本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我们向《纽约时报》的员工提前展示了跨平台联机功能,以下是他们的反馈。
We gave Times employees a preview of cross play from New York Times games, and here's what they had to say.
我终于可以和其他人一起玩了。
I can finally play with other people.
我很有竞争心。
I'm pretty competitive.
击败朋友和同事很有趣。
It's fun to beat friends and coworkers.
我有一个J,得10分。
I have a j for 10 points.
我猜'tango'不是一个单词。
I'm guessing tango is not a word.
我们来看看。
Let's see.
'tango'是个单词吗?
Tango is a word?
哦。
Oh.
作为英语为第二语言的学习者,我喜欢学习新单词。
As in English as a second language speaker, I like to learn new words.
交叉玩法,纽约时报游戏推出的首款双人文字游戏。
Crossplay, the first two player word game from New York Times games.
今天免费下载吧。
Download it for free today.
能给我加四分吗?
Can I give them a four, please?
是的。
Yeah.
就这样了,兄弟。
That's it, brother.
给你,兄弟。
Here you go, brother.
你能解释一下你接下来要做什么吗?
Can you just explain what it is you're about to do?
我要提高汽油价格。
I'm gonna raise the gas price.
来自《纽约时报》,我是迈克尔·比尔巴罗。
From The New York Times, I'm Michael Bilbarro.
这是《每日新闻》。
This is The Daily.
所以我们得进入燃油管理菜单和燃油价格设置。
So we gotta go into the, fuel manager menu and fuel price configuration.
好的。
Alright.
我要把我的高级汽油价格从4.49美元上调到4.69美元。
I'm gonna go from $4.49 on my premium to $4.69.
过去四周,全美各地的加油站已成为这场战争国内影响的一个缩影。
For the past four weeks, gas stations across The United States have become a kind of microcosm of the war's domestic impact.
在成千上万个加油泵和收银台前,一场意志的较量正在实时上演。
It's there at thousands of pumps and cash registers that a test of wills is playing out in real time.
我只需要把油价下载到我的加油泵上,这就完事了。
I just gotta download the fuel prices to my pumps, and that's that.
价格已上调。
Price increased.
在加油站经理日复一日地决定每加仑汽油该收多少钱,与早已捉襟见肘的消费者决定愿意承受多大痛苦之间,这场博弈正在展开。
Between gas station managers deciding day after day just how much to charge for a gallon of gas and already cash strapped consumers deciding just how much pain they're willing to endure.
我的意思是,你有没有哪一刻觉得,这样做真的很难受?
I mean, does any part of you just feel, like, really bad that you have to do that?
是的。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
我觉得很难受。
I feel I feel bad.
我的意思是,这是必需的。
I mean, it's a necessity.
我不得不这么做。
I have to.
但,是的,我确实感到很难过。
But, yeah, I I feel bad.
这有点让人难受。
That kinda hurts.
今天,佛罗里达州杰克逊维尔一家加油站对这场战争的视角。
Today, the view of this war from a neighborhood gas station in Jacksonville, Florida.
今天是3月27日,星期五。
It's Friday, March 27.
好的。
Okay.
我想就这些了。
I think this is it.
是的
Yeah.
我们开始了。
Here we go.
嘿。
Yo.
我们快到了。
We're getting there.
嘿。
Hey.
佛罗里达。
Florida.
佛罗里达的司机。
Florida drivers.
上周,日常制作人安娜·福利和我前往杰克逊维尔郊区,采访了一位名叫卡姆·乔迪的加油站经理。
Last week, daily producer Anna Foley and I headed to Suburban Jacksonville to talk to a gas station manager named Cam Joudi.
嘿,各位。
Hey, guys.
怎么了?
What's going on?
欢迎光临。
Welcome here.
嗨。
Hi.
迈克尔,
Michael,
卡马罗。
Camaro.
卡梅隆,很高兴认识你。
Cameron, nice to meet you.
很高兴认识你。
Nice to meet you.
为什么是这个加油站和这位经理?
Now why this station and this manager?
哦,我们可以回来
Oh, we can come on
吗?
back?
好的。
Okay.
太好了。
Great.
是的。
Yeah.
卡姆在这个国家经营着一项迅速消失的生意——一家独立经营的加油站。
Cam runs a quickly vanishing business in this country, an independently owned gas station.
你这儿有些正宗的Little Debbie
You got some serious Little Debbie
正经的Little Debbie零食。
Serious Little Debbie stuff.
当然。
Of course.
是的。
Yeah.
就在那儿,正对着我,一整天都在我对面盯着我,低声呼唤我的名字。
Right there, right in front, staring at me across the way, all day, whispering my name.
蜂蜜面包和
Honey buns and
这意味着Cam独自定价。
Meaning that Cam and Cam alone sets the price.
现在。
Now.
我从未深入了解过收银员的
I've never been in the guts of the of the cashier's
这就是你一直梦想的一切吗?
Is it all you ever dreamed of?
收银员的区域,是的。
The cashier's wing Yeah.
在商店里。
At the store.
我们是在一个星期二遇到他的,当时他加油站的普通无铅汽油售价为每加仑3.79美元,比战争爆发前高出约40%。
We met him on a Tuesday when regular unleaded gas at his station cost $3.79 a gallon, about 40% higher than before the war started.
7.90美元。
$7.90.
卡姆正在加油站便利店的收银台工作,而正是在这条住宅街上、小学对面的这家店里,你才能真正看到他是如何深深融入这个社区的。
Cam was manning the cash register of the station's convenience store, And it's inside this store on a residential street across from an elementary school where you really see how intimately he's woven himself into this community.
嘿,里克,最近怎么样?
What's up, Rick?
李先生。
Mister Lee.
嘿,威利斯。
Hey, Willis.
是的。
Yeah.
你很棒,兄弟。
You're good, brother.
你和很多顾客都
Are you on a
直呼名字吗?
first name basis with lot of customers?
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
再过几个月,到今年七月,就整整九年了。
After eight years, almost nine years this July, it'll be nine years.
我这儿有很多常客。
I got a lot of regulars that come in here.
我觉得
And I think
卡姆大约十年前从他父亲手里接过了这家生意,他父亲移民美国前经由危地马拉,之后开始购买便利店。
that Cam took over the business about a decade ago from his father who started buying convenience stores after he immigrated to The US from Syria by way of Guatemala.
这个加油站是他在我妹妹出生前后买下的,我想这似乎成了一种趋势。
This gas station in particular, he bought right around the time my sister was born, I believe, seems to be a trend.
他有个孩子。
He has a kid.
他有个加油站。
He has a gas station.
他有
He has
个孩子。
a kid.
他有个,我不知道。
He has a I don't know.
卡姆从小看着父亲成为这个社区的非正式市长。
And Cam grew up watching his father really become the unofficial mayor of this neighborhood.
他总是回去看《人人都爱雷蒙德》这部剧。
He always goes back to the show everybody loves Raymond.
那就是他的名字,雷蒙德。
That's his name, Raymond.
所以即使小时候,我们出去吃饭时总会遇到他从某家店认识的人。
So even growing up as a kid, we couldn't go out to eat without running into somebody that he knew from one of the stores.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
服务员,厨房里做饭的人,排队买咖啡的人。
A a waiter, somebody in the back cooking our food in the kitchen, somebody waiting in line for their coffee.
他认识每个人。
He knows everybody.
这远远不止是认识每个人那么简单。
And it went beyond just knowing everybody.
他的顾客都被当作乔迪家族的延伸,是的。
His father's customers were treated as an extension Yeah.
乔迪家族的一部分。
Of the Joudi family.
直到我开始在这里工作,我才意识到父亲对这些顾客的影响有多大,有人会进来告诉我:‘你爸爸,当时我的电被停了,他……’
I didn't know the extent of my dad's impact on some of these customers until I started working here when someone would come in here and tell me like, know, your dad like I he I was I was my my power was off.
嗯。
Mhmm.
他借给我钱,让我能把电重新接上,诸如此类的事情。
And he he loaned me the money I needed to get the electricity back on, you know, and stuff like that.
我跟爸爸说:‘爸,你真的做过这些吗?’
It's like, dad, did you really do that?
他回答:‘当然做了。’
He's like, of course I did.
他们来我的店已经十年、十五年了。
They've been coming to my store for ten ten, fifteen years.
所以对卡姆来说,这是他唯一知道的经营生意的方式。
So for Cam, this was really the only way he knew to run a business.
我这里的这些常客,我已经认识他们八年了。
These regular customers that I get in here, I mean, I've known them now for eight years.
我认识他们的时间比我认识我孩子的时间还长。
That's a longer time than I've known my kids.
我只有一个四岁的孩子。
I only got a four year old.
所以有些这些人,他们一直陪伴着我妻子的怀孕期。
So some of these people, they've been around for my wife's pregnancies.
当我妻子怀孕的消息传开后,我有几个常客。
I had several regular customers when they found out my wife was pregnant.
他们给我带来了整整一箱又一箱的纸尿裤。
They brought me boxes and boxes and boxes of diapers.
这真的太棒了。
Like, it's just really cool.
我觉得没多少人能有这样的经历:顾客几乎每天都会来你的店,有时一天来六次,成为你生活中非常重要的一部分。
I don't think a lot of people get to experience that, where a customer comes to your business almost every single day, sometimes up to six times a day, become a huge part of your life.
确实如此。
They really do.
举个例子,当卡姆抓到当地学生偷东西时——这种情况时有发生——他从不报警。
And just to give you an example, when Cam catches local students shoplifting, which happens with some frequency, he never calls the police.
他会告诉别人。
He tells somebody else.
我认识他们的体育老师。
I know their PE coach.
他每天都会来这儿。
He comes in here every day.
所以我告诉他。
So I tell him.
我给他看我相机里那个孩子的照片,他就让那孩子跑圈或者滚出去。
I I I show him a picture of the kid on my camera, and he makes them run laps or push Out of here.
是的。
Yes.
这就是本地的正义。
That's the local justice.
我太喜欢了。
I love it.
所以几周前战争爆发时
So when the war broke out a few weeks ago
战争爆发前,我记得我们油价一直停在2.79美元。
Right before the war, I remember we were sitting at $2.79 for a long time.
卡姆意识到他得涨油价了。
And Cam realized he was gonna have to raise gas prices.
从2.79美元涨到2.99美元,再到3.09美元。
From $2.79 to $2.99 to $3.00 9.
一遍又一遍。
Over and over.
我们在48小时内上涨了近20美分。
We went up almost 20¢ in forty eight hours.
一次又一次。
And over again.
天哪。
Gosh.
几乎每天都这样。
It's been almost every day.
他并不是反复对陌生人提高油价。
He wasn't repeatedly raising gas prices on strangers.
他是在向他真正关心的人提价,那些他明知已经捉襟见肘的人。
He was raising prices on people he really cares about, people who he knows are already stretched very thin.
我希望他们能明白,我涨价并不是为了赚快钱。
I hope they understand that I'm not pricing my gas to make a quick buck.
我定价汽油的方式是我维持运营所必需的。
I'm pricing my gas how I need to price it in order to stay afloat.
为了说明这一点,这实际上并没有让卡姆赚更多钱。
And just to explain how this works, this is actually not making Cam more money.
我的燃油供应商按加仑向我收费,然后我还得考虑他们是否会收取将油运到加油站的费用。
My distributor of fuel is charging me per gallon, and then I have to account for if they're gonna charge me to get it to the gas station.
所以
So
运输费用。
Trucking fees.
运送到加油站本身的运输费用。
Trucking fees to the to the store itself.
此外,我们还必须考虑顾客购买汽油时产生的各种费用,比如信用卡和借记卡公司的手续费。
And then we also have to account for the different fees that are associated with the customer purchasing gas, the credit card companies and debit card companies.
对卡姆来说,汽油的利润率其实非常低。
For Cam, the margins on gas are actually pretty slim.
我的意思是,像我这样的生意,每加仑的利润其实非常微薄。
I mean, there's really such a small amount of profit to be made per gallon for a business like mine.
我的意思是,我这家店每加仑最多只能赚十到十五美分。
I mean, I'm talking maybe ten to fifteen cents per gallon max for for my store.
他的油泵容量大约为8000加仑,通常能维持几个星期。
His pumps hold about 8,000 gallons, which usually lasts a couple of weeks.
因此,每加仑赚10美分,总共就是800美元,这对一个加油站来说,利润出乎意料地低。
And so 10¢ of profit on that is about $800, which is a surprisingly small amount of profit for a gas station
去
to
在汽油上赚钱。
make on gas.
在了解你的客户的情况下,你是如何考虑提高加油价格的呢?
How did you think about this question of how much you could increase the price at the pump knowing your customer?
你是如何平衡这一切的?
How did you balance all that?
我的常客们都很忠诚。
I mean, my regular customers, they're pretty loyal.
我愿意相信,他们会因为这是我的店,而选择我的加油站,而不是那些大型企业或连锁加油站。
I like to think that they would choose my store over a big corporate owned gas station or a big chain gas station franchise like that just because it's my store.
我在制定油价时,能考虑到顾客吗?
Can I consider the customer when I'm making these gas prices?
其实不能,尽管我很喜欢我的常客,但我每加仑不能亏本。
Not really because as much as I love my regular customers, I can't take a loss per gallon.
甚至连我的盈亏平衡点都很难算出来。
It would be difficult to even figure out what my breakeven number would be.
明白吗?
Know?
每加仑至少得赚几美分,否则卖汽油就毫无意义。
We've got to at least make a couple cents off of each gallon or there's really no point in Selling gas.
卖汽油。
Selling gas.
我可以参考路边那家大型连锁加油站今天的油价,他们卖3.99美元。
I could take the gas price of that big chain gas station up the road that's priced at $399 today.
我可以说,我是独立经营的。
I could say, well, I'm independently owned.
我需要更大的利润空间,所以把我的价格定在4.90美元,我完全可以这么做。
I need to have a bigger profit margin and price mine for $4.9 I could do that.
你知道,我这么做没什么问题。
You know, there's no problem with me doing that.
我认识一些加油站老板就是这样做的。
I know gas station owners that do do that.
他们只是比最近的大型连锁加油站贵一毛钱,好让自己多赚点利润。
They go 10¢ over their nearest big corporate gas station just so that they can make a little bit more of a profit margin.
但我选择不这么做,这正是因为我跟我的常客们有这种关系。
I choose not to, specifically because of the relationship I have with my regular customers.
我希望下周就能结束,重新回到每加仑2.79美元的价格。
I would love for this to be over next week, and I go back to $2.79 a gallon.
那太棒了。
That'd be awesome.
我衷心希望这只是暂时的,不会持续太久。
I hope beyond hope that it is temporary and it does not last long.
但,是的,我确实担心这些高价会持续多久。
But, yeah, I I I do worry about the the longevity of of these high prices.
这会对很多人造成压力,包括我自己。
It would it would it would be a strain on on a lot of people, including myself included.
但尽管他有最好的意图,在我们结束对话、卡姆一天的工作即将结束时,他还是去查看了镇上其他加油站的价格。
But despite his best intentions, as we wrapped up our conversation and Cam's day came to an end, he checks in on prices around town.
他的大多数竞争对手的普通汽油价格都是每加仑3.99美元。
Most of his rivals were at $3.99 a gallon for regular.
他一直保持在每加仑3.79美元。
He had been holding steady at $3.79.
他望着加油机。
He looks out at the pumps.
我不喜欢在顾客加油的时候这么做。
I don't like to do it when customers are pumping gas.
于是他打电话上调了价格。
And he makes the call to raise the prices.
所以我要把价格从3.79美元上调到3.99美元。
So I'm gonna raise it from $3.79 to $3.99.
这涨幅不小啊。
That's a big jump.
确实涨得不少。
It is a big jump.
是的。
Yeah.
所以如果我现在走出去,就连那个大牌子也要改吗?
So if I go outside right now, even on that big sign?
大牌子现在也在更新了。
Big sign is happening right now too.
而且这几乎是即时的。
And that's it's almost instant.
对。
Yep.
砰。
Boom.
我们马上回来。
We'll be right back.
《纽约时报》应用程序里有你可能没看到的全部内容。
The New York Times app has all this stuff that you may not have seen.
我可以立即跳转到符合我心情的内容。
I can immediately navigate to something that matches what I'm feeling.
顶部的标签页包含了所有不同的板块。
The way the tabs are at the top with all of the different sections.
这样导航更简单。
It's just easier to navigate that way.
每个人都能找到适合自己的内容。
There is something for everyone.
那些个性化页面,尤其是YouTube那个,是我最喜欢的。
Those personalized page, the YouTube, that one's my favorite.
我也可以轻松地将文章保存在这个区域。
I can also save my articles easily in this area.
在作者署名下方,写着:‘如果你喜欢听这篇文章,请点击这里。’
Right under the byline, it says click here if you like to listen to this article.
我喜欢顶部的烹饪标签非常容易访问。
I like that the cooking tab on top is really easily accessible.
所以当我下班回家的路上,正想着今晚该做什么饭时。
So if I'm on my way home and I'm just thinking, oh, what am I gonna make for dinner?
我会快速打开烹饪板块,看看我 pantry 里有什么食材。
I'll just quickly go on to cooking and say, oh, I've got this in my pantry.
我打算试试这里看到的一些食谱。
I'm gonna try out some of these recipes I see in here.
我总是订购游戏。
I order games always.
做填字游戏,玩Wordle。
Doing the mini, doing the Wordle.
我喜欢它让我接触到这么多内容。
I loved how much content it exposed me to.
一些我从来不会想到去新闻应用里找的东西。
Things that I never would have thought to turn to a news app for.
这个应用必不可少。
This app is essential.
《纽约时报》应用。
The New York Times app.
所有时刻,全部汇聚一处。
All of the times, all in one place.
立即前往nytimes.com/app下载。
Download it now at nytimes.com/app.
早上好,肯。
Good morning, Ken.
早上好。
Good morning.
好冷啊。
It's cold.
在佛罗里达这算冷了。
It's cold for Florida.
是的。
Yes.
确实如此。
It is.
没错。
That's right.
第二天早上,快七点的时候,安娜和我回到加油站,看着卡姆开门营业。
The next morning, just before 7AM, Anna and I returned to the gas station to watch Cam open it up for the day.
她得打开灯,启动加油泵,然后就可以开门营业了。
She's gotta turn the lights on, turn the gas pumps on, and we're open for business.
那些就是加油泵吗?
Those were the pumps?
加油泵。
The pumps.
是的。
Yep.
加油泵。
The pumps
我们想了解,汽油价格持续飙升,包括卡姆最近的提价,对他的顾客造成了多大影响。
We wanted to understand just how much this relentless increase in gas prices, including Cam's most recent hike, were hurting his customers.
所以今天这价格是3块99。
So this is this is three ninety nine day.
你觉得人们会注意到今天这20美分的涨价吗?
Do you think that people are gonna notice the 20¢ increase today?
当然。
Definitely.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
从3.79美元涨到3.99美元。
$3.79 to $3.99.
涨幅挺大的。
It's a big jump.
而且,确实会有一些顾客过来,因为我们昨天还便宜20美分。
And, yeah, we'll definitely get some people in here that are and we were just we were 20¢ cheaper yesterday.
怎么回事,卡姆?
Why happened, Cam?
在加油机那边,如果你想聊聊油价的话。
Over at the pumps If you wanna talk about gas prices.
你现在要开始骂人了吗?
You want me to start cussing now,
人们毫不掩饰。
People did not hold back.
这已经失控了。
It's out of hand.
失控了。
Out of hand.
天哪。
Oh my god.
太糟糕了。
It's awful.
这会影响很多人。
This is gonna affect so many people.
我的意思是,真的很令人难过,因为人们已经在艰难挣扎,而这一切本完全没必要发生。
I mean, it's really so sad because people are already struggling and this was just so unnecessary.
现在你付的钱几乎是几周前的两倍了。
It's like you're paying double now than what you was paying a couple weeks ago.
那些靠固定收入生活的人,面对这样的油价很难承受。
People that's on fixed income, they have a tough time with these gas prices.
看,100.98美元,80。
See, a $100.98, 80.
这是一笔非常昂贵的油钱。
That's a very expensive amount of gas.
从来没这么糟过,老兄。
Never been this bad, man.
大多数人没留下来进行长时间的交谈。
Most people didn't stick around for a very long conversation.
他们上了车就走了。
They got back in their car.
他们告诉我们他们
They told us they
得去上班。
had to go to work.
但在那些真正与我们交谈的人中,很明显的是,他们能够极其细致地描述油价对他们的财务状况的影响,以及这些高价已成为对伊朗战争、对特朗普总统本人,乃至对整个美国承诺的一种公投。
But among those who really talked to us, what became clear was just how minutely they could describe gas prices' impact on their finances and how these far prices have become a kind of referendum, a referendum on the war in Iran, on president Trump himself, and really on the entire promise of America.
是的。
Yeah.
我们正在与人们谈论油价。
We're talking to people about gas prices.
如果你有想法的话。
If you have thoughts.
哦,
Oh,
我现在看到的是两点多,现在已经涨到四了。
I've seen them two something now they're at four.
所以
So
是的。
Yeah.
我们认识了一个叫安德鲁的人,和杰克逊维尔的许多人一样,他是一名退伍军人。
We met a guy named Andrew, who, like many people in Jacksonville, is a veteran.
这个地区是重要的军事中心。
The region is a major military hub.
我是大约一年前刚从军队退役的。
So, I mean, I just got out the military about a year ago.
所以,我现在靠的是固定收入之类的东西。
So, like, now I'm on, like, a fixed income type stuff.
所以,看到油价上涨确实对我的生活造成了一点影响。
So, like, seeing the gas prices go up really kinda hinders that a little bit.
而且我们
And Were
你去过伊拉克还是阿富汗吗?
you in Iraq or Afghanistan?
约旦,阿富汗一带。
Jordan, Afghanistan area.
好的。
Okay.
而且,是的,我一看见那个,他们就把直供切断了。
And, yeah, once I saw that, they cut off the straight.
我当时就想,汽油价格又涨了。
I was like, there go the gas prices.
你给车加油时,现在实际要花多少钱?
When you fill your car, what is the actual cost now?
50美元。
$50.
通常只要30美元左右。
That's usually like 30.
这有点儿……
That's kind of
那么,在你生活的这张饼图里,这笔开销是从哪儿冒出来的?
So where has that come from in that pie chart of your life?
通常这笔钱来自我们的食品杂货预算。
Usually it comes from our grocery budget.
因为其他所有开销都是账单,你不能跳过账单。
Because like everything else is like bills, you can't skip bills.
我的意思是,如果我们确实需要,偶尔也会跳过一笔账单,但马上就会补上。
I mean sometimes if we need to, we'll skip a bill, but we'll just go right back to it.
但通常这笔预算都是从我们的食品杂货开销里划出来的。
But usually the allotment comes from our grocery bills.
这会影响你的饮食方式吗?
And does it change how you eat?
是的。
Yeah.
你能举个例子吗?
Can you give me an example?
比如我们会时不时去那些食品银行领取援助,我觉得这些很有帮助。
Like we've been going to those food banks every now and then which help out, I like those.
很多本地教堂都会提供帮助,这挺好的。
Lot of local churches do help out so that's pretty nice.
我有三个孩子,所以我确保他们先吃,通常我们会先给他们准备好食物,然后我和我妻子才会说,好吧,剩下的这些钱,我们来弄点晚餐。
I have three kids so I make sure that they eat first so usually we'll get all their food first and then my wife and I will be like okay we have this much left, let's get us some dinners.
所以有些晚上,我和我妻子不吃,只让他们吃。
So like there's been nights where her and I don't eat and we'll just let them eat.
但我们对此并不在意,因为只要孩子们能吃上饭,我们就没问题。
But we're cool with that because like as long as our kids eat, we're fine.
这真是一个很有意义的牺牲。
That's a really meaningful sacrifice.
我的意思是,他们优先,我们没问题。
I mean they come first, I mean we're fine.
我们能应付得来,但我估计大概一个月后,一切就会慢慢好起来。
We can handle it, but I think I give it a month before all this levels off maybe.
你希望如此吗?
You hope?
我希望如此。
I hope.
是的。
Yeah.
人总可以抱有希望。
One can hope.
我们只需要抽身离开,别卷入其中,让局势自行平息,这根本不是我们的战争。
We just need to pull out and just not be there and just let the straight open up like it's it's not our war.
这跟我们无关?
It's not our war?
这真的不是我们的战争。
It's it's not our war.
谢谢你花时间与我们交流。
Well, thank you for spending time with us.
当然。
Of course.
谢谢。
Thank you.
感谢你的服役。
Thank you for your service.
我很感激。
I appreciate it.
安德鲁因为这场战争而 literally 跳过正餐。
Andrew is literally skipping meals because of this war.
但我们还遇到了一个人,他的经济困境同样紧迫,但他对这场战争以及特朗普为其辩护的理由有着完全不同的看法。
But we also met somebody whose financial pain is just as immediate, but who sees the war and Trump's rationale for it in a totally different light.
我们正在和卡姆一起聊聊油价。
We're hanging out with Cam to talk about gas prices.
他让我们陪他度过了一整天。
He let us spend the day with him.
你叫什么名字?
What's your name?
威廉。
William.
你做什么工作?
And what do do for work?
我经营一家运输公司。
I own a trucking company.
哇哦。
Woah.
所以这很重要。
So you this is important.
你在汽油每加仑4美元的时候从事运输行业。
So you're involved in the trucking business at a time when gas is $4 a gallon.
有些地方汽油已经涨到5块5了,我们这儿都涨到6块和7块了。
Well, is $5 5 in some states, we're paying 6 and $7.
所以很多钱都从你口袋里流出去了。
So a lot of money's coming out of your pocket.
展开剩余字幕(还有 178 条)
每次加油你都要加250加仑。
Well, you're pumping 250 gallons every time you fill up.
是的。
Yeah.
你算算看。
So do the math.
现在一箱油的油费要花1200到1600美元不等。
It's costing anywhere between 1,200 to $1,600 for a tank of fuel now.
哇。
Wow.
但运费却没上涨。
And then the rates have not gone up.
所以你肯定是对这场战争非常不满的典型例子。
So you'd be a strong candidate for being very upset about this war.
我会的。
I would be.
是的。
Yeah.
但我认为这是值得的。
But I think that it's worth it.
我是个特朗普支持者,但让我告诉你,我目前对他有些意见。
I'm a Trumpster, but let me tell you, I have some issues with him at the moment.
但我仍然支持我们在伊朗所做的事情,因为我一生都在关注这件事。
But I still support what we're doing in Iran because I've been watching it all my life.
我70岁了。
I'm 70 years old.
嗯。
Mhmm.
所以我支持,但为了伊朗人民。
So I support it but for the people of Iran.
如果我要支持这场战争,那唯一的目的就是让伊朗人民摆脱这个荒谬的政权。
If I were going to endorse the war, they would be simply to free the Iranian people from this ridiculous regime.
嗯。
Mhmm.
那之后会发生什么?
What happens after that?
谁知道呢?
Who knows?
他们有核武器吗?
Did they have a nuclear weapon?
他们为什么不会有?
Why wouldn't they?
所以我不知道是什么促使他做出这个决定,但我感觉这非常严重。
So I don't know what drove his decision to do this, but I felt like it was very serious.
你知道的?
You know?
所以你相信,如果总统决定美国应该对伊朗发动战争,他一定是掌握了某些信息,并且做出了明智的决定。
So you have faith that if the president has determined that The United States should be involved in a war against Iran, that he knows something and he's made this decision wisely.
我真心相信这一点。
I truly believe that.
是的。
Yes.
他不是那种会随便出手、我认为也不会为了掩盖埃普斯坦文件之类的事情就轻易发动这场行动的人。
He is not one to just go out and, I don't think, to just start this up for you know, to hide the Epstein files or whatever.
我就知道这些。
That's all I know.
我只能告诉你这些。
That's all I can tell you.
所以如果
So if
战争是正当的,那么油价上涨是否是值得付出的小小代价,
the war is justified, is the gas price increase a small price to pay,
还是感觉像
or does it feel like
付出这么大的代价值得吗?
a big price to pay any?
我不认为这是个巨大的代价。
I don't think it's a big price to pay.
我确实担心这方面的商业影响。
I do worry about the commercial end of it.
如果没有援助,或者没有其他办法,我的意思是,很多小型运输公司都不了解自己因价格战而倒闭了多少家。
If there's no assistance or if there's no way to, I mean, a lot of these smaller trucking companies, people don't understand how many have gone out of business from from the rate wars.
明白吗?
Okay?
现在那些幸存下来的公司
Now the ones that survived that
不得不承担汽油价格上涨的负担。
Have to pay the gas prices.
对。
Right.
这会让他们彻底垮掉。
It'll kick them right over the edge.
所以我对此很担忧。
So I am concerned about that.
希望这种情况不会持续那么久。
Hopefully, it won't last that long.
我觉得那边的战争会持续超过四周。
I think the war over there is gonna last longer than four weeks.
你知道的吧?
You know?
但你能负担得起这些油价吗?
But But you can afford these gas prices?
是的。
Yeah.
我负担得起。
I can afford it.
是的。
Yeah.
我不喜欢,但我能负担得起。
I don't like it, but I can afford it.
谢谢您的时间。
Thank you for your time.
是的,先生。
Yes, sir.
谢谢。
Thank you.
祝你们好运。
Good luck to you guys.
尽管价格上涨,威廉目前仍支持总统。
So despite these higher prices, William is standing by the president for now.
但有一群人,他们当初投票给特朗普的主要原因就是承诺降低价格,包括降低汽油价格。
But there's a whole group of people for whom the promise of lower prices, including lower gas prices, was their primary reason for voting for Trump.
所以现在每次去加油都感觉像是一种背叛。
So now every trip to the gas pump feels like a betrayal.
待在这里。
Hanging out here.
我们在讨论汽油价格。
We're talking about gas prices.
难以置信。
Unbelievable.
尤其是当我们以为马上就能享受到更低的汽油价格时。
Especially when we thought we were about to get those lower gas prices.
当我看到油价降到每加仑2美元时,我高兴了几个星期,但现在真难熬。
I was happy for a couple weeks when I was $2 like, it's hard.
包括一位名叫肖恩的女性,她是一名持证的医疗保险代理人。
Including a woman who goes by Sean and is a licensed Medicare agent.
我每小时赚26美元。
I make $26 an hour.
现在你告诉我,为什么给我加油会这么难。
Now you tell me why should it be hard for me to put gas in the car.
所以你只加了6美元?
So you just put $6 in?
6美元。
$6.
为什么这么少?
Why so little?
因为,我的意思是,太贵了。
Because I mean, it was expensive.
那真是贵得离谱。
That was an expensive
现在真的很困难。
it's hard right now.
这正是我想告诉你的,除了杂货和房租之外。
That's what I'm trying to tell you, like, on top of grocery, on top of rent.
因为我的房租每个月就要2000美元。
Because I mean, I pay $2,000 to live every month.
现在我们又在谈汽油的事。
Now we're talking about gas.
我得开车去上班。
I have the ride to work.
明白吗?
K?
我有孙子孙女。
I have grandchildren.
我有两个年迈的父母和我住在一起。
I have two elderly parents that live in my home.
其中一个患有五期肾病。
One of them who has stage five kidney disease.
好吧?
Okay?
我刚带他去做了透析。
And I just took him to dialysis.
所以即使有收入,情况也是这样恶化。
So even with incomes, it's going like this.
你彻底完蛋了。
You're down the drain.
彻底完蛋了。
Down the drain.
你说你对汽油两美元感到兴奋。
You said you were excited for $2 gas.
天哪。
Like Oh my god.
我当时就想,我们真的在这里了。
I was like, we are here.
那是你在总统竞选期间听到的吗?
And was that something you heard from the president in his campaigns?
你是在哪里听到的
Was that where you heard
这个说法的?
that from?
特朗普说我们的汽油价格会下降。
Trump said that we were gonna have lower gas.
那是他承诺过的事情之一。
That was one of the things that he promised.
不幸的是,我投了他一票。
And unfortunately, I voted for him.
作为一名黑人女性,我投票支持他,以为在他的领导下我们的经济会变得极其繁荣。
As a black woman, I voted for this man thinking that our economy is gonna be amazing under him.
是的。
Yeah.
然后呢?
And?
而现在,我真希望我当初没投他。
And now I wish I never did that.
你对他发动这场战争并提高价格感到愤怒吗?
Are you mad that he started this war and raised?
是的。
Yeah.
因为对我来说,现在这甚至已经不再关乎人民了。
Because to me now, it's not even about people no more.
这关乎金钱。
It's about money.
我知道我们身在美国,以为自己是安全的,但其实我们也是战争的受害者。
I know we are in America and we think we're safe, but we're casualties of war.
我们必须开始发声反对那边发生的事,因为如果我们不为他们挺身而出,我们就会成为他们。
We have to start speaking out against what's going on over there because we will be them if we don't stand up for them.
你很生气。
You're upset.
我很难过。
I'm upset.
你在哭吗?
And you're crying?
我很难过。
I'm upset.
你
Do you
觉得你被欺骗了吗?
feel like you were kinda hoodwinked?
是的。
Yes.
我被欺骗了。
I was hoodwinked.
这个人说我们会再次伟大,我确实也看到,在我眼中,我们已经不再是过去的那个美国了。
This man talked about we were gonna be great again, and I did kinda see that in my eyes, we were not the America that we used to be.
所以,好吧,这位男士出现了,他大胆而强势,让我感到振奋,我觉得自己是个好人,但他其实是个披着羊皮的狼。
So, okay, we have this man coming through, and he's bold, and he's powerful, he'd pump me up off of, I'm a good man, but then he really was a wolf in sheep's clothing.
是的。
Mhmm.
我得到了我想要的一切。
I got everything I want.
我得到了你们的选票,现在我要把它彻底摧毁。
I got your vote and now I'm just gonna tear it down.
这一切都只关乎我、我的钱和我那些富有的朋友。
It's all about me and my money and my big rich friends.
所以我很难过。
So I'm upset.
我投错了票。
I made the wrong vote.
我需要每个人都明白我们正在经历什么。
And I need everybody to understand what we're going through.
停吧。
Like, stop.
我们已经不在海滩上了。
We are not on the beach anymore.
把墨镜摘下来。
Take your shades off.
海啸来了,它叫特朗普总统。
The tsunami hit, and it was called president Trump.
我们必须站起来。
We gotta get up.
我是一个自豪的美国人。
I'm a proud American.
非常非常自豪的美国人。
Very, very proud American.
而就在今天,我是一个悲伤的美国人。
And right today, I'm a sad American.
我不太自豪。
I'm not real proud.
我不为我们感到自豪。
I'm not real proud of us.
嗯,
Well
谢谢你的分享。
Thank you for sharing.
保重。
Take care.
所以我认为我们快要把加油站的KMR报告结束了。
So I think we're wrapping up KMR reporting at the gas station.
我想知道你能否预测一下下周的情况,你认为是否还需要继续提价?
And I wonder if you can forecast a little bit in the next week and whether you think you're gonna have to keep raising prices.
要怎样做你才会降价?
What it would take for you to lower them?
我觉得短期内不会降价。
I don't see lowering happening anytime soon.
通常情况下,价格涨得快,降得就慢。
Usually, when it's quick to rise like this, it's slower to lower.
说实话,我觉得我还不需要一周内就把价格提到3.99美元。
I don't think it's gonna take a week for me to have to raise it, honestly, $3.99.
今天上班路上,我经过一家加油站,他们对信用卡支付的汽油标价是4.005美元。
As I was driving into work today, I passed by a gas station charging $4.00 5 for credit card purchases on gasoline.
所以是普通汽油。
So Regular.
普通汽油。
Regular.
那也是一个独立加油站,和我的一样。
And it was an independent as well, same as mine.
大概这个周末,我就得把价格提到4美元以上了。
Probably over the weekend, I'll probably have to go above $4.
至于价格远超4美元的情况,我觉得可能会在4.59美元左右见顶。
And as far as going well beyond $4, I could see it capping around $4.59.
这是我预计的价格上限,我认为。
That's my estimated price cap, I believe.
你是怎么得出这个数字的?
How do you come up with that number?
这可能是我记忆中曾经定过的最高汽油价格了。
That's probably the highest that I remember ever putting my gas prices at.
我希望不会涨到4.59美元。
I hope it doesn't get to $4.59.
我希望别超过4.09美元。
I hope it doesn't go above $4.00 9.
是的。
Mhmm.
但鉴于一切如此不可预测,现状又这么复杂,真的谁也说不准。
But as unpredictable as everything is and what's going on, you just never know.
再次感谢您。
Well, thank you again.
谢谢大家。
Thank you, guys.
感谢你们抽出的宝贵时间
For all the time
来参加这次交流。
you've given us.
非常感谢你们专程前来,和我讨论这个问题。
I appreciate y'all coming out here and talking to me about this.
下次再见。
Till next time.
好的,先生。
Yes, sir.
是的。
Yeah.
我们马上回来。
We'll be right back.
以下是今天您需要了解的其他内容。
Here's what else you need to know today.
他们现在有机会永久放弃核野心,开辟一条新的前进道路。
They now have the chance that is Iran to permanently abandon their nuclear ambitions and to chart a new path forward.
我们将看看他们是否愿意这么做。
We'll see if they wanna do it.
周四,特朗普总统试图加大对伊朗的压力,迫使其进入外交谈判,以结束战争。
On Thursday, president Trump sought to ratchet up pressure on Iran to enter into diplomatic negotiations to end the war.
如果他们不这么做,我们就是他们最可怕的噩梦。
If they don't, we're their worst nightmare.
与此同时,我们将继续毫无阻碍、毫不停歇地彻底打击他们。
In the meantime, we'll just keep blowing them away unimpeded, unstopped.
特朗普最新的威胁是在以色列声称击毙了一名关键的伊朗海军指挥官之际发出的,该指挥官曾领导伊朗试图封锁霍尔木兹海峡,同时以色列也在黎巴嫩扩大了地面行动。
Trump's latest threat came as Israel claimed it had killed a key Iranian naval commander who had led Iran's effort to close the Strait Of Hormuz and as Israel expanded its ground operations in Lebanon.
与此同时,在参议院于周五凌晨投票决定重新开放已关闭数周的国土安全部后,美国机场的危机可能很快就会结束。
Meanwhile, the crisis at America's airports could soon come to an end after the Senate voted early Friday morning to reopen the Department of Homeland Security, which has been shut down for weeks.
这项法案现在将提交众议院,将为国土安全部的所有主要职能提供资金,包括机场安全,但不包括移民执法。
The bill, which now heads to the house, would fund every major DHS operation, including airport security, except for immigration enforcement.
本期节目由安娜·福利和凯特琳·奥基夫制作。
Today's episode was produced by Anna Foley and Caitlin O'Keefe.
由德文·泰勒剪辑。
It was edited by Devin Taylor.
音乐由丹·鲍威尔、黛安·王、阿莉西亚·巴图、马里昂·洛萨诺和切丽·丹尼尔提供。
Contains music by Dan Powell, Diane Wong, Alicia Baitou, Marion Lozano, and Chelsea Daniel.
我们的主题音乐由Wonderly创作。
Our theme music is by Wonderly.
本集由艾莉莎·莫克利负责技术制作。
This episode was engineered by Alyssa Moxley.
以上就是《每日新闻》的全部内容。
That's it for The Daily.
我是迈克尔·比尔巴拉。
I'm Michael Bilbara.
周日见。
See you on Sunday.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。