本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
好吧。
Alright.
嘿,大家好。
Hey, everyone.
欢迎来到本周的Q与Andy节目。
Welcome to this week's Q and Andy episode.
听好了。
Listen.
我知道到这个时候,你们可能已经听了周二与拉里·斯特凡基的那期节目,而我们要再深入一步。
I know at this point, you probably listen to Tuesday's episode with the Larry Stefanki, and we are going to double that shit down.
他今天来回答你们提交的问题。
He is here to answer the questions that you sent in.
那么,不多说了,这位在过去三十年里培养了众多我们所喜爱的明星的教练——拉里·斯特凡基。
So without further ado, coach to many of the stars that we have loved for the past thirty years, Larry Stefanki.
肖恩,我们的听众都提出了哪些问题?
Sean, what have our listeners sent in?
我们收到了来自Racket Lifestyle的Mitch的第一个视频问题。
We got a first video question from Mitch from Racket Lifestyle.
如果你要描述和安迪一起的这段经历,你会怎么形容?
If you could describe that experience with Andy, how would you describe it?
用哪个词?
What phrase?
用哪个词?
What word?
也许你会把拉里和安迪的关系比作哪部电影?
Maybe what movie would you, would you call the Larry Andy relationship?
第二部分是带着 hindsight 回顾过去。
And second part is with some hindsight going back.
如果你能重来一次,你会有什么不同的做法?
And and and if you could do it again, if you will, what would you do differently?
你会增加什么?
What would you add?
你会去掉什么?
What would you take away?
也许有哪些你希望当时能做的缺失环节,能帮助安迪在更多比赛中更进一步?
What were maybe some missing components that you wish you would have done that could have taken Andy across the line in a few more tournaments?
很沉重。
Heavy.
什么电影?
What movie?
别管电影了。
Forget the movie.
专注于其他事情。
Get focus on the other stuff.
好的。
Okay.
我觉得安迪回答得还可以。
Well, I think Andy answered okay.
首先,那个家伙的发型。
First of all, that guy's hairdo.
那到底是什么情况?
What was that all about?
我喜欢那个。
I I like that.
我也该弄个类似的。
I should get something like that.
为了那头乱发,我愿意做任何糟糕的事。
I would do terrible things for that that mop.
如果我能从他职业生涯一开始就和他在一起就好了,因为他在四年半的时间里取得了巨大的进步。很多人都跟我提过这一点,说我真希望早点和安迪合作。
Well, if I could've if he could've been together with him to start his career, because he came so much farther over the four and a half years, That that has actually been told to me a lot, that I only wish that you you started with Andy earlier.
我也这么觉得,因为我们的性格很合得来,大家的想法也都基本一致。
And I do too because of our our personalities, what what you know, how we gelled together and we're all pretty much on the same page.
从他职业生涯一开始就合作是件很容易的事,我认为他本可以取得更多的成就。
That was the easy part of just being starting with his career, think he would have attained even more in my opinion.
天啊,这个问题的前半部分是个电影吗?
Geez, the first part of the question is a movie?
好吧。
Okay.
那是什么,《低俗小说》?
What is that, Pulp Fiction?
天啊。
Jeez.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
这显然是
That's obviously
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,谁知道一边会发生什么,另一边呢?
Well, who knows what would be going on on one side, the other side?
不。
No.
但是,不。
But, no.
安迪,还有是的。
Andy and yeah.
天哪。
Jeez.
我们确实完成了很多。
We did we accomplished quite a bit.
很多。
Quite a bit.
好吧?
Okay?
顺便说一下,温布尔登那边根本就不是两个得分点。
And then it was just not two points on Wimbledon, by the way, anyway.
一个得分点。
One point.
这样我们和我……
That way we and and I k.
昨天,你信不信,我看了那份事实清单。
Yesterday, believe it or not, I looked at that fact sheet.
这是我十四年来第一次,好吧。
First time in my life, okay, in fourteen years.
我不知道你是否记得我们之前谈论发球的时候。
I don't know if you remember when we talk about serving.
他发出了50个ACE球。
He had 50 aces.
你得了27分。
You got 27.
我知道。
I know.
那是你职业生涯中唯一一次完胜他。
That's the only time in your career you outplayed him.
那是体育生涯中你必须接受的一刻,实在很难咽下这口气。
That was one that in sports you gotta live with and that was tough to swallow and stomach.
但它确实展现了你有多大的进步,以及你通过艰苦训练、不懈努力、敢于打磨技术而获得的自信。
But it did show how much you improved and the confidence that you gained from doing the hard mile, the hard work, and not afraid to, like, work on your game to get better.
很多孩子觉得,哦,我得分已经很多了,没必要打那么多球, blah blah blah,结果水平并不高。
A lot of these kids think, oh, I make a lot of I don't need to play that much and then blah blah blah, and they're not very good.
而你可不是那种人。
And, you weren't one of those guys.
我的意思是,你只是想站在赛场上,确保自己有机会赢得大满贯。
I mean, you you just wanted to be able to be in the arena to make sure that you had a chance to win slams.
我真的很感激那段与你同行的时光,现在要找到那样的默契真的很难。
And I really appreciated, that ride for you, and it's it's hard to find that that that chemistry now.
他们嘴上这么说,但真能身体力行吗?
They say it, but will they live it?
比如,我的水平一度从一升到二,再到三、五、六,等我和拉里搭档时,我已经到了八,甚至可能还在走下坡路,后来我们又回到了三。
Like, just the levels like, I was I went from, you know, one to two to three to five to six to by the time Larry and I got together, I was eight and maybe heading the the wrong direction, and we got back to three.
在迈阿密赢得了一些大师赛,差点就赢了温布尔登。
Some master series wins in Miami, almost won Wimbledon.
所以,那是一次巨大的重新调整。
So, like, there was there was a a large reset.
但我也从中学到了一个教训:第一,自我认知很重要。
But, also, there's the the lesson I'll take from it is, one, self awareness matters.
对吧?
Right?
我明白,我在巡回赛上取得过一些成功,赢过不少大师赛,还当过世界第一,诸如此类。
I understand that I, you know, had had some success on tour, won a bunch of master series events, been number one in the world, all this stuff.
而且,那时网球的发展方向根本不是那样。
And, also, that's just not where the game was going.
而认真反思自己时,我意识到,我根本不可能每天靠着身体当时的状态去碾压对手。
And the hard look in the mirror was like, I actually can't just go through someone every day with what my body was allowing me to do.
当我和拉里在一起时,他说我的发球还不错,但比2003或2004年时少了10%到15%。
Like, when Larry and I got together, he says I had a a good serve, but it was 10 or 15% less than what it was in o three or o four.
你知道,当我试图打出一记平击正手时,肩膀的疼痛甚至比上网时还要厉害。
You know, the the shoulder hurt more when I was trying to clean a forehand flat than it did when I was coming around.
但说实话,我也不确定。
So but, like, I don't know.
这是一种情况:当你根本不是热门人选时,赢下两个球都很难。
It's one of those things where I does not winning two points when you're, like, not the favorite.
顺便说一句,那届比赛里,根本没人觉得我有丝毫机会赢穆雷。
And by the way, I wasn't given a chance in hell of beating Murray that tournament.
没错。
That's right.
嗯,休伊特,你逃过一劫。
Well, Hewitt Hewitt, you escaped.
我的意思是,通过
I mean, with
第五盘中那记正手直线截击,你知道的,
the half volley up the line backhand, you know, in the fifth
四局之中。
of four.
转过头去。
Looking away.
是的。
Yeah.
在那之前,比约恩·博格也是这样,那真是个噩梦般的夜晚。
And then Bjorn Borg before that too was like, you know, what a night that was a nightmare.
不管怎样,我不认为任何教练能理解当时所付出的努力。
Anyways, I I don't think we can, like, it was any coach understands the work that was done.
那我们会改变什么?
So what would we change?
我想不出我们除了结果之外还有什么需要改变的,而结果并不是流程上的改变。
I can't think of much we would change besides a result, and that's not a change in process.
你知道的?
You know?
我对我们的做法和所做的事情没有任何遗憾。
That I don't have any regrets about how we went about it or what we did.
也许你觉得不一样,但我不会回头说,如果我们改了这一点——我是说,如果我们没改这一点,我们可能就不会有机会看到那个篮筐,在我看来。
Maybe maybe you think differently, but I don't I don't look back and say, if we would have changed this I'm saying if we wouldn't have changed this, we wouldn't have had a look at the basket in my opinion.
我认为我们在中途已经尽了我们所能,因为我是在职业生涯中期加入的。
I think we did pretty much all we could possibly do mid mid because I jumped in mid career.
快结束的时候,你正朝着那个方向下滑,你知道的。
Near the end, you were kind of going down, you know, that way, that direction.
你知道的?
You know?
但你确实调整了方向。
And and but you you you cinched up, changed direction.
是的。
Yeah.
需要一位自信的教练才能果断放弃一个拖后腿的项目。
Takes takes takes a takes a takes a confident coach to jump on an anchor.
肖恩,不是的。
Sean, what No.
那是下一个
That's the next
问题。
question.
幸运的是,我们确实。
And luckily luckily we yeah.
幸运的是,我们有布鲁克林。
Luck luckily luck luckily, we we had Brooklyn.
明白吗?
Okay?
因为我说的每句话,布鲁克林都会在背后接住。
Because everything I'd say, Brooklyn would get it in the back of.
我心想,天哪。
And I'm saying, oh my god.
因为布鲁克林,她会和老安迪一起开球。
Because Brooklyn, she'll tee it up with old Andy.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以这就是为什么,你知道的,我无比爱她,因为她根本不会退缩。
So and and that's why I, you know, I love her to death because she was not gonna she was no back off.
我害怕两个人,拉里·斯特凡基和布鲁克林·戴克。
I fear two people, Larry Stefanki and Brooklyn Decker.
你能问下一个问题吗,肖恩?
Can you what's the, what's what's what's the next question, Sean?
好的。
Alright.
说到布鲁克林·戴克,我们有一个来自布罗克的问题。
Speaking of Brooklyn Decker, we have a question from Brooke.
哦,该死。
Oh, fuck.
请解释一下‘淀粉球’和‘花言巧语’这两个术语。
Please explain the term starch ball and flimflam.
老样子。
The old okay.
我能先做个背景说明吗?
I can I set context here?
所以我需要你来定义一下。
So I need you to define.
这太棒了。
This is great.
淀粉球,我们在大一期节目中解释过了。
Starch Ball, we explained in the big episode.
如果你还没听过,网上肯定有片段,或者直接去听那一期吧。
If you if you haven't heard it, there's a clip up I'm sure and or just listen to that episode.
我们已经详细讲过淀粉球和卡塔尔的情况了。
We already went through the full Starch Ball and and Qatar situation.
所以拉里总有这么多所谓的‘拉里语’,你一开始根本不知道他在说什么,但一个月后你突然就全明白了。
So Larry has all these, like, we call them Larryisms where you don't know what the fuck he's talking about, and then a month later, you fully understand what he's talking about.
对吧?
Right?
他会说,哦,这个家伙,这个孩子就是得咬紧牙关,做好准备。
So he'd be like, oh, this guy, this kid just just bear down, batten down the heads.
这人是个骗子。
This guy's a flimflammer.
这种说法大概意思是,他可能不够自律,或者容易累,或者一时半会儿搞不定——你能一次性彻底说清楚吗?这词我们到现在还在用。
And that kinda meant that, like, maybe he was not disciplined or maybe he would get tired or maybe so can you once and for all just and it's a term we still use today just
是的
Yeah.
每周一次。
Once a week.
我们还在用,那是什么?是个老词
We still What is It's an old
弗林弗拉默是什么意思,拉里?
What is a flimflammer, Larry?
弗林弗拉默。
The flimflammer.
好的。
Okay.
弗林弗拉默呢,就是那种说话和实际行动对不上的人。
Flimflammers, okay, are guy an individual that that that will will will speak but not match it up with where they're coming from.
所以你得付出努力,不能光靠嘴上说,你得真正做过,否则那只是空话。
So you gotta put in the work and so you have to be able to, not just say it in words, but you gotta match it up in that you've done it before or some sort of otherwise, it's just words.
明白吗?
Okay?
这其实没什么意义。
And it doesn't really mean anything.
所以我喜欢诚实的人,比如那个家伙,那个家伙真的付出了努力,我不在乎他是不是爱默生、希吉里斯,或者安迪·罗迪克。
So I like truth tellers in the sense of, oh, that guy that guy did the hard I don't care if it's, you know, Emerson, you know, Higuiris, Andy Roddick.
好的。
Okay.
那些人不是骗子。
Those guys are not flimflammers.
明白吗?
Okay?
那些人不仅用言语,更用行动证明了自己。
Those guys backed it up with not just words, with actions.
明白吗?
Okay?
这就是为什么我把很多家伙称为骗子。
And that's that's why I call a lot of guys flimflam.
我现在去看网球,发现每隔一个人就是个骗子。
I go to that tennis now, and it's like every other guy's a flimflammer.
明白吗?
Okay?
我甚至都不知道他们是从哪儿冒出来的。
And I don't even know where they come from.
明白吗?
Okay?
我在想,这些家伙是谁?
I'm thinking, who are these guys?
明白吗?
Okay?
他们全都是专家。
They're all experts.
每个人都是专家,但却没有任何资质来证明这一点。
Everyone's an expert, but they have nothing no credential to back it up.
所以这就是一个骗子。
So that's a flimflammer.
好吧。
Okay.
另一件事是淀粉球。
And then the other thing is the Starch Ball.
安迪忘了说,当他把那东西放在塑料袋里时,他把它扔到了墙上。
I Andy forgot to say, when he had that thing in a plastic, he threw it against the wall.
好吧?
Okay?
他说,你总是扫光所有的乐趣。
He said, you're always blowing all the fun.
你知道的?
You know?
他把它扔向
And and he threw it against
墙上。
the wall.
那东西溅得到处都是。
The thing splattered everywhere.
你知道吗,得饿到什么程度,才会在别人告诉你不能吃的时候把松饼扔出去?
You know how hungry you have to be to throw a muffin when someone tells you you can't have it?
你有没有因为饥饿而把食物扔掉过?
You ever thrown food out of out of hunger?
没有。
No.
从来没有。
Never.
没有。
No.
凌晨3点
3AM
在卡塔尔。
In Qatar.
即将飞往墨尔本。
About to fly to Melbourne.
凌晨3点。
3AM.
是的。
Yeah.
淀粉球。
Starch Ball.
带着一个淀粉球飞往墨尔本。
Fly to Melbourne with a starch ball in his stomach.
是的。
Yeah.
但那个骗子,是的,你必须得有,你知道的,否则,别说什么。
But the flimflammer, yeah, you need you need to have, you know, otherwise, you know, don't say anything.
就像安迪说的,拉里,如果你说了什么,最好能用几个事实来支撑。
Like Andy says, if you say something, Larry, you better be able to back it up with a couple facts on the end.
别光说点什么却什么依据都没有,他总是这样对我说。
Just don't say something and without and that's what he always says to me.
我们就这样,他呢,顺便说一下,拉里,请在训练时少说点话。
We we go this and he go and and by the way, Larry, please stop saying so much on the practice.
今天就给我一个要改进的点。
Give me one thing to work on today.
就左腿,左腿在后面,左。
Just left leg left leg on the back, left.
但别说‘左腿后移,后倾’。
But don't say left leg back, dip back.
我的大脑不是这样工作的。
My brain doesn't work that way.
好的。
Okay.
我喜欢每天只关注一件事。
I like one thing a day.
我说,好的。
I said, okay.
这花了一点时间才掌握,你知道的,因为大多数人能处理的比仅仅一件事要多。
That that took a little while to get, you know, under because most people can process a little more than just one thing.
但对于像他这样的人来说,这其实很聪明,因为信息过载没什么好处。
But in with guys that are at his it's it's actually smart because information overload is no good.
明白吗?
Okay?
当涉及到这个时,这是一条漫长的路。
When it comes to it's a long road.
这是一本很长的小说。
It's a long novel.
那个老骗子。
The old flimflammer.
接下来我们有什么,肖恩?
What do we got next, Sean?
好的。
Alright.
我们有一个来自大卫的问题。
We got a question from David.
在职业赛场上,许多教练的竞技水平并不如他们所训练的选手。
On the professional circuit, many coaches did not compete at the same level as the players they train.
在这种情况下,选手们是如何信任教练给出的建议的?
In those cases, how do players come to trust the advice their coaches give?
好问题,肖恩。
Good question, Sean.
没有。
Came no.
这不是我说的。
It's not from me.
这是大卫说的。
It's from David.
是大卫,大卫。
From David David.
大卫。
David.
好问题。
A great question.
很棒的问题。
Great question.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我是个……我是说,他们可以在书里读到这些。
I'm a I'm a I mean, they could read it in a book.
去网上看看。
Look on the Internet.
我指导这些我指导的这些人。
I coach these I coach these people.
我说过,从来没听说过你。
I said, so, never heard of you.
这些年轻球员。
These juniors.
他说,没有。
He goes, no.
没有。
No.
没有。
No.
我是个足球运动员,但我从网上学会了如何当教练。
I'm a soccer player, but I learned how to coach on the Internet.
我说,什么?
I went, what?
我有个问题要问你,因为我知道你接下来会说什么,你会说这根本不存在。
I have a question for you just because I I know what you're gonna say and you're gonna say, like, it doesn't exist.
而我有一部分也认同。
And I I part of me agrees.
这在网球中有什么特别之处吗?
Is it different specifically for tennis?
因为你看看像埃里克·斯波尔斯特拉这样的人,他是NBA最出色的现役教练之一,他最初是在迈阿密热火队的录像室里起步的。
Because you look at someone like, like an Eric Spolstra in in in NBA who's probably the best active NBA coach, and he started in the film room with with with the Miami Heat.
他执教过无数传奇人物和个性鲜明的球员。
And he's coached absolute legends and egos and all of these things.
这在网球中是特有的吗?
Is it specific to tennis?
如果答案是肯定的,为什么?
And if the answer is yes, why?
我只是觉得这有帮助。
Well, I just think it helps.
如果你曾经达到过较高水平的竞技状态,这真的能帮助你成为专家,理解球员正在经历什么,因为你曾经也经历过这些。
If you've played at any type of level of a higher level, it really helps in being an expert and knowing what the individual is going through, knowing that you've been there before and experienced that.
我不是说他是骗子。
And this is kind of like, okay I'm not saying he's a flimflammer.
我只是说,如果你真的没有亲身经历过,你就缺失了方程式中的一部分。
I'm just saying that if you really haven't gone through, you're missing a part of the equation.
明白吗?
Okay?
这在某种程度上关乎你作为教练的资历,以及你师从何人。
It helps in the sense of your credential as a coach, and who you studied under.
我很幸运,我有机会向许多伟大的球员学习,问了很多问题,但我还有一位导师,他曾在1938年指导过唐·布吉。
I I was lucky that I I had all these great players to learn a lot from and I asked a lot of questions, but I also had a guy that I learned an awful lot from who coached Don Budge in 1938.
是的。
Yes.
当谈到步法基础、提前击球以及掌控自己的命运时。
And and and when it when it comes to footwork fundamentals, taking the ball early, and being in control of your destiny.
汤姆·斯托是我在职业化后合作了两年的教练。
And Tom Stowe was someone that I worked with for two years after I turned pro.
我实际上是在伯克利大学大四快结束时才开始打主力的。
I actually started my senior near the end of my senior year at Berkeley.
现在回头看,那真是最棒的经历。
And I looked back at it now and it was the greatest thing.
我说,这人是谁?
Said, Who is this guy?
这人老得不行, blah blah blah。
This guy's old blah blah blah.
但这家伙懂行,JB 和我哥哥一起帮我引荐了他。
But this guy knew And then JB was the one that hooked me up with him along with my brother.
和汤姆相处五周后,我说:我要离开这家伙了。
I did After five weeks with Tom, I said, I'm leaving this guy.
这老头根本不懂弗林弗默。
This guy's an old doesn't know Flimflammer.
好吧,我确实是个弗林弗默。
Okay, I've got I'm flimflammer.
JB对我说,让我告诉你一件事。
And JB goes, let me tell you something.
他给我打电话,我告诉他,我觉得我要走了。
He calls me and I told him, I think I'm leaving.
他说,不,你不能走。
He goes, no, you're not.
我说,什么?
I said, what?
他说,让我告诉你一件事。
He goes, let me tell you something.
你以为自己懂很多网球吗?
You think you know a lot about tennis?
这 guy 对网球的了解,比你整个懂的还多。
This guy knows more about tennis on one finger than you know about tennis.
你不能离开他,因为我一直看着你,Larry,他真的能帮到你。
You're not leaving him because I've watched you, okay, and he can really help you, Larry.
所以你不能离开他,明白吗?
So you're not leaving him, okay?
而约翰是在我离开伯克利之后才出现的。
And John was the one that had this was after I left Berkeley.
那时我已经是个职业选手了,明白吗?
I was already a pro, okay?
我说,好吧,这就是我对约翰的信任程度。
And I said, okay, that's how much I trusted John.
我坚持和他在一起,Tom,那是我做过最棒的事,因为他教会了我大量我当时根本不懂的东西。
And it was the greatest thing I ever did sticking with him, Tom, because he taught me an awful lot that I didn't know at that time.
所以这就是为什么当我们谈到你之前问过的关于指导其他球员的问题时。
And so that's why when we talk about you had a question earlier about coaching another player.
我认为,如果他们想在马戏团里走穴,我真能帮上忙,让他们明白这需要付出什么。
I think you know, if they wanna go on the road in the in in the circus, I could really help them, and educate them what it's gonna take.
安迪不相信这管用。
Andy doesn't believe that that works.
我知道。
I know that.
而且,我也不认为这能100%奏效。
And, I don't believe it works a 100%.
我不确定。
I don't I don't know.
我的意思是,我们之所以能合作,是因为你不想经常旅行,而且我在家训练时你也不用盯着我。
Like, I I do I mean, we worked because you didn't wanna travel as much, but you also didn't have to babysit me to train when I was home.
没错。
That's right.
所以,我不确定我们在我18岁的时候会不会合得来。
Like, so I I don't know that we would have worked when I was 18.
塔里克那时候一直紧盯着我。
Like, Tariq was all over me all the time.
我觉得不同事情在不同时候会起不同的作用。
Like, so I I think I think different things work at different times.
那时候,我知道该怎么做事,也知道即使拉里不在,我也不会偷懒。
Like, I I was at that point, I knew how to work, and I knew I wasn't gonna skip because Larry wasn't there.
所以我觉得这样是有效的。
So I I think that that works.
肖恩,我们还有什么?
Sean, what else we got?
好的。
Alright.
我们有个来自奥菲莉亚的问题。
We got a question from Ophelia.
你之前提到从教练汤姆那里学到的东西,但我们现在要反过来谈。
You were talking about learning from your coach Tom, but we're gonna flip it.
所以奥菲莉亚问,回顾过去,你曾经指导过的一名球员教会了你关于成为一名好教练最重要的经验是什么?
So Ophelia asks, looking back, what's the most important lesson a player that you used to coach has taught you about what it means to be a good coach?
哦,很好的问题。
Oh, good good question.
我会向那些优秀的人提出很多问题。
I ask a lot of questions with with people that are great.
明白吗?
Okay?
就像我之前提到的约翰尼·麦克,我刚和他一起工作时,他的状态已经跌到了谷底。
And like I said earlier with Johnny Mac, when I first started with him, he had really fallen.
我的意思是,当时他在世界范围内的排名已经跌出前30名。
I mean, just inside 30, in the world.
为了让他重回巅峰,我看了大量的比赛录像,并不断提出一些观点。
And to get him back, I looked at a lot of films and I I would bring stuff up.
你知道,他的标准非常高。
And, you know, his standard was so high.
他说他从不怀念,拉里。
I don't he he would just say, I don't miss it, Larry.
看这个?
See this?
我每一球都打在这个位置,这就是他的标准。
I hit every ball right here, and that was his standard.
那一定很棒。
That's gotta be nice.
里奥斯也是这样。
It was and and Rios the same way.
他们每次都能打在拍面正中心,球速快得惊人。
They hit it in middle of the racket every single time, and the ball is ripping.
里奥斯和麦克属于不同的世代。
That was a different generation Rios from from Mac.
但在2019年他复出时,他在多伦多对阵了乔纳森·斯塔克。
But in '19 when he started coming back, he played Jonathan Stark in Toronto.
那是一场大师赛。
And it was a master series.
他赢下了第一轮。
And he had won his first round.
我觉得他赢了像伍德福德之类的人。
I think he beat someone like Woodford or so.
我都记不清是谁了。
I don't even remember who.
他又在第二轮对阵斯塔克,而斯塔克也是斯坦福的校友。
Again, he's playing second round against Stark and he's a fellow Stanford guy.
他以六比零、五比一领先。
He's up six zero five one.
不,是六比零、五比零,约翰尼对阵乔纳森·斯塔克。
No, six zero five zero, Johnny against Jonathan Stark.
他把对方打得毫无还手之力,明白吗?
He's just beating the lip and crap out of him, okay?
我认识乔纳森,而且当时我刚开始打大力发球。
And I knew Jonathan and Yeah, I was just starting as a big serve.
对,大力发球。
Yeah, big serve.
所以他就像这样接球,然后不断上网,而斯塔奇完全被压垮了。
And so he's just taking balls like this and coming in on everybody and and Starchy is just totally overwhelmed.
麦克的比分是15比30,他上网用反手截击,却打飞了,把球拍摔得粉碎。
And Mac has I think fifteen thirty, he comes in with a backhand volley and misses it long and smashes his racket in a million pieces.
好吧。
Okay.
不是。
No.
摔得粉碎。
In a million pieces.
我心里想,天哪。
And I'm thinking to myself, oh my god.
这家伙简直疯了。
This guy this guy's lost his flipping mind.
比赛结束后,我们在更衣室里,我走过去找他。
So after the match, we're in the locker room and I go up to him.
我说:嘿,约翰尼。
Said, hey, Johnny.
那到底是怎么回事?
What was that?
他问:你在说什么?
He goes, what are you talking about?
他说:你他妈的。
He go, well, you fuck.
你知道的,他是斯坦福的哥们。
You know, it's fellow Stanford guy.
我还以为,你知道的,你可能会以6比0赢他?
I thought maybe, you know, you're you're gonna beat him o and o?
好吧。
Okay.
他说:‘你在说什么?’
He goes, what are you talking about?
我说,他说:‘不。’
I said he said, no.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
拉里,你不懂这个。
Larry, you don't understand this.
展开剩余字幕(还有 233 条)
你不明白。
You don't understand.
好吧。
Okay.
那个球本可以轻松地在网顶完成反手截击,但你知道他的性格,错过这种球是完全不可接受的。
That ball was an easy backhand volley on top of the net, and it's totally you know how he is, totally unacceptable to miss that ball.
你知道为什么这不可接受吗?
And you know why it's unacceptable?
因为这本可能发生在温布尔登决赛上。
Because that could have been at Wimbledon final.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以当你这样做的时候,这正是我学到的关于卓越标准的最重要一课。
And so when you this carries over, that that that that's one of the biggest lessons I ever learned of standard of excellence.
每一球都很重要。
Every point matters.
博格就有这种标准。
Borg had it.
麦克也有这种标准。
Mac had it.
某些球员,这种失误是完全不可接受的。
Certain guys, it was totally unacceptable.
明白吗?
Okay?
所以当比约恩36岁重返赛场,为洛杉矶弦乐队打球时,我和他一起打过团队网球。
And so I played team tennis with Bjorn when he came back when he was 36 for the LA strings.
我既是球员又是教练,我们打双打。
I was a player coach, and we played doubles.
我开始谈论这件事。
I started talking about it.
我说:嘿。
I said, hey.
嘿。
Hey.
嘿,比约恩。
Hey, Bjorn.
你还记得你在法网四分之一决赛对阵特里·摩尔的时候吗?
Do you remember when you played Terry Moore in the quarterfinals of of of the French Open?
他说:‘哦,腿。’
Goes, oh, leg.
当然,我记得。
Of course, I remember.
我当时说,好吧。
Here I said I said, okay.
你走进新闻发布会。
You go into the you go into the press conference.
我们都在更衣室里。
We're all in the locker room.
你以6-0、6-0、6-1赢了他。
You beat him six zero six zero six one.
是6-0、6-0、5-0。
It's six zero six zero five o.
突然间你正手打进网里,反手又打在网中央,然后你就像是故意丢掉了那一局,对吧?
And all of a sudden you go forehand in the net, backhand in the middle of the net and then you it was like, you you threw that game, didn't you?
我们交到了真正的好朋友。
We got we got really good friends.
他说:‘不。’
He goes, no.
他在新闻发布会上说:‘不。’
He says in the press conference, no.
不。
No.
不。
No.
你敢说我会丢掉一分然后故意输掉一盘吗?
Dare you say I would lose a point and throw a game.
这绝不可能发生。
That would never happen.
这绝不可能发生。
That would never happen.
当我十年后,也就是1936年,认识他时,他26岁就退役了,他说我们在巴尔的摩某个不起眼的酒吧打团队网球。
And he when I got to know him ten years later, '30 six, he retired at 26, he says, we're in a bar in nowhere Baltimore playing team tennis.
他说,我之所以这么问,是因为我们当时喝了几杯,情况就是这样。
And he says, I say, I throw the question because, you know, we had a couple drinks this and that.
好吧。
Okay.
几百块。
Couple 100.
好吧。
Okay.
他说,拉里,当然,我故意输了那场比赛。
And he says, Larry, of course, I threw the game.
你觉得呢?
What do you think?
你是觉得我正手或反手打在网上了吗?
I you think I missed a backhand in the net or a forehand in the net?
我从来没打在网过。
I never missed in the net.
我说,我就知道。
I said, I knew it.
我们都说过你故意输了那场比赛。
We've all said you threw that game.
他不想赢他。
He didn't wanna beat him.
哦,哦,没有。
Oh, oh, and no.
好的。
Okay.
所以你会谈到某些人和标准。
And so you talk about certain individuals and the standard.
那是最了不起的事情之一。
That was one of the that was one of the greatest things.
这些家伙,他们每一球都打得像生死攸关一样,这就是他们打球的方式。
These guys, they don't they played every point like it was their life dependent on it, and that's how they played the game.
可不是像现在这样,你知道的,他们做些动作,击出好球后还亲吻自己的手臂。
It wasn't like this, you know, this this thing that they do and they're kissing their arms and when they hit a good shot.
我不明白这一套,或者这种行为。
I don't understand that whole deal or this.
请再给点掌声。
More applause please.
我的意思是,你们在干什么?
I mean, what are you doing?
我喜欢亲眼见证比赛的展开,因为这才是我的娱乐。
I like to see the actual event unfold as that's my entertainment.
当你看到阿尔卡·雷扎的一些表现时,你会忍不住说:天哪。
I would like when you see Alka Reza's certain things he does, you go, holy crap.
那是什么?
What is that?
这 guy 简直不可思议。
This guy's I mean, unbelievable.
而其他的,你会说
Then other ones you go
肖恩。
Sean.
你知道的,就像这样。
You know, like this.
肖恩。
Sean.
肖恩,给我。
Sean, give me.
好。
K.
在更多掌声之后,你能再给我一个问题吗?
After go back me more applause, can you give me another question?
我们最后一个
We got our last
问题。
question.
就是这个。
The one.
给老拉里·斯特凡基的最后一个老问题。
The old last one for the old Larry Stefanki.
这个是
This is
一个弗拉默。
a Flammer.
来自
Is from
我们的朋友,这是一个视频问题。
our friend, It's a video question.
嘿,拉里。
Hey, Larry.
马塞洛·里奥斯是我历史上最喜爱的球员。
Marcelo Rios is my favorite player in history.
请用一句话描述你与他共事并指导他的经历。
Please describe working with him and coaching him in one sentence.
哦。
Oh.
哦,天哪。
Oh, jeez.
要说让拉里·斯特凡基用一句话完成一件事,那简直是个他妈的挑战。
Telling by the way, telling Larry Stefanki to do anything in one sentence is a fucking challenge.
我现在就告诉你这么多。
I'll just tell you that much right now.
天生就有天赋。
Born with a gift.
我执教过的球员中,只有两个天生就有天赋,一上场就能自如地回击球,并且拥有扭曲的心理素质。
Only two players I've ever play coached that were born with a gift came out of the box to be able to redirect balls and a twisted mentality.
你在笑呢,凯利。
You're Kelly laughing.
但天哪。
But wow.
当我和他上场时,这孩子对网球的掌控能力,他其实并不喜欢竞争。
When I got on the court with him, what he could do with the tennis ball, this kid, he didn't like to compete.
人们不知道他其实不是一个好胜的人。
People don't know that he was not a competitor.
他喜欢用网球让别人难堪,但他从不展望未来。
He loved to kind of embarrass people with tennis but he didn't look forward.
这就是为什么他从巅峰迅速跌入谷底,因为他达到了目标,然后就直线下滑。
That's why he went from one to oblivion so quick because he had achieved his goal and then literally plummeted.
我从未见过这样的情况,但我早有预感,因为他无法保持专注。
I've never seen anything like it but I kind of knew it because he couldn't stay on point.
他真的在乎别人对他的看法吗?还是那只是种冒犯?
Did he actually care what anyone thought about him or was that affront?
你感觉他心里想的是:‘去他的。’
Like, he you get the feeling like he's like, oh, fuck.
我不在乎。
I don't care.
我才不在乎别人怎么想呢。
I don't give a shit what anyone thinks.
这是真实的,还是只是伪装?
Is that real or is that just a cover?
哦,我觉得他非常不自信,所以确实会在意。
Oh, I I I think he was so insecure that it did bother him.
我来给你讲个我的小故事,你帮我看看是不是这样:当你刚起步时,总会听到很多关于球员的传闻,甚至在真正认识他们之前就听说了他们的名声。
He, I'll I'll tell you my quick story, and tell me if this is like so you hear all these things about players and, like, when you're coming up, you you know people's reputations before you actually know who they are.
有时候你会惊喜地发现,事实和传闻不一样。
And sometimes you're pleasantly surprised.
对吧?
Right?
比如,有时候某个人的名声会让你有某种预期?
Like, sometimes someone will have you know?
安迪·穆雷就是一个绝佳的例子,他年轻时就背负着这样的名声。
Like, Andy Murray is an unbelievable example of someone who is young and had a reputation.
他总是会抱怨。
He would, like, complain.
他表现得非常外露。
He'd demonstrative.
我也是这样。
I was the same way.
我会摔东西,但当你越了解安迪·穆雷,就越会对他改观。
Like, I'd break shit, and it was like but then, like, you the more you get to know Andy Murray, the more you think of him.
对吧?
Right?
你越来越尊重他的网球精神。
Like, you you you you you respect the tennis like you.
他18岁的时候,我根本想不到他会成为我见过的最努力的球员之一。
When he was 18, I couldn't have told you that he was gonna be one of the hardest workers that I've ever seen in this game.
对吧?
Right?
所以有时候你会惊喜地发现。
So sometimes you're pleasantly surprised.
明白吗?
Okay?
而且你越了解他,就越喜欢他。
And you're you're like, the closer you get, the more you like it.
里奥斯有这样一个有趣的名字。
So Rios has this reputation funny.
太搞笑了。
Hilarious.
他就是那个特别搞笑的人。
The and he he's the Hilarious.
他是那种你过三天才能反应过来他讲的笑话的人。
He's the kind of guy where you're gonna get a joke, like, three days later that he told you.
那真是我听过最聪明的笑话。
Like, that's the smartest joke I've ever heard.
但我曾在迈阿密和里奥斯打过一场。
But I play Rios in o one in Miami.
对吧?
Right?
我是世界排名第130位,而他坐的是第20位左右。
And I'm a 130 in the world, and he's seated, you know, 20 or whatever.
我跟他打。
I play him.
每次和他对打,我都能赢,我特别喜欢跟他打。
Every time I played him, I'd I'd beat beat the like, I liked playing him.
那是在之后,你知道的,不管怎样。
And it was after, you know, whatever.
所以,嗯,你
And so Well, you
你之前赢了桑普拉斯。
beat Sampras earlier.
是的。
Yeah.
所以,那是后来的事了。
So, that was later.
那是下一场比赛。
That was the next match.
所以,好吧。
So Okay.
下一
The next
场。
match.
所以我们握手,他停下来,说:嘿。
So the, so we shake hands, and he stops, and he says, hey.
今天打得真不错。
Really well played today.
我心想:哦,谢谢。
And I'm like, oh, thank you.
好的。
K.
所以我们离开了,我当时想,好吧。
So we go off, and I'm like, okay.
根据他的名声,这真是出乎意料。
That was unexpected based on on reputation.
对吧?
Right?
所以我当时想,哦。
So I'm like, oh.
于是那天晚些时候,我跟几个朋友说了这事,他们当时也在打Qualys之类的比赛。
And so I, you know, told couple people later in the day, a couple of my friends who were, like, playing Qualys, whatever.
我当时想,他真的挺友善的。
I was like, I mean, he was like he's very nice.
他走过来,后来又去找了Tariq,说了些好话。
Like, he came up, and then he went up to Tariq afterwards, and he said something nice.
我当时想,哦,原来是这样。
And I was like, oh, it's like, okay.
好吧,听我说。
Well, listen.
这人对我挺好的。
The guy's nice to me.
你知道,你可以听各种说法,但只有亲身经历才算数。
I you know, you can hear everything you want, but until it's lived experience.
第二天早上,我在老贝果店,拉里。
And then I'm at the, the old bagel shop the next morning, Larry.
报纸的头版上有一则新闻。
And there's a there's a front page of the paper.
这在基比斯坎是个大冷门,算是本地新闻。
And and so it's like this was a big upset in the Key Biscayne, and it's like the local thing.
我上了头版,于是我一边吃着那块你不会喜欢的培根、鸡蛋和奶酪三明治,一边仔细读了那篇文章。
And I'm on the front, and so I I I kinda combed through the article as I'm eating the old the old bacon, egg, and cheese that you wouldn't have liked.
是的。
Yeah.
引述里说,这孩子简直烂透了。
And and the quotes are like, this kid fucking sucks.
他只是一个仆人。
He's only a servant.
他最差劲了。
He's the worst.
是的。
Yes.
对。
Yeah.
好。
Yeah.
最差劲的。
The worst.
他根本不会打网球。
He can't play tennis.
我当时就想,好吧。
I was like, okay.
我我我明白。
I I I I understand.
他就是这样的。
Him in a nutshell.
是的。
Yeah.
我明白。
I understand.
这就是他的全部了。
In a nutshell right there.
我明白这一点。
I under I understand that.
总之,拉里,还有别的吗?
Anyways, Larry, anything else?
劳里,你有什么问题要问我们吗?
You got any questions for us, Larry?
比如,你还有别的事吗?
Like, you got anything else?
没有。
No.
真的很喜欢做这个。
Love love doing this.
约翰,你太棒了。
John, you're the greatest.
谢谢。
Thank you.
没有。
No.
这很有趣。
It's been fun.
这真的非常有趣。
It's been a lot of fun.
我喜欢和老安德鲁待在一起,因为我们最近几年没怎么相处。
I love, spending time with old Andrew because we haven't spent much time in the last jeez.
我们两年前吃过一顿饭。
We had dinner two years ago.
我觉得那是在雪地里。
I think it was in snow.
几年前我们在圣地亚哥吃过一顿饭。
We had the dinner a couple years ago in San Diego.
没错。
That's right.
科斯塔。
Costa.
那是
That was
我们马上出来了。
We're, we're coming out.
我们在兰乔办一个活动。
We're doing an event at Rancho.
我们今年会。
We'd in year.
所以我们会把那四位老朋友聚在一起,连续四天。
So we'll we'll you'll you'll get we'll we'll get the the old four days together.
不管怎样,我们会回家。
Anyways We'll be home.
你知道吗?
You know what?
你知道吗?
You know what?
是的。
Yeah.
他们要来了。
We're they're coming.
好吧。
So Okay.
很好。
Good.
你知道吗,我非常看重你。
You know, I think the world of you.
我觉得网球需要更多像你这样的人。
I think tennis needs more of you.
我不喜欢我们很少听到你的消息。
I don't like that we don't hear from you very often.
不
Not
很少。
very often.
我希望你会
I wish You'll
在这儿的拖拉机上找到我。
find me out out here on my tractor.
是的。
Yeah.
我不得不让你感到内疚
I had to guilt you
我曾经
I had
让你过来参加。
to guilt you coming into coming on.
所以希望你拒绝了。
So hopefully said no.
你拒绝了。
Said no.
不。
No.
不。
No.
但,是的,我的意思是,这
But, yeah, I mean, it's
一直是个,它曾经是
been a of It was it was
我们有一些新故事。
We have some new stories.
嗨,拉里。
Hi, Larry.
你好吗?
How are you?
你能过来做这件事吗?上个月我花了半小时为你做了一次采访。
Can you can you come on and do this thing since I spent a half hour doing an interview for you last month?
他说,不行。
He goes, no.
你做了。
You did.
是的。
Yeah.
我就知道。
I knew it.
这总是相互的。
It's always reciprocal.
就是这样。
That's it.
互惠。
Reciprocation.
就是这样。
That's it.
总之,拉里,我爱你,兄弟。
Anyways, Larry, love you, man.
感谢你这周在《Served》节目上抽出时间,希望我们很快能再见面。
Thanks for your time this week on on Served, and, I hope, hope we get to see each other soon.
我们会的。
We will.
干杯,伙计。
Cheers, buddy.
好的。
Okay.
谢谢。
Thanks.
这真的很有趣。
It's been a lot of fun.
好吧。
Alright.
再见。
Bye bye.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。