本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
NPR的支持及以下信息来自威廉和弗洛拉·休利特基金会,该基金会致力于投资富有创造力的思想者和问题解决者,帮助人们、社区和地球繁荣发展。
Support for NPR and the following message come from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, investing in creative thinkers and problem solvers who help people, communities, and the planet flourish.
更多信息请访问hewlett.org。
More information is available at hewlett.org.
您正在收听NPR的短波节目。
You're listening to shortwave from NPR.
我是马迪·索菲亚。
Maddie Sofia here.
感谢您收听NPR每日科学播客《短波》的这一期节目。
Thanks for checking out this episode of shortwave, the daily science podcast from NPR.
今天到场的是NPR健康事务记者艾莉森·奥布里。
Here today with NPR health correspondent Allison Aubrey.
嗨,艾莉森。
Hey, Allison.
嗨,马迪。
Hey there, Maddie.
今天,我们要讨论的是一个目前频繁登上新闻头条的话题。
Today, we're talking about something that's in the headlines a lot right now.
是的。
Yep.
电子烟。
Vaping.
对。
Right.
今天你将为我们讲述一个你最近遇到的年轻女性的故事,她叫派珀·约翰逊。
And you're gonna start us off today with a story about a young woman that you met recently, Piper Johnson.
对。
Right.
她18岁。
So she's 18.
在高中二年级时,她开始吸电子烟。
And when she was in high school, her sophomore year, she started vaping.
去年夏天,就在她家人收拾行李准备送她去上大学的时候,她开始感到胸口疼痛。
Then last summer, right around the time when her family was packing up the car to take her off to college, she started feeling some pain in her chest.
我当时真没当回事。
You I didn't really think anything of it.
我吃了点布洛芬。
I took some Advil for it.
然后我们出发那天,我觉得自己可能是得了支气管炎什么的。
And then the day we left, I was like, I think I have bronchitis or something.
我当时发着烧。
Like, I was running a fever.
我的心率高得吓人。
My heart rate was, like, super, super high.
我特别疲惫,浑身没劲儿。
I was super, like, lethargic and stuff.
于是她和妈妈没有去大学校园,而是直接去了医院,先去了急诊室,然后进了重症监护室。
So instead of heading to the college campus, she and her mom went to the hospital, first to the ER, and then to the ICU.
我的血氧水平一直在持续下降,越来越低。
My oxygen levels just kept going down, like, more and more.
一开始他们给我吸一升氧气,然后增加到两升,最后我被转入ICU,因为我要吸35升氧气。
First, they put me on, like, one liter, then two liter, and then I had to be moved to the ICU because I was on 35 liters of oxygen.
哇。
Wow.
她几乎都喘不上气了。
That she is, like, barely breathing
靠自己呼吸。
on her own.
对。
Right.
拼命喘气。
Gasping for air.
最疯狂的是。
And here's the crazy thing.
我的意思是,医生一直说,哦,你得了肺炎。
I mean, all along, the doctors are like, oh, you have pneumonia.
哦,我们要给你用抗生素。
Oh, we're gonna put you on antibiotics.
这一定是某种传染病。
It must be some kind of infectious disease.
你接触过其他生病的人吗?
Have you been around other sick people?
过了很久他们才意识到这是电子烟引起的。
It took a long time before they realized this was vaping.
哦,我吓坏了。
Oh, I was terrified.
我完全不知道发生了什么,因为一周前我还好好的。
I I had no idea what was happening to me because I was, like, perfectly healthy a week ago.
我认为派珀的故事真正凸显了电子烟这一更广泛的流行病。
I think Piper's story really brings into focus this wider epidemic of vaping.
像派珀这样的人,目前大约有一千三百人因 vaping 而严重生病,他们前一天还健康地走路,一周后却几乎无法呼吸。
There are about thirteen hundred people like Piper who've become crazy sick, right, in the hospital, walking around one day healthy, a week later barely breathing.
是的。
Right.
这些突然出现的、非常奇特的病例,已经开始引起人们对 vaping 这一习惯的广泛关注,而过去人们一直把它当作吸烟的替代品。
So these cases, these very odd cases that come on out of nowhere, have really begun to shine a spotlight on this habit of vaping that used to be talked about as an alternative to smoking.
所以今天在《短波》节目中,我们来探讨一下,我们究竟知道什么、不知道什么,关于为什么吸电子烟的人会生病。
So today on shortwave, what we do know and what we don't, about why vapers are getting sick.
这条信息来自 Wise,一款专为全球使用货币的国际人士设计的应用。
This message comes from Wise, the app for international people using money around the globe.
你只需轻点几下,即可发送、消费和接收多达 40 种货币。
You can send, spend, and receive in up to 40 currencies with only a few simple taps.
聪明一点。
Be smart.
下载 Wise。
Get Wise.
立即下载Wise应用或访问wise.com。
Download the Wise app today or visit wise.com.
条款和条件适用。
Ts and Cs apply.
NPR的支持及以下信息来自威廉和弗洛拉·休利特基金会,该基金会致力于资助富有创造力的思想者和问题解决者,帮助人们、社区和地球繁荣发展。
Support for NPR and the following message come from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, investing in creative thinkers and problem solvers who help people, communities, and the planet flourish.
更多信息请访问hewlett.org。
More information is available at hewlett.org.
那么Piper现在怎么样了?
So how's Piper doing now?
你知道,她现在好多了。
You know, she's doing a
好太多了。
whole lot better.
她实际上已经回学校了,状态很好。
She's actually in school, doing fine.
她已经戒掉了电子烟,现在成了一个倡导者,鼓励其他像她一样的年轻人和年轻成年人也戒掉。
She has stopped vaping, and now she has become this advocate to get other young people, young adults like her to stop.
她参加了一次集会。
She participated in a rally.
本月,她作为大规模宣传活动的一部分,在电子烟公司Juul的办公室外进行了示威。
She demonstrated outside the offices of the ecigarette company Juul this month as part of this big awareness campaign.
我不希望任何人再经历我所承受的痛苦,因为说实话,那是我一生中最痛苦的经历。
I don't wanna have anyone else go through, like, the pain I experienced because honestly, it was the most painful experience of my entire life.
我当时躺在床上,哭得稀里哗啦,因为呼吸太痛苦了。
Like, I was laying in my bed, like, sobbing because it hurts so bad to breathe.
没有人应该经历这样的事。
Like, nobody should have to go through that.
我们知道为什么这些人在吸电子烟后会生病吗?
Do we know why these people are getting sick from vaping?
这正是那个价值百万美元的问题,梅迪。
That is the million dollar question, Maddie.
大多数患者承认使用过含THC的电子烟。
A majority of patients acknowledge vaping THC.
这是大麻中的精神活性成分。
That's the psychoactive component of marijuana.
许多人使用过一种名为“dank vapes”的假冒电子烟产品。
Many have used a type of counterfeit vapes called dank vapes.
好的。
Okay.
Dank dank vapes?
Dank dank vapes?
我们说的是一个公司吗?
Are we talking about a company?
其实不是一家公司。
Or Not a company, really.
这更像是贴在某些 cartridge(烟弹)上的标签,这些是非法生产的烟弹,你根本不知道里面到底装了什么。
It's, sort of a label that gets slapped onto some of these cartridges, these bootleg cartridges, and you really don't know what's in them.
是的。
Right.
所以Dank就像是某种暗号,表示
So Dank is, code like, for
Dank挺酷的。
Dank is kinda cool.
优质的 marijuana,
Good good weed,
我想是这样。
I think.
我不确定。
I don't know.
我这么说对吗?
Am I right?
我非常印象深刻。
I'm very impressed.
继续。
Keep going.
好的。
Okay.
但你知道,尽管如此,这场疫情的爆发原因尚不明确。
But, you know, that said, the outbreak of this epidemic is unclear.
我的意思是,一开始,你总听到疾控中心在寻找一个单一的病因。
I mean, in the beginning, there was this hunt for this singular cause you kept hearing from the CDC.
每天,简直不放过任何线索。
Any day, like, no stone unturned.
我们一定会找到引发这场疫情的元凶。
We're gonna find the thing causing this epidemic.
结果发现,情况可能要复杂得多。
Well, turns out it's probably a lot more complicated.
我的意思是,首先,有些人只吸电子烟中的尼古丁。
I mean, for starters, some people have only been vaping nicotine.
我们来谈谈这些尼古丁电子烟液里都有什么。
And let's just talk about what you find in these nicotine vaping fluids.
明白吗?
Alright?
首先,有尼古丁,这是已知最具成瘾性的物质之一。
For starters, there's nicotine, one of the most addictive substances known.
然后你再加入一些挥发性有机化合物,比如苯。
Then you add in a little volatile organic compounds such as benzene.
谁会希望这些东西进入自己的肺部呢?
Who doesn't want that in their lungs?
再加点微量金属,听起来很诱人吧?
Put some trace metals in there, sound appealing.
最后,你还要加点香精来收尾。
Then you're gonna top off this cocktail with the flavorings.
我们现在知道,这些香精正是吸引青少年的关键因素。
Now we know that the flavorings are part of what teens are attracted to.
对。
Right.
他们说,哦,是西瓜味。
They say, oh, it's watermelon flavor.
是那种多汁水果味。
It's, you know, juicy fruit flavor.
那你知道吗?
Well, guess what?
他们并不是用真正的西瓜来制作西瓜味的。
They don't make the watermelon flavor out of the fruit.
这些味道都是用化学物质调配出来的。
They make these things out of chemicals.
他们使用的一种化学物质叫做二乙酰。
And one chemical they use is called diacetyl.
二乙酰绝对不是你愿意主动吸入肺里的东西。
Diacetyl is definitely not something you want to be voluntarily putting into your lungs.
它可能导致一种状况,使肺部微小的气囊变得瘢痕化和狭窄。
It can lead to this condition where the tiny air sacs in your lungs become scarred and narrowed.
疾控中心的调查人员对此并非毫无察觉。
And this is not lost on investigators at the CDC.
以下是负责这项调查的女性。
Here's the woman leading the investigation.
她的名字叫安妮·舒查特。
Her name is Anne Schuchat.
电子烟或吸雾产品中可能含有许多不同的有害物质,它们可能对肺部造成不同的伤害。
There may be a lot of different nasty things in e cigarette or vaping products, and they may cause different harms in the lung.
你几乎不可能知道电子烟或吸雾产品中究竟含有什么。
It is pretty much impossible for you to know what is in the, e cigarette or vape vaping product.
所以政府甚至都不知道这些东西里面有什么。
So the government doesn't even know what's in this stuff.
对吧?
Right?
但感觉它正变得越来越流行。
And yet it feels like it's becoming more and more popular.
没错。
Absolutely.
青少年使用电子烟确实变得更加普遍。
Teen vaping has definitely become more popular.
联邦调查显示,有百分之二十五的高中高年级学生表示,他们在过去三十天内使用过含尼古丁的电子烟。
Federal surveys show that twenty five percent of high school seniors say they have vaped nicotine in the last thirty days.
哇。
Wow.
这是一个惊人的数字。
That's an astounding number.
好的。
Okay.
我们还应该说明一下,对于那些觉得‘电子烟不健康有什么好惊讶的’的人。
And we should say, for people who are like, why is it surprising that vaping is unhealthy?
不健康?
Unhealthy?
这些东西一直被大力宣传为比香烟更健康的替代品,是帮助人们戒烟的方式。
This stuff has been heavily marketed as a healthy alternative to cigarettes, as a way to get you off cigarettes.
对吧?
Right?
没错。
That's right.
我的意思是,Juul是目前远超其他公司的电子烟制造商,今年早些时候推出了一项名为‘换用吧’的大规模广告活动。
I mean, Juul, which is far and away the biggest company making these e cigarettes, earlier this year launched a big ad campaign campaign called Make the Switch.
我曾经每天抽一包烟,持续了三十三年。
I was a pack a day smoker for thirty three years.
我试了一口,吸了几下,惊讶地发现它和香烟的味道非常相似。
I popped a pot in it and took a couple of puffs, and I was surprised at how similar it was to a cigarette.
他想吸的时候就在家里用Juul,这样他就愿意待在家里,而不是总待在外面。
He uses Juul in the house whenever he wants, so it keeps him in our house instead of keeping him out of our house.
哇。
Wow.
所以我想
So I
你觉得
think You
你知道吗,我应该指出,如果你每天吸两包香烟,改用电子烟可能有益。
know, I should point out that it is possible that if you're a two pack a day cigarette smoker, switching to e cigarettes could be beneficial.
那里可能有一些危害降低。
There could be some harm reduction there.
但公共卫生专家一致认为,通过这些电子烟让新一代年轻人上瘾尼古丁,绝对不是一件好事。
But public health experts agree that there is no chance at all that hooking a new generation of young people on nicotine via these e cigarettes is a good thing to do.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们提到,政府无法确切说明这些物质中哪些可能对某些人有害。
So we mentioned the government can't say exactly what these things are that might be dangerous for some people.
那他们在此期间有在做些什么吗?
Is there anything they are doing in the meantime?
你知道的,
Well, you know,
他们正在做很多事情。
they're doing lots of things.
疾控中心已经加强了警告。
The CDC has intensified its warnings.
食品药品监督管理局已动员其刑事部门开始调查。
The FDA has galvanized its criminal unit to start investigating.
但说实话,现在这仍然是一团乱麻。
But really right now, it's still a big hot mess.
我的意思是,我们谈的是非法的THC,还有经过监管的电子烟产品。
I mean, we're talking illicit THC, regulated, you know, e cigarette products.
这里有太多可能性了。
There's so many possibilities out there.
我要说,电子烟的监管显然属于FDA的职责范围。
I will say that the regulation of e cigarettes clearly falls under the FDA purview.
特朗普总统曾一度表示支持在全国范围内禁止调味电子烟。
And president Trump at one point came out in support of a national ban on flavored e cigarettes.
但到目前为止,联邦层面尚未采取任何行动。
But so far, there's been no action on the federal level.
我们已经看到各州开始独立采取措施。
We have seen states step in to act independently.
是的。
Right.
对。
Right.
还有更多州正在研究此事。
And more states are looking into it.
这你以前也谈过,但你知道,这件事对你来说很个人化。
So this is something you've talked about before, but, you know, this is personal for you.
你家里有青少年。
You've got the teens at home.
没错。
That's right.
我有两个十几岁的儿子,我大儿子刚上高中一年级。
I have two teenage sons, and my older son was a freshman in high school.
有一天,我们在车道上,我丈夫发现地上有一块碎掉的塑料东西,就捡了起来。
And so one day, we were in the driveway, and my husband spotted this plastic medley thing that was cracked on the driveway, and he picked it up.
我丈夫说,我觉得这可能是那种电子烟设备。
And my husband was like, I think this might be this this vaping thing.
我丈夫说:‘这玩意儿是个酷炫的电子烟啊,艾莉森。’
Your husband was like That's a dank vape, Allison.
不是。
No.
我们俩当时都完全不懂,对吧?
We were both sort of clueless, right?
我们这些中年人,就这样。
Here we are, these middle aged people.
我们的儿子在吸电子烟。
Our son is vaping.
我们却在想,这到底是什么?
And we're like, what is this?
对吧?
Right?
所以我们最终还是找他谈了。
So we finally we confront him.
他承认了,是的,这确实是个电子烟,而且他说‘大家都这么玩’。
And, you know, he acknowledges, yes, it it is a vape and quote unquote, everybody is doing it.
对。
Right.
你知道,我觉得
You know, and I think
我丈夫和我之所以对这件事如此担忧,是因为尼古丁这种物质极具成瘾性,对吧?
the reason why my husband and I were so alarmed by this is that this stuff, nicotine, is so incredibly addictive, right?
现在已经有证据表明,它会促使大脑对其他物质产生成瘾倾向。
I mean, there's now evidence that it primes the brain for addiction to other substances.
它确实会妨碍学习。
It can definitely get in the way of learning.
它会导致注意力问题。
It can cause attention problems.
我的意思是,这东西有太多坏处了。
I mean, there's just a host of stuff that's bad about this.
Juul和其他电子烟制造商已经找到了方法,让这些电子烟变得极其强烈。
And Juul and other vape makers have found a way to make these vapes really, really potent.
他们使用的是尼古丁盐。
They're using nicotine salts.
嗯。
Mhmm.
专家表示,这可能使成瘾性更强。
And experts say this may be making it even more addictive.
对。
Right.
而且在高中里确实存在一种吸电子烟的文化,你儿子也提到了这一点。
And there there really is this, like, vaping culture in high school, your son kind of alluded to.
没错。
Absolutely.
我的意思是,我记得看过一些视频,孩子们趁老师不注意时在教室里炫耀吸烟。
I mean, I remember watching these videos of kids kind of showing off smoking in the classroom, like, when the teachers' backs were turned.
对吧?
Right?
就好像它是专门设计成
As if it were designed to
可以隐藏的。
be hidden.
是的。
Yes.
因此,这种文化加上尼古丁这种真正成瘾的物质,似乎正在创造一种环境,让新一代以一种被宣传为并不那么糟糕的方式接触尼古丁。
And so there's that culture combined with the, like, truly addicting substance of nicotine that feels like it's just creating this environment for a new generation to pick up nicotine in a way that's kind of been advertised is, you know,
并不那么糟糕。
not so bad.
而且,批评者说,你看。
And, you know, critics are saying, look.
我的意思是,我们这一代青少年才是这里的实验品。
I mean, our generation, my generation of teenagers, they're the guinea pigs here.
NPR健康记者艾莉森·奥布里,谢谢您。
NPR health correspondent Allison Aubrey, thank you.
谢谢你,马迪。
Thank you, Maddie.
我是马迪·索菲亚。
I'm Maddie Sofia.
明天回来收听关于ASMR科学及其与当下互联网热门趋势——黏液的关联的节目。
Come back tomorrow for an episode about the science of ASMR and how that's connected to a big Internet trend of the moment, slime.
明天请锁定NPR的Shortwave节目。
That's tomorrow on shortwave from NPR.
NPR及以下内容的支持来自威廉和弗洛拉·休利特基金会,该基金会致力于资助富有创造力的思想者和问题解决者,帮助人们、社区和地球繁荣发展。
Support for NPR and the following message come from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, investing in creative thinkers and problem solvers who help people, communities, and the planet flourish.
更多信息请访问hewlett.org。
More information is available at hewlett.org.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。