本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这里是《由外而内》。
This is Outside In.
我是内特·黑吉。
I'm Nate Hedgie.
四十年前的这一周,挑战者号航天飞机解体了。
Forty years ago this week, the Challenger space shuttle broke apart.
它夺去了康科德高中教师克里斯塔·麦考利夫以及机上另外六名宇航员的生命。
It claimed the life of Concord High School teacher, Christa McAuliffe, as well as the six other astronauts on board.
我们在上一期节目中谈到了那一天,以及它如何影响我们对未来载人航天的思考。
We talked about that day in our last episode and how it might impact the way we think about sending people to space in the future.
但我们真正没有做的是深入关注克里斯塔本人。
But what we really didn't do is linger on Krista herself.
现在的太空计划是一场科学、数学或技术的冒险。
The space program is a science or math or technological adventure right now.
我希望学生们能获得一些主导权。
I want the students to get a little bit of ownership.
我希望他们能感受到自己属于太空时代,因为他们是未来,他们的孩子或孙子辈将开创这一时代。
I want them to feel that they're part of the space age because they're the future and their children or grandchildren are gonna be pioneering that.
所以我真心希望
So I really hope
她的去世在全国范围内引起了巨大反响,但在这里尤其意义非凡。
Her death was a huge national story, but it was an especially big deal here.
我们制作《Outside In》的电台站点离康科德高中只有几英里远,那里正是克里斯塔教授社会学的地方。
The station where we make Outside In is just a couple of miles from Concord High, where Krista taught social studies.
所以今天,我们带来了一系列故事和采访,都是NHPR《纪念克里斯塔》系列的一部分。
So today, we've got a series of stories and interviews that are all part of NHPR's series Remembering Krista.
我们将听到一位曾报道她故事的本地记者的讲述。
We'll hear from a local journalist that covered her story.
我们走进去时,看到其他记者都在流泪。
We walked in, and I observed other reporters weeping.
那些最了解她的人,
The students who knew her best,
NASA做出的那些糟糕决策,我很容易就能想到她会把这作为教学主题,而且
the poor decision making, that was made at NASA, that this would be a topic that I could easily see her teaching about, and the
社区致力于铭记她的遗产。
community charged with remembering her legacy.
她是一位女权主义者,激励着女性和女孩。
She was a feminist, empowering women and girls.
她是一位开拓者。
She was a pioneer.
敬请期待。
Stay tuned.
嘿。
Hey.
我是内特·黑迪,最近我们刚刚达成了一个重要里程碑——《Outside In》播出十周年。
I'm Nate Hedgie, and just recently, we hit a huge milestone, ten years of Outside In.
没错,各位。
That's right, folks.
好奇心并没有害死这只猫。
Curiosity has not killed this cat.
过去十年里,我们向你们讲述了许多精彩的故事。
We've spent the past decade telling you wild stories.
这种菌类叫做肝形假层孔菌,俗称牛肉菇。
This is called fistulina hepatica, which the common name is the beefsteak mushroom.
带你们去一些荒野之地。
Take you to wild places.
今天天气不错,但我们这里一直狂吹风雪、冰粒和雨水,风力强劲。
It's a nice day today, but we've been up here blowing snow and sleet and rain, wind.
而且,是的,还用一些超级烂的双关语让你们直皱眉。
And, yeah, making you groan with some really bad puns.
我叫它氦气,但对你来说,得叫它氦爵士,因为这是一种惰性气体。
I call it helium, but that's sir helium to you because this is one noble gas.
天啊。
Oh my god.
为了庆祝,我们将在2月6日星期五于新罕布什尔州朴茨茅斯的Three S Art Space举办一场现场故事分享活动。
So to celebrate, we are throwing a live storytelling event on Friday, February 6 at three s Art Space in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
朋友们和往期嘉宾将登台讲述以‘蜕变’为主题的真实短篇故事。
Friends and former guests will be taking the stage to tell true short stories on the theme of metamorphosis.
您现在可以访问nhpr.org/events了解更多并购买门票,或在
You can learn more and get your tickets now at nhpr.org/events or find a link in
节目说明中查找链接。
the show notes.
我们在那里见。
We'll see you there.
您也可以直接在这桶里呕吐,或者如果您更喜欢坐着,可以在这桶里吐。
And you can puke right in that bucket there or if you're more comfortable sitting here, you can puke in that
就在那个桶里。
bucket right there.
好的。
Okay.
你有两个桶。
You've got two buckets.
精明理财、金融天才、货币魔术师。
Fiscally responsible, financial geniuses, monetary magicians.
这些是人们用来形容那些把车险转到Progressive并节省数百美元的司机的说法。
These are things people say about drivers who switch their car insurance to Progressive and save hundreds.
因为Progressive为一次性付清保费、拥有房产等提供折扣。
Because Progressive offers discounts for paying in full, owning a home, and more.
此外,当你需要帮助时,可以信赖他们出色的客户服务,让你的每一分钱都花得更值。
Plus, you can count on their great customer service to help when you need it, so your dollar goes a long way.
访问progressive.com,看看你是否能节省车险费用。
Visit progressive.com to see if you could save on car insurance.
Progressive意外保险公司及其关联公司,潜在节省金额因情况而异,并非在所有州或情况下都适用。
Progressive Casualty Insurance Company and affiliates, potential savings will vary, not available in all states or situations.
我是内特·黑迪,欢迎收听《户外之旅》。
I'm Nate Hedgie, and this is Outside In.
今天,我们将讲述和聆听关于克里斯塔·麦考利夫的故事和采访,她就在四十多年前的这一周,在挑战者号航天飞机灾难中遇难。
Today, we're hearing stories and interviews about the life and legacy of Christa McAuliffe, who died forty years ago this week in the space shuttle Challenger disaster.
我们的第一个故事,作为一名记者,让我特别有共鸣。
Our first story is one that really resonates with me as a journalist.
我以前也报道过一些艰难的新闻,但我真的难以想象,刚报道完一场全国性的庆典,转眼间就变成了一场全国性的悲剧。
I've had to cover some tough stories before, but I really can't imagine documenting a national celebration only to then have it turn into a national tragedy.
罗杰·伍德就不得不面对这样的经历。
Roger Wood had to do exactly that.
1986年1月,他正在新罕布什尔州一家小型乡村音乐电台WOKQ担任广播新闻记者,当时被派往佛罗里达州,提前为发射做报道。
He was working as a radio news reporter in January 1986 for WOKQ, a small country music station based in New Hampshire, when he was sent to Florida ahead of the launch.
以下是他的原话。
Here he is.
我叫罗杰·伍德。
My name is Roger Wood.
我的工作,当然就是担任电台的新闻播音员。
My job, of course, was being a news reporter on air.
当我得知克里斯塔·麦考利芙被选为首位进入太空的教师时,我去了康科德。
When I learned that Krista McAuliffe was picked to be the first teacher in space, I went to Concord.
他们举办了一场庆祝游行。
They had a kind of a congratulations parade.
这无疑是克里斯塔·麦考利芙在家乡康科德的周末,这位36岁、容貌出众的教师、妻子和两个孩子的母亲,正坐在敞篷车里,穿过首府康科德市中心的狮子会游行队伍。
This is most certainly Krista McAuliffe's weekend at her hometown of Concord, the photogenic 36 year old teacher, wife, and mother of two riding in an open car through downtown capital city Concord in the Lions Club parade.
摄影师和市民们都在认可她新获得的名人地位。
Photographers and citizens alike acknowledging her newfound celebrity status.
美国首位太空教师,来自康科德高中的社会研究教师,凯西·麦考利芙。
America's first teacher in space, Kirsty McAuliffe, social studies teacher from Concord High School.
我有个简单的问题。
I've got one quick question.
你有没有想过自己会瞬间成为媒体名人?
Do you ever think you'd be like an instant media celeb?
嗯,当我是十名候选人之一时,我确实想过这个问题。
Well, I had thought about that when I was one of the 10.
我们得到了很多关注,所以我预感到关注度还会继续上升,但我很享受这一切。
We got a lot of attention, so I knew it was probably going to increase, but I'm enjoying it.
然后她的车开走了。
Then her car pulled away.
我决定亲自去佛罗里达州的卡纳维拉尔角,亲眼见证挑战者号航天飞机的发射。
I, decided that it would be good to actually be there in Florida at Cape Canaveral during the lift off of the Challenger spacecraft.
我还和我的朋友吉姆·范杜宁一起前往。
I also traveled with my friend Jim VanDungin.
吉姆是新罕布什尔公共广播电台的新闻总监。
Jim was the news director at NHPR.
那次飞行中,有好几位与康科德学校有关的人士。
On that flight were a number of people that were in involved with the Concord schools.
我是吉姆·范杜宁,来自WEBO电台。
I'm Jim Van Duignan for WEBO.
康科德学区督学马克·博维说,看着棕榈树,感受着炎热,一切都变得真实多了。
Concord school superintendent Mark Bovey says just the, looking at the palm trees and feeling the heat, it's become a lot more real.
当飞机降落时,我向左侧窗外望去,看到左边有一个巨大的建筑,我猜这一定与下面的NASA中心有关。
When the, airplane was landing, I looked out of the window on my left and I saw this giant structure to my left and I assumed that has something to do with the NASA center down here.
这让我感到兴奋。
That that made me excited.
我们入住酒店后,认为第二天早上就是发射日。
We checked into the hotel and figured that the next morning would be the launch day.
抵达卡纳维拉尔角的天气系统将决定航天飞机能否准时发射。
Of the weather front arriving here at The Cape is going to determine whether the shuttle can go off on time.
但并没有。
But it wasn't.
发射被推迟了。
It was postponed.
格蕾丝和埃德·科里根是克里斯塔·麦科卢姆的父母,但这个周末,他们只是成千上万准备观看航天飞机发射的东北部居民中的一员,而他们的女儿克里斯塔正是首位进入太空的教师。
Grace and Ed Corrigan are Krista McCollum's parents, but this weekend, just two of the thousands of New Englanders getting ready to watch the shuttle launch of the first teacher in space, their daughter Krista.
他们告诉记者,他们并不担心女儿的安全,而且她自己也不担心。
They told reporters they're not concerned about their daughter's safety and that she isn't worried either.
她很好。
She's fine.
她对整个事情非常适应。
She's very comfortable with the whole thing.
她并不
She's not
担心、紧张或不安。
concerned, worried, nervous.
她只是迫不及待想出发。
She's just anxious to go.
它被一天天地推迟了,持续了好几天。
It was postponed on a day to day basis, several days.
我们回去后,天气预报说情况不好。
We went back and the weather forecast was bad.
天气非常冷,尤其是对于佛罗里达来说。
It's very cold, especially for Florida.
25度。
25 degrees.
WOKQ的罗杰·伍德正在与我进行现场连线。
WOKQ's Roger Wood is with me live.
罗杰?
Roger?
气象专家罗伯特·尼科尔森上校预测发射时只会出现微风和分散的高云,伴有零度以下的低温。
Weather expert Colonel Robert Nicholson is calling for only light winds and scattered high clouds with cold sub freezing temperatures at launch time.
于是我溜达到了实际的媒体中心,那里有一位NASA的气象人员。
So I wandered into the actual media center and there was a NASA weather person.
于是我就对着镜头问了这个人。
So I asked this person on tape.
不过你见过航天飞机发射时气温这么低的情况吗?
Have you seen temperatures ever this cold for a shuttle launch though?
嗯,去年这个时候第一架搭载国防部有效载荷的航天飞机发射时,气温也差不多这么低。
Well, we had temperatures about this low last year at this time when the first DoD payload shuttle went up.
我们因为发射台的结冰条件,错过了原定的发射日,推迟了一天。
We we lost the launch day by one day then because of freezing conditions on the pad.
今年看来他们已经解决了这个问题,发射计划照常进行。
It looks like they're ahead of that problem this year and that we're go for launch.
他们基本上无视了我的问题。
And basically dismissed my my question.
天空晴朗湛蓝,没有任何可能影响航天飞机发射的云层,目前看来所有系统都准备就绪。
The sky is bright and blue and not a cloud in it as far as would interfere with the shuttle launch, and it looks like right now all systems are go.
我们来到一个看台,那里有一些音频接口,于是我们将录音设备接了上去。
We traveled over to a grandstand which had some audio connectors on it, and we plugged our recorders into that.
我们听到了航天中心的通讯对话。
We were hearing the chatter from the space center.
我们就坐在那里,听着倒计时。
We just sat there, and they were counting down.
突然,火箭发射了。
Suddenly it launched.
从底部喷涌而出。
Pouring out the bottom.
太壮观了。
Brilliant.
黄色脱落。
Have yellow off.
已清空发射塔。
Clear the tower.
挑战者号航天飞机。
Shuttle Challenger.
收到。
Roger.
挑战者号航天飞机。
Shuttle Challenger.
你现在可以开始听到看台上的轰鸣声了。
You can now start to hear the roar at the grandstand.
从下方翻滚而出。
Billowing out from below.
声音难以置信,而我们距离航天飞机足足有五英里远。
Sound was unbelievable, and we're five miles away from the actual space shuttle.
地面正因那台发动机释放出的巨大力量而真正地颤抖。
The ground is literally shaking with the power that's coming out of that that engine.
白色的烟,棕色的烟,
Smoke of white, brown,
从我们的位置仍能看到一小簇火焰。
you can still see a small bit of flame from our position.
吉姆,声音开始减弱了,但景象令人惊叹。
Jim, the sound is starting to die out, but the spectacle is amazing.
你仍然能看到大量火焰从它的尾部喷出。
You can still see quite a bit of flame coming off the back of it.
现在我们已被烟雾遮蔽,看不见了。
Now we've lost it in the in the smoke.
那片云层中间有一团橙色的火焰。
There's sort of an orange flame in the middle of that cloud.
所以它发生了,吉姆。
So it's happened, Jim.
新罕布什尔州的克里斯塔·麦考利芙正在路上。
New Hampshire's Krista McAuliffe is on her way.
我们当时不在播报状态,因为我们之前已经宣布航天飞机
We were off the air because we had made an announcement that the shuttle was
信号丢失。
lost.
收到。
Copy.
飞行照片。
Flight photo.
请讲。
Go ahead.
RSO报告飞行器已爆炸。
RSO reports vehicle exploded.
收到。
Copy.
我们
We
我们走到媒体中心。
walked over to the media center.
我们进去时,看到其他记者都在哭泣。
We walked in, and I observed other reporters weeping.
一位来自新罕布什尔州的记者说,我无法继续了。
And one one reporter from New Hampshire said, I can't go on.
您能描述一下当时的场景吗,先生?
Can you describe the scene, Mr.
肯?
Ken?
嗯,
Well,
当倒计时接近零时,人群开始露出微笑和喜悦的神情,因为这次延误持续了太久。
when the countdown began reaching zero, the crowd showed signs of smiles and happiness because the delay had taken such a long time.
每个人都以为他们将无法看到航天飞机发射,只能返回康科德。
Everybody was thought they were gonna go back to Concord without seeing the shuttle launch.
火箭升空了,但我觉得人群一开始并没有意识到发生了什么。
The rocket took off, and I don't think the crowd knew what was going on right away.
过了一段时间,他们才注意到航天飞机仍在继续上升。
It took a while when they didn't notice that the shuttle had continued to go up.
然后,我认为第一个察觉到异常的是克里斯塔的母亲。
And then I think the first person who noticed what was going on was Christa's mother.
我当时一直关注着父母和兄弟姐妹,注意到她最先流露出恐惧的神情,并望向她的丈夫。
Her I was focused on the parents and the brother and sister, and I noticed that she showed the first signs of fear and looked towards her husband.
到那时,所有人都意识到了发生了什么。
And by then, everybody had realized what had happened.
那里当时极其、极其悲伤。
So it was extremely, extremely sad in there.
那是罗杰·伍德。
That was Roger Wood.
如果你今天在康科德走一走,你会看到克里斯塔·麦考利夫的雕像矗立在州议会大楼的草坪上,穿着她的宇航服。
If you walk around Concord today, you'll see a statue of Christa McAuliffe on the lawn of the State Capitol Building, decked out in her NASA suit.
步行几分钟外,你会经过克里斯塔·麦考利夫中学。
And a few minute walk away, you'll pass Christa McAuliffe Middle School.
她的名字在这里无处不在。
Her name is everywhere here.
但为了接下来这个故事,我们想听听那些曾经在高中上过她社会研究课的孩子们的故事。
But for this next story, we wanted to hear from the kids who knew her when she was their high school social studies teacher.
她曾指导过我的独立研究项目。
She supervised an independent study for me.
我当时在街上的州议会大楼实习,她负责监督这件事。
I had an internship at the State House down the street, so she was in charge of that.
里克·斯.
Rick St.
海莱尔是一名律师。
Helaire is a lawyer.
他曾是康科德高中克里斯塔的学生。
He was one of Christa's students at Concord High School.
她通过一项独立研究指导他,让他对公民教育产生兴趣。
She mentored him through an independent study that got him interested in civics education.
顺便提一下,你会听到他提到O型环。
By the way, you'll hear him mention the o ring.
那是挑战者号上的一种橡胶密封圈,调查人员确定它导致了爆炸。
That was a rubber seal on the Challenger that investigators determined caused the explosion.
由于低温,它失效了,使可燃气体泄漏并引爆了火箭。
It failed because of the cold weather, and allowed combustible gases to escape and blow up the rocket.
以下是他的讲述。
Here he is.
我真正记得的是,她就是这样一种人,总是能激发那种独立的兴趣。
What I really remember was that she's the kind of person that used to stir that kind of independent interest.
她非常热情,你知道,这正是她教学风格的标志之一——那种热情、乐观,能够以快乐而友善的方式支持学生。
She was extremely enthusiastic, you know, that's that's one of our hallmarks of her teaching style, that enthusiasm, her cheerfulness, to be able to support students in a very happy and kind way.
我最后一次见到她,我觉得这很好地体现了她的整体性格。
My last encounter with her, I think, just an illustration of her general personality.
那大约是她参与零重力实验的时候,你知道的,就是人们乘飞机上下飞行,让人在机舱内漂浮起来。
This was about the time that she was doing the, anti gravity testing, you know, when they go up in the plane and down and up and down so that they get to float in the plane.
我在走廊里碰到了她。
And I ran into her at the hallway.
我们聊起这件事,她脸上露出了灿烂的笑容,对所做的事情充满热情,努力向我这个学生传递她所经历的这场伟大冒险,让这种感受得以传达。
We were talking about this and her personality just really shown big smile on her face, extremely enthusiastic about what it is that she was doing and trying to communicate this great adventure that she had to a student, to myself so that it's it's transmitted.
你知道,她就是这样一位了不起的老师,不仅传授知识,更传递了对学习的热爱。
You know, she was one of those great teachers that really just passed on not just knowledge, but it's the kind of appreciation for learning.
而你甚至都意识不到自己正在学习。
And you don't even know that you're learning.
你知道吗,当你听到一个人对所做的事情如此充满热情时。
You know, when you hear from somebody who's so, so enthused about what it is that they're doing.
她是最出色的学生,也因此成为了最出色的老师。
She was the ultimate student, which made her the ultimate teacher.
挑战者号灾难更多是决策失误,而非硬件故障。
The Challenger disaster is a failure of decision making more than a failure of hardware.
当我17岁那年目睹这场灾难发生,开始意识到你面对的不只是一个O型圈的问题。
When you're 17 years old as I was and you see this disaster occur and starting to understand you're not just dealing with an o ring.
你面对的是有人做出了决定,压过了那些更了解不该发射的人的意见。
You're dealing with somebody who made a decision that overrode other people who had better knowledge of not to launch.
因此,这一点贯穿了我整个职业生涯:在拥有权威地位时,完全有可能缺乏做出正确决策所需的信息,此时最重要的是向那些比你更有专业知识的人让步,以便做出更好的判断。
And so that has stuck with me throughout my entire career, that it's entirely possible to be in positions of authority and not be armed with the kind of information that you need to make the right decision, where it's important to defer to others who have better knowledge than you do to be able to make better judgment calls.
多年来,无论我做出何种高层决策,我都铭记着那次导致悲剧性后果的严重错误。
And it's stuck with me in all kinds of executive decision making that I've made throughout the years of remembering that a really bad decision was made that had tragic results to it.
我还得说,麦考利夫太太在教授公民教育、社会科学和历史时,总是对历史上发生的决策过程进行深刻反思。
And I have to say too that missus McAuliffe, in terms of her teaching about civics and social studies and history, you know, she was always very reflective about decision making that occurred over time.
历史不仅仅是一系列事件的简单延续。
History wasn't simply a sequence of events.
她总是谈论各种事物是如何相互关联、所有部分如何彼此契合的。
She was always talking about how things all worked together, how all the pieces fit together.
因此,当我回想起麦考利夫太太作为一名教师,以及NASA所做出的那些糟糕的决策时,我很自然地想到,她一定会讲授这个话题——一个历史时刻如何演变成一场悲剧。
So, you know, it's kind of fitting as I reflect back on missus McAuliffe as a teacher and the decision making, the poor decision making, that was made at NASA, that this would be a topic that I could easily see her teaching about, that you have a historical moment that led into a tragedy.
这一切是怎么发生的?
How did that happen?
我们能否从中汲取至今仍适用的教训?
And can we learn lessons from that that are still applicable today?
当然,答案是肯定的。
And, you know, the answer, of course, is yes.
绝对如此。
Absolutely.
因此,这就是我们需要铭记的遗产之一:她传授批判性思维的能力至今依然鲜活,无疑也一直伴随着我。
And so that that's part of the legacy that we we need to remember that her ability to teach critical thinking is something that's still alive today, certainly something that lives with me.
那是里克·斯。
That was Rick St.
海勒。
Helaire.
今天,里克表示,麦考利芙的指导以及挑战者号灾难的悲剧至今仍在影响他的决策。
Today, Rick says McAuliffe's mentorship and the tragedy of the Challenger disaster continues to shape his decision making.
安德里亚·莱斯1986年是康科德高中的一名高三学生,和当时很多孩子一样,她记得在学校里亲眼观看了发射实况。
Andrea Rice was a senior at Concord High School in 1986, And like a lot of kids back then, she remembers watching the launch live from school.
我的高三那年非常特别,我觉得到了年底,不同群体之间的隔阂真的消失了。
My senior year was very unique, and I feel like by the end of it, a lot of the walls in between the different groups of people really came down.
他们给所有教室都装上了有线电视,以便每个教室都能观看直播。
They were wiring up all the rooms with cable so every classroom could watch it.
你知道的?
You know?
我们当时用上了非常先进的设备。
We were getting really high-tech stuff.
这特别就是为了能把那些电视机放在那些大推车上推进来。
This was specifically so they could wheel those TVs in on those big carts.
不过,事件发生那天我碰巧在食堂。
I happened to be in the cafeteria, though, on the day of the event.
我们有那种长条形的富美家层压板桌子,配着圆凳,大家都坐在电视机前,食堂后面靠墙的地方站着所有老师和工作人员。
We had those long Formica kind of laminate tables with the round seats, and everyone was just kinda sitting there in front of the TV, the back of the cafeteria standing up against the wall where all the teachers and everyone was sitting there.
那天我最深刻的记忆是,在爆炸发生的瞬间我转过身,看到后面所有的老师,看到他们的表情,那一刻我突然意识到他们不仅仅是老师,他们也是活生生的人。
What I remember most about that day is turning around the moment of the explosion and seeing all the teachers in the back and seeing their faces and just having, like, this real epiphany that they weren't just teachers, that they were human beings.
而那是他们的朋友。
And that was their friend.
而那是他们的人。
And that was their people.
那是他们的家人。
That was their family.
而那个,我想,几乎更让我崩溃。
And that, I think, broke me almost more.
因为那一刻我以一种完全不同的视角看待了他们,这带来了一个全新的现实。
So that because there was this whole new reality of just seeing them in a totally different light.
这令人心碎。
And it was heartbreaking.
我觉得我与身边亲近的人关系更近了,但同时也对学校里的其他人产生了更多的同理心。
I think I became closer to the people who were close to me, but you also had a lot of empathy towards other people in the school.
你不是一个人在经历这一切,这不只是你同学的事。
Like, you weren't alone going through this, and it wasn't just your classmates.
这是你的老师,是办公室里工作的那些人。
It was your teachers, and it was the people who worked in the office.
我们所有人都一起经历了这一切,拥有共同的体验,这种纽带是其他高中毕业班可能都没有的。
And we all went through this together, and we had this shared experience, and it created a tie that I don't know that other high school senior classes had.
我是一名护士,曾在医院照顾我们的副校长。
I'm a nurse, and I took care of our vice principal in the hospital.
作为成年人重新与他联系,和他聊聊那段经历,感觉非常美好。
And it was so lovely to reconnect with him as an adult and just have some conversations talking to him about that.
我只是感受到了一种更深的爱,我会照顾你,因为你曾经照顾过我们。
I just felt this extra level of love and like, and I'm gonna take care of you because you took care of us.
当我们挣扎、我童年时一切糟糕的事情发生时,你照顾了我,现在轮到我来照顾你了。
When we were struggling and when all this horrible stuff was going on in in my childhood, you took care of me, and now I'm going to take care of you.
这是安德莉亚·莱斯的故事。
That was Andrea Rice.
广告后,更多关于纪念克里斯塔的故事。
More stories from remembering Krista after the break.
听好了,我并不介意去查看苹果播客的排行榜,看看《外部世界》最近表现如何。
Listen, I am not beyond checking the top charts on Apple Podcasts to see how Outside In is faring these days.
是的,我们的表现还不错。
And, yeah, we're we're doing alright.
但我注意到,自然界主题的播客并不多。
But one thing I noticed is that there isn't a ton of nature pods out there.
所以当我看到一个新播客登上排行榜,名叫《自然的本质》,由威洛·迪菲巴主持时,我非常兴奋。
So I was really excited to see a new one popping up on the charts called The Nature Of with Willow Deafibah.
每期节目中,主持人威洛·迪菲巴都会与艺术家、科学家和文化先驱对话,探索自然能教给我们关于创造力、联结与变革的哪些道理。
Each episode, host Willow Deafibah sits down with artists, scientists, cultural pioneers to uncover what nature can teach us about creativity, connection, and change.
你将听到气候科学家讲述气候变化如何考验我们的人性,或癌症幸存者分享如何将痛苦转化为希望。
You're gonna hear things like a climate scientist on how climate change demands the most of our humanity, or a cancer survivor on what it means to turn pain into possibility.
我非常期待聆听她对罗宾·沃尔·基默尔的采访。
I'm really looking forward to listening to her interview with Robin Wall Kimmerer.
她是我最喜欢的作家之一。
She's a favorite writer of mine.
她还采访了罗克珊·盖伊。
She's also got an interview with Roxanne Gay.
这太棒了。
It's great.
要收听《自然之道》与威洛·迪菲巴的节目,请在你的播客应用中搜索《自然之道》与威洛·迪菲巴。
To listen to The Nature of with Willow Defibah, search for The Nature of with Willow Defibah on your podcast app.
就是《自然之道》与威洛·迪菲巴。
That's the nature of with Willow Defibah.
这是《户外之声》。
This is Outside In.
我是内特·黑迪。
I'm Nate Hedgie.
在克里斯塔·麦考利芙在挑战者号爆炸中遇难后的第二年,劳里·麦肯齐·戈登开始在康科德高中任教。
The year after Christa McAuliffe died in the Challenger explosion, Laurie Mackenzie Gordon began teaching at Concord High.
她教授的一门课程是美国女性史,这门课最初由克里斯塔开发并讲授。
One of her courses was American women's history, which was originally developed and taught by Christa.
虽然谈不上革命性,但在七十年代末到八十年代初,开设一门女性历史课是不寻常的。
Wasn't revolutionary, but the late seventies and early eighties having a woman's history class, that was unusual.
她是一位先驱。
She was a pioneer.
我们请麦肯齐回顾她教授这门课的经历,以及今天我们能从麦考利芙身上学到的教训。
We asked Mackenzie to reflect on teaching that class and on the lessons we can learn from McCullough today.
在我看来,从平凡中看到非凡,这是克里斯塔使命的核心部分。
Seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary, to me, that's a big piece of Christa's mission.
她是一位女权主义者,致力于赋予女性和女孩力量,这绝对是她的使命的一部分。
She was a feminist empowering women and girls, absolutely part of her mission.
她通过研究历史、原始文献,主要是日记、期刊之类的东西来实现这一点。
And she did that through the study of history, primary documents, primarily diaries, journals, that kind of thing.
例如,玛莎·巴尔德是缅因州的一名助产士,她过着极其丰富的生活。
For example, Martha Ballard was a midwife in Maine, and she just lived such a rich life.
那是在十八世纪,她每天都会在日记中详细记录。
It would have been the eighteenth century, and every day, she would take copious notes in this journal.
她不仅接生了生命,还是一位母亲。
And not only did she deliver a life, but she was a mom.
她是一位妻子。
She was a wife.
她,你知道的,生活在这个小镇上。
She, you know, lived in this town.
她是一位公民。
She was a citizen.
她只是做了我们每个人每天都在做的那些事。
She just was all these things that each of us does every single day.
你得让火一直烧着。
You had to keep the fires burning.
那时候没有DoorDash。
There was no DoorDash.
你得亲自去做饭。
You had to go, like, cook the food.
你得去弄食物。
You had to get the food.
这段历史极其丰富。
The history is just so profoundly rich.
但她给予我们的礼物是,她把这一切都记录了下来。
But the gift that she gave us was that she just wrote it all down.
我会带美国的女学生去康科德的分娩中心。
I would take the American women students to the Concord birthing center.
那是我带学生去的一次实地考察,克里斯塔因此而小有名气。
That was one of the field trips that I took that Krista was sort of famous for.
我们谈论了分娩,这看似平常,却又极其非凡。
And we talked about giving birth, which again is so ordinary and yet profoundly extraordinary.
请描述一下你在申请太空 shuttle 任务时所提出的项目。
Please describe the project you outlined in your application for your time in the space shuttle.
作为一名教了多年历史的老师,我深知社会史或大多数人的历史常常被忽视或遗忘。
Having been a history teacher for quite a few years, I've been very aware of the fact that social history or the history for the majority is often unknown or forgotten.
当我考虑为太空 shuttle 设计一个项目时,我觉得写日记或记录这些笔记,能够使太空计划更具人性化。
When I was thinking about doing a project for the space shuttle, I felt that doing a diary or a journal and keeping these notes would help personalize the space program.
学生们、老师们以及我所接触的其他人,就能从宇航员之外的视角来了解这一切。
The students and the teachers and others who I would speak to would have somebody else's viewpoint other than an astronaut's to look through.
关于她,还有另一个传说,说的是她曾对一位宇航员说,自己会成为历史中的一个脚注,或者成为《Trivia Pursuit》游戏里的一个问题。
There's another sort of legend about something she said to one of her astronaut meets about being a footnote in history or becoming a question on trivial pursuit or something.
她如此平凡,却做了一件非凡的事。
She was so ordinary and then did this extraordinary thing.
如果事情没有按照那样发展,会发生什么呢?
And what would have happened if things hadn't happened the way they did?
一切都按计划进行,她完成了她的日记,然后继续前行。
It just all went according to plan, and she did her journal and then went on.
如果她自己担任大使,她的遗产会是什么样子?
What would her legacy have looked like were she her own ambassador?
显然,我们不知道答案。
Obviously, you know, we we don't know the answer to.
我认为值得思考一下。
I think it's worth thinking about.
她变得比她本身更伟大,但我想这正是她的本意。
She became bigger than she was, but then I think that would be her point.
我们必须在日常生活中发现非凡之处。
We have to find the extraordinary in the everyday.
那是洛里·麦肯齐·戈登,她在克里斯塔·麦考利夫去世后在康科德高中任教。
That was Lori Mackenzie Gordon who taught at Concord High after Krista McAuliffe's death.
克里斯塔·麦考利夫被选为搭乘挑战者号任务的首位太空教师。
Krista McAuliffe was selected to be the first teacher in space aboard the fated Challenger mission.
但菲尔·布朗是候补人选。
But Phil Brown was a runner-up.
这就是他。
Here he is.
我为什么想去太空?
Why did I want to go to space?
我曾看到过卫星传回的图像,那里没有国界,只有这颗蓝色星球与黑色背景交织的美丽景象。
I had seen images from satellites without any geopolitical borders and just the beauty of this blue sphere and a background of blackness.
我想亲身体验一下那种感觉。
And I wanted to get a feeling of what that was all about.
我只是想,我要做这件事。
I just thought, I wanna do this.
上世纪84年,我在高夫索恩高中送报纸,之后我会用这些报纸在地下室的木炉里生火。
I picked up newspapers at Golf Sound High School at the time back in '84, And then I would use them to start fires in the in my wood stove in the basement.
当时有一篇文章,提到里根总统在1984年8月宣布了这一决定。
And there was an article that, where president Reagan had declared in August '84.
但今天,我命令美国国家航空航天局在我们所有的中小学中开展选拔,从美国最优秀的人才中,选出一位教师,作为我们航天史上第一位平民乘客。
But today, I'm directing NASA to begin a search in all of our elementary and secondary schools and to choose as the first citizen pastor passenger in the history of our space program, one of America's finest, a teacher.
就在我把报纸揉成一团准备扔进壁炉的时候,我得知将有一位教师进入太空。
There was going to be a teacher in space as I was crumpling up the newspaper to put it in the fire.
于是我对自己说:我想试试这个机会。
And I said, I wanna try for this.
新罕布什尔州是个小州,我很有希望。
New Hampshire is a small state, and I I have a good chance.
在1985年的某个时候,我收到通知,成为六名最终候选人之一。
Sometime in the '85, I got notification that I was one of the six finalists.
我和这些最终候选人一起,在教育部大楼向评审委员会进行了展示。
And I, along with those finalists, met at a Department of Education building, and we presented to a committee.
那是我第一次,也是唯一一次见到克里斯塔。
That was the first and only time that I ever met Christa.
她非常热情,开心又迷人。
And she was just effusive, know, she was happy and charming.
你知道,我们六个人都坐在这个房间里。
You know, we we're all sitting, six of us, in this room.
对吧?
Right?
我当时特别认真,因为我要把申请材料里所有想法都准备好,并且牢记在心。
And I was, like, really serious because I, you know, I wouldn't have all my my ideas that I had presented in my application ready and at the front of my brain.
但她只是很开心。
But she was just happy.
她特别棒的地方在于,她打算写日记。
And the beauty of hers was she was going to keep a diary.
她只是想分享自己的感受,这些感受对她意味着什么,以及它们可能如何影响学生。
She was just going to share her feelings and what those feelings meant to her and and how they might be able to impact students.
它的美妙之处就在于简单。
The beauty of it was its simplicity.
1985年。
The '85.
所以,在她被选中之后,事情才真正开始推进。
So that was when things really got going after she had been selected.
那时,我们只是等待着预定在1月22日的重大的日子。
And, at that point, we just waited for the big day, which was supposed to be January 22.
对我而言,1月22日有着不同的意义。
Strangely enough, for me, January 22 has a different meaning.
我的女儿摩根就是在那天出生的。
My daughter Morgan was born on that day.
那天,我对克里斯塔·麦考利芙的这次经历并没有那么兴奋,但之后的日子里,一次又一次的推迟发生了。
And I wasn't quite as excited about the Krista McAuliffe experience that day, but then as the days went on after that, and there was one postponement after another after another.
我记得当时和学生们在教室里观看,飞行开始73秒后,我就知道不对劲了。
I remember watching with my students in the classroom, and seventy three seconds into the flight, I knew it wasn't right.
我知道她和另外几位宇航员已经不在了。
I knew that she and the other astronauts were gone.
我知道那个晚上,许多宇航员的家庭将永远无法像我那样,抱着我怀中的亲人——我刚出生的女儿摩根。
And I knew that night that there were going to be a lot of families of the astronauts who were never gonna get to hold as I was holding my loved one, Morgan, my brand new daughter in my arms that night.
这太悲伤了。
It was so sad.
那天晚上,我抱着她,看着新闻中反复播放的那七十三秒。
And I I was holding her that evening as I watched on the news the reruns of those seventy three seconds.
那个晚上,当我抱着摩根时,有两个词不断在我脑海中浮现。
The two words that just kept coming into my brain that night as I was holding Morgan.
六十五五零。
Sixty five five o.
TDL遭遇了。
TDL confronted.
发射序列的第七十秒。
Seventy seconds into the launch sequence.
挑战者号,加大推力。
Challenger, go with throttle up.
收到,加大推力。
Roger, go with throttle up.
或者加大推力。
Or throttle up.
我想起了克里斯塔的话。
And I thought about Christa's statement.
你知道,我触摸未来。
You know, I touch the future.
我教书。
I teach.
我是一名教师,但她的未来已经消失了。
I was a teacher, but her future was gone.
她再也无法触摸未来了。
She wasn't really going to be able to touch the future anymore.
当我看着我的女儿摩根时,我当场许下了一个誓言。
And as I looked at my daughter Morgan, I I made a vow right then and there.
我说过,我要做点什么来纪念这位女性,让我们这些教师和我们所引导、塑造的学生成为良好的公民和正直的人,能够在这个星球上拥有一个成功的未来。
I said, I am going to do something to honor the memory of this woman so that we, as teachers and our students, that we try to guide and mold into good human beings and good citizens, will be able to have a successful future on this planet.
我做到了。
And I did.
那是菲尔·布朗。
That was Phil Brown.
挑战者号灾难后,菲尔开发了一套让学生参与研究的课程,被NASA采用。
After the Challenger disaster, Phil developed a curriculum to conduct research with students that was used by NASA.
这个项目遍及东北部,最终扩展到全世界。
This program spread across the Northeast and eventually across the world.
本系列故事《纪念克里斯塔》由NHPR的帕特里克·麦克南伊·金制作。
This series of stories, Remembering Christa, was produced by NHPR's Patrick McNamey King.
您可以在我们的节目说明中找到原始故事和系列其他内容的链接,也可访问nhpr.org。
You can find links to the original stories and the rest of the series in our show notes and at nhpr.org.
本系列由玛丽·麦金太尔编辑。
This series was edited by Mary McIntyre.
展开剩余字幕(还有 13 条)
特别感谢艾米丽·奎克和里克·甘利在档案工作中的贡献,他们检索并数字化了磁带录音;同时感谢罗杰·伍德提供其新闻播报的音频。
Special thanks to Emily Quirk and Rick Ganley for archival work, retrieving and digitizing reel to reels, and to Roger Wood for providing audio of his newscasts.
也感谢金·布利尔和梅丽莎·爱德华兹。
Thanks also to Kim Bleier and Melissa Edwards.
如果您有关于克里斯塔、她的遗产,或挑战者号灾难的记忆,欢迎通过电子邮件分享给我们:outsideinnhpr dot org。
If you have memories of Christa, her legacy, or you were impacted by the Challenger disaster, you can share them with us via email at outsideinnhpr dot org.
《Outside In》团队成员包括玛丽娜·汉克、菲利克斯·潘、贾斯汀·帕拉迪斯和杰西卡·亨特。
Outside In staff includes Marina Hanke, Felix Poon, Justine Paradis, and Jessica Hunt.
泰勒·奎姆比是我们节目的执行制片人。
Taylor Quimby is our executive producer.
丽贝卡·拉沃伊是我们播客部门的总监。
Rebecca Lavoie is our director of podcasts.
我是您的主持人,内特·黑迪。
I'm your host, Nate Hedgie.
本集使用的音乐来自 Blue Dot Sessions 和 Epidemic Sound。
Music in this episode came from Blue Dot Sessions and Epidemic Sound.
《Outside In》由新罕布什尔公共广播电台制作。
Outside In is a production of New Hampshire Public Radio.
你好。
Hello.
我是杰克·威尔逊,《文学史》播客的主持人。
This is Jack Wilson, the host of the history of literature podcast.
过去十年里,我一直在与小说家、传记作家和学者们探讨世界历史上最伟大的书籍以及创作它们的男女作家,比如我们最近关于《但丁之爱》、10部印度经典作品入门指南、影响西尔维娅·普拉斯的流行文化,以及与科学家兼小说家艾伦·莱特曼关于自然奇观的对话。
For the past ten years, I've been talking to novelists, biographers, and scholars about the greatest books in the history of the world and the men and women who wrote them, like our recent episodes on Dante in Love, a starter pack of 10 Indian classics, the pop culture that influenced Sylvia Plath, and a talk with scientist and novelist Alan Lightman about the wonders of nature.
欢迎在您收听播客的平台订阅《文学史》播客。
Join us at the History of Literature podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。