本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
交易全球金融市场并不容易。
Trading the world's financial markets isn't easy.
但交易可能很复杂,并不意味着你的经纪商也必须如此。
But just because trading can be tricky doesn't mean that your broker has to be.
在capital.com,我们希望让您的交易体验尽可能顺畅。
At capital.com, we want to make your trading experience as painless as possible.
无论您是在我们的清晰易用平台上开立账户还是开仓,请立即访问capital.com,了解我们如何帮助您更聪明地交易。
Whether you're opening an account or opening a position on our clear user friendly platform, head to capital.com today and find out how we can help you trade smarter.
差价合约涉及
CFDs involve a
高风险。
high level of risk.
83%的零售投资者亏损。
Eighty three percent of retail investors lose money.
大家好。
Hey, everyone.
我是安娜。
It's Anna.
好的。
Alright.
在节目开始前,我想聊聊情人节,因为在这里的《现代爱情》我们已经提前开始考虑了。
Before we start the show, I wanna talk about Valentine's Day because, of course, we are already thinking about it over here at Modern Love.
我们希望你能帮我们一下。
We're hoping you can help us out.
我们想了解曾经发生在你身上最浪漫的事。
We want to know the most romantic thing that's ever happened to you.
或者,如果没有发生在你身上,那也是你曾经见过或目睹过的最浪漫的事。
Or if it didn't happen to you, the most romantic thing you've ever seen or witnessed.
这可能是某种宏大的举动,像浪漫喜剧里的场景。
It could be something grand, a rom com style gesture.
也许有人抱着音箱站在你的窗下,或者在机场奔跑着阻止你离开。
Maybe someone stood outside your window with a boombox or ran through the airport to stop you from leaving.
或者它可能是一件小事,比如有人知道你讨厌橄榄,所以总是在你开吃前把它们从你盘子里挑出来。
Or it could be something small, like someone knows you hate olives, so they always pick them off your plate before you dig in.
或者有人每天早上在你的午餐盒里塞一张便条,提醒你你对他们有多重要。
Or someone slips a note in your lunchbox every morning to remind you how much you mean to them.
无论是什么样的时刻——无论是宏大的瞬间还是微小的细节——让你感受到了浪漫的悸动,我们都想听你讲述。
Whatever made you feel that rush of romance from the big moments to the tiny ones, we want to hear about it.
我们还想知道,为什么这件事对你来说如此浪漫。
And we want to know why it was so romantic to you.
如果你有这样一个故事,请录一段语音备忘录,发送至 modernlovepodcast@nytimes.com,截止日期为2月4日,你的故事有可能被用在节目中。
If you have a story in mind, record a voice memo and email it to us at modernlovepodcast@nytimes.com by February 4, and we might use your story on the show.
邮箱是 modernlovepodcast@nytimes.com。
That's modernlovepodcast@nytimes.com.
再次提醒,你的截止日期是2月4日。
And once again, your deadline is February 4.
非常感谢。
Thanks so much.
我们迫不及待想听到你的故事。
We can't wait to hear from you.
现在带来今天的节目。
Now here's today's episode.
爱,现在与永远。
Love now and forever.
坠入爱河
Fall in love
昨晚?
last night?
爱你。
Love you.
爱,胜过一切。
Love stronger than anything.
为了爱,爱。
For the love Love.
他们比任何东西都更爱你。
And they love you more than anything.
爱。
Love.
渴望去爱。
Wish to love.
爱。
Love.
来自《纽约时报》,我是安娜·马丁。
From the New York Times, I'm Anna Martin.
这是现代爱情。
This is modern love.
贝尔·伯登过着许多人梦寐以求的生活。
Belle Burden was living a life a lot of people dream of.
完美无瑕。
Picture perfect.
她和丈夫非常富有,我说的是那种老牌富翁级别的富有,属于曼哈顿上流社会的精英。
She and her husband were rich, and I'm talking old money rich, the elite of Manhattan society.
他们有三个孩子,贝儿专注于抚养孩子,而她的丈夫则在对冲基金公司工作。
They have three kids who Belle was focused on raising while her husband worked at a hedge fund.
她以为他们是一个幸福的家庭。
She thought they were a happy family.
然而,在婚姻持续了二十年后,毫无预兆地,她的丈夫告诉她他想要离婚,并且马上就要搬走。
Then twenty years into her marriage, with no warning, her husband told her he wanted a divorce, and he was leaving immediately.
就在一天之内,她的丈夫几乎变成了一个陌生人。
In a single day, her husband basically became a stranger to her.
当贝儿试图理解发生了什么时,她做出了一个让身边许多人都感到惊讶的决定。
As Belle tried to understand what happened, she made a decision that surprised a lot of the people close to her.
她向全世界分享了自己的故事。
She shared her story with the world.
首先,她写了一篇广为传播的《现代爱情》专栏文章,如今她更进一步,出版了一本书。
First in a modern love essay that went viral, and now she's gone even further and written a book.
这本书叫《陌生人》,一部关于婚姻的回忆录。
It's called strangers, a memoir of marriage.
今天,我和贝儿聊聊,尽管那个夜晚感觉像一场可怕而突然的终结,但实际上却是她新生活的开始。
Today, I talk with Belle about how even though that night felt like a horrible and abrupt ending, it was actually the beginning of her new life.
贝儿·伯登,欢迎来到《现代爱情》。
Belle Burden, welcome to Modern Love.
非常感谢您邀请我。
Thank you so much for having me.
我很高兴能来到这里。
I'm thrilled to be here.
我们也很高兴有你。
We are thrilled to have you.
好的。
Okay.
我叫你贝儿。
I'm calling you Belle.
嗯。
Mhmm.
但你的全名是弗洛·贝尔。
But your full name is Flo Bell.
对。
Correct.
这个名字背后有什么故事吗?
What is the story behind that name?
我祖母的名字是弗洛伦斯·贝尔·费尔班克斯,她是加利福尼亚的一名默片女演员。
So my grandmother's name was Florence Bell Fairbanks, and she was an actress in silent films in California.
她给自己取了弗洛·贝尔作为艺名。
And she made up Flo Bell as her stage name.
她在我出生前四个月去世了,我父亲在她的葬礼上致悼词,最后说:如果阿曼达——我的母亲——在五月生了个女孩,就给她取名叫弗洛·贝尔·费尔班克斯·伯登。
And then for she died four months before I was born, and my father stood up at her funeral and gave the eulogy and ended it by saying, if Amanda, my mother, has a girl in May, her name will be Flo Belle Fairbanks Burden.
所有人都哭了。
And everyone cried.
问题是,他并没有告诉我的母亲。
The problem was that he had not told my mother, though.
哦,天哪。
Oh, no.
所以她坐在前排,心想:哇。
So She was in the front row, like, wow.
她并不高兴。
She was not happy.
她真的很不高兴。
She was really not happy.
好吧。
Okay.
一位默片女演员。
A silent film actress.
这非常优雅。
That's very chic,
不过。
though.
那真的很酷。
It was it was cool.
是啊。
Yeah.
这种事是不是你惹麻烦的时候,你就成了弗洛·贝尔?
Was this the kind of thing where when you were in trouble, you were Flo Bell?
没错。
Yep.
弗洛·贝尔的负担。
FloBelle burden.
嗯。
Mhmm.
弗洛·贝尔的负担。
FloBelle burden.
是的。
Yes.
尽管我也没怎么惹麻烦。
Although I didn't get in trouble too much.
我非常书呆子气。
I was very nerdy.
我还是选Belle吧。
I'm gonna stick with Belle.
听起来怎么样?
How does that sound?
好的。
Okay.
就这样吧。
There we go.
好了,就这样。
There There you go.
好的。
Okay.
我想先撇开名字不谈,说一下2023年你写的一篇《现代爱情》随笔,它让我瞬间停下了脚步。
I want to pivot from the name just to say, back in 2023, you wrote a modern love essay, and it stopped me in my tracks.
我一直在反复思考那篇文章。
I could not stop thinking about it.
现在你写了一本书,我们今天就是来聊这本书的。
Now you've written a book, which we're here to talk about today.
这本书让我们更深入地了解了你的故事。
This gives us even more of your story.
书中你提到,有一晚,毫无预兆地,你的婚姻崩塌了,你的人生从此改变。
In it, you talk about how one night, out of the blue, your marriage collapsed and your life changed forever.
这件事发生在2020年3月。
This happened in March 2020.
你写道,你和你的家人离开了曼哈顿,回到了玛莎葡萄园岛的家。
You wrote that your family you and your family left Manhattan for your home in Martha's Vineyard.
你在新冠早期阶段在那里隔离。
You're quarantining there during the early days of COVID.
跟我讲讲你那时的生活吧。
Bring me into sort of that time in your life.
你安顿下来后,那里的生活是什么样的?
What was life like there as you settled in?
我们开着车带着两个女儿去了那里,她们当时分别是15岁和12岁,那对我们所有人来说都是一个非常可怕的时候。
So we drove up there with our two daughters who were then 15 and 12, and it was a very scary time for all of us.
纽约已经全面封锁,但我们非常幸运,有一个我们喜爱的、与世隔绝的住所,我们真的安顿了下来。
New York was shut down, But we were very lucky that we had a place to go to that was isolated that we loved, and we really settled in.
我丈夫在对冲基金工作,所以他每天早起工作。
My husband was is works for a hedge fund, so he was getting up early and and working.
而我负责打扫家务、散步,他则喜欢去森林里砍柴。
And I was doing housecleaning and going for walks, and he'd love to be in the forest chopping wood.
他会带回三种不同的木材,比如蓝莓木和橡木,然后生起漂亮的火堆。
And he would bring in three different kinds, like blueberry and oak, and he would build these gorgeous fires.
他买了很多威士忌,因为我们以为威士忌能杀死病毒,所以他常调威士忌酸酒,有时也做热托迪。
He had bought a lot of whiskey because we thought whiskey would kill the virus, and so he made whiskey sours or sometimes like a hot toddy.
我们坐在那里,要么读书,要么谈论最新的疫情新闻。
And we would sit there and we would read or we would talk about the latest pandemic news.
除了劈柴,他还特别喜欢做晚饭。
And he was very in addition to chopping the wood, he he loved to make dinner.
他非常用心,确保我们在这段隔离期间感到安全和准备充分。
He loved to really kind of make sure that we were secure and ready for this period of quarantine.
所以那既是一个可怕的时候,但我也感到非常安心,因为我的两个女儿一直在我身边,我们在一起享受着那种温馨的氛围。
And so it's both a scary time, but also very, I felt very safe with with my girls in the house all the time and and just that kind of coziness together.
你丈夫有没有什么异常的表现?
Did anything did anything seem off with your husband?
完全没有,说实话,他一切都正常。
Nothing seemed off, at all, honestly.
如果我回想起那时,他确实花了很多时间在树林里,但那并不反常。
If he, if I think back on it, he was he spent a lot of time in the woods, and but that was not abnormal.
他一直都会这么做。
He always did that.
我们彼此非常亲密。
We were very affectionate with each other.
根本没有让我担心的地方。
There was absolutely nothing that made me worried.
到目前为止,你们结婚有多少年了?二十年。
And you've been married at this point for now how many years in Twenty years.
二十年,二十年,这就是你的现代爱情散文的开端。
Twenty years in twenty This is this is where your modern love essay begins.
带我进入那个一切改变的夜晚。
Bring me into this night where everything changed.
我们有
We had
一顿很不错的晚餐,我开始收拾,把碗碟放进洗碗机,拖地。
a really nice dinner, and I started cleaning up, loading the dishwasher, mopping the floor.
然后我听到了留言,按下播放键,是一个男人的声音。
And then it registered the message, and I pressed play, and it was a man.
他说:我正在找贝儿。
And he said, I'm trying to reach Belle.
我至今还能听见这句话。
I can still hear it.
我正在找贝儿。
I'm trying to reach Belle.
我很抱歉告诉你,你丈夫正和我妻子有婚外情。
I'm sorry to tell you that your husband is having an affair with my wife.
你当时的反应是什么?
What was your immediate reaction?
我第一感觉是这不可能,这不可能是真的。
My immediate feeling was that this could not be this can't be true.
我以为我丈夫会解释,说这是一场误会,某种错误。
And that my husband would explain it, that it was some kind of mistake, some kind of misunderstanding.
这完全不符合我对丈夫的了解。
It did not fit at all, with what I knew of my husband.
我当时穿着睡裤和一件舒适的毛衣,刚洗完澡,我至今还能感受到那种舒适与恐慌交织的感觉。
I was wearing, pajama pants and, like, a cozy sweater, and I'd just taken a shower, and I I can still feel that feeling of sort of the coziness with the just panic.
你听到了那条语音留言。
You get that voicemail.
嗯。
Mhmm.
然后发生了什么?
Then what happens?
我们的厨房在楼上,于是我开始下楼去找我丈夫,而他正从楼下上来。
I go our kitchen is upstairs, so I started going downstairs to find my husband, and he was coming upstairs.
我能看出来他知道,因为他看起来很担忧。
And, I could tell that he knew because he looked worried.
哇。
Wow.
他说,这没什么意义。
And he said, it meant nothing.
非常简短。
It was very short.
我爱你。
I love you.
我只爱你。
I love only you.
我爱我们的家人。
I love our family.
我很抱歉。
I'm so sorry.
我太尴尬了。
I'm so embarrassed.
你们俩在哪?
What are you where are you two?
你们牵着手吗?
Are you holding hands?
你们正坐在
Are you sitting on the
他握住了我的手。
He's taken my hands.
他正直视着我的眼睛。
He's looking directly in my eye.
我记得低头看了看我们的手,他戴着结婚戒指,因为戴了二十年,已经磨得很旧了。
And I remember looking down at our hands, and he had his wedding ring on that's very scuffed from wearing it for twenty years.
而我什么戒指都没戴,因为一个朋友告诉我,新冠可能藏在戒指下面,对吧?
And I had no rings on because a friend had told me that COVID could hide under rings Right.
因为肥皂和免洗洗手液根本洗不到里面。
Because you can't get soap and Purell in there.
所以我把它们全都摘了下来。
So I had taken them all off.
当我坐在那里,他握着我的手时,我想:天啊。
And as I'm sitting there with him holding my hands, I think, wow.
是我导致了这一切吗?
Did I did I cause this?
因为我二十年来第一次摘下了我的婚戒。
Because I took off my wedding ring for the first time in twenty years.
我一向从不摘下我的婚戒和订婚戒指。
I was someone who never took off my wedding ring and my engagement ring.
我的意思不是理性地思考,但那就是我当时的想法,我也想:好吧。
I mean, not thinking rationally, but that's that's But where I I think I also thought, okay.
我们此刻在这所房子里在一起。
We're in this house together.
我们哪儿也去不了。
We can't go anywhere.
我们被封锁了。
We're in lockdown.
我们只能待在一起,努力度过这段时期,通过Zoom看心理医生,天哪,我该怎么应对这一切?
We are going to have to live here together and try and work through this, and see a therapist on Zoom, and, you know, just how am I going to manage this?
就在那一刻,我12岁的小女儿叫我,让我给她做馅饼,这是我们家的一种传统。
And then at that moment, my younger daughter who's 12 called for me and asked me to make her turnovers, which is a thing that we have in our family.
我不是从头开始做的。
I do not make them from scratch.
它们是Pepperidge Farm的冷冻馅饼。
They're Pepperidge Farm frozen turnovers.
美味。
Delicious.
我意识到,我必须装作一切都没事,直到我们弄清楚发生了什么以及该怎么做。
And I realized I have to pretend that everything is okay for the girls until we can figure out what's happening and what we're doing.
于是我提高了音量,装出一副欢快的语气说:好吧。
And so I sort of raised my voice to sound chipper and said, okay.
我来给你做馅饼。
I'll I'll make the turnovers.
那时我离开了房间,把馅饼放进烤箱,然后去洗澡,把自己关在浴室里,终于放声大哭,再也无法压抑了。
And I left the room at that point and put the turnovers in the oven and then went to my shower and just where I could seal myself in and close the bathroom door and just wailed, where it I was like, I just couldn't contain it any longer.
你当时脑子里在想什么?
What was what was flashing through your mind?
是在想过去吗?
Was it the past?
是在想未来吗?
Was it the future?
我想我的大脑正在努力把我对他已知的、或者自以为了解的信息拼凑起来。
I think I was trying to my brain was trying to fit it together with what I knew of him or thought I knew of him.
是的。
Yeah.
还有就是震惊。
And just shock.
完全震惊于这一切正在发生。
Absolute shock that this is all unfolding.
我的女儿们正在看电视,根本不知道发生了什么事。
And my girls are, like, watching television and, like, have no idea anything is going on.
哇。
Wow.
是的。
Yep.
然后晚上呢?我的意思是,晚上是怎么结束的?
And then how does the night I mean, does it like, how does the night end?
你能睡得着吗?
Do you can you even sleep?
我的意思是,
I mean,
根本睡不着。
like, can't sleep.
我下楼去看孩子们,因为我还没给小女儿盖被子,结果发现她们俩都安安稳稳地睡在自己的床上。
I go downstairs to check on the girls because I had not put the younger one to bed, and they're both asleep in their beds.
我丈夫睡在我儿子的床上。
And my husband is asleep in my son's bed.
我儿子和朋友在长岛,他看起来非常平静。
My son is with friends on Long Island, and he looks very peaceful.
而我有点
And I'm sort of
你丈夫?
Your husband?
又来了。
Again.
是的。
Yes.
安静地睡着。
Sleeping peacefully.
他怎么能不处于一种你整晚都没睡的状态?
How can he be not just in a state of You haven't slept all night?
压力。
Stress.
嗯。
Yeah.
我整晚都没睡。
I haven't slept all night.
我的意思是,我们的婚姻要么会经历一段非常艰难的时期,要么可能会结束,而他却在睡觉,我实在无法理解。
I mean, our marriage is either, you know, going to go through a very difficult period or it might end, and he's sleeping, and I can't quite understand that.
但早上六点,我躺在床上睡不着,他进来了,手里提着一个托特包。
But at six in the morning, I'm in my bed not sleeping, and he comes in, and he's carrying a tote bag.
他对我说:我以为我很幸福,但其实我不是。
And he says to me, I thought I was happy, but I'm not.
我决定要离婚。
I've decided I want a divorce.
我震惊了,因为我真的以为是否维持婚姻、如何处理这件事,最终决定权在我手里。
And I was stunned because I honestly thought it would be my decision to make whether we would stay married or not, or how we would negotiate this.
但这次决定权不在我的手里。
But it was not going to be my decision.
而是在他的手里。
It was going to be his decision.
我看着他,那一刻,他在我眼中变得完全不同了。
And I looked at him, and in that moment, he seemed very, very different to me.
他的眼神看起来不一样了。
His eyes looked different.
那份温暖已经消失了。
The warmth had gone.
从他昨晚说的话来看,他说这是一个错误。
From from the words he said last night, which is this was a mistake.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你知道,我爱你。
You know, I love you.
那他后来说了什么?
And now what did he say?
他说,我一直不快乐,我想离婚。
He says, I haven't been happy, and I want a divorce.
我要走了。
And I'm leaving.
我要走了。
And I'm leaving.
我要走了。
And I'm leaving.
我要走了。
I'm leaving.
行李已经收拾好了。
And the bag was packed.
哇。
Wow.
行李已经收拾好了。
The bag is packed.
然后他说,你会好起来的。
And then he says, you're going to be okay.
你还年轻。
You're still young.
但说实话,我并不年轻。
And, honestly, I was not young.
我刚满50岁。
I had just turned 50.
然后他走出了房间,走到前门,出去后上了他的吉普车,乘上渡轮,离开了。
And then he walked out of the room, walked to our front door, walked out, got in his jeep, and boarded a ferry, and left.
我之前没提到的一件事是,他离开前说:‘其实,我很抱歉。’
And one thing I didn't mention is he said before he left, he said actually, I'm sorry.
他到纽约后才说了这句话。
He said it when he got to New York.
他说:‘你可以拥有孩子的监护权。’
He said, you can have custody of the kids.
你可以拥有房子和公寓。
You can have the house and the apartment.
我不再想要这个生活的任何一部分了。
I don't want any part of this life anymore.
我的意思是,我刚刚才听到这些。
I mean, I am just hearing about this.
我没有亲身经历,现在完全懵了。
I didn't live it, and I'm completely disoriented.
是的。
Yes.
我的意思是,我好像在打扰。
Mean, I'm like distracting.
绝对,完全震惊。
Absolutely, total shock.
这件事发生后,我感到极度的身心痛苦。
Total just absolutely physical pain that this had happened.
双重打击,因为先是出轨的震惊,然后是这个决定的震惊。
And a double shock because there was the shock of the affair and then the shock of this decision.
你可以获得孩子的全部监护权。
You can have full custody of the kids.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我的意思是,这一定很
I mean, that must have been
这真的让我震惊。
That really shocked me.
那让我震惊,还有他说我能够拥有葡萄园房子这件事也让我震惊,因为他非常爱那个地方和那片土地。
That that shocked me and the saying that I could have the vineyard house shocked me because he loved that place and the land so much.
是的。
Yeah.
但你的孩子们呢。
But your children.
但孩子们才是最让我震惊的部分。
But the the children was the most shocking part.
这是所有事情中最艰难的部分。
It has been the most difficult part of all of this.
你有
Did you
问他为什么吗?
ask him why?
为什么会这样?为什么会发生这种事?
Why is this like, what is why is this happening?
他离开的时候,我没有机会,因为他走得太突然了。
When he left, I didn't have a chance because he left very quickly.
所以我一直给他打电话。
So I just kept calling him.
我会去一些孩子们听不到的地方,比如车库里、树林里,甚至再次去浴室,不停地打电话,恳求他告诉我,解释一下,告诉我我哪里出了问题,他不满意什么,告诉他他是不是爱上别人了,这种事情是会发生的,你知道的。
I would go to places where the girls couldn't hear me, in the garage, in the woods, in my bathroom again, just calling and just begging him to tell me to explain, to tell me what was wrong with me, what he wasn't happy about, to say that he was in love, which happens, you know.
所以这说得通。
So it makes sense.
这会让人觉得
Would make
任何事都说得通。
anything make sense.
这会是一个解释。
It would be an explanation.
但他就是做不到,或者不愿意做。
But he couldn't do it or he wouldn't do it.
他说这不是我的错,这本该让人安心,但这也只是个模棱两可的回答。
He said it was not my fault, which should be reassuring, but it's also just a non answer.
他真的什么都没告诉我。
And he really would give me nothing.
他唯一告诉我的是,他感觉像有个开关被拨动了。
And the only thing he would tell me is that he felt like a switch had flipped.
嗯。
Mhmm.
他说他以为自己想要我们的生活,但实际上并不想要。
And that he thought he wanted our life, but he didn't.
他以为自己是快乐的,但其实并不是。
He thought he was happy, but he wasn't.
他说他已经结束了。
And that he was done.
在某个时候,你必须告诉孩子们。
At some point, you you have to tell the kids.
嗯。
Yeah.
他们是怎么发现的?
How did how did they find out?
所以我认识的一位治疗师建议我们等到疫情没那么可怕了再告诉他们。
So a a therapist I spoke with had advised that we not tell them until the pandemic became less scary.
当然,正如我们都知道的,疫情并没有好转。
And, of course, as we all know, it did not.
没有。
No.
它只是变得更可怕了。
It just became more scary.
但一个月后,我只是觉得我不能再继续装下去了。
But after a month, I just thought I can't keep pretending.
我们必须告诉他们。
I have we have to tell them.
到目前为止,抱歉,你们之前是怎么跟孩子们说他在哪里的?
And up up to this point, sorry, what had you been telling the kids about where he was?
我说他在纽约工作。
I said he was in New York working.
他得回去上班。
He had to go back to work.
孩子们有尝试联系他吗?
And did the kids try to reach out to him?
你知道吗?
Do you know?
或者他有联系
Or did he reach
据我所知,他没有主动联系他们。
not to reach out to them, To my knowledge.
所以,关于发生了什么的这次对话,是他第一次——我的意思是,你们显然再次面对面交谈了。
So this conversation about what had happened would be the first time he was I mean, certainly, you were talking face to face again.
他正在和孩子们说话。
He was talking to the kids.
好的。
Okay.
那么,你们是怎么决定最终要——
So how did you decide to eventually
我丈夫正往岛上赶。
My husband was on his way up to the island.
他的老板借给他一架水上飞机。
His boss had lent him use of a seaplane.
他到了,我看着他沿着小路走过来。
He arrives, and I watched him come up the walkway.
我心里想的是,他看起来很开心。
And what I thought to myself is he seems happy.
他看起来好像脚步轻快,你知道的。
He seems like kind of, you know, spring in his step.
他说他只有四十五分钟就得返回水上飞机。
And he said he had forty five minutes until he had to go back to the seaplane.
实际上,我觉得是九十分钟。
Actually, I think it was ninety minutes.
我记不清到底是四十五分钟还是九十分钟了,但时间很短。
I can't remember if it's forty five or ninety, but something short.
等等。
And Wait.
我们为什么?
We Why?
他说飞行员必须回去。
He said the pilots had to go back.
于是我坐在沙发上,搂着两个女儿,我丈夫则在她们面前来回踱步,说着同样的话。
So I sat on the couch with the girls, my arms around them, and my husband sort of paced in front of them and said the same thing.
我一直不开心,我决定我们要离婚。
I've been I've not been happy, and I've decided that we're going to divorce.
我的小女儿转过身,微笑着。
And my younger daughter turned and was smiling.
我觉得她以为这是一场大戏,是个笑话。
And I think she thought this was like some big act and It's a joke.
笑话。
A joke.
没错。
Yep.
然后她看了看我的脸,看到我那么难过,就尖叫起来。
And then she looked at my face and saw how sad I looked, and and she just screamed.
我的大女儿只是平静地坐着,双臂交叉。
And my older daughter just sat very calmly with her arms crossed.
她只是在看着她的父亲。
Just she's just watching her father.
我丈夫看着我说:我饿坏了。
And my husband looked at me and said, I'm starving.
你能给我做个三明治吗?
Can you make me a sandwich?
天啊,贝尔。
Oh my god, Belle.
我经历了作为父母常常会有的那种时刻——我和自己进行了一整段内心对话。
And I had one of those moments that I think we have as parents where I have a whole dialogue with myself.
在这种情况下,一个好母亲会怎么做?
What what would a good mother do in this situation?
这是我的孩子的父亲。
This is my child's father.
我希望她觉得一切都会好起来,我们会成为朋友。
I want her to feel like things will be okay, that we'll be friends.
我是离婚家庭的孩子。
I'm a child of divorce.
我讨厌父母互相贬低对方。
I hated if my parents spoke badly of each other.
你希望觉得父母能和睦相处。
You wanna feel like your parents are gonna get along.
当然,我内心的另一个声音在想:你在说什么呢?
And, of course, another part of me is thinking, what are you talking about?
我不会给你做三明治。
I'm not gonna make you a sandwich.
但我还是决定做三明治。
But I went with making the sandwich.
于是我去了厨房,尽我所能做出最棒的三明治。
So I went to the kitchen, and I really tried to make the best sandwich I possibly could.
因为我觉得,既然要做,就不能做差劲的三明治。
Because I thought, if I'm going to do this, I'm not gonna make a bad sandwich.
我要做出他这辈子吃过的最棒的三明治,让他心里想:我怎么可能离开这个会做如此美味三明治的女人?
I will I will make the best sandwich he has ever had so that he will say to himself, how could I possibly leave this woman who can make these incredible sandwiches?
这是我内心的想法。
This is what I'm thinking to myself.
我是笑着,但这是一种阴暗的笑。
I mean, I'm laughing, but it's a dark laughter.
是的。
It is.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
确实如此。
It is really
三明治很赞吗?
Was the sandwich banging?
里面放了什么?
What was on it?
嗯,我说不上它特别惊艳,但确实是个不错的三明治。
It was I mean, it was I wouldn't say it was unusually banging, but it was it was a good sandwich.
是烤过的面包,摆在一个漂亮的盘子里,还配了张不错的餐巾。
It was like toasted bread and put it on a nice plate and got a nice napkin.
天啊。
Oh my god.
所以呢,我当时在表演。
So I was, you know, I was performing.
是啊,老兄。
Yes, man.
而且,有一部分我后悔了。
And, you know, part of me regrets it.
我本该说:自己做个三明治吧。
I should have been like, make your own sandwich.
但我就是这么做了。
But I I that's what I did.
你确实这么做了。
You did it.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你给他做了个超棒的三明治。
You make him this amazing sandwich.
嗯。
Mhmm.
给他送过去。
Bring it to him.
我开始在家里四处找他,以为他会在某个女孩那儿。
I start walking around the house looking for him, assuming he's gonna be with one of the girls.
嗯。
Yeah.
他不在女孩们那儿。
He's not with the girls.
最后我在地下室找到了他。
And I eventually find him in the basement.
我问他:你在干什么?
And I said, what are you doing?
怎么了?
What's going on?
他说,我在找我们的婚前协议。
And he said, I'm looking for our prenup.
如果你有,你得给我。
If you have it, you have to give it to me.
我说,现在别这样。
And I said, please don't do this now.
请去陪孩子们吧。
Please go be with the girls.
你得回去
You have to go back to the
机场整个
airport a whole
这次访问的机队。
fleet of this visit.
你有
You have
九十分钟后,或者你有的任何时间。
ninety minutes or whatever you have.
嗯。
Yeah.
请回去看看孩子们。
Please go back to see the girls.
他没有。
He didn't.
最终,放弃了。
And eventually, gave up.
他上了楼,从我手里拿走三明治,在门口吃掉了,然后又离开了。
And he came upstairs, took the sandwich from me, ate the sandwich by the door, and then left again.
然后我收到我丈夫发来的短信,说那是一次很棒的会面,后面还加了个感叹号。
And then I got a text from my husband saying, that was a great visit with an exclamation mark.
我感觉自己刚刚经历了一个现实。
I feel like I've just lived one reality.
一个所有父母都害怕、所有孩子都永远铭记的时刻。
A moment that all parents dread, all children remember forever.
但他努力让这件事变得美好。
But he was trying to make it something that was good.
我们马上回来。
We'll be right back.
交易金融市场可能是一项孤独的事业。
Trading the financial markets can be a lonely pursuit.
所以当你想知道如何在平台上开启深色模式,或者如何存入资金时,能与真人交流很有帮助。
So when you want to know how to turn on dark mode in your platform or how to deposit into your account, it's good to speak to a real person.
在 capital.com,我们的团队会说德语、法语、意大利语、西班牙语以及许多其他语言。
At capital.com, our team speak German, French, Italian, Spanish, and many other languages.
随时联系我们,我们很乐意为您解答交易相关的问题。
Get in touch, and we'll be happy to help answer your trading questions.
Capital.com。
Capital.com.
发现一个懂你语言的经纪商。
Discover a broker that speaks your language.
差价合约具有较高风险。
CFDs involve a high level
风险。
of risk.
百分之八十三的零售投资者亏损。
Eighty three percent of retail investors lose money.
我是娜塔莉·基特罗夫。
I'm Natalie Kitroef.
作为《纽约时报》墨西哥城分社社长,我开始调查锡那罗亚贩毒集团和芬太尼生产。
And as the Mexico City bureau chief for The New York Times, I started looking into the Sinaloa cartel and fentanyl production.
我试图理解这种毒品为何导致如此多美国人死亡。
I was trying to understand why this drug was killing so many Americans.
为了做到这一点,我知道我们必须深入这个犯罪组织内部。
And to do that, I knew that we had to get inside of this criminal organization.
我们花了数月的时间,多次前往锡那罗亚,才最终进入这座芬太尼实验室。
It took us months and months of work and multiple trips to Sinaloa to actually get into this fentanyl lab.
报道过程中充满了诸多风险,但人们得以深入了解制造这种毒品的组织内部情况。
There were a lot of risks involved in the reporting, but people got to have a real inside view into the organization that is making this drug.
他们通过照片、视频和采访,亲眼目睹了整个过程。
And they saw the process with photos and videos and interviews.
正是由于我们的订阅者,我们才能完成这样的工作。
This is the kind of work that we're able to do because of our subscribers.
如果您想订阅,请访问 nytimes.com/subscribe。
If you'd like to subscribe, go to nytimes.com/subscribe.
您在书中写道,您成长于一个非常显赫的纽约家庭。
You write in your book, you know, you grew up in a very prominent New York City family.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你的家世,我想这是正确的说法,包括约翰·杰伊。
Your lineage, I guess that's the right word, includes John Jay.
对吗?
Is that correct?
是的。
Yeah.
嗯。
Mhmm.
范德比尔特家族。
The Vanderbilts.
你知道,你祖母是贝比·佩利。
You know, your grandmother's Babe Paley.
嗯。
Mhmm.
一位非常了不起的杂志编辑和社会名媛。
Really incredible magazine editor, socialite.
你从小在纽约长大的这个世界,不是很多人能接触到的世界,嗯。
This world that you grew up in in New York is not a world that a lot of people Mhmm.
有这种机会。
Have access to.
在你成长的过程中,对于婚姻应该是什么样子,有没有感受到某些规范或期望?
Did you feel like there were certain norms or expectations around how marriage what marriage should be in the way you were raised?
在某些方面,是的。
In some ways, yes.
我想,因为我成长于上东区,然后上了私立学校,所以有一种期望,就是你会遇到你的另一半,举办一场盛大的婚礼,然后结婚。
I think because of where I grew up in terms of the Upper East Side and then, you know, going to private schools, there was, you know, an expectation that you would meet your mate, and you would get have a nice wedding, and you would get married.
而且,这中间有一套固定的流程。
And, you know, there was sort of a playbook for that.
但我认为这种期望更多是内在的,因为我已经经历过两次离婚。
But I think it was more internal because I'd been through two divorces.
我父母离异了,然后我母亲又和继父离了婚。
My parents divorced, and then my mother's divorce from my stepfather.
我内心深处渴望着永恒的婚姻和一个完整的家庭。
And I had a year deep yearning for, to be married for eternity and to have an intact family.
我认为这是我一生中最想要的东西。
I think it was the thing I wanted most in life.
我也见过我父亲和继母拥有美满的婚姻,那就是我的目标。
And I had also seen my father and my stepmother who had a wonderful marriage, and that was my goal.
你认为什么样的婚姻才是好婚姻?
What did you think made a good marriage?
我现在更深入地思考过这个问题,但当初结婚、选择丈夫时,我以为自己是在改进这个模式。
Well, I've given more thought to that now, But I actually thought I was improving on the model when I got married, when I chose my husband.
为什么?
Why?
因为我的家族里的男性,我非常爱他们,但他们都有脾气。
Because the men in my family, I love them very much, but they have tempers.
他们脾气不算吓人,更多是跺脚那种。
They they have tempers that are not super scary, but more like stomping your feet.
是的。
Yeah.
对不起。
I'm sorry.
只是跺了跺脚。
Just stomped my foot.
而且总是有很多大喊大叫。
And and there's always a lot of yelling.
从我认识我丈夫的那天起,他就一直非常冷静。
And my husband, from the day I met him, was always very calm.
他不认为大喊大叫是必要的。
He didn't believe in yelling.
我们的家里几乎听不到大喊大叫,除了孩子们的吵闹。
He was, our house was really free from yelling other than children yelling.
所以我以为自己真的改进了,我选择了一个人,他有着我成长过程中从未有过的平静。
And so I thought I had really improved, and I had I would pick someone who was wonderfully calm in that way that I I did not have growing up.
而且稳定,它
And steady, it
听起来是这样。
sounds like.
是的。
Yes.
非常稳定。
Very steady.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你知道吗,你提到你小时候是个安静的、用你的话说就是书呆子的孩子。
You know, you mentioned you were a quiet, in your words, of nerdy kid.
在你的书中,你提到你哥哥小时候给你起的一个绰号,叫‘好贝儿’。
In your book, you talk about a nickname you had your brother gave you when you were growing up, Belle the Good.
嗯。
Mhmm.
所以你是个遵守规则的孩子吗?
So were you like a rule following kid?
你当时是
What was your
没错。
Absolutely.
我非常安静。
I was very quiet.
我特别害羞,甚至有点痛苦。
I was very painfully shy.
所以我是个遵守规则的人。
So I was the rule follower.
我从不违反任何规则,我觉得这有点无聊。
I did not break any rules, and it was it was a little bit boring, I think.
告诉我,你第一次遇见将来成为你丈夫的那个人时是什么情景?
Tell me about the first time you met the man that would become your husband.
你对他最初的印象是什么?
What were your first impressions of him?
我最初的印象是他看起来和我父亲非常相似。
My first impressions were that he was that he, looked very much like had similar look to my father.
他要么很好,要么很坏。
He was either good or bad.
是的。
Yes.
他身高六英尺。
He was six feet tall.
他们俩都是六英尺高,金发,穿着得体,上过寄宿学校。
They were both six feet tall, blonde, preppy, went to boarding school.
但那时的我,并不感兴趣那样的类型。
And at that time in my life, I was not interested in that.
我第一次见到他时,我正在填写奥斯卡选票,我非常喜欢电影。
He also when I the first time I met him, I was filling out an Oscar ballot, and I love movies.
他对任何电影、演员或女演员都一无所知,我当时就想,这人是谁?
And he had no idea about any of the movies or actors or actresses, and I just thought, who is this guy?
这看起来像是个问题。
Like, it seemed like a problem.
所以我觉得这事不会有什么结果。
So I did not think anything would come of it.
然后我们开始一起工作,我被他的头脑和智慧深深吸引了。
And then we started working together, and I was pretty dazzled by his brain, by his intelligence.
他是个出色的律师。
He was an amazing lawyer.
我非常被他的举止吸引。
And I was very drawn to his manner.
他非常有教养,非常善良,对身边的人也很体贴。
He very well mannered, very kind, very kind to people around him.
于是我开始慢慢对他产生了想法。
So I started to, like, started to think about him.
软化?
To soften?
嗯。
Mhmm.
是的。
Yes.
你能感觉到他对你有兴趣吗?
Could you tell that he was interested in you?
我开始有这种感觉,然后他给我发了一封邮件,问我是否愿意甩掉男朋友,和他约会。
I started to get that sense, and then he sent me an email and said, would you consider ditching your boyfriend and coming dating someone?
我当时在和别人约会。
I was dating someone.
是的。
Yes.
我当时和一个人住在一起。
I was living with someone.
天啊,梅尔。
Oh my gosh, Mel.
我说,我不能答应,我正和别人住在一起。
And I said, I can't know, I'm living with someone I can't.
他说:你愿意甩了你男朋友,八月和我去希腊吗?
It said, would you consider ditching your boyfriend and coming to Greece with me this August?
我至今还留着那封邮件。
I still have it.
一开始,我拒绝了。
And initially, I said no.
但两周后,我其实要和继母、祖母以及表弟一起出门。
And then two weeks later, I was actually going away with my stepmother and my grandmother and my cousin.
当时我加班到很晚,他来到我的办公室。
And he I was working late, and he came into my office.
他说:我只是想来道个别。
And he said, I just wanted to say goodbye.
他关上门,我有点站了起来。
And he shut the door, and I sort of stood up.
他走到我身边,吻了我。
And he came over to me and he kissed me.
哇哦。
Woah.
那是我这辈子最棒的一吻。
And it was by far the best kiss of my life.
有什么东西突然就对上了。
And something just clicked.
我就是知道,他就是我的那个人。
I just knew that this was my person.
哇。
Wow.
我跟男朋友分手了。
I broke up with the boyfriend.
我们的租约本来就快到期了。
Our lease had already was ending anyways.
他们打算
They were going
去不同的纽约人。
to different New Yorker.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Was yes.
租约。
The lease.
所以我们在一起了,简直像烟花绽放。
So we got together, and it was just fireworks.
三个月后我们就订婚了。
And we got engaged three months later.
你所说的‘烟花’是什么意思?因为这个词可以有很多含义。
Tell me what you mean by fireworks because that can mean a lot.
那到底是什么?
What was it?
是妙语连珠的对话吗?
Was it sparky conversation?
是惊人的性生活吗?
Was it amazing sex?
我的意思是,到底是什么?
Like, what was it?
那是难以置信的性生活。
It was unbelievable sex.
那就是那个,你知道的,我完全没料到一个稳重的律师会这样。
That was the that was the, you know, that that I did not expect from the steady lawyer.
我完全没想到会这样。
I did not expect that at all.
但我们彼此之间有很强的肉体吸引力。
But we were very physically attracted to each other.
但他以一种独特的方式带我认识了纽约——虽然我们都在这里长大,但他带我去唐人街,让我第一次尝了小笼包。
But he had this way of introducing me to New York in a way that, you know, I'd grown up we'd both grown up here, but he brought me to Chinatown to give me soup dumplings for the first time.
我和他一起吃了人生中的第一颗牡蛎。
I had my first oyster with him.
他以一种非常绅士的方式主动承担起主导角色。
He just sort of took charge in a very gentlemanly way.
我父亲两年前去世了,我想我当时正处于一种特别容易接受情感依赖的状态,虽然我不确定这是否是主要原因,但我觉得他确实及时出现,既提供了亲密与连接,也让我感受到他是一个非常能干、坚强的人,会照顾我。
And my father had died two years before, and I think I was very primed at that moment to to I don't think that's why, but I think he really swooped in and offered both this intimacy and connection, but also a sense of this is a very capable, strong person who will take care of me.
当然。
Definitely.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你提到他是在纽约长大的。
You mentioned that he grew up in New York.
他算是你成长环境中的一部分吗?比如上东区、私立学校那种?
Was he sort of a part of the the world you've grown up in, the Upper East Side, like private school?
大四岁。
Four years older.
嗯。
Mhmm.
他上的是男校。
And he went to a boys school.
我上的是女校。
I went to a girls school.
但他确实属于那个世界。
But he was part of that world.
嗯。
Mhmm.
他 definitely 属于那个世界,身边有很多非常富有的家庭,朋友也都非常富有。
He was definitely part of that world, and was around a lot of very wealthy families, had very wealthy friends.
但与此同时,他的家庭也经历着巨大的经济压力。
But at the same time, in his own family, was experiencing a lot of financial stress.
当你和他相处时,他有没有向你坦白过这些?
And did he was he open about that with you when you were getting
他有。
He was.
我能感觉到,这是他内心非常柔软、非常痛苦的一部分。
I could tell it was a very tender part of him, very painful part of him.
我能看出,这在他内心成了一种强大的驱动力,促使他在公司里拼命努力,他渴望赚钱,渴望以这种方式取得成功。
I could tell that it was sort of a very motivating thing in him in order to, you know, really motivate him at the firm, and he wanted to make money, and he wanted to be successful in that way.
听起来他渴望安全感,因为他的家庭并不安全。
Secure, it sounds like, because his family wasn't.
什么?
What's that?
因为他家庭不安全,所以他渴望安全感。
Secure because his family wasn't.
为了让自己有安全感。
To make himself secure.
他曾经是个非常叛逆的青少年。
And he had been a very rebellious teenager.
到了大学时,他用了同样的说法——仿佛开关被打开了一样,他决定转学到一所常春藤盟校,他确实这么做了,以最优等成绩毕业,然后进入地区检察官办公室,接着上法学院,最后进入律所,整个人发生了极其剧烈的转变。
And then when he was in college, he used that same phrase, a switch went off, and he decided that he was going to transfer to an Ivy League school, which he did, and graduated summa cum laude, and then went to the DA's office, and then went to law school, and then went to the firm, and he just, like, switched personas very dramatically.
所以你结婚了。
So you get married.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你们搬进了曼哈顿的一套公寓,曼哈顿的一套漂亮公寓。
You move into this apartment in Manhattan, beautiful apartment in Manhattan.
你们有了孩子。
You have kids.
你们有三个孩子。
You have three kids.
你们度过了这些美好的夏天。
You have these gorgeous summers.
我的意思是,你对玛莎葡萄园的描述如此优美。
I mean, you describe them so beautifully on Martha's Vineyard.
你丈夫最终在一家对冲基金工作。
Your husband works for a hedge fund eventually.
你待在家里。
You're staying home.
你在家带孩子。
You're raising the kids.
听起来完美极了。
It sounds perfect.
嗯,显然没有什么是完美的。
Well, nothing's perfect, obviously.
对。
Right.
但我感觉我们非常默契,彼此幸福,并且有意识地共同规划生活,一起做决定。
But I felt like we were very aligned and happy together and intentional about how we wanted to have our lives be and to and made decisions together.
所以我觉得我们是在一起的,你知道的,尽管并不总是完美或轻松,但我感觉我们像其他夫妻一样携手同行。
And so I felt like we were in it, you know, even though it may not have been perfect and easy all the time, I felt like we were in it together the way other couples are.
你觉得自己幸运吗?
Did you feel lucky?
我觉得非常幸运。
I felt very lucky.
我确实觉得,直到现在我依然觉得幸运。
I felt and I I honestly, I still feel lucky.
我感到非常幸运,因为很多时候我都感受到真正的幸福。
I feel very lucky because I felt like there was true happiness a lot of the time.
我有三个了不起的孩子。
I have these three amazing kids.
对我来说,我对他有一种纯粹的爱。
I had, for me, a feeling of absolute love for this person.
我为此感到自豪。
And I feel proud of that.
所以即使它以如此糟糕的方式结束,我依然拥有那份回忆。
So even though it ended in this awful way, I still have that.
我依然对此心怀感激,说实话。
I still I'm still grateful for that, honestly.
我真的相信这一点。
I really believe it.
你说过你们是一起经历的。
You sat you were in it.
是的。
Yeah.
那是你的说法。
That's your word.
你们是一起经历的。
You were in it.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我真的相信这一点。
And I I really believe that.
然后我几乎难以 reconcil 这个我们对话开始时的夜晚。
And then I almost it's so hard to reconcile this night that we started our conversation with.
什么都没变。
Nothing changed.
我的意思是,这让你质疑了你过去对一切所相信的一切吗?
I mean, it's like, did that make you question everything you thought you knew about everything you thought you knew, period?
这是一件有趣的事情。
It it's an interesting thing that happens.
人们确实问我,你是否在重新思考你所有的记忆?
And people did ask me, are you rethinking all your memories together?
有人问我,你是不是要烧掉你的结婚相册。
And someone asked me if I was gonna burn my wedding album.
我可能还有其他理由要烧掉我的婚礼相册。
And and I might have other reasons for burning my wedding album.
我不是因为那些照片我不喜欢。
I didn't there's some pictures I don't love.
但不是。
But No.
但并不是因为我感觉需要烧掉我们那段过去的回忆。
But not because I felt like I needed to burn that part of us.
我认为你可以相信那曾经是真的,同时也能相信它在某个时刻发生了变化。
I think that you can believe that was true, and then also believe it changed at some point.
是的。
Yeah.
我也不知道它是什么时候改变的。
A point that I don't know when it changed.
也许直到他离开前两周,它才发生了变化。
It may not have changed until two weeks before he left.
也许在两年前就发生了变化。
It may have changed two years.
也许在五年前就发生了变化。
It may have changed five years.
但我相信,确实有一段时间,这一切都是真实的。
But there was definitely a period of time where that all was true, I believe.
是的。
Yeah.
你丈夫离开之后。
After Your husband left.
嗯。
Mhmm.
你是什么时候开始考虑向核心圈子以外的人透露的?
When did you start to think about telling other people sort of beyond the inner circle?
嗯,一开始他就说,或者发消息说,我们应该说这是和平分手。
Well, right in the beginning, he said or he texted, I think we should say that this is amicable.
如果我们这么说,对你来说更好。
It's better for you if we say that.
考虑到他对我有所了解,我觉得这很有道理,我知道我一向很低调,不太喜欢倾诉或分享。
And I think that made sense knowing what he knew of me, that I tend to be very private, that I'm not a big, like, confessor, sharer.
但从一开始我就知道,我必须说出真相,不是为了贬低他,而是因为我无法编造一个关于我经历的虚假故事并继续活下去。
But I knew right from the beginning that I had to tell the truth about this, not to bash him, but because I couldn't tell an untrue story about what I was experiencing and survive it.
我必须诚实。
I had to be honest.
所以我告诉了别人,无论是朋友还是不太熟的人,我都会说:他离开了我。
So I told people, both friends and people I didn't know that well, I would say, he left me.
我不知道为什么,我正承受着巨大的痛苦。
I have no idea why, and I'm in agony.
这只能是我能说的了。
It was all I could say.
我认为人们不仅对这个故事感到震惊,更对我竟然说出口感到震惊。
And I think people were genuinely shocked, not just by the story, but that I was saying it.
哇。
Wow.
你说出了那些话。
You said those words.
我痛苦不堪。
I am in agony.
我痛苦不堪。
I am in agony.
我的意思是,这太真实了。
I mean, it's so honest.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我明白你说的,你无法撒谎而熬过这一切,但这种诚实,我们通常不会向别人展示我们内心这样真实的部分。
What what made you I mean, I I I hear what you're saying that you couldn't tell a lie and survive this, but that kind of honesty is not something we often that part of ourselves, that honest part of us, that's something we often show people.
是的。
Yes.
而且你当然没有。
What and certainly you didn't.
是什么促使你如此坦诚?
What motivated you to to be so honest?
我觉得
I think
我感觉自己有一道敞开的伤口。
I felt like I had this open wound.
嗯。
Mhmm.
对吧?
Right?
我当时在流血,我无法解释自己的存在,甚至在对话中无法正常交流,除非我说出我为什么在流血,为什么我无法正常说话。
And and like I was bleeding, and I couldn't kind of explain my presence or even operate in a conversation without saying this is why I'm bleeding, and this is why I can't actually talk normally.
而且我觉得我当时在寻找救命的绳索。
And and I think I was looking for life ropes.
我只是在找某种……我不知道。
I just was, like, looking for some kind of I I don't know.
只是想找家清洁公司。
Just Cleaning company in it.
嗯。
Yeah.
你说你很诚实。
You said that you were honest.
那是你生存的唯一方式。
It was the only way to survive.
我们稍微谈了谈你成长的环境,我猜谨慎是
We talked a bit about sort of, like, the world that you grew up in, and I imagine discretion is
其中的一部分。
a part of that.
没错。
Yep.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我想知道,到底是什么促使你打破这种规范?
I guess I really wanna know, like, what compelled you to kinda break that norm?
我觉得对我来说,很早就出现的一个原因是,我母亲和祖母的伴侣都曾有不忠行为。
I think part of it for me that came up very early was that both my mother and my grandmother had infidelity in their relationships.
她们总是非常优雅、非常从容,但这种优雅实际上是在保护那些男人。
And they were always very elegant, always very graceful, but in a way that really protected the men.
我从不感兴趣去贬低我的丈夫,但我感觉我不会以那种优雅的方式去掩盖这一切,把它扫到地毯底下,假装一切正常。
And I was never interested in, you know, kind of bashing my husband, but I I felt like I was not going to clean this up very gracefully and sweep it under the rug and say And keep appearances.
好吧。
Fine.
维持表面的体面。
Keep up appearances.
我认为,从中会获得某种力量。
And that that there was some kind of strength that would come from that.
我经常思考遗产的问题。
I think a lot about legacy.
我有两个女儿和一个儿子,他们同样重要。
I have two daughters and a son, equally important.
我希望通过这种方式,能够改变这一点。
And I'm I'm hoping that in doing it this way, that it might change that.
人们有什么反应?
How did people react?
你还记得人们有哪些具体的反应吗?
Do you remember specific a couple specific reactions people had?
这很有趣,因为在玛莎葡萄园,我们属于一个像网球俱乐部那样的组织。
It was an interesting thing because I in Martha's Vineyard, we belong to a club that's like a tennis club.
是的。
Yeah.
人们从五月和六月开始陆续回来,那里是一个非常已婚的社群。
And and people start coming back in May and June, and it's a very married place.
比如,我只知道有 couple 个人离婚了。
Like, I only know of a couple people who are divorced.
所以你感觉非常孤立。
So you feel very alienated.
你觉得自己像个外人,没错。
You feel like an alien Yeah.
这就是我想说的。
Is what I would say.
从一天到第二天,从感觉自己是群体一员、属于这个社区,突然变成觉得自己像个外人,这很难受,而我肯定不是唯一一个有这种感受的人。
And and that from one day to the next, to go from feeling like you're part of things and you're one of this community to feeling like an alien is is hard, and I'm certainly not alone in that.
我觉得很多离婚的人都会有这种感觉,当你从一边转向另一边时。
I think a lot of divorcing people feel that way when you go from one side to the other.
这是一种令人震惊的体验。
It's a it's a jarring experience.
你有没有觉得人们在背后议论你?
Did you have the sense that people were gossiping about you?
比如,你有没有意识到这一点?
Like, was that something you were aware of?
有。
Yes.
我也会去议论这件事的。
I would have been gossiping about it too.
我不怪他们,实际上我一点都不怪他们。
I don't blame I actually don't blame them for that.
这真是个挺戏剧性的故事,我觉得流言蜚语也可能是一种善意。
It was it's a pretty dramatic story, and I think gossip can be kind too.
你只是会说,她
You just say, is
还好吗?
she okay?
你能分享一个让你感到被孤立的时刻吗?
Is there one maybe moment you can share where you felt alien?
比如,有没有什么具体的事情浮现在你脑海中?
Like, is there a a thing that comes to mind?
有几次,人们谈论我的故事时,却把它描述成我丈夫和他情人之间的爱情故事,而完全忽略了我。
There were a couple of instances where people, spoke about my story where it was refrained that this was actually a love story, but my husband's love story with his mistress.
他离开其实是一件好事,因为他会过得幸福。
And it's actually a good thing that he left because he's going to be happy.
我只是在想,那我的爱情故事呢?我和我丈夫的爱情故事呢?
And I just thought, what about my love story with my husband?
为什么我会变成这场风波中的牺牲品,变成一个配角?
Like, how have I become the, you know, the the collateral in this The side character.
而不是主角。
Than like a a star player.
还有一次,有人直接开始夸我丈夫有多好,这虽然是个善意的评价,但在那种情境下却让我感到非常奇怪。
Or another instance where someone just launched into talking about how wonderful my husband was, which is a nice sentiment, but it felt very strange in that context.
但最让我难以承受的,是我多次听到的一句话:没人清楚谁才应该继续留在这个圈子里。
But the thing that was the hardest, which I heard a few times, was that it wasn't clear who should remain a member of the club.
就连我谈论这件事时,都觉得有点可笑,因为这不过是个小俱乐部,谁在乎呢,算了。
And even as I talk about this, it seems sort of silly because it's like the small club, who cares, whatever.
这是一个私人俱乐部。
It's a private club.
没人应该成为私人俱乐部的成员。
No one should be members of private clubs.
但在那一刻,这让我感到非常震惊。
But but in that moment, it felt so shocking to me.
你为什么不会呢?
Why would you not?
那是什么意思?
What does that mean?
因为这个俱乐部有个传统:如果你离婚了,只有一个人可以继续留在俱乐部,另一个人必须重新申请,而这个过程需要三年。
Because the club has a tradition that if you if you divorce, only one member can remain in the club, and the other member has to reapply, which is a three year process.
所以我一直以为我会是俱乐部的成员。
So I just assumed that I would be a member of the club.
我买了房子。
I had bought my house.
我和孩子们在一起。
I was with the kids.
是的。
Yeah.
他在纽约有外遇,但并不是每个人都清楚谁应该保留会员资格。
He was in New York having an affair, but that wasn't clear to everyone who should remain a member.
让我也说一句。
Well, let me just say too.
我的意思是,我知道,你知道,你有这种感觉。
I mean, I know that, you know, you know this and you feel it.
这当然不只是关于俱乐部。
It's not I mean, it's about the club, certainly.
你的意思是,但这也不仅仅是关于俱乐部本身,而是关于它所代表的意义。
I mean, you're but it also isn't about the it's like about what that represents.
对吧?
Right?
就像是你的人,嗯。
It's like your people Mhmm.
好像随时可能背弃你
Seeming like they could turn their back
就在一瞬间。
on you in a dime.
没错。
Yep.
因为这种情况。
Because of this circumstance.
谁还能留在俱乐部里?
Who was able to stay a part of the club?
告诉我,你当时是
Tell me that you were
我是。
I was.
好吧。
Okay.
我确实留在了俱乐部里,人们对我非常友好和善良。
I was I was able to stay a part of the club, and people have been very welcoming and kind to me.
在你之前就知道我很快乐的时候
Before you you knew that I'm happy
顺便说一下,听到这个我很高兴。
to hear that, by the way.
在你得知真相之前,你听到了这些传言,
Before you knew that and you were hearing these rumors,
那让你感觉如何?
how did that make you feel?
我感到深受伤害。
I felt deeply wounded.
真的深受伤害。
Really deeply wounded.
顺便说一下,我正在谈论这个。
By the way, I'm talking about this.
生活中有太多更糟糕的事情,但我们却偏偏要走这条路。
There are so many worse things that happen in life, but we're like, we're we're going down this road.
所以我认为,这反映了当女性离婚后,失去婚姻地位时的感受,尤其是当她们嫁给一个有钱的男人,拥有那些你本以为会得到的待遇时,却遭遇了意想不到的对待。
So I think it it is reflective of when when women divorce and they lose that status of being married, especially to a man who has money and all those things that you you can be treated in a way you do not expect.
被抛弃。
Discarded.
被抛弃。
Discarded.
我感觉被他抛弃了。
I felt I felt discarded by him.
说得太对了。
That's exactly right.
我感到被他抛弃了,然后我想,我也可能被我的社群抛弃。
I felt discarded by him, and then I thought I could be discarded by my community.
而且,比如说,我很感谢你提到,确实有更糟糕的事情。
And if let's just say, I appreciate you saying, you know, there are worse things.
当然,那是有的。
Of course, there are.
不是每个人都属于某个俱乐部。
Not all of us belong to a club.
一个三年的申请流程。
A three year application process.
我想,我会把名字报上去,但我觉得反正也不会成功。
I'm like, I'll throw my name in the hat, but I don't think it's gonna anyway.
你知道的?
You know?
但问题是,这是你的个人处境。
But it's like, this is your that's your personal context.
但你所描述的这些——痛苦、疏离感、被抛弃的感觉,还有‘我现在对你们来说还有什么价值?’
But the things you're describing, this pain, this alienation, this feeling discarded, this feeling like, what's my value now to you all?
或者我在主动联系。
Or I'm reaching out.
你会回应我吗?
Are you going to reach back out towards me?
我觉得,这些事情跨越了背景和阶级。
Like, these things, I think, cross context and class.
我们就直说吧。
Let's just say it.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
它们确实就是这样。
Like, they just they do.
这是我的希望。
Is my hope.
而这正是我想写这本书的部分原因。
And that's that is part of my desire to write the
书。
book.
而且
And
那段时间有一些非常艰难的时刻,我想人们都聚焦在那些上面。
there were some very difficult moments, and I think people focus on those.
但总的来说,充满了善意。
But by and large, there was such kindness.
人们因为你知道,大家都在谈论这件事。
People because you know people are talking about it.
是的。
Yeah.
从这段经历中,我学到的一件事是,无论发生什么,无论别人经历了什么,说点什么通常都是正确的选择。
And one thing I've learned from the experience is no matter what it is, no matter what has happened to somebody, it usually is the right thing to say something.
是的。
Yeah.
当有人主动伸出援手,无论是通过短信,还是那个坐在我客厅里说‘发生的事是不对的’的男人。
And when someone reaches across, whether by text or or that man who sat in my living room and said, what's happening is not okay.
我记得你书中的这个场景。
I remember this scene from your book.
是的。
Yeah.
你能让我更深入地了解这个场景吗?
Can you bring me into that?
你当时有一些朋友来访。
You had some friends over.
是的。
Yeah.
他们住在海外,是第一批返回岛屿的夫妇之一。
They were they lived overseas, and they were one of the first couples to come back to the island.
我陪着他的妻子散步,她知道所有正在发生的事情。
And I walked with the wife, and she knew everything that was going on.
她说,我丈夫想过来和你谈谈。
And she said, my husband wants to come over and talk to you.
我见过他,因为我们的儿子是朋友,但我并不了解他,也不清楚会有什么样的情况。
And I had met him because our sons were friends, but I didn't know him well, and I didn't know what to expect.
是的。
Yeah.
他们来了,坐在我的客厅里,我们一起喝了茶。
And they came and they sat in my living room, and we had tea.
他放下茶杯,说:我看到你在散步。
And he put down his tea and he said, I see you walking.
我看到你在减肥。
I see you losing weight.
我看到你处于应激状态。
I see that you are in fight or flight.
我想让你知道,在疫情期间离开你的家人是错误的。
And I want you to know that leaving your family during a pandemic is wrong.
他现在对待你的方式是错误的。
How he's treating you now is wrong.
如果有人告诉你这不是错误的,不要听他们的。
And if anyone tells you it isn't, don't listen to them.
他说,如果他试图回来,你应该把大门上锁。
And he said, if he tries to come back here, you should padlock the gate.
哇。
Wow.
这非常明确,毫不含糊。
And it was so clear and so unequivocal.
我觉得,在那一刻,有一个男人如此明确地表达,尤其具有意义。
And it felt, I think, particularly meaningful in that moment to have a man be clear about it.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
你应该把大门锁上。
You should padlock the gate.
嗯。
Yeah.
你当时同意他的观点吗?
Did you agree with him in that moment?
嗯,那是我第一次认真思考这个问题,因为他在告诉我设立界限的重要性。
Well, it was kind of the first time I had thought about that because it's it's telling me to have a boundary.
嗯。
Yeah.
我认为,作为女性,我们常常被教导说,做一个好前伴侣就该没有界限,你应该做三明治。
And I think as women, we're often taught that to be a good ex, there should be no boundary and that you you should make the sandwich.
做三明治,你应该为了孩子的利益欢迎对方回来。
Sandwich, and you should welcome the person back for the good of the children.
从那一刻起,我确实设立了界限,这些界限对我帮助很大。
And from that moment, actually, I have set boundaries, and those boundaries have been very helpful to me.
继续和我们在一起。
Stay with us.
交易全球金融市场并不容易。
Trading the world's financial markets isn't easy.
但交易可能很复杂,并不意味着你的经纪商也必须如此。
But just because trading can be tricky doesn't mean that your broker has to be.
在Capital.com,我们希望让您的交易体验尽可能顺畅。
At capital.com, we want to make your trading experience as painless as possible.
无论您是在我们的清晰易用平台上开立账户还是开仓,请立即访问capital.com,了解我们如何帮助您更聪明地交易。
Whether you're opening an account or opening a position on our clear user friendly platform, head to capital.com today and find out how we can help you trade smarter.
差价合约涉及
CFDs involve a
高度风险。
high level of risk.
83%的零售投资者亏损。
Eighty three percent of retail investors lose money.
《纽约时报》应用里有很多你可能没注意到的内容。
The New York Times app has all this stuff that you may not have seen.
顶部的标签页包含了所有不同的板块。
The way the tabs are at the top with all of the different sections.
我可以立即跳转到某个内容
I can immediately navigate to something
正好符合我当下的心情。
that matches what I'm feeling.
我总是去看游戏板块。
I go to games always.
玩小游戏。
Doing the mini.
玩填字游戏。
Doing the Wordle.
我很喜欢它让我接触到这么多内容。
I loved how much content it exposed me to.
我从未想过会向新闻应用寻求这些内容。
Things that I never would have thought to turn to a news app for.
这个应用必不可少。
This app is essential.
《纽约时报》应用。
The New York Times app.
所有时间,全部汇集在一起。
All of the times, all in one place.
立即前往 nytimes.com/app 下载。
Download it now at nytimes.com/app.
你正在玛莎葡萄园。
You're on Martha's Vineyard.
最终,你回到了纽约。
Eventually, you returned to New York.
嗯。
Mhmm.
还有离婚程序
And divorce proceedings
立即开始。
start immediately.
是的。
Yes.
当你告诉我他离开时,你丈夫说,你可以留下房子。
When you told me about him leaving, your husband said, you can take the house.
你可以带走孩子。
You can have the kids.
我一样都不要。
I don't want any of it.
嗯。
Mhmm.
所以那是他提出的抚养权安排之一吗?
So was that the custody arrangement that he suggested as one?
我实际上提交了我的律师,并提出了一份五五分的监护协议,因为那是我小时候希望得到的安排。
I actually served up my lawyer and I served up a fifty fifty custody agreement because that's what I would have wanted as a kid.
我小时候的安排很七十年代,每两周才能见一次父亲。
I had a very seventies arrangement where I only saw my father every other weekend.
但我想要五五分。
But I wanted fifty fifty.
我希望孩子们能按照我们决定的方式来回往返,平分节假日和假期。
I wanted him the kids to go back and forth in whatever way we decided, split holidays and vacations.
他把协议退了回来,用黑线划掉了他所有的时间。
He sent it back black lined with all of his time taken out.
他不希望孩子们来回奔波。
He he did not want them to have to go back and forth.
他认为他们已经是完全成熟的成年人了。
He thought that they were fully formed human beings.
他们当时多大?
How old were they?
他们分别是12岁、15岁和18岁,所以并不是小孩子。
They were 12, 15, and 18, so they were not tiny.
但我12岁的孩子真的很想在12岁时,
But my 12 year old really wanted a 12 years old,
我的意思是。
I mean.
对不起。
I'm sorry.
在他家。
At his house.
但他并没有这样做。
And he did not do that.
当我收到那份被删掉所有时间安排的监护协议时,这真的让我震惊。
So that really shocked me when I got that custody agreement back with all of the time taken out.
这让我和我的孩子们都感到非常痛苦。
And that was that was very painful and painful for my kids.
我无法想象。
I can't imagine.
我真的很难过。
I'm really sorry.
我的意思是,看到那些被涂黑的部分一定很痛苦,正如你所说,真的非常痛苦。
I mean, just seeing that blacked out must have been I mean, as you say, really painful.
到目前为止,他一直是个称职的父亲吗?
Had he been an attentive father up to this point?
他一直是个非常善良、温柔的父亲。
He had been a very kind and sweet father.
他带女儿们去看每一场音乐剧。
He had been, he took the girls to every musical.
每个周末他都带她们去吃小笼包。
He took them to soup dumplings every weekend.
他带我们的儿子去早上5点的冰球训练。
He took our son to 5AM hockey practice.
他从不大喊大叫,正如我所说。
He was not a yeller, as I've said.
他对他们非常温柔和体贴。
He was very loving and sweet with them.
但他从不陪他们睡觉、洗澡或吃晚饭。
But he he did not do bedtime, bath, dinner with them.
他不想做这些。
He did not want to.
他一直在工作。
He was working.
所以我觉得,我不会说他非常亲力亲为,但他是个非常可爱的父亲。
So I think we I I wouldn't say he was, like, very hands on, but he was a very lovely father.
所以这并不是一次巨大的破裂?
So this wasn't a massive rupture?
我的意思是,这其实是
I mean, this was
这是一个巨大的变化,出乎我的意料。
This was a big change and not what I would have expected.
我认为在他心里,他认为自己在做对他们有益的事,让他们不必这样来回奔波。
I I believe in his mind, he thought he was doing something that was good for them, that they wouldn't have to do this back and forth.
但我和孩子们谈起这件事时,说他只是没能建立起一个家。
But the way I talk about it with the kids is he just was has not been able to create a home.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。