TED Talks Daily - 为什么世界仍未为女性设计 | 弗吉尼亚·桑蒂 封面

为什么世界仍未为女性设计 | 弗吉尼亚·桑蒂

Why the world is still not built for women | Virginia Santy

本集简介

设计顾问弗吉尼亚·桑蒂致力于打造一个专门为女性设计的办公空间,颠覆了工作场所和城市仍以微妙(甚至不那么微妙)方式忽视女性的现状。结果令人瞩目:生产力提升、协作更深入,女性在其中感受到真正的重视,这促使她提出一个简单的问题:如果我们以女性为中心进行设计,世界会是什么样子? 了解更多关于今年四月举行的我们的旗舰会议,请访问 attend.ted.com/podcast 托管于 Acast。更多信息请参阅 acast.com/privacy

双语字幕

仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。

Speaker 0

您正在收听TED Talks每日节目,我们每天为您带来新思想,激发您的好奇心。

You're listening to TED Talks daily where we bring you new ideas to spark your curiosity every day.

Speaker 0

我是您的主持人,伊丽丝·胡。

I'm your host, Elise Hu.

Speaker 0

设计研究员弗吉尼亚·桑蒂提出一个简单却出人意料地深刻的问题。

Design researcher Virginia Santy has a simple but surprisingly profound question.

Speaker 0

您在椅子上、车里,以及一般环境中,是否感到舒适和安全?

Do you feel comfortable and safe in your chair, in your car, and generally in your surroundings?

Speaker 1

这些问题可能看起来有点傻,但根据您的性别认同,它们的“傻”之处也不同。

These questions might seem a little silly, but silly for different reasons depending on your gender identity.

Speaker 0

这是弗吉尼亚在2022年TEDx演讲台上的发言。

That's Virginia speaking from the TEDx stage in 2022.

Speaker 1

我们通常不会向男性提出这些问题,因为大多数情况下,我们不必这么做。

We don't really ask these questions of men because for the most part, we don't have to.

Speaker 1

我们的环境是为男性以及他们体验世界的方式而设计的。

Our environments are built for men and how they experience the world.

Speaker 1

事实是,这个世界并非为女性而建。

The truth is the world wasn't built for women.

Speaker 1

事实上,在几乎所有方面,它都是 literally 为男性设计的。

In fact, in nearly every way, it's been quite literally built for men.

Speaker 0

从达·芬奇的《维特鲁威人》——这位科学家本人绘制的著名墨水画,描绘了男性身体的比例——到常常过冷的办公室室温,我们一直用男性的身体数据来设计这个世界。

From Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, the famous ink drawing by the scientist himself detailing the human proportions of a male figure to the resting temperature of often too cold office spaces, we've used measurements of men's bodies to design the world.

Speaker 0

在她的演讲中,她探讨了我们周围的基本结构如何以微妙和不那么微妙的方式对多样化的身体造成不利影响,以及为女性设计办公室如何引发了一场更广泛的讨论。

In her talk, she explores how the basic structures all around us work against diverse bodies in subtle and not so subtle ways and how designing an office for women sparked an even greater conversation.

Speaker 0

如果我们为女性建造整个城市和经济体系呢?

What if we build entire cities and economies for women?

Speaker 0

这将在短暂的广告后为您呈现。

That's coming up right after a quick break.

Speaker 2

本播客由Wise提供支持,Wise是一款全球用钱的应用程序。

This podcast is brought to you by Wise, the app for using money around the globe.

Speaker 2

使用Wise,您可以发送、消费和接收超过40种货币。

With Wise, you can send, spend, and receive in over 40 currencies.

Speaker 2

无加价,无隐藏费用。

No markups, no hidden fees.

Speaker 2

无论你是向澳大利亚汇美元、在伦敦消费英镑,还是向自由职业者支付比索,每笔交易都能获得中间市场汇率。

Whether you're sending dollars down under, spending pounds in London, or paying freelancers in pesos, you'll get the mid market exchange rate on every transaction.

Speaker 2

此外,大多数转账在20秒内即可到账。

Plus most transfers arrive in less than twenty seconds.

Speaker 2

加入全球1500万用户行列。

Join 15,000,000 customers internationally.

Speaker 2

聪明一点,选择Wise。

Be smart, get wise.

Speaker 2

立即下载Wise应用。

Download the Wise app today.

Speaker 2

条款和条件适用。

Ts and Cs apply.

Speaker 0

现在,让我们进入今天的TED演讲。

And now our TED talk of the day.

Speaker 1

你感觉舒服吗?

Do you feel comfortable?

Speaker 1

仔细想想你现在的体验。

Really think about your experience right now.

Speaker 1

你是不是太热或太冷?

Are you too hot or too cold?

Speaker 1

你坐在这个椅子上,屁股感觉怎么样?

How does your butt feel sitting in this chair?

Speaker 1

你感觉安全吗?

Do you feel safe?

Speaker 1

这些问题可能看起来有点傻,但根据你的性别认同,它们傻的原因可能不同。

These questions might seem a little silly, but silly for different reasons depending on your gender identity.

Speaker 1

我们通常不会向男性问这些问题,因为大多数情况下我们没必要问。

We don't really ask these questions of men because for the most part, we don't have to.

Speaker 1

我们的环境是为男性以及他们体验世界的方式而设计的。

Our environments are built for men and how they experience the world.

Speaker 1

对你们女性来说。

For you women.

Speaker 1

这些问题之所以不同,是因为我们被长期灌输,习惯于接受自己的不适,把周围环境或系统视为正常和自然,以至于常常意识不到它们并不完全适合我们。

These questions are different because we are so conditioned to accept our own discomfort, to accept the environments or systems around us as normal and natural, we often fail to realize when they don't quite fit us.

Speaker 1

我们只是想办法适应它。

We just work around it.

Speaker 1

你们有多少女性随身携带的包足够大,可以装得下一件额外的毛衣或羽绒被,以防今天某时感到冷?

How many of you women are carrying a purse or a bag big enough to fit an extra sweater or a down comforter in case you get cold sometime today?

Speaker 1

事实是,这个世界并不是为女性设计的。

The truth is the world wasn't built for women.

Speaker 1

事实上,在几乎所有方面,它都是实实在在为男性设计的。

In fact, in nearly every way, it's been quite literally built for men.

Speaker 1

从达·芬奇的维特鲁威人,到二十世纪中期提出的‘模块化男性’概念,我们一直用男性的身体来衡量什么是正常和恰当的。

From da Vinci's Vitruvian Man to a concept called the Modular Man from the mid twentieth century, we've used men's bodies to measure what we feel is normal and appropriate in our world.

Speaker 1

然后我们用这些测量数据来构建我们周围的一切,从椅子到建筑和汽车。

And then we've used those measurements to build everything around us, from chairs to buildings and cars.

Speaker 1

女性在很大程度上不被看见、不被测量、不被重视。

Women are, for the most part, not seen, not measured, not valued.

Speaker 1

这意味着我们环境的基本物理结构或系统结构以微妙和不那么微妙的方式对女性不利。

And this means the basic physical structures of our environment or the structures of our systems work against women in subtle and not so subtle ways.

Speaker 1

对于有色人种女性、残疾女性以及具有多重身份交叉的女性来说,这种情况更加严重。

And this is exponentially true for women of color, women with disabilities, and women with intersectional identities.

Speaker 1

仅仅二十年前,我们才开始使用女性碰撞测试假人。

It was only twenty years ago we included female crash test dummies.

Speaker 1

直到1991年,我们才在医学试验中纳入女性。

It was only 1991 when we included women in medical trials.

Speaker 1

这就像我们最近才意识到女性不是男性。

It is like we have only recently realized women aren't men.

Speaker 1

几年前,我开始幻想打造一个专为女性设计的办公空间、工作场所会是什么样子。

A few years ago, I started daydreaming about what it would look like to build an office space, a workplace for women.

Speaker 1

我厌倦了在冰冷刺骨的办公室里受冻。

I was tired of freezing in sterile feeling offices.

Speaker 1

我被那些母亲不得不在洗手间隔间或咖啡室里吸奶的悲惨故事深深打击了。

I felt defeated by the woeful tales of moms who had to breast pump in bathroom stalls or coffee rooms.

Speaker 1

我厌倦了因为偶尔需要带孩子来上班几小时以应对某些育儿紧急情况而感到内疚或羞愧。

I was sick and tired of feeling guilt or embarrassment for having to bring my baby to work with me a few hours every once in a while to compensate for some caregiving emergency or another.

Speaker 1

于是我开始与女性交谈,询问她们在工作空间中哪些做法有效,哪些无效。

So I started talking to women and asking them what worked, what didn't work in their spaces.

Speaker 1

然后我利用这些信息绘制出了一个理想新工作空间的完整方案。

And then I used that information to sketch out the perfect plan for a new workspace.

Speaker 1

女性告诉我,办公室的停车位太窄,带有孩子的汽车座椅又大又笨重。

Women told me, office parking spaces are too narrow and a car seat with a kid in it is pretty bulky and inflexible.

Speaker 1

因此,我们设计的空间配备了充足的停车位,宽度足以完全打开车门并取出汽车座椅。

So we designed our space with ample parking and spots wide enough to open a car door all the way and take out a car seat.

Speaker 1

女性告诉我们,仅仅进入一栋大楼就可能令人沮丧。

Women told us, simply entering a building can be frustrating.

Speaker 1

你有没有过走到一扇门前,试了好几次才打开的经历?

Have you ever walked up to a door and had to try a few times to get it open?

Speaker 1

你真的得使出全身力气吗?

You really had to throw your weight behind it?

Speaker 1

这是因为门对男人来说更容易打开。

That's because doors open more easily for men.

Speaker 1

字面意义上,这已经不再只是比喻了。

Literally, it is not just a metaphor anymore.

Speaker 1

因此,我们降低了开门所需的力度,让女性使用起来更轻松。

So we reduced the force required to open our doors, making it easier for women to use them.

Speaker 1

妈妈们告诉我们,平衡工作和孩子是她们最大的挑战。

Moms told us juggling work and children is their most difficult challenge.

Speaker 1

所以我们没有假装员工都是完全独立、没有家庭牵绊的个体,也不会认为孩子会从天而降自己长大,而是规划了 onsite托儿室,让妈妈们可以使用我们的合作托儿服务,或带着孩子在旁边玩耍的同时工作。

So instead of pretending workers are 100% autonomous agents with no human connection and children simply drop from the sky and raise themselves, we planned for on-site child care rooms where moms could use our partner child care services or bring their kids to play while they worked.

Speaker 1

这一切不仅仅关乎物理空间。

This all wasn't just physical.

Speaker 1

根据研究,我们发现女性更倾向于和朋友一起参加职业发展活动。

From research, we learned women are most likely to attend a professional development event with a friend.

Speaker 1

所以我们让所有学习都变得具有社交性。

So we made all learning social.

Speaker 1

这些都是很棒的举措,结果非常出色。

These were all great things and the results were glorious.

Speaker 1

女性彼此支持,并在不同企业和行业间合作。

Women supported one another and collaborated across businesses and industries.

Speaker 1

她们分享资源与建议、故事与鼓励。

They shared resources and recommendations, anecdotes and pep talks.

Speaker 1

我们打造了一个地方,让女性可以毫无顾忌地讨论那个常让她们遭受评判和批评的‘A’字——野心,并从中获得他人的鼓励与策略。

We have built a place where women could unabashedly discuss that other scarlet letter capital a word for which they are so often judged and criticized, ambition, and find not only encouragement from others but strategies.

Speaker 1

我们建立了一个让女性感到被重视、从而能够做自己的地方。

We've built a place where women felt valued and could therefore be themselves.

Speaker 1

虽然我相信,重视女性就足以成为打造适合她们的场所的唯一理由,但这里也存在一个经济上的论据。

And while I believe valuing women is the only argument we need for building places that work for them, there is also an economic argument.

Speaker 1

如今,劳动力中男性多于女性。

Today, there are more men than women in the workforce.

Speaker 1

事实上,今天女性的劳动力参与率与三十年前持平,而这一差距正在不断扩大。

In fact, women's workforce participation is at the same level today as it was thirty years ago, and the gap is only getting wider.

Speaker 1

创造让女性感到舒适和被重视的工作环境,是解决这一问题的一种方式。

Building places of work where women feel comfortable and valued is one way to address this.

Speaker 1

如果女性的劳动力参与率与男性相同,美国的GDP将增长5%,即1万亿美元。

If women worked at the same levels as men, The US GDP would increase by 5% or $1,000,000,000,000.

Speaker 1

在全球范围内,我们知道当女性经济更安全时,她们会更多地投资于家庭和社区。

Globally, we know when women are more financially secure, they invest more and more often in their families and communities.

Speaker 1

到目前为止我提到的所有这些,你都可以在家中或工作场所中做到。

Everything I've mentioned so far are things you can do at home, in your workplaces.

Speaker 1

但我们也需要有更大的格局,从更大规模上为女性进行设计。

But we need to think bigger too and design for women on a larger scale.

Speaker 1

我们能否设计出完全服务于女性的整个城市?

Can we design whole cities to serve women?

Speaker 1

这正是激发我为丹佛市中心合作项目开展工作的核心问题。

That's the question that inspired my work for the Downtown Denver Partnership.

Speaker 1

我学到的第一件事是,城市规划者根本没把女性纳入考虑范围。

The first thing I learned is that women aren't really on the radar of city builders.

Speaker 1

美国94%的城市都有城市规划,但其中只有2%的规划提到了女性。

94% of US cities have city plans, yet only 2% of those plans include any mention of women.

Speaker 1

如果女性不在规划者的视野中,那么她们独特的经历也同样被忽视。

And if women aren't on the radar, it means their distinct experiences aren't on the radar either.

Speaker 1

照护工作是一个很好的例子。

Care work is a useful illustration.

Speaker 1

女性每天用于家务或照护活动的时间比男性多37%。

Women spend 37% more time per day on household chores or caregiving activities than men.

Speaker 1

这种状况并不仅仅局限于照顾孩子。

And this doesn't end with children.

Speaker 1

照顾老年人的平均人选是一位49岁的女性,她在外全职工作,每周还要额外花20小时照顾家人。

The average caregiver for an older adult is a 49 year old woman who works full time outside the home and spends an extra twenty hours a week caring for a family member.

Speaker 1

如果这就是女性的现实,我们该如何重新设计城市,以更好地服务她们?

If this is the reality for women, how can we redesign our cities to better serve them?

Speaker 1

尽管市中心居住和工作着越来越多的年轻家庭,但大多数城市中心却缺乏儿童保育设施。

Most city centers are child care deserts despite a growing number of young families who live and work downtown.

Speaker 1

居住在大都市地区的女性往往依赖公共交通来完成各种家务或照护责任。

And women who live in metropolitan areas tend to use public transit to accomplish a range of household or caregiving responsibilities.

Speaker 1

然而,当我们听到‘家庭友好’这个词时,公共交通并不是我们首先想到的。

Yet a city's public transportation system isn't really what we think of when we hear the phrase family friendly.

Speaker 1

带着婴儿车乘坐公共交通非常不便。

Public transit is tough to navigate with a stroller.

Speaker 1

公共交通系统并不支持女性在照护工作中常见的短途、高频次出行。

It doesn't facilitate the short frequent trips women tend to take in care work.

Speaker 1

如果我们真正考虑女性的经历,认识到照护工作在女性生活中的核心地位,就会带来与我们习以为常截然不同的城市设计。

If we really thought about women's experiences, simply recognizing the centrality of care work in women's lives would mean a much different city than what we're used to.

Speaker 1

想象一下这个场景。

Imagine this scenario.

Speaker 1

一位母亲从家步行一小段距离到达公交站。

A mom walks a short distance from her home to her transit stop.

Speaker 1

她在公交站与其它父母和孩子互动,因为那里总有其他父母和孩子。

She and her two year old child socialize with other parents and kids at the stop because there are other parents and kids at the stop.

Speaker 1

她乘坐公共交通去上班,在公司提供的托儿中心照看孩子。

She takes the transit to work where she goes to the on-site corporate sponsored day care facility.

Speaker 1

她有机会在办公室里与副总裁建立联系,因为他也带着孩子使用这家托儿中心。

She gets a chance to kinda network with the VP at her office because he and his kids also use the daycare facility.

Speaker 1

下午晚些时候,她回到托儿中心,和孩子一起吃下午点心。

Later in the afternoon, she returns to the daycare center for an afternoon snack with her kid.

Speaker 1

这次探访让她精力充沛,她回到办公桌前完成一天的工作,接上孩子,返回公交站。

Feeling energized by that visit, she returns to her desk, finishes up her day, picks up her kid, heads back to the transit stop.

Speaker 1

她不必担心交通时刻表,因为这个公交站是一个综合服务枢纽。

She doesn't have to worry about transportation schedules because the transit stop is a hub of services.

Speaker 1

她顺道去了社区诊所接种流感疫苗。

She swings by the walk in health care clinic to get her flu shot.

Speaker 1

她去了银行——顺便说一句,这家银行晚上五点后仍营业——开设了一个不会因她是女性就收取更高利率的金融账户。

She drops by the bank, which is open past 5PM, by the way, and sets up a financial account that does not penalize her with higher interest rates simply for being a woman.

Speaker 1

她和其它家庭一起登上回家的交通工具,感到自己不仅与孩子度过了高质量的时光,也度过了充实而富有战略意义的一天。

She boards her transit home along with other families, feeling like she has had quality time with her kid as well as a productive and strategic day.

Speaker 1

我常常幻想这个场景,就像八岁时幻想骑着会飞的独角兽一样。

I daydream about this scenario in the same way I used to daydream about riding a flying pony when I was eight years old.

Speaker 1

在某些方面,这感觉同样像神话般不真实,但其实并不必如此。

And in some ways, it feels just as mythical and surreal, but it doesn't have to.

Speaker 1

在我看来,职场城市是重新审视我们世界中习以为常之事的创新契机。

To me, the workplace cities are inventive opportunities to question what we see as normal and natural in our world.

Speaker 1

为什么我们要让职场妈妈如此艰难,而她们的贡献恰恰直接推动了我们经济未来的成功?

Why do we make it so difficult on working mothers when their contributions quite literally fuel the future success of our economies.

Speaker 1

我们如何能以不同的方式做事?随着性别认同和性别规范的演变,我们又该如何持续改进?

How can we do things differently, and how can we continue to iterate as gender identities and gender norms evolve?

Speaker 1

最后,要实现这些改变需要什么?

Finally, what would it take to make these changes?

Speaker 1

答案如此简单。

The answer is so simple.

Speaker 1

有时候说出来感觉有点傻。

It sometimes feels silly to say it aloud.

Speaker 1

重视女性。

Value women.

Speaker 1

看,女性不仅是人,因而值得我们的关注,更是为我们的集体成功做出巨大贡献的人。

See, women is not only human and therefore worthy of our consideration, but as people who make incredible contributions to our collective success.

Speaker 1

认识到女性的经历与男性不同,但这些差异并非缺陷。

Recognize women's experiences are different than men's, but that those differences are not deficiencies.

Speaker 1

这本可以是一个悲伤的故事,但在许多方面,它却是一曲胜利的赞歌。

This could be a sad story, but in many ways, it's one of triumph.

Speaker 1

女性在个人、政治、文化、经济等领域取得成功,尽管所处的体系和环境并非为她们而设计。

Women succeed in personal, political, cultural, economic arenas, all in spite of systems, places not designed to serve them.

Speaker 1

想象一下,如果我们为她们创造更轻松的条件,女性能取得怎样的成就。

Imagine what women could do if we made things a little easier on them.

Speaker 1

我们可以构建出并非男性模式的衍生品或调整品,而是源于灵感与创造力的场所、城市和体系。

We can build places, cities, systems that are not derivatives of or adjustments to what works for men, but the product of inspired thought and creativity.

Speaker 1

我们可以为女性设计,衡量她们的真实体验,并以这些体验为依据进行建设。

We can design for women, measure their lived experiences, and build with those experiences in mind.

Speaker 1

世界因此会变得更好。

And the world will be better for it.

Speaker 1

谢谢。

Thank you.

Speaker 0

这是弗吉尼亚·桑蒂在2022年科罗拉多州丹佛市TEDx Mile High的演讲。

That was Virginia Santy at TEDx Mile High in Denver, Colorado in 2022.

Speaker 0

如果你对TED的选题标准感兴趣,可以访问ted.com/curationguidelines了解更多。

If you're curious about TED's curation, find out more at ted.com/curationguidelines.

Speaker 0

今天的内容就到这里。

And that's it for today.

Speaker 0

《TED演讲每日》是TED音频合集的一部分。

TED Talks Daily is part of the TED audio collective.

Speaker 0

本次演讲由TED研究团队进行事实核查,并由我们的团队——玛莎·埃斯特瓦诺斯、奥利弗·弗里德曼、布莱恩·格林、露西·利特尔和坦斯卡·苏恩马诺翁——制作和编辑。

This talk was fact checked by the TED research team and produced and edited by our team, Martha Estevanos, Oliver Friedman, Brian Greene, Lucy Little, and Tansika Sungmarnivong.

Speaker 0

本集由克里斯托弗·法齐·博甘混音。

This episode was mixed by Christopher Faizy Bogan.

Speaker 0

特别感谢艾玛·陶布纳和达尼埃拉·巴雷罗的支持。

Additional support from Emma Taubner and Daniella Balarezo.

Speaker 0

我是伊莉丝·胡。

I'm Elise Hu.

Speaker 0

明天我会带着一个全新的想法回来,为你的信息流增添内容。

I'll be back tomorrow with a fresh idea for your feed.

Speaker 0

感谢收听。

Thanks for listening.

Speaker 3

神经科学家伊桑·克罗斯表示,你可能认为发泄烦恼是健康的,但

Neuroscientist Ethan Cross says you may think it's healthy to vent about what's bothering you but

Speaker 4

问题是,你常常在这样的对话后,对刚交流的那个人感觉很好,但所有的负面情绪依然存在。

The problem is you often leave that conversation feeling really good about the person you just communicated with but all the negative feelings are still there.

Speaker 4

有时这些情绪甚至被进一步激发了。

Sometimes they're even more activated.

Speaker 3

管理情绪的工具。

Tools for managing our emotions.

Speaker 3

接下来请收听来自NPR的TED电台节目。

That's next time on the TED Radio Hour from NPR.

Speaker 3

请在您收听播客的平台收听并订阅《TED电台节目》。

Listen and subscribe to the TED Radio Hour wherever you get your podcasts.

关于 Bayt 播客

Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。

继续浏览更多播客