本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
喷上去。
Spray on.
喷上去。
Spray on.
住手,先生。
Stop, sir.
喷上去。
Spray on.
喷上去。
Spray on.
喷上去。
Spray on.
在BP石油泄漏事件之后,数千名渔民瞬间失去了生计。
In the aftermath of the BP oil spill, thousands of fishermen lost their livelihoods in an instant.
渔业被关闭,关闭,因为石油毒害并杀死了无数未知的海洋生物。
Fisheries were closed, shut down, as the oil poisoned and killed unknown multitudes of marine life.
如果你从这里过来,就能看到它。
If you come through here, you can see it.
不是表面,那里相当热。
Not surface, it's quite hot.
因此由于他们无法从事原本的生计,英国石油公司雇佣这些渔民来协助清理油污。
So because they couldn't earn their living of choice, BP hired these fishermen to help clean up the oil.
这个项目被称为'机遇之船',但我采访的每个人都称它为VUE或VUE计划。
This initiative was called the Vessels of Opportunity, but everyone I talked to called it VUE or the VUE program.
最初,他们的工作包括驾驶船只出海,采用人工方法试图围堵漏油。
Initially, their work involved driving their boats out onto the water and using manual methods to try to trap the oil.
但过了一段时间,他们在VUE计划中的工作性质发生了变化。
But after a while, the nature of their work in the VUE program changed.
我们本应只是上报情况而不直接处理太多。
We were supposed to just call it in and not really touch much.
对吧?
Right?
这是乔伊·耶克斯,一位加入Voo项目的商业渔民。
This is Joey Yerkes, a commercial fisherman who joined the Voo program.
乔伊住在佛罗里达州德斯廷的翡翠海岸。
Joey lived in Destin, Florida, on the Emerald Coast.
那是佛罗里达狭长地带一个长达100英里的度假胜地。
That's a 100 mile long vacation destination on the Florida Panhandle.
我们得上报,确保他们知道位置,记录航点坐标,登记日志,仅此而已。
We had to call it in, make sure they knew where it was, document the waypoints, log it, that was it.
他们会说,好的我们收到了,然后我们就继续巡逻寻找更多油污。
You know, they would say, okay, we got it, and, you know, we would drive around and find more.
这就是乔伊的日常工作内容。
So that's what Joey's workday became.
出海寻找油污,用无线电向主管报告位置,离开后再继续寻找更多油污。
Go out on the water, find oil, radio the location to supervisors, drive away, find more oil.
但他很好奇自己上报的浮油后来会怎样处理,直到他亲眼目睹了后续。
But he was curious to know what was happening to the oil slicks once he called them in and then he saw them.
他们正在用C-130喷洒它。
They were spraying it with c one thirties.
我们几乎每天都看到飞机在油污上喷洒Corexit。
We saw the planes spraying Corexit on the oil almost every day.
当你脑海中想象C-130时,别把它当成小型双翼飞机或农作物喷粉机。
When you picture a c one thirty in your head, don't think of a little biplane or a crop duster.
想象一下军用级别的,庞大而强壮的家伙。
Think of something military, big and muscular.
就像一架经常去健身房的波音737。
Like a seven thirty seven that spends a lot of time at the gym.
C-130会飞越海滩,冲向海洋消失,然后盘旋返回。
The c one thirties would come over the beach, fly out to the ocean, disappear, and then circle back.
Corexit是一种用于将油污分解成小液滴的化学剂,使其更容易生物降解,从海面消失,理想情况下不会到达海岸线。
Corexit is a chemical used to break up oil into smaller droplets so it can biodegrade more easily, disappear from the surface of the ocean, and ideally not reach coastlines.
联合指挥部喷洒了超过一百万加仑的这种化学剂。
Unified Command was spraying over a million gallons of it.
乔伊说Corexit似乎正如广告宣传的那样有效。
Joey said Corexit appeared to be working as advertised.
前一天油污还在,第二天就全部消散了。
The oil's there one day and the next day it's all dispersed.
仔细观察后,乔伊说有时油污会发生变化。
Looking closer, Joey said that sometimes the oil had changed.
他说油污颜色会改变,或者开始形成这些长长的泡沫线。
He said it would alter in color or start showing up in these long foam lines.
这些东西正在冲刷,你知道的,涌向德斯廷。
This is the stuff that was washing, you know, coming into Destin.
博士。
Doctor.
蒂森,飞越现场时你的印象如何?
Thiesen, what were your impressions flying over the site?
今天看起来相当干净。
Today, it looked quite clean.
看起来唯一的油污证据就在爆炸中心点附近。
Seemed like the only evidence of oil was around ground 0 itself.
这是海岸警卫队于2010年7月13日发布的视频,当时漏油事件已持续86天。
This is a video that the Coast Guard released on 07/13/2010, eighty six days into the spill.
视频中一位海岸警卫队官员与大西洋海岸历史学家共同出镜,基本上他们是在庆祝胜利。
It featured a Coast Guard official with an Atlantic Coast historian, and essentially, they're taking a victory lap.
过去几周似乎取得了很大进展。
It seems like a lot of progress has been made over the course of the past several weeks.
这无疑是这个漫长故事中具有历史意义的里程碑
So definitely a historic milestone in the in the in the story of the the long story of the
海岸警卫队。
Coast Guard.
这是一次巨大的应急响应行动。
It's been a tremendous response effort.
衷心希望这类事件不再发生,但我想我们已经吸取了很多教训,如果未来再发生类似事件,这些教训将会派上用场。
In all hopes, this will never happen again, but I think that a lot of lessons have been learned and those lessons will be put to use should there ever be anything like this again.
这段视频的基调可能让沿海居民感到困惑。
The tone of this video may have been confusing for coastal residents.
石油仍在冲刷海岸,渔业仍然关闭,井口也尚未封堵。
Oil was still washing onshore, fisheries were still closed, and the wellhead hadn't been shut.
我的公寓前的海滩上有死鱼和死亡的野生动物,而他们却告诉我们一切都很顺利。
There's dead fish, dead wildlife on my beach in front of my condo, and they're telling us that everything's great.
所以,你知道,有很多人表示反对,说你们错了。
So, you know, there was a lot of people that said, no, you're wrong.
情况并不乐观。
It's not great.
接下来将是一场关于由谁决定深水地平线事件何时结束的争论。
What's about to happen is a struggle over who gets to decide when the Deepwater Horizon story is over.
这里是来自Western Sound和APM Studios的丹·莱昂。
From Western Sound and APM Studios, I'm Dan Leone.
这里是《涟漪》。
This is Ripple.
好的
Good
大家早上好。
morning, everybody.
我想向大家简要汇报一下墨西哥湾的现状。
I want to give everyone a quick update on the situation in The Gulf.
众所周知,本周早些时候英国石油公司的油井上安装了一个新的封盖。
As we all know, a new cap was fitted over the BP oil well earlier this week.
7月16日,也就是海岸警卫队视频发布三天后,奥巴马总统就新的井口封盖向公众发表了讲话。
On July 16, three days after that coast guard video, President Obama addressed the public about a new wellhead cap.
而之前所有其他封盖都失败了
And where all the other caps had failed
这个新封盖及在墨西哥湾部署的额外设备将能每天容纳多达8万桶原油,使我们能在油井被封堵前捕获几乎所有泄漏原油。
This new cap and the additional equipment being placed in The Gulf will be able to contain up to 80,000 barrels a day, which should allow us to capture nearly all the oil until the well is killed.
现在他们终于能够阻止所有原油从井口喷涌而出了。
So now, they were finally able to stop all the oil surging out of the wellhead.
这几乎完全消除了泄漏到墨西哥湾的新原油量。
This almost entirely eliminated the amount of new oil spilling into The Gulf.
你可能会认为这会让渔民们——现在的VU工人——松一口气。
You might expect that would come as a relief to the fishermen, now VU workers.
但在这些公告发布后不久,一些工人,尤其是佛罗里达州的工人,发现他们的处境变得更加岌岌可危,
But soon after these announcements were made, some workers, particularly in Florida, found their situation more precarious,
而非好转。
not less.
他们从项目中撤走了不少船只,那是在七月底。
They removed quite a few boats from the program, and that was in late July.
包括乔伊在内的VU船只突然被停用,从清理石油的工作中解雇了。
VU boats, including Joey's, were suddenly deactivated, laid off from cleaning up the oil.
从乔伊的角度看,佛罗里达狭长地带疯狂地急于恢复表面常态。
From Joey's point of view, there was a mad urgency in the Florida Panhandle to restore the appearance of normalcy.
翡翠海岸正遭受重创。
The Emerald Coast was badly hurting.
那是个夏天。
This was the summer.
本该是旅游旺季的高峰期。
It was supposed to be the height of tourist season.
但游客们正在大规模取消行程。
But tourists were canceling trips en masse.
他们对在发生大规模漏油事件的地点度假毫无兴趣。
They weren't interested in vacationing at the site of a colossal oil spill.
他们想尽快让游客重返海滩。
And they wanted to get the tourists back on the beaches as quick as possible.
所以我们的市长和地方政府撤销了海滩警告,尽管沙子里仍有油块和原油。
So our mayor and our local government had lifted the warnings from the beaches despite there still being oil tarballs, oil under the sand.
我是说,当时他们还在播放这些视频宣称一切正常。
I mean, then they were running these videos saying, okay.
我们要解除海滩和水域的禁令了。
We're gonna lift the bands off the beaches and the water.
我们要让所有人都回来。
We're gonna let everybody come back.
耶。
Yay.
当我采访乔伊时,他有一叠2010年收集的文件、图片和视频光盘。
When I interviewed Joey, he had a stack of CD ROMs with documents, pictures, and videos he compiled from 2010.
其中一张光盘里有这些旅游宣传视频。
One of the discs had these tourism videos.
欢迎来到佛罗里达翡翠海岸,这里包括德斯坦市、沃尔顿堡滩市和我们美丽的奥卡鲁萨岛。
Welcome to the Emerald Coast Of Florida, which includes the cities of Destin, Fort Walton Beach, and our beautiful Okaloosa Island.
今天是2010年7月19日。
Today is 07/19/2010.
本周末有少量焦油球被冲上奥卡鲁萨岛的一小片区域,但工作人员迅速到场清理完毕。
This weekend, we had a few tarballs wash up on a small portion of Okaloosa Island, but the crews were on scene quickly and the tarballs have been cleaned up.
目前没有健康警告,我们的海滩仍然开放。
There are no health advisory warnings and our beaches are still open.
这段视频的主持人正站在一家度假酒店的室外泳池旁。
The host of this video is standing by an outdoor pool at a resort hotel.
孩子们跳进泳池,水花四溅。
Kids are jumping in, splashing around.
快速切换的蒙太奇展现了宁静的海景和出海的渔船。
There's a quick montage of idyllic ocean views and fishing boats out on the water.
我期待在沙滩上与您相见。
And I look forward to seeing you on our beaches.
我问乔伊对这次宣传活动的看法。
I asked Joey for his reaction to the campaign.
我觉得都是胡扯。
I think it's bullshit.
你觉得是胡扯?
You think it's bullshit?
对。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
我是说,当你看到小孩子在水里玩耍,而水面上漂着油怎么办,孩子们还在里面玩,这正常吗?
I mean, when you when you see little kids playing in the water and it's got oil on it and the kids are playing in it, Is that normal?
你刚才说什么
What did you
这画面有什么问题?
What's wrong with that picture?
这个信息传达的是,你认为他们应该
The message to be, what do you think that they should
呃,我不,我不
Well, I don't I don't
认为他们不该在清理油污怎么办的时候开放海滩。
think they shoulda opened the beaches when they were still cleaning up the oil.
我觉得我们也不该吃那些海鲜。
I don't think we shoulda been eating the seafood either.
我是说,得了吧。
I mean, come on.
七月时,美国国家海洋和大气管理局(NOAA)正在对海产品进行化学检测。
In July, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NOAA, was performing chemical testing on seafood.
如果鱼类通过了检测,渔场就会重新开放。
And if the fish passed their tests, fisheries were reopened.
但那时候,你们还能捕鱼吗?
But at that point, could you could you fish?
你们能回到原来的工作状态吗?
Could you go back to doing what you were doing?
所以他们告诉我们没问题,但根据我们看到的实际情况,并非如此。
So they were telling us yes, but based on what we saw, no.
我可没打算回去工作。
I wasn't about to go back to work.
至少那时候绝对不行。
Not not at least not then.
对吧?
Right?
因为当时水里和海湾里还有太多石油和焦油球,根本没法考虑撒网捕鱼。
Because it was it was there was way too much oil and tarballs still in the water and in the bay to even think about throwing a cast net.
渔场的重新开放给渔民带来了这种道德困境。
The reopening of fisheries presented this ethical dilemma for fishermen.
政府官员告诉他们,捕捞、销售和食用这些海鲜是安全的。
They were being told by government officials that the seafood was safe to catch, sell, and consume.
但渔民亲眼所见的情况却与此相反。
But what the fishermen were seeing with their own eyes told them differently.
乔伊对卖鱼感到不安,他也不相信海岸线对度假者来说是安全的。
Joey didn't feel comfortable selling fish and he wasn't convinced that the shorelines were safe for vacationers.
那时,他住在 在德斯廷的一间公寓里,就在海滩边上。
At the time, he lived in a condo in Destin, right on the beach.
乔伊从Voo退役后,会站在他的露台上,看着游客们回来。
Deactivated from Voo, Joey would stand on his patio, overlooking the return of tourists.
你知道,看到人们在水里游泳,你会想冲上去告诉他们,快出来。
You know, you see people in the water swimming and you wanna run up there and tell them, get out.
请离开水里。
Please get out of the water.
我不能走到海滩上告诉那些花钱来度假的人离开水里。
And I can't go up to people on the beach and tell them to get out of the water that spend money on a vacation to come down.
你不能那么做。
You can't do that.
你知道,我是说,住在那里的人处境危险。
You know, I mean, that lived there was in jeopardy.
这东西到处都是。
This stuff was everywhere.
它在空气中。
It was in the air.
你每天都能闻到它的味道。
You could smell it every day.
要知道,并不是非得参与VU项目才会暴露在这种环境中。
You know, it's not like you had to be in the VU program to be exposed.
那时整个世界都炸开了锅。
And that's when kind of the whole world blew up.
对吧?
Right?
在整个对话过程中,你们会不断听到‘统一指挥部’、‘统一指挥部’。
Throughout this whole conversation, you keep hearing unified command, unified command.
这意味着至少由海岸警卫队、环保署和环保署代表组成的应急指挥中心。
What that means is that there's there's an incident command that's made up of Coast Guard, EPA, and EPA representatives at the very least.
乔伊·耶克斯在2010年8月初参加了统一指挥部代表与被裁撤的VOO项目工人之间的会议。
Joey Yerkes attended a meeting in early August two thousand ten between reps from Unified Command and the VOO workers who were being cut from the program.
观众们坐在海岸警卫队中校戴尔·沃格尔桑面前。
An audience is seated in front of coast guard lieutenant commander Dale Vogelsang.
他穿着制服,手持麦克风,来回踱步讲话。
He's in uniform, holding a mic, pacing, speaking.
这段视频由人群中一名成员拍摄,尚不清楚沃格尔桑是否知道自己被录影。
This video was captured by a member of the crowd, and it's unclear if Vogelsang is aware he's being recorded.
乔伊将这段录音保存了十三年,作为会议中所述事项的证据。
Joey kept a copy of this recording for thirteen years as evidence of things that were stated in the meeting.
工人们表示难以置信。
The workers are incredulous.
我可以带这里的任何一个人去后面,每天都能指给他们看那些该死的油污。
I can take anybody out here in this group and show them oil every single freaking day in the back.
工人们说油污到处都是。
Workers are saying there's oil everywhere.
他们在泡沫线中发现了油污。
They're seeing oil in foam lines.
他们看到焦油球在水下翻滚,就像'风滚草'一样。
They're seeing tarballs rolling under the water like, quote, tumbleweeds.
另一个严重争议点是,VU工人表示在他们被解雇的同时,其他被称为'外地船只'的船却被调来参与漏油清理工作。
Another serious point of contention is that the VU workers say that at the same time they're being laid off, other boats, what they called out of town boats, were being brought in to work on the spill.
福格尔桑对此没有异议,他承认情况确实如此。
Vogelsang doesn't contest this, he acknowledges that's the case.
所以工人们实际上是在说,如果因为可清理的石油不足而解雇我们,那为什么还要雇佣这些其他船只?
So essentially, the workers are saying, if we're being laid off because there's not enough oil to clean up, then why are you hiring these other boats?
他们在做什么?
What are they doing?
他们拥有超乎寻常的专业技能。
They have specialized skills above and beyond.
这是错误的。
That's wrong.
福格尔桑解释说,那些外地船只具备专业功能。
Vogelsang explains that the out of town boats are specialized.
VU工人们表示,我们正在查看那些船只。
The VU workers are saying, we're looking at the boats.
它们看起来并不特别。
They don't look special.
它们有什么特别之处?
How are they specialized?
好的。
Okay.
我们发现的问题之一是,没有足够的VU人员接受过识别训练——那是个沥青球吗?
One of the issues we found is not enough VU folks were trained to identify is it is that a tarball?
是的,先生。
Yes, sir.
我猜是的。
I'm guessing.
那是什么?
What is that?
沃格尔桑表示,渔民们可能难以准确识别水中的沥青球。
Vogelsang says that the fishermen might be struggling to accurately identify tarballs in the water.
这个建议在房间里引起了强烈不满。
And this suggestion goes over very poorly in the room.
拜托,老兄。
Come on, man.
饶了我吧。
Give me a break.
咱们实话实说吧。
Let's be real with you.
当
When
乔伊和我一起在他客厅看这段视频时,他告诉我他认为这些特殊船只2010年实际上在干什么。
Joey and I watched this video together in his living room, he told me what he believes these specialized boats were actually up to back in 2010.
所以它们是更大的铝制船。
So they were bigger aluminum boats.
船上有个大塑料罐,它们会出现并喷洒。
They had a big plastic tank on them and they would show up and spray.
我们确实有时看到它们在喷洒。
We actually saw them spraying at times.
在参与Voo项目期间,乔伊说他看到这些外地船只向水面喷洒看似分散剂的物质。
While working on the Voo program, Joey says he saw these out of town boats spraying the water with what looked like dispersant.
他说这些船基本上尾随着Voo船只,对石油进行喷洒处理。
He said the boats were basically following the Voo boats and spraying the oil.
所以我们终于得知了内情。
So we finally got privy to it.
我们说,你们懂的,我们知道他们要去喷洒我们刚发现的油污让它消失。
We said, you know, we know they're gonna go spray what we just found so it goes away.
我们必须抓住他们。
We need to catch them.
于是我们行动了。
So we did.
有几次我们故意通报航点坐标,离开该区域后又折返拍摄,果然发现那些人就在那些航点位置。
There were a couple times where we would we called in the waypoint, left the area, turned around, and shot back, and sure enough, those guys were there at those waypoints.
所以你知道,我们并没有直接靠近他们。
So, you know, we didn't roll up close to them.
我们不想发生任何对抗或类似情况,但那时事实摆在眼前,我们只能承认。
We didn't want any confrontation, anything like that, but that's when two and two hit, and we said, okay.
所以在清理过程中,船只和飞机确实都使用了Corexit分散剂。
So it is true that during the cleanup, boats applied Corexit as well as airplanes.
但乔伊在此的指控与BP代表在社区会议上声称的内容仍难以调和。
But it's still hard to rectify what Joey's claiming here with what a representative from BP claimed at that community meeting.
我可以明确表示佛罗里达水域没有使用分散剂。
I can state there's no dispersion being used in Florida waters.
关于这个信息,让我们看看。
And concerning the information, let's see.
真的吗?
Was Really?
这是事实吗?
Is that a fact?
这是事实吗?
Is that a fact?
那是乔伊·耶克斯在会上对英国石油公司代表大声反驳。
That's Joey Yerkes at the meeting, shouting back at the BP rep.
那位代表说,'佛罗里达水域没有喷洒分散剂'。
The rep says, there's no dispersant being sprayed, quote, in Florida waters.
也许他在谨慎措辞。
Maybe he's choosing his words carefully.
也许他故意留有余地,暗示这些船只可能在联邦水域喷洒。
Maybe he's leaving open that these boats could be spraying in federal waters.
或许喷洒确实在这次会议前停止了,他说的都是事实。
Maybe the spraying did stop right before this meeting and what he's saying is accurate.
这很难判断。
It's hard to know.
除了叫停分散剂使用外,英国石油公司代表还直接反驳了关于仍有大量油污待清理的报道。
In addition to putting the kibosh on dispersants, the BP rep directly disputes reports that there is still a lot of oil to be cleaned.
我看到报道说,那些被描述为缓慢渗出的油污。
I saw the reports that, you know, what was reported as oil seeping up low.
BP代表声称他、环保署和海岸警卫队曾出海调查关于泡沫线或水下分散油的报告。
The BP rep claims he, the EPA, and the Coast Guard went out onto the water to investigate reports of foam lines or dispersed oil under the surface.
他说他们采集了样本,并由环保署及其他机构进行了评估。
He says they collected samples, which were assessed by the EPA and others.
我们那天看到的并非
What we saw that day was not
可回收的石油。
recoverable oil.
那不是
It was not oil that is
天啊。
Oh my god.
来自深水地平线的物质。
Something that came from Deepwater Horizon.
现在
Now
他表示专家们认定那不是石油,也与漏油事件无关。
He says the experts determined that it wasn't oil and that it wasn't something that originated with the spill.
在另一起调查中,鱼类和野生动物委员会的一名官员判定,某些人认为是石油的物质。
In another investigation, a Fish and Wildlife Commission officer determined that what some people thought was oil.
经检测发现是有机物。
It was found to be organic.
经检测发现是藻类物质。
It was found to be, algae based material.
这
The
英国石油公司代表声称,你们以为是石油的东西其实不是。
BP rep is saying, what you think is oil isn't.
那是藻类。
It's algae.
我能就我们看到的这些泡沫线快速发表一点看法吗?
May I make just one comment real quick about these foam lines that we're seeing?
因为就在周五,我亲眼所见。
Because on Friday, I saw it with my own two eyes.
那架C130在离岸不到半英里的甲板上降落,从机尾喷洒出来。
The c one thirty dropped to the deck at no more than a half a mile offshore and sprayed out of the back of that plane.
所以别告诉我那些泡沫线上的东西不是石油。
So don't tell me that that stuff in that foam line is not oil.
那是来自地平线事故的石油,不管它是分散的还是什么,已经风化变质了。
It is oil from the horizon site, whether it's dispersed or whatever it is, weathered.
我不管你们怎么称呼它。
I don't care what you wanna call it.
它就在这里。
It's here.
它已经进入我们的海湾。
It's in our bays.
如果你们做了检测,我要看结果,在座的每个人都想看。
And if you made tests of it, I wanna see the results and so does everybody else in this room.
你就站在那里告诉我,我们正在清理的那些东西现在不是石油了?
You're gonna stand there and tell me that oil that we're cleaning up is not oil now?
当我过去十二年来每天都在这些本地水域工作,除了深水地平线事件发生后,我从未见过这种情况?
When I work here every day of my life for the last twelve years in these local waters, and I don't see that except for after since the Deepwater Horizon event happened?
你是想告诉我那些东西只是以藻类形式突然出现?
You telling me that just showed up in algae form?
突然间就凭空冒出来了?
All of a sudden, it came out of nowhere?
我不这么认为。
I don't think so.
那就是石油。
That's oil.
如果你们检测过,我要看结果。
If you tested it, I wanna see it.
我在这次会议上听到的并不是两个群体各说各话的情况。
What I'm listening to in this meeting is not a case of two groups just talking past one another.
这些并非误解。
These aren't misunderstandings.
这也不是情绪宣泄的场合。
It's also not a venting session.
这是对基本现实的两种根本不同认知。
It's two fundamentally different versions of basic realities.
对于2010年7月翡翠海岸发生的事,这两个群体几乎在所有问题上都存在分歧。
These two groups agree on almost nothing about what was happening on the Emerald Coast in July 2010.
无论如何,这些清洁工人最终败诉了。
Regardless, these cleanup workers lost the fight.
他们在VU项目中的角色就此终结,乔伊·耶克西斯的生涯也随之结束。
Their role in the VU program was over, and so was Joey Yerkeses.
从全国范围来看,2010年英国石油公司、海岸警卫队和奥巴马政府口径高度一致。
Zooming out nationally, in the 2010, BP, the Coast Guard, and the Obama administration spoke with harmony.
他们传递的信息是乐观的。
The message was optimism.
好消息是,新的防喷器已就位,油井目前已被封住,没有石油泄漏。
So the good news is, the new cap's in place, the well is shut in for now, there's no oil leaking.
墨西哥湾沿岸的所有海滩都已清理干净,安全无虞,并重新开放营业。
Beaches all along the Gulf Coast are clean, they are safe, and they are open for business.
这也是米歇尔、萨莎和我来到这里的原因之一。
That's one of the reasons Michelle, Sasha, and I are here.
8月14日,白宫发布了一张奥巴马总统与女儿在佛罗里达州鳄鱼角水域游泳的照片。
On August 14, the White House released a photograph of President Obama swimming in the waters of Alligator Point, Florida with his daughter.
州长、市长和其他人邀请我们来享受海滩和水域,让美国同胞知道他们应该来这里。
The governor and the mayors and others invited us down to enjoy the beach and the water, to let our fellow Americans know that they should come on down here.
这里景色壮丽。
It is spectacular.
不仅是为了支持这个地区,来这里是因为它本身就是个美丽的旅游胜地。
Not just to support the region, come down here because it's just a beautiful place to visit.
对此情况的一种客观解读可能是:旅游收入的损失被认为比那些被视为微乎其微的安全风险更为重要。
A clinical reading of what might have been going on here is that the loss of tourism dollars was determined to be more important than what were perceived as minimal safety risks.
在整个漏油事件期间,政府机构和英国石油公司持续对海产品、空气和水质进行检测,
Throughout the spill, government agencies and BP are running tests on the seafood, the air, the water, and this data is analyzed by risk assessors.
这些数据由风险评估专家进行分析。
They evaluate danger, predict consequences, and establish risk using formulas.
他们评估危险程度,预测后果,并通过公式计算风险值。
If the risk exceeds a certain level, conditions are unsafe.
若风险超过特定阈值,则判定环境不安全。
If risk is below a certain level, conditions are safe enough.
若风险低于特定标准,则视为足够安全。
I asked Joey what he thought about this tug of war between safety and economics.
当我询问乔伊如何看待这种安全与经济之间的拉锯战时,
He just started shaking his head.
他只是不停地摇头。
I mean, it's just it's not right.
我的意思是,这根本不对。为了旅游收入而牺牲人命是不对的。
It's not right to sacrifice humans for tourist dollars.
这根本不对。
It's just not right.
2010年9月19日,井喷事故发生153天后,海军上将泰德·艾伦宣布该油井已彻底封死。
On 09/19/2010, a hundred and fifty three days after the blowout, the wellhead was declared effectively dead by Admiral Thad Allen.
从字面意义上说,漏油事件已经结束了。
The oil spill, in the literal sense, was over.
但沿海居民与联合指挥部之间仍存在巨大紧张关系。
But a tremendous tension remained between coastal residents and unified command.
英国石油公司、海岸警卫队和奥巴马政府开始用过去时态谈论此事。
BP, the Coast Guard, and the Obama administration began speaking in the past tense.
他们承认墨西哥湾未来仍有重要工作要做,但已开始着手起草事故报告和事后分析。
They acknowledged that there was important work to be done in The Gulf going forward, but they were advancing towards drafting accident reports and postmortems.
他们谈论的语气仿佛深水地平线事件即使尚未结束,至少也接近尾声。
They spoke as though the Deepwater Horizon story was, if not ended, at least ending.
许多墨西哥湾居民认为深水地平线事件远未结束。
A lot of residents on The Gulf felt the Deepwater Horizon story was far from over.
他们希望明确了解石油、分散剂以及两者的长期影响。
They wanted clarity on the oil, the dispersants, the long term effects of both.
他们要求对生态系统造成的损害进行赔偿。
They wanted compensation for the damage done to the ecosystem.
对他们而言,石油泄漏是现在时态的问题,他们希望公众持续关注。
For them, the oil spill was a present tense issue and they wanted the public to remain engaged.
但经过五个月的严密关注后,联合指挥部可能并不介意公众将注意力转移到其他事情上。
But after five months of scrutiny, unified command may not have minded if the public's attention moved on to something else.
在这一点上,他们比沿海居民拥有明显优势,因为总有其他事情可以转移注意力。
And on that, they had the clear advantage over the coastal residents because there's always something else to move on to.
显然是纯粹的侦查工作导致了昨晚关于奥萨马·本·拉登被美国军事小组击毙的新闻。
It was apparently pure detective work that led to last night's news of the death of Osama bin Laden at the hands of an American military team.
美国驻利比亚大使及其他三名外交官在班加西的抗议活动中遇害。
US ambassador to Libya and three other diplomats have been killed in protests in Benghazi.
宗教极端分子消费者监督机构开始对日益壮大的占领华尔街运动表示支持。
Religious extremist Consumer watchdogs are starting to lend their support to the growing Occupy Wall Street movement.
警方确认昨晚科罗拉多州奥罗拉市枪击案的被拘留者为詹姆斯·霍尔姆斯。
Man in custody for last night's shooting in Aurora, Colorado was identified by police as James Holmes.
今晨我们不断听到,我认为,
Throughout this morning, we heard, I believe,
这就是他的罪行。
this is his crime.
这
The
BP石油泄漏事件从全国新闻中消失了整整两年。
BP oil spill mostly disappeared from national news for two full years.
但随后,奥巴马政府还有最后一个故事要讲述。
But then, the Obama administration had one final story to tell.
广告之后继续。
That's after the break.
我们马上回来。
We'll be right back.
深水地平线钻井平台沉没后,平台上11名船员的死亡成为报道焦点。
After the Deepwater Horizon sank, the deaths of the 11 crewmen on the rig were the focus of the story.
但随着一场前所未有的生态灾难刚刚开始,这一焦点被打断。
But that was interrupted as it became clear that an unprecedented ecological disaster was just beginning.
受保护物种的栖息地正被石油淹没。
The habitats of protected species were being flooded with oil.
浑身沾满原油的鹈鹕、海豚、海龟垂死挣扎的画面被广泛传播。
Images of pelicans, dolphins, turtles covered in crude oil dying were broadcast far and wide.
在我们开始之前,你对这次采访提了一个条件。
Before we started, you had one condition on doing this interview.
是的。
I did.
这位是基思·琼斯。
This is Keith Jones.
他的儿子戈登在井喷事故中遇难。
His son Gordon died in the blowout.
是什么条件?
What is that condition?
我的条件是必须向你们的观众说明,英国石油公司已对11项过失杀人指控认罪。
The condition I had was that I would get to tell your audience that BP plead guilty to 11 counts of manslaughter.
英国石油公司已同意对全部14项刑事指控认罪,包括对11人死亡事件及导致史无前例环境灾难的事故承担责任。
BP has agreed to plead guilty to all 14 criminal charges, including responsibility for the deaths of 11 people and the events that led to an unprecedented environmental catastrophe.
2012年,司法部长埃里克·霍尔德宣布联邦政府已与英国石油公司达成和解协议,列明了该公司将认罪的一系列罪行。
At the 2012, attorney general Eric Holder announced that the federal government had reached a settlement agreement with BP, laying out a series of crimes that BP would be pleading guilty to.
11项过失杀人重罪、违反《清洁水法》和《候鸟条约法》的罪行,以及1项妨碍司法公正的重罪。
11 counts of felony manslaughter, violations of the Clean Water and Migratory Bird Treaty Acts, one count of felony obstruction of justice.
其中那项妨碍司法公正的指控源于美国国会(包括马萨诸塞州众议员埃德·马基)对流入墨西哥湾的实际原油量的调查。
That single count of obstruction of justice stemmed from an inquiry by the US Congress, including Massachusetts Congressman Ed Markey, into just how much oil was actually surging into The Gulf.
英国石油公司已对向国会提供虚假证词认罪,他们在油井泄漏量问题上对我撒了谎。
BP has pled guilty to obstruction of Congress for lying to me about the amount of oil that was flowing out of the well.
事实证明,当英国石油公司向国会声称每天仅泄漏5000桶原油时,其内部数据显示实际泄漏量高达6万桶。
It turns out that when BP was telling Congress only 5,000 barrels a day were spilling from the wellhead, their own internal data showed that number was upwards of 60,000.
司法部长埃里克·霍尔德也向美国人民明确表示,政府确实让英国石油公司承担了经济责任。
Attorney General Eric Holder also made clear to the American people, the administration made good on holding BP financially accountable.
该公司还同意支付40亿美元的罚款和罚金。
The company has also agreed to pay $4,000,000,000 in fines and in penalties.
这既是美国历史上最大单笔刑事罚款(超过12.5亿美元),也是总金额最高的刑事和解方案(40亿美元)。
This marks both the largest single criminal fine, more than $1,250,000,000, and the largest total criminal resolution, $4,000,000,000 in the history of The United States.
他们宣判时我正在联邦法院。
I was in federal court when they did it.
我对判决提出了异议。
I objected to the sentence.
我认为处罚力度不够。
I didn't think it was severe enough.
除了对14项刑事指控认罪外,数千起其他民事诉讼让英国石油公司付出了更大代价。
In addition to pleading guilty to 14 criminal charges, thousands of other civil claims cost BP even more money.
这次漏油事件最终让该公司损失了约700亿美元,甚至更多。
The spill ultimately cost the company somewhere in the ballpark of $70,000,000,000, if not more.
但BP对过失杀人罪的认罪并未达到基思·琼斯预期的效果。
But BP pleading guilty to manslaughter didn't quite make the impact Keith Jones expected.
他正带着某种个人使命来纠正这一点。
He's on something of a personal mission to correct that.
BP已成功压制了那些信息。
BP has successfully suppressed that information.
那本来可以成为新闻的,但
It was a it was a news item not
没
on
能登上头版,而且我不知道他们怎么做到的。
the front page one day and and I don't know how they do it.
他们很擅长这份工作。
They're good at their job.
我这么说是因为这事没进入公众视野。
I'll say that because it was not in the public eye.
所以只要有机会,我就会说出来。
So every chance I get to say it, I do.
而且我告诉的人越多,知道BP承认过失杀人罪的人就越多。
And the more people I get to say it to then the more people know that BP plead guilty to a living counts of manslaughter.
这对你意味着什么?
What does that mean to you?
他们承认了什么?
What did they admit?
这意味着他们是罪犯,他们犯下了一系列代价极其高昂的错误。
It means that they were criminals that that it was a very expensive series of mistakes that they made.
所有错误都是为了省钱而导致的。
All the mistakes were driven by wanting to save money.
你知道,这让他们损失了数十亿美元。
You know, cost them billions of dollars.
我明白这一点。
I get that.
然而,没有人像我的儿子戈登和其他10名遇难者那样付出如此惨重的代价,只因BP公司想省几个钱。
Nobody, however, paid the consequences quite as much as my son Gordon and the other 10 men who died because BP wanted to save a few bucks.
我好奇基思在这长达数月阻止石油泄漏的艰难时期是如何度过的。
I wondered what life was like for Keith during this months long ordeal to stop the leaking oil.
事实证明,他一直在努力工作。
It turns out, he was hard at work.
那段时期,我竭尽全力推动国会修订《公海死亡法案》。
What I was doing during that time was everything I could to try to get Congress to pass laws to amend the Death on the High Seas Act.
在某些情况下,若死亡事件发生在近海船只上,《公海死亡法案》会限制遇难者家属可获得的赔偿金额。
In some circumstances, if a death occurs on a vessel offshore, the Death on the High Seas Act limits the damages a victim's family is entitled to.
当戈登·琼斯在'深水地平线'事故中遇难时,他的妻子米歇尔正怀着身孕。
When Gordon Jones died on the Deepwater Horizon, his wife, Michelle, was pregnant.
他们的儿子马克西米利安在几周后出生。
Their son, Maximilian, was born a few weeks later.
孙子出生后,基思担心根据《公海死亡法案》,马克西米利安将无权获得其父亲死亡的赔偿。
After his grandson's birth, Keith was concerned that under the Death on the High Seas Act, Maximilian wouldn't be entitled to compensation for his father's death.
展开剩余字幕(还有 300 条)
基思认为这不公平,所以他去了华盛顿特区游说国会。
Keith thought this was unfair, so he went to Washington DC and lobbied Congress.
他就这么直接去了。
He just kinda showed up.
通常你需要预约,但这是美国很长一段时间内最重大的议题。
Usually, you make an appointment, but it was the biggest issue in The United States Of America for a pretty prolonged period.
他们不想成为那个——无论是男人还是女人——说没时间见我的人。
And they didn't want to be the guy, man or woman, who said they didn't have time for me.
他们不想成为那样的人
They didn't wanna be that person.
2010年5月27日,基思在国会前发表声明并陈述了他的案情
On 05/27/2010, Keith gave a statement before congress and plead his case.
请相信我,再多的金钱也无法弥补我们失去戈登的损失
Please believe me, no amount of money will ever compensate us for Gordon's loss.
我们明白这一点
We know that.
但在这个国家,让犯错者支付赔偿金是我们唯一能解决问题的方式。
But payment of damages by wrongdoers is the only means we have in this country to make things right.
你必须确保他们感受到痛苦,而唯一能让他们痛的地方就是他们的银行账户。
You must make certain they're exposed to pain and the only place they can feel it, their bank accounts.
正如一位朋友最近所说,要让他们在有心的地方感到痛——如果他们有心的话。
As a friend recently said, make them hurt where their heart would be if they had a heart.
他的陈述可能产生了影响,因为一项修正《公海死亡法案》的议案已在众议院获得通过。
His statement might have had an impact because a bill to amend the Death on the High Seas Act passed the House of Representatives.
但要想成为法律,它还必须通过参议院的审议。
But it would have to get through the Senate in order to become law.
值得去华盛顿走一趟,就沿着众议院办公楼的长廊走一走,那里是所有议员及其幕僚办公的地方。
It's worth it to visit Washington and just walk down the halls of one of the House office buildings where all the congressmen have their offices and where their staffs have their offices and so forth.
最好先走那一栋。
Better that you do that one first.
然后再去参议院办公楼,那里要安静得多。
Then go to a senate office building, where things are much quieter.
在参议院,基思和他的法案突然遭遇了一股强大的阻力——程序问题。
In the senate, Keith and his bill were suddenly up against a powerful force, logistics.
当时参议员哈里·里德是参议院领袖,我们的法案本已准备好列入议程,但实在没有空档。
Senator Harry Reid was the leader of the senate at the time and our bill was ready to be put on the calendar but there was no room for it.
里德参议员必须撤下一项会影响数百万人的法案才行。
Senator Reid would have had to take a bill down that would affect millions of people.
该法案已被缩减为仅影响深水地平线遇难者家属的条款。
The bill had been whittled down to a piece of legislation that only would have affected the families of those who died on Deepwater.
再无他人。
No one else.
我不可能要求他撤下那些重要法案,就为了这项仅涉及11个家庭的法案。
I wasn't about to ask him to take one of those bills down so that so that this bill affecting 11 families.
因为最终这个法案被严格限定在深水地平号事故的遇难者范围内。
Because in the end, that was it was limited strictly to the victims of the Deepwater Horizon.
国会就是会做这种事。
Congress does stuff like that.
当我驱车前往路易斯安那时,我脑海里一直想着,一定要去纪念那些遇难者的地方。
When I made the drive to Louisiana, I had in the back of my head, I gotta be sure to go to the spot that commemorates the men who died.
表达敬意。
Pay respects.
我只是想当然地认为会有某种形式的纪念场所。
I just assumed there would be some sort of memorial.
测试一,测试二。
Check one, check two.
但当我到达那里时,我意识到并没有公共纪念碑。
But when I got there, I realized there wasn't a public memorial.
至少已经不复存在了。
At least there wasn't anymore.
在新奥尔良一条繁忙的大道上,曾有一座深水地平线纪念碑矗立了两年。
For two years on a busy thoroughfare in New Orleans, a Deepwater Horizon memorial was installed.
它被命名为'11'。
It was called 11.
11尊真人大小、完全相同的雕像围成一圈,代表着所有遇难的钻井工人。
11 life size figures, identical, standing together in a circle, all representing the rig workers who were killed.
这个装置原本就不是永久性的。
The installation was never meant to be permanent.
当它们被拆除后,这些雕像被一位私人收藏家买下。
When they were taken down, the statues were purchased by a private collector.
我非常想亲眼看看它们,最终设法获得了参观这个收藏的机会。
I really wanted to see them, I managed to get myself access to the collection.
很高兴认识你。
Nice to meet you.
你想
Do you wanna
上车吗?
hop in?
好的。
Yeah.
当然。
Absolutely.
好的。
Okay.
在
In
在新奥尔良城外约20英里的圣罗斯,我见到了当天的向导詹妮弗·奥多姆。
Saint Rose, about 20 miles outside in New Orleans, I met my guide for the day, Jennifer Odom.
她负责策展和维护藏品,本身也是一位艺术家。
She works to curate and maintain the collection, and she's an artist in her own right.
詹妮弗开车带我参观了户外展区。
Jennifer drove me through the outdoor collection.
那里大约有四英亩大,摆满了雕塑。
It was maybe four acres, full of sculptures.
我太喜欢这里了。
I love this.
那是犀牛吗?
That rhino?
是的。
Yeah.
就像是用丙烷罐做的犀牛。
It's like a rhino made out of a propane tank.
没错。
Yeah.
但我想给你看这个
But I wanted to show you this is
哦,它们在那儿。
Oh, there they are.
哇。
Wow.
在路的尽头是11座雕塑,每座重达500磅,由大约2000个焊接在一起的钢盘构成。
At the very end of the road were the 11 figures, 500 pounds each and each constructed of about 2,000 steel discs welded together.
这确实很引人注目。
This is really striking.
当我们走近这些雕塑时,詹妮弗回忆起了它们被拆除的那天。
As we approached the sculptures, Jennifer recalled the day they were taken down.
邻居们当时都,你知道的,有些人非常生气,就像在说,你以为你在干什么?
And the neighbors, just were, you know, and some of them were just so upset as what, you know, what do you think you're doing?
你不能拿走那个。
You can't take that.
每个人都来了,对这件雕塑的体验以及雕塑所表达的内容发表了自己的看法。
Or everyone came and had something to say about their experience with the sculpture and about what the sculpture was about.
甚至有一位女士在哭泣,仅仅是将它从那个地点移走就引发了如此强烈的情感张力。
And one woman was even crying and just taking it out of that site created so much tension, emotional tension.
在私人收藏中,他们添加了刻有每位遇难者姓名的铭牌,并将它们放置在雕像脚下。
In the private collection, they added plaques with the names of each of the men who died and placed them at the feet of the figures.
其中一些已经遗失了。
Some of them are missing.
有些铭牌不见了?
Some of the plaques are missing?
是的。
Yeah.
是因为飓风吗?
Was that from the hurricane?
是的。
Yeah.
整个地方都严重受损了。
Entire place is seriously damaged.
詹妮弗提到最近那场风暴席卷了整个收藏区。
Jennifer mentioned that storm had recently torn through the collection.
我和基思·琼斯谈过。
I've spoken to Keith Jones.
我在想他的戈登是不是他儿子。
I wonder if his Gordon was his son.
戈登的铭牌在哪里?
Where is Gordon's plaque?
也许它...
Maybe it's.
是的。
Yeah.
看起来戈登的铭牌是缺失的那些之一。
It looks like Gordon's is one of the ones that's missing.
你认为像你儿子这样的人被社会低估了吗?
Do you think that folks like your son are undervalued by society?
当然。
Sure.
但...但这说起来容易。
But but that's easy to say.
他是我的儿子。
He was my son.
当然,是被低估了。
Of course, was undervalued.
你认为钻井工人被低估了吗?
Do you think rig workers are undervalued?
我觉得他们不受重视,人们去加油站时从不会想到这些,我也和其他人一样有责任。
I think they're unappreciated in that people go to the pump and never think about that and I'm as guilty as as anybody.
我买农产品时,也从不会多想农场工人。
I buy produce and I never give a second thought to farm workers.
我想我应该关注,我们都应该。
I should I guess, we all should.
我不知道有哪个职业或就业领域的人们能得到应有的认可。
I don't know of a profession that we or a field of employment that people get appreciated as much as they should.
也许...做播客的人除外。
Maybe maybe people that do podcasts.
基思·琼斯很务实。
Keith Jones is pragmatic.
他并不责怪任何人从深水地平线事件中走出来。
He doesn't condemn anyone for moving on from the Deepwater Horizon story.
他理解这一点。
He gets it.
人们有自己的生活,自己的责任,他们必须继续前行。
People have their own lives, their own responsibilities, they have to move on.
从重大事件中走出来并不是任何人的错。
Moving on from major events is no one's fault.
这是人之常情。
It's a human thing.
我们尽力而为,但这是不可避免的。
We do our best, but it's inevitable.
我认为那些试图控制深水地平线事件叙事的人,最终都从这种必然性中获益。
And I think those that fought to control the narrative of the Deepwater Horizon story benefited from that eventuality.
包括我在内的全国公众之所以继续前行,是因为我们必须这样做,而我们只记住了那些被精心筛选后的事件版本。
The national public, myself included, moved on because we had to, and we only remembered the curated version of events we were meant to.
人们的注意力被从深水地平线事件的另一个版本上转移开了。
Attention was diverted away from a different version of the Deepwater Horizon story.
这个版本的故事从一开始就公开存在,与你迄今所听闻的一切并行发展。
One that began in plain sight, in parallel with everything you've heard so far.
在漏油事件发生后,一系列决策被制定。
Decisions were made in the aftermath of the spill.
这些决策带来的影响多年后才逐渐显现。
These decisions had ramifications which didn't become clear for years.
与泄漏的原油和11名船员的死亡不同,从未有人为这些决策的后果承担责任。
And unlike the spilled oil and the deaths of the 11 crewmen, no one has ever taken responsibility for the consequences of these decisions.
尽管这些后果的受害者已经为此呐喊了十三年之久。
Despite the fact that the victims of these consequences have been screaming for thirteen years.
我们稍后继续。
We'll be right back.
那么请先简单介绍一下你自己。
So if you could just start by introducing yourself.
我要重新调整一下位置。
I'm gonna resituate this.
你现在处于不同的位置了。
You're in a different position now.
再给我一个级别,就告诉我你的名字。
Give me one more level, just send me your name.
雪莉·柯纳。
Sherry Kurner.
再次和丹·拉瑟坐在这里。
Sitting here with Dan Rather again.
雪莉·柯纳在漏油事件发生时住在路易斯安那州。
Sherry Kurner lived in Louisiana at the time of the spill.
现在依然如此。
Still does.
我创办了一家科技公司,为路易斯安那州大多数市政当局开创了所有电子服务,包括销售税业务,以及阿拉巴马州的销售税业务。
I started a technology company, pioneered all the e services for, most of the municipalities here in the state of Louisiana sales tax and, state of Alabama sales tax as well.
她的丈夫弗兰克·斯图尔特拥有一家土木工程公司。
Her husband, Frank Stewart, owned a civil engineering firm.
他参与了水上清理工作,并协助协调VU项目。
He worked on the cleanup, out on the water, and helped coordinate the VU program.
弗兰克直接投身其中,几乎从一开始就每天工作长达16小时,一周七天都在那里忙碌。
Frank just jumped in there and from almost from the get go, he was up to sixteen hours a day, seven days a week working down there.
他回到家时,孩子们和我都会忍不住笑,因为这实在太奇怪了。
And he would come home and the kids and I would, would giggle because this was really odd.
他回家时看起来像个奥柏伦柏人,因为皮肤呈现出这种橙色。
He looked like an Oompa Loompa when he came home because he had this orange color to his skin.
你知道,这并不寻常。
You know, it wasn't unusual.
那不像普通的晒黑或晒伤。
It wasn't like he was like a regular suntan or a sunburn.
他就是全身泛着这种橙色。
It was just this orange color to him.
弗兰克对自己如此享受清理工作感到惊讶。
Frank was surprised by how much he enjoyed working on the cleanup.
这与他平常的办公室工作完全不同。
It was completely different from his desk job.
他说:'雪莉,我们很喜欢。'
He said, Sherry, we loved it.
他说:'你知道吗,我们做这件事真的很开心。'
He said, we really had fun doing that, you know.
我的意思是,我知道那是个可怕的处境,但你看,我们尽力而为,那是一次不同的工作经历,而且非常有意义。
I mean, I know it was a horrible situation, but, you know, we we made the best of it, and it was just a different job experience and it was very rewarding.
他们真心觉得自己在做有意义的事。
They really felt like they were doing something.
你当时有没有为他做这件事感到骄傲?
Did you have a, any sense of, like, pride that he was doing this?
嗯。
Mhmm.
是吗?
Yeah?
是的。
Yeah.
我有。
I did.
为什么这么说?
Why is that?
对啊。
Yeah.
感觉就像是,你知道的,他就像超人一样。
It was kinda it's like, you know, he's Superman.
所以你看,他披着斗篷,屁股翘得老高站在那里。
So, you know, he's got his cape on with his big ass right there, you know.
所以他要去拯救那片沼泽地。
So he's gonna go save the, you know, the bayou.
所以,当突然被叫停时真的很意外,就像在问:石油都去哪儿了?
So, it was just a surprise when all of a sudden the plug was pulled because it was like like, where'd the oil go?
你懂吗?
You know?
没错。
Right.
我是说,大家能怎么办呢?
And everybody I mean, what can you do?
明白吗?
You know?
就这样很多很多年过去,你也没太在意这事。
So many, many years passed then without you really paying this much mind.
我们后来再也没想过这事。
We never thought about it again.
再也没想过这事。
Never thought about it again.
人们不再担心石油问题了。
There wasn't any more concern about the oil.
八年过去了。
Eight years passed.
那是2018年。
It was 2018.
我们进行了一次短途旅行
We took a little trip
去了休斯顿,回来后,他预约了一次结肠镜检查。
to Houston and, came back, and he had a colonoscopy scheduled.
于是我们去做了结肠镜检查,术后一切正常,但几小时后他开始发烧。
So, we went and did the colonoscopy and after it was uneventful, and then a couple hours later he started developing a fever.
我们当时以为,显然是因为结肠镜检查引起的发热,这可能是术后反应。
And, we just, you know, we figured, obviously you're having a fever from the colonoscopy, which could be consequence.
有时会有点发热。
Sometimes you get a little fever.
对。
Right.
然后,我给他吃了泰诺,但发烧还是反复。
And, I gave him Tylenol and then it kept coming back.
我拿体温计一量,显示约104.2度(华氏),我还不相信。
And I got a thermometer and the thermometer said something like 104.2 and I didn't believe it.
我又用另一个体温计量,是103.9度左右。
Then I got the other thermometer that we had, 103.9 or whatever.
我还以为是两个体温计都坏了。
I thought something was wrong with both of them.
结果第二天早上他起床去上班了,我想着,好吧,他应该没事了。
Then he got up and went to work the next morning, so I figured, Okay, he's past that.
但午饭前后他回来时又病了。
But he comes back for around lunchtime and he's sick.
于是他给医生打了电话。
So he calls the doctor.
遗憾的是,我让弗兰克代替我跟医生通话。
And unfortunately, I let Frank talk to the doctor instead of me.
我真不知道男人到底有什么毛病。
I don't know what the hell is wrong with men.
你知道,男人就是不会,就是不会在健康问题上做正确的事,总是敷衍了事。
You know, men just don't, you know, they just don't, do the right thing when it comes to their health, know, to just dismiss it.
他们觉得自己很坚强什么的。
They're tough or whatever.
但是,看着他们然后说,弗兰克,你必须去医院。
But, looking at them and say, Frank, you got to go to the hospital.
他却说,我才不去医院。
And he's like, I'm not going to the hospital.
然后到了周日,你知道,情况还是一样。
So then Sunday comes, and, you know, we've got the same situation.
我真的对他很恼火,因为我真心觉得他必须处理这个问题,去医院。
And I was so exasperated with him because I really felt like he really needed to deal with this and go to the hospital.
所以我跟他说,弗兰克,你真的需要去医院。
So I mentioned to him, you know, you really need to go to the hospital, Frank.
而他说,你又不是我的医生。
And he said, he says, you're not my doctor.
我不去医院。
I'm not going to the hospital.
我说,那好吧。
I said, well, fine.
得败血症死掉算了。
Get sepsis and die.
然后我下楼向婆婆和女儿们抱怨。
And I went down the stairs complaining to my mother-in-law and my daughters.
她们说,你为什么不直接叫救护车?
And they're like, why don't you just call the ambulance?
我说,是啊,如果我叫救护车,他会把人家赶走的。
I said, yeah, if I call the ambulance, he's going to chase them away.
因为我打电话给他,但你瞧,我不知道该不该这么说,但结果我上楼后发现他叫了个带把儿的来。
Because I called him, But you lo and behold, I don't know if I can say this, but lo and behold, I go upstairs and he called somebody with a penis.
然后那个朋友告诉他需要去医院。
And that friend told him he needed to go to the hospital.
所以突然间,他现在就非去医院不可了。
So all of a sudden, he needs to go to the hospital now.
哦,好吧。
Oh, okay.
行吧,那就这样吧。
Well, there we go.
那边有体温计,你知道的。
There's the thermometer there, you know.
于是我就带他去了。
So I take him.
医院收治了他,说他是得了某种罕见感染。
They admit him because they said he's got some kind of rare infection.
好的。
Okay.
到了这个时候,他停止进食了。
And at this point, he stops eating.
他甚至还没吃东西。
He hadn't even eaten.
好吧。
Okay.
所以,他
And, so He's
太恶心了。
too nauseous.
就是没胃口。
Just didn't feel like it.
是啊。
Yeah.
接下来的两周里,他们给他做了各种检查。
And, over the next two weeks, they're testing him for all kinds of things.
他们不断排除各种可能性,然后过来跟我沟通。
They, you know, constantly ruling this out and coming, you know, talking to me.
这对家属来说真的很艰难,你得负责整合所有医生的意见——这个医生说是这个病,那个医生说是那个病,还有人认为是另一种情况,明白吗?
And it's really, tough, you know, for a family member to have to be the one that actually processes all these doctors to kind of corral in the opinions because they all have, this one says it's this, this one says it's that, this one thinks it's that, you know?
而你不得不坐在这里决定我们该采纳哪个方向。
And you have to actually sit here and decide which direction are we gonna go in.
第一家医院查不出弗兰克的问题,所以把他转到了另一家医院。
The first hospital couldn't figure out what was wrong with Frank, so he was moved to a different hospital.
自从做肠镜前一天起,他就没再进食。
He hadn't eaten since we went since the day before he went in for his colonoscopy.
他一直没吃东西。
He hadn't eaten.
但似乎根本没人关心这件事。
And they never nobody seems to care about that.
这就像,难道没人觉得他总该吃点东西吗,你懂吗?
It's like, isn't somebody gonna think that he needs to eat at some point, you know?
所以他们最终给他插了胃管。
So they end up putting a tube in his stomach.
然后医生进来说,她诊断出他患有急性髓系白血病。
Then the doctor comes in and says that she figured out that he had, acute myeloid leukemia.
急性髓系白血病是一种罕见癌症,先在骨髓中生长,然后扩散到血液中。
Acute myeloid leukemia is a rare cancer that grows in bone marrow before spreading into the bloodstream.
弗兰克被再次转院到杜兰大学,以便接受更专业的治疗。
Frank was moved again to Tulane University, where he could be given more specialized care.
于是我们睡下后,大约早上六七点,主治医生团队的其中一位医生进来叫醒我们俩。
And so, you know, we go to sleep, and about 07:00, 06:00 in the morning, one of the doctors from the this lead doctor's group comes in and wakes us both up.
在黑暗中说道:斯图尔特先生,我要确认您确实患有急性髓系白血病,唯一治愈途径是化疗,但您目前身体太虚弱无法承受。
It's in the dark and says, mister Stewart, I want to verify you do have acute myeloid leukemia, and the only path, to a cure with this is chemo, and you're too weak to take it.
明白吗?
Okay?
然后就走了。
And leaves.
你知道吗?
You know?
所以我们当时都懵了。
And so we're, like, dumbfounded.
但这反而激励了他,因为他根本没打算放弃生命。
And, it was a motivator for him, you know, because, he had no intentions on dying.
他开始振作起来,说我们必须给要做决定的医生留下好印象。
And he started, you know, perking up and it's like, no, we we need to make a good presentation to the the doctor that's gonna make this call, you know?
于是我扶他坐起来,给他擦洗身体,整理头发。
So, so I'm sitting him up and, you know, bathing him down and, you know, fixing his hair.
然后他开始刮胡子。
And, you know, he started he shaved.
他把脸刮得干干净净,我还拍了张照片。
He shaved where it was clean, and I took a picture of that.
而且,他在微笑。
And, he's smiling.
他已经很久没有笑过了,但对他来说,能有所改变非常重要。
And it had been a long time since he smiled, but it was that important to him to make a difference.
然后医生带着她的团队进来了,她让我离开。
And and so the doctor comes in with her all the doctors, she comes in with the group, and she asked me to leave.
于是她和他谈完后就出来了。
And so she talks to him and then comes out.
我问她。
And asking her.
我在外面等着,结果她说,我不能和你谈。
I'm out to, well, you know, she's like, I can't talk to you.
你不是病人。
You're not the patient.
我说,我的孩子们都在不同的国家。
And I said, well, I have kids all in different countries.
那我该怎么办?
And what do I do?
她说,那就现在把他们叫来。
She said, well, get them in now.
于是我进去了,她告诉我弗兰克不想让我知道他们谈话的内容。
So I went in, and, she had told me that Frank didn't want me to know what they had talked about.
但当我进去时,他整个人都崩溃了。
But then when I went in there, he's totally deflated.
你知道吗?
You know?
然后他告诉我,她说我快要死了。
Just, and he and he tells me that, you know, that she said that I'm gonna die.
而且,他非常沮丧。
And, he was so depressed.
你知道吗,那时候他好像已经准备放弃了。
You know, it's like he was just ready to just give up at that point.
于是我沿着走廊找她,等着她出现。
So I went looking for her down the hallway waiting for her.
后来她终于露面了,我当时简直气疯了。
You know, she eventually surfaced, and I I was just so mad.
我直接对她说:除非你知道我丈夫具体哪天几点会死,否则你胆敢再对他说这种话试试看。
You know, I was like, unless you know the day and the time my husband's going to die, don't you dare tell him something like that again.
你把他活下去的动力全夺走了,现在你必须补救,进去告诉他你其实并不确定,好让他留有一线希望。
You took all of his motivation to live away, so you need to fix this and go in and tell him that you actually don't know so he can have a thread of hope.
于是她照做了。
So she does.
她重新进去后,人的心理反应真是奇妙,你知道的,当听到消息时的反应。
She goes back in there and it's just amazing how what the mind does, you know, when you hear news.
等我再进去时,他说:雪莉,雪莉,我不会马上死的。
So when I went in, goes, Sherry, Sherry, I'm not gonna die right now.
我是说,我可能还能活一年,或者更久,所以他,你知道的,他又开心起来了。
I mean, I could live for another year or, you know, I and and so he, you know, he was happy.
他瘦得只剩皮包骨了,但很开心,你知道吗?
And he was a skeleton, but he was happy, you know?
他的心里坚信自己能战胜病魔。
He in his mind, you know, he's he's gonna beat this.
ाम्她让这种情况持续了几天,我想我们ERE已经申请了临终ologue.
And she kinda let that go on for a couple of days, and I think we had asked to go on hospice.
…你能给不了解临终关怀的人解释一下吗?
Can you explain to people what hospice is if they don't Well,
临终关怀可能是最人道的离世方式,无需插管,他们可以在家中与亲人相伴走完最后一程。
hospice is probably the kindest way somebody can die without having tubes in them, they die in their house with their loved ones around them.
但他们会提供所有必要的药物来帮助患者保持舒适,主要是吗啡。
But they give you all the drugs that you need to help them keep them comfortable, you know, chiefly morphine.
但当我们第一次听说时,还以为能继续尝试活下去。
But the first time we heard about it, we thought that we would still be able to try to continue to live.
但如果你的目标是继续生存,那就不符合临终关怀的资格。
But don't qualify for hospice if that's your goal.
临终关怀是为生命终期护理而设的。
Hospice is there for end of life care.
嗯。
Mhmm.
但当我们发现这一点时,我们试图,你知道,想要退缩,但她却坚持己见,并告诉我们,你们终将走向死亡。
But when we found that out, we try to back you know, pedal backwards on it, but she pushed back on us, and she's saying, well, you're going to die.
这就是即将发生的事实。
That's what's going to happen here.
你们可以选择在这里离世,或者在家中安详离去。
You can either die here or you can die at home.
要知道,我和我的三个孩子当时都在拼命坚持,我们决定留下。
Know, me and my three kids were, you know, fighting to just, well, we're staying.
直到最后他开口说,够了,真的够了。
We're gonna and then he just said, enough, enough, you know.
所以我们决定回家。
So we wanted to come home.
重温那些时刻令人心痛。
It's hard to relive the moments.
于是第二天,他们送我们回家,我们就在这里搭起医院病床,还组装了一台投影电视。
So the next day, they sent us home, and we set the hospital bed up right here and put a projector TV together.
我们原本希望能多陪他一些时光。
And, you know, we were hoping we would have some time with them.
但他的情况每天都在恶化,到最后只能用眉毛来交流。
But every day he got a little worse to the point where he could the only way he could communicate was with his eyebrow.
他的眼睛始终睁着。
His eyes would just stay open.
五天后,他离开了人世。
And he died five days later.
所以
So
节哀。
Sorry.
是啊。
Yeah.
那种感觉又回来了,当你开始在脑海中重现那些画面,回忆所有事情的时候。
It just brings you back, you know, when you start when you start seeing it in your head and recalling everything, you know.
仿佛又身临其境。
It feels like you're there.
在弗兰克·斯图尔特去世前的几周里,医生向谢丽和弗兰克提出了一些问题。
In the weeks leading up to Frank Stewart's death, doctors asked questions of Cherie and Frank.
谢丽现在认为他们当时答错了其中一个问题。
Cherie now believes they answered one of those questions incorrectly.
当弗兰克病倒,我们急忙送他去医院时,结果发现——我是说真的不夸张——
When Frank fell ill and we rushed him to the hospital, he ends up having I mean, I'm not kidding.
至少有50个不同的医生。
It must be 50 different doctors.
每次有新医生进病房,就开始询问你,问遍你所有的健康问题。
You know, every time a new doctor comes in the room, they start talking to you and they're asking you all the questions about your health.
他们都问我们,'你们接触过化学品吗?'
They all asked us, Did you work around chemicals?
我们俩都说没有。
Both of us said no.
完全没想到BP石油泄漏也算接触化学品。
Never thinking that the BP oil spill counted as working around chemicals.
要是早知道这个信息可能救命,从他突然病发到去世大约六周时间,那时他已经虚弱得无法化疗了。
It could have been lifesaving to know that information because from the time he got abruptly ill to the time that he, died was about six weeks and then he was too weak to do the chemo.
但如果我们早期就告诉他们'是的,我参与过BP石油泄漏清理'呢?
But had we known in the early stage to tell them that, oh yeah, I worked on the BP oil spill?
也许,你知道的。
Maybe, you know.
他们问这个问题显然是有原因的。
They obviously were asking us that question for a reason.
我们却一直告诉所有医生'没有'。
We were telling all these doctors, no.
那并不涉及化学品。
It didn't work around chemicals.
在深植公众记忆中的BP漏油事件故事里——那个我记得的、我父亲记得的、每个我问过的人都记得的版本——人员伤亡仅限于井喷当晚在钻井平台上遇难的人。
In the BP oil spill story that was cemented in the public consciousness, the one I remembered, the one my father remembered, the one everyone I asked remembered, the loss of human life is limited to those who died on the rig the night of the blowout.
他们是这场灾难中的人类牺牲者。
They are the human casualties of the disaster.
但墨西哥湾沿岸有人认为,BP漏油事件真实的人类代价要严重得多。
But there are people on The Gulf who believe that the true human toll of the BP oil spill is much, much larger.
《涟漪》由Western Sound与APM Studios联合制作。
Ripple is produced by Western Sound and APM Studios.
本节目由我——丹·莱昂内——为Western Sound创作。
It's created by me, Dan Leone, for Western Sound.
本·阿代尔担任执行制片人。
Ben Adair is the executive producer.
埃里卡·克劳斯是APM Studios的执行制片人。
Erica Krause is the executive producer for APM Studios.
《涟漪》由我——丹·莱昂内撰写并主持。
Ripple is written and hosted by me, Dan Leone.
贝琪·谢泼德担任高级记者兼制片人。
Betsy Shepherd is the senior reporter and producer.
科林·麦克纳提担任编辑。
Colin McNulty is the editor.
原声音乐由我创作。
Original music is composed by me.
音效设计由我和亚历克斯·麦金尼斯共同完成。
Sound design by me and Alex McGinnis.
亚历克斯负责节目的混音和母带处理。
Alex mixed and mastered the show.
萨拉·迪利和斯特拉·哈特曼担任副制片人。
Sarah Dealey and Stella Hartman are the associate producers.
萨凡娜·怀特负责调研与事实核查,贝琪·谢泼德补充核查。
Research and fact checking by Savannah Wright, with additional fact checking by Betsy Shepherd.
补充报道由海莉·福克斯完成。
Additional reporting by Hayley Fox.
尼克·瑞安是APM工作室的高级制作经理。
Nick Ryan is APM Studios' senior production manager.
APM工作室的负责人是乔安妮·格里菲斯、亚历克斯·谢弗特和钱德拉·卡瓦蒂。
And the executives in charge for APM Studios are Joanne Griffith, Alex Shaffert, and Chandra Kavati.
想了解更多相关内容,请访问我们的网站ripplepodcast.org。
To learn more about what you've heard, visit our website at ripplepodcast.org.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。