本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这里是iHeart播客,保证真人主持。
This is an iHeart podcast, Guaranteed Human.
你好。
Hi.
我是吉尔·温特斯坦,《灵性女儿》播客的主持人,我们在这里探讨占星学、出生星盘,以及如何活出最精彩的人生。
It's Jill Winterstein, host of the spirit daughter podcast, where we talk about astrology, natal charts, and how to step into your most vibrant life.
今天,我将与我的挚友克里斯塔·威廉姆斯进行对话。
And today, I'm talking with my dear friend, Christa Williams.
它能以最好的方式改变你。
It can change you in the best way possible.
与变化共舞。
Dance with the change.
与崩溃共舞。
Dance with the breakdowns.
双鱼座的直觉与摩羯座的力量行动的结合。
The embodiment of Pisces intuition with Capricorn power moves.
所以,我简直是对我的星盘图感到一种近乎妄想的自豪。
There's so I'm, like, delusionally proud of my chart.
从2月24日起,在iHeartRadio应用、Apple播客或任何你收听播客的地方,收听《灵性女儿》播客。
Listen to the spirit daughter podcast starting on February 24 on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your podcast.
我是克莱顿·内卡德。
I'm Clayton Neckard.
在2022年,
In 2022,
我曾是ABC电视台《单身汉》节目的主角。
I was the lead of ABC's The Bachelor.
但问题是:《单身汉》的粉丝们讨厌他。
But here's the thing: Bachelor fans hated him.
如果我能按下一个按钮
If I could press a button
让一切重来,我会的。
and rewind it all, I would.
就在那时,他的生活发生了令人不安的转折。
That's when his life took a disturbing turn.
一夜情最终演变成了一场法庭诉讼。
A one night stand would end in a courtroom.
媒体已经到场了。
The media is here.
这个案件已经走红网络。
This case has gone viral.
约会合同。
The dating contract.
同意和我约会,但我同时要起诉你。
Agree to date me, but I'm also suing you.
我从未见过这样的事情。
This is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
我是斯蒂芬妮·杨。
I'm Stephanie Young.
请在iHeartRadio应用、苹果播客或任何你获取播客的平台收听《被困住的爱》。
Listen to love trapped on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
埃戈·沃达将主持2026年iHeart播客奖的现场活动,地点设在西南偏南大会。
Ego Woda is your host for the twenty twenty six iHeart podcast awards live at South by Southwest.
喂?
Hello?
有人在吗?
Is anybody there?
由单亲妈妈抚养长大的Ego,可能在父亲相关的问题上有些心结。
Raised by a single mom, Ego may have a few father related issues.
我们是要谈谈你父亲的事吗?
Are we supposed to talk about your dad?
她的播客《谢谢爸爸》充满了与演员们有趣而真挚的对话,包括SNL的校友、喜剧演员、音乐家等,内容涉及生活以及他们与父亲之间美妙而复杂的关系。
Her podcast, thanks dad, is full of funny, heartfelt conversations with actors, including fellow SNL alums, comedians, musicians, and more about life and their wonderfully complicated relationships with their fathers.
我认为并希望这是一件好事。
I think and hope that's a good thing.
来认识一下Ego。
Get to know Ego.
关注《Thanks Dad with Ego Wodom》,今天就通过免费的iHeartRadio应用开始收听吧。
Follow Thanks Dad with Ego Wodom and start listening on the free iHeartRadio app today.
欢迎来到《Stuff You Should Know》,iHeartRadio出品。
Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
嘿,欢迎收听本播客。
Hey, and welcome to the podcast.
我是乔希,这位是查克,杰瑞也在这里,这里是《你应该知道的事》。
I'm Josh, and there's Chuck, and Jerry's here too, and this is Stuff You Should Know.
没错。
That's right.
你有个简短的通知要宣布。
You got a quick announcement.
是的,我有。
I I do.
我
I
我也这么认为。
think so.
嗯,如果你是指我们即将发布的新播放列表,是那个吗?
Well, if you're talking about our our new playlist that's coming out, that one?
没错。
That's right.
是的。
Yeah.
我们即将发布一个新的播放列表。
We have a new playlist coming out.
对吧,查克?
Right, Chuck?
对。
Yeah.
这个假期季,我想实际上很快就会推出了。
This holiday season, I think coming out very soon, actually.
我们有'假日玩具十二天'特辑,因为我们多年来制作了很多精彩的玩具主题节目,现在我们把它们汇编在一起,供全家人一起欣赏。
We have the twelve days of holiday toys because we've got lots of great toy episodes over the years, and we've compiled them together for the whole family to enjoy.
没错。
That's right.
我们很喜欢那些玩具主题的节目。
We love those toy episodes.
我想它会在12月12日发布。
I think it comes out on December 12.
对吧?
Right?
我也这么认为。
I think so.
而且,我的意思是,在真实时间,或者说不是实时,但在真实的播客时间线上,我想就是这周。
And that's what, like I mean, in real time, this probably or not real time, but in real podcast time this this week, I think.
我也这么认为。
I think so too.
你可能会问,要怎样才能收听到这些剧集呢?
And what do you have to do to get these episodes, you may ask?
什么都不用做。
Nothing.
你一根手指头都不用动。
You don't have to lift a single finger.
我们会像往常一样把它们放到订阅源里,希望大家喜欢。
We're gonna put them in the feed like we have been, and hope you enjoy them.
是的。
Yeah.
完全同意。
Totally.
另外,关于这期BBC节目,我还有一个公告要宣布。
And I have another announcement for this BBC episode.
好的。
Okay.
是这么说吗?
Is that how you say it?
围兜?
The bib?
是的。
Yeah.
我也听说了。
I've heard that too.
你说什么?
What do you say?
我本来整期节目都想这么说的。
That's how I was gonna say it the whole episode.
这一期,甚至比我们很多其他可能做100期的节目还要明显。
This one, even more so than a lot of our others that are, you know, you could potentially do a 100 episodes on.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
这这就像是严肃的概览领域,当你谈论像BBC这样影响深远、历史悠久且在文化上堪称传奇的事物时。
This this is like serious overview territory when you're talking about something as far reaching and long standing and sort of legendary culturally as the BBC is.
我可不想我们大洋彼岸的听众们觉得,伙计们,你们就打算给我们讲45分钟的BBC?
I don't want our our our listeners across the pond to be like, guys, you're gonna give us, you know, forty five minutes on the BBC?
这正是我们要做的。
That's exactly what we're gonna do.
而且是带着爱。
And it's with love.
是的。
Yeah.
还要特别感谢我们在英国的同事凯尔,他将这个庞大复杂的话题整理得相当不错且易于理解。
And and big thanks to our man in Britain, Kyle, for wrangling this huge massive topic into something pretty pretty good and understandable.
没错。
Yeah.
因为我得说,我热爱BBC。
Because I gotta say, I love the BBC.
一直如此。
Always have.
是的。
Yeah.
从我小时候看起,真的吗?
Since I was a little kid, watching Oh, really?
是的。
Yeah.
在公共电视上观看他们的节目。
Watching their content on public television.
嗯哼。
Uh-huh.
你知道,从《飞行马戏团》到《班尼·希尔秀》再到《弗尔蒂旅馆》,然后大学时有个英国室友,他会跟我讲《东区人》和
You know, everything from Flying Circus to Benny Hill to Fawlty Towers, and then having a British roommate in college, he would tell me about the EastEnders and
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
你知道,就是所有他从小到大接触的那些东西。
You know, all the all the, you know, stuff that he grew up with.
它一直让我感到亲切和珍贵。
And it's just been near and dear.
我经常阅读BBC新闻。
I read the BBC news all the time.
就是,你知道,我真的很喜欢它。
It's just, you know, I love it.
我小时候也经常看《班尼·希尔》。
I definitely watched Benny Hill a lot when I was a kid too.
所以我想我当时没意识到那是BBC的内容,但它确实是,对吧?
So I guess I didn't realize it was BBC content, but it totally was, wasn't it?
是的。
Yeah.
你只是以为他是个来自印第安纳、说话搞笑的家伙。
You just thought it was some guy who talked funny from Indiana.
没错。
Right.
还喜欢裸露的胸部。
Who liked bare bare breasts.
是的。
Yes.
他真的很喜欢胸部,老兄。
He was really into boobs, man.
确实如此。
He was.
如果说有谁对胸部情有独钟,那一定是班尼·希尔。
If there was ever a person into boobs, it was Benny Hill.
没错。
Yeah.
还有12岁的查克。
And 12 year old Chuck.
所以,是的。
So, yeah.
这很酷。
That's cool.
我想,我对BBC的喜爱比我想象的还要久。
I guess, I've loved the BBC longer than I thought too.
所以,这算是一个致敬吧。
So this is, it's a hat tip, I guess.
同时,非常感谢BBC,但也对其持严厉批评态度。
Also, big thanks to the BBC, and also deeply critical of it.
是的。
Yeah.
向这个103年历史的机构致敬。
To this 103 year old institution.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
是的。
Yeah.
正好赶上它的一百零三岁生日。
Just in time for its hundred and third birthday.
那么,我们开始吧。
So let's get started.
你提到它被称为BIB。
You mentioned that it's called BIB.
我之前没听说过这个,但显然这说法相当准确。
I had not heard that before, but apparently it's quite accurate.
而BIB,你可以把它比作美国的NPR,那里有很多,你知道的,指责它带有左倾偏见,然后左派人士又说,不,它是右倾偏见。
And the BIB, you can liken it in The US to NPR, where there's a lot of, you know, accusations of it being left leaning bias, and then people on the left are like, no, it's right bias.
它尽最大努力在可能的情况下保持中立立场。
It does its best to stay middle ground if possible.
这与公共资金有关,但方式大不相同。
It has to do with public funding, but in a much different way.
嗯。
Mhmm.
它是一个受人尊敬的机构,但比美国的NPR或公共广播要历史悠久得多。
It's a and it's a venerable institution, but like way more venerable than NPR or public broadcasting is here in The United States.
它是英国文化的重要组成部分。
It is a big chunk of British culture.
从这个意义上说,我感觉到即使是那些对BBC嗤之以鼻的人,仍然对BBC及其存在抱有某种自豪感。
And in that sense, I get the sense that even people who are like, to hell with BBC, still feel some sort of like pride in the BBC and its existence.
是的。
Yeah.
而且,你知道,正如我们所了解到的,这一切都是有意为之。
And, you know, that is all as we have learned by design.
那绝非偶然。
That was no accident.
它是世界上最大的广播公司。
It is the world's largest broadcaster.
它拥有超过21,000名员工。
It has 21,000 plus employees.
而且没人知道。
And nobody knows.
它是最古老的国家广播公司。
It's the it's the oldest national broadcaster.
没人知道他们制作了多少节目。
Nobody knows how many programs they put out.
凯尔说大概在一千万到两千万之间。
Kyle said between ten and twenty million.
所以那真是海量内容,也是一块巨大的缓冲垫。
So that's a that's a lot of stuff, and that's also a big cushion.
确实如此。
It really is.
那是一个缓冲空间。
That's a margin.
是的。
Yeah.
这就叫对冲。
That's called hedging.
对。
Yeah.
这其中包含了,我认为,你知道,一切,广播,因为正如我们将看到的,他们的小玩意儿遍布所有地方。
And that includes, I think, you know, everything, radio and because as we'll see, their little thingies are in all the figgy puddings.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,如果你住在英国,几乎可以肯定,你总会以某种方式、形态或形式接触到BBC的内容,因为他们曾经主导了广播和电视。
And I mean, if you live in The UK, there's some way, shape, or form that you're taking in BBC content almost certainly because they dominate or they they did at one point dominate radio, dominate television.
现在,就新闻网站而言,他们在互联网上开辟了道路,拥有巨大的网络影响力。
Now that they blaze the trail onto the Internet as far as news sites go, they have a huge web presence.
然后,在世界各地也是如此,他们拥有所谓的‘世界服务’,你可以在全球各地观看BBC新闻。
And then in the like across the world as well, they have what's called the World Service, where you can watch BBC news all over the world.
所以这个名字很贴切。
So it's appropriately named.
而且他们声称在全球拥有近五亿的观众。
And they say that they have an audience of almost half a billion people around the world.
我相信这一点。
I believe it.
我也相信这一点。
I believe it too.
我自己就知道大概有2.5亿人观看BBC。
I know probably 250,000,000 people who watch the BBC myself.
B,我们应该回到开头吗?
B should we go back to the beginning?
是的。
Yeah.
那我们就从头开始吧。
Let's go with the the beginning.
好的。
Alright.
所以我们必须得走了。
So we gotta go.
我说它已经有103年历史了。
I said it was a 103 years old.
所以如果你进位1,再减去那个,我们算到1922年,这就是我们乘坐英国时光机要去的地方。
So if you carry the one, you subtract that, you do the 1922 is where we're going in in our British wayback machine.
注意脚下间隙。
Mind the gap.
你知道,这机器靠煤炭和牧羊人馅饼驱动。
Which, you know, runs on on coal and shepherd's pie.
我们要去的是1922年10月18日,因为那天英国广播公司成立了,后来才改制为公营机构。它最初是由他们所谓的邮政总局牵头成立的合伙公司,当时邮政总局基本上负责运营电报业务。
And 10/18/1922 is where we're going because that is where the British Broadcasting Company was formed before they became the corporation as a partnership between what they called the post office, which at the time was basically their they ran the telegraph service over there.
还有马可尼公司,他们说,我有很多收音机想卖,但你们没有内容可以放在收音机上播。
And the Marconi company who said, I got a lot of radios I'd like to sell, but you got nothing to put on the radio.
哦,我们好久没听到这个说法了。
Oh, we haven't heard that in a while.
是的,确实有段时间了。
Yeah, it's been a minute.
那么,还记得在我们关于调幅广播的那期节目里,我们谈到马可尼公司在世界各地设立公司的事吗?
So, remember in our AM radio episode, we talked about the Marconi company setting up companies all over the world?
是的。
Yeah.
这,这正是一个很好的例子,当时英国政府的态度是,嘿,这个方案怎么样?
This is this is a good example of that, and the British government was like, hey, how about this?
我们将确保你没有任何竞争,也就是给你垄断权,但你必须制作出相当优质的内容。
We will make sure you have zero competition that is will give you a monopoly, but you gotta make some pretty good content here.
我们想听到好东西。
We wanna hear good stuff.
现在我们听到的都是这些,我们想听比那更好的内容。
Right now all we hear is and we wanna hear better stuff than that.
是的。
Yeah.
于是马可尼公司建立了这个,他们设立了这家电台,就像你说的,在1922年,我想五年后,英国政府就说,现在这是我们的了,这是一个国有垄断企业。
And so the Marconi company set this up, they they established this this station, like you said, in 1922, and I guess five years later, the British government was like, this is ours now, this is a state owned monopoly.
我不知道马可尼公司后来怎么样了,但听起来他们被晾在一边了,我想这是我能想到的最委婉的说法。
I don't know what happened to the Marconi company, but it sounds like they got hung out to dry, I guess, is the nicest way I can put it.
是的。
Yeah.
我敢打赌他们做到了。
Bet they did.
好的。
Okay.
所以那是在1927年,它成为了广播公司。
So that was '27 when it became the Broadcasting Corporation.
而且,你知道,几乎从一开始,他们就明确表态:这就是我们要做的。
And very, you know, kinda right out of the gate, were like, here's what we're gonna do.
我们不会让它变成那种文化和娱乐的奇怪混合体,虽然由政府运作,但据说政府干预得不多。
We're not gonna it's gonna be this weird hybrid of culture and entertainment kind of ran through run through the government, but supposedly the government doesn't intervene too much.
要理解这一切是如何运作的有点困难,但有时它确实运作得非常好。
It's it's kinda hard to to reckon how that all works, and sometimes it works really well.
有时也会引发很多争议。
Sometimes there's been a lot of controversy.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
但他们很早就决定,我们不做广告。
But what they did decide early on is we're not gonna advertise.
至少我们不会公开向人们征税。
We're not gonna tax people outwardly, at least.
我们将实行所谓的许可费制度,这对我们美国人来说是一种非常奇怪的安排,即家庭每年支付一定金额,从1923年开始是10先令,用于资助BBC。
We're gonna have what's called a license fee, which is this, to us in The United States, a very strange sort of arrangement wherein households pay a certain amount of money, starting in 1923 with 10 shillings a year, to fund the BBC.
这就像是你的家庭许可证,用来收听广播,后来还能看电视节目和收听广播。
And that's like your household license to listen to and then later watch stuff on television and listen on the radio.
你是说,在英国看电视必须要有许可证,是这个意思吗?
Like, have to have a license to watch TV in The UK is what you're saying.
是的。
Yeah.
但他们不会说,好了,现在给你开机密码。
But they don't they don't say, alright, now here's the code to turn it on.
我的意思是,我猜,这就像是一种诚信制度吗?
I mean, I guess, is it just like a honor system?
凯尔就是这么说的,所以我们得再找凯尔确认一下。
That's what Kyle so we were we had to follow-up with Kyle.
我们当时就想,我们实在搞不懂这个执照费是怎么回事,因为你们英国人好像觉得这是世界上最正常不过的事情。
We're like, we do not get this license thing because it's just you Brits just take it as like every it's just the most normal thing in the world.
其实并不是这样。
It's not.
所以,结果证明这似乎确实是一种诚信制度,而且大多数人都会遵守,部分原因是大多数人都有诚信,但显然也存在一个非常现实的威胁,那就是BBC会派出一些政府打手出现在你家门口,然后问,嘿。
So it turns out that the it is it does seem to be on an honor system and that most people follow that in part because most people have honor, but also there's apparently a very real threat that the BBC will send out some government goons to show up at your doorstep and be like, hey.
你有电视执照吗?
Are you do you have a TV license?
我猜有些人认为他们有义务开门让那个人进来,看看他们是否有电视,但他们拿不出执照,然后你可能会被罚款一千美元。
And I guess some people think that it's it's incumbent upon them to open their door and let the person in to see that they have a TV and they they can't produce a license, and you can get fined a thousand dollars.
而且,显然,是英镑吗?
And apparently, have trucks Pounds?
他们说。
They say.
英镑,谢谢,这超过一千美元了。
Pounds, thank you, which is more than a thousand dollars.
你还应该提到Goon Squad。
You should have also said the Goon Squad.
我确实应该提的。
I should have.
让我重新来过,咱们从头开始吧。
I I let me just retake this whole let's just start at the beginning again.
你得
You have
戴上你的水手帽,端上一杯茶,才能真正进入状态,你知道的。
to put on your newsboy cap and get out your cup of tea to really get in the the zone, you know.
真的吗?
Really.
我的,立顿黑莓茶。
My my, Lipton's blackberry tea.
是的。
Yeah.
但显然,他们会到你家来。
But apparently, they will come to your house.
所以你想想,对吧?
So think about this, right?
如果你不在英国,却订阅了Netflix,而且你之所以能看Netflix是因为用了朋友的密码,想象一下,如果Netflix的人出现在你家门口,然后说:'你是不是在免费看Netflix?'
If you are not in The UK and you subscribe to Netflix, and you get Netflix because you're using a friend's password, Imagine if Netflix showed up on your doorstep and said, you getting Netflix for free?
没错。
Yeah.
然后你说没有,他们就说:'证明给我看,让我进去,让我检查一下你到底有没有在用Netflix,因为我们知道你没有自己的账户。'
And you say no, and they say, prove it, let me in, let me go check and see if you have Netflix, because we know you don't have your own account.
这基本上就是他们用那个手段做的事。
That's essentially what they do with that.
是的。
Yeah.
我相信2025年的彩色电视执照费是174.5英镑。
I believe the the color TB license for 2025 is a £174.50.
有22,800,000人支付这笔费用,大约12%的人不支付。
22,800,000 people pay this, about 12% don't.
他们就是设法逃避了这笔费用,总计约38亿英镑,这些钱流向了BBC和政府。
They just sort of evade that cost for a total of about £3,800,000,000 that goes to the BBC and the government.
但这个牌照将在2027年到期,关于接下来会发生什么,目前有很多犹豫和争论。
But this license expires in 2027, and there's a lot of hemming and hawing going on over what's gonna happen next.
是的。
Yeah.
纵观其历史,这些十年期特许状会得到续签和审查,通常政府会要求回报,或者至少公开严厉批评他们。
Over the course of its history, these ten year charters that they get that get renewed and reviewed, usually the government wants something in return or at the very least rakes them over the coals publicly.
不过从我读到的内容来看,这似乎确实是BBC及其特许状面临的一个特别严峻的形势。
But it does seem, from what I was reading, that this this does seem like to be a particularly dire situation for the BBC and their charter.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
For sure.
所以有很多人认为,不,我们应该彻底废除BBC,或者让他们在自由市场中竞争。
So there's a lot of people who are like, no, let's let's get rid of the BBC altogether or let's let them compete in the free market.
他们可以卖广告。
They can sell ads.
这是一种不公平的、带有侵略性的税收,最贫困的人群不得不为此支付他们收入中最大比例的费用,无论他们是否愿意,仅仅是为了看电视。
It's an unfair aggressive tax where the poorest people have to pay the most percentage of their income for it, whether they want to or not just to watch TV.
关于接下来该怎么做,有很多相互竞争的想法,而BBC的态度是:这样如何?
There's a lot of competing ideas for what to do and the BBC's like, how about this?
我们干脆什么都不改变,只是稍微提高一点许可费。
Let's just not change anything and increase the license fee a little bit.
而他们现在得到的回应是一片沉默。
And they're getting crickets back right now.
是的。
Yeah.
他们得到的回应寥寥无几。
They're getting crickets.
所以,时间会证明一切。
So, time will tell.
到2027年,我们会回来报告发生了什么。
On 2027, we'll report back what happened.
好的。
Okay.
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
一点后续跟进。
A little follow-up.
但让我们回到最初,因为他们一开始有一个指引方向,就是我之前提到的,那是在第一次世界大战,也就是大战之后,他们真的说过,让我们创办这个东西来体现作为一个英国人的意义,并通过,你知道的,体育当然会随之而来,还有音乐、访谈、纪录片、戏剧以及当时的各种节目,把我们的共同文化传播到世界。
But let's go back to the beginning because they had a guiding light at the beginning, which I was talking about, which was after the World War I, the Great War, they really said, let's let's start this thing to embody what it means to be a Briton and to sort of get our common culture out there to the world through, you know, sports obviously would come along, and and music and interviews and documentaries and plays and things at the time.
早期有三位人物,我想可以算是创始人。
And there were three dudes early on that were the, I guess, the founders.
塞西尔·刘易斯,他是一名战斗机飞行员,前战斗机飞行员。
Cecil Lewis, who was a fighter pilot, former fighter pilot.
伙计,你这些英国发音说得真准。
Man, you are nailing the British pronunciations here.
是的。
Yeah.
他可能就叫塞西尔。
He might have gone by Cecil.
我不确定。
I don't know.
还有一位名叫亚瑟·巴罗斯的广播员,以及他们的第一任总干事,也就是负责整个事务的人,他的名字是约翰,我想是叫赖特吧?
A broadcaster named Arthur Burrows, and their first director general, who was the person, in charge of the whole thing, his name was John, I think, Wright?
我选的是里斯。
I'm going with Reith.
你选的是里斯?
You're going with Reith?
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
总干事负责管理,但他们也需要与政府任命的理事会合作,或者可能向其汇报。
And the director general is in charge, but they also there's also a government board of governors that they work with or maybe answer to.
对。
Right.
关于BBC,其中一个特点,也是它如此受尊敬的原因之一,在于它是一个巨大的开拓者,这要归功于这三位男士及其远见。
One of the things about the BBC, one of the reasons it's so venerated, it was a huge trailblazer, thanks to these three guys and their vision.
我看到《新世界百科全书》将约翰·里思描述为一个智力超群、雄心勃勃且道德观念刻板的人。
I saw that John Reith was described by the New World Encyclopedia as a man of high intelligence, great ambition, and rigid moral views.
而且,他们从一开始就为广播、广播新闻业以及如何创造一种共同文化设定了标准。
And just like out of the gate, they set the standard for broadcasting, for broadcast journalism, for what it meant to kind of create a common culture.
还记得在我们周六早晨卡通片的那期节目里,我们讨论过周六早晨卡通片如何起到吟游诗人般的作用吗?
Remember in our Saturday morning cartoon episode, we talked about how Saturday morning cartoons played like a bardic function?
是的。
Yeah.
就是它为一大群人提供共同文化的那种功能?
Where it gives a common culture to a bunch of people?
这正是他们的目标之一,即创造一种共同的英国文化,而这恰好发生在第一次世界大战之后。
That was part of their goal, was to create a common British culture, and that happened right after World War I.
当时,人们之间没有任何共同点,因此BBC的出现是一件好事。
At the time, nobody had anything in common, so it was a good thing that the BBC came along.
是的。
Yeah.
当时无线电还处于初期阶段,凯尔发现了一个有趣的现象。
And this was in the infancy of radio at the time, and such that Kyle dug up this kind of fun thing.
我想一些录音室和广播室里曾挂着一块牌子,上面用大写字母写着:你将使成千上万人耳聋。
I guess there was a sign in some of the recording studios and broadcasting studios where it said, you will, all caps, deafen thousands.
所以人们并不知道自己在做什么。
So people didn't know what they were doing.
因此他们必须慢慢摸索出整个体系。
So they really had to kinda figure this whole thing out.
早期,面对麦克风坐下是一件非常令人畏惧的事,因为之前从来没有人做过这种事。
It was a very intimidating thing, you know, early on to sit in front of a microphone when no one had done that kind of thing before.
是的。
Yeah.
即使是作为播音员的亚瑟·巴勒斯也说,向数百万人广播是件可怕的事。
And even Arthur Burrows as a broadcaster, he said broadcasting to millions was awful.
他们还担心,用他们的话说,会有某个疯子对着麦克风造成巨大破坏。
And they were worried about getting, you know, quote, some madman on the microphone who could do a lot of damage.
所以,在他们刚开始涉足这个领域时,这确实是件相当令人胆怯的事。
So it was a it was a pretty intimidating thing at first when they were getting their feet wet.
是的。
Yeah.
所以对于英国以外的人们来说,BBC就是唯一的选择。
And so for people outside of Britain too, the BBC was it.
他们是唯一的广播电台,并非因为没有竞争,而是因为他们拥有垄断地位。
They were the only radio station, not because they were there were there was no competition, they had a monopoly.
在长达数十年的时间里,他们垄断了广播和后来的电视行业,这一点需要记住。
For years and years and years, they had a monopoly on radio and then television, so just bear that in mind.
因此,这些人肩负着重大责任,他们意识到自己承担着为整个国家提供大众传播服务的使命,并且非常认真地对待这份责任。
So it was really incumbent upon these guys and they realized their responsibility to be the provider of mass communication for their entire nation and they took that responsibility seriously.
他们于1922年11月14日以呼号2LO开启了这一切,那是他们从马可尼公司获得的广播许可证。
And they started the whole thing out on 11/14/1922 with the call sign 2LO, That was their broadcast license from the Marconi company.
亚瑟·巴罗斯当时说:喂,喂。
And Arthur Burrows said, hello, hello.
这里是2LO,英国广播公司伦敦站呼叫。
This is two l o, the London station of the British Broadcasting Company calling.
2LO呼叫。
Duelo calling.
那是我提到的亚瑟·巴勒斯。
And that was my Arthur Burroughs.
这相当不错。
It's pretty good.
请大家记住,他第一天非常紧张。
And keep in mind, everyone, he was very nervous on the first day.
所以乔希听起来是那样的。
That's why Josh sounded like that.
然后他就开始着手推进节目内容。
Then he went on to just sort of get the content underway.
他播报了一分钟的天气和新闻简报,这真的很可爱。
He did a one minute weather and news bulletin, and this is adorable.
接着他又用更慢的语速重复了一遍,大概是方便人们做笔记,之后可以念给家人听。
Then he repeated it slower, so people could take notes to, I guess, read back to their family.
而且从一开始,他们当时并没有称之为BBC英语。
And from the get go, they they didn't call it BBC English at the time.
它被称为标准发音。
What it was called was Received Pronunciation.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
但他们都同意这种口音将成为标准口音。
But it was this sort of accent that they all agreed would be the accent.
他们不喜欢地方口音出现,也不喜欢每个人都各行其是。
They didn't like regional accents coming on and everyone sort of doing their own thing.
他们选择了这种中产阶级的南部英语口音,就像伊顿公学那样,大家都差不多。
They opted for this middle class southern English that like at the Eaton School, where it was just sort of the same.
是的。
Yeah.
显然,这种口音自十八世纪以来就在贵族阶层中逐渐形成了。
Apparently, it had been generating among aristocrats since, like, the eighteenth century.
与此同时,还有一些殖民者在北美建立殖民地,他们已经脱离了那种口音。
And at that same time, there were colonists who were setting up colonies in North America who had separated from that.
所以从某些方面来说,如今美国人说话的方式与莎士比亚时代人们的说话方式,比当今英国人与莎士比亚时代人们的说话方式有更多的相似之处,尤其是在硬R音的发音上。
And so there are, in some ways, a lot more similarities to how Americans talk today to how people in Shakespeare's time would have spoken than the people in Great Britain today and The UK have with the people in Shakespeare's time, especially hard Rs.
就像莎士比亚可能会问,什么是汽车?
Like Shakespeare would have been like, what is a car?
或者用H音代替
Or the H's instead of
亨利·希金斯?
Henry Higgins?
对。
Right.
你会说,亨利·希金斯。
You would say, Henry Higgins.
美国人就是这样说的。
That's how Americans say it.
所以这两个主要差异,就是英国人以前在大约十八世纪时的说话方式。
So those two big differences, that's how Brits used to speak before, I guess about the eighteen hundreds.
是的。
Yeah.
于是他们在二十世纪二十年代迅速推动了各种内容的发展。
And so they, you know, they got the ball rolling very fast on all kinds of content in the nineteen twenties.
他们有一个叫‘儿童时光’的节目。
They had something called a children's hour.
他们开始在伦敦一些著名的音乐厅举办现场音乐会。
They started playing live concerts at some of London's, you know, venerated halls.
1927年,他们开始转播足总杯决赛,这是历史上首次对任何事件进行现场解说,不仅仅是体育赛事。
In 1927, they started sports broadcasting with the FA Cup final, which is the the very first ever live commentary for any event, not just sports.
嗯嗯。
Mhmm.
到20年代末,也就是第一个十年结束时,实际上仅仅八年,他们就有了两百万个执照持有者。
And by the end of the nineteen twenties, by the end of that first decade, really just eight years, they had 2,000,000 license holders.
这些是家庭单位,所以实际听众数量远超这个数字。
Those were households, so they had a lot more than that as active listeners.
他们从一开始就成为了一个备受尊敬和受人信赖的机构。
And they were a a venerated, respected institution, kind of right out of the gate.
是的。
Yes.
但在那之前,他们与政府发生了第一次重大冲突,我们稍作休息,回来再聊这个话题。
But before that, they ran into their first major headbutt with government, and I say we take a break and come back and talk about that.
关于丘吉尔?
About Churchill?
没错。
That's right.
我们马上回来。
We'll be right back.
你好。
Hi.
我是乔·温特斯坦,《灵性女儿》播客的主持人,我们在这里探讨占星学、出生星盘,以及如何活出最精彩的人生。
This is Jo Winterstein, host of the spirit daughter podcast, where we talk about astrology, natal charts, and how to step into your most vibrant life.
我刚和一个迷你司机坐了下来。
And I just sat down with a mini driver.
那位爱尔兰旅行者在我16岁时说,你会在男人那里遇到大麻烦。
The Irish traveler said when I was 16, you're gonna have a terrible time with men.
演员、故事讲述者,以及毫不掩饰的水瓶座梦想家。
Actor, storyteller, and unapologetic Aquarian visionary.
水瓶座的核心就是热爱自由和拥有不同的视角。
Aquarius is all about freedom loving and different perspectives.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
而且我发现很多水瓶座特质很强的人,比如,经常被误解。
And I find a lot of people with strong placements in Aquarius, like, are misunderstood.
她第七宫的水瓶座太阳和金星,点燃了她对伴侣关系的非传统态度。
A sun and Venus in Aquarius in her seventh house spark her unconventional approach to partnership.
他真的教会了我去接纳人们睡在不同的房间、不同的房子、不同的地方,就是去拥抱这一切的'如是'状态。
He really has taught me to embrace people sleeping in different rooms, on different houses, in different places, but just an embracing of the isness of it all.
如果你正在经历自己的转变,或者只是想从星盘角度了解一位顶尖艺术家如何融合占星学、创造力和现实生活,那么这期节目不容错过。
If you're navigating your own transformation or just want a chart side view into how a leading artist integrates astrology, creativity, and real life, this episode is a must listen.
请于2月24日起,在iHeartRadio应用、Apple播客或您常用的播客平台收听《灵性女儿》播客。
Listen to the spirit daughter podcast starting on February 24 on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcasts.
2023年,一则新闻震惊英国,引发了人们的恐惧与难以置信。
In 2023, a story gripped The UK, evoking horror and disbelief.
这位本该负责照料脆弱婴儿的护士,如今已成为英国现代史上杀害儿童最多的凶手。
The nurse who should have been in charge of caring for tiny babies is now the most prolific child killer in modern British history.
所有人都以为他们知道结局如何。
Everyone thought they knew how it ended.
一个判决?
A verdict?
一个恶人。
A villain.
一位名叫露西·莱比的护士。
A nurse named Lucy Letby.
露西·莱比已被判有罪。
Lucy Letby has been found guilty.
但如果我们并未了解事情的全貌呢?
But what if we didn't get the whole story?
当你审视整个事件时,这个案子就站不住脚了。
The moment you look at the whole picture, the case collapses.
我是阿曼达·诺克斯,在新播客《露西·莱比案》中,我们将追踪证据,并听取亲历者的讲述,探究当世界对露西·莱比做出定论时,究竟发生了什么。
I'm Amanda Knox, and in the new podcast, The Case of Lucy Letby, we follow the evidence and hear from the people that lived it to ask what really happened when the world decided who Lucy Letby was.
没有表达任何怀疑或质疑。
No voicing of any skepticism or doubt.
这会造成极大的伤害
It'll cause so much harm
在英国体制的每一个层面,这种错误都会造成伤害。
at every single level of the British establishment of this wrong.
请在iHeartRadio应用程序、Apple Podcasts或您获取播客的任何平台收听《怀疑:露西·莱比案》。
Listen to Doubt, the case of Lucy Letby on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
中国国家安全部是世界上最神秘、最强大的间谍机构之一。
China's Ministry of State Security is one of the most mysterious and powerful spy agencies in the world.
但在2017年,联邦调查局成功渗透了进去。
But in 2017, the FBI got inside.
我是特别探员雷加尔,这位是特别探员布拉德利·霍尔。
This is Special Agent Regal, Special Agent Bradley Hall.
这位MSS官员完全不知道美国政府已经盯上他了。
This MSS officer has no idea the US government is onto him.
但联邦调查局掌握了他的聊天记录、短信、电子邮件,甚至他的个人日记。
But the FBI has his chats, texts, emails, even his personal diary.
请在第六局播客中收听他们是如何获取这些信息的。
Hear how they got it on the sixth Bureau podcast.
我现在拥有数TB的、毫无疑问属于一名国安部官员的生活数据。
I now have several terabytes of an MSS officer, no doubt, no question, of his life.
那就是'独角兽'。
And that's the Unicorn.
从来没有人见过类似的东西。
No one had ever seen anything like that.
这简直令人难以置信。
It was unbelievable.
这是一个关于国家安全部内部运作的故事,讲述了一个人的野心和错误如何打开了其秘密宝库。
This is a story of the inner workings of the MSS, and how one man's ambition and mistakes opened its vault of secrets.
请在iHeartRadio应用、Apple Podcasts或任何你获取播客的地方收听《第六局》。
Listen to the sixth bureau on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
那么,查克,我们之前谈到过他们与政府的正面冲突。
So, Chuck, we talked about them headbutting with government.
第一次发生这种情况是在1926年的大罢工期间,当时来自各行各业的一大批人举行罢工,声援煤矿工人。
The first time it ever happened was with the nineteen twenty six general strike, which is when a bunch of people go on strike from all different kinds of professions, and they were doing this in sympathy with coal miners.
我记得当时有超过一百万煤矿工人的工资被削减,因此来自不同行业的一大批人加入了罢工,其中包括报社的印刷工人。
I think one more than a million coal miners were having their wages reduced, and so a bunch of different people from different professions went on strike and that included print workers at the newspapers.
于是,除了政府拥有的《英国公报》外,其他报纸实际上都停刊了。
So the newspapers effectively shut down except for the British Gazette, which was a government owned newspaper.
而这家政府拥有的报纸则宣称,这次罢工糟透了,所有支持罢工的人也都很糟糕。
And the government owned newspaper was like, this strike sucks and everybody who likes it sucks too.
但这使得BBC成为唯一报道此事的大众传播形式,而且显然温斯顿·丘吉尔对BBC——这个政府所有的垄断机构——的态度很不满意,它并没有简单地表示‘这次罢工糟透了,支持罢工的人都很差劲’。
But that left the BBC as the only form of mass communication reporting on this stuff, and apparently Winston Churchill was not very happy with the idea that the BBC, the government owned monopoly, was not just being like, this strike sucks, and anybody who likes it sucks.
他们对此进行了中立的报道。
They were reporting neutrally on it.
是的。
Yeah.
他当时是财政大臣,但显然影响力很大。
He was a finance minister at the time, but he had a a lot of sway, obviously.
然后他说,嘿。
And he was like, hey.
我,我认为我们应该宣布进入紧急状态,然后接管BBC。
I I think we should declare an emergency and take over the BBC.
而总干事抵制了这个提议。
And the director general resisted.
里思确实这么做了,他说,不行。
Reith did, and he said, no.
我们不会让那种情况发生。
We're not gonna let that happen.
但他们似乎是被迫减少了另一方的报道。
But they it seems like they were strong armed into not airing the other side as much.
一个例子是,他们曾邀请首相斯坦利·鲍德温上节目,当时他们是在赖特家进行广播的。
One example is when they had prime minister Stanley Baldwin on at one point, and this was at Wright's house they were broadcasting out of.
反对党领袖拉姆齐·麦克唐纳则表示,那我现在也应该上节目。
The leader of the opposition, Ramsey MacDonald, was like, well, I I get to come on now too.
对吧?
Right?
而政府拒绝了那个要求。
And the government refused that.
所以,在罢工的剩余时间里,他们大体上保持了一定的中立性。
So they they remained, you know, through the rest of the strike, somewhat impartial.
他们没让麦克唐纳上节目,但确实也基本阻止了丘吉尔在BBC露面,直到他1938年辞职。
They didn't let McDonald on, but they did block Churchill basically from being on the BBC until he resigned in 1938.
所以他们就说,你永远别想上这个节目。
So they were like, you're never coming on here.
不。
No.
这实际上是一次相当成功的政变,因为丘吉尔喜欢发表讲话和演讲。
That's quite a coup actually, because Churchill liked to talk and give speeches.
所以,在整个四十年代或者说从四十年代初到二战期间,他们设法坚持下来,并尽可能地进行报道。
So throughout the the forties or the beginning of the forties through World War two, they managed to hang on and keep reporting as best as possible.
广播确实做到了。
The radio definitely did.
它变成了政府的宣传工具。
It became a government propaganda outlet.
一些被占领的欧洲国家势力逃到英国后,利用BBC向国内的民众进行广播,我记得波兰流亡政府或流亡军队还通过它向波兰抵抗力量发送加密信息。
Some of the, European powers that had been overrun by the and had made their way to The UK used the BBC to broadcast to their their people back home, or I think the Polish army in exile or Polish government in exile sent coded messages to Polish resistance forces.
它就像,它依然在持续运作。
It like, it's it still kept going.
显然,他们的演播室在1940年被炸了,炸毁了好几层楼的上层部分。
Apparently, their studio was bombed in 1940, and it took out a a lot of the top few floors.
但幸运的是,他们当时在地下室进行广播,我猜当时播报新闻的那位工作人员掸了掸稿子上的灰尘,继续念了下去。
But luckily, they were broadcasting out of the basement still, and I guess the guy who was reading the news at the time dusted the the script off and kept reading.
你能听到背景里传来一声巨响,但新闻播报员基本上连节奏都没乱。
You heard kind of a boom in the background, but the newsreader basically didn't miss a beat.
是的。
Yeah.
他们坚持继续,因为他们肩负着这样的使命。
They kept going because they had that charge to do so.
在二十世纪三十年代,电视出现了。
The in the nineteen thirties is when TB came along.
所以最初,有一位名叫约翰·洛吉·贝尔德的苏格兰人。
So at the beginning, there was a Scotsman named John Logie Baird.
那是在1926年,他拥有这套非常古老的系统——你知道的,在当时可能相当先进,但现在看来很原始——一种机械系统,通过旋转圆盘来扫描和显示图像。
This is in 1926 where he had this really archaic, you know, I guess it was pretty advanced for the time, but archaic now, a mechanical system where they had rotating discs scanning and displaying images.
于是他们说,好吧。
And so they said, alright.
目前这样已经够好了。
That's good enough for now.
现在是1932年。
It's 1932.
没人会知道这个其实不怎么样。
No one will know that this isn't very good.
我简直无法想象。
I can't imagine.
他们推出了一项非常实验性的30线服务来展示这一点。
They put out a very experimental 30 line service to demonstrate that.
效果看起来不怎么样,但没过多久,马可尼又出现了,并声称他与EMI合作开发了一套更好的系统。
It didn't look so great, but it didn't take very long before they had Marconi came along again and said that he had a better system along with EMI.
1936年,他们在北伦敦的亚历山德拉宫推出了首个高清电视服务。
And in 1936, they had the first high def television service launched from Alexandra Palace in North London.
嗯。
Mhmm.
在当时,高清意味着240线或更高的分辨率。
And at the time, high def meant 240 lines of resolution or more.
是的。
Yeah.
这很疯狂,因为如今电视的高清分辨率大约是250线。
Which is nuts because TV high def today has something like 250.
是的。
Yeah.
至少。
At least.
至少。
At least.
所以BBC电视,嗯,BBC广播在战争期间一直持续播出,但BBC电视却关闭了,因为显然当时有很多担忧,担心信号可能被用来锁定目标并轰炸他们进行广播的亚历山德拉宫。
So the BBC TV, so BBC radio continued broadcasting throughout the war, but BBC television shut down because apparently there was a lot of concern that the signal could be used to lock on as a target and bomb Alexandria Palace where they were broadcasting from.
所以他们就想,好吧,我们不想冒那个险。
So they're like, well, we don't wanna risk that.
我们干脆停止广播。
We'll just stop broadcasting.
他们确实这么做了,从1939年到1946年,停了七年。
And they did for seven years, from 1939 to 1946.
是的。
Yeah.
就在他们家里刚装上这个新玩意儿之后。
Right after they got this new thing in in their households.
是的。
Yeah.
他们就那样,好吧,停了七年。
They were like, alright, for seven years.
你能想象自己是个孩子吗?
Can you imagine being a child?
不。
No.
我是说,虽然当时儿童节目内容不多,但一旦尝过电视的滋味,我想失去屏幕上的任何东西都很难受。
I mean, there wasn't the most kids content at the time, but still, anything on a TV screen, I imagine, was hard to lose after you tasted it.
我明白。
I know.
而且它已经存在了三年,这足以让人们深深迷上电视了。
And it was around for three years, so that was enough time to get people pretty strung out on TV.
没错。
Right.
是的。
Yeah.
你知道吗?
You know?
嗯哼。
Uh-huh.
要知道,这些人是一边摸索一边前进的。
Remember, these guys are figuring this stuff out as they go along.
就像BBC,他们涉足的几乎所有领域都是开拓者,而他们摸索的方式之一,基本上就是被直接扔进事情的核心。
Like, the BBC were trailblazers in just about everything they ever dipped their toe into, And one of the ways that they did figure stuff out was basically being dropped into the middle of it.
嗯。
Mhmm.
一个很好的例子发生在五十年代,1953年,伊丽莎白女王二世——就是续集那位——在她加冕的时候,BBC当时的反应基本上是:这是我们报道过的最重大的事件之一,即便不是最重大的,也是其中之一。
And one of a really good example of that came in the fifties, in 1953, when Queen Elizabeth the second, the sequel, when her when she was coronated, basically, the BBC was like, this is one of the biggest things we've ever covered, if not the biggest thing we've ever Yeah.
迄今为止报道过的最大事件。
Covered so far.
所以我们要全力以赴,把所有能用的手段都用上。
So we're gonna we're just gonna throw everything we can at it.
于是他们开始研发新技术,探索新的广播方式,还开创了滚动新闻播报的模式,在各个电视台之间接力报道,据我所知,那次报道相当成功。
So they started developing new technology, they figured out new ways of broadcasting, they figured out like rolling news coverage from, you know, station to station, and it was quite successful from what I understand too.
而且,结果是有很多人因此购买了电视机。
Plus also a lot of people bought TV sets as as a result.
是的。
Yeah.
所以他们能看到那个东西吗?
So they could see that thing?
对。
Yeah.
所以他们终于能看到伊丽莎白女王长什么样了。
So they could see what Queen Elizabeth looked like, finally.
是的。
Yeah.
我们在广播里听说可以通过电视看到她的样子,于是就出去买了一台。
They told us on the radio we could see what she looked like on TV, so we went out and bought one.
对。
Right.
她的头发挺好看的。
She's got pretty nice hair.
她戴着一顶王冠。
She's wearing a tiara.
我觉得那是白手套,不然她就是皮肤特别白。
I think those are white gloves or else she's quite pale.
我从这儿看不清。
I can't see from here.
那是一只可卡犬吗?
And is that a Corgi?
所以你提到了垄断。
So you mentioned the monopoly.
那个垄断最终在1955年被打破,当时独立电视台ITB开播了
That monopoly was eventually broken in 1955 when ITB, independent television, was launched
嗯。
Mhmm.
英国最古老的商业电视网。
The oldest commercial network in Britain.
然后最终在1982年,第四频道会开播。
And then eventually in 1982, Channel four would come along.
是的。
Yeah.
而且,你知道,突然间节目内容在二十世纪五十年代开始变得有点意思了,因为那时候开始出现更多样的内容,不再仅仅是转播加冕典礼、皇家阿尔伯特音乐厅的音乐会之类的活动。
And, you know, all of a sudden programming started to get somewhat interesting in, like, the nineteen fifties because you started to get a lot more you know, it wasn't just let's let's do the the coronation or this concert from Royal Albert Hall or something like that.
他们开始涉足喜剧和真正的娱乐节目。
They started to to get into comedy and sort of true entertainment.
无论好坏,一个糟糕的例子是名为《黑白吟游诗人秀》的节目,天哪,老兄。
For better or for worse, one example of for worse was a show called The Black and White Minstrel Show God, dude.
在1957年。
In 1957.
那个节目有1600万观众,从1957年一直播到1978年,是一部超级、超级、超级种族主义的吟游诗人秀。
They had 16,000,000 viewers for that show, and it ran from 1957 to 1978, a super, super, super racist minstrel show.
我们要说的是,从1962年开始,BBC的首席会计师就表示,这是一种耻辱,而且真的非常种族主义。
We will say from 1962, starting in 1962, the the chief accountant of the BBC was like, this is a disgrace and like really racist.
所以又过了十六年,BBC一台才表示,是的,也许你是对的。
And so it took another sixteen years for BBC One to say, yeah, maybe you're right.
是的。
Yeah.
那位首席会计师名叫巴里·索恩,他非常积极地要求停播这个节目。
That chief accountant's name was Barry Thorne and he was quite vociferous about getting this thing off the air.
他发送的一份备忘录中,收到了上级的回复,上面写着:看在上帝的份上,闭嘴吧。
And one of his memos that he sent, he got a reply from one of the higher ups that said, for heaven's sake, shut up.
他们只是把头埋在沙子里。
Just buried their heads in the sand.
他们拒绝承认这是一档具有冒犯性的种族主义节目。
They would not accept that this was an offensive racist show.
我读到过,即使在1957年,这档节目就已经是冒犯且种族主义的了,更不用说1978年了。
And I read, like, even in 1957, this was offensive and racist, alone 1978.
如果你去观看它,会发现它极端种族主义,简直令人瞠目结舌。
And if you go and watch it, it is jaw droppingly racist, like
是的。
Yeah.
而且它们根本就不好看。
And they're just not good.
确实不好看。
It isn't.
就像劳伦斯·韦尔克那样糟糕。
It's like Lawrence Welk terrible.
那本质上就是想象一下劳伦斯·威尔克的节目,里面每个男人都毫无缘由地涂着黑脸。
That's essentially it was imagine Lawrence Welk where every man is in blackface for no reason whatsoever.
这完全没有背景可言。
There's no context to it.
他们就是涂着黑脸,做着各种不同的事情,表演着各种不同的歌曲。
They're just in blackface doing all these different things and doing all these different song performances.
这简直太疯狂了。
It's it's insane.
比如,你真的应该去看看。
Like, you should definitely go check it out.
比如,如果你看过后没有完全被震惊到,我会很惊讶的。
Like, if it if it if you're not just, like, completely staggered by it, I will be surprised.
是的。
Yeah.
或者,你知道的,反省一下自己。
Or maybe, you know, check-in with yourself.
这是一个很好的试金石,观看黑白吟游诗人秀,看看你对它有什么看法。
That's a good litmus test, watching the black and white minstrel show and seeing what you think of it.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为这应该成为未来的测试标准。
That should be the the test moving forward, I think.
这太疯狂了,老兄。
It's so nuts, dude.
直接把人们连接到机器上。
Just hook people up to a machine.
没错。
Yep.
现在是六十年代了。
It's nineteen sixties now.
我们真的在飞速穿越各个年代。
We're really flying through the decades.
BBC二台于1964年开播,而彩色电视(英式拼写)则在1967年问世。
BBC two has come along in 1964, and Color TV with a u comes along in 1967.
正是在六十年代,一些有史以来最传奇的节目诞生了,其中最重要的莫过于1963年开播的科幻剧集《神秘博士》。
And this is when some some of the legendary shows over there of all time came about in the sixties, not the least of which, from 1963, was the sci fi series Doctor Who.
谁?
Who?
没错。
Exactly.
一个我从未看过的节目。
A show that I've never watched.
我也没看过。
No me either.
但我知道人们很喜欢它。
But I know people love it.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
我的意思是,它已经成为一部邪典经典,我想,快有七十五年了。
I mean, it's been a cult classic for, I think, coming up by seventy five years.
是的。
Yeah.
七十年?
Seventy years?
六十多年?
Sixty something?
一部小众经典能持续这么久,你知道吗?
That's a long time for a cult classic to be around, you know?
是的。
Yeah.
想想看。
Think about it.
《怪胎与书呆》只播了一季。
Freaks and Geeks was one season.
是的。
Yeah.
说得好。
Good point.
还有一部我也想看,虽然还没听说过,但据说影响巨大,我能理解原因。
There was also one that I'd like to see, I hadn't heard of it yet, but apparently it was enormous, and I can understand why.
是肯尼斯·克拉克的《文明》吗?
Was Kenneth Clark's Civilization
从'19到'90年代
from '19 This '90
这显然是他们推出的第一部精品剧集,基本上就是肯尼斯·克拉克讲述从黑暗时代到二十世纪的历史,探讨不同时代的哲学思想、社会变迁、事物发展以及人们如何相处互动。
apparently was like the first Prestige series that they ever came out with, and it was basically like Kenneth Clark going over the dark ages up to the twentieth century and talking about the philosophy of different eras and what was going on and how things developed and how people got along and interacted.
听起来真的很棒。
It sounds really amazing.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
For sure.
我也想看。
I wanna see that too.
也许我们应该订个iPlayer。
Maybe we should get an iPlayer.
我们稍后再解释那是什么。
We'll get to what that is later.
好的。
Okay.
或者注册一个iPlayer。
Or sign up for iPlayer.
我不觉得它是个实物。
I don't think it's an object.
对吧?
Right?
不是的。
No.
它不是。
It's not.
讽刺剧在1962年随着大卫·弗罗斯特而出现。
Satire came along in 1962 with David Frost.
那就是《那一周》节目。
That was the week that was.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
我只能想到约翰·奥利弗的《上周今夜秀》,光是这个标题本身可能就是一种轻微的致敬。
I can only think that John Oliver's last week tonight with John Oliver is a just the title itself might be a slight nod.
是的。
Yeah.
或者那档节目叫《那一周》。
Or that was the week that was.
我是说,他一直给我一种很英国的感觉,所以我确信他知道那个节目。
I mean, he's always struck me as pretty British, so I'm sure he's aware of that show.
那当然就是伟大的大卫·弗罗斯特。
And that was, of course, the great David Frost.
是吗?
Yeah?
是的。
Yeah.
就是那个让尼克松基本上承认自己是个骗子的人。
The one who got Nixon to basically admit that he was a crook.
是的。
Yeah.
就是那家伙。
That's the dude.
还有一档节目是1977年在CBS播出的。
There's another that was in 1977 on CBS.
我相信BBC当时肯定相当嫉妒。
I'm sure BBC was quite jealous.
哦,是《福斯特对话尼克松》啊,对。
Oh, Frost Nixon, yeah.
或者他们根本不在乎,因为那是尼克松,他是美国人。
Or else they didn't care because it was Nixon, and he's American.
没错。
That's right.
但我们在六十年代末的贝宁山还有《蒙提·派森的飞行马戏团》。
But we also got Monty Python Swine Circus in Benning Hill in the late sixties.
没错。
That's right.
然后还有《远见传奇》,这个我没听说过,但显然它和《唐顿庄园》有不少相似之处,而且他们正准备第三次重启这部剧。
And then also the Foresight saga, which I hadn't heard of, but apparently it has quite a bit of similarity to Downton Abbey, and they're about to reboot it for the third time.
所以我想《唐顿庄园》的粉丝们可以转去看《远见传奇》了。
So I guess Downton Abbey fans can move over to the Foresight saga.
我想那个其实已经播出了。
I think that's already out, actually.
天哪。
Oh my god.
新的那部。
The new one.
真的吗?
Is it really?
是的。
Yeah.
我是说,它从67年就开始播了。
I mean, it's been around since '67.
我想还有一个新的六集系列剧也...也播出了。
I think there's a new six part series that's also that's also out.
不是现在,那可能是在假期期间播出,因为肯定是今年。
Not now, then maybe coming in the holidays because it's definitely this year.
好的。
Okay.
太棒了。
Cool.
是的。
Yeah.
你看过《唐顿庄园》吗?
Are you into Downton Abbey?
我不记得了。
I don't remember.
我超爱《唐顿庄园》。
I love Downton Abbey.
我全都看完了。
I watched it all.
很好。
Good.
是的。
Yeah.
它不会给大脑带来什么负担。
It's it's not taxing on the brain or anything.
它恰恰就是它应有的样子,那种非常容易观看的楼上楼下肥皂剧。
It's just it's exactly what it should be, which is that just real easy to watch upstairs, downstairs soapy drama.
不错。
Nice.
是的。
Yeah.
我喜欢它。
I like it.
好的。
Okay.
然后,在六十年代,也就是1964年,还出现了音乐节目《流行音乐之巅》。
And then also, what came along in the sixties and 1964 was the music show Top of the Pops.
我们之前已经讨论过几次了。
We've talked about that a few times.
你知道的,还记得皇后乐队为了不用在《流行音乐排行榜》上对口型,而制作了《波西米亚狂想曲》的音乐视频吗?
You know, remember Queen made their Bohemian Rhapsody video to get out of having to lip sync on Top of the Pops?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,那是个传奇节目,由我们稍后会谈到的著名烂人吉米·萨维尔主持。
I mean, legendary show, hosted by noted awful person Jimmy Sabille, who we're gonna talk about later.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
For sure.
想象一下,如果我们压根没提他。
Imagine if we just didn't mention him.
没错。
Right.
所以,你刚才说我们正在快速回顾几十年的历程。
So we you said we were blazing through the decades.
我们即将飞速前进,把七十年代和八十年代合并在一起,因为从七十年代末到八十年代初,发生了几件真正重大的事情。
We're about to blaze so fast we're gonna combine the seventies and eighties together, because a couple of really big things happened in well, starting in the late seventies and early eighties.
第一件事是1979年,《地球上的生命》首播,那是大卫·爱登堡第一部真正宏大、具有里程碑意义的野生动物纪录片系列。
The first thing was 1979, when Life on Earth premiered, and that is David Attenborough's first really big, massive wildlife documentary series.
它花了三年时间制作。
It took three years to make.
他们去了超过一百个地点。
They went to over a 100 locations.
它的制作成本高达一百万英镑,我当时就想,哇,那肯定是一大笔钱。
It had a £1,000,000 price tag, and I was like, wow, that's gotta be a lot.
按今天的价值算,那才五百万英镑。
That's only £5,000,000 today.
所以想象一下,仅用区区五百万英镑就能获得这部开创性的系列片。
So imagine getting this groundbreaking series for a mere £5,000,000.
这真是笔划算的交易。
That's quite a deal.
但这东西彻底改变了野生动物纪录片。
But this this thing just completely changed wildlife documentaries.
你现在看到的每一部野生动物纪录片,其风格都可以追溯到《地球上的生命》。
Every every wildlife documentary you see traces itself in its style back to life on Earth.
是的。
Yeah.
完全正确。
100%.
你知道,我们没法详细讨论所有这些节目,我知道大家可能会问,那《一脚踏进坟墓》呢?还有我最爱的剧集呢?
You know, we can't go over all these shows, and I know people are gonna be like, what about One Foot in the Grave and on the and my favorite show?
但我们得提一下我的最爱,其中之一就是《弗尔蒂旅馆》。
But we should mention my favorites, one of which was Fawlty Towers.
那是另一个——在我大学毕业后,和我的英国朋友住在新泽西时看的。
That was another that post college when I was living in New Jersey with my British friend Mhmm.
大学毕业后,他向我介绍了《弗尔蒂旅馆》和《黑爵士》。
From college, he introduced me to Fawlty Towers and The Blackadder.
它们绝对是有史以来最棒的几部剧集之一。
And they were just a couple of the best shows ever.
我的意思是,那是我以前从未见过的喜剧类型,真的非常非常精彩。
I mean, was comedy that I hadn't seen before and just really, really great stuff.
是的。
Yeah.
不知为何,我在看《飞行马戏团》之前,就先接触到了《弗尔蒂旅馆》。
For some reason, I got introduced to Fawlty Towers before I ever watched Flying Circus too.
所以我当时就想,哦,原来他是《弗尔蒂旅馆》里的那个家伙。
So I was like, oh, that's the guy from Fawlty Towers.
哦,真的吗?
Oh, really?
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
哦,那挺有意思的。
Oh, that's funny.
你还提到了Goon Squad。
And you mentioned the Goon Squad.
我记得我们在做一期关于蒙提·派森的节目时讨论过他们。
I remember we talked about them when we did an episode on, I guess, Monty Python.
我们到底有没有做过一期关于蒙提·派森的节目?
Did we ever do an episode on Monty Python?
因为它们出现了。
Because they came up.
我们确实看了。
We did.
好的。
Okay.
我想那是我们洛杉矶播客节的一次活动。
I think that was one of our LA Podfests.
是的。
It was.
完全正确。
Totally.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
所以他们深受《Goon Show》的影响。
So they were deeply influenced by the goons the goon show.
是的。
Yeah.
我说的是‘Goon Squad’,对吧?
I said goon squad, didn't I?
是的。
Yeah.
我想我之前说了'goon squad',所以可能是我影响了这个说法。
I think I said goon squad earlier, so I think I probably influenced that.
谢谢。
Thank you.
感谢
Thanks for
是我的错。
It's my fault.
替我挡了那颗手榴弹。
Jumping on that grenade for me.
但那是《Goon Show》,它是最早真正影响后来节目的荒诞喜剧之一,比如《蒙提·派森》。
But it's the Goon Show, and it was one of first absurdist comedies that really influenced shows to come, like Monty Python.
但它只是广播节目,在我看来这让它更具创意。
But it was just on the radio, which makes it even more creative if you ask me.
是的。
Yeah.
太棒了。
Amazing.
斯派克·米利根创造了它,如今它最著名的可能是彼得·塞勒斯在这里开启了职业生涯。
Spike Milligan created it, and it's probably most notable these days for where Peter Sellers got his start.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
他出演了最初的几季——我们称之为季——与哈里·西科姆一起,我认为迈克尔·本廷接替了彼得·塞勒斯的角色。
He was in the first couple of series, what we call seasons, along with Harry Sikom, and I believe Michael Benteen took over Peter Sellers.
正如我所说,有很多节目值得提及,但我们不能不提《东区人》,因为我的前室友贾斯汀经常提到它。
And like I said, there's so many shows to mention, but we can't not mention EastEnders because, my former roommate Justin talked about it a lot.
他来自东伦敦,这部剧是BBC历史上最成功的节目之一。
He was from East London, and it was it's one of the biggest shows in the history of the BBC.
它基本上就像是英国版的《老友记》。
It's basically like the British version of Friends.
是的。
Yeah.
我不知道。
I don't know.
对此我不予置评。
I'm not gonna comment on that.
但那部电视剧过去是,现在也依然是。
But that that was the TV show and still is.
《东区人》现在还在播。
EastEnders is still on.
对吗?
Correct?
我不知道。
I don't know.
是吗?
Is it?
我相当确定是的。
I'm pretty sure it is.
也许不是。
Maybe not.
这让我很惊讶。
It surprised me.
它始于1985年,一推出就大获成功。
It started in 1985 and was a really big hit out of the gate.
而且,你知道,这是那种情节剧。
And it's, you know, it's melodrama.
凯尔指出,它触及了所有那种刻板印象,比如肥皂剧的典型套路。
Kyle points out that it's it hits all the sort of stereotypical, like, soap opera archetypes.
但多年来,他们也像大多数优秀剧集一样,因处理诸如伦敦东区历史上的一些现实问题而获得了一些赞誉。
But they've also, through the years, like, I think most good shows, gotten some some applause for tackling things like like some of the realities of of the East End Of London through history.
是的。
Yeah.
比如艾滋病、失业,这些你并不总能在电视上看到的事情。
Like HIV, unemployment, just stuff that you don't always see on the TV.
从这个意义上说,它确实有点开创性。
It was kinda groundbreaking in that sense.
是的。
Yeah.
因为
For
确实。
sure.
不过,查克,别叫它肥皂剧。
Don't call it a soap opera though, Chuck.
如果你想谈肥皂剧,你得回到广播时代,去找《阿彻一家》,那可是世界上播出时间最长的肥皂剧。
If you wanna go soap operas, you gotta get back to the radio and just find The Archers, which is the world's longest running soap opera.
他们有超过两万集,数量几乎和我们一样多。
They have over 20,000 episodes, so almost as many as we do.
它的背景设定在英格兰乡村。
And it's set out in rural England.
显然,它很棒,或者说它时不时地就很棒。
Apparently, it's great, or it has been from time to time.
所以我从来没听说过它,也从来没听过,但我可能会养成听《阿彻一家》的习惯。
So I've never heard of it and never heard it, but I may pick up Archer's habit.
我不确定是否
I'm not sure if
要收听吗?
Tune in?
对。
Yeah.
或者你也可以直接看FX频道的《间谍亚契》,那部剧很棒。
Or you could just watch Archer instead on FX, because that's great.
基本上是一回事。
It's basically the same thing.
广播剧还在继续播。
The radio was still going on.
你知道,虽然我们聊了很多电视节目,但你提到了《阿彻一家》。
You know, know we're talking a lot about TV, but you mentioned the Archers.
收音机的质量,你知道,如果你听过我们关于AM收音机的那期节目,一切在六七十年代技术上就开始逐渐变好了。
The quality of radios, you know, if you listen to our AM radio episode, everything just kinda started getting better technologically in the sixties and seventies.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
它们变得更加普及,所以能传到更多人耳朵里。
They were more ubiquitous, so it reached more ears.
但是,你知道,这触及了我们很多期节目的内容,因为如果你听过我们关于海盗电台的那期节目,你就会知道海盗电台曾是BBC广播电台一个实实在在的威胁。
But, you know, this touches on a lot of our episodes because if you listen to our pirate radio episode, you'll know that pirate radio was a legitimate threat to the BBC Radio.
卡罗莱纳电台和伦敦电台,它们可不是只有几百个听众那种规模。
Radio Carolina and Radio London, it wasn't just, you know, like a few 100 people listening.
他们播放流行音乐,在六十年代中后期某种程度上主导了那个领域,BBC当时的反应就是,我们必须做得更好。
Like, they were playing popular music and sort of dominating that scene in the mid to late sixties, and the BBC was like, we gotta do better.
是的。
Yeah.
之所以会出现海盗电台,再次说明,是因为运营广播电台在当时是非法的,因为BBC对此拥有垄断权。
The reason why there were pirate radio stations is, again, it was illegal to run a radio station because BBC had the monopoly on it.
所以他们当时就想,嗯,就像你说的,我们需要跟上时代。
So they were like, well, like like you said, we need to keep up.
于是他们在1967年推出了Radio One。
So they launched Radio One in 1967.
显然,它是全世界收听人数最多的广播电台,这绝非偶然,部分原因要归功于皮特·唐和他九十年代主持的《Essential Selection》节目。
Apparently, it's the most listened to radio station in the entire world for no small reason in part to Pete Tong and his Essential Selection show that ran in the nineties.
你听过那个吗?
Did you ever listen to that?
我知道这个名字,但我不确定我是否听过
I know the name, but I don't I don't know if I ever listened
那个节目。
to that.
他主持过一些DJ现场表演。
There's like DJ sets that he hosted.
那些节目真的很棒。
They were really good.
那是个很棒的节目。
It was a good show.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,他们最终在五年后的1972年通过立法,允许商业电台的存在,从而结束了广播领域的垄断。
Well, they eventually would end that monopoly five years later in 1972 on the radio when they passed legislation that commercial radio could be a thing.
那时候,伦敦广播公司(LBC)嗯。
And that's when the LBC, the London Broadcasting Company Mhmm.
是第一个以非海盗电台身份登上合法电波的。
Was the first one to hit the legitimate airwaves as not pirate radio.
而且,你知道,七八十年代发展得还算顺利,但真正爆发的是九十年代,地方独立电台那时候超级火起来,是的。
And apparently, it was you know, things moved along okay through the seventies and eighties, but it was really the nineteen nineties where local independent radio like super took off over Yeah.
我想到了那个时候,也就是1995年,BBC的听众规模首次被一些竞争对手超越了。
I think by that time, by 1995, the BBC had a smaller audience than some of its competitors for the very first time.
是的。
Yeah.
但BBC还是坚持了下来。
But the BBC plodded along.
别为他们感到难过,我们接下来会看到。
Don't feel bad for them, as we'll see.
他们知道如何重新振作起来,拍拍灰尘然后说,BBC接下来要做什么?
They know how to pick themselves up and dust themselves off and say, what's next for the BBC?
我们休息一下,回来再继续,看看接下来有什么内容,查克。
Say we take a break and we come back and find out what's next, Chuck.
好的,我们开始吧。
Let's do it.
2023年,一则新闻震惊了英国,引发了人们的恐惧与难以置信。
In 2023, a story gripped The UK, evoking horror and disbelief.
这位本该负责照顾幼小婴儿的护士,如今却成了英国现代史上杀害儿童最多的凶手。
The nurse who should have been in charge of caring for tiny babies is now the most prolific child killer in modern British history.
每个人都以为他们知道结局如何。
Everyone thought they knew how it ended.
一个判决,一个罪犯,一名叫露西·莱特比的护士。
A verdict, a villain, a nurse named Lucy Letby.
露西·莱特比已被判有罪。
Lucy Letby has been found guilty.
但如果我们没有听到完整的故事呢?
But what if we didn't get the whole story?
一旦你看到整个画面,这个案子就会崩塌。
The moment you look at the whole picture, the case collapses.
我是阿曼达·诺克斯。
I'm Amanda Knox.
在新的播客《怀疑》中,关于露西·莱特比的案件,我们将追踪证据,倾听亲历者的声音,探究当世界决定露西·莱特比是谁时,究竟发生了什么。
And in the new podcast, Doubt, the case of Lucy Letby, we follow the evidence and hear from the people that lived it to ask what really happened when the world decided who Lucy Letby was.
没有任何质疑或怀疑的表达。
No voicing of any skepticism or doubt.
这将在每一个层面造成巨大的伤害
It'll cause so much harm at every single level
英国体制的根基都错了。
of the British establishment that this is wrong.
请在iHeartRadio应用、Apple播客或任何你获取播客的地方收听《疑点:露西·莱比案》。
Listen to doubt, the case of Lucy Letby on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
你好。
Hi.
我是乔·温特斯坦,《灵性女儿》播客的主持人,我们在这里探讨占星学、出生星盘,以及如何活出最精彩的人生。
This is Jo Winterstein, host of the spirit daughter podcast, where we talk about astrology, natal charts, and how to step into your most vibrant life.
我刚刚和米妮·德赖弗坐下来聊了聊。
And I just sat down with a mini driver.
那位爱尔兰旅行者在我16岁时说,你会在感情方面经历一段非常艰难的时期。
The Irish traveler said when I was 16, you're gonna have a terrible time with men.
演员、故事讲述者,以及一位毫不掩饰的水瓶座梦想家。
Actor, storyteller, and and unapologetic Aquarian visionary.
水瓶座的核心特质是热爱自由和拥有不同的视角。
Aquarius is all about freedom loving and different perspectives.
我发现很多水瓶座特质突出的人,比如,常常被误解。
And I find a lot of people with strong placements in Aquarius, like, are misunderstood.
她第七宫的水瓶座太阳和金星,点燃了她对伴侣关系的非传统态度
A sun and Venus in Aquarius in her seventh house spark her unconventional approach
。
to partnership.
他确实教会了我去接纳人们睡在不同的房间、不同的房子、不同的地方,而是全然接纳这种存在的本质。
He really has taught me to embrace people sleeping in different rooms, on different houses, in different places, but just an embracing of the isness of it all.
如果你正在经历自己的转变,或者只是想从一位顶尖艺术家如何将占星学、创造力和现实生活融合的视角来解读星盘,那么这一集是必听之作。
If you're navigating your own transformation or just want a chart side view into how a leading artist integrates astrology, creativity, and real life, this episode is a must listen.
请于2月24日起,在iHeartRadio应用、Apple播客或任何你收听播客的地方,收听《灵性女儿》播客。
Listen to the spirit daughter podcast starting on February 24 on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast.
中国国家安全部是世界上最神秘且最强大的间谍机构之一。
China's Ministry of State Security is one of the most mysterious and powerful spy agencies in the world.
但在2017年,联邦调查局成功渗透了进去。
But in 2017, the FBI got inside.
我是特别探员雷加尔,这位是特别探员布拉德利·霍尔。
This is special agent Regal, special agent Bradley Hall.
这位国安部官员完全不知道美国政府已经盯上他了,但联邦调查局掌握了他的聊天记录、短信、电子邮件,甚至他的个人日记。
This MSS officer has no idea the US government is on to him, but the FBI has his chats, texts, emails, even his personal diary.
请收听《第六局》播客,了解他们是如何获取这些信息的。
Hear how they got it on the sixth Bureau podcast.
我现在拥有好几TB关于一名国安部官员的资料,毫无疑问,涵盖了他的一生。
I now have several terabytes of an MSS officer, no doubt, no question of his life.
这简直是独角兽般的存在。
And that's a unicorn.
从来没有人见过这样的东西。
No one had ever seen anything like that.
这简直令人难以置信。
It was unbelievable.
这是一个关于国家安全部内部运作的故事,讲述了一个人的野心与失误如何打开了其秘密宝库。
This is a story of the inner workings of the MSS and how one man's ambition and mistakes opened its vault of secrets.
请在iHeartRadio应用、Apple播客或任何你获取播客的地方收听《第六局》。
Listen to the Sixth Bureau on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
好的。
Alright.
我们回来了,我们承诺接下来为BBC带来更多内容。
We're back, and we promise what's next for the BBC.
接下来就是玛格丽特·撒切尔说,我恨你们BBC。
And what was next was Margaret Thatcher saying, I hate you BBC.
是的。
Yeah.
她于1979年当选,我想,她从一开始就对BBC及其特权地位抱有强烈的反感。
She was elected in 1979, had a a strong, I guess, aversion to the BBC and their privileged status right out of the gate.
她信奉自由市场,一心推行自由市场理念。
She wanted she was all about the free market.
她当时的态度是,不行。
She was like, no.
这应该像其他所有事物一样,在自由市场中运作。
This should be in the free market with everyone else.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
社论的观点应该与国家利益保持一致,基本上就是我认为的国家利益。
The the editorial editorializing should align with the national interest of basically what I think is a national interest.
没错。
That's right.
在二十世纪八十年代发生了一系列事件,我想你可以称之为失误,或者只是撒切尔不喜欢的诚实报道。
And there were a number of things that happened in the nineteen eighties that I I guess you could call them either missteps or just honest broadcasting that Thatcher did not like.
是的。
No.
尤其是对福克兰群岛战争或北爱尔兰问题的报道。
Especially the covering the Falklands War or the troubles in Northern Ireland.
他们并非只是那种'去他的北爱尔兰,去他的爱尔兰共和军,或者去他的阿根廷人'的态度。
They weren't just like, screw Northern Ireland, screw the IRA, or screw the Argentinians.
就像你所说,他们报道公正,在某些情况下却被指控为叛国。
Like they, like you said, reported fairly and in some cases were accused of treachery.
显然,彼得·斯诺在《新闻之夜》节目中将入侵福克兰群岛的军队称为'英军'而非'我们的军队',他因此被指控为叛国。
Apparently, Peter Snow on news night called the troops the British when they were invading the Falklands rather than our troops, and he was accused of treachery.
他们曾有一次采访了一名爱尔兰共和军成员,我记得是为了《全景》节目的某一集。
And they once interviewed IRA member for a, I think, a Panorama episode.
是的,据我所知,《全景》有点像《前线》,是一种硬核调查性纪录片节目。
Yeah, Panorama, it's kind of like Frontline from what I can tell, it's like a hard hitting investigative documentary show.
好的。
Okay.
而你根本不能那么做。
And you just couldn't do that.
你不能与爱尔兰共和军对话,不能给他们任何播出时间,不能传播他们的观点,他们在八十年代中期曾试图通过那期《全景》节目这么做,但我想由于政府干预,那些内容从未得以播出。
You couldn't talk to the IRA, you couldn't give them any kind of airtime, you couldn't air their viewpoints, and they tried to in the mid eighties with that panorama episode, but I guess they never saw the light of day because of the government.
是的。
Yeah.
而整个事件最终导致了时任总裁阿拉斯泰尔·米尔恩的下台。
And that whole situation would eventually lead to the ouster of the director general at the time, Alastair Milne.
而且,你知道,我读到的所有关于他的资料都说他工作做得相当不错,但问题是,当时是撒切尔掌权。
And, you know, he was everything I read about him said that he was he was doing a pretty good job, but it was you know, Thatcher was in power.
她想让他下台。
She wanted him out.
然后在1987年,他基本上是被强行排挤出去的。
And in 1987, he was basically kind of strong earned out.
撒切尔夫人,你知道的,她选定的人马默杜克·赫西被安插进来,就是为了让BBC对政府更友好一些。
And Thatcher's, you know, choice person, Marmaduke Hussey, was installed and, you know, just to be more government friendly.
是的。
Yeah.
我最近正好在读关于马默杜克·赫西的资料。
Apparently, was reading about Marmaduke Hussey.
他的讣告中描述他比看起来聪明,但几乎肯定没有他自己认为的那么聪明。
He was described in his obituary as cleverer than he looked, but almost certainly not as clever as he thought.
他还说,当他被任命到BBC时,他对那里太不熟悉了,以至于他和妻子不得不在电话簿里查找地址,看看他该去哪里。
And he had he said that when he was appointed to the BBC, he was so unfamiliar with it that he and his wife had to look up the address in the phone book to see where he should be going.
所以他并不是一个显而易见的选择,而且他显然是撒切尔认为的那种‘这个人会听从我所有要求’的人选。
So he was not like an obvious choice, and he was clearly the choice that that was like, this guy's going to listen to everything I want, thought Thatcher.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,我也读了一些米尔恩后来关于董事会和管理层的言论。
Well, and I read some about what Milne talked of, like, kind of the board after that and the the management after that.
他说,那不过是一群业余人士,根本不知道自己在做什么。
And he was like, it's just it's a bunch of amateurs, people that don't know what they're doing.
除了他们是撒切尔的亲信这一事实外,他们根本不胜任这份工作。
Like, beyond the fact that they're just cronies for Thatcher, like, they're not good at this job.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
显然,这位赫西先生当时已因几乎搞垮《每日邮报》,接着又差点搞垮《每日电讯报》而闻名。
Apparently, he Hussie was known to this point for having almost run the Daily Mail into the ground and then almost run the the telegraph into the ground too.
所以,正如我所说,他显然不是一个合适的人选。
So he was definitely not an obvious choice, like I said.
对。
Yeah.
快进很多年,实际上。
Fast forward a lot, actually.
如果你想一直追溯到二十一世纪的托尼·布莱尔时期,他们那个时代最早的重大争议之一就是伊拉克档案事件。
If you wanna go all the way up to Tony Blair in the twenty first century, one of their big first sort of controversies of that era was the Iraq dossier.
2003年5月,一位名叫安德鲁·吉里根的国防记者在第四电台上声称,伊拉克大规模杀伤性武器档案被——引用原话——'添油加醋'了,这一点如今已被公认为事实。
In May 2003, there was a defense correspondent named Andrew Gilligan who got on Radio four and alleged that the Iraq WMD dossier had been, quote, sexed up, something that everyone understands as being the truth now.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
布莱尔的新闻主管艾利斯特·坎贝尔予以反击,BBC与政府之间爆发了一场重大争端。
And Blair's press chief Alistair Campbell went on the counter, and a big feud sort of erupted between the BBC and the government.
当时的总干事格雷格·戴克也被迫离职——虽然名义上是辞职,但显然是被施压的结果。
And director general there, Greg Dyke, was, well, I guess he was sacked as well while he resigned, but kind of another strong-arm.
是的。
Yeah.
这是一件非常、非常重大的事情。
That was a huge, huge deal.
这一切中最令人震惊的一点是,安德鲁·吉里根的消息来源是一位名叫大卫·凯利的联合国武器专家。
And one of the most, shocking things that came out of all of this is that, Andrew Gilligan's source on this matter was a guy named David Kelly who was a UN weapons expert.
他确实非常了解这个领域,但在此之前一直是个匿名举报人。
So he really knew what he was talking about, but he had been an anonymous whistleblower up to this point.
不知怎的,他的身份被泄露了,原来他正是这一重大政府争议的爆料者——该争议指出英国伪造了所有帮助美国入侵伊拉克的证据,而大卫·凯利后来被发现死在自家附近的树林里,据称是自杀。
It leaked out somehow that he was the source for this huge government controversy that basically said The UK faked all of the stuff that helped America invade Iraq, and David Kelly was found dead, apparently by suicide, in the woods by his house.
是的。
Yeah.
这也非常令人难过。
It's very sad too.
据说,有一些人认为,他并不是自杀的。
Apparently, there's a certain amount of people who are like, I don't think he took his life.
是的。
Yeah.
我一看到这个消息,就觉得我知道了。
As soon as I read that, was like, I know.
据说当时进行了一项调查,政府被证明没有不当行为,但你知道的。
I mean, there was an investigation apparently, and the government was cleared of wrongdoing, but, you know.
是的。
Yeah.
但如果你仔细想想,这会显得非常报复心重。
But I mean, that'd be pretty vindictive if you think about it.
我的意思是,我完全可以相信政府为了阻止他公开这些信息而杀了他,但为了报复而这么做,似乎更让人难以接受。
Like, I can really buy the government killing this guy to silence him before he can share this information, but to do it in retribution seems even Yeah.
哇。
Wow.
是的。
Yeah.
当然。
For sure.
到了九十年代末,数字革命来临了。
The late nineties come along, and the digital revolution is upon us.
当时总干事约翰·伯特创办了BBC在线。
And, director general at that time, John Burt, started BBC Online.
他去过美国,意识到那才是未来。
He had visited The States and kinda realized that that was the future.
它迅速发展起来。
And it really took off.
当时,他们只是拥有一系列零散的网页。
They had, at the time, just sort of a piecemeal network of web pages.
1997年,他们通过BBC在线网站报道大选,真正认真地启动了这项业务。
And in 1997, they really kicked it off in earnest with BBC online with the general election.
戴安娜王妃去世后,首次建立了一个滚动新闻网站,显然访问量非常巨大。
And a rolling news website for the first time was established after the death of princess Diana, so it was hotly trafficked, obviously.
是的。
Yeah.
显然,有1900万人观看了她的葬礼,这是他们历史上规模最大的一次广播。
Apparently, 19,000,000 people watched her funeral, the largest ever broadcast for them.
这件事带来的成果之一,而且这想法在当时真的很超前,我们说的是1997年,他们当时就想,我们要投入大量资金来建立我们的网络形象。
And one of the things that came out of this, and again, this was really forward thinking, we're talking 1997, and they're like, we're gonna put a substantial amount of money in creating our web presence.
由此诞生的成果之一就是你提到的iPlayer,是的。
One of the things that came out of it was that iPlayer you were mentioning, Yeah.
没错。
Yeah.
它于2007年推出,最初的功能就像是问:'你这周错过《东区人》了吗?'
Which was launched in 2007, and initially it was like, did you miss EastEnders this week?
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。