本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你在这个盒子里给我买了礼物,我感到既紧张又兴奋。
You've bought a present for me in this box, and I feel nervous and excited.
好吧。
Alright.
所以这是一个带有脊髓的人脑。
So this is a human brain with a spinal cord.
真是杰作啊。
Such a masterpiece.
但人们不知道的是,我们大脑有四个不同结构的部分,它们自动塑造了我们的思维、感受和行为方式。
But what people don't know is that we have four different structured parts of our brain that automatically shape how we think, feel, and behave.
但如果这不是无意识的呢?
But what if it's not unconscious?
如果我们能自主选择在任何时刻想要成为的样子呢?
What if we could pick and choose on how we wanna be in any moment on purpose?
就像,可以主动塑造我们的心理健康。
Like, can manifest our own mental health.
而在今天谈话结束时,你会教我如何
And by the end of this conversation today, you're gonna teach me how
做到这一点。绝对可以。
to do Absolutely.
你一定会明白的。
You're gonna so get it.
哈佛神经科学家,博士。
Harvard neuroscientist, Doctor.
吉尔·博尔特·泰勒。
Jill Bolte Taylor.
通过她的研究和自身创伤经历,彻底改变了我们对大脑的理解。
Has transformed how we understand the brain through her research and own traumatic experience.
她正在教导世人如何解锁大脑的每个部分,以重新掌控自己的思想、情绪和行为。
She's teaching the world how to unlock every part of their brain to regain control of their thoughts, emotions, and behavior.
我们有个问题。
We have a problem.
作为一个社会,我们过度偏向左脑的两个部分,它们专注于自我——个体。
We are skewed as a society to the two parts of the left brain, which focuses on me, the individual.
我该如何让自己融入社会?
How do I fit myself into a society?
创伤就藏在那里,渴望和成瘾也是。
And trauma's living in there, as is cravings and addiction.
我们需要这个。
And we need this.
它保护着我们。
It protects us.
但当我们只重视大脑的这一部分时就会陷入困境,看看我们当前生活的世界就知道了。
But we get in trouble when this is the only portion of our brain that we value because look at the world we currently live in.
那么有什么策略能确保你不会付诸行动呢?
So is there a strategy for making sure that you don't act upon it?
很多人试图消除情绪反应,但治愈它的方法不是摆脱它。
Well, so many people are trying to get rid of their emotional reactivity, but the way to heal it is not to get rid of it.
我的意思是,我们天生如此。
I mean, we're wired for this.
为什么我要把自己关在小盒子里说不想承受痛苦。
Why do I just put myself in a little box and say, don't wanna have pain.
我不想生气。
I don't wanna be mad.
我想做个机器人。
I wanna be a robot.
我不想当机器人。
I don't wanna be a robot.
我想成为一个拥有完整大脑的完整人类。
I wanna be a whole human with a whole brain.
就像,这就是生活。
Like, this is life.
它持续这么久然后消逝。
And it lasts this long and then it's gone.
我花了八年时间失去左脑功能才真正意识到这东西有多珍贵。
And it took me losing the left side of my brain for eight years to realize just how how precious this thing is.
那么我该如何不惜一切代价控制和保护我的大脑?
So how do I control and protect my brain at all costs?
嗯,有很多方法。
Well, there's a lot.
那么你准备好了吗?
So are you ready?
我想要些刺激的东西。
I want some hot stuff.
只要给我三十秒时间。
Just give me thirty seconds of your time.
我有两件事想说。
Two things I wanted to say.
首先衷心感谢你们每周都收听我们的节目。
The first thing is a huge thank you for listening and tuning into the show week after week.
这对我们所有人来说意义重大,这真的是我们从未想过也不敢想象的梦想成真。
It means the world to all of us, and this really is a dream that we absolutely never had and couldn't have imagined getting to this place.
我经常看到留言。
I see messages all the time.
其次,这是一个让我们感觉你甚至还没真正开始的梦想。
Secondly, it's a dream where we feel if you didn't even just getting started.
所以,如果你喜欢我们在这里做的事,请加入那24%定期收听本播客并在应用上关注我们的人群。
So And if you enjoy what we do here, please join the 24% of people that listen to this podcast regularly who follow us on this app.
我要向你许下一个承诺。
Here's a promise I'm gonna make to you.
我将竭尽全力让这个节目现在和未来都做到最好。
I'm gonna do everything in my power to make this show as good as I can now and into the future.
我们会邀请你希望我对话的嘉宾,并继续保留你喜爱这个节目的所有元素。
We're gonna deliver the guests that you want me to speak to, and we're gonna continue to keep doing all of the things you love about this show.
谢谢你,Si。
Appreciate you for that, Si.
谢谢。
Thank you.
谢谢。
Thank you.
吉尔·伯特·泰勒博士,您职业生涯致力于理解什么?为什么这很重要?
Doctor Jill Bolte Taylor, what have you spent your professional career endeavoring to understand, and why does it matter?
我对大脑如何构建现实感知充满着迷。
I am fascinated with how does our brain create our perception of reality.
基于此,任何两个人能进行交流本身就是个奇迹。
And based on that information, what a wonder it is any two of us can communicate at all.
我认为我们作为生物体的本质令我着迷。
I think I am fascinated by what we are as biological creatures.
我们大多数人都过于关注外在事物,却错过了自身作为细胞聚合体的奇妙本质。
And most of us are so consumed with everything outside of ourselves that we have missed the wonder of what we are as this biological conglomeration of cells.
我觉得我们简直美极了。
I think we're absolutely beautiful.
要知道,我们每个人来到这个世界时,都没有获得如何做对一切的人生指南。
You know, none of us came into this world with a roadmap about how to get it all right.
而这份指南其实就是脑细胞。
And the road map is the brain cells.
当我们理解了脑细胞的功能、运作方式以及如何保持其健康时,我们就能实现自己的心理健康。
And when we understand the brain cells and what they do and how to work with them and how to keep them well, then we can manifest our own mental health.
你认为普通人能理解大脑吗?
And do you think the average person understands the brain?
在你开始研究大脑之前,你自己理解大脑吗?
Did you understand the brain before you started studying it?
我之所以理解,是因为我有个兄弟被诊断出——后来被确诊患有精神分裂症。
Well, I understood it because I had a brother who was diagnosed would be diagnosed with the brain disorder schizophrenia.
所以我五六岁时就着迷于思考:我们究竟是什么?为什么他会变成这样?
So I became fascinated by five or six about what are we and why is he the way he is?
我们彼此如此不同。
We are so different from one another.
我们对经历的理解也大相径庭。
Our interpretation of our experiences are so different from one another.
我们究竟是什么?
What are we?
我从小就成为了哲学家,痴迷于研究人类的生物学构造和解剖学特征。
I just I just became a philosopher very young and fascinated with the biology and the anatomy of what we are.
你认为对大脑的理解——也就是你今天要向我及观众传达的知识——将如何帮助我改善生活?
What do think an understanding of the brain, the understanding that you're gonna communicate to myself and my audience today, how do you think that can help me improve my life?
天啊。
Oh my goodness.
如果我明白自己哪部分能与外界互动、哪部分擅长处理细节、哪部分井井有条,我就知道如何运用这些特质。
If I understand what part of me interacts with the external world and is smart and is good with details and is well organized, then I know how to use that part.
这就是为什么我们社会普遍偏向于大脑的左脑思维部分。
And that's this we are skewed as a society to that left thinking portion of our brain.
事实上,就传统医学而言,我们大脑的思维部分是唯一真正有意识的部分。
In fact, as far as traditional medicine is concerned, that thinking portion of our brain is the only portion that is actually conscious.
因此我们实际上是用左脑情感组织、右脑情感组织和右脑思维组织来生活,这些都是无意识大脑的组成部分。
So then we live our lives literally with our left emotional tissue, our left our right emotional tissue, and our right thinking tissue, all as part of our unconscious brain.
但如果它并非无意识呢?
But what if it's not unconscious?
如果我们其实知道这些细胞群的功能,那么当我经历过去的痛苦时,就能调用大脑中懂得自我安抚的部分,从而摆脱痛苦、从中学习,最终过上更充实的生活。
What if we actually know what those groups of cells also do so that when I'm experiencing my pain from the past, I can actually call on the portion of my brain that knows how to self soothe me so that I can lift myself out of my pain, learn from those experiences, and then live a more fulfilled life.
这就是当我们明白自己的选择时,决定要以何种身份和方式存在于世的权力。
It's the power to choose who and how we wanna be in the world when we understand what our choices are.
那么是否有可能在特定时刻选择使用大脑的某个部分,一旦
So is it possible to choose which part of your brain to use in a certain moment once
你其实一直都在这么做。
you do it all the time.
只是你可能没有意识到。
You're just probably not aware of it.
假设你要进行一个商务电话。
Let's say you're gonna have a business call.
你准备好了统计数据,整理好资料,拿起电话说:'是的'。
And, you got your stats, and you got your data, and you pick up the phone, and you say, yes.
这位是史蒂夫,然后巴拉巴拉,你开始详述细节。
This Steve is and blah, blah, blah, and you work into your details.
这时突然有人探头进来,比如说一只小狗跑了进来。
And then let's say, someone peeks in to, let's say a little dog comes running in.
好吧。
Okay.
你可能会产生几种反应,潜在的反应。
Well, you're gonna have a couple of responses, potentially responses.
第一种,你会微笑,对吧?
One, you're gonna smile, right?
你刚才就微笑了。
You just smiled.
你刚刚进入了那种状态——哦,我爱我的小绒毛,好吧,现在你变得更温和了,因为你切换到了大脑中另一个对当下开放的区域,现在你整个人都振奋起来了。
You just moved into, oh, I love my little fuzzy and yeah, okay, now, you know, now you're a little gentler because now you shifted into a different portion of your brain that is open to the present moment and now you just got uplifted.
我们大脑有这四个解剖学上、神经解剖学上结构不同的部分,当我们知道自己的选择时,可以在任何时刻决定自己想成为什么样的人以及如何表现。
So we have these four different anatomically, neuroanatomically structured parts of our brain, and we can pick and choose who and how we wanna be in any moment when we know what our choices are.
但作为社会人,我们并不清楚自己的选择,因为我们的大脑功能偏向左脑思维部分,其他部分都在自动运行。
But we don't know what our choices are as our society because we are functioning skewed to that left thinking portion of our brain, and everything else is running on automatic.
左脑思维部分是指更逻辑化的那部分吗?
And the left thinking portion of the brain is the what more logical?
逻辑性、理性、分析性,喜欢控制人、地点、事物。
Logical, rational, analytical, likes to control people's places, things.
有一个关于'我'的定义,以自我为中心的存在。
There's a me definition, ego center of I exist.
我是吉尔·博尔特·泰勒。
I am Jill Bolte Taylor.
这是我的电话号码。
This is my phone number.
这是我的住址。
This is where I live.
我知道自己的边界在哪里,皮肤与空气接触的地方,因为一组细胞告诉我从哪里开始到哪里结束。
I know that this is where I begin and end, where my skin meets air because a group of cells tells me where I begin and end.
但你可能有过心流时刻,比如运动时、做爱时,或者做任何事的时候。
But you've probably had flow moments where you were doing your sports or you were making love or you were whatever you were doing.
而你并非始于此也止于此。
And And you didn't begin and end here.
你曾是广阔开放的,你就是那个充满能量的球体。
You were vast and open, and you were this big energy ball that you are.
但左脑专注于那一小群细胞和技能组,对错善恶,这部分大脑定义了社会规范。
But the left hemisphere focuses on that little group of cells and those skill sets, and the right and the wrong, and the good and bad, and that that portion of the brain defines the social norm.
我们都必须让自己适应社会规范。
And we all have to fit ourselves in the social norm.
但这仅占我们大脑的四分之一。
But it's only a quarter of our brain.
我们目前使用大脑的方式是否让我们不快乐?
Is it making us unhappy the way that we use our brain currently?
嗯,我们失去了平衡。
Well, we're out of balance.
我们完全失衡了,因为我们处于左脑价值的平衡点上。
We're completely out of balance because we're at the balance of the value of that left brain.
右脑正在发生什么?
What's going on in the right brain?
右脑就在此时此地。
The right brain is right here right now.
我们花了太多时间在右脑与左脑的根本差异上。
We spend so much of our time so fundamental differences between the right hemisphere and the left hemisphere.
我深知这点,因为我失去了左脑功能,整整八年只能依靠右脑。
And I know this only because I lost my left hemisphere and that's all I had for eight years.
在左脑细胞受损后,我不得不利用右脑现有功能重建左脑技能,才能完全恢复功能。
I had to use what I had currently going on in my right hemisphere after I lost those cells of the left hemisphere in order to rebuild the skill sets of the left brain so that I could become completely functional again.
我们快乐吗?
Are we unhappy?
嗯,那不是大脑中让人快乐的部分。
Well, that's not a happy part of the brain.
当你进行分析性、条理化和结构化思考时,眉头就会不自觉地皱起来,明白吗?
When you're being analytical and organized and structured, you probably got that frown right there, you know?
而且这种表情和我提到小狗进来时的反应完全不同,突然间你的面部表情就变了。
And and it's a different expression than as soon as I said a little puppy comes in, and then all of a sudden your face happens.
实际上这是你的大脑切换到不同区域的表现,我们都会这样。
Well, what happens is you're shifting into a different part of your brain, and that's what we do.
我们的大脑在自动运行着。
We're running it on automatic.
既然大脑在自动运行,想象一下如果我们能主动选择成为什么样的人,表现会有多好。
So if we are running our brain on automatic, imagine how much better we might do if we were actually picking and choosing who and how we wanted to be on purpose.
你是说这真的能做到吗?
And you're telling me that's possible?
当然可以。
Absolutely.
今天谈话结束前,你要教会我怎么做。
By the end of this conversation today, you're gonna teach me how to do that.
绝对没问题。
Absolutely.
你很快就能掌握,一旦领悟就再也不会忽视这个能力了。
You're gonna so get it, and it will and once you see you, you will no longer ever not see you.
然后你会发现自己内在的四种特质,现在你就能用这种视角观察经常提起的那位伴侣了。
And then you're gonna see these four characters inside of yourself, and now you're gonna be looking at your partner who you speak about often.
你会恍然大悟:原来她身上这四种特质我也都认得出来。
You're And gonna be going, I recognize all four parts of her too.
这意味着在任何关系中,实际上有八种人格特质在互动。
But what that means is that any relationship that we have, there's eight of us.
我们共有八个人。
There's eight of us.
每段关系中都有八种非常特定的人格。
Eight very specific personalities in every relationship.
所以我有四种非常可预测的性格特征,你也是。
So I have four very predictable character profiles as do you.
这是大脑构造的固有方式。
It's the way the anatomy of the brain is built.
你在这个盒子里给我买了礼物。
You've bought a present for me in this box.
是的。
I did.
盒子里是什么?
What is in that box?
这是一个非常特别的带脊髓的大脑。
This is a very special brain with a spinal cord.
这是一个真实的带...
This is a real brain with
这是一个真实的带脊髓的大脑。
This is a real brain with a spinal cord.
一条真实的脊髓。
A real spinal cord.
哦。
Oh.
这个大脑是你的吗?
Do you own this brain?
这是我做的解剖标本,是的。
This I did this dissection, and, yes.
这个大脑是专门捐赠给我用于教学目的的。
This brain was specifically donated to me for educational purposes.
这个人多大年纪?
How old was the person?
什么
What was
四十多岁。
In their forties.
你知道他们是怎么去世的吗?
Do you know how they passed away?
脑癌。
Brain cancer.
那你能看到脑癌的痕迹吗?
And can you see the brain cancer?
你看不到。
You cannot.
除非我把它切开。
Not until I cut this open.
这个大脑我已经保存了十多年,一直没切开过。
And I've had this brain for over a decade, and I haven't cut it open.
能同时拥有大脑和脊髓用于解剖是非常罕见的。
It is very rare to have a dissection, which is actually brain and spinal cord.
通常你只解剖大脑,我们研究大脑结构。
Usually, you dissect the brain, and we learn about the brain.
但我想要同时保留大脑和脊髓,因为这是中枢神经系统,这样的解剖标本非常壮观。
But I wanted to have the brain and spinal cord because that's the central nervous system, and it's a spectacular dissection.
我又紧张又兴奋。
I feel nervous and excited.
兴奋是好事。
Excited's good.
我很兴奋。
I'm excited.
因为你此时此刻就在这里,感叹着'天啊,新鲜事物'。
Because you're right here right now going, oh my gosh, something new.
是啊。
Yeah.
这很令人兴奋。
It's exciting.
此时此刻正是激动人心的时刻。
Right here right now is an exciting time.
你准备好了吗?
Are you ready?
我准备好了。
I am ready.
好的。
Okay.
我要戴上手套吗
Should I put my gloves
?
on?
我建议你这么做。
I encourage you to do so.
好的。
Okay.
所以这是一个真实的人类大脑。
So this is a real human brain.
现在它正浸泡在酒精里。
And right now it is hydrated in rubbing alcohol.
所以就是这个。
So that's what this is.
所以,你不用担心那个。
So, you don't have to be afraid of that.
这是一个真实的人类大脑。
So, this is a real human brain.
脊髓。
Spinal cord.
我想我要做的是把这个移到这边来。
And I think what I'll do is I'll just move this over here.
嗯。
Yeah.
挪开。
Out of the way.
好的。
Okay.
这是一个人类大脑。
So, this is a human brain.
它顶部那层皮是什么?
What's that skin on the top of it?
连着脊髓。
With a spinal cord.
这里的这个东西。
This thing here.
我们待会儿会讲到。
We'll get there.
哦。
Oh.
那么,你听说过脑膜炎吧。
So, you've heard about meningitis.
是的。
Yeah.
这些是位于骨骼和脑组织之间的保护层,起到保护作用。
It's layers that support between the bone and the brain tissue, and it protects it.
这三层结构统称为脑膜。
So, this is called there are three layers called the meninges.
所以当你听说脑膜炎时。
So, when you've heard of meningitis.
这是硬脑膜。
So, this is the dura mater.
它非常坚韧,你能感受到。
It's very tough and you'll feel that.
就像一片特别结实的生菜叶。
It's like a really tough lettuce.
它本质上是将大脑固定在颅腔内并保持其位置。
And this is essentially strapping the brain into the cranial vault and holding it into position.
因为你肯定不希望这东西晃来晃去造成创伤和损伤。
Because you don't want this thing flopping around and having wounding and injury.
所以它是把大脑固定在这里面吗?
So it it straps it into here?
嗯,它是在特定位置固定的。
It well, it straps it in certain spots.
没错。
Yes.
通常在进行解剖时,实际上需要像用螺丝刀那样的工具来将硬脑膜从骨头上剥离。
And generally, often, when you do a dissection, you actually have to put a, like, screwdriver in there to peel the dura off the bone.
所以它会在两个位置固定住。
So it straps it in two positions.
这有点像大脑的胸罩。
It's kinda like a bra for the brain.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
这就是硬脑膜。
So this is the dura.
现在我触摸的这个部位叫做蛛网膜。
And then what I'm touching now is called the arachnoid.
这是脑膜的第二层。
And that's the second layer of the meninges.
你们现在看到的是血管里的血液。
And what you're looking at in there is blood inside of the blood vessels.
大脑如此脆弱的原因之一,就是它的血管薄得透明。
So, one of the things about why the brain is so fragile is the blood vessels are transparently thin.
所以颅腔内这个压力系统必须受到高度调控。
So the pressurized system of what's going on inside of the cranial vault has to be highly regulated.
实际上这是颅腔压力与胸腔压力及腹腔压力之间的平衡。
And it's actually the pressure of the cranial vault versus the pressure in the thorax of the chest and the pressure of the abdomen.
这是一个系统,它们协同工作以保持一切良好调节。
It's a system and they all work together in order to keep everything well regulated.
内稳态,就是细胞感到舒适的状态。
Homeostasis, a state where the cells are happy.
第三层就在这里,你可以看到这层蛛网膜被剥离了,下面我现在触碰的是软脑膜,软脑膜是脑细胞本身的最外层,即脑组织。
And so the third layer is like right here, and it's, you can see this layer is peeled away, the arachnoid, and under here, I'm now touching pia, and pia is the external layer of the brain cells themselves, the brain tissue.
这是一个美丽的大脑,它在我头部的位置是这样的。
So this is a beautiful brain and it would be positioned in my head like this.
大脑的前部、后部向下延伸,垂下来形成脊髓。
So front of the brain, back of the brain, coming down, hanging down as the spinal cord.
当你观察脊髓时,这部分被称为马尾或马尾神经。
And then as you look at the spinal cord, this is called the cauda equina or cauda equina.
这些神经实际上会延伸到你的下肢。
And these are the nerves that are actually going to go down into your lower extremity.
所有要传递到下肢控制身体的信息都由这些神经控制,感觉信息也通过这些神经纤维传入。
So all the information that's going to go down into your lower extremity to control your body is controlled, and the sensory information is coming in through those nerve fibers.
看起来像一捆电线。
Looks like a bunch of wires.
确实如此。
It does.
要知道,从某种角度来说,我们是一台设计精良的机器。
Well, you know, we are quite a well designed machine in its own way.
不同之处在于我们是有机的、生物性的。
The difference is we are organic, we are biological.
我认为社会犯的最大错误之一就是把人类自身视为机器。
And I think one of the biggest mistakes that we make as a society is we think ourselves and we think ourselves as a machine.
压榨它,压榨它,不停地压榨它。
Push it, push it, push it, push it, push push it, push it.
电脑可以这样对待。
Well, you can do that with a computer.
你插上电源,它就会一直工作直到你关机或者它爆炸。
You plug it in and it stays on until you turn it off or it blows up.
我们得去睡觉了。
We have to go to sleep.
是啊。
Yeah.
祝你玩得开心。
Have a good time with that.
是的。
Yes.
没关系。
It's okay.
我们不会伤害它的。
We won't hurt it.
哇。
Wow.
希望如此。
We hope.
天啊。
Gosh.
嗯哼。
Uh-huh.
真美。
Beautiful.
我们的设计,简直是杰作。
Our design, such a masterpiece.
我们是由五万亿个分子天才组成的庞大集合体,构成了我们的形态。
We are this massive conglomeration of 50,000,000,000,000 molecular geniuses making up our form.
真美。
Beautiful.
想想真神奇,现在每个正在听的人都有一个这样的东西。
It's so crazy that every single person listening right now has one of these.
是啊。
Yeah.
它正在处理我的声音,就像你现在听到我说话一样。
That's processing my voice as you're hearing my voice.
没错。
That's right.
对于那些从未摸过大脑的人——我猜在座大多数都是——它的触感就像非常非常柔软但密实的豆腐,你会怎么形容这种感觉?
And it is this for anyone that has never felt a brain before, which I imagine is most of you, it is like this very, very soft but dense sort of tofu y how would you describe the feeling?
烤猪肉。
Pork roast.
烤猪肉。
Pork roast.
不过它非常柔软。
It's very soft though.
你
Do you
知道是什么吗?
know what is?
这让我意识到,是的。
It makes me it makes me realize Yes.
它有多容易受损。
How easy this would be to damage.
这个至少从2008年(可能更早)就泡在酒精或福尔马林里了。
Now this has been in alcohol or formaldehyde for since at least 2,008, probably earlier.
当你刚取出大脑时,它甚至更软。
And when you first pull a brain out, it's even softer.
它就像一块坚韧的果冻。
It's like a it's like a tough jelly.
所以当你首次取出新鲜大脑时,如果用手指戳入组织,它会轻易凹陷,然后当你抽出手指,它又会立刻回弹复原。
So that when you first bring out a fresh brain, if you take your finger and you just poke it into the tissue, it'll squeeze right in, and then you pull your finger out and then it goes It'll scrunch right back together again.
哦,明白了。
Oh, okay.
是的。
Yeah.
这是经过处理的标本,我们必须通过固定蛋白质或脂质结构,才能将其用于教学用途。
So this is a prepared specimen, and we have to do that and lock together the proteins or the lipids in order for us to be able to handle it for educational purposes.
那么这是计算机,而这些是控制身体其他部分的线路吗?
So, this is the computer, and then this is the wires that control the rest of the body?
其实它是系统的一部分,因为你手里拿着的是中枢神经系统。
Well, it's part of the system because this this, what you're holding, is the central nervous system.
然后中枢系统就是全部了。
And then the central all of it.
接着中枢神经系统通过每个椎骨之间传递信号。
And then the central nervous system sends, between each of the vertebrae.
这里可以看到不同的椎骨。
Here you have different vertebra.
不同椎骨之间会有不同的神经分支延伸出来,遍布全身。
Between different vertebra, you will have different nerves coming out and then going around the body.
还会有迷走神经从脑干区域延伸而下进入腹腔,负责内脏器官的调控。
And then you're also going to have vagus nerves coming off of the brainstem area and going down into the abdomen taking care of the viscera.
你第一次见到这样的脑部时
The first time you saw a brain like this
嗯
Mhmm.
它是如何改变你对生活的看法的?
How did it change your perspective of life?
我很喜欢。
I love it.
我很喜欢。
I love it.
我很幸运有一位姑妈,在她那个年代,初入社交界的名媛是不需要工作的。
I was very blessed to have an aunt who was a debutante back in the years where debutantes did not get jobs.
她本想成为一名急诊室医生,但当时根本不可能实现这个愿望。
And she wanted to be an emergency room doctor, but there was no way that she was going to do that.
所以她常常鼓励我捡拾路边的动物尸体,带回家进行解剖。
So she would actually encourage me to pick up roadkill and we would take it home and dissect it.
这很美。
It's beautiful.
看,那个表情,我们有两种反应。
See, that look, we have two responses.
左脑会说:天啊,这太恶心了。
The left brain says, Oh my gosh, this is disgusting.
这是我见过最糟糕的东西。
This is the worst thing I ever had.
这是大脑中负责批判性判断的部分,它会告诉你:不,这不安全。
And that's a part of your brain that's designed to kind of critically judge and say, No, it's not safe.
这不酷。
It's not cool.
快把它推开。
Push it away.
但右脑却会带着好奇心开始运作。
But the right hemisphere comes online with curiosity.
人们看到这些东西时,他们会说,哦,不。
So people see these things and they go, oh, no.
这不是我的菜。
Not my thing.
或者他们会说,天哪。
Or they go, oh my gosh.
那简直太酷了。
That is, like, so cool.
我同时感受到这两种情绪。
I feel both at the same time.
我觉得,我几乎对那个人怀有一种敬意
I feel I feel, I have, like, almost a respect for the person
是的。
Yes.
就是培养出这个大脑的人,这个大脑属于谁。然后我的另一部分则完全被迷住了。
Who grew the brain, whose brain that belongs to And then the other part of me is just like totally fascinated.
几乎就像,当你看着它时,你仍然没有意识到自己脑袋里也有一个这样的东西。
It almost you know, when you look at it, you go you you still don't realize that you have one of those in your head.
是的。
Yes.
现在还没有。
Still don't.
现在。
Now.
所以你仍然把它看作是一回事。
So you're you're still looking at that as that's one thing.
我完全不那么看。
I don't look at it like that at all.
这是一个大脑,但关键在于我们的脑健康,我们的脑功能完全依赖于构成这个大脑的细胞。
This is a brain, but what's important about this brain is our brain health, our brain abilities is 100 dependent on the cells that make up that brain.
所以大多数人,许多神经科学家谈论大脑及其在外部世界中的表现、行为、神经递质系统等等。
So most people, many neuroscientists talk about the brain and how the brain does in the external world and the behavior and the neurotransmitter systems and all of that.
我深入研究细胞的原始数据。
I go down to the raw data of the cells.
因此我是一名细胞神经解剖学家。
So I am a cellular neuroanatomist.
所以我关注构成神经系统的细胞,我们如何与它们互动、建立联系、照料它们、滋养它们,如何为它们提供所需,使其保持健康,从而让我能以健康的方式过全脑生活?
And so I care about the cells making up the nervous system and how we interact with them, how do we relate to them, how do we care for them, how do we feed them, How do we provide for them so that they can be healthy so that I can live a whole brain life in a healthy way?
作为背景,你在哪里完成的博士研究?
For context, where did you do your PhD?
你是在印第安纳州立大学攻读神经解剖学博士学位吗?
You did your PhD in neuro neuroanatomy at Indiana State University?
印第安纳州立大学,我的研究是在印第安纳大学医学院完成的。
Indiana State, and my research was at the IU School of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine.
这就是我专注神经学的地方。
So that's where I focused on neuro.
之后我去了哈佛医学院,做了两个博士后研究,一个是神经生物学,另一个是精神病学。
And then from there I went to Harvard Medical School and did two postdocs, one in neurobiology and then one in psychiatry.
当我说1996年12月10日,那大约是我出生四年后,你37岁的时候。
And when I say the 12/10/1996, which was four years after I was born, roughly, you're 37 years old.
那天发生了什么?
What happened on that day?
能详细描述一下吗?
Can you give me a play by play?
可以。
Yes.
就在前一天,我还在哈佛医学院教书和做研究。
Well, the day before that, I was teaching and performing research at Harvard Medical School.
我是一名大体解剖学家,这意味着我研究尸体、整个身体,还有组织学(研究组织)以及神经学。
And I'm a gross anatomist, which means cadaver, entire body, as well as histology, which is tissue, as well as neuro.
所以我专注于解剖学。
So I'm all about anatomy.
我在哈佛医学院教书并进行研究。
So I teach in and performing research at Harvard Medical School.
第二天醒来时,我的左脑正经历一场大出血。
And, I woke up the next day, and I was experiencing a major hemorrhage in the left half of my brain.
我醒来坐起身,左眼后方立刻传来一阵阵抽痛。
So I woke up, I sat up, and I immediately had a pulsing pound behind my left eye.
通常我不会这样,疼痛非常剧烈,完全吸引了我的注意力。
And, generally, I didn't have that, and it was pretty severe, and it got all of my attention.
我有事发前后的对比。
And I have my before and after.
就是那天早晨前后的变化。
It's before and after that morning.
接下来发生了什么?
What happens next?
所以你左眼后方有抽痛?当时你怎么处理的?
So you've got a pulsing pain behind your left What'd you do then?
我当时想,哇。
Well, I thought, wow.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
这太奇怪了。
That's weird.
那种疼痛就像咬到冰淇淋时的刺痛感。
And it was the caustic pain that you get when you bite into ice cream.
就像那种大脑冻结的感觉。
It's like that freeze brain.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我当时想,好吧。
And I thought, okay.
然后我突然感到一阵虚弱。
And I felt I felt suddenly weak.
我想,好吧。
I thought, okay.
于是我起身,光线刺得我眼睛发疼。
So I got up and light was kind of burning on my eyes.
那天早上我一点都不想要光线。
I didn't want light in the morning that day.
所以我拉上窗帘,想着,让血液流动起来吧。
So I closed the curtains and I thought, well, let's get my blood flowing.
也许我会感觉好一点。
Maybe I'll feel a little better.
于是我跳上了我的有氧滑翔机,那是一台全身锻炼器械。
So I jumped onto my cardio glider, which was a whole body full exercise machine.
我看着自己的手,发现它们像原始动物的爪子一样紧握着横杆。
And I'm looking at my hands, realizing that my hands looked like primitive claws grasping onto the bar.
我看着自己的身体,心想,哇,我看起来真像个怪物。
And I look at my body and I'm thinking, woah, I'm a weird looking thing.
我对现实的感知突然转变了——从认为自己只是正常晨练的人,变成了'哇,我正在旁观自己经历这一切'。
And my perception of reality shifted away from my perception of being the one on the machine, having my normal morning experience to, Wow, I was witnessing myself having this experience.
这种情况以前从未发生过。
And I'd never had that happen before.
我当时想,好吧,这样没用。
And I thought, Okay, so this isn't helping.
于是我离开机器,走向客厅的桌子。
So I get off the machine and I head across my living room table.
我意识到每个动作都非常僵硬且精确。
And I'm realizing every movement is very rigid and very precise.
实际上我像是在指挥自己行动。
And I'm actually kind of directing.
我感觉自己像机器人一样走进了浴室。
I felt very robotic getting into the bathroom.
我记得打开水龙头时,水流冲击浴缸的声音在我脑中轰鸣回荡。
So I remember pulling on the water and when the water came out, it smashed into the tub and the volume just reverberated in my brain.
声音大得惊人,被放大的声波把我推到了墙上。
It was so loud, the sound was amplified, and it pushed me against the wall.
但当声浪袭来时——我可是神经解剖学家。
But when the volume hit, I'm a neuroanatomist.
这意味着我教授学生所有关于这里的解剖学知识,哪些神经纤维从哪里来又去向何方,以及所有传导路径。
So what that means is that I'm teaching students about all of the anatomy here and which fibers are coming in and going where and what is the tracks of everything.
声音通过耳朵传入,直接到达我们脑干的脑桥区域。
And so sound comes into the ears and it goes right down to the pons region of our brain down here.
这里维系着生死存亡。
And this is where life and death is.
这些细胞若要保持呼吸功能,必须依赖脑桥和延髓的正常运作。
This is where those cells, if you're gonna inspire, you need your pounds and your medulla in order to have those cells functioning.
所以当我的这些部位受到干扰时,我立刻意识到:出问题了。
So when mine were being disturbed, that was the moment I realized, I've got a problem.
这是个严重的问题。
This is a grave problem.
这可能会要了我的命。
This could kill me.
于是我走出淋浴间。
So I got out of the shower.
我机械地穿上衣服,只是穿上了而已。
I dressed mechanically, just dressed.
我还是要去上班。
I'm still going to work.
接着我的右臂完全瘫痪垂在身侧。
And then my right arm went totally paralyzed by my side.
当肢体瘫痪时感觉真的很奇怪。
And it's really strange when a limb goes paralyzed.
它不只是垂下来,而是像炸弹一样坠下。
It doesn't just like drop down, it goes bomb.
我的意思是,那是个沉重的实体。
I mean, it's a heavy entity.
我想,天啊,瘫痪了。
And I thought, oh my gosh, paralysis.
天啊,我中风了。
Oh my gosh, I'm having a stroke.
然后我想,好吧,你知道吗,天啊,有多少脑科学家有机会从内到外研究自己的大脑呢?
And then I'm thinking, okay, you know, oh my gosh, how many brain scientists have the opportunity to study their own brain from the inside out?
我真的想过,好吧,我就经历一两周的中风,然后就能重返工作岗位了。
And I literally thought, okay, I'll do this stroke thing for a week or two, and then I'll get back to my job.
对吧?
Right?
所以接下来就是,我必须寻求帮助。
So then it was a matter of, I have to get help.
我必须与外界沟通。
I have to communicate with the external world.
问题在于出血发生在我大脑左侧的思维区域,那里正是语言中枢所在。
And a problem was that the hemorrhage was happening inside of the left thinking portion of my brain, which is where language is.
于是我恍惚了四个小时。
So I was drifting for four hours.
我在当下意识的边缘时进时出。
I was drifting in and out of the consciousness of the present moment.
而在当下这一刻,我不知道自己是谁。
And the present moment, in the present moment, I don't know who I am.
我不知道自己是什么。
I don't know what I am.
我只知道当下存在的一切。
All I know is what's in the present moment.
请为我解释一下。
So explain that for me.
是啊。
So Yeah.
你大脑的左侧 嗯。
The left side of your brain Mhmm.
就是中风发生的部位。
Was where the stroke was happening.
是的。
Yes.
确实如此。
It was.
所以你当时处于右脑状态。
So you were in the right side of your brain.
我犹豫不决是因为它在不断生长。
I was waffling back and forth because it was growing.
它最初很小。
It started small.
所以我患上了我们所说的动静脉畸形,动脉作为高压系统,将血液输送到系统中。
So, I had what we call an arteriovenous malformation, where an artery, which is a high pressure system, it's bringing blood into the system.
然后还有静脉,静脉是无压或低压系统。
And then I have a vein and the vein is a no pressure, low pressure system.
在它们之间还有这些细小的毛细血管网络。
And then we have these little capillary networks in between.
是的。
Yeah.
这是缺血性中风。
This is an ischemic stroke.
我患的是出血性中风。
I had the hemorrhagic stroke.
当人们想到中风时,大多数人会认为是血栓。
So when you think about stroke, most people think, oh, blood clot.
血栓会阻塞动脉,而动脉会逐渐变细、变细、再变细,直到毛细血管级别,红细胞会排成单列通过这里。
And the blood clot blocks a So the thing about arteries is they taper, taper, taper, taper, taper until they get down to the capillary level, which is where the red blood cells kinda line up in single file and pass through that.
这是一个非常低压的系统。
And it's a very low pressure system.
然后血液会被静脉重新吸收。
And then it absorbs back up into the vein.
而我患的是出血性中风,血管爆裂了。
Well, what I had was the hemorrhagic stroke and a blood vessel exploded.
当血管爆裂时,血液会流入细胞外基质,即在细胞之间的空间,细胞无法正常运作,血液对细胞通讯来说本质上是有毒的。
And when it exploded, then the blood goes out into the extracellular matrix, which is extracellular between the cells and the cells cannot function, blood is essentially poison to cellular communication.
所以情况不妙。
So it's no good.
无论血液流向何处,那些细胞都会开始停止运作。
And whatever blood, wherever it goes, those cells start going offline.
随着时间推移,脑内出血范围扩大,越来越多的细胞会丧失功能。
And then as that hemorrhage grows inside of the brain across time, more and more cells are becoming incapacitated.
所以你当时完全记不起该如何正确说话,无法
So you were in that moment unable to remember how to speak properly, unable to
什么都没有。
Nothing.
我什么都感受不到。
I had nothing.
我甚至感觉不到自己的存在。
I didn't even have me.
我感受不到吉尔·泰勒的存在,因为她存在于左脑半球。
I had no Jill Bolte Taylor because she was over in the left hemisphere.
最终整个左脑半球浸泡在血泊中,完全丧失了功能。
And eventually, that whole hemisphere ended up swimming in a pool of blood and was nonfunctional.
但这个过程持续了四个小时。
But it took four hours to get there.
于是我逐渐沉浸在当下的极乐狂喜中。
So I was waffling into the present moment, blissful euphoria.
我不复存在。
I didn't exist.
我能知道自己是谁、确认自己存在,全靠左脑半球里一小簇负责自我认知的细胞。
I I know who I am and that I exist at all because I have a tiny little group of cells inside of my left hemisphere that tells me who I am.
你有没有因为频繁出差,在酒店醒来时完全不知身在何处的经历?
Have you ever awakened in a hotel somewhere because you've traveled so much and you're going, where am I?
是啊。
Yeah.
对啊。
Yeah.
有片空白。
There's this blank.
对吧?
Right?
就是,我也说不清,但这床很舒服,你看这房间多好。
And it's like, I don't know, but the bed's comfy, you know, what a nice room.
突然间,你就完全活在当下,不纠结过去,不担忧未来,只专注于此时此刻。
You know, and all of a sudden, you're just right here right now, and you're not about the past, and you're not about the future, and you're just in the present moment.
快乐就存在于当下。
And joy lives in the present moment.
爱也存在于当下。
Love lives in the present moment.
欢笑同样存在于当下。
Laughter lives in the present moment.
当下是个美妙的地方,我们大脑有整整一半天生就为此而生。
The present moment is a fantastic place, and we are wired to that by literally half our brain.
那我们为什么不多花时间在这里呢?
So why wouldn't we spend more time over here?
至少保持平衡吧。
Or at least balance it out.
这就是我全部的诉求。
That's all I ever ask for.
我来这里不是为了挥舞右脑半球的大旗。
I am not here to, you know, waving the flag of the of the right hemisphere.
我想要全脑生活。
I want a whole brain living.
我希望人们能理解大脑的不同部分及其功能,这样就能明白,好吧。
I want people to understand the different parts of their brain, what they do, so that it says, okay.
比如说,你会冥想吗?
So let's say, do you meditate?
有时候。
Sometimes.
好的。
Okay.
有时候。
Sometimes.
对你来说是什么感觉?
What's it like for you?
很难。
Difficult.
好的。
Okay.
为什么?
Why?
因为你会开始想各种事情。
Because the you start thinking about stuff.
好的。
Okay.
因为你大脑的这个部分静不下来。
Because this part of your brain won't be quiet.
左边是那个
Left is that the that's
左脑思考。
left thinking brain.
是啊。
Yeah.
我们是语言。
We're languages.
它不会安静。
It won't be quiet.
或者,你刚刚和你的爱人发生了点小争执,所以现在你处于情绪系统中,感觉不太平静,上了飞机后事情也不太顺利。
Or, you just had a little argument with your with your sweetheart, and so down here now, you're in your emotional system, and you're not really feeling peaceful, and you got on that airplane, and things weren't, like, perfectly smooth.
所以你现在有点,你知道的,反复想着,天啊天啊天啊之类的。
So now you're kinda, you know, ruminating about, you know, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, you know, and whatever.
这让你脱离了当下。
And that takes you away from the present moment.
但当下并不关乎我这个个体。
But the present moment is it's not about me, the individual.
我这么想着——所以我观察大脑。
I think about this the the so I look at the brain.
它被划分为四个类别,解剖结构非常明确。
It's divided in four categories, very specific anatomically.
每个类别都对应着一系列技能组合。
Each one of those result in a constellation of skill sets.
而这些技能组合实际上在我们的生活中表现为个性。
And then that constellation of skill sets actually manifests in our lives as personalities.
我们每个人都具备这四种。
And we all have all four.
那么,我们是否都在实践这四种呢?
Now, do we all practice all four?
不。
No.
我们中有些人会。
Some of us do.
我们通常有一个主导的。
We usually have a dominant.
你似乎非常喜欢你的左脑思维。
You seem to like your left thinking brain a lot.
你什么时候会找乐子?
When do you have fun?
史蒂夫平时怎么消遣?
What does Steve do for fun?
就这个。
This.
这个?
This?
不是。
No.
还有,我会看曼联队比赛,然后我
Also, I watch I watch Manchester United play and I
你举重吗?
You lift weights?
是的。
Yeah.
对你来说那是什么感觉?
What's that like for you?
对你来说是工作还是让身体焕发活力?
Is it work or is it refreshing to be in your body?
哦,当我在健身房时,确实如此。
Oh, when I'm at the gym, it's yeah.
就是完全沉浸在自己的身体里,没错。
It's I'm just in my body, which is yeah.
好的。
Okay.
但不只是这样。
But no, not just but.
当你在健身房时,你是全身心投入的。
When you're at the gym, you're in your body.
现在,你能在脑海中找回那种感觉吗?
Now, can you go back in your own mind and have that feeling?
我可以吗?
Can I?
可以。
Yes.
怎么做?
How?
嗯,在脑海中回到那个场景。
Well, go there in your mind.
我确实想象自己站在最爱的健身房跑步机上的样子,回忆那种感觉,然后有那么一瞬间那种感受又浮现在脑海中。
I actually imagined myself on the treadmill at my favorite gym and how that felt, and I had a brief moment of that feeling emerge in my mind.
那是什么感觉?
And what did it feel like?
专注当下。
Present.
专注当下。
Present.
是的。
Yes.
好的。
Okay.
你还能联想到其他什么情绪吗?
And any other emotions that you can attach to that?
就像平静、安宁,无忧无虑。
Just like calm, peaceful, without without concern.
非常活在当下。
Very present.
对。
Yeah.
非常活在当下。
Very present.
是啊。
Yeah.
嗯。
Yeah.
对。
Yeah.
所以当下对你来说是个美好的状态。
So the present is a nice place for you.
没错。
Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
你还会做些什么来达到那种状态?
What else do you do to get there?
按摩。
Massages.
按摩。
Massages.
你接受按摩。
You receive massages.
是的。
Yeah.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
那你的大脑会发生什么变化?
And what happens to your brain?
你会分析即将发生的事情然后拼命工作吗?
Do you analyze what's coming and just work your butt off?
还是你允许自己真正放松,进入当下那种'天啊,我太高兴能在这里'的状态?
Or do you allow yourself to actually drift and shift into the present moment of, oh my gosh, I'm so glad I'm here.
我允许自己放松。
I allow myself to drift.
很好。
Good.
你会去哪里?
Where do you go?
我不知道。
I don't know.
就像一片模糊的中间地带。
It's like a fuzzy middle ground place.
是的。
Yes.
没有边界。
No boundaries.
某种过渡状态。
Some kind of limbo.
大脑的这个部分将决定你作为个体的身份。
This portion of the brain up here is gonna be the part that says who you are as an individual.
这是你的自我中心。
It's your ego center.
这个半球,左半球,呈现的是以你为中心的自然图景,因为你的存在基于左半球。
This hemisphere, the left hemisphere, has the picture of nature with you in the middle because you exist in your left hemisphere.
这就是世界围绕你转的地方。
That's where the world revolves around you.
世界围绕着你旋转。
The world revolves around you.
在右半球里,你甚至不存在。
In the right hemisphere, you don't even exist.
你只是万物存在的一部分。
You exist as a part of it all.
所以你听到的会与你闻到的、感受到的交织在一起,融汇成充满可能性的兴奋感。
So what you hear gets integrated with what you smell, with what you feel, gets integrated in the excitement of possibility.
因此我不是按计划行事。
So I'm not working from a plan.
我没有活在过去。
I'm not in the past.
我不在未来。
I'm not in the future.
我不全是关于我自己。
I'm not all about me.
我只是在这里。
I'm just here.
所以当你躺在按摩台上,让自己进入模糊状态时,这本质上就是右脑正在运用的技能。
So when you're on a table, massage table, and you're allowing yourself to go fuzzy, that's essentially the skill set of what's going on in the right hemisphere.
你跳进水里时会游泳吗?
When you dive into water, you swim?
不,不太会。
Not not not well.
好的。
Okay.
但你会跳进水里吗?
But do you dive into water?
我会。
I do.
是的。
Yes.
好的。
Okay.
或者哪怕只是在淋浴时。
Or even just in the shower.
对。
Yeah.
当你跳入水中时,你会感受到水压在你身上的压力,水的温度,以及那种湿润的触感。
When you feel when you dive in the water and you feel the water, the pressure against your body, the temperature of the of the water, you feel the phenomenon of wetness.
这是一个当下体验的机会,跃入水中。
This is a present moment experiential opportunity, Diving into the water.
现在,很多人跳水可能是因为我在比赛,整个目标就是到达终点,因为我左脑在运作,那就是目标。
Now, a lot of people might dive in the water because I'm racing and the whole goal is to get to the end because I got that left brain thing going on and it's that's the goal.
但如果我只是存在,你知道,你是在存在还是在行动?
But if I'm just being, this is, you know, are you being or are you doing?
对吧?
Right?
当我们存在时,我们只是单纯地在这里。
When we're being, we're simply being here.
我们活着。
We're being alive.
我们觉知着。
We're being aware.
我们处于体验中。
We're being in experience.
所以当我观察这个房间时,我看到了整个房间。
So, as I take in this room, I take in this whole room.
我的左脑说,我要专注于你。
My left brain says, I'm gonna focus on you.
我还有这些书。
And I got these books.
我有这些东西,有大脑,一切都是一件件物品。
I've got these things, and I got the brains, and everything, and everything's a thing.
但对右脑来说,所有事物都是一体的。
But to the right brain, everything is one thing.
当我明白自己可以摆脱左脑的压力回路——那个不断喊着‘更多皮质醇,更多皮质醇,做做做’的声音时,右脑就是那个暂停键。
And when I live my life, knowing that I can shift out of the stress circuitry of that left brain that says, more cortisol, more cortisol, do, do, do, then when I that's the push, the right brain is the pause.
这就是我之前所说的,我们不是机器人,不是电脑,我们是生物体。所以我们不能像插上电源就永远运行,直到报废再换个新的那样。
And that's why I was saying before, we're not a robot, we're not a computer, we are a biological And so we don't plug ourselves in and turn it on and it stays on forever until it dies and then we buy a new one.
我们有自己的节律。
We have rhythms.
我们遵循自然规律,需要张弛有度。
We have natural patterns and we have to push and we have to pause.
我们必须休息,因为我们是五万亿个分子天才组成的系统,既要进食也会产生废物,需要清理这些代谢垃圾。
And we have to pause because we are 50,000,000,000,000 molecular geniuses that are eating and creating waste, and we need to clean up the mess.
这就是睡眠时发生的事。
And that's what happens during sleep.
所以当你站在那里时,你会穿上衣服。
And so when you were stood there, you'd put your clothes on.
你的左脑处于离线状态。
The left side of your brain was offline.
所以你完全沉浸在这种极乐、欣快、当下的状态中。
So you were very much in this sort of blissful, euphoric, present moment state.
你接下来做了什么?
What did you do next?
我...我仔细考虑过所有寻求帮助的方案。
I I go through all the details of trying to get myself help.
对我来说,唯一能在重新陷入右脑欣快感(那种纯粹快乐、活在当下、毫无计划的状态)之前实施的方案。
And that meant to me, the one plan I could get between shifting back out into the euphoria of my right hemisphere where I'm just happy, I'm just there, and I don't have a plan.
你为什么没打911?
Why didn't you call 911?
因为电话就像漂浮在血泊中。
Because it was this floating in a pool of blood.
它不在我能触及的地方。
It wasn't there for me.
你是什么意思?
What do mean?
嗯,当你看到我出血发生的位置时,它就发生在这里。
Well, when you look at where my hemorrhage happened, it happened.
所以,声音和语言的产生——比如‘狗’这个词,‘狗’是一个声音,它会从布洛卡区产生。
So, the creation of sound and language dog, dog is a sound, it's gonna come out of Broca's area.
而这里的韦尼克区会给那个声音赋予意义。
And then Wernicke's area back here is gonna place meaning on that sound.
我的出血影响了整个这片区域。
And my hemorrhage was impacting this whole area.
在语言功能里还包含着数字处理能力。
And in there with language is numbers.
911这个数字对我来说不存在。
911 didn't exist for me.
这不是一个可选项。
It was not an option.
你能记得911吗?
You can remember 911?
对我来说它不存在。
Didn't exist for me.
就像我问你,8,322乘以4,000,000等于多少?
It'd be kinda like I say to you, what's 8,322 times 4,000,000?
在你算出来之前,这个数字对你来说是不存在的。
It doesn't exist for you until you figure it out.
64000374。
A 64000374.
我正在核对。
I'm checking.
我正在检查。
I'm checking.
没错。
Exactly.
所以911对我来说不存在。
So 911 didn't exist for me.
所以当我重新回到左脑意识时,我不得不拿起电话,这里有个电话键盘,我花了45分钟在左右脑之间摇摆不定。
So I had to when I would come back into the left hemisphere consciousness, then I would I got to my phone and I put have a phone pad here, and I spent forty five minutes waffling in and out, right hemisphere, left hemisphere.
最后,我找到了印有工作电话的名片。
And finally, I found my business card that had my phone number at work.
我不得不把电话键盘紧贴着名片摆放,通过匹配那些弯曲的线条形状来弄清楚如何拨打办公室电话,因为我完全不知道数字是什么。
And I had to set the phone pad up against right next to the business card and match the shapes, the squiggles, in order to figure out how to call my office because I had no idea what numbers were.
当对方接听时你说了什么?
And what did you say when the person answered on the other end?
我说,我是吉尔。
I said, this is Jill.
我需要帮助。
I need help.
从我嘴里说出来的话是。
And what came out of my mouth was.
然后我想,天啊,我听起来像只金毛犬。
And then I thought, oh my god, I sound like a golden retriever.
接着他对我说话,我想,天啊,他听起来也像只金毛犬。
And then he spoke to me and I thought, oh my god, he sounds like a golden retriever.
我以前养过金毛,它们很会表达。
I had had a golden retriever and they're very verbal.
所以那一刻我明白了,我之所以知道是因为我还能听到自己大脑里的语言。
So I knew at that point, I did not know because I could still hear myself, my language inside of my brain.
语言在这方面非常复杂,因为不同的细胞承担着不同的功能。
Language is very complex in this because different cells do different things.
而在这个负责思维的左脑部分,我们能阅读,能书写。
And in this left thinking portion, we can read, we can write.
这些是完全不同的神经回路。
Those are completely different circuitries.
我们能说话。
We can speak.
我们也能理解他人所说的话。
We can uncomprehend when others speak.
我是说,这很复杂。
I mean, it's complex.
所以这是个异常繁忙的区域。
So this is a busy, busy, busy place.
但只要我们只重视大脑的这个部分,我们就会基于该脑区的价值观生活。
But as long as this is the only portion of our brain that we value, then we live based on the values of that portion of the brain.
而这个脑区重视的就是'我和我的'。
And what that brain values is me and mine.
我还想要更多。
And I want more.
这就是我们所处的世界。
And that's the world we're living in.
这很自私。
It's selfish.
确实如此。
Well, it certainly is.
因为人们谈论当下社会正经历的精神危机,你描述的许多现象——个人主义、自恋倾向、反社会人格,以及世界领导人在处理经济问题和对待他人时表现出的零和思维。
Because people talk about there being a spiritual crisis in society at the moment with many of the things you're describing, the individualism, the narcissism, sociopathism, the leaders of the world being very zero sum in how they approach economies and how they treat others.
你是说那是因为我们太
You're saying that's because we're so
就在那里。
Right there.
这边是在右侧。
Over here is On the right side.
在右侧。
On the right side.
它就在这里,就在此刻。
It's right here, right now.
而此时此刻,我在乎什么?
And in the right here, right now, what do I care about?
我在乎联系,因为我不是孤立的个体。
I care about connection because I'm not individualized.
在这里,我是整体的一部分。
Here, I'm a part of the whole.
我就是。
I am.
我们都站在这颗美丽的星球上,而我,人类,与所有其他生物、其他生命以及地球的生命都是平等的。
We are all standing around this beautiful planet, and I, man, is equal to all the other creatures and all the other life and to the life of the planet.
在这里我们是一个整体构造。
We are one construct here.
我们要么学会如何滋养、支持并成为一体。
And we either figure out how to nurture and support and be one thing.
我们是一个人类大家庭。
We are one human family.
在我们右半球里,你是我的兄弟。
In our right hemisphere, you are my brother.
我爱你。
I love you.
我能支持你。
I can support you.
我能滋养你。
I can nurture you.
我能鼓励你,因为你是我的一部分。
I can encourage you because you're a part of me.
然后左脑上线了,说,哦,吉尔,你说这种话太不合适了。
And then the left hemisphere comes online and says, oh, Jill, that is so inappropriate for you to say.
他有他的个人空间,我有我的个人空间,我们需要保持正式,需要分清对错好坏,需要建立社会规范的结构,让我们把所有的一切都塞进去,这样才能彼此沟通,运转这个世界。
And he has his body space, and I have my body space, and we need to be formal, and we need to right and wrong, and good and bad, and we need to establish how the construct of the social norm is that we are now going to take the mass of all that we are and fit ourselves in that so that we can communicate with one another and run a world.
你打那个电话。
You make that phone call.
是啊。
Yeah.
你听起来像只金毛犬。
You sound like a golden retriever.
接下来发生了什么?
What happens next?
你的同事
Does your colleague
认出了那是我。
get to recognizes that it is me.
就是我。
It is I.
然后他来到我家。
And he comes to my home.
那时候我们实行的是管理式医疗,必须去指定医院才能获得报销。
And back in those days, we had, managed care, so you have to go to the right place or you don't get coverage.
于是他带我去了那里,他们给我的大脑拍了片子,然后用救护车把我送到了麻省总医院。
So he took me there, and then they took a picture of my brain, and then they put me in an ambulance and sent me to Mass General Hospital.
我仍然蜷缩成胎儿般的姿势,心里默念着:坚持住,再坚持一会儿。
And I'm still curled up in a little fetal ball going, Hold on, hold on.
我感觉自己正在逐渐衰弱,意识到自己变得越来越虚弱。
And I was slowing down and I knew that I was becoming weaker and weaker.
我不禁想,一个人究竟要与自己的身体能力疏离到什么程度,才会永远无法回到这副小小的躯壳里?
And I wondered how detached from my own ability, my own body can a person become before they can never get back inside this tiny little body?
因为我当时真切地感觉自己像宇宙一样浩瀚无边。
Because I felt that I was literally energetically as big as the universe.
那次扫描结果显示了什么?
And what did that scan show?
结果显示有
It showed a
左脑半球有大面积出血。
Major hemorrhage in the left half of the brain.
对,大概就是那个大小。
Yeah, about that size.
实际上那天的情况比这还要严重些。
Actually, was a little bigger than that on that day.
两周半后他们取出了一个高尔夫球大小的血块——这就是为什么我们准备了个高尔夫球——从我的左脑取出的,那天是12月27日。
Two and a half weeks later when they removed, that's why we have a golf ball, a golf ball sized blood clot from the left half of my brain, two and a half weeks later, December 27.
后来我醒来时,发现脑部有严重出血。
And then I woke up and I had this huge hemorrhage.
我是说,我头上留下了很大的疤痕,这时母亲冲进来对我说:跟我说话。
I I mean, I had this huge scar, but my mother comes rushing in and she says, Speak to me.
对我说说话。
Speak to me.
因为这是我的语言。
Because this is my language.
如果我的语言细胞消失了,我将失去语言能力。
If my language cells are gone, I will have no language.
而我将在余生中为语言苦苦挣扎。
And I will struggle the rest of my life for language.
我轻声告诉她,我好多了。
And I whispered to her, I'm better.
我好多了。
I'm better.
我说'我好多了'的意思是,我又感受到了光明。
And what I meant by I'm better was that I felt bright again.
我感受到了光明。
I felt bright.
我觉得无论生活在那时给我什么,都带着光亮。
I felt like whatever life was gonna give me at that point in time, had brightness.
我还活着。
I was still alive.
那天我没有死。
I did not die that day.
你知道,当那么多人问,怎么可能?
And when, you know, so many people have said, how?
是什么激励你康复的?
What motivated you to get better?
或者你怎么能如此快乐?
Or how could you have been so happy?
那天,我仿佛经历了一次重生。
And it was like, I did not die that day.
这意味着无论我残疾到什么程度——不能行走、说话、阅读、书写,甚至记不起自己的人生。
And that meant no matter how disabled I was, I could not walk, talk, read, write, recall any of my life.
37岁的我,退化成了女人躯壳中的婴儿。
I became an infant in a woman's body at the age of 37.
我从哈佛的天梯上彻底跌落,但这一切都不重要了。
I completely fell off the Harvard ladder and none of that mattered.
唯一重要的是我还活着。
All that mattered was I was alive.
这意味着我拥有成长、疗愈和重塑自我的无限可能。
And what that meant was I had the potential to grow and heal and become whatever I would become.
其他都无关紧要。
And it didn't matter.
至今依然如此。
And it still doesn't matter.
重要的是我活着。
What matters is I'm alive.
这就是生命的馈赠。
It's the gift of life.
对我而言,这正是生命体最惊人的奥秘所在。
And that's for me the wonder of what we are as living beings.
要知道,我们正身处心理健康危机时代,而心理健康完全取决于大脑的健康状态。
And we, you know, we are at a time where we are in a mental health crisis and our mental health is 100 dependent on the health and well-being of the brain.
而大脑的健康又百分百依赖于脑细胞的活力。
And the health and well-being of the brain is 100% dependent on the health and the well-being of the brain cells.
那么我们该如何滋养这些细胞、珍爱这些细胞?唯有如此,我们才能活出理想人生——在喜悦中生活,在当下存在,感受与宇宙生命伟力的联结。这副神奇的左脑赋予我语言能力,让我有效融入社会,也让我从过往伤痛中学习成长,避免重蹈覆辙。
So how do we nurture those cells and love those cells so that we can live the life we wanna live and we can live in joy, we can live in present, we can live feeling connected to something that magnificent as a life force power of the universe, and have this magnificent left brain that allows me to have language, allows me to be a part of society in an effective way, and allows me to have pain from my past so I can learn and grow from experiences that have happened to me that I would rather not repeat.
当你回忆这一切时,内心正经历着怎样复杂的情感波动?
What is the complex range of emotions you're experiencing as you recount this
噢,对生命充满如此敬畏。
to Oh, feel such awe for life.
生命。
Life.
这就是生命。
This is life.
这是拉里的生命,而死亡也存在。
This is Larry's life and there is death.
而我们拥有生命。
And we have life.
生命是宇宙奇迹般的构造。
And life is the miracle construction of the universe.
尽管争论不休,进行无数次讨论,分析到极致。
Argue about it all you want, have a million conversations about it, analyze it to death.
但事实是此刻你正活着。
But the fact of the matter is you are alive in this moment.
你活着。
You are alive.
你可以说自己有能看的眼睛,能听的耳朵,有吸收营养的消化道,有灵巧的双手,能自由移动,有双腿可以环游地球,还有这非凡的头脑让你能做想做的事。
You can say you have eyes that can see, and ears that can hear, and you have a digestive tract that can bring in nutrition, and you have manual dexterity, and you have mobility, you have legs that can run around the planet, and you have this magnificent mind so that you can do what you wanna do.
你是个奇迹。
You are a miracle.
而我们已忘却这点。
And we have forgotten that.
对我而言,这次中风经历直接让我回归大脑中那个正确思考的区域,那个让我在蜕变与超越体验中连接的部分,意识到自己远不只是地球上奔忙的渺小人类。
And for me, it took me, this whole stroke experience took me straight back to the part of my brain, that right thinking part that connects me in that transformation or that transcendence experience of being so much more than just a little human being running around the planet.
天啊。
Oh my gosh.
生命就是这样的奇迹。
Life is this miracle.
它让我感到敬畏与惊奇。
And it makes me feel awe and wonder.
这让我无比兴奋。
It excites me so much.
如果每个人都能拥有、认识到、理解并把握这一点,想象我们将生活在一个多么不同的世界。
And if everybody had that and recognize that and could grasp that and hold that, imagine the different world we'd be living in.
八年
Eight years
八年。
Eight years.
的康复。
Of recovery.
是的。
Yes.
每一天,每一次呼吸,每一件事,我什么都不想,只想我能做什么,以及阻碍我做下一步想做的事的因素是什么,如何利用右脑重建神经回路?
Every day, every breath, every everything, I thought of nothing else other than what can I do and what's in the way of being able to do what I wanna do next and rebuilding using what I had in the right hemisphere to rebuild the circuits?
我知道我有语言能力。
I knew I had language.
我知道我能说话。
I knew I could speak.
我知道我有词汇量。
I knew I had vocabulary.
我知道我有想法。
I knew I had ideas.
我知道那里头有数字。
I knew somewhere in there I had numbers.
我花了四年才明白什么是数字一。
It four years for me to even understand what's a one.
我是说,哇。
I mean, wow.
哇。
Wow.
那天我没有死。
I did not die that day.
那天我没有死。
I did not die that day.
因此我拥有未来所有的可能性。
And so I have all the possibility of what will be.
而且它完全敞开着。
And it was wide open.
我不打算再当神经科学家了,因为左脑受损后,我从未强迫自己回到中风前的状态。
I wasn't gonna be a neuroscientist again because that left hemisphere, I never held myself to returning to whom I had been before the stroke.
就我而言,那个女孩在那天已经死了。
That girl died that day as far as I was concerned.
但现象是,作为大体解剖学家,我负责尸体实验室教学。
But the phenomenon was that as I'm a gross anatomist, so I taught cadaver lab.
当你教学时,面前有具完整的尸体,你要教医学生了解里面的构造。
And when you are teaching, you have a whole body there and you're teaching medical students about what's inside of there.
你需要把手伸进去说:'我要你滑到胃后面去'。
You get your hands in there and you say, I want you to slip in behind the stomach.
我要你把手从这里滑进去。
And I want you to slip this hand in here.
我希望你能了解胃与十二指肠、肝脏与脾神经以及肾脏之间的关系。
And I want you to know the relationship between the stomach and the duodenum and the liver and the splenic nerve and the kidney.
我希望你能感受到它,因为我想让你在脑海中形成一个三维图像,这样你就能运用这些信息。
I want you to feel it because I want you to have a three-dimensional image of that inside of your mind so that you can use that information.
非常右脑思维。
Very right brained.
当我们学习时,左脑负责记忆事实和细节,而右脑则处理背景和整体画面。
So when we learn, we learn facts and details with the left brain, but we learn context and big picture with the right brain.
所以我们有两种截然不同的思维方式。
So we have these two very different ways of working it out.
许多创始人都曾问我,为什么我在这个平台上投放的特定广告没有效果?
I've had so many founders speak to me and say, why didn't this particular ad that I ran on this platform work for me?
可能是文案不够好。
Maybe the copy wasn't good.
创意不够吸引人。
The creative wasn't strong.
但通常问题在于他们没有进行正确的对话,因为广告从未触达目标人群。
But usually, the problem is they're not having the right conversation because that ad never reached the right person.
如果你从事B2B营销,这基本上就是游戏规则。
And if you're in b two b marketing, that is much of the game.
而这正是LinkedIn广告为你解决的问题。
And this is where LinkedIn ads solves that problem for you.
他们的定位精准得离谱。
Their targeting is ridiculously specific.
你可以按职位、资历、公司规模、行业甚至个人技能进行定向投放。
You can target by job title, seniority, company size, industry, and even someone's skill set.
他们的网络覆盖超过10亿专业人士,其中约1.3亿是决策者。
And their network includes over a billion professionals, about 130,000,000 of them are decision makers.
当你使用LinkedIn广告时,你正在将品牌展示给精准的目标人群。
So when you use LinkedIn ads, you're putting your brand in front of the right people.
根据我的经验,在所有广告网络中,LinkedIn广告能带来最高的B2B广告投资回报率。
And LinkedIn ads also drive the highest B2B return on ad spend across all ad networks in my experience.
想试试看吗?请访问linkedin.com/diary。
You wanna give them a try, head over to linkedin.com/diary.
当你在首次LinkedIn广告活动中消费250美元,我将额外赠送250美元信用额度用于下次投放。
And when you spend $250 on your first LinkedIn ads campaign, you'll get an extra $250 credit from me for the next one.
网址是linkedin.com/diary。
That's linkedin.com/diary.
具体条款与条件适用。
Terms and conditions apply.
你刚才说每个人的大脑里都有四种人格。
So you said there's four personalities in everybody's brain.
这四种人格分别是什么?
What are those four personalities?
从解剖学角度看哺乳动物大脑的进化过程:最初是具有脊髓的生物体,比如蠕虫这类生物。
As we're looking at the brain, just from an anatomical perspective, The way evolution happens for the mammalian brain is that there are creatures who have a spinal cord and they have then and there are creatures like that, like worms.
然后在这些组织顶端会形成一个小小的脑髓质。
And then a little brain, a little medulla will form at the top of that tissue.
这个初级大脑负责调控并优化整个系统的信息处理流程。
And then now that brain controls and streamlines information processing to the rest of the system.
接着我们会添加脑桥结构。
And then we add a pons.
那是什么?
What's that?
它就是一种细胞组织结构。
Just It's a structure of cells.
那么,这就是延髓。
So, this is the medulla.
对。
Yeah.
那里应该是脊髓。
We would have spinal cord there.
而这是脑桥。
And this is the pons.
哦,脑桥啊。
Oh, the pons.
这是一组...这是
It's a group of It's
一个大脑。
a brain.
没错。
Yeah.
这是个较小的大脑。
It's a smaller brain.
与脑桥相连的是这个小脑。
And in relationship to that pons is this cerebellum.
小脑中有种美丽的细胞叫浦肯野细胞,它们形状像手掌。
And the cerebellum has this gorgeous cell in it called the Purkinje cell, and they're like a hand.
它们就像是,你知道的,二维平面的。
They're like, you know, two dimensional.
它们都这样排列着。
And they all line up like this.
然后有纤维从中穿过。
And then fibers run through those.
这是计时机制的一部分,正是由于这些细胞的排列方式,你才能拥有流畅的运动。
And it's part of the mechanism of timing so that you have fluidity of movement because of the way those cells are aligned.
所以并非所有细胞生来平等,也并非所有细胞看起来都一样。
So not all cells are created equal and not all cells look alike.
细胞的形态与其功能相匹配。
Cells have the right shape for the right job.
随着我们的成长,如今我们拥有了哺乳动物的大脑,其中就有海马体——你们应该听说过——负责学习和记忆。
So, as then we grow, and now we have the mammalian brain, we're going to have the hippocampus, you've heard of that, for learning and memory.
杏仁核,你们也听说过,它负责判断‘我安全吗?’
The amygdala, you've heard that, for am I safe?
我安全吗?
Am I safe?
是的,你安全吗?
Yeah, are you safe?
对,就是杏仁核。
The amygdala yeah.
那里有一组细胞在持续不断地扫描。
There's a group of cells right there that is scanning constantly.
我安全吗?
Am I safe?
我安全吗?
Am I safe?
我安全吗?
Am I safe?
当你处于安全状态时一切正常,直到危险来临。
And you're fine until you're not safe.
好的。
Okay.
就像威胁检测那样。
So like threat detection.
是的。
Yes.
正是如此。
That's exactly what it is.
好的。
Okay.
你有两套情绪系统。
You have two emotional systems.
一套在左脑半球,另一套在右脑半球。
One in your left hemisphere and one in your right hemisphere.
而右脑半球此刻就在这里运作。
And the right hemisphere is gonna be right here right now.
我此刻在这里安全吗?
Am I safe in the right here right now?
假设突然有条蛇经过,我们会吓得跳起来,因为你的右侧杏仁核在说:天啊,我安全吗?
So let's say all of a sudden a snake went by and we would jump, we would startle because it's your right amygdala saying, oh my gosh, am I safe?
然后左脑半球就会反应过来:天啊,是条蛇。
And then the left hemisphere is going, oh my gosh, it's a snake.
不,我不安全。
No, I'm not safe.
把它赶走。
Push it away.
当我们平静时,海马体就会工作——因为我们有两个杏仁核,每个半球各一个;也有两个海马体,每个半球各一个。
And when we're calm, that's when the hippocampi, because we have two amygdala, one in each hemisphere, two hippocampi, one in each hemisphere.
当杏仁核平静下来,你感到安全时,这时你才能学习和集中注意力。
And when the amygdala are calm and you feel safe, now you can learn and focus.
专注于前扣带回,学习新事物。
Focus with the anterior, with the cingulate gyrus, and learn new things.
所以,要了解这些细胞群。
So, know, these groups of cells.
如果你破坏了杏仁核,你将感受不到任何恐惧。
Now, if you wipe out an amygdala, you're not gonna feel any fear.
破坏了语言中枢,你就会丧失语言能力。
You wipe out a language center, you're not gonna have any language.
破坏了食指的运动机能,你就会瘫痪无法活动。
You wipe out motor skills to your index finger, and you can't, you're paralyzed.
因此,你拥有的每一项能力都依赖于执行该功能的脑细胞。
So, every ability you have is because we have these brain cells that perform that function.
对我们这四个部分来说,每个大脑半球都有一个情绪系统。
So, for the four parts of us, so we have an emotional system in each hemisphere.
右半球的情绪系统,就是此时此刻的即时反应机制。
The emotional system of the right hemisphere, this is a right here, right now machine.
此时此刻。
Right here, right now.
这就是它的全部。
That's all it has.
没有过去,没有未来,也不认识你是谁。
Don't have the past, don't have the future, don't know who you are.
它不会有焦虑、抑郁吗?
Doesn't have anxiety, depression?
它确实会焦虑,但大部分焦虑感来源于左半球。
Well, it has anxiety, but most of that is gonna be based in the left hemisphere.
因为这个机制——左半球——具有跨时间线的线性特征。
Because this machine, the left hemisphere, has linearity across time.
所以这个情绪系统会记住你经历过的所有创伤事件,那些你不想再次发生的事情。
So this emotional system is remembering every traumatic event that ever happened to you that you don't wanna have happen again.
创伤就是存在于大脑的那个部位吗?
Is that where trauma lives in the brain?
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。