本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
这是一档iHeart播客节目。
This is an iHeart podcast.
嘿,你好。
Hey there.
医生。
Doctor.
我是杰西·米尔斯。
Jesse Mills here.
我是加州大学洛杉矶分校男性诊所的主任,我想向大家介绍我的新播客《收发室》。
I'm the director of the men's clinic at UCLA, and I wanna tell you about my new podcast called The Mailroom.
我是乔丹,这档节目的制作人。
And I'm Jordan, the show's producer.
和大多数男性一样,我也很久没去看医生了。
And like most guys, I haven't been to the doctor in way too long.
我会提出那些我们本该问却一直没问的问题。
I'll be asking the questions we probably should be asking but aren't.
每周我们都会解析男性健康领域的话题,从睾酮与健身到饮食与生育能力。
Every week, we're breaking down the world of men's health from testosterone and fitness to diets and fertility.
我们将用通俗语言探讨科学,为你真正好奇的问题提供真实答案。欢迎在iHeartRadio应用、Apple播客或你喜爱的播客平台收听《收发室》。
We'll talk science without the jargon and get you real answers to the stuff you actually wonder So check out the mailroom on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your favorite shows.
在iHeartRadio《文化达人》全新一集中,艾美奖、金球奖和托尼奖得主莎拉·保罗森揭秘红毯造型秘诀。
On an all new episode of iHeartRadio's Los Culturistas, Emmy, Golden Globe, and Tony award winner Sarah Paulson spills on red carpet hacks.
我们看到这些照片时就在想,这背后有什么故事?
We saw these pictures, and we like, what is the story with this?
她坦诚分享了自己角色背后的灵感来源。
She gets real about the inspiration behind her roles.
哦,不。
Oh, no.
人们的行为总是没有底线。
There is no end to how people will behave.
她还点名提醒主持人马特·罗杰斯和杨博恩。
And she puts hosts Matt Rodgers and Boen Yang on notice.
我可不这么认为,亲爱的。
I don't think so, honey.
这让我感到非常、非常不安。
I feel very, very triggered by this.
打开你的免费iHeartRadio应用。
Open your free iHeartRadio app.
搜索Los Culturista,立即收听完整播客。
Search Los Culturista, and listen to the full podcast now.
嘿,欢迎收听《短资讯》。
Hey, and welcome to the Short Stuff.
我是乔什,这位是查克。
I'm Josh, and there's Chuck.
今天就只需要介绍这些,因为只有我们俩,所以这是《短资讯》。
And that's all that needs mentioning today because it's just us, so this is Short Stuff.
没错。
That's right.
顺便说一句,我想感谢你送来那束倒置摆放、丝带向左、由枯萎白玫瑰组成的美丽小花束。
And by the way, I wanted to thank you for sending over that beautiful nosegay of wilted white roses delivered upside down with a ribbon to the left.
那么,我能问问你把它戴在胸前的哪个位置吗?
Well, may I ask where on your chest are you wearing it?
靠近我的紧身胸衣。
Near my bodice.
在正中间吗?
In the center?
还是
Or
就在正中间,宝贝。
Right in the center, baby.
哦,好吧,我想既然我们是好朋友,那我也可以接受。
Oh, well, I guess we're good friends, then I can live with that.
虽然我不太确定自己说这些话到底想表达什么。
Although, I'm not sure what I was saying with the whole thing.
这有点
It's kinda
是啊。
Yeah.
我得去查查
I'd have to get out
密码解码书之类的。
a code decoder book or whatever.
嗯,他们确实有那些,查克。
Well, they had those, Chuck.
我们讨论的是花语学,当时有很多关于花语学的书籍,因为在维多利亚和摄政时期,荧光成像技术曾风靡一时。
What we're talking about is florography, and there were a lot of florography books because it turns out fluorography was a huge deal in the Victorian and Regency areas.
我想在19世纪和20世纪之交的几十年间,也就是这两个世纪的缓冲地带,用鲜花传递无声信息确实非常流行。
I guess between couple of decades on either side of the nineteenth and twentieth century divide, the DMZ of those centuries as it were, this was it was really popular to send unspoken messages using flowers.
没错。
That's right.
之所以是无声的,因为在当时的英国、美国部分地区,当然还有欧洲某些上流社会,很多时候这些事情是不能公开说出口的。
Unspoken because at the time in The UK, The and parts of The US, obviously, in Europe, in certain, you know, high societies mainly, you could not speak these things aloud a lot of times.
那是不合时宜的。
It was untoward.
所以你们必须用密码般的方式交流。
So you had to have a coded way of talking to each other.
如果你在想,哦,是的。
And if you're thinking like, oh, yeah.
你送花给某人,那是有特殊含义的。
You send flowers to someone and that means something.
是啊。
Yeah.
这里面门道很深。
It goes deep.
我的意思是,这确实是一种密码,这就是我之前提到的关于倒置、枯萎和嗯哼那些手势的含义。
I mean, it is literally a code, and that's what I was kind of referring to with the upside down and the wilted and the Mhmm.
在丝带系结之处。
Where the ribbon's tied.
就像,所有这些都有其含义。
Like, all that stuff means something.
确实如此。
It does.
没错。
Yeah.
这相当深奥,你可以传递非常复杂的信息,我们会展示我们正在讨论的内容。
It is quite deep, and you can send quite complex messages, and we'll kinda show what we're talking about.
但首先,我要感谢一些内容。
But first, I wanna shout out some great sources that helped with this.
但首先,我要感谢一些提供了帮助的优秀资源。
Farmers Almanac, the Iowa State University Extension, Petal Republic, it's a great name, author Sarah on Substack, Clive Clive Rose, Georgina Garden Center, ThursDee, just the d
嗯哼。
Uh-huh.
50000000,以及历史悠久的Holly都对此有所贡献。
Flower Meaning, and Historical Holly all helped with this.
所以感谢你们所有人。
So thanks to all of you.
是的。
Yeah.
那太棒了。
That's wonderful.
所以这并非新鲜事,或者说在当时也并非新事物。
So this is nothing new or was nothing new back then.
通过花朵传递密码信息至少可以追溯到17世纪的奥斯曼帝国,当时有一种名为'Selam'(拼写为s e l a m)的传统,这是君士坦丁堡后宫中妃嫔们之间的一种游戏,她们会附上押韵诗句和寓意来互赠花朵,以此传递信息。
Coded messages through flowers goes back to the sixteen hundreds, at least, in the Ottoman Empire when they had a tradition called Selam or Selam, s e l a m, which was a game where between the the members of the harem of Constantinople, where they would send flowers attached with, like, rhymes and meanings and stuff like that to communicate with one another.
是啊。
Yeah.
这很合理,因为她们大多不识字,花朵便成了她们的代言人。
Which made sense because a lot of them couldn't read or write, so flowers did the talking for them.
这个习俗实际上是通过一个人从奥斯曼帝国传到欧洲的——一位嫁给英国驻土耳其大使的英国贵族夫人。
And this actually spread from the Ottoman Empire to Europe via one single person, a British aristocrat who is married to the the British ambassador to Turkey.
她名叫玛丽·沃特利夫人,经常给亲友写信描述她移居的这个国度里各种新奇异域的风俗。
Her name was Lady Mary Wortley, and she would send back letters to friends and family describing all of the new and exotic customs of this land that she had moved to.
她迁居到君士坦丁堡后,在信中描述了这种名为'Selam'(或Selam Selam)的习俗。
She moved to Constantinople, And among them was a description of Selam or Selam Selam.
你刚才是怎么念这个词的?
Which how did you say it?
我说的是'Selam'或'Selam'。
I said Selam or Selam.
我不确定是发长音还是短音。
I'm not sure if it's a long or shorty.
后宫女官们发明的这套花语密码,
Well, the flower code that the harem workers had come up with.
她写信提及此事后,有人读到信件大加赞赏说:这太棒了。
She wrote a letter about that, and somebody got it and said, this is great.
我想告诉英国的所有人这件事。
I wanna tell everybody in The UK about it.
没错。
That's right.
顺便说一句,我在'保罗·班扬行动'那集里提到了几个双关语。
And by the way, I mentioned a couple of puns in the Operation Paul Bunyan episode.
你想到的是哪一个?
Which one were you thinking?
因为你说你记得一个。
Because you said you remembered one.
是那个'代码追溯'吗?
The the code stems back?
对。
Yeah.
那是一个。
That was one.
就是那个
That's the
我只能想到这一个。
only one I can think of.
呃,不是。
Well, no.
还有另一个。
Here's the other one.
植物学是个不断发展的领域。
Botany was a growing field.
哦,我怎么会没注意到呢?
Oh, how did I miss that?
我不知道。
My I don't know.
双关检测器被泥土糊住了。
Pun sensor is covered with dirt.
呃,不是的。
Well, no.
那很好。
That's good.
你你想往那东西上糊点泥巴。
You you wanna pack some mud on that thing.
我知道。
I know.
但我不喜欢对事情视而不见。
But I don't like walking past stuff.
我喜欢参与其中,是的。
I like to to take part Yeah.
要融入这个群体。
To be involved in the mix.
所以说植物学是个不断发展的领域。
So botany was a growing field.
正如我所说,花语学在某些阶层中流行,主要是上流社会的女性,因为你知道,这不是那种可以在那个阶层公开讨论的事情。
And floreography was, like I said, among certain classes, you know, mainly upper class women because, you know, it wasn't like the kind of thing that you could really talk about openly in that class.
今天还没见到艾米丽,因为她一早就出门了,但我想问她,因为你知道,很多X世代女性都痴迷简·奥斯汀的作品,《理智与情感》之类的系列电影和书籍。
And this is one thing I haven't seen Emily yet today because she got out of the house early, but I wanted to ask her because she's, you know, like a lot of Gen X women are obsessed with Jane Austen stuff and Sense and Sensibility and all those series and movies and books.
我在想她是否知道这些,或者她们是否看过,因为我从没看过任何一部。
And I wondered if she knew about this or if they those because I've never watched any them.
如果它们有某种暗示,比如他这样送花,就代表这个意思。
If they were kinda pointed stuff out, like, oh, he sent the flowers this way, and that means this.
但那是勃朗特姐妹和简·奥斯汀常用的手法,她们用花语来塑造角色,我猜...
But that's I mean, that's the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen used a lot of florography to kinda develop their characters, which I guess
所以她们确实这么做了。
So I guess they did.
是的。
Yeah.
她们绝对这么做了。
They they definitely did.
当时的读者可能能领会这点,但花语学现在已经变得非常晦涩难懂,现代读者根本注意不到。
And the readers at the time probably would have picked up on this, but florography is it's become so arcane and obscure that modern readers would not pick up on it.
但如果你了解花语学再去读简·奥斯汀,显然会发现它的存在。
But if you learn about florography and you start reading Jane Austen, apparently, it'll show up.
哦,不,不是的。
Oh, well, no.
这正是我想知道的。
That's what I was wondering.
如果在书里,他们会写,哦,发了个倒置的东西,意味着巴拉巴拉。
If in the books, they said like, oh, well, sent an upside down thing, which means blah blah blah.
是的。
Yes.
对。
Yeah.
他们会这么做的。
They would they would do that.
我找到了简·奥斯汀《傲慢与偏见》里的一句话。
I found a quote from Pride and Prejudice from Jane Austen.
哦,你能用角色语气读出来吗?
Oh, can you read it in character?
嗯,是旁白。
Well, it's the narrator.
非常确定。
So sure.
我想我不行,因为旁白听起来和我一模一样。
I guess I can't because the narrator sounds exactly like me.
是的。
Yeah.
但伊丽莎白·班纳特正在给达西先生送花,旁白描述道,她送了一朵红玫瑰向他表达爱意。
But Elizabeth Bennett is giving a flower to mister Darcy, and the the narrator describes, she gave a red rose to tell him that she loved him.
红玫瑰。
Red rose.
红 红 红 红 玫瑰 玫瑰 玫瑰 玫瑰。
Red red red red rose rose rose rose.
红 红 玫瑰 红 玫瑰 红 玫瑰 红 红 红 红 红。
Red red rose red rose red rose red red red red red.
我记得在第一版里,“红”这个字整整重复了三页才结束,然后新章节就开始了。
Then in the, I think, the first edition, the word red is just repeated over and over for three pages before it just stops and a new chapter starts.
太刺激了。
That's so hot.
是啊。
Yeah.
好吧。
Alright.
我得去冷静一下。
I need to go cool down.
我们要不要休息一下?
Should we take a break?
好啊。
Yeah.
我也这么想。
I think so.
嗯。
Yeah.
行吧。
Alright.
我们稍后会回来详细解释这些编码花朵的含义。
We'll come back and tell you about a lot of this what these coded flowers mean right after this.
如果你想知道,那你可走运了。
If you wanna know, then you're in luck.
只要听乔什和查克说就行。
Just listen up to Josh and Chuck.
你应该知道的事。
Stuff you should know.
在
On the
播客《健康那些事》中,我们将解答所有让你夜不能寐的健康问题。
podcast Health Stuff, we are tackling all the health questions that keep you up at night.
是的。
Yes.
我是
I'm Doctor.
普里扬卡·沃利医生,一位拥有双重认证的医师。
Priyanka Wally, a double board certified physician.
我是哈里·昆达博洛,一名喜剧演员,曾经在凌晨3点谷歌搜索‘我是不是得了坏血病?’
And I'm Hari Kundabolu, a comedian and someone who once Googled, Do I have scurvy at 3AM?
在《健康那些事》中,我们以不同的方式探讨健康话题。
On Health Stuff, we're talking about health in a different way.
这不仅关乎我们能做些什么来改善健康。
It's not only about what we can do to improve our health.
还有我们的健康状况所反映出的生活方式问题。
But also what our health says about us and the way we're living.
比如我们探讨糖尿病的那期节目。
Like our episode where we look at diabetes.
在美国,我是说,50%的美国人都处于糖尿病前期。
In The United States, I mean, fifty percent of Americans are prediabetic.
二型糖尿病有多大的可预防性?
How preventable is type two?
非常高。
Extremely.
或者我们对芒果神奇之处的深度分析。
Or our in-depth analysis of how incredible mangoes are.
哦,很难向世界其他地方解释,你们觉得自己的芒果还不错,但其实你们根本不知道真正的芒果有多棒。
Oh, it's hard to explain to rest of the world that you like, your mangoes are fine because mangoes are incredible, but, like, you don't even know.
你们不知道。
You don't know.
你们不知道。
You don't know.
这将是一段有趣的旅程,敬请收听。
It's going to be a fun ride, so tune in.
在iHeartRadio应用、苹果播客或任何你获取播客的平台收听健康话题。
Listen to health stuff on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
我是罗伯特·史密斯。
I'm Robert Smith.
而这个
And this
是雅各布·戈德斯坦,
is Jacob Goldstein,
我们曾主持过一档名为《金钱星球》的节目。
and we used to host a show called Planet Money.
现在我们回归制作这档名为《商业历史》的新播客,讲述历史上最伟大的创意、人物和企业。
And now we're back making this new podcast called Business History about the best ideas and people and businesses in history.
也包括商业史上最恶劣的人物、糟糕的创意和具有破坏性的公司。
And some of the worst people, horrible ideas, and destructive companies in the history of business.
天才创意若无人需要就毫无价值。
Having a genius idea without a need for it is nothing.
就像根本不存在一样。
It's like not having it at all.
这是个
It's a
非常简洁优雅的教训。
very simple, elegant lesson.
制造人们需要的东西。
Make something people want.
首期节目:西南航空如何用廉价机票和免费威士忌在航空业杀出一条血路。
First episode, how Southwest Airlines used cheap seats and free whiskey to fight its way into the airline business.
最具德州特色的故事。
The most Texas story ever.
那个故事里有很多特立独行的人。
There's a lot of mavericks in that story.
我们节目里会有很多特立独行者。
We're gonna have mavericks on the show.
我们还会讲到不少强盗大亨。
We're gonna have plenty of robber barons.
这么多强盗大亨啊。
So many robber barons.
而你
And you
知道吗?
know what?
他们并不都是坏人。
They're not all bad.
我们将讨论一些著名商业天才的经典伟大时刻,同时也会提及那些常被忽视的黑暗时刻,比如托马斯·爱迪生与电椅的故事。
And we'll talk about some of the classic great moments of famous business geniuses along with some the darker moments that often get overlooked, like Thomas Edison and the electric chair.
请在iHeartRadio应用、苹果播客或你获取播客的任何平台收听《商业历史》。
Listen to business history on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
所以查克,你提到我送过你一束花束。
So, Chuck, you mentioned that I gave you a nosegay.
花束的另一种美妙说法叫‘芳香花束’。
Another great word for a nosegay is a tussie mussey.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
维多利亚时代的花卉符号学与花束和花环同时流行起来,它们实际上是一种小巧紧凑的花束,几乎可以像胸花或手腕花那样佩戴。
And florography in the Victorian age started to get popular at the same time that tussie musseys and nosegays were popular too, and they're really kind of small, short, tightly bound bouquets that you would kind of wear almost as like a boutonniere or a corsage.
这些花束由鲜花和香草制成。
And they were made of flowers and herbs.
所以不仅是花朵,香草也有各自的象征意义。
So not just flowers, but herbs had their own meanings too.
比如迷迭香代表纪念,薄荷象征清醒。
So, like, rosemary was for remembrance, and mint was for clarity.
甚至连苔藓都有特定含义,代表慈善或母爱。
Moss even had its own meaning, charity or maternal love.
再加朵紫罗兰可能象征谦逊。
Throw a violet in there maybe for modesty.
如果你把这些都放进小花束里送给某人,就相当于在说:'我谦逊地请求你清楚地记住我,带着慈善或母爱,任君选择'。
If you put all those together in the little tussy musty and gave it to somebody, you would be saying something like, I modestly ask you to clearly remember me with either charity or maternal love, your pick.
嗯。
Yeah.
这会是个非常令人困惑的信息。
Which would be a very confusing message.
确实如此。
It would be.
这得请弗洛伊德医生来解读了。
Paging doctor Freud on that one.
当然。
For sure.
很明显,你知道,花的种类很重要。
So the obviously, you know, the type of flower is gonna matter.
花的颜色也很重要。
The color of the flower is gonna matter.
嗯。
Mhmm.
可以传递很多信息。
Many messages could be sent.
如果你想表达拒绝或失望,可以送黄色康乃馨或黄玫瑰。
If you wanted to send a message of rejection or disappointment, it could be a yellow carnation or a yellow rose.
但如果你送黄色百合,那表示你欣喜若狂、飘飘欲仙。
But if you send a yellow lily, that means that you're just sort of over the moon and walking on air.
是的。
Yeah.
显然,红玫瑰代表我爱你。
Obviously, the red rose is gonna mean I love you.
白玫瑰象征纯洁。
A white rose is purity.
黄玫瑰代表失去的爱情,深红色玫瑰用于哀悼。
A yellow rose is loss of love, and a crimson rose is for mourning with m o u r.
对。
Right.
我是说,这还只是浅尝辄止,仅仅是不同种类玫瑰的颜色,或者说不同颜色的玫瑰。
And I mean, like, that is just skimming the surface, just the color of of different types of roses, right, or different color roses.
花朵的状态也非常重要。
The state that the flowers in mattered a lot too.
我记得你提到过,我送你的花束里有一朵枯萎的玫瑰。
You made mention, I think, of a withered rose in the tussy musky I gave you.
如果你送给某人一朵普通的白玫瑰,可能是在表达‘我觉得你如天使般纯洁’。
If you gave somebody just a plain white rose, you could be saying like, I think you're heavenly.
你非常纯净,我很喜欢这一点。
You're very pure, and I like that.
但如果那朵白玫瑰是枯萎的,你就是在告诉他们,他们对你毫无吸引力,或者你认为他们的美丽转瞬即逝。
But if the white rose was withered, you were telling them that they made no impression on you whatsoever, or that you think their beauty is fleeting.
所以请记住这一点。
So remember that.
然后如果它已经枯萎了,你刚才说,宁愿死也不愿屈服于你的追求,因为我在乎我的贞操。
And then if it was dried, you were saying, would rather die than to give in to your advances because I care about my virtue.
我相信你可能会这样想,比如,如果你送别人一朵枯萎的玫瑰木,你会说,这是干枯的还是枯萎的?
And I'm sure you could be like, you know, if you gave somebody a withered rosewood, you'd be like, what is this dried or withered?
你想表达什么意思?
What are you trying to say here?
我我不知道有多少多少是取决于观者的眼光?
I I don't know how much much was like in the beholder's eye?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
我是说,翻译很重要,我们马上就会讲到这个。
I mean, translation is important and, you know, we'll get to that here in a sec.
但无刺玫瑰意味着一见钟情。
But a thornless rose means you've fallen in love at first sight.
无刺红玫瑰意味着哀悼,因为记得今早的红玫瑰,但你哀悼的是一段无果的一见钟情。
A thornless crimson rose means you're mourning, because remember crimson rose this morning, but you're mourning an unrequited love at first sight.
对。
Right.
而且,上下文真的很重要。
And also, the context really matters.
就像,你显然多少知道你们之间发生了什么。
Like, you know, you you obviously kinda know what's going on between you.
当你收到这些时,或者说你在寻求明确答案时,你知道,根据你自己的背景,这里已经有某种既定的情况在发生。
It's when you're getting these or, you know, you're you're seeking clarity, you you know, there's an established thing kind of happening here for your own context.
所以如果你收到绣球花,可以是在感谢对方的理解
So if you get a hydrangea, it can be thanking the receiver for understanding
嗯。
Mhmm.
或者你认为他们冷漠无情。
Or that you think they're frigid and heartless.
对。
Right.
所以你真的需要对这段关系的整体氛围有所把握。
So you really gotta kinda have a a read on the general air of the relationship.
是啊。
Yeah.
就像矮牵牛花也一样。
Same with, like, petunias.
你可以说你在安慰我,也可以说我在怨恨你。
You could be saying, you soothe me or I resent you.
所以语境绝对很重要,但绣球花、牡丹和几乎所有花朵都有多重含义的原因,并不是因为我们需要让它们承担双重职责——好像我们缺少足够的花卉和颜色似的。
So the context definitely mattered, but the reason why, like, hydrangeas and peonies and almost all of the flowers had multiple meanings was not because they needed to pull double duty because we didn't have enough flowers and enough colors.
如果把所有这些组合起来,你会得到一个令人难以置信的数字。
Like, if you put all those together, you have a mind boggling number of combinations.
所以并不是那样。
So that wasn't it.
它们具有多重含义的原因是有很多很多不同的花语书籍,而且本质上,其中很多书只是给不同的花赋予了不同的含义。
The reason they had multiple meanings was because there were many, many different floreography books, and essentially, a lot of them just assigned different meanings to different flowers.
是啊。
Yeah.
所以当你送花给别人时,尤其是在缺乏足够语境的情况下,你只能希望你们参考的是同一本花语书。
So when you gave somebody flowers, especially if there wasn't a lot of context yet, you were just hoping that you guys were working from the same book.
是啊。
Yeah.
我是说,这这太重要了。
I mean, that's that's huge.
我认为仅在美国,从1827年到1923年间流通的花语指南就有98种不同的版本。
I think there were 98 different guides just in The United States alone that were circulating from 1827 to 1923.
一点帮助都没有。
Not helpful at all.
不。
No.
然后,你知道,我还提到它们是被倒着展示的。
And then, you know, I also mentioned that they were presented upside down.
那也很重要。
That also matters.
如果它们是倒着的,那基本上就是在说今天是相反日。
If they are upside down, that's the I'd it basically says it's opposite day.
对。
Right.
所以我猜你可能是想制造些混淆,比如如果妈妈看到这些花,但妈妈应该也知道相反日吧。
So I guess you're trying to sort of maybe confuse if, like, if mom is looking on and sees these flowers, but it would seem like mom would know about opposite day too.
所以我不太确定,你知道,他们为什么要这么做。
So I'm not really sure, you know, why they would do that.
也许是为了转移某人的注意力。
Maybe to throw somebody off the scent.
谁知道呢?
Who knows?
丝带的系法也很重要。
How the ribbon was tied also matters.
系在左边,象征意义就落在了送礼人身上。
Tied to the left, it's the symbolism is applied to the giver.
对。
Right.
如果与收花人相关,那就是指右边。
It's tied to the right if it's in reference to the recipient.
嗯。
Yeah.
嗯。
Yeah.
我知道。
I know.
这其中的含义很深。
This is how deep it gets.
它也可能表达很多负面含义,我觉得你倒着递花束时就是这个意思。
It could also express a lot of negative meanings, and I think that's what you were doing when you handed a bouquet upside down.
你得相当敏锐才能放一束充满恶意的花,然后倒着递给对方,让他们明白你表达的是相反的意思。
You'd have to be pretty sharp to put a bunch of mean flowers in, and then hand it to the person upside down to let them know you meant the opposite.
是啊。
Yeah.
不过
But then
这太费周折了。
It's lot of trouble to go through.
没错。
Right.
比如说,你可以用金盏花来谈论嫉妒。
There were, like, you could be talking about jealousy with marigolds.
你可以用薰衣草来表达不信任。
You could be expressing distrust with lavender.
橙百合直接说,我恨你。
Orange Lily straight up said, I hate you.
你可以用金鱼草说,我感觉被欺骗了。
You could say, I feel deceived with snapdragons.
你可以用一种叫艾菊的花来宣战,我之前没听说过这种花,但它就像是一簇簇小黄花长在一根茎上。
You could declare war with a flower called a tansy, which I hadn't heard of before, but it's like a bunch a bunch of, like, small yellow flowers together on, like, a single stalk.
好吧。
Okay.
我原以为可能是印刷错误,以为是三色堇。
I thought that might have been a misprint, a pansy.
但我真的看了电脑键盘后觉得,不是。
But I literally looked at my computer keyboard and was like, nah.
我打赌t和p这两个字母离得挺远的。
I bet it's that t and the p are pretty far apart.
是啊。
Yeah.
我...我只是不知道这种花存在,但老天,它确实存在。
I I just I didn't know that that flower existed, but by goodness, it does.
另外,接受也很重要。
Also, accepting also mattered.
所以,用哪只手接过花束传递了不同的信息,嗯。
So, depending on which hand you accepted the flowers with sent a message Mhmm.
我想意思是,如果是当面递交,你自然会知道。
Which I guess would I mean, if if you're handing them in person, you would know.
但如果不是当面,就需要有人转达给你。
But if not, you had to have it relayed back to you.
对。
Yeah.
如果用右手接过,就表示同意。
If you accepted with the right hand, it was a yes.
左手接过则表示拒绝。
The left hand was a no.
如果收到花束后倒着拿,那就是表示回绝。
If you held the bouquet upside down after getting it, that's rejection.
如果有人送你紫藤花,可能像是在舞会上邀舞之类的,嗯。
If someone gave you wisteria, maybe like asking for a dance at a at a dance Mhmm.
如果你想拒绝,就用左手倒着拿花。
You would hold it upside down with your left hand if you wanted to say, no.
谢谢。
Thank you.
没错。
Right.
是的。
Yeah.
你刚才说'我接受这个'其实是在表达双重否定。
You were really saying I'm I'm passing with that because you're that's a double no.
虽然送花的人可能会问:这是否意味着双重否定?
Although the the the person giving it could be like, is that a double negative?
意思是'同意'吗?
Like, a yes?
没错。
Right.
今天是相反日吗?
Is it opposite day?
所以作为收花人,你也可以回赠鲜花。
So you could also, as the receiver, send flowers in return too.
比如有人通过邮寄送你花束并附上留言而非亲手交付,你同样可以用鲜花回复。
Like, somebody actually sent you flowers or a bouquet with a message and didn't physically hand it to you, you could reply with flowers yourselves.
康乃馨在这种场合特别实用。
Carnations came in handy for that.
如果你送的是纯色康乃馨,就表示同意。
If you sent a solid colored carnation, it meant yes.
黄色康乃馨则代表坚决拒绝。
A yellow carnation was a big fat no.
条纹康乃馨是委婉的拒绝方式,但终究还是拒绝。
A striped carnation was letting them down a little easier, but it was still a no.
它的花语是:很抱歉,我不能和你在一起。
It said, I'm sorry, but I can't be with you.
我在想哪朵花代表,你知道的,你是否心情低落?
I wonder which flower meant, like, you know, are you are you down?
那边确实有类似的东西。
There was something like that out there.
我保证。
I guarantee it.
我不知道是哪一个。
I don't know which one.
是啊。
Yeah.
但肯定有什么东西。
But there was definitely something.
最后我问你把鼻饰戴在哪里,你说在胸衣中央,意思是'嗯'。
And then the last part, I asked you where you were wearing your nose gay, and you said in the center of your bodice, which meant Mhmm.
我只想当朋友。
I just wanna be friends.
但如果你把它戴在心上,查克,我就会明白你在说'我也爱你,老兄'。
But if you had worn it over your heart, Chuck, I would have known that you were saying, I love you right back, buddy.
嘿。
Hey.
我确实也爱你,老兄。
I do love you right back, buddy.
只是,你知道的,
Just, you know,
不是那样的。
not like that.
我明白了。
I understand.
我尝试过了。
I I took my shot.
是的。
Yeah.
我猜查克的小东西没戏了?
I guess then Chuck's short stuff is out?
我想是的。
I think so.
《你应该知道的事》是iHeartRadio制作的节目。
Stuff you should know is a production of iHeartRadio.
更多iHeartRadio播客,请访问iHeartRadio应用或苹果
For more podcasts to myHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。