本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
嘿,怪人们,我是阿什。
Hey weirdos, I'm Ashe.
我是艾琳娜。
And I'm Alaina.
这是莫布里德。
And this is Morbid.
这事儿真够阴森的,而且最近几天发生了好多事。
This is morbid and man, there's a lot going on the last couple days.
你知道为什么吗?
Do you know why?
因为该死的夏令时。
Because it's stupid daylight savings time.
我他妈痛恨夏令时,我真他妈痛恨它。
I fucking hate daylight savings I fucking hate it.
这是个
Is this a
有争议的观点?
polarizing opinion?
我不这么认为。
I don't think so.
所以我觉得,因为会失去一小时,所以不喜欢它并不算有争议。
So I don't I don't think it's polarizing to not like it because of the whole like you lose an hour thing.
是的。
Yeah.
但人们喜欢白天更长、阳光更多的日子。
But people love the longer days with more sunlight.
那才是有争议的。
That's polarizing.
我是说,
That's I mean,
我简直把这事搞得天怒人怨。
I just polarized the shit out of this.
我讨厌它。
I hate it.
是的。
Yeah.
我更喜欢黑暗。
I much prefer darkness.
我想要更长的夜晚。
I want a longer night.
对。
Yeah.
给我更长的夜晚。
Give me a longer night.
当太阳四点就落山时,我特别开心。
When the sun sets at four, I'm so happy.
而且我只是习惯了某种方式,然后它突然反过来,让我很烦。
Well, and I just I get used to one way and then it flips the other way and it's pissing me off.
我以前有个特别好的作息习惯,总是起得特别早,在孩子们醒来之前就起床了。
I I was in such a good, like, routine of getting up super early and getting up way before the kids get up.
但现在我的身体不知道现在几点了,总是越睡越晚,早上再也得不到在大家醒来前的独处时间了。
And now my body doesn't know what time it is, so it keeps waking up later and then I don't get my time in the morning before everyone wakes up.
这真的把我搞崩溃了。
It's really fucking me up.
其实我反而很喜欢相反的情况,我是说冬令时。
I actually weirdly like, I mean the opposite.
我感觉在夏令时调整后,睡得反而更好了。
I've been waking up better with daylight savings.
但每次醒来我都挺困惑的,心想:现在是5:30吗?
But I'm like confused when I wake up because I'm like, is it 05:30?
还是6:30?
Is it 06:30?
我到底在哪?
Where am I?
我不喜欢这个。
I don't like it.
我想废除它。
And I wanna abolish it.
是的。
Yeah.
我也想废除它。
I wanna abolish it too.
过去几年每次发生这种情况时,我都想:我们不是已经取消这个了吗?
I also every time that it happens last couple years, I'm like, didn't we get rid of this?
我觉得我们几十年来一直在试图废除它。
I feel like we've been trying to for decades.
我发誓全美各地的法院已经投票了无数次,我们都说了:算了吧。
I swear courts across the nation have voted millions of times and we've all said, nah.
我觉得我们都说过再也不想要这个了,但政府却说:我根本不在乎。
I think we've all said we don't want this anymore, but then the government was like, I literally don't give a fuck.
我以为政府其实很在意这一件事。
I thought the government actually cared about this one.
是的。
Yeah.
我正想说,你以为政府真的在意这一件事。
I was gonna say, you thought the government actually cared about this one.
我是说这一件事。
About this one, I said.
不,没有。
Nah.
他们对任何事都不在意。
They don't care about anything.
是的。
Yeah.
没有。
No.
他们才不在乎。
They don't.
但我们现在
But here we
仍然在处理夏令时的问题。
are dealing with daylight savings time still.
简直太残酷了。
It's fucking brutal.
确实如此。
Fucking a.
你还有什么别的,应该告诉人们去买你的书。
Anything else you got, you should tell people to buy your book.
是的。
Yeah.
去买我的预售书吧,《屠夫传承》。
Buy buy my preorder my book, The Butcher Legacy.
这是《医生》系列的第三部。
It's the third in the Doctor.
《伦·穆勒》系列。
Wren Muller series.
有签名版出售吗?
And there's signed editions available?
有的。
There is.
我不知道是否
I don't know if
它们还有货。
they're still available.
我刚说有签名版,你说有。
I just said there's signed editions available and you said there is.
我不知道它们是否还有货。
I don't know if they're available.
曾经有,我该这么说。
There was, I should say.
也许还会再有。
Maybe there'll be more.
不过我不确定。
I don't know though.
如果现在卖完了,那目前就没有了。
Not right not at this moment if they're sold out right now.
好的。
Okay.
不过,你还是可以买未签名的版本。
Well, you could still buy an unsigned edition.
你可以买你想买的任何版本。
You can buy so many editions that you want.
还有特别版。
There's special editions.
我本来
I was
正要说特别的。
gonna say special.
那些普通版在我心里也是特别的。
There's regular editions that are still special in my heart.
是的。
Yeah.
你可以预购所有版本。
You can preorder them all.
你可以在butcherlegacy.com上购买,无论你想在哪里买。
You can do it at butcherlegacy.com anywhere you wanna get it.
无论你在哪里,只要感到与这本书有联系,就可以购买。
Anywhere you feel connected to that you wanna purchase this book.
购买,我支持。
Purchase I support it.
你真好。
That's really nice of you.
是的。
Yeah.
我支持你。
I support you.
你们互动的时候,
The interaction where you
你说他们有货,然后你又说,有是有的,但又没有。
were like, I said they're available, then you were like, they are, but they're not.
这让我想起了一件事,我们先不谈这个。
Just reminded me of something before we actually get into this.
你会喜欢这个的。
You'll love this.
前几天我看了《Watch What Happens Live》,安迪对汤姆·桑多瓦尔说,汤姆正在聊他是怎么遇到克里斯滕和她宝宝的。
I was watching Watch What Happens Live the other night, and Andy said to Tom Sandoval, he like, Tom Sandoval was talking about how he met Kristen and like her baby.
这是《范德普夫规则》,如果你感兴趣的话。
This is Vanderpump Rules in case you're interested.
是的。
Yeah.
如果你对我所说的内容感兴趣的话。
And In case you're interested in what I'm talking about.
如果你对
In case you're interested in what
我得说。
I have to say.
所以安迪说,那一定很奇怪。
And so Andy was like, that must have been so strange.
或者像,天哪,太疯狂了。
And or like, oh my god, like, was crazy.
汤姆说,是啊,真的很奇怪。
And Tom was like, yeah, it was so strange.
然后他话说到一半就停了,安迪说,是啊,那一定很奇怪。
And then he kind of trailed off and Andy was like, yeah, that must have been strange.
然后汤姆说,其实并不奇怪。
And then Tom goes, it wasn't strange though.
他只是说,你们俩在说什么鬼东西?
It was just like, what the fuck are you guys talking about?
你们俩都是这样。
Like, you're both of you.
对吧?
Right?
他当时
He was
说,是啊,那真的很奇怪,一定很奇怪。
like, yeah, it was so strange and it must have been strange.
但其实根本一点都不奇怪。
But it wasn't even strange.
我们得出的结论是,那很奇怪,但其实并不奇怪。
What we've determined is that it was strange, but it wasn't.
那太疯狂了。
It was crazy.
所以就有这么一回事。
So there was that.
那是一种说不清的东西。
It was something.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道吗?
So you know what?
他们是有空的,但其实没有。
They're available, but they're not.
事情就是这样的。
That's just the way it is.
我最近听说的是,他们可能已经脱离了那个星座。
I think that's what I've heard recently is that they might be out of the sign.
看你卖得这么起劲。
Look at you selling shit out.
但你知道吗?
But you know what?
如果你有需求,告诉我。
If you have demand, let me know.
因为我要做的就是让自己更辛苦,一直签下去,直到永远。
Because one thing I will do is make my life harder and continue signing things till the end of time.
你在这颗星球上最喜爱的消遣之一,摩羯座。
One of your favorite pastimes on this planet, Capricorn.
是的。
Yeah.
我向全球所有的摩羯座说,就是要让你们的生活更艰难。
Speaking all of my Capricorns worldwide is to make your fucking lives harder.
我旁边堆了一大摞签名册,我正在签,别忘了让你们的人都拿到。
I've got a whole stack of, tippins right next to me that I'm signing to I don't make sure you guys have them.
我不是想过分吹捧你,但我不知道你怎么做到的。
I'm not trying to, like, toot your horn, like, excessively, but I don't know how you do it.
谢谢你。
Thank you.
我不想多说。
I don't wanna do a lot
有时候。
Sometimes.
了。
Of
是的。
Yeah.
我猜也是。
I bet.
我累了,而且我也没做多少事。
I'm tired and I don't even do much.
所以今天早上我对德鲁说,我得停止再说‘我不想做’了。
So I like I said to Drew this morning, I was like, I gotta stop saying I don't feel like it.
我总说‘我不想做’
I say I don't feel like it
我不觉得
I don't feel
想做。
like it.
太频繁了,而你根本没注意到。
So frequently and I'm like, you've never noticed.
我不确定我有没有留意过。
I don't know if I have clocked that.
好吧,现在你不会再听到了,因为我再也不说了。
Well, now you won't because I'm not saying it anymore.
我把它换成‘我有机会’。
I'm switching it with I get to.
我有机会。
I get to.
我有机会
I get
去。
to.
好的。
Okay.
比如,哦,我今天不想去上班。
Like, oh, I don't feel like going to work today.
我今天有机会去上班。
I get to go to work today.
是的。
Yeah.
我有正当的工作。
I'm gainfully employed.
哦。
Oh.
我有这种感觉。
I feel like it.
有一种很好的方式可以为你的生活带来一些美好。
There's a nice way to bring some some goodness into your life.
哦,别觉得
Oh, don't feel
今天想开车回家。
like driving home today.
我有辆车
I have a car
而且我可以开车
and I get to drive
回家。
to my home.
我有个家可以开车回去。
And I get a home to drive to.
头上有个遮风挡雨的地方。
A shelter over my head.
我不觉得。
I don't feel
不想带狗出去。
like taking the dog out.
我他妈有条狗。
I have a fucking dog.
我可以去散步。
And I can go walk.
我可以散步。
I can walk.
是的。
Yeah.
你懂的?
You know?
你能明白,我喜欢这样。
You get I like that.
是的。
Yeah.
实际上,我真的很喜欢这样。
Actually, I really like that.
我在努力。
I'm trying.
一开始,你会觉得有点傻。
It's some At first, you feel a little silly.
但你会感觉有点疯癫。
But you feel little zany.
没关系。
It's okay.
需要更多搞笑的元素。
There needs to be more silly.
但我得停止说‘我不想做’,因为我在创造
But I I have to stop saying I don't feel like it because I'm I'm creating
一个糟糕的世界。
a bad world.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,你可以让自己感觉很无聊。
Well, you can just you make yourself feel like bleh.
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
一直如此。
All the time.
但没错。
But yeah.
我的意思是,这个故事的寓意是,如果你真的想要更多签名版,就不断跟我提,因为这会管用。
The I mean, the moral of the story is if you really want more signed copies, keep yelling at me about it because it'll work.
是的。
Yeah.
她不会说,
She won't say,
我不
I don't
想做。
feel like it.
我会说,我有机会签这些副本。
She'll say, I get to sign these copies.
因为这本质上就是我想说的。
Because that's essentially what I say.
我会为你们签上一百万份副本。
I will sign a million copies for
你们。
you guys.
签自己写的书的副本真是一件很酷的事。
That's a cool thing to sign copies.
我会做的。
I'll do it.
我一直以来都想要签一些自己写的书的副本。
I have I have always wanted to sign copies of a book I wrote.
而你们就在这里。
And here you are.
永远如此。
Forever.
我最近也读到了她正在做的一个非常酷的东西。
I also just read something pretty cool that she's working on.
我真的很兴奋,但不能多说,不过这真的很
I'm really excited about I can't say anything else, but it's
酷。
really cool.
大家稍等一下。
Hang tight everybody.
好的。
Alright.
那么我们今天来讨论这个案例。
So let's get into the case today.
这个案子是戴夫发现的。
This one, Dave found.
戴夫,我们的研究员。
Dave, our researcher.
大卫。
David.
我以前没听说过这个,这很正常,因为这件事发生在九十年代,但一直延续到我出生后的时代。
And I hadn't heard of this before, which makes sense because it was like in the nineties, but it carries on into a time when I was alive.
哦。
Oh.
或者说是,你知道的,有意识的。
Or and like, you know, conscious.
是的。
Yeah.
有意识的。
Conscious.
你刚才说你不确定是否听说过这个案例。
And you were saying you weren't sure if you had heard of this case.
是的。
Yeah.
我不确定这到底是什么内容。
I wonder if when I I have I don't know what it's about.
我只看过这个标题。
I've only seen the title of this.
是的。
Yeah.
所以当你提到它的时候,可能会让你想起些什么。
So maybe when you're talking about it, it might ring a bell.
我不知道它会不会让你想起什么。
I wonder if it will ring your bell.
我们只是在唱那首歌。
We're just singing that.
但这太疯狂了。
But it's it's crazy.
我真的很期待深入探讨这个。
Like, I'm excited to get into this one.
幸运的是,他会告诉你,这个问题已经解决了。
And thankfully, will tell you, it is solved.
但这个案件仍然充满许多谜团。
But there is still a lot of mystery surrounding the case.
好的。
Okay.
这真的很奇怪。
It's it's strange.
有意思。
Interesting.
1999年,18岁的泽布·奎恩正在寻找一辆新车。
So in the 1999, 18 year old Zebb Quinn was in the market for a new car.
两年来,他放学后一直在当地沃尔玛工作。
For two years, he was working at the local Walmart Walmart after school.
周末的时候,他总是忙着工作。
And on weekends, he was always working.
他成功存下了一笔可观的钱。
And he managed to save a solid amount of money.
所以2000年1月2日,他的一位前同事杰森·欧文斯来到沃尔玛找泽布,说:嘿,我认识一个人在卖车。
So on 01/02/2000, one of his former coworkers, Jason Owens, visited Zebb at Walmart and said, hey, I know this guy who's selling a car.
我觉得你可能会喜欢这辆车。
I think you might like the car.
你想去看看吗?
Do you wanna check it out?
我们可以在你下班后今晚就去。
We can go tonight after you get off work.
是的。
Yeah.
所以泽布说:当然好啊。
So Zebb was like, hell yeah.
我一直在找车。
I've been looking for a car.
走吧。
Let's go.
所以不久之后,他们被看到一起走出了商店。
So a short time later, they were seen walking out of the store together.
在停车场,他们各自上了车,杰森在前面带路,前往卖车人的家,泽布紧随其后。
Out in the parking lot, they both got into their respective cars and Jason led the way to the home of a person who was selling the car with Zebb close behind him.
途中,他们在一个便利店停了一下,然后继续上路。
Now along the way, they stopped at a convenience store and then they got back on the road.
但离开便利店停车场后不久,泽布的传呼机突然收到了一条紧急信息。
But not long after leaving the store's parking lot, Zebb apparently got an urgent message on his pager.
传呼机。
Pager.
是的。
Yeah.
不。
No.
太疯狂了。
Crazy.
他开始闪车灯,示意杰森靠边停车。
And he started flashing his headlights indicating to Jason, like, pull over.
于是杰森把车停在路边,泽布跑过来解释说他收到了一条消息,必须立刻回电。
So Jason said on the side of the road, Zebb ran over and explained he got a message and he needed to he returned that call immediately.
好吧。
So like Okay.
计划泡汤了。
The plan was off.
现在,泽布对这通电话显得异常恐慌,这很不寻常。
Now, Zebb apparently seemed uncharacteristically panicked about this call.
他问能不能用杰森的手机,但杰森没有手机。
And he asked if he could use Jason's cell phone, but Jason didn't have a cell phone.
因为那是1999年。
Because it's 1999.
因为那是九十年代。
Because it's the nineties.
他当时说,也许你可以回便利店用那部电话。
And he was like, maybe you can go back to the convenience store to use that phone.
显然,泽布真的去打了。
And apparently, Zebb did.
好吧。
Okay.
大约十分钟后,晚上9点30分左右,泽布回到了杰森等在路边的地方,杰森正悠闲地待着。
So about ten minutes later, around 09:30 at night, Zebb returned to where Jason was waiting on the side of the road, just chilling.
当他从后方驶近那辆车时,他实际上非常慌张,以至于在停车时不小心追尾了杰森的车,
When he pulled up behind the other car, he was actually so frantic that he accidentally rear ended Jason's car when
他过来时
he came
停下的那一刻。
to a stop.
就像发生了大事一样。
Like, big was going on.
是的。
Yeah.
他立刻道歉,并说他会赔偿所有损失。
He immediately apologized and said he would pay for everything.
但他还是说:‘对不起。’
But he was like, I'm sorry.
我们得稍后再处理细节,因为我现在真的得走了。
We have to work out the details later because I actually have to go, like, right now.
什么?!
What the fuck?
是的。
Yeah.
所以杰森问:‘你还想去看那辆车吗?’
So Jason was like, do you still wanna go see the car?
但泽布说这事得等等。
But Zebb said it would have to wait.
他回到车里,飞快地开走了,却丝毫没有透露是谁打电话给他,或者到底有什么急事。
And he got back in his car and sped off without giving any indication as to who called him and what was so urgent.
哇。
Wow.
这很难受,因为你心里很想问:到底发生什么事了?
And that's hard because you wanna be like, what's going on?
比如,到底怎么了?
Like, what's happening?
但你又不想,像那样,打探太多,对吧?
But you don't wanna, like, pry Right.
如果他没有主动提供信息的话。
If he's not offering the information.
就是这样。
That's the thing.
而且我觉得他们并没有特别亲近。
And I don't think they were, like, super close.
他们只是
They were just
她可能觉得
like She probably felt
以前的同事。
old coworkers.
你知道的?
You know?
所以他不会去关心你的私生活怎么样。
So he's not gonna be like, what's going on in your personal life?
对。
Right.
没错。
Exactly.
那是最后有人见到泽布·奎恩的时候。
Now that was the last time that anybody saw Zebb Quinn.
什么?
What?
是的。
Yeah.
所以当天晚上稍晚些时候,大约晚上10点,泽布的母亲丹尼斯给他留言在寻呼机上,希望并期待他随时会回电话。
So a little later that night around 10PM, Zebb's mother Denise called her son's pager and left a message hoping and expecting that, you know, he would call her back at any minute.
他和妈妈一直非常非常亲密。
He was always super, super close with his mom.
他们彼此是最好的朋友。
Like, they were each other's best friend.
所以当他没有像往常那样迅速回电时,她觉得这很奇怪。
So when he didn't return her call as quickly as he usually did, she thought it was strange.
她想,好吧,也许他下班后去和谁打台球了。
She was like, okay, maybe he went out to play pool with, like, somebody after work.
是的
Yeah.
她心想,我现在先不往坏处想。
She was like, I'm not gonna think too much of this right now.
但随着夜晚渐深,黛尼斯越来越紧张。
So as the evening wore on though, Denise started to get more and more nervous.
时间一点一点过去。
More time is going by.
他还是没有回音。
He's not answering.
她开始真正感到担心。
And she starts to get seriously worried.
她后来说,他从不忽略任何一条寻呼信息。
She later said, he never returned any of his pages.
我不断醒来,一遍又一遍地给他发寻呼。
I kept waking up and paging him.
我一定给他打了四次传呼。
I must have paged him four times.
哎呀。
Aw.
他不接母亲的电话本来就不符合他的性格,而且齐布整夜不归,还不告诉妈妈或妹妹他去哪儿了,这更是非常反常。
Not only was it out of character for him to ignore his mother's phone calls, it was also really out of character for Zebb to stay out all night, especially without telling his mom or his sister where he would be.
他的妹妹布兰迪后来说,我很快就担心起来了。
His sister Brandi said later, pretty quickly I was worried.
他不是一个典型的青少年。
He wasn't a normal teenage boy.
他并不叛逆。
He wasn't rebellious.
这真的非常不符合他的性格。
It was just really out of character.
这一定很可怕。
That must have been horrifying.
另外,如果你查一下他,他长得可爱极了。
Also, if you look him up, he is as cute as a button.
是啊,他确实很可爱。
Like Oh, he is.
我刚查了他一下。
I just looked him up.
他看起来简直就是个甜心。
He just seems like a sweetheart.
是的。
Yeah.
她那种脸型,一看就让人觉得,哦。
Like, she that kind of face that you're just like, oh.
对。
Yeah.
我还特别喜欢她那样说‘不’的样子。
And I just love her being like, no.
他可不是那种叛逆的青少年。
Like, he's not a rebellious teenager.
他看起来简直就是一只泰迪熊一样。
Like, he's he literally seen he gave off like teddy bear as
他是个好孩子。
He's a good kid.
你知道的。
You know?
是的。
Yeah.
第二天早上,当泽布还没回家时,他的母亲和妹妹开始慌了。
So the next morning when Zebb still hadn't come home, his mother and sister at this point started to panic.
这已经不只是担心了。
It wasn't just worry anymore.
黛尼斯打电话给沃尔玛,主管告诉她,泽布前一天晚上九点多就打卡下班了,有几位同事看到他和杰森·欧文斯一起离开商店,但之后就再没人见过他。
Denise called Walmart where the supervisor informed her that Zebb had clocked out a little past nine the night before and a few of his coworkers saw him leave the store with Jason Owens, but nobody had seen him since.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
于是,丹妮丝又给泽布的几个朋友和一些同事打了电话,但都没人见过他。
So Denise made a few more calls to some of Zebb's friends, some more coworkers, but nobody had seen him.
那天下午,她仍然没有收到儿子的任何消息,别无选择,只能前往警察局报案。他没有接妈妈和妹妹的电话,也没有回家过夜,这并不只是因为他在家与妈妈和妹妹关系非常亲密才显得异常。
That afternoon, when she still hadn't heard from her son, she had no choice but to go to the police department and she filed a missing person's So his failure to return his mom's calls and his sister's calls and the fact that he didn't return home that night wasn't just unusual because of how close he was with his mom and how close he was with his sister.
但这也异常,因为除了家之外,他几乎不会去其他任何地方。
But it was also unusual because there were very few other places that he would have gone except for home.
他通常都待在家里。
Like, he usually hung out at home.
他一直是个典型的乖孩子,深受老师和社区其他人的喜爱。
He'd always been a stereotypical good kid who was well liked by teachers and other people in the community.
但不幸的是,交朋友对他来说从来都不是件容易的事。
But unfortunately, making friends was never easy for him.
他在这方面有点困难。
He kinda struggled at that.
哦,这让我心碎。
Oh, that breaks my heart.
这真的太让人难过了。
It's really sad.
人们太刻薄了。
People are so mean.
人们真的太他娘的刻薄了。
People are so fucking mean.
老兄,对人友善点就行。
Like, just be cool with with people, man.
对人温柔一点。
Be gentle with people.
就是这个道理。
That's the thing.
你根本不知道别人生活中正在经历什么。
Like, you don't know what's going on in people's lives.
我这是第一次做这种事。
I'm like fucking doing this for the first time.
天哪。
Like, Jesus Christ.
这太难了,我以前从来没穿过这种皮囊。
It's rough in this I haven't been in a skin suit before this.
我不
I don't
我觉得我不记得了。
think that I remember.
我觉得
I think
我有。
I have.
如果我有,我也想不起来了。
If I have, I don't remember it.
我想不起来了。
I don't remember.
这是他第一次有意识地。
It for the first time consciously.
这次。
This time.
是的。
Yeah.
这次和这个地方是第一次。
This time and place is the first time.
所以当他年轻时,他妈妈说他比其他同龄孩子小得多,也更笨拙,而且他还患有学习障碍,这让他非常自卑。
So when he was younger, his mom said he was a lot smaller and clumsier than And the other kids his he also had a learning disorder which made him really self conscious.
他偶尔在学校被一些混蛋、霸凌者针对。
And he was occasionally targeted by assholes at school, bullies.
他很难融入群体。
He struggled to fit in.
尽管如此,他确实通过体育活动和童子军认识了一些人,但那些人更像是熟人而不是朋友。
That said, he did have people that he met through sports and Cub Scouts, but they were kind of more acquaintances than friends.
他们并不经常一起玩
Like, they didn't hang out
不是经常。
on the regular.
那些关系没有变得更深入吗?
Those weren't like deepening relationships?
是的。
Yeah.
他也不会下班后去和他们一起消遣之类。
Not where he would like go hang out after work or anything like that.
甚至在工作时,就像我刚才说的,虽然他深受同事喜爱,但他实际上和店里很多年长的女性更亲近,而不是和同龄人。
And even at work, like I was just talking about, where he was adored by his coworkers, he was actually closer with a lot of the older women at the store than he was with anyone his own age.
天啊。
Oh, my God.
他听起来真可爱。
He sounds adorable.
不,他确实有。
No, he does.
而且,你得想想他是被女性带大的。
And also, you have to think he's being raised by women.
是的。
Yeah.
所以他从小就在家里和姐姐一起长大。
So he's just up in a house with his sister.
他妈妈很长一段时间都是他的主要抚养人。
His mom was like his primary parent for a long time.
他的祖母也深度参与了他的生活。
His grandmother was also very involved in his life.
所以,他背后有一群女性支持着他。
So like, he's got a strong line of ladies behind him.
所以,他就是那种典型的男生。
So he's that's that's a that's a guy right there.
对。
Right.
这就是你想要身边的人。
That's a guy you want around.
没错。
Exactly.
现在,如果他真有个最好的朋友,据说就是他妹妹布兰迪。
Now, if he did have a best friend at all, it was said to be his sister, Brandy.
天啊。
Oh my god.
我超喜欢这个。
Which I love.
我特别喜欢这一点。
I love this a lot.
所以在他十几岁中期,泽布加入了青少年预备役军官训练团,也就是ROTC。
So in his mid teens, Zebb got involved with the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps, which is ROTC.
这是他母亲记忆中他第一次表现出对某件事的强烈兴趣。
This was the first thing that he had ever expressed any strong interest in as far as his mom could remember.
一旦他加入这个项目,他就开始逐渐打开心扉。
And once he joined the program, he really started to come out of his shell there.
哎呀。
Aw.
尽管如此,泽布·奎恩却是最不可能在不告诉任何人的情况下失踪的人。
Now all of that said, Zebb Quinn was the last person anybody would expect to disappear without telling anybody.
他生活中没有人能想到他可能去的地方,或者会和谁一起私奔。
And no one in his life could think of anywhere that he could have gone or anyone he would have run off with.
是的。
Yeah.
他们完全不知所措。
They were at a loss.
他的人际圈很小。
He kept a small circle.
没人能想明白,他为什么会难过到直接离家出走,诸如此类的事情。
Nobody could think why he would be so upset that he just, you know, took off, anything like that.
对最了解他的人来说,他是个随和的人。
To those who knew him best, he was a laid back person.
他几乎不会被任何事情打乱阵脚。
He really didn't get rattled by anything.
所以,他失踪那晚收到那条消息后如此激动,这让人感到震惊。
So the fact that he had been so upset by the page he received on the night That's he went missing what's shocking.
这和他失踪一样不同寻常。
That was as unusual as the disappearance
本身。
itself.
因为你会想,到底
Because you're like, what
他妈的发生了什么?
the fuck was that?
对。
Right.
日子一天天过去,但齐布依然音讯全无。
Now days passed and there was still no word from Zebb.
在他失踪后的那个星期天,他在沃尔玛的老板帕蒂·金接到了一通非常奇怪的电话。
Then on the Sunday after he disappeared, his boss at Walmart, Patty King, got a really weird call.
她说,电话那头的人说:‘我是齐布·奎恩。’
She said, the person on the other end said, this is Zebb Quinn.
我今天不来上班了。
I will not be into work today.
我当时就想,这肯定不是齐布。
And I'm thinking, okay, this is not Zebb.
帕蒂过去两年一直是他的上司,她相当了解他,足以听出他的声音。
Patty had been his boss for the last two years and she knew him fair like fairly well enough to know his voice.
是的。
Yeah.
所以她这么做其实非常聪明。
So she actually This was really smart of her.
她装作不知情,试图套取更多信息,问对方在哪个部门工作,以及应该上什么班次。
She played dumb and she tried to get more information asking what, asking the caller what department he worked in and what shift he was supposed to work.
但电话那头的人说他们也不知道,然后直接挂断了电话。
But the other the person on the other end of the phone said they didn't know and just hung up.
哦,这简直吓死人了。
Oh, that's spooky as hell.
吓人。
Spooky.
这真的很不祥。
That's really ominous.
现在,我们的帕蒂还没完。
Now our girl Patty is not done yet.
帕蒂迅速反应,拨了69。
Thinking fast, Patty dialed 69.
哦,是哪一个?
Oh, which was?
你还记得那些日子。
You remember those days.
我记得那时候我们经常恶作剧打电话,就是拨69,它会接通上一个给你打电话的人。如果你不知道的话,这招是这样的:她发现刚才冒充泽布打电话的人,是从沃尔沃建筑公司打来的。
I remember that even from when we were like prank So calling when we were and for anybody that doesn't know, that's when you dial 69, it connects you with the last person who called So she discovered that the person who had just called pretending to be Zebb had called from Volvo Construction.
哦。
Oh.
但对方解释说,那家公司有很多部电话,他们不知道是谁用这个号码打过来的。
But the person on the other end explained that there were a lot of phones at that company, and they didn't know who contacted from that number.
但那家公司到底有多少部电话?
But it's like how many phones?
据说有700部。
Apparently, 700.
因为你应该
Because you should
去查一下,因为这个人失踪了。
go check because this person is missing.
不仅这个人
Not only is this
失踪了,还有人正在冒充你。
person missing, somebody is literally impersonating you.
是的。
Yeah.
这个人失踪了,现在有人替他们请假。
This person is missing and now somebody is calling out of work for them.
对。
Right.
叮,叮,叮。
Ding, ding, ding.
去把那个地方的所有该死的电话都查一遍。
Go look at every fucking phone in that place.
而且,我不
Also, I don't
知道这些是怎么运作的,但你不会觉得它们的号码应该都稍微不一样吗?
know how all that works, but wouldn't you think they would all have, like, slightly different numbers?
是的。
Yeah.
你确实会这么想。
You would think.
我不知道。
I don't know.
除非是有一个调度中心统一发送到其他手机。
Unless it's like one dispatch that sends out to other phones.
哦,这很有道理。
Oh, that's a good point.
所以就像你拨星69,它
So like you star 69 and it
会直接返回调度中心
goes right back to dispatch
所以他们做不到。
so they can't.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
好主意。
Good call.
尽管如此,帕蒂还是将这通奇怪的电话报告给了警方,警方立即展开了调查。
Well, nonetheless, Patty reported the strange call to the police and they followed up immediately.
在与泽布的一些同事交谈时,调查人员了解到,虽然他本人与沃尔沃建筑公司没有关联,但有人记得他的前同事贾森·欧文斯曾在那儿工作。
In discussions with some of Zebb's coworkers, investigators learned that while he himself had no connection to Volvo construction, some people recall that it was where his former coworker, Jason Owens, worked.
哦。
Oh.
也就是他最后被看到时在一起的人。
AKA the last person he was seen with.
所以侦探与欧文斯交谈,他承认自己打了那通给沃尔玛的电话,但他表示,那是在接到泽布的电话后才做的,泽布请他帮忙代为请假。
So detective spoke with Owens who admitted to making the call to Walmart, but he said he had only done so after he got a call from Zebb who asked if he could call in sick for him.
不。
No.
这很奇怪,如果泽布给你打电话,为什么他不直接打给沃尔玛,说今天来不了了呢?
Which like if Zebb is calling you, why wouldn't he just call Walmart himself and say like, can't come in today?
没错。
Exactly.
这说不通。
That makes no sense.
你为什么不直接对对方说,泽布没法打电话,但他让我代为请假呢?
Why wouldn't you just say to the person, hey, like, Zebb is unable to call but he wanted me to call in for him
而不是假装是他本人?
instead of pretending to be him?
没错。
Exactly.
不。
No.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,我不喜欢这样。
Well I don't like that.
这太诡异了。
It's fucking weird.
杰森告诉警察,他不知道为什么泽布不能自己请假。
Jason told the police he didn't know why Zebb couldn't call in sick for himself.
而且,除了那次电话之外,自从几天前他把泽布丢在路边、放弃一起去查看汽车的计划后,他就再也没见过或听过泽布的消息。
And that other than the call, he hadn't seen or heard from Zebb since he left him on the side of the road a few nights earlier after abandoning their plans to go look at the car.
对我们和调查人员来说,杰森·欧文斯的说法非常可疑。
Now, to us and investigators, Jason Owens' story was highly suspicious.
是的。
Yeah.
尤其是因为据所有人所知,他们并没有那么亲近。
Especially because as far as anybody knew, they weren't that close.
我想我之前说过,他们只是同事而已。
I think I said it earlier, they were just coworkers, really.
当警方调查泽布失踪后几天内杰森的行踪时,从沃尔沃的老板那里得知,杰森在第二天打电话说他因为一场轻微车祸而上班迟到。
And when police dug into Jason's whereabouts in the days immediately after Zebb's disappearance, they learned from his boss at Volvo that Jason had called in the day after to say he'd be late to work that day because he'd been in a minor car accident.
根据杰森的说法,那天早上他正赶去上班,遭遇了一场车祸,导致肋骨骨折和轻微头部受伤。
According to Jason, he had been on his way to work that morning and got in a car accident where he got a cracked rib and a minor head injury.
考虑到杰森还说泽布在他失踪的当晚追尾了他的卡车,调查人员觉得,你在不到24小时内遭遇两起车祸的可能性极低。
Considering that Jason also said that Zebb had rear ended his truck the night he went missing, investigators were like, yeah, it's highly unlikely that you would get into two car accidents in less than twenty four hours.
你真有那么倒霉吗?
Like, you're really that unlucky.
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
事实上,虽然杰森确实有一些轻微伤势,但当他们检查他的卡车时,发现损坏极其轻微,这明显表明他不太可能卷入了第二起车祸。
And in fact, while Jason did appear to have some minor injuries, when they checked his truck, there was very minimal damage, which definitely indicated that he probably hadn't been involved in a second car accident.
那你到底在说什么?
So what the fuck are you talking about?
怎么回事?
What's going on?
你是不是在试图为这些伤势找借口?
And are you maybe trying to explain away some injuries?
顺便说一下,他是在泽布失踪后的第二天去医院接受治疗的。
Because he went to the hospital and had those injuries treated, by the way, the day after Zebb went missing.
是的。
Yeah.
现在,杰森·欧文斯在本案中的异常行为和可疑解释,显然使他成为重点嫌疑人。
Now Jason Owens' strange behavior and questionable explanation for his involvement in the case obviously made him a person of interest.
但主要问题是,调查人员找不到任何证据表明他直接涉案,而且他通过了测谎测试。
But the main problem was that investigators couldn't find anything to say he was directly involved and he passed a polygraph.
这让我觉得特别有趣,测谎结果虽然不能作为法庭证据使用,但我们仍然在使用它。
Which is so it's so interesting to me that polygraphs aren't admissible in court evidence, but they are still something that we do.
我知道。
And like I know.
我们甚至会因为某人通过了测谎就排除他的嫌疑。
And we'll like dismiss people if they pass one.
这感觉几乎像是
It almost feels like
是的。
yeah.
这感觉弊大于利。
It feels like it's doing way more harm than good.
是的。
Yeah.
因为这就像污染了真正的证据。
Because it's just like tainting real evidence.
对。
Right.
因为这就像是,嗯,通过了测谎仪,然后就算了。
Because it's like, well, passed a polygraph and it's like, okay.
是的。
Yeah.
就像,如果你
Like, you can if
但问题是,如果我有这样一份真实具体的证据,却 somehow 让人觉得它可能并不真实。
you But it's like, if I don't if I have this piece of actual tangible proof that's somehow putting in someone's head that it could not be tangible.
对。
Right.
没错。
Exactly.
反过来,如果他们没通过,那就明显是有罪了。
And the other way around, like if they don't pass it, then it's like they're obviously guilty.
没错。
Exactly.
它在两种情况下都起作用
It it works I both
我觉得,既然它在法庭上不被采纳,也许我们该停止使用了。
think just the fact that it's not admissible in court is like maybe we should take it out of practice.
我不知道。
I don't I don't know.
这对我来说很奇怪。
It's just weird to me.
我觉得它不应该再被使用了。
It doesn't feel like it should be used anymore.
是的。
Yeah.
确实如此。
It does.
现在看起来像是白天了。
It seems day now.
尽管泽布突然失踪显得很奇怪且不符合他的性格,但在他失踪后的几天里,侦探们仍未找到任何确凿证据表明发生了实际犯罪。
Now, even though it was strange and out of character for Zebb to have suddenly gone missing, within a few days of that disappearance of his disappearance, detectives still had yet to find any evidence that an actual crime had occurred.
这就是问题所在。
That was the problem.
是的。
Yeah.
由于感到沮丧且觉得调查陷入僵局,他们重新回到了黛尼斯提交的失踪人员报告。
So frustrated and feeling like they were headed for a dead end, they went back to the missing persons report filed by Denise.
在仔细审查他的朋友和潜在联系人名单时,他们注意到了米丝蒂·泰勒,这个女孩的名字在调查中曾多次出现,但他们之前并未与她深入交谈过。
Going over the names of his friends and potential contacts, they came across Misty Taylor, a girl whose name had actually come up a few times in the investigation, but to whom they hadn't spoken to in any detail.
根据黛尼斯·奎恩的说法,米丝蒂是泽布最近结识的朋友之一,他在失踪前一个月左右对她产生了迷恋。
Now according to Denise Quinn, Misty was one of Zebb's newer friends who he had become infatuated with a month or so before he disappeared.
他们通过电话聊了几个小时,丹尼斯和任何亲近泽布的人都很明显地看出,他对她产生了感情。
They spent hours talking on the phone, and it was very clear to Denise and, like, anybody close to to Zeb that he had developed feelings for her.
好的。
Okay.
他的妹妹布兰迪说,我感觉他可能已经爱上了她。
His sister, Brandy, said, I got the feeling that he probably grew to love her.
哎呀。
Aw.
是的。
Yeah.
在相识几周后,不幸的是,泽布得知米丝蒂不仅已经有伴侣,而且还有一个年幼的孩子。
Now a few weeks after a few weeks of getting to know each other, Zeb unfortunately learned that not only was Misty already in a relationship, but she also had a small child.
哦,天哪。
Oh, wow.
是的。
Yeah.
得知这件事后,他的家人和朋友都认为,这段关系可能就此结束了,但泽布还不愿放手。
Upon learning this, his family and friends assumed, you know, maybe that's gonna be the end of the relationship here, but Zeb wasn't ready to let it go.
他们继续定期通电话。
They kept talking on the phone regularly.
但从那时起,泽布确保隐藏自己的号码,以免米茜的男友韦斯利·史密斯知道是谁打来的电话。
But from that point on, Zeb made sure to block his number so that Misty's boyfriend, Wesley Smith, wouldn't know who was calling.
真乱。
Messy.
好的。
Okay.
是的。
Yeah.
这确实很乱。
That is messy.
现在听这个。
Now listen to this.
一天晚上,在泽布失踪的前一天,他打电话时忘了屏蔽号码。
One evening, the day before Zebb disappeared, he forgot to block his number when he called.
而米茜的男朋友韦斯利接了电话。
And Misty's boyfriend, Wesley, answered the phone.
发生这种情况后,泽布惊慌失措,立刻挂断了电话。
And when that happened, Zeb panicked and hung up.
但几秒钟后,电话又响了。
But seconds later, the phone rang.
当泽布接起电话时,发现那边是韦斯利。
And when Zebb answered it, it was Wesley on the other end.
韦斯利威胁泽布,让他离米茜远点,然后直接挂断了电话。
And he threatened Zebb telling him to stay away from Misty and then just hung up.
尽管身边的人一再警告他,追求这个女孩是不切实际的,但泽布坚信事情最终会自行解决。
Now despite the repeated warnings from those close to him that he was being unrealistic in pursuing this girl, Zebb was convinced that things would just work themselves out.
当你18岁的时候,你会觉得一切都会顺利,你根本不会去想
When you're 18, you think everything's gonna work You itself don't think
情况会变糟吗?
it's gonna get bad?
而且,这似乎是第一个他真正感兴趣、并且似乎也对他有好感的女生。
And also, like, this seems like one of the first girls that he was, like, really interested in and who seemed interested back in him.
所以这很令人兴奋。
So it's exciting.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
Of course.
现在,当侦探询问米茜·泰勒关于她与泽布的关系时,她对这段友谊有着完全不同的说法。
Now, when detectives questioned Misty Taylor about her relationship with Zebb, she had a different take on the friendship entirely.
就米茜而言,她说她和泽布只是朋友。
As far as Misty was concerned, she said her and Zebb were just friends.
我从未打算让事情发展成别的样子。
I never intended for it to be anything more.
调查人员仍然觉得Misty有所隐瞒,但他们说不上来具体是什么。
Investigators still felt like there was something Misty wasn't telling them though, but they couldn't put their finger on what it was.
现在,她的男友Wesley Smith在被问及Zebb与Misty的关系时,也表现得同样避而不答。
Now, Wesley Smith, her boyfriend, was similarly evasive when he was interviewed about Zebb's relationship with Misty.
他说,在Zebb失踪的那晚,他和Misty在他妈妈家看电视,这个不在场证明得到了确认。
He said that on the night Zebb disappeared, he and Misty were at his mom's house watching TV, and that alibi was confirmed.
所以几天后,当调查人员拿到Zebb传呼机的通话记录时,情况变得更加扑朔迷离。
So things got even murkier a few days later when investigators got the call logs from Zebb's pager.
根据记录,Zebb在失踪当晚接到的紧急电话来自Ida Ustich的家。
According to the logs, the urgent phone call Zebb received the night that he disappeared came from the home of Ida Ustich.
我希望我念对了这个名字。
I hope I said that correctly.
那是Zebb父亲那边的姑姑。
That was Zebb's aunt on his father's side.
好的。
Okay.
所以当泽布和他的妹妹还很小的时候,黛尼斯·奎恩就和丈夫离婚了。
So Denise Quinn had divorced her husband when Zebb and his sister were still very little.
在他们大部分人生中,他们的父亲杰里·奎恩与他们的关系时好时坏。
And for most of their lives, their father, Jerry Quinn's relationship with them was inconsistent at best.
但当泽布16岁拿到驾照后,他开始更频繁地去父亲的酒吧——比尔特莫尔酒馆。
When Zebb turned 16 and he got his driver's license though, he started visiting his dad at his bar more often, which was the Biltmore Tavern.
他们在那里一待就是几个小时,打台球、聊天,逐渐培养感情。
And they spent hours there just shooting pool, catching up, kind of bonding.
是的。
Yeah.
当泽布重新与父亲联系时,他母亲担心杰里那种粗犷的乡下习气会影响到儿子。
When Zebb reconnected with his dad, his mom was concerned about how Jerry's, quote, rough country ways would rub off on her son.
她说,我一直觉得泽布是个
She said, I always saw Zebb as a
有点呆板的书呆子。
backward geek kind of guy.
哎呀。
Aw.
我知道。
I know.
另一方面,杰里就像是人们所说的那种真汉子。
Jerry, on the other hand, was like what somebody would call a man's man.
真汉子。
A man's man.
他是个酗酒、粗犷、出身工薪阶层的家伙。
He was a hard drinking, tough walking, working class guy.
天哪。
Oh, man.
他很难理解泽布更敏感的性格。
And he struggled to understand Zebb's more sensitive nature.
然而,丹妮丝并不会阻止儿子去了解他的父亲,以及父亲那边的家人。
Still, Denise wasn't gonna stop her son from getting to know his father though, or his father's side of the family.
所以泽布开始了解他们,包括那位给他发信息的姑姑。
So Zebb started to get to know them, including his aunt, who was the one who paged him.
她这么做真是太好了。
Which was very good of her.
我知道。
I know.
而且听上去她像是
And he sounds like she
一个
was a
他妈的超级妈妈。
fucking rock star mom.
他是吗?
Is he?
一位摇滚明星般的妈妈。
A rock star mom.
现在,另一个奇怪的转折是,当调查人员询问伊达——这位姑姑——关于寻呼机记录时,她否认自己打过这个电话。
Now, and yet another strange twist, when investigators spoke to Ida, the aunt, about the pager records, she denied having made the call.
她说她当时实际上在蜜茜·泰勒的家里。
And she said that she was actually at Misty Taylor's house.
哦。
Oh.
显然,伊达和蜜茜的母亲是好朋友。
Apparently, it ended up that Ida was close friends with Misty's mom.
她们还计划一起做生意。
And they were actually planning on going into business together.
哦,天哪。
Oh, wow.
至于是谁从伊达家打的电话,她说她完全不知道。
As for who placed the call though from Ida's house, she said she had no idea.
但证据很清楚。
But the evidence was clear.
她固定电话的通话记录显示,曾拨出过一通打给泽布寻呼机的电话。
Phone records from her landline showed the outgoing call to Zebb's pager.
有意思。
Interesting.
奇怪的是,在她否认拨打电话后不久,她向警方报告说,在泽布失踪的当晚,她的固定电话曾联系过他。
Now strangely enough, not long after that the denial of the phone call, she reported to the police that on that evening that Zebb went missing and, like, her landline allegedly called him or did call him.
她说,当时她正在米茜妈妈家,有人闯入了她的家。
She said while she was at Misty's mom's house, somebody broke into her home.
哦。
Oh.
她说什么东西都没丢。
She said nothing was taken.
只是几个相框被移动了位置。
Only a few picture frames were moved around.
但她认为,一定是闯入者拨打了那通电话。
But she said it must have been the intruder who placed the call.
她报警了吗?
Did she call the police?
没有。
No.
好吧。
Okay.
所以我想知道,她是不是在想,那些照片框到底动没动?
So I guess I wonder if she just I wonder, like, if she was like, are the did these pictures move or did they not?
就像,是的。
Like Yeah.
而且,我的意思是,我可能会报警。
And also like, I mean, like, I would probably call the police.
我会报警。
I would call the police.
但你也得想想,你坐在那儿,觉得只是几个相框被移动了。
But also like you have to think of it as like, you're sitting there being like, okay, a couple picture frames are moved.
是的。
Yeah.
我想你也不确定,但比如
Guess you don't know sure, I guess, but like
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,尽管过度反应吧。
I mean, feel free to overreact.
过度反应。
Overreact.
总是更好。
It's always better.
因此,调查人员很难相信有人闯入她的房子,只是为了打个电话、移动几个相框。
So investigators had a very hard time believing that somebody had broken into her house just to place a phone call and move a few pictures around.
那会很奇怪。
That would be weird.
第一次的话,肯定会特别奇怪。
It'd be super weird probably the first time.
随便吧。
Whatever.
但他们没有任何方法可以驳斥这些说法,因此无法做出任何指控。
But they didn't have any way of disproving the claims, so they couldn't make any accusations.
后来,这个故事登上全国新闻后,伊达实际上否认了曾向警方报告过入室事件。
Later, after the story made its way to the National News Circuit, Ida actually denied reporting any break in to the police.
她就说,我从来没跟他们说过。
She was like, never told them that.
什么鬼?
What the fuck?
是的。
Yeah.
我之前跟你们说的时候,这还不是最离谱的,各位。
When I told you this also, this is not as weird as it gets everybody.
这个案子真的很奇怪。
Like, this case is weird.
好吧。
Alright.
我的意思是,它本来就已经很奇怪了。
I mean, it already is.
有一些答案,但同时又好像没有答案,天哪。
And there's answers, but there's kind of like not answers at the same time, which is Oh, man.
对于任何亲近泽布的人来说,这都太不幸了。
Really unfortunate for anybody close to Zebb.
在调查进行两周后,阿什维尔警探手中已经有了若干可疑人员,这显而易见。
So two weeks into their investigation, Asheville detectives had a number of suspicious people on their hands, obviously.
其中一些人彼此之间有着非常有趣的关联,但他们仍然没有找到任何犯罪证据,案件此时面临停滞的风险。
Some with very interesting connections to each other, but they still had no evidence of a crime, and the case was in danger of going cold at this point.
然后在1月中旬,案件出现了转机——泽布的车被发现停在了一个停车场里。
Then in mid January, they got a break in the case when Zebb's car was discovered abandoned in a parking lot.
在里面,他们找到了一些我们可能永远不会再谈到的最奇怪的证据。
And inside, they found some of the strangest evidence that we'll probably ever talk about.
天哪。
Oh, no.
所以,在1月16日晚上,也就是齐布失踪两周后,黛尼斯刚从医院护理班下班回家,她的电话就响了。
So on the evening of January 16, two weeks after Zebb went missing, Denise had just got home from a nursing shift at the hospital when her phone rang.
电话那头是医院病历部门打来的。
The person on the other end was calling from the medical records department at the hospital.
对方是她的一位同事,黛尼斯见过她,但并不太熟悉。
She was a coworker they were a coworker that Denise knew by sight, but, like, didn't really know personally too much.
但这位女士说,她刚到医院准备上班。
But the woman said she had just arrived for her shift at the hospital.
当她开车来上班时,她以为自己在附近一个购物中心的停车场看到了齐布的车。
And as she was driving into work, she thought that she saw Zebb's car in the parking lot of a nearby shopping plaza.
这个购物中心就在医院旁边。
This park this shopping plaza was, like, right near the hospital.
好吧。
Like Okay.
不可能没注意到。
Couldn't have missed it.
于是丹尼斯跳上车,赶往那个购物中心,令她震惊的是,她发现儿子的车停在停车场边缘。
So Denise jumped in her car and raced to the plaza where she was stunned to find her son's car parked at the edge of the lot.
作为母亲,想象一下这种情况。
Imagine this too, as a mother.
而且,那辆车还斜着停着。
Well, and the car was parked, like, diagonally too.
这个我们待会儿再说。
Like, we'll get into it.
像胡乱停的吗?
Like haphazard?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
Definitely.
所以车灯是亮着的,车窗也开着一条缝。
So the headlights were on and the windows were cracked.
但幸运的是,丹妮丝在触碰任何东西之前,就立即通知了调查人员,他们几分钟后赶到现场处理了一切。
But, like, smart and luckily, before touching anything, Denise called the discovery into the investigators who got there a few minutes later to process everything.
现在来看到达现场的查克·萨姆斯警官,他认为, whoever 留下这辆车的人,正如我刚才说的,把车停得非常显眼,几乎肯定会很快被发现。
Now to sergeant Chuck Sams, who arrived at the scene the scene, it seemed that whoever left the car there, like I was just saying, positioned it in a way that would almost certainly be discovered quickly.
是的。
Yeah.
不仅车灯是亮着的,而且停车的方式也很奇怪。
Not only were the headlights on, but the way that it was parked was strange.
就像我之前说的,是斜着停的。
It was like diagonal, like I said.
而且这辆车的位置几乎显眼到了极致,除非是直接停在马路正中央。
And the location of the car was as conspicuous as it could have been without genuinely being parked at like the middle of the street, like the middle of the road.
有意思。
Interesting.
不仅丹妮丝在这家医院工作,而这辆车正是被发现停在医院附近,她的女儿和母亲也在这家医院工作。
And not only did Denise work at this hospital where the car was, like, found right near, her daughter did and her mother did.
所以泽布的母亲、妹妹和祖母都在这家医院工作。
So Zebb's mom, Zebb's sister, and Zebb's grandmother all work at this hospital.
天啊。
Oh, shit.
所以很明显,他们知道所有人都会看到这辆车。
So, like, clearly, they knew that they would all see it.
是的。
Yeah.
但后来发现,这仅仅是这个特殊现场众多异常之处中的第一个。
Now, it turned out though that that was just the first of many strange aspects of this particular scene.
萨姆说,汽车后挡风玻璃上画着一组嘴唇,看起来像是用口红一类的材料画的。
Sam's said, on the back windshield of the car, there were a set of lips drawn in what appeared to be a lipstick type material.
什么?
What?
然后还有两个感叹号。
And then there was two exclamation marks.
这件事有很多不寻常的地方。
There were a number of things that were unusual about it.
他说,其中一点是车里有一只活生生的小狗。
He said, one of which was that there was a live puppy inside of the car.
什么?
What?
所以这辆车停在他家人工作的医院附近。
So this car is parked right near where his family works.
基本上,车头朝前,车窗微开,车里有一只小狗。
Basically, diagonal, headlights on, windows cracked, puppy inside the car.
此外,车里还有一件不属于泽布的夹克。
Also, inside the car was a jacket that didn't belong to Zeb.
但我们先聊聊这只小狗吧。
But let's let's sit with the puppy for a second.
我只是
I was just
我想说,我们不能就这样丢下这只小狗。
gonna say, we can't just go away from the pup.
为什么车里会有一只小狗?
Why is there a puppy in the car?
我们永远也不会知道,艾琳娜。
We never find out Alaina.
天哪。
Oh, my god.
我们永远也不会知道,天哪。
We never and a list Oh, my god.
怪人观察者。
Weirdos watcher.
我们永远无从得知。
We never find out.
天哪。
Holy shit.
为什么车里会有一只小狗?
Why the fuck is there a puppy in the car?
我翻遍了每一个阴暗的角落,想搞清楚为什么车里会有只小狗,但我就是不知道。
I have gone down every fucking deep dark hole to try to figure out why the fuck there's a puppy in the car, and I don't know.
那小狗没事吧?
And the puppy's okay?
小狗完全没事。
Puppy's totally fine.
好的。
Okay.
令所有人惊讶的是,坐在汽车副驾驶座上的,是一只不到一两个月大的小黑拉布拉多,它开心得不得了,尾巴不停地摇,对新出现的人充满兴奋。
So to everybody's astonishment, sitting on the passenger seat of the car, happy as a fucking happier than ever, just wagging our tail and excited to see new people was a little black lab no more than a month or two old.
天哪。
Oh my god.
我真会大喊出来。
I would literally scream.
现在,为了寻找答案,情况将令人心碎。
Now desperate for answers, and this will break your heart.
她后来意识到事实并非如此,但为了寻求答案,泽布的母亲丹妮丝将发现这辆车以及那些奇怪、古怪的线索,解读为儿子传递的信息。
She later realizes that this is not the case, but desperate for answers, Denise, Zebb's mother, interpreted the discovery of the car and the weird clues, bizarre clues, as messages from her son.
布兰迪后来对记者说,我妈妈一看到车窗上的涂鸦,就自动认为那是他在亲吻我们,而那只活蹦乱跳的小狗则意味着他还活着,过得很好。
Brandy later told a reporter, my mom automatically thought that the drawing on the windows means he's sending kisses, and the live puppy means he's alive and well.
我的意思是,那是他妈妈。
I mean, that's his mom.
当然,你会这么想。
Like, of course, you're gonna Yeah.
另一方面,调查人员认为,这只小狗只是被留在车里以吸引注意,确保它能被迅速发现。
Cross by Investigators, on the other hand, believe that the puppy was just left in the car to attract attention, ensuring that it would be found quickly.
是的。
Yeah.
这其实很有道理。
That actually makes a lot of sense.
但是,等等?
But like, what?
你也可以只是把车停得怪异一点,它也会被很快发现。
You could also just park it weird and it'll be found quickly.
车窗也被砸碎了。
Were cracked too.
所以他们并不希望那只小狗活着。
So they were not they wanted that puppy to be alive
幸运的是,这只狗看起来很健康。
Now and luckily, the dog appeared healthy.
她看起来一点也不激动。
It didn't seem she didn't seem agitated at all.
所以这只小狗很可能在车里待的时间并不长。
So it was unlikely that the the puppy had even been in the car very long.
但他们还在车里发现了一张酒店房卡。
But they also found a hotel key card in the car as well.
什么?!
What the fuck?
在给媒体的声明中,警长泰德·兰伯特提醒任何人不要将这一发现解读为正面或负面的迹象。
In a statement to the press, captain Ted Lambert cautioned anybody about interpreting the discovery as the car as a positive or a negative.
他表示,到目前为止没有迹象表明存在恶意行为。
He said there's no indication so far of foul play.
也没有迹象表明他离家出走了。
No indication that he's run away.
我们每天仍在接收新的信息和线索,并正在跟进这些信息,今后也会继续这样做。
We're still receiving information and leads daily, and we're following up on that information and will continue to do so.
真是
What a
这种做法真是左右逢源。
way to hedge your bets.
确实如此。
Truly.
没有迹象表明是人为恶意。
There's no indication of foul play.
也没有迹象表明他是自愿离开的。
There's no indication that he left willingly.
那还剩下什么?
What does that leave?
什么都没有。
Nothing.
他说,没有任何迹象。
He's like, there's no indication.
他就说了,完了。
He said, period.
没有,就这样。
There's no That's it.
那本可以是一场简短的新闻发布会。
That could have been a quick press conference.
没有任何迹象。
No indication.
不予置评。
No comment.
结束了。
The end.
好吧。
Fine.
因为这本质上就是他刚才说的意思。
Like, because that's essentially what he just said.
就像,我们也不知道。
It's like, we don't know.
是的。
Yeah.
完全没头绪。
No idea.
我什么也提供不了。
Got nothing for you.
这确实是事实。
Which is true.
对。
Yeah.
我的意思是,这他妈的是怎么回事?
I mean, what the fuck?
这太奇怪了。
This is bizarre.
你说什么?
What do
你怎么说?
you say?
是的。
Yeah.
在发现泽布的汽车之后的那些日子里,警察们遍布阿什维尔及其周边地区,逐一走访了每一家酒店和汽车旅馆,以找出签发了门卡的那家场所。
Now in the days after the discovery of Zebb's car, officers fanned out across Asheville and the surrounding area, visiting every hotel and motel to find the establishment that had issued the key card.
但经过数日的搜寻,他们一无所获。
But after days of searching, they came up with nothing.
什么?
What?
所以他们根本无法确定这张门卡到底属于哪家酒店。
So they literally can't even figure out where this key card like, what hotel it belongs to.
而且由于无法访问生成这张门卡的扫描设备,他们无法得知卡上存储了什么数据。
And without having access to the scanner that created it, there was no way of learning what data was on the card.
比如,谁住过那个房间之类的。
Like, possibly who had the room or anything.
他们现在也有可能做到这一点。
They also have, like, the potential to do that now.
我知道。
I know.
我差点就说,到了2026年,我们可做不到这个。
Well, because I almost said I was like, in the year 2026, we can't do that.
然后我想了想,这可不是2026年。
And then I was like, this isn't 2026.
你意思是,这是1999年。
You were like, this is 1999.
但我又想,我们真的知道吗?
But I was like, do we know?
我的意思是,你能拿到吗
I mean Like, would you be able to get
从门卡上获取数据,我在想?
the data off of the key card, I wonder?
我觉得你需要那个创建门卡的扫描器。
I think you'd need the scanner that created the card.
但我现在想,也许不用了。
But I wonder maybe not now.
也许吧。
Maybe.
找到了一种方法来实现。
Figured out a way to do it.
但我的意思是,现实一点,门卡上的数据其实就是谁住了这个房间。
But I I mean, realistically, like, the data on the card is like who has the room.
是的。
Yeah.
所以我觉得这只能通过酒店的数据库才能实现。
So I feel like that would only really be with the hotel database.
嗯,你可能会这么想,
Well, you would think that,
但谁知道呢?
but who knows?
谁知道呢?
Who knows?
我不知道。
I don't know.
现在可以建立起更广泛的数据库。
Can come up with, like, further reaching databases now.
或者甚至只是找到这家酒店,因为他们根本不知道是哪家酒店。
Or maybe even just to get to the hotel because they don't even know what hotel.
所以我明白你的意思。
So I see what you're saying.
所以,不幸的是,他们在寻找这只可爱的小狗的来源时,也陷入了类似的僵局。
So, unfortunately, they came to a similar dead end with their search to determine where the fuck this sweet little puppy had come from.
在走访了该地区所有收容所和繁育者之后,哇。
After visiting every shelter and breeder in the region Wow.
他们仍然无法得知这只狗的来源,或者她是否与案件有任何关联。
They were still no closer to knowing of the dog's origin or what if anything she had to do with the case.
是的。
Yeah.
在2012年的一次采访中,萨姆说,这只狗的来历一直是个巨大的谜团。
Now in a 2012 interview, Sam said, it's always been such a great mystery where this dog came from.
但从她被发现停在车里的那一刻起,查克·萨姆就被这只小拉布拉多深深吸引,最终从她被安置的收容所领养了她,并给她取名为凯蒂。
But from the moment that she was discovered in the car, Chuck Sams was taken with this little lab, and he ended up adopting her from the shelter that she was placed in, and he named her Katie.
哦,我太喜欢这个故事了。
Oh, I love that so much.
凯蒂,这只小狗。
Katie the pup.
我也超喜欢。
I love that.
是的。
Yeah.
所以你知道至少这只狗是安全的。
So you know at least you know the dog's safe.
当然了。
Hell yeah.
但她是从哪里来的呢?
But where did she come from?
这就是问题所在。
That's the thing.
哪里
Where
她是从哪里来的?她的意思是什么?
did she come does she mean?
她是什么意思?
What does she mean?
我不知道你该怎么继续,因为能探索的方向太多了。
I don't you could there's so many holes you can go down.
因此,在经历了几个星期毫无进展之后,发现泽布的车以及车内所含的证据成为本案的一个令人振奋的突破。
So the discovery of Zeb's car and the evidence contained within it were an exciting development in the case after, like, nothing for a couple weeks.
但尽管这一切都很奇怪,它也暗示着泽布可能遭遇了不测。
But as strange as it all was, it also suggested that something bad could have happened to Zeb.
是的。
Yeah.
就连极度希望儿子还活着的黛尼斯,也开始接受可能是别人把车停在了停车场。
Even Denise, who desperately wanted her son to be alive, started to accept that it was probably somebody other than Zebb who had left the car in the parking lot.
是的。
Yeah.
2012年晚些时候,她说,有人知道他妹妹和我在医院工作。
Later in 2012, she said, somebody knew that his sister and I worked at the hospital.
我的意思是,我们只是觉得这辆车是被人故意停在那里,好让人发现的。
I mean, we just felt that it was parked there to be found.
是的。
Yeah.
确实如此。
It absolutely was.
没错。
It was.
在发现这辆车后,调查人员向媒体发布声明,呼吁任何在过去两周内见过这辆车的人,无论是否认为自己能提供帮助,都前来联系。
After the car was discovered, investigators released a statement to the press urging anybody who had seen that car in the previous two weeks to come forward regardless of whether they thought they could help at all.
就是说,只要你见过这辆车,就告诉我们。
Like, just if you saw the car, tell us.
嗯。
Mhmm.
一周内,一对当地夫妇联系了阿什维尔警方,说他们几天前在市中心见过有人驾驶这辆车。
Within a week, a local couple contacted Asheville police to say, hey, we saw somebody driving that car downtown a few days before it was discovered.
他们一直关注着报纸上的案件报道,并多次阅读过关于这辆车的描述。
They'd been following the case in the papers, and they had read the description of the car several times over.
所以当他们看到那辆车似乎在不久后出现,并且匹配时,他们记下了车牌号并拨打了‘坏蛋热线’。
So when they saw that it seemed to be a matching vehicle a short time later, they wrote down the plate number and they called What the badasses.
干得好,本地夫妇。
Good Good job, local couple.
善于观察,真棒。
Good job being observant.
当然了。
Hell, yeah.
你看到了什么,就说了出来。
You saw something and you said something.
你就该这么做。
That's what you do.
车牌号经核实与泽布的车高度吻合,表明这对夫妇确实在泽布失踪后看到过那辆车。
The plate number turned out to be a close match for Zebb's car indicating that the couple had in fact seen the car after Zebb went missing.
但当被问及当时开车的人长什么样时,他们表示开车的不是个青少年男孩。
But when they were asked if they could describe who was driving at the time, they reported it was not a teenage boy who was driving.
那是个年轻女子。
It was a young woman.
哦。
Oh.
当他们与素描师坐下来,试图绘制出他们所见驾驶者的画像时,结果出来的图像看起来非常像蜜西·泰勒。
When they sat down with a sketch artist to come to create a composite sketch of the person they saw driving, the result was an image that looked a lot like Misty Taylor.
哦。
Oh.
这很奇怪。
Which is weird.
什么鬼?
What the fuck?
调查人员带着这张素描和相关信息去找了蜜西,她强烈且反复地否认自己开过泽布的车,或对他的失踪有任何了解。
Investigators took the sketch and the information to Misty who strongly and repeatedly denied having driven Zebb's car or to have known anything about the disappearance.
他们也没有任何理由继续扣留她或对她提起任何指控,所以只能放她走。
And they had no cause to keep her or charge her with any kind of crime, so they had to let her go.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。