本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
在医生严重短缺的地区,你们如何提供医疗服务?
How do you provide health care in a place with extreme physician shortages?
2011年,南苏丹成为一个独立国家。
In 2011, South Sudan became an independent country.
我们是当今世界上最新的国家。
We are the youngest nation in the world right now.
我们感到被忽视了。
We feel neglected.
这位是约翰内斯·赖希医生,他是他所在社区第一位成为医生的人。
That's doctor Johannes Reich, who's the first in his community to become a doctor.
作为一名医生,我对未来的期望是建立一个健康的社会,这正是我们正在努力的目标。
My hope for the future first as a doctor is a healthy society, and that is what we are working for.
当现在的U。
When the current U.
S。
S.
政府上台后,我们收到了突然的通知。
Government came into power, we got an abrupt notification.
明天,我们将暂停所有活动。
Tomorrow, we suspend all activities.
这对我们产生了直接影响。
So that had immediate effect on us.
成千上万的社区无法获得基本的医疗服务。
Thousands of communities are not able to access basic health care services.
他通过自己的非营利性社区医疗组织YoCare,在极其困难的条件下取得了非凡的成就,帮助南苏丹人民获得必要的医疗服务,并掌握自身健康需求的主动权。
With his nonprofit community health care organization, YoCare, he's made heroic strides against great odds to empower the people of South Sudan to get access to integral medical care and take charge over their own health needs.
了解更多关于约翰内斯及其令人惊叹的故事,请收听我们最新一期的《TED演讲每日》之“同伴星期五”访谈。
Learn more about Johannes and his breathtaking story in our most recent Fellow Fridays interview only on TED Talks Daily.
您正在收听《TED演讲每日》,我们每天为您带来新思想和对话,激发您的好奇心。
You're listening to TED Talks daily where we bring you new ideas and conversations to spark your curiosity every day.
我是您的主持人伊莉丝·胡。
I'm your host, Elise Hu.
如果你感到精疲力尽,问题可能不在于工作太多,而在于过度思考你的工作。
If you're feeling burned out, it might not be about working too much, but rather thinking too much about your job.
心理学家盖伊·温奇2019年的演讲探讨了如何通过三种简单的方法,停止反复思虑明天的任务或纠结于办公室矛盾。
Psychologist Guy Winch's 2019 archive talk explores how you can stop ruminating about tomorrow's tasks or stewing over office tensions with three simple techniques.
这些方法旨在帮助你真正放松并恢复精力。
They're aimed at helping you truly relax and recharge.
从青少年时期起,我就想成为一名心理学家,并为此花了多年时间追求这个目标。
I wanted to be a psychologist since I was a teenager, and I spent years pursuing that one goal.
我一拿到执照就开了自己的私人诊所。
I opened my private practice as soon as I was licensed.
这是一个冒险的决定——没有去医院或诊所找一份朝九晚五的工作,但一年内,我的诊所就取得了不错的成绩,收入也超过了以往任何时期。
It was a risky move, not getting a day job at a hospital or a clinic, but within one year, my practice was doing quite well, and I was making more money than I ever made before.
当然,我一辈子都是全日制学生。
Of course, I was a full time student my entire life.
我本可以去麦当劳工作,赚的钱也比我以前任何时候都多。
I could have worked at McDonald's and made more money than I ever made before.
那一年的里程碑发生在七月的一个周五晚上。
That one year mark came on a Friday night in July.
我步行回家回到公寓,和一位急诊科医生邻居一起进了电梯。
I walked home to my apartment and got into the elevator with a neighbor who was a doctor in the ER.
电梯上升时突然晃动,卡在了两层楼之间。
The elevator rose, then it shuddered and stalled between floors.
这位平时处理紧急情况的人开始按按钮、敲门,说:‘这真是我的噩梦。’
And the man who dealt with emergencies for a living began poking at the buttons and banging on the door saying, this is my nightmare.
这真是我的噩梦。
This is my nightmare.
我当时心想:‘这也是我的噩梦。’
And I was like, and this is my nightmare.
不过事后我感到很愧疚,因为我并没有恐慌,而且我知道该说什么来安抚他。
I felt terrible afterwards, though, because I wasn't panicked, and I knew what to say to calm him down.
我只是太疲惫了,没能做到。
I was just too depleted to do it.
我什么都没剩下了。
I had nothing left to give.
这让我感到困惑。
And that confused me.
毕竟,我终于过上了梦想中的生活,那为什么我不快乐呢?
After all, I was finally living my dream, so why wasn't I happy?
为什么我感到如此精疲力尽?
Why did I feel so burnt out?
在几周糟糕的日子里,我怀疑自己是不是做错了选择。
For a few terrible weeks, I questioned whether I'd made a mistake.
如果我选错了职业怎么办?
What if I had chosen the wrong profession?
如果我一生都在追求错误的职业怎么办?
What if I had spent my entire life pursuing the wrong career?
但后来我意识到,不,我依然热爱心理学。
But then I realized, no, I still loved psychology.
问题不在于我在办公室做的工作。
The problem wasn't the work I did in my office.
而在于我回家后不断反复思考工作的那些时间。
It was the hours I spent ruminating about work when I was home.
每天晚上我都会关上办公室的门,但脑海里的那扇门却始终大开着,压力就这样源源不断地涌入。
I closed the door to my office every night, but the door in my head remained wide open, and the stress just flooded in.
这正是工作压力的有趣之处。
That's the interesting thing about work stress.
我们在工作中其实并没有感受到多少压力。
We don't really experience much of it at work.
因为我们太忙了。
We're too busy.
我们是在工作之外感受到压力的,比如通勤时、在家时、试图放松时。
We experience it outside of work, when we're commuting, when we're home, when we're trying to rejuvenate.
在空闲时间恢复身心、减压并做自己喜欢的事情非常重要。
It is important to recover in our spare time, to destress and do things we enjoy.
在这方面,我们面临的最大障碍是反复思虑,因为每次这样做的时候,我们实际上都在激活自己的压力反应。
And the biggest obstruction we face in that regard is ruminating, because each time we do it, we're actually activating our stress response.
所谓反复思虑,就是反复咀嚼。
Now, to ruminate means to chew over.
这个词原本用来描述牛消化食物的方式。
The word refers to how cows digest their food.
对于那些不熟悉牛消化过程乐趣的人,牛会先咀嚼,然后吞下,再反刍出来重新咀嚼。
For those of you unfamiliar with the joys of cow digestion, cows chew, then they swallow, then they regurgitate it back up and chew it again.
这听起来很恶心。
It's disgusting.
但对牛来说,这种方法很有效。
But it works for cows.
对人类却行不通,因为我们反复咀嚼的都是令人不安的事情、令人痛苦的事情,而且方式完全无益。
It does not work for humans, because what we chew over are the upsetting things, the distressing things, and we do it in ways that are entirely unproductive.
我们花在纠结未完成任务、揣摩与同事的紧张关系、焦虑担忧未来,或反复质疑自己决定上的时间,就是如此。
It's the hours we spend obsessing about tasks we didn't complete or stewing about tensions with a colleague or anxiously worrying about the future or second guessing decisions we've made.
现在,关于我们在非工作时间如何思考工作,已经有很多研究,研究结果令人担忧。
Now, there's a lot of research on how we think about work when we're not at work, and the findings are quite alarming.
在下班后反复思考工作、不断重复同样的想法和担忧,会严重破坏我们在业余时间恢复和充电的能力。
Ruminating about work, replaying the same thoughts and worries over and over again significantly disrupts our ability to recover and recharge in the off hours.
我们在家时越是对工作进行反刍式思考,就越容易出现睡眠障碍、饮食不健康和情绪更差的情况。
The more we ruminate about work when we're home, the more likely we are to experience sleep disturbances, to eat unhealthier foods and to have worse moods.
这甚至可能增加我们患心血管疾病的风险,并损害我们的执行功能——而这些正是我们做好工作的关键能力,更不用说它对我们人际关系和家庭生活造成的负面影响,因为身边的人能察觉到我们心不在焉、思绪沉重。
It may even increase our risk of cardiovascular disease and of impairing our executive functioning, the very skill sets we need to do our jobs well, not to mention the toll it takes on our relationships and family lives, because people around us can tell we're checked out and preoccupied.
然而,这些相同的研究发现,虽然在家中反刍工作会损害我们的情绪健康,但以创造性或解决问题的方式思考工作则不会,因为这类思考不会引发情绪困扰,更重要的是,它们在我们的掌控之中。
Now, those same studies found that while ruminating about work when we're home damages our emotional well-being, thinking about work in creative or problem solving ways does not, because those kinds of thinking do not elicit emotional distress, and more importantly, they're in our control.
我们可以决定是否回复邮件,或者留到明天早上再处理,也可以决定是否要为那些让我们兴奋的工作项目进行头脑风暴。
We can decide whether to respond to an email or leave it till morning, or whether we want to brainstorm about work projects that excite us.
但反刍是不由自主的。
But ruminations are involuntary.
它们是侵入性的。
They're intrusive.
它们在我们不希望出现的时候突然冒出来。
They pop into our head when we don't want them to.
当我们不想烦恼时,它们却让我们心烦意乱。
They upset us when we don't want to be upset.
当我们试图放松时,它们却让我们重新进入工作状态。
They switch us on when we're trying to switch off.
而且它们很难抗拒,因为想到所有未完成的任务会让人感觉非常紧迫。
And they are very difficult to resist, because thinking of all our unfinished tasks feels urgent.
对未来的焦虑担忧让人难以摆脱。
Anxiously worrying about the future feels compelling.
反刍思考总让我们觉得我们在做重要的事,但实际上,我们正在做有害的事。
Ruminating always feels like we're doing something important, when in fact, we're doing something harmful.
我们都比自己意识到的做得更多。
And we all do it far more than we realize.
当我精疲力尽时,我决定连续一周写日记,记录我花在反刍思考上的确切时间。
Back when I was burnt out, I decided to keep a journal for a week and document exactly how much time I spent ruminating.
我对结果感到震惊。
And I was horrified by the results.
每晚我试图入睡时,它都超过三十分钟。
It was over thirty minutes a night when I was trying to fall asleep.
我上下班的整个通勤时间,每天四十五分钟,在同事家的晚宴上完全心不在焉了二十分钟。
My entire commute to and from my office, that was forty five minutes a day, totally checked out for twenty minutes during a dinner party at the colleague's house.
从此再也没人邀请我去那里了,而在一场恰好持续九十分钟的朋友才艺表演中,我花了九十分钟。
Never got invited there again, and ninety minutes during a friend's talent show that coincidentally was ninety minutes long.
总共那一周,我花了将近十四个小时。
In total, that week, it was almost fourteen hours.
这就是我因某种实际上加剧了我压力的事情而失去的休闲时间。
That's how much downtime I was losing to something that actually increased my stress.
试着坚持写一周日记。
Try keeping a journal for one week.
看看你做了多少次。
See how much you do it.
这让我意识到,我依然热爱我的工作,但反复思虑正在摧毁这份热爱,也正在破坏我的个人生活。
That's what made me realize that I still loved my work, but ruminating was destroying that love, and it was destroying my personal life too.
于是我阅读了我能找到的所有研究,并向我的反复思虑宣战。
So I read every study I could find, and I went to war against my ruminations.
习惯的改变很难。
Now, habit change is hard.
每次察觉到自己在反复思虑时,都需要真正的自律去制止,也需要持续的坚持才能让新习惯稳固下来。
It took real diligence to catch myself ruminating each time and real consistency to make the new habit stick.
但最终,它们成功了。
But eventually, they did.
我赢得了对抗反复思虑的战争,今天我要告诉你们如何赢得你们的战争。
I won my war against ruminating, and I'm here to tell you how you can win yours.
首先,你需要明确的界限。
First, you need clear guardrails.
你必须定义每天何时停止工作、何时彻底放松,并且必须严格执行。
You have to define when you switch off every night, when you stop working, and you have to be strict about it.
我当时给自己定下的规矩是晚上八点后就彻底结束工作,并强迫自己严格执行。
The rule I made for myself at the time was that I was done at 8PM, and I forced myself to stick to it.
现在人们会问我,真的吗?
Now people say to me, really?
你晚上八点后一封邮件都不回?
You didn't return a single email after 8PM?
你连手机都不看?
You didn't even look at your phone?
不,一次都没有,因为那是九十年代。
No, not once, because it was the nineties.
那时候还没有智能手机。
We didn't have smartphones.
我是在2007年才拿到第一台智能手机的。
I got my first smartphone in 2007.
你知道吗,那时iPhone刚推出,我想要一部酷炫时髦的手机。
You know, the iPhone had just come out, and I wanted a phone that was cool and hip.
我买了一部黑莓手机。
I got a BlackBerry.
不过我当时很兴奋。
I was excited, though.
我的第一反应是,我可以随时随地收邮件。
You know, my first thought was, I get my emails wherever I am.
但二十四小时后,我还是觉得,我可以随时随地收邮件。
And twenty four hours later, I was like, I get my emails wherever I am.
我的意思是,当邮件只是侵入我们的思绪时,对抗反复思虑已经够难了,但现在它们有了一个特洛伊木马——我们的手机作为藏身之处。
I mean, battling rumination was hard enough when they just invaded our thoughts, but now they have this Trojan horse, our phones to hide within.
每次我们在下班后看手机,都可能被提醒工作的事,反复思虑的想法就会趁机溜出来,毁掉我们的夜晚或周末。
And each time we just look at our phone after hours, we can be reminded of work, and ruminative thoughts can slip out and slaughter our evening or weekend.
所以,当你打算休息时,请关闭邮件通知;如果必须查看邮件,请提前安排好时间,确保不影响你的计划,并且只在那时查看。
So when you switch off, switch off your email notifications, and if you have to check them, decide on when to do it so it doesn't interfere with your plans, and do it only then.
手机并不是科技助长反复思虑的唯一方式,因为我们即将面临一场更大的斗争。
Cell phones aren't the only way technology is empowering rumination, because we have an even bigger fight coming.
过去十年里,远程办公增加了115%,并且预计未来还会更加显著地增长。
Telecommuting has increased 115% over the past decade, and it's expected to increase even more dramatically going forward.
我们中越来越多的人正在失去工作与家庭之间的物理界限,这意味着工作提醒可以从家中的任何地方触发反刍思维。
More and more of us are losing our physical boundary between work and home, and that means that reminders of work will be able to trigger ruminations from anywhere in our home.
当我们缺乏工作与家庭之间的物理界限时,就必须建立一个心理界限。
When we lack a physical boundary between work and home, we have to create a psychological one.
我们必须欺骗自己的大脑,让它明确区分工作时间和非工作时间、工作空间和非工作空间。
We have to trick our mind into defining work and nonwork times and spaces.
以下是具体的做法。
So here's how you do that.
首先,在家里划定一个明确的工作区域,即使很小,也要尽量只在那里工作。
First, create a defined work zone in your home, even if it's tiny, and try to work only there.
尽量不要在客厅沙发或床上工作,因为这些地方本应与休息和睡眠相关联。
Try not to work on the living room couch or on the bed, because really, those areas should be associated with living and bedding.
接下来,当你在家工作时,只穿那些专门用于工作的衣服。
Next, when you're working from home, wear clothes you only wear when you're working.
然后在一天结束时,换掉衣服,利用音乐和灯光将氛围从工作切换到居家状态。
And then at the end of the day, change clothes and use music and lighting to shift the atmosphere from work to home.
把它变成一种仪式。
Make it a ritual.
现在,你们中有些人可能会觉得这很傻,认为换衣服和调整灯光就能让我的大脑相信我已经不在工作了。
Now, some of you might think that's silly, that changing clothes and lighting will convince my mind I'm no longer at work.
相信我,你的大脑会上当的。
Trust me, your mind will fall for it.
因为我们其实很聪明。
Because we're really smart.
我们的大脑其实很蠢。
Our mind is really stupid.
它总是轻易相信各种随机的关联。
It falls for random associations all the time.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,这就是为什么巴甫洛夫的狗一听到铃声就开始流口水,而白人TED演讲者一看到红色圆圈就会出汗。
I mean, that's why Pavlov's dog began drooling at the sound of a bell, and white TED speakers began sweating at the sight of a red circle.
这些方法确实有帮助,但反复思虑仍会侵袭。
Now those things will help, but ruminations will still invade.
当它们出现时,你必须将它们转化为富有成效的思考方式,比如解决问题。
And when they do, you have to convert them into productive forms of thinking, like problem solving.
我的病人莎莉就是一个很好的例子。
My patient Sally is a good example.
莎莉得到了一生中最好的晋升机会,但代价不小。
Sally was given the promotion of a lifetime, but it came with a price.
她再也无法每天去接女儿放学,这让她心碎。
She was no longer able to pick up her daughter from school every day, and that broke her heart.
于是她想出了一个计划。
So she came up with a plan.
每个星期二和星期四,莎莉都会提前下班,去接女儿,陪她玩耍、给她吃饭、给她洗澡,然后哄她睡觉。
Every Tuesday and Thursday, Sally left work early, picked up her daughter from school, played with her, fed her, bathed her and put her to bed.
然后她回到办公室,工作到午夜之后来补上进度。
And then she went back to the office and worked past midnight to catch up.
但萨莉的反刍日记显示,她在与女儿共度的每一刻几乎都在纠结自己有多少工作要做。
Only Sally's rumination journal indicated she spent almost every minute of her quality time with her daughter ruminating about how much work she had to do.
反刍思维常常剥夺我们最珍贵的时刻。
Ruminations often deny us our most precious moments.
萨莉的反刍想法——我有太多工作要做——非常普遍。
Sally's rumination, I have so much work to do, is a very common one.
和所有这类想法一样,它既无用又有害,因为我们从不在工作时、真正完成任务时产生这种想法。
And like all of them, it's useless and it's harmful because we never think it when we're at work getting stuff done.
我们总是在工作之外、试图放松或做有意义的事情时产生这种想法,比如陪孩子玩耍或与伴侣约会。
We think it when we're outside of work, when we're trying to relax or do things we find meaningful, like playing with our children or having a date night with our partner.
要将反刍思维转化为建设性思维,你必须将其视为一个待解决的问题。
To convert a ruminative thought into a productive one, you have to pose it as a problem to be solved.
将‘我有太多工作要做’转化为问题解决式思维,就是一个排期问题,比如:在我的日程中,哪里可以安排那些让我困扰的任务?
The problem solving version of I have so much work to do is a scheduling question, like, where in my schedule can I fit the tasks that are troubling me?
或者我可以在日程中调整什么,为这件更紧急的事情腾出时间?
Or what can I move in my schedule to make room for this more urgent thing?
或者甚至,我什么时候能抽出十五分钟来查看一下我的日程?
Or even, when do I have fifteen minutes to go over my schedule?
所有这些问题都是可以解决的。
All those are problems that can be solved.
我有太多工作要做,这并不是一个问题。
I have so much work to do is not.
对抗反刍思维很难,但只要你坚持自己的界限,仪式化地完成从工作到家庭的过渡,并训练自己将反刍思维转化为积极的思考方式,你就会成功。
Battling rumination is hard, but if you stick to your guardrails, if you ritualize the transition from work to home, and if you train yourself to convert ruminations into productive forms of thinking, you will succeed.
消除反刍思维真正提升了我的个人生活,但它更显著提升的是我在工作中获得的快乐与满足感。
Banishing ruminations truly enhanced my personal life, but what it enhanced even more was the joy and satisfaction I get from my work.
创造健康工作生活平衡的起点不在现实世界。
Ground zero for creating a healthy work life balance is not in the real world.
而是在我们的脑海中。
It's in our head.
这与反复思虑有关。
It's with ruminating.
如果你想减轻压力、提升生活质量,不一定非得改变工作时间或换工作。
If you want to reduce your stress and improve your quality of life, you don't necessarily have to change your hours or your job.
你只需要改变自己的思维方式。
You just have to change how you think.
谢谢。
Thank you.
刚才讲话的是盖·温奇,2019年在TED沙龙上的发言。
That was Guy Winch speaking at a TED salon in 2019.
这段演讲最初发布于去年十二月。
This talk was originally posted in December year.
今天的内容就到这里。
And that's it for today.
TED每日演讲是TED音频合集的一部分。
TED Talks Daily is part of the TED Audio Collective.
本演讲内容由TED研究团队审核,并由我们的团队——玛莎·埃斯特瓦诺斯、奥利弗·弗里德曼、布莱恩·格林、露西·利特尔和坦西卡·苏恩贡·尼沃恩——制作和编辑。
This talk was fact checked by the TED research team and produced and edited by our team, Martha Estevanos, Oliver Friedman, Brian Green, Lucy Little, and Tansika Sungmar Nivong.
本集由露西·利特尔混音。
This episode was mixed by Lucy Little.
特别感谢艾玛·陶布纳和达尼埃拉·巴雷罗的支持。
Additional support from Emma Taubner and Daniella Balarezo.
我是伊莉斯·胡。
I'm Elise Hu.
明天我会带着一个关于你双脚的新点子回来。
I'll be back tomorrow with a fresh idea for your feet.
感谢收听。
Thanks for listening.
来自BBC,这是《Interface》节目,探索科技如何重塑你的每周生活与整个世界。
From the BBC, this is the Interface, the show that explores how tech is rewiring your week and your world.
这与季度收益或科技评测无关。
This isn't about quarterly earnings or about tech reviews.
它关注的是技术实际上如何影响你的工作、政治和日常生活。
It's about what technology is actually doing to your work, your politics, your everyday life.
以及人们使用互联网的各种奇特方式。
And all the bizarre ways people are using the internet.
在 bbc.com 或您收听播客的任何平台收听。
Listen on bbc.com or wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。