本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
如果你正在打造自己的职业生涯并提升个人能动性,那么AI就像一个喷气背包。
If you're crafting your own personal career and your high agency, AI is like a jet pack.
我们一直教导孩子和年轻人要努力拼搏。
We've taught children, young adults how to grind.
我们教他们为了坚持而坚持。
We've taught them to persevere for the sake of perseverance.
如果你陷入困境,那你就会一直被困住。
And if you're stuck, you're stuck.
为了进行这些寻找激情的练习,你得像个无情的混蛋一样思考,你觉得呢?
In order to like do these exercises of finding your passion, you sort of have to be like a ruthless asshole, think?
除非你正在努力寻找那个优势,否则别人可能会找到。
Unless you're trying to find that edge, somebody else may be.
你必须理解风险和不确定性的区别。
You have to understand the difference between risk and uncertainty.
最害怕AI的人,往往是那些不持续学习、只是重复十年前做法的人。
People most that threat by AI are the ones that aren't continuously learning that are just doing the same thing they did ten years ago.
你在做这件事的过程中,有多少次想过要放弃?
How many times when you're doing it did you wanna quit?
我完全不记得有过想放弃的念头。
I don't ever remember wanting to quit.
真的吗?
Really?
真的。
Really.
那个声音说它找到了自己的使命时,是怎么说的来着?
What did the voice say when it was, like, I found my calling?
我想谈谈这本书,因为书里有一堆惊人的统计数据。
I wanna talk about the book because there was this there's a bunch of crazy stats in the book.
我想聊聊那个诺贝尔奖得主的事情。
I wanna talk about the noble laureate thing.
那挺有意思的。
That was interesting.
但书中最疯狂的一件事,我觉得,你做过这个调查吗?
But the craziest like, one of the craziest things early in the book, I think did you run this survey?
调查显示,大约十分之六七的人讨厌自己的工作?
And it said that, like, six or seven out of 10 people hate their job?
是的。
Yeah.
所以我和一位合著者、合作者一起写这本书,我们花了大量时间在Zoom通话上,有人建议我们深入研究一些学术文献。
So I had a co writer, co researcher on the book, and we spent a ton of time together on Zoom calls, and someone encouraged us to dive into a bunch of academic literature.
我们发现了盖洛普的一项调查,显示53%的人在工作中缺乏投入。
We came across this Gallup poll that said 53% of people aren't engaged at work.
于是我们有了一个想法:向一千人提问,如果你能重新开始你的职业生涯,你会做得不一样吗?
And so we had this idea to ask like a thousand people if you could start your career over again, would you do it differently?
十分之七的人回答了‘会’。
And and seven out of 10 said yes.
然后我们把这个问题交给了沃顿商学院的人才分析团队,来做正式的学术版本,以确保所有统计数据都准确无误。
And then we we took that to to Wharton People Analytics to do the official academic version, so you make sure you get all the statistical data correct.
而他们得出的数字是六成,所以仍然是一个非常庞大的比例。
And their number came back six out of 10, so still a really big number.
太疯狂了。
Crazy.
丹尼尔·平克有一本很棒的书叫《遗憾的力量》,他也有类似的一些关于人们一生纵向调查的数据。
There's a great book by Daniel Pink called The Power of Regrets, and he has a somewhat similar survey data of longitudinal through people's lives.
随着年龄增长,不作为真的会开始让你感到沉重,并在脑海中反复盘旋。
And as you get older, inaction start to really weigh on you and ruminate in your brain.
而‘不作为的遗憾’是指主动不去做某事,与之相对的‘作为的遗憾’则是我犯了一个错误。
And a regret of inaction is actively not doing something versus a regret of action is I made a mistake.
人类很擅长允许自己犯错,但那条从未走过的路、那扇从未打开的门,在他们心中分量更重。
And humans are really good at allowing themselves to make a mistake, but the path I never traveled, the door I never opened is heavier in their mind.
这项调查可能触及了这一点,就像人们在想,哇,如果我当初做了不同选择会怎样?
And the survey might've been getting at that, like people thinking, wow, what if I had done something differently?
嗯,我问这个的原因是我有点着迷于寻找激情这个想法,不仅仅是因为你的书,还因为我最喜欢的一本书是罗伯特·格林的《精通》。
Well, the reason I was asking is like, I kind of want this whole like, I'm kind of obsessed with this idea of finding your passion, not just because of your book, but like, one of my favorite books is Mastery by Robert Green.
是的。
Yes.
其中几个。
A few of them.
这改变了我的人生。
Which changed my life.
那改变了我的人生。
That changed my life.
但我对这个感兴趣的原因是,我之前创办过一家公司并把它卖掉了,从所有传统指标来看都非常成功。
But the reason I'm I'm interested in it is because, like, I previously had a company that I sold, and it was, like, very successful in all the traditional measurements.
我现在有一家公司,也很成功,我喜欢我正在做的事情。
I have a company now that's quite successful, and I like what I do.
但在我心里,我觉得这是正常的,也许你能告诉我我是不是想错了——即使像我这样成功的成年人,也会想:我是不是走对了路?
But in the back of my mind, I think that it's normal, And maybe you could tell me if I'm wrong, that, like, even grown ups, like, who are successful still are like, do I am I am I following, like, the right path?
我是不是会成为那六成中的一员,还是四成中的一员?
Like, am I following am I gonna be in that six out of 10 or the four out of 10?
你是否发现,即使在你离开康帕特公司并最终进入风投行业之后——我猜那应该是你的天职所在——你仍然对此有所质疑?
Do you find that, like, even when you were when you left Compact and then eventually got into VC, which I imagine that would be your calling, that you still questioned it?
拿到工程学位后,我在华尔街工作了三年。
After the engineering degree, I went to Wall Street for three years.
所以我
So I
你当时是在做研究工作吗?
You were like in research?
我曾在卖方担任研究分析师。
I was in a sell side research analyst.
是的。
Yeah.
所以在进入风投行业之前,我有过两段工作经历。
So I had two stops before I made it to venture.
在这两种情况下,我都有过反思的时刻,现在回想起来比当时更清晰,我问自己:我能想象三十年后自己还在做这个吗?
And in both cases, I had a moment of reflection and it's more clear to me now than it was then, but where I ask, do I see myself doing this thirty years from now?
在许多行业里,总会有一个人一辈子都干这一行。
And in many businesses, there's a lifer in the room, you know, that's done it their whole life.
这听起来有点评判性,但我并非有意如此,但它能帮你反思:这是否是你想待的地方,毕竟他们就是这样做的。
And that sounds a little judgmental, I don't mean it to be, but it gives you a way to reflect on whether that's the place you want to be in, because they did it.
在两种情况下,大约两三年后,我都得到了否定的答案,尽管我在这些工作中表现不错,但思考‘三十年后我是否还想做这个’让我变得清晰起来。
And in both cases, after about two or three years, I got to a no, even though I was doing well in those jobs, but thinking, do I want to be still be doing this thirty years from now was clarifying for me.
但你刚才说了一件有趣的事。
But you said something interesting.
我觉得这本书太棒了。
So like, alright, I thought the book was amazing.
最好的章节,也是最精彩的部分,是关于寻找激情的早期内容。
The best chapter, the the best part was the early part about finding your passion.
你觉得,这才是最难的部分。
And you're like, that's the hardest part.
就像你刚才说的,当时我并不清楚,但现在回头看,我确实一直在质疑这一点。
And like you said that, just now you're like, it didn't seem clear to me then, but it does seem clear to me now that I was questioning that.
嗯,我确实在脑子里做过那个练习,贝佐斯还有一个著名的练习,他称之为‘遗憾最小化框架’,他说,80岁的我会建议我在这种情况下怎么做?
Well, I did do that exercise in my brain and there's another exercise that Bezos is famous for, what he calls the regret minimization framework, where he said, what would my 80 year old self advise me to do in this situation?
这是另一种方式来理解我当时在做的事情,以及理解这个概念:你只有一次生命,你是否真的在思考这个决定时,考虑到了整个生命?
Which is another way to get at what I was doing and to get at this notion of, you only have one life, like, are you really thinking about this decision with a reflection of the whole life?
所以,你80岁的自己可能比当下的你更愿意冒险,因为他正试图最小化那种遗憾。
And so your 80 year old self is probably more risk seeking than you are in that moment, because he's trying to minimize that regret.
那你当时做的是什么练习呢?
What was the exercise you did then?
你当时多大年纪?
How old were you?
我做的事情就是我刚才说的那样。
I the thing I did is what I already said.
我问自己,三十年后我还想继续做这个吗?
I asked myself, do I still want to be doing this thirty years from now?
我在当工程师的时候就这么做过一次。
And I did it once when I was an engineer.
所以我当时是23、24岁。
So I was 23, 24.
但那个声音强烈吗?
But was that voice loud?
我觉得它很强烈。
I think it was loud.
我对于离开这件事没有任何顾虑。
I had no inhibitions whatsoever about walking away.
这并没有困扰到我。
Like it didn't bother me.
而且,我潜意识里可能受益于我父亲曾横跨全国、冒险接受一份工作的经历。
And I may have benefited in the back of my brain from the fact that my father went across the country, he took a flyer on the job.
他从弗吉尼亚被招募到休斯顿,成为NASA最早的员工之一。
He got recruited from Virginia to Houston to be one of the first employees at NASA.
这很酷。
That's cool.
我知道他确实这么做过。
And I knew he had done that.
所以我不是来自那种几代人都定居在同一个小镇的家庭,我认为如果你来自那样的家庭,随便跳槽可能会感觉非常疯狂。
So I I didn't come from And I think if you come from a family where multiple generations have stayed in the same town, it may feel really wild to just take flyers.
好的。
Alright.
这一集完全关于卓越。
So this episode is all about excellence.
不久前,我分享了我自己构建卓越生活的个人框架,HubSpot 的团队将它转化成了一个为期三十天的操作系统,你现在就可以查看。
A while back, I shared my personal framework for building excellence in my own life, and the team at HubSpot turned it into a thirty day operating system you can check out right now.
它拆解了我花了十年才理清的体系,并展示了我如何在日常中实际运用它们。
It breaks down the systems it took me ten years to figure out and shows how I actually use them day to day.
这些体系真正地改变了我的生活。
These are systems that genuinely changed my life.
所以,如果你想打造一种美好的生活,扫描二维码或点击描述中的链接。
So if you wanna build a good life, scan the QR code or click the link in the description.
好了,让我们回到节目本身。
Now, let's get back to the show.
我21岁的时候,来自密苏里州。
When I was 21 years old, I'm from Missouri.
我在田纳西州的纳什维尔上学。
I went to school in Nashville, Tennessee.
我摆了个热狗摊,这就是我上大学的方式。
I had a hot dog stand, and that's how I paved my way to college.
摊位名叫‘南方山姆的热狗,大如婴儿手臂’。
It was called Southern Sam's Weiner's As Big as a Baby's Arm.
我们这些热狗摊有不少分店。
And we had a bunch of locations at these hot dog stands.
那真的非常有趣。
It was really fun.
我当时想,在田纳西州卖热狗真是太难了,根本没人买热狗。
And I was like, this is so hard to be out in Tennessee whether it's not hot dog.
那真是太难了。
It was so hard.
于是我就谷歌了一下,互联网公司都集中在哪儿?
And so I Googled, like, where do Internet companies live?
因为我当时完全不知道,但我对互联网非常着迷。
Because I didn't even know because I was obsessed with the Internet.
结果显示是旧金山。
And it said San Francisco.
我当时就在想,哪些互联网公司比较酷呢?
And I was like, what Internet companies are cool?
或者说,我也不太确定。
Or like, I don't know.
什么?
What?
就是,现在什么最热门?
Like, what's like the hot thing?
当时,是Uber。
Well, at the time, it was Uber.
那时候,它还叫Uber Cabstill和Air Bed and Breakfast。
At the time, it was called Uber Cabstill and Air Bed and Breakfast.
是的。
Yes.
于是我开始关注一个叫Air Bed and Breakfast的东西。
And so I started looking at this thing called Air Bed and Breakfast.
我给一位叫Brian的CEO发了封冷邮件,但他没回复我。
And I cold emailed this guy named Brian, the CEO, and he didn't reply to me.
但后来我找到了另一位叫Justin的员工,就给他发了邮件。
But then I found like another employee to email named Justin, and I emailed him.
我当时说,我周一就会到那里。
And I was like, I'm gonna be there on Monday.
我可以去你们公司面试吗?
Can I interview for this company?
显然,是Air Bed and Breakfast。然后他们说,好的。
Obviously, Bed and Breakfast And they're like, yeah.
你住在湾区吗?
You live in the Bay Area?
然后我说,是的。
And I like, yeah.
我住在那里,当然,其实我不住那儿。
I live there, which, of course, I didn't.
我当时在田纳西州上大学。
I was in college in Tennessee.
于是第二天我就飞了过去,参加了面试,拿到了工作,回到田纳西州,办理了退学,卖掉了所有家当。
And so I flew out there the next day, got the interview, got the job, went back to Tennessee, dropped out of college, sold everything I had.
但我的父母都是创业者。
But my parents are entrepreneurs.
在密苏里州,他们以经营一个水果摊开始了自己的创业生涯。
In Missouri, they started their entrepreneurial career owning a fruit stand.
是的
Yep.
我记得当我告诉他们我要退学时。
And I remember when I told them, was like, I'm gonna leave school.
我要加入这个项目。
I'm gonna join this thing.
他们问:什么是初创公司?
And they're like, what's a startup?
它有医疗保险吗?
And does it have health insurance?
我说:它有医疗保险,而且时薪22美元。
I was like, it has health insurance, and it's paying like $22 an hour.
我觉得应该没问题。
I think it's gonna fine.
他们说:好吧,不错。
And they're like, okay, cool.
我们会来帮你打包行李。
We'll come pack up your stuff.
我记得在那一刻,那种情感支持,正是区分能让一些人成功而另许多人失败的最关键因素之一。
And I remember at that moment, like, that emotional support at what's is one of the biggest things that separates what allows people to win versus a lot of people to lose.
因为我遇到过很多人。
Because I have met so many people.
我的很多朋友都是移民。
A lot of my friends are immigrants.
移民的经历很有意思,因为很多移民似乎可以分为两类。
And like the immigrant experience is interesting because a lot of the immigrants, it seems like they fall in two categories.
一类是他们来到这里时一无所有,所以他们愿意做任何事情来取得成功,他们选择了那条路。
One category is like they came here with nothing, so there's they're willing to do anything to win, and they go down one path.
而另一条路则是我来到这里是为了创造一番大事业。
And then the other path is I came here to create a big life.
可别搞砸了。
Don't screw this up.
走安全的路。
Take the safe path.
对。
Right.
我的父母走的不是安全的路。
And my parents were not the safe path.
那正是他们能给我最大的支持。
And that was like the most support that they could have for me.
这太棒了。
And it was so amazing.
我很高兴你讲了这个故事,因为尽管这本书的目标读者是那些在职业道路上的人。
I'm glad, I'm so glad you told that story because even though the person this book is written towards is the person on the career path.
我们并没有专门写一章教人如何提供建议——它并不是写给顾问看的,但我认为父母和顾问们读了会特别感兴趣,去反思自己是否愿意像你的父母那样支持他人。
And I mean that we don't have a chapter on how to advise people, like it's not written for the advisor, but I think it will be particularly interesting to parents and advisors to test whether or not they're willing to help support people in a way that your parents did.
我觉得这很重要,比如,你去看医生做常规检查。
Well, I think that's a big deal because, like, for example, you go to the doctor to get, like, your basic stuff checked.
我去学校是为了取得好成绩。
I go to school to get good grades.
但从来没有人问过,比如,你被问过吗,比如,你开心吗?是的。
But at no point do they ask, like, are you asked, like, are you happy Yep.
在做这件事吗?
Doing this?
而且我认为这就是为什么我仍然……我不认为我正式地……我不认为我们曾经正式学习过如何找到——我称之为ikigai(生存意义),我相信你对此非常熟悉。
And I think that that's like I think that's why I'm still ups I don't think I've ever formally I don't think we've ever formally learned how do you find I call it ikigai, which I'm sure you're very familiar with.
这是一个日语术语,想象一下维恩图,但有四个部分。
It's this Japanese term where imagine like a Venn diagram, but there's four.
它指的是世界需要什么、世界愿意为什么付费、你擅长什么,以及你热爱什么。
It's what the world wants, what the world wants to pay for, what you're good at, and what you're passionate about.
目标是找到正好位于中间的那个点。
The goal is to find something right in the middle.
但没有人教这个。
But no one teaches that.
对吧?
Right?
这真的很有趣。
It's and so it's interesting.
我喜欢你的书,就是因为这本书讲的就是这个。
The reason I like your book is because that's what it's about.
是的。
Yeah.
在‘追随你的好奇心’这一章中,我尽可能多地借鉴了这类练习。
And in the chapter titled, Chase Your Curiosity, I tried to borrow as many of those type of exercises as possible.
我甚至特意去寻找,没想到没找到那一个,但我找到了另外十个,并把它们全都收录进去了。
I even went out, I'm surprised I didn't find that one, but I found like 10 others and I put them all in there.
我试图为人们提供尽可能多的这些途径,因为我认为最难的部分是真正弄清楚是什么在以这种方式驱动你,让你能够轻松地脱颖而出。
Like I'm trying to give people as many of those pathways as possible, because I think the very hardest part is to figure out actually what it is that drives you in this way that's going to make it very easy for you to differentiate yourself.
有趣的是,你提到了那一个,书里有一个关于德克萨斯州奥斯汀的伯特·比弗里奇的故事,他40岁,正在看一档PBS节目。
And it's funny, you mentioned that one, there's a story in the book about this guy, Bert Beeverage in Austin, Texas, who's 40 years old, and he's watching a PBS show.
他们说,拿一张纸,横向放置,在中间画一条线,左边写下你热爱的事情,右边写下你擅长的事情,然后试着在中间找到交集。
And they say to take a sheet of paper, put it horizontal, draw a line down the middle, write on the left what you love to do, and on the right what you're good at, and try and find something in the middle.
通过这个练习,他辞去了抵押贷款经纪人的工作。
And through that exercise, he quit being a mortgage broker.
在此之前他曾是一名地震学家,并在40岁时创立了一家名为Tito's的伏特加公司。
He had been a seismologist before that and launched a vodka company called Tito's at the age at the age of 40.
我记得有个著名的莫扎特名言,有人问莫扎特,我该如何找到自己的道路?
I think there's this like famous Mozart quote where someone was like asking Mozart, like, how do I find my way?
或者说,我是否具备成为那种人的条件?
Or how do I like, do I have what it takes to be the man?
莫扎特当时大概会说,伙计,如果你在问这个问题,那答案就是否定的。
And Mozart was like, dude, if you're asking that question, the answer is no.
因为征服者只管征服。
Because the conquerors just conquer.
我……我讨厌他那样的回答,因为……但我很好奇。
And I I hated his reply to that because I'm but I'm curious.
我不了解你投资的所有公司,因为你已经做了这么久了。
So I don't even know all of the companies you've invested in because you've been doing it for so long.
我也不清楚。
You've, like I don't know.
你投资了多少家Accord公司?
How many Accords have you invested in?
我不知道。
I don't know.
我也不清楚。
I don't know.
几十家吗?
Dozens?
当然了。
Sure.
很多。
A lot.
是的
Yeah.
而且你一直与所有关键人物打交道。
And you've been around all the movers and shakers.
无论你是否投资了他们,或者是否错过了,你似乎都与这些了不起的人有所交集。
Whether you invested in or you passed or not, you are somehow like touched all these amazing people.
他们走的是相似的路径吗?
Did they follow a similar path?
对于创始人来说,我认为你会发现很多不同的故事和不同的路径,让他们走到今天这一步。
For the founders, I think you'd find a lot of different stories and different pathways that got them to where they are.
我的意思是,像扎克伯格的故事就很有名,他在哈佛胡乱折腾,这和提亚·盖茨或贝佐斯的路径截然不同。
I mean, if you like the Zuckerberg story is pretty famous, he's at Harvard messing around, and that's very different from the path Thea Gates took or even Bezos.
所以我不知道是否存在一条通往那里的固定路径。
So I don't know that there is a pathway to that place.
我告诉你,我曾经问过杰夫·贝佐斯,他是怎么做到在天使投资方面表现优异的同时,还能经营好这家公司。
I'll tell you, I once asked Jeff Bezos how he could possibly be good at angel investing wise, running this company.
他在天使投资方面做了什么?
What he do angel wise?
哦,他投资了谷歌、优步,简直是条杀手之路。
Oh, he did Google, Uber, Like, it's a murderer's road.
他参与了谷歌的种子轮融资?
He was on the he was in the seed round of Google?
是的。
Yes.
哇。
Wow.
太了不起了。
That's amazing.
当时的估值是多少?
What was the evaluation then?
我想第一轮融资是1000万美元。
I think that first round was a 10 poster.
但但但说重点,他说他唯一看重的是这种极端的坚定决心。
But but but to get to the point, he said the only thing he looks for is this insane determinism.
他希望相信这个人无论发生什么,都会坚持去做,哪怕天塌下来也不放弃。
Wanted to believe the person was going to go do this no matter what, come hell or high water.
我认为这可能是许多创始人的共同特质。
And I think that may be a common trait of a lot of the founders.
他们只是非常、非常坚定,不断推动着这件事。
They're just really, really determined and pushing against this thing.
任何科技创始人另一个共同点是,他们对技术所能达到的前沿充满极度的好奇心。
The other thing that's true of any tech founder is they're hyper curious about the edge of what the technology can do.
每当出现重大颠覆时——比如最近的AI,但在此之前还有社交媒体、移动浪潮、SaaS浪潮,以及所有这些浪潮。
And anytime there's a big disruption, AI being the most recent, but before that there was social media and the mobile wave and the SAS wave and all these waves.
它们创造了机会,因为现有企业通常对这些变化反应迟缓。
And they create opportunity because incumbents are usually slow to embrace them.
因此,你可以快速切入这些领域,但这要求你对世界的发展方向和变化保持极度好奇,以便在别人之前掌握它们。
And so you can run at these things fast, but that requires you to be hyper curious about where the world's going and what's changing so that you can master it before anyone else does.
有一本很棒的书叫《坚毅》。
You there's this cool book called Grit.
我们在这个播客里多次讨论过它,你也经常引用它。
We talked about it a ton here on this podcast and you cite it a bunch.
是的。
Yeah.
这本书非常棒。
It's awesome.
我忘了具体的公式,但基本上就像她——安吉拉·达克沃斯,她说的,我
I forget the exact equation, but it's basically like she Angela Duckworth, she's like I
我想她最初那本书是从50%的热情或50%的毅力开始的。
think she started the original book with 50% passion or 50% perseverance.
我们强调的一点是,我们实际上有幸和她交谈过,对此我超级感激,但我们发现了她十年后做的一个播客,她在里面说可能不应该是五五开,而是需要给热情更多的权重。
And one thing we highlight, we actually had a chance to talk to her, which I'm super grateful for, but we found this podcast she had done ten years later, where she said it probably shouldn't have been fiftyfifty, that it needed to put more weight on passion.
而她担心的是,我们教会了孩子、年轻人去埋头苦干。
And her fear is that we've taught children, young adults, to grind.
所以我们教会了他们为了坚持而坚持。
So we've taught them to persevere for the sake of perseverance.
而她现在认为,这会导致倦怠。
And she believes that now, that now she believes that leads to burnout.
所以,如果你付出了所有这些努力,却没有热爱,那感觉就更像工作了。
And so if you have like all this effort without the love for feels more like work.
而这里的第二条原则,在你追随好奇心之后,就是打磨你的技艺。
And one of the things, the second principle here after you chase your curiosity is to hone your craft.
这是一段终身的旅程,永远在学习。
And that's a lifelong journey, always learning.
对于那些处在合适领域的人来说,这是自然而然发生的。
And for people that are in the right space, that comes free.
就像你自然而然地去做,醒来就想做这件事。
Like you just do it naturally, you wake up and want to do it.
就像你被吸引着去了解更多关于这门技艺的知识。
Like you're drawn to knowing more about the craft.
我认为这与她得出的结论非常吻合,那就是:如果你不是真心热爱,就很难做到我在这本书里推荐的所有事情。
And I think that that correlates nicely with where where she came out, which is you it's hard to do all the things I recommend in this book if you don't truly love it.
我之前没意识到,但我觉得‘激情’可能是个不太好的词。
I didn't realize it, but passion I think is probably I think passion's kind of a bad word.
因为,‘激情’这个词似乎意味着我会喜欢我所做的一切。
Because, like, passion kind of implies that I'm gonna like everything I do.
如果你和很多运动员交谈,他们会说,嗯,我热爱竞争。
And if you, like, talk to, like, a lot of athletes, they're like, well, I love competing.
我确实喜欢练习,但肯定也有讨厌练习的日子。不过我是专业人士,无论如何我都会坚持下去。
I do like practicing, but there's definitely days that I hate doing it, but I'm a pro and I'm gonna do it no matter what.
而且,我喜欢赢。
And, like, I love winning.
我们在书中强调,'热爱'这个词有点陈词滥调,被过度使用了。
We highlight in the book that that word's kind of cliche and overused.
杰瑞·宋飞在杜克大学的一次演讲中说,'着迷'是一个更好的词。
Seinfeld gave a talk at Duke where he said, fascination was a better word.
我觉得‘痴迷’这个词挺合适的。
I think obsession is a good word.
我们把这一章命名为‘追随你的好奇心’。
We titled the chapter Chase Your Curiosity.
到底是什么东西是你无法忽视的?
Like, what just what is it that you you can't ignore?
是什么事情让你如此热爱,以至于总想了解更多?
Like, what is this thing that you love so much that you always wanna know more about it?
你知道的。
You know?
你之前做了个
What was your you did a
很好地完成了这些练习,来找到它。
good job of like, listen to all these exercises to like find it.
你觉得最有成效的是哪一个?
What was the most productive one that you found?
我提到了蒂托用过的一个方法,设计你的人生团队有一个他们说是最受欢迎的,叫做职业路径对决。
I mentioned the one that Tito had used, the team that wrote Designing Your Life has one that they say is most popular, which is battle carting.
所以就是列出三到五个潜在职业路径,不止一个,让你的大脑在这些选项中思考一段时间。
So like come up with three to five potential career paths, not just one, and let your brain roll around in them for a while.
所以你可以这么做。
So you could do that.
尤其是在当今人工智能时代,你可以设想我要做这件事。
Especially with AI today, you could imagine I'm going to do this.
两年后会是什么样子?
What does it look like two years from now?
比如,你知道,我可能会喜欢什么?
Like who are, you know, what might I like?
我可能不喜欢什么?
What might I not like?
然后,你知道,你可以说,好吧,如果是这样或那样呢?
And then, you know, you could say, well, if it were this or this?
所以这是一个练习。
So that's an exercise.
我认为,拥有心理上的放松感很重要,不要觉得你曾经走过的某条路已经付出了代价,就非得继续走下去,比如‘我要去试试这个’。
I think having the mental relaxation to not feel like some path you've been down at some cost, like I'm going to go try this.
如果成功了当然好,如果不成功,我就做点别的。
And if it works great, if not, I'll do something else.
就像你父母说的,放弃大学去那里工作也没关系。
Just as your parents said, it's okay to quit college and go work there.
放弃你现在的工作也没关系。
It's okay to quit the job you're in as well.
我只是担心我们过于强调经济稳定了。
And I just fear we've put so much weight on economic stability.
你提到一些移民家庭所施加的压力,他们要求你必须做到这些,甚至超越了生活中真正让你感到满足的东西。
You mentioned some of those immigrants families and what they push, that there's this burden to do that above and beyond what might be fulfilling in your life.
我认为,如果我们能摆脱这种压力,或者至少把这当作一种衡量标准,会更好。
And I think it'd be better if we got out of that, or at least this way, think of it as a gauge.
我们已经往一边走得太远了。
We've gone pretty damn far to one side.
让我们稍微往回拉一点。
Let's let's bring it back a little bit.
你在教育孩子的时候,有没有犯过错误,不得不把自己拉回来?
Have you messed up with your like, have you had to pull yourself back with your kids?
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
我觉得确实存在一种情况,他们现在都二十出头了。
I think there is a and having, they're all in their early twenties.
所以他们都在努力寻找自己的方向。
So they're all trying to find it.
就像我不确定他们是否都找到了,但作为父母,确实有一种直觉。
Like, I don't know if they're all even there yet, but there is this intuition as a parent.
而且我认为,希望他们走上一条安全道路的初衷是好的,而安全通常意味着经济上的稳定,但同时,风险感觉就像是你要承担的风险。
And I think it's well intentioned to to feel like they're on a safe path and safe is usually economic, but it's also, it's just risk feels like your risk.
我很喜欢你父母所做的故事,而且自从我们完成这本书后,我还发现了一些类似的轶事,和你父母的做法非常相似。
I love the story of what your parents did, and I've got a few anecdotes I've found since we finished the book that are great on that are very similar to what your parents did.
但我认为这只是个例。
But I think it's the exception.
我不认为这是普遍规则。
I don't think it's the rule.
我认为很多父母都会试图说服你完成学业、拿到学位。
I think a lot of parents would have tried to convince you to finish out and get your degree.
我觉得这是大多数父母的本能。
I think that's built into most parents.
所以除了我之外,也有其他人指出,这种我称之为工业化大学入学路径的方式已经变得非常僵化,竞争激烈且过程艰苦。
And so there are other people other than myself that have highlighted that the, I'd call it like this industrial college matriculation path has gotten very rigid and it's competitive and it's grindy.
比如现在上大学明显困难多了。
Like getting into college now is significantly harder.
是的,这些学校并没有扩招,但想上大学的人数却大幅增加了。
Yeah, they've not expanded the enrollment at these schools, but the number of people that want to go to college has gone way up.
这太疯狂了。
It's crazy.
确实很疯狂。
It's crazy.
而且大约从六年级开始,那些出于好意的父母们又开始为了让孩子能上大学而打造简历了。
And starting around sixth grade, once again, well intentioned parents start building the resume to get into college.
所以,与我的童年相比,如今孩子们的日程安排确实过于紧凑了。
And so we overschedule children today compared to when I was young.
确实如此。
For sure.
因此,他们的日程从起床到睡觉都排得满满的。
And so they're scheduled from when they wake up to when they go to bed.
乔纳森·海特的《美国心灵的封闭》一书中,有一章名为‘游戏的衰落’,其中提到,我认为孩子更难去探索和尝试不同的想法,因为他们深陷于这场试图进入大学的竞赛之中。
There's actually a chapter in Jonathan Haidt's book, Coiling of the American Mind called The Decline of Play, where we've just It's harder, I think, for a child to explore and try on different ideas because they're caught up in this game to try and get into college.
你之前提到过一个惊人的数据。
You had this crazy stat.
你说,获得诺贝尔科学奖的科学家们,正确吗?他们参与表演或舞蹈课程的可能性高出22倍。
You said, I think it was the people who won a Nobel Prize in science, the scientists who won Nobel Prizes, correct me if I'm wrong, but they were 22 times more likely to participate in things like acting or dance class and things like that.
那个数据是多少?
What was that stat?
这是基思·霍利克在加州大学洛杉矶分校所做的研究,与戴维·爱泼斯坦的《范围》一书中的许多概念相关。
So this was work that Keith Holyoke had done at UCLA, and it relates to a lot of the concepts in the back of Range, the book by David Epstein.
但处于各自领域顶尖的人,更有可能拥有广泛的兴趣爱好、掌握多种语言、尝试更多事物,我认为他们之所以能拥有更广阔的视野,是因为他们有机会尝试如此多不同的东西。
But was the people at the top of their field are like much more likely to have a breadth of hobbies, speak more languages, do more things, and almost I think have a lens on the world that's broader because they were able to try so many different things.
今天的节目由HubSpot赞助。
Today's episode is brought to you by HubSpot.
你知道吗?大多数企业只使用了20%的数据?
Did you know that most businesses only use 20% of their data?
这就像读一本书,却撕掉了五分之四的页面。
That's like reading a book, but then tearing out four fifths of the pages.
关键是,你会错过很多东西。
Point is you miss a lot.
除非你使用HubSpot这个客户平台,它能让你获取成长业务所需的数据,那些隐藏在邮件、通话记录、转录文本中的洞察,这些非结构化数据至关重要。
And unless you're using HubSpot, the customer platform that gives you access to the data you need to grow your business, the insights that are trapped in emails, call logs, transcripts, all that unstructured data makes all the difference.
因为你知道得越多,成长得就越多。
Because when you know more, you grow more.
所以,如果你想读完整本书,而不是只读一部分,请访问hubspot.com。
And so if you wanna read the whole book instead of just reading part of it, visit hubspot.com.
所以我读了这本书《精通》,它的核心观点是,成为通才其实是一种谬误。
So I read this book, Mastery, and like the premise is like being a generalist is kind of nonsense.
你必须专精于某件事,但一旦你专精了,你就会变成一个通才。
You have to specialize in something, but once you specialize, then you become a generalist.
我认为这是正确的路径。
I think that's the right pathway.
我觉得你应该先在一个领域起步,让自己能够脱颖而出。
Like I do think you want get started in an area where you can differentiate yourself.
然后,在关于导师和同行的主要章节中,甚至在学习原则部分,我建议,你知道,作为一个更高级的阶段,一旦你达到这个水平,就要拓宽视野,比如开始学习你领域之外的知识,在你领域之外寻找导师和同行,这样你就能以更具创新性的方式被吸引。
And then in both the principal chapter on mentors and peers in here, and even in the learning principle, I recommend, you know, as a more advanced level, once you get, you know, up to this level, then go broader, like start to learn outside your field, find mentors and peers outside your field, and you'll get pulled in more innovative ways.
那么,请再多谈谈这一点。
So tell me more about that.
这简直有点让我大开眼界。
That like just kind of blew my mind.
嗯,我认为基思的研究强调的是,那些能够达到自己领域顶峰的人,能够借鉴来自各种不同地方的心智模型,而超级专家与大卫·爱泼斯坦的《范围》一书完全就是关于专家与通才的对比。
Well, I think what Keith's work highlighted was that some of the people that are able to reach the top of their field are able to draw on mental models from a variety of different places and where a hyper specialist and David Epstein's book Reigns is all about this specialist versus broad thing.
就像那本书的核心观点一样。
Like that's the really the whole point of the book.
他还引用了霍利约克的话,但科学领域的许多不同创新都来自那些从一个领域转换到另一个领域的人,比如从化学家转行成为物理学家。
And he quotes Holyoke as well, but many different innovations in science have come from people who repotted from one place to another, chemist who becomes a physicist.
终身从事物理学研究的人,在那个时间点上的思维模式会相当固化,因为他们只了解那一领域。
The person who's a lifelong physicist has mental models that are pretty rigid at that point in time, because that's all they know.
所以,我再次认为这是一项高级技能。
And so once again, I think this is an advanced skill.
我认为在你取得成功之后,才会开始这样做。
I think after you're succeeding, you start to do this.
我不认为这是通往成功的初始路径,因为那样你会显得太宽泛。
I don't think it's the pathway to the beginning of success, because I think you'd just be too broad.
但我认识的一些最聪明的人,比如书中提到的一个人物丹尼·迈耶,他是著名的餐饮业巨头。
But some of the smartest people I know, like one person profile in the book is Danny Meyer, the great restaurant tour.
我们问他关于导师的事,而对他影响最大的一位导师并不是来自餐饮行业。
We were asking him about his mentors and one of the mentors that influenced him the most isn't from the restaurant industry.
所以这确实是一种更高级的技能,但你的目标应该是沿着这条路径实现自我差异化。
So it is a more advanced skill, but it is where you will Look, the whole goal I think is to differentiate yourself along the pathway.
这是一种非常出色、更高级的方式,能带你去往你原本想不到的地方。
And that is a great way more advanced way, but a great way to to take yourself places you wouldn't have thought of.
你有一句很精彩的话。
You had this cool line.
你说,如果这本书你只能记住一个要点,那就是相比辅导、咨询或课程,同伴群体可能是你所能利用的最强大的工具,但它被低估了,因为人们很难直观地愿意和可能竞争同一职位的人成为同伴。
You said, there's if there's one takeaway that you should have from this book, peer groups more so than coaching, consulting courses, whatever, is probably the most powerful thing that you could use, and it's under discussed because it doesn't feel intuitive to, like, wanna be peers with someone who might take the same job as you.
是的。
Yeah.
但它确实非常强大。
But it's really powerful.
我觉得你的描述很准确。
I think the way you describe it is right.
就像大家都在谈论导师,却没人谈论同侪。
Like everyone talks about mentors and no one talks about peers.
所以我确实有一章专门讲导师,并且提供了大量非常实用的建议,教你如何正确地处理这种关系。
So I do have a chapter on mentors and I offer a ton of very practical advice about how to play that correctly.
但关于同行这一点,其核心思想是,当你踏上职业阶梯的第一级并试图向上攀登时,如果你能发展一个朋友群体,可能是四个人,也可能是六个人,他们也在进行同样的旅程。
But the peer thing, the idea is that when you get on that first rung of the ladder and you're trying to climb it, if you could develop a friend group, it might be four, it might be six that are also on that same journey.
而且,我希望——我认为最好是在你组织之外——也许你可以从组织内的一个人开始,但鉴于我们刚才讨论过的所有原因,知识的广度可能会给你带来意想不到的见解。如果他们在你的组织之外,他们将看到不同的文化。
And hopefully, I think outside your organization, I think you could start maybe with one person in your org, but for all the reasons we just talked about how breadth of knowledge might give you insights you wouldn't have, if they're outside your org, they're going to see different cultures.
他们将看到不同的管理结构。
They're going to see different management structures.
他们会给你带来不同的视角,这是如果他们内部人员所无法提供的。
They're going to bring a different viewpoint to you that you wouldn't have had if they were inside.
然后利用当今的现代工具,如果你有冒险精神,可以创建一个Slack频道。
And then with today's modern tools, you know, if you're adventurous, create a Slack channel.
如果你只想建立一个WhatsApp群组或Signal群组,分享你一路上的学习心得。
If you just wanna do a WhatsApp group or a signal group and share, you know, share your learnings along the way.
当我搬到旧金山为Airbnb工作时,实际上我最终并没有得到那份工作,顺便说一下。
When I moved to San Francisco for Airbnb, it I didn't actually end up getting the job, by way.
他们给了我一份工作,我得到了。
They offered me a job, and I got it.
然后我上大学的时候,有点疯狂,我被逮捕了。
And then when I was in college, I was like kinda crazy, and I got arrested.
我因酒驾被捕。
I got DUI.
我现在已经清醒了。
And I'm sober now.
不要碰任何毒品或酒精。
Don't do any drugs or alcohol.
我现在完全清白,而且严格遵守规矩。
I'm completely clean and and by the book.
但他们却说,你在简历上撒了谎。
But they're like, you lied on your resume.
你说过自己没有犯罪记录。
You said you didn't have a criminal record.
所以我最终没能开始工作,结果被困在了旧金山。
And so I didn't end up, heck, getting to start, and so I was stuck out in San Francisco.
我当时想,我到底该怎么办?
I was like, what the hell am gonna do?
于是我最终创办了一家公司,结果还挺顺利的。
So I ended up starting a company, and it worked out well.
但那确实是我人生中的一个低谷。
But it was, like, super low point in my life.
展开剩余字幕(还有 464 条)
当我到了那里,我创建了这个叫做'反MBA'的东西。
And when I got there, I created this thing called the anti MBA.
那是我版本的读书俱乐部。
It was my version of a book club.
我们每周聚会一次,我们会选一本书,每月读一本,然后每周讨论书中的四分之一内容。
And we met once a week, and we would get a book, and we would read a book a month and talk about a quarter of the book every single week.
这改变了我的生活。
And it changed my life.
就像,有那样一群伙伴,我觉得,要让这样一个团体运作起来,你需要几样东西。
Like, having those group of guys to, like, sick and I think that, like, you need a few things to make a group like that work.
我认为你需要一些规则。
I think you need, like, rules.
你需要一些仪式感,并且需要认真对待它。
You need like some rituals, and you need to like take it serious.
是的。
Yeah.
而且我认为,如果有人过于强势、踩着别人往上爬,那就把他们踢出去。
And I think if there are people that are sharp elbowed, there are climbers that that step on other people, you kick them out.
我觉得,你需要的是志同道合、彼此同样友善的人。
Like, I I I think you need like minded people who are equally gracious to one another.
你现在的小组里,有哪些人现在成了大人物?
Who is in your group now that's like big shot now?
嗯,我最近发现的一个做法是,针对不同话题建立不同的WhatsApp或Signal群组。
Well, we one thing I've discovered lately is setting up different like WhatsApp or signal groups for different topics.
我认为对于刚进入职业生涯的人来说,最好有那些正处在相同阶段的人同行,而我已经不在那个位置了。
I think for someone coming in early into a career, it's better to have people that are on that exact journey, and I'm not in that place anymore.
我有一家公司叫Hampton。
I have a company called Hampton.
那是我主要的公司。
That's my main company.
你熟悉YPO吗?
Are you familiar with YPO?
当然。
Sure.
就像YPO一样,我们全国有数千名成员,这是克里斯的同辈群体。
It's like YPO, so we have thousands of members all over the country, and you it's Chris' peer group.
我们还有执行教练来引导讨论。
And then we have executive coaches who like lead the conversation.
这是面向CEO的,所以你必须拥有大约三千万、两千万的年营收。
It's for CEOs, so you have to like the average person has like 30,000,000, 20,000,000 in revenue or so.
看着这些成员组成团队,真的非常棒,我和他们组成了核心小组。
And it's been really cool to like watch these members, like team and I'm in a a peer we become core groups.
我也是其中一个成员。
I'm in one as well.
你那里有很多关于同辈群体的描述,我一看,哦,你这是在替我写广告文案啊。
And it like, you have this a bunch of lines in there about peer groups, and I'm like, oh, you're writing my ads for me.
是的。
Yeah.
但这些在YPO和你的CEO群体中确实存在,但任何人都可以做到。
But but but and those things exist with YPO and and your thing for CEOs, but it could be done by anybody.
当然。
For sure.
我的妻子怀孕时,就参加过一个妈妈群体。
I mean, like, my wife, when she was pregnant, she had one for moms.
我有个朋友组织了一个犹太父亲群体。
I've got a a a buddy of mine has one for Jewish dads.
这其实可以是任何类型的群体。
Like like it could be anything.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
但它真的能改变很多事情。
But like, it really does like change things.
确实如此。
It does.
确实如此。
It really does.
我认为几乎所有其他原则都会因此得到加速。
I think it can almost all of the other principles are accelerated.
所以你的学习速度会加快。
So your learning is accelerated.
书中有一个关于比斯特先生的精彩故事,与此相关。
There's a great story in the book about Mr.
那就是你要讲的例子。
Beast that ties to that.
你的社交网络也会被加速。
There's your your your network is accelerated.
所以你的社交网络不仅仅是你自己的网络。
So your network isn't just your network.
如果人们愿意分享引荐,你的社交网络就会变成整个群体的网络,无论是导师还是其他同行,都是如此。
It's now the network of the group if people are willing to share introductions and that kind of thing, you know, both for mentors and other peers.
然后,我认为这个小组在情绪低落的时候会非常有帮助,因为每个人都会遇到糟糕的日子。
Then the group, I think, can be really helpful on bad days and everyone's going to have bad days.
而且这其中会有一种支持机制发挥作用,我觉得这非常有用。
And there's a support element that comes into play that I think is really useful.
然后,你也可能在一家糟糕的公司工作,比如你梦寐以求的工作就在你现在的公司,但这家公司却很烂。
And then also you may be at a shitty company, like your dream job may be the one you're in and you might be at a shitty company.
如果你一个人独处,你就无从判断这种状况是否正常,因为你接触到的信息太有限了。
And if you're alone, you have no way of knowing if that's normal or not, like the stuff you're exposed to.
但如果你有一个由八个人组成的小组,他们都在不同的公司工作,你就能从不同角度看待这个问题。
Whereas if you had a group of eight people that were all doing this in different companies, you'd get different perspectives on that.
当你找到自己的使命时,内心的声音对你说了什么?
What did the voice to you say when it was like, I found my calling?
那种不断追问‘三十年后你真的想做这个吗?’的声音消失了。
There was a lack of that voice that kept asking, is this what you want to be doing thirty years from now?
那种担忧已经不复存在了。
Like that worry was gone.
可以说,我不再有那些消极的想法了。
Like I wasn't having those negative thoughts, if you will.
那你具体做的是什么呢,投资吗?
And what was the thing that you're doing, investing?
是的,自从我成为风险投资人后,我就非常热爱这份工作的每一分钟。
Yeah, once I became a VC, I just adored every minute of the job.
但这很大程度上是因为它符合我的个人性格。
But a lot of that's fitting my individual personality.
你知道,有些人会说,你不能成为风险投资人,因为你并不是真正在做具体工作的人。
You know, there are people who, you know, are kind of, they go, oh, you can't be a VC because you're not the one actually doing the work.
这从来不会困扰我。
That never bothered me.
你知道,我是一个非常被知识广度所吸引的人。
You know, I'm someone who's really drawn intellectual breadth.
所以,无论是从事银行业还是风险投资,这类服务性工作让我能接触到比只在一家公司工作多得多的企业。
And so a service job, whether it's working in banking or working as a VC gives me a window across way more companies than if I were working in one.
而且我也相当确定我有注意力缺陷障碍,我不擅长专注于细节。
And I also, I'm fairly certain I have ADD and like focusing on details is not something I'm good at.
每当我听到人们谈论杰夫·贝佐斯或沃伦·巴菲特时。
Whenever you when people I've heard Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffett.
有人会说,我每天都是跳着踢踏舞去上班的。
Someone was like, I tap dance to work every day.
然后你说你享受工作中的每一分钟。
And then you're you're saying you adored every minute of it.
这就像是,我觉得我找到了自己的热情所在,但经营一家公司,大概有85%的时间都糟透了,这点我明白。
It's like, I think I found my passion, but like, I probably like, running a company, it sucks like 85% I get that.
就像我上一家卖掉的公司,虽然结果很好,但如果你问我妻子,她会说我经常躺在地板上说,我做不下去了。
And like, my last company that sold and it was great, like, if you talk to my wife, she was like, you laid on the floor, like, all the time saying, I can't do this.
我想放弃。
I wanna quit.
这太糟糕了。
This sucks.
比如,是否每一秒都乐在其中,这到底对不对,我也不知道。
Like, is adored every second of it the right is that I don't know.
我不会的,我是
Won't I'm
我告诉你的是事后对整个过程的总结。
I'm telling you the ex post kinda summary of it all.
但你在做这件事的时候,有多少次想放弃?
But like how many times when you were doing it did you wanna quit?
我完全不记得有过想放弃的念头。
I don't ever remember wanting to quit.
真的吗?
Really?
真的。
Really.
这让我感觉糟透了。
That makes me feel horrible.
我认为CEO是美国最孤独的工作。
I think the CEO job's the loneliest job in America.
我以前说过很多次了。
I've said that many, many times before.
这很难。
It's hard.
而让这份工作特别艰难的一点是,你需要在文化上与公司当前的氛围背道而驰。
And one of the things that makes it particularly hard, you need to run culturally opposite what's happening at the company.
所以如果公司业绩不佳,你必须传递积极的能量,让人们相信事情还有希望。
So if the company's doing poorly, you have to bring the positive energy and make people believe it's possible.
而如果公司形势大好,你又需要把大家拉回现实。
And if the company's running hot, you want to bring them down to earth.
这就是我认为CEO工作如此艰难的原因。
And this is my theory on why the CEO job's so hard.
因此,与组织中其他所有人的情绪反着来,是非常耗费精力的。
So running counter emotionally to what everybody else in the organization feels is exhausting.
这确实令人精疲力竭。
It's exhausting.
在这个世界里,我逐渐开始不喜欢‘真实’这个词及其概念。
In a world where like, I've grown to dislike the word and the idea of authenticity.
这有点像你小时候想追女孩,别人会说,做你自己就好。
It's sort of like when you're a young kid and you're trying to meet girls, people say, just be yourself.
而我的想法是,女孩们并不喜欢‘我自己’这个样子。
And I'm like, girls don't like myself.
比如说,如果我想做自己,我就需要改变并变得更好。
Like, if I wanna be myself, like I need to change and be better.
然后人们又说,要真实。
And then people are like, be authentic.
而我就想,但我并不是一个好领导。
And I'm like, but I'm not a good leader.
我需要变得更好。
I need to be better.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
然后他们就会说,要真实。
And so they'll be like, be authentic.
比如,要对你的团队保持透明。
Like, be transparent with your team.
告诉他们你感觉不太好。
Tell them that you're not feeling great.
我就想,不行。
I'm like, no.
撒谎。
Lie.
就像,你必须,嗯,说服他们,我们会解决这个问题,你懂我意思吧?
Like, you have to, like, convince them that like, we're going to figure this out and somehow you know what I mean?
我懂。
I do.
领导力真的非常、非常困难。
Leadership's really, really hard.
我认为,无论是在硅谷还是整个社会对创始人的颂扬中,有一个方面常常被谈论得不够充分,那就是:如果你成功了,公司发展壮大,你会从10名员工增长到100名,再到1000名,最终领导力将成为必需且至关重要。
I think one of the things that is often not talked about enough in whole, both Silicon Valley and just the celebration of the founder is that if you're successful and your company grows, you're going to go from 10 employees to a 100 employees, to a thousand employees, And eventually leadership's going to be required and matter.
而你并没有地方去学习这些。
And you don't have a place to learn that.
没有哪本书会教你:'哦,看这里,你是一名创始人。'
There's no book that teaches, Oh, here, you're a founder.
你想学习如何领导他人吗?
You want to learn to lead people?
这个话题讨论得不多,但像扎克伯格那样的人,我确切知道拉里和谢尔盖,还有一位名叫比尔·坎贝尔的先生,可惜他已经去世了。
And it's not discussed much, but the Zuckerbergs of the world, I know for a fact that Larry and Sergei, there's this gentleman named Bill Campbell, who's unfortunately passed.
他是一位价值万亿美元的教练。
He was a trillion dollar coach.
是的。
Yes.
坎贝尔就在那里。
And Campbell was there.
在上市十年后,他仍在为拉里和谢尔盖主持每周的团队会议。
Ten years after the IPO, was still running the weekly team meetings with Larry and Sergey.
他们是糟糕的领导者吗?
Were they just bad leaders?
我的意思是,什么?
I mean, what what?
我不知道。
I don't know.
史蒂夫·乔布斯也用过比尔,所以我不认为这说明他很差。
Steve Jobs used Bill also, so I I don't know that that makes him bad.
我只是想强调,从基因层面来说,创始人并没有天然具备领导一千人的能力,因为领导一千人需要一套特定的技能,而没人教过你这些。
I I'm just highlighting the fact that there's no reason from a DNA standpoint that a founder should naturally be able to lead a thousand because there's a skill set required to lead a thousand people and no one's taught it to you.
你能学会吗?
Can you learn it?
是的,我认为你可以学会。
Yeah, I think you can learn it.
我认为有些人已经做到了。
I think certain people have.
我认为扎克伯格已经学会了。
I think Zuckerberg's learned it.
我认为贝索斯刚起步时根本没有领导能力。
I think Bezos didn't have any leadership skills going in.
他之前从未管理过大型团队。
Like he had never run a large team before.
你建议一个人如何学习如何成为更好的领导者?
What do you suggest to someone to learn how to be a better leader?
去认识比尔·坎贝尔吧,但他已经不在了。
Get to know Bill Campbell, but that is no longer with us.
所以我经常说,找两到三位曾经领导过大型团队的导师,他们各自都有自己的领导哲学和模式,试着去应用,看看哪种最适合你。
So, you know, I've often said, get two or three mentors that have ran large groups, they will all have their leadership philosophy and patterns, and try those on and see which one fits you the best.
所以,这或许介于真实与不真实之间,比如拥有一个编程哲学总比没有好。
So maybe that's maybe in the middle between the authentic and not, like having a programming philosophy is better than none.
我无法告诉你有多少创始人在公司发展到200人时,仍然不召开每周会议。
I can't tell you how many founders have gotten to like 200 employees and they're not running a weekly meeting.
他们根本不知道该怎么做。
Like they don't know to do it.
因此,有一些结构总比完全没有结构要好。
So some structure is better than no structure.
所以,与其说你提到的那些CEO中某一位绝对正确,不如去了解他们各自的做法,看看哪种方式最符合你和你的团队。
And therefore, rather than say one of those CEOs you talked to is absolutely right, find out what they're doing and see which one feels best for you and your org.
你之前和丹尼·迈耶聊过这个话题。
Well, you talked about that with Danny Meyer.
丹尼·迈耶,我想除了纽约之外,大多数人是因为发现了Shake Shack而认识他。
Danny Meyer, I think probably most known outside New York for finding Shake Shack.
你说过,我记得他原本打算当律师,但他非常讨厌那份工作。
You said that I think he was gonna be a lawyer or something, and he and he and he hated it.
但他去参观了很多地方,他叔叔说:‘老兄,你在干什么?’
But he went and toured a bunch his uncle was like, dude, what are you doing?
你必须进入餐饮行业。
You gotta be you gotta get in the restaurant business.
于是他做了一次实地考察,参观了多家餐厅,之后最终在创办自己的餐厅之前,先在一家餐厅做兼职。
And so what he did was he did, like, a field trip to, like, tour restaurants, and then eventually got a part time job as working at a restaurant before starting his restaurant.
是的。
Yeah.
他还以志愿者的身份游历了欧洲,‘志愿者’是个高大上的说法,其实就是免费工作。
He also did a tour through Europe as a stash, which is a fancy word for work for free.
但你在书里提到,他至今仍然这样做。
But you in the book, you're like, he still does that.
比如,每当他们要开一家新餐厅时,他都会去实地考察。
So, like, whenever, like, they're opening up a new restaurant, he goes and, like, field trips.
然后你提到,当他开了一家烧烤店时,他回到了圣路易斯,亲自测试菜品。
And then you're like, when he opened up, I think, a barbecue place, he, like, went back to Saint Louis and, like, tested stuff.
有没有可能存在这样的世界,一个白领人士也能进行这些实地考察?
Is there a world where, like, a white collar job person can take these field trips?
比如
Like
我觉得可以。
I think so.
或者至少是这种理念。
Or or at least the notion of it.
我其中一个观点,就像在学习章节中拍桌子强调的那样,大多数人从不考虑在工作中持续学习。
I one of the arguments I make, like pound the table in the learning chapter is that most people don't think about continuous learning in their job.
但创业者会,因为他们正在学习这些新技术,也许医生也会,因为法律要求如此。
Now the founders do because they're learning these new technologies and maybe doctors do because it's required by law.
但大多数进入某个领域的人,我认为大学和高中经历已经让他们精疲力尽。
But most people that get into a field, I think the college experience and the high school experience were so exhausting.
他们觉得终于不用再学习了,松了一口气。
They're like worn out and they're like, I'm glad I'm done learning.
然后他们就要去工作了。
And then they're going to go to work.
但无论你做什么,我敢保证,尤其是在人工智能出现的当下,你所做的事情总有一些新的细微差别可以发掘。
But whatever you do, I guarantee you, especially with AI out there, there's some nuance of what you could be doing that's new.
除非你主动去寻找那个优势,否则别人可能会找到。
Unless you're trying to find that edge, somebody else may be.
而且我认为,受人工智能威胁最大的是那些没有持续学习、只是重复十年前工作方式的人,因为他们就像标准化的零件,很容易被自动化取代。
And I think the people most at threat by AI are the ones that aren't continuously learning that are just kind of doing the same thing they did ten years ago, because they're kind of a widget, and that could be automated.
而那些对可能性充满好奇的人,他们自然会看到AI技术兴起,然后惊叹道:哇,这是个新工具。
And the people that are curious about what's possible, they're naturally going to see this AI thing pop up and go, wow, that's a new tool.
我得搞清楚它能为我做什么。
I better figure out what it can do for me.
而那些恰恰是最难被替代的人。
And those are the people that are hardest to replace.
就像如果你的公司正在研究人工智能,而你的一位员工在这方面投入的时间比所有人都多,那么他们就是你最不可能解雇的人。
Like if your company's trying to figure out AI and one of your employees is spending more time on it than everybody else, they're the last person you're gonna fire.
我觉得,我一直想告诉很多年轻人,尤其是很多年轻男性,你们必须理解风险与不确定性之间的区别。
I think that like, what I've been trying to tell a lot of like, have a lot of young people listen, particularly a lot of young men, and I'm like, you have to understand the difference between risk and uncertainty.
风险往往比人们想象的要小得多,但不确定性无论怎样都会一直存在。
And that risk is oftentimes a lot less than people think, but uncertainty will always exist no matter what.
你只需要学会适应这一点。
And you just have to get comfortable with that.
而且我认为,为了降低风险,人们可能没有意识到生活中有多少事情可以先尝试再决定。
And I think that in order to reduce risk, I don't think people realize how many things in life they can try before they buy.
举个例子,我从德克萨斯州搬到了这里。
For example, I moved from Texas up here.
是的。
Yeah.
我在一个我想了解的社区租了两周的Airbnb,然后,我试住了一下。
I rented an Airbnb for two weeks in a neighborhood that I wanted to see, and like, I tested it out.
实际上我发现我讨厌那个社区,但我喜欢另一个区域。
And I actually realized I hated that neighborhood, but I like this other area.
是的。
Yeah.
或者你可以这么做。
Or like, you could do that.
我记得以前有一次我想买一辆豪华车。
I remember before I wanted to one time I wanted to buy a fancy car.
我在Toro上试了一下,然后我就想,唉,我不想拥有这辆车。
I tested it on Toro, and I was like, ugh, I don't wanna own this car.
这真是麻烦透了。
This is a pain in the ass.
是的。
Yeah.
而且你可以给某人发邮件。
And like, you can email someone.
你可能得给大约50个人发邮件,然后你可以实际跟着他们观察一段时间,因为大多数决定都是可以逆转的,而且有办法降低风险。
You gotta email probably 50 people, and you could, like, actually shadow them for I mean, most decisions are reversible, and there are ways to, like, reduce risk.
确实如此。
No doubt.
而且,就像,当我还是个工程师,在去华尔街之前,结果我读过彼得·林奇的《在华尔街奔跑》。
And, like like, when I was an engineer and before I went to Wall Street, it turns out I had read Peter Lynch's Run Up on Wall Street.
我那时在业余时间交易股票。
I was trading stocks in my spare time.
所以,我是在不知不觉中,在我最终会走向的这个领域里测试了那个方向。
So unconsciously, was testing that in this field that I would eventually go towards.
所以,是的,不要仅仅因为不开心就明天辞职。
And so, yes, like don't quit your job tomorrow just because you're unhappy.
开始弄清楚你应该朝着哪个正确的方向前进。
Start figuring out that you're what direction is the right direction to move towards.
你提到的一些人,比如在书里你谈到的罗伯特·齐默曼,也就是鲍勃·迪伦,你说他找到了自己的痴迷所在,并且相当无情地追随它,最终成为了鲍勃·迪伦。
Some of the people that you've you talk about, like, for example, in the book, you talk about Robert Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan, and you're like, he found his fascination, and he, like, followed it, like, pretty ruthlessly and and and became Bob Dylan.
但接着你也提到,他出了名地难相处,这一点你几乎没怎么提。
But then you also were like, he's also like you barely mentioned this, but you're like, he's notoriously prickly.
比如,他这个人很难亲近。
Like, he's hard to, like, get close to.
但我也知道你曾与特拉维斯·卡尔尼尼克共事,他可是个相当狂野的家伙。
But then, like, I know you've worked with Travis Kalninck, who's, like, a pretty wild guy.
那些为了找到自己热情所在而做这些练习的人,你觉得是不是必须得做个冷酷的混蛋才行?
The people who, in order to like do these exercises of finding your passion, do you sort of have to be like a ruthless asshole, you think?
我不这么认为。
I don't think so.
我的意思是,丹尼是我这辈子见过的最友善的人之一。
I mean, Danny's one of the nicest humans I've ever met in my entire life.
尽管像我们在书中提到的鲍比·奈特那样以那种方式闻名的人,他可能拥有这项运动历史上最大的教练传承体系,这意味着在他手下成长的人——无论是作为教练还是球员——最终都成为了教练。
Even though someone like Bobby Knight, who we have in the book is known as being that way, he's probably got the biggest coaching tree in the history of the sport, which means people have developed underneath him both and as coaches and players and become coaches.
所以即使这个脾气暴躁、扔椅子的人,并不是那个培养所有这些人并引领他们走上道路的人。
So even if this prickly guy you see throwing the chair is not the one that developed all these humans and put them on their way and on their path.
这本书里很多故事让我喜爱的一点是,这些人最终都达到了能够影响他们领域中众多人的高度。
And one of the things I love about a lot of the stories in the book is that these people reach a place where they're touching so many people in their field.
我认为,比起你是否达到了某个里程碑,这更能检验你是否真正成功。
I think that's a more fulfilling test of were you successful than did you hit some milestone.
是的。
Yeah.
但当你已经达成一些里程碑时,去做一堆事情,比如追随你的热情,会容易得多。
But it's a lot easier to do a bunch of stuff, like following your passion when you have hit milestones.
就像,有时候当人们说‘追随你的热情’时,我真正想告诉人们的是,这听起来可能有点粗俗,但我想说,如果你能快速致富,那就去做吧。
Like, sometimes when people people say follow your passion, what I really want to tell people, I'm like, basically, this sounds like crude, but I'm like, if you can get rich fast, do that.
有些人处于一种状态,他们赚多少就花多少,然后他们
Some people get in a position where they spend right up to what they earn and then they
没有,而且拥有
don't And have
所以你从一个城镇搬到另一个城镇。
so you move from one town to another.
书中的很多人都是这样做的。
A lot of the people in the book do that.
如果你被困住了,那就真的被困住了。
And if you're stuck, you're stuck.
你可能不得不继续留在一份工作里,因为你已经积累了高额的开支,几乎花光了所有收入。
You you might be have to stay in a job because you've built an expense burden that goes right up against the top of it.
我刚到纽约时,见过很多这样的人。
I saw a ton of those people when I came to New York.
你看到了什么?
What did you see?
我的意思是,我们当时挣的钱还算不错,比如为了
I mean, we were getting paid decent money, like for
那时候你是做研究的吗?
This was when you're a researcher?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
对于初级职位来说,但他们会跑去汉普顿租房子,加入私人俱乐部,把预算花得精光,有时甚至超支。
For entry level jobs, but they would run and get they'd go get the place in the Hamptons and they'd join the private club and they'd run their budget right up to the top, sometimes above it.
奇怪的是,如果他们拿不到奖金,就会陷入财务困境。
It's weird if they don't get the bonus, they're underwater.
我认识一些人,他们年收入七位数,也就是每年一百万美元,但储蓄账户里却一分钱都没有。
I know people that make 7 figures a year, $1,000,000 a year, and will literally have $0 in savings.
我明白。
I understand.
在我早期的时候,我经常使用一个叫‘我的每周预算’的应用,我创建了一个预算,还有一个电子表格来追踪我存了多少钱。
When I early on, I used to use this app called My Weekly Budget, and I created a a budget, and I had a spreadsheet that would track how much cash I had saved.
所以是1万到2万。
So 10,000 to 20,000.
这就像是,你在没有任何收入的情况下能活多久。
It was like, this is how long you could live without any income.
所以他们游戏的目标就是在保持低开销的同时,尽可能多地攒下现金。
So they the name of the game was to square away as much cash while keeping expenses low.
那时候,超过六个月的积蓄,就是你的‘去你的’数字。
And it was like, anything above six months, that's like your FU number.
意思是,你可以去尝试一些新的东西。
Meaning, you could like go and like try and experiment.
是的。
Yeah.
这给了你灵活性。
It gives you flexibility.
对。
Yeah.
但为了把这个数字变得更大,我必须极度自律,即使我的收入并不高,但我生活得非常节俭。
And it was like, but it was like ruthlessly disciplined to make that number bigger, even though I didn't make a lot of money, but I was like living very frugally.
我觉得人们并不理解这一点。
And I don't think people understand that.
像大学贷款这样的东西——我很幸运没有——会彻底毁掉这一切。
And like things like college debt, which I'm very privileged I didn't have, completely ruins it.
所以,有很多这类不可逆的决定,当涉及到去追求某些目标时,真的会把你搞砸。
And so like, there's a bunch of these irreversible decisions that can really screw you up when it comes to, like, being able to, like, chase down some of these things.
明白吗?
Know?
我同意这一点。
I agree with it.
一旦你已经赚到了钱,你会怎么处理这些钱呢?
What do you do with the money once you've already made it?
这是我和Shaan一直向我们成功的嘉宾们提出的一个问题。
This is a question Shaan and I ask our successful guests all the time.
我们之所以问这个问题,是因为如果你很成功,如果你确实有一些钱,关于如何花费或投资这笔钱的信息,实际上很难获得。
And the reason we ask it is because if you are successful, if you do have a little bit of money, information on how to spend or invest your money, it's actually really hard to come by.
我了解这一点,因为在我创办的创始人社区Hampton内部,人们一直在问这个问题。
And I know this because inside of Hampton, which is my community of founders, people ask this question all the time.
有人已经赚了1000万或5000万美元。
People have made 10 or $50,000,000.
你该如何花这笔钱?
How do you spend it?
又该如何投资它?
How do you invest it?
因此,为了帮助解决这个问题并回答这个疑问,我实际上采访了80多位创始人,比如斯科特·加洛韦、亚历克斯·拉莫西、布莱恩·约翰逊这些人,他们的身价高达五千万、一亿,甚至数十亿美元。
And so to help solve this problem and answer this question, I actually interviewed 80 plus founders, guys like Scott Galloway, Alex Ramosy, Brian Johnson, people who are worth 50, 100, even billions of dollars.
我们让他们透露了所有细节。
And we got them to reveal everything.
所以他们的净资产、给自己支付多少薪水、月度开销、投资组合等等这些信息。
So their net worths, how much they pay themselves, their monthly expenses, their portfolio, things like that.
我们将这80次访谈整理成了一份文档,我认为你在互联网上任何地方都找不到这类信息,而且它完全免费。
And we turned these 80 interviews into one document, and I don't think you can find this type of information literally anywhere on the Internet, and it's completely free.
所以,如果你想了解身价数十亿美元人士的净资产背后、他们的投资组合、开销等一切信息,请访问 join hampton.com/reveal。
So if you wanna see behind the net worths of people who are worth billions of dollars and their portfolios, their expenses, everything, you go to join hampton.com/reveal.
再次提醒,请访问 join hampton.com/reveal。
Again, join hampton.com/reveal.
去看看吧。
Check it out.
昨晚很特别,因为我坐在吉姆·克拉默对面,旁边是亨利·布洛盖特,他是商业内幕网的创始人。
The last night was special because I sat across from Jim Kramer, and then next to him was Henry Blodgett, who founded Business Insider.
就是一堆特别疯狂的人。
Just a lot of, like, crazy people.
当你年轻时认识这些家伙,当时能看出来你们都会成功吗?还是说有人取得如此大的成就让你感到意外?
When you knew these guys when they were younger, was it clear that you guys were all going to succeed, or have you been surprised that someone has been as successful as they are?
我觉得这要回到我们之前关于社交圈的讨论。我始终觉得,随着年龄增长,我越来越意识到,要保持一种开放包容的心态,尽可能多地交朋友,不要轻易评判别人,能支持别人成功就尽量支持,这样回报终会加倍回到你身上。我想我从未对那些最终身处硅谷核心、持续前进的人感到惊讶,因为那里聚集了太多有抱负的人,对吧?
Well, I think it goes back to our discussion on peer groups, connecting with I've just always found, and I think I got more attuned to this the older I got, have like a big tent mentality, like have as many friends as you can, try not to judge people too much, root for people to be successful when you can, and it'll come back to you in spades, and I guess I've never been surprised that the people that end up, you know, in Silicon Valley in the middle of it all continue to move forward just because it attracts so many ambitious people, you know?
所以,我不觉得有谁的持久力让我特别惊讶。
And so, I don't know, I haven't been radically surprised by anybody staying power.
别忘了,我已经59岁了,所以我有足够的时间来建立这个人脉网络。
Keep in mind, I'm 59 years old, so I have the benefit of time to build that network.
我当了二十五年的风险投资人。
I had twenty five years as a venture capitalist.
但我想你当时是在哪个公司的董事会来着?
But I think you were on the board of what's the moment?
你和丹尼·迈耶,你们都在董事会。
You and Danny Meyer, you were on board
OpenTable。
Open table.
那大概是二十年前的事了。
That was, like, twenty years ago.
我的意思是,是的。
I mean Yes.
看起来你好像有点,那个,
It seems like you you kinda, like,
确实是这样。
hit It was.
对,挺早就开始了,是的。
Right up pretty early in Yeah.
进入投资领域。
Into investing.
对吧?
Right?
这在风险投资中很关键。
That's kind of key in venture.
你什么意思?
What do mean?
哦,就是要站在浪潮前面,或者 whatever 涌现出来的时候。
Oh, just to be in front of the the the wave or whatever rolls out.
比如,你不能落后。
Like, you can't can't be late.
随着人工智能的发展
With AI going on
现在这让你想起了风险投资的哪个不同时期吗?
right now, is this does this remind you of a different period in venture?
我还真没见过像现在这样的情形。
I've never seen it quite like this.
真的吗?
Really?
真的。
Really.
我认为在我整个职业生涯中,风险投资行业只会变得越来越竞争激烈。
One thing I think throughout my career, venture's only gotten more competitive.
而如今,在我即将退休并观察下一代的时候,竞争甚至更加激烈了。
And now today, it's, you know, as I'm hanging up my boots and watching the next generation, it's even more competitive.
而且风投们愿意承受的实验性烧钱率也比以往任何时候都要高。
And the burn rates that the VCs are comfortable experimenting with are bigger and bigger than ever.
就像我觉得优步每年20亿美元的烧钱速度已经够吓人的了。
Like I thought our 2,000,000,000 a year burn rate at Uber was pretty frightening.
OpenAI的烧钱速度比那还要快得多。
Open AI is burning way more than that.
他们每年烧掉多少钱?
How much
他们烧掉多少?
are they burning?
我不知道。
I I don't know.
我看到过不同的数字。
I've seen different number.
我没有他们的财务数据,但是比如
I don't have access to their financials, but like
优步每年亏损20亿美元?
Uber was losing 2,000,000,000 a year?
是的。
Yeah.
但OpenAI的烧钱速度达到了八到十亿。
But Open AI is at like eight or 10.
什么
What did
当你的公司每年亏损20亿美元时,你是什么感觉?
what does it make you feel when your company's losing $2,000,000,000 a year?
吓得屁滚尿流。
Scared shitless.
真的吗?
Really?
是的。
Yeah.
哦,对。
Oh, yeah.
你是怎么规划那一步的?
How did you map that out?
比如,你晚上怎么睡得着,知道那种情况?你是怎么办到的,你对自己说什么?
Like how do you go to bed at night knowing that like, are you like, what do you tell yourself?
你就像说,嗯
You're like, well
我睡得很少。
I didn't sleep much.
有一部分原因是,我认为随着风险投资行业越来越工业化,出现了一个问题,那就是我认为Lyft的投资者知道他们必须持续提供资金流动性。
There was a piece of it that was that I think is as the venture industry gets more industrialized was a problem, which was, I think the Lyft investors knew that they had to keep funding liquidity.
由于一系列与网络效应相关的原因,原本预期会有一个单一的市场胜出。
And for a bunch of reasons that relate to network effects, it was always supposed to be kind of a single marketplace that would win.
但如果你没有财务可持续性的约束,你就可以亏钱来制造流动性的假象。
And, but you, if you don't have the constraint of financial viability, you can lose money to create the perception of liquidity.
你可以支付司机在他们实际上并不接单的时候也上线。
You can pay drivers to be present when they wouldn't actually be there.
是的。
Yeah.
我以前常开玩笑。
I used to joke.
我上一家公司在旧金山,我们没有接受风险投资,但我们总是说我们仍然是被风投支持的,因为优步和这些公司会提供最疯狂的推荐。
My last company in San Francisco, we didn't take venture capital, but we used to say we were still VC funded because Uber and all these companies would give like the craziest referrals.
我记得我到处给别人发我的推荐链接。
So like I remember like giving my referral to everyone.
比如,我会说:我开优步是免费的。
Like, oh, I drive on Uber for free.
我坐优步也是免费的。
I ride on Uber for I
我明白了。
get it.
直到Lyft率先上市,这可能是对Uber最有利的事情,因为华尔街开始要求它们实现盈利。
And it wasn't until Lyft went public first, which is probably the best thing that could have ever happened to Uber, where Wall Street held them accountable for being profitable.
正是在那个时候,局势发生了转折,Uber才得以利用网络效应和规模优势,如今每年产生的自由现金流远超100亿美元。
And it's at that point when things really tipped and where Uber was able to then take advantage of the network effect and being larger and now spits off well north of 10,000,000,000 a year in free cash flow.
现在它已经这么大了吗?
That's how big it is now?
这太疯狂了。
That's insane.
这比你的预测还要大吗?
Did you did is that bigger than your prediction?
我确实对市值做过预测。
On I made a prediction about the the market cap.
当时预测了一个范围区间。
It had a bunch of ranges.
我手头没有具体数据,但达拉把市值做到了2000亿美元,我不确定这是否是在……我猜你是指我写的那篇博客文章吧。
I I don't have it in front of me, but Dara got it to 200,000,000,000 market cap, and I don't know if that was in I I assume you're referring to the blog post I wrote.
不是。
No.
我还没读过……哦,好的。
I haven't read Oh, okay.
是的。
Yeah.
你刚才说什么?
What did you say?
或者另一个是什么?
Or what what was the other
纽约大学有一位教授写过
There was a professor at NYU that wrote
一篇博客
a blog
文章说它只值40亿美元,我对此提出了异议。
post that said it would only be worth 4,000,000,000, and I pushed back.
我记得那件事。
I remember that.
我们确实讨论过这个。
We did talk about that.
是的。
Yeah.
你最近看到那篇关于Substack的博客文章了吗?文章说人工智能会让经济变得更糟?
Did you see the blog post the other day about on Substack where they're like AI is gonna make the economy worse?
你有没有注意到,仅仅一篇博客文章就造成了如此大的影响?
Do you see how one blog post like brought down?
这真是太惊人了。
It's pretty amazing.
这太疯狂了。
That's crazy.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
你的博客有没有造成过这样的影响?
Did your blog ever do that?
没有达到那种规模。
Not not of that scale.
没有。
No.
是的。
Yeah.
那真是太疯狂了。
That was that was insane.
疯狂。
Insane.
那里有很多恐惧。
There's a lot of fear out there.
记住,沃伦·巴菲特说过,别人恐惧时你要贪婪,别人贪婪时你要恐惧。
Just remember, Warren Buffett said, be be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy.
第一波人工智能浪潮时,很多人都很贪婪。
So the first wave of AI was a lot of people being greedy.
而现在,恐惧第一次突然出现了。
And now all of a sudden there's fear for the first time.
所以,如果你是股票的净买入者,现在正是你磨利铅笔的时候。
So if you're a net buyer of stocks, this is when you sharpen your pencil.
你看到这些有趣的创始人了吗?我的意思是,我不想听特拉维斯或者那些特别突出、极具韧性和强大实力的大人物。
You see all these interesting founders other than like I mean, I don't want to hear like Travis or like some of the big name ones who kind of have stuck out as like being like particularly sticky and formidable.
我认识的最令人印象深刻的人之一,名叫里奇·帕顿。
Well, one of the most impressive people I know is a guy named Rich Parton.
他创办了Expedia,后来又创办了Zillow。
He founded Expedia and then Zillow.
Expedia被Dillard收购了,所以他了解Berry等人的一切,但里奇拥有非凡的能力,既能成为产品和技术颠覆者中的顶尖百分之一,也能成为我们之前讨论的那种领导者。
Expedia was acquired by Dillard, so he knows Berry and all that, but Rich has this remarkable ability to be top one percentile as a product technology disruptor, but also as a leader, that thing we're talking about before.
我通常看到人们会偏向其中一方,而不是两者兼备。
And I usually see people tilt one degree or the other and not both.
而他是那种罕见的、两者都能做到的人。
And he's this rare person that does it on both.
因此,我经常向他寻求建议。
And so I frequently lean on him for advice.
你能举个例子吗?比如一个关于优秀领导力如何改变局面的故事?
Do you have an example of like a story of like where good leadership changed?
让公司在需要时能够快速调整方向。
Getting companies to pivot fast when they need to.
我的意思是,现在有了人工智能,任何公司都可能面临这种情况,你提到了那份报告的影响,比如DoorDash股价下跌了5%,因为报告说可以免费打造一个DoorDash,虽然我不相信这种说法,但,你知道的,就是这样。
I mean, right now with AI, any companies out there, you mentioned what happened with this report, Like, that that DoorDash is down 5% because the report said you could build DoorDash for free, which I don't believe, but, you know, whatever.
是的。
Yeah.
顺便说一下,那份报告对听众来说,基本上就是探讨如果人工智能效率高到让我们失业,世界会变成什么样?
And that report, by the way, for the listener, it was basically like, what happens in the world if AI is so efficient that we don't have jobs?
如果我们没有工作,那我们就不会买东西了。
And if we don't have jobs, then we're not buying stuff.
这就像是一个故事。
And it was just like a story.
这是一个想法。
It was it was an idea.
但你怎么才能确保你的公司充分意识到这股新潮流呢?
But how do you get so the the thing that I was gonna mention is just how do you make sure your company is properly aware of this new wave?
你又该如何让每个人都对探索AI对公司意味着什么充满热情呢?
And how do you get everyone super excited about figuring out what it's going to mean for your company.
这并不容易做到。
And that's not easy to do.
我最近重新回到了Zillow的董事会,所以亲眼见证了他们是怎么做的。
And I'm back on the board of Zillow, so I watched them do that recently.
这需要既有决心去做出这样的转型和行动,又要有能力让团队跟随你。
And it requires having both the conviction to make that kind of pivot and move and then the ability to get the people to follow you.
你提到擅长产品和成为优秀领导者很相似,这说法挺有意思。
That's funny that you said it was like being good at product and being a good leader.
我记得你好像还说过,杰夫·贝佐斯就是那种同时把这两件事做得特别好的人吗?
I think you also said do you also say that like Jeff Bezos is one of those guys who does two things really well?
有人去系统梳理一下杰夫·贝佐斯的领导方法会是个不错的练习,因为亚马逊在员工规模达到十万人后依然保持创新,这非常难做到。
It would be a good exercise to for someone to kind of write down the leadership techniques of Jeff Bezos because Amazon remained innovative after it got to like a 100,000 employees, and that's very hard to do.
这不是一个人的问题,而是一个人创建了一个系统来强化他自己的想法。
It's not one human, it's one human creating a system that reinforces whatever he thought.
你明白我的意思吗?
You see what I'm saying?
你怎么能让这个系统即使在你不在的时候也能持续发挥作用呢?
And like, how do you make that system keep doing that even after, you know, on days you're not there?
他和埃隆,我觉得人们根本没有真正理解他们是如何做到的。
And him and Elon, I just don't think people fully grok how they're
能够领导团队。
able to lead.
这些行业巨头,你觉得他们的幸福感和他们的成就之间有没有什么关联,或者相反的关联?
A lot of these people who are these, like, of the titans of industry that you know, do you think that there's any correlation or reverse correlation of happiness?
我不认识谁笑得比杰夫·贝佐斯更响亮。
I don't know anyone that laughs louder than Jeff Bezos.
如果你见过他放声大笑的样子,天啊。
If you've been around him when he lets go one of his guffaws, man.
我认为他真的很热爱生活。
And I think he really loves life.
我只是说我不认为这两者之间有相关性。
I'm just saying that I don't think there's a correlation.
我的意思是,只要一有机会,比如Shopify的Toby做播客什么的,我都会立刻去听,我发现他对领导力和生活的态度非常轻松。
I mean, every chance I get, if Toby from Shopify does a podcast or something, I'm eating it out and I find his attitude on leadership in life to be lighthearted.
他看起来像是那种产品型领导者。
He seems like another one of these product leadership guys.
他有一种非常独特的领导风格。
He's got a very unique flavor of leadership.
他非常睿智。
He has a very wise.
他身上有一种智慧。
He he is something wise about him.
多年了。
Years.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
他身上有种智慧的气质。
There's something wise about him.
你看到他过去二十年里每十分钟就给电脑屏幕截一次图的事了吗?
Do you see where he took screenshots of his computer screen every ten minutes for the last twenty years?
因为他就是这样,他说,我是个书呆子,我就是喜欢记录这些,就像日记一样,他一直在追踪所有这些事情。
And because he was just he's like, I'm a nerd, and then I just love, like, having this diary of, like, what what was on my like, he was tracking all of this.
他说,我当时并不知道要用这些数据做什么。
And he's like, I didn't know what I was gonna do with this.
现在有了人工智能,我可以把这些上传,然后它就能,比如说,教我认识我自己。
Now that AI exists, I can, like, upload this and, like, it could, like, teach me about myself.
但他拥有这种,我称之为,书呆子式的智慧,真的很酷。
But he's got this, like, really cool I call it, like, nerd wisdom.
比如,你知道HubSpot的达梅什吗?
Like, you know, Darmesh at HubSpot?
我见过他,但对他不太了解。
I have met him, but I don't know him as well.
他有点像那种类型,有这么一群人,当你想到领导者时,有时会想到像拿破仑那样,充满激情,能激励人心的人。
He's kind of the same thing where there's these, like, there's these groups of group of guys who are, like, very like, when you think of a leader, sometimes you think of, like, a Napoleon, like, rah rah, like, rile people up.
但还有另一群人,他们相当内向,而且很安静。
But there's this other group of, like, fairly introverted people, and they're quiet.
当他们说话时,你会认真听。
And when they talk, you listen.
但我认为这两种类型都很有用。
But I think they're they're both useful.
对于那些大约18、19、20岁正在听这些的年轻人来说。
For someone who's, like, 18, 19, 20, they're listening to this.
你为这本书做了所有这些研究。
You did all this research for this book.
你建议他们读哪些传记?
Are there what biographies do you suggest they go read?
我的意思是,这很大程度上取决于他们的兴趣所在。
I mean, I think it would be heavily dependent on what interests them.
或者说,哪些传记对你影响最大?
Or rather what made the biggest impact on you?
我不记得自己17岁的时候有没有读过传记。
I don't know if I was reading biographies at 17.
我真正开始喜欢阅读是在上商学院之后,书单里都列出来了。
I really got into reading when I got to business school and I they're all listed in here.
书的末尾列出了35本书。
There's 35 books listed at the back of the book.
所以我认为关键是,而且我甚至不确定非得要读书不可。
So I, but I think the key is just to, and I don't even know that it has to be reading.
现在有这么多播客,像你做的这种,还有和各种人的YouTube访谈,要了解某件事实在太容易了。
There's so many podcasts like the ones you do and YouTube interviews with people like it's so easy to go learn about something.
所以我只是觉得,不管你对什么感兴趣,就去多了解一些,看看会不会带你走向某个方向。
So I'm just like, whatever interests you, go learn more about it and see if that takes you somewhere.
看看它是否能让你感到兴奋。
See if that makes you excited.
看看它是否让你想继续深入了解下一个。
See if it makes you want to pick up the next one.
如果是这样,我认为你很可能走在正确的道路上。
And if it is, I think you're probably in the right lane.
如果不是,那就留意什么让你着迷,留意什么吸引你。
If not, just pay attention to what fascinates you, pay attention to what interests you.
我坚信,比别人说的更多人可以把爱好发展成职业。
I'm a big believer that more people can chase careers in their hobby than someone else might say.
比如,如果你对某件事有强烈的热情,即使它只是个爱好,你也可能会感到惊讶。
Like if there's something you're just super passionate about, even if it's a hobby, you might be surprised.
也许完全有可能围绕它打造一份事业。
There might be a way to make a career around it.
嗯,现在有了互联网就方便多了。
Well, it's a lot easier now with the internet.
顺便说一句,我很想以你刚才提出的这个观点来结束讨论。
By the way, I would love to close with this point that you just made.
就像我说的,如果你是一个对工作不上心、经历了自己不太在乎的过程的人,我能理解为什么你会觉得AI这东西有威胁。
You're a, like I said, if you're someone who's disengaged at work that went through some process you didn't care about that much, I can understand why this AI thing would feel threatening to you.
如果你在打造自己的个人职业生涯并且拥有高度自主权——我想这是你之前用过的词——那么AI就像是一个喷气背包。
If you're crafting your own personal career and your high agency, I think that's the word you used earlier, AI is like a jet pack.
就像你现在能做的事情比以前任何时候都多。
Like you can do more stuff than you ever could before.
在人类历史上,你现在学习的速度比以往任何时候都快。
You can learn faster than you ever could before in the history of time.
你可以找到志同道合的人。
You can find people to connect with.
你现在建立人脉的速度比以往任何时候都快。
You can network faster than you ever could before.
所以,如果你有自主性并且有明确的方向,AI会让事情变得好得多。
And so if you have agency and a direction you're headed in, AI is going to make things way better.
所以我认为这只是一个有趣的悖论:有些人害怕AI会摧毁他们。
So I think it's just this interesting paradox that there are people out there who fear that it's going to dismantle them.
还有一些人,天哪,我遇到过很多,我称之为中小型企业创始人或地区性创始人,他们经营着洗衣店或仓储设施,他们发现了AI能为他们做的一切,现在他们感觉自己超人一般。
There's people out there who are like, Oh my God, I can't I've met so many, what I would call like SMB founders or regional founders running you know, businesses that are laundromats or storage facility, and and they've discovered all the things they can do with AI, and now they they feel superhuman.
所以我会用一个故事来收尾。
So I'll wrap up with the story.
你会喜欢这个故事的。
You'll you'll dig this.
我岳母,她叫史密西。
So my mother-in-law, her name's Smithy.
她大约14岁的时候从海地来到美国。
She came here to to America from Haiti at, like, 14 years old.
她不会说英语。
Didn't speak English.
嫁给了我岳父杰夫。
Married my father-in-law, Jeff.
杰夫经营一家搬家公司。
Jeff owned a moving company.
史密蒂长期在家做全职主妇。
Smithy was a stay at home mom for a long time.
孩子们长大后,她觉得有点迷失。
The kids grew up, and she was like, I'm kinda lost.
我得做点什么。
I need to do something.
到底怎么了?
What's going on?
大约五年前,她对我说:‘山姆,我想开个卖枕头的网店。’
So about five years ago, she says to me, she goes, Sam, I think I'm gonna start an online store that sells pillows.
枕头?
Like, pillows?
之类的。
I'm or whatever.
听起来不错。
Sounds good.
然后我就说,有个叫Shopify的平台。
And I like I was like, there's this thing called Shopify.
就从那里开始吧。
Just start just start there.
从那到现在已经五年了。
It's been five years since that.
她现在拥有一家枕头公司,每年枕头销售额超过100万美元。
She now has a pillow company that sells over $1,000,000 a year in pillows.
她在新泽西有一个仓库,雇有五名全职员工销售枕头。
She has a warehouse in New Jersey with five full time employees selling pillows.
她刚上过播客节目。
She was just on the pod.
她整天都在用AI,比如她会问:‘我该怎么买广告?’
And she uses AI, like, all day to like, she's like, how do I buy an ad?
然后呢,你知道的,ChatGPT教她怎么做。
And like, you know, ChatGPT like teaches her.
或者她会问:‘我该怎么……?’
Or she's like, how do I whatever?
就像是YouTube和ChatGPT在告诉她该做什么。
Like it's YouTube at ChatGPT like telling her what to do.
她之前根本不知道‘电子商务’这个词。
And she didn't know she didn't know the word e commerce.
她也不懂那是什么意思。
She didn't know what that meant.
她基本上只知道Google是什么,仅此而已。
She basically just knew what Google was, so that was it.
而现在,年过五十的她,创办了一家年收入数百万美元的电子商务业务。
And now she, in her late fifties, started a ecommerce business that does millions of dollars a year.
这太不可思议了。
That's amazing.
太疯狂了。
Crazy.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
不是的。
No.
但如果你已经准备好,现在正是推动自己前进的最佳时机。
But there's never been a better time to propel yourself forward if that's what you're prepared
去做。
to do.
好的,兄弟,谢谢你这么做。
Well, thank you for doing this, brother.
好的。
Alright.
好的。
Alright.
上帝保佑。
God bless
保重。
Take care.
是的。
Yeah.
如果你看到这里,那你一定会喜欢我接下来要告诉你的内容。
If you made it this far, then you're gonna love what I'm about to tell you.
有一位了不起的创业者。
So there's this amazing entrepreneur.
他叫尼尔·帕特尔。
His name is Neil Patel.
他在MFM上。
He's on MFM.
他是我们最喜爱的嘉宾之一,他还有一档播客。
He's one of our favorite guests, and he has a podcast.
这档播客叫《Marketing School》,由HubSpot播客网络出品。
It's called Marketing School, and it's brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
《Marketing School》每天为你提供来自多年实战经验的可操作数字营销技巧。
Marketing School brings you daily actionable digital marketing lessons learned from years and years of being in the trenches.
它已经获得了超过一亿次下载,发布了超过2500期内容。
They have over a 100,000,000 downloads and over 2,500 episodes.
无论你是刚建了网站,还是已经拥有庞大的成熟业务,《Marketing School》都能为你提供即刻可用的碎片化营销智慧。
Marketing School gives you bite sized marketing wisdom that you can implement immediately whether you have a new website or you already have this huge established business.
你将学到最新的SEO、内容营销、社交媒体、电子邮件营销、转化率优化,以及当下有效的在线营销策略。
You're gonna learn about the latest SEO, content marketing, social media, email marketing, conversion optimization, and general online marketing strategies that work today.
你可以在任何获取播客的平台收听《Marketing School》。
You can get Marketing School wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。