本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你正在收听卢克的英语播客。
You're listening to Luke's English podcast.
如需更多信息,请访问 teacherluke.podomatic.com。
For more information, visit teacherluke.podomatic.com.
大家好,欢迎收听卢克的英语播客。
Hello, folks, and welcome to Luke's English podcast.
在上一期播客中,我谈到了轶事,然后你们听了几段英国广播公司电台主持人分享的轶事。
In the last podcast, I talked about anecdotes, and then you listened to a couple of anecdotes by some BBC radio DJs.
在本期播客中,你们将听到我和我的朋友安迪聊天,分享一些关于轻微犯罪的轶事。
In this podcast, you're going to listen to me and a friend of mine called Andy just talking and sharing anecdotes about petty crime.
所以我们仍然在讨论轻微犯罪这个话题。
So we're still on the subject of petty crime.
你们将听到我们大致分享四个轶事。
So you'll hear us basically sharing about four anecdotes.
你们只需聆听这些内容,我会在每个轶事结束后暂停,并解释一下我们在对话中使用的某些词汇。
So you can just listen to those, and I will stop them after each anecdote and kind of explain some of the vocabulary that we used in the conversations.
明白吗?
Okay?
就这样了。
So that's it.
这是我和安迪对话的第一部分。
Here is the first part of the conversation between me and Andy.
我们开始吧。
Here we go.
好了,安迪。
Right, Andy.
我一直在讲一些趣闻轶事
So I've been talking about anecdotes
是的。
Yeah.
在播客里。
In the podcast.
好的。
Okay.
对。
Yeah.
那我们来看看。
So let's see.
每个人都有那么几段故事,他们时不时会讲出来。
Everyone's got, like, a set of anecdotes that they that they kind of tell.
对吧?
Right?
他们把这些故事背得滚瓜烂熟,讲了无数遍,知道怎么讲才有效果。
And they know them by heart and they, you know, they've told them so many times and they know how it's gonna work.
是的。
Yeah.
他们知道哪里好笑。
They know what's funny.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
所以我想我们可以分享一些我们有趣的趣事。
So I thought what we could do is share a few of our amusing anecdotes.
好。
Okay.
不错。
Nice one.
那我们来看看。
So let's see.
你有没有啊,你想先来吗?
Have you got you know, do you wanna kick off?
你先讲一个你自己的趣事好吗?
Do you wanna do wanna get started with one of your own first?
还是我先开始,你只管听就好?
Or do want me to start and you can just listen and and enjoy?
我可以讲一个趣事。
I can tell you an anecdote.
是的。
Yeah.
我可以讲一个趣事。
I can tell you an anecdote.
那是我上大学的时候
This is when I was at university
对。
Yes.
大二那年,是的。
In my second year Yeah.
我们住在兰卡斯特,英格兰北部靠近湖区的一个小镇。
We we lived in in Lancaster, in the town of Lancaster and which is a small town in the North Of England near the Lake District.
是的。
And Yeah.
有一天晚上,我和朋友被逮捕了。
One evening, me and my friend got arrested.
哦,是的。
Oh, yes.
对。
Yeah.
不知怎么的,我一点也不惊讶。
I'm somehow, I'm not surprised.
谢谢。
Thank you.
那么你们做了什么?
Well What did you do?
好吧,让我告诉你这个故事。
Well, let me tell you the story.
我们去了一家夜总会,我想应该是一月或二月,地上积了很多雪。
We we've been out to a nightclub, and I think it was, like, January or February, but there was a lot of snow on the ground.
天气非常非常冷,我们走回去的时候,心情不错,当然喝了几杯酒。
It was really, really cold, and we were walking back and, you know, we were in a good mood, and we had a few drinks, obviously.
不知为什么,我们觉得朝当地的警察局扔雪球会很好玩。
And for some reason, we thought it would be funny to start throwing snowballs at the local police station.
对。
Right.
而且
And
嗯。
k.
总是这样,总是这样,是的。
Always a always a a Yeah.
周五晚上做点有趣的事。
A fun thing to do on a on a Friday night.
是的。
Yeah.
朝警察局扔东西。
Throw stuff at the police station.
朝警察局扔雪球。
Throw throw snowballs at the police station.
我不知道我们为什么这么做,也不知道我们想达到什么目的。
I don't know why we were doing it, and I don't know what we were trying to achieve.
所以我们朝警察局扔雪球。
But so we were throwing snowballs at the police station.
这是我朋友加雷斯和我。
This is my my friend Gareth and I.
当然,警察出来了。
And, of course, the police came out.
是的。
Yeah.
他们让我们停下,还让我们回家。
And they told us to stop, and they told us to go home.
看这里。
Look here.
喂,看起来你们正在向警察局扔雪球,我们建议你们立即回家,上床睡觉,好好清醒一下。
Oi, it appears that you are throwing snowballs at the police station, and we recommend that you go home immediately, go to bed, and sleep off your drunken state.
根本不是那样的。
It wasn't even like that.
更准确地说,他们只是说:你们能不能成熟一点,回家去?
It was more just a case of why don't you just grow up and go home?
我当时就说:不,不是那样的。
And I was like, yeah, no.
有道理。
Fair point.
所以,总之,我转过身准备走,但就在转身的时候,我的朋友加雷斯站在我身后,一个雪球从他那里飞过我的头顶。
So anyway, so I turned around to go, but just as I was turning round, my friend Gareth was stood behind me and this snowball came flying over my head from him.
是的。
Yeah.
雪球打中了警察的帽子。
And it hit the policeman in his hat.
他没戴头盔。
He didn't have a helmet.
他戴着一顶小帽子,雪球把它打飞了。
He had one of little hats on and it knocked
把他的帽子打掉了。
his hat off.
天哪。
Oh, goodness.
当然,我们开始狂笑,然后赶紧逃跑,因为这就是人们会做的事。
And, of course, we start laughing hysteric hysterically, and we start running away because that's what you do.
他们开车追了上来。
And they gave chase in the car.
那不是高速追捕,因为我们笑得太厉害,在雪地里摔来摔去,他们只是开过来,干脆把车停了下来。
It wasn't a it wasn't a high speed chase because we were laughing so much and falling over in the snow that they they just came up, they they basically stopped the car.
他们让我们上了车后座。
They put us in the back of the car.
他们带我们去了警察局,让我们在拘留室过了一夜。
They took us down to the police station, and they put us in the cells for the night.
天哪。
Blimey.
我们没有被指控任何罪名,但受到了口头警告。
And we weren't charged with anything, but we were given, like, a a verbal caution.
但你知道,我当时真的很后悔,事情一发生我就后悔了。
But I, you know, I I was obviously very I I really regretted it as soon as it happened.
是的。
Yeah.
我当时在警局拘留室里非常诚恳、安静,一直道歉。
And I was very, you know, contrite and quiet in the police cell and just, you know, very apologetic.
是的。
Yeah.
但我
But my
对不起,警官。
Sorry, officer.
对。
Yeah.
我不是故意扔雪球的。
I didn't mean to throw the snowball.
我没做这事。
I didn't do it.
是蜜蜂干的。
It was a bee.
我很抱歉。
Well, I'm terribly sorry.
而我的朋友加雷斯却非常愤慨,非常生气,他说:
Whereas my friend, Gareth, he got really indignant and really angry, and he's going,
这太荒谬了。
this is ridiculous.
你应该出去
You should go out
去抓真正的罪犯之类的事情。
and, you know, catch proper criminals and all that kind of stuff.
是的。
Yeah.
他们说,好的。
They said, okay.
我们要把你关在8号牢房。
We're gonna put you in Cell Number 8.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
8号监房有什么特别的?
What what's what's special about Cell Number 8?
嗯,那是个很小的房间,位于角落里。
Well, it was a really small one, and it was down in the corner.
而且显然,那一整晚都特别冷。
And it was apparently, it was really cold all night.
对。
Right.
早上,有人敲我监房的门,是的。
And in the morning, there was a knock on the door on my cell, and Yeah.
他们给我准备了一顿丰盛的热早餐,有培根和鸡蛋
I was given, like, a full cooked breakfast with, like, bacon and eggs
还有香肠和警察早餐。
and sausage and Police breakfast.
警察早餐。
Police breakfast.
是的。
Yeah.
那真的是,还有一杯茶,他问我:‘你茶怎么喝?’
It was really you know, and a cup of tea, know, and he was like, how'd you take your tea?
我说:‘请加牛奶。’
And I was like, milk, please.
两块糖。
Two sugars.
好的。
Okay.
马上来。
Coming right up.
你知道的,那感觉不像酒店,当然了。
It was, you know, it was like a it was like well, it wasn't like a hotel, of course.
我当时在监狱牢房里,但加兹什么都没得到。
I was I was I was in a prison cell, but Gaz didn't get anything.
哦,这样啊。
Oh, well.
你看,你能看出来,他是个激进分子。
See, you can see, he's a radical.
他一直在嘴上不饶人。
He was mouthing off.
根本没吃到任何早餐。
Didn't get any breakfast whatsoever.
所以显然,他们只是警告了我们一下,让我们别再犯,就放我们走了。
So they obviously, they released us with just, a slap on the wrist and, you know, told us not to do it again.
是的。
Yeah.
我们出去后,我其实挺高兴的。
And we got outside, I was actually quite happy.
我当时想,我吃了一顿特别好的早餐。
I was like, I've had a really good breakfast.
懂吗?
Know?
加雷斯说:‘什么?’
And Gareth's like, what?
你吃早餐了?
You had breakfast?
我什么都没吃到。
I didn't get anything.
是的。
Yeah.
这真是活该,你知道的。
Well, it serves him right, you know.
他不该朝警察的帽子扔雪球。
He shouldn't have thrown a snowball at a policeman's hat.
没错。
Exactly.
我惊讶的是他没受到更严重的处罚,你知道,因为警帽是……
I'm surprised he didn't get, you know, worse treatment because the policeman's hat, you
你知道,那是神圣的东西。
know It's a sacred thing.
那是神圣的东西。
It's a sacred thing.
哇。
Wow.
如果警帽被碰掉了,你知道,基本上有人就得进监狱。
If it gets knocked off you know, someone's going in jail, basically.
当警帽掉到地上时,人们就会受到惩罚。
When a policeman's hat hits the ground, people will be punished.
没错。
Exactly.
而且加雷斯被出版了?
And and Gareth was published published?
被惩罚了。
Punished.
加雷斯被惩罚了。
Gareth was punished.
他被惩罚了。
He's punished.
他现在有点出名了,
Not he's kind of published now,
我想,是从
I guess, from
一个播客。
a podcast.
这很奇怪。
It was strange.
我的意思是,在接下来的几天里,我们一直觉得难以置信,居然发生了这种事。
Mean, for the the next, you know, the next few days, we were kind of like, I can't believe that happened.
你知道的,我们现在真的必须好好表现了。
You know, we just gotta really gotta really behave now.
绝不能再让这种事情发生。
Don't ever let anything like that happen again.
但现在我回想起那晚,觉得那是我一生中最奇怪的夜晚之一——我被逮捕的那晚。
But now I just look back and I thought it was just one of the strangest nights of my life, the night I got arrested.
为了那块滑雪板。
For the snowboard.
与雪有关的罪行。
Snow related crimes.
我根本什么都没做。
I didn't even do anything.
那是加雷斯干的。
It was Gareth.
雪地犯罪,警官。
Snow crime, officer.
这可不是开玩笑,卢克。
It's no joke, Luke.
好的。
Okay.
所以,这是对话的第一部分。
So that's the first part of the conversation.
你刚才听到了安迪讲述他上大学时被警察逮捕的趣事。
And there you heard Andy's anecdote about being arrested by the police when he was at university.
为了帮你更好地理解,我来用简单的方式重新讲一遍这个故事。
Just to help you understand that, I'm gonna kind of retell the anecdote in a simple way just to help you to understand it.
对吧?
Right?
basically,这件事发生在安迪上大学的时候,我记得是一月或二月,天气非常冷。
So, basically, this happened when Andy was at university, and it was I think it was January or February, so it was very cold.
到处都是雪。
There was snow everywhere.
他和朋友在一起,他们喝了不少酒,所以有点醉了。
He was with his friend, and they had been drinking, so they were kind of drunk.
那大概是周五晚上很晚的时候,他们喝得醉醺醺地走回家。
And it was probably, like, late on a Friday night, and they were quite drunk walking home.
他们经过警察局时,因为喝得有点多,决定开始朝警察局扔雪球。
They walked past the police station, and because they were just, you know, a bit drunk, they decided to start throwing snowballs at the police station.
他们扔雪球扔得特别开心,这真是个蠢主意,但他们玩得很尽兴。
The the they were having a lot of fun throwing snowballs at the police station, just kind of a stupid idea, really, but they were enjoying themselves doing it.
警察出来喊:别闹了。
The police came out and said, come on.
别再这样了。
Stop doing that.
别幼稚了,赶紧回家。
Just grow up and go home.
而且,据称站在安迪身后的朋友朝一名警察扔了一个雪球,雪球击中了警察的帽子。
And, apparently, Andy's friend who was standing behind him then threw a snowball at one of the policemen, and the snowball hit the policeman's hat.
帽子掉到了地上,安迪和他的朋友开始大笑,然后跑开了。
And the hat fell on the ground, and Andy and his friend started laughing, and they ran away.
警察上了车追他们,但其实没追多远,因为安迪和他朋友跑得并不远。
The police got in the car and chased them, but they didn't have to go very far because Andy and his friend hadn't run very far.
于是警察开车追上他们,把车停下,说:好了。
So the police just caught up with them in the car and stopped them and said, right.
跟我们走。
Come with us.
他们把他们带到了警察局。
And they took them to the police station.
安迪的朋友非常生气,说:我真不敢相信你们竟然这么做。
And Andy's friend was very angry saying, I can't believe you're doing this.
你们应该去抓真正的罪犯才对。
You should be out stopping real criminals.
于是他们把他的朋友关进了8号牢房,我认为那是最冷、最不舒服的牢房。
And so they put his friend in Cell Number 8, which is I think was the coldest, most uncomfortable cell.
安迪在另一个牢房过了一夜,第二天早上,他得到了一份丰盛的英式早餐,还有一杯茶,但他的朋友什么都没得到。
Andy stayed in another cell overnight, and in the morning, Andy was given breakfast, a full English breakfast with a cup of tea, but his friend didn't get anything.
就这样。
That's it.
这就是安迪的故事。
That's Andy's story.
所以现在我将重复一下安迪和我在那次对话中用到的一些表达,并向你们解释一下,然后我们继续听对话的第二部分。
So now I'm going to just repeat some of the expressions that Andy and me used in that conversation and just explain them to you, and then we'll continue and listen to the second part of the conversation.
你们可以在网页上看到我即将解释的这些表达。
You can see the expressions, that I'm about to explain on the web page.
如果你们想看到这些表达的书面形式,请访问网页:http://teacherluke.podomatic.com。
So if you want to see them written, just go to the web page, httpcolon//teacherluke.podomatic.com.
去那里。
Go there.
你可以阅读这些表达并加以学习。
You can read the expressions and study them.
我不会重复我们说过的所有内容。
I'm not gonna repeat everything that we said.
我只会说一遍这个表达,然后给你下个定义。
I'm just going to say the expression once and then give you a a definition of it.
明白吗?
Okay?
首先,安迪说,他们对这些都烂熟于心。
So first of all, Andy said, they know them by heart.
他指的是那些轶事。
He's talking about anecdotes.
当人们有一些记得很熟的轶事时,他们就对这些烂熟于心。
When people kind of have anecdotes that they remember, they know them by heart.
如果你对某事烂熟于心,就意味着你已经记住了它。
If you know something by heart, it means you you've remembered it.
你记得每一个细节。
You've remembered every detail.
所以,比如当你学英语时,你会反复背单词,直到烂熟于心。
So for example, when you're learning English, you would repeat vocabulary until you know it by heart.
这样一来,你就不用再看它了。
And that way, you don't need to read it.
它写在纸上,但你已经记住了。
It's it's written down, so you know it.
但你根本不需要再看它。
But you you don't need to read it.
它已经在你脑子里了。
It's in your head.
你已经烂熟于心。
You know it by heart.
明白吗?
Okay?
下一个是他没戴头盔。
The next one was, he didn't have a helmet.
他戴着一顶小帽子,雪球把他的帽子打掉了。
He had one of those little hats, and it knocked his hat off.
所以他讲的是警察的帽子,雪球把帽子打飞了。
So he's talking about the policeman's hat, and the snowball knocked the hat off.
雪球击中了帽子,帽子掉到了地上。
So the snowball hit the hat, and the hat fell onto the ground.
雪球把帽子打掉了。
The snowball knocked the hat off.
明白吗?
Okay?
我们开始狂笑不止。
We started laughing hysterically.
我们开始狂笑不止。
We started laughing hysterically.
所以如果你笑了,显然这意味着,对吧?
So if you laugh, obviously, that means, Right?
你笑了。
You laugh.
但如果你笑得歇斯底里,那就意味着你笑得非常疯狂,完全失控。
But if you laugh hysterically, it means you laugh, like, when you're really crazy and you just laugh in an out of control way.
我们来看看。
Let's see.
我要为你演示一下吗?
Shall I demonstrate that for you?
好的。
Okay.
我现在要为你笑得歇斯底里。
I'm gonna laugh hysterically for you now.
我可能做不到很好,但我还是会试试。
I probably can't do this very well, but I'm gonna do it anyway.
所以就会是那样。
So it'd be like that.
就像那样。
Like that.
好的。
Okay.
那听起来可能像我快疯了,但我只是在演示什么是狂笑。
That probably sounded like I was going insane, but I was just demonstrating, laughing hysterically.
好的。
Okay.
他们晚上把我们关进了牢房。
They put they put us in cells for the night.
牢房就是监狱的另一种说法,比如警察局里那种只关一个人的小监牢。
A cell is just another word for a jail, like a small jail, you know, just for one person in a police station.
安迪说,他们晚上把我们关进了牢房,我说:天哪。
Andy said, they put us in the cells for the night, and I said, blimey.
现在,'blimey'只是表达惊讶或震惊的一种方式,这是英式英语的表达,blimey
Now, blimey is just a way to express surprise or shock, and it's kind of a British English expression, blimey,
而且
and
它的本意其实是'让我瞎了'。
it means blind me, actually.
所以当你听到或看到一些令人惊叹的事情时,你会说'blimey'。
So it's like when you when you hear something or you see something that's amazing, you go, blimey.
这是一个比较古老的表达。
It's quite an old expression.
它原本的意思是'上帝让我瞎了'。
It used to mean, god blind me.
对吧?
Right?
所以,当你看到令人惊叹的事情时,你会说'上帝让我瞎了'。
So, you know, you'd say if you saw something amazing, you'd say, god blind me.
但如今,我们只是说‘blimey’,这就像另一种表达‘哇’的方式。
But these days, we just say, blimey, which is like another way to say, wow.
下一个词是:我们没有被指控任何罪名。
Next one was, we weren't charged with anything.
如果你被警察逮捕,而他们认为可以把你送上法庭,他们就会对你提出指控。
If you are arrested by the police, they and they think that they can take you to court, they will charge you with something.
明白吗?
Okay?
首先你被逮捕,这意味着你被带到警察局,然后他们对你进行讯问。
So first you get you get arrested, that means you are taken to the police station, and then they interview you.
如果他们认为你可以因为某事被送上法庭,他们就会对你提出指控。
And if they think that they can take you to court for something, they will charge you.
对吧?
Right?
比如,你可能会被指控谋杀。
So for example, you can be charged with murder.
这意味着警察认为你犯了谋杀罪,并且他们认为能够让你被定罪。
That means that the police believe that you're guilty of murder, and they think that they can get a conviction.
所以我们没有被指控任何罪名。
So we were char we weren't charged with anything.
我们收到了口头警告。
We were given a verbal caution.
口头警告就是警察说:别再这样做了。
A verbal caution is just when the police say, don't do it again.
所以他们实际上并没有指控你任何罪名。
So they don't actually charge you with anything.
他们只是给你一个警告。
They just give you a caution.
他们会说:你太淘气了。
They say, you've been very naughty.
别再这样做了。
Don't do it again.
接下来,我表现得非常悔恨、安静且十分道歉。
The next thing was I was very contrite and quiet and very apologetic.
对吧?
Right?
悔恨的意思是你感到非常抱歉或十分后悔。
Contrite means that you you feel very sorry or you're very regretful.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以安迪表现得非常悔恨、安静且十分道歉。
So Andy was very contrite and quiet and very apologetic.
‘道歉的’是形容一个人不断道歉时的形容词。
Apologetic is the ad the adjective to describe when someone is apologizing a lot.
他们非常道歉。
They are very apologetic.
所以,哦,我真的非常抱歉。
So, oh, I'm really sorry.
我很抱歉。
I'm sorry.
我不是故意的。
I didn't mean to do it.
悔恨且道歉。
Contrite and apologetic.
安迪说,我的朋友加雷斯,他变得非常愤慨和愤怒。
Andy said, my friend Gareth, he got really indignant and really angry.
愤慨只是愤怒的另一种说法。
Well, indignant is just another word for angry.
明白吗?
Okay?
愤慨。
Indignant.
愤怒。
Angry.
如果你感到愤慨,那就像是你会说:我简直不敢相信你竟然会这么做。
If you're indignant, it's kind of like you'd say, I can't believe that you're doing this.
这太恶心了。
This is disgusting.
这简直太糟糕了。
This is absolutely terrible.
所以他非常愤慨又生气。
So he was very indignant and angry.
下一个是因为他出言不逊,结果什么也没得到。
And the next one was because he was mouthing off, he didn't get anything.
所以他在谈论安迪在讲他的朋友加雷斯的事。
So he's talking about Andy is talking about his friend Gareth.
加雷斯当时在出言不逊。
Gareth was was mouthing off.
Mouthing 是动词,对应名词 mouth。
Mouthing is to mouth is, like, the verb for the the noun mouth.
所以如果你在抱怨,意思是你在发牢骚、生气,说很多愤怒的话。
So if you're mouthing off, it means you're complaining, being angry, saying a lot of angry things.
比如,我简直不敢相信你居然这么做。
So for example, I can't believe you're doing this.
这太恶心了。
This is disgusting.
他当时在发牢骚。
He was mouthing off.
所以你可以这么说,就是大声抱怨。
So complaining loudly, you could say.
明白吗?
Alright?
因为他发牢骚,所以什么都没得到。
Because he was mouthing off, he didn't get anything.
他连早餐都没吃到。
He didn't get any breakfast.
他们只是轻描淡写地警告了我们一下。
They released us with a slap on the wrist.
手腕是你手臂的一部分,比如说,位于手臂和手之间。
So your wrist is the part of your arm, let's say, between your arm and your hand.
这就是你的手腕。
That's your wrist.
如果你受到一记手腕的拍打,那就像是这样。
And if you get a slap on the wrist, it's like like that.
比如小时候,如果你试图偷东西,像从桌上偷食物,你妈妈可能会拍一下你的手或手腕,说:别这样。
You know, like, for example, if as a child, if you try to steal something, like if you try and steal some food from the table and your mother slaps your hand or slaps your wrist and says, stop it.
就像这样。
Like that.
所以,一记手腕的拍打。
So a slap on the wrist.
这就像一种小小的惩罚。
It's like a little it's like a, you know, just a small punishment.
警察只是给了他们一个轻微的警告。
And the police gave them a slap on the wrist.
他们实际上并没有以犯罪罪名起诉他们。
They didn't actually charge them with a crime.
他们只是说,你们太淘气了。
They just said, you've been very naughty.
别再这样做了。
Don't do it again.
对吧?
Right?
所以警察并没有真的打他们的手腕,而是通过让他们在牢房里过夜来惩罚他们。
So the police didn't actually physically slap their wrists, but they did it by putting them in the jail cells overnight.
好的。
Okay.
在对话的最后,我和安迪说了几个关于‘snow’这个词的很糟糕的笑话。
And then at the end of the conversation there, let's see, Andy and I said a couple of really bad jokes on the word snow.
我说:‘雪罪,警官。’
I said, snow crime, officer.
雪罪。
Snow crime.
这只是一个笑话,因为听起来像是‘无罪’。
And that's just a joke because it sounds like it's no crime.
这是无罪,或者说是无罪,或者是雪罪。
It is no crime or it's no crime or snow crime.
雪罪。
Snow crime.
太好笑了。
Hilarious.
然后安迪说:‘雪笑话,卢克。’
And then Andy said, snow joke, Luke.
雪笑话。
Snow joke.
这不是笑话,卢克。
It's no joke, Luke.
雪笑话。
Snow joke.
是的。
Yeah.
太棒了。
Brilliant.
不是吗?
Isn't it?
简直太好笑了。
Just hilarious.
英国人的幽默感,正是英国人幽默感的完美体现。
The the British sense of humor, they're just a perfect example of the British sense of humor.
太惊人了。
Amazing.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
对。
Right.
接下来,你将听到这段对话的其余部分,也就是第二部分,我会讲一个我年轻时与警察打交道的小小经历。
Next, you're going to hear the rest or the the second part of the conversation, and this is where I tell a little anecdote about a kind of experience that I had with the police when I was younger.
所以,这就是了。
So here it is.
那你呢?
What about you then?
说到被逮捕这件事,你知道,我自认为是个守法的公民,总体来说是这样的。
That's well, so on the subject of being arrested, you know, I I consider myself to be a law abiding citizen Of generally speaking.
是的。
Yeah.
当然,我过去也有些小过失。
You know, with a with a few minor indiscretions under my belt.
但总体而言,我是个诚实守法的人。
But generally, I'm quite a sort of, you know, an honest law abiding person.
但当我12岁的时候,我确实和警察有过一次冲突。
But when I was when I was 12, I I did have a run-in with the police.
好的。
Alright.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道,我并不是那种调皮的孩子。
I you know, I wasn't like a a naughty child.
我不是坏孩子,也不是那种人。
I wasn't a bad boy or anything like that.
我是个挺乖的小孩。
I was quite a nice little kid.
但当时我和我哥哥都非常喜欢滑板。
And but my brother and I were both very into skateboarding at the time.
是的。
Yeah.
对吧?
Right?
特别是我哥哥,他比我大两岁。
Particularly my brother, who's two years older than me.
所以他当时14岁。
So he was 14.
你知道的,他就是比我大两岁,我觉得。
You know, he was he was basically two years older than me, I think.
嗯。
Mhmm.
对吧?
Right?
所以他特别喜欢滑板。
And so he was really into skating.
嗯。
Mhmm.
他以前常去伯明翰,因为那时候我们住在伯明翰。
And we he used to go into Birmingham because we lived in Birmingham at the time.
所以他经常去伯明翰市中心——那是个大城市,和一群滑板朋友一起滑板。
So he used to go into the center of Birmingham, which is kind of like this big city, and go skateboarding with all these skater friends.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
对。
Yeah.
是在市中心吗?
Is it sort of in the right in the center?
是在圣安妮广场之类的那个地方吗?
In the is it was it St Anne's Square or something like that?
其实有几个不同的地方可以滑板。
There's well, there's there's a few different spots where you can go skateboarding.
但我们去的是一个叫弗莱彻步道的地方,好吧。
But we went to a place called Fletcher's Walk Okay.
那是一个室内的购物区。
Which is a kind of indoor shopping precinct.
莉莉,那里不应该滑滑板。
Shouldn't be skateboarding in there, Lily.
那里不应该滑滑板。
Shouldn't be skateboarding in there.
没错。
Exactly.
但你知道,那地方真的很安静。
But, you know, it's a very quiet place, really.
是的。
Yeah.
那里人也不多。
And not many people were there.
不过,我们当时就在那里滑滑板,有我哥哥和他所有的滑板朋友,还有我,一个才12岁的小孩,只是跟着他们混,陪他们玩。
But anyway, we we were skateboarding in there and it was like my brother and all his skateboarding friends and me, the little 12 year old kid who was just kind of going along just to hang out with all the older skateboarders.
用那细嫩的小嗓音。
With the squeaky little voice.
没错。
That's right.
我当时就带着我的小滑板。
I was like with I my little hug you?
我带着我的小滑板四处滑行,有点紧张,有点害怕那些大男孩,但 nevertheless,过得很有趣。
I was like with my little skateboard skating around, you know, slightly nervous, slightly scared of the older boys, but nevertheless, you know, having an interesting time.
那你觉得自己很酷吗?
Did you did you think you were cool, though?
没有。
No.
我觉得自己一点都不酷。
I didn't think I was cool.
我感觉很别扭。
I I felt quite awkward
真的吗?
Really?
大多数时候都是,因为其他孩子都很酷。
Most of the time because, you know, all the other kids were cool.
是的。
Mhmm.
我觉得自己一点都不酷。
And I was like, I don't feel cool.
我滑冰不太行。
I'm not very good at skating.
我觉得自己像个傻瓜,因为我都不会做这个。
And I feel like an idiot because I can't do this.
但我还是想待在这儿,因为你得学会。
But I but I want to be here because you've got to learn.
你得想办法学会变得酷起来。
You've got to learn to be cool somehow.
总得有个开始吧。
It's got to start somewhere.
是的。
Yeah.
本来打算和那些大孩子一起玩。
Was gonna hang out with the big boys.
他们才14岁,但对我来说简直像成年人一样。
They were only 14 but they felt like virtually like adults to me.
大孩子。
Big boys.
对。
Yeah.
总之,你知道的,对吧?
Anyway anyway, right?
所以长话短说。
So cut cut a long story short.
我们正在弗莱彻小道上悠闲地滑冰,突然一辆警察装甲车出现了。
Were skating innocently in Fletcher's Walk, and suddenly a police riot van turned up.
整整一辆
A whole A
大车。
big van.
整整一辆装甲车。
A whole riot van.
这就像一辆巨大的、带有防护装置的装甲车,你知道的,它停在了那里。
This is like a big van with like protection, you know, like an armored van pulled up.
车门一打开,一大堆警察从车里蜂拥而出,简直就像一场有组织的袭击。
And the door swung open and just loads of police all just piled out of this van and just sort of it's like an organized attack.
钳形攻势。
A pincer movement.
是的。
Yeah.
突然间,所有警察都围在了我们周围。
And they just suddenly, all these police were just all around us.
所有的滑板手都四散逃跑。
And all the skaters just ran.
每个人都朝不同方向逃窜。
Everyone just ran in different directions.
我手里还夹着滑板,孤零零地留在原地。
And I was left kind of with my skateboard under my arm.
就你一个人?
Just you?
对,就我一个,我当时吓得四处张望,最后也决定跑一下,不过心不在焉的,因为我不知道该往哪儿跑。
Yeah, just me and I was like you know looking around all scared and I decided to make a run for it too kind of half heartedly because I thought I don't know where I'm gonna run to.
于是我漫不经心地朝楼梯走去,下一秒,一只大手搭上了我的肩膀——一个满身毛发的警察一把抓住我,桑尼说:‘你哪儿也别想去。’
So I just sort of casually ran towards the stairs and next thing you know big hand on my shoulder, a big hairy policeman's hand grabbed my shoulder and I Sonny said you're not going anywhere.
他冲我说:‘你被捕了,过来!’
He's like you're nicked, Come here.
我环顾四周,哭了起来,因为实在太难过了。
And I looked round and I was crying you know because I was so upset.
我抬头看着他,眼里满是泪水。
And I looked up at him with these tears in my eyes.
你知道的,我的嘴唇一直在颤抖。
You know just with my my lip trembling.
因为我想,当你12岁的时候,你可能会觉得我要永远进监狱了。
Because I guess you know I guess when you're 12 years old you probably think I'm gonna go to jail forever.
是的。
Yeah.
我再也见不到我的父母了。
I'm never gonna see my parents again.
我当时甚至无法正常思考。
I I wasn't even I wasn't even capable of thinking straight.
那感觉更像是,我只是受到了深深的创伤。
It was more just like, you know, I just was really deeply traumatized.
哦,不。
Oh, no.
没错。
That's right.
我进入了一种震惊状态。
I went into sort of a state of shock.
我甚至都跑不动了。
I couldn't even run.
下一刻,警察的手搭在了我的肩膀上,我想,我的所有基本能力——思考、逃跑——全都停止了。
Next thing you know, policeman's hand on my shoulder and I thought, you know, all my primary sort of, you know, ability to think, ability to run, all those things just stopped.
而且
And
你有在发抖吗?
Were were were you shaking?
你有在发抖吗?
Were you shaking?
我在发抖。
I was shaking.
我的膝盖在发抖。
My knees were shaking.
我在哭。
I was crying.
我说话都说不清楚。
I couldn't speak straight.
这段经历让我非常、非常难过。
I was deeply, deeply upset by the experience.
是的。
Yeah.
警察看着我,显然对我感到同情,他跟我说:‘好了,Sunny,我放你走吧。’他是个非常友善、开朗的警察。
And the police officer looked at me and obviously felt pity towards me and he said to me oh alright Sunny I'll let you go and he was a very friendly kind of jolly kind of policeman.
他有礼貌吗?
Is he polite?
是的,他让我走了,我本可以独自晃到伯明翰市中心。
Yeah and he let me go and I I could have wandered off into the center of Birmingham.
对。
Yeah.
那其实更糟,因为我一个人在那儿,是的。
And that was actually worse because I was on my own Yeah.
在市中心。
In the center of town.
我不知道自己在哪,也不知道怎么回去。
I didn't know where I was, how to get back.
这根本算不上负责任的执法。
I didn't responsible policing.
是的。
Yeah.
我不知道我哥哥在哪,也不认识他所有的朋友。
I didn't know where my brother was or all of his friends.
所以你去砸窗户了,还是又被抓了?
So Did
你去把窗户砸了,还是又被逮捕了?
you go and smash the windows or you get arrested again?
我只是回到了所有警察把滑板手们排成一排靠墙的地方。
Well, I just went back to where all the police had lined all the skateboarders up against the wall.
他们抓到人了吗?
Did they catch?
我就走过去,说:不好意思。
And I just turned up and I was like, excuse me.
你们也逮捕我吧,可以吗?
Can you arrest me as well, please?
我害怕。
I'm scared.
你知道的?
You know?
于是他们说,好吧。
And so they they're like, alright.
过来这里。
Come over here.
我就站到了那些滑板手的队伍里。
And I kind of stood in line with all these skaters.
他们
Did
给你戴手铐了吗?
they cuff you?
他们没给我们戴手铐。
They didn't cuff us.
没有。
No.
他们也没做其他那些事,就是冲我们大喊大叫。
They didn't kind of do any of that, but they just they basically shouted at us.
他们说:你们这些滑板客。
They're like, you skaters.
总是在这儿。
Always here.
制造太多噪音。
Making a lot of noise.
破坏公共财产。
Damaging public property.
你们知道,我们不会逮捕你们,因为从法律上讲我们没这个权力,但我们必须给你们一个严厉的口头警告。
This you know, we're not arresting you because legally, we can't, but we're giving you a strong verbal caution.
我要你们把你们的名字和电话号码都写在这张纸上,因为我们会亲自给你们父母打电话。
And I want you to write all your your names and your telephone numbers down on this piece of paper because we're gonna personally call your parents.
天哪。
Blimey.
你知道的?
You know?
所以,最糟糕的就是他们会打电话给我们的父母。
And so that was the worst thing that they were gonna call our parents.
他们打了么?
Did they?
嗯,我和我哥哥回家后,不得不承认了这件事。
Well, yeah, we went my brother and I went home, admitted it because we had to.
是的。
Yeah.
我们向父母坦白了,但他们其实很通情达理。
Admitted it to the parents, and they were actually really nice about it.
对。
Yeah.
当警察打电话来时,我爸爸非常生气。
And when the police phoned, my dad got really angry
是吗?
Did he?
和警察一起。
With the police.
他好像在说,你们这样对待这些孩子真是太糟糕了。
It's like he was saying stuff like, I think it's terrible the way you've treated these children.
他们只是孩子。
They're just children.
你怎么敢对他们这么生气、这么咄咄逼人?
How, you know, how dare you be so angry and aggressive with them?
所以在
And so in the
你们那边对他们可是大发雷霆了
Your end went but wild on their
屁股上。
asses.
我爸爸一点都没留情。
My dad just didn't hold back.
你知道吗?
You know?
天哪。
Jeez.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
所以最后我觉得自己得到了平反,因为我的父亲保护了我,站出来为我对抗那支简直残暴的西米德兰兹警察。
So I felt in the end, I felt vindicated because my father protected me, stood up for me against the frankly brutal West Midlands Police.
压迫性的警察体制。
Abress oppressive police regime.
我真希望当时他们只是警告我一下。
I wish I'd just been given a warning.
我,你知道的,我从来没告诉过我爸爸。
I'd you know, I I never told my dad.
但他还是不知道
Still He doesn't know
关于这件事。
about it.
他不知道吗?
Doesn't he?
嗯,现在他知道了。
Well, he does now.
现在他知道了。
He does now.
每个人都听这个播客。
Everyone listens to this podcast.
对不起,爸爸。
Sorry, dad.
他实际上可能支持警察。
He probably agree with the police, actually.
他可能觉得,你知道的,他会说,他们做了正确的事。
He probably thought you know, he'd probably say, they did the right thing.
他们本该让你在里面多待一会儿。
They should have left you in there for longer.
我一直觉得,你知道的,你有犯罪的潜质和犯罪倾向。
I've always thought that, you know, you have criminal criminal potential criminal tendencies.
谢谢,兄弟。
Thanks, man.
谢谢。
Thanks.
我很感激。
I appreciate that.
我很感激。
I appreciate that.
好的。
Alright.
所以是关于犯罪的趣闻。
So crime anecdotes.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
那就是我的故事。
So that was my story.
让我解释一下你听到安迪和我使用的某些词汇。
And let me explain some of the vocabulary that you heard Andy and me using.
首先,我说过,我认为自己是一个守法公民。
So first of all, I said, I consider myself to be a law abiding citizen.
守法公民,就是指遵守法律的社会成员。
A law abiding citizen, that's a a member of society who follows the law.
所以不违法的人,就是守法公民。
So someone who doesn't break the law, a law abiding citizen.
如果你遵守法律,就意味着你遵从法律。
If you abide by the law, it means you follow the law.
你不会去违反它。
You don't break it.
因此,我认为自己是个守法公民,只是过去有过一些小小的过失。
So I consider myself to be a law abiding citizen with a few minor indiscretions under my belt.
如果你有一些小过失,那就像是轻微的犯罪,有点像轻微的违法行为。
So if you have, well, a minor indiscretion, that means like a small crime, like, you know, a bit like a petty crime.
小过失就是你违反法律时发生的小事。
A minor indiscretion would be a a small case of when you broke the law.
明白吗?
Okay?
在我经历中,这指的是我的个人经历。
Under my belt, this means in my experience.
是的
Yeah.
如果某事在你身上,意思是它发生在你的生活中。
If it's under your belt, it means you've done it in your life.
所以,我身上有几件轻微的不当行为,意思是我在过去或生活中做过几件小的违法事情。
So a few minor a few minor indiscretions under my belt means that, you know, I've done a few little criminal things in my past or in my life.
然后我说,但总体而言,我是个相当诚实、守法的人。
And then I said, but genuine generally, I'm quite an honest law abiding person.
对吧?
Right?
我12岁的时候,确实和警察有过一次冲突。
When I was 12, I did have a run-in with the police.
和警察发生冲突的意思是,我们来看一下。
To have a run-in with the police means that you let's see.
你和警察有某种接触,通常是因为你做了错事,他们要么逮捕你,要么拦下你并和你谈话,这就是和警察发生冲突。
You kind of you have some kind of contact with the police, usually because they you know, you do something wrong and they they either arrest you or stop you and talk to you about something to have a run-in with the police.
你基本上是有了某种与警察打交道的经历,通常是负面的,这就是与警察发生冲突的意思。
You kind of have some experience where you meet the police, usually in a negative way, to have a run-in with the police.
接下来是,我并不是一个调皮的孩子。
Next one was, I wasn't a naughty child.
调皮就是行为不端的意思。
Naughty just means badly behaved.
对吧?
Right?
所以是调皮。
So naughty.
所以我并不是一个调皮的孩子。
So I wasn't a naughty child.
我小时候一般都很乖。
I was quite a well behaved child, generally.
我和我弟弟都非常喜欢滑板。
My brother and I were very into skateboarding.
对某事感兴趣就是指你喜欢它,并且享受做它。
To be into something just means that you you like it and you enjoy doing it.
对吧?
Right?
如果你记得我的视频,你可以在YouTube上看到,那个视频叫《表达我喜欢的16种方式》,我在那个视频里谈到了‘对某事感兴趣’这个表达。
If you remember my video, which you can see on YouTube, which is called 16 ways to say I like it, I talk about that expression in that video, to be into something.
明白吗?
Okay?
我哥哥和我都非常热衷于滑板。
My brother and I were very into skateboarding.
是的。
Yeah.
下一个是一个室内的购物区。
Next one is an indoor shopping precinct.
‘区’只是指一个中心的另一种说法。
A precinct is just another word for, like, a a center.
在这种情况下,就是购物中心、购物区。
In this case, a shopping center, a shopping precinct.
它有点像一栋楼或楼房的一部分,里面有很多商店,也就是室内购物区。
It's kind of a, you know, a building or part of a building where you have lots of shops indoors, an indoor shopping precinct.
在美国,他们称之为商场。
In America, they call it a mall or a mall.
购物商场。
Shopping mall.
我们称之为购物中心或购物区。
We call it a shopping center or a shopping precinct.
我大部分时间都感觉很尴尬。
I felt quite awkward most of the time.
尴尬的意思就是有点难为情和不舒服。
Awkward just means kind of embarrassed and uncomfortable.
对吧?
Right?
然后我说,总之,对吧。
And then I said, anyway, right.
长话短说。
Cut a long story short.
我在上一期播客里解释过这个表达。
And I explained that expression in the last podcast.
‘长话短说’是一个我们讲故事时常用的表达,意思是想跳过细节,直接讲重点,虽然还有很多细节,但我只想快速进入故事的核心部分。
To cut a long story short is an expression that we use when we're telling a story, but we want to just try and, you know, move on and try and tell the story more quickly by, you know, saying there are more details to this story, but I'm just going to move move on and get to the main parts of the story.
所以,‘长话短说’是个常用表达。
So to cut a long story short, common expression.
接下来,一辆警察防暴车突然出现了。
Next one is, suddenly, a police riot van turned up.
防暴车是一种警车,类似于大型警用卡车,用于发生骚乱时。
A riot van is a a police van, like a police car, big police car, which they use if there's a riot.
骚乱是指大规模的、常常带有暴力性质的公众示威。
A riot is a big, often violent public demonstration.
所以当街上有很多很多人,他们开始砸东西、破坏东西、摧毁东西,通常是因为对政府的某个决定感到不满。
So it's like when there's lots and lots of people in the street and they start smashing things, breaking things, destroying things, usually because they're unhappy about, you know, some decision by the government or something.
暴乱。
A riot.
警用防暴车就像一辆大型汽车,警察用它来应对暴乱,车身经过加固和防护,即使暴徒攻击车辆,车也不会受损,车内的警察也能得到保护。
And a riot van is like a big car in which the police a big car which the police use, and it's it's protected and armored so that if the rioters attack the van, the van won't be damaged, and the police will be safe inside.
所以,他们使用防暴车来控制大规模的公共暴力事件,比如暴乱。
So, you know, they use riot vans for controlling big public, like, violent situations, riots.
一辆防暴车出现了。
And a riot van turned up.
‘出现’的意思就是到达。
Well, turned up means arrived.
所以‘一辆大型防暴车——警用防暴车出现了’,意思就是突然间这辆大型警车到了。
So a big riot van a police riot van turned up just means that suddenly this big police car arrived.
这场景相当吓人,因为这种警车通常只在发生公共骚乱时才会使用。
And it was quite frightening because this is the kind of police car that they use in a, like, you know, public disorder.
好的。
Okay.
所以,好吧,一辆防护车,一辆装甲车。
So, okay, a protected van, an armored van.
我说,一辆类似装甲车的车停了下来。
I said, a a sort of armored van pulled up.
嗯,‘pull up’的意思是车基本上停了下来。
Well, pull to pull up, that's when a basically, a car or a vehicle kind of stops.
所以,你知道,车开过来然后停住了。
So, you know, the car kind of goes and stops.
车停了下来。
The car pulled up.
车门打开了。
The doors swung open.
‘swung’是‘swing’的过去式,门打开时就是这么动的。
So swung is the past form of swing, and that's what doors do when they when they open.
它们会突然打开。
They they swing open.
门突然打开,许多警察蜂拥而出。
The doors swung open and lots of police all piled out.
所以如果警察从一辆面包车里蜂拥而出,意思是他们全部同时迅速地从车里冲出来。
So if the police pile out of a van, it means they come out of the van altogether, all at the same time, quite quickly.
你可以想象,面包车的门打开,所有警察迅速涌出,警察们蜂拥而出。
If you can imagine the doors of the van opening and all the police coming out kind of quickly, the police piled out of the van.
这就像一场有组织的袭击。
It was like an organized attack.
安迪说这是一个钳形攻势。
And Andy said a pincer movement.
钳形攻势。
A pincer movement.
这是一种……让我想想。
That's a kind of let's see.
就像军队会采取的行动。
Like the movement that an army would make.
一种军事战术,两支部队从不同侧面发起进攻。
A military movement where two groups of soldiers attack from different sides.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以中间有一支军队,另一支军队从两侧发起攻击。
So there's like one army in the middle and that the the other army attack from both sides.
这叫做钳形攻势。
It's called a pincer movement.
明白吗?
Okay?
我说,我决定逃跑。
I said, I decided to make a run for it.
如果你选择逃跑,就意味着你试图跑掉,这就是‘逃跑’的意思。
If you make a run for it, it means you you try to run away, to make a run for it.
我说,我决定逃跑,但有点心不在焉。
I said, I've decided to make a run for it kind of half heartedly.
如果你心不在焉地做某事,意思是你的热情或努力都不够充分。
If you do something half heartedly, it means you don't do it with with total enthusiasm or with total effort.
你只是带着一半的热情或一半的努力去做。
You kind of do it with half enthusiasm or half effort.
但你知道,我决定心不在焉地逃跑,因为我知道自己根本逃不掉。
But, you know, I decided to run away from the police half heartedly because I knew that really I couldn't escape.
所以我跑了几步,但没怎么使劲,也不清楚该往哪儿跑,所以只是心不在焉地跑了一下。
So I kind of ran, but not very quickly, And I didn't really know where to run, so I did it half heartedly.
我说我只是随便朝楼梯走去,然后一只大手搭在了我的肩膀上。
Said I just casually ran towards the stairs, and then there was a big hand on my shoulder.
警察说:你被抓了。
The policeman said, you're nicked.
你被抓了。
You're nicked.
这是一种俚语,意思是被逮捕了。
And this is kind of slang word, and it means you're arrested.
不过这是一种俚语。
It's a slang word though.
‘Nicked’ 就是被逮捕的意思。
Nicked means arrested.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以这是警察常说的一种典型说法,比如:喂,你被逮住了。
So it's a typical thing that we the policemen are said to say, you know, oi, you're nicked.
所以这只是‘你被逮捕了’的俚语表达。
So it's just slang for you're arrested.
警察现在实际上已经不说‘你被nick了’了。
The police don't actually say you're nicked anymore.
我觉得他们以前可能这么说,但现在真的不这么说了。
I think maybe they used to say that, but they don't say it anymore really.
我抬头看着他,眼里含着泪水,嘴唇在颤抖。
I looked up at him with tears in my eyes and my lip trembling.
你知道你的嘴唇是怎么回事吗?
Well, you know what your lips are.
对吧?
Right?
这些才是正确的。
These are the right.
你用它们来接吻。
You use them to kiss with.
对吧?
Right?
如果你的嘴唇在颤抖,那就意味着它在抖动。
If your lip is trembling, it means your lip is, like, shaking.
当你非常紧张或非常难过时,嘴唇就会这样抖动。
It happens when you're very nervous or when you're very upset, and your lip kind of shakes.
是吗?
Yeah?
有点像当你非常冷的时候,你的整个身体会发抖,或者你的手、全身都会颤抖。
A bit like when you're very cold, your your whole bodies tremble or your hand your whole body trembles or your hands tremble.
当你非常难过、哭泣时,你的嘴唇也会颤抖。
Well, when you're very upset, crying, your lip trembles as well.
我当时甚至无法正常思考。
I wasn't even capable of thinking straight.
‘Capable’ 意思是有能力做某事。
Capable means able to do it.
所以我说我无法正常思考,就是说我无法清晰地思考。
So I wasn't capable of thinking straight just means I wasn't able to think clearly.
我当时无法正常思考。
I wasn't capable of thinking straight.
我当时深受创伤。
I was just really deeply traumatized.
创伤的意思是,让你看看。
Traumatized means that you were let's see.
当一些非常可怕的事情发生在你身上,你被严重地影响了,被恐惧深深影响时,你就受到了严重的创伤。
When when something really frightening happens to you and you're sort of very badly affected by it, very badly affected by fear, you're deeply traumatized.
明白吗?
Okay?
这是一种,嗯,一种……
It's a it's a yeah.
如果一些非常糟糕的事情发生在你身上,比如你遭遇了一场严重的事故,或者发生了什么非常可怕、令人恐惧的事情,之后你仍然会感到非常不安和震惊。
If something like really terrible happens to you, like, for example, if you have a a very bad accident or something very scary or frightening happens to you, afterwards, you still feel very upset and shocked.
那是因为你受到了创伤。
That's because you're traumatized.
我们用‘创伤’这个词来指那些非常糟糕、令人恐惧的事件,它们会在之后对你产生负面影响。
We use the word trauma to mean, like, a very bad frightening thing which has a negative effect on you afterwards.
西格蒙德·弗洛伊德曾经谈论过创伤,那些都是你童年时经历的糟糕事情,它们会在很大程度上影响你一生的性格。
Sigmund Freud used to talk about trauma, and these were the kind of bad things that happened to you as a child, which kind of have a big effect on your personality for the rest of your life.
这些就是创伤。
Those are traumas.
我不觉得我与警察的经历对我产生了太大影响,但我不确定。
I don't think my experience with the police really affected me that much, but I don't know.
也许现在我因为年轻时经历的创伤,对法律有了一点更多的尊重。
Maybe maybe now I I kind of respect the the law a little bit more because of the trauma I experienced when I was younger.
谁知道呢?
Who knows?
不管怎样,我进入了一种……我进入了一种休克状态。
Anyway, I went into a sort I went into a sort of state of shock.
所以是一种休克状态。
So a state of shock.
这意味着一种休克状态,也就是一种受惊的状态,基本上是这样。
That means a condition of shock, like a a shocked condition, basically.
一种休克状态。
A state of shock.
我回过神来,警察的手已经搭在我肩膀上。
Next thing I know, policeman's hand on my shoulder.
然后我说,警察看着我,显得很同情。
Then I said, the policeman looked at me and felt pity.
同情。
Pity.
那就是当你为某人感到非常难过的时候。
That's when you feel really sorry for someone.
你会对它们感到同情。
You feel pity for them.
对吧?
Right?
所以他看着我。
So he looked at me.
我当时只是一个12岁的孩子。
I was just as, you know, 12 year old child.
我在哭。
I was crying.
我的嘴唇在颤抖,那个警察一看,这孩子真可怜。
My lip was trembling, and the policeman, oh, look at this poor kid.
他对我感到同情。
He felt pity towards me.
对吧?
Right?
他说:好吧,桑尼。
He said, alright, Sunny.
我放你走。
I'll let you go.
对。
Right.
所以放某人走,意思是让他们获得自由。
So to let someone go means to make you know, to allow them to be free.
对吧?
Right?
放他们走。
To let them go.
让他们自由离开。
To let them go free.
这个解释很好,对吧?
That was a good explanation, wasn't it?
然后我说,他是个非常友善、有点开朗的警察。
Then I said, he was a very friendly, kind of jolly kind of policeman.
开朗的意思是有点快乐又友善,有点像圣诞老人。
Jolly means kind of happy and friendly, a bit like father Christmas.
圣诞老人就是开朗的,你知道的,因为他会说:‘哦,哦,哦,孩子们好啊。’
Santa Claus is jolly, you know, because he goes, oh, oh, oh, hello children.
就是那种非常友善、快乐、开朗的样子。
You know, kind of very friendly, happy jolly.
所以这个警察很随和,放我走了。
So this guy was a jolly policeman and he let me go.
好的,Sunny。
Okay, Sunny.
你可以走了。
You can go.
去吧。
Go on.
我放你走。
I'll let you go.
就是这种事。
That kind of thing.
他很随和。
He was jolly.
然后Andy问,他们给你戴手铐了吗?
Then Andy said, did they cuff you?
我说,他们没给我们戴手铐。
And I said, they didn't cuff us.
没有。
No.
给某人戴手铐的意思是用 handcuffs 把人铐起来。
To cuff someone means to put someone in handcuffs.
手铐就是那种金属制品,警察在逮捕你时会套在你的手腕上,让你不能动双手。
Handcuffs are those, like, it's metal things that the police put around your wrists so that you can't move your hands when they arrest you.
手铐。
Handcuffs.
所以他们给你戴手铐了吗?
So did they cuff you?
意思是他们给你戴上手铐了吗?
Means did they put you in handcuffs?
我们来看看。
Let's see.
我觉得你们对待这些孩子的方式太糟糕了。
I think it's terrible the way you've treated these children.
我爸爸在电话里对警察说了这句话。
That's what my dad said to the police officer on the telephone.
你们对待这些孩子的方式太糟糕了。
It's terrible the way you've treated these children.
以某种方式对待某人,意思是用某种方式对待对方。
To treat someone, in some way means to kind of, act in some way towards someone.
如果你能好好对待某人,那就意味着你对那个人非常友善、慷慨、有礼貌,你善待他们。
So if you can treat someone well, that means you're very nice to that person, you're generous towards them, friendly, you treat them well.
但如果你对待某人很糟糕,那就意味着你非常粗鲁、具有攻击性、不友善,对待他们很恶劣。
But if you treat someone badly, it means you're kind of very rude, very aggressive with them, very unkind, treat them badly.
在这种情况下,我爸爸对警察很生气,因为他觉得:你们对待这些孩子太差了,或者说我觉得你们对待这些孩子的方式太糟糕了。
So in this case, my dad was angry with the police officer because he said, you've treated these kids really badly or I think it's terrible the way you treated these kids.
对吧?
Right?
所以这就是以某种方式对待某人。
So that's to treat someone in some way.
他还说了什么?
What else did he say?
你怎敢?
How dare you?
你怎敢这么生气和具有攻击性?
How dare you be so angry and aggressive?
“你怎敢”是另一种表达你对某人所作所为愤怒抱怨的方式。
How dare you is another way in which you angrily complain about something that someone has done.
如果你觉得他们做的事完全不可接受,你可以说‘你怎敢?’
If you think that something they've done is completely unacceptable, you can say, how dare you?
所以在这个情况下,你怎敢这么生气和具有攻击性?
So in this case, how dare you be so angry and aggressive?
然后安迪说,你爸简直跟他们大闹了一场。
And then Andy said, your dad went buck wild on their asses.
这仅仅是一种你可能在美国听到的、有点荒谬的表达方式。
And that's just a kind of, like, ridiculous expression that you might hear in America or something.
去发疯只是意味着变得疯狂。
To go buck wild just means to go crazy.
对某人的屁股发疯,意思是向某人疯狂地发泄情绪。
And to go buck wild on someone's ass means to to kind of go crazy towards someone.
在这种情况下,就是对某人变得愤怒且具有攻击性,对他们的屁股发疯。
In this case, to be kind of angry and aggressive with someone, to go buck wild on on their ass.
现在,你的屁股显然指的是你的臀部,也就是你坐着的那部分身体。
Now your ass is obviously your bottom, the the part of your body that you sit on.
但在美式俚语中,某人的屁股也可以仅仅指代那个人。
But in American slang, someone's ass also can just mean a person.
对吧?
Right?
所以如果你对某人的屁股发疯,意思就是对那个人发疯。
So if you go crazy on someone's ass, it just means you go crazy on on that person.
对吧?
Right?
所以安迪说那话其实是开玩笑。
So Andy said it as a kind of joke, really.
只是用美国俚语来开玩笑而已。
Just using American slang just to as a joke, really.
我说,是的,我爸爸可没留情。
And I said, yeah, my dad didn't hold back.
如果你留情,意思是控制自己。
If you hold back, it means you kind of let's see, control yourself.
管住自己。
Keep yourself under control.
不要把你心里想的全部说出来。
Don't say everything that you you have in your mind.
只是稍微约束一下自己。
You just kind of keep yourself controlled.
我说我爸爸从不克制,所以他通过电话对警察非常生气。
And I said my dad didn't hold back, so he kind of got quite angry with the police over the telephone.
然后我说,最后我觉得自己得到了澄清。
And then I said, in the end, I felt vindicated.
对吧?
Right?
所以是澄清。
So vindicated.
那是什么意思?
What does that mean?
意思是你可以摆脱任何罪责。
Well, it means that you're clear of any guilt.
也就是说你变得无罪了。
So it means that you you you become not guilty.
对吧?
Right?
所以当我爸爸为我对抗警察时,我感到自己清白了。
So when my dad, you know, defended me against the police, I felt vindicated.
我觉得自己不再有罪了。
I felt that I wasn't guilty anymore.
明白吗?
Okay?
我父亲为我挺身而出。
My father stood up for me.
为某人挺身而出,意味着支持、辩护或保护某人,特别是通过说话来表达。
To stand up for someone means to kind of support or defend or protect someone, particularly by saying something.
比如,我爸爸说:不。
Like, my dad said, no.
我的孩子没做错任何事。
My kids didn't do anything wrong.
他们只是,你知道的,在玩而已。
They were just, you know, having fun.
所以我爸为我挺身而出。
So my dad stood up for me.
他为我辩护。
He defended me.
对吧?
Right?
他为我对抗残暴的西米德兰兹警察。
He he defended me against the brutal West Midlands Police.
现在,‘残暴’的意思是残酷、严厉、具有攻击性、不友善。
Now brutal just means kind of cruel, harsh, aggressive, unkind.
而且,我这么说其实是在开玩笑,因为说西米德兰兹警察残暴简直成了陈词滥调。
And, again, I'm saying that as a joke, really, because it's it's kind of a cliche that you say that the West Midlands Police are brutal.
因为我觉得,二十年前、三十年前,西米德兰兹警察——也就是英国某个地区的警察——确实相当残暴。
Because I think, you know, twenty years ago, thirty years ago, the West Midlands the West Midlands Police, that's the police in a particular area in The UK, the West Midlands Police, they they were quite brutal.
他们对待犯罪嫌疑人非常严厉且暴力。
They were quite tough and violent with with, like, criminal suspects.
我不认为他们现在还那么残暴,但他们过去确实以对犯罪嫌疑人极其残暴而闻名。
I don't think they are so brutal anymore, but they they used to be quite famously brutal with criminal suspects.
所以我才说,我爸爸为我辩护,对抗残暴的西米德兰兹警察。
So I said that my dad defended me against the brutal West Midlands police.
对吧?
Right?
安迪说,是的,一个压迫性的警察体制。
Andy said, yeah, an oppressive police regime.
压迫性。
Oppressive.
‘压迫性’是一个形容词,用于描述政府、国家或警察特别试图控制人民的情况。
Oppressive is an adjective to use when particularly the the government or the state or the police try to control people.
你可以用‘压迫性’来形容他们。
You can then describe them as oppressive.
他们就是这样把人们压制住的。
So they they they keep that they keep them down.
对吧?
Right?
压制人民。
Keep the people down.
阻止人民获得自由。
So prevent the people from being free.
他们是压迫性的。
They are oppressive.
然后我对安迪说:安迪,我一直觉得你有潜在的犯罪倾向。
And then I said to Andy, Andy, I always I've always thought that you had potential criminal tendencies.
所以如果你有犯罪倾向,就意味着你时不时可能会做些犯罪的事。
So if you have criminal tendencies, that means that you have let's see, that you might do criminal things from time to time.
比如,犯罪的习惯。
So, like, criminal habits.
潜在的犯罪倾向意味着你可能是那种有犯罪习惯的人。
Potential criminal tendencies means that you might be the sort of person who has criminal habits.
好的。
Okay.
我正在快速解释这些内容。
I'm trying to explain these things very quickly.
我建议你在听完我讲解一些语言点之后,再重新听这些对话部分。
I recommend that you listen to these conversation parts again after you've listened to me explaining some of the language.
所以你可能很难完全理解,因为我讲得比较快。
So it's probably quite difficult to understand it all because I'm doing it fairly quickly.
但这个播客的优势在于,你可以回放并重新听。
But the advantage of this being a podcast is that you can go back and listen to this again.
我总是建议你多听几次这些播客,因为这能帮助你更好地理解我说的话,真正掌握内容,同时学习语言。
I I always recommend that you should listen to these podcasts more than once, because that will really help you to understand what I'm saying and to to really sort of get a better understanding and, you know, pick up the language.
你知道,这其实相当有挑战性。
You know, this is quite intense, really.
我知道这个播客很长,但事实上,它是非常好的高强度听力和深度学习材料。
I know that this is a very long podcast, but actually, it's quite good intensive listening and intensive studying that you can do from this.
一遍又一遍地听。
Listen to it over and over again.
仔细听。
Listen carefully.
做笔记。
Make notes.
阅读我在网页上为你提供的笔记。
Read the the notes that I provide for you on the web page.
明白吗?
Okay?
还有更多。
There's more.
还有更多这样的内容。
There's there's even more of this.
那我们来听对话的下一部分吧。
So let's listen to the next part of the conversation.
当我还很小的时候,我哥哥总是给我讲一个故事,说我们曾经在某个地方,但我已经不记得了。
When I was, like, really, really young, my brother always tells me this story that we were we were in this I don't remember this.
我有个双胞胎兄弟,你知道的。
I've got twin brother, you see.
是的。
Yeah.
什么?
What?
比如,是同卵双胞胎吗?
Like, identical twin?
不是。
No.
不是同卵的。
Not identical.
不是。
No.
他长得挺帅的。
He's he's a good looking one.
我们在一家商店里,当时在看橡皮擦。
We were in this shop, and we we were looking at, like, erasers, rubbers.
是的。
Yeah.
那时候应该是五岁或六岁左右吧。
And it must been, like, five or six or something.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我记得对保罗说:‘快看这个。’
And remember saying to Paul, oh, look at this.
是不是很酷?
It's really cool, isn't it?
他却说:‘是啊。'
And he's like, yeah.
是的
Yeah.
是的
Yeah.
是的
Yeah.
是的
Yeah.
真的很不错。
It's really nice.
是的
Yeah.
你应该买它。
You should buy it.
是的
Yeah.
但我当时身上没钱。
But I didn't have any money.
然后我们离开了商店,显然,我只是伸手进兜里把橡皮拿走了。
And then we we left the shop, and, apparently, I just reached into my pocket and took the rubber out.
对。
Right.
于是他,你知道的,他说:‘你没付钱啊。’
And so he's, you know, he's he's going, oh, you didn't pay for that.
你没付钱啊。
You didn't pay for that.
但我完全不记得这些事了。
And I I don't remember any of this.
是的。
Yeah.
但我们回家后,他告诉了我妈妈。
But we went home, and he told my mom.
就直接告发了你
Just just sort of grassed you
上去,是的。
up Yeah.
向你的父母告密。
To your parents.
我想我买下了它。
And I think I bought it.
我一定是买下了它。
I must have bought it.
我不认为我是故意偷的。
I don't think I deliberately stole it.
但当然,我妈妈立刻就去理论了,是的。
But, of course, my mom marched yeah.
他们就是这么做的。
This is what they do.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。