本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
哦,嗨。
Oh, hey.
这是咖啡馆里唯一一张空桌子,上面有牛角面包屑,不过没关系。
It's the one open table at the cafe that has croissant crumbs on it, but that's fine.
艾莉·沃德。
Allie Ward.
这是《Ologies》。
This is Ologies.
这些是海蛞蝓。
These are Nudibranchs.
我们聊的是那些你不知道自己会爱上的滑溜溜的美人。
We're talking sluggy beauties that you didn't know you needed to love.
设计、戏剧性、发现。
The designs, the drama, the discoveries.
海蛞蝓,它们是什么?
Nudibranchs, what are they?
它们是海洋中的软体动物。
They're soft bodied mollusks of the sea.
它们生活在从热带地区到南极洲冰雪覆盖的角落,从浅海到深海都有分布。
They live in the tropics to the far snowy corners of Antarctica, from the shallows to the depths.
我们将全面了解它们。
We're gonna hear all about them.
有太多值得喜爱的物种了。
There's so many species to love.
有太多种类了,所以我们请来了同一种物种的两位成员——两位人类,都是海蛞蝓专家,分别居住在大陆的两端,但对海蛞蝓的热爱同等深厚。
So many that we called upon two members of the same species, both humans, nudibranchologists who live on opposite sides of the continent, but love nudibranchs equally.
一位是位于旧金山的加州科学院无脊椎动物学与地质学部门的高级馆长。
One is the senior curator of California Academy of Sciences, Invertebrate Zoology and Geology Department in San Francisco.
他自1982年起就在那里工作。
He has been there since 1982.
他是那些常年穿着潜水服的人心目中的传奇人物。
He is a legend among people who wear wet suits for a living.
我们要全面聊聊这个话题。
We're gonna talk all about it.
我们的第二位专家,我知道我们几乎从不邀请超过一位专家,但这次要聊的内容实在太多了——他是美国自然历史博物馆的助理馆长,研究海洋无脊椎动物的生物多样性和进化,包括海蛞蝓。
Our second expert, I know we almost never have more than one expert, but there was just too much to talk about, is an assistant curator at the American Museum of Natural History and studies the biodiversity and evolution of marine invertebrates, including nudibranchs.
是的。
Yes.
海蛞蝓学,这确实是个词。
Nudibranchology, it's a word.
它指的是裸露的鳃,也就是‘brancia’,一种长着外部肺部的蛞蝓,它们还有更多令人惊叹的特点。
It means nude or naked gills or brancia, slugs with outside lungs, and they have so much more going for them.
我们马上就会深入探讨。
We're gonna get into it.
但首先,感谢所有通过 patreon.com/ologies 支持我们的听众,你们可以在录制前提交问题,每月仅需1美元即可加入。
But first, a quick thank you to all the listeners supporting us via patreon.com/ologies where you can submit questions before we record, and you can join that for $1 a month.
感谢每一位在那里的支持者。
Thank you to everyone who is there.
我们还有Ologies的周边商品,想把我们穿在身上的话,请访问ologiesmerch.com。
We also have ologies merch you wanna put us on your bodies at ologiesmerch.com.
而且,你只需花0美元,就能通过给我们写评论来大力支持我们。
And for $0, you can help us out so much by just leaving a review.
我确实会读每一条评论,它们在我打开新闻、想像一只老狗一样躲在门廊下自闭的时候,给了我继续下去的动力。
I do read them all, they keep me going on days when I open the news and I wanna die under the porch like an old dog.
所以,让我们继续并肩前行。
So let's stick together.
另外,感谢Riley Rainbow的留言:我现在在聚餐时绝对是全场最酷的。
But thank you Riley Rainbow who wrote, I'm officially the coolest at dinner parties.
我的同事和家人都喜欢我讲的那些奇怪冷知识。
My coworkers and family like my weird facts.
他们还写道,如果你有孩子,可以试试Small O Gs和100个空气喇叭。
Also, they write, if you have children, there's Small O Gs, 100 Airhorns.
我的孩子们每天上学路上都会点播我们的播客。
My kids ask for their podcast every morning on their way to school.
非常感谢莱利·雷恩bow的这条留言,也谢谢你提醒大家,我们有完全全年龄向、适合孩子收听的精简剧集,时长刚好适配接送孩子的车程。
Thank you so much for the review, Riley Rainbow, and also for the reminder that we have totally g rated, kid safe episodes that are trimmed down for carpool length.
这些剧集有单独的播客订阅源。
They're available in their own separate podcast feed.
它们叫做Smologies,拼写是s-m-o-l-o-g-i-e-s。
They're called Smologies, s m o l o g I e s.
再说一次,在你常用的任何播客平台上都能搜到它。
Again, look for it wherever you find podcasts.
把这个节目分享给身边的朋友吧。
Tell a friend.
好的。
Okay.
接下来就让我们深入海草床与岩石缝隙当中,揭开超多有意思的知识点:海兔的角、背部的指状结构、被“盗走”的防御武器、充满故事的初次约会、时尚相关的趣闻、迷你的小眼睛、婚姻平权、海蛞蝓的客串彩蛋、你一定要了解的桌游,手机如何温暖一位科学家的心,还有最棒的出门理由——穿上防风外套,和海洋生物学家、科研人员、软体动物学家,当然还有裸鳃类专家——杰西卡·古德哈特与特里·戈斯利纳两位博士一同探索。
Let's get into the weeds in the seagrass and the rocky crevices to discover facts about bunny horns, finger backs, stolen weaponry, eventful first dates, high fashion, tiny eyes, marriage equality, sea slug cameos, the board game you need, how your phone can warm a scientist's heart, and the best reason to slip on a windbreaker and leave the house with marine biologists, researchers, malacologists, and of course, nudibranchologists, doctors Jessica Goodheart and Terry Gosliner.
特里·戈斯利纳。
Terry Gosliner.
完美。
Perfect.
你从高中时期就在湾区开始研究水生生物了。
Now you have been studying aquatic creatures since you were just a wee wee thing in high school up in the Bay Area.
对吗?
Correct?
完全正确。
That is absolutely right.
是的。
Yeah.
你一生都热爱水吗?
Have you been a water person your whole life?
你喜欢穿上潜水服下水吗?
Do you like getting in a dive suit and getting into the water?
还是你更享受发现的过程?
Or do you mostly just love the discovery?
我是个水生生物爱好者。
I'm a water person.
我在高中时是个游泳健将。
I was a swimmer in high school.
我觉得我从小就像长了鳃一样,从此再也没有回头。
I feel like I sprouted gills at an early age and haven't looked back.
你能回忆一下你第一次在野外看到海蛞蝓的情景吗?
Can you kind of take me back to the first time that you saw a Nudibranch in the wild?
是在淡水里吗?
Was it freshwater?
还是在海水里?
Was it saltwater?
是在潮池里吗?
Was it in a tide pool?
肉眼可见。
Naked eye.
你还记得那些最初的几次 sighting 吗?
Do you remember some of those first sightings?
我记得非常清楚。
Oh, I remember it very clear.
就像昨天发生的一样。
Like like I was yesterday.
我以前在书里看过海蛞蝓的图片,一直想在野外亲眼见到一只。
I had seen pictures of Nudibranchs in books and I always wanted to see one in the wild.
小时候,我常去当地的潮池里寻找,但从来没找到过。
As a kid, I went out to local tide pools and looked around and never found one.
后来,我有一位很棒的高中生物老师,他经常带我们去各种自然环境考察。
And then I had this amazing high school biology teacher who used to take classes out to all kinds of environments.
我们做了很多探索。
And we did a lot of exploring.
于是我告诉他,我特别想看到一只海蛞蝓。
And so I told him that I really wanted to see a Nudibranch.
他说,我下周就能帮你实现这个愿望。
And he said, I can make that happen next week.
于是我们去了潮池,结果发现我之前找的地方不对。
And so we went out to the tide pools and it turned out I wasn't looking in the right place.
我立刻在潮池里看到了一只美丽的红、蓝、黄三色海蛞蝓。
And immediately, I saw this beautiful red, blue, and yellow nudibranch in the tide pools.
当时我就对自己说,我真的很想更多地了解这些生物,而直到今天,我仍在不断探索它们。
And I said to myself at that point, I really wanna find out more about these animals, and I'm still finding out more about those animals today.
你能估算一下世界上有多少种海蛞蝓吗?
Is there any way to estimate how many kinds of nudibranchs are out there?
我曾经写过一篇论文试图预测这个数字,那是上世纪90年代中期,我们估计大约有6000种海蛞蝓。
I did a paper trying to predict what that might be, and we said, this was back in the mid 1990s that there were probably 6,000 species of nudibranchs.
但根据最近的数据,实际数量可能是那个数字的三到五倍。
And after looking at the recent data, they're probably three to five times that amount.
哇哦。
So Wow.
可能多达三万种中性慕斯。
Maybe up to 30,000 species of neuter meringues.
相比之下,有多少种呢?
In which, by contrast, there's what?
哺乳动物不到五千种。
Less than 5,000 species of mammals.
对吧?
Right?
所以我们谈论的是惊人的多样性和数量。
So this is we're talking about incredible diversity and numbers.
你已经发现了上千种,1500种,你发现了多少种?
And you have discovered over a thousand species 1,500 how many species have you discovered?
大约1500种。
About 1,500.
什么?
What?
但我们只正式命名了其中大约450种。
But we've only formally named about 450 of them.
所以我们还有很多工作要做。
So we got a lot of work to do.
幸运的是,我有一群来自世界各地的优秀学生和合作者,我们一起合作,取得了一些进展,但我发现新物种的速度比我能研究它们的速度还要快。
And fortunately, I have a great group of students and other collaborators around the world that I work with, and we can make some headway, but I find them faster than I can work on them.
好的。
Okay.
显然,你以前的做法不太对,但后来你学会了如何做得极其正确。
Well, you were obviously not doing something right, and then you learned how to do something extremely right.
没错。
Exactly.
找到它们的秘诀是什么?
What was that trick to finding them?
关键是了解它们正确的栖息地。
Well, it was knowing the right habitat.
我当时在另一个潮池区域寻找,那里离‘涅槃’大约一百码远。
And I was looking in this other tide pool area that was maybe a 100 yards away from Nirvana.
一旦我知道要翻过这座山脊,去看山脊另一侧的潮池,那简直是一个神奇的世界。
Once I knew to go over this ridge and look in the tide pools on the other side of the ridge, it was a magical world.
我无法充分描述这些海蛞蝓那种超凡脱俗的美丽。
I cannot adequately describe the otherworldly beauty of these sea slugs.
想象一颗口香糖或药片,但它是用柔软的肉质构成的,背部有一排像手指一样的小突起,叫做锯齿状突起。
Picture a chicklet or a lozenge, but it's made of squishy flesh with a ridge along its back of these finger like nubbins called serrata.
它们用于呼吸或防御,随着水流轻轻摇曳。
They're used for breathing or defense, and they're just swaying with the currants so gently.
而裸鳃类动物,它们的颜色可以涵盖彩虹般的各种色系。
Now nudibranchs, they can range a rainbow of color palettes.
比如有一种海蛞蝓,身体是钴蓝色的,身上有南瓜橙色的条纹。
Like, there's one with a cobalt blue body striped with pumpkin orange.
还有一些看起来像淡紫色的飞毯,长着两只兔子耳朵,尾巴是一个黄色的绒球——那其实是鳃或鳃羽。
Others that look like a lilac flying carpet with two bunny ears and a yellow pom pom tail that's actually gills or branchial plumes.
有一种幽灵般的白色海蛞蝓,身上布满短小的黑色凸起,头部有两根角,看起来像正在冒烟的火柴棒。
There are ghostly white nudibranchs studded with these short black bumps and two horns on the head that look like smoldering matchsticks.
还有一些看起来像小长颈鹿,通体丝绒般漆黑,点缀着酸绿色斑点,尾巴像孔雀羽毛,但却是由蛞蝓的羽毛构成的。
Others look like tiny giraffes and are velvety black with acid green spots and a tail like a peacock if it were made out of slug feathers.
有些海蛞蝓通过围绕肛门的一圈流苏状结构呼吸。
Some nudibranchs breathe out of a rosette of streamers surrounding their butthole.
它们比我们更优秀的生物。
They are better creatures than us.
如果你处于兴奋状态,千万别去搜索海蛞蝓的颜色。
Do not Google nudibranch colors if you're high.
那会把你击垮的。
It will break you.
如果你想拥抱一只海蛞蝓,别这么做。
If you need to cuddle a nudibranch, don't.
但你可以访问一个叫 Wool Creature Lab 的网站,那里展示了纤维艺术家伊琳娜·博罗维奇的作品,她手工制作了一整套微型羊毛毡海蛞蝓,以致敬它们真实世界中黏糊糊的姐妹们。
But do visit a site called Wool Creature Lab, featuring the work of fiber artist Irina Borovic, who handcrafted an entire menagerie of tiny felted wool nudibranchs to pay homage to their real life slimy sisters.
你可能直到此刻才听说过海蛞蝓,但它们会狠狠地将星辰砸进你的眼中。
Nudibranchs, you may have never heard of one until this moment, but they will slam stars in your eyes so hard.
特里并不是唯一一个被海蛞蝓深深吸引的海蛞蝓学家。
Terry is not the only nudibranchologist consumed with wonder.
我还与一位科学家聊过,他利用基因组学研究它们的进化,并担任纽约美国自然历史博物馆古德哈特实验室的软体动物助理馆长。
I also chatted with a scientist who uses genomics to investigate their evolution and is an assistant curator of mollusks at the American Museum of Natural History's Goodheart Lab in New York.
我是杰西卡·古德哈特,我的代词是她。
I am Jessica Goodheart, and my pronouns are sheher.
我猜人们经常跟你说他们有多喜欢你的名字。
I bet you people tell you how much they love your name constantly.
是的。
Yeah.
这很常见。
It's very common.
或者,比如,你有一颗善良的心吗?
Or, like, do you have a good heart?
这又是另一个。
That's another one.
你觉得人们会因为你的名字而对你更友善吗?
Do you think people are are nicer to
因为你名字的关系,人们会对你更好吗?
you because of your name?
我不知道答案。
I don't know the answer to that.
这是个好问题。
That's a good question.
我想我永远也不会知道。
I guess I would never know.
没办法确定。
There's no way to know for sure.
你可以换个名字,看看人们会不会对你无礼。
You could change it and see if people are rude to you.
是的。
Yeah.
但我并不建议这么做。
But I don't recommend it.
大概不会。
Probably not.
你一直以来是不是更喜欢水生环境而不是陆地环境?
Have you always been more of an aquatic person than a terrestrial person?
绝对是的。
Definitely.
对。
Yeah.
我更喜欢海洋,胜过其他任何地方。
I much prefer the ocean to anything else.
但我也是在加州长大的,所以我觉得这多少改变了一些情况。
But I also grew up in California, so I think that changes the dynamic a bit.
医生。
Doctor.
古德哈特告诉我,她实际上是来自西科维纳。
Goodheart told me that she was technically from West Covina.
加利福尼亚州的科维纳。
Covina, California.
在我的内心深处,我感到一种
In my soul, I feel a
一个位于洛杉矶以东约三十英里的郊区,在受欢迎的音乐喜剧剧集《疯狂前女友》中频繁出现。
A suburb 30 or so miles east of LA, which features prominently in the beloved musical comedy series Crazy Ex Girlfriend.
嗯,我们离海滩有两小时车程,而且还是外国交通。
Well, we are two hours from the beach from foreign traffic.
所以你是在加利福尼亚长大的,离海洋不远。
And so you grew up in California, somewhat near the ocean.
你小时候有没有很早就产生过一种想法:我要找一份能让我接触水的工作。
Was there an early interest in, I gotta do a job that gets me in that water.
我必须待在水里。
I have to be in that water.
是的。
So, yes.
我的意思是,小时候我们常去海滩,挖沙蟹,其实我甚至不知道它们正式叫什么名字。
I mean, when I was a kid, we would go to the beach and we would dig up the sand crabs that don't I actually even know what they're officially called.
我真该去查一下。
I really should check into that.
但我们总会把它们挖出来,我很喜欢把它们抓起来,放进桶里,观察它们。
But I we would dig those up, and I loved picking them up, putting them in a bucket, and looking at them.
但随着我长大,我其实并不知道这个职业是存在的。
But then as I got older, I didn't really know that this job existed, I guess.
于是我开始准备当兽医。
So I started preparing to be a vet.
我想学习当兽医,但我真的不太喜欢。
I wanted to study to be a veterinarian, and I just didn't really like it.
我以为我会的。
I I thought I would.
我爱动物,但这真的不适合我。
I love animals, but it just wasn't really for me.
杰西卡说她的父母不是科学家,所以她没有现成的榜样。
Jessica says that her parents weren't scientists, so she didn't have a blueprint.
但她很喜欢生物课,并联系了一位研究海蛞蝓的研究人员。
But she loved her biology classes, and she reached out to a researcher who happened to study sea slugs.
所以关于职业。
So careers.
有时候,要找到对的方向,你得四处探索。
Sometimes to get to the right spot, you gotta go all over the place.
说到这个。
Speaking of.
那它们的分布范围呢?
What about their range?
看到海蛞蝓 rare 吗?还是它们存在于每个海洋环境中?
Is it rare to see a Nudibranch, or are they in every marine environment?
它们无处不在,我想是这样的。
They are everywhere, I would say.
比如,你可以在深海找到它们。
Like, you can find them in the deep sea.
你当然也能在热带和极地地区找到它们。
You can find them in, obviously, the tropics and polar areas.
它们真的无处不在。
Like, they are everywhere.
你能不能看到它们,那是另一个问题。
Whether you can see them or not, I think is a different question.
有时候在某些地方,它们比其他地方更难被发现,或者某些动物更难被看到。
Sometimes they're harder to see in certain places than others or certain animals are harder to see.
尤其是在热带地区,物种多样性通常更丰富,也更容易发现。
And certainly in the tropics, you tend to get a lot more diversity and it's easier.
但如果你知道该去哪里、怎么找,它们通常都在那里。
But they're usually there if you know kind of where and how to look.
该去哪里、怎么找呢?
How, where, and how do you look?
大概有几种方法。
There's a couple of ways, I guess.
我们通常会潜水、浮潜,有时也会去潮池观察,或者我称之为靠岸观察——就是去漂浮的码头边上看。
So we look, we scuba dive, we snorkel, sometimes we just do tide pooling, or we do what I call docking, which is just going on floating docks and looking on the side.
通常那里会有很多生物附着。
Usually, there's a bunch of growth.
但基本上,你可以寻找它们的猎物,只要在合适的季节,应该就能找到海蛞蝓。
But basically, you look for their prey and you should be able to find nudibranchs as long as they're in season.
一旦你往北走更远,季节性就会更明显,我觉得是这样。
So once you start getting farther north, you can have more seasonality, I would say.
有时候它们会被冲上岸,然后又被冲走。
And sometimes they do kinda wash in and then wash out.
你可能会在一个地方看到成百上千只,但到了下周,它们就完全消失了,因为它们已经完成繁殖,就这样结束了。
You might see hundreds or thousands of them all in one spot, and then, like, the next week, they're totally gone because they've finished reproducing and that's it.
它们喜欢生活在什么地方?
Where do they like to live?
这可能是个不太聪明的问题,但有没有淡水中的海蛞蝓,还是它们都生活在海洋环境中?
And, I mean, this might be not a very smart question, but are there freshwater nudibranchs, or are they all in marine environments?
它们都生活在海洋环境中。
They're all in marine environments.
有一些与海蛞蝓相关的物种生活在一些淡水溪流中,或者靠近海洋入海口的热带地区。
There's some relatives of nudibranchs that are found in some freshwater streams and tropical environments very close to where they empty into the ocean.
所以有一些可以生活在淡水中的,但它们不是真正的海蛞蝓。
So there's some that can live in freshwater, but they're not true nudibranchs.
它们就像是海蛞蝓的表亲,能够在淡水中生存。
They're like nudibranch cousins, and they can survive in freshwater.
明白了。
Okay.
所以,真正的海蛞蝓都生活在海洋环境中,对吧。
So the true nudibranchs that are in marine environments Right.
它们喜欢什么样的环境?
What type of vibe do they like?
什么样的栖息地最适合它们?
What type of habitat is perfect for them?
那里有很多藻类吗?
Does it have a lot of algae in it?
有很多岩石表面吗?
Does it have a lot of rocky surfaces?
它们喜欢躲藏吗?
Do they like to hide?
事实上,你几乎可以在任何地方找到海蛞蝓。
Well, you can find nudibranchs almost anywhere as it turns out.
一般来说,你在岩石环境以及像加利福尼亚沿海潮池这样的地方能发现更多种类。
And, basically, you find a higher diversity in rocky environments and in places like California and in tidal pools along the coast.
但数量最多、我花最多时间研究海蛞蝓的地方是热带珊瑚礁生态系统。
But the greatest abundance and where I've spent most of my time studying nudibranchs is in tropical coral reef ecosystems.
但你也能在沙质海滩上找到它们。
But you can find them off sandy beaches.
你可以在深海中发现它们。
You can find them down in the deep ocean.
你可以在北极和南极找到它们。
You can find them in the Arctic and Antarctic.
只要有海水的地方,就有海蛞蝓。
Wherever there's saltwater, they're nudibranchs.
你都去过哪些地方寻找它们?
What kind of places have you ended up going looking for them?
哦,去了很多有趣的地方。
Oh, a lot of cool places.
自从我成立实验室以来,我们已经在佛罗里达州以及其他一些类似的地方,比如美国境内,进行过采集。
So since I started the lab, we've done collecting in Florida and other, like, semi local places, so in The US.
我去了西澳大利亚。
I went to Western Australia.
我带我的实验室去了苏格兰。
I took my lab to Scotland.
我们计划前往马达加斯加和美属萨摩亚进行野外考察。
We have field expeditions planned to Madagascar and American Samoa.
我去过法属波利尼西亚、巴布亚新几内亚和巴拿马。
I've been to French Polynesia, Papua New Guinea, Panama.
它们无处不在。
They're everywhere.
所以能随便去哪儿都能找到海蛞蝓,真的非常棒。
So it's really nice to to be able to just kinda go wherever I want, and there's sea slugs there.
那里有裸鳃类动物。
There's Nudibranchs there.
你小时候有没有想过,你的护照会因为海蛞蝓而盖满印章?
Did you ever think growing up that, like, your passport would be this stamped because of sea slugs?
我那时候肯定想不到,主要是我那时候根本没搞懂……不对,我那时候压根不知道海蛞蝓是什么东西。
I definitely didn't, mostly because I don't think I really understood what sea I don't think I knew what sea slugs were.
不过我找到过一张自己的老照片,是几年前我整理父母家车库的时候翻出来的。
I have a really good picture though of myself that I found going through my parents' garage a couple years ago.
照片里的我大概六七岁的样子,手里捧着一只海蛞蝓,是一只很大的加州海兔,也就是潮池里常见的那种大型海蛞蝓,也叫海兔。
It's a picture of me, I might have been like six or seven, holding a sea slug, holding a big Aplegia californica, which is one of the big ones in the tide pools, says sea hair.
我之前完全不知道还有这张照片,后来就这么把它找出来了。
And I had no idea this picture existed, and I found it.
我就觉得,哇,这太酷了。
I'm like, oh, that's cool.
所以我后来真的复刻了那张照片。
So I actually recreated the picture.
当时我人在圣地亚哥。
I was in San Diego at the time.
我尽可能穿了和当时差不多的衣服,举着一只海蛞蝓,还摆出了同一个表情——说实话那是个挺嫌弃的表情。
So I wore, like, as much of a similar outfit as I could, and I held up a sea slug and I made the same face, which was a pretty disgusted face, to be honest.
什么
What
海蛞蝓到底是什么?
exactly is a sea slug?
裸鳃类是什么?
What is a nudibranch?
所有的裸鳃类都是海蛞蝓,但并非所有的海蛞蝓都是裸鳃类。
So all nudibranchs are sea slugs, but not all sea slugs are nudibranchs.
一般来说,我们把属于异鳃类这一类的生物定义为海蛞蝓。
So in general, the way that we qualify what is a sea slug, they're within this group called heterobranchia.
这个类别还包括肺螺类或陆地蜗牛和蛞蝓。
It also contains pollinates or land snails and slugs.
所以并不只是海蛞蝓。
So it's not just sea slugs.
也不只是没有壳的生物。
It's not just things without a shell.
很多海蛞蝓确实有壳,但通常我们认为海蛞蝓是指壳退化了的种类。
A lot of them do have shells, but sea slugs generally are considered ones that either have a reduced shell.
也就是说,壳因为某种原因变成了内部结构,或者变得非常小,以至于它们无法像以前那样完全缩进去,或者成年后完全失去了壳。
So a shell that for whatever reason is either internal or just smaller, so they can't really retract into it the same way, or they've just lost it completely as adults.
这基本上就是我们对它们进行分类的方式。
And that's sort of how we classify them.
过去它们被称为‘肺鳃类’,但后来我们发现,它们实际上多次独立失去了壳。
It used to be called the pis the brancae, but we realized later that it actually they've lost shells multiple times.
所以正如我们所说,所有仙人掌都是多肉植物,但并非所有多肉植物都是仙人掌。
So as we have said, all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.
而裸鳃类自成一个目,因为它们成年后没有壳,并且拥有外部的鳃,就像那些鳃羽状结构,或者通过背部的指状突起进行呼吸。
And nudibranchs are in an order all their own because they have no shells as adults, and they have external gills like those bronchial plumes, or they breathe through those fingery serrata on their back.
它们还利用那对‘兔耳朵’——也就是触角,来感知周围环境,这一切都是为了觅食、繁衍更多裸鳃类,并抵御天敌。
And they use those bunny ears, aka rhinophores, to sense what's happening around them, all in a quest to eat stuff, to make more nudibranchs, and survive the haters.
但似乎它们在不同猎物类型之间的转变相当频繁,这可能与此有关。
But there seems to be a lot of transitions to different prey types, which may be involved.
它们演化出这些非常酷的防御机制,可能使它们得以多样化。
Them evolving these really cool defense mechanisms may have allowed them to diversify.
它们如此多样,但看起来却非常脆弱,因为它们生活在海洋中,而海洋里的一切都在寻找食物,而它们却是柔软、美丽、有褶边的生物。
They're so diverse, and yet they seem like they would be so vulnerable because they're out in the ocean where everything's looking for a snack, and here are these squishy, beautiful, frilly things.
没错。
Exactly.
它们是如何演化出适应这些环境的能力的呢?
How did they evolve to survive all these environments?
这其实是个非常有趣的故事。
Well, that's really an interesting story.
但基本上,它们演化出了其他的防御机制。
But, basically, they evolved other defense mechanisms.
它们以各种各样的生物为食,比如非常有毒的海绵。
They feed on a wide variety of things like sponges that are very toxic.
它们以海葵、水母及其近亲为食,能够将猎物的刺细胞吸收并整合到自己的体内,用作防御机制。
They feed on sea anemones and jellyfish and their relatives, and they can incorporate the stinging cells from their prey into their own bodies and use them for a defense mechanism.
所以它们找到了一些非常聪明的方法,利用化学防御和化学战来实现无壳爬行。
So they've figured out some very clever ways to basically exploit chemical defense and chemical warfare as a way of being able to crawl around without a shell.
如果你仔细想想,制造贝壳在能量上是非常昂贵的。
And if you think about it, building a shell is energetically very expensive to produce a shell.
你需要摄入碳酸钙,然后分泌它,最后还得背着自己的房子到处爬,就像拖着一辆房车。
You have to incorporate calcium carbonate, you then have to secrete it, and then you're burdened with crawling around with your house on your back like a camper truck.
这基本上限制了你的活动能力和自由度,而且非常重。
Basically it doesn't allow you to have the kind of mobility and freedom of movement, and it weighs a lot.
因此,摆脱贝壳为海蛞蝓开辟了全新的生态和进化机遇。
So being free of a shell has opened up a whole new world for Nudibranchs in terms of ecological and evolutionary opportunities.
说到全新的世界,我想那应该是另一部迪士尼电影了。
Speaking of a whole new world, well, I guess that's I think that's a different Disney movie.
但《小美人鱼》里有海蛞蝓吗?
But are there nudibranchs in the little mermaid?
它们应该出现吗?
Should there be?
一定有。
There must be.
我没仔细看,但如果动画师们尽职尽责,那里面肯定有海蛞蝓。
I haven't looked that closely, but if the animators were doing their job, they're definitely nudibranchs.
那《寻找尼莫》呢?
What about finding Nemo?
我想知道《寻找尼莫》里有没有海蛞蝓。
I wonder if finding Nemo has nudibranchs.
是的。
Yeah.
我确实在《寻找尼莫》的背景里见过海蛞蝓。
I I've seen nudibranchs in the background and Finding Nemo for sure.
我确实发现了一对在《小美人鱼》里当群演的海蛞蝓。
I did find a pair of nudibranchs who are extras in the little mermaid.
它们的腹部是橙色的,身体是芭比粉,带有深紫红色的点缀,看起来是以Mexichromis mariae为原型的。
They each have an orange underside and a Barbie pink body with deep fuchsia accents, and they appear to be based on Mexichromis mariae.
虽然我非常欣赏这个配色方案的细致入微,但我注意到这对亲密互动的海蛞蝓伴侣——一个面容朴素,另一个则有睫毛和口红——显得过于异性恋中心了。
And while I really appreciate the attention to detail on that color palette, I did notice that this canoodling nudibranch couple made up of one plain faced partner and another with eyelashes and lipstick was so heteronormative.
我认为,《小美人鱼》的研究团队要么对海蛞蝓的性别流动性缺乏了解,要么只是错误地认为世界尚未准备好接受这一点。
I think it means that the Little Mermaid researchers either were ill informed about nudibranch gender fluidity, or they just wrongly assumed that the world wasn't ready for it.
然而,《海底总动员》走的是单打独斗的路线,它呈现了一只血红色、翩翩起舞的六鳃海蛞蝓,也就是俗称的西班牙舞者。
Now Finding Nemo, though, went a solo route, and it features one blood red, fluttering, hexabranches sanguinis, also known as the Spanish dancer.
它拥有宽大的丝带状身体,在水中波动时展现出芭蕾舞者般的优雅。
And it's got this wide ribbony body and kind of a ballet level grace as it undulates in the water.
可惜的是,这位华丽的舞者只是匆匆露了个脸。
Alas, though, this fancy dancer has but a cameo.
没有一句台词。
No speaking parts.
这个世界还是没准备好吗?
Is the world still not ready?
也许是时候该有了
Maybe it's time that there's
一部关于它们的皮克斯电影,或者至少 featuring 一只。
a Pixar movie about them or at least featuring one.
我觉得是的。
I think so.
对。
Yeah.
我同意这一点。
I agree with that.
我还觉得可以出一款不错的桌游。
I also think there'd be a good board game.
比如,你玩过《Wingspan》吗?
Like, have you ever played Wingspan?
玩过。
Yes.
玩过。
Yes.
我确信应该出一个裸鳃类版本的《Wingspan》。
I think there should be a Nudibranch version of Wingspan for sure.
就像一个海蛞蝓版本。
Like a sea slug version.
有一种
There's a
有很多非常酷的海蛞蝓。
lot of really cool sea slugs.
当然,你知道《Wingspan》这款游戏。
Wingspan, of course, you know this.
这是一款关于鸟类学的即时经典桌游。
It's that instant classic tabletop game about ornithology.
它由文学家兼专业游戏设计师、自然爱好者伊丽莎白·哈格雷夫创作。
It was created by litologist or professional game designer and nature enthusiast, Elizabeth Hargrave.
我早就想给她发邮件了,但我就是不知道该不该发。
I've been thinking about emailing her for a long time, and I just I don't know.
我感觉自己有点太宅了,居然会想到去建议这个,天哪。
I felt almost too nerdy, like, thinking that I might suggest that and be like, oh god.
再多一点海蛞蝓的内容。
More nudibranch stuff.
我只关注海蛞蝓,但我不确定。
I only do nudibranchs, but I don't know.
这可是我的专长。
It's my thing.
对吧?
Right?
总得有人认同吧。
Someone's got yes.
当你对海蛞蝓了解得这么多,还能和它们一起工作时,当个‘海蛞蝓达人’就没什么问题了。
It's your when you know as much about nudibranchs and you get to work with them, then it's okay to be the nudibranch guy.
你懂我的意思吧?
You know what I mean?
当然。
Absolutely.
对。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
但确实。
But yeah.
我觉得游戏会很棒。
I think I think a game would be great.
我很幸运通过谜学嘉宾、魔术师兼专业填字游戏作家大卫·昆(David Quang)认识了伊丽莎白。
So I had the fortune of being introduced to Elizabeth via enigmatology guest, the magician and professional crossword writer, David Quang.
我做了任何兴奋过度的人可能会做的事,给伊丽莎白发了封邮件,告诉她杰西卡说裸鳃类动物值得出一款桌游。
I did what anyone with excess giddiness might do, and I emailed Elizabeth to tell her that Jessica says that Nudibranchs deserve a board game.
伊丽莎白立刻给我回了信。
And Elizabeth shot me back a note.
她说,她非常喜欢这个点子,尽管我对海蛞蝓的了解不多,只知道它们看起来非常酷。
She said that she, quote, loves that idea from what little I know about Nudibranchs, mostly that they look awesome.
引号。
Quote.
所以,如果这些海蛞蝓有朝一日没有出现在你的游戏之夜餐桌上,也许某位动画师会因此受到启发,提升它们的知名度。
So if these sea slugs don't someday make it to your dining room table for game night, maybe an animator out there will be inspired to up their visibility.
确实值得。
So deserved.
我觉得它们已经准备好拥有自己的动画电影了,因为它们绚丽又惊艳。
I feel like they are ready for their own animated movie because they're dazzling and they're stunning.
它们看起来本来就像是卡通。
They already look like cartoons.
你能描述一下那些海蛞蝓的视觉外观吗?
Can you describe visually some of the nudibranchs out there?
因为当我看到图片时,它们看起来就像是AI生成的。
Because I when I see pictures, they look like AI.
是的,它们确实如此。
Well, they do.
对。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
只有人工智能的创造力不如现实世界。
Only AI is less creative than the real world.
没错。
Exactly.
没错。
Exactly.
你知道吗,有一些很好的例子说明海蛞蝓已经进入了流行文化。
You know, there's some really great examples of how nudibranchs have entered into popular culture.
而且,有一个网站展示了大卫·鲍伊的各种造型,以及实际存在的海蛞蝓物种,它们的外观与这些造型完全一致。
And, you know, there's a website that shows David Bowie in various outfits and actual species of nudibranchs that actually have the same outfits.
所以,大卫·鲍伊能想到的任何东西,海蛞蝓早就做到了。
And so anything that David Bowie could have come up with, nudibranchs did it before.
因此,这是一个绝佳的例子,说明海蛞蝓在服装设计上的创造力有多强。
So that's a really great example of how creative the costume design component of Nudibranchs really is.
如果你想到宝可梦,皮卡丘就是以海蛞蝓为原型的。
And if you think of Pokemon, the Pikachu is based on a Nudibranch.
真的吗?
Is it really?
确实如此。
It really is.
我们最近发现了一种全新的海蛞蝓,它的颜色图案完全相同,看起来就像皮卡丘。
And there's a brand new species of of Nudibranch that we've discovered that has the exact same color pattern, and it looks just like Pikachu.
所以,海蛞蝓确实启发了宝可梦等动画角色的创作。
So they have inspired some actual creation of animation characters in terms of Pokemon.
这是真的。
This is true.
如果你不相信我,可以去找2019年《极客研究杂志》上那篇题为《宝可梦中的软体动物:PokeMolesca》的文章,里面有很多关于宝可梦角色及其海洋原型的信息和视觉资料。
And if you don't believe me, you can get yourself in front of the 2019 article in the Journal of Geek Studies titled PokeMolesca, the mollusk inspired Pokemon, which has a wealth of information and visual aids with Pokemon characters and their marine inspirations.
如果这听起来有点颠倒,那你也没错。
And if that sounds backwards, you're also right.
至少有一种海蛞蝓以宝可梦命名,比如那种小巧、神秘且黄色的皮卡丘海蛞蝓,在商业场合中被称为卡塞拉太平洋种。
There's at least one Nudibranch named after a Pokemon, such as the tiny, elusive, and yellow Pikachu Nudibranch, which is known in business settings as the Casera Pacifica.
但在海蛞蝓学中,所有线索最终都会指向宝可梦,或者像环形交叉路口一样围绕着它打转。
But in Nudibranchology, all roads lead to Pokemon, or they circle it like a roundabout.
不过我觉得困难的地方在于,我现在很难再为了休闲而潜水了,因为我总是忍不住去找海蛞蝓。
I think the hard part though is it's hard for me to recreationally dive anymore because I have a hard time not looking for nudibranchs.
这已经成为我下意识的本能反应了。
Like, it's just the thing that I'm automatically, like, wired to do now.
必须把它们全部抓到。
Gotta catch them all.
你真得去看看。
You gotta check it out.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
我小时候真的很喜欢宝可梦。
I did love Pokemon as a child.
是的。
Yeah.
它们
They
它们非常非常美丽,颜色鲜艳明亮。
are so so beautiful and so freely and bright colored.
但我相信,那些可能正是最让我们印象深刻的种类。
But I'm sure that those are probably the ones that are sticking in our heads a bit.
但它们的外观是从与环境融为一体到发出强烈警告色的范围都有吗?
But do they range visually from ones that blend into their environment to ones that are maybe give off a lot more warning colors?
是的。
Yeah.
而且这一点非常好,有些海蛞蝓非常擅长构建与环境融合的色彩图案。
And that's a really good point is that some of them are incredibly skilled at building color patterns that blend in.
我的意思是,令人惊讶的是,有些生物生活在海草中,身体呈草绿色,带有条纹,条纹的宽度和间距与海草的叶脉完全一致。
I mean, amazingly, like there's some that are found on seagrass that are grassy green with stripes, exact width and spacing of the veins in the seagrass.
有些生物非常擅长隐藏,而另一些则在自然界中极其张扬地展示自己。
There's some that are very skilled at hiding as well as those that are really just over the top in terms of advertising their presence in the natural world.
你野外工作的一天是什么样子的?
What does a field day look like for you?
比如,当你在野外时,会有一条固定的路线吗?
Like, when you're in the field, do you have a loop?
你们得在退潮时出去吧?你们一定特别擅长那种找不同类的拼图游戏吧?
Do you have to go out at low how do you you must be so good at those puzzles where you have
你必须得能发现细微的差异。
to, like, spot the difference.
你一定非常注重细节。
You must have such a good attention to detail.
是的。
Yeah.
通常来说,我把这比作一场复活节寻彩蛋游戏,因为你正在寻找那些隐藏在灌木丛底部的鲜艳物体,而在海洋中,这些物体可能是水螅体、苔藓虫或分枝状生物。
Well, oftentimes, you know, I equate it to an Easter egg hunt because you're looking for these brightly colored objects that are hidden, you know, at the base of bushes, which are, in the case of the ocean, are hydroids or bryozoans or branching things.
你正在寻找这些微小的、如同活生生的宝石般的事物,它们埋藏在这个广阔的世界里,而当你突然发现它们时,那种揭示出的奇妙感令人惊叹。
And you're looking for these tiny little things that are just living jewels that are buried in this big world and suddenly you see them and it's just magical in terms of what they reveal.
因此,能够发现它们需要大量的训练。
And so being able to spot them takes a lot of training.
当我潜水时,我通常一大早就开始。
And when I go diving, I usually start out early in the morning.
当我需要戴老花镜后,我就必须使用放大镜或某种方式来放大物体。
And once I got to where I needed reading glasses, I needed to have a loop or some way of of magnifying things.
记住,他研究海蛞蝓已经有大约六十年了。
Remember, he's been studying nudibranchs for approximately sixty years.
这可是相当多的海蛞蝓观察经验了。
That's a lot of nudibranch spotting.
如果你现在或将来也需要放大镜,而且想知道为什么你的眼睛这么‘苛刻’,我们的眼科专家雷恩·韦恩斯医生的那期节目可以为你解答,或者我们最近关于眼镜工作原理的光学技术节目也能帮到你。
If you too need a loop either now or down the road and you wanna know why your eyes are so mean to you, our ophthalmology episode with doctor Reen Waynes can explain it, or our recent optical technology episode about how glasses work is there for you.
它们会告诉你它们是怎么跑到你脸上的。
They will tell you how they got on your face.
我现在在水下确实有一些视觉辅助工具,但我认为,40岁以下的人才是发现海蛞蝓的最佳人选。
I do have some visual aids underwater now, but I think the opportunity is for people younger than 40 to be the best spotters of nudibranchs.
但这需要一双训练有素的眼睛,你得知道你在找什么。
But it takes a trained eye and you have to know what you're looking for.
你得了解潜在猎物的样貌,以及它们可能以什么为食,然后在发现那些可能是目标的生物后,仔细地进行搜寻。
You have to know what potential prey might look like and what things they might be eating on and then searching very carefully once you find those things that are likely targets.
它们在外面吃什么呢?
What are they out there eating?
浮游生物?
Plankton?
它们会吃自己的幼崽吗?
Do they ever eat their own babies?
它们可能专门捕食某一种生物,但消化系统里却有很多不同的东西。
They may target one thing, but they have a lot of things in their digestive system.
但它们是肉食性的,所以像海绵、刺胞动物之类的呢?
But they're carnivores, so things like sponges or cnidarians or what else?
苔藓动物,类似的东西。
Bryozoans, things like that.
其他动物,本质上是这样。
Other animals, essentially.
肉食性的。
Carnivores.
这让我很惊讶。
That surprises me.
我以为它们会
I thought they'd
出去吃藻类。
be out there eating algae.
不会。
Nope.
是的
Yeah.
它们在捕食其他动物。
They're eating other animals.
甚至有一个属专门捕食其他海蛞蝓的卵块,或者说是吃其他海蛞蝓的胚胎。
There's even there's a genus that eats egg masses of other nudibranchs or eats, like, basically the embryos of other nudibranchs.
是的
Yeah.
有些海蛞蝓会捕食其他海蛞蝓。
Some nudibranchs eat other nudibranchs.
小食客啊。
A baby muncher.
天哪。
Jeez Louise.
我知道。
I know.
这太残酷了。
It's brutal.
我当时饿了,但还是能吃。
I was hungry, but I could still eat.
从进化的角度来看,它们能追溯到多久以前?
In terms of the evolution of things, how how far back do they go?
我无法想象它们
I can't imagine that they
因为它们太柔软了,很难形成化石。
would fossilize well because they're so squishy.
事实上,这正是我觉得很有趣的一点,因为当我刚开始研究海蛞蝓时,它们几乎没有任何化石记录。
Well and this is really what I find an intriguing point because when I first started studying nudibranchs, they have virtually no fossil record.
所以好处是,你不会被事实束缚,可以自由地构想各种情景并稍作推测。
So the advantage of that is that you aren't encumbered by facts, so you can make up scenarios that you want and speculate a little bit.
但现在我们有了现代工具,随着DNA研究的进步。
But now we have modern tools with the advancement of studying DNA.
你可以看到它们基因材料中巨大的进化差异。
You can see how much evolutionary divergence there is in their genetic material.
这告诉我们,事实上,它们的存在至少可以追溯到2.5亿年前。
And that tells us, in fact, they go back at least 250,000,000 years.
哇。
Wow.
当它们最初失去壳时——大概是在大约2.5亿年前与有壳的近亲分化时。
And when they first lost, probably lost their shells because they diverged from their closest relatives that have a shell about 250,000,000 years ago.
认为海蛞蝓从未演化出壳,这完全是胡说八道。
So it would be absolute flimflam to think that nudibranchs never developed a shell.
它们只是超越了壳,转向了下一步,并拥有了更好的防御机制?
They just were over it, and they were on to the next thing, and they had better defenses?
不。
No.
它们确实有壳。
They do have a shell.
哦,什么?
Oh, what?
在幼虫阶段,所有海蛞蝓都有壳。
As a larval stage, all nudibranchs have a shell.
幼虫有一个微小的卷曲壳,看起来就像一个小蜗牛壳。
The larva has a tiny little coiled shell that looks just like a little snail shell.
它们在浮游生物中生活几周后,会接收到变态的信号,通常是它们成体的食物物种。一旦检测到该信号并且达到一定成熟度,它们就会立即下沉到海底, literally 爬出壳外,变成海蛞蝓。
And once they spend a few weeks in the plankton and they experience the cue for metamorphosis, which is usually their adult food species, Once they detect that and they've reached a certain level of maturity, they immediately drop down to the bottom and literally crawl out of the shell and become a nudibranch.
所以人们说,蛞蝓是很原始的。
So people say, well, slugs are, you know, really primitive.
它们没有壳。
They don't have shell.
事实上,情况恰恰相反。
Well, in fact, it's the opposite.
它们是更高级的进化形式,已经丢弃了壳。
They're a higher form of evolution and have discarded their shell.
所以说到贝壳,海蛞蝓就是越少越好。
So when it comes to shells, nudibranchs are like less is more.
但说到它们背上的羽毛状突起、刺状突起或鳃羽,以及触角状的触角,它们却非常华丽。
But when it comes to their feathery crest or cerata or bronchial plumes on their back or their rhinophore antlers, they are flashy.
就像你那位来自博卡拉顿的姑婆,被邀请参加大都会艺术博物馆慈善晚宴一样。
They're like your great aunt from Boca if she got invited to the Met Gala.
但它们的鳃仍然是新的。
But their gills still are new.
它们仍然暴露在外,毫无保护。
They're still out there and unprotected.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
你能稍微解释一下它们的鳃是如何工作的吗?
Can you explain a little bit how how their gills are working?
它们像其他有鳃的动物一样从水中获取氧气吗?
Are they taking oxygen out of the water like any gilled kind of animal?
为什么鳃在它们的特征中如此突出?
Or why why are gills so prominent in their identity?
这是个非常好的问题。
That's a really good question.
我认为部分原因在于,鳃部常常伴随着许多色彩图案。
And I think part of the reason is that there are a lot of color patterns that are associated with the gills.
而且由于它们没有壳的束缚,活动量更大,新陈代谢也更高,因此需要更多的氧气。
And because they have greater activity, because they are not encumbered by a shell, their metabolism is much higher, and so they need more oxygen.
泰瑞说,这些鳃变得比任何壳所能容纳的都要蓬松得多。
And Terry says that the gills have become way fluffier than what a shell could ever contain.
是的,当然,它们既服务于时尚也服务于功能,但它们的用途不止于此。
And, yes, of course, they serve fashion and function, but that's not all they serve.
我们来谈谈线虫学家吧。
Let's talk nematicists.
不是。
No.
蜗牛。
A snail.
它们有个房子。
They got a house.
它们有个像陶瓷一样的房子。
They have a ceramic feeling house.
它们就像说:再见。
They're like, see you.
我在这儿。
I'm in here.
蛞蝓在外面的海洋里赤身裸体地游荡。
Slugs out there raw dogging it in the ocean.
所以这意味着它们必须有武器或防御机制吗?
So does that mean that they just have to have weaponry or defense?
它们是否会进化出其他方式来警告你:别敢吃我?
Do they tend to evolve other ways to be like, Don't you dare eat me?
是的。
Yeah.
看起来确实如此。
It seems like it.
许多裸鳃类和其他海蛞蝓有时能自己制造防御机制,但它们通常会窃取防御结构。
So a lot of nudibranchs and other sea slugs have they can sometimes make their own defenses, but they often seal defenses.
有些会从刺胞动物如水母或海葵那里窃取刺细胞或刺丝囊。
So some steal the stinging organelles or stinging structures from cnidarians, like jellyfish or anemones.
另一些则会从它们的猎物如海绵中窃取化学防御物质。
Others steal chemical defenses from their prey like sponges.
当你提到这些刺状结构时,它们窃取后是放在哪里的?像一个袋子吗?
And now when you say these stinging type of structures, when they steal them, where do they do they have, like, a purse?
还是说,它们有口袋?
Like, do they have a pocket?
它们只是吸收这些结构吗?
Do they just absorb them?
它们吃掉这些结构,然后这些结构会排出来吗?
Do they eat them and then they come out?
这到底是怎么运作的?
How does that even work?
是的。
Yeah.
我真的很喜欢‘钱包’这个说法。
I really like the purse idea.
海蛞蝓拥有一种特殊的结构,类似于所有其他蜗牛和许多其他软体动物。
So nudibranchs have this special structure similar to all other snails and a lot of other mollusks.
这种结构叫做齿舌。
It's called a radula.
当它们进食时,基本上会刮下猎物身上的组织碎片。
And when they eat, they basically scrape pieces of tissue off of their prey.
就像你坐在那里吃一块切达奶酪,但你没有牙齿,而你的舌头却是个奶酪擦丝器。
Like, if you were sitting down to eat a block of cheddar, but you had no teeth, but your tongue was a cheese grater.
所以在这种情况下,比如它们从海葵身上一点点地撕下食物。
So in this case, it would be, let's say, an anemone where they're just sort of breaking pieces off.
当这种情况发生时,海葵的这些刺细胞就会释放出来。
When that happens, these stinging structures, they fire from the anemone.
因此,它们在消化系统的早期阶段有一层角质层,可以保护自己免受这些刺细胞的伤害,但并不是所有的刺细胞都会释放。
So they have this sort of cuticle lining early on in their digestive system that allows them to protect themselves from that, but not all of them fire.
于是,那些没有释放的刺细胞会向上移动到它们的消化腺中,并且它们拥有这些特殊的囊泡。
And so what happens is the ones that haven't fired move up into their digestive gland, and they have these special sacs.
你可以把它比作一个钱包,或者类似的东西,某种程度上就像一个小型武器库。
You could say a purse or something like that, a little bit of an arsenal, so to speak.
在它们身体的末端,背部有指状的突起。
At the very end of their they have these finger like projections off their backs.
它们被称为锯状突起。
They're called serrata.
在那些触须的末端内部,有着这些特殊的囊状结构。
And inside the very tips of those are these special sacs.
在这些囊中,有细胞会捕获并保存这些结构。
And in those sacs, there's these cells that actually pick up these structures and keep them.
这就是它们如何被储存起来,以备防御之用。
And that's how they're sort of stored until they're used for defense.
它们被储存起来,但不会意外地像鞭炮一样爆炸。
And they're stored, but they don't fire off firecrackers on accident.
那它们是怎么做到的呢?
How do
它们如何确保不会不小心触发呢?
they make sure they don't you know?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
这是个好问题。
It's a good question.
我们认为这可能通过几种方式发生。
There's a couple of ways we think this might happen.
有一些证据表明,至少有一种经过研究的海蛞蝓,它们体表的黏液似乎能以某种方式阻止部分刺细胞发射。
There's some evidence that some nudibranchs, at least one species that has been investigated, the mucus that they have on their bodies seems to somehow prevent some of them from firing.
不是全部,但有一部分。
Not all of them, but some of them.
但我们认为,在它们体内发生的是,这些刺细胞经历了一种尚未完成的成熟过程。
But then what we think is happening inside their bodies is that these stinging structures have some sort of maturation process that hasn't finished.
因此,在这个过程完成之前,它们无法发射。
And so they can't fire until that process is complete.
因此,我们推测,这些刺细胞在未成熟状态下经过消化系统,被吸收后, somehow 能够在海蛞蝓体内完成发育或准备发射。
And so what we think is happening is that they're immature going through the digestive system, they get picked up, and somehow are able to finish, their development or finish getting ready to fire inside of the Nudibranch.
真厉害。
Nuts.
如果你还想了解更多相关事实,可以阅读最近Goodheart实验室发表的一篇论文,标题为《一组保守的吞噬基因可能用于海蛞蝓对多刺水母刺细胞的细胞内窃取》,该研究探讨了不同组织如何保留摄取的细胞器并重新利用以进行防御。
And if you're still hungry for more facts on that, you can feast on a recent Goodheart Lab paper titled, a subset of conserved phagocytic genes are likely used for the intracellular theft of nodarian stinging organelles in nudibranch gastropods, which looks at how different tissues hang on to the consumed organelles to repurpose for defense.
有些物种能从猎物身上获取未成熟的刺细胞,然后将其塞入触手顶端的一个小囊中,就像一支准备发射的毒镖玩具枪。
And some species can grab an immature stinging organelle from their prey, and then they cram it up into a little sack at the tip of their cerata, kinda poised like a poison dart Nerf gun.
而在这种手指状附属物——触手的顶端,有一个小孔,它们可以通过这个小孔释放并触发这些刺细胞的发射。
And then there's a little hole in the tip of that finger like appendage, the cerata, that then they can expel and induce the firing of those nematocysts.
目前我们还不清楚它们究竟是如何实现这一过程的,这也凸显了自然界中的一个普遍现象:仍有大量现象亟待研究和理解。
How they actually do that is really not understood yet at this point, and it points out to one of the things that's so true of most of nature is there are so many things that still need to be studied and understood.
未来一代的年轻科学家们将有大量机会去解开这些我们至今尚未知晓的谜题。
And there's so many opportunities for future generations of young scientists to help solve some of those riddles that we simply don't know about yet.
当它们使用这些带刺的附属物时,是为了麻痹猎物以便食用吗?
When they're using those stinging appendages, are they stunning prey to eat?
是为了电击捕食者吗?
Are they zapping predators?
是为了杀死任何试图吃掉它们的生物吗?
Are they killing anything that's trying to eat them?
那么,这种‘弹药’的射程大概是多少呢?
Like, what kind of range of this ammo are we looking at as as artillery here?
如果有什么东西想啃它一口,就会尝到难吃的滋味,从而学会识别它的颜色图案,以后就不再尝试吃它们了。
You know, if something tries to nibble on it, it gets a bad taste in its mouth, and it it learns to recognize the color pattern and will avoid trying to feed on them in the future.
很多时候,当鱼类或其他视觉捕食者试图捕食海蛞蝓时,它们会把海蛞蝓吐出来,而海蛞蝓则能安然无恙地爬走。
And oftentimes when a fish or another visual predator tries feeding on the nudibranch, it ends up spitting it out and the nudibranch crawls away unharmed.
再见。
Later.
对很多这类鱼来说,这都是一次极其不愉快的经历。
And it's such an unpleasant experience for a lot of these fish.
我在实验室里做过这个实验:当海蛞蝓给鱼制造了这种糟糕体验后,你真的能观察到鱼的状态——它会趴在水底,看起来非常不开心,鳃部剧烈扇动,简直就像如果它能呕吐,一定会吐出来一样,你知道吧?
I've done this experimentally in the lab where after Nudibranch has created this horrible experience for a fish, you can actually see it, what's happening to the fish, it'll sit there on the bottom looking really unhappy and its gills will be flaring, and it will look like it's you know, if it could barf, it would do that, you know?
真坏。
Mean
听起来就像《Hot Ones》那个辣酱挑战节目。
It sounds like Hot Ones, the hot sauce
在竞争中。
in competition.
是的。
Yeah.
这就像尝试各种不同辣度的辣椒一样。
It's like trying to lots of different intensities of chili peppers.
你体内的组织都是石棉做的。
The inside of your body is made out of asbestos.
而在光谱的另一端,有些则以葡萄牙战舰水母之类的东西为食。
And then on the other end of the spectrum, there's some that feed on things like the Portuguese man o war jellyfish.
所以它们的刺细胞和葡萄牙战舰水母完全一样。
And so the nematocysts are exactly the same as the Portuguese man o war.
因此,如果有人看到这些海蛞蝓,它们通常生活在开阔海域,但偶尔会被风刮到岸边。
So they if someone sees one of those nudibranchs, they usually live in the open ocean, but they occasionally get driven ashore by winds.
如果你在海滩上发现这种海蛞蝓并用手去碰,会得到和触碰葡萄牙战舰水母一样的刺痛。
And if you find one of those nudibranchs on the beach and you pick it up, you'll get the same sting as you would if you'd picked up a Portuguese man o wart.
所以在某些情况下,它们的威力确实很强。
So they can really pack a wallop in some cases.
你为了科学实验,有没有把海蛞蝓放进嘴里尝过,或者被它蜇过?
Have you ever, for science, had to put a Nudibranch in your mouth to see what that is like or get stung by one?
我试过。
I I have.
我年轻又不够聪明的时候,曾经把一只海蛞蝓放进嘴里,感觉并不算太糟,但那种辛辣感加上嘴唇麻木,持续了大概十五到二十分钟。
When I was younger and less smart, I tried putting a Nudibranch in my mouth and it wasn't really horrible, but it was that sort of peppery kind of feeling and numb lips for probably about fifteen, twenty minutes.
你绝对能感觉到嘴里有不该放的东西。
You definitely knew that you had something in your mouth that you shouldn't have.
你就像是那条垂头丧气地趴在岩石上的鱼,心里想着:我到底干了什么?
You were like that dejected fish just sitting on a rock going, what have I done?
是的。
Yeah.
我到底干了什么?
What have I done?
这是个好主意吗?
Was this a good idea?
你现在还活着,能讲这个故事了。
You lived to tell the tale now.
是的,我活下来了。
I did.
你需要做什么?
What do you have to do?
我知道我们已经讲过丽贝卡·霍尔,也讨论过水母学和毒素学,还有别尿在上面。
I know we've done Rebecca Holm, we've covered Medusology and Toxinology, And do not pee on it.
你不需要尿在上面。
You don't need to pee on it.
你不需要尿在任何东西上。
You don't need to pee on anything.
对吧?
Right?
显然是热水。
Hot water, apparently.
是的。
Yeah.
在里面加点水。
Some water in that.
这算紧急情况吗?比如叫直升机,把人空运到
Is it an emergency situation like call a helicopter, get air left to
被海蛞蝓蜇了需要送医院吗?
the hospital if you get stung by a nudibranch?
大多数情况下不需要。
Most of them, no.
我的意思是,它们大多数并不危险。
I mean, most of them are not bad.
所以你知道,在触碰池里,去水族馆时,你经常能看到里面的海葵,你摸它们,会觉得有点黏。
So, you know, in touch tanks, when you go to aquaria, often you see anemones in there, and you touch them and they're kinda sticky.
嗯。
Mhmm.
那些是刺细胞。
Those are the nematocysts.
所以在这种情况下,你知道,没什么大不了的。
So in that case, you know, it's not a big deal.
但我认为有少数几种物种会捕食一些更危险的东西。
But I think there are a few species that we know feed on things that are a bit more dangerous.
有时候我碰它们时能感觉到一点,但通常没那么严重。
And there are some times when I touch them and I can feel it a little bit, they're usually not that bad.
但我其实不知道葡萄牙战舰的刺细胞情况。
But I I don't actually know about the Portuguese man o war nematocysts.
我觉得它们挺危险的,但我不知道它们会不会致死。
I feel like they're pretty dangerous, but I don't know that they'll kill you.
我不希望任何人以为可以随便碰它们,因为确实不能碰。
I don't want anyone to think that they should touch them because that's true, though.
接下来介绍一种外形最奇特的海洋生物之一:体长仅一英寸的格劳库斯大西洋种,又称蓝天使、蓝海龙、海燕或龙 Slug。
More coming up on one of the weirdest looking sea creatures, this inch long Glaucus Atlanticus, aka the blue angel, aka the blue sea dragon, aka the sea swallow, aka the dragon slug.
它确实名副其实。
It lives up to the name.
那性二型性呢?
What about sexual dimorphism?
好的。
Okay.
这其实是裸鳃类动物繁殖中另一个非常有趣且略带奇特的方面:它们都是雌雄同体。
Well, this is another really interesting and somewhat kinky part of of nudibranch reproduction is that they're all hermaphrodites.
是的。
Yes.
每个个体都同时具备两性生殖器官。
They have both sexes in the same individual.
你可能会问,那它们为什么要这样呢?
And you might ask, well, why would they do that?
我们发现,这是一种适应性特征,常见于种群数量较少的生物,它们会将更多能量投入到同时产生卵子和精子,以及发育用于相互交换卵子和精子的复杂生殖器官上。
And what we found is that this is an adaptation that you find in a lot of organisms that have relatively low populations that will basically devote more energy into producing both eggs and sperm and the complex reproductive organs they need to exchange eggs and sperm with each other.
所以它们无法自我受精。
So they they can't fertilize themselves.
它们必须与另一个个体交配。
They have to out cross with another individual.
我总是把这个比作:如果你有一个抽屉,里面装满了袜子,而你不太仔细,洗完衣服后没有把袜子配对收好,只是随便扔进抽屉里。
And I always equate this of basically, if you had a drawer full of socks and you weren't really careful and you didn't put all your socks by pairs after you got them out of the laundry and you just put them in the drawer.
但如果所有袜子都是同一颜色,那么随便拿两只就能配成一对。
But if they're all the same color, then any two makes a pair.
同样,如果所有海蛞蝓都拥有两种生殖器官,那么任何两只相遇的个体都可以交配并繁衍后代。
And that's if all the nudibranchs have both reproductive organs, any two that encounter each other can mate and produce offspring.
因此,这是一种适应低种群密度的策略。
And so it's an adaptation for relatively low populations.
让我们为同性婚姻欢呼吧。
Let us celebrate same sex marriage.
真希望我们物种也能这么简单。
I wish it were that easy in our species.
是的。
Yeah.
天哪。
Oh, man.
那受精过程是怎样的呢?
What about how that insemination happens?
我知道陆地蛞蝓的交配过程会呈现出一种非常美丽的景象,比如悬挂在那些器官的触须上。
I know with terrestrial slugs, it can be this really beautiful display of, you know, hanging in these tendrils of organs.
海兔的交配过程是什么样的?
What does it look like in nudibranchs?
我还听说有些海蛞蝓甚至会进行颅骨创伤式受精。
And I understand some sea slugs even will have, like, cranial traumatic insemination.
从浪漫的角度来看,这中间的差异可谓无所不包。
Like, it runs the gamut from in terms of romance.
是的。
Yeah.
这种繁殖是如何发生的?
How is that reproduction happening?
裸鳃类动物并不主要生活在视觉世界中。
So nudibranchs, they don't live very much in a visual world.
它们更多地生活在化学世界里。
They're more living in a chemical world.
它们有眼睛,但这些眼睛通常不能形成图像。
They have eyes, but those eyes usually aren't image forming eyes.
它们只是感知光线的明暗。
They're just detecting light and dark.
因此,为了找到配偶,它们通过化学方式探测同种的其他个体。
And so to find a mate, they're detecting other members of their same species by chemical means.
所以它们会追踪对方,本质上就像是用香水作为吸引物。
And so they're tracking them down and it's basically, you know, having perfume as an attractant.
它在空气中飘散,而你正追寻着这令人陶醉的香气。
It's wafting across the plane and you're following that intoxicating scent.
因此,这就是海蛞蝓彼此相遇的方式。
And so that's how nudibranchs come in contact with each other.
但一旦它们相遇,有些物种实际上是同类相食的。
But then once they encounter each other, some species are actually cannibalistic.
通常,如果两只海蛞蝓相遇且属于同类相食的物种,体型较大的那只会吃掉另一只。
Oftentimes, if two encounter each other and it's a cannibalistic species, if they're of different sizes, the larger one will eat the other one.
是在交配前、交配后,还是根本不会交配?
Before mating or after or not mating at all?
在交配前。
Before mating.
哦,不是的。
Oh, no.
有时是在交配前,但通常来说,进食的驱动力似乎比繁殖的驱动力更强烈。
Sometimes before mating, but usually, the eating driver is seems to be more intense than the reproductive one.
哇。
Wow.
有时候你只是更饿而不是更想交配。
Sometimes you're just more hungry than horny.
大自然知道优先级。
Mother nature knows priorities.
其他情况下,如果它们体型相同,它们会交配,但有时其中一方不会吃掉另一方。
Others, if they are the same size, they will mate, but then sometimes one of them won't eat the other one.
它们得到了需要的东西。
They got what they needed.
是的。
Yeah.
它们得到了需要的东西,而且它们的生殖器官位于身体的右侧。
They got what they needed, and they have their reproductive organs on their right side of the body.
因此,两个个体将会并排靠在一起,让它们的右侧相对。
And so two individuals will pull up next to each other with their two right sides.
这简直就像在快餐店的 Drive-Thru 窗口点餐一样。
It's almost like going to a drive up window at a fast food restaurant.
你知道的,其中一个付钱,另一个则给你提供快乐餐。
And, you know, one of them gives offers money and the other one, you know, gives you your happy meal.
这确实是一顿快乐餐。
And it truly is a happy meal.
我的天啊。
My God.
所以,是的,如果你住在小镇上,很难遇到人,或者你离其他人实在太远了。
So, yeah, if you lived in a small town, it was really hard to meet people or you're just really far away from other folks.
如果每个人都是双性恋,你或许更容易找到爱情。
You might have a better shot at love if everyone's bi.
海蛞蝓懂这个道理。
Nudibranchs get it.
另外,我偷偷看了一眼它们到底有什么。
Also, I did peak a gander at what they're working with.
很明显,这因物种而异,但有时候看起来就像两条蠕虫在接吻。
Obviously, it varies by species, but sometimes it just looks like two worms kissing.
至于它们的屁股,有些物种有环状的羽状鳃,像蓬松的尾巴。
As for their butt, some species have that circle of brachial plumage, like a puffy tail.
它们通过这个部位呼吸,这可以被称为‘屁股花’,因为你直视着它的通道,而肛门正好在中央。
They breathe through, and that can be called a butt flower because you stare down the barrel of it, and that anus is right in the middle.
它们不会把粪便排在自己的背和鳃上吗?
Don't they kind of poop on their own back and gills?
当然会。
Sure.
你猜怎么着?
Guess what?
海洋就像环绕立体声,但又是个坐浴盆。
The ocean is like surround sound, but a bidet.
所以嘛,随便吧。
So whatever.
弗雷迪和埃利、里斯·普里尼、安迪·佩珀,以及阿曼达·拉斯想知道,安迪·佩珀说:我知道它们是雌雄同体的,但不能自我受精。
Freddie and Eli, Reese Purini, and Andy Pepper, as well as Amanda Lask, wanted to know Andy Pepper says, I know they're hermaphroditic but can't fertilize themselves.
既然如此,如果还是需要伴侣,那意义何在呢?
So what's the point if you still need a partner?
那么,在蛞蝓靠近头部的下方,到底发生了什么?
So what is going on down south, which might be near their head with a slug?
你永远不知道那具体会在哪里。
You never know where that's gonna be.
是的。
Yeah.
实际上,它就在它们的头部附近。
It is near their heads, actually.
好吧。
Okay.
所以,是的,海蛞蝓在很大程度上是同时雌雄同体的,这是我们通常的说法。
So, yeah, nudibranchs are, for the most part, simultaneous hermaphrodites is how we would call it.
所以它们同时拥有雄性和雌性的生殖系统。
So they have both male and female reproductive systems at the same time.
有一些证据表明,它们可能会先发育出雄性部分,并先产生精子,这很合理。
There is some evidence that they might develop the male parts first and be able to produce sperm first, which makes sense.
在很多方面,它们的成本都比较低。
They're kind of cheap in a lot of ways.
所以产生它们可能不需要那么长时间。
So it doesn't take as long maybe to generate them.
不过,我认为最有趣的是,尽管它们不能自体受精,但它们会进行我们所说的互交行为。
So I think the most interesting aspect of this though is even though they can't self fertilize, they do what we call reciprocal mating.
所以每次繁殖时,都不是单向的交易。
So every time they're reproducing, it's not just like a one way transaction.
而是双方都能从中获益,以最大程度地确保繁殖成功,我想是这样。
It's like they're both kinda getting something out of it to maximize the chances of everything working, I suppose.
那么,有没有哪种海蛞蝓会进行创伤式受精?
And is it a sea slug that will do traumatic insemination?
是的
Yeah.
对
Yeah.
所以我认为有一些囊舌类会这样做。
So that's a I think there's sacoglossums that do that.
这是一种类似皮下授精的行为,它们只是刺一下然后爬开。
It's like hypodermic insemination where they just sort of stab and and crawl away.
是的
Yeah.
嗯
Mhmm.
但据我所知,没有裸鳃类会这样做。
But as far as I know, there's no nudibranchs that do that.
它们要更温和一些,我想。
They are much more, I guess, kind.
知道这个很好。
It's good to know.
是的。
Yeah.
很好。
It's good.
我本来也会把这归因于它们的。
I I would have pinned that on them too.
很高兴我们能澄清了这个骗局。
So I'm glad that we could clear up that flim flam.
我本来会怪罪它们的。
I would have blamed them for that.
是的。
Yes.
温和。
Kind.
除了约第一次饭局时发现伴侣比预期矮,于是把你吃掉。
Aside from meeting up for a first date and finding your partner shorter than expected, so you eat them.
或者你注意到他们有宝宝,然后像吸珍珠一样把他们吸进肚子里。
Or maybe you noticed that they had babies, and then you slurp them up like boba.
海蛞蝓可能会很 messy(脏乱)。
Nudibranchs can be messy.
说到后代,
Speaking of offspring,
在水族箱里养它们难不难?
are they hard to keep in aquaria?
我在这档节目里能说脏话吗?
Can I curse on this show?
当然可以。
Yeah.
当然,
Of course,
你可以。
you can.
当然。
Of course.
它们他妈的很难养活,研究起来特别难。
They're fucking hard to keep an inquiry.
我们实验室有一种。
Do have one species in the lab.
它叫伯吉亚·斯特凡妮ae。
It's called bergia stefaniae.
我喜欢讲这个故事:这种物种实际上是由我硕士导师安赫尔·瓦尔德兹以他妻子斯蒂芬妮的名字命名的,这真的很暖心。
I love to tell the story that this is actually a species that my master's advisor, Angel Valdez, he named after his wife, Stephanie, which is really nice.
所以我们在实验室里养了这种。
So we have that in the lab.
这 partly 是因为这种生物不仅容易产卵并存活,我们还能让幼虫成功孵化成幼体。
And that's partly because it's actually easy to get it to, like, not just lay eggs and to survive, but also we are able to get the larvae to hatch into juveniles.
老实说,最大的问题就是让它们
That's honestly the biggest problem is getting them
定居下来。
to settle.
是的。
Yeah.
那么,是什么促使幼体海蛞蝓转变为成体呢?
So what is going to nudge a larval nudibranch into its adult form?
如果你知道的话,请告诉杰西卡,让她转告全世界所有沮丧的海蛞蝓研究者,因为这真的不容易,各位,而且对数以万计的物种来说,情况各不相同。
If you know, please tell Jessica so she can tell all the other frustrated nudibranchologists all over the earth because it is not easy, folks, and it's different for, like, all tens of thousands of species.
可能是食物来源的信号,也可能是水流的精确温度和强度。
It might be the food source cues, might be the exact temperature and strength of the currants.
也许是因为它们所摄食的海葵,而那天它们就是不喜欢那一只。
Perhaps it's whatever anemone that they're feeding on, and they just don't like it that day.
所以,是的,照顾成千上万只幼小的海蛞蝓,可不是心软的人能胜任的任务。
So, yeah, being a parent to thousands of fledgling nudies, it's not a task for the weak hearted.
它们是产卵后就不管了,听天由命吗?
Do they lay eggs and then the babies just go, like, good luck?
然后幼体就漂在浮游生物里,带着它们 tiny tiny 的小壳,直到该变大的时候。
And then they kind of are up in the plankton with their tiny, tiny little shells until it's time.
所以它们就是那种一次性的,扔出去就完事了,祝你好运,孩子们?
So are they just, like, kinda one and done, like, good luck out there, kiddos?
差不多是这样的。
It's pretty much Yeah.
孩子,你得自己闯了。
You're on your own, kid.
但有些卵的卵黄非常丰富,营养很多。
But some of them have really yolky eggs that have a lot of nutrient.
通常,产生卵块的个体——我不会说母亲,因为它们是父母亲——那个产卵的个体可能会在附近逗留,但并不会提供太多保护。
Oftentimes the individual that's produced the egg mass, and I won't say mother because they're mother fathers, the individual that laid the egg mass will sort of hang around but doesn't really provide much protection.
而且这些卵常常含有一些能保护成体的有毒化学物质。
And the eggs often have some of the toxic chemicals that protects the adults.
所以这些卵在化学上也有保护,以免被吃掉,因为它们富含蛋黄和营养蛋白,非常诱人。
So the eggs can be chemically protected as well so they aren't eaten because they're really enticing morsels with all that yolky good nutrients and protein.
因此,由于化学保护,它们不太容易被吃掉。
So they're not going to get eaten very readily because they are chemically protected as well.
但通常来说,它们独立发育,孵化后进入幼虫阶段,在浮游生物中生活几天到六个月不等。
But basically they're on their own to most typically hatch into a larval stage that'll spend any time between a few days in the plankton up to six months.
哇,真的吗。
Oh, wow.
哦。
Oh.
有些海蛞蝓在幼体阶段能待那么久,以至于能随着浮游生物漂浮在海面,几乎横跨整个海洋,就像它们自己的彼得·潘之旅。
And some nudibranchs can spend so long in that baby stage that they coast on the surface as plankton long enough to nearly cross an ocean, just Peter Pan in their way across the world.
由于海蛞蝓成体具有很好的保护机制,一旦它们成长为幼体并开始捕食成体猎物,基本上就没什么天敌了。
And because nudibranchs are pretty well protected is once they become juveniles and they start feeding on their adult prey, basically they're immune to predation.
那为什么海蛞蝓没有统治整个世界呢?
So why aren't nudibranchs taking over the entire world?
这是因为大部分捕食发生在浮游幼体阶段,那时它们完全没有保护,而浮游生物中超过百分之九十的个体都会被吃掉。
It's because most of that predation takes place when there are larval stages in the plankton, when they really don't have any protection, and probably ninety percent plus of the individuals that are in the plankton get consumed.
嗯,你知道,你刚才提到
Well, you know, you were
说产卵的亲代,我想你是在说那些蛋黄有多么富含营养。
saying that egg laying parent, and I imagine you're talking about how nutrient dense those yolks are.
所以相比精子,制造这些卵子一定代价高昂。
So that's gotta be expensive to make as opposed to sperm.
是的。
Mhmm.
那么,究竟是如何决定哪一方承担制造卵子的负担,而另一方只是简单地提供精子呢?
So how is it decided which of the two individuals are kind of saddled with the burden of making those eggs versus which are just like, hey.
你的精子我收下了。
Got your sperm.
再见。
I'll see you.
这是零和博弈吗?
Is it win lose?
嗯,交配的双方都会产卵。
Well, both individuals from a mating will produce eggs.
哦,哇。
Oh, wow.
好吧。
Okay.
所以它们会互相交换精子,然后双方都会受精,并且可以储存精子长达数月。
So they exchange sperm with each other, and so then both of them are fertilized, and they can store sperm for several months from that mating.
当卵子成熟并准备通过生殖系统时,储存的精子就会完成受精,这个过程可能要过几个月。
And then when the eggs are mature and ready to pass through the reproductive system, then fertilization of that stored sperm will take place, and it may be a couple of months.
你知道吗,有时候意大利面隔天吃味道更好。
Well, you know, sometimes spaghetti leftovers are better the next day.
是的。
Yeah.
我明白了。
So I get it.
没错。
That's right.
你知道吗,有时候汤放久了更好喝。
You know, sometimes soup gets better.
就像早餐吃披萨一样。
It's like pizza for breakfast.
我有几个听众的问题。
I have a couple questions from listeners.
可以问吗?
Is it okay to ask?
你还有几分钟时间吗?
Do you have a few more minutes?
当然。
Of course.
是的
Yeah.
哦,太棒了。
Oh, amazing.
好的。
Okay.
但首先,让我们为知识的海洋撒下一些资金。
But first, let's scatter some cash into the waters of knowledge.
本周,我们将捐赠给出色的加利福尼亚科学院,这是一家位于加利福尼亚州旧金山的研究机构和自然历史博物馆。
This week, we are gonna be donating to the wonderful California Academy of Sciences, which is a research institute and a natural history museum in San Francisco, California.
它是世界上最大的自然历史博物馆之一。
It's among the largest museums of natural history in the world.
他们收藏了超过四千六百万件标本。
They house over 46,000,000 specimens.
他们还运营着生物多样性科学与可持续发展研究所。
They also operate the Institute for Biodiversity Science and Sustainability.
如果你从未去过,一定要把加州科学院列入你的愿望清单。
And if you have never visited, definitely put Cal Academy on your bucket list.
去一趟旧金山吧。
Get yourself to San Francisco.
里面有一个雨林。
There's a rainforest in there.
还有企鹅。
There's penguins.
还有一个天文馆。
There's a planetarium.
还有一个水族馆。
There's an aquarium.
我曾经在天文馆看过酷玩乐队的激光秀,那天我还戴上了牙套。
I went and saw a Cure laser light show at the planetarium, and the day that I got braces.
我很庆幸里面很暗,同时我的脸也疼得要命。
And I was so glad it was dark in there, and also my face hurt so much.
总之,那里非常美丽。
Anyway, it's beautiful there.
另外,当你在旧金山时,城市各处的社区里还藏着一些秘密的混凝土滑道。
Also, while you're in San Francisco, there are some secret concrete slides hidden in neighborhoods around the city.
你需要爬一段楼梯,然后坐在纸板箱上顺着这些混凝土渠道滑下来,简直疯狂。
And you climb up some stairs, and then you slide down these concrete channels on a cardboard box, and it's nuts.
滑得特别快。
It goes so fast.
先确保你有医疗保险,但你得四处打听它们在哪里。
Make sure you have health insurance first, but you gotta ask around to where they are.
好的。
Okay.
无论如何,这笔捐款用于资助旧金山加州科学院的卓越世界级研究。
Either way, that donation went to fund the excellent world class research at San Francisco's Cal Academy.
感谢本节目的赞助商。
Thanks to the sponsors of the show.
让我们把那短小的角伸进听众来信里,回答一些通过 patreon.com/ologies 提交问题的听众。你也可以只需每月一美元就加入我们。
Let's stick our stumpy little horns into the mailbag and answer some questions from listeners who submitted via patreon.com/ologies, where you too can join for just a scant dollar a month.
有几位听众,比如艾米·汉克斯,想知道它们的小耳朵是做什么用的?
Well, a few people, Amy Hanks and wanted to know asked, what are their little ears for?
它们是像陆地蛞蝓那样的触须吗?
Are they eye stalks, like on terrestrial slugs?
艾米问,它们的鼻孔是如何帮助它们导航的?
Amy said, how do their rhinopores help them navigate?
那些小触须到底是什么?
What are those little stalks?
是的。
Yeah.
这些我们称之为鼻触角。
So those are what we would call rhinophores.
它们上面并没有眼睛。
They do not have eyes on them.
它们的眼睛实际上是位于触角基部附近的小点。
Their eyes are actually tiny little dots near the base of the rhinophores.
非常小,功能并不强。
Very small, not super functional.
所以它们的触角通常是感知世界的主要方式。
So their rhinophores are generally their main way of sensing the world.
它们嘴巴附近通常还有一些其他结构,但触角是它们进行大量化学感知的地方。
They do have some other structures near their mouths often, but the rhinophores are where they do a lot of what we would call chemo sensation.
它们能够探测水中的化学物质。
They're able to detect chemicals in the water.
它们也能探测水中的运动。
They're able to detect also movement in the water.
比如水流之类的东西。
So if there's currents, things like that.
这就是它们寻找食物的主要方式。
And that's their main way of finding food.
所以它们身上有这些化学感受器。
So they have these chemoreceptors on there.
这些信号会传递到我们所说的触角神经节,帮助它们做出决定,比如我想往这边走,因为猎物在那边。
Those signals go down to what we'd call the rhinophore ganglia and help them make decisions about, well, I wanna go this way because my prey is that way.
不过它们的眼睛很小,在底部。
Their eyes are are little at the bottom, though.
是的。
Yeah.
超级小的点。
Super tiny dots.
就是小小的点。
Just little ones.
我
I
知道。
know.
但那些看起来像
But the rhinophores, which look like
兔子耳朵的触角,就像天线一样感知各种分子和运动,这很合理,因为‘rhinophore’的意思就是‘携带鼻子的’。
the bunny ears, are kind of like antenna sensing all kinds of molecules and motions, which makes sense given that rhinophore means nose bearing.
所以那些就是像角一样的兔子耳朵。
So those are the horn like rabbit ears.
而背部像手指一样的边缘结构,用于气体交换和感知感官线索,这些叫做 serrata。
And again, the dorsal finger looking fringe used for gas exchange and picking up sensory cues, those are serrata.
当然,所有这些结构都有助于它们在没有壳的脆弱状态下生存。
All of these structures, of course, help them survive in the vulnerable state without a shell.
但它们也偷来了武器。
But they have also stolen ammunition.
另外提醒一下,你可能会听到一阵铃声。
Also, heads up, you may hear a jingle.
也许是我晃动了铃鼓。
Maybe I'm jostling a tambourine.
或者可能是我狗的项圈,因为她不尊重我的工作。
Or maybe it's my dog's collar because she doesn't respect my work.
阿什利·马尔斯、阿比·格雷夫、詹妮弗·弗罗、汉娜·约翰逊、关键柠檬派、莎拉·莫里康。
Ashley Mars, Abby Grave, Jennifer Froh, Hannah Johnson, Key Lime Pie, Sarah Morricom.
这么多人想知道,用雷娜的话说,它们有毒吗?因为它们看起来像放射性毛毛虫。
So many people wanted to know, in Rayna's words, are they poisonous because they look like radioactive caterpillars?
它们应该被认为是有毒的还是有毒液的?
And would they be considered poisonous or venomous?
也就是说,你得去分析这个词的语义吗?
Like, do you have to sort of, look at the semantics of that?
如果它们不致死,从技术上讲还算毒液吗?
Are they technically venomous if they don't kill anything?
这还算是毒液吗?
Is it still venom?
嗯,有毒的定义不仅仅是它们有毒,还必须具备传递机制。
Well, the definition of venomous is not just that they're poisonous, but they have to have a delivery mechanism.
所以那些具有刺丝囊并能实际释放毒液的,从技术上讲符合有毒的定义。
So the ones that have the nematocysts that can actually fire, they technically meet the definition of being venomous.
但所有这些生物至少都味道不佳,有些如果被人食用,可能会导致严重的健康问题,甚至死亡。
But all of them are at least distasteful, ranging to some that could probably, if a human consumed them, they could actually suffer some serious health consequences and perhaps even die from that.
但你得吃很多才行。
But you would have to eat a lot of them.
是的。
Yeah.
如果你发现了这么多海蛞蝓,它们干脆申请来你的实验室工作吧,它们有这个天赋。
If you find that many nudibranchs, they should just apply for a position in your lab because they have a gift.
对。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
那它们的大脑呢?
What about their brains?
它们在用什么工作?
What are they working with?
凯莉·谢弗,Bug 和 Rug 想知道。
Kelly Shafer, Bug and Rug wanted to know.
Bug 问,它们的大脑到底是什么样子?
Bug asked, what in the heck are their brains like?
还有一些其他人,Graham 和 Ads,也想知道。
And some other folks, Graham and Ads, wanted to know.
凯莉还问,它们能被训练吗?
Kelly also asked, Can they be trained?
它们会学习吗?
Do they learn?
它们到底拥有什么样的大脑?
What kind of brain are they working with?
所以它们确实拥有某种你可以称之为大脑的结构。
So they have something that you might call a brain.
我们称之为脑膜神经节。
It's like a cerebral pleural ganglion, is what we would call it.
这两个神经节可能是融合在一起的。
These two ganglia that may be fused.
然后它们还有位于中间的腹神经节。
And then they have pleural ganglia, which are kind of in the middle.
接着是足神经节,位于足部附近。
Then they have pedal ganglia, which are towards the foot.
然后是嗅角神经节,负责它们的感觉结构。
Then they have rhinophore ganglia, which are for their sensory structures.
所以它们拥有一种我称之为分布式的神经系统,虽然这些神经节有一定的中枢化,但大部分还是有大量的外周神经活动和感觉功能。
So they kind of have what I would consider a kind of distributed nervous system where they do have some centralization in these ganglia, but largely, it's kind of they have a lot of peripheral nervous action going on and sensation.
DJ Brenner问它们是否有意识。
DJ Brenner asked if they have sentience.
Bug和Rug问它们是否有情感。
Bug and Rug asked if they have feelings.
不同的个体表现出不同的行为吗?还是说不同物种就像狗的不同品种?
Do different individuals exhibit different behaviors, or do different species kinda like breeds of dogs?
是的。
Yeah.
它们的神经系统相对简单,能够感知环境中最重要的东西,而这最重要的两件事就是同种个体和食物。
They have a relatively simple nervous system, and they can detect the most important things around their environment, which is the two most important things are individuals of their same species and food.
因此,它们大部分时间脑子里想的基本上就这两件事,可能别的就没什么了。
And so they've pretty much got those two things on their minds most of the time and probably not a whole lot else.
所以一切行为都主要由觅食和繁殖驱动。
And so everything is really driven by feeding and reproduction.
它们能感知光线和黑暗,这一点也很重要。
They detect light and dark, which is important too.
有些物种是夜行性的,白天非常不活跃,光照水平非常关键。
Some of them are nocturnally active and are pretty inactive during the day, the light levels are really important.
我不认为它们像我们那样有情感,这其实也有它的优势。
I wouldn't say they have feelings in the way that we have feelings, which has its advantage.
它们不会背负太多情感包袱,这大概就是为什么海蛞蝓精神病学家没有进化出来的原因。
They don't carry around a lot of emotional baggage, which probably is the reason that Nudibranch psychiatrists haven't evolved.
我现在真羡慕它们。
I envy them right now.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,这是一种简单得多的生活方式。
I mean, it's a lot simpler existence.
如果我们只需要担心下一顿饭在哪吃、和谁交配,生活就会简单得多。
And if all we had to worry about is where we're gonna get our next meal and who we're gonna mate with, it would be a lot more simple.
交配只是为了延续物种。
And a mating is just a way of perpetuating your species.
它们不像那些终生配对的其他物种那样,会形成牢固的伴侣关系。
There's not much attachment in terms of forming bonding pairs like other species that mate for life and and really have that.
这就像一夜情,完事就各自走开。
It's a sort of one night stand and away they go.
事实上,安娜·沃尔夫·希和艾比·格雷布确实考虑过这些问题。
Well, that was actually on the minds of Anna Wolf Shea and Abby Graeb.
安娜·沃尔夫问它们有什么求偶仪式,谢伊则问是什么让一只裸鳃类在众多追求者中脱颖而出。
Anna Wolf asked what courtship rituals do they have, and Shay asked what makes one Nudibranch stand out in a sea of suitors.
艾比还想知道它们是否会像蜗牛一样发射爱之飞镖。
And Abby wanted to know if they shoot love darts like snails do.
它们没有爱之飞镖,但它们的生殖系统中确实有复杂的刺状结构。
They don't have love darts, but they do have elaborate spines and stuff in their reproductive system.
这些刺通常与腺体相关,可能产生某些分泌物。
And oftentimes those spines are associated with a gland that probably produces some secretions.
但我们对它们的求偶和交配行为了解还不够,不过我们确实观察到它们常常会轻咬对方、互相缠绕爬行。
But we don't know enough about the courtship and mating, and we do see that oftentimes they will nibble at each other and crawl around each other.
因此,在交配真正发生之前,它们之间会有一些求偶和识别的过程。
And so there is some sort of courtship and recognition process that goes on before mating actually ensues.
所以,是的,我猜它们也喜欢一点艺术性。
So, yeah, they enjoy a little artistry, I imagine, as well.
这真是件美好的事。
Like, that's a beautiful thing.
我们有一些关于特定物种的问题。
We had some questions about specific species.
好的。
Okay.
Pear想知道,为什么大西洋光鳃海兔的形状如此不同?
Pear wanted to know why is Glaukis atlanticus so different in shape?
它为什么会长出毒囊?
Why did it get these poison sacs?
然后是基兰·H。
And then Kieran H.
他说,为什么蓝色的光鳃海兔和大多数海蛞蝓的形状差别这么大?
Said, why is the blue Glaukis so different in shape compared to most Nudis?
她只是不像其他女孩吗?
Is she just not like the other girls?
我不太熟悉海麒麟,但请你详细说说。
So the I'm not familiar with the glaucus, but elaborate.
好的。
Okay.
它们美极了,呈银白色,闪着明亮的蓝色光泽。
They're gorgeous, sort of silvery and bright shiny blue.
它们之所以有这种形状,是因为它们生活在开阔的海洋中。
And the reason they have that shape is that they're found in the open ocean.
我的意思是,就在开阔水域的表面。
I mean, literally on the surface of open waters.
由于它们以葡萄牙战舰水母等生物为食,这种不寻常的形状有助于它们在海面上保持浮力。
And because they feed on things like the Portuguese meno war, a lot of that unusual shape is to help them maintain flotation on the surface of the ocean.
它们会吞下气泡来获得浮力,然后展开位于锯状结构中的刺细胞,并张开锯状结构以帮助维持浮力。
They'll swallow an air bubble to give them buoyancy, and then they spread out their nematocysts that are in the serrata and spread out their serrata to help maintain that flotation.
所以它们之所以有如此奇特的形状,是因为它们生活在与大多数栖息在潮池底部和浅水区的物种完全不同的环境中。
So that's why they have such an unusual shape is because they live in a such a really completely different habitat to most of the species that live on the bottom of tide pools and in shallow waters.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。