The Knowledge Project - 罗布·弗雷泽:专注的力量 封面

罗布·弗雷泽:专注的力量

Rob Fraser: The Power of Focus

本集简介

罗布·弗雷泽讲述了OUTWAY鲜为人知的故事——从街头兜售袜子,到打造八位数的商业帝国。在经历近乎毁灭性的商业危机后,他将职业体育生涯中学到的经验应用于商业世界。探索那些反直觉的心理模型,如何将一位世界级运动员转变为商业革新者,将平凡的袜子变成一场千万美元的革命。 作为对听众的特别优惠,TKP社区成员可在结账时使用代码 SHANE 享受 30% 折扣。https://outway.com/ 通讯 《Brain Food》通讯每周日为您提供可操作的洞察与深思熟虑的见解。阅读只需5分钟,完全免费。了解更多并订阅:https://fs.blog/newsletter/ 升级 如果你想在每集结尾听到我的想法与反思,请加入我们的会员计划:⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://fs.blog/membership/⁠⁠,获取你专属的私人播客源。 关注我: Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/farnamstreet LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/shane-parrish-050a2183/ 关注罗布: X:https://x.com/robbfraser LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/robbfraser/ 赞助商: Somewhere.com:https://www.somewhere.com/ Overlap:https://www.joinoverlap.com/ 了解更多关于您的广告选择。请访问 megaphone.fm/adchoices

双语字幕

仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。

Speaker 0

十年来,我每天醒来都清楚地知道自己想做什么,人生将走向何方。

For ten years, I woke up with a very clear idea of what I wanted to do with my life and where it was gonna go.

Speaker 0

我非常享受这种感觉。

And I loved that.

Speaker 0

我每天醒来都充满激情,心里想着:这就是目标,这是我要实现它的方式,这就是我要做的事。

I woke up every day with a fire in my belly saying, this is the goal, Here's how I'm gonna get it, here's what I'm gonna do.

Speaker 0

但当我离开这项运动后,几乎在一夜之间,这种感觉就消失了。

And then almost seemingly overnight, when I walk away from the sport, that's gone.

Speaker 0

你的身份也随之消失了。

Your identity is gone.

Speaker 0

你知道吗,就在退役前一天,我还说:嗨。

You know, like, the day before I retire, it's, hi.

Speaker 0

我是罗布·弗雷泽,职业自行车手。

I'm Rob Fraser, professional cyclist.

Speaker 0

这对我来说就是一切。

It was everything.

Speaker 0

第二天,这一切就消失了。

The next day that's gone.

Speaker 0

在接下来的一年里,这种感觉逐渐消退,因为你已经不再身处那个圈子了。

And over the next year, that fades away because you're no longer on the scene.

Speaker 0

朋友们虽然还是朋友,但你再也见不到他们了。

And the friends they're still friends, but you don't see them.

Speaker 0

共同的兴趣也开始淡化。

And the common interest starts to fade.

Speaker 0

你知道,这让我陷入了一段黑暗时期,我一直在想:我这辈子到底要做什么?

And, you know, that kinda led to this dark period for me where I was like, what am I gonna do with my life?

Speaker 1

欢迎来到《知识项目》。

Welcome to The Knowledge Project.

Speaker 1

我是主持人帕里什。

I'm your host, Parrish.

Speaker 1

在这个知识就是力量的世界里,这个播客是你掌握他人已发现的精华的工具箱。

In a world where knowledge is power, this podcast is your toolkit for mastering the best of what other people have already figured out.

Speaker 1

如果你正在收听这个,说明你不是会员。

If you're listening to this, it means you're not a supporting member.

Speaker 1

会员可以提前获取内容、无广告、收听我在对话末尾的个人反思、查看我正在阅读的书籍的精华内容、精修的逐字稿,还有更多福利。

Members get early access, no ads, my personal reflections at the end of the conversation, access to the highlights from the books I'm reading, hand edited transcripts, and so much more.

Speaker 1

详情请查看节目说明中的链接。

Check out the link in the show notes for more information.

Speaker 1

今天的嘉宾是罗布·弗雷泽,OUTWAY的创始人兼首席执行官。OUTWAY是一个快速增长的直接面向消费者的品牌,正在颠覆高端性能股票市场。

My guest today is Rob Fraser, founder and CEO of OUTWAY, a rapidly growing direct to consumer brand disrupting the premium performance stock market.

Speaker 1

罗布的创业历程是克服障碍并实现业务扩张的典范。

Rob's entrepreneurial journey is a masterclass in overcoming obstacles and scaling a business.

Speaker 1

仅仅几年时间,OUTWAY就从初创企业成长为价值数百万美元的成功故事。

In just a few years, OUTWAY has gone from startup to multimillion dollar success story.

Speaker 1

该公司实现了令人印象深刻的年增长率,营收先后突破了405万美元、607万美元,并现已达到八位数的里程碑。

The company has achieved impressive year over year growth progressing through $4.05, $6.07, and now 8 figure revenue milestones.

Speaker 1

罗布专注于关键事项、打造强大品牌并有效执行扩张的能力,为有志于创业和已有的企业家及管理者都提供了宝贵的洞见。

Rob's ability to focus on what matters, build a strong brand, and execute on scaling offers valuable insights for aspiring and established entrepreneurs and managers alike.

Speaker 1

作为给想要亲身体验OUTWAY产品的听众的特别优惠,Rob提供了30%的折扣。

As a special offer for our listeners wanting to experience OUTWAY's product firsthand, Rob's offering 30% off.

Speaker 1

只需访问outway.com,并在结账时使用代码SHANE即可。

Simply visit outway.com and use the code SHANE at checkout.

Speaker 1

准备好聆听一场关于体育与商业的相似之处、企业扩张以及克服挑战、实现雄心勃勃目标所需心态的深刻对话吧。

Get ready for an illuminating conversation on the parallels between sports and business, scaling a company, and the mindset required to push through challenges and achieve audacious goals.

Speaker 1

现在,开始聆听与学习吧。

It's time to listen and learn.

Speaker 1

播客太多了,时间却太少了。

There are too many podcasts and not enough time.

Speaker 1

如果你能跳过噪音,直接获取那些有洞察力的片段,甚至包括你从未听说过的节目,那会怎样?

What if you could skip the noise and get just the insightful moments, even from shows you didn't know existed?

Speaker 1

这就是Overlap所做的。

That's what Overlap does.

Speaker 1

Overlap是一款由AI驱动的播客应用,利用大型语言模型精选各集中的精彩片段。

Overlap is an AI driven podcast app that uses large language models to curate the best moments from episodes.

Speaker 1

想象一下,有一个智能助手能阅读每一份文字稿,找出最精彩的部分,并根据你感兴趣的任何主题为你推送。

Imagine having a smart assistant who reads through every transcript, finds just the best parts, and serves them up based on whatever topic you're interested in.

Speaker 1

我每天都会使用Overlap来研究嘉宾、探索和学习。

I use Overlap every day to research guests, explore, and learn.

Speaker 1

试试看吧,开始发现最优秀播客中最精彩的部分。

Give it a try and start discovering the best moments from the best podcasts.

Speaker 1

前往 joinoverlap.com。

Go to joinoverlap.com.

Speaker 1

就是 joinoverlap.com。

That's joinoverlap.com.

Speaker 1

创业领域正出现一种全新的巨大趋势。

There's a new massive trend emerging in entrepreneurship.

Speaker 1

越来越多的企业主正在海外招聘,以竞争对手一半的运营成本来管理公司。

More and more business owners are hiring overseas and running their companies with half the overhead of their competitors.

Speaker 1

销售在南非,运营在拉丁美洲,财务、市场、工程,等等,你想得到的都有。

Sales in South Africa, operations in Latin America, finance, marketing, engineering, you name it.

Speaker 1

我们的赞助商somewhere.com可以为您的企业找到这些人才,起价每小时5美元。

Our sponsor, somewhere.com, can find these people for your business starting at $5 per hour.

Speaker 1

访问somewhere.com.knowledge,可享受1000美元的招聘费用减免。

Visit somewhere.com.knowledge for $1,000 off your recruiting fee.

Speaker 1

再次提醒,访问somewhere.com.knowledge,可享受1000美元优惠。

Again, visit somewhere.com.knowledge for $1,000 off.

Speaker 1

你在职业体育和商业领域都取得了逆境中的成功。

You've been successful against the odds in both professional sports and business.

Speaker 1

跟我谈谈实现这一切所需的心态。

Talk to me about the mindset required to do that.

Speaker 0

我的意思是,这种心态归根结底是一种个人使命。

I mean, the mindset really comes down to like, a personal mission.

Speaker 0

如果你想想同时做这两件事——无论是体育还是其他任何艰难的事——拥有某种内在的理由、动力或个人驱动力去实现目标,真的会推动你前进,让你朝着目标努力。

I mean, if you think about doing both of those things, whether it's sport or anything hard, having some intrinsic reason or some motivation or some personal drive to accomplish something really pushes you forward and pulls you into that goal.

Speaker 0

很多人谈论建立韧性心态或更强的心态。

A lot of people talk about building a resilient mindset or building a stronger mindset.

Speaker 0

我真的觉得,虽然尝试去教授或学习这种心态或许有些好处,但我认为这本质上只能通过亲身经历来获得。

And I really think that sure, maybe there's some benefit to trying to teach that or learn it, but I really think it's something that you can really only learn by going through it.

Speaker 0

当你经历那些艰难时刻并坚持下去时,是因为你真正在乎某件事。

And you go through those tough times and push through those things when it's because you care about something.

Speaker 0

这就是个人使命。

So that personal mission.

Speaker 0

所以在运动方面,我的目标是成为一名竞技自行车手、职业自行车手,并实现我设定的各种目标。

So when it was with sport, it was this goal to become a competitive cyclist, professional cyclist, and reach different goals that I had.

Speaker 0

无论是从伤病中恢复,还是从挫折中反弹,我的目标都远远大于我所承受的痛苦或压力,根本不存在不继续前进的想法。

So whether it was coming back from injury or coming back from setbacks, the goal was so much larger than the pain I was dealing with or the stress and the idea of kind of not pushing forward wasn't even there.

Speaker 0

而当我审视我生活的其他方面时,有时你不会那么努力,因为那里没有个人使命。

Whereas I look at other parts of my life and sometimes you don't push as hard because there's no personal mission there.

Speaker 0

没有理由去坚持。

There's no reason to push.

Speaker 0

你并不一定把这种心态带入你做的每一件事,但它在实现更大的目标时非常有帮助,商业领域也是如此。

It's not necessarily something you take that mindset into everything you do, but it's really helpful in those larger goals and similar with business.

Speaker 0

我只是觉得,任何宏大目标的成功,最终都取决于你长期坚持的能力、毅力和韧性。

It's just I ultimately think success in any large goal comes down to your ability to endure over the long term, perseverance, resilience.

Speaker 0

我认为需要延长时间视野。

I think extending the time horizon.

Speaker 0

人们总是谈论各种捷径和快速见效的方法,想知道如何缩短时间线。

People always talk about hacks and quick wins and how can you shorten the timeline.

Speaker 0

但归根结底,这或许能带来一些短期的胜利,却无法带来持久性。

And ultimately, I think that leads to maybe a quick win here and there, but not longevity.

Speaker 0

在商业和体育中,职业生涯都是建立在持久性之上的。

And in business and in sport, the careers are built on longevity.

Speaker 0

这其实取决于一种心态,因为在任何值得追求的路上,都会有无数的起伏、曲折。在体育和商业中,情况尤其复杂。

That really comes down to a mindset because along that path on anything worth doing, there's just so many ups and downs and sideways and with sport and business and there's just so much going on.

Speaker 0

那这种动力来自哪里?

Where does

Speaker 1

这种动力来自哪里?

that drive come from?

Speaker 1

我们是天生就有动力,还是通过追随热情逐渐培养出来的?

Are we born with drive or is it something we develop by following our passion?

Speaker 0

对我来说,我的动力始于童年,进入青春期初期。

For me, my drive started kind of in childhood going into adolescence, early teens.

Speaker 0

实际上,我的个人经历是,我想向世界证明我能做到某些事情。

And it was really, you know, my personal journey was I wanted to show the world that I could do something.

Speaker 0

我的童年几乎是在屡屡未能达成目标中度过的。

My childhood was kind of marked by not quite succeeding at anything that I set my mind to.

Speaker 0

我小时候超重,热爱运动,但却始终找不到自己擅长的领域。

I was an overweight child and I loved sport, but I never was able to find what I was good at.

Speaker 0

所以我尝试了学校里所有的体育项目——篮球队、排球队,但不仅没入选,

So I would try out for all the all of the school sports, your basketball team, your volleyball team, and I wouldn't just not make it.

Speaker 0

我总是第一个被淘汰的人。

I was always the first person not to make it.

Speaker 0

所以我总是在边缘徘徊,但这几乎更糟,因为我能隐约感受到那种被选中的感觉。

So I was always on the cusp, but that almost made it a little bit worse because I could like taste what it would be like to be there.

Speaker 0

随着时间的推移,这逐渐培养出一种动力:一旦我发现擅长的事情,我就会全力以赴,因为我希望赢。因为当我环顾四周时,那时的感受是:我在这些方面都不成功,而所有成功的人似乎都得到了某种程度的认可。

And so that started over time to build this drive of like, when I find something I'm good at, I'm gonna go all in and I wanna win because when I looked around me, the feeling I felt at that time was, I'm not succeeding in these areas and everyone that is seems to be getting some level of acceptance.

Speaker 0

对于我这样一个孩子来说,成长过程中或许这就是爱,这就是我应该追求的东西。

And for me as kind of a child and growing up as like, maybe that's love, that's what I should strive for.

Speaker 0

但我就是做不到。

And I just wasn't able to do that.

Speaker 0

于是这种动力逐渐积累、增强。

So that started to build and build.

Speaker 0

所以当我早期发现骑行时,我就想:哦,我在这方面还挺擅长的。

And so when I found early on it was cycling, I was like, oh, I'm pretty good at this.

Speaker 0

于是我决定全身心投入。

And I was like, I'm gonna go all in.

Speaker 0

当我回过头来看,这种动力其实是为了获得认可,为了感觉:哦,我终于加入这个圈子了。

And the drive was really I think when I reflect back, it was a drive to be accepted, to feel like, oh, I finally am in the club.

Speaker 0

我终于擅长某件事了。

I finally am good at something.

Speaker 0

然后我不只想做好,我想做到卓越。

Then I didn't want to be good at it, I wanted to be great.

Speaker 0

我认为这种心态也带有一些破坏性的倾向,但归根结底,它源于一种渴望被接纳的感觉,以及长期以来无法成功、看着同龄人做到而产生的不甘心,我假设那就是融入团体或被认可的感觉。

I think that has some destructive kind of tendencies to it as well, but that's ultimately where it came from is this feeling of acceptance and a chip on my shoulder of not being able to pull it off for so long and seeing my peers do it and assuming that's what it felt like to be part of the club or accepted.

Speaker 1

对我来说,有两点特别突出:一是你这么小的时候就能持续失败却依然坚持,一次又一次被最后一个挑中,但你没有放弃。

The one thing that stood out there for me actually, two things stood out was the ability to consistently fail and keep going at such a young age where you're the first person not picked over and over and over again, but you didn't give up.

Speaker 1

而我认为很多人早就放弃了。

Whereas I think a lot of people would give up.

Speaker 1

这其实和被接纳有关。

That relates, I think, to the acceptance.

Speaker 1

比如你有没有一个兄弟得到了更多关注,出于某种不同的原因,而你则努力想要引起注意?

Like you're striving for Did you have a brother who got attention or something where for a different reason and you're like striving to sort of like get noticed?

Speaker 0

是的,完全如此。

Yeah, totally.

Speaker 0

我的确有个弟弟,他小时候几乎和我完全相反。

I mean, so yeah, had a younger brother and he was almost in our childhood the exact opposite.

Speaker 0

他在运动方面非常出色。

He was incredibly good at sports.

Speaker 0

这对他来说很自然。

It came natural.

Speaker 0

我们家是个热爱冰球的家庭。

And, you know, so we're a big hockey family.

Speaker 0

我们从小在一个非常传统的家庭长大,注重学业,必须上学、上大学,也特别重视团队运动,尤其是冰球。

You know, we grew up in a very traditional family, you know, very traditional around school, like go to school, go to university, very traditional around team sports, hockey.

Speaker 0

冰球是最重要的。

And hockey was the big one.

Speaker 0

我弟弟在这方面非常厉害,是AAA级别,天赋异禀,而我却没那么好。

And my brother was really good at it, you know, AAA and came natural and I wasn't as good.

Speaker 0

我勉强才入选了选拔队。

I just barely could make like the select team.

Speaker 0

看到这一切,我就觉得,我父母真的很重视体育,尤其是冰球,我弟弟在这方面很出色,而我却没能成功。

So seeing that is like, oh, my parents really like value sport and and in particular hockey and my brother's really good at it and I see him succeeding and I'm not succeeding at it.

Speaker 0

我父母很好,当然他们爱我,但我就是想变得优秀。

And my parents are great and of course they love me, but I was like, I wanna be good.

Speaker 0

我想通过某件事让他们为我骄傲。

I wanna make them proud with something.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

因为我在学业上并不特别出色。

Like, because I'm not particularly great at school.

Speaker 0

我不喜欢学校。

I didn't enjoy it.

Speaker 0

你知道,我从来就没真正明白过。

You know, I just I I never really understood.

Speaker 0

学校里没人跟我讲清楚学习的目的到底是什么,我只是觉得,你们学这个是因为这个。

It wasn't articulated to me in school what the purpose was, and I was like, you're learning this because this.

Speaker 0

这些对我而言从未变得真实可感。

It wasn't made kind of real for me.

Speaker 0

所以我也不太喜欢那样。

So I didn't enjoy that too much.

Speaker 0

但我确实喜欢运动,只是冰球并不适合我。

And then I did enjoy sport, like hockey just wasn't the thing for me.

Speaker 0

所以,一次次失败的能力,我认为每次失败时你都会做出选择:是让它拖累你,还是推动你前进。

And so the ability to to fail over and over again, I think you make a choice every time you fail, whether that's gonna hold you back or push you forward.

Speaker 0

最终,我很早就决定让这些失败推动我前进,并且我一直坚持至今,因为这才是你学到最重要教训的地方。

And ultimately, I decided early on to let that push me forward, and I've carried that through because that's where you learn your most important lessons.

Speaker 0

你可以从胜利中学习,但我生活中最深刻的教训、我讲述的故事以及我反思的内容,大多来自那些失败和挫折。

You can learn from winning, but a lot of the most important lessons and the stories I tell and what I reflect on in my life has come from all the losses or the the setbacks.

Speaker 0

随着时间推移,这些经历积累成丰富的教训和洞见,真正推动我不断前行,因此我感激所有的失败。

And and that's really over time built such a base of lessons and insights to just kind of propel me forward that, you know, I'm thankful for all those failures.

Speaker 0

它们在发生时确实非常艰难。

They're incredibly difficult at the time.

Speaker 0

当你正经历这些时刻时,你只希望它们赶快结束。

And when you're going through them, you wish they'd go away.

Speaker 0

而且我始终发现,一年、三年、五年后,你会越来越感激那些机会。

And I've always found one year, three years, five years in the future, you become more and more thankful for those opportunities.

Speaker 1

昨晚他告诉我,竞技体育比商学院更有价值。

Last night, told me that competitive sports is better than business school.

Speaker 1

跟我聊聊这个。

Talk to me about that.

Speaker 1

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 1

作为商业的训练场。

As a training ground for business.

Speaker 0

对。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

对。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

我认为对人生也是如此,说实话。

I think for life as well, honestly.

Speaker 0

我觉得啊,你想想看,运动教会了你什么?

I think, you know, what does sport teach you?

Speaker 0

说到底,运动会告诉你,你必须付出努力才行。

Ultimately, sport will teach you that you have to put in the work.

Speaker 0

拿跑步来举个例子,你总不能什么准备都不做就上场跑马拉松吧。

If we use running as example, you can't just show up and run a marathon.

Speaker 0

对不对?

Right?

Speaker 0

你都能站到起跑线上。

You can get to the start line.

Speaker 0

谁都能站到起跑线上,但谁做足了准备、谁没准备,一验便知。

Anyone can go to the start line, but it's gonna be pretty clear who prepared and who didn't.

Speaker 0

除此之外,至少以我的经历来看,竞技体育教会我的远不止这些——我曾是一名职业自行车选手,入选国家队长达十年,期间五次为国出征,骑着自行车走遍世界各地参赛。

But beyond that, competitive sport, at least in my experience, you know, as competitive cyclist, I was five times on the national team for about ten years, traveled around the world racing my bike.

Speaker 0

那段经历教会了我很多东西。

And what that taught me was a bunch of things.

Speaker 0

最重要的是韧性。

Most importantly, and resilience.

Speaker 0

比如,我们一年可能参加十场比赛,却只赢一两次。

Like like how do you ever like we would race maybe, let's say, 10 times a year and maybe win once or twice.

Speaker 0

所以你失败的时候比成功的时候多。

So you're failing more than you succeed.

Speaker 0

你是如何应对这些情况,继续前进的?又是如何应对伤病的?

And it's how are you dealing with that and building forward and how are you dealing with injuries?

Speaker 0

但更重要的是,你是如何建立人脉的?

But more than that, it's how are you networking yourself?

Speaker 0

我也在管理自己。

So I managed myself as well.

Speaker 0

我亲自谈判我的赞助合同。

So I was negotiating my sponsorship contracts.

Speaker 0

我负责安排全球的物流。

I was booking worldwide logistics.

Speaker 0

我记得我16岁上高中时,被选入了第一个国家队,当时我收到了一封邮件。

I remember when I was 16 in high school, I was named to my first national team and I got an email.

Speaker 0

因为我刚赢得了一场全国比赛,这让我成为了当年的国家队成员。

So I had just won a national race and that named me the team that year.

Speaker 0

我甚至不知道世界锦标赛是什么。

I didn't even know what world championships was.

Speaker 0

我对这项运动一无所知,完全是新手。

I was so green in the sport, so new to the sport.

Speaker 0

我收到了国家联合会的一封邮件。

And I got an email from the National Federation.

Speaker 0

邮件里说:嘿,你被选入了世界锦标赛队伍。

It's like, hey, you've been named to the the world champions hips team.

Speaker 0

比赛下个月在意大利举行。

It's in Italy next month.

Speaker 0

我们非常希望你能来。

Like, we'd love for you to come.

Speaker 0

我记得我回邮件说:不行,去不了。

And I remember emailing back and being like, no, can't.

Speaker 0

我还要上学。

I have school.

Speaker 0

因为我根本不知道怎么回事。

And because I had no idea.

Speaker 0

我太新手了。

I was so green.

Speaker 0

然后我把邮件给父母看了。

And then I I showed the email to my parents.

Speaker 0

他们问:你干了什么?

They're like, what did you do?

Speaker 0

赶紧给他们回邮件。

Like, email them back.

Speaker 0

你得去。

Like, you're gonna go.

Speaker 0

我们会和学校谈谈。

We'll talk to the school.

Speaker 0

我们会帮你退出,然后支持你去。

We'll get you out and, like, we'll support you to go.

Speaker 0

于是我给他们回了邮件。

And so I emailed them back.

Speaker 0

我加入了团队,而这件事的结果是,我们要去意大利。

I got on the team and what that led into is like, it was going to Italy.

Speaker 0

于是登上飞机,在德国转机,完全不知道自己身在何处,就这样被直接扔进了深水区。

So hop on a plane, arrive in Germany for a layover, having no idea where I am and just being kind of thrown into the deep end like that.

Speaker 0

作为一个小孩子,就这样登上飞机,结果到了欧洲。

Like as a young kid, just hop on a plane, you end up in Europe.

Speaker 0

那时候我甚至都不太清楚欧洲在哪里。

I don't even really know where Europe is at that time.

Speaker 0

说来惭愧,如果你当时让我在地图上指出意大利,我可能会很困难。

Embarrassingly, if you said point out Italy on a map, I would have had a tough time.

Speaker 0

所以这就是我如何不知不觉地到了那里,而当你身处那种境地时,你该怎么应对?该怎么结识新朋友?又该怎么表现呢?

And so that's like how kind of I just but now I'm there and how do you deal with that and how do you meet new people and then how do you perform?

Speaker 0

我们之前讨论过的所有关于培养韧性心态的课程,当你遇到困难时该如何继续前进,体育运动会教会你这些。

All of these lessons we talked about earlier about building a resilient mindset and how do you learn to kind of just push forward when things get tough and sport will teach you that.

Speaker 0

我觉得商学院很重要。

And business school, I think it's important.

Speaker 0

我不想过多批评它,但他们确实教你那些你可以阅读和学习的所有东西。

I don't wanna knock on it too bad, but they're teaching you, you know, all the things you can read about and learn about.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

所以所有那些策略,以及那些常识,还有你该如何应用它们。

So all the the the tactics and and kind of just the the common knowledge and how you would apply that.

Speaker 0

但我认为,在商业领域,至少根据我所学到的,你即使懂得一切,关键还是在危机来临时你该如何应对。

But I think ultimately in business, at least what I've learned is like, you could know everything, but it's how are you gonna react when shit hits the fan.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

你该怎么与人沟通、谈判,利用你的社交网络,并且创造性地思考?

And how are you gonna talk to people and negotiate and use your network and and kind of think creatively?

Speaker 0

我从运动中学到的很多教训就是:如何利用过去的经历为自己争取优势?

And those were a lot of the lessons that I learned in sport is like, how do you use some of your past experiences to your advantage?

Speaker 0

像我拥有的那种人脉网络,真是太棒了。

Like having the network I did was so incredible.

Speaker 0

如果我要用一句话来总结,运动教会我的核心是:一切都要靠自己争取,而不是理所当然的馈赠。

And I just think that sport, if I if I boil it all down to like a succinct answer, it's really that it taught me that everything is earned, not owed.

Speaker 0

你必须付出努力。

You had to do the work.

Speaker 0

没有捷径可走,事情几乎从不会按计划进行,你必须自己想办法解决。

There was no substitute for the work that things almost never go to plan and you need to figure it out.

Speaker 0

你还培养了在压力下表现的能力,比如与人交流。

And then just built so many skills of performing under pressure, you know, talking to people.

Speaker 0

你完全沉浸其中,根本无处可逃。

Just you're immersed in it and there's no getting out of it.

Speaker 0

我只是觉得那是一段非常塑造我的经历。

And I just thought that was such a formative experience.

Speaker 0

今天我们所讨论的一切,以及我在商业中所做的一切,都是建立在运动生涯的基础之上的。

Everything we'll talk about today and everything I've done in business has been on the back of the sporting career.

Speaker 0

我没有上过商学院。

I didn't go to business school.

Speaker 0

当然,我读过所有相关的书,努力学习过那些常识,也确实学了,但过去近十年里,我带到商业中的那些经验和思维方式,和我当年参加体育比赛时完全一样。

Of course, I've read all the books and I've tried to learn the common knowledge and I have, but the lessons and the actual mindset I take to business for almost the last ten years is the same mindset I had when I was competing in sport.

Speaker 0

谈谈

Talk to

Speaker 1

再多讲讲准备和定位在运动和商业中的作用吧。

me a little more about the role of sort of preparation or positioning when it comes to sport and business.

Speaker 1

在这两点上,两者之间似乎有很多相似之处。

Seems like there's a lot of similarities between the two in that.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

在运动中,我从来不是最有天赋的骑手。

In sport, I was never the most talented rider.

Speaker 0

这实际上是我创业倾向的一种体现。

And honestly, was a manifestation of my entrepreneurial tendencies.

Speaker 0

因为就像我说的,我成长在一个运动家庭中。

Because like I said, I grew up in a sport family.

Speaker 0

我想,如果当时我能接触到商业,我可能会选择进入商业领域,从事更具创业精神的事情。

I think when I look back, if I had been introduced to business at that time, I would have gone into business and done something more entrepreneurial.

Speaker 0

但我成长过程中并没有接触到创业者榜样。

But I didn't have an entrepreneur model growing up.

Speaker 0

我甚至根本不知道还有这种职业存在。

I didn't really even know that was a thing.

Speaker 0

就像我说的,我家是传统家庭,父母从事普通工作,还有运动。

It was, like I said, traditional family, normal jobs, and sport.

Speaker 0

所以我就想,好吧,我有这些倾向——追求宏大目标、愿意承担风险、坚韧不拔,而把这些特质投入到运动中,也能取得相当的成功。

And so I was like, okay, I have all these kind of tendencies of, you know, wanting to go after a big goal, willing to take risk, resilient, pointed at a sport, you can be pretty successful.

Speaker 0

我在运动中运用这些创业倾向的超能力是准备和定位。

My superpower in that I use with those entrepreneurial tendencies in sport was preparation and positioning.

Speaker 0

我怎样才能在起跑线前比其他运动员准备得更充分?

How can I be more prepared than any other athlete when it comes to the start line?

Speaker 0

我该如何研究赛道?

How can I study the course?

Speaker 0

我如何利用自己对赛季中即将出现情况的了解,在家复刻并练习,从而弥补自身的劣势呢?

How can I take what I know that's coming up on the season before replicate that at home and practice and study it knowing that I had disadvantages, you know?

Speaker 0

我参加的是山地自行车下坡赛,但我成长在安大略省的皮克林。

So I raced downhill mountain bikes, but I grew up in Pickering, Ontario.

Speaker 0

皮克林,安大略省根本没有山。

There's not a mountain in Pickering, Ontario.

Speaker 0

那我该如何与那些生活在山区、或者我所说的BC孩子——那些住在不列颠哥伦比亚省、身边全是山的人竞争?你必须想办法解决这个问题。

So how do you compete with people that live around the world around mountains or the what I call the BC kids, the people lived in BC with all the mountains in British Columbia, and you have to really figure out how to make that work.

Speaker 0

我解决问题的方法是,在我家附近的山坡上,搭建一些十到十五秒长的赛道片段。

And how I made that work is I would build little ten or fifteen second parts of the course on the hillside by my house.

Speaker 0

这让我明白,我真正学会了精准和在关键时刻高水平执行的重要性,通过提前定位和准备,让自己在比赛到来时达到最佳状态。

And what that taught me was I really learned precision and the importance of really executing at a high level and executing when it mattered, positioning myself and being prepared for when the race run came to be the most ready I could be.

Speaker 0

这其实早在比赛正式开始前就已经开始了。

Well, that started way before the actual event started.

Speaker 0

那就是提前研究赛道、做充分的准备、整个休赛期的训练,最终当你站在起跑线时,无论是体育还是商业,你都已竭尽所能做好了所有准备。

That was studying the course in advance, the sort of preparation, the training, all the off season, and just knowing ultimately when you get to the start line, whether it's in sport or business that you've done everything you could do to prepare for that.

Speaker 0

这通常对我很有效,因为在那种情况下,无论你有多了解、做了多少准备,如果你没有做好正确的定位,压力一定会压倒你所有的天赋。

And that usually worked for me because the pressure in those situations, no matter what you know or how much you've done, if you're not prepared to position properly, the pressure will overtake all the talent that you have for sure.

Speaker 0

执行能力真的非常重要。

Like the ability to execute is so important.

Speaker 1

我认为另一个相似之处是,从外部看,体育和商业都显得很光鲜,但从内部来看,其实一团糟。

One of the other similarities I think is from the outside looking in, sports looks really sexy, business looks really sexy, but from the inside, it's a bit of a mess.

Speaker 0

体育和商业本质上都是一团乱。

It's a total mess in both really.

Speaker 0

在体育中,职业运动员或竞技运动员的形象被过度美化了。

In sport, being a professional athlete or competitive athlete is glamorized.

Speaker 0

你看到的只是冰山一角。

You're seeing the very tip of the ice berg.

Speaker 0

你看到的只是那1%顺利成功的时刻——你站在领奖台上,看着这些人取得成功,但你没看到那些早起的时光、伤痛和挫折,以及伴随而来的心理健康问题。

You're seeing the 1% of the time that it goes right and you're standing on the podium and you're seeing these people succeed, but you're not seeing the early mornings, you're not seeing the injuries, you're not seeing the setbacks, the mental health that comes along with it.

Speaker 0

同样,在商业领域,你看到的是头条新闻,却看不到那些促成这些头条的背后故事。

And similarly with business, you see the headlines, but you don't see what led into that.

Speaker 0

我们所读到的运动员生涯和商业成功,往往都是所谓的‘十年一夜成名’。

And the athletic careers and the business successes that we all read about, these are often these ten year overnight successes.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

人们美化这种现象,将其奉为圭臬,认为这就是商业或体育的全部。

And people glamorize that and latch onto that and be like, you know, that's what business is or that's what sport is.

Speaker 0

我认为这有点破坏性,因为它完全忽略了这些事业的本质——那就是在艰难时期坚持下去,并需要漫长的时间才能达成目标。

And I think that's somewhat destructive because it really misses the true nature of these endeavors, which is resilience in tough times and in a long time to get there as well.

Speaker 0

我们逐渐进入了一个人们只想走捷径、想快速成功的世界。

And we kinda get into this world with where people wanna hack or they wanna shortcut.

Speaker 0

我只是觉得这种信息传递是错误的,对待这些事情的方式也不对。

And I just think it's it's the wrong messaging and it's the wrong way to approach these things.

Speaker 0

非常重要的是要延长对这些事情的预期时间,并且全身心投入。

It's just so important to extend the timeline on these things and and and really just give it your all.

Speaker 1

听说你为了参赛,把断了的手腕绑在自行车上?

Is it true you taped your broken wrist to a bike to compete?

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

我的运动项目是这样的:整个冬天训练,夏天比赛。

I mean, so the way our sport worked is you train all winter and you basically compete in the summer.

Speaker 0

所以你花大量时间准备一场比赛,但只有三个月的赛期,而且经常受伤,你只能想办法继续坚持。

And so you spend so much time preparing for a race that you have three months of racing and you would constantly get injured, and you would just have to figure out how to make that work.

Speaker 0

就在一年中最重要的比赛之前,我手腕骨折了,手指也断了。

And, yeah, leading into one of the biggest races of the year, I had a broken wrist, a broken finger.

Speaker 0

只是忍受疼痛的话,不会造成永久性损伤。

There's no long term damage to just dealing with the pain.

Speaker 0

等赛季结束之后,我就能处理这个问题。

I can get this dealt with when the season's over.

Speaker 0

在我心里,我觉得自己付出了这么多努力,不能就此退缩。

In my mind, it was like, I've worked too hard to just back away from this challenge.

Speaker 0

于是我问自己,要怎么做才能完成这件事?

It's like so I asked myself, what is it gonna take to get this done?

Speaker 0

你知道,我根本抓不住车把。

You know, I couldn't hold on to the handlebar.

Speaker 0

我没有足够的力气。

I didn't have the strength.

Speaker 0

所以我心想,我必须绑上绷带,因为一切努力都指向了这一刻。

And so I was like, I'm gonna have to tape because everything's led to this moment.

Speaker 0

我不会退缩。

I'm I'm not gonna back down.

Speaker 0

只要我身体能撑住,只要我还醒着,我就会到场。

Like, if I physically can do it, if I'm awake, I'll I'll be there.

Speaker 0

我认为正是这些教训。

And I think it's those lessons.

Speaker 0

而且最终,我们之前谈到过韧性,以及面对困难事情的心态。

And and ultimately, we talked about earlier about resilience and that mindset of doing hard things.

Speaker 0

我说过,你就是得去做。

And I talked about you just have to do them.

Speaker 0

这让我明白,你真的能做到。

That taught me you can do it.

Speaker 0

你知道吗?

You know?

Speaker 0

我当时感受到的痛苦简直难以置信,但最终,当你站上去、做好准备,而且准备好执行时,痛苦就会消失。

Like, the pain I was feeling was so crazy, but ultimately, you get up there and you're prepared and, you know, when you're ready to execute, the pain goes away.

Speaker 0

我认为经历这些艰难时刻非常重要,因为你会意识到自己能够挺过去,而正是在这些时刻,你逐渐培养出这种能力,能够应对未来更高的压力,并在压力中保持冷静。

I think it's really important to go through those tough times and realize that you can come out the other side because that's ultimately where you start over time to build that muscle and be able to deal with the really high stress things as they come and stay calm during them.

Speaker 0

如果一个人没经历过这些艰难时刻,我就很难相信他能自己学会做到这一点。

I'd be very surprised someone could teach themselves to do that without going through the tough times.

Speaker 1

你在退役后经历了一段身份认同危机。

You went through a bit of an identity crisis post sport.

Speaker 1

跟我谈谈这段经历。

Talk to me about that.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

十年来,我每天醒来都有非常清晰的目标,知道自己的人生方向在哪里。

For ten years, I woke up with a very clear idea of what I wanted to do with my life and where it was gonna go.

Speaker 0

我非常享受这种状态。

And I loved that.

Speaker 0

我每天醒来都充满激情,心里想着:这就是我的目标。

I woke up every day with a fire in my belly saying, this is the goal.

Speaker 0

这就是我要实现它的方式,也是我要做的事情。

Here's how I'm gonna get it, and here's what I'm gonna do.

Speaker 0

但当我离开这项运动时,这一切几乎在一夜之间消失了。

And then almost seemingly overnight, when I walk away from the sport, that's gone.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

你的身份消失了。

Your identity is gone.

Speaker 0

你知道吗,就在退役前一天,我还是:嗨。

You know, like, the day before I retire, it's, hi.

Speaker 0

我是罗布·弗雷泽,新生自行车手。

I'm Rob Fraser, freshman cyclist.

Speaker 0

第二天就成了:嗨,我是罗布·弗雷泽。

The next day it's, hi, I'm Rob Fraser.

Speaker 0

那我是谁?

Who is that?

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

我把自己当作自行车手已经很久了。

I've I've identified as this cyclist for so long.

Speaker 0

我的整个身份就是如此,我的朋友网络也是这样。

My my entire identity is that, my friend network is that.

Speaker 0

你知道,到目前为止,我的朋友遍布世界各地。

You know, my friends at this point were from all over the world.

Speaker 0

我们在赛季或休赛期会聚在一起,待在同一个地方。

We would meet up during the season or the off season and be in the same place.

Speaker 0

这是我们所有人共同的语言。

It was the common language we all spoke.

Speaker 0

它就是一切。

It was it was everything.

Speaker 0

第二天,这一切就消失了。

The next day that's gone.

Speaker 0

在接下来的一年里,这种联系逐渐淡化,因为你不再出现在圈子里了,朋友们虽然还是朋友,但你见不到他们,共同的兴趣也开始消退。

And over the next year that fades away because you're no longer on the scene and the friends they're still friends, but you don't see them and the common interest starts to fade.

Speaker 0

这让我陷入了一段黑暗时期,我一直在想:我这辈子该做什么?

And, that kind of led to this dark period for me where I was like, what am I gonna do with my life?

Speaker 0

那时我二十出头,余生还很长,但我感到非常迷茫,因为我真的不知道该做什么。

At this point, was in my early twenties, so the rest of my life was still ahead of me, but I felt so lost, because I was I I just I didn't really know what to do.

Speaker 0

没有了那个远大目标的想法让我感到恐惧,这确实引发了一段不断思考‘我人生该何去何从’的时期。

And and the idea of not having that big goal was terrifying, and it really led to this period of trying to figure out what am I gonna do with my life.

Speaker 0

有时候听起来有点荒谬,但当时就是那样,是的。

It sounds a little ridiculous sometimes, but it was just kind of yeah.

Speaker 0

这是一种身份危机:你该如何重塑自己?

It was this identity crisis of how do you reinvent yourself?

Speaker 0

当你连自己想要什么都不知道时,该如何建立新的社交圈?

How do you build a new network around something you don't even know?

Speaker 0

我擅长什么呢?

And what am I good at?

Speaker 0

你知道吗?

You know?

Speaker 0

我最终并没有上完大学。

Like, I I didn't go end up going and or finishing university.

Speaker 0

你知道的。

You know?

Speaker 0

我之前没做过其他职业工作。

I I hadn't worked any other career jobs.

Speaker 0

我偶尔做些零工,但骑行才是我的生活。

I worked the odd jobs here and there, but cycling was my life.

Speaker 0

当然。

Sure.

Speaker 0

你可以去当教练之类的工作,但那并不是我真正的热情所在。

You could go into coaching or something like that, but that wasn't really where my my passion was.

Speaker 0

真正重要的是实现某个宏大的目标,最终掌握自己的命运。

It was really about that fulfilling some large goal and ultimately being in kind of control of my destiny.

Speaker 0

所以,那大约是两年的时间,我一直在努力摸索、理解并真正弄清楚这一切。

And So it was about a two year period of trying to navigate that and figure it out and and really make sense of it.

Speaker 0

你就是那时候开始创业的吗?

Is that when you started the business?

Speaker 0

做生意是我唯一的出路。

The business was the way out.

Speaker 0

在那两年里,我尝试了很多事情。

So during that two years, I tried a bunch of things.

Speaker 0

我一直在申请工作。

I was applying for jobs.

Speaker 0

我最终进入了我居住的加拿大不列颠哥伦比亚省维多利亚市的当地大学,学习体育管理。

I ended up getting into the local college in Victoria where I live in Victoria, BC for sport management.

Speaker 0

我认为顺理成章的下一步就是从事体育相关的职业。

I thought the logical step here was a career in sport.

Speaker 0

就像我之前说的,当教练。

It's like I said, coaching.

Speaker 0

这就是我的技能所在。

It's like, here's my skill set.

Speaker 0

我该如何将这些技能应用到未来呢?

How do I apply that moving forward?

Speaker 0

这里最合逻辑的做法是什么?

What's the logical thing to do here?

Speaker 0

所以,在进入体育管理领域的同时,我还在加拿大体育研究所找到了一份工作,负责与未来的奥运选手合作。

So getting to sport management, I simultaneously got a job with the Canadian Sport Institute, was working with future Olympians.

Speaker 0

从纸面上看,我做的都是理所当然的事,是运动员退役后通常会走的路,但我的内心却已经枯竭。

I was on paper doing what made sense, what you would see the typical post athlete do, and I was dead inside.

Speaker 0

我只是觉得,这不可能就是全部了。

I was just like, this can't be it.

Speaker 0

你知道,我正在做别人认为正确的事。

You know, I'm doing what is supposed to be right.

Speaker 0

这就是每个人都说正确的事。

This is what everyone says is right.

Speaker 0

而我当时想,如果这就是我余生的全部,我不确定自己能不能承受。

And I was like, if this is the rest of my life, I'm not sure I can do this.

Speaker 0

当时我正读大学的第二年,我读的是四年制项目,还剩三年,但我已经开始感到焦虑:学业快结束了,真实的生活就要来了。

And at the time I was going into my second year of school and I was kind of I was in a four year program, so three more years left, but I was starting to get that angst of like, this is gonna be over soon, and like real life's gonna hit.

Speaker 0

我预计将更深地投入这份职业,继续沿着这条我根本不想走的路走下去。

I'm gonna be expected to like go deeper into the career and just kinda go further down this path I'm on that I really don't wanna be on.

Speaker 0

我不记得自己是怎么走上这条路的,但不知怎么的,我听了蒂姆·费里斯的《四小时工作周》,听起来简直老生常谈。

And I don't know how I got onto it, but I, for some reason, listened and listened or read to the four hour week four hour work week by Tim Ferriss, and it sounds so so trite.

Speaker 0

这太普遍了。

It's so it's so common.

Speaker 0

我读了这本书,它真正教会了我一些东西,我记得当时我正身处何处。

I got into that book and what it really taught me, I can remember exactly where I was.

Speaker 0

我正在一个当地的高尔夫球场散步,你知道,我更喜欢听书而不是看书。

I was walking around a local golf course, you know, I listened to books more than than read them.

Speaker 0

这个想法,听这本书让我突然意识到:哦,我觉得我这里有一些技能。

This idea, listening to the book really gave me the idea that, oh, I think I have some skills here.

Speaker 0

你说的哪些地方是合理的?

What are you saying makes sense?

Speaker 0

我理解这一点,而且我觉得我能做到。

I understand this and I think I can do it.

Speaker 0

商业听起来很有趣。

Business sounds interesting.

Speaker 0

而书中对它的描述就像是,哦,这是一场商业运动。

And the way it was framed in that way was like, oh, this is the sport of business.

Speaker 0

这是一项我可以去尝试的新事物,不一定非要赢,但目标很大。

Like, this is a new thing that I can go and try to, like, compete in and not necessarily win, but just a big goal.

Speaker 0

这让我感到非常兴奋。

And that was so exciting to me.

Speaker 0

它就像一条新的道路,而且更有持久性。

It was like a new a new path and it had more longevity.

Speaker 0

有更多的收入机会,这让我无比兴奋。

There was more income opportunity, and that was incredibly exciting.

Speaker 0

然后这逐渐演变成:我如何才能留在体育领域,但站在桌子的另一边?

And that kind of evolved into how do I stay in sport but on the other side of the table?

Speaker 0

你知道,如果我不打算走教练或运动员这类更常见的路,我能否在体育领域建立一家企业或品牌?

You know, if I'm not gonna be in coaching or an athlete or on the kind of more common path, is there a way that I can build a business or a brand in the athletic space?

Speaker 0

我当时的想法是,如何让这场派对持续下去,同时设定一个新的大目标,去追逐某样东西。

Like, how do I keep this party going was kind of the idea while also having a new big goal and trying to just chase something.

Speaker 0

为什么是袜子?

Why socks?

Speaker 0

在自行车运动中,袜子是文化的重要组成部分。

Socks, particularly in cycling, are a large part of the culture.

Speaker 0

在自行车运动中,虽然你参加的是个人项目。

So in cycling, when you're on a team, it's an individual sport.

Speaker 0

我们是个人参赛,但属于一个团队。

We race individually, but you're on a team.

Speaker 0

无论你是代表国家队还是你的赞助车队,都会获得一套装备。

And the team, whether it's national or your your sponsorship team, you'll get a kit.

Speaker 0

所以你们都会穿得一模一样。

So you'll all look the same.

Speaker 0

你会和队友们穿着完全一样的服装。

You look the same as your teammates.

展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
Speaker 0

袜子是你能随意穿着任何款式的地方。

Socks were this area where you could wear whatever you wanted.

Speaker 0

所以我总是穿一些颜色很奇特的袜子。

And so I would always wear kind of funky colored socks.

Speaker 0

我实际上还获得过袜子的赞助。

I actually had a sock sponsorship.

Speaker 0

这让我父母最终能在山坡上认出我,因为你看着一群骑手从山坡上下来,而我会穿非常醒目的袜子,比如粉红色和蓝色,你就能一眼认出:哦,那个是罗布。

That was a way that my parents ultimately could pick me out on the hill because you're watching a bunch of bikers come down the hill and I would wear really loud socks like pink and blue, and you could kind of spot that and be like, okay, that there's Rob.

Speaker 0

除此之外,这也是表达个性的一种方式。

Beyond that was a way to kind of like express your individuality.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

就好比,你身处一片千篇一律的海洋中。

It's like, okay, you're in the sea of sameness.

Speaker 0

我怎样才能在人群中展现一点自我呢?

How can I have a little bit of me out there?

Speaker 0

所以袜子早已融入我的血液,我把这种运动中的心态带到了现实生活中。

And so socks were already in my blood, so I took that same kind of mentality out of sport into the real world.

Speaker 0

所以在学校,我会在体育课上穿那些袜子,在工作中也穿,因此在创办袜子生意之前,我就已经被称为‘袜子达人’了。

So at school, I would wear those socks in the gym at work, and so I became known as the sock guy before owning a sock business.

Speaker 0

当我决定创业时,我就开始思考:我擅长什么?我喜欢什么?我认为什么可以改进?

And so when it became times like I'm gonna start a business, I started thinking of like, what do I know and what do I like and what do I think can be improved?

Speaker 0

当时,我特别喜欢Lululemon和红牛这样的品牌。

And I ultimately wanted at the time I loved brands like Lululemon and Red Bull.

Speaker 0

这两个品牌在运动员营销和产品开发方面,对我来说都是顶级的。

Those were two, like, kind of top tier brands for me around their athlete marketing, their product development.

Speaker 0

我非常喜欢这些品牌的一切。

I just I loved everything about those brands.

Speaker 0

我当时想,我其实并不懂技术。

I was like, I don't really I'm not technical.

Speaker 0

我没有特别擅长的技能。

I didn't have, like, a particular set of skills.

Speaker 0

我觉得服装领域似乎是我更容易进入并理解的领域。

I was like, apparel seems like a more an area that I could get into and understand.

Speaker 0

我有一些技能可以在那里发挥作用,而服装中最简单的形式是什么呢?

I've got some skills I could do there and what's, you know, what's like the simplest form of apparel?

Speaker 0

至少,我当时的想法是,嗯,我对袜子还挺了解的。

At least, you know, my my thinking back then was like, oh, I kinda know socks.

Speaker 0

袜子似乎是个不错的起点,因为从投入成本来看,启动起来风险相对较低。

Socks seemed like a good place to start because relatively low risk in terms of how much I would need to invest to get get started.

Speaker 0

这所有因素综合起来,就是我的决定。

It was the the culmination of all of those things.

Speaker 0

我现在大概能讲一个故事,说明为什么袜子是个了不起的商业机会——它确实是。

And I could probably tell a story right now of like why socks were this incredible business opportunity, which they are.

Speaker 0

但当时我只是觉得,袜子挺酷的。

But at the time I was just like, socks are cool.

Speaker 0

你知道的?

You know?

Speaker 0

我觉得袜子还有改进的空间。

I think socks could be improved.

Speaker 0

当我沿着这条路深入下去时,我发现袜子领域实际上存在着巨大的机会。

And it turned out as I went further down that path, I uncovered how much opportunity actually existed in socks.

Speaker 0

最终,我的洞察是整个世界正在向运动休闲风转变。

And, you know, ultimately the insight was the entire world was moving towards athleisure.

Speaker 0

我们正进入一种更不传统、更不正式的着装方式,更加注重功能性。

We were coming into a less traditional, less formal way of dressing, and much more into a more functional way of dressing.

Speaker 0

我们可以从服装中看到这一点,比如我现在穿的裤子,或者瑜伽裤。

And we can see that with our clothing, the pants I'm wearing right now, for example, or the yoga pants.

Speaker 0

当我审视袜子这一品类时,发现它们仍然局限于特定用途。

And when I looked at the sock category, they remained use case specific.

Speaker 0

它们被分为运动袜、跑步袜或正装袜。

So they're recycling socks or running socks or dress socks.

Speaker 0

我当时就想,为什么没有一种适合脚的瑜伽裤呢?

I was like, why isn't there a yoga pant for the foot?

Speaker 0

这就是那个想法。

That was the idea.

Speaker 0

你看瑜伽裤,多么多功能啊。

It's like, look at the yoga pant, how versatile that is.

Speaker 0

你可以穿着它锻炼、正式或休闲场合都行。

You can wear it exercising, dress it up, down, casual.

Speaker 0

我觉得这是一件功能强大、很棒又时尚的服装。

I was like, what a functional, fantastic, and fashionable piece of apparel.

Speaker 0

那为什么我们的袜子不能像那样呢?

It's like, why are our socks not like that?

Speaker 0

于是这就是那个简单的想法,我对此着了迷,觉得这完全可以改进。

And so that was the simple idea and I got kind of obsessed with it and I was like, this can be improved.

Speaker 1

我记得第一次穿上你们的袜子时的情景。

I remember the first time I tried on a pair of your socks.

Speaker 1

我以前从未想过袜子这件事。

I had never thought about socks before.

Speaker 1

我的意思是,我以前就是那种去商店里挑最便宜的袜子、按每双价格算的人。

I mean, I was the guy who sort of went to the store and like, what's the cheapest per pair of socks that I can get?

Speaker 1

穿上脚上,它们就是简单地遮住脚而已,这就是袜子的功能。

Put them on your feet, they sort of cover up your feet and that's what they do.

Speaker 1

然后我试穿了一双你们的袜子,我忘了自己是怎么拿到第一双的。

And then I tried on a pair of yours and I forget how I got the first pair.

Speaker 1

我觉得是朋友送给我的。

I think a friend gave it to me.

Speaker 1

然后我立刻去了你们的网站,把抽屉里所有的袜子都扔了,重新买了一整抽屉的新袜子。

And then I instantly went to your website and I ordered, like I threw out every sock in my drawer and I just ordered a brand new drawer of socks.

Speaker 1

我以前从没想过好袜子和差袜子有什么区别,现在我还是说不上来,但我就是知道你们的袜子穿起来特别舒服。

I had never thought about the difference between a good pair of socks and a bad pair of socks, I still have no idea, but I know your socks feel really good.

Speaker 1

好袜子和差袜子的区别到底在哪里?

What's the difference between a good pair and a bad pair?

Speaker 0

你所说的这种情况并不少见。

So what you said is not uncommon.

Speaker 0

如果你从孩子角度想袜子,它们是世界上最差的礼物。

If you think about socks in general, they're the world's worst gift as you're a kid.

Speaker 0

这总是你父母会送给你的礼物。

It's what your parents always would get you as a gift.

Speaker 1

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 1

如果你表现不好,圣诞节就送你几双袜子。

If you're bad for Christmas, here's some socks.

Speaker 0

没错。

Exactly.

Speaker 0

这简直像是一种惩罚。

It was almost a punishment.

Speaker 0

而作为成年人,你渐渐开始讨厌这种产品,勉强在百货商店购买。

And then as an adult, you've learned to almost hate this product and buy it begrudgingly at the department store.

Speaker 0

这只是一个顺带的想法。

It's an afterthought.

Speaker 0

没人真正关心自己的袜子。

No one actually thinks about their socks.

Speaker 0

因此,我们生活在一个世界里,超过90%的人在仔细考虑他们穿的每一件衣服,唯独忽略了最重要的一件。

And so we're living in this world of 90 plus percent of the population is thinking a lot about everything they wear except for one of the most important things.

Speaker 0

真的,可以说是与你身体最贴近地面的那件衣物。

Really, like, one of the like, the pair of apparel that touches the ground with you.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

而这恰恰是站立、行走以及你所有活动的基础感受。

And this is is kind of foundational to to the feeling right up standing and walking and everything you do.

Speaker 0

发现这个品类竟如此被忽视,非常有意思,但到底是什么让一双袜子与众不同呢?

The idea that this was an unaware category was super interesting, but what makes a sock special?

Speaker 0

我的意思是,有很多因素。

I mean, there's so many things.

Speaker 0

比如你平时买的普通袜子,质量都很差。

Like the common socks you'll buy, they're just low quality.

Speaker 0

袜子的接缝不是无缝的,所以会产生热点和挤压感。

The seams, they're not seamless, so they're gonna, you know, create hotspots and pinching.

Speaker 0

它们通常是低质量的棉质材料,会吸收汗水,导致水泡。

They're gonna be typically probably low quality cotton, and so they're gonna absorb sweat, which leads to blisters.

Speaker 0

还有很多其他因素。

There's a ton of different things.

Speaker 0

如果你看看任何一双优质的运动袜,特别是我们的产品,它们都是无缝设计的。

If you look at, you know, any good athletic sock and specifically ours, they're gonna be seamless.

Speaker 0

它们具有吸湿排汗功能。

They're gonna be moisture wicking.

Speaker 0

它们带有支撑结构,比如足弓部位的支撑,有助于缓解中足疲劳。

They're gonna have support, so there's gonna be support in the arch to help with, you know, midfoot fatigue.

Speaker 0

会有针对性的缓震设计,比如脚掌与地面接触的部位。

There's gonna be strategic cushioning, so, like, where is the foot making contact with the ground?

Speaker 0

我们可以聊上好几天,但最终,我想解决的问题是:我希望找到一双极其舒适、适用于多种运动或活动的袜子,这源于我个人的需求。

We could go on for days, but ultimately, what I was trying to solve for was, like, I want something that is gonna be incredibly comfortable, useful across a bunch of different sports or activities, and it was born out of a personal need.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

正如我所说,我当时在上学,同时还在工作,但依然坚持训练和保持活跃。

Like I said, I was going to school, I was working a job, and I was still training and staying active.

Speaker 0

那时我正在参加一些铁人三项,我想找一双能胜任所有这些活动的袜子。

I was doing some triathlons at the time, and I wanted a pair of socks that could do all of those things.

Speaker 0

因为之前我提到过,我会穿骑行袜去学校,但它们并不适合跑步。

Because the cycling socks I mentioned I would wear at school, they weren't great for running.

Speaker 0

它们会下滑。

They would fall down.

Speaker 0

袜口的压缩力不够。

The cuff wasn't compressive enough.

Speaker 0

于是我就开始思考,为什么这种袜子没有做得更好呢?

And so I was like, that led to that kind of discovery of like, why isn't this better?

Speaker 0

最终,一双好的袜子应该是有支撑性的。

And ultimately, a good pair of socks should be supportive.

Speaker 0

它们应该看起来好看。

They should look good.

Speaker 0

它们应该穿起来舒服。

They should feel good.

Speaker 0

它们应该能胜任几乎所有的活动。

They should be able to do almost everything in them.

Speaker 0

我的意思是,这看起来显而易见,但当时并不是这样。

I mean, that seems obvious, but it wasn't at the time.

Speaker 1

这太疯狂了。

It's crazy.

Speaker 1

它们几乎就像压缩袜一样,对吧?

They're almost like compression socks too, right?

Speaker 1

它们包裹脚部的感觉非常好,脚丫子都感到很开心。

Like they feel really good around your feet and your feet just feel happy.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

这就像是给脚一个拥抱,你知道的,那种微妙的平衡。

That's the fine balance of like it's like a hug for your feet, you know?

Speaker 0

但你怎么才能不让它太紧,又如何让它适配各种不同大小的脚呢?

And and but how do you not make that too compressive and how do you make that work across a wide variety of foot sizes?

Speaker 0

我们并不总是完美,但这就是我们的目标。

And we're not always perfect, but that is the goal.

Speaker 0

它应该紧紧贴合腿部而不下滑,但同时脱下时又不能留下勒痕,这真的很难做到。

Like, it should hug the leg and not fall down, but it also should come off the leg without leaving marks, which is a tough thing to do.

Speaker 0

我们一直在努力改进这一点,但我认为我们已经找到了一个不错的平衡。

We are striving to always improve that, but I think we've got a good mix.

Speaker 0

你的经历并不罕见。

And your story is not uncommon.

Speaker 0

人们会进来买一双袜子,通常是因为我们的袜子有很有趣的图案。

The people will come in and they'll buy a pair, typically because a lot of our socks have fun designs on them.

Speaker 0

我们很早就意识到,就像骑行一样,袜子是人们表达个性的一种方式。

What we recognize early on is socks are this, like I mentioned with cycling, socks are this way that people can express individuality.

Speaker 0

在这个过程中,人们有不同的方式来表达,比如他们喜欢庆祝自己喜爱的动物,或者自然景观,又或者他们最爱的食物。

And within that, people have different ways they like to do that, whether they like to celebrate different animals they love or, you know, nature landscapes or their favorite food.

Speaker 0

所以我们发现,这在数字上真的很难,因为我们主要在线上销售。

So we discovered that, like, it's really hard digitally because we're primarily sold all online.

Speaker 0

我们也在实体店销售,但大部分业务还是主要在线上。

We're also sold in store, but primarily online, at least for the the majority of the business.

Speaker 0

如何通过电脑屏幕或手机屏幕,让你在没有实际穿上袜子的情况下,感受到它的舒适?

How through the the computer screen or the phone screen can we convince you that this sock feels good without putting it on your feet?

Speaker 0

这真的很难。

That's really tough.

Speaker 0

一个更简单的方法是引发你的情感共鸣,比如,我超爱猫。

An easier way is to give you an emotional response being like, I love cats, for example.

Speaker 0

我想买这双袜子,因为它上面有猫的图案。

I wanna buy that sock because it has cats on it.

Speaker 0

但我们知道,这双袜子是你穿过最棒的一双。

But what we know is that's the best pair of socks you're ever going to put on.

Speaker 0

所以这个人因为喜欢这个设计而买了这双袜子,穿上后,就像你一样,会惊讶地说:天啊,我根本不知道袜子还能这么舒服。

And so that person buys the pair of socks because they like the design, they put it on, and then like you, they come back and go, oh my, like, I didn't even know socks could feel like this.

Speaker 0

他们用这双袜子替换掉了整个袜子抽屉。

And they replaced their sock drawer with it.

Speaker 0

这正是我们的使命,或者说是我们对这项业务的愿景:彻底取代传统的袜子抽屉。

And that's that's quite literally, you know, our mission is to like or our vision for the business is to replace the sock drawer.

Speaker 0

我真心相信,我们应该能做出一双全天候表现优异的袜子,让人可以根据自己喜欢的高度和材质,把整个抽屉都填满,早上再也不用纠结穿哪双。

I truly believe that we should be able to make a great all day performance sock that someone could line their whole drawer with based on what height they like and what kind of material they like, and you shouldn't have to make a decision in the morning anymore of what you're gonna wear.

Speaker 0

这双袜子会替你做决定。

It's like that sock will do it for you.

Speaker 1

你创业初期有合伙人吗?

Did you have a business partner when you started?

Speaker 0

我创业的时候还在上学。

I was in school when I started the business.

Speaker 0

我当时是大二。

I was in my second year.

Speaker 0

我只是有了这个想法。

I just had the idea.

Speaker 0

你知道,当我宣布我要创业时,我正躺在床上听那本书,差不多是在经历每晚的身份危机或存在主义危机,然后突然灵光一现。

You know, when I said I'm gonna start a business, I was quite literally listening to that book, laying in bed kind of, you know, having my nightly identity crisis, some existential crisis, like, it just snapped.

Speaker 0

他当时说:我要创业。

He was like, I'm gonna start a business.

Speaker 0

我当场就爬起来,打开苹果备忘录,开始思考各种品牌名称,然后去学校找我当时的好朋友。

I kinda got up right there and started opening my Apple notes, started thinking about different brand names and went to school and I talked to my good friend at the time.

Speaker 0

我和一位同学建立了很好的友谊。

I developed a good a a great friendship with a classmate.

Speaker 0

我们总是一起做课堂项目。

We would do all our class projects together.

Speaker 0

我们甚至在外面还一起接了份工作。

We actually got a job together outside of work.

Speaker 0

我当时为一个品牌做销售代表,就拉上了他。

I was doing some rep work for a brand, and I got him involved.

Speaker 0

我们在做一些地推营销,所以相处得不错。

We're doing some field marketing, and so we got on well.

Speaker 0

你知道,我们是朋友。

You know, we're friends.

Speaker 0

我们合作得很愉快,但我根本没指望这生意能成功。

We worked well together, and I didn't expect the business to work.

Speaker 0

我当时就想,这几率也太小了吧?

I was like, it was it's like, what are the odds?

Speaker 0

这是一个前运动员,学业一般,毫无商业经验的人,却立志要创办一家袜子公司。

Here's this, like, former athlete guy that's kinda, like, not particularly great at school, has no business experience, who set a goal to build a sock company.

Speaker 0

大家都觉得我疯了。

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

Speaker 0

有些人到现在还是这么觉得。

Like, some people still do.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

于是我心想,有个朋友一起做会有趣得多,顺便说一句,这简直是找人合伙创业最糟糕的理由。

And so I was like, this would be way more fun with a friend, which by the way is like the world's worst reason to start a business with someone.

Speaker 0

只是因为和朋友一起做很有趣,这是我事后才明白的。

Just because it's fun to do with a friend that I've learned in hindsight.

Speaker 0

但当时我根本没有问自己一个问题,而我认为这对创业者,乃至所有人来说都至关重要:如果这件事成功了会怎样?

But, you know, ultimately what I didn't ask myself at the time, which I think is so important for entrepreneurs and just people in general to ask themselves, is what happens if this goes right?

Speaker 0

普遍的看法是人们要为下行风险做好准备。

The common knowledge is for people to hedge their downside.

Speaker 0

他们会问:如果这件事失败了会怎样?

They go, what happens if this goes wrong?

Speaker 0

这很合理,没错。

And that's very that's fair.

Speaker 0

人们希望保护自己,毕竟这些本质上都是高风险的尝试。

People wanna protect themselves, and these are ultimately risky endeavors.

Speaker 0

但当时我根本没问自己:如果这件事成功了会怎样?

But I didn't ask myself at the time, like, what happens if this goes right?

Speaker 0

因为如果你仔细想想,我总是告诉年轻创业者的是,哪种失败会更痛苦?

Because if you think about it, and what I try to always tell young entrepreneurs is like, what would be more painful?

Speaker 0

是因为失败了没成功,还是因为成功了却没抓住机会?

Failing because it didn't work or failing because it did and you didn't capture the opportunity?

Speaker 0

后者会痛苦得多。

That would be so much more painful.

Speaker 0

我觉得在我的自行车运动生涯中,就发生过类似的事情。

I felt like that kinda happened in my cycling career.

Speaker 0

所以,我现在非常努力,不想再重蹈覆辙。

So, you know, I've like, I'm working really hard now to not kinda repeat that mistake.

Speaker 0

但,是的,我和一位商业伙伴一起创办了这家公司,当时它只是我们随便做做的一件事,感觉还不错。

But, yeah, I started it with a business partner, and it was fine when it was kind of, like, just something we were doing.

Speaker 0

但你知道,当它开始有起色时,正如我所说,我根本没指望它能成功,但这并不意味着我不全情投入。

But, you know, ultimately as it started to get a little bit of traction, like I said, I didn't expect it to work, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't incredibly committed.

Speaker 0

我简直着了魔。

You know, I was obsessed.

Speaker 0

我一决定要做这件事,就全身心投入了。

The second I decided to do it, I was all in.

Speaker 0

我读遍了我能找到的所有商业书籍。

I was reading every business book I could find.

Speaker 0

就像我说的,我本来就具有创业的倾向。

I was you know, like I said, had entrepreneurial tendencies.

Speaker 0

我只是还不知道而已。

I just didn't know.

Speaker 0

这些特质在我运动生涯中已经存在了很久,所以我当时心想:哦,我终于找到商业了,于是彻底沉迷其中。

They had manifested in sport for so long that I was like, oh, I found business now and I just got obsessed with it.

Speaker 0

但我的商业伙伴并不是这样。

The same was not true of my business partner.

Speaker 0

这并不是他的风格。

That wasn't kind of his thing.

Speaker 0

你知道,他可能并不认为自己是个创业者。

You know, he wasn't necessarily I don't think he would identify himself as an entrepreneur.

Speaker 0

随着业务开始增长,我们早期运气不错,生意逐渐上了轨道。

So as things started to grow and we were pretty lucky with some early success, the business started to work.

Speaker 0

第一年,我们主要在本地卖袜子,收入达到了六位数。

You know, in the first year we did, you know, multi 6 figure revenue of just selling socks kind of around town for the most part.

Speaker 0

我卖的第一批袜子,是装在保鲜盒里带到学校,面对面地推销给学生和老师,简直就像‘你不买这些,我们就不是朋友’。

The first socks I sold, I just took to school in a Tupperware and hand to hand combat and sold them to students, teachers, basically, like, you know, we're not friends if you don't buy these.

Speaker 0

所以,这就是它起步的方式。

And so that was, like, how it got started.

Speaker 0

最终,一年后,这件事开始变得认真起来。

And so ultimately after a year, it started to get real.

Speaker 0

就像常见的故事那样,工作需要占用夜晚和周末的时间。

Like, the work required nights and weekends is that the common stories go.

Speaker 0

很明显,这与他的价值观不符。

And, you know, it became pretty clear that this was out of line with his values.

Speaker 0

我们早期并没有讨论过:我们从这件事中想要得到什么?

We didn't have those discussions early on of like, what do we want out of this?

Speaker 0

因为我们做这件事只是为了好玩。

Because we were doing it for fun.

Speaker 0

我们是朋友。

We were friends.

Speaker 0

我们只是想好好玩一玩,试试新东西。

We just wanted to have a good time and try try something.

Speaker 0

这真的打发了时间,尤其是在上学的时候。

It really kill time and and during school.

Speaker 0

我原本以为会继续上学,顺其自然地走下去,但对我来说,这很快演变成了‘天啊’。

Like, always expected just to continue with school and kinda continue on, but that for me evolved very quickly into like, oh, no.

Speaker 0

我可以做到这件事。

I can do this.

Speaker 0

你知道,我真的很喜欢这个。

You know, like, I really like this.

Speaker 0

这里有一个巨大的机会。

There's a big opportunity here.

Speaker 0

所以,随着时间推移,这种紧张感逐渐加剧,我们之间在讨论现状时的沟通差距也越来越大,因为我只是在疯狂地吸收知识、学习,因为我对此着迷。

So, ultimately over time that tension started to grow and the gap between our abilities to have conversations of what's going on because I was just consuming knowledge and trying to learn at such a rate because I was obsessed with it.

Speaker 0

我们越来越难以就对业务的期望达成一致,这最终导致他离开了公司并辞职。

It became very difficult for us to be aligned on what we wanted out of the business, which ultimately led to him leaving the business and quitting.

Speaker 0

事实上,我们根本没有妥善解决这个问题。

True form, we didn't have any proper resolution for that.

Speaker 0

我们没有股东协议。

We didn't have a shareholders agreement.

Speaker 0

我们在成立公司时几乎每件事都做错了,这其实很容易发生,因为当时几乎没有任何优质的资源能帮助创业者。

We didn't like we just did almost everything wrong when setting up the company, which is really easy to do because there's almost no great resources for helping an entrepreneur.

Speaker 0

而最终要签订正式的法律协议却很昂贵,而我们创业时每人只投入了一千美元。

And ultimately to get the proper legal agreements is expensive when you have like we started the business with a thousand dollars each.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

所以每人投一千块进去。

So put a thousand bucks in.

Speaker 0

我们只有这些钱,全都花在了库存上。

That's all we had and it all went in inventory.

Speaker 0

根本没有钱用于法律协议或请律师。

There was no money for a legal agreement or a lawyer.

Speaker 0

你正处于创业的蜜月期。

And you're in the honeymoon phase of business.

Speaker 0

当然,你永远不会和合伙人吵架。

Of course, you're never gonna fight with your partner.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

一切都很好。

Everything's great.

Speaker 0

一定会成功的。

It's gonna be successful.

Speaker 0

但一旦现实问题出现,这些事情就变得至关重要,至少应该讨论一下,而我们根本没有讨论过。

But once shit gets real, that's when those those kind of things are super important to have at least a discussion about, and there was no discussion.

Speaker 0

所以他离开了公司,没有任何解决方案,这直接导致我不得不想办法解决这个问题,过程非常混乱。

And so he left the business, there was no resolution, and that kind of led into this this period of where I had to figure out how to how to resolve that, and it was super messy.

Speaker 0

最终我们达成了一项协议,我买断了他的股份,大约在公司成立两年半的时候关闭了这部分业务。

Ultimately ended up coming to an arrangement and buying them out about and ended up kind of closing two, two and a half years into the business.

Speaker 0

2019年3月左右,他正式离开公司,我获得了完全控制权。

And kind of March 2019 is when he officially left the business and I got full control.

Speaker 0

我认为这才是真正的转折点。

And that's kind of what I peg is like the real star.

Speaker 0

那时我才下定决心全力以赴,因为我不得不申请个人贷款,金额高达15万美元,简直疯狂。

That's where I was like, I'm all in because I had to go take out a personal loan to make it happen of like a $150,000, which was insane.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

我记得我们终于就金额达成一致,但我根本拿不出这笔钱。

I remember we finally agreed on a number and I didn't have that money.

Speaker 0

我当时还有学生贷款。

I had student debt.

Speaker 0

我银行里的钱正好相反,但我非常坚定。

I had the exact opposite of money in the bank, but I was so committed.

Speaker 0

那时候我们之前也谈过,关于这种心态和愿意全身心投入的态度。

Around that, we talked about earlier around just the mindset and the willingness to kind of just go all in.

Speaker 0

我跑遍了镇上所有的银行,当时就想,好吧。

I went to every bank in town and would just I was like, okay.

Speaker 0

我有信用卡,可以刷出来。

I've got credit cards I'll draw out on.

Speaker 0

我还有信贷额度。

I've got a line of credit.

Speaker 0

我有一些学生贷款。

I've got some student loans.

Speaker 0

我当时的女友,现在的妻子,说:‘我来签字。’

My then girlfriend, now wife, like, was like, I'll sign on.

Speaker 0

我们去申请一些贷款。

We'll get some loans.

Speaker 0

我通过这些各种高利率、高风险的资金来源,最终凑齐了这笔钱。

And I was able to kind of put the money together through all these various very high interest, high risk kind of funding sources.

Speaker 0

因为我并不想向别人开口。

Because I didn't wanna ask anyone else.

Speaker 0

我相信这件事,但我不想让任何人承担风险。

I believe in this, but I don't want put anyone else at risk.

Speaker 0

我愿意独自承担这一切,勇往直前。

I'm willing to take this on and put it on my shoulders and go.

Speaker 0

这样做之后,我现在的岳父主动联系我,他说:‘我很欣赏你愿意这么做,但我可以借钱给你。’

The act of doing that, actually, my now father-in-law reached out after he's like, hey, look, I appreciate that you were willing to do this, but I'll loan you the money.

Speaker 0

我永远感激他,因为这不仅是对我的信任,也让我能够继续前进,而且我特别自豪的是,几年后我就把钱还给了他。

I'm forever grateful for that because, a, it was a vote of confidence and it was it just it it allowed me to kind of, you know, push on and I was super proud to be able to pay him back in a couple years too.

Speaker 0

我们很快就还清了,而且条款本身也非常合理,但我就想尽快把他的钱还回去。

We paid him out like relatively quickly and the terms were super fair anyways, but it's like, I wanna get his money back.

Speaker 0

我对此负有极其重大的责任

And I take that responsibility incredibly

Speaker 1

圣诞晚餐将会

Christmas dinner is gonna

Speaker 0

相当尴尬。

be pretty awkward.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

对。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

当然。

Course.

Speaker 0

但我对这件事有极强的信念,我愿意做任何事来把钱还回去。

And but I had such high conviction that like, I would do anything to get that money back.

Speaker 0

如果生意没能成功,这笔钱会优先归还。

If the business wasn't gonna fill out, that money would go back first.

Speaker 0

你知道的,我非常重视这类事情。

And you know, I take those sorts of things.

Speaker 0

当有人押注在我身上,或者我的员工、投资者等等,我都极其认真对待。

Like, when people bet on me or, you know, my employees or investors, whatever, I take that incredibly seriously.

Speaker 0

你最应该关注的首要事情,就是对那些相信你、押注在你身上的人负责。

The number one thing you should be focused on is, like, doing right by the people that believe in you and bet on you.

Speaker 1

第一个押注在你身上的人是谁?

Who is the first person to ever bet on you?

Speaker 0

我妈妈。

My mom.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

所以我上了大学,但退学了。

So I went to university and dropped out.

Speaker 0

这在我们家里造成了很大的裂痕,因为上大学是条安全的路。

So that's like that was a big rift in our family because going to university was the safe path.

Speaker 0

那是条众所周知的路:我爸爸卖保险,我妈妈在生了我们之后就待在家里,非常传统,就是上学、找份工作、组建家庭。

That was the known path of you know, my dad sold insurance and, you know, my mom when when she had us stayed at home and it was it was super traditional, super go to school, get get whatever job, build a family.

Speaker 0

所以当时决定全身心投入自行车事业,对大多数人来说简直是个空想,这确实造成了我们家庭的巨大分歧,但妈妈,我能感觉到她内心深处是相信我的,她知道我能行。

And so the idea of kind of going all in on this cycling career at the time was just like a pipe dream for the most part, and it wasn't really anything yet was a big rift, but mom, like, I could tell deep down she was like, I know you got this.

Speaker 0

我知道你一定能找到办法。

I know you'll figure it out.

Speaker 0

那时候我总是对父母说,昨天我还跟你提过,每当我要实现一个大目标时,我都会同时持有两种信念。

Because what I would always say to my parents at the time, and I was telling you about this yesterday, is like, whenever I have these big goals, I kinda hold two beliefs at the same time.

Speaker 0

一种信念是,我绝对确信自己能成功。

One belief is I'm absolutely sure I'll pull this off.

Speaker 0

我毫不怀疑。

Like, I have no doubt.

Speaker 0

我一定会找到解决办法,但我完全不知道该怎么做。

I will figure this out, but I have no idea how I'm going to do it.

Speaker 0

我无法向他们清晰地描述出来,这对父母来说非常困难,因为他们想相信我,但他们需要看到一条明确的路径。

I could not articulate that, which is very difficult for a parent because they're like, I wanna believe you, but I need to see some path with it.

Speaker 0

你到底有什么计划,伙计?

What is the plan, dude?

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

结果一切顺利,做生意时也是如此。

It ended up working out, and it was the same thing in business too.

Speaker 0

我完全不知道该怎么做到,但我确信我能做成,而且一定会成功。

It's like, have no idea how I'm gonna do this, but I do know I can do it and it's going to work out.

Speaker 0

我妈妈总是默默地在旁边说,我知道你能想出办法。

My mom being like, you know, kind of just on the side, you know, being like, I know you'll figure it out.

Speaker 0

这真的非常重要。

That was, you know, so important.

Speaker 0

她一直站在我这边,始终相信我、理解我与众不同。

She's always kind of been in my corner like that, and certainly the the person to kind of bet on me and and understand I was different.

Speaker 0

你知道吗?

You know?

Speaker 0

她明白,我小时候对事情有着强烈的热情,而且我想她对创业其实也没有什么概念,因为那根本不是家里讨论的话题。

She understood that, like, I was intensely passionate about things as a kid, and I don't think also she really had a frame for entrepreneurship, like, because it just wasn't a discussion.

Speaker 0

我当时有好多小事情在进行。

Like, I had all these little things going.

Speaker 0

我有自己的小小自行车修理铺。

I had my own little my own little bike shop repair.

Speaker 0

我在卧室的壁橱里建了一个办公室。

I built an office in my bedroom closet.

Speaker 0

我总是在做这些事情。

I was always doing these.

Speaker 0

我只是不知道那是什么。

I just didn't know what it was.

Speaker 0

我痴迷于做生意的想法。

I was obsessed with the idea of kind of building business.

Speaker 0

我组建了自行车车队。

I built bike teams.

Speaker 0

我会召集所有孩子,我们一起组队。

I would get all the kids in there, we build teams.

Speaker 0

我一直在组织人们。

I was organizing people.

Speaker 0

我们有,比如,时间表。

We had, like, schedules.

Speaker 0

所以我一直在组建团队、带领团队、创办小企业,而我根本不知道自己在做的就是创业或经营生意。

And so I was always building teams, leading teams, building little businesses, and I just didn't know what I was doing was entrepreneurship or building a business.

Speaker 0

那只是我天生就会做的事,也是我热爱的事情。

That was just what came natural to me and what I loved to do.

Speaker 0

所以她知道我与众不同。

And so she knew I was different.

Speaker 0

因此,当我打算走上一条不同的道路时,她鼓励了我,我永远对此心怀感激,因为有时候,你是唯一一个相信自己的人,这真的很不容易。

So she knew when I was kind of gonna go on a different path, she encouraged that, which was I'm like forever thankful for because, know, it's it's hard to to be the only one that believes in yourself sometimes.

Speaker 0

有多重要

How important

Speaker 1

你周围的人对你的幸福和实现目标有多重要?

are the people you surround yourself with towards happiness and accomplishing your goals?

Speaker 0

我觉得这真的就是一切。

I think it's it's everything really.

Speaker 0

我们来聊聊商业,或者就一般的生活吧。

Let's talk about like business or just life in general.

Speaker 0

你希望身边的人都是朝着同一个方向努力的。

It's like you want people around you that are rowing in the same direction.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

你希望身边的人是有目标的。

Like you want people that have goals.

Speaker 0

你希望彼此能够交流和分享见解。

You wanna be able to swap and share insights.

Speaker 0

你希望彼此能够互相鼓励。

You wanna be able to encourage each other.

Speaker 0

拥有一个优秀的网络或团队,其力量有时也是一把双刃剑,因为虽然优秀的同伴会推动你前进、教你一些你原本不知道的东西,但有时候你也会开始不自觉地想跟别人攀比。

The power of having like a great network or group around you is kind of a double edged sword sometimes too though, because although the like a great network of people are going to propel you forward and teach you things you wouldn't know, sometimes you start to kinda try to keep up with the Joneses a little bit.

Speaker 0

特别是,当我开始在事业上取得一定程度的中等成功时,我的人脉圈开始扩大,我逐渐结识了一些比我先进得多的人。

So in particular, like as I started to get some level of moderate success in business, my network started to grow and I started to become friends with people that were much further ahead than me.

Speaker 0

在那之前五年,我建立自己的事业时还默默无闻,几乎不认识其他也在创业的人,那时我完全按照自己的本心行事,设定的是我认为切实可行的目标。

And it almost led to this insecurity, you know, like for the five years before I was building my business, relatively unknown, didn't really know anyone else building a business, I was really operating authentically and like what I wanted to do and setting goals that I thought was achievable.

Speaker 0

后来我融入了一个思维更加宏大的世界,这在一方面很好,因为能学到更开阔的思维方式,意识到自己之前限制了自己;但同时,我也试图缩短时间跨度,想赶超那些我钦佩的人。

And then I'm immersed in this world where people are thinking much bigger, which is on one hand great, you know, lessons of thinking bigger and and realizing like, oh, I am limiting myself, but at the same time trying to shorten the time horizon to try and catch up to these people that I admire.

Speaker 0

这个过程根本无法加速。

There's just no way to rush that process.

Speaker 0

每当我试图加速这个过程,尤其是在过去几年里,结果都适得其反。

And every time I've tried to rush that process, particularly over the last couple of years, it's ended up backfiring.

Speaker 0

你知道,特别是今年,我有意识地决定:不再这样了。

You know, like this year in particular, I made a conscious effort to be like, no more.

Speaker 0

我要重新回归本心行事,做我觉得正确的事,倾听周围的声音,但加以筛选,最大限度地加以利用,现在一切都顺利多了。

I'm gonna go back to to operating authentically, doing what I feel is right, listening to the device around me, but filtering it and using it to the best of my ability, and it's going so much better.

Speaker 0

我真的又回到了那种本真行事的状态。

It's it's really back in that that way of operating authentically.

Speaker 0

因此,随着你的社交圈扩大,你需要小心,不要过多地拿自己和这些人比较,而只是从他们身上汲取灵感。

And so there is you I think you have to be careful as your network grows that you're not trying to compare yourself to those people as much, and you're you're just gathering inspiration from them.

Speaker 0

当你周围有很多聪明人时,各种想法会不断涌现。

When you're around a lot of smart people too, ideas are gonna start flying.

Speaker 0

你需要有足够的自信和意愿去说:这个想法真棒。

And it's your you need to have the confidence and willingness to say, like, that's a great idea.

Speaker 0

但这个不适合我。

That one's not for me.

Speaker 0

或者你该如何整合这些想法?

Or how do you synthesize those ideas?

Speaker 0

因为在早期,我以为这些人懂得都比我多。

Because in the early days, I thought, well, these people all know a lot more than I do.

Speaker 0

没错,他们可能在商业方面懂得更多,但他们并不比我更了解我的生意。

And sure, they know maybe it's more about business, but they don't know more about my business.

Speaker 0

他们并不了解所有的情况。

They don't have all the context of what's going on.

Speaker 0

他们不理解推出一款新产品所涉及的复杂性。

They don't understand the complexities of simply introducing a new product.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

这牵涉到无数的供应链和营销问题。

Like that has so many supply chain implications, marketing implications.

Speaker 0

是的,没错。

Like, sure.

Speaker 0

我从别人那里得到的最常见建议是:哦,你卖袜子。

Like, the the most common advice I got from people is, oh, you sell socks.

Speaker 0

你有没有考虑过做内裤?

Have you thought about doing underwear?

Speaker 0

我的回答是:当然,我早就考虑过做内裤了。

It's like, yeah, of course, I've thought about doing underwear.

Speaker 0

但这些完全是完全不同的供应链逻辑。

But, like, those are completely different supply chain psychologies.

Speaker 0

现在袜子是中性设计,但其他产品却按性别区分。

Now it's gendered where socks are unisex.

Speaker 0

有很多需要考虑的因素,但表面上看,这建议似乎不错。

Like, there's so many considerations, but on the surface, it's good advice.

Speaker 0

所以我逐渐明白,建议虽然受欢迎且令人感激,但我的责任是整合这些意见,并在合理时加以运用。

And so I've had to really learn that, you know, advice is welcomed and appreciated, but it's my job to synthesize it and actually use it when it makes sense.

Speaker 0

所以,只需不断积累这些信息,并从中理出头绪。

So just start accumulating all of that and making sense of it.

Speaker 0

而且,我已经不再盲目采纳那些不再合理的建议了。

And, you know, I've stopped applying a lot of it when it doesn't make sense anymore.

Speaker 0

学会说‘不’很难,尤其是在你身边都是聪明人的时候。

Being okay with saying no, which is tough when you're surrounded by smart people.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

你有投资者、导师、顾问,他们当然都很聪明,懂得自己在做什么。

You've got investors, you've got mentors, you've got advisors, and of course they're smart, they know what they're doing.

Speaker 0

但我觉得作为创业者,最重要的是要清楚,你最了解自己的业务。

But I think it's really important as an entrepreneur to know, you know your business best.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

建议是为了帮助你指引方向,但有时候它并不适合你去执行。

And the advice is there to help guide you, but sometimes it's not what you should be doing.

Speaker 1

能跟我详细说说你今年具体做了哪些改变吗?

Walk me through some of the changes you made specifically this year.

Speaker 1

比如,今年你在心态、态度和流程上有哪些不同,这些变化让你取得了惊人的成果,而去年你做的却不是这样?

Like what's different between the mindset approach, attitude, processes that you're doing this year that have led to incredible results versus what you were doing last year?

Speaker 0

我想我们谈到的最重要的一点就是放下自我。

I'd say the number one thing we talked about was removing ego.

Speaker 0

别因为觉得某件事‘应该’做就去做,只做真正正确的事。

Let's just not do things because we think they're the thing to do, let's just do the right things.

Speaker 0

我们需要明白,我们不一定能改变市场。

We need to understand that we can't necessarily change the market.

Speaker 0

以我们目前的规模,我们无法创造不存在的需求。

We can't create demand that's not there at our current size right now.

Speaker 0

我们需要接受起起落落,当情况不顺或进入缓慢期时,我们不需要试图人为地拉升业绩。

We need to be okay with the ebbs and flows, and we don't need to when things are not going well or we're a in slower period, we don't need to try and artificially inflate that.

Speaker 0

我们不需要孤注一掷。

We don't need a hail Mary.

Speaker 0

你知道,那种灵丹妙药、各种捷径,对创业者来说太有吸引力了。

You know, silver bullets and like hacks and all these things, they're so appealing to an entrepreneur.

Speaker 0

每个创业者都会想,你就是全身心投入其中。

Every entrepreneur is like, you're just in it.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

这真的很难。

It's so hard.

Speaker 0

当有人提出什么新捷径或新方法时,那种错觉就会出现——以为只要做了这一件事,就能解锁所有问题、解决所有困境、实现全部增长。

And when someone has this new hack or new thing, it's it's that that fallacy of like, oh, that one thing I'm not doing is gonna unlock all of my all of my or solve all of my problems, unlock all of the growth.

Speaker 0

这根本不是真的。

And it's just not true.

Speaker 0

最糟糕的情况是,万一那个万能解法真的奏效了,那就会让你误以为这里真有捷径可走。

And the worst thing that can happen is the the one time that maybe that silver bullet does work because then it it teaches you that, oh, there's hacks here.

Speaker 0

所以我总是提醒自己,如果你运气好碰上了,那就心存感激,但这些捷径通常都不管用。

So I I always kinda caution, like, you get lucky, just appreciate it, but these hacks typically don't work.

Speaker 0

我们最终的做法是延长了时间周期。

What we ended up doing is just extending the time horizon.

Speaker 0

就像我说的,我之前急于求成,但到底是为了什么呢?其实只是我给自己设定了不切实际的期望。

You know, like I said, I was trying to rush before to to for for what reason though to it was literally expectations I had put on myself.

Speaker 0

周围没有人说你必须以某个速度增长,或者必须做某件事。

No one around me was saying you need to grow at x or do y.

Speaker 0

其实只是我自己觉得,需要获得那些早已接纳我的人的进一步认可。

It was really me just feeling like I needed, you know, to gain acceptance of people that already accepted me.

Speaker 0

这有点奇怪。

It was kind of weird.

Speaker 0

这其实只是自我发现的过程,意识到:不。

It was really just the self discovery of being like, no.

Speaker 0

这些人已经接受我了。

These people already accept me.

Speaker 0

我在做我自己的事。

I'm I'm doing what I do.

Speaker 0

我又回到了那个孩子状态。

I'm I'm it's kind of that kid again.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

就像,哦,如果我不持续表现、超越他人、赢得胜利,他们可能就不会再喜欢我,或者不再接纳我了。

Of like, oh, if I don't keep performing and outperforming and winning, maybe they won't like me anymore or I won't be accepted anymore.

Speaker 0

然后我就坦然接受:听着,我必须真实地行事。

And then just being okay with like, look, you know, I have to just operate this authentically.

Speaker 0

我问自己:这个企业二十年后会是什么样子?

And I asked myself, what would it look like for this business to be around in twenty years?

Speaker 0

别管今年我们种什么了。

Forget about what we grow this year.

Speaker 0

我们该如何打造一个能持久发展的企业?

How do we build a business that endures over time?

Speaker 0

这让建设过程变得有趣多了。

And that makes the building so much more fun.

Speaker 0

说真的,我今年又重新爱上了这个产品。

Like, do we actually get back I fell back in love with the product again this year.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

我喜欢袜子。

Like, I love socks.

Speaker 0

你知道的?

You know?

Speaker 0

这话听起来有点奇怪,但我的一个优势就是我真的非常喜爱袜子,也关心这个产品,这种热情也体现在了我们提供的产品中。

It's such a weird thing to say, but one of my superpowers is I actually really love socks and care about the product, and that comes through in the product that we we offer.

Speaker 0

人们也很喜欢,因为我痴迷于不断改进它,而且我很在意用户对它的反馈。

People love them as well because I'm obsessed with making it better and, you know, like, I'm obsessed with the customer feedback around it.

Speaker 0

重新爱上这个产品、服务客户、延长时间视野,而不是让自我ego主导决策,这是一套相当不错的商业成功秘诀。

And falling in love with the product, serving the customer, extending the time horizon, and not doing things because your ego is dictating it, that's a pretty good recipe for business success.

Speaker 0

让我最开心的事情是,现在和团队坐下来讨论未来,感觉我们是昂首向前,而不是被问题追着跑。

The thing that gives me the most joy is, you know, sitting down with our team now and we're we're talking about the future and it feels like we're on our toes and not our heels now.

Speaker 0

他们也感到非常受鼓舞,甚至说,尽管依然有挑战,生意依然非常艰难,但我们能平静地应对这些难题。

And they're also feeling really inspired and they're saying, you know, even when, you know, like, there's still challenges, you know, business is still super hard, but we're dealing with the hard problems calmly.

Speaker 0

我们相信,这个问题我们一定能解决。

We're like, we can figure this out.

Speaker 0

我们已经吸取了惨痛的教训,提前做好了规划,而不是盲目孤注一掷。

We've learned the tough lessons, and we planned for this versus throwing hail Marys.

Speaker 0

以前我们只是在拼命追赶那些根本没那么重要的、随意设定的目标,最终导致了不愉快的工作环境。

You know, it's like we were operating from a position of just trying to play catch up on on hitting our arbitrary goals that didn't really matter, and it ultimately led to an unhappy work environment.

Speaker 0

那真的很有压力,也完全不有趣。

Like, it was just it was stressful, and it just wasn't fun.

Speaker 0

我当时就想,我们为什么要这么做?

I was like, why are we doing this?

Speaker 0

我们做这件事是因为我们享受其中。

Like why we we do this because we we enjoy what we do.

Speaker 0

我们享受学习和进步的过程。

We enjoy learning and improving.

Speaker 0

真正关键的突破在于,最终延长了时间视野,思考什么才能让我们在经营这家企业时感到快乐?

And that was that was the big unlock is is ultimately just extending the time horizon being like, what makes us happy running this business?

Speaker 1

当你思考延长时间视野时,会发现有非常多不同的方式,对吧?

It's interesting when you think about extending the time horizon, there's so many different ways to do that, right?

Speaker 1

不负债经营,意味着我们能以跑马拉松的心态,而不是短跑的方式去运营。

Not going into debt, there's operating from a position where we can run a marathon instead of a sprint.

Speaker 1

不利用客户,而是与他们建立双赢关系,他们将成为你的终身客户。

It's not taking advantage of your customers and treating them as a win win, you're gonna be a customer for life.

Speaker 1

当你想到延长时间视野时,还有没有其他想法冒出来?

Is there anything else that comes to mind when you think of extending the time horizon?

Speaker 0

要拉长时间周期,我首先得尽可能保持身心健康。

In order to extend the time horizon, I need to be physically and mentally as healthy as I can be.

Speaker 0

我们的团队也是一样。

Same with our team.

Speaker 0

如果我们所有人都没法全力发挥,这件事根本行不通。过去十年里,我们的生意和所有行业的生意一样压力重重,这对我的身体造成了很大损耗,尤其是在过去这两年。

This doesn't work if we're not all operating to the best of our ability too, and the business has been so stressful, like any business over the last ten years, that it really took a toll on my body, specifically over the last two years.

Speaker 0

期间我们遭遇了几件压力极大的事,而我当时没能妥善处理这些压力。

We had a few very stressful events, and I didn't deal with them.

Speaker 0

我在工作上把这些事务都处理得很好,但我生活的其他方面、还有我的身体都彻底垮掉了,我也意识到这条路根本走不长久。

I dealt with them well in business, but the rest of my life kind of fell apart in my body and realizing that that's not a sustainable path to go on.

Speaker 0

当了这么久的运动员,再加上年纪轻的时候,我这辈子都攥得太紧了。

Being an athlete for so long and younger in general is like I death gripped through life.

Speaker 0

你懂吗?

You know?

Speaker 0

我早年受伤的时候就学会硬扛着熬过去,那时候总觉得,哦,我只要撑过这段日子就好。

I was just like, I learned very early with the injuries we I rode through is like, oh, you can just just make it through this.

Speaker 0

你可以硬撑着熬过去。

You can just brute force your way through this.

Speaker 0

但这并不是做生意的最佳方式,尤其是当你有长远规划和持久发展的目标时。

And that's not the best approach always in business, and especially if you have an extended time horizon and longevity in mind.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

这就像是,你是选择坚持规律锻炼,还是一周只练一次,然后把自己累垮?毫无疑问,持续性会更好。

It's like the same idea of, are you better off consistently working out or going once a week and just like demolishing yourself and the consistency is gonna be better for sure.

Speaker 0

我今年有三个目标。

I had kinda like three goals this year.

Speaker 0

一是让业务重回正轨,重新变得兴旺且充满乐趣。

It's like, get the business back to a place where we're thriving and having fun.

Speaker 0

二是让我的健康恢复到让我自信、有动力、全身心投入的状态。

Get my health back to a place where I feel confident and inspired and, like, kind of all in on this.

Speaker 0

第三个目标则更私人一些。

And the the third one was a little more personal.

Speaker 0

其实就是,我有了一个新孩子。

It was just like, you know, I had a a new kid.

Speaker 0

我有两个儿子,其中一个今年出生了。

I have two two boys, and one was born this year.

Speaker 0

我真的特别专注于家庭,因为我的第一个孩子出生时,正好是事业最繁忙的时候,而且还是在疫情期间,所以这次我真的想好好享受这个过程。

It was really just like, you know, like, really focused on the family because I had my first kid during, like, the real thick of business and during COVID as well, and, you know, I really wanted to kind of enjoy the process of this.

Speaker 0

所以,家庭、事业和健康就成了三大核心支柱,只有这三方面都整体运转良好,我才能发挥出最佳状态。

So it was kinda like, you know, family business and health were three core pillars, and those things holistically all need to be kind of going well for me to operate at my best.

Speaker 0

我们经常谈论工作与生活的平衡,但说实话,我特别不喜欢创业中这个概念。

You know, we talk about work life balance, which is like I I I hate the concept of it in entrepreneurship.

Speaker 0

对于拿薪水的上班族来说,当然,平衡确实是你应该考虑的事情。

You know, like for for an like a a salaried worker, like, sure, like balance should be, you know, something that you're thinking about.

Speaker 0

但在运动、高强度职业,或者你正在从事的类似领域中,你需要让天平向你这边倾斜。

But in particularly in sport or high performance careers or something that you're doing, it's like you need to tilt the scale in your favor.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

这本身就是没有平衡。

And that's by definition no balance.

Speaker 0

然而,我认为这里被忽视的是,对于像运动员这样的创业者来说,健康和个人关系也是工作的一部分。

However, I think what gets missed here is that part of the work for an entrepreneur like an athlete is like your health and your personal relationships.

Speaker 0

如果这些方面没有处于良好状态,你就无法以100%的效率运作。

If those aren't in a good spot, you're not operating at a 100% efficiency.

Speaker 0

因此,这也是工作的一部分。

And so that's part of the work.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

不属于工作范畴的,可能是参加派对或做那些会拖你后腿的事情。

What's not part of the work is maybe partying or doing things that you shouldn't be doing that are going to set you further back.

Speaker 0

但当我说工作生活平衡是个笑话时,人们会问:那你的健康呢?

But people think about, if I say work life balance is a joke, people are like, Oh, what about your health?

Speaker 0

健康是包含在工作之内的。

Health is included in the work.

Speaker 0

我觉得这也是这件事里极其关键的一部分。

I think it's such an important part of it too.

Speaker 0

就是说,你要怎么才能成为一名高效能的创业者呢?

It's like, how can you be a high performance entrepreneur?

Speaker 0

要怎样才能把局势扭转为对你有利的局面?

How can you tilt the scale in your favor?

Speaker 0

要怎么才能提升成功的概率?

How you change the odds?

Speaker 0

而且我认为,无论是在身体还是心智上保持敏锐、机警、强健的状态,都会给你带来极大的益处,尤其是在企业不断发展的阶段更是如此。

And I think your ability to to be sharper, more alert, physically and mentally fit is is gonna do so so much benefit for you, especially as the business grows too.

Speaker 0

企业在当下这个阶段,非常依赖我保持清晰的思考、输出好的创意、对接各类人脉,而且在开展这些工作时必须状态在线,而这一切都建立在我状态良好的基础上。

The business now in its current stage is much more dependent on me thinking clearly and having good ideas and meeting people and and being on when I do that, And that requires me feeling good.

Speaker 1

我很喜欢你刚才说的“把胜算拉到自己这边”这个说法。

I like how you said tilt the odds in your favor.

Speaker 1

我一直都没法真正理解所谓的“平衡”这个概念。

I've never really understood this concept of balance.

Speaker 1

平衡意味着你在这些事情上完全平等。

The balance implies that you're perfectly equal in these things.

Speaker 1

所以我总是把它看作一幅马赛克。

So I always think of this as like a mosaic.

Speaker 1

你有一个边界,还有不同大小的碎片。

So you have a border and you have different sized pieces.

Speaker 1

其中一些碎片是家庭,一些是工作,一些可能是你的爱好。

Some of those pieces are family, some are work, some are maybe your hobbies.

Speaker 1

健康绝对是其中一个重要部分。

Health is definitely one of the big pieces there.

Speaker 1

它们会缩小,但永远不会消失。

And they shrink and they sort of like, but they can never go away.

Speaker 1

有时候工作会成为更重要的优先事项,有时候则不是。

Sometimes work's gonna be more of a priority, sometimes it's not.

Speaker 1

有时候家庭会占据主导,所以这些碎片会扩大,但它们永远不会完全归零。

Sometimes family's gonna take over, so the pieces expand, but they can never really go to zero.

Speaker 1

健康是所有这些方面最根本的基础。

And health is like so foundational for all of these.

Speaker 1

但当我们忙起来时,第一件事就是做什么?

But when we get busy, the first thing we do is like, what do we do?

Speaker 1

我们跳过午餐,或者随便吃点糟糕的午餐,停止锻炼,睡眠质量变差,然后告诉自己以后再补回来,结果却做出越来越糟糕的决定,变得易怒、烦躁,问题不断恶化。

We skip lunch, or we get a really crappy lunch, we stop working out, we stop sleeping really well, and we think, we tell ourselves that we'll just make up for it later and we start making worse and worse decisions, we're cranky, we're irritable, and it just compounds negatively.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

这几乎注定会导致崩溃。

It it almost ensures destruction.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

所以我现在有一套方法了,因为两年前当我状态不好时,就发生了这样的事。

So I've got a protocol now because that's what happened to me two years ago when when things were going poorly.

Speaker 0

那时我放任自流,结果一连串问题持续了两年,我敢肯定本来可以短得多。

That's where I let go, and it just it cascaded into a two year event, which I'm sure could have been much shorter.

Speaker 0

我只是把它当作运动员那样来对待。

And I just treat it much more like an athlete.

Speaker 0

你知道,如果你受伤了,就会进入恢复流程。

You know, if you're injured, you go into recovery protocol.

Speaker 0

所以,当你在商业中遇到高压事件时,你的恢复流程是什么?

So if you're dealing with a high stress event in business, what's your recovery protocol?

Speaker 0

那是什么样子的?

What's that look like?

Speaker 0

你该如何建立它?

How do you build that?

Speaker 0

你该如何把它融入一个系统并坚持执行?

How do you build that into a system and follow it?

Speaker 0

当这些事情发生时,你不可能一夜之间就解决它们。

When these things happen, you can't solve them overnight.

Speaker 0

所以,比如多工作三个小时,或者说我有时候确实需要熬夜。

And so, like, working extra three hours or, I mean, sometimes you need to stay up late.

Speaker 0

你知道,那段时间我经常熬夜,因为我在和律师们不停地处理邮件往来。

You know, there were late nights because I'm literally on email chains with my lawyers for dealing with stuff.

Speaker 0

但那并不是每晚都这样,也不算特别常见。

But, like, that's not every night and that's not super common.

Speaker 0

你可以适当调节这些事情。

And you can, you know, moderate that stuff.

Speaker 0

忽视健康,这是我发现最糟糕的策略,老实说。

Letting your health go is is kind of the worst strategy I found, honestly.

Speaker 0

因为度过那些艰难时期靠的是韧性与毅力,而如果你放任健康恶化的话。

Because getting through those times is down to resilience perseverance, and if you let your health go.

Speaker 0

而当这种情况发生时,我几乎从未感到过自己做不到某件事。

And when it did, like that's when, you know, very rarely have I ever felt like I couldn't do something.

Speaker 0

两年前,当我健康状况糟糕、正处在最艰难的阶段时,那是我唯一一次觉得:我不确定自己还能撑多久。

When my health was in a poor spot about two years ago going through the thick of it, that was one time where I was like, I don't know if I can do this much longer.

Speaker 0

如果我不好转,我真不知道自己还能不能继续下去,或者我会宁愿把生意卖掉只为换回健康,因为我现在病得太厉害了,根本不想再干了。

Like, if I don't get better, I I honestly don't know if I could do this or I would trade this business to feel better because I'm just so sick right now and I just don't wanna do it anymore.

Speaker 0

那是唯一的一段时期。

That was the only period.

Speaker 0

那就是我的健康状况下滑的时候。

So that's when my health left.

Speaker 1

我当时想,哦。

I was like, oh.

Speaker 1

是那场诉讼吗?

Was that the lawsuit?

Speaker 0

那是那封停止函,它最终促使我们全面重新品牌。

That was the the cease and desist that led to our ultimate rebrand.

Speaker 0

是的。

Yeah.

Speaker 0

那是第一次

That was like the first

Speaker 1

给我讲讲经过。

Walk me through that.

Speaker 0

我们已经在行业内运营了五年,使用的是以前的名字,业务进展非常顺利。

We're five years in the business operating under a former name, and it's going really well.

Speaker 0

2021年,我们上一年的业务同比增长了135%,而我们之前已经保持着平均每年100%的增长速度。

It's 2021, our business that previous year grew a 135% year over year, and we were already growing an average of a 100% year over year.

Speaker 0

所以一切都在稳步上升。

So it was just up into the right.

Speaker 0

我当时身体感觉非常好。

I was physically feeling good.

Speaker 0

我身材很健壮。

I was fit.

Speaker 0

那一年我还跑出了个人半程马拉松的最佳成绩。

I like ran a half marathon PR that year.

Speaker 0

一切都特别顺利。

Like everything was great.

Speaker 0

就是我们认识的那一年,我从一开始就靠自筹资金经营这家公司。

It's the year I think we met and I was raising we bootstrapped the business from the start.

Speaker 0

正如我所说,我开始建立人脉,然后出现了这个筹款机会,这个机会包含三个部分。

And like I said, I started to build a network and this opportunity rose to to raise some money that not only there was kind of three parts to it.

Speaker 0

你知道,其中一部分是个人安全保障。

You know, there was a personal security part to it.

Speaker 0

还有就是首次为业务注资,真正拥有足够的资源来支持我们的投资计划,同时邀请一些我极度渴望的、我敬仰的人加入。

There was capitalizing the business for the first time, like actually having some some firepower behind what we wanna invest in, and then also inviting in some voices that I was so desperate for, of people I admired.

Speaker 0

所以这简直是一个绝佳的机会。

So it was kind of this opportunity.

Speaker 0

我记得曾告诉一群朋友和我妻子:你们根本不可能拿到这笔钱。

I remember telling, you know, a bunch of friends and and my wife being like, you'll never get this.

Speaker 0

我的所有商业偶像,居然都愿意给我钱并投资我的公司。

Like, all my business heroes, like, wanna give me money and invest in the company.

Speaker 0

这感觉简直像在作弊。

Like, this seems almost like cheating.

Speaker 0

这太不可思议了。

This is this is incredible.

Speaker 0

所以我放弃了一个机会。

So I passed on an opportunity.

Speaker 0

但就在钱到账的那天,我们筹集了数百万美元。

But literally, the day the money hit the account, we raised, you know, millions of dollars.

Speaker 0

钱到账了。

It hits the account.

Speaker 0

我收到了律师的一封邮件,主题写着‘紧急’,而这种情况几乎从不意味着好事。

I get an email from my lawyer that says urgent in the subject line, and that's just almost never a good thing.

Speaker 0

发件人是我的知识产权律师,我几乎从没收到过他的消息。

And it's from my IP attorney, which I rarely hear from.

Speaker 0

这是我们收到的第一封停止函,大意是有一家公司声称他们对我们的名称拥有权利,并要求我们做X、Y、Z,其中一项就是停止使用该名称。

It was our first ever cease and desist, and it basically said, there's a company that believes they have rights over your name and is demanding that you do x y and z, and one of those will stop using the name.

Speaker 0

我当时一下子就慌了,因为我们刚刚筹到了这么多钱。

And so I was kinda like immediately just shook because we just raised all this money.

Speaker 0

我们已经经营了五年,到那时为止,在事业和生活中,我遇到的所有问题都是我自己制造的。

We've been in business for five years, and that was the first time, you know, in sport and in business to that point, everything was something that like I was solving problems that I created.

Speaker 0

我没有在和谁对抗。

I wasn't battling somebody.

Speaker 0

我是掌控局面的人。

Like, I was in charge.

Speaker 0

这件事完全超出了我们的控制,我对此毫无头绪。

This was something happening to us that was complete out of control on, and I had no frame for it.

Speaker 0

我以前从未经历过这种事。

I had never gone through it before.

Speaker 0

我也不认识任何经历过这种事的人。

I didn't know anyone that went through it.

Speaker 0

大概半小时里,我觉得这简直是致命一击。

For maybe half an hour, was like, this is a death blow.

Speaker 0

你知道的?

You know?

Speaker 0

我当时有点让自己陷了进去。

Like, I was kinda like let myself in.

Speaker 0

其实你知道吗,我当时给你打了电话。

You know, I called called you actually.

Speaker 0

我还给其他几个人打了电话。

I called a few other people.

Speaker 0

当时我就想着,行吧。

Was like, okay.

Speaker 0

虽说这种事并不少见,但那时候压力真的太大了。

Like, this is not uncommon, but it was incredibly stressful.

Speaker 0

这最终让我们开启了长达六个月的品牌重塑与更名之路,对于一家已经经营了五年的企业来说,这个过程的复杂程度难以想象。

It basically led us onto this six month journey of rebranding and changing our name, and that's an incredibly complex process for a business that's been around for five years.

Speaker 0

而且你根本不知道该从哪开始着手梳理品牌宣传的内容,你懂的吧?

And how do you even start that process of, you know, the messaging?

Speaker 0

到底要取个什么样的名字才能行得通?

What is a name that's going to work?

Speaker 0

还有压力,我觉得说到底,所有的压力都来源于不能把这件事搞砸。

And the stress, I think ultimately the stress came down to was not messing it up.

Speaker 0

对吧?

Right?

Speaker 0

那时有那么多人依赖着我。

I had so many people that relied on me at that point.

Speaker 0

我有年幼的家庭,有员工,有投资者,感觉整个世界都压在我肩上。

I had a young family, I had employees, I had investors, I had what felt like the world on my shoulders.

Speaker 0

他们当中没有一个人给我施加压力。

None And of them were putting that pressure on me.

Speaker 0

是我自己给自己的压力,因为我跟你说过,我把这些责任看得极其重要。

I put it on myself because I told you I take these responsibilities incredibly seriously.

Speaker 0

有人把钱给我,或者相信我,就像我说的,我有责任做好。

Someone gives me money or bets on me, like I said, like, it's my duty to do right.

Speaker 0

所以我不会不全力以赴,我也必须学习。

And so I wasn't gonna not put a 110% effort into it, and I had to learn.

Speaker 0

于是,我在接下来的六个月里,一夜之间变得对知识产权法相当了解,弄清楚了方方面面,与最好的律师合作,找到了最优秀的人才,一步步推进重新品牌化的过程,探索品牌究竟是什么。

So I basically overnight, like over the the next six months became quite educated on IP law and figuring out kind of everything and working with the best attorneys and we found the best people and working through the rebranding process and kind of going through discovery of what is a brand.

关于 Bayt 播客

Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。

继续浏览更多播客