本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
哦,嗨。
Oh, hey.
他是那个经营本地桌游之夜的人,总希望有人能来披萨店一起玩游戏,艾利·沃德。
It's the guy who runs the local board game night hoping someone shows up at the pizza place to game, Ali Ward.
天哪,胡蒂,我早就想报道这个故事了。
Boy, Hootie, I've wanted to cover this one forever.
关键是要找到合适的‘猫头鹰’人物,而我们终于找到了。
And it was all a matter of finding the right Owl person, and we did it.
我们把他找到了。
We got him.
关于这位嘉宾,我有太多话要说,干脆列个要点吧。
I have so much to say about this guest that I'm gonna list it in bullet points.
好的。
Okay.
他们是在加州大学伯克利分校获得博士学位的。
So they got their PhD at the University of California Berkeley.
他们研究猫头鹰已经超过四十年了。
They have studied owls for over four decades.
他们的论文被引用了近一万四千次。
Their papers have been cited nearly 14,000 times.
我注意到,在他们的论文中,他们感谢妻子凯蒂,而且看起来他们真的深爱着彼此。
I noticed that in their papers, they thank their wife, Katie, and they seem genuinely in love.
他们得到了多位其他鸟类学家的强烈推荐,包括火生态学那一期的加文·琼斯博士。
They came highly recommended by several other ologists, including doctor Gavin Jones of the fire ecology episode.
我不得不恳求这位猫头鹰嘉宾参加这一期节目,因为他们一直怀疑自己是否适合。
I had to beg this Owl guest to be on this episode because they kept asking if they were right for it.
我是在开车穿越沙漠时打了个电话,然后把车停在一处尘土飞扬的路边,和他们聊了大约三十分钟,告诉他们我早就对他们的工作着迷了。
I did this by taking a phone call as I was driving through the desert, and I pulled over at a dusty turnout to chat with them for, like, thirty minutes about why I was already obsessed with them and their work.
在录制之前,这位嘉宾给我发了一些照片和猫头鹰视频,但邮件里没有任何附件。
Before we recorded, this guest sent me some pictures and owl videos, but there was nothing attached to the email.
然后五分钟后我又收到了一封邮件,主题是:‘哎呀。’
And then I got another one five minutes later with the subject line, oops.
邮件里只说:我被窗外的小动物吸引住了,所以忘了附上文件。
And the email just said, I got distracted by critters outside my window, so I forgot to attach the files.
当我们终于上线聊天时,他们穿着一件印有猫头鹰图案的毛衣。
When we finally did log on to chat, they were wearing a sweater with owls on it.
糟了。
Uh-oh.
我超爱他们,你也会喜欢的。
I love them, and you will too.
这期节目融合了梅林·塔特尔那样的蝙蝠野外研究故事和激情,同时带着布里奥logy苔藓嘉宾罗宾·沃尔·金默勒博士那种舒缓平和的氛围。
It's all the fieldwork stories and passion of a Merlin Tuttle bat guy with the soothing mellow vibe of the Briology moss guest, doctor Robin Wall Kimmerer.
这一期,绝对是经典之作。
This one, it's an instant classic.
我们马上就会说到,但首先,衷心感谢所有赞助人提交的问题。
We will get to that in just a sec, but first, thank you so much to all the patrons who sent in their questions.
你也可以通过Patreon以每月一美元的价格支持本节目。
You too can support the show on Patreon for a mere dollar a month.
感谢所有在 ologiesmerch.com 购买 Ologies 周边产品的朋友们。
Thank you to everyone out there wearing Ologies merch from ologiesmerch.com.
另外,如果你需要更短、适合孩子且适合课堂播放的集数,我们专门有一个名为 Smologies(s m o l o g I e s)的播客频道供你收听。
Also, if you need shorter kid friendly episodes that are classroom safe, we have them in their own feed for you called Smologies, s m o l o g I e s.
你可以在任何播客平台订阅 Smologies 来免费收听。
You can get them for free by subscribing to Smologies where we get podcasts.
也要感谢所有为我们留下评论的人,你们的评论对这个节目帮助巨大。
Also, thanks to everyone who leaves a review for us, which helped the show so much.
我每一条都读了。
I read them all.
这周,Unfolded Shoe 写了一条评论,说:‘前两天晚上,我做了一个梦。’
And this week, unfolded shoe wrote one that said, the other night, I had a dream.
梦里,我坐在礼堂里,由 Ali Ward 教授和助理教授 Jack Black 给我授课。
A dream in which I was in a lecture hall being taught by a professor Ali Ward and assistant professor Jack Black.
我不知道你们两位是否真的会一起在高等教育领域任教,但毫无疑问,这是我最喜欢的播客。
I don't know if you two will ever teach higher education together, but needless to say, this is my favorite podcast.
Unfolded Shoe,我不确定会不会发生,但我对此持开放态度。
Unfolded Shoe, I don't know if that will happen, but I am open to it.
另外,我们即将举办有史以来的第一场现场演出。
Also, we're doing our first ever live show.
不是杰克·布莱克。
Not Jack Black.
他不会到场,但我会上台。
He won't be there, but I will.
演出定于11月17日星期一在布鲁克林的贝尔之家举行,但票已经售罄了。
It's on Monday, November 17 at the Bell House in Brooklyn, but we are sold out.
但这是个好消息,因为这意味着很快可能会有更大规模的巡演。
But that's good news because it means that there might be a bigger tour coming soon.
所以我们将于17日进行首次试演。
So we're gonna pilot it on the seventeenth.
我们会看看效果如何。
We're gonna see how it goes.
好的。
Okay.
那我们来聊聊鸮形目吧。
So let's get into Strigiform.
直截了当地说,‘Strigiform’这个词源自拉丁语中的猫头鹰,而拉丁语又来自希腊语中的猫头鹰。
Straight up, it comes from the Latin for owl, which comes from the Greek for owl.
裹上毯子,暖和一下吧。
So cozy up in a blankie.
坐在门廊上,趁着黄昏时分,了解一些猫头鹰育儿的知识:为什么它们头上长着尖尖的羽毛,关于它们眼睛的那些事实,简直让我再也想不了别的事。
Sit on the porch in the dusk to catch some owl parenting facts, why they have pokey things on their heads, facts about eyes that left me unable to think about anything else.
猫头鹰的叫声、栖息、筑巢、停栖;为什么它们夜晚如此安静?如果你家院子里装了个猫头鹰箱会怎样?最近新闻里一起高调的猫头鹰事件;研究人员如何观测和追踪它们;如何在需要的地方增加它们的数量;以及当猫头鹰太多时会发生什么。
Owl hoots, roosts, nests, perches, why so silent in the night if you should get an owl box in your yard, a high profile case in the news involving owls, how researchers study and check up on them, how to boost their numbers where they need it, and what happens when there are too many owls.
另外,一次散步如何改变你的人生——这是与明尼苏达大学教授、戈登·盖林恩讲席荣休教授、猫头鹰专家、也是最可爱的鸟类学家之一的R博士的两部分访谈的第一部分。
Also, how one walk can change your life with this part one of a two part episode with researcher, professor, and Gordon Gullion endowed chair emeritus at the University of Minnesota, owl experts, and one of the loveliest ologists, strigiformologist, doctor R.
J。
J.
古铁雷斯。
Gutirez.
我的真名是拉尔夫·约瑟夫·古铁雷斯,但大家都叫我洛基。
My real name is Ralph Joseph Gutirez, but everybody calls me Rocky.
从我还没出生起,我就被叫洛基了,据说如此。
I've been called Rocky since before I was born, apparently.
是谁决定的?
Who decided that?
其实是我妈妈。
My mother, actually.
我妈妈说,她怀孕时,如果生女孩就叫雷赫妮亚,如果是男孩就叫拉尔夫,昵称洛基。
My mother said that when she was pregnant with me that if it was a girl, she would name her Rejenia, and it was a boy, she'd name him Ralph and call him Rocky.
那是一次‘洛基式’的怀孕吗?
Was it a Rocky pregnancy?
哦,我不记得了。
Oh, I don't know.
她很早就做出了这个决定。
She made that decision way beforehand.
至少这是家族的说法,或者说是传说。
At least that's the family theory anyway, or legend.
我应该说这是传说。
I should say legend.
这挺适合你的。
Well, it suits you.
我一想到你穿梭在森林的崎岖地形中,观察大自然,就觉得特别贴切。
Feel like I think about you scrambling up rocky surfaces in the woods, looking at nature.
所以还挺合适的,对吧?
So it kind of works, right?
对。
Right.
是的。
Yeah.
我也很喜欢这件毛衣。
I love this sweater too.
这件毛衣是你找到的,还是别人专门为你做的?
Was this a sweater that you found or was this something that was made for you?
不,这是我妻子织的。
No, my wife made this sweater.
她亲手织的。
Knitted it.
这是她织的第一件毛衣。
Was the first one she made.
她之前已经给我织过好几件毛衣了,但这件是她设计的,上面织了花斑猫头鹰,因为那是我主要研究的猫头鹰种类。
She's made a bunch of sweaters for me beforehand, but she designed this and then knitted these spotted owls because that's the primary owl I work on.
我非常喜欢它。
Now, I liked it so much.
从那以后,她每年都会给我织一件新毛衣,上面是某种我研究过的猫头鹰,或者我们曾在世界某个地方一起见过的其他鸟类。
Ever since then, she's made a new sweater for me every year of some species of owl I've worked with or some other species that we've both seen someplace in the world.
她非常了不起,因为她是用一张方格纸设计整个图案,然后花上大半年时间来编织。
And she's pretty amazing because she designs the whole thing on a piece of graph paper and then spends a good part of the year knitting it.
这些实际上是艺术品。
They're actually works of art.
KT听起来太棒了。
KT sounds amazing.
如果她还没结婚的话,我会向她求婚。
If she weren't already married, I would ask her to marry me.
她听起来简直完美。
She sounds like the best.
是的。
Yeah.
现在这只斑点猫头鹰,是你主要研究的物种。
And now the spotted owl, this is your primary study species.
没错。
That's correct.
能稍微回溯一下吗?当初是什么时候开始吸引你注意猫头鹰的?
Take me back a little bit to when owls started to sort of capture your attention.
这要追溯到多久以前?
How far back does it go?
你以前是个观鸟者吗?还是你一开始只是在外面观察其他东西,然后一只猫头鹰从你头顶飞过?
Were you a birder, or did you start looking at other things outside and then an owl flew over your head?
后来发生了什么?
What happened?
很高兴你问了这个问题。
Well, I'm glad you asked that question.
我正希望你会问,因为这个故事我从未对任何人讲过。
I was hoping that you would because this is a story I've never told anyone.
我从未向任何人分享过,包括我妻子。
I never shared this with anyone, including my wife.
有一次,我大概八到十岁的时候,和两个表兄弟一起去钓鱼。
And one time I went fishing with two of my cousins when I was about It must have been somewhere between eight and ten years old.
我们去了新墨西哥州陶斯附近的里奥格兰德河。
And we went to the Rio Grande River adjacent to Taos, New Mexico.
所以这里靠近深达800英尺的里奥格兰德峡谷。
So this is near the 800 feet deep Rio Grande Gorge.
想象一下陡峭崎岖的岩石、鼠尾草灌木,以及被群山环绕的干旱的美国西南平原。
Think of steep, craggy rocks and sagebrush and the arid American Southwest Plain rimmed by mountains.
在西边,有一个巨大的黑色深渊贯穿这片平原。
And on the west is this huge black chasm going through this plain.
我们称之为里奥格兰德峡谷。
And that's what we call the Rio Grande Box.
于是我们开车到了峡谷,然后徒步下去。
So we drove to the box and then we hiked down into it.
我们到达那里时已经是傍晚时分。
And we got down there about evening time.
我的两个表兄弟说:‘你在这儿等着。'
My two cousins says, Well, you wait here.
我们要去找个露营地点。
We're going to go find a campsite.
我当时只是个小孩子。
And I'm just a little kid.
你分得清一件事和另一件事吗?
Don't you know, one thing from the other.
我坐在那里,天越来越黑,越来越黑,越来越黑。
I'm sitting there and it got darker and darker and darker.
我变得越来越害怕,浑身发抖。
And I'm starting to get more and more afraid and scared and I'm shaking.
突然间天就黑了,但并不是满月。
And all of a sudden it was dark then by then, but not a full moon.
那是个相当黑暗的夜晚,不是完全漆黑,但确实非常暗。
So it was it was a quite a dark night, not a pitch black night, but definitely really dark.
我抬头一看,看见了一只大角鸮。
And I looked up and I saw a great horned owl.
我能看到它的耳朵和轮廓,但看不清具体的细节。
I could see the ears and the outline of the I couldn't make out the definition.
我想,哇,这真有意思。
I went, wow, that was really interesting.
然后它的伴侣飞了过来,坐在它旁边。
And then it's mate flew in and sat next to it.
于是我想,原来我真能看清这些东西,而且天这么黑。
So then I started thinking, well, I can actually see these things and it's dark.
那时我还不知道,我的夜间视力非常好。
And at that time, I didn't realize I had a very high nighttime visual acuity.
于是我沿着河岸走,最终找到了他们,正围着篝火走动。
And so I just then followed the riverbank and finally found them, jaunting it up around the campfire.
我不知道他们在想什么。
And I don't know what they were thinking.
他们打算就把我一个人留在这里过夜。
They were just going to leave me there all night.
所以多年后,我在军队里,17岁,正在接受战斗训练。
So years later, I was in the army, 17 years old, going through combat training.
他们把我派到丛林深处值勤。
And they put me on guard duty out in the middle of the bush.
我独自坐在那里,随着夜色越来越深,我越来越害怕。
I'm sitting there by myself and I'm getting more and more spooked because it's darker and darker and darker.
他们经常会捉弄你。
And they would play tricks on you.
他们会悄悄靠近,如果被他们抓到,你就得扣分,或者被大声训斥。
They'd sneak up and if they caught you, then you get demerits or whatever, they yell at you.
于是我变得非常紧张。
And so I was getting all freaked out.
然后我突然想到:等等,我之前能看见那些猫头鹰,也能看见它们沿着小溪行走。
And then I started thinking, So wait a second, I could see those owls and I could see walking along the creek.
我说:没人能悄悄靠近我。
I said, there's no one going to sneak up on me.
我说,我的夜视能力比任何人都强。
I said, I can see better than anybody.
就在那时,我突然意识到自己夜间视力的天赋与猫头鹰之间的联系,这也让我对猫头鹰产生了深深的向往。
And then that's when I made this big connection with the ability to see at night and the owls and what made me really gravitate towards owls.
从此以后,只要一有机会,我就会在大学里花时间寻找猫头鹰。
So thereafter, whenever I had a chance, I would spend time looking for owls in college.
我甚至找到过一只大雕鸮的巢穴。
I even would find, say, great horned owl nest.
然后我会在课后傍晚时分,远远地坐在那里观察它们。
And then I'd go in the evening after classes and just sit there and watch them at a distance.
我从不打扰它们。
I didn't bother them.
后来,我获得了东海岸一所常春藤盟校的首个教职,当时有一篇论文发表在期刊上,探讨了斑点鸮与原始森林之间的关系。
Eventually I had my first faculty position at a Ivy League school back east, a paper came out in a journal about the relationship between spotted owls and old growth forests.
这篇发表于1970年代末的论文《俄勒冈州年轻林与原始林中斑点鸮的数量对比》,刊登在《野生动物学会公报》上,作者包括罗基未来的同事。
And this late 1970s paper, Spotted Owl Abundance in Young versus Old Growth Forests, Oregon, was published in the Wildlife Society bulletin, and it was coauthored by Rocky's future colleagues.
文章开头指出,初步研究表明,俄勒冈州及其他地区成熟森林的采伐可能导致斑点猫头鹰数量减少。
And it begins by addressing that preliminary studies indicate that harvest of mature forests in Oregon and elsewhere may be causing the spotted owl to decline in numbers.
因此,文章提到人们对这种猫头鹰的栖息地需求表现出极大兴趣。
And as a result, it says there is considerable interest in the habitat requirements of this owl.
斑点猫头鹰是否能在由集约林业管理形成的同龄次生林中生存,尤其值得关注。
Whether spotted owls can exist in even aged second growth forests created by intensive timber management is of particular interest.
稍后我们会进一步讨论斑点猫头鹰的生存状况。
So more on how the spotted owls are doing in a bit.
但罗基在读完这篇论文后,向西前往洪堡州立大学的森林地区,去任教并开始与一些研究生开展更多研究。
But Rocky headed west after reading this paper to the forests of Humboldt State University to teach and to start up more research with some grad students.
我的第一位研究生想研究斑点猫头鹰。
And my very first graduate student wanted to study spotted owls.
他的名字叫大卫·索利斯。
And his name was David Solis.
大卫是一名越南退伍军人。
And David was a Vietnam vet.
实际上,我早期的许多学生和助手都是退伍军人。
Actually, many of my early students and assistants were vets.
由于显而易见的原因,我特别偏爱越南退伍军人。
And I was very partial to Vietnam vets for obvious reasons.
所以当时我想,对大卫说,这只斑点猫头鹰可能是个大问题。
So I thought at the time, said, David, I said, this spotted owl could be a really big deal.
那是1979年。
We're talking 1979
天哪。
Oh my god.
那时候这根本不算什么大事。
When it wasn't a big deal.
因为现在四十五年过去了,斑点猫头鹰的生态学已经成为一个非常重要的课题,研究开始显示美国西北太平洋地区斑点猫头鹰数量急剧下降。
Because now forty five years later, the spotted owl ecology is a very big deal, and research began to show this steep decline of spotted owls in the Pacific Northwestern United States.
因此,为了保护原始森林和维持生态平衡,出台了新的伐木限制措施。
And as a result, these new restrictions on logging were imposed to save the old growth forests and maintain the ecology.
伐木工并不喜欢这一点,据说他们还在锯木厂挂上了死猫头鹰的稻草人。
Loggers did not enjoy this, and, apparently, they hung effigies of dead spotted owls in sawmills.
他们在卡车上贴了贴纸,上面写着:我喜欢油炸的斑点猫头鹰,杀死一只斑点猫头鹰,拯救一名伐木工。
They slapped bumper stickers on their trucks that read, I like spotted owls, fried, and kill a spotted owl, save a logger.
斑点猫头鹰保护问题充满戏剧性,几十年来一直如此。
The issue of the spotted owl conservation is drama, and it has been for decades.
根据我读到的内容,这件事政治色彩非常浓厚。
And from what I've been reading, it's really politically charged.
我们接下来会更深入地探讨目前野外还剩多少只这种猫头鹰、它们的生存状况,以及生态学家认为我们该如何应对。
We're gonna get more into the standing of how many of these owls are left in the wild, what the status is, and what ecologists think we should do about it.
同样,这事儿充满戏剧性。
Again, lots of drama.
但简而言之,这事儿是
But the short of it is, it's a
一个大问题。
big deal.
当你查看这么多关于斑点猫头鹰论文的作者时,你会看到R.
And when you look at the authors on so many Spotted Owl papers, you'll see R.
J.
J.
古铁雷斯。
Gutirez.
多年来,他大约75%的研究生都研究过猫头鹰。
About 75% of his grad students of the years have worked on Owls.
但从我们第一次在电话里交谈时——我当时正把车停在路边,请他参与节目——他就一直非常谦逊、友善,并将功劳归于他人。
But from our first conversation on the phone as I was parked on the side of the road asking him to be on, he has always been really humble and gracious and credits others for their work.
我非常幸运,拥有一群出色的学生,他们为斑点猫头鹰的科学研究和保护做出了巨大贡献。
I've just been blessed by having just a wonderful group of students who have contributed so much to to science and conservation of the spotted owl.
我知道这让你不舒服,但认识你的人经常称赞你是‘猫头鹰先生’,你的名字甚至出现在许多关于猫头鹰的书籍里。
And people I know this makes you uncomfortable, but people sing your praises as the owl guy so much where you're named in books about owls.
人们谈论你,把‘猫头鹰先生’洛克·古铁雷斯当成传奇,以至于我像追猎物一样追着你,就希望你能参加这期节目。
People talk about you, the legend of Rocky Gutierrez of, like, the owl guy to the point where I was chasing you down like like you were prey, hoping you would be on this episode.
我太兴奋了。
I'm so excited.
当然,他并不轻易接受这些赞誉。
And, of course, the praise is not something that he accepts easily.
即使你有远见,也很难像别人那样看待自己。
It can be hard to see yourself as others do, even if you have great vision.
你的眼睛是不是比别人更大?
Do your pupils just get bigger than other people's?
你本身是个夜猫子吗?还是一直就是个晚上型的人?
Were or were you a night owl yourself, or have you always been like a an evening person?
实际上,我是个早起的人,这有点出人意料。
Actually, I'm a morning person, which is sort of surprising.
我通常九点或九点半睡觉,五点起床去游泳。
Usually, I go to sleep at nine or 09:30 and get up at five and go swimming.
但当我研究猫头鹰时,当然就得调整了。
But when I work on owls, of course, you just adjust.
我想这也是我的一个特点:适应能力。
I suppose that is one of my characteristics is adaptability.
所以无论什么情况需要,我都会去适应。
So whatever the situation calls for, I adapt to it.
我认为这一点是我从小工作和在军队服役时学到的——你必须适应,必须应对突发情况。
And I think that's something I learned both from working as a kid and also being in the military, in the army, is that you have to adapt and you have to respond to situations as they arise.
因为我绝对不是夜猫子。
Because I'm definitely not a night person.
我更喜欢早睡。
I prefer to go to sleep early.
当你把猫头鹰作为研究对象时,有没有那么一刻,你真正意识到——我这么说吧——猫头鹰可能比其他所有鸟类都更出色?
When it came to owls being a study species of yours, was there a moment when you you really realized, like, owls are and I'll couch this, but owls might be better than all the other birds.
是的,我说了。
Yeah, I said it.
你对它们特别有好感吗?
Do you have a soft spot for them particularly?
你最喜欢它们的哪些方面?
What is it about them that you love?
事实上,我的博士论文研究的是山鹌鹑。
Well, actually my doctoral dissertation was on quail, mountain quail.
从来没有人做过关于山鹌鹑的博士论文。
No one had ever done a doctoral dissertation on mountain quail.
当我告诉我在伯克利的主要导师斯塔克·莱奥波德,我要研究山鹌鹑时,他从椅子上往后一推,打开抽屉,拿出一根绳子,说:‘喏,这是绳子。’
And when I told my major professor, Starker Leopold at Berkeley, that I was going to work on mountain quail, pushed his chair back from his desk and he opened the drawer and he pulled out a little string and he said, here, here's a rope.
去上吊吧。
Go hang yourself.
他说:‘从来没人能研究得了山鹌鹑。’
Said, Nobody's ever been able to work on mountain quail.
他说:‘别白费劲了。’
He said, Forget about it.
我说:‘你别想告诉我什么事不能做。’
And I said, You don't say you can't do something to me.
这就像在公牛面前挥舞红布一样。
That's just like raving a red flag in front of a bull.
于是我把它当作一个挑战,并成功完成了世界上第一个关于山鹌鹑的博士论文。
And so I took on as a challenge and I did complete the first PhD on mountain quail.
同样地,猫头鹰也很有挑战性,因为它们是夜行性的,而且常常很难找到。
And likewise, with owls, they are a challenge to work on because they're nocturnal and they're often difficult to find.
但对于斑点猫头鹰来说,幸运的是,有很多人已经研究过它们。
But with a spotted owl, fortunately, we have many people who have worked on them.
我的一位来自俄勒冈州的好同事埃里克·福斯曼,是第一个深入研究斑点猫头鹰的人,他掌握了大量关于它们的知识,为后来者奠定了研究基础。
Eric Forsman, a good colleague of mine from Oregon, he was the first one that really studied spotted owls and learned a great deal about them that set the sort of the foundation for the rest of us to work on these birds.
因此,在这方面我算不上什么传奇,因为还有很多其他研究斑点猫头鹰的人,他们对这种鸟的了解可能比我多得多。
So I'm not really a legend in that respect because there's many other people that worked on spotted owls that probably know a lot more about spotted owls than I do.
但不管怎样,我在研究物种时发现,我特别喜欢挑战,喜欢那些要求高、难度大的任务,尤其是当栖息地环境恶劣的时候。
But regardless, that's one of the things that I find in working with species is I really enjoy challenges and something that is demanding and hard, and especially if the habitat is rough.
山鹌鹑和斑点猫头鹰通常都生活在陡峭的山区,你知道,要找到它们,你必须有非常好的体能。
And mountain quail and bottered owls both are in usually in steep mountains and, you know, you gotta be in really good physical condition to go find them and so forth.
所以这正是我非常享受的事情。
So this is something I really enjoy.
这些物种的挑战,包括鸡形目和猫头鹰。
It's the challenge of these species, the galliforms as well as as the owls.
提醒一下。
Just a heads up.
鸡形目就像鸡、火鸡、鹌鹑这类在地上笨拙行走的鸟类,也叫陆禽。
A galliform is like a chicken, a turkey, a quail, the kinda awkward loping around the ground birds, the landfowl.
‘鸡形目’这个词源自拉丁语中的‘公鸡’,我们有一期关于鸡的两部分专题节目,会在节目笔记中提供链接。
Galliform comes from the Latin for rooster, and we do have a two part episode on chickens that we will link in the show notes.
不客气。
You're welcome.
此外,洛克的长期同事埃里克·福斯曼博士也是一位杰出的鸮形目专家,我们稍后会提到他和啮齿动物。
Also, Rocky's longtime colleague, doctor Eric Forsman, is also an accomplished strigiformeologist, and we'll touch on him and rodents in a bit.
说到鸮形目,对吧?
And when it comes to strigiformes right?
鸮形目。
Strigiformes.
鸮形目?
Strigiformes?
是什么让一种鸟成为鸮形目动物?
What makes a strigiforme a Strigiforme?
是什么让一只猫头鹰成为猫头鹰?
What makes an owl an owl?
一种思考方式是把猫头鹰看作一种幻觉。
Well, one way to think about this is think about the owl as an illusion.
如果我们揭开这种幻觉的层层表象,就能理解猫头鹰的真实面貌。
So if we peel back layers of this illusion, we get an idea of what the owl is like.
让我们来看看它们的整体外形。
So let's look at their overall appearance.
当你看一只猫头鹰时,它们有着又大又圆的脑袋。
So when you look at an owl, they have a big round head.
然后它们有大大的眼睛。
And then they have big eyes.
因此,这至少在北美和欧洲吸引了人们对猫头鹰的注意。
And so that sort of attracts people to owls, at least in North America and Europe.
所以并不是每个文化都像我一样,对猫头鹰如此着迷。
So not every culture is like me, a simp for owls.
有些人在世界不同地区反而对鸮形目动物感到恐惧。
Some folks, especially in different parts of the world, are Strigiforme phobes.
关于这一点,我们将在第二部分详细讨论。
So more on that in part two.
所以你看到的是一个大大的头部和圆圆的眼睛,但实际上它们的头骨呈三角形。
And so you have this big head with big round eyes, but in fact, their skull is like a triangle.
如果你把手指合起来形成一个三角形,那就是它们头骨的真实形状。
So if you put your fingers together and make a triangle, that's what their skull actually looks like.
哦
Oh,
好的。
okay.
假设你的拇指碰在一起。
So let's say your thumbs are touching.
对吧?
Right?
你这就形成了一个三角形。
You've got a triangle.
短边,也就是你的拇指,代表眼睛,而你的食指则代表喙。
The short side, your thumbs, are the eyes, and then your pointer fingers would be the beak.
所以猫头鹰不是斗牛犬。
So owls are not pug dogs.
它们更像是长着狗鼻子、裹在一堆绒毛里的金毛寻回犬。
They are like goldendoodles with a dog snout under a bunch of fluff.
所以它们头部看起来是圆形的,其实是一种错觉。
And so it's an illusion that their heads are actually round.
它们的整个喙以及所有部分,就是一个大三角形。
Their whole beak and everything, it's just this big triangle.
你所看到的是眼睛的组合,而这些眼睛实际上是在管状结构中。
And what you're seeing is a combination of the eyes, which are actually in tubes.
它们的眼睛是拉长的,并由一种叫做巩膜环的结构牢牢固定住。
So they're elongated eyes that are held in place rigidly by something called a scleral ring.
你可以把它想象成一堆骨质的瓦片,为它们的眼睛提供刚性支撑。
You can think of it as like a bunch of bony shingles, and they provide a rigid structure for its eyes.
而在那周围,是猫头鹰巨大的面部盘状羽毛。
And then around that is this huge facial discs that owls have.
你可以看到所有猫头鹰都有这种浓密的羽毛,让它们看起来像是有个圆圆的脑袋,但实际上,当把喙也算上时,整体是三角形的。
You can see that on all the owls that they have this massive feathers that makes the owl appear as if it has this big rounded head when actually it's triangular when you consider the beak together.
它们的眼睛是管状的,还是被包裹在管子里?
And are their eyes tubular shaped or are they in tubes?
它们的眼睛是管状的。
They're tubular shaped.
什么?
What?
是的。
Yeah.
像香肠一样的眼睛?
Like a sausage eye?
是的。
Yeah.
它们有点奇怪。
They're sort of strange.
当然,这因猫头鹰的种类而异,但大多数都有这种细长的形状。
Of course, this varies by the species of owls, but most of them have that elongated shape.
实际上也有一些哺乳动物也有这种特征,比如婴猴和一些夜行性灵长类动物,它们也有细长的眼球。
And there are actually some mammals that have that too, like bush babies and some of these nocturnal primates have these elongated eyeballs.
所以猫头鹰,有着蓬松羽毛的大脸,眼睛是管状的,就像被骨质板管——称为巩膜环——固定住的粗大蠕虫。
So owls, big puffy feathery face and tube eyes, like big fat worms held in place by a bony plated pipe called a scleral ring.
现在它们的眼睛异常巨大,头部也很宽大。
And now they have this disproportionately large eyes and a big head.
我的意思是,眼睛大得惊人,比如大角鸮的眼睛占其体重的5%。
I mean, eyes are so big, like a great horned owl is 5% of its body weight.
什么?
What?
以人类为例,我们的眼睛只占体重的百分之零点零零三。
In a human, for example, it's like zero point zero zero three percent of the body weight.
所以它们在眼睛上投入了大量资源。
So they have a lot of investment in their eyes.
而且由于眼睛被固定住,它们无法转动眼球。
And in those eyes, because they're held in place, they cannot move the eyeballs.
我们可以直视前方,同时用余光观察周围的人,拥有很好的周边视觉。
We can sit there straight ahead and watch people out of the corner of our eye and we have great peripheral vision.
猫头鹰却做不到这一点。
The owls can't do that.
它们的眼睛固定在头骨里。
Their eyes are fixed in their head.
因此,它们必须转动头部才能看清前方的方向。
And as a consequence, they have to move their heads to see where they're going.
猫头鹰与其他大多数鸟类不同,因为大多数鸟类的眼睛长在头部两侧。
Now, owls are different than most other birds in that most other birds have their eyes on the sides of their head.
所以它们有良好的周边视野,但立体视觉不佳。
So they have good peripheral vision, but not good binocular vision.
而立体视觉对于深度感知至关重要。
And binocular vision is very important for depth perception.
猫头鹰的立体视觉视野大约有70度。
And owls have about a 70 degree field of binocular vision.
相比之下,人类的立体视觉视野接近180度。
Humans, by contrast, have nearly a 180 degree binocular vision.
但这种适应性并不仅仅是捕食者与猎物之间的标志。
But this adaptation, it's not just a badge of predator versus prey.
许多以植物为食、需要在树间穿梭的动物拥有两只朝前的眼睛,因为这有助于它们在跃向树枝前判断距离,避免撞到脸上。
Bunch of plant eaters who have to swing through trees have two forward facing eyes because it helps them judge the distance before leaping between branches and getting smacked in the face.
但Rocky,因为他太棒了,后来给我发邮件,想进一步详细说明它们的视力。
But Rocky, because he's awesome, emailed me later wanting to impart more details about their vision.
他真是最好的。
He's the best.
他写道,猫头鹰在黑暗中的视力比我们和其他鸟类好得多,因为在他的说法中,那些香肠状的眼睛末端,视杆细胞(感光细胞)的比例远高于视锥细胞(感色细胞),而其他鸟类或人类则不是这样。
He wrote, owls see way better in the dark than us and other birds because at the end of those sausage eyes, he says, they have a higher proportion of rods, which are the light sensitive structures relative to the cones, which are the color sensitive structures than other birds or humans.
事实上,他继续说,在视网膜上有一个叫做中央凹的凹陷区域,这个区域非常敏感。
In fact, he continues, in the retina, there is something called the foveal pit, which is a depression in the retina, and that's highly sensitive.
它密集地布满了仅有的视杆细胞,也就是感光细胞。
It's densely packed with only rods, the light sensitive structures.
此外,他说许多猫头鹰在视网膜后方还有一层反光层。
In addition, he says many owls have this reflective layer behind the retina.
这层结构叫做明毯,它能将更多光线反射到视杆细胞中。
It's called a tapetum lucidum, and it gathers even more light into the rods.
他说这就是为什么如果你用手电筒照一些动物,它们的眼睛会发光。
And he says this is why if you shine a flashlight at some animals, their eyes glow.
那是光线从那层明膜上反射出来的。
It's light reflecting off that tapetum lucidum layer.
所以我们现在知道了。
So now we know this.
如果你对夜行生物情有独钟,你可以收听我们关于狐猴、浣熊和负鼠的节目。
And if you have a soft spot for creatures of the evening, you can enjoy our episodes about lemurs, raccoons, possums.
我们甚至有一整集是关于眼睛的。
We even have a whole eye episode.
但没错,猫头鹰凭借那些管状结构拥有出色的双眼视觉。
But, yeah, owls, great binocular vision via those tubes and pipes.
但尽管猫头鹰很想,它们却无法轻易斜视。
But as much as an owl would like to, they can't give a lot of side eye.
它们的视野没有我们的宽,因为它们的其他眼睛是固定的,但这仍然能让它们聚焦并判断猎物的距离,例如。
It's not as wide as ours because their other eyes are fixed, but it still gives them the ability to focus in and determine the distance of prey is, for example.
因此,由于它们的眼睛是固定的并且具有双眼视觉,它们必须转动头部才能判断声音的来源。
And so because they have this fixed eye and binocular visions, what they have to do is turn their head to see where a sound is coming from.
但为了弥补这种受限的视野,它们进化出了一种适应能力:可以将头部旋转270度,从而实现全方位转动。
But one of the adaptations they have evolved to compensate for this restricted eye is that they can rotate their head, they can swivel their head two seventy degrees so they can turn it all around.
当你想到扭动头部时,我们根本做不到这一点。
When you think about twisting your head, well, we just can't do that.
我勉强才能把头转到四五十度左右。
I can barely get my head forty, forty five degrees around.
但当它们转动头部时,颈部动脉通往大脑的孔道——也就是椎骨上的那些孔——实际上非常宽大,这样在转动时动脉不会被挤压。
But when they twist it, the foramen or foramina that the arteries of the neck going up into the brain, they run through these holes in the vertebrae and they are actually quite wide so that when they twist, the artery doesn't get constricted.
哦,天哪。
Oh, wow.
因为如果我们不能做到这一点,颈动脉可能会被压迫,导致我们晕厥,但它们不需要担心这个。
Because if we weren't able to do that somehow, we'd probably constrict our carotid arteries and we'd pass out, but they don't need that.
它们可以直接整个转过去。
They just switch all the way around.
另一点是,猫头鹰的颈部有14块椎骨,而我们只有7块。
And the other thing is owls have 14 vertebrae in their neck, whereas we only have seven.
它们的脖子非常长。
They have a very long neck.
但这其实是一种错觉,因为如果你仔细看,它们看起来像是脖子很短,但实际上它们的脖子非常长。
And again, that's an illusion because if you look at it, they look like they have little short necks, but actually they have a really long neck.
这都是因为它们的脸盘遮住了颈部,还有肩部的羽毛等等。
It's all because of this facial disc is covering things up and the feathers on their shoulders and so forth.
而这个脸盘本身很特别,因为它们实际上可以控制这些羽毛。
And the facial disc itself is unique in that they can actually control these feathers.
这就像我们把双手放在耳朵后面并拢起来。
And it's like us putting our hands behind our ears and cupping them.
当我们想听远处的声音时,就会把双手放在耳朵后面并拢起来。
And we do that when we want to hear something far away and we put our hands behind our ears and cupping them.
好的。
Okay.
所以从内部来看,猫头鹰之所以能像驱魔一样转动脖子,是因为它们的颈椎数量是我们的一倍。
So looking under the hood, again, owls can spin their necks like an exorcism because they have twice as many neck bones as us.
而在这些羽毛之下,它们的颈椎只比鸭子少两节。
And under all those feathers, they only have two fewer neck bones than a duck.
还有那些骨架。
There's Skellies.
我查了一下。
I looked them up.
它们看起来完全像另一种鸟。
They look like a completely different bird.
你会想,这是什么鸟?
You'd be like, what bird is this?
你根本猜不到这是猫头鹰。
You would not guess an owl.
它们的动脉通道也更大,而我们喜欢的那些扁平脸庞,更多是靠羽毛的调整,而不是骨骼结构。
They also have, again, bigger holes for their arteries, and those disc flat faces that we love are not structural so much as tweaked through their feather adjustments.
我知道你在说腿。
I know you're saying the legs.
腿。
The legs.
腿。
The legs.
我们得聊聊它们那奇怪的小青蛙腿。
We gotta talk about their weird little frog legs.
第二部分我们会讲到这个,我保证。
We're going to get to that in part two, I promise.
而且在它们的耳羽上,有能控制耳道开合的小瓣膜,同时耳后还有羽毛能引导声音进入耳朵。
And also on their ear flaps, they have these little flaps on their ear that can control the opening and closing of the ears, but they also have feathers behind them that also can direct sound into their ears.
猫头鹰是捕猎机器,但为什么有些猫头鹰的头部区域如此有风格呢?
So owls are hunting machines, but why do some of them have so much style in the head region?
关于它们,还有一件事是错觉。
And then another thing about them is an illusion.
有时候你会看到这些小突起,我们称之为猫头鹰的耳朵,出现在大角鸮和雕鸮身上。
Sometimes you see these little, what we call owl ears sticking up on great horned owls and screeching.
是的。
Yes.
那是什么?
What are those?
我们认为,这些可能是某种信号或标识装置,主要在晨昏时分活动或捕猎的猫头鹰会使用它们。
Well, we think they're probably signals of some kind or signaling device that owls that are primarily crepuscular or that hunt in the twilight hours of dawn and dusk.
我们称这种行为为晨昏性。
That's a term we call crepuscular.
我们认为这些可能是伴侣之间的信号,但它们与耳朵本身没有任何关系。
And we think that they might be signals between the pair, but they have anything to do with the ears.
那么你对猫头鹰的耳朵了解多少?
So what do you know about the ear?
它们的耳朵实际上是头部两侧的大型裂口,而且左右耳的位置是错开的。
The ears are actually big, slits on the side of their heads and the ears themselves are offset.
所以右边的耳朵比左边的高,它们的头部相对于大多数鸟类来说要大得多。
So the ear on the right hand side is higher than the one on the left and their head is proportionately much larger than most birds.
因此,当声音到达这些耳朵时,这简直令人难以置信——声音到达一只耳朵与另一只耳朵之间的时间差只有三十毫秒。
And as a consequence, when the sound hits those ears, this is sort of mind boggling, but the difference in time between the sound hitting one ear and the other ear is thirty milliseconds.
它们实际上能够根据这极其微小的、百万分之几秒的声音差异判断声源的方向。
And they can actually tell the difference of the direction of sound based on that teeny, teeny, teeny millions of seconds sound.
为了说明这一点,这里有两声间隔三十毫秒的滴答声。
To illustrate, here are two beeps that are thirty milliseconds apart.
这些都是猫头鹰所做出的种种调整。
And these are all these adjustments that the owls have made.
所以当你观察它们时,看起来它们好像没有耳朵,但实际上它们是有耳朵的。
And so when you look at them, it looks like they don't have ears, but they actually do have them.
但这些耳朵只是隐藏在羽毛后面的狭窄缝隙。
But they're just these narrow slits hidden behind feathers.
因此,猫头鹰在你眼中显得格外神秘。
So the owl is sort of enigmatic in the way it appears to you.
展开剩余字幕(还有 349 条)
但正如我们刚才所做的那样,把这些表象拆开,你就会看到猫头鹰的真实面貌——一种为征服黑夜而进化的鸟类。
But as we have just done, pull those things apart, you start to see what an owl is really like, which is a bird that has evolved to conquer the night.
所有的猫头鹰都是夜行性或晨昏活动的吗?有没有白天活动的猫头鹰?
Are all owls nocturnal or crepuscular or are there daytime owls?
有白天活动的猫头鹰。
There are daytime owls.
有一些猫头鹰在黄昏和清晨捕猎,属于晨昏性活动。
There are these crepuscular evening and morning hunting owls.
大多数猫头鹰是夜行性的。
The majority of owls are nocturnal.
比如穴居猫头鹰和短耳猫头鹰,它们主要在白天活动;而鸣角鸮和大角鸮则在傍晚和清晨花费大量时间捕猎。
So like burrowing owls and short eared owls, they're primarily diurnal and screech owls, great horned owls spend quite a bit of their time in the evening and early morning hours hunting.
但其余大部分猫头鹰都是夜行性的。
But most of the rest of the owls are nocturnal.
当我刚搬到现在这个社区时,我之前曾住在洛杉矶一个繁忙区域的公寓里。
When I first moved to my neighborhood Well, first, I had lived in an apartment in a busy part of LA for a while.
但当我搬到这所房子时,我们周围有了更多的自然环境。
But when I moved to this house, we had much more nature.
我找到了一根羽毛,仔细一看,发现它是一根猫头鹰的羽毛,因为边缘有一些锯齿状的结构。
And I found a feather, and I looked at it closely, and I realized it was an owl feather because it had little sort of a serrated edge.
我兴奋得不得了,果然,我们这里有一对大角鸮,晚上能一直听到它们的叫声。
And I freaked out so excited, And sure enough, we have a pair of great horned owls, and you can hear the at night, all at night.
这太棒了。
It's so great.
我非常喜欢它们。
I love them.
我们经常见到它们。
We see them all the time.
但你能解释一下它们为什么这么安静吗?
But can you explain a little bit about how they're so quiet?
因为它们有时会从我身边飞过。
Because one will fly right by me.
你听不到任何声音。
You can't hear a sound.
所有的猫头鹰都有这种特性吗,还是一部分才有?
And do all owls have that or only some?
几乎所有猫头鹰的飞行都是静音的。
Virtually all owls have silent flight.
那些没有这种特性的猫头鹰是捕食鱼类的种类,比如Catupa属和一些雕鸮,例如黑脚鱼鸮,这是世界上最大的猫头鹰。
Now, the ones that don't are the ones that hunt fish, like in the genus Catupa and some buboes, like the Blackison's fish owl, the world's largest owl.
所以这些是重达十磅的大家伙。
So these are 10 pound chunkers.
如果你还想了解更多,我推荐你阅读另一位鸮形目专家所著的精彩著作《东方冰原的猫头鹰:寻找并拯救世界上最大的猫头鹰》,作者是乔纳森·C·斯莱特博士。
And if you are thirsty for more info, I would like to direct you toward the wonderful book by another Strigiformeologist titled Owls of the Eastern Ice, a quest to find and save the world's largest owl by doctor Jonathan C.
斯莱特曾是洛克伊的学生。
Slat, who was a grad student of Rocky's.
我之所以如此兴奋地邀请洛克伊来参加这档节目,是因为乔纳森在书中提到了他曾与洛克伊一起进行野外考察。
And one reason I was so thrilled to get Rocky on this show is that Jonathan wrote about doing fieldwork with him.
所以乔纳森写道,他在亚洲进行野外考察时,他的向导此前从未见过罗基。
So Jonathan writes about some fieldwork that he was doing in Asia, and he writes that his guide on the trip had not met Rocky before.
但根据他过去与外国人的交往经验,他知道大多数外国人都体弱、娇生惯养,无法忍受昆虫群的侵扰、厕所里的虫子,以及厕所里成群的昆虫。
But his past experiences with foreigners had taught him that most were doughy, pampered, and unable to bear the discomfort of the insect swarms, the cat holes, and the insect swarms at cat holes that awaited them.
乔纳森继续说,我向向导保证,罗基反而从各种痛苦中获得一种病态的愉悦,并将不适视为最好忽略的对手。
Jonathan continues, I assured the guide that Rocky took a perverse pleasure in suffering of all kinds and viewed discomfort as an adversary best ignored.
然而,疑虑依然存在,直到他们见面时,罗基粗糙的双手和KT结实的体格让向导明白,他们二人早已习惯户外的艰苦生活。
Still, doubts lingered until they met when Rocky's rough hands and KT's ropey physique showed him they were a pair accustomed to an honest life outdoors.
六十多岁的罗基看起来像一只雪鸮,身材矮小,眼睛大大的,头上披着一头白发。
Rocky, in his sixties, resembled a snowy owl, short with large eyes under a mop of white hair.
KT年纪和罗基相仿,身材瘦小,沉默寡言,但观察力极强。
KT was about Rocky's age, slight, quiet, and highly observant.
所以,是的,你可以买一本乔纳森·斯拉特写的《东方冰原的猫头鹰:寻找并拯救世界上最大的猫头鹰》。
So, yes, you can pick up owls of the Eastern Ice, a quest to find and save the world's largest owl by Jonathan Slatt.
我们会在网站上提供这本书的链接。
We'll link it on our website.
你可以了解这些最大猫头鹰的全部信息,即濒危的毕氏鱼鸮,它甚至可以自豪地宣称自己近两米的翼展。
You can learn all about these largest owls, the endangered Blackiston's fish owl, which is allowed to brag about its nearly two meter wingspan.
翅膀的宽度跟你爸爸一样高。
Wings as wide as your dad is tall.
不是我。
Not me.
不是你网上的爸爸,而是那种真正的硬汉爸爸。
Not your Internet dad, but, like, a real man dad.
因为鱼听不见你,所以没必要保持安静。
There's no premium on being silent because the fish can't hear you.
它们要么从水面上方的栖木上俯冲而下,要么像毕氏鱼鸮那样经常沿着岸边行走、跳上岩石,然后跃入水中抓鱼。
They drop down either from the perch above the water onto there, or like the blackfish owl will oftentimes walk along the edge of the shore or jump on rocks and then jump into the pool and grab the fish.
回到你的观察,这其实非常出色。
Getting back to your observation, which is wonderful, actually.
谢谢。
Thank you.
猫头鹰有一些特殊的适应性特征。
Owls have a couple of adaptations.
其中之一就是,正如你所注意到的,它们的翅膀边缘有锯齿状结构。
One is that, as you noted, they have these serrated edges.
这是由于它们失去了大多数鸟类都有的、被称为羽小钩的小结构,这些结构原本用于将羽毛的羽轴牢牢锁在一起。
That's caused by the loss of these little hooks that are called barbules that most birds have that actually keep the feather rachy locked together.
而它们已经失去了这些结构。
And they've lost that.
因此,人们认为这使得猫头鹰能够无声飞行,但也有假说认为,这种结构实际上是为减少翅膀后方的湍流而演化出来的。
And so people have thought that that gives the owls a silent flight, but there's some hypotheses that it actually has evolved to reduce the turbulence behind the wing.
此外,它们的飞羽表面还覆盖着天鹅绒般的结构,而这才是真正降低它们发出声音的关键特征。
And then they have another adaptation with these velvety structures over the tops of their flight feathers that in fact is the one that's reducing the sound that they're making.
关于这一点,你可以阅读2017年的论文《促进猫头鹰无声飞行的翅膀特征》,其中引用了大量关于猫头鹰隐蔽飞行的研究。
And for more on this, you can please enjoy the twenty seventeen paper features of owl wings that promote silent flight, which cites plenty of other research into owl stealth.
论文还指出,这些鸟类宽大的翅膀通过允许它们缓慢飞行,从而有助于降低噪音。
And it notes that the large wings of these birds contribute to the noise reduction by allowing slow flight.
翅膀前缘的锯齿状结构和类似天鹅绒的表面不仅有助于降噪,还能提升空气动力学性能。
And the serrations on the leading edge of the wing and that velvet like surface have an effect on noise reduction, and they also boost aerodynamic performance.
它还指出,羽毛内侧的边缘以及翅膀后缘的锯齿状结构能够降低噪音。
And it notes that the fringes at the inner feather veins as well as the fringed trailing edge of the wing reduce noise.
所以这是这两个因素的综合作用。
So it's a combo of those two factors.
就像自然界中所有酷炫的特性一样,工程师们自然会想:我们也能做到吗?
And like everything that is cool in nature, of course, engineers are like, how can we do that too?
但要完全掌握这项技术,可能需要大约六千万年的时间。
But it it might take, like, around sixty million years to get it dialed.
这两项适应性特征,加上它们接近猎物的方式——或者在你的情况下,它们会从你身边飞过前往别处——通常会先弹射起飞,然后滑翔。
Those two adaptations coupled with the way they actually approach a prey, or in your case, they would fly by you to go another place, they often launch themselves and then glide.
它们不会像普通鸟类那样不停地拍打翅膀飞行。
They don't do the typical bird flapping and moving.
当然,在长途飞行时它们会拍翅,但在捕猎或攻击时,它们会不拍翅地接近目标。
They will, of course, when they're flying distances, but when they're hunting or attacking something, they come in without flapping.
所以它们的湍流减少了,声音也降低了,而且它们限制了翅膀的运动。
So their turbulence is being reduced, their sound is being reduced, and they're restricting their movements of their wings.
因此它们在飞行时几乎无声无息。
So they're virtually silent in flight.
我知道很多人会说:‘我听到猫头鹰从我身边飞过。’
I know a lot of people say, Well, I heard an owl fly by me.
他说:‘不,你没听到它们。’
He says, No, you didn't hear them.
你听到的是它们落在树枝上时,树枝上下晃动的声音。
What you heard was when they landed on the branch, and the branch is going up and down.
但那才是你真正听到的声音。
But that's what you heard.
仔细想想,这些动物完全可以从你身边飞过,而你却听不到任何动静。
When you think about it, these things can go right past you and you will not hear them.
它们是利用这一点来悄悄接近猎物的吗?
And are they using that to sneak up on prey?
它们能凭借那双巨大的香肠般的眼睛,看到啮齿动物和其他黄昏或夜间活动的动物在奔跑,然后直接俯冲下来抓取吗?
Are they able, with their giant huge sausage eyes, to see rodents scurrying and other crepuscular or nocturnal animals, and they're just swooping down and picking them up?
这是很多猫头鹰捕猎的方式吗?
Is that how a lot of owls hunt?
我们通常称它们为‘停栖突袭型’捕食者。
Well, we call them mostly perch and pounce predators.
当我观察它们捕猎时,你会看到它们非常专注地盯着某样东西。
When I watch them attack prey, you'll see them look very intently at something.
当然,我们经常用老鼠来引诱它们飞下来,以便我们能够捕捉到它们。
Of course, we often use mice to get them to come down where we can catch them.
这基本上就像在观看它们捕猎一样。
It's basically like watching them hunt.
但这其实是人为的,因为我们把食物放出来了。
It's artificial though because we're putting some food out.
但它们常常会专注地凝视,有时还会晃动头部来聚焦目标。
But they'll often look intently and sometimes bob their head to focus in on what it is.
一旦它们确认目标,就会立即扑向猎物,冲下来并伸展爪子抓住它。
Once they realize, they just launch themselves, come in and then extend their talons and grab them.
但它们也可以更换位置。
But they can also relocate.
所以如果它们听到声音并以为看到了猎物,但由于植被遮挡等原因无法清晰聚焦,就会飞到另一个栖木上,换个角度再观察。
So if they hear something and they think they see it and maybe they can't really focus on it because of the obstruction of vegetation or whatever, they'll fly to a different purge and then get another view of it.
一旦它们确信能抓到猎物,就会发动攻击。
And once they're confident that they can catch this thing, they make the attack.
我们在用老鼠喂猫头鹰的研究中发现,有些个体似乎更喜欢从地面捕猎,而另一些则偏好从树枝或树干上捕食。
We've noticed in doing these studies feeding mice to owls that some of them seem to prefer taking prey off the ground, others from branches or the size of the trees.
因此,我们称这种现象为个体对某种特定猎物形成搜索图像。
So we call this phenomenon when individuals get a search image for a particular type of prey.
你想要什么?
What do you want?
你想要什么?
What do you want?
现在,当然了,观察猫头鹰的饮食时,它们吃的东西很多,但有些似乎特别擅长或更喜欢从树上、灌木丛或地面上捕捉猎物。
And now, of course, owls, when you look at their diet, they're eating lots of things, but some of them seem to be very adept at or prefer to take animals off of trees or off of bushes or off the ground.
它们在如何进行捕猎方面有自己的偏好。
They have their own preferences for how they might go about doing this.
我得问一下,这种野外工作是什么样的?
And I got to ask, what's that fieldwork like?
你身上带着一袋活老鼠吗?
Do you have a pouch full of live mice?
是死老鼠吗?
Are they dead mice?
你是把它们扔到田野里吗?
Are you toss them in a field?
你是把死老鼠挂在树上吗?
Are you sticking a dead mouse on a tree?
你到底是怎么弄清楚这些的?
How do you figure that out?
我们通常使用活老鼠来喂养它们,因为我们之前用过那种从玩具店买来的小老鼠玩具,拖着它当诱饵。
Well, what we do is usually use live mice to feed to them because we have had lures, that little toy store mouse that we pull along.
但它们似乎能分辨出什么是真实的,什么是假的。
But they seem to know the difference between something that's real and not real.
因此,埃里克发现,把活老鼠放出去后,它们就会飞下来捕捉。
And as a result, Eric figured this out, putting live mice out there and then they'll come down to catch it.
随着时间推移,我们发展出了各种不同的方法。
Over time, we've developed different sorts of techniques.
首先是NIST网,然后埃里克发明了捕获杆。
First, NIST Nets and then Eric developed a capture pole.
接着我们又制作了套索杆和各种捕捉装置,比如诱捕盘等等。
And then we made noose poles and various devices to catch them, pan traps, whatnot.
但现在发现,最简单的方法就是直接用手抓它们。
And now it turns out the easiest thing to do is just catch them by hand.
什么?
What?
怎么做?
How?
你把老鼠放下去,它们会过来抓老鼠,你就直接抓住它们的脚。
You put the mouse down, they come for the mouse and just snatch them by the foot.
它们是不是很生你的气?
Are they so mad at you?
当你抓到猫头鹰时,它们经常会发出咔嗒声,这非常有趣。
It's really interesting that when you catch an owl, they often will bill click.
它们会把喙快速合上。
They pop their bill together.
这是一种激动的示警行为,也可能是一种威胁展示。
And that's sort of an agitation display and maybe even a threat display as well.
所以我们发现,如果你观察一对猫头鹰,这正是它们让人觉得如此可爱的原因之一:它们常常紧挨着一起栖息,然后互相梳理羽毛。
So one of the things that we realized, if you watch a pair of owls together, and this is one of the things that makes them so adorable to people, is that they often roost right next to each other and then they'll alloprene.
那是什么意思?
What does that mean?
这意味着它们会互相梳理羽毛。
So that means that they preen each other.
所以它们会飞上去,梳理彼此的脸部。
So they'll get up there and they'll preen their face.
我们想,要是我们也这么做会怎样?
We thought, you know, what if we did that?
你知道,我们就只是轻轻梳理它们的小脸之类的地方,因为它们当时还在咔嗒咬嘴、挣扎着想逃走,但你一开始给它们梳理脸部,它们就安静下来了。
You know, we just preen their little faces and stuff like that because they're just bill snapping and struggling and trying to get away and then just go like that and you just start aloe preening their face.
很快,它们就放松了。
Pretty soon they just relax.
它们只是觉得,哦,这感觉真舒服。
They just think, Oh, this feels so good.
这正是它们在做的事,因为我们认为,互相梳理羽毛具有几种功能。
That's exactly what they're doing because you're simulating Well, we think it's alloprinting serves a couple of functions.
一是加强伴侣之间的纽带,二是帮助维持羽毛,因为猫头鹰很难自己梳理脸部的羽毛,它们没法抓挠那里。
One is reinforcement of the pair bond between the pair and also its feather maintenance because an owl can't really maintain its feathers very well on its face, they can scratch and so forth.
当它们的伴侣为它们梳理面部、整理羽毛时。
When they get the mate preening their face, fix up the feathers and so forth.
大多数猫头鹰是一夫一妻制吗?还是完全取决于物种?
Are they mating for life, most owls, or is it totally dependent on the species?
哦,来个悬念。
Oh, a little cliffhanger.
别走开,广告后揭晓猫头鹰的爱情故事。
Stay tuned until after the break to find out about owl romance.
但在那之前,让我们为洛克西热爱的事业捐款——国际猫头鹰中心,位于明尼苏达州的休斯顿。
But first, let's donate to a cause that Rocky loves, which is the International Owl Center, which is in Houston, but Houston, Minnesota.
它们的使命是通过教育和研究,为猫头鹰创造一个更美好的世界。
And their mission is to make the world a better place for owls through education and research.
它们还在三月举办国际猫头鹰节。
And they also have an international owl festival in March.
去年,洛克西和约翰·斯特拉特曾作为演讲者出席,他们的网站上还有大量关于猫头鹰、鸟类康复人员的资源,甚至还有一个世界猫头鹰名人堂,用以表彰那些为改善猫头鹰生存环境做出杰出贡献的猫头鹰和人类。
Rocky and John Stratt were speakers last year, and they have a bunch of resources on their site about owls, bird rehabbers, even a World Owl Hall of Fame, which brings public recognition to the owls and humans that have done great things to make this world a better place for owls.
你可以在 internationalowlcenter.org 上了解更多。
You can find out more at internationalowlcenter.org.
所以我为这个举杯,同时也捐款支持。
So I'll toast to that and also donate to that.
感谢本节目的赞助商。
Thank you to sponsors of the show.
好的。
Okay.
我刚刚问了Rocky。
So I had just asked Rocky.
大多数猫头鹰是一夫一妻制,还是完全取决于物种?
Are they mating for life, most owls, or is it totally dependent on the species?
对于大多数物种,我们其实并不清楚。
Well, for most species, we really don't know.
但看起来大多数物种都会保持长期的配对关系。
But it appears that most species maintain a long term pair bond.
我不会说它们是一生相伴的,因为它们确实会分开。
I wouldn't say mate for life because they do in fact divorce.
哦。
Oh.
医生。
Doctor.
看着我,孩子。
Look at me, son.
这不是你的错。
It's not your fault.
医生。
Doctor.
它们会离开一个伴侣,去找另一个伴侣。
They'll leave a mate and go to another mate.
很可能,如果它们繁殖失败,其中一个伴侣就会离开,去寻找另一个巢穴。
It very well might be that if they're failing to nest, one mate will leave and try to find another nest.
这仍需更全面地调查。
That still needs to be investigated more fully.
但我们所知的少数每年都不与同一配偶交配、而是寻找新伴侣的鸟类之一,是穴居猫头鹰。
But one of the few that we know does not mate, annually seems to find new mates, is a burrowing owl.
每年都会寻找新的伴侣。
Will seek out new mates each year.
那些鸟巢是什么样的?
What are those nests like?
在我们意识到大多数仓鸮喜欢这种巢箱之前,我们就安装了一个猫头鹰巢箱,而我们当时已经有一些大角鸮了,所以对猫头鹰来说已经足够了。
We put up an owl box before we realized that mostly barn owls like those, and we already had some great horned, we were good to go on the owls.
现在,大角鸮会停在猫头鹰巢箱的顶部,从那里俯冲和栖息。
So now the great horned owls sit on top of the owl box, and they do their pounce and perch from there.
但这些猫头鹰大多拥有什么样的巢?
But what kind of nests do a lot of these owls have?
它们是在树洞里找巢吗?
Are they finding a hole in a tree?
它们是用树枝筑巢的吗?
Are they building them out of sticks?
它们是找其他废弃的巢吗?
Are they finding another abandoned nest?
我知道鸽子不擅长筑巢,因为如果它们在悬崖上,根本不需要筑得好。
I know pigeons suck at nesting because they don't really need to be good at it if they're on a cliff.
那猫头鹰呢?
But what about owls?
是的。
Yeah.
猫头鹰不会自己筑巢。
Owls don't build their own nests.
哦。
Oh.
你的观察是正确的。
Your observation is correct.
但它们会寻找多种不同类型的巢。
But they will seek several different kinds of nests.
正如你所指出的,它们会寻找并使用老鹰等猛禽的废弃巢穴,以及乌鸦的巢穴。
As you noted, they will find and use old abandoned raptor nests, nests of ravens.
它们有时会在树杈处筑巢,那里堆积了大量杂物。
They will sometimes nest in the crotch of a tree where there's accumulated debris.
它们会在巫婆扫帚状的植物丛中筑巢。
They will nest in witches' brooms.
它们会在大的树洞中筑巢。
They'll nest in big cavities.
如果一棵树的顶部被折断,就像原始森林中的情况,许多老树因疾病或真菌而变得虚弱,一场风暴就会将树顶折断。
If a tree is broken off at the top like an old growth forest, a lot of times older trees get weakened by disease or fungus and a windstorm will break the top of the tree.
经过十到十五年的腐烂,那里会形成一个浅浅的凹陷,它们就会在那个凹陷中筑巢。
And ten or fifteen years of rotting, there's a shallow depression there, and they will nest inside that depression.
有时候我也在凹陷处筑巢。
Sometimes I nest inside a depression sometimes.
我还以为Rocky只是在开玩笑,但巫婆的扫帚真的是存在的。
Also, I thought Rocky was just being cute, but a witch's broom is a real thing.
我之前根本不知道这个。
I did not know this.
当一棵树感染了病原体或出现异常生长时,它会长出一团奇怪的卷曲小枝条。
And when a tree has a pathogen or some wonky growth, it can grow this clot of weird little curly branches.
它们看起来就像鸟巢。
They look like a bird's nest.
以至于猫头鹰用它们那像香肠一样的眼睛看到后,会说:‘嘿,没错。’
So much so that owls see it with their sausage eyes, they say, hell, yeah.
我现在就住在那里。
I live there now.
它们不会添加任何材料。
And they don't put any kind of material.
它们只是把蛋直接下在现有的地方。
They just whatever's there, they just lay their eggs on
它。
it.
而且,
And,
当然,大雕鸮和其他一些猫头鹰会像这些鸽子一样在悬崖上筑巢。
of course, great horned owls and some other owls will nest in cliffs just like these pigeons will.
但鸽子通常会建一个简陋的小巢。
But the pigeons usually build a little flimsy nest.
它们不是出色的筑巢者,但确实会筑巢,而猫头鹰则不会。
They're not great nest builders, but they do build a nest, whereas the owls don't.
在你的情况中,正如你提到的,我在想,也许盒子上的洞口对大雕鸮来说不够大。
And in your, your, your situation, as you mentioned that I was thinking, well, maybe the size of the hole in the box is not big enough for a grain horned owl.
这是一个可能性。
That's a possibility.
通常,不同猫头鹰的活动范围会重叠吗?还是说一个地方只要一对猫头鹰就够了?如果不同物种的猫头鹰在一起,它们会互相捕食吗?
Typically, will you have owls that overlap in range, or are they like one pair of owls is enough for one place, or will they start eating each other if they're a different species?
我们可能在谈论两件不同的事,但让我们按顺序来讨论。
We might be talking about two different things, but let's take these in order.
所以,如果你说的是同一物种,成对的个体可以相邻分布,家园范围也会有少量重叠。
So if you're talking about the same species, there can be adjacency in pairs and some small overlap in the home range.
但在它们的家园范围内,有一片区域是被保卫的,我们称之为领地。
But they have inside that home range is an area that is defended and we call that the territory.
这是一个专属区域。
And that's an exclusive zone.
如果它们知道有其他猫头鹰夫妇靠近,就会驱赶它们,不许进入这片领地。
So they will exclude any other owl pair from coming in into that territory if they know they're there.
鸣叫的一个目的就是宣告领地,告诉别人:别进来。
And that's one of the purposes of hooting is to announce the territory and to tell people, stay out of here.
这是我的地盘。
This is my place.
走开。
Leave.
滚开。
Get out.
但还有一个关于不同猫头鹰物种的问题。
But then there's the other question about different species of owls.
我们对此进行过研究,发现那些生活在同一栖息地的猫头鹰(即同域分布的物种),只有在食物不同或体型差异明显时才能共存,这表明它们在营养级或觅食方式上存在某种差异。
And we have done research on this and we find that owls that are syntopic, that is occurring in the very same habitat, can only coexist if they're eating different foods or they're different body sizes, which suggests that there's something going on with the trophic level or the way they forage.
因此,它们的体型必须有足够的差异,才能在同一个栖息地中共存。
So they have to be big enough difference in size for them to coexist in the same habitat.
但很多时候,体型小的猫头鹰会冒险出现在大型猫头鹰的栖息地中,因为它们可能会被吃掉。
But a lot of times, the little owls are taking their chance being in the habitat of the bigger ones because they'll get eaten.
是的,我本来想说,对它们来说,小猫头鹰就像小火鸡一样。
Yeah, I was going to say, like little Cornish game hens to them.
人们应该安装猫头鹰箱吗?
Should people put up owl boxes?
如果有人想在院子里吸引猫头鹰,最好的方法是什么?
If someone wants to have an owl in their yard, what's the best way to do it?
这 again 取决于你住在哪里。
Again, it depends on where one lives.
但在郊区,如果树木足够多,通常会有一些小猫头鹰,比如侏儒猫头鹰或鸣角鸮,你可以吸引它们在那里栖息。
But very often in suburban areas, if there are sufficient trees, there's often small owls around like pygmy owls or screech owls, and you can entice them to live there.
而对于这些小型猫头鹰来说,树洞常常是限制因素。
And very often, holes are a limiting factor for these small owls.
因此,安装巢箱很可能吸引它们前来。
So putting up nest boxes, you very well might attract now.
当然,如果你住在乡下,可能会吸引各种各样的猫头鹰。
And of course, if you live out in the country, then there's all kinds of owls that you might be able to attract.
因此,可以安装更大的或中等大小的巢箱等等。
And therefore, can put larger boxes or medium sized boxes and so forth.
但你必须小心,因为如果你把可能互相捕食的猫头鹰安置得太近,可能会适得其反。
But you have to be careful about this because you put owls in proximity that liable to eat each other, you might be doing something counterproductive.
所以,在吸引猫头鹰时要谨慎选择目标。
So be careful about what you're trying to attract.
你应该把巢箱安装在树上,还是放在独立的杆子上更好?
Should you mount the box to a tree, or is it better on a freestanding pole?
大概还是安装在树上比较好。
Probably anywhere on a tree.
但无论你把它放在杆子上还是树上,通常最好加装某种屏障,防止浣熊或其他动物顺着杆子爬上来偷袭。
But if you put it on a pole or on a tree, it's often helpful to place some kind of a barrier that a raccoon or other animal can't go up the pole to get it.
因为如果浣熊能爬上杆子或树,把爪子伸进去抓走小猫头鹰当晚餐,它一定会这么做。
Because if a raccoon can climb up a pole or a tree and reach its little paw inside and grab an owlet for dinner, it'll do that.
可怜的小猫头鹰。
Poor little baby owls.
猫头鹰是好父母吗?
Are owls good parents?
它们是非常称职的父母。
They are wonderful parents.
这是关于猫头鹰的一点。
And this is one thing about owls.
它们在雄性和雌性之间有着明确的分工。
They have a strong division of labor between the male and the female.
通常,雄性猫头鹰比雌性更小。
So typically, the male owl is smaller than the female.
关于这种反向性二态性——雄性较小、雌性较大——有许多假说。
There's lots of hypotheses about why there's this reverse sexual dimorphism, the males being smaller and the females being larger.
无论如何,雄性主要负责提供食物。
Be that as it may, the male is primarily the provider of food.
它们外出觅食、捕捉猎物,然后带回给坐在巢中的雌性。
They go out and forage and catch prey, bring them back to the female who's sitting on the nest.
雌性在产卵后,主要独自孵蛋并照顾幼鸟,而雄性则为它提供食物。
And the female, basically, after she's laid the egg, she incubates them by herself and primarily broods the young, and the male brings her food.
短尾王。
Short king.
她只在排便、梳理羽毛或外出接收猎物时才会离开巢穴。
She only leaves the nest to defecate and to do feather maintenance and the like, or come out and receive prey.
扎克·佩里,我是威斯康星大学的同事,他有一位研究生叫西恩娜·祖鲁。
Zach Perry, one of my colleagues that I work with at the University of Wisconsin, he had a graduate student, Sienna Zulu.
西恩娜会爬到这些树上,在巢里安装夜视摄像头,以确定猎物是什么。
And Sienna would climb up these trees and put a night camera on the nest and would determine what the prey was.
在这段视频中,你首先看到一只雄性猫头鹰飞来降落,放下一只林鼠,然后另一只雌性猫头鹰从别处飞来进入巢中。
And in this particular video, you first see a male owl coming in and landing and depositing a wood rat, and then the female coming from somewhere else and going into the nest.
接着你看到小猫头鹰探出头来。但通常情况下,雄性会带着猎物来到巢边,发出轻柔的叫声或鸣叫,雌性就会从巢中出来,雄性飞到她身边,她从他口中接过猎物,然后返回巢中。
And then you see the little baby pop up its But normally what happens is the male will arrive at the nest with a prey item, and he'll give a soft call or a hoot, and the female will come out of the nest and then he'll fly over to her and she takes it from him and then she goes back in.
由于幼鸟太小,无法自己处理猎物,雌性会把猎物撕成小块喂给它们。
And because the young are too small to really handle the prey, she'll tear it apart and feed them bits.
那些它们无法吃掉的部分,比如头骨,她就直接丢到巢外。
And the things that they can't eat like the skull, she just pops them down.
给妈妈的外卖,床上早餐,新鲜的死老鼠。
A delivery for mom, breakfast in bed, fresh dead rodents.
当你有毛茸茸的小猫头鹰在尖叫时,每一天都是母亲节。
When you've got fuzzy tiny screaming owlets, every day is Mother's Day.
什么共同育儿?
What co parenting?
有一次,我有个项目负责人正在加利福尼亚南部的圣贝纳迪诺山脉领导一个项目,名叫比尔·拉海。
So one time, I had a project leader who was leading one of the project in Southern California in the San Bernardino Mountains, Bill Lahay.
他给我打电话说,我想给你看看这个鸟巢。
And he called me up and he said, I want to show you this nest.
他说,这只雌鸟已经整整两周没有离开过巢了。
He said, This female has not moved off the nest for like two weeks.
我说,这挺奇怪的。
And I said, That's pretty weird.
因为通常当我们想确认是否有鸟巢时,会给雄鸟喂一只老鼠,看它会不会把老鼠带回巢,然后我们跟着它穿过森林找到巢穴。
Because oftentimes when you feed the male a mouse to try to determine whether or not they have a nest because the male will take the mouse the nest and you chase them through the forest while they find to the nest.
这就是我们定义鸟巢的方式。
And that's how we define the nest.
但这只雌鸟并没有这么做。
Anyway, this female wasn't doing that.
所以我们过去看了看,能看见那只雌鸟的头,只有头顶部分,还有它那断裂树顶上翘起的尾巴。
So we went out and looked at it and you could see the female's head, just the top of her head and this broken top tree and her tail sticking up.
我们绕着它走来走去,仔细观察了又观察。
And we walked around and looked at this and looked at this.
我对他说,你应该爬到旁边那棵树上,往里看看到底发生了什么。
And I said, you ought to climb this adjacent tree and just look in there and see what's going on.
于是比尔,作为经验丰富的攀树专家,迅速爬上了树,往里一看,说:‘我觉得它可能死了。’
So Bill, being an expert tree climber, he scrambles up the tree and looks in and he says, I think she's dead.
我说:‘是的。’
I said, Yeah.
于是他爬下来,戴上攀树刺钉,又爬上了那棵断顶的树。
So he came back down and he put some climbing spurs on and went up this broken top tree.
他伸手进去,发现那只雌鸟已经死亡,蛋就躺在它的胸脯上。
And he reaches in there and this female had died and the egg was in her breast.
换句话说,我们推测,它是在等待期间饿死的。
So in other words, she starved to death, we think, while waiting for the thing.
她如此顽强,嗯,这正是我们所推测的。
She was so tenacious to Well, this is what we're speculating.
她不愿意放弃孵化那枚蛋。
She didn't want to give up incubating that egg.
如果那年食物匮乏,雄鸟无法为她带来食物,她就尽可能坚持下去,但最终为时已晚。
And so if it was a bad year and the male couldn't bring her nest, she just hung on as long as she could, and then it was too late.
但另一种可能是她得了某种疾病,或发生了其他状况,但看起来她只是因饥饿而死,因为她已经严重消瘦。
But the alternative, of course, is if she got some disease or something happened to her, but it didn't look like anything other than she had starved to death because she was emaciated.
所以这真的很令人难过,但这也印证了你的观点——它们是称职的父母。
So it was really it was sort of sad, but it but it gets to your point about being, you know, good parents.
我的意思是,它们是非常坚韧的父母。
I mean, they are tenacious parents.
它们会悉心照顾自己的幼崽。
They will take care of their young.
正如我们在《海獭学》这一集中提到的,那期节目深刻揭露了海獭的行为:一只母海獭可能已濒临死亡,因为她正在哺乳已经足够大、可以自己觅食的幼崽,但幼崽仍不断回到乳头吸吮。
So as we mentioned in the Lutrinology episode, which was a devastating expose on otter behavior, A mother otter might be on the brink of death because she's nursing offspring who are old enough to forage on their own, and they just keep going back to the teat.
这事本来轮不到我操心,但我真的被那些水獭幼崽气到了。
And this is none of my business, but I'm pissed at those otter children.
另外,下周我们会继续探讨斑点猫头鹰的生态,以及全球哪些猫头鹰是最濒危的物种。
Also, next week, we're gonna talk more about spotted owl ecology and which owls in the world are the most threatened.
不过现在大家该怎么知道自己家附近有没有住猫头鹰呢?
But how can you know right now if you are neighbors with an owl?
是不是如果在某个区域发现了猫头鹰的食丸,就说明这附近有猫头鹰的巢穴?
Do you know you've got an owl nest around if you see pellets in a certain area?
还有,为什么它们和其他鸟类不一样,非得吐出一团混着绒毛和骨头的东西呢?
And, also, why do they, unlike all these other birds, have to of barf up a clot of lint and bones?
如果你发现了食丸,这不一定代表附近有猫头鹰的巢穴,因为猫头鹰可能在别处筑巢,只是来这个栖息点停留,在那里吐出食丸。
If you find pellets, that does not necessarily mean that there's an owl nest nearby because an owl could be nesting somewhere else and roosting there and depositing pellets at the roost.
另外插一句,鸟巢是它们给自己的雏鸟保暖、喂食的地方。
And a nest, side note, is where they warm and they feed them babies.
但栖息点可以是它们白天喜欢打盹、放松休息的附近地点。
But a roost can be a nearby spot that they like to nap during the day, just generally chill.
通常意味着巢穴就在附近,但不一定特别近。
Usually means that the nest is somewhere in proximity, but not necessarily all that close.
还有就是,正如你提到的,关于这些粪团。
And the other thing is about these pellets, as you mentioned.
于是我开始想,研究粪团叫什么来着?
So I started thinking about, what do you call it when you study pellets?
不知道。
Don't know.
因为你知道有粪便学,对吧?
Because see there's scatology, right?
就是研究粪便的学科。
Whether it's the study of feces.
我开始试着查清楚,看了很多书,搜了很多资料,但都没找到相关信息。
And I started trying to figure this out, reading books and looking things up and couldn't find anything about it.
我想你或许可以叫它‘呕吐学’,因为它们会把粪团吐出来。
I guess you could call it barfology, where they're barfing these pellets up.
对我来说是肯定的。
It's a yes for me.
但让我先退一步说,鸟类会吐出超过300种不同物种的粪便团。
But let me back up one second here, is that pellets are cast by over 300 species of birds.
哦。
Oh.
所以这并不仅限于猫头鹰。
So it's not restricted to owls.
很多很多物种都会这样,但猫头鹰吐出的粪便团似乎最大、最显著。
So lots and lots of species do this, but the owls seem to form the biggest massive ones.
结果发现,鸟类的胃分为两部分。
And it turns out that the avian stomach has two parts.
其中一部分是像我们胃一样的腺体部分。
And one is a glandular part like our stomach.
它们称之为前胃。
They call it proventriculus.
另一部分是肌胃,也就是我们所说的砂囊。
And then the other part is the ventriculus, which is what we think of as the gizzard.
所以你有一个真正的胃,还有一个叫做砂囊的研磨器官。
So you have this real stomach and then this grinding organ called the gizzard.
所有柔软的部分会在胃部被消化分解,然后移动到砂囊中被进一步磨碎。
And all the soft parts get sort of digested and broken down in the stomach part and then move over to the gizzard where it's more finely ground up.
以猫头鹰为例,它们胃酸的pH值比猛禽要高。
Well, in the case of the owl, it turns out that the pH of their stomach acids is higher than a raptor, for example.
比如猛禽的pH值大约是1.8左右,而猫头鹰的pH值大约是2.5。
So a raptor is like a pH of 1.8 or something like that, and an owl is like 2.5.
而更高的pH值意味着酸性更弱。
And higher pH, remember, means it's a weaker acid.
这听起来有点让人困惑,我知道。
Confusing, I know.
但这个差异已经足够大,导致它们无法消化那些大骨头、毛发和其他类似物质。
But that's enough of a difference that they cannot digest these big bones, the hair and all that sort of stuff.
而许多典型的猛禽能够消化大部分骨头。
Whereas many of the typical raptors, they digest a lot of the bones.
它们仍然会吐出食团,但会消化一些小骨头。
They still cast pellets and stuff, but they'll digest some of the small bones.
猫头鹰则不会这样。
The owls don't do that.
因此,在软组织被消化并移向砂囊的同时,那些无法被分解的不可消化部分会被推到胃的顶部,并在那里压实。
And so as the soft parts are being digested and moved to the gizzard, the other undigestible parts that can't be broken down are pushed to the top of the stomach and sort of compacted there.
一旦消化过程完成,这些物质会形成一个小垫状物,看起来像一小坨粪便,具体大小取决于猫头鹰的体型——猫头鹰越大,食团也越大。
Then once the digestion process is completed, it is formed this little mat that looks like a little turd, depending on the size of the owl, the bigger the owl, the bigger the pellet.
然后它们会把食团吐出来。
Then they upchuck them.
它们会呕吐出来。
They barf them up.
医生。
Doctor.
美味。
Delicious.
医生。
Doctor.
人们推测,制作并吐出这个粪球所需的时间可能与它们摄入的餐食大小有关。
People have speculated that this is a constant The time it takes them to make this pellet and regurgitate it is probably related to the size of the meal that they get in there.
实际上我认为,在某些情况下,如果他们的粪球已经形成,而你此时提供一只猎物,我见过它们先看看猎物,然后开始吐出粪球,接着再下来吃你刚放出来的那只。
And I actually think that in some circumstances, if their pellet is already formed and you offer them a prey, I've seen them actually look at the prey and then start up chucking a pellet and then come down and get the one that you just put it out.
它们就像是在说:让我腾点空间。
They're like, let me make a little room.
但它们无法立即形成新的粪球。
But they can't form it immediately.
它们基本上是在说:好了,咱们赶紧开始吧。
They're basically saying, well, you know, let's get their show on the road here.
我可以问一些听众的问题吗?
Can I ask you some questions from listeners?
你还好吗?
Are you doing okay?
我知道我占用了你不少时间。
I know I've kept you.
不。
No.
我我
I I
我有的是时间,你尽管说。
got I got all the time you want.
好的。
Okay.
太棒了。
Amazing.
我太喜欢这个了。
I love this.
所以去问有远见的人一些模糊的问题。
So ask visionary people blurry questions.
再次非常感谢R。
And thank you so much again to R.
J。
J.
感谢Rocky Gutierrez不仅参加本周的节目,下周也会继续参与。
Rocky Gutirez for being on, not just this week, but next week as well.
我们会有第二部分。
We'll have part two.
节目说明中提供了链接,可以了解更多关于Rocky的信息,当然我们也会在网站上发布更多研究内容。
We have links in the show notes to find out more about Rocky, and, of course, we post more research on our website.
网址是allywar.com/ologies/strigiformology。
This will be at allywar.com/ologies/strigiformology.
下周我们将回归,解答你们所有关于猫头鹰的有趣问题,比如议会、谷仓、横斑鸮,是否应该对你的猫头鹰朋友呼啸,预兆、民间传说,不该在院子里放什么,一起让侦探和鸟类学家都困惑的凶杀案,还有更多内容。
Next week, we are back with all of your juicy owl questions like parliaments, barns, barred owls, if you should hoot at your owl friends, omens, folklore, what not to put in your yard, a homicide case that has baffled detectives and ornithologists alike, and so much more.
所以请继续关注,下周回来收看第二部分。
So stay tuned and come back for that part two next week.
我们在蓝鸟上也有Ologies的Instagram账号。
And we are at Ologies on Instagram at blue sky.
我在两个平台上都是Allie Ward。
I'm at Allie Ward on both.
Smologies是更短、更适合孩子的节目,可在任何播客平台收听。
Smologies are shorter kid friendly episodes available wherever you find podcasts.
只需搜索Smologies,拼写为s m o l o g I e s。
Just search Smologies, s m o l o g I e s.
Ologies的周边商品有托特包、T恤和帽子,可在ologiesmerch.com购买。
Ologies merch has totes and shirts and hats at ologiesmerch.com.
感谢在patreon.com/ologies上支持本节目的赞助者。
Thank you to patrons at patreon.com/ologies for supporting the show.
他们还能优先购买现场活动的门票,这也是每月一美元加入的另一项福利。
They also get first dibs on tickets for live events, which is another perk for a dollar a month if you join.
也要感谢 Erin Talbert,她负责管理 Ologies 播客的 Facebook 群组。
Thank you also to Erin Talbert who admins the Ologies podcast Facebook group.
Evelyn Malik 负责制作我们的专业字幕文本。
Evelyn Malik makes our professional transcripts.
Kelly Ardwyer 负责维护网站。
Kelly Ardwyer does the website.
夜间与日间节目排期制作人是 Noel Dilworth。
Nocturnal and diurnal scheduling producer is Noel Dilworth.
我们的细致入微的运营总监是 Susan Hale。
Our eagle eyed managing director is Susan Hale.
负责剪辑的两位是 Jake Chaffee 和首席剪辑师 Mercedes Maitland,来自 Maitland Audio。
The pair of editors sharing the branch is Jake Chaffee and lead editor, Mercedes Maitland of Maitland Audio.
Nick Thorburn 创作了我们的主题音乐。
Nick Thorburn, who did out the theme music.
如果你坚持听到最后,我知道我可能会告诉你一个秘密。
And if you stick around until the very end, you know, I might tell you a secret.
不管你想不想听,我都要告诉你一个秘密。
I will tell you a secret whether you want to or not.
这周的秘密是:每当我需要通过SD卡从录音设备向笔记本电脑传输文件时,我都得用一个转接器。
And this week, it's that whenever I have to transfer files via an SD card from my recording device onto my laptop, I have to use a dongle.
对吧?
Right?
因为2025年的生活已经够难了。
Because life isn't hard enough in 2025.
但还有一个小秘密。
But a little secret.
我通常直接把转接器拔出来,从不正经点弹出图标。
I usually just rip the dongle out without properly hitting the eject icon.
我知道总有一天这会毁了我,但到目前为止我都侥幸逃过了。
And I know one day this is gonna ruin my life, but I've gotten away with it thus far.
所以,你可以安慰我,告诉我这没关系,也可以狠狠吓唬我一下,让我改掉这个习惯。
So feel free to either, like, soothe my soul and tell me it's fine, or you can scare me straight on this one.
提前感谢你。
I appreciate it in advance.
好的。
Okay.
下周会有更多OWLs和Rocky。
More OWLs, more Rocky next week.
太棒了。
It's so good.
好的。
Okay.
再见。
Bye bye.
厚皮病学。
Pachydermatology.
掌纹学。
Palmiology.
神秘动物学。
Cryptozoology.
岩石学。
Litology.
纳米技术。
Nanotechnology.
气象学。
Meteorology.
猫头鹰真美。
The owls are beautiful.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。