peas, chickpeas, lentils three times a day.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
所以我说,早餐吃豆子怎么样?
And so I say, beans for breakfast?
像英国人那样吃。
Eat like the Brits.
你听到我说的了吗?
So you hear me?
我说早餐要像吃豆子那样吃,但在日本,他们有味噌汤,还有米糕。
I say, eat like the beans for breakfast, but does that you know, in in Japan, they have miso soup, and they have idli.
还有在印度
And in India.
我是说,早餐吃豆类并不算太奇怪
I mean, having legumes for breakfast is not so crazy.
在美国,早餐吃豆子?你在说什么呢?
In The US, like beans for breakfast, what are you talking about?
但在这里我可以吃
But so here I can eat.
我终于可以遵循自己的建议,像英国人那样吃早餐了
I can finally follow my own advice and eat like a Brit.
好的
Okay.
是啊
So yeah.
所以早餐很棒,然后是午餐
So a great a great breakfast and then lunch.
我来这里面试时,一边等待一边掏出手机查找一英里范围内的餐厅。
So I come here for the interview and and just pull out my phone and look for restaurants within the, like, one mile radius while I'm waiting around.
唰地一下,就出现了两家店。
And poof, two places show up.
一家叫'救赎'的餐厅,提供全植物性有机食品。
One, this restaurant called Redemption, whole food plant based.
实际上他们门口还挂着标识,写着'无糖、植物基'之类的宣传语。
In fact, there's a sign out front that says, you know, sugar free, plant based, you know, goes on it.
自由,自由,自由,自由。
Free, free, free, free.
那我们提供什么?
So what do we serve?
比如问号。
Like question mark.
比如这里面有什么?
Like what's in this?
就是那个吗?
Is that what it's
对,差不多就是那样。
It's just like what yeah.
不过当然不是啦。
Like But no, of course.
我刚吃了道超棒的菜,里面有紫薯、蘑菇、绿叶菜、黄菜花、黑芝麻,还配了花生酱。
It's just so I had this amazing dish with purple sweet potatoes and mushrooms and and greens and and and this yellow cauliflower and black sesame seeds and a peanut sauce.
简直好吃到爆。
It was absolutely fantastic.
完全符合我所有的饮食标准。
And so every checked off all my boxes.
我用过这个免费应用——格雷格医生的'每日十二项',安卓和苹果都能用,里面列出了我推荐大家每天摄入的各种食物分量。
I had this free app, doctor Gregor's Daily Dozen, where I on Android and iPhone, everything, of course, is free, where, you know, it includes, you know, how many servings of all the foods I encourage people to get into their daily diet.
比如每天要吃的豆类、浆果、最健康的绿叶菜、最营养的蔬菜、一汤匙亚麻籽粉、四分之一茶匙姜黄、最佳饮品、最佳甜味剂、运动量要求等等等等。
So beans every day, berries every day, the healthiest foods, greens every day, the healthiest vegetables, tablespoon of ground flax seeds, quarter teaspoon of turmeric, the best beverages, best sweetener, how much exercise, blah blah blah.
你可以勾选这些方框来记录每日摄入情况,诸如此类。
And you can tick off the boxes and chart your daily product, whatever.
所以我就这么做了。
So here I am.
我一天所需的营养指标,一顿午餐就完成了一半。
I could have ticked off half my boxes for the day and one lunch.
然后你猜怎么着?
And then how about this?
至于甜点,有个叫Nana Bar的地方。
For for dessert, there's this place called Nana Bar.
对吧?
Right?
那里是个优质冰淇淋吧。
Where it is a nice cream bar.
它是用冷冻香蕉制作的冰淇淋。
So it's a ice cream made from frozen bananas.
就一种原料,冷冻香蕉,放进榨汁机或食物处理器之类的机器里,出来就像软冰淇淋一样。
One ingredient, frozen bananas, put through, like, some juicer or food processor or something, comes out like soft serve ice cream.
然后他们只提供全天然的食物,你知道的,就是那些配料。
And then they just have whole food, you know, toppings.
柜台后面的小伙子,他妈妈亲手做了格兰诺拉麦片。
And and the guy behind the counter gets his mom made the granola.
这多酷啊?
Like, how cool is that?
好吧。
Okay.
所以我正在把妈妈做的格兰诺拉麦片撒在冷冻香蕉冰淇淋上。
So I'm having his mom's granola on on on on frozen banana ice cream.
全是植物基食品,植物基甜点和餐点,完全随性。
So whole plant based food, plant based dessert and meal, and totally random.
就像,我都不用做功课,直接过来就能决定去哪吃。
Like, I didn't have to like do my homework, just showed up and where was I going to eat?
这种情况并非随处可见。
Now, this doesn't happen everywhere.
有时候我在阿肯色州之类的地方,就只能靠塔可钟的豆泥卷饼度日。
Sometimes I'm in Arkansas or something and I'm, you know, living off a Taco Bell bean burritos or something.
但当我有幸身处伦敦这样的大都市时,就能吃得健康。
But when I'm blessed to be in a great metropolitan city like London, I can eat healthy.
你可以做到的。
You can make it happen.
很简单。
Easy.
我是说,我甚至想都没想就做到了。
I mean, I didn't even without a second thought.
是啊。
Yeah.
你说自己在吃植物性饮食,但刻意避开了'纯素'这个词。
Now you say that you're in a plant based diet, but you don't use the v word, the vegan word.
是否有理由不这样做?而且你也知道我这里来过素食主义者,我很欣赏他们,但他们往往带有一种特定的文化,很多时候对肉食者会表现出相当对抗的态度。就像那个老笑话说的:你怎么知道遇到的是素食主义者?
Is there a reason not to do that and also because you know I've had vegans on here, and I and I love it But also they have a specific culture that's also a lot of times quite combative when it comes to meat eaters and things like that And there's the old joke you know how do you know when you met a vegan?
给他们几分钟,他们自己就会告诉你。
Give them a few minutes and they'll tell you.
所以你是在试图与那种形象保持距离吗?还是你对整个现象有什么看法?
And so are you trying to kind of disassociate from that or what's your read on the whole thing?
嗯,作为一名医生,像‘素食者’、‘纯素食者’这类词汇并不能告诉我你吃了什么。
Well, I mean, so as a physician, the I mean, the words vegetarian, vegan, they don't tell me what you eat.
它们只能告诉我你不吃什么。
I mean, there's it tells me what you don't eat.
对吧?
Right?
但市面上确实有很多垃圾素食食品。
But there's lots of really garbage vegetarian food.
你可以靠薯片和汽水过活。比如我去大学校园演讲时就常见到这种情况。
You could eat live off of chips and soda and, you know, I mean and, know, I go speak at these college campuses.
他们基本上就靠薯片和啤酒过活。
They live off of, you know, chips and beer, basically.
对吧?
Right?
这些大学生们,你知道的,不在乎健康,他们这么做是为了应对全球变暖之类的原因。
These these college beans that, you know, don't care about their health, they're doing it for, like, global warming reasons or whatever.
而且你可以吃得非常糟糕。
And they're you can eat a miserable diet.
对吧?
Right?
而全食物植物基饮食则告诉我你实际在做什么。
Whereas whole food plant based, tells me actually what you're doing.
哦,你确实会吃蔬菜。
Oh, you actually eat your vegetables.
现在我们能理解了,对吧?
Now we can, right?
因此很遗憾,它提供的信息量并不充分。
And so unfortunately, it's just not as informative.
此外,这类标签还附带了一些包袱——就像你的健康其实与是否系真皮腰带毫无关系。
Plus, there is this kind of baggage that comes along with it, whereas, like, for your health, it doesn't matter whether you have a leather belt on or not.
对吧?
Right?
我是说,它们还伴随着其他东西。
I mean, they have other things that come along with it.
所以这更像是一种身份认同而非行为描述。如果要讨论素食主义,我宁愿用'素食饮食'或'素食餐'这样的表述,而不是把'vegan'当作名词化的身份标签,因为后者会筑起一道隔阂。
And so it's like an identity as opposed to like, so if you're going to talk about vegan, I would prefer talking about vegan eating or a vegan meal as opposed to vegan the noun identity because that sets up this kind of barrier.
比如人们可能说'我不一定想成为素食主义者,但我希望看着孩子长大,想要保持健康'。
Like, well, I don't want to be a vegan necessarily, but Oh, yeah, I want to see my kids grow up and I want to be healthy.
哦,好吧。
Oh, okay.
所以饮食中全植物性食品占比越高越好。
So the more and more whole plant foods one can center their diets around, the better.
所以这是一个连续光谱。
And so it's a spectrum.
世界上关于植物性食材的最大规模研究原本是在英国进行的,直到Adventist II接手了这项在美国(尤其是加利福尼亚和加拿大)开展的大型研究。
So the largest study of plant based ingredients in the world actually used to be here in The UK until Adventist II took over this massive study in The States, particularly California and Canada.
这项研究追踪了数万名采用植物性饮食的人群,结果显示:他们将非素食者与所谓的半素食者或弹性素食者(每周而非每日摄入肉类的人群)、除鱼类外不摄入其他肉类的鱼素者、完全不摄入肉类的蛋奶素食者、以及不摄入任何肉类/蛋奶的纯素食者进行对比,发现疾病风险呈现阶梯式下降——每提升一个饮食层级,患二型糖尿病、高血压和肥胖症的风险就会显著降低。
So following tens of thousands of people eating plant based diets and shows this kind of so they compared non vegetarians to so called semi vegetarians or flexitarians, people eating meat more like a once a week basis rather than a daily basis compared to pescatarians, those who know meat except fish, compared to ova lacto vegetarians who know meat at all, compared to vegans who know meat, eggs, or dairy, and shows this kind of stepwise drop, where each level is significantly lower disease risk for type two diabetes and high blood pressure and obesity.
因此即便是蛋奶素食者(至少在美国),平均体重也处于超重状态。
Such that even lacto ovo vegetarians, at least in The States, are on average overweight.
他们的BMI实际上超过了25。
Their BMI is actually over twenty five.
唯一符合理想体重的饮食群体是那些更严格遵循植物性饮食的人。
The only dietary group actually fit in ideal weight were those eating more strictly plant based diets.
所以这并不是非黑即白的事情。
So it's not black and white.
这不是全有或全无的选择。
It's not all or nothing.
我认为这是一个重要的信息:在健康饮食的谱系上,我们每前进一步都能积累显著益处。
Any movement we can make along the spectrum towards eating healthy can accrue significant benefits I think it's important message.
好的。
Okay.
你是科学家。
You're a scientist.
你是医生。
You're a doctor.
所以这很合理。
So that makes sense.
你关注的是吃进嘴里的东西如何让人更长寿健康,而不是腰带上系什么。你在意事实和科学对吧?我最近其实在进行低盐饮食——因为参加死藤水仪式必须禁食很多食物。回来后发现,我真的不再渴望盐分和某些食物了。另一个变化是我开始多做自重训练,减少器械举重,发现自己正逐渐转向以蔬菜为主的饮食。而且我更关注身体反应了,比如初次进食时如果感到不适,为什么还要继续吃呢?
You're like what you put in your mouth that's gonna make you live longer and healthier as opposed to what belt you wear as opposed to what you were so you care about the facts and the science right I Went on a low salt diet actually I was doing an Ayahuasca ceremony So I had to not eat a lot of foods and I found that once I came back on it I didn't really want the salt and I didn't really want some of those food and other thing that's happened to me with me lately is I've been doing a lot of body weight exercises less of the lifting weights and I found that I'm just I'm trending toward more of a vegetable based diet and also I'm listening to my gut a little bit more like if it hurts a little when I first eat it, why do I keep eating it?
我不知道。
I don't know.
这些现象是否只是其他症状的表现?
Do these things are these just other symptoms?
你会考虑这些事情吗?还是说你会回到原来的习惯?
Do you think about this stuff or do you go back to the
不会。
No.
这里面有非常良性的反馈循环。
There's really nice feedback loops.
我是说,这些都是迹象。
I mean, it is all the sign.
我的意思是,这就是为什么我鼓励人们去尝试。
I mean, so I mean, that's what that's why I encourage people to, you know, give it a try.
对吧?
Right?
就像试吃免费样品一样去尝试。
Try it as a as a, like, a free sample.
对吧?
Right?
任何人都可以坚持几周不吃某些食物。
Anyone can eat anything for a few weeks.
对吧?
Right?
事实上,几周不吃东西也是可以的。
In fact, can eat nothing for a few weeks.
我是说,你看,关键在于——想到'我这辈子再也不能吃辣香肠披萨了'这种念头
I mean, I mean, so look, it's just, and so the thought of, wait a second, I can't eat pepperoni pizza for the rest of my life?
简直让人难以置信。
Like, that's just mind blowing.
人们甚至无法接受这种想法。
People can't even consider that.
当然,我不是那个意思,但日常生活中我还是想吃得健康些。
Of course, that's not what I'm saying, you know, but on a day to day basis, I want to eat healthy.
我说:'不不不,给我三周时间适应,好吗?'
I said, No, no, no, give me three weeks, right?
那就三周时间,我们健康饮食,我会给你这些建议。
So three weeks, let's eat healthy, I'll give you all these tips.
其实,有个很棒的非营利组织'责任医师委员会'运营的21天启动计划。
You know, in fact, there's this great twenty one day kickstart program run by an organization, a nonprofit called Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
每月1号开始,已有数十万人参与过。
It starts at the first of every month, hundreds of thousands of people have done it.
支持多种语言。
It's a bunch of different languages.
完全免费注册。
Sign up, it's all completely free.
你可以把它当作社交媒体小组来参与。
You do it as kind of a social media group.
大家一起注册,分享食谱,每天获取小贴士等。
You all sign up together, and you share recipes, and you get daily tips and stuff.
每月1号,21天启动计划。
And the first of every month, twenty one Day Kickstart.
我想应该是21daykickstart.org之类的网站。
So I think it's 21daykickstart.org, something like that.
再次强调,就是教大家具体怎么做。
So again, just giving people the hows to actually do it.
但记住,只要21天,理念是21天后你的味蕾会突然改变,食物尝起来更美味,你也会感觉更棒。
But again, just twenty one days, and the thought is, look, twenty one days all of sudden your taste buds are changing, the food is tasting better, and you're feeling better.
突然间,哦,你的睡眠质量也变好了。
And so all of a sudden, Oh, your sleep is better.
人们会说,哦,你状态很好,年轻又健康,没有任何症状。
People are like, Oh, you're doing fine and young and healthy, you have no symptoms.
他们原以为自己没有症状。
Then they thought they didn't have symptoms.
然后发现,哦,我的慢性消化不良消失了。
They're like, Oh, my chronic indigestion went away.
我还以为饭后总是胀气难受是正常的呢。
I just thought that was normal to just always feel bloated and gross after meals like this.
但现在不同了,我的肠道功能规律了,经期疼痛也减轻了。
But no, now, you know, so my bowel regulate, my periods are less painful.
我是说,感觉真的好多了。
I mean, they just feel so much better.
于是他们就有了这种内在动力。
So then they have this internal motivation.
不再是那种'几十年后你不会中风'之类的遥远承诺,而是切身体会到'哇,我感觉好多了'。
No longer is it like, Oh, yeah, a few decades down the road, you're not going have a stroke or something, but it's this internal, Wow, I feel so much better.
事实上这就是为什么做这类研究时——说到科学——经常会采用所谓的ABA实验设计,先记录基线数据,再让人群转换饮食观察变化,最后又切换回原饮食来确认确实是饮食的作用。
In fact, that's why, you know, when they do these studies, talking about science, often they do what's called the ABA design, where you put people switch people to a diet, so you have before and after, and then you switch them back to make sure it was actually the diet.
你先让人们从常规饮食转为特殊饮食,然后观察变化。
So you switch people from their regular diet to a special diet, and then you see changes.
你会想:等等,这该不会只是巧合吧?
You want say, Wait a second, was that just coincidence that that happened?
于是再让他们恢复原饮食,看看是否一切真的又回到了最初状态。
You switch them back to their original diet to if indeed everything went back to normal.
所以已经有一些研究将人们转为植物性饮食,对吧?
And so there's been these studies done where they switch people to a plant based diet, right?
比如针对偏头痛和各种不同医疗状况的研究,类风湿性关节炎等。
So for it's been done for like migraines and a bunch of different medical conditions, rheumatoid arthritis.
让参与者转换饮食几周后,按照研究协议他们需要恢复原有饮食,因为这时关节感觉好转了。
So switch people for a couple weeks, and then part of the study protocol, they have to go back to the original diet because then, you know, your joints feel better.
我们想确认关节症状确实会恶化。
We want to make sure your joints actually feel worse.
但他们拒绝这么做。
And they refuse to do it.
太多研究对象拒绝恢复原有饮食,这破坏了研究设计。
And so many study subjects refuse to go back to their original diet, it screws up the study.
事实上,我们不得不将这些违反协议的人从研究中剔除。
In fact, we have to throw out those people from the study because they violated the protocol.
因此科学数据实际上低估了实际情况的效果。
And so actually, the science comes out and actually underestimates the fact.
对吧?
Right?
效果太显著了,我们甚至无法展示完整研究结果,因为他们感觉好多了,根本不愿意完成这项研究。
It's so powerful we can't even show it because they won't even finish the darn study because they just feel so much better.
他们直接表示:'我才不要回去呢。'
They're like, well, I'm not going back.
我感觉好多了。
I feel so much better.
疯了吗?
Are crazy?
给我钱我都不愿意回到原来的饮食方式。
You couldn't pay me to go back to the original diet.
但你不尝试就永远不会知道。
And so that but you don't know until you give it a try.
对吧?
Right?
你不尝试就永远不知道这种感觉有多好。
You don't know how good you can feel until you give it try.
然后你会有种内在的感觉,看,我感觉好多了。
And then you have the internal like, feel look, I feel better.
就像,根本不在乎。
Like, don't care.
所以,你看,就算有全世界的科学依据,但我知道自己的身体感受,这样吃让我感觉更好。
So, you know, and then all the science in the world, you know, it's like, well, I know how my body feels and I feel better eating this way.
而且确实很棒,科学证明这会降低我患其他各种疾病的风险。
And yeah, it's great that science shows it's gonna reduce my risk of all this other stuff.
但再说一次,你不尝试就永远不会知道。
But but again, you don't know till you give it a try.
所以我真的鼓励我的病人们都去尝试。
So that's really what I encourage my patients to do.
我是美国人,在美国长大的。
I'm American, and growing up in America.
我只是在想,我们该如何打破这种饮食循环。
I'm just wondering how we break this cycle of eating.
你知道吗,我还记得,你的牛排有多大?
You know, I still remember, you know, how big is your steak?
你看,所有这些食物几乎像是美国人的权利——我的薯条、我的油炸食品、我的这个那个。我看了《奶牛阴谋》这部电影,我知道你参演了续集。当他们被问及时,人们会说:等等,你让我减少淋浴用水来节水?但为什么不是通过不吃肉来节水呢?所有人都觉得:我们不能要求人们改变饮食习惯,否则他们会反抗。因为这涉及到非常个人化的选择,特别是对美国人而言。但我们该如何改变这个循环?更糟的是,当我心脏出问题时,我去看医生,他给我开他汀类药物——这基本上是他被推广要做的,这资助了整个医疗行业。电视上还播放着90秒精美广告,说这药会让我快乐。我是说,这里有个疯狂的恶性循环。
You know, you the all these foods that almost seem like an American right to have my fries and to have my deep fried this and to have my this and to have my that and you know I watched this movie Cowspiracy I know you were in the sequel to that movie and you know when they asked them they said wait a second you want me to reduce my shower volume of the water to save water and they said but what about not eating meat to save water and everyone's like well We can't ask people to change their diet or they'll they'll revolt and it because it's such a personal thing to ask maybe an American to or maybe anybody But how do we change the cycle and then on top of that when my heart gets diseased I go to my doctor He writes a prescription for a statin that he basically you know is Promoted to do it's it funds the medical industry they put out a beautiful ninety second ad on TV about how it's gonna make me happy I mean, there's a crazy vicious cycle going on here.
我们该如何打破这个循环?
How do we break that?
我是说,这是非常个人化的事情。
I mean, it's it's a very personal thing.
谈论饮食就像谈论宗教、谈论政治一样敏感。
I mean, talking about diet, it's like talking about religion, talking about politics.
这真的触及到个人非常深层的部分。
I mean, it's really deeply personal.
就像是在说:等等,你听我说。
It's like, basically, I'm saying, wait a second.
你是说,我母亲给我吃的东西对我有害?
You you tell me what my mother fed me was bad for me?
你知道,嘿,别说了,我们别谈这个了好吗?
I you know, hey, don't get me let's not go know?
我的母亲。
About my mother.
别谈论我的妻子。
Don't talk about my wife.
什么?
What?
你什么?
You what?
对。
Right.
所以是的。
And so yeah.
所以,你知道,通常我会在自己的实践中先不减少任何饮食摄入。
So, you know, oftentimes so what, you know, what I've done in my own practice is I start out not taking anything away.
我只是鼓励多吃健康食品。
I just encourage to eat more healthy foods.
所以我...你知道,我并没有减少任何东西。
So I I you know, so I'm I'm not taking anything away.
就像,好吧。
It's like, okay.
我希望你每天吃这个,每天吃份沙拉,把这些食物加入你的饮食中。
I want you to eat this every day, have a salad every you know, and add these foods to your diet.
我希望你每天吃这么多水果。
I want you eat this much fruit every day.
然后他们会觉得,哦,他们并没有被剥夺感,而且食物多得让你知道,胃容量总是有限的。
And then they feel, oh, they're not have feeling deprived, and they got too much food in hopes that you're kinda you know, there's only so much you can fit.
一个人每天能摄入的热量总是有限的。
There's only so many calories you can get in a day.
所以你希望通过鼓励人们多吃健康食物,让他们自然没有空间摄入那些不太健康的选择,从而逐渐走上健康之路。
And so you're hoping by, you know, eating some of the healthiest foods, inspiring people to some they they they just don't have enough room for some of the the less healthy options at of the day, so they can kind of start down that path.
然后他们会开始感觉健康,并逐渐喜欢上这些食物,开始尝试新的食物。
Then they start feeling healthy and they start getting a taste of these foods, start experimenting with new foods.
人们常有这样的困惑:我该吃什么呢?
People have the sense that, know, like, what am I going to eat?
这会限制我的饮食选择。
Would constrict my diet.
实际上,调查显示大多数人通常只吃八到九种不同的餐食。
Many people actually, if you ask them, people tend to only eat eight or nine meals on surveys.
平均而言,人们晚餐通常只吃大约八到九种不同的菜品。
Average, people only tend to eat about eight or nine dinner meals.
基本上就是循环吃这些。
Just kind of rotate through.
这确实是一种相当单调有限的肉类选择。
Really kind of a boring restricted kind of reservoir of of meat.
而实际上当你发现外面有一整片充满可能性的海洋,各种精致的民族美食,那些你从未尝试过的食物,你可能会发现比那些标准常规的、普通的、不一样的、你知道的、口味和烹饪方式更喜欢的。
And when actually you discover that there's this whole ocean of other possibilities out there, all sorts of neat ethnic cuisines, foods you never tried that, you know, you might actually like more than just the standard kind of, you know, regular, you know, I don't know, just different, you know, flavors, preparing.
你知道,很多人从小到大都不知道鹰嘴豆泥是什么,直到尝到后惊叹‘这真的很好吃’。
You know, a lot of people, you know, grew up, never knew what hummus was or never it's like, Wow, this stuff is really good.
所以这往往最终会扩展人们的饮食选择范围。
And, you know, I mean and so it often ends up expanding people's repertoire.
他们实际上正在食用比标准美式饮食或标准英式西方饮食更多样化、更丰富的饮食。
They're actually eating more interesting, more diverse diets than they ever were before, eating just kind of the standard American diet or the standard British Western diet.
所以你鼓励他们尝试一些新食物
So you try to encourage them to try some new foods and
对
see Right.
对
Right.
以任何必要的速度坚持下去。
And do it at whatever pace is necessary to stick with it.
你今天、明天或下周吃什么并不重要,重要的是十年后你会吃什么。
It doesn't matter what you eat today or tomorrow or next week, it's what going to be eating ten years from now.
所以按照你自己的节奏来。
And so go at whatever pace.
它必须是负担得起的。
It has to be affordable.
它必须美味可口。
It has to be delicious.
它必须对你和你的生活来说方便。
It has to be convenient for you and your life.
对吧?
Right?
我是说,任何人都可以捏着鼻子吃几天或几周他们不喜欢的东西,对吧?
I mean, anyone can hold their nose and eat something they don't like for a couple days or a couple weeks, right?
但那样就无法长期坚持了,对吧?
But then it's not going to be lifelong sustained, right?
这是一种生活方式。
This is a lifestyle.
对你而言这完全是另一种方式。
It's a whole different way for you.
那么余生你都能这样吃吗?
So for the rest of your life, can you eat this way?
如果答案是否定的,你就得继续尝试各种食物。
If the answer is no, you've to keep trying foods.
然后突然间你会发现一种早餐,你会想:噢,我以前从没吃过钢切燕麦。
And then all of a sudden you find a breakfast and you're like, Oh, I never had steel cut oats before.
哇,配上浆果和坚果这些真的很好吃。
Wow, these are really good with berries and nuts and all.
哇,好吧,我能想象自己这样吃,你知道的,这种多样化的优质食物。
Wow, okay, I could see myself eating this way, you know, this variety of really good food.
好的,那么你就相当于在清单上打了个勾:我找到了一份非常棒的常备早餐。
Okay, so then you've got like, you know, you ticked off a box for, I've got a really good go to breakfast.
好的,然后你会想:有哪些适合我工作场所的午餐选择呢?
Okay, and then you're like, What are some lunch options that fit into my workplace or whatever?
所以你看,如果这需要几周、甚至几个月时间——我们讨论的可是你的长寿问题。
And so, and look, if this takes weeks, if this takes months, we're talking about, your longevity.
我们讨论的是如何延长你的寿命。
We're talking about adding years to your life.
我们讨论的是如何为你的生命增加健康的岁月,这样你才能真正为社会创造价值、享受生活,对吧?
We're talking about adding healthy years to your life so you actually be productive to society, enjoy life, right?
健康的人更能享受生活乐趣。
Healthy people have more fun.
这就是我想传达的信息。
That's the message I want to give.
健康的人更快乐,不是吗?
Healthy people have more fun, right?
对很多人来说,尤其是年轻人,他们可能没有亲眼见过至亲重病或离世的经历。
For people, particularly young people, a lot of people, they may not have a close relative that's actually been really sick or actually seen somebody die.
但你看,我们医生在医院工作,对吧?
But see, we physicians, we're in the hospitals, right?
我们亲眼目睹疾病有多可怕,对吧?
We see how horrible the disease is, right?
我会带所有糖尿病患者去透析病房看看
I mean, I take all my diabetics to a dialysis ward.
除非你去过透析病房,否则你不会明白失去肾功能是什么感觉
Unless you've been to a dialysis ward, you don't know what it's like to lose your kidney function.
那里是什么样子?
What's it look like?
哦,首先那里有股尿骚味
Oh, I mean, so first of all, there's this stench of urine.
你根本躲不开,因为这基本上就是透析的过程
You just can't get away from it because basically that's what you're doing.
他们在过滤尿液,因为肾脏已经失去功能了
You're filtering out the urine because they no longer had kidney function.
没错。
Right.
而且...所以,你知道,患者必须去那里,每天要花好几个小时连着这台循环血液的机器,这简直是最令人沮丧、精神崩溃的经历。
And and and so, you know, people have to go there, and it's literally hours hooked up to this machine that cycles throughout their blood, and it's the most depressed, soul crushing.
事实上,这个地方的员工流动率极高,就是因为患者死亡速度太快了。
In fact, the turnover at this place in terms of the employees, the staff is so great just because everybody dies so quickly.
实际上,开始透析后的平均预期寿命非常短。
In fact, the average life expectancy when you start dialysis is very short.
不过大多数糖尿病患者其实都撑不到透析阶段,因为他们会先死于心脏病——透析会大幅增加心脏病风险,在肾功能衰竭前就会先心脏病发作。
Though most diabetics actually don't make a dialysis because they die of heart disease first because dialysis so increases your risk of heart disease, you have a heart attack before your kidneys function, if kidney fail.
但人们没有意识到,比如失去自理能力这件事。
But people don't realize, like the loss of independence.
医院本身就是个可怕的地方。
Like hospitals horrible places to be.
我的意思是,如果你从未亲身经历过,你根本不会明白——你所有的梦想,人生规划,都会被残疾突然打断。
I mean, if you've never experienced that yourself, you just don't realize that whatever dreams you have, whatever you want to do with your life, I mean, you don't realize how cut short that would be by a disability.
突然间,你看不见了,这对你的人生和家庭意味着什么?
Then all of a sudden, like, you couldn't see, like, what would that mean for your life and your family?
就像,素食主义者谈论全球变暖和动物福利这些外在的、利他主义的东西。
Like, you know and so, yeah, the vegans talk about global warming and animal welfare, all these kind of other external kind of altruistic whatever.
但我说的可是实实在在的好处。
But no, I'm talking tangible benefits.
你的人生,你想做什么?
You, your life, what do you want to do?
你的目标是什么?你打算如何实现?我能怎么帮你?
Like what are your goals and you know, how are going to get there and how can I?
听着,这是你的身体,你的选择。
Look, it's your body, your choice.
你想抽烟吗?
You want to smoke cigarettes?
想去蹦极吗?
Want to go bungee jumping?
这是你的身体,由你决定。
It's your body, your choice.
做你想做的事。
Do whatever you want.
作为医生,我只能告诉你这些行为可能带来的可预见后果。
As a physician, all I can do is share with you what the predictable consequences of your actions are.
如果你继续吸烟,根据你的情况,这些是可能会发生的后果。
If you continue to smoke, this is what's likely to happen to people in your circumstance, you know.
所以我所能做的就是分享这些信息。
And so that's all I can do is share that information.
之后人们如何选择完全取决于他们自己。
Then what people do with it is completely up to them.
就我而言,只要所有人都知道真相,我就可以退休了。
As far as I'm concerned, look, as soon as everybody knows the truth, I'm retiring.
就这样。
That's it.
对吧?
Right?
让别人去做烹饪节目,教大家怎么做,让它变得方便又有趣。
Let other people have cooking shows, tell people how to do it, make it convenient, make it fun.
这没问题。
That's fine.
只要人们了解情况,能做出知情选择。
As long as people know, get to make that choice and informed consent.
比如说:我知道吸烟对我不好,我不会继续抽了。
Say, Yeah, I know smoking is not good for me, I'm not going continue doing it.
明白吗?
Okay, right?
看看你的体检报告,我是不会这么做的。但只要人们知道他们通过餐叉就能掌控自己的健康和寿命,只要人们明白这点,我的任务就完成了,我就可以躺在海滩上喝着我的羽衣甘蓝鸡尾酒享受生活了。
It looks your bio, I'm not going to do it, but as long as people know the power they have over their health and longevity through what is at the end of their fork, as long as people know that, then my job is done and I'm at the beach with my, you know, little little kale cocktail kicking back.
但你的工作永无止境,你还在外面到处宣扬这些理念。
But your job is never ending and you are out there preaching this stuff.
但数据显示美国的情况仍在恶化,我仍担忧——相信你也是——是否会出现一个临界点,当医疗支出占GDP的25%时会发生什么?
But the numbers in the are telling us that it's still going the other way in America And so is there gonna be this I still worry and I'm sure you do that there's gonna be this crisis moment And what is it when medical care becomes twenty five percent of GG?
难道要等到人们真的开始在我们眼前死去吗?
Is it when everyone just literally starts dying in front of our eyes?
我的意思是,这个信息究竟何时才能真正被接受?你做了了不起的工作,但趋势却往相反方向发展。
I mean, when it when is the message really gonna get through because you know, you're doing amazing work, but it's going in other.
去年是美国有史以来首次出现预期寿命下降的纪录年,基本上自建国以来从未有过。
So last year was the first year kind of a record where where the life expectancy actually declined in The US for the first time, basically, since our nation's founding.
自从我们摆脱英国统治后,这是头一遭。
Once we got out of the British yoke, that was ever since then.
这就是生意。
It's just business.
要知道,虽然整体趋势是上升的,但这是首次出现逆转,对吧?
So life, know, it's been going on, I mean, generally, but then for the first time, right?
我们将见证美国历史上第一代寿命比父母更短的儿童。
So we're looking at the first generation of children in The United States living shorter lives than their parents.
为什么呢?
And why?
因为肥胖、糖尿病。
It's because obesity, diabetes.
所以还有很多工作要做,对吧?
And so there is work to be done, right?
但我的意思是,到底多摄入了多少卡路里?
But I mean it's like how many more calories?
我是说,为什么会出现肥胖流行病?
I mean it's like no like why is there an obesity epidemic?
看看现在人们摄入的卡路里比70年代多了多少,这简直是一一对应的关系,哇,是的,每天多吃这么多卡路里就会增重这么多。
Look how much calories people are eating now compared to the 70s, and it literally tracks one to one, like, woah, yeah, this is how much weight you would put on eating this many more calories a day.
这就是人们增加的体重。
This is how much weight people put on.
我是说,这根本不是什么谜。
I mean, there's no mystery.
人们吃得更多了。
People are eating more food.
为什么?
Why?
因为,你知道,垃圾食品行业让人们整天吃垃圾食品,他们像强盗一样大发横财,却把医疗账单留给了整个社会,造成了巨大的人道代价。
Because, you know, the junk food industry is getting people to eat garbage all day and they're making off like bandits but leaving, you know, this healthcare bill not for the government, for all society, and this tremendous human cause.
但你看,我希望人们能够重获健康。
But look, you know, so I'm hoping people will be able to take back their health.
就像吸烟一样,你知道,吸烟的高峰年份是在50年代,那时美国人均年消费4000支香烟,意味着平均每人每天吸半包烟。
You know, just like this, you know, in smoking, the peak year of smoking so it used to be back in the 50s, the average per capita cigarette consumption in The States, 4,000 cigarettes a year per So that means the average person walking around smoked half pack a day on average.
对吧?
Right?
这
It's
太疯狂了。
crazy.
媒体曾经
Media was
告诉人们吸烟——政府、医疗行业都在这么做。
telling people that smoke the the government, the medical profession.
对吧?
Right?
所以一方面,整个医疗行业、政府和媒体都在鼓励你吸烟。
So on one hand, you had all the medical profession, the government, the media telling you smoke.
另一方面,你只有科学依据——如果你甚至知道那些研究的话,而很多人并不知道。
On the other hand, all you had was the science, if you were even aware of that body language, which many people weren't.
因此吸烟率在1964年达到顶峰,之后每年都在下降。
So that peaked in 1964, then basically went down every year since in terms of smoking.
他说,等等,1964年发生了什么?
And he said, wait a second, what happened in 1964?
《卫生局长吸烟危害报告》在那年发布了。
The Surgeon General's report against smoking came out.
当时,这需要7000项研究。
Now, at that point, it took 7,000 studies.
因此1964年的卫生局局长报告引用了7000项将吸烟与疾病联系起来的研究。
So Surgeon General's report in 1964 referenced 7,000 studies linking smoking with the disease.
你会以为在前6000项研究之后就该给人们提个醒什么的。
You'd think after the first 6,000 it could give people a little heads up or something.
不,非要7000项研究才行,对吧?
No, 7,000 studies, right?
这就是当局正式承认前所需的证据量。
That's what it took before the powers that be officially recognized.
而且我们早在上世纪三十年代就有证据表明吸烟有害健康,但直到当局正式表态才产生实际影响。
And again, we had evidence going back to the thirties, right, that smoking wasn't good for you, but again, it didn't hit it wasn't until the powers that be actually came out and said it.
因此我认为我们今天处于类似境地,被各种矛盾信息狂轰滥炸。
So I believe we're in a similar situation today, where having very similar bombarded with messages.
科学结论很明确,但我们接收到的饮食建议却...
The science is clear, yet the message we get about what we eat.
那么,我们还需要多久才能等到下一份关于饮食的卫生局局长报告呢?
And so how long is it going to take before, you know, we get the next kind of Surgeon General's report about diet?
你知道,当我演讲时
You know, so when I was speaking
二十年?
Twenty years?
去年我在疾病控制与预防中心的慢性病部门演讲时,那实际上是他们问我的第一个问题。
Well, I was speaking last year before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, their chronic disease unit, that was actually the first question I got.
问题是:好吧,你希望我们对此采取什么行动?
It was, Okay, what do you want us to do about it?
好的,我是说,你知道饮食的力量。
Alright, I mean, you know, the power of diet.
没有人质疑科学依据。
No one questions the science.
比如,如果我到处谈论迪恩·奥尼什的研究成果——比如我去参加大型医学会议时,没人会说‘哦,那个...’——我的意思是,没人能否认这一点。
Like, I go around So if you go around and talk about Dean Ornish's work, for example, I go to these big medical conferences, no one says, Oh, that's I mean, no one can say that.
这些都是发表在顶级期刊上的随机对照试验。
Mean, these are randomized controlled trials published in the best journals.
他们会说,'哦,我的病人做不到'。
What they say is, Oh, my patients won't do it.
他们带着这种居高临下的态度。
They have this patronizing attitude.
我甚至没法让我的病人戒烟。
I can't even give my patients stop smoking.
更别提提这个了。
Not even going to bring this up.
他们在替病人做决定,而不是给予病人自主权...总之,科学依据是毋庸置疑的,只是存在这种'人们可能不会照做'的顾虑。
They're making their mind up for the patients rather than giving patients the right to Anyway, so but the I mean, so but the the science isn't in contest, but just this sense of, you know, people might not do it.
所以我对CDC说,听着,1964年时你们只需要承认事实。
And so when CDC I I said, look, you know, in in 1964, you just have to, acknowledge the fact.
比如去年,世界卫生组织下属的国际癌症研究机构——这个官方机构负责判定物质的致癌性——将加工肉制品提升至1类致癌物。
So for example, last year, the World Health Organization, the IARC, the official body that determines what is and is not cancer causing, bumped up processed meat to category one carcinogen.
也就是说培根、火腿、热狗、香肠、午餐肉这些,对吧?
So that's bacon, ham, hot dogs, sausages, lunch meat, right?
这意味着我们确信加工肉类对人类致癌的确定性,等同于钚、香烟和石棉的致癌性。
Meaning, we are as certain processed meat causes cancer in human beings than we are that plutonium causes cancer, cigarette smoke, and asbestos.
这是已证实的人类致癌物,对吧?
It is a proven human carcinogen, right?
然而我们却让孩子带着这些去上学。
Yet, we send our kids to school with it.
就像学校午餐配一盒牛奶再加一盒香烟。
It's like school luncheys get like a carton of milk, carton of cigarettes.
我的意思是,我们现在做的就相当于这种事。
Mean, that's the equivalent of what we're doing.
那为什么疾控中心官网上不标明这点呢?
And so why isn't it on the CDC website?
世界卫生组织都说了加工肉是一类致癌物,对吧?
You know, the World Health Organization says processed meat is a category one carcinogen, right?
要知道,加工肉类会致癌。
Know, processed meat causes cancer.
如果公众能承认这个已成定论的科学事实,仅此而已。
If there was just this public acknowledgment of the settled science, that's all again.
然后你看,人们就可以自行选择。
And then look, then people can do whatever they want.
我不是说要禁止这些东西,对吧?
I'm not saying ban the stuff, right?
你想抽烟就抽。
You want to smoke, smoke.
想吃肉就吃。
You want to eat meat, eat meat.
但至少要明白这可能会对你的家人造成什么影响。
But recognize as long as you have an understanding of what this might be doing to your family.
这些行业的势力有多强大?
How powerful these industries?
牛奶、乳制品、加工食品。
Milk, dairy, processed food.
你知道,我最喜欢的一个例子就是...当时我参与了奥普拉·温弗瑞的诽谤案审判,如果你还记得的话,结果确实出人意料。
There's a you know, one of my favorite examples of the power of well, there's there's lots of and so I was involved in the Oprah Winfrey case, the defamation trial and if you remember And it it really didn't it was surprising.
要知道,那时候这里当然群情激愤——考虑到各种不确定性因素这完全可以理解——但这些情绪从未真正传到大西洋彼岸。
You know, back then, I mean, was, of course, all the fury here, understandably so, given the uncertainties, but it never really made it across the Atlantic.
就像...那边民众的公共意识里根本没有这个概念,不知道欧洲这边人们正在应对这个问题。
Like, people it it wasn't kinda in the public consciousness over there that that that people were dealing with, this problem over here in Europe.
对。
Right.
那就简单给大家解释下疯牛病吧。
And just break down mad calf disease real quick for people.
我是说...
I mean
哇,这个...
So oh, wow.
所以在英国这里,我们得谈谈疯牛病,这种由朊病毒引起的疾病源于用动物蛋白喂养牛只的做法。
So here in Britain, gotta talk about so, yeah, bovine springs so the it it this this prion is this disease that arose from the the practice of feeding, animal protein to cows.
就是用牛喂牛,羊喂羊,山羊喂山羊。
So feeding cows to cow, sheep to sheep, goes to goat.
这种蛋白质循环利用使得这种脑部病原体得以通过食物链传播。
And so the this kind of protein recycling enabled this brain pathogen to be spread through the food chain.
正常情况下,牛应该是草食动物。
Now, normally, cows would be herbivores.
它们永远不会吃同类的脑部,永远不会同类相食。
They'd never eat the brains of their they'd never be cannibals.
对吧?
Right?
我们某种程度上把它们变成了这样,从而传播了这种原本不会传播的疾病。
We kinda made them into and that spread this disease that otherwise couldn't spread.
事实上,唯一类似的情况是巴布亚新几内亚的食人病库鲁病,那里也出现了同样的海绵状脑病,因为他们食用死者的脑部。
In fact, the only equivalent was this cannibal disease called kuru in Papua New Guinea, where there actually was the same spongiform encephalopathy because they ate the brains of the dead.
只要不吃死者的脑组织,你就没事。
So as long you don't eat the brains of your dead, you're fine.
但在英国,他们觉得这是个省钱的好办法。
But, you know, in Great Britain, they said, I got this great money saving.
为什么要花钱喂它们玉米和大豆呢?
Why feed them corn and soybeans that cost money?
不如喂它们脑组织吧。
Let's feed them brains.
喂它们屠宰场的副产品。
Let's feed them, you know, slaughterhouse byproducts.
肉和肉...
Meat and meat and
然后他们担心这种疾病可能会传染给人类。
And then they thought this disease might actually transfer to humans.
于是人们开始担忧:万一传染给人类怎么办?
And then the concern was, oh, what if it what if it what if it transfers to humans?
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。