本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
今天在《你该知道的事》节目中,带来一些超实用的新生活小妙招。
Today on Something You Should Know, some great new life hacks.
其中一个妙招能让你的草莓不容易快速发霉。
One that will keep your strawberries from going moldy so fast.
接着,来自《消费者报告》的专家们分享了在新的一年里省钱的好方法,比如砍价。
Then from the experts at Consumer Reports, great ways to save money in the new year, like haggling.
比如,你知道吗?你可以和商家协商轮胎的更优惠价格。
For instance, did you know you can negotiate a better price on tires?
我们做了一项调查,发现那些协商轮胎价格的购物者,近四分之三都成功了,平均每条轮胎节省了22美元。
We did a survey and we found that shoppers who negotiated tire prices were successful almost three quarters of the time and they saved a median of $22 per tire.
此外,还有当数羊不管用时如何入睡,以及如何应对尴尬,先从我们为什么会感到尴尬说起。
Also, how to fall asleep when counting sheep doesn't work and dealing with embarrassment, starting with why we get embarrassed in the first place.
我们知道,人们常常以为自己处在聚光灯下,别人正在严厉评判、嘲笑或取笑他们。
We know that people imagine that there's a spotlight on them and that others are judging them harshly and mocking them or laughing at them.
但实际上,大多数人想的都是自己。
And most people are actually thinking about themselves.
他们根本不会想你或我。
They're not thinking about you or me.
今天所有内容尽在《你应该知道的事》。
All this today on something you should know.
《你应该知道的事》,精彩资讯、世界顶尖专家见解,以及你生活中能用上的实用建议。
Something you should know, fascinating intel, the world's top experts, and practical advice you can use in your life.
今天,《你应该知道的事》由迈克·卡鲁瑟斯为您带来。
Today, something you should know with Mike Carruthers.
嗨。
Hi.
新年快乐。
Happy New Year.
欢迎收听2018年《你应该知道的事》播客的第一期节目。
Welcome to the first episode of twenty eighteen of the Something You Should Know podcast.
我是迈克·赫罗布罗斯。
I'm Mike Herbrothers.
在继续之前,首先感谢你们让去年2017年成为这个节目突破性的一年。
And before we go on, first, thank you for making last year, 2017, such a stellar breakout year for this program.
我的意思是,我们达到了前所未有的听众规模,而且听众数量还在持续增长。
I mean, we hit huge new audience highs and the audience continues to grow.
感谢你们收听,并向其他人推荐这个播客。
Thanks to you for listening and telling other people about this podcast.
这种增长真的非常惊人。
The growth has really been amazing.
所以,谢谢你们。
So thank you.
我们以生活小窍门开启2018年的第一期节目,因为我超爱生活小窍门。
We start the first program of 2018 with life hacks, Cause I love life hacks.
这些都是一些很棒的窍门。
And these are some good ones.
它们来自《家居美好》杂志。
They come from House Beautiful magazine.
首先,你怎么去除衣服上的止汗剂污渍?
First of all, how do you remove deodorant stains from clothes?
嗯,有个小窍门。
Well, there's a little trick.
你找一些干洗店通常包在衣架上的那种泡沫。
You get some of that foam that comes wrapped around the hanger from most dry cleaners.
你知道的,当你取回衣服时,它们会被那种泡沫包裹着。
You know, when you get your clothes back, they've got that foam wrapped around it.
你只要把那块泡沫拿来,擦在止汗剂污渍的地方,污渍就消失了。
Well, you just take that foam, rub it on the deodorant stained spot, and the spot is gone.
不需要用水。
No water required.
这里有一个人人都能用的技巧,就是如何延长草莓的保鲜期。
Here's one everyone can use, and that is how to extend the life of strawberries.
你有没有过买了一篮草莓,带回家后第二天还没来得及吃,它们就已经发霉了?
How often have you bought a basket of strawberries and brought them home and the next day they're moldy before you've even had a chance to use them?
但如果你在把草莓放进冰箱前,用一杯醋和三杯水浸泡一下,就能杀死导致草莓快速发霉的细菌。
But if you wash the strawberries in one cup of vinegar and three cups of water before you put them in the fridge, you'll kill that bacteria that makes them go moldy so quickly.
你只需要确保在存放前把它们彻底晾干。
You just have to be sure you dry them thoroughly before you store them away.
接下来教大家如何减少使用纸巾。
Here's how to use fewer paper towels.
因为你知道,清理污渍时很容易随手抓一大叠纸巾。
Because, you know, it's easy to just grab a wad of paper towels to clean up a mess.
但其实有一种方法可以让你用少得多的纸巾就能完成清洁。
But there is a technique that allows you to use far fewer paper towels.
你只需要一次用一张纸巾,秘诀是:先把它折叠起来。
All you do is use one paper towel at a time, and here's the trick: fold it first.
当你折叠纸巾时,就会产生一种叫做‘层间悬浮’的现象。
When you fold a paper towel, it allows for something called interstitial suspension to occur.
这意味着水分小滴会附着在纸巾上,同时也会在折痕之间相互吸附,从而大幅增加单张纸巾的吸水量。
What that means is that the droplets of moisture can cling to the towel as well as each other in between the fold, basically increasing the amount that the paper towel can actually hold.
它能吸收的量多得真是惊人。
It's really amazing how much more it will hold.
接下来这个技巧,任何经常在厨房里的人都会喜欢。
And here's one that anyone who spends time in the kitchen will like.
这是如何更快地削土豆皮的方法。
It's how to peel potatoes faster.
不要在把土豆放进沸水前花时间去削皮,只需在中间切一道口子,深度足以刺破表皮即可。
Instead of taking the time to peel your potatoes before putting them in the boiling water, just make a cut around the middle, deep enough to puncture the skin.
煮好后,土豆皮会轻松地自己脱落。
Then after cooking, the skins will literally peel right off.
这可是你该知道的事情。
And that is something you should know.
如果你想让今年成为你开始存钱的一年,现在就可以开始一些简单的策略,帮你把更多钱留在口袋里。
If you'd like to make this new year the year you start saving some money, there are a few simple strategies that you can start doing right now that will allow you to keep more money in your pocket.
这些建议都来自《消费者报告》杂志。
And these are things recommended by Consumer Reports Magazine.
事实上,和我一起的是《消费者报告》的高级编辑托比·斯坦格。
In fact, joining me is senior editor for Consumer Reports, Toby Stenger.
嗨,托比。
Hi, Toby.
我们先从汽车保险说起,因为据我所知,这其实是一种非常简单的方法,只需做一点功课,每年就能实实在在地省下数百美元。
And and let's start with car insurance because from what I can tell, that's a pretty simple way to literally put hundreds of dollars back in your own pocket every year just by doing a little bit of homework.
那你发现了什么?
So what did you discover?
我们发现,你可能会通过换掉你的汽车保险公司而获得更优惠的价格,因为忠诚度折扣并不像人们想象的那样存在。
We found that, you may get a better price by breaking up with your car insurer because loyalty discounts do not necessarily exist the way people think they do.
我们分析了数十亿条数据,发现一个人在一家公司待得久,并不意味着他们就能拿到最优惠的价格。
We have done number crunching with billions of pieces of data and found that just because someone has been with a company a long time doesn't mean that they're going to get the best price.
他们通常更倾向于吸引新客户。
They often are trying to attract new clients.
他们可能是在惩罚你。
They may be punishing you.
也许他们并不太想要你这样的客户,可能是由于你的年龄、性别或其他因素。
Maybe they don't really want you as a client that much and so because of your demographic or whatever.
所以他们提供的价格可能不如你换一家新公司能得到的好。
And so maybe they're not offering you as good a price as you could get with a new company.
我认为人们不买汽车保险的原因之一是因为这太麻烦了。
Well, one of the one of the reasons I think people don't shop for car insurance is because it's hard.
我的意思是,你得给每家公司打电话。
I mean, you've gotta call each company.
你得确保比较的是同一类保险,也就是保障范围要一致。
You've gotta make sure you're comparing apples to apples, that you're looking at the the same coverage.
那么,最好的购物方式是什么?怎样才能让这个过程尽可能简单、不那么痛苦?
So what's the best way to shop to make this, as easy and less painful as possible?
我们喜欢一个叫 thezebra.com 的网站,就是斑马的那个 zebra,它可以比较多家汽车保险公司的价格。
So we like a website called thezebra.com, like the animal, the zebra, which compares a bunch of different auto insurance companies' prices.
你输入自己的信息即可。
You put in your information.
你不需要提供太详细的信息,但要足够让对方能给你做比较,提供十几种不同的报价,你会惊讶于不同保险公司对相同保险范围的定价差异有多大。
You don't have to get really detailed, but enough information so they can give you comparisons and they can give you more than a dozen different prices, you'd be surprised at how different the same coverage can cost among different, insurers.
你研究中让我惊讶的一点是,建议你应该去谈判轮胎价格。
One thing that surprised me in your research was the recommendation that that you should, negotiate tire prices.
我们做了一项调查,发现那些谈判轮胎价格的消费者,近四分之三都成功了,平均每条轮胎节省了22美元。
We did a survey, and we found that shoppers who negotiated tire prices were successful almost three quarters of the time, and they saved a median of $22 per tire.
这相当令人印象深刻。
So that's pretty impressive.
我们发现,特别是在Discount Tire、Firestone Complete Auto Care和Tires Plus购物的消费者,成功率达到80%或更高。
We found in particular consumers who shopped at Discount Tire, Firestone Complete Auto Care, and Tires Plus reported success rates of 80% or greater.
这到底是怎么回事?
So what the heck?
去试试吧。
Try it.
谁能想到呢?
Who would have thought?
我从来没想到要去砍轮胎的价格,因为这虽然是一笔不小的开销,但也不算特别大。
I would have never thought to negotiate tire price just because it's not such a huge it's it's a big expense, but it's not a huge expense.
所以我根本不会想到去问一下。
So I I wouldn't even think to ask.
总的来说,我们发现讨价还价非常有用。
Well, haggling in general, we find out if we found out is is very useful.
我们做了一项调查,发现很多消费者即使在网上购物时也会讨价还价。
We did a survey and found out that a lot of our consumers even haggle when they deal online.
那你要怎么做到呢?
Now how do you do that?
嗯,你可以联系客服。
Well, you get the customer service.
你知道,有在线客服聊天,你可以这么说:我在找一个划算的价钱。
You know, there's a chat with customer service, and you can say something like, I'm looking for a good deal.
如果你能给我打九折,我现在就买。
If you can take 10% off the price, I'll buy it right now.
在很多情况下,你真的可以通过砍价获得在线优惠。
And in a lot of cases, you actually can get an online deal, from haggling.
谁想得到呢?
Who knew?
我知道现在网上有很多新方式和不同的服务,帮助人们购车。
I know there are a lot of new ways now online and different, services that that help people buy cars.
但你提到的附加项目,就是在车价谈好之后,经销商开始加收的各种费用,并告诉你这些有多必要。
But you talk about the add ons, the things that after the price of the car has been negotiated, then the dealer starts adding on all these things and telling you how much you need them.
所以谈谈这些附加项目吧。
So talk about those things.
没错。
Well, right.
尤其是在你最终确定购车时,他们会问你是否想要。
Especially when you're finalizing a new car purchase, they're gonna ask you if you want.
比如,车辆识别码蚀刻,你知道的,就是VIN蚀刻。
For example, VIN etching, you know, the vehicle identification number etching.
我们发现,他们可能会为此收取另外200美元,但你完全可以找独立机械师来做,或者有现成的汽车刻字套件。
And we find that that they might charge another $200 for this, but you can as easily do it, with an independent mechanic, or there are kits, auto engraving kits.
你只需花20美元就能在挡风玻璃上刻上车辆识别码。
You can etch the VIN into the windshield for $20.
是的。
Yeah.
而且还有很多类似的东西。
And and there's a whole bunch of these.
对吧?
Right?
另一个是织物保护。
Another one is fabric protection.
有时他们会向你收取高达400美元的费用,但坦白说,这可能是你花过的最贵的3M防护处理了。
Sometimes, they'll charge you up to $400, and frankly, that's the most expensive Scotchgard treatment your seeds will ever see.
但我们发现,你只需买一罐织物保护剂自己动手就能搞定,而且便宜得多。
But we found that you can just get a can of fabric protector and do it yourself, and it'll cost a lot less.
还有油漆密封剂。
There's also paint sealant.
这作为附加服务可能高达600美元,实际上不过是高价的液体蜡。
This could be up to $600 as an add on, and it's little more than overpriced liquid wax.
所以,同样地,你可以在汽车用品店花大约10美元买一瓶,自己动手就能完成。
So, again, this is something you can get at an auto supply store for about $10 and apply yourself.
还有防锈涂层,价格可能高达800美元。
There's also rust proofing undercoating that can cost $800.
我们发现,如今大多数车辆出厂时都已具备防腐保护,因此对车底进行额外的防锈涂层其实是不必要的。
We find that most vehicles are today manufactured with corrosion protection so that undercoating and the under your car is really unnecessary.
我们还发现,平均而言,购买了延长保修的人在保障费用上多花了数百美元,而他们在维修费用上的节省却少得多。
And we found on average, people who purchased an extended warranty spent hundreds more for coverage than they saved in repair costs.
所以,这个也别买。
So skip that one as well.
你们长期以来一直大力抨击延长保修,说它们基本上就是浪费钱。
Well, you guys have been on the on the bullhorn about extended warranties on everything for a long time that they're primarily a waste of money.
是的。
Yes.
没错。
That's right.
消费者报告总体上对延长保修持保留态度。
Consumer Reports is not high on extended warranties for the most part.
我们换个话题吧。
Let's jump topics here.
我们来谈谈食物。
Let's talk about food.
我知道很多人想吃得健康。
I know a lot of people wanna eat healthy.
他们想吃有机食品,但有机食品比普通食品更贵。
They wanna eat organic food, but organic food is more expensive than conventional food.
那有什么建议呢?
So what's the advice there?
你可能没意识到,冷冻食品的营养成分和新鲜蔬菜一样多,比如冷冻蔬菜和新鲜蔬菜相比。
One thing you may not realize is that you get as much nutrition from frozen food as you do frozen vegetables, for example, as you do with fresh vegetables.
所以对于有机食品,你可能会发现一些冷冻有机食品的价格比新鲜的便宜很多。
So with organic, you may find some much better frozen organic deals than fresh.
我们发现了一个品牌叫Nature's Promise,我认为它是Stop and Shop旗下的。
We found, for example, Nature's Promise, which is a a brand, I think it's Stop and Shop.
他们家的新鲜青豆每磅3.99美元,而同样的16盎司冷冻青豆只要1.99美元。
They have, fresh green beans at $3.99 a pound, and the same 16 ounces is a dollar 99 when frozen.
所以值得在商店里两个地方都看看。
So it's worth looking in both places in the store.
我们发现,有机食品的自有品牌通常比其他品牌划算得多。
We found that store brands of organic food can often be far better deals than other kinds of brands.
实际上,一般来说,我们经常发现,不仅限于有机食品,也要关注商店自有品牌,因为这样能省不少钱。
And actually, brands in general, we have often found not just for organic, but check the store brands because you can save quite a bit.
而且对于有机食品,你并不总是必须购买有机的。
And with organic, you don't always have to buy organic.
我们发现,有些水果和蔬菜其实并不需要特意购买有机的,因为它们的健康收益并没有明显提升。
We found that there are some kinds of fruits and vegetables that really are not gonna say it's not gonna be more healthy to buy you organic.
因此,我们建议选择那些农药残留较高的水果和蔬菜购买有机版本。
So for example, we do recommend opting for organic in fruits and veggies that have high pesticide residues.
比如胡萝卜、蔓越莓、青豆、辣椒、油桃、桃子、柑橘,但并不是所有都必须如此。
So that would be carrots, cranberries, green beans, hot peppers, nectarines, peaches, tangerines, but not everything.
所以,有些水果和蔬菜你不必非得选有机的,这样可以省钱。
So there may be other fruits and vegetables that you don't have to go that route in so you can save money.
你可以访问 consumerreports.org 获取更多相关信息。
So you can check with consumerreports.org for more on that.
我们正在讨论省钱的方法,我的嘉宾是《消费者报告》的高级编辑托比·斯滕格。
We're talking about ways to save money, and my guest is senior editor for Consumer Reports, Toby Stenger.
摄政时期。
Of the Regency era.
你可能知道,那是《布里奇顿》的故事背景,或者简·奥斯汀创作小说的那个时代。
You might know it as the time when Bridgerton takes place or as the time when Jane Austen wrote her books.
摄政时期也是一个社会剧变、性丑闻频发,或许还是英国历史上最糟糕国王的时代。
The Regency era was also an explosive time of social change, sex scandals, and maybe the worst king in British history.
《粗俗历史》的新一季全面聚焦摄政时期,包括舞会、礼服和各种丑闻。
Vulgar history's new season is all about the regency era, the balls, the gowns, and all the scandal.
在您收听播客的任何平台,都可以收听《粗俗历史》的摄政时期专题。
Listen to vulgar history, regency era, wherever you get podcasts.
如果你热爱Bravo的戏剧、流行文化的混乱和坦诚的见解,那你一定想把《TRH》播客加入你的订阅列表。
If Bravo drama, pop culture chaos and honest takes are your love language, you'll want all about TRH podcast in your feed.
由Roxanne和Chantel主持,这档节目深入剖析《真实主妇》真人秀以及每个人在群聊中争论的那些瞬间。
Hosted by Roxanne and Chantel, this show breaks down Real Housewives reality TV and the moments everyone's group chat is arguing about.
Roxanne自2010年起就开始爆料Bravo的八卦了。
Roxanne's been spilling Bravo tea since 2010.
是的,我们曾采访过主妇界的传奇人物,比如卢安伯爵夫人和特蕾莎·吉杜斯。
And, yes, we've interviewed Housewives Royalty like Countess Luanne and Teresa Giudice.
精辟的回顾、内幕的氛围,毫无废话。
Smart recaps, insider energy, and zero fluff.
在苹果播客、Spotify 或您收听播客的任何平台收听《All About Terje》。
Listen to All About Terje podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen.
每周更新新集。
New episodes weekly.
所以,托比,现在是新的一年了,随着新年的到来,人们开始考虑为去年报税。
So, Toby, now it's a new year, and with the new year, people start thinking about doing their taxes for last year.
而你有一些方法可以帮助人们在报税时省钱。
And you have some ways to help people save money on that.
由于大家一直在讨论的税法法案,人们可能对自行报税感到非常犹豫。
It with the tax bill, that everybody has been talking about, people may be very leery of doing their own taxes.
但事实上,如果你聘请一位税务专业人士,平均来说,一份包含标准扣除和州税申报的联邦1040表大约需要支付180美元。
But in actual fact, if you pay a tax professional, you're gonna pay on average about a $180 for a federal form ten forty, that has the standard deduction and the state return.
但我们发现,使用TaxAct、H&R Block、TaxSlayer或TurboTax其实并不难,也不贵。
But we found that it's actually not that hard and not that expensive to use TaxAct or H and R Block or TaxSlayer, TurboTax.
它们会引导你一步步完成,而且你可以先免费试用,再决定是否使用。
They guide you through and, and you could try it and for free without even paying and then decide whether you wanna use it.
如果你发现这些工具足够易用,并且它们保证准确性,那还不如自己操作,而不是花钱请税务代理。
And if you find that, it's easy enough to use and they guarantee their accuracy, you might as well do that instead of paying a tax repair.
我担心的是,是的,是的,也许你在报税服务上省钱了,但如果你的税务情况比较复杂,真的需要懂行的人帮忙,你可能会在税款上多花冤枉钱。
You know what my concern would be is, yeah, yeah, maybe you save money on tax preparation, but you might lose money on taxes if your taxes are a bit tricky and you really need the help of somebody that knows their way around a tax return.
可能会,但这些工具会给你很多指导。
You may, but there are a lot it will guide you.
有很多指导内容。
There's a lot of guidance.
而且,许多这类软件包都提供以包含在价格中的方式联系专业人士的选项,虽然不是免费的。
There are also, many of these software packages offer you a way to contact a professional for not for free as part of the price
太好了。
Oh, great.
或者只需很少的钱。
Or for very little money.
所以你可以选择这个选项。
So you can get that option.
今年之后,很多原本逐项扣除的人将不再使用逐项扣除。
And after this year, a lot of people who are itemizing won't be itemizing anymore.
因此,从2018年开始,使用税务软件的好处更大了,因为大多数人将采用标准扣除。
So for 2018 going forward, there's even more benefit, to using tax software because most people are going to be using the standard deduction.
我们来谈谈ATM手续费吧,这对很多人来说都是个问题,我知道有些人为了不支付其他ATM的手续费,会特意绕很远的路去找自己银行的ATM。
Let's talk about ATM fees because that's a for so many people, I mean, I know people that will just drive way out of their way to find their own bank so they don't have to pay a fee to use a different ATM.
我确实也有这种感觉。
I'm I definitely feel that way.
一种方法是直接使用借记功能,在购物时使用借记卡,这样钱会直接从你的银行账户扣除。
And one way to do it is just to use the debit function, just to use your debit card when you're purchasing items, and then it's coming directly from your bank account.
你就不必特意去ATM机了。
You don't have to stop at the ATM.
我们还发现了一项新服务,叫Zelle,大写的Z-E-L-L-E。
We've also found a service, a fairly new service called Zelle, capital z e l l e.
这是一个点对点的网络,可以让你直接从银行账户向他人转账。
It's a person to person network, and it lets you send cash from your bank account directly to another person.
现在很多银行都提供这项服务。
A lot of banks have this now.
美国银行、摩根大通、富国银行都有,资金通常在几分钟内到账。
It's at Bank of America, at Chase, at Wells Fargo, and the money typically transfers in a couple of minutes.
如果你要和别人交易,问题是对方也必须使用这项服务。
The problem if you're dealing with another person is the other person has to have it.
但这是一个很有用的工具,不需要你去ATM取钱从而产生费用。
But it's a useful, device that doesn't require you to take out money from an ATM and get charged.
而且是免费的吗?
And it's free?
是的。
Yes.
免费的。
It's free.
好。
Yeah.
我刚刚在银行的网站上看到Zelle,他们为客户提供这项服务。
I I just saw Zelle on my bank's website that offering that as a service to customers.
我还没用过。
I haven't used it.
我用过Venmo,听起来它和Zelle差不多,是类似的东西。
I've used Venmo, which which sounds as if it's probably similar about the same kind of thing.
那关于投资管理呢?
What about managing your investments?
有什么建议吗?
Any advice there?
如果你使用这些新的所谓机器人顾问,可以省下不少钱。
So you can save a lot of money if you use one of these new, what they call robo advisors.
这适用于你的投资账户不太复杂的情况,比如没有房地产之类的资产。
This is if you don't have a very complex investment account, you know, with real estate and stuff like that.
如果只是简单的退休账户转存,使用Betterment或Wealthfront这样的公司可能会非常划算,因为它们的收费远低于财富管理人或个人顾问。
If it's just, you know, your simple rollover IRA, you may do very well using a company like Betterment or Wealthfront because they charge far lower fees than you would be charged by a a wealth manager or a personal adviser.
如果你有50万美元的投资组合,你会支付5000美元给理财顾问。
If you have if you had a $500,000 portfolio, you'd pay $5,000 financial adviser.
这是一笔不少的钱。
That's a lot of money.
你可以用这些公司中的任何一家支付少得多的费用,而且他们可能给出同样好的建议。
You could pay far less than that, with one of these companies, and they may give you just as good advice.
或者他们也可能不会。
Or they may not.
他们也可能不会。
They may not.
但如果你的账户比较简单,只是随着时间推移慢慢存钱,他们会帮助你合理分配资金,而且通常收费更低。
But if you have a simple account where you're just you're just, you know, you're just saving up the money over time and you're you're they will help you determine how to allocate it properly, and they will charge you less in general for that advice.
如果你打算花5000美元,是的,值得去看看机器人顾问。
If you're gonna spend $5,000, yeah, it might well be worth, checking out a robo advisor.
但感觉有点奇怪,我知道你可以接触到专业人士,但你的钱这么私密,你可能会想亲自和人聊聊。
But it does seem weird though that that you know, I know you can get access to people, but seems like your money is so personal that you'd you'd wanna talk to somebody.
这真的取决于你的具体情况。
It really depends what your situation is.
这可能最适合那些还没接近退休的人。
This is probably most useful for somebody who's not yet close to retirement.
所以他们正在积累资金。
So they're, building up their money.
你主要是在将资金分配到不同类型账户中,而这可以相当简单地完成。
They mainly, what you're doing is you're allocating your money into different kinds of accounts, and that can be done fairly simply.
当你接近退休时,我同意,最好咨询一位顾问,他们能告诉你未来应该规划什么,以及退休后取款时应该怎么做。
When you get closer to retirement, I agree that it's probably better to speak with an adviser who can be telling you what you should be planning for in the future and what you should be doing once you have to take money out in retirement.
最后,你能谈谈你建议人们不要吝啬的一些方面吗?
Lastly, can you talk about some of the things that you recommend people don't try to skimp on?
是的。
Yeah.
有一些事情,人们可能觉得可以敷衍了事,但我们不建议这样做。
So there's a few things that people may think, you know, they can get away with and and we don't recommend.
例如,正如许多人可能在经历各种自然灾害后无意中学到的那样,你必须拥有足够额度的房屋保险。
For example, as a lot of people may have, un unwittingly learned with all the various natural disasters that have gone on, you have to have the proper amount of homeowners insurance.
有一种叫做实际现金价值的房屋保险,只覆盖你房屋内物品的损失。
There is something called actual cash value homeowners insurance that only covers that that's for your home content.
我们建议你始终选择所谓的重置成本保险。
We recommend that you always get what's called replacement cost coverage.
因为如果你选择另一种——实际现金价值保险,它只会赔偿你物品的折旧价值。
Because if you get the other kind, actual cash value, it will only replace the content it will only replace the depreciated value of your content.
所以如果你遭受严重损失,你得到的赔偿将不足以Replacement这些物品。
So if you have a very serious loss, you are only gonna get you're not gonna get enough back to replace those items.
因此,为防晒霜多花点钱是值得的。
So it's worth paying more for sunscreen.
我不是说你不能选择最便宜但有效的防晒霜,但涂抹时不要吝啬。
Now I don't mean that you shouldn't pay of the least for the least expensive effective sunscreen, but don't skimp when you put it on.
实际上,你应该大量涂抹防晒霜,以确保充分防护,你可以访问consumerreports.org获取更多关于使用量的建议,但你需要的量比你想象的要多。
There is actually you know, you really are supposed to kinda gob it on to make sure that you're well protected, and you can check on consumerreports.org for more, advice on how much you need to put on, but it's more than you think.
我们还认为,您应该为某些汽车安全功能付费,不要在这方面省钱。
Another thing that we think you should pay for and not skimp on are certain car safety features.
例如,前方碰撞预警和自动紧急制动比天窗或真皮座椅重要得多。
So for example, forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking are far more important than, say, having a sunroof or leather seats.
所以,如果非得在某些方面省钱,最好是在那些与安全无关的项目上节省,而把钱花在安全配置上。
So if you need to skimp on something, it's more it's better to skimp on those items that really don't have to do with your safety and put the money into safety items.
我认为人们关心或抱怨的一件事是有线电视或卫星电视的价格,以及频道被捆绑销售,你不得不为一堆从不看的频道付费。
One thing that I think people are concerned about and or complain about is the price of cable TV or satellite TV and how the channels are bundled and you get a bunch of channels you never watch, but you've got to pay for them.
我知道我听到越来越多的人在取消有线电视,但有些人还是不想放弃某些频道,尤其是本地新闻频道之类的。
And I know I've, you know, heard more and more people are cutting their cable and all, but but some of us don't wanna give up certain channels, particularly local news channels and that kind of thing.
那有什么建议呢?
So so what's the advice there?
现在有很多选择。
There are lots of options available.
过去,如果你不购买包含所有频道的大型套餐,就会错过你真正想看的频道。
In the past, if you didn't pay for your big package that had all the channels, then you'd end up missing the ones you really wanted.
但现在有一些新型的互联网电视服务,比如DIRECTV NOW、Hulu Live TV、Sling,它们的套餐中包含了传统电视频道。
But there are newer Internet TV services like DIRECTV NOW, Hulu, Live TV, Sling, and they include conventional channels in their mix.
例如,DIRECTV NOW每月收费35美元,提供60多个频道,几乎肯定包含大多数人感兴趣的主流频道。
So for example, DIRECTV NOW charges $35 a month, and it's for a bucket of more than 60 channels, and it's most likely gonna have the the major channels that most people are interested in.
相比动辄500个频道的大型套餐,这能节省不少费用。
So that's a big savings over say paying for a big package where you have 500 channels.
所以这很值得考虑。
So that's worth looking into.
你真的应该考虑自己购买家里的路由器或调制解调器,因为你现在租用这些设备每年可能要花60到120美元,不如直接买一台更划算。
You really should think about buying your own router or modem for your Internet and cable at home because, in fact, you could be paying 60 to $120 a year for that service because you're renting it from the company, and it may be better just to buy one.
你可以访问consumerreports.org,查找一些性价比最高的路由器和调制解调器推荐,以节省开支。
And you can look on consumerreports.org for some ideas of the best routers and the best modems to get to save money.
为什么不直接买下来,而不是每年都要付这笔钱呢?
Why not buy the thing and not pay that price every year?
你知道吗,听你讲这些省钱的方法,至少对我来说,我开始想到其他一些自己也可能省钱的方式了。
You know what's good about this, at least for me, and I imagine for other people too, as I listen to you talk about ways to save money, I'm starting to think of other ways I could probably save some money.
所以这就像一个很好的开端,让我在2018年想到其他 ways 能把钱省回来。
So this is like a good, like, kickstart into other ways to put some money back in my pocket in 2018.
这是托比·斯坦格。
That is Toby Stenger.
她是《消费者报告》杂志的高级编辑。
She is a senior editor for Consumer Reports Magazine.
今天我们谈到的许多内容,你都可以在2018年2月的《消费者报告》中找到,我们现在就给你提前剧透一下。
And many of the things that we talked about today, you will find in the February 2018 issue of Consumer Reports, and we are giving you a little sneak peek right now.
感谢你抽出时间。
Appreciate the time.
谢谢你,托比。
Thank you, Toby.
好的。
Okay.
谢谢。
Thank you.
保重。
Take care.
再见。
Bye bye.
当
When
在他们年轻时,一支名为“石狼”的精英突击队曾反抗克雷特罗坎帝国的压迫统治,该帝国占领并主导了银河系大多数宜居星球。
they were young, the five members of an elite commando group nicknamed the stone wolves raged against the oppressive rule of the Crateroccan Empire, which occupies and dominates most of the galaxy's inhabited planets.
狼群为自由而战,但最终失败,留下无数尸体。
The wolves fought for freedom, but they failed, leaving countless corpses in their wake.
战败且心灰意冷的他们放下了武器,各自散去,都希望在这充满暴力与压迫的宇宙中寻得一丝宁静。
Defeated and disillusioned, they hung up their guns and went their separate ways, all hoping to find some small bit of peace amidst a universe thick with violence and oppression.
在他们巅峰时期的四十年后,每个人都在努力求生,勉强维持生计。
Four decades after their heyday, they each try to stay alive and eke out a living.
但一位旧日好友不会让他们就此放下,他们的宿敌也不会。
But a friend from the past won't let them move on, and neither will their bitterest enemy.
《石狼》是银河足球联盟科幻系列的第十一季,作者是斯科特·西格勒。
The stone wolves is season eleven of the Galactic Football League science fiction series author Scott Sigler.
你可以把它当作独立故事欣赏,也可以从第一季《新兵》开始收听整个GFL系列。
Enjoy it as a stand alone story or listen to the entire GFL series beginning with season one, the rookie.
在你收听播客的任何平台搜索斯科特·西格勒,拼写为 S I G L E R。
Search for Scott Sigler, s I g l e r, wherever you get your podcasts.
你好,我是《最长最短时光》的希拉里·弗兰克,这是一档获奖播客,主题是育儿与生殖健康。
Hey, it's Hillary Frank from The Longest Shortest Time, an award winning podcast about parenthood and reproductive health.
我们会讨论性教育、避孕、怀孕、身体自主权,当然还有各个年龄段的孩子。
We talk about things like sex ed, birth control, pregnancy, bodily autonomy, and, of course, kids of all ages.
但你并不需要是父母才能收听。
But you don't have to be a parent to listen.
如果你喜欢关于人际关系、还有——你知道的——月经的出人意料、幽默又感人的故事,那么《最长最短时光》就是为你准备的。
If you like surprising, funny, poignant stories about human relationships and, you know, periods, the longest shortest time is for you.
你可以在任何播客应用中找到我们,或访问 longestshortesttime.com。
Find us in any podcast app or at longestshortesttime.com.
你、我,以及世界上几乎每个人都有一个共同点,那就是我们都曾在他人面前做过非常尴尬的事,并感受到那种糟糕的羞耻感。
You and I and pretty much everyone in the whole world have something in common, and that is we have all done something really embarrassing in front of other people and felt that horrible feeling of embarrassment.
那种尴尬的感觉究竟是什么?
What is that feeling of embarrassment?
我们为什么会感到尴尬?
Why do we feel it?
当我们不可避免地做出尴尬举动时,有没有办法减轻那种糟糕的感觉?
And can we do anything to not feel so horrible when we do that inevitable embarrassing thing?
接下来,我们邀请大卫·艾伦来讨论这个问题。
Well, to discuss that is David Allen.
他研究过这一现象,并著有《我真不敢相信我刚做了那种事》一书。
He studied this and he is author of a book called I Can't Believe I Just Did That.
欢迎你,大卫。
Welcome, David.
非常感谢。
Thank you very much.
谢谢你邀请我。
Thank you for having me.
当我感到尴尬时,当我在别人面前做了让我觉得自己很蠢的事时,我知道我对自己苛刻的程度远超过别人对我的评价。
So when I'm embarrassed, when I do something in front of other people that I feel really stupid about, I know most likely I'm a lot harder on myself than those other people are being on me.
你同意这一点吗?
Would you agree with that?
如果是这样,为什么会这样呢?
And if so, why is that?
是的。
Yes.
这是一种我们称之为‘想象中的聚光灯效应’的现象。
So that's a phenomenon that we refer to as the imaginary spotlight effect.
我们知道,人们倾向于想象有一束聚光灯打在自己身上,认为别人正在严厉评判、嘲笑或讥讽自己。
So we know that people have a tendency to imagine that there's a spotlight on them and that others are judging them harshly and mocking them or ridiculing them or laughing at them.
而这种想象中的聚光灯与现实是不成比例的。
And that imaginary spotlight is disproportionate to the reality.
大多数人实际上在想他们自己。
Most people are actually thinking about themselves.
他们并没有在想你或我。
They're not thinking about you or me.
但这是一种相当普遍的现象,我们往往认为自己是注意力的中心。
But it's a it's a fairly universal phenomenon that we tend to think that we're at the center of attention.
那么,那种尴尬的感觉,不管那是什么,究竟是什么感觉?
So what is that feeling, that embarrassment feeling of whatever that is?
它一定有某种作用,或者曾经有过某种作用。
It must serve a purpose or it must have served a purpose.
它到底是什么?
What is it?
我们认为,从进化角度来看,当你感到尴尬时,会传递出某些信号。
Well, we think that in evolutionary terms that when you're embarrassed you project certain signals.
所以你的脸会变红。
So your face turns red.
你往往会微笑。
You you tend to smile.
你可能会用手挡住脸。
You might put your hands in front of your face.
尴尬与非常特定的身体行为相关。
Embarrassment correlates with very specific physical activities.
我们认为这些行为传递了这样的信息:刚才发生的事是无意的。
And we think that those are signals that send the message What just happened was unintentional.
这并不是有意构成威胁。
It wasn't meant to be a threat.
我不是想多拿食物。
I wasn't trying to take more food.
我不是想夺取权力。
I wasn't trying to take power.
这只是一个错误。
It was a mistake.
因此,尴尬是社会科学家所称的一种亲社会现象。
And so Embarrassment is what social scientists call a pro social phenomenon.
它传递了一个信号:我没事。
It sends a signal, I'm okay.
我值得信赖。
I'm trustworthy.
我喜欢你。
I like you.
你可以喜欢我。
You can like me.
我们都能和睦相处。
We can all get along.
但感觉却很糟糕。
And yet it feels horrible.
确实感觉很糟糕。
It does feel horrible.
如果它能像它所传递的信息那样感觉良好就好了,但它并没有。
If only if only it felt as good as the message it's sending, but it doesn't.
它确实让人感觉糟糕。
It does feel bad.
科学家认为,它实际上位于所谓的前扣带皮层,这个区域调控着许多身体功能。
Scientists think it it really is located in what's called the anterior cingulate cortex, and that regulates a lot of body functions.
当尴尬发生时,它还会引发出汗、心跳加速和呼吸急促,这些反应在内部都是相互关联的。
And when embarrassment happens, it also triggers sweating and a high heartbeat and heavy breathing, and it's all kind of connected in there.
所以,它不仅让自己感觉不好,也让别人感觉不好。
So, it doesn't feel good, and it doesn't feel good for anyone.
除了这是一个有趣的话题之外,为什么这很重要?
Other than this being kind of an interesting topic to talk about, why is this important?
我们为什么要谈论这个?
Why why are we talking about it?
因为每个人都曾感到过尴尬。
Because everybody everybody has felt embarrassed.
每个人都曾经历过目睹他人尴尬的场景。
Everybody's been in a situation where they've seen someone else be embarrassed.
我们都明白这是什么感觉。
We all know what it is.
我们都懂。
We all get it.
那为什么这很重要呢?
So why is this important?
嗯,关于这一点,有几个方面很重要。
Well, think there are a couple things about it that are important.
我之前提到过大脑中与尴尬感相关的区域,即前扣带皮层。
So one is I was talking about the section of the brain, the anterior cingulate cortex, that is related to feelings of embarrassment.
我们知道,在青少年时期,这个大脑区域正在迅速发育。
And we know that in adolescents that section of the brain is developing very, very rapidly.
因此,青少年对尴尬格外敏感。
And as a result adolescents are over sensitive.
他们过于敏感于自己想象中他人对自己的看法。
They're over attuned to what they suppose are the opinions of others.
因此他们会不断观察他人的表情。
So they are scanning the faces of others.
对他人可能如何评价自己高度警觉。
Hyper vigilant about what others might think about them.
我们希望青少年明白,这仅仅是他们的大脑在运作。
And we want adolescents to know this is just their brain.
这是大脑快速发育的一部分。
This is part of the brain developing rapidly.
并不是因为大脑发出这种信号,他们就真的觉得自己很蠢、很糟糕、一无是处。
It's not it doesn't just because their brain is sending this signal, they think I'm stupid, they think I'm they think I don't I'm terrible.
这种现象在所有青少年身上都随时发生,且与现实情况并无关联。
It's happening to all adolescents all the time, and it's not correlated with reality.
因此,这是我们亟需让青少年理解的一个重要信息。
So that's a very important message that we need adolescents to learn.
还有其他原因值得讨论尴尬。
And then there are other reasons to talk about embarrassment.
我认为尴尬,正如我之前所说,是一种亲社会现象。
I happen to think embarrassment is, like I said before, it's a pro social phenomenon.
所以,这通常是一件非常好的事。
So it's often a very, very good thing.
我们害怕尴尬是好事。
It's good that we're afraid of embarrassment.
这很有帮助。
It helps.
它是维系社会健康、巩固社会规范的纽带。
It's a glue that keeps society healthy and keeps strong norms in place.
但它有时也会产生负面影响,即对尴尬的恐惧会阻止我们建立新联系,阻止我们参与那些能够推动我们所信奉的事业、促进我们所从事的业务、拓展我们人脉的互动。
But it does sometimes have a negative impact as well, which is the fear of embarrassment prevents us from making new connections, prevents us from engaging in interactions that can further the causes we believe in further the businesses we're engaged in that can grow our networks.
因此,尴尬在限制互动方面会产生反经济效应。
And so embarrassment can have an anti economic effect in this in terms of limiting interactions.
当然。
Sure.
如果我因为害怕而不敢做任何本可能让我受益的事情,那就是个问题。
Well, if I'm afraid to do anything that that might I might otherwise be benefited by doing, that's a problem.
我的意思是,如果
I mean if
没错。
Exactly.
对。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
而很多时候,阻碍你前进的,仅仅是害怕尴尬、害怕说错话、害怕被评判,而这些恐惧恰恰挡在了你与个人成长之间——而这种成长实际上也会惠及整个社会。
And very often it's simply that fear of embarrassment, of that fear of saying the wrong thing, that fear of being judged that is all that's in the way between you and some advancement in your own life that actually would also benefit society as a whole.
对。
Right.
展开剩余字幕(还有 138 条)
我的意思是,如果我因为害怕上台演讲而从不讲,那就不会遇到之后给我提供工作并给我一百万美元的那个人,而这一切仅仅是因为我害怕搞砸了,害怕被人评判。
I mean if I'm afraid to give that speech and I never give it, then I don't meet that person afterwards who offers me a job and pays me a million dollars all because I was afraid that I might blow it and people would judge me.
没错。
Exactly.
没错。
Exactly.
我们经常谈论舞台恐惧,但我认为我们还应该谈谈‘舞台逃避’,也就是人们逃避舞台。
And we often talk about stage fright, but I think we actually we also need to talk about stage flight, which is that people flee from the stage.
他们不敢站上舞台中心,就是因为害怕被评判。
They don't take that center stage because of that potential of being judged.
但既然我们都坐在观众席里,见过有人出丑——无论是正式演讲,还是只是在房间里,无论在哪里——我们其实并不会评判他们。
And yet why do you suppose it is that since all of us have sat in the audience and seen someone embarrassed, whether it's a formal presentation or in the audience just being in the room or wherever, we don't judge.
我们反而更可能为那个人感到难过,或者希望他们能挺过来。
We don't we don't we more likely feel sorry for that person or, you know, root for them in hopes that they recover.
我们不会说:‘哦,真是个蠢货。’
We're not saying, oh, what a jerk.
真是个混蛋。
What an ass.
真是个傻瓜。
What an idiot.
然而那个人却以为我们真的在这么说。
And yet that person thinks that's what we're saying.
但我们既然都有过作为观众的经历,为什么在自己尴尬时却不能从中吸取教训呢?
But but since we have the experience of being that audience, why don't we learn from it when we're embarrassed?
那该多好啊?
Oh, wouldn't that be great?
是的。
Yeah.
如果我们真正理解了思维的真实运作方式,我们所有人都会好得多。
We would all be so much better off if we really did appreciate the way the mind actually works.
但相反,这又回到了那种想象中的聚光灯效应,以及那种伴随着身体感觉的强烈感受。
But instead, it goes back to that that imaginary spotlight effect and and that feeling like that it's a very intense feeling that goes along with those physical sensations.
如果只是你的脸会脸红,而你内心毫无感觉,那该多好。
It's not it would be nice if your face just blushed but you didn't feel anything.
但事实上,你的心跳会加快,视野会变窄。
Instead your heart beats faster, your vision narrows.
当你感到尴尬时,你实际上会看得更少。
You can actually when you're embarrassed you can actually see less.
但部分原因在于,大脑在某些方面是一种相当原始的器官,它会与我们熟知的战斗或逃跑反应联系起来——这些反应是为了我们的生存而设计的,比如当你在野外遇到一只可能吃掉你的大型动物时,战斗或逃跑反应就会启动,要么逃跑,要么进入战斗状态。
And in part though it's because it gets tied in the brain is a pretty primitive instrument in certain ways and it gets tied into those fight flight responses that we know are designed for our survival to protect us so that if you're in the wild and there's a very large animal that could eat you, your fightflight response kicks in and you either run away or you're going to go into fighting mode.
尴尬之所以会触发这种反应,是因为大脑的构造以及大脑中杏仁核所引发的冲动,这些冲动会激活战斗或逃跑反应。
Embarrassment turns into that because of the way the brain is designed and the impulses of the amygdala that are in the brain that trigger that fight flight response.
那么,当人们感到尴尬时,能做些什么来缓解这种感觉呢?
So what can people do, if anything, to mitigate that when they're feeling embarrassed?
说‘我知道大家都在评判我,但他们其实并没有’,这样会有帮助吗?
Does it help to say, I know everybody's judging me, but they're really not?
实际上,这确实有帮助。
Well, actually it does help.
我们确实认为,把内心的想法大声说出来通常会有帮助。
We do think it does help often to put on loudspeaker the things, the thoughts that you're having.
所以,简单地对自己说:‘我是不是感到尴尬了?’确实有帮助。
So it does actually simply help to say, oh, am I embarrassed?
天啊,我现在是不是特别尴尬?
Boy, am I embarrassed right now?
或者在一对一的对话中,用幽默的方式说:‘你有没有做过类似的事?’
Or to make to make some joke about it if it's a one on one conversation to say, have have you ever done anything like that?
然后让对方开口分享。
And then let the other person talk and share.
当对方分享了他们的经历后,尴尬感往往会消散,因为我们感到彼此更加亲近了。
And when the other person shares what they've done, that tends to dissipate the embarrassment because we feel then very connected.
尴尬的本意其实是促使我们彼此连接,所以我们需要顺应这种本能。
The whole point of embarrassment is it's designed to connect us and we have to kind of follow that.
这其实是一件挺微妙的事情。
It's a because it's it's a tricky thing.
我们想遮住脸,但这其实只是表明我们并没有意图为威胁。
It's we wanna hide our face, but that's supposed to show simply we didn't mean to be a threat.
我们知道我们搞砸了。
We know we messed up.
但有很多让我们感到尴尬的事情,根本不可能被解读为威胁。
But there's a lot of things we get embarrassed about by that could never be interpreted as a threat.
比如,我如果在台阶上绊倒,或者穿着沾了厕纸的鞋子走进房间,这并不会威胁到任何人。
You know, if I trip on the steps or I walk in the room with toilet paper on my shoe, it doesn't threaten anybody.
这只不过看起来很蠢而已。
It just looks really stupid.
但你可以这么想,如果你在台阶上绊倒了,会发出很大的声音,而这并不是通常会发生的事。
Well, it could see, if you trip on the steps, right, you're making a loud noise, and it is not what is normally done.
所以当所有人都转过头时,他们那一刻其实并不清楚发生了什么。
And so if everybody turns around, they don't know right in that moment.
他们不知道自己是不是即将遭到攻击。
They don't know if they're about to be attacked.
他们不知道你是不是在故意制造混乱,或者你是不是生气了。
They don't know if you are you know trying to cause a ruckus, if you're angry.
所以当你感到尴尬时,你的身体会接管这个沟通过程,它在你还没来得及开口之前就抢先说:不不不不不。
If and so by being embarrassed your body is taking over that communication process and it's taking it over and it's saying before you even need to, before you have a chance to, no no no no no.
别担心。
Don't worry.
别担心。
Don't worry.
别担心。
Don't worry.
别担心。
Don't worry.
只是我犯了个错误。
It was just me making a mistake.
这看起来如此人性化,却又如此令人羞愧。
It seems so seems so human, and yet it's so humiliating.
确实是。
It is.
没错。
Exactly.
哦,太糟糕了。
Oh, it's terrible.
我知道。
I know.
你为什么研究这个?
Why have you studied this?
你对它着迷的原因是什么?
What's your fascination with it?
我小时候对很多事情都感到尴尬。
I I grew up embarrassed about a lot of things.
我小时候因为不会骑自行车而感到尴尬。
I grew up embarrassed about the fact that I didn't know how to ride a bike when I was a kid.
我不擅长运动。
I wasn't good at sports.
我清晰地记得一年级时,老师问了一个关于他们是怎么知道收音机里的交通状况的问题。
I vividly vividly remember in first grade when a teacher asked a question about like how do they know about the traffic on the radio?
我当时觉得我肯定知道答案。
And I was like, oh, I was so sure I had the answer.
于是我给出了答案,说:是雷达。
And I I gave the answer and I said, it's radar.
是雷达。
It's radar.
老师说:不是。
And the teacher said, no.
不是雷达。
Not radar.
其他孩子笑了起来,我感到非常尴尬。
And kinda other kids laughed and I was so embarrassed.
我对自己说,我再也不会举手回答问题了,除非我确定自己答对了。
And I said to myself, oh, I will never raise my hand again unless I'm sure I have the right answer.
那些关键的童年时刻,至少对我来说,不仅对我的人生产生了巨大影响,还成了我非常感兴趣的主题。
And those kinds of seminal early childhood moments, at least for me, became something not only that had a big impact on my life but also became something that I was really interested in.
真不可思议,那些童年经历竟能如此深刻地塑造我们,并且长久地伴随我们。
And wow, it's incredible that those childhood experiences, they can shape us in such profound ways and they can stay with us.
在我的一生中,我不得不努力让自己变得更加我所说的‘社交勇敢’。
And I've had to work hard in my life to become more what I call socially courageous.
那你现在更具有社交勇气了吗?
And are you now more socially courageous?
我现在比小时候勇敢多了。
I I am a lot more socially courageous than I was when I was a kid.
小时候,我总是一个人坐在课桌旁。
When I was a kid, I always sat alone at a desk.
我没有和其他孩子坐在一起。
I didn't sit with the other kids.
我要克服这一切需要很大的勇气,我也希望尽自己的一份力去帮助别人。
I I I it took something for me to overcome all that, and and I wanted to do my part to help others too.
你之前提到,青少年时期这种感觉会急剧增强,但我知道这确实存在一个程度差异,有些孩子像你一样,非常尴尬、非常在意,而我知道另一些孩子根本不在乎别人怎么想。
Well, you mentioned earlier that adolescents, this they go into overdrive on this, but I know there there does seem that to be a scale because there are some kids who are who are like you who were very embarrassed and very aware, and I know other kids who they don't care what anybody thinks.
确实如此。
It's true.
确实如此。
It's true.
这确实与大脑的发育有关。
And there are definitely has to do with the development of the brain.
我们了解到,随着年龄增长,痴呆症会导致尴尬感和对尴尬的恐惧减弱。
We know in later in life we're pretty sure that dementia causes a reduction in your embarrassment and fear of embarrassment.
作为健康的成年人,拥有一定程度的尴尬感和对尴尬的恐惧是正常的,但这种程度在人群中确实存在差异。
That part of being a healthy adult is having a certain degree of embarrassment and fear of embarrassment, but it does vary in the population.
这一点毫无疑问。
There's no doubt about that.
嗯,知道每个人都有这样的经历本该是一种安慰,但似乎并没有给任何人带来多少安慰。
Well, it's I guess supposed to be comfort in knowing that everybody shares this experience, but it doesn't seem to be very much comfort to anybody.
因为在那一刻,感觉就是糟糕透顶,无论你怎么说服自己别人都这样,也无济于事。
It it because in the moment, it just feels horrible, and no matter how you try to convince yourself that everybody does it, it doesn't matter.
要一直学会寻找幽默感,学会自嘲,这确实需要一些练习,你越能拿自己开玩笑,这件事对你的影响就越小。
Well, does take some practice to always be looking for the humor and to be able to laugh at yourself, and the more you can laugh at yourself, the less it will impact you.
如果你对自己和生活太过严肃,只会让情况变得更糟。
If you take yourself very seriously and your life very seriously, that's only going to aggravate the situation.
但如果你能对自己保持良好的幽默感,因为幽默就是一种视角。
But if you can have a good sense of humor about yourself and because humor is perspective.
就是记住外面有一个浩瀚的宇宙。
It's remembering that there's a big universe out there.
我们所有人不过是宇宙中的一粒尘埃,发生在我们身上的那些事,几年后根本没人会记得。
We're all bits of dust in the universe and that the things that are happening to us, nobody's going to remember in a few years anyway.
所以,你越能以幽默的心态看待这些事,它对你的影响就越小。
So, the more you can have a sense of humor about it, definitely the less impact it will have on you.
这其实就是青少年的情况,对吧?
And that's really what it is for teenagers, right?
我们希望他们能对自己保持幽默感,但他们很难做到这一点。
We want them to have a sense of humor about them self, and it's very hard for them to do that.
我们至少应该为他们树立这样的榜样。
We at least should model that for them.
你说得对,因为无论多么尴尬的事情,过一段时间后,别人都不会在意了。
Well, you're so right because no matter how embarrassing something is with a little passage of time, nobody else is thinking about it.
只是你自己在纠结,而别人根本不在乎。
It's just you thinking about it, and and nobody else cares.
这真是一次非常有趣的对话。
Well, this has been really interesting.
今天我的嘉宾是戴维·艾伦。
David Allen has been my guest.
他的书名叫《我真不敢相信我刚做了那件事》。
His book is I Can't Believe I Just Did That.
本期节目简介中提供了他书籍的链接。
There's a link to his book in the show notes for this episode.
谢谢你,大卫。
Thank you, David.
谢谢。
Thank you.
保重,迈克。
Take care, Mike.
每个人都会时不时地遇到入睡困难的问题。
Everyone has trouble falling asleep from time to time.
我知道我就是这样。
I know I do.
我肯定你也一样。
I'm sure you do.
你肯定也听说过建议数羊,说这是件很无聊的事,能帮你催眠入睡。
And you've no doubt heard the suggestion that you should count sheep, that that's a nice boring thing to do that will lull you to sleep.
嗯,根据医生的说法。
Well, according to Doctor.
迈克尔·布鲁斯,也就是睡眠医生,认为数羊并不是最好的方法。
Michael Bruce, also known as the sleep doctor, counting sheep is not the best thing to do.
这实际上太无聊了。
It's actually too boring.
在一项睡眠研究中,那些想象宁静场景(如海滩、森林或潺潺溪流)的参与者,比数羊的人平均快了大约二十分钟入睡。
In one sleep study, participants who pictured serene scenes like a beach or a forest or a babbling brook, those people fell asleep about twenty minutes sooner than the people who were counting sheep.
现在,以下是布鲁斯医生提供的其他助眠建议。
Now here are some other sleep inducing suggestions from doctor Bruce.
试着从300开始倒数,每次减3。
Try counting backwards from 300 by threes.
如果这招不管用,就从1000开始倒数,每次减7,这样应该就能让你睡着了。
Or if that doesn't work, start at a thousand and count backwards by sevens, and that should put you to sleep.
另外,想象自己是一名在太空行走的宇航员,或者正漂浮在一朵云上。
Also, imagine you're an astronaut on a spacewalk or that you're floating on a cloud.
想象你的思绪像气泡一样从脑海中飘走,噗,就消失了。
Imagine that your thoughts are bubbles drifting out of your head and poof, they're gone.
或者再来一个方法。
Or here's another one.
从字母A到Z,逐个字母想出一个对应的词,这样你还没到Z可能就已经睡着了。
Work your way through the alphabet coming up with a word for each letter as you go, and you should probably be asleep before you get to z.
这一点你该知道。
And that is something you should know.
就这样。
And that's it.
这是我们2018年的第一期节目。
That's our first program of 2018.
我邀请你们在社交媒体上关注我们。
I invite you to follow us on social media.
我们在Facebook和Twitter上都有账号,也随时欢迎你们通过邮件联系我。
We're on Facebook and Twitter, and you can also email me anytime about anything.
我的邮箱是 mike@somethingyoushouldknow.net。
I'm at mike@somethingyoushouldknow.net.
我是迈克·卡鲁瑟斯。
I'm Mike Carruthers.
感谢您今天收听《你应该知道的事》。
Thanks for listening today to something you should know.
如果你喜欢《你应该知道的事》,那你很可能是一个充满好奇心、喜欢了解世界的人。
If you like something you should know, you're probably a curious person who enjoys learning about the world.
如果你正在寻找更多学习的地方,你应该知道一个由TED出品的播客,名叫《如何成为更好的人》。
And if you're looking for more places to learn, you should know about a podcast from Ted called how to be a better human.
主持人克里斯·达菲最近曾做客本节目,谈论他为何热爱笑声,以及如何在日常生活中发现更多笑声。
The host, Chris Duffy, was recently a guest here talking about why he loves laughter and how you can find more of it in your everyday life.
在《如何成为更好的人》中,克里斯采访了科学家、专家和TED演讲者,探讨各种有趣且实用的话题,比如你的狗如何感知世界、如何停止无休止的负面信息刷屏,以及如何找到更深层的归属感。
On how to be a better human, Chris interviews scientists, experts, and TED speakers about fascinating practical topics from how your dog experiences the world to how to stop doom scrolling to how to find a deeper sense of belonging.
你可以在任何收听播客的平台找到《如何成为更好的人》。
You can find how to be a better human wherever you listen to podcasts.
嘿。
Hey.
我是《最长最短时间》的希拉里·弗兰克,这是一档获奖播客,主题是育儿与生殖健康。
It's Hillary Frank from The Longest Shortest Time, an award winning podcast about parenthood and reproductive health.
目前生殖健康领域正在发生很多事情,我们正在全面覆盖这些话题。
There is so much going on right now in the world of reproductive health, and we're covering it all.
避孕、怀孕、性别、身体自主权、更年期、同意权、精子——关于精子的故事太多了,当然还有养育各个年龄段孩子的快乐与荒诞之处。
Birth control, pregnancy, gender, bodily autonomy, menopause, consent, sperm, so many stories about sperm, and of course, the joys and absurdities of raising kids of all ages.
如果你是第一次听这个节目,推荐你收听一集叫做《楼梯》的节目。
If you're new to the show, check out an episode called The Staircase.
这是我个人的一个故事,关于我如何努力推动孩子所在的学校开设性教育课程。
It's a personal story of mine about trying to get my kids school to teach sex ed.
剧透一下,我确实成功了,但结果完全不是我原本设想的方式。
Spoiler, I get it to happen, but not at all in the way that I wanted.
我们也会采访很多非父母听众,所以你不需要是父母也能收听。
We also talk to plenty of non parents, so you don't have to be a parent to listen.
如果你喜欢关于人际关系以及——你知道的——月经的令人惊喜、幽默又感人的真实故事,那么《最长的最短时间》就是为你准备的。
If you like surprising, funny, poignant stories about human relationships and, you know, periods, the longest shortest time is for you.
你可以在任何播客应用中搜索我们,或访问 longestshortesttime.com。
Find us in any podcast app or at longestshortesttime.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。